Speaker 1: Oh, you know, nothing much.
Speaker 2: It's a it's a coffee at four pm kind of day.
Speaker 1: No, no, no, you know, you know how it be, you know how it is? Ye loving that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they released a new like an Elden Ring spin off game that I'm not even going to go into all of it, but basically, like you just do runs. You do runs in it, and you pick up random weapons, you fight some bosses, and you keep doing runs. It's kind of like a roguelike. It's kind of like Fortnite about a royale type thing, but like it's just so fucking addicting. But the problem is that every game you play takes like forty minutes, like oh it does you have a team of three, you have like this limited area, like you have to do all this stuff, and so like, you know, it's one of those things where it's like you play and you're like, this is so much fun. This is so much fun. This is so much fun to having so much fun. But like, you know, if it's like a eleven or you know, like eleven, yeah, yeah, okay, well I'll just do one more and then by the time you're done, it's at least twelve to fifteen. If not. I mean, you know, it could take a little longer, and just like anyway, yeah, I'm tired from being.
Speaker 1: A nerd having too much fun.
Speaker 3: Yeah pretty much?
Speaker 2: You what, like, look, no one understands the plight of the nerd, right, Like I'm constantly doing this with like one more chapter or just or I just need to get to a stopping point. That's my big one.
Speaker 3: Like I'll just my wife loves to My wife will be like, hey, can we do this thing that we've talked about doing. Let me get to a stopping point, and I'll know that that means that I have like thirty minutes to kill because like she's just like, let me get to the end of this chapter and like I'll come back like twenty minutes later. And I'm like, so, how many chapters you've read since then? Oh? Like three?
Speaker 2: Like oh okay, yeah, good god good Yeah, Look like you know a chapter isn't all sleeping point we all do.
Speaker 3: I mean I literally just said that I do it with a stupid video game.
Speaker 2: Yeah it's true, it's and you know the person who suffers as me, you know and possibly my charming co host. But you know, not if I drink enough coffee.
Speaker 1: It'll be fine.
Speaker 3: It'll be fine. They won't even be able to tell. It's not like I'm on uppers or anything. What do you guys talk about, Like did you just do coke for the first time before? It is no, no, I never don't go never No. Uh you wist start a band like I think we really do, like a really great electronica band. It'd be great. You just like I can't, Like I think I've told the story before, I never do coke in my life because, uh, this NBA player Lynn Bias, he was drafted by the Celtics and uh he died. He died from uh he he did coke and he had this unknown heart defect. And the story was like, oh he did like he did this because uh he the first time he ever did coke, like it did this to him. And I know it's false. I know that that's a like Fabrica, like dore fabric, and that he and that he died not because he like did coke because but because he has an nownhearted defect. But every time I've ever been offered, I like terror, like flop sweating terror, like I can't, like, I cannot turn my brain off of it. That the first time I did, like I already did, I'd be like.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, like Nancy Reagan's got to you.
Speaker 3: But I'll say, you know, no, I'm I'm not immune. I am not immune to propaganda. Give me the Garfield thing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, God, no completely, and like I just gotta say to you anyway, you're not missing out.
Speaker 1: Coke is a drug for boring people so that they can feel like they're interesting. That's that's what it is.
Speaker 3: Like yeah, yeah, you know, to each their own, it's uh, you know, it's it's whatever you want to do. But like, man, I I just have no uh.
Speaker 1: I mean, it's like endemic to London, like to the point that like our poor eels are on coke. Uh so like.
Speaker 3: Hey, hey, hey, you want go to Hey hey hey, oh here's here's a new one over here. Maybe we go over here here. It's nice, but why are we all talking to fast all said, I don't understand.
Speaker 2: Eels texting me at one on a Tuesday asking if I want to go to Dalston Superstore things of this nature, you know, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 3: Hey, have you ever been to have you ever been to Glastonbury? Like the city, like, uh, the festival, like yeah, it was like three months ago, like oh yeah, yeah, I meant to sit You're like wait what like, no, extreme, have you just been watching uh like Glastonbury videos on YouTube? No? No, no, no no, hey do you want to come on YouTube videos to me? Like yeah cool cool? Yeah, anyway, Uh that's coke chit. This has been coke chat Yeah yeah they yeah, dare got to be on exactly one thing. I mean. Also, I'd never do Heroine because terrified and needles, but that's another thing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah under any that.
Speaker 3: Nope, train spotting was.
Speaker 2: Really effective there too, where it's just like I'm good, like you know, so it was really more the art around heroin.
Speaker 1: But you know, also, yeah, I'm not doing.
Speaker 3: No needle like I'm the boring drug guy.
Speaker 1: Screen name boring.
Speaker 3: Dad, you know whatever that's cry don't.
Speaker 1: Really standard issue we dad.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Yeah, but like I just but like, uh, you know, I just nothing wrong with that they got there there, got to mean damn damn propaganda. It's insane. Yeah. Yeah, what's what's going on with you other than hanging out with some cooked up eels?
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, me and the eels have been big on it. I don't no man, Like I ruined my week by like I was doing a shoot with my my friend and colleague Ben Smoke on Tuesday, and it was one of these things where they specifically wanted us to get drunk, and I was like, say no more, fan.
Speaker 1: You know, but unfortunately.
Speaker 2: For me, I cannot drink all day long anymore, or at least I thought not so like. I lost a day yesterday where I just had to like sit on the couch and eat as much cheese as possible just to kind of recover yesterday, which isn't great in terms of productivity.
Speaker 1: We'll just say that, you know. Should I be writing a book right now?
Speaker 3: Yes?
Speaker 1: What was I doing?
Speaker 2: Attempting to figure out which white person was which in the latest season of Love is Blind?
Speaker 1: It was very confusing. I couldn't really tell them.
Speaker 2: Apart and also Love is Blind and a hundred percent yo, I gotta tell you what.
Speaker 3: Face blind for these whities?
Speaker 2: Yeah, Like dude, Like apparently if you're like some white guy from Minnesota, I've got no chance like there. Yeah, So I needed something like dull that I could kind of ignore. So I did that with the cat, who was delighted because she's like.
Speaker 1: Oh shit, you got the duvet on the couch. What's up you hung over girl? This is great? You know.
Speaker 2: So so sometime with the cat, didn't really get up to much but book writing. Hmmm ah, oh, et cetera. Ye, got a little a little bit of psycond damage there. But you know, did get drunk in the ruins of Cistercian Abbey. So that was fun, you know, there you go drinking on other people's dive.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we need to do a need to do a live show at the ruins of Whitby Abbey where we just sit in there and talk about fifteen fifteen people make it out because the weather's bad, like you know, there's no know way, like all the equipment is running off of like portable batteries. You know.
Speaker 1: Like I'm in I love you know.
Speaker 3: Yeah that's so cool. Yeah I want to go stand in the bones of something that is like centuries old.
Speaker 1: It's a good thing. It's a good feeling.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I like that. It's I'm I'm a big kind of big guy, and I don't really get to feel small. It's nice when I just get to be like, yeah, I'm pretty tiny in significant life. That's interesting. I don't think, like, I don't think I'm a significant person, but like you know, grand scheme of things like oh no, oh, oh, what the fuck happened? Can you still hear me? My monitor just switch off? You know what, It's fine. We you know, we've this is well trodden territory. I don't know why the fuck my monitor just completely switched off. I thought my I thought my computer had been turned off by accident. And then I heard you laughing, and I went, did I imagine that? I was like, I was like, there's because I thought it was turned off. I was like, did I just hear like a phantom laugh like? And then I heard yeah, And then I was like, oh god, all right, anyway, you know what, let's let's talk about Let's get into it. Let's talk about the end of of of old Andy.
Speaker 1: Our good friend, our good pal Andy.
Speaker 3: Yeah, hello, and welcome back to We're Not So Different, a podcast about how dare got to me about the len Bias thing, his.
Speaker 1: Bastards, how dare you?
Speaker 3: To this day, like, I feel like such a fucking rube about it. I'm like, like I don't want to do coke. I just feel like a rube. I'm like, I know that's fake, Like why am I afraid? You know what, It's fine, It doesn't matter anyway, Folks, Today we are here, we here, are here to doff our caps to the end of all, honngolous. It's the last of our of our series. But yeah, before we get there, as we usually do, we have a couple of questions from our patrons. Uh, do we have any contemporary accounts of people reacted to exotic travelogues before the advent of god damn it, of mass travel. If you had one guy like Oderic of porting On talking about cormorant fishing and footbinding, biased but broadly correct, and another like John Mandeville talking about one legged giant's a dog face men entirely made up but in keeping with classical ideas about quote unquote the orient would you have any reason to take one as more or less fantastical than the other.
Speaker 1: Well, I guess it tends to come down too.
Speaker 2: And what we don't really know about the general public, right, I mean, we only really get to know about what monastic audiences say about this. They do a thing where they privilege eyewitness information higher, and that is certainly the case, and so for example, we will see this in a similar thing happen in medical texts. So for example, people will say, yes, and I've done this and it worked, right, which in order to talk about particular medicines, because sometimes they're just writing down some medicine like Hypocrates suggested, you know, like a millennia ago, and whether or not that works is kind of like up for grabs. So people do understand, for example, that Marco Polo's discussions are you know, correct and accurate, and that tends to get promulgated a little bit more. And I suppose what we end up seeing as a result of those is we see the map of Mundi change, right, So we see that, you know, when we get more information about places from people, the maps will change. So they're like, oh yeah, the stuff like the kind of pods and like the Lemier they've changed.
Speaker 1: Location, right, you know, so you know like where they are kind of like looking a little bit more like India.
Speaker 2: And everyone's like, oh, never mind, I think that they're up like you know, arc angelsk now you know that, And I.
Speaker 3: Do I do love, like I really love that, Like they wouldn't just finally be like yeah, those things aren't real, Like it would always just be oh that they're in like the new far this way, a place that we don't really know anything about. So like at first it's you know, it's like two towns over, and then it's you know, a principality over, it's in the other kingdom or you know, on the other side of it, and by the end it's like, yeah, it's camp Chatka, like it's up there, like it's next to Alaska, and uh and in the Korean Peninsula. You're like, wait, what exacts.
Speaker 2: It's very much like, sorry, Mario, our princesses in another castle, right.
Speaker 3: So they got me coffin, You got me coffin.
Speaker 1: It's like one hundred percent.
Speaker 2: So they do know that eyewitness information is more important and they will privilege that more highly. But they are also not we'd. They're not willing to let go of their weird little guys. They love a little a weird little guy, so they just.
Speaker 1: Want to hold on to that. Basically, Yeah, yeah.
Speaker 3: And look, I can't blame him. I'm always uh, I'm thinking about Yoda quite often because he's just like I'm not even gonna get into it. But there's like this whole, like because because of like a few things that happened in the original movies, Uh, they now go all in on like having Yoda have these like really goofy ass faces like in like comics or or animated stuff or whatever, and like I have an entire group chat that's literally just like people sitting each other fucked up picts of Yoda, like just like, like I swear of God, there's one where they made him look like fucking Samuel L. Jackson, Like it's concept art or something, but it's like who why who? Just why? What? What? Why did you? Anyway? Yeah?
Speaker 2: See, you know like it is a deeply human urge. It's a deeply human urge to draw a little guy.
Speaker 3: That's it, it is, it is. Yeah, yeah, Sie, thank you very much for the question. Next one we got is uh from a web in Sweden is an iqbu Hm. I just thought how extensive and efficient were sewers in the Roman era, cause that might be how Antiquity scored such a propaganda coup over the Middle Ages.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so there are really good sewers, very.
Speaker 2: Specifically in the city of Rome. But what I mean by this is that they are extensive.
Speaker 1: They are not effective. Okay, so they're like they're there.
Speaker 3: They are gorgeous, monumental buildings, amazing.
Speaker 1: But yeah, yeah, and they will make it so that.
Speaker 2: A lot of people get to have a private latrine in their house which the sewers will sweep through. Where is that emptying? I will tell you it's in the river. Like disease is still incredibly fucking rampant, right, So what it is good at doing is clearing waste. It's not good at clearing it sufficiently so that it's not going to.
Speaker 1: Make you sick. And we still see, for example, laws on the.
Speaker 2: Books in Rome that are like, please stop throwing your chamber pots in the street, like in the same way that we see them in like medieval in the medieval period, right where they're like, you can't just fucking do that.
Speaker 1: What are you doing?
Speaker 2: You know? And if the laws are there, it means that people are doing it, right, yeah, So and not everybody gets to have the sewer's like obviously wealthy people do, poor people don't, et cetera, et cetera.
Speaker 3: Right, I'm just I'm laughing at myself imagining like a sovereign citizen or like a magna carta type guy in Italy who's just like, there's nothing, there's nothing on the books that says I can't throw shit up my window, and they're like, no, actually there is, and he's like, damn, damn, there was no fringe on the flat anyway. That's a stupid thing, American thing.
Speaker 2: But yeah, yeah, like you know, a lot of the time, the public latrins are like here's a wooden board where you and your homie can shit next to each other and like uh, and that goes into a ditch and then like the and then water runs.
Speaker 1: Through the ditch.
Speaker 3: I love pictures of Roman of like the toilets and Roman bathhouses because it'll either be like two people stare at like their life directly. Yeah, we're going to stare deeply into each other's eyes until this is over. Or it's like thirty five people in a room sitting next to each other that are like spread out like kind of in like a semicircle. But there you're still a like just like fantastic.
Speaker 1: Just letting it rep bibs. So I mean, yeah, like the.
Speaker 2: Thing is, it's it's kind of more of a convenience than a sanitation thing, and that is just what we have to understand about like essentially the pre Victorian world is that you're never really gonna get sanitation essentially with it, because it's just impossible to kind of like move that much waste perfectly until the advent of modern plumbing. And that's why I like living now, thank you.
Speaker 3: Yep. Yeah, I mean, like I think it's possible, you know, to uh to think about these things in both instances because they are like conveniences and they did still leave uh you know, shit everywhere and everything like that. But at the same time, like these people were doing some fucking monumental stuff and it's not just Rome, Like I mean, the aqueducts in Rome are incredible. The sewer systems for the time, they are incredible. But like a thing to remember is like, you know, one of the first human civilizational inventions is like irrigation, Like that's something we've always done. And like when we talked about Byzantium Constantinople, I mentioned it, but like they had these cisterns. They're so big that one of them now houses a sixty thousand person soccer stadium. Yeah, it's just in an old cistern. That's fucking insane. Do you know how long it takes to build a soccer stadium now, And they built something bigger than that, just a whole water. They had like six or seven of them, and I mean, like they're in I've talked about I've talked about ankor Watt and the Khmer Empire there in the Middle Ages, and they built like basically cisterns that were fresh water that were so big they were freshwater lakes, like they were just massive, and they could they could feed or I'm sorry, they could water uh the cities for like years and you know, so like these these monumental things they did are breathtaking and huge and beautiful. It's just that, yeah, they're not sanity. They're not going to get you sanitation because they can't. That's not a possible thing. There aren't enough If even if you were like, okay, I want to remove all the ship from my city, how many people and how long would it take to like get all of that out or to clear out like the sewer, like you know where the sewer drains into like it would take that. It would take half the city working on you know, it's like you just can't do it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and yeah, and fundamentally, it's like it is a really good sewer system for what it is, but most people, but it doesn't go.
Speaker 1: To most people's houses. No, nor it's it's like it goes, it goes.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean like if you're stopped by the coliseum, Yeah, that is hooked up. Rich people's big ass houses are hooked up. But like you live in an insula, which is like an apartment building, and like maybe there's a luk trene on the ground floor that's hooked up, but you're not going to go all the way down from the fifth floor in the middle of the night, So you use a chamber pot and you dump it on the street and no one's cleaning the streets, homeboy.
Speaker 3: So yeah, it's yeah, it's uh, it's one of those things you know that happens with the Roman Empire a lot. Unfortunately you're like, damn, that's really cool. But then you also have to take there has to be but I'm not going to base my life on that or try to return to it because they built a sewer system a long time ago, because that is cool, it's fucking amazing, but like, yeah, it's it's it's revolutionary in terms of like the ability to build that is not revolutionary in terms of sanitation or like moving waste.
Speaker 2: Yeah, completely, and you know it is. It is cool, it is interesting. It is not something that happens for everybody.
Speaker 1: So yeah, that's yeah, Yeah.
Speaker 3: We've been Sweden isn't a kivu. Thank you very much for the question. If you want to ask us questions like this, please do subscribe to our Patreon, Patreon dot com such wnstpod. You get all of these episodes ad free, you get bonus episode, you get two bonus episodes a month. Last time we did part four of The de Cameron and next week we'll be out with the part two of our review of season two of and Or. So yeah, check that out. Five dollars a month. You can get on the discord where we have three hundred people who have joined the Discord. There is not three hundred active members, but hey, we love all the people. We love all the people who are in there, and yeah, I think that's pretty cool. So yeah, check it out Patreon, slash wi, nistypod. It's a neat and you'll like it anyway. Yeah, onto the show. So sometime in the fall of fourteen eighty seven, CE the whole long history when the seven hundred rule seven hundred years of Muslim rule in Iberia once again fell squarely on the shoulders of Abu Abdallah Mohammad the twelfth, the twenty second Nazared Sultan of the Emirate of Grenada for the second and final time. Five years before. Mohammad the twelfth became ruler upon the abdication of his father and immediately sought to invade Castile to again lost territory, but was captured and imprisoned during the campaign. Without a leader, Mohammad's father returned to Alhambra to rule again before dying a short time later. Upon his death, his uncle, Mohammad the twelfth's great uncle became the new sultan, becoming the twenty third Nazared Sultan, but not the last one, and taking the regnal name Muhammad the thirteenth, just to make things confusing. However, in fourteen eighty seven, Mohammad the twelfth was able to reclaim the sultandom from his great uncle in a coup that saw Alhambra change hands between Muslim rulers for the last time, and so Mohammed the twelfth retook the throne, but there was a serious problem. The Emirateive of Granada was the last holdout Muslim polity in Iberia and had been since thirteen forty four, occupying a small rump territory on the far southern coast of modern day Spain, surrounding Granada, Malaga and al Maria. The kingdoms of Castile and Aragon had become continental powers in their own right and were on the cusp of formally unifying, which would lead to Spain becoming the first true global superpower with the conquest of the Americas. Had he wanted to continue to fight indefinitely, there's no doubt the Emirate could have held out for some time, but the writing was literally on the wall. There was no reverse seeing these losses in no way for a Muslim state so far from the levant, there was no way that it could hope to stand against the weight of history and the hegemonic forces swirling around Western Europe at the time. But that's the thing. Mohammed the twelfth didn't want to hold out and hope for a miracle. Quite the opposite. In fact, whatever initial opposition he showed in his first Revenis campaign as Sultan against the Christian push further south into Iberia when he initially took the throne. The Mohammed the twelfth who took it back, was a much changed man, far from the brass streak of Muslim or Vanchism he showed in his youth. The later Mohammad the twelfth was a plant in stooge for Queen Isabella of Arragon and King Ferdinand of Castile. He had been let out of prison and given the porcess to size power once again, on condition that he turned Granada into a tributary kingdom of the Christians. In the truest sense of the term. He was controlled opposition for Granada's enemies, installed by the Catholic monarchs to ensure the final act of the reconquista. Now a full fledged ideological tentative, Catholicism was a formality. In the end, all the rich cultural, religious, military, scientific and societal legacy of all Andulus would be brought to a close, not with the bang of a decisive battle, with a backroom deal and a faith to complea folks. The final episode of al Andalous and it's real closing time hours here for our Moorish protagonist. But we're gonna sit them out in the style and talk about the final three centuries of Muslim rule on the peninsula. We'll finish up by talking about the fall of the al Mooviz, the Almahad's, the overwhelming Christian push south, and the final ignominies in in fourteen ninety two. Somehow not the worst thing that actually happened in forty thirty two. Yeah, and Columbus was apparently at the Treaty of It doesn't matter. He was at the Treaty of Granada too, which is for.
Speaker 1: Dad in Isabelle are responsible for a lot of shit.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, true, yeah, yeah, Eleanor.
Speaker 3: This is clearly a story of the decline involve of al Andelouce. But let's get some context first. For the entire series, we've been saying that the Christian reconquest was not a unified effort by numerous kingdoms working under a common ideology. But what material and political factors began to change so that it could become a reconquista as it is sometimes commonly thought of today.
Speaker 2: Okay, so one of the big things that happens after this point in time is we've invented crusading, right, So.
Speaker 1: That's like, yeah, like that that's a problem, right.
Speaker 2: A problem is that there has now become this very specific thing where there's an idea that Christians go out and they ethnically cleanse a place, or that they have the grounds and wherewithal to do that. Now that you know, this isn't to say that Arsians didn't fight Muslims at various points time, but like, you know who's fighting who in Sicily, girl, I don't know, right, Like there's all sorts of things going on, and you know, sometimes one group is up and the other one is down and nobody really knows. But increasingly, over the High Medieval period and then into the Late Medieval period, we're seeing these crusades that are called against varying groups of people. So yeah, it's not just like you know, the first Crusade, which is the obvious one, which doesn't really lead to very much directly in terms of the Iberian Peninsula, but stuff like, for example, the Alpagenzine crusade, that's a lot more like oh okay, like, yeah, you can go in your own backyard and you can attempt to muck out certain peoples. I think certainly the quote unquote success of the Christianization of the Baltic is in here where it's like, yeah, we've finally managed to subdue these rebels Estonians, right, and we've managed to Christianize them. So there's this idea that it is possible to take over these places. I mean, definitely in the fifteenth century the Crusades against the Hoosites. Do they all fail, Yeah, but we are establishing this particular narrative wherein you go in and do these things. I think, especially in terms of towards the later medieval period, when you know this finally happens, and indeed you know on the Iberian Peninsula. My argument is that when the Christians take back over, like you're like you're done, like fourteen ninety two, that is sorry, but that's to me, that is the early modern.
Speaker 1: Period if you're in Iberia at the end.
Speaker 2: And I think that what is happening here and what really helps the narrative is stuff like the rise of the Ottomans over in the east.
Speaker 1: So there is a much.
Speaker 2: Larger existential threat that these guys think that they are facing. Because you know, the Turklus in his art constantinoble right always and so it's like they're like, well, damn, bro, I'm going to be so real with you, I can't tell the difference between like a Turk and a Spanish person if if they are if they are a Muslim of some description, and so you. When the Automans take over Constantinople, this gives a bigger rallying point I think for the people in the Iberian Peninsula to say, okay, like, yeah, that's it, We're mucking these guys out now, like we're going.
Speaker 1: To get rid of it. Because also they don't understand.
Speaker 2: How how like that society is working, right, Like Muslim society necessarily is always going to be this melting pot because of the way religious law works.
Speaker 1: But Christians don't have that same necessity.
Speaker 2: You know, they kind of want they just want a group of Jewish people over there, you know, to keep for.
Speaker 1: The end times and then other than that, you know whatever. And I mean, I think.
Speaker 2: Also part of this does also have to do with kind of like the early modern turn things like well, yeah, and we can also get rid of Jewish people while we're at it, because we don't even need them to lend money anymore, because like the cat's out of the bag there, right, we don't even care. And yes, and Muslims are not Jewish people, but you know they're like, I don't know, it's not a Christian, it's this kind of person who's living here and not eating pork, you know, So like who's to say what's good or bad? So I think that there's all these these real structural things that are changing at the time that really lead to it, and it's kind of a slow creep. It's easy now for us to go, yeah, and then this is all kind of like one progression, but fundamentally we are talking about like a three hundred year period over which this happens, so yeah, yeah, And I suppose a thing is to kind of keep in mind too, from the perspective of the.
Speaker 1: Beginning of this.
Speaker 2: You know, it's really easy to kind of talk about the later period because we've just got better sources and it's so close to time for us. Is that I do think that kind of the al Morivid conquest of Iberia somehow felt more foreign right where you have in terms of like the Umiads, they are a group who's been there for quite some time, you know, like no one by the time you get to the High Medieval period is like oh yeah, hell yeah, man, I was a Visigoth, Like, oh no, my beautiful Visigothic culture has been trammeled upon right where it's a lot easier to kind of say, oh, well, yeah, you know, there they are Muslim and I'm Christian, but they sure have been in you know, Granada for a really long time, like I don't know, but has until late I always been like this, you know, that makes a little bit more sense, Whereas I think there is kind of a feeling about the al more of its as being a slightly more other And certainly that's also kind of true if we're kind of like comparing and contrasting like Umiyad faith practices and now more of it once, right, because like as Obians are like, yeah, what's up, I'm drunk, and Christians are like, well, so true best, like aren't we all?
Speaker 1: Aren't we all?
Speaker 2: But when the al Morbit's come in and they're like you need to knock all that shit up, Christians are like, well what the fuck is this?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 1: You know?
Speaker 2: And I think that there is this sort of tendency to kind of then begin to look at these people as though they are a little bit more foreign, just because they're a little bit newer. There's a little bit of a shift in terms of what the culture is like, and it is coming a little bit more from Morocco than it had been doing because it had kind of settled, hadn't it, And it sort of settled into like being this particular Iberian thing. And now we've got a new influx of outside things. And you know, there's nothing wrong with that. In fact, I would argue that there's a lot that's really good about that. But it just makes it easier to tell a story about us versus them.
Speaker 1: And when you have.
Speaker 2: A new influx of people who are coming from over it's easier to say, yeah, Muslims come from overseas, yeah right, because you know you've been you've been hanging out in the story, yes, right, you've been hanging out in Barcelona, and you've been here.
Speaker 1: The whole time. And now there's like a new kind of Muslim.
Speaker 3: Muslim came from overseas. You're like, you mean the straight across the Strait of Gibraltar, which you can cross in like a dinghy, Like.
Speaker 1: You could swim that broke yeah, bro, you could.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you could swim stop on a rock in the stop on a rock and then you know, swim again like yeah, it's yeah, yeah, but you know you're you're absolutely right, like you know, we're making light of it, but yeah, that's that's a solid uh propaganda dub that is still being used today, a version of it anyway, you know, Oh, it's the other's fault. This is happening there from overseas or across the border or whatever, you know, fortress or a fortress America, et cetera, et cetera. Yeah, so the when when the almore of it's took over in eleven or I'm sorry, in about about the late the late eleventh century, they they extended their power over southern Iberia. But as Eleanor said, they had come from from the mcgreb from north uh, northwestern Africa, so you know Marrakesh, Fez, Morocco, and then you know down towards Uh, towards where the Ghana Empire was and at the time anyway, and uh, there's gonna be this continuing thing where like even though Marrakech, Marrakesh and Seville and Cordoba are not very like far from each other in terms like you still have to sail across a certain amount of like you know, of sea to get there, like it's still like getting there as a problem. And when you've got like forces pushing down on them from the north, while you're also trying to like hold on to rule in your base in Morocco, you're kind of going to start putting less emphasis on al Andalous and more emphasis on the mcgreb and that part. And that's going to be what happens, because you know, the Almrvids they were able to stop the Christian advance south like they they were for you know, for a time, but in the early in the twelfth century, they really start they start to wane. And that's when once the Almoravids are removed or remove themselves or fall apart or however you want to say it, that's the existential nature of this conflict sets in. For al Andalous. There's no there's no coming back from that, like given the politics of the time and everything, because any group that sets up in Morocco in Marrakesh is again going to be based in there or Fez or you know, somewhere like that. They're not going to be based in the comparatively smaller and shrinking you know, Seville, you know, Granada, et cetera. Yeah, so the yeah, as I said, the North African power base of the al Morovitz came under attack and they started to withdraw and they loosened their grip, and in eleven forty seven they would officially fall to the Almohad Caliphate and Iberia would enter another brief Taypha period where they broke into the small competing states again, and you know, it zoomed kind of what they had with the old type of period, but because they've been pushed so far south by this point, by like eleven forty seven, they controlled land just north of Sevilla and Cordoba, and that's about it. And it wasn't like the last type of period. But there were so many and they were so strong, and they were so big that when they broke into twenty something states they could still hold off the Christians and fight amongst themselves. Now it was a huge problem, and the Alma had saw that immediately and went over there and tried to stabilize Iberia. But by that point, the Christians had already retaken Kuenka, Lisboa which is modern day Lisbon, Tortosa and more. And you know, it's just if you're ruling, if you're a Berber kingdom from North Africa, going to have trouble ruling al andulous, both because it's its own kind of cultural thing by this point of hundreds of years of Umid slash quasei Umid rule and yeah, they just your focus is going to be on home, not Spain.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I.
Speaker 2: Think that really this this type of period kind of really fucks them because uh, you know, the typhos are always an issue. But essentially, what kind of happens at this point in time is I think if the various Taipha kingdoms could have like calmed down and like stopped fighting each other, they would have stood more of a chance. But what kind of happens here is you know, again, because we talk about this in terms of saying, oh, it's a reconquista and like everyone it was always like Muslims versus Christians, that simplifies it to this point where it's like, oh yeah, and then this is just kind of like this inter civilizational struggle. But if you ask the Typhos, they were like, oh yo, hey fuck Ganada. They're like, you know, Zarago says like I fucking hate those guys, right, So they are constantly fighting each other, probably more than they are actually fighting Christians, and they don't have the armies to do that, so they're hiring Christian mercenaries like Elsie to do it. In order to pay these mercenaries, their taxes are through the fucking roof, right, They're like taxing the shit out of their people at the time, And so there is no concerted Muslim effort to shore up against the Christians, whereas Christians have a more nominal story that they're telling about this, where Christians have and you know, Christians have this kind of guiding theological principle and story that they're telling about this, and like, yeah, okay, they also will fight each other, like I mean, they absolutely will, but they are a little just a bit more like, yeah, I'm going to press down, I'm looking for more land that way, whereas the Teipha are hundred percent under no circumstance is going to say, oh I'm going to I'm going to treat you better than like anyone else, because they're just kind of squabbling for what power people can get. So by the time you have the al more of its really facing outside pressure, they don't have anyone else they can go to for help, you know, the first type of period basically when things get too hot, they're like, oh, more of it, please help, And then the Morvids are like, oh, yeah, okay, here we are.
Speaker 1: But then when you can't do that anymore, where does that leave you? All Right? So the fractuous.
Speaker 2: Nature of it, which is kind of what helped initially, ends up bringing it down.
Speaker 3: I would argue, Yeah, it's you know, the circumstances they changed, and they couldn't They just couldn't handle the shift.
Speaker 2: It was.
Speaker 3: It was too much the forces aligned against them, even know those forces themselves fought were just too powerful. And you're too far from uh, you're too far from from Americash. You're certainly too fucking far from Constantinople and uh Cairo and bagh Dad. So yeah, it's just that's I mean, it's not inevitable, but like at this point, it kind of is unless you have some kind of like insane black Swan event, like you know, I don't know, like a fucking second Black Death or some shit, I don't know, but like, yeah, it's just but yeah, I think that's can't do it. Yeah, That's a.
Speaker 2: Good point too, because you know, again, like the fractious nature of the Muslim kingdoms also means it's like, I'm sorry, Conceptinople is not coming to help you.
Speaker 1: No, Like they do not care.
Speaker 2: They are one hundred percent do not care about like what the fuck is going on over in you know, the Ibery Peninsula. They're not going to show up as a result of this. You know, there is absolutely no way bag Dad cares. They like maybe Egypt does, like maybe like maybe Tunisia does.
Speaker 1: Could be, but you know, they've they've got their own issues and they're and they're fighting, and they're all fighting with each other.
Speaker 2: Right, So these are not these are not people who see themselves as being part of like a contiguous world that needs to justify itself in opposition to Christendom. They don't have that same umbrella story that they're telling, whereas you certainly do get that out of like a Barcelona and Astorias and places like that. You know, they they're they're able to tell like a more convincing story about what is supposed to be happening, right.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, And you know it's just you can't you can't do anything about it. So when the when the Almoheads took control of Marrakesh and then forty seven, they did move into southern Iberia, and they did for a time put another hold onto the Christian push south. They won a crushing victory against Castile at the Battle of Alarcos in eleven ninety five, and they even proclaimed a small bit, a small amount of territory again, but that would be the last delaying action. Beginning in the thirteenth century, the Christian push south was unstoppable and something of a foregone conclusion. As the Almohads when you know it, they consolidated power in North Africa because they were under attack, and they pulled resources away from Iberia in the process, and this led to a large alliance of Christian forces from Castile, Aragon and Navar went a sweeping victory against the Almahads in twelve twelve in the Battle of Los Novas de Tolosa, and this loss was so bad that the album had completely abandoned al Andolous and they did it within two decades, and that started the third Typhe period. Christian games were massive throughout the thirteenth century. They took Valencia, Cordoba, Savilla, Cadiz and Farrow by twelve sixty two. So that's all of present day Portugal, almost all the present day Spain, and by twelve sixty two all that was left was the Emirate of Granada, and folks, that takes.
Speaker 1: Us the best one though.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's fun, as I know you love it. It's fun as hell. The Emirate of Granada, They're a thing from it starts in twelve thirty two, but state it hangs on for two hundred and sixty years in spite of all these changes and everything, eleanor how the hell did they? How the hell did they they hang on for that long? Like in spite of all this.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's really crazy, actually, and I think that that is an important thing to say, right because you know again, you know, we have this tendency to be like, oh and then the Reconquista and then all this happened. I'm like Granada, like we're fucking hanging in there for like longer than America's right, you know, like you like absolutely get it, you know, and we I mean in Chilaida.
Speaker 3: Still existed, has still existed for longer than the United States. And I don't know, man, you got five we got five years.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I'm just saying, I'm just saying, right, So I mean basically what ends up happening.
Speaker 1: It's like, you know, they get they get like.
Speaker 2: A good line of sultans going like about over twenty of them, So that's that's pretty good. Yeah, and this is when the Nazards build the Alhambra, yeah, which you know, and thank god they did.
Speaker 3: Well we'll talk about a second, yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Like, but basically what they do is they're able to do a good job of consolidating power in the region itself, which has been kind of like traditionally Muslim. There's been a lot more Muslim people and so everyone's kind of happy to see that. And they are basically just paying tribute to the varying kingdoms around it, and the Varian kingdoms around it are like, yeah, sweet, good enough, don't care, like, do not need to actually take over Granada. The trade is sort of fine, and they act to a certain extent as a buffer between the Christian kingdoms and Morocco. So for the Christian kingdoms, they're like, actually, it's kind of quite nice to have these people who that we get on with really well, and we're not really worried about the Moroccans coming over here and starting a war with us, because they'd have to go through Granada first, and then that would.
Speaker 1: Be very unseemly.
Speaker 2: So there's a real advantage there. So they play their hand incredibly well, and they're able to just be like, yeah, we're your friendly low Muslims that you know, and you wouldn't want to go all the way to Gibraltar anyway, because like, who knows what might come out of Morocco next.
Speaker 3: Right, Yeah, yeah, And uh, you know, they also did have a bit of geography on their side because the south of Spain, much of central and northern Spain is extremely mountainous, uh to a to a real big degree. And so you know, fighting fighting a gorilla war in the mountain, not a gorilla we're fighting a war in a mountainous area is hard as hell anyway, But like in the Middle Ages, fucking impossible. Yeah, So we're gonna talk We're gonna talk about a bit more about the emirate and their doings just a second. But Eleanor, I've always loved Alhambra. Uh. I don't remember the first time I saw it. I don't remember anything like that. But I do remember loving it. You've been there. Please I'm coming to you with a cup in hand and I'm shaking it saying please. A love letter to Alhambra Queen, a love letter to mate.
Speaker 2: It is just my absolute favorite. It would be in my list for possibly my favorite medieval building. It's absolutely incredible. And when I went as some years ago, now I did this really cool thing which you know, just shout out if anyone's thinking about going to Granada. The way to see the Albahambra, in my opinion, is you can get a ticket that lets you go into the palaces at night and into the gardens at day so they light up the inside of the palace. You can see what it would have looked like at night there, so you can see all the carvings incredibly well because they're all kind of like flickering in the light. And then you can see the gardens in the daytime, which is what you want to do. But like the water gardens made, the fountains, like just the size of the Alabera, like you get into Grenaut, you can see it from everywhere. You can just like use it as a navigational point. It's it's absolutely enormous. It's situated on this huge, gorgeous kind of outcrop that it's so steep and difficult to like get up.
Speaker 3: And.
Speaker 2: It is just this monumental work. And what it does a really effective job of doing, is broadcasting the power of this area and broadcasting that it is a regional arts center, because like that's what ends up being one of the most important things of it is it's like it is a really big center of pottery production. It's like Mayolica that we talk about. A lot is invented there, and this is kind of just a standard of like, well, here's a form of luxury that you bitches are not going to get anywhere else, and that it becomes incredibly important just as a kind of touchstone. But the the thing is poetic as hell. You know, it looks like something out of a fairy tale. It's absolutely stunning. I can't say enough good things about it.
Speaker 1: I would kiss it if I could, you know.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's yeah, it's just gorgeous. It's so pretty. I love it. It's I think it was. I think it's typically said that it was made famous to Western audiences, or at least Americans, by Washington Irving who was the writer of the Legend of Sleepy Hollow and Rip van Winkle. But he wrote something called the Tales of Alhambra, and that really inspired a lot of people in America to get really into this cool, red looking building. And yeah, it's I mean, it's an architectural marvel. It inspired many people, including m. C Escher who raved about it. It's something I found out. Apparently there's a lot of mathematical precision that goes into the specific art designed. It apparently contains clearly I had I did not know. This apparently contains all or nearly all of the seventeen mathematically possible wallpaper groups. Wallpaper groups are mathematical classification of a two dimensional repetitive pattern based on symmetries in the pattern, which I just obviously read. It's you know, cool, I like, there's just so much about it. It's like the water gardens. It serves as like a It served as like a water hub and a canal point, where a point where a lot of canals met to feed and water the area. Because while as if you've seen pictures of it, Alhambra is this gorgeous red building surrounded by like a forest of trees. Of course, a lot of the area is you know, a bit drier than that and everything, and it's just it provides water, provides agricultural growth and everything like that. But yeah, I just wanted to talk about that before we goes because the emirt of Grenada, it's fun, we love it. It has characters. But it it wasn't it wasn't to last eleanor what like. It got to its apoge at some point in the mid fourteenth century. But you know what what happened to start the decline and fall here.
Speaker 1: The consolidation of the Christian kingdoms. Yeah, and I like that.
Speaker 2: That's just fundamentally it, right, So it's it's like playing Crusader Kings, right, you know, like when when you're playing Crusader Kings, you consolidate land, and you consolidate land, and you consolidate land, and then you just like go for what the next group that you could take over is, right, And that's what ends up happening, you know, due to intermarriage in the Christian Kingdoms, we eventually just get left with Aragon and Castile, right, Like, they all kind of go into each other and that's how you get Ferdinand and Isabella.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 2: They so Ferdinand and Isabella and then get married, and they consolidate Castile and Aragon, and then the only thing left is Granada. And they're just not gonna like I mean, it's like being a dick and not letting everyone quit monopoly, even you know, like when it's clear that you're gonna win, they're like, nine.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, I don't care anymore, and they're like, nope, we got to keep doing it, bro.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And that's basically it.
Speaker 2: So you get enough power in one place and people are just going to kind of go for it. And this is you know, again, really the story of the early modern period. You know, you have this this consolidation of power under varying ruling families that means you have suddenly these huge fucking kingdoms, whereas before there were just you know, kind of like various smaller states and principalities. And you know that's how you end up with Habsburgs and things like that, right, you know, it's you have these kind of like this. Basically what happens is that the stories people have been telling for hundreds of years in order to justify their rule and where it is that they're at are now like coming true, just in the same way that the papacy consolidates power very very slowly by telling stories over and over again in books. Eventually, you know, eight hundred years later that works, and that's what happens in Spain, and that's what happens in Europe more generally. So they go for Granada and they.
Speaker 1: Are able to take it really easily because I'll tell you.
Speaker 2: What, Morocco's not coming up to help. They can't. They've got, you know, enough troubles of their own. And you know, the Ottomans are kind of looking at it. They aye it, but they're like, I don't know, it's just being kind of cuter to like let the pirates do whatever it is they wish to do, and like that's an easy way to score points, right, you know, I don't really feel like I'm gonna have an ability to send a bunch of troops all the way over there to Constantinople, you know, especially not when we're doing things like you know now we lust in our hearts for Vienna.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so where we're.
Speaker 2: Looking at a whole, we're looking at all new range of places to attack, right, We're not We're not going for Spain.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, it's the consolidation was pretty vast, like the catalog lands. Barcelona had been swallowed up by Aragon a long time ago. Navarre in the very was now like a very tiny sliver in the far north of Spain, and uh, yeah, it's just Leon was there too, but it was it was losing power basically. It's just they they consolidate and uh, you know after uh, fernand and Isabella die they I believe that was when they was all it was all formally put together. But yeah, it's just you can't fight that when you don't have a power base outside of like the tiny thing down there. They they're Morocco is not helping, Marrakesh is not uh and the forces in the Christian Kingdoms are allowing them to paper over their differences in a in a very uh, in a very telling way, because I mean almost as soon as this is done, you're going to start having the Spanish separatist movements, you know, and you're going to have you you've already a believed Yeah at this point, you've already had you know, revolts in uh in Cataloonya, in places like that. So it's just like you know, uh, how are you how are you going to you know, how do you how do you fight against that? The answer is, at that point, you couldn't, you know, there's probably nothing they could do to stop that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I don't really think that there is. And fundamentally, I think it puts paid actually to the idea of not necessarily the reconquista, you know, which is you know, a very powerful story, but you know the idea of the civilizational struggle between Christians and Muslims, because I'm like, well, babe, if that was true, they would have fought, someone would have showed up to help, like, you know, like some Muslims would have been like, oh hey, wait a minute, right, But it's a really easy and seductive story for Christians to tell because you know, for None and Isabella are really good at telling this story.
Speaker 1: You know, they are some of the.
Speaker 2: First to really tell this early modern national story about like what it means to be Spanish. And they're also the ones who enforced that, you know, at sword Point. They're the ones who do the the inquisition and like, yeah, the church is like yeah, sure, find have fun. But they're the ones who are like, I don't really like to torture some people about this, right, I really want to make this idea of what it means to be an Iberian Christian enforced on pain of death.
Speaker 1: And you know that is.
Speaker 2: Something that they a story that they told really successfully and it gets repeated by all of the worst people on earth, like you know Fronco.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Yeah, it's I mean, like the story of the very end is just it is very sad. As I said, Muhammed the Twelfth retook the throne, but he was just a puppet. He didn't He's stood by and watched while they retook Gibraltar, and it's just, you know, I mean, I don't like, I'm not like, you know, saying like, oh, you know, he should have like died to you know, to stop the inevitability or whatever. But it's it's just really sad. And I mean they signed they did sign the Treaty of Granada in fourteen ninety one, which is what I was talking about with with where Columbus was there. And Muhammed the Twelfth is known in in Europe as boabdil Is, which is like Tom Bombadil. Yeah. Anyway, he signs it with them and they relinquished h the Emirate of Granada in January fourteen ninety two, and that was that was the end of it. Now, the Tree of Grenada, you know, it had this long list of rights and things, guaranteed rights to the Moors, you know, who were what they called Muslim inhabitants of Spain, including you know, religious toleration, fair treatment as long as they surrendered and didn't fight. Guess. Yeah. But at the same time they also turned to the Jewish population in this in the lands and said you either convert or migrate to North Africa within three years, get the fuck out. And yeah, this basically, probably not surprisingly, was superseded by the Alhambra Decree in later fourteen ninety two, which forced all Jews to choose between conversion or immediate expulsion. And of course they did not honor the treaty with with Muhammad either. Uh. There was a rebellion uh in a place called the Alpujaras in fourteen ninety nine. And uh, because they were they were, you know, being the forced conversions were occurring, and uh, you know they said there were there was stuff told with the pope that they converted about three thousand Muslims on a single day and stuff like that. And yeah, after the revolt and al Puharas was put down, Uh, they just dropped all pretenses and you know, and the converter get the fuck out basically. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And like I fundamentally, who was gonna stop them?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 1: Like that that is the trouble.
Speaker 2: I mean, I I don't I don't fault Muhammad. I mean I would have signed that thing too. I'd been like, yeah, okay, well I think we need to we need to save some lives here.
Speaker 3: Just yeah, I mean you're gonna like you're gonna it's the obliteration of your family, Like you know, you can't. So like sometimes they're like sometimes like you can have pride in everything, but like if that means another sixty seventy eighty thousand people killed, if not more like to fight this, you know, that's not I don't to me, that's not honor anymore. That's just you like having that stuff in that right. Yeah, that's a death drive for you that you're extending to a bunch of other people. And yeah, but yeah you can't.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I agree, And it's like there's there's nothing you can really do here fundamentally, And you know, it's not his fault that these Christians are liars, right, you know, and they will they will go on to tell many lies too many people overseas and repeat these patterns again and again, you know, and that and that's colonialism, baby.
Speaker 3: So yeah, yeah, And I mean this is you know, this is just another in a long line of you know, crusader ideology. But you know, it is what it is. This is it goes part and parcel with that. So eleanor you know, looking back on it, how how should we view there are Because obviously a Christian reconquest happened, that is undeniable, and and by you know, probably the twelfth century at the latest it was, it had been formalized as like a Catholic Christian ideology, So like, how do we separate that from the recon Christian narrative that we have.
Speaker 2: I think the important thing to consider is that, yes, there is a consolidation of power under Christians, but there's been a retrofitting of a narrative about how this is what Christians were attempting to do back into the medieval past, when it was actually an early modern project to consolidate power under you know, essentially, one pattern and then also rishianize everyone, so you know, like there's this one family who's like, okay, look it's all one place and we're all Christian and you know, that makes perfect sense. Of course, why that story gets told over and over again in the modern period when we start telling the story of nation states, when we start saying, oh, there are nations, you know, and Spain is very much in the business of oppressing smaller entities and cultures that wish to secede from it. Underneath this one conglomeration, you know, like the Basques, the Catalans, you know, all these varying people's you know, even the Andalusians. You know, there are violent efforts to keep these people down. And so we need to understand the Riclonquista as a part of this centralized and Castilian Spanish desire to oppress the rest of the Iberian Peninsula. And it's an incredibly easy story to tell because you're right, Luke, Like, I mean, you are right. Eventually Christians take back over the entire Iberian Peninsula. But that's not what people were trying to do in you know, like nine eighty six, right, like they were just attempting to take whatever land they could like, yeah, they'll tell a convenience.
Speaker 1: Story if it's helpful.
Speaker 2: But this is not a consolidated effort on the part of any Christians. And I mean I think that it is when it comes to Ferdinand and Isabella, But when it comes to Ferdinane and Isabella, well we're in the modern period, so like what are you gonna do?
Speaker 3: Right? Yeah, Yeah, It's just like the idea of like a nation of them forming a nation state is in a lot of ways a very early modern and modern concept. And you know, I think you can you can kind of see this, you know, where they're going to consolidate everything and try to like blot out kind of the some of the old geographic boundaries and things like that. And it's just this to me, it's just this, it's an offshoot of the Crusades, even though I mean, as we said last time, the siege of Barbastro took place, was a precursor to the Crusades themselves. But this is a unified movement as like an ideological tenet is you know, completely downstream of the Crusades. To me, it's the same language, the same idea, the same ideas, the same concepts, you know, the same just abhorrent treatment of you know, locals and people of other religions. I mean like like you know, I'm not We've talked about the al Morovid's and how they definitely did a lot more repression of Christians of Jews than their predecessors. But like Ferdinand and Isabella are like they like, this is Christian. This what they're doing is what we understand now is Christian nationalism. It is like attempting to push all people and may all people who are not one type and in this case, one specific type of Christianity. It pushed them out of Spain altogether so that you can have your own completely homogeneous society. And that is like, that is what Christian nationalism is today. That's what they want, That's what they're talking about. It's the same concept. So it's just like it's this these sins of the Middle Ages, and I mean they obviously stretch farther back than that too, but these sins from the Middle Ages that become catalysts for ideas and philosophies and things. And then when you get to the early modern period and you get these real advances in political theory and the ability for a nation state to form and fucking go across the ocean and populate, genocide and then populate two continents is like, you know, you can take those crusader ideals and the reconcrease the ideals global and yeah, and I mean I think we're not I don't want to harp on this because to be weird about it, but it's like it is. I think it is important because like what Ferdinand and Isabella wanted is the same thing that Christian nationalists want today. Like as a long term goal, it is to put like to a Christian homogeneous I mean, in this case white society. They didn't they weren't talking about white people in Spain in fourteen ninety two, but you could. You know, it's that is what they want, and you know, it's it's good to know what actually happened. So like if somebody says that you you know, and could talk to maybe people who don't know as much. I'm not saying too like we try to well actually like these reactionary freaks because they're not gonna listen to that shit, but like bystanders who don't know like that, you know, not everybody's radicalized, not everybody's class conscious and everything like that. So people are going to have to learn somehow, and so this is a good you know, it's helpful to me to know these things to talk to people, and you know, it's also helpful to be like, yeah, this wasn't some this isn't a universal struggle, this isn't some fucking horrific destined thing. It's just people fighting over political material, political circumstances like within these frameworks, and you know, it's there's nothing inevitable about it, like it's just a thing. It's you know, it's it's just a trapping that is used to explain this as a as propaganda. Yep.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's no difference between the story of the reconquista, you know, versus you know, the stories early medieval people are telling you about how they're descended from a sea monster and that's why they should get to be the king of France.
Speaker 3: That's just it's yeah, I'm descended. Uh. Yep. There was a second donation of Constantine where he said me specifically, I was supposed to be the king even though I was born five hundred years later. It's still real, damnit. And it and it's written in my own handwriting in like early in like an early fringe or whatever. He's like, wait, why is this written in a satan? He spoke Octan, damn it, Uh shut up.
Speaker 1: Yeah, exactly exactly, that's it, baby.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So eleanor like, as we leave this, I don't want to leave it on a down note, because I mean, this is we all knew where this was going, the decline and fall of this lovely and vibrant, an interesting civilization or society. Rather, what is what is the lasting legacy of al Andolouce to you?
Speaker 1: Like?
Speaker 3: What what is that?
Speaker 2: I think that one of the things that is really testament to how important Andalus was is actually, you know, most of the good shit that happens in the medieval period is really helped along by al Envaluce. So you know, the wonderful things like cultural and philosophical debate and the way that texts flow through Europe, it's all down to Aln deLuce and the fact that they have this really rich and multicultural society wherein ideas are constantly being shared and texts are being copied and things are moving back and forth. So I think the intellectual legacy is absolutely huge. It cannot be understated. You know, any medical advancement that happens in this period is basically down to Alan deLuce. And then I think also we can really say that, like architecturally and artistically they've made a real impact on the Spanish Psyche.
Speaker 1: And certainly if you go to Andalucia now you.
Speaker 2: Really see that this is this particularly beautiful place and it's got a real echo, you know there there is a cultural impact that they have had that is still ongoing, and you know, despite the best efforts of a lot of people to expunge it, the fact of the matter is they are culturally incredibly significant and it was one of the most important places in the fucking world in the medieval period. And there's no erasing that.
Speaker 1: Baby.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's I mean, like if you if you're looking for something specific, it is a Copernicus thinked a bunch of these astronomers in their revolutionis as i'd said, as I said, and like I mean the Avaros and Albertrji excuse me, Albertruji. Uh, these guys are uh the shoulders the giants that at Copernicus and Galileo and Newton and Kepler and everyone after them were standing on They were some of them, because you know, they had to get there. And Copernicus is very open about like how Muslim astrology and specifically al Ondolous provided the like theoretical scientific basis for what he was doing. Even you know, they didn't they weren't able to quite figure it out because they didn't have the telescopic advancements. They didn't you know, they didn't have all of this stuff. But when we finally get that stuff, you get you know, these guys standing on it. And that's the basis for our cosmology today, the Earth circle, the Earth orbiting the Sun and gravity and all that shit, and it's just yeah, it's art and culture and meaning and I mean it is proof that like these people all lived together, Jews and Christians and Muslims, and I mean they fought sometimes, but seven one hundred and seven fucking seven hundred and eighty one years, and you know, for most of that they were living pretty peacefully. They had to pay attack on it, but they would have had to pay attack anyway, you know. I mean, like, so if they can do it for that long in the Middle Ages, why can't we do it now? I'm not like it sounds trite or pat or whatever, but like, seriously, why why can't they just like they can't we do that shit.
Speaker 2: They're suppressing al the al andolous and the history so that people won't know that actually you could just chill the fuck out and eat some dates they don't want.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, yeah, you can have some hamone or not if you don't if you don't eat pork. You know, it's like whatever, you can have some hamon or some fuck I'm drawing a blink on Native Spanish all I can think of, fucking like, No, folks, it's a rich culture. It's a rich Tavish And we're glad you took this ride with us. Well we'll be back next time to talk about something a little different. And yeah, we are glad you tuned in, and I hope you learned a lot. Eleanor which guy going on?
Speaker 2: I forgot to say last week because I didn't realize how quickly these motherfuckers turned it around. And I was on trash Future if you want to check me out chatting with the homies there. But otherwise, you know the deal, your girls on the socials at Going Medieval, I got a bunch of stuff upcoming, so watch the space.
Speaker 3: But yeah, yeah, yeah, pretty much same here. You found me, Lucas amazing if you want to hear me, continue to go gradually insane, and you can find my old shit, A People's History of the Old Republic if you want to hear me talk about Star Wars. But yeah, other than that, that's going to do it. Thank you very much and we'll see you next time. Bye.