Speaker 1: It's night Side with Dan Ray Unowny Boston's news radio.
Speaker 2: By the way, before we get to my next guest here on the eleven o'clock hour, I would like to emphasize that we've had some really interesting guests this week. We're about to have another one, but I would suggest that any of you who have missed any Nightside hours this week can go to Nightside undemand dot com. That is our our one of our websites for what's our website for our podcast. So the conversation we've had with Professor John Ebel of Boston College the Weston Observatory on earthquakes on Wednesday night at nine o'clock. We did a couple of hours last night on the RFK cabinet hearings as well as as well as some talk last night of the DC plane crash. Tonight, of course, we talked about the DC plane crash for two hours, and I think we had some excellent callers between in both nine in the ten o'clock hours and then earlier this week on Tuesday night, we talked about the executive orders filed by President Trump. And I know some of them are controversial, but the executive order ordering that all the files, all the nation's files on the assassinations of President Kennedy, Senator Robert Kennedy's Robert F. Kennedy, and doctor Reverend Martin Luther King be open to the public. That was both ten and eleven on Tuesday night. Those were some great hours. So if you need some on the way to work tomorrow or during the day tomorrow, just check it out Nightside on demand dot com. You will be thoroughly entertained and perhaps even informed. I know you got This is going to be a great hour because we had this gentleman with us earlier this month. He's a mental health expert, doctor Don Grant, and we're talking about people who are literally addicted to the Internet, to all the various and sundry arms of the Internet. Doctor Grant, welcome back to night Side.
Speaker 3: Thanks Dan, thanks for having me back. I really appreciate it.
Speaker 2: Now give us a little bit of your We had a brief conversation earlier this month. I think it was the first week or the second week of January, and I wanted to bring you back so that people could ask your questions. In the eight o'clock hour. It's just me talking with four guests, and I thought that, well, I just was convinced that I wanted to talk to you longer. What is your academic background? Give us just that it's a pretty impressive background, but I want you to share it with my audience so they get a sense of who you are, and then we'll get into the issue that we're going to discuss.
Speaker 3: Sure, and I'll try to do this quickly, but I'll say that, you know, my mother passed away a long time ago. But whenever I'm asked this because I try, you know, I get a little humble. I just always think, gosh, I wish my mom could.
Speaker 2: She used to tell me self, praise is no praise. This, this is just a fact right ahead.
Speaker 3: She would do a much better job. She She spend a whole hour telling you about me, and I don't know how much of it would be true. But so, my name is doctor Don Grant. I'm a media psychologist. I'm also a doctoral addictions counselor. So you know, I have a doctorate. I actually have an Master's of Arts. I have a Master of Fine Arts. I have degrees an addiction and all of that. I'm also I'm a Fellow of the American Psychological Association. I am the National Advisor of Healthy Device Management for Newport Healthcare. I do research, I write, I have trendous opportunities like this one that I get to speak with you and your listeners today. But I just want to make it clear right from the top, which I always do whenever I speak or present. I am not into technology. I am not anti devices, I am not anti internet. I'm not anti social media, anti gaming. Sometimes, because my reputation often precedes me, the person that I am going to be introduced to says, oh no, not that guy, he's going to take away my PlayStation. I'm like, not necessarily calm down. So what I teach and promote is healthy device management and the practice of good digital citizenship. So it's about balance and making sure that you know these devices and the services and platforms and things they deliver are not something that is detrimental or unhealthy or causing us to be unwell. You know, there's a thing that I always say, and it's the first slide of almost every presentation I do, and it's from Henry David Thieaux, who in eighteen fifty four wrote in the book Walden men have become the tools of their tools. Now before I don't think the Mistress the Roau had any idea about what we are talking and devices of the topic and focus of our conversation. But I just saw that a long time ago and I thought, Wow, I feel that can be so applicable today. Men have become the tools of their tools because all of these things that we're going to talk about, and hopefully your listeners will call in and ask questions about Dan, these were, and I believe should be tools. But what you were saying about how we've become so dependent upon them. A lot of the work that I do, a lot of the clients that I work with, whether it's the Newport or my private practice, or with schools or communities, it's the people will tell me, no, I feel like this thing owns me. So I just wanted to put that over an overview of whatever we end up talking about today.
Speaker 2: Makes a little bit great. Bag Boy Coast. You're on the left coast, you guys are based, and where is it, Santa Monics.
Speaker 3: I'm in Los Angeles, Yeah, in Los Angeles.
Speaker 2: Okay. I hope that you have avoided the fires out there, needless needless to say, and you're with this this it's called Newport Healthcare.
Speaker 3: Correct, Yes, So what like I said, I'm the National Advisor of Healthy Device Management for Newport Healthcare. And so you know, that's that's what my uh A lot of my work gets to get to do through Newport and basically Newport Healthcare. I can just just let me get this done. So we have it. So Newport Healthcare, others read you what they are. Newport Healthcare is the nation's leading provider of evidence based behavioral health treatment for youth, young adults, and families. Are we We're comprised of Newport Academy, Newport Institute, the Center for Families, and Prairie Care. We have a full content continuum of care. It includes residential services, partial hospitalization services, intentsive outpatient services for mental health and substance use disorders, as well as psychiatric inpatient services. Newport is family centered, integrated and our approach FOSTER is sustainable healing from a foundation of compassionate care, clinical expertise, and unconditional love, with a primary mission to empower lives and restore families. So that's what we are, and that's just that's I just have it out there it.
Speaker 2: Is, okay, so we've we've got all the information, all the discussion, to the to the conversation, and that is there's a lot of people who have changed their lives, changed their relationships during COVID and after COVID, and a lot of people, UH have now become much more reliable on social media interactions oftentimes interactions which are simply observational. They're not even interactions, they're observing of other people again, whether it's Facebook or Twitter, Instagram or TikTok. And it seems to me that if you become too dependent on that, you lose your ability to interact with real people and it almost becomes a sultifying relationship that you have chosen to engage in. How far off reality am I when I present that to you in that way, doctor.
Speaker 3: Well, you are spot on. And that's a lot of what I do. And that's why when I say that I teach healthy device management, I mean, look, we all know this. We live in this world. Everything, I mean increasingly more everything has some sort of digital attachment. I mean, if it doesn't, it probably will soon. It's what you said, our reliance and you bring up so many great points because I think that anyone who lives in the world now and lives in has devices, which we all do. They can just think for themselves. I mean, how do they feel about it? How often do you reach for that device when you're sitting anywhere, standing anywhere, even crossing the street that is so dangerous in your car? How often we find ourselves just uncontrollably reaching for that device. Now, there's a lot of reasons, and we already know that the developers and creators of these things, that's what they want, that's how they were designed. They use psychological tricks and leveraging our Olympic system and all kinds of things to get us onto those devices and keep us there, because attention economy is now one of the most valuable assets if everyone wants our attention and to keep it, and so getting us in there and keeping us in is the whole goal. And I tell people, Dan, you just had to remember, especially when you're talking about social media, it's free. You're the product. These creators are not these social medias that are not public services that they're offering.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, it's almost it should almost be characterized as anti social media because the more that you spend in that relationship with the screen. I think about, you know, social as being interacting with other human beings or maybe interacting with your pass even, but not with an inanimate object like the screen. So look, let's take a break. When I come back, I want I want to push you a little bit in terms of how can people maintain a healthy relationship with social media and how can they know when that relationship is going in a bad direction.
Speaker 3: So you're asking all the right questions, I can't wait.
Speaker 2: Okay, well we'll get to those right after the break. My guest is doctor Don Grant, prominent mental health expert media psychologist. He will take your questions if you have some concerns about the amount of time you're spending away from human beings and with your devices, and you want to ask a question, or if you just want to ask a question about where are we headed as a society. I got questions, but I will prefer to hear your questions right here in North America's back porch. It's a cold and it's going to be a rainy thank god, not a snowy Friday here in New England. We'll get you started. Stick with us. My name is Dan Ray, We're here until midnight. We'll take you all the way until the final day of January. We're almost through January, folks. Spring is on the way. Baseball starts next month with spring training. All's good with the world except social media. Back on night Side six one, seven, two, five, four, ten thirty, six one seven, nine, three, one, ten thirty and triple eight nine to nine, ten thirty. Back on night Side after this.
Speaker 1: Now back to Dan Ray Live from the Window World Nightside Studios on WBZ News Radio.
Speaker 2: My guest is doctor Don Grant. He is a prominent mental health expert with the Newport Healthcare Institute. We are talking about your relationship with your devices, your social media devices. My producer Rob just said to me he likes to read, and what's the difference between reading and being involved in social media. I think that in order to read, you have to think. I don't think you have to think when you're sitting looking at TikTok videos or reels on Facebook. So how do you know When we talk about addiction, Normally we think about drugs, we think about alcohol, and it's very difficult to know when you have reached that point of addiction in anything that you become dependent on you know, we have you know, supposedly you know alcoholics who are functioning alcoholics. They may be they may drink all weekend, but Monday morning, when the bell rings, they're ready at work. Theoretically, how do you know when maybe your reliance on social media is becoming a little more than it should be, Doctor Grant.
Speaker 3: That's a great question, and in someone who you know. Also, one of my wheelhouses is addiction, and I have no problem and it's I'm not that difficult to find online, so it's pretty easily discovered. I've been in recovery for a very long time myself. But you take up all the point you're saying, I mean, they're they're fantastic, Dan, So let's talk about the addiction or dependency kind of where do we cross the inflection point. One of the things that you brought up things like substance based addictions. These are one kind of addiction, and very often they're more overt. The signs and symptoms, the outcomes and consequences they tend to at a certain point if someone kind of crosses the event horizon, they become more obvious. Then there's things called process addictions. These are things like gambling. It can be exercise, it can be eating disorders, and it can so these are a little more covert and easier to hide for longer because they don't really have the kind of overt consequences. They're more personal. So here's how you know, and this is just how I do it, because I'm a psychologist. I look at it of doing a self assessment. And this is where anybody can do this about anything, because it's up to you what you decide. You don't have to tell anyone yet. So I do it this way. I go in disorder, we look at things of impact from biological, psychological, or sociological outcomes. So what I mean by that is we start with biological So is this thing that you're wondering, am I or am I not? Is it in any way if you're rigorously honest impacting your biological health, then you can look at is this thing in the same way impacting or negatively influencing or subjugating or impeding my success or my goals psychologically? In psychological depression.
Speaker 2: Jerry's biological health, I would make sure I understand what do you mean by that?
Speaker 3: Okay, let's let's talk about in terms of biological health. That's something that let's to make it easy that you would see a medical doctor for. It can be something let's talk about. And I'm just going to go into one deviceing I see a lot. So we're talking about a hardcore gamer. This is a gamer who's gaming twenty four or seventy two hours. I mean this exists. So they might experience some sort of dietary issues. They might even have carpal tunnel in their fingers there, I might have eyes strain, and I see this all the time because they're just sitting and gaming. So that's biological. Would be for devices. We were talking back when we all stared down at our phones Neanderthal neck where we are all airing down in our devices and our next starts to really hurt in the back. So those anything that you would see a doctor, a medical doctor for. If you find that this thing, whatever it is, is causing you something that is physical, a physical you know, not great, that would be biological. Does that make sense?
Speaker 2: If you if you're literally are so drunk you've fallen down a flight of stairs a couple of times a week, that's a problem.
Speaker 3: Uh, Well, the drunk would be the roses of the liver. It would be all kinds of things, right.
Speaker 2: And also if in terms of gaming, if you find yourself betting on NFL exhibition football games in late July and August, you got a problem.
Speaker 3: You might be and that's gambling is a great example. That's a process addiction. People don't think that process addictions can be as serious as ones that are substance based. Oh trust me, they can.
Speaker 2: So let's go to psychological. You explained that very well. Psychological.
Speaker 3: Okay, what do you think? I mean, you got this? What do you think a psychological symptom or response or something that's not great from devices?
Speaker 4: What?
Speaker 3: What do you think it could be?
Speaker 2: I'm not a doctor.
Speaker 4: No will I play on the day.
Speaker 2: I'll take a shot at it.
Speaker 3: I'll take a shot at shot.
Speaker 2: If you walk by your computer and you can't ignore the computer and you got to sit down and check something out every day, every day, every day. I'm on the a lot more than I want to be because it's part of my job. Okay, But but if if you're going on there to see the latest TikTok videos because you're afraid you might miss one of the five million TikTok videos that are put up during the day. I think you got a psychological issue with TikTok.
Speaker 3: Well, I'm gonna take it a little further. If you say I'm just gonna watch one TikTok video, like the alcoholic who says I'm just gonna have one drink, and twelve hours later you're late for work. You've watched twelve hours at TikTok and can't remember one video. But I'm gonna talk more, really psychologically, So we're talking more about things like, know, you you go on your doom scrolling, or you go and you go on to anything on social media, our platform, or even like you said, you know, gambling can online. Gambling can have some other issues. But we're really talking psychologically about things like depression, anxiety, trauma, triggering, things, things like that, things that cause you to be mentally or psychologically just regulated. We're talking a lot recently. This is a big issue right now. I've been doing a lot of having a lot of conversations about what I call media saturation overloads syndrome. And I was talking to a journalist the other day and we're just kind of tongue in cheeks saying, oh, now everything is breaking news. So I just want to say, for one second, when I was younger, breaking news meant to zombie apocalypse, everything stops.
Speaker 2: Yeah, or the breaking the news, or the president had been assassinated. That's right, that's real break or whatever. Yeah, you know, you're right, you're oh, yeah, I watched sometimes break. I've worked as a TV reporter for thirty one years before I started this gig, and we didn't have break. I mean we had breaking news. We used to joke about it. We used to say in our newsroom back in the day, where news breaks, we'll fix it, or if it happened today, it's news to us. We were making fun of the people who were coming in with all this stick. It was like, just let us be journalists and cover real stories that we would say that seriously happened, you know, because you got the broadcast force that it happened today. It's news to us.
Speaker 3: Well, breaking news what we were talking about. And I think we can all agree now that's what breaking news is a big deal. Now we're experiencing and I let me just this is how it also applies to psychological and could be argued biological. So now breaking news. Breaking news now is stating there in the morning is obsolete in two hours. So what we're seeing is breaking news. Someone in the administration broke an ail two hours later, breaking news. We were wrong. It's not a broken nail. But what happens when we hear, as humans breaking news. I'm just going to share with you that our lizard brain can kick in, which is our survival brain, because we hear breaking news and it seems like we've got to be on guard that something is very serious.
Speaker 2: And so we have this Russians may have launched that's right.
Speaker 3: Well, we don't know, but we hear just the words breaking news, and that kind of the jarring stop breaking news will send without us even know. I'm sorry, it is Pavlovian. And what will happen is that in our brains, which we don't know, is that it will be released cortisol and adrenaline, and that will flood our brains when we hear breaking news because we're sure that the Martians have landed. And then so we have to realize that when those things are released in our brain, it attacks us and affects us and puts us on guard, and then it takes time for those to go away in our brain. So there's even just this breaking news thing that's every two minutes. Now, we don't even realize what's happening in our brains. So a lot of things that social media or news or headlines, and these salacious headlines and these catastrophic headlines and these images that now are so available to us are having an impact that we don't even realize is happening because of the neurology of our brains.
Speaker 2: And the other thing is, I'm surprised you're telling me the Martians haven't landed. I was pretty sure.
Speaker 3: I've heard that we're going to find out, because I also heard that you were talking about that some files are going to be released. I heard a rumor could be hashtag fake news. We're also going to find out and get some reports released about UFOs and aliens. I heard that may be coming our way too. I'm very interested in that.
Speaker 2: Well. You know, there was the congressman from New Jersey last month when they had all of the.
Speaker 3: Drones over the drones.
Speaker 2: Which I think it would be a lovely summer song, you know, drones over New Jersey.
Speaker 5: You said it was romantic.
Speaker 2: This one Congressman said that they were being launched from an Iranian ship off the coast of New Jersey. I mean, and that was great the news in a while. Okay, we got to pause here for the news of the bottom there. I know, there's a third element we're going to talk about, and then we're going to go to a phone call six one seven, four ten thirty. That's the best part of the show, always phone calls six seven, nine three one ten thirty nineteen thirty. The aliens are here, by the way, there are people who I hope one of them call. Well. Let mean, I have had some of them called trust me in eighteen years. The odds are Hey, there's certain people out there. I mean, you know, I don't want to get political or something like this, but but you've seen people on television, and I've seen people on television. Do you know the political guy James Carville, the guy who's yeah, that dude's an alien. It just look at them, look carefully, Okay. And I can find some Republicans as well, you know, the Mitt Romney guys.
Speaker 5: Find that out.
Speaker 2: We'll take a break. We'll be right back with doctor Don Grant. I promise we'll get to the phones quickly. Back on night Side. After this.
Speaker 1: Night's Side with Dan Ray on w B Boston's news radio.
Speaker 2: We're talking with Don Grant. He is someone who's going to explain to us how we can get rid of our over reliance on social media. There's a third element. You talked about biological, you talked about psychological. What's and was the third one? Sociological?
Speaker 3: You're reading my mind? You're asking such great questions. Is during the break, I was thinking, wait, we need to close the loop because we didn't. I was just thinking that we got you know, so tie track with the aliens. Yeah, So biological, psychological, then there's sociological. Sociological are our relationships, our friends, are occupations, anything that is more outside ourselves, but ourselves being mind and body and mind, bio and psych then it's a sociological. And what I was going to say because I never finished this because we got talking about other things, which is great, how do you know? Well, this is a personal thing. And I think that anyone who struggles with anything or things, they may whether it be substance based or process based. Including now there's a huge thing with shopping. Online shopping is a new process addiction. So well, how do you know? Well, here's what I suggest you do. You don't have to tell anyone, but really take a real, honest and clear self assessment and can you identify anywhere across your health, mental health, bodily health, or your social health, occupations school, can you, really, if you're honest, say, these devices and or the platforms and apps they deliver, are they causing an issue? Are they subjugating you from your success? Are you making excuses you know, to use them? And if you can find that if you're honest with yourself, yep, I hate this, but yeah that you know, those TikTok binges, I'm going on, those YouTube binges, that online gambling, that social media across any or biological, psychological or sociological parts of my life, Yeah, it's causing an issue. Then you might want to look into a deeper When I work with clients Dan, and I'm working with them individually, I do this with them. We go through it honestly, and I take them through it and I say, let's go through these, let's see where might this be causing a problem, And then you can decide do you want to do anything about it? Even a small change good stuff.
Speaker 2: Good stuff. The everybody understands if you're a if you're putting a moment, if you're an alcoholic, whether you think of functioning or not, the physical toll that will eventually be taken on your body will take you down. I think anyone who's smart does not want to. When they say smart mean you know that they act together. No one wants to become a drug addict. No one wants to become an alcoholic.
Speaker 3: I don't think anyone intends when they're young, oh I'm going to grow up and be an alcoholic. I don't want to be a junkie.
Speaker 2: Yeah, absolutely so we're not making any judgment here. However, the question is, okay, for the person who is addicted to the internet, to social media, what is the risk for them? I mean, clearly they are risks, but they have more subtle risks then they probably guess can still function in terms of work. No one's going to be They're never going to be arrested and pulled over driving and the cops are going to say, look, we don't want to do a breath Eliza week, but we want to how many hours have you been on the internet the last week? But you know you've had But do you know what I'm saying, I mean, how w does that lead? I know where alcoholism leads to nowhere? Drug addiction leads with the social internet addiction.
Speaker 3: Lead And you're right. And the thing about even you brought up a great point, you know, not it feels like a while ago now, but there was a real concern about people using their devices while driving and a lot of states have instituted now laws of hands free driving because people are driving around, you know, texting and looking at their devices. So you know, we saw that because again it was causing overt problems, crashes, you know, terrible things, all right. And you're also there's a point when something is so pervasive in a society, no one seems to really care. We're all complicit. I'm gonna use smoking as an example. Think about we used to when my kids here, that we used to smoke on planes. They're just a pall, they said, what do you talking about? So when we are all complicit, then it just feels like there's nothing wrong with it. And now you smoking because no one we'd light up anywhere meetings, you know where we were.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's some guys sitting next to you, you know, blowing smoke.
Speaker 3: Yeah, But I use the plane thing because that was really the ones where my kids were like, in a plane, I'm yeah, And then they had those smoking zones on the planes and my kids were like, but it's blowing through the plane. Yeah, no smoking, So until we realized and then suddenly it becomes oh, and now people who smoke are like you find them in the back of buildings and hiding and so you know, but it used to be because everyone did it, So now this is so nascent. So now when everyone's on their devices, and I don't think any of our listeners can argue with the fact you can pretty much walk in anywhere and you see everyone in what I call absent presence. We're with other people in real life dead, and we are all looking down ounted our devices, and we're so entranced and enthralled. So it just feels like everyone's doing it right. So what can be a problem. While you bring up the other point, how do you know? Well, again, it depends on what it is. There's so many different ways people engage with their devices. So the social media as I call them, are different than the gamers are different from the gamblers or the shoppers, or work or whatever it is. But you also have to look at where are you spending your time. So I'm going to give you something. This is something I came up with, and we'll see what you think. And it's a real quick kitchen test because to go through how do we know what would be the sign symptoms. Again, it's to the individual, and it also depends on what they're doing and how they're doing it. I do believe that social media is an amazing tool. As I said in the beginning awareness connection, there are populations that are more marginalized, that can't access support or resources in their area for idea of reasons, or they have some sort of disability. I love I have friends and family all over the world. I love using social media to be connected with them. I get to see what's going on with them. And I think I shared in our last talk, I went back to a family reunion in Michigan, where I was from. I knew whateverone would have been doing, their triumphs, their tragedies. I knew the kids, I knew the babies, I knew the plus ones. That felt good. So for awareness for connection, however, here's what I will say. Do you remember from school the old five w's in an H? How right? Correct? I took that and I kind of I appropriated it. Please don't cancel me appropriated it, and I came up with for devices to answer And hopefully this will quickly answer your questions and hopefully we'll have some people who have some questions as well. So here's what I suggest, very simple kitchen table, five w's and H. So you can ask yourself, why are you engaging with your device? What are you engaging with on your I'm sorry, why are you engaging on your device? What are you doing on the device? Where are you using the device? When are you engaging with the device? Who are you engaging with through the device, and how are you engaging with it or not? And if you can honestly go through all of those why, what, where, when, who? And how and you say, you know what, I don't see any problem. Everything's great. I've never been cyberbullied. I've never gone through a scrolling session on social media and come out the other side feeling worse about myself and comparing and despairing and wondering why. Guy Dan in Boston has all of this stuff, and I don't in mind if you can honestly go through those and you're not finding that you're having it at the kitchen table or at dinner tables, please with your kids. If you can get your kids at a table and you're all on your devices. So if you can honestly go through those, say no, dom no problem.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna get us some calls in here. I'm I'm taking that much right to Let me go to Bill in Pennsylvania. Bill, you're on with doctor Don Grant. Go right ahead, Bill, we're talking about social media addiction. Go ahead, Billy, Bill.
Speaker 5: You knowing doctor.
Speaker 3: I'm doing all right.
Speaker 5: I'm glad Dan has you on tonight.
Speaker 4: Hey.
Speaker 5: Uh, Like I've always said, Okay, if I could drink like a normal person, I drink all the time. Listen, I feel you question. Okay, Uh, can you can you speak a little bit? We know what we know what the problem is. Okay. I just got my first iPhone. I hate it. Okay. I had a flip phone all my life and uh, but it was being by my kids over here, so I got to kind of use it. Takes good photos, but I hate the thing. Can you just talk real? Uh, quickly please about spirituality, because I think you know, all these devices are really cutting us off from any spirituality.
Speaker 3: Okay, you sound and I may be, but you'll know you sound like a friend of Bill's. Yes, me as well, So we'll leave it there, all right, I kind of just got that. Well, all right, Well, it depends because everyone has a different idea about their spirituality and it is absolutely ours to decide, right, So what I say is regarding It's what Dan said earlier. One of the things about these devices when it becomes a problem is when it disconnects us from ourself or others. So in order to kind of look at what is my personal or individual spirituality being disconnected, and that can be from you know, whatever you have as a higher power or a god, or whatever your spiritual thing is, as other individuals who help you feel spiritual connection or community. What happens is that these devices, in my opinion, can become an insurmountable barrier that also can distract us, can keep us disconnected from ourselves, and can keep us more interested in what others are doing or what is happening in the world that may or may not be true. So that disconnection and to me and you can disagree because I don't you know, I want to respect everyone's spirituality. Disconnection to me is the opposite of spirituality.
Speaker 5: Yeah, does that make sense to you?
Speaker 3: And it can be disconnected from self, from whatever your source of faith or higher power, or from your community. That is spiritual connection. These devices are designed to keep us isolated.
Speaker 5: Okay, good and thank you for that. And you know Anthony de Mello. You ever heard Anthony de Mello?
Speaker 3: I have not.
Speaker 5: He's an interesting guy. Anyways, Thanks for answering that question, and.
Speaker 2: Thank you, Thank you, Bill. We'll talk soon. Okay, Okay, thanks Bill, take quick break. Here got Will and Long Island coming up on the other side. We'll get him in. Maybe you if you want to go Will, Bill, Will no, we have that's Will and Bill. You got it. Back on Nightside with my guest, doctor Don Grant, Social media addiction.
Speaker 1: Back on Nightside Now back to Dan Way live from the Window World night Side Studios on WBZ News Radio.
Speaker 2: My guest is doctor Don Grant, prominent mental health expert media psychologist associated with Newport Healthcare. Let's go to Will on Long Island. Will welcome, Thanks for your patience. You're on with doctor Don Grant.
Speaker 4: Hey, doc, So yeah, I'm sober a long time now from a really low place, and I'm listening to this and I think, you know, the monkey's off my back, but the circus is always in town. I could always pick up another monkey, you know. And I just think about like all the different ways that my addiction can manifest itself, right, just not just my drug or choice or drugs or alcohol or whatever, but in so many other ways, right. So, I mean I've seen so many people over the years that you know, I either worked with or was in places with that like would get through the physical addiction of alcohol, Benzo's opiates, whatever it was. It looked like they were going to die, and then a month or two later or a year later, pick up again because the mental addiction is so strong, right, So this is like completely mental. My question was, is there enough studies out there to show the physiological aspects of it, not just the damage it does from the blue light and keeping you up, but the withdrawal or maybe even serotonin dopamine levels, neual pathways, things like that, how it maybe can affect your brain over time and create a type of withdrawal like you have from alcohol or drugs.
Speaker 3: Sure, and that's a great question, and congratulations on your recovery. I'll tell you, well, you bring up something I actually was invited and it came out earlier this year in the Handbook of Media Psychology, the Sciences and the Practices. And I'm going to be honest, I really was so busy I couldn't take on one more project. But they lured me in because of what you just asked. Because my specialization is device management and all of this, but I also another one is addiction. They invited me to write a chapter in this book exactly what you're talking about. It is very geeky, I'm warning you. But what I look at is the Olympic system. I look at the addiction cycle. I look at how these devices have the same impact and effect and how it works in your brain. Because what you may know and what you know, we know people are in recovery. We have to be very vigilant about many things, but one of them is a transference of addiction. So you see someone who maybe had a substance based addiction, and then you know they're not really vigilant, they're not taking care, they're not really looking at what it was that the drug or drink did for them, and they're not working on their mental health, and suddenly they become restless, heirable, and discontent and they had to pick up in their their shopping addict or they're a gambling addict. So yes, there's there's some things out there. But of course I would be you know, a pool if I didn't say to you, if you look at the Hambook of Media Psychology and you look at my chapter everything you just said, it's scientific evidence based. Again, very nerdy, but I discuss everything you're asking and illustrate how it works.
Speaker 4: Well, it's amazing how you can, like you know, uh, qualify for one twelve step program and then find out you qualify for like so many others, you know what I mean, like.
Speaker 3: For every one of them.
Speaker 2: I don't.
Speaker 4: Yeah, exactly, all right, Thanks doc, I appreciate it.
Speaker 2: Thank yous care real great question, and congratulations Will and your success as well.
Speaker 4: Thank you, thank you sir.
Speaker 2: Thanks doctor Grant. This was a great hour. It's exactly what I expected. I should say, it exceeds my expectations. How can folks get in touch with you? A lot of folks I'm sure are listening toimes, say geez, I like to talk to him, But talk to me either off air or communicate with If you've got a website, you got a book that's out, tell me how we can struck.
Speaker 3: Sure, Yeah, there's you know again, they're not they're difficult. If you google dr you have to filter it dr Doctor, Dr Don Grant. You can find all sorts of things. There's also some videos of some presentations and webinars, all a lot of skills and things that I do as public service. So you can find all kinds of things. But if you really want to get in touch with me, the best way to do it would be to contact Kristin Hayes. Kristin Hayes is my person at Newport Healthcare the webst Her email is Kristen k r I S T E and dot Hayes h A y E s Kristen dot Hayes at Newport Healthcare dot com and she can put you in touch with me.
Speaker 2: Sounds great. I really do appreciate it. Again, I knew you'd be a great guest. I probably spind it.
Speaker 3: You asked great questions. This was fantastic. You know. I'll tell you Dan a lot of times I'll be with someone and I the journalist asked me these questions and I'm like, okay, you are fantastic. You are you hit them all. I was like, this is gonna be great. I love this guy.
Speaker 2: Well, I appreciate it. I really do. And by the way, this hour will be posted on our podcast page, which is Nightside on demand dot Com within a couple of hours, and you folks are more than welcome to pull it down tomorrow put it up on your website. I thought you did great and.
Speaker 3: Wether it twitch is, by the way, a great use of devices. See there's healthy device management resources.
Speaker 2: Well I'm doing that because I got to tell you, when I get out of the business, at some point, I'm gonna throw all the devices away and I'm gonna probably just climb into a into a cave and read books. Doctor don Grant, thank you so much. We'll talk again, Okay, take care. Thank you very much. But a great, great guest. I really do appreciate his time, and I hope all of you have appreciated it as well. I will remind you that tomorrow we have big day. Check out Nightside on demand dot com. We got some great stuff up there. The last day of the month. We'll have a great show tomorrow night. I promise we're going to talk tomorrow night, amongst other things about we have a relationship specialist coming on, so we got a lot going on, and of course we'll talk politics as all will, dogs, all cats, all pets go to heaven. That's my pal Charlie Rays, who passed fifteen years ago in February. That's all your pets are her past. They loved you and you love them. I do believe you'll see them begin see get tomorrow night, Rob Brooks, thank you very much, Marita as well. Have a great Friday over when stay dry Sea Tomorrow night