Speaker 1: You're listening to KFI AM six forty wake Up Call with me Amy King on demand on the iHeartRadio.
Speaker 2: App KFI and KOST HD two Los Angeles.
Speaker 3: Orange County Idol. Got your haste, Amy Kay, It's five oh one.
Speaker 1: This is your wake up call for Friday, October eighteenth. I'm Amy King. We're live everywhere on the iHeartRadio app. We're less than two weeks away from Halloween. Do you know what you're gonna dress as yet? I could be a Dodger fan. Nope, that's what I'm dressed as today. Wow, what a game yesterday Dodgers blow out the Mets ten to two. Show Hey He's back. Love it, love it, love it.
Speaker 4: Hate it.
Speaker 1: Hate it that I can't watch it on TV because I don't have FS one on my subscription and I'm not going to pay a hundred bucks to get it. But the good news is you can listen anytime on the iHeartRadio app. So that's where I was watching TV last night and I had my phone and I listened to the game and oh my god, it was a fun game. So they play again this afternoon. One more win and the Dodgers are headed to the World series. The Mets are going to try to stop that. We know producer Michelle's cheering on the Mets. I am well, they're going to have to show up today, and Miracle Mets better show up today. If not, it's over. You can't complain about it. They didn't show up to play last two nights, so it's too bad. Yep. And you're hearing Michelle's voice because Anne is taking the day off. So we have producer Michelle in and Kono's out because it's his birthday. So Robin is in and Nick is back and we are ready to go. So here's what's ahead on wake Up. A red flag warning goes into effect this morning in the mountains and valleys of La and Ventura Counties, with low humidity and wind gusts expected up to fifty miles per hour. Fire danger will be increased until at least tomorrow evening. HESBLA says it is beginning a new and escalating phase in its war with Israel. Zbola says they've killed fifty five Israeli soldiers since Israel started its ground operations in Lebanon. The statement from Hezbollah did not mention the death of Hamas leader Yaha Sinhwar, who was killed by Israeli forces Wednesday. We're going to be talking more about the repercussions and opportunities tied to Sinhwar's death with ABC's Jordana Miller. That's coming up at five point twenty. Smoking is losing its allure with kids. We're going to be finding out more about that with ABC's Jim Ryan. That's coming up in just a couple of minutes. Hey, more and more people are done turning up and down their thermostats and turning on and off their lights and their sprinklers. The home monitoring revolution is coming. Is coming up with the House Whisper. We'll be talking to Dean Sharp at the bottom of the hour. And then, if you want to curl up on your couch this weekend, ABC's Willgans has some binge worthy shows to share with you that will both warm your heart and scare the pants off you. That's coming up at five fifty. Let's get started with some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. Santa Ana. Winds are expected to whip through parts of southern California today, prompting the National Weather Service to issue that red flag warning. They are for the Santa Clarita and San Fernando Valleys, Calabasas and San Gabriel Mountains, as well as the five and fourteen freeway corridors and the Inland Empire. Meteorologist John Sook says the warnings are issued under certain conditions.
Speaker 5: The reason why we issue these red flag warnings is because we have a potentially dangerous combination of strong winds and low RHS that can lead to strong fire control concerns.
Speaker 1: He says, it's going to be windy again tomorrow, but the winds should taper off by Sunday. La County Supervisor Catherine Barger and Public Health Director Barbara Ferrer have asked the county's cancer Surveillance program to look into claims that Chiquita Canyon landfill and Kistaic has caused a cluster of cancer cases. People who live in the area have complained of headaches, burning eyes, rashes, and nausea. Landfill officials say smells from the facility are due to landfill reaction in an older part of the waste area. The Feds have charged sixteen people with a billion dollar drug operation that moved sixty tons of cocaine from La into Canada. Every year they.
Speaker 4: Would use contract killers to sassinate anyone who they saw as a constacle. US attorney La Martine Strada says the cruise leader, former Olympic snowboarder Ryan Wedding, who's a fugitive with a fifty thousand dollar reward, ordered to hit on a couple from India.
Speaker 5: This was a case of the stake of identity, but that had been mad.
Speaker 6: They were killed in cold blood in front of their dogs, who had also shot thirteen posts.
Speaker 4: Strata said yesterday as just one example of the billion dollar profits from just April to September of this year, inves togaters intercepted two hundred and fifty million dollars in crypto. Corbin Carson KFI.
Speaker 1: News the Dodgers are now within one win of going to the World Series. They beat the Mets ten to to last night in Game four of the National League Championship Series. Show Hey Otani and Mookie Betts led the way with home runs and four runs apiece. Manager Dave Roberts says, the players are single minded.
Speaker 4: I don't think you can kind of quantify it, but I do believe that, you know, the mindset, the attitude you know, is applicable and manifest itself into winning baseball games.
Speaker 1: We sure hope that continues. The Dodgers lead the series three games to one. Game five of the best of seven will be played this afternoon in New York. First pitch goes out at two oh eight. It is five oh seven on your Friday morning wake up call. Let's say good morning now to ABC's Jim Ryan. Jim, we're going to talk about kids smoking. But first I want to mention the Texas Supreme Court which has halted a scheduled execution. And are you back in Texas?
Speaker 6: Now?
Speaker 1: I am, You are okay, So tell us a little bit about this case, because we know that Texas is known it's got a pretty high execution rate for convicted killers. But this case is a first of its kind.
Speaker 7: It is this would have been the first time that somebody was put to death in recent years, at least for shaking baby conviction. Right, the shaking baby syndrome has been largely the debunked by scientists and doctors. Then, some three dozen people have been exonerated after they were convicted of shaking baby homicides. So Robert Robertson's case was unusual in that way. He was still sitting on death row waiting for his execution. It was scheduled for yesterday. I think a lot of people were expecting that it would be followed through, that it would actually be put to death. But there is a fascinating gambit played by members of the Texas legislature. A lot of people have come to his defense, including members of the legislature of both parties, Amy to say that they wanted this case re examined. Even the original detective on the case said, I think he's innocent. We were caught up in trying to convict somebody and we made a lot of mistakes, and then he probably shouldn't be sitting on death roat well. So the Texas House Committee on Criminal Jurisprudence met Wednesday and it's members there were seven of the nine present there. They said, Okay, what we're gonna do. We're going to hold a hearing here. We're going to schedule another hearing for next Monday to talk about shaking baby syndrome, and we want Robert Robertson to testify next Monday. So they shoot a subpoena for him. So this essentially the legislature was saying, yeah, don't put him to death. We want him here to testify before us. The case was wrangled out yesterday throughout the day. The Texas Court of Criminal Appeals said, now we're gonna let the execution to go forward. That's a ridiculous argument. The state legislature can't trump the will of the people or the Justice Department and have somebody not put to death. Well, later in the evening then the Texas Supreme Court trumped the lower court and said, no, we think he probably should testify next week, so don't put him to death. This is crazy. There's the whole story. I mean, it's got ten million different angles on it. It's going to make a great book someday.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So Jim, a two year old died in two thousand and two. Robertson was convicted. So, and you're saying that shake and baby syndrome that has been debunked.
Speaker 6: It has.
Speaker 7: I'd not really heard much about it in the last few years, but yeah, apparently it's not really a thing according to scientists and researchers now who've been looking at it since then. I think that some people still believe it's obviously it's not a good idea to shake a baby anyway, but in terms of a criminal conviction, it's not grounds for a criminal conviction.
Speaker 1: So then how did the baby die?
Speaker 7: He had always insisted, Robertson had insisted that the little girl, Nicky, had fallen out of bed. She had a knot on the back of her head that the investigators found there. That's what he said. And also during his investigations, he didn't show much emotion. He wasn't upset his daughter had just died. Police were talking to him, and he just sort of seemed distant and detached. Cops didn't know at the time he is autistic. He really doesn't show much emotion ever, and that's part of what the detectives now are saying. We didn't realize that, and if we'd known, we might have handled the investigation a bit differently. So that's one of the things that Sam to death throw his own autism and this flat affect, as they call it.
Speaker 1: It'll be interesting to see because I mean, think about that, if he's been in prison for twenty years, if he didn't kill her, I mean, if she really did fall out of it, and I mean, he just the hell he's been living through, right, dealing with that, just knowing that his child had died. I mean yeah.
Speaker 7: The thinking now is that she had pneumonia there too before this, and that she was still recovering. It may have been complications from pneumonia. It could have been an actual fall out of bed. She also had apnea, serious sleep apnea, which might have contributed to this whole thing too.
Speaker 1: So okay, well we'll be watching.
Speaker 7: It came close to execution, they had already transferred him from Texas death Row to the execution chamber, which is one hundred and fifty miles away, so he barely slipped out of that one.
Speaker 1: Okay, well, we'll be watching to see what happens next. Now, let's slip snip over. Let's move over to this one. Smoking too cool for school, but not so much anymore.
Speaker 7: No, Yeah, kids are putting it down. I mean, and whether it's cigarettes, or it's vate pins, or it's dip or chew, you know, kids are doing it less. This is a great report coming out of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Tobacco use among middle and high school students. Believe it or not, middle at high school students are still using tobacco, but it's dropped to a twenty five year low and really a dramatic decrease in just the past year. The National Youth Tobacco Survey, which question is almost thirty thousand kids about their tobacco use or their their you know, no matter the form, they're using it, and found that two point two five million middle and high school students reported using a tobacco product in the past thirty days. Two point twenty five million. That's down from two point eight million in twenty twenty three.
Speaker 1: Okay, so kids experiment, kids break the rules. What is turning them away then from these tobacco products? Is it price? Are parents doing a better job, or do we have any idea or just know that the numbers, well, those.
Speaker 7: Two things certainly, you know, the public awareness campaigns, the price certainly is a part of it. That's led to an overall decline in tobacco use across the board for younger people and older people, you know, in deep deep taxes. So what is it that these kids are using?
Speaker 1: That's what I was going to ask you. What are they doing if they're not smoking tobacco pouches.
Speaker 7: That's what they're using now.
Speaker 1: I like the little chew packages.
Speaker 7: Yeah, there's a product called zin Zy inn Zen Smooth, and this apparently is the one that more kids are. This is the one that has the most popularity among kids. And so, yeah, it's still out there and it's not safe to use it. It's still tobacco, it's still can cause mouth cancer and all sorts of problems for them. So but still Zen is the most popular nicotine pouch that's out there right now.
Speaker 1: Okay, so you just reminded me of something because they've been watching the Dodgers recently and I've noticed that, you know, because it was always a big thing for Dodger for baseball players to chew. Oh yeah, and I noticed that on other teams and maybe I'm just hyper aware of it that I still see them, you know, chewing and spitting. And most of the Dodgers are chewing bubble gum. Yeah, which is great.
Speaker 7: That's what they've gone to.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's great.
Speaker 7: Well, they've been packaging you know, they've had this shredded bubblegum for a long time and you know, in a pouch that looks exactly like a tobacco pouch, you know, and clearly it was marketed toward kids, and I mean twenty years ago or so, maybe longer than that. They pull it out and they pretend they were chewing at like tobacco. They're being groomed to become tobacco users later on that you know, adults baseball players chewing gum. And maybe they're setting up better standard for these kids.
Speaker 1: I certainly hope so. And it appears to be working because the Dodgers are on fire.
Speaker 7: There you go, there, you go, all right, them and gum.
Speaker 1: They're ABC's Jim Ryan. Thanks so much. Have a good weekend, Jamie.
Speaker 2: You're listening to Wake Up Call on demand from KFI AM six forty.
Speaker 1: All right, now, let's say good morning to ABC's Jordanah Miller in Jerusalem, Jordana. Yesterday was a pretty big day for Israel.
Speaker 8: It was Israel finally killed Yasha Teymour, the head of Hamas the mastermind of the October seventh attack that killed nearly twelve hundred Israelis. He ordered his fighters to in really the most gruesome and ghastly way, murder and pillage and rape and mutilate Jews in Israel really hunt them down, hunt them down wherever they were hiding, killing children in front of parents and parents in front of children. So I think the news that he had finally been killed by Israeli forces brought a small measure of relief or justice to the families of the hostages. But of course it's not the end of the story. There's still ninety seven hostages in the Gaza strip. The war still is going on. And the big question now, aside from this kind of victory for Israel on the battlefield, even though it was a kind of coincidental killing by the way Right, it wasn't a special of mission based on intel that found Sinoir hiding. The general assessment was that Sinwar was somewhere underneath Kan Yunis or Rapa in southern Israel, where there were miles and miles of tunnels. He devated Israeli forces for more than a year. But it appeared that he went out late Wednesday night with two other Hamas fighters. They were moving between buildings. They were detected by troops, combat troops, reservists by the way uh, and they uh, you know, per protocol, they aggressively pursued these three hamas terrasts they had no idea was Sinoir. They fired on them, they killed two. One ran into a building. They sent a drone in to see, you know who, what was the situation was with that other uh, with that other suspect, And they found somebody sitting in a chair with his arm wounded, his face covered with a you know, with a piece of fabric as is you know, the case for moss fighters and the Gossen strip. They didn't identify him, but they said, okay, this is a terrorist. They fired an RPG, the building collapsed on him. And then only many hours later the next morning, when they went to go see who was in that building, did they pull out someone who they said, wow, oh my gosh, this looks like Yakasinoir. And then they started the ID process, which took several hours, and we found out, you know, late in the afternoon that he was likely dead, and then a confirmation in the evening based on DNA and teeth and hair. Remember, Yakasinoar served, he was in prison here in Israel for more than two decades. They have a lot of his records so that it was not hard to do a match. And then just a short while ago come off for the first time as acknowledged that he was killed. One of his deputies just gave the statement. So he's gone. But the question is what happens next. Are we going to see the Prime minister work towards a a you know, well, this expedite and brains the end of the war closer and perhaps a huse fire and the release of those hostages. Now that Jakhasinohar is gone. He was an extremist radical. He had very hardline positions. Maybe whoever takes over will show more flexibilities.
Speaker 1: So we will find that out in the coming days. Now you mentioned that he'd been held in prison for like twenty years. How did he get out?
Speaker 8: Yeajissinoir who was in Israeli He was in an Israeli prison, not for killing Israelis. He was in prison for killing Palestinian quote unquote collaborators, those who worked with the Israelis. And he was released in a prisoner exchange deal the release of Israeli bodies and related to the release of one Israeli soldier back in two thousand and twelve, Pila Chelite. He was released right before that as part of that deal where another. You know, almost more than a thousand other Palestinian prisoners were released. He went back to Gaza and in just over a decade built up Hamas and launch the ghastly attack on October seventh.
Speaker 1: Okay, well, I don't think a lot of people are shedding any tears for yeah, ye right now. And it'll be interesting to see if it creates opportunities to, like you said, if there's somebody who might come in and not be quite such a hardliner, maybe get the remaining hostages.
Speaker 8: We can already see the President Biden, you know, is going to try to see this moment and put pressure on the mediators and on Humma. Israel already says they're going to be working on this center of Saint Anthony. Blinkin's expected back here in the region. So we're going to see a big push. Now let's hope it actually, uh you know, yields some results.
Speaker 1: All right, thank you so much, jar Don and Miller appreciate the information. As always, we'll talk.
Speaker 6: So in.
Speaker 2: You're listening to Wake Up Call on demand from KFI AM six forty.
Speaker 1: Right now, let's say good morning too, the of Home on KFI. The House Whisper he always warms our heart. It's Dean Sharp, Good morning, Dean Amy King. So I remember when this first started being a thing that you could like control your lights from your phone, or you could turn off your sprinklers from your phone. But this is a whole revolution, like everybody's jumping on board now.
Speaker 9: It's true, it's true. We're going to talk about this on Sunday, on the Big Show on Sunday. Just the benefits actually of living in the connected age. I know, you know, we spent a lot of time talking about, you know, the detriments of being overly connected, but when it comes to your home as far as keeping it safe and having control of things, it's really quite convenient to have all of this control you know, in your pocket eventually, and everything from burglary and security systems to safety from floods or fires or freezing temperature. There's irrigation like you mentioned, and a whole another part of senior care which a lot of people are giving a serious nod to, which is these remote medication dispensing systems and what we call passive behavior discovery ways of keeping senior parents and loved ones in their homes but keeping them safe and monitored, not invasively, but monitored all at the same time. All of this now is available to us, and some of it at a cost that is considerably cheaper than nursing care or in home nursing assistance, that kind of stuff.
Speaker 1: How does that work?
Speaker 9: Well, okay, so we'll take a system like envoy at home. It's just one of a lot of different systems that are out there, but it's a good one. And what this means is putting in sensors motion sensors in throughout a home. Okay, they're discreet, they're not in your face, and as a result, connecting these sensors to you know, I don't want to say, big brother, what it is. It's an algorithm system. It's what's called passive behavior discovery. And what it does is just kind of tracks for a while what a normal routine is, like, oh, yeah, Mom normally gets up at eight thirty in the morning, and then she's in the bathroom for about a half an hour, and then she's out and about in da da da da da, And these things are being recorded and patterns are being developed. And then what happens is if we know that mom's in bed and she isn't up at eight thirty and it's nine o'clock or nine p fifteen or nine thirty and mom has not you know, kind of gone through her regular schedule.
Speaker 1: You're going to get a notification. Okay, So it's not like sitting there just totally watching you. But it's like, hey, there's no movement now and there normally is, so maybe something's wrong.
Speaker 9: Exactly exactly the nudge that says, hey, you know, give a call, find out what's going on. Or if if somebody's been in the bathroom way longer than normal.
Speaker 1: Again, it might have just been something they ate last night. It could be but my mom would be so mad, Dean if I did that, Hey Mom, I noticed you were in the bathroom extra launch, she'd go, oh, Amy, stop watching me.
Speaker 5: I know, I know, I know.
Speaker 9: And it's you know that the whole subject of senior care in those ways gets to be, you know, a difficult thing. You know, it's like, oh, no, you're not going to put me in the home, or no, I don't need a nurse, or no. But at the end of the day, you know, the Sandwich generation that we are right taking care of kids and taking care of aging parents, all at the same time. These can be helpful tools in the right situation, they really can't be.
Speaker 1: I like that idea again, if I assisted living very important, but if there's just a few things that maybe if you just were able to control a few things, they could stay in their home. And what's the remote medication dispensing?
Speaker 9: Oh this is now, you know, here's one that not a lot of people argue with at all. And these are little units there. There are appliances that sit on like the countertop in the kitchen, and what we do is will load up somebody's medication for the entire month, all the pill combinations, everything that's needed. On Thursdays, it's got to be this, and on Friday nights it's got to be that. But bua ba bah, this little appliance knows all that keeps them basically under lock and key in its belly and on a daily basis at the right time. It basically it dispenses the right medication at the right time and it does not allow more medications to be dispensed. So if we're talking about dementia or Alzheimer's or somebody who may be struggling with their memory, Now what we're doing is we're eliminating the possibility of double and triple dosing because somebody forgot that they just took their medicine a half an hour ago.
Speaker 1: Very cool, Okay, that's cool. And then you're just talking about how we can kind of do everything. Now, what are some other things that maybe you can do with your phone that you don't have to actually move around your house to do anymore? Well, we get lazier and lazier.
Speaker 9: Lights are a big thing.
Speaker 1: Lights are lights are a huge thing.
Speaker 9: But I would I would go so far as to say that there are some real safety aspects to this, the fact that we have I don't know, I would say maybe fifty percent of the lights in our home are on some kind of app control, smart control, not all of them, And it's not from laziness one. From an esthetic point of view. It allows us to set scenes, and you and I've talked about this before. Set a scene like in the family room, and in fact, I just added a scene three weeks ago. It's called Autumn. And so now I walk in and say, hey, you know the name of my personal set the lights to autumn. And then all of a sudden, everything goes into a particular mood. That's all lovely experiential. But from a safety perspective, isn't it cool. Let's say I'm not home, Tina's already gone to bed, she hears a bump or a noise or a weirdness. Isn't it cool that she can simply roll over, grab her phone and say, hey, turn on all the lights in the house and suddenly vomp everywhere, living room, hallway. You know, things are bright lit up, and there's a level of safety and security to that.
Speaker 1: And safety and security is all a good thing. So you know what I here's what I want. And tell me you guys, if you agree, If you want something to really impress me, get something that actually gets up and makes the coffee for me.
Speaker 9: See there you go. Well, you know, I mean you can make you still have to make it. I guess we make our coffee the night before and set the machine to do its thing.
Speaker 1: I do too, except on the weekends, and I just go, oh, man, who's going to make the coffee?
Speaker 9: And how disappointing is it that you didn't remember to do it?
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, well I did. I actually I do, but I can't set the timer because on weekends. I don't get up at two thirty in the morning.
Speaker 9: Oh, you're right, you're right. We have that same issue where our schedule shifts. Yep, yeah, that's true.
Speaker 1: Okay, we're going to talk more about home monitoring. Actually I'm not going to, but Dean Sharp, the House Whisperer is six to eight on Saturday, nine to noon on Sunday. Right here on KFI, it's Home with Dean Sharp. Thank you, Dean Sharp, Thank you.
Speaker 9: Amy.
Speaker 1: Have a lovely weekend. You too.
Speaker 2: You're listening to Wake Up Call on demand from KFI AM six forty.
Speaker 1: Right now, let's say good morning too, ABC's Will gans Will. This is a good weekend to curl up on the couch and binge away.
Speaker 6: That's exactly right. I've got some wonderful movie recommendations for you, Amy, and for all your listeners here. And let me preface it by saying that each of these has a ninety five percent rating or higher on Rotten Tomatoes, so they're all good options.
Speaker 1: Ohneive percent and it broughten tomatoes. Is that from viewers or critics? That's viewers, right.
Speaker 2: It's both.
Speaker 6: It's both. So they'll have a critic score and audience score and all of the scores for each of these films is very, very high.
Speaker 1: Okay, so we're going to start with We're going to start with The Wild Robot, which is still.
Speaker 3: In theaters exactly.
Speaker 6: But the good news is if you don't want to take a trip to the theaters, you can also buy it on Amazon Crime Video. You can stream it at home as well, So whichever one. If you're looking to make a little trip to the theater, you can do that, or if you want to watch it at home, you can too. But The Wild Robot is an animated film. This is great for kids and parents alike. It's about the robot who falls off of a cargo ship and washes up on an island that's only inhabited by animals. And she was the robot that was designed to sort of help humans complete tasks. So she's looking for a task to complete, and what she ends up stumbling upon is a gobbling an orphaned gosling that needs a mother basically, And the story that follows is so beautiful and so heartwarming, and there's tons of adventure that the kids will love, but there are tons of like beautiful life lessons in there too. I was peering up when I was watching it, so I think it's a winner for the whole family.
Speaker 1: Oh, I was crying during the trailers for that one.
Speaker 6: Yes, it'll get you. So if you're gonna watch it, bring your clean.
Speaker 1: Up for sure, okay, and you can do it in the in the comfort of your own home, So if you do have an ugly cry, then nobody has to see you.
Speaker 6: If the mascara is running all over the place, it's totally fine because you'll be on your couch and there's no one around you and see yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so will Why put it on the stream so quickly when it's still in theaters?
Speaker 6: I think because you know that these production companies realize that, you know, as our viewing habits are changing, they're going to sort of meet people where they're at and right now. I think with a movie like this in particular, there's not a real sense that you have to be one of the first people to see it, and you know that you might with a Marvel movie to avoid spoilers or something like that. So I think they're thinking, Okay, you know, we can release this at home and people will watch it there, or they can go to the theater if they want to watch it there too.
Speaker 1: Okay, the Wild Robot, I'm putting that on my list of two watches. Okay, so Halloween is just less than two weeks away, so we need some good and spooky and scary.
Speaker 6: Oh oh yeah, okay. So Strange Darling is a thriller that you can watch again on Prime. I think it's also on Apple TV plut. So this is definitely not for the kids in your house. It's about a spree that a serial killer goes on after a one night stand. So the crazy thing with this movie is that it's sort of told out of order, so and but it will tell you as you're watching, like, okay, chapter three, so you know you're smashedab in the middle of a sixth chapter story, and then it'll cut back to chapter one, and so you're sort of puzzling this thing together as you're watching it. And it is unlike any thriller I've seen before. It is really original, really fresh storytelling, and it'll keep you guessing up until the very end. Really fun watch.
Speaker 1: Okay, So when you say it's a fun watch, is it is there funny in it? Or is it just slash and gore?
Speaker 6: It's suspenseful, it's not super gory. There is a little bit of blood in there, So if that makes you squeamish, maybe this isn't the movie for you, but it's it's a very suspenseful and original watch. So when I say fun, I just mean like, it's not one of those that you're going to be like I saw this coming a mile away.
Speaker 1: Well, our buddy Nick Pauliochanne's gonna love that one. Then he the thrillers in the you know, death and destruction, Yes, yes, for something a little bit lighter, maybe a little heartwarming, you have Thelma, what's that? Okay?
Speaker 6: So this is a great, great movie that it's it's think Mission Impossible, but instead of Tom Cruise, the hero is a ninety three year old grandmother. So this is based it's based on a true story about a woman who was conned out of ten thousand dollars and when she realizes that she sent you know, ten thousand dollars cash to someone who is claiming to be her grandson. And she realizes, you know, I have the address of where this po box is. It's not that far from where I live. She this ninety three year old woman goes on a mission to get it back, and it's just there's a little bit of action, of course, on the scale of what a ninety three year old would be able to handle. It's funny and it's also heartwarming, and there's some really beautiful lessons in there about aging and about what caring for our elderly, you know, parents and grandparents kind of looks like. And it's just checks a lot of boxes for a lot of different people. And Selma, I just can't recommend it enough. And that is streaming as well, so you can watch that one at home as well.
Speaker 1: Okay, cool, And will I have a question for you about that because that sounds so familiar. Was this a movie that was supposed to come out like a year god.
Speaker 5: Get so yet exactly?
Speaker 6: So it did come out, but I think it was a limited release, so you might have seen trailers for it and then been like, wait a minute, how come I never saw this in theaters? How come I never It never gained so much traction, So that's exactly what happened. Yes, and it is streaming now and it's you know, it's definitely worth the watch.
Speaker 1: Okay. Oh, I'm actually kind of excited about that because I remember seeing the trailer and going, oh, that looks kind of cute. That'd be fun, but it wasn't one that really spurred me to make that trip down to the movie theater. So good to know we can watch it.
Speaker 6: At home exactly. And it has a really fun cast as well. James Squid plays the lead, and then Parker Posey is in it, so lots of good performances.
Speaker 1: And yeah, yeah, okay, you've convinced me, Will, I'm going to camp out on my couch this weekend. Thank you so much.
Speaker 6: I'm glad I could be the person to convince you to do it. Enjoy, enjoyed. They're all great movies.
Speaker 1: All right, we'll talk to you next week. Thanks Will.
Speaker 5: All right, take care.
Speaker 1: You've been listening to Wake Up Call with me Amy King. You can always hear Wake Up Call five to six am Monday through Friday on kf I Am six forty and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio app.