Speaker 1: You got me bad.
Speaker 2: Hey everybody, welcome to Game Mess Mornings with Me Jeff Grub, your host from giant bomb dot com. Thank you for tuning in. In this episode, we're gonna be talking about a ton of Donkey Kong Bonanza news and how Subnautica Tooth publisher might be screwing with that game. It's going to be a good one because we have Jan and Choa on the show. Jen, how are you doing.
Speaker 3: I'm doing great. I used the gym in my apartment today for the first time, and then of course there was no one in there. It was great. I was getting the pump on, I was a getting the walk on. And then as soon as I decided to calm down on the treadmill walk a quick mile empty Jim, pretty fairly big Jim, someone else rolls in. I see that they're ready to get running. They go on the treadmill right next to me.
Speaker 2: Why, of course, yeah, I don't know. I definitely would never do that, and I kind of don't understand. I mean, people have their there's there's set ways, like maybe that's what they always do. I don't know, they always use that treadmill. But other other than that, I kind of. I can't figure out any justifications for that.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 2: I do always use the urinal right next to yours when you're going, oh yeah.
Speaker 4: I mean that's the only way I feel safe.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the buddy system, of course, but that's that's a different situation, of course, that's just regular etiquette.
Speaker 1: In the in the men's room. Yeah, I am.
Speaker 2: I need to get back to working out. I took some time off because it was like feeling a little bit.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 2: Mostly was like okay, I was losing some weight there and I had less energy. And now I'm like stabilized. I should just actually get back on a good routine. So well, grew up doing some stuff here there.
Speaker 3: You know, it's not like you and I and and Dan and back Or and Minati went through any major life changes recently, so I don't know why anything would disrupt that pattern at all.
Speaker 2: So exactly no excuses really, and the best part, we're not getting either.
Speaker 1: So yeah, really don't have to do much of anything about any of this.
Speaker 4: Congrats, I'm being twenty five.
Speaker 1: Thank you you.
Speaker 2: Likewise, all right, let's explain what we do here and explain ourselves.
Speaker 1: For Giant Bomb.
Speaker 2: You go to Giant Bomb dot com slash Join, you can become a premium member.
Speaker 1: Help us out.
Speaker 2: It really does go a long way toward making all of this possible, making us able to do cool things as we travel and attend game events. Things along those lines. Also gets you add free versions of the shows. It gets you some special goodies. You can take part in that town hall we did recently. We'll have more stuff like that going forward in the meantime though, GiantBomb dot com slash join, and there's also details there about other ways you can help us out.
Speaker 1: As far as this show goes.
Speaker 2: Most weekdays, I Jeff Grubb, will help piece your gaming life back together. That includes breaking news and maybe even some of our own original reporting. For all these topics, I'll get the input of a bona fide expert who will make me look smart. You are watching live on Twitch Welcome. You can always listen to the show later on podcast feeds by searching for Game Mornings, or find the RSS feed on GiantBomb dot com. You can also catch the show later on YouTube. Hello YouTube. All right, we have a lot to get into, so let's start the show with Crafton pushes Subnautica to release to twenty twenty six.
Speaker 1: This is from Sophie McAvoy at Games Industry Ibiz.
Speaker 2: Unknown Worlds has delayed Subnautica two to next year to quote give the development team more time to implement community feedback, as reported by Eurogamer, The studio's parent company, Crafton, clarified the decision was made prior to recent leadership changes.
Speaker 1: Last week.
Speaker 2: Crafton said the delay was based solely on its commitment to quality into delivering the best possible experience for players, and not quote influenced by any contractual or financial considerations. This comes after Bloomberg reviewed a purchase agreement that allegedly stated at a two hundred and fifty million dollar bonus was planned if the studio hit certain revenue targets by the end of this year. Sources told the publication that the former leadership team I had to share the additional money with all the studio's employees. They also claim that the staff who were at the company at the time of Crafton's acquisition were told they were eligible for bonuses ranging from hundreds of thousands of dollars to seven figures. Unknown World's new CEO, Steve Paputis Yeah addressed these issues in a company town Hall, also reviewed by Bloomberg. The desire of Crafton is to have the very best version of some Subnautica two available for its early access, said Papootis. While yes, the software that everybody worked on is in a great spot and felt like, hey, we should launch this, this wasn't where both parties aligned around.
Speaker 1: Jan I think this is about the money.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think it is.
Speaker 1: About the money.
Speaker 2: In fact, I've heard it's about the money, and kind of feel pretty confident to say this publisher is not being forthright about this. It's been alleged to me that they're not being forthright about this. And if they delay the game of twenty twenty six and it cannot launch this year, it's not going to be able to reach the threshold it needs to get that to hundred fifty million dollar bonus. I think maybe this is even why those people left. I guess I don't know that for sure, but that definitely seems to be that lines up pretty closely here.
Speaker 1: That's uncool.
Speaker 3: That's very uncool, especially for a game like the original Subnoutica. A lot of people latched onto and became sub subnotic, The Subnotic heads subnotic heads and having that two hundred and fifty million bonus as an incentive is a great target to have, especially if this game is already pretty far along the way. But for Crafton to kind of pull the rug from underneath a lot of people very scummy rub and you can't help but feel that it is definitely tied to the monetary aspect. A couple of people in chat were even surprised that Subnoutica two was even announced. Maybe they had missed that. So I can't the excuse that the publisher of the developers trying to include a lot of community feedback. I don't know how valid that is.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think that this game probably is ready. That's what I've heard that the early access stated's in now is not just like acceptable, it's pretty good, Like they got a game there ready to go. And so, you know, a good way to build on a game that's in that situation, especially one that you always intended to launch in early access, is to launch it into early access and then get community feedback at that point, and then you could pair that up with telemetry data and all kinds of other information about how people are actually playing your game. This idea that's like, well, let's go keep it in the oven, and that way you can't make the revenue.
Speaker 1: I mean, it's pretty transparent to me at least.
Speaker 3: Also, Grub, I don't know where this TRENDSERD coming out with publishers just not releasing games when they have a game right there. Yeah, because generally, and again folks, I didn't major in economics and I'm not a business person. I'm a video person by trade. But in my opinion, if you release the game and people buy the game, that the people that are releasing the game get the money, right, So make it makes sense?
Speaker 1: Grubb, Yeah, it's it's it's tough to say like this.
Speaker 2: I suppose like this is them looking at a deal they already made and be like, well, we can make more money if we just release this game on January first, twenty twenty six, and then we don't have to pay the money that we would oh as part of a former deal. We just get the money going forward. So, you know, two hundred and fifty million dollars saved, it is two hundred fifty million dollars earned in their eyes. And you know, I think in this case it's two hundred and fifty million dollars stolen from people who did the work, and we're doing the work with the understanding that they would likely be on the hook for huge bonuses like some like seven figure bonuses for some employees six figure employee and bonuses for a lot of other employees. That's you know, life changing money in a lot of ways, and that likely they have but been busting their ass with the idea that money would be theirs. Yeah, now Crafting gets to keep that.
Speaker 3: I mean, yeah, you know, working towards some type of goal like the game release is one thing, but also having that extra incentive like you mentioned Grub, of having that bonus. Uh down the line, Wow, I sound like a robot in my ears now.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, you just you just went especially weird. Yeah, uh talk a little bit more, see if the.
Speaker 4: Hopefully leave back into place. No is it anyway?
Speaker 1: No, it's just more robody.
Speaker 3: Well, we're just gonna keep going, then, seat craft that is trying to get to me. They're trying to sink me underwater. Crub, That's exactly what they're doing. But like you mentioned, Grub, some jobs require you to move across the country or to a completely different country. Altogether, and then you start planning for a amount of salary in your budgeting grub and then you have that incentive of a bonus and you start planning around that bonus because nothing else seems like it's that is going to get away or whatever, and then it gets pulled away, Like we've been in meetings grow up where people get very very angry about certain bonuses or compensation getting removed, and not just because people aren't working hard or they feel.
Speaker 4: Entitled to them, but because they, you know, have earned it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's it's you know, at a certain point becomes part of the compensation, and if it's if it's on the schedule of like you're looking at, Hey, this is the kind of thing where if I do this, I could get that it is completely unfair and potentially illegal and potentially a breach of contract to let the people work with that understanding and then to pull the rug out from underneath them. Now, who knows what the contracts actually say, but maybe Crafton has free reign to make this decision and they're allowed to say, hey, no, this really isn't up to our standard, even if our standard has moved or whatever, because we want to save money, but like.
Speaker 1: That's all right, We're allowed to do that.
Speaker 2: Hopefully, though there is a potential here for some sort of arbitration to come in and lay down the law and say, we could tell what's happening here. This is a breach of the contract by really all meaningful measures, and the people that you know should get paid will get paid.
Speaker 1: But you know, I'm not hopeful about that.
Speaker 2: That's the kind of thing that would require a ton of effort, a ton of likely legal fees and stuff that Like who's going to spearhead that if the former leadership of this studio is all kind of out the door, is it going to come from a collection of the developers. I got to imagine they're feeling pretty low in terms of morale right now. It might be hard to sort of rally the troops to get something like that done, especially if there's no guarantee it'll work.
Speaker 3: It's a really unfortunate that this feels like grub something that a union would be very handy to have in this instance, especially when your leadership is either leaves on their owner cord or gets ousted. And now knowing this extra fact of the two hundred and fifty million dollars bonus. I could see them getting ousted because those people would probably get the biggest chunk of it.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, now you're starting to sound like Emo Phillips, and I'm really liking it. Like that's a that's a pretty good, pretty good look, pretty good sound.
Speaker 1: There we go. I don't know, We'll kind.
Speaker 2: Of just see what happens here. I'm I've been looking forward to Subnautica two. Maybe I'll just go play Subnautica one. I wonder, like, let's see, it's the deal is if they made a certain amount of revenue. I wonder if like the community could just go and buy Subnautica one over and over again and still get them to that number or something like that. It probably is such an astronomical number that only a new game could really do that.
Speaker 1: But yeah, I don't know. This is very unfortunate, grub.
Speaker 3: The other unfortunate aspect of this is that a game that came out forever ago is Star Wars Battlefront two, and if folks tuned into the show yesterday, you and Sean detailed about how it jumped out number twelve on the Steam.
Speaker 1: Charts, and that's in five or something like that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so that game, even though it's you, it's maybe like what five dollars at the moment or at the moment that he was blowing up, that's still income. That's still money, and that's still revenue being generated. I don't get it, Like, yeah, why not treat your employees and the people that are going to make your game to a nice bonus if they're going to guarantee that you are getting some type of income. And also this just looks bad. I'm crafting.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's a.
Speaker 2: Kind of situation where it's like who would want to work with crafting? Although you know, there's not a lot of choices out there these days. There's not a lot of like Okay, let's uh not work with craft and I'm gonna go to the menu and choose a different publisher off of it and have my say you kind of these days you kind of have to just go with what you're given. And that seems to be It's gonna be the case for the studio for sure. They were acquired, you know, the High Fi Rush Studio, Tango Game Works. There are under crafton now right as well, so they have to be looking at this and being like, man, what does this mean for us? Although you know they were rescued, so they might be like, let's not look a gift horse in the mouth. I don't know, but it's definitely the situation where I think Crafton feels like they can do this because they can get away with it and there's not a lot of other publishers like on their level.
Speaker 1: Like that doesn't mean there's not above them.
Speaker 2: There are, but there's like that weird middle level of they got quite a bit of money and like more so than it would seem like.
Speaker 1: A Devolver Digital.
Speaker 2: Devolver Digital is a very successful publisher, but they don't have a pubg making money in the background for them. That's just like you know, a printing cash. And so it's like Crafton can kind of be like, no, we can take on some of these bigger projects and really believe in them, but why would you want to work with them?
Speaker 1: And then at the same time, do you really have a choice.
Speaker 2: If someone's gonna write a check with the promise of maybe more money, you might have to believe them, even if they have a proven record of sort of being shady about that kind of thing. It's it's it's as always right now for this industry pretty grim.
Speaker 3: Isn't PUBG Mobile enough to just keep printing money for them?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: I mean PUBG Mobile and pubg both have You know, pubg every day on Steam still gets like eight hundred thousand concurrent players. It's massive, and pubg Mobile is same way and very very lucrative. So yeah, all right, Jen, Let's let's take a break and see maybe let you like reset the goxler or something like that, and then we'll come back from this break after these messages, which you could skip if you get the ad free versions by going to giant bomb dot com slash Join giant bomb dot com slash Join. We'll be back, be back after this. This episode of giant Bomb is brought to you by giant bomb dot com. Slash Join. Join us there, become a member. It helps us make fun stuff. It gets you add free content. It also helps us make some extras here and there that will give exclusively to you as members. It's giant bomb dot com. Slash Join for ten dollars a month or one hundred dollars a year, where you save twenty dollars. You can support us in making all the cool stuff that we make over here at giant Bomb once again. That's giant Bomb dot Com. Slash Join become a member now. I'm Jeff Grub. That's Janetchoa, our returning champion Jen. Say hi to everybody.
Speaker 3: Hello, my voice is returned. I've got it back from the subnoticons.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Crafton can't take my boy's voice, even if they are the gaming publisher ursula.
Speaker 1: I'm not gonna let it happen.
Speaker 4: There we go. That's what I was thinking too.
Speaker 2: All right, let's get on with the stories here. We got a ton of stuff kind of out of Nintendo, a lot of stuff specifically about Donkey Kong Bonanza, a game I continue to be very excited about. Jan but uh yeah, they're talking about it over there, giving us a few more details here or there, also giving us some insights into how the game got made. First, let's start here. Donkey Kong Bananz's director and producer have been confirmed. This is from Ali Reynolds at Nintendo Life. Donkey Kong Bananza's key development staff, specifically its director and producer have been confirmed. Thanks to an interview with IgM, we knew that the team behind Super Mario Odyssey has been busy working on Donkey Kong Bonanza, But now it's been confirmed that Kazuya Takahashi is serving as the game's director, while Kina Modakura is the game's producer. Motokura previously directed Super Mario Odyssey and worked on the likes of Super Mario Sunshine, Pickman and Super Mario Galaxy, while Takashi only joined Nintendo back in twenty twenty, bringing with him some key experience in open world game design. Of course, the key question in our minds now is what might potentially what this might potentially mean for a three D Mario. Of course everyone's wondering that, but yeah, I mean, this is very much the three D Mario team, down to the director being the producer on this one. And the only world change here is like for the director of this game, they brought in someone.
Speaker 1: Who's a little bit more familiar with open world stuff.
Speaker 2: It sounds like that team is working on this game in full or at least has been. And of course let's just get right to it, like, what do you think this does mean for three D Mario When you hear this extra tidbit of information grab the.
Speaker 3: Only thing that comes to mind is that, like, okay, maybe it's a little bit further away than expected, but also just based off of how Nintendo operates, I'm kind of under the assumption that Donkey Kong Bonanza has been close to the finish line, if not past the finish line, for a while now, so work can begin on the next three D Mario and I kind of enjoy how Nintendo may has been approaching things, especially with all the stories we've heard come out of Super Mario Brothers Wonder where they're kind of like letting a younger team work on it and just share their ideas. So I'm not super concerned with it. If anything, I'm more excited about Donkey Kong Bonanza knowing that it has for sure for sure the DNA of games like Super Mario Odyssey.
Speaker 1: Yep.
Speaker 2: I'm I'm right there with you, and it's I think that this was them looking at Donkey Kong and being like, let's let's really throw everything into.
Speaker 1: That, and what does that mean for Mario.
Speaker 2: I think you're right that this game probably has been near the finish line for quite some time, and there was there's reasons to think that this next story kind of lends itself to that Donkey Kong Bonanza, like Mario Kart World was initially planned for Switch one. This is from Ali Reynolds and Nintendo Life. Nintendo has revealed in a new interview with ig And that Donkey Kong Bonanza was originally planned for the Switch one. Producer Kinta Motakura and director Kasua Takahashi explained that the game was being built on Switch one with the same Vauxel technology used to create in the destructible environments that you see in the game now. However, upon learning about the Switch to, the team shifted development over to the new console to take full advantage of the increased specs. It wasn't just the added power. They also wanted to use the mouse. They said, as well, that's fun.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I always got the sense of this was.
Speaker 2: A game that was like being built for Switch one and really with the idea that it would launch alongside the Switch Pro.
Speaker 1: I think that's probably what was going to happen here.
Speaker 2: And then the Switch Pro became the Switch too, and at that point they're like, well, let's lean towards making this a Switch to exclusive rather than trying to make it a cross gen game or anything like that, or Switch one exclusive game.
Speaker 1: By the time it's ready.
Speaker 2: Switch to should be here, so let's just focus on that, and then the Switch two got delayed a little bit. So I think that timeline kind of like creates the opportunity that you're talking about jam, where this is a game that probably was pretty close to being in place for a switch to launch that was going to happen months ago, and then even BEFO for that it was, you know, to Switch pro internally was something that seemed like it was supposed to come out years ago. And so maybe if that's how it was going, I'm sure they were using all that time to make this game better and better and better, but that does not mean they would not have the ability to get something else up off the ground. And at the same time, Jan, I'm just not like, my hopes are not that high for a new three D Mario imminently, like within the next couple of years. Sure, but there's a lot of people who are still like it could happen this year, could happen next year, And I'm just not getting my hopes up in that way. And really, at the same time, Donkey Kong Bananza, it looks like it might be enough for me.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think Donkey Kong Bananz is going to be enough for me. I also, you know there we have a Metroid game out on the horizon later this year. Subway tunnels would lead you to believe it's out this year, but I am okay taking a longer breath and giving more time to whatever the next three D Mario may look like. If that means we get other character games popping up in the meantime, By all means, I don't mind if we get another Kirby game, Kirby game, that'd be great, perhaps like another significant Splatoon expansion pack or efforts we are actually getting that, aren't we, uh that Spatoon Horde mode or something.
Speaker 2: There's something I think there's a Yes, there's something happy with I don't know if it's a Hord mode or not.
Speaker 1: That might already have happened.
Speaker 3: I'm not sure though, And we're getting like the Kirby Air Ride game. I feel like we will be completely fine, and I feel like Donkey Kong Bananza based off of the previews, I think we will have plenty to satiate our appetite for three D Open World Nintendo games.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I do have. I have some startling news though, Kasya Takahashi. Let's check his his Moby games. Maybe this is not the same one. Someone in chat said he worked on Sonic Adventure.
Speaker 4: Two oh, and it was.
Speaker 2: Maybe a director of that game. That's just that's terrible news for me. I'm joking, that's fine. Yeah, I'm mostly excited just because Donkey Combananza looks fantastic. Previews have been glowing, and they kind of it sounds like they would just like had this idea of let's kind of take Donkey Kong as a character and do something that makes sense for him.
Speaker 1: In fact, that that's kind.
Speaker 2: Of what they go on to say in some of these interviews, and I'm like, yeah that, I just like this team riffing on idea and going deeper and deeper and deeper and finding what like what kind of fun they can uncover. And it looks like it's going to be exactly that game, So really looking forward to it.
Speaker 1: Let's you know, real quick.
Speaker 2: People mentioned also that Koizumi not or maybe less involved. You know, Koizumi is someone who worked on Super Mario Brothers and has worked on a bunch of Nintendo games ever since, and it's like the three D Mario guy. He kind of pushed them towards making Donkey Kong. Sounds like he's still executive producer level, but in the way that like Anuma has been on Zelda and the way has been for like sort of all Nintendo games, although maybe to a more extreme degree where he's even further away now and kind of working on movies and theme parks and then kind of comes in and gives advice here or there to the development teams. Uh okay, let's see your Super Mario Odyssey. Producer pushed for a new three D Donkey Kong dev explains how Destruction Focus came to be.
Speaker 1: This is from Nintendo Everything.
Speaker 2: If you're wondering why we're finally getting a new three D Donkey Kong game with the upcoming launch of Bonanza, you could thank Yoshiaki Koizumi. According to producer Kinta moto Kura, it was Koizumi that made the push. Koizumi was most recently the producer of Super Mario Otissey.
Speaker 4: He was also the.
Speaker 1: Director of Donkey Kong Jungle be.
Speaker 2: Moto Kura told IGN in an interview, well, I would say the very original impetus for the development of Donkey Kong bonanza was when my boss, mister Koizumi approached our team and asked us to consider working on a three D Donkey Kong game, and that's when we realized we really needed to know more about Donkey Kong. So we went and spoke to mister Miham, the original creator of the character, and mister Miamoto had has experienced not only working on Donkey Kong games that he was directly responsible for, but also working alongside Rare on the Donkey Kong games that they created, and for him, a lot of things that came up were the unique actions that a really strong character like Donkey Kong can engage in, things like the handslap and blowing his breath.
Speaker 1: It's like a combination of things.
Speaker 2: That Donkey Kong has had in you know, Miamoto games, and then some of the stuff that was in Rare games and being like, yeah, this is the stuff Donkey Kong is known for.
Speaker 1: You should definitely lean into that.
Speaker 2: And you can kind of see them being like, Okay, well we have that, and we have this three D vauxel technology for Super Mario Odyssey that we used for like Mario punching through snow or punching through cheese, and that's something they talk about in this interview as well, and it's like, let's combine that with Donkey Kong's you know, strong arms and destroying stuff and make a game along those lines. And that's kind of what led to Bonanza. To me, that sounds like a really great like thread to start pulling on. Do you think that can hold up a whole game?
Speaker 3: I believe so, Greb, especially again given the the DNA behind this game and everyone everyone's previous pedigree. I feel like they know how to sustain a three D platform or, let alone an open world platformer. I also like the idea of people internally at Nintendo, instead of maybe referencing like a wiki article or like a YouTube studio moto, it's like, hey, let's just ask me a moto and then they just sit on the floor and it's story time with with yeah, chrisscross a, yeah, yeah, I don't know, it's uh. I think it's great that someone can have an idea at Nintendo and start pulling at that thread and it becomes like a whole different thing that unravels. I'm curious as to other threads that have been pulled and poked at that actually have been turned down in recent years a lot of because I feel like I enjoyed the weird takes on Yoshi being made out of yarn and then that one Kirby game. I'd be excited to learn what other modes and meanings have been have been pitched for other characters, perhaps like a kid ick Ris whose wings are actually made out of wax.
Speaker 1: Yeah, like a physics bace Kid Chris game.
Speaker 2: And there's the heat from the sun is modeled in the game, and you can you have to fly high because there's enemies down there, but their son up there. We just made a game jan wow, Bamoto, bring us up and cut the check. I guess that'd be a Sakarai. Sakai give us a call. You almost certainly have ideas of your own.
Speaker 4: But whatever, no, go to sleep.
Speaker 2: I yeah, I'm just like the idea of them, like taking that stuff? Is that that destruction stuff in Super Mariodyssy was already pretty impressive. Yeah, I just want to see how they expand on that, what else they do, because it's like I want to punch you that stuff.
Speaker 1: That's going to probably be enough for me.
Speaker 2: I'm someone who like likes to explore, likes to just sort of things the skeptical, the skeptics out there that we're playing it, and we're like, you know, this is maybe a bit two open.
Speaker 1: Where's the direction toward the fun?
Speaker 2: I wonder how they sort of balance that, But not too long before we find out.
Speaker 3: Just knowing the people that work here grub, I can see us getting stuck on like whatever First Island or First World, just breaking everything in trying to reset everything or breaking things in specific ways.
Speaker 4: I'm very excited for this game.
Speaker 2: All right, Let's move on to slightly different Nintendo news. Monolith's Soft Tokyo is developing a large scale RPG.
Speaker 1: For Nintendo switch To. This is from my Nintendo News.
Speaker 2: The talented team of developers at Monolith's Soft Tokyo have been hard at work developing a large scale RPG for the Nintendo switch To. The established company is currently on a massive hiring spree to fill a variety of an integral positions to make this all possible. It is not clear what the Zeno Blade developer is working on next, other than a large scale RPG. There are rumors that a sequel Xeno Blake Chronicles X was in development but how trustworthy the source of this rumor is remains to be seen. Jan You are one of my Zeno Blade boys. You're someone that I can come to. Hey, I know you liked Zena Blade Chronicles three a lot. This is a franchise that you're somewhat into. Do you want the next big RPG from this team to be as another Xena Blade game.
Speaker 3: I really fell in love with Zeno Blade Chronicles three. I enjoyed and appreciated the flute for the very first time grub and Yeah, I don't know. I honestly would even be jazz with a remaster or just a straight up port that runs better on the switch to. But given the scope of Xeno Blade Chronicles three and what the little bit that I've played of Xeno Blade Chronicles X, I wouldn't mind them just embarking on a whole new game. I see some people in chat saying, Hey, bring back Zeno Saga. I don't think the world is ready for that, because I'm still reeling from the reveal that Cosmos is not actually Cosmos, but Cosmos like the Cosmos.
Speaker 1: Going to be tough to deal with, for sure.
Speaker 3: But I would love to see the next entry in if it's like a proper Zeno Blade Chronicles four or if it's a completely original project, just because I've enjoyed a lot of what this team is brought to the table already.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I I I enjoyed z know Zeno Gears three guys, now I'm like mixing up the name.
Speaker 1: Wait.
Speaker 2: Yes, Zeno Blade Chronicles three didn't play a ton of it played like ten to twelve hours and really was like maybe no, I get it, and I enjoyed what's happening here.
Speaker 1: This is cool. If I had time, I would like to see where this is going.
Speaker 2: At the same time, it's like, man, if they do did something completely new, I'm like, I would like to get in on the ground floor. That could be cool, or even like a new Zeno spin off. It starts fresh and maybe has some other ideas in there to kind of make it feel like it's something new.
Speaker 3: My one request, though, Monolith, if you're listening out there, take some lessons from Claire Obscure and it doesn't have to be an eighty hour game, yes, please.
Speaker 1: Like fine, just limit it.
Speaker 2: Just put a few governors on how it scales up a little bit.
Speaker 1: That would be nice to see.
Speaker 3: Because it's such a funny sentence of you saying, oh, yeah, I only played a little bit of it ten to twelve hours.
Speaker 1: That's right.
Speaker 4: That's a big chunk of a game.
Speaker 1: Yep. That should be like half of a big RPG around there.
Speaker 2: You know, at least a third. It was not of that game. It was nowhere near a third of that game, not even you know. The other side of this is, of course, that monolith Soft has been one of the technological backbones for Nintendo and It's games for the last you know, so long since Breath of the Wild. Really the Zeno Blade games would sort of build a testing bed, or not even a testing bed, a fully featured open world system, and then they would use that to help make the Breath of the Wild or help make Tears of the Kingdom, and monolith is deeply involved in that stuff, to the point where you could see like the commonality between the UI systems and in the two games, a lot of the sounds are the same things like that. So whatever this team ends up doing here, Nintendo is almost assuredly helping them higher up because they're like, hey, let's make it big, let's make it feel like it's worthy of the switch to and then let's take what you do there, or let's operate with in the back of our mind the fact that this is going to probably be used on the next Zelda game or maybe even some of our other games as well. So I think just kind of knowing that they have this TikTok pattern of let's make a Zeno game, then we're going to go help a Zelda, Let's go make a Zeno game, then we're going to go help with Zelda. The fact that they continue to build up both in parallel. It's exciting for this game and for whatever Zelda is is next. Anything in particularly in particularly you would want to see from like a big new open world RPG from a team like this, Like how open should it be? Should it be like Aaron Emech exploring every corner.
Speaker 3: Of the world or what h I personally grub I I love the gigantic parties like of six people that you get in Zeno Blake Chronicles three, so I wouldn't mind more of that.
Speaker 4: I don't know.
Speaker 3: I feel like my brain and JRPG brain has been poisoned by Claire Obscure, just because it feels so streamlined in a way but there is that room to kind of wiggle off the critical path, to go do whatever you want. I've always enjoyed the story stories with this game, so whatever they want to do with that and just exploring that more so, I wouldn't mind perhaps them bringing back Soma Bringer, which was a JRPG for the Nintendo DS that Monolith Monolith did.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I also I'm getting a little bit of we talked about this on the BombCast, a little bit tired of Ninja's getting a little bit tired of.
Speaker 2: Mes Yeah, and I kind of like peaked with Armored Course six and you're.
Speaker 4: Not that cool.
Speaker 1: I'm probably not going to be paying attention.
Speaker 4: Yeah. If they turn into tanks, that's a different story.
Speaker 2: Yes, Or if they turn into anthropomorphic Zords, then I'd be down.
Speaker 4: All right.
Speaker 1: Let's see here.
Speaker 2: Nintendo will stop selling switch game vouchers in twenty twenty six. This is from Austin Manchester at Polygon. Nintendo announced on Thursday that the company is sunsetting it's Nintendo Switch game vouchers offer early next year. Nintendo Switch Online members will have until January thirtieth, twenty twenty six, at midnight PST to take advantage of the offer. Vouchers are redeemable for up to a year after purchase. The game voucher program was a way to save money. It was basically one hundred dollars for two game vouchers, and then you could buy use those vouchers in exchange for a sixty dollars game, so you can get two sixty dollars games worth one hundred and twenty dollars plus tax, and and you could get that for around one hundred dollars plus tax, so you were saving money or you know, in the case of Tiers of the Kingdom it was seventy dollars, so you'd be saving even more money. And it was like, okay, yeah, I'm going to do this now for the switch too, they already said the game vouchers are not coming to switch to the game vouchers that you get on the switch one will and apply to switch two games, don't even try. So it was already kind of being put to the side. Now it's fully you know, going away, which it's a little bit weird, like what is the need for this, because you would think like as Switch to gets it starts to take over, those Switch one games would decrease in value. So a thing that's one hundred dollars for two games, well, you know, the Mario Kart eight is now thirty dollars, but of course it's Nintendo now and they're not lowering the prices, so that's probably not going to happen, and instead they have to actually get rid of this because they intend to kind of keep prices moving up.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 4: Yeah, anytime that.
Speaker 3: Us as the consumer and us as the audience gets such a the deal for acquiring games and then it eventually goes away. I just hear the Parks and rec character that Jenny Slate played John Ralfio's sister, and I just hear the publisher the company going money please.
Speaker 4: It's about right.
Speaker 3: So it sucks for us definitely, But I understand why nintend would want to do it, especially now that the prices for individual games are going up.
Speaker 2: Right, And this is a kind of thing where they will probably have some other deal to make people feel like they're making out at some point, but it might not look like this, or they'll reintroduce this for switch to at a higher price at some point, So they want to take a break, and maybe that's part of the plan here. I use the game vouchers pretty frequently, at least at least three times, but it might have been more than that, and that three times would have been six games because at a certain point, Nintendo steps in me games early.
Speaker 1: They would send me game codes like.
Speaker 2: Day of but I would be like, I want to get it the night before because it's available here at midnight, and you're not gonna send me a code then. So I ended up buying a lot of my Switch games this last generation. Likewise, I'm fine with that, no no complaints. But it was like using the game voucher was great. It's like, oh, I feel like I'm saving a little bit of money. This is good, and I'll have another voucher for when that next game comes and I don't have to think about it.
Speaker 1: It's just right there. So it was pretty handy. I liked it quite a bit.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I hope they come up with some solution to make it feel like I can save money here or there if i'm if I know, I'm gonna get a handful of games. In fact, I might pick up one more voucher because there's like maybe two Switch games that I like. I could still pick those up that I never got around to picking up in the first place.
Speaker 3: Yeah, folks, plan accordingly. I mean Donkey Kong Bonanza, right, that's coming out.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, but that won't won't work on the right.
Speaker 4: Which to switch to?
Speaker 1: Right, Okay, so you have to you'd have to look backward.
Speaker 2: So if like you want to go pick up Splittoon three and I don't know Mario in Luigi Brothership, which maybe don't but yeah, you could save money on that.
Speaker 4: M maybe well, Henti Golf won't take up the whole voucher.
Speaker 2: You know, Pokemon Za is on there, so there you go. Uh and Metric Prime four probably will work with.
Speaker 1: It as well. So there, so supposed switch one games.
Speaker 2: I guess I would double check out Tomadauci Life in Rhythm Heaven are coming out next year. Those are Switch one games, so yeah maybe Okay, the legend Cya is on.
Speaker 4: The list, all right, cool, so there we go.
Speaker 1: I will definitely pick up one more a pair of vouchers and go from there. All right.
Speaker 2: Nintendo reveals Japan's best selling Switch Shop titles for the first half of twenty twenty five. Just wanted to shout out this list really quick. Fantasy Life I is in the top two slots because it's got the Digital Deluxe Edition at number one and number two is the standard edition. Then Super Mario Party Jamboree, Tamagatchi Life or Tamagotchi Plaza.
Speaker 1: I mixed that up with Tomadaci Life.
Speaker 2: Minecraft at five, and then Urban Myth Disillusion Center. It's not like one of those like call in management games, like like you're dealing with phone calls and you have to Okay, well, I'm gonna look into that, and then Animal Crossing New Horizons, Seen a Blake Chronicles X Definitive Edition, Mario Kart eight Deluxe at nine, and Donkey Kong Country Returns HD at number ten. That Fantasy Life game is pretty big.
Speaker 1: I didn't. I guess I didn't realize.
Speaker 2: It was as huge as it as it was, and it's massive in Japan, but it seems to have a huge audience around the world.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 2: I like vaguely remember the Fantasy Life game coming out for was it DS or three DS or something like that, and I didn't it. It looked generic to me, so I didn't really get it. And now I've started playing Fantasy Life. I the girl who couldn't steal time or whatever. And I'm enjoying it. There's there's definitely something to it. It's just a job game. Going around doing those jobs has been fun.
Speaker 3: I wonder if this also like takes off the animal crossing or gosh, what's the farming game that everyone loves A Starduo Valley Stardoo Valley because I remember dragon Quest Builders and dragon Quest Builders two gaining a lot of traction and popularity. Because I feel like it the ven diagram was close enough to those to Stardo Valley that it captivated people's attention for like long stretches of time. Yeah, Urban Myth Dissolution Center grub.
Speaker 4: Looks fucked up.
Speaker 2: Okay, let's take a look at it. I'm gonna go find out what's going on over there. Yeah, and as Bander and chats pointing out, yeah, it seems like Fantasy Life. I is the secret switch to launch hit it was doing. I think it's available on Switch one, I believe. If not, I think it is, But if not, its definitely got a big pick pick up with switch to one way or the other. And yeah, it runs pretty well on there for a game that was running weird on Mike's fifty eighty.
Speaker 1: You see the other day. He was like, what is going on with this game? It should not be being choppy for me in these areas. I think it's just weird in some places, Greb.
Speaker 3: I know that we the Marino had published the top one hundred games of the quarter century. I need to go back through that list and see where Clubhouse Games ranked and if it didn't work at all, you.
Speaker 2: Know, when people can only list ten games, it's probably gonna be hard. But Clubhouse Games number eleven on the e Shop list. Game came out years ago. I love that game. Yeah, It's definitely one that like, if you do have a switch and you need like something at a party real quick to entertain people.
Speaker 1: I could seem like, let's just get this real quick on the e shop. Man. I love Clubhouse Games.
Speaker 4: All right.
Speaker 2: Still one more Nintendo news item here. Mia Moto views games as products, not works of art, says x Nintendo dev from Ali Reynolds and Nintendo Life, and the person who said this was like, and this is like a good thing for us. During Nintendo's the latest Sharehold Shareholder Q and a meeting, Shaguru Miyamoto stressed the importance for developers to work for the consumer, not your boss, en, sharing that teams can produce games that will satisfy players. Afterwards, X Nintendo developer taka Tokeya Imamura yah mus say takeya in Mamura added his own two cents to the conversation and stated that Miamoto has always viewed games as products, not works of art, and believes that his background studying industrial art helped shape his viewpoint. Mister Miyamoto studied industrial design at Art University, and he views games as products, not.
Speaker 1: Works of art.
Speaker 2: I think this perspective is what leads to game development that's more aligned with the user. And I think what he was trying to get there is like he views making games the same way and architect would view designing a building, which is like, this has got to be usable by humans.
Speaker 1: It has to be.
Speaker 2: The functionality is fundamentally more important than anything else about this.
Speaker 1: And then I will also add in.
Speaker 2: The pleasure, like the pleasure of like looking at it, the pleasure of viewing it, the pleasure of interacting with it.
Speaker 1: That's of course part of that.
Speaker 2: But I need to make sure that this is a product that humans can use first, and I don't necessarily think when it comes to the viewpoint of the creator that it matters all that much because it only really becomes art one way or the other. Anything only really becomes art when it's viewed by a person looking at it and they are moved by it. Right, So it's like, I don't know his viewpoint of how he feels when he's making it has nothing to do with how I consume it, right, and other than make it feel good to play, and that seems to be his focus.
Speaker 1: So this seems right to me.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I feel like the headline may be a little bit misleading and may lead folks to have different opinions on Meomoto, But I think in the way that you're breaking it down, Grub and equating it to like how an architect views a building, or even some an engineer building maybe a imagineer grub building out a Disney ride or a part of Disneyland or Disney Park. Wanting something to be super functional, super usable. The thing that I've always enjoyed about Miamoto, and people may buck against this, but I like that he views most of his video games as toys, like this is something for you to play with. And also it's not like he is looking at games as products to exploit the audience. He's working for the audience. He wants people to come back. He wants people to return and feel good using and playing a Mario game or whatever else Miamoto has like had his hand in or Nintendo as a whole.
Speaker 1: Yep. It's the kind of thing where.
Speaker 2: I think a toy is not something that most toy designers have looked at as works of art, and yet for me, like toys are art.
Speaker 1: Just like anything else.
Speaker 2: It's like, yes, this is a little bit of a something I interact with, I put something into and when I do that, I can feel it pushing back against me from the creator like trying to design, design it to work in a certain way, and whatever their motivations were kind of irrelevant to how I'm feeling in this moment. I really appreciate that games can sort of take that and run with it and let you do that on a level with like systems several orders of magnitude more complicated than what any toy can do in terms of modeling physics or modeling lighting systems and things like that, and letting you play around in that space.
Speaker 1: So Yep, this moves me. This is clearly just art.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean.
Speaker 3: The only video game art that I really have displayed anywhere is like a blown out GBA just because I got mine over there. It's great, I love it, but it is a product. It is a thing to use.
Speaker 4: But also the memories attributed to it have made it into.
Speaker 2: Art without a doubt. All right, let's get to these last couple of stories. In fact, they heard this the last story right here. Cyberpunk twenty seventy seven headlines July PlayStation Plus Games for PS five.
Speaker 1: This is from Jordan Miller at VGC.
Speaker 2: PlayStation is announced the games coming to PlayStation Plus in July, including Cyberpunk twenty seventy seven, which is going to be available yesterday, so you can go get that now, along with Abiotic Factor launching into the service on July twenty second.
Speaker 1: All other titles available to play on will be.
Speaker 2: Available to play on July fifteenth, which includes Twist to Medal three and four for PlayStation Plus Premium members as far as Extra and Premium members. You'll get all of these games, Cyberpunk twenty seventy seven, Abiotic Factor, Banisher's Ghost of New Eden, Bluey, The Video Game Planet, Zoo, Risk of Rain two, Oh, Tropico six, New World.
Speaker 1: A tournam Yeah, I'm not just gonna say it that way.
Speaker 2: And then the PlayStation plus premium members, the ones that get the classic games are getting twisted Medal three and four.
Speaker 1: All right, that does it for the headlines. Let's get to the poll question, which I have over here somewhere. Let me refresh this page. How many unplayed games do you own?
Speaker 2: On STA Their options were zero to nineteen, twenty to thirty nine, forty to fifty nine, and sixty or more, and fifty four percent have sixty or more unplayed Steam games. Now, a lot of that's going to be bundles, people being in like Humble Bundle and things like that, getting a ton of codes, adding them to their library, never touching those games.
Speaker 1: But still.
Speaker 2: That's a big number, and I think it's like shows like we probably could have gone up to like one hundred or more and easily probably still had quite a few people being like, yes, I have more than one hundred games that I've never played, and this is what makes the whole Steam ecosystem go round. Jan real quick U Twenty three percent said zero to nineteen, and that was the second most popular so there's some you know, extremes here. It's like, no, I'm not going to buy games and not play them. And then fourteen percent are between twenty and thirty nine, and eight percent are between forty and fifty nine. So the certain point you just become a real sicko in like against the Skyrocket exponentially.
Speaker 3: Wow, y'all a bunch of freaks out there. Go share your games or something. You're not going to play your twelve code that you've gone for hero Loop gives that to a friend, give it that to a neighbor. The comments here grub are are rebuking us for listing sixty as the max when people have over hundreds of hundreds.
Speaker 2: YouTube used to let you have more than just four options, and then the chances just four. If we could have just kept going, I would have just kept going. But clearly sixty was not a high enough number. That seems to be the case here, and then everyone's yelling that you saying they.
Speaker 1: Do share them.
Speaker 4: Good. I'm not talking about you all watching now. I'm talking about some of y'all voting in this poll.
Speaker 1: I am.
Speaker 2: I definitely buy buy games or collect games or gathering games in a situation like this, and I always think I'm going to play them.
Speaker 1: They're always just there.
Speaker 2: I'm like, yeah, I'll get to that eventually, and it's it's just been recently where I've started being like, you gotta stop kidding yourself, man, you gotta stop messing with yourself and actually believing this and nonsense, which is clearly a lie. All right, we'll get to a new pole question here in a second. Actually, you know what's do right now? That's not the new pole question, So we'll have to come up with one. Jan what do you want to do about Donkey Kong Bonanza? Or you know, what, do you want Monoliths Soft to make a new Zeno play game or something new. Let's do that and the poll question will go up and we'll get the results of that on Game mess Mornings here on Giant Bomb tomorrow. On Friday's show, speaking to Giant Bomb Jane, I think today we're gonna do the Janentucky Derby.
Speaker 1: Yes, we're gonna let those horse girls race.
Speaker 3: Yes, my dear friend Matt Shipman will be joining us. He's going to be racing along with us. I have yet to actually put any thought into how to how and what to do for this stream. I also need to figure out how to link my account with my Steam account. But we're we're gonna let those horses fly.
Speaker 2: Baby, I'm ready to see it for myself and get involved in the chant. Janentucky Derby, Well, voicemail, dumb truck. We'll have some other stuff going on.
Speaker 1: Let's see.
Speaker 2: Tomorrow we're gonna have UPF. We're doing Tony Hawk, right, that's the plan.
Speaker 3: Yes, we're we're gonna figure out a if we can reset goals and then b who can get to the cruise ship first?
Speaker 1: You got to like make a new like reset or account or whatever. We'll just have to do that. We'll go the hard way. We'll see.
Speaker 2: There's gotta be a way to do it though. Okay, that'll be you UPF tomorrow. This weekend we'll have a demo Derby, which we've already recorded going up, so be on the lookout for that.
Speaker 1: Other than that, am I forgetting anything? Jan anything else? We should mention?
Speaker 3: No, if you missed Monday Mornings missed with Mitch, please go check that out as well as Mega Man, where Mike played a little bit of Fantasy Life. I yeah, may get some more quick looks in the can if they pop up, but definitely look forward to Shenanigans next week with the release of Donkey Kong Bonanza, Yep.
Speaker 1: Looking forward to it. And then yes, there is the kitty cat right there.
Speaker 2: Everybody all right, Jana Cholla, thank you so much for hanging out with me today and talking about video games.
Speaker 1: Man, I really appreciate it.
Speaker 4: It's my favorite way to start a Thursday.
Speaker 2: Greb, thank you all for hanging out, for listening, for watching. You are the best audience in gaming. Until next time, have a good one, take care of yourself and goodbye.
Speaker 1: He'll be like a bea