Speaker 1: It's with Dan Ray. I'm telling you easy Boston.
Speaker 2: Two hours down, two hours to go. This is night Side. Dan is off. He'll be back Wednesday, the first of January twenty twenty five. And those of you who hear me fill in I'm busy, or hear me on my own show Saturdays, you all know I have the utmost respect for my next guest, and I teasingly refer to her as the Empress of entertainment. And she'll tell you when I call to line up for her to be on again. I use that phrase on her answer machine and she's I hear a giggling in the background.
Speaker 3: I am giggling. I've got I'm very flattered by that, Moniker Morgan, and it's so I'm so happy to be here the day after Christmas. I'm exhausted.
Speaker 2: I'm trying to get people to call you that, any business people, friends, I'm trying to get everybody.
Speaker 3: Everybody called me that I insist that they do.
Speaker 2: Oh good. I'm a happy, happy, joy joy camper. So let's talk about this December. I cannot remember a year would there have been so many Christmas movies? First week, second week, third week of December Christmas that had their debut, right.
Speaker 3: Yeah, maybe, I don't know. I feel like it's been all sort of dragged out through the fall and all sort of bunched up in the last month or so, and a lot of movies that still have not opened, which are you know, big movies, and movies that opened earlier got a lot of buzz earlier. I feel like it's been kind of spread out, so right, So there you go. But it's a very it's a very strange season. A lot of really good movies, but not a lot of sort of blockbusters that everybody was dying to see in a sense, you know, maybe Wicked. Let's say Wicked, and they have.
Speaker 2: Made their money with that movie. Oh good grief have they?
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, it's Wicked and Mowana, who have just been really gangbusters at the box office. Pretty incredible.
Speaker 2: I have one question when you say Mawana makes me think of Disney. When I think of Disney, I think of The Lion King.
Speaker 3: I think of the Rock.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, I'm so glad you have an image of him, But the prequel to The Lion King. We all know that we lost James Earl Jones this year, but we also know that movies get made five ten a year before they get relieved. Could he reprise his voice as Mufasa grew up?
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 3: It's Aaron Pierre is the guy who voices Mufasa in the twenty twenty four film Mufasa the Lion King. So he's replacing James Earl Jones, and that was made. I think that decision was made pretty early in the development of the film, and that was really a long time before James Earl Jones passed away, and the film is a prequel. So he sounds like a slightly younger version of the Lion King of Mufasa, which is appropriate, I mean, because who could really replicate James Earl Jones's deep basso, you know, baritone voice.
Speaker 2: James Earl Jones could do it. And if he was still alive when they were putting this whole movie together, I don't know why they didn't pick him to be Mufasa again.
Speaker 3: You know, who knows why that decision was made and what you know, how willing he was to take on that part. Maybe he was unable to handle that part. I don't know at that point. You know what kind of shape he was in. I don't know, but I know the decision was made earlier, and maybe they just decided they wanted a younger voice and that's how they did it. I don't know. That's all I can tell you. But it's an actor named Aaron Pierre.
Speaker 2: That's what Disney does. And by the way, this is a trivia fact for you, Okay, the only how can I say this production? Will you heard James Earl Jones say Luke, I'm your father.
Speaker 3: You know they should have called you Morgan, they should have called you my god. When you just said that, I'm thinking, Yeah, do you do a lot of voice work, I mean, beyond what you do on the radio. So brilliant I have, I.
Speaker 2: Have, But no one called. My phone didn't ring. But what was the only I'll just say thing for lack of anything else, and I'll tell you it was a TV show. Because he never said that in the movies, the Star Wars movies. He never said exact said that exact line. But a lot of people say that as if he did. It's like Kerry Grant never said Judy, Judy, Judy. Yeah, there are so many of those that became well, it's and.
Speaker 3: That Casa Blanc Alne. Play it Sam, you know, play it against Sam. That was never said exactly that way. If she can stand it, so can I, you know, play that whatever it was.
Speaker 2: I just watched Castle Blanca this week. HBO is showing it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, oh yeah, And I watched.
Speaker 2: It again for the eighty millionth time because I love that movie.
Speaker 3: There are some movies you just never get tired of watching over and over again, never never. I always love rewatching A Few Good Men with Tom Cruise, Jack Nicholson de me Moore that what's that movie? And I love that final courtroom scene where you know, Cruise and Nicholson go toe to toe head to head in that line even imitates Nicholson in that film, So it's it's pretty funny in that line.
Speaker 2: You can't handle the truth. But I have to answer my question. James O. Jones made an appearance on The Big Bang Theory. Okay, that's that's when he said, because the plot Alan John Cryer's character was going to hire James Earl Jones to do his voicemail, and James Earl joneson what do you want? Do you want lukom your father or what? But he just him saying that sent chills.
Speaker 3: That my spine, I know, just one of those voices. And if you know anything about James Earld Jones, then we read a lot about him in his obituaries after he passed away. But this is sort of interesting lore about him anyway, that he was a stutterer and very shy about his stutter when he was a child and had to really overcome that in his voice. His beautiful voice ended up being his signature, and it's a pretty amazing thing. But it's the slowness, the deliberateness of that voice.
Speaker 2: I fell in love with him as an actor. The big screen did him the most justice in The.
Speaker 4: Great White Hope, sure, yep.
Speaker 2: And Jane Alexander is his co star, and the whole history of knowing about Jack Johnson, there was just something that captivated me and obviously a lot of other filmgoers.
Speaker 3: But he just nineteen sixty nine, that goes way.
Speaker 2: Back, yep. And he brought such dignity to.
Speaker 3: That role exactly well that you know you said it, I mean, that is a great word to use in describing James ol Jones. He just had a certain kind of substantive dignity no matter you know, the classics saying he could read the phone book and make it sound like Shakespeare. He just had a certain kind of bearing and it was all channeled really through the voice and his carriage, that quiet, quiet dignity and power and strength that he conveyed. So yeah, perfect perfect role for him and really made his mark.
Speaker 2: Let me take a break. People, if you're listening now, and if you have a question about a movie you've seen the past two or three weeks, one of the Christmas releases, maybe Joyce has seen it. Maybe she'll be able to give you an opinion about it, whether she has seen it or just knows about it. Phone number six one, seven, two, five, four, ten thirty or eight eight, eight, nine to nine, ten thirty. My guest Joyce Skoll Haywick, and I affectionately call her the Empress of Entertainment. You can call her Joyce, so use my name whichever you prefer. Time and temperature here on night Side ten point fifteen thirty one degrees.
Speaker 5: If you only knew the power.
Speaker 2: Of the night Side.
Speaker 1: Now back to Dan Ray live from the Window World Life Sights two years on WBZ News Radio.
Speaker 2: Okay, this is night Side. My name Morgan White Junior and if you've seen any film released over the past, I'll say three four weeks pretty much December, tail end of November. Maybe, just maybe Joyce can give you a comment or two about those films. First caller tonight for Joyce is from Maine. Allison, you've got Joyce skill? Heywick?
Speaker 6: Oh hello, Hi, I guess yeah. Well I just found a Trato yesterday and I liked it. But I didn't like I don't know. I still think that the Cloudskinskiver and Hurtzug version from forty years ago is to be Oh.
Speaker 3: Yeah, no, I'm going way back. If you've ever seen the silent version, oh.
Speaker 6: Sure, yeah, yeah yeah. But I'm not I'm not a super just kind of a blond spot for you kind of. I never I'm not a supercent of silent film. So I don't know why very few, just a Phantom and a couple other ones. But I just I liked it. I just love the way the Aggers recreates the era that he's just an expert at that when he does his film. All of these films are set in the past. I and beautiful costumes and good cast and everything, and I like the other snow, I always like when they add snowed to movies for no particular reason, but it added something to it.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, I have not seen h for us. It's on my list to see what. I will tell you that critics are loving this film. It's getting fabulous reviews. It's got an amazing cast. Willem Dafoe, builds stars, guard Lily Rose, depth and fabulous, fabulous cast, extremely well made apparently, and looks really scary. I don't watch a lot of really, you know, sort of horror movies, but I do like gothic horror movies. I mean, I'm a big Dracula fan, and I do like anything set in Transylvania.
Speaker 6: I didn't a sort of.
Speaker 3: Like the vampire the vampire genre.
Speaker 6: Don't give me too much. I didn't like the way they redesigned thout. Do you like to say that? I just I don't like the way they redesigned because look and everything right. Did you ever see the film Crimson Peak, Del Toro's film from about ten years ago? Because I just love that film anyway. That's a very gothic film that the girl Gilma to Tour made about ten years ago.
Speaker 3: No, I have not seen it.
Speaker 6: Oh, Tom Hit'llston, Miawasakowska, and I can't remember who the third one was Jessica Testing. Yeah. Anyway, Otherwise, I think it's been a pretty week year for movies. I have to admit, I don't know why I haven't seen that much. I really loved, I wanted, I really wanted to love.
Speaker 3: The new See a complete Unknown to Dylan biopic.
Speaker 6: One of the few who isn't Are you.
Speaker 3: A Timothy Shalla may fan?
Speaker 6: I haven't liked much he was. I guess maybe calling he's got your name, maybe me.
Speaker 3: Buy your name pretty pretty much put him on the map, and he this is maybe the best thing he's ever done. So I would really recommend this. I would also predict he's gonna walk away with at least an Oscar nomination for his role here. Like Dylan, it's pretty remarkable.
Speaker 6: What he does didn't get wide released. But somebody I really love named you know, here's sarmonin and she just.
Speaker 3: The Outrun and also the Glits.
Speaker 6: Yeah yeah, and Outrun was very good. It had some problems. Again, and you know, I've seen so many movies it's hard for me not to be hypercritical about things.
Speaker 3: But she's pretty extraordinary. No matter what she does, and she was great in both of those. But my favorite film that she's ever done to date Brooklyn. Do you remember Brooklyn?
Speaker 6: I've never seen it.
Speaker 3: Oh my gosh, that's a film I could watch over and over again. In fact, it was just on a couple of weeks ago, and my husband feels the same way. We can start that movie at any point and just can't tear ourselves away from it. It's touching, it's funny, it's about a it's about an Irish immigrant girl who comes over and tries to start a new life in Brooklyn. It's all of her experiences here and a relationship that she forms and her connection with the old country and with her her new group of friends that she's making in the United States. But her performance is just so moving.
Speaker 6: Oh sorry, But the outrun is he sees a girl from the far north of Scotland, the Orkney Islands. I've actually been, and and then she goes to London for time and gets some kind of into bad shaps and she's an alcoholic and and I thought there. She filmed it in the Orkneys, most of it, and it was so beautiful. So she did beautiful. But the stuff in London just rank phony to me. It just seems funny. I just wanted to get back to the island. And yeah, did you ever see films? Did it years ago? Called several years ago called Ammonite with Kate Winslet, because it's exactly brilliant I did.
Speaker 3: She was extraordinary in that, as was Winslet. And I'm not necessarily a Kate Winslet fan, but yeah, that was a terrific film. I love that. Well, So you see a lot of movies, did you see?
Speaker 6: I don't see a lot of the mainstream stuff, to be honest, But then I.
Speaker 3: Did you see Emilia Perez?
Speaker 6: No, I'm looking forward to that hasn't coming here yet. Is that out?
Speaker 3: Is that phenomena? It's on it's streaming and I don't know which platform it's actually streaming, and it is. It's like four movies in one. It's Selina Gomez, Zoey Sell, Dona Carla Sophia Guescon, a very well known Mexican actress Adriana Pauz, and this ensemble cast won the Best Actress award at the con Film Festival this past year.
Speaker 6: Get up here because I don't use computers, but I'm also wanting to Well, you've.
Speaker 3: Got it and it's a nominated for the Pomp Dworm, But you've got to see that if there's any way you can see that movie. And it's a musical on top of being a thriller, and it's about domestic violence, and it's also about social justice, and it's about identity and and it's a musical.
Speaker 6: That's get together. We start rabbiting over running over each other for that film. But yeah, so I want to see The Room next Door to with To Swinton and Julianne Moore, you know right. Yeah, it is an Alma Dovar film, you know right, So I'm coming out very soon too. So maybe have you seen that one yet?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 3: It's okay, no, not yet, but I have seen a Noora. Have you seen Anora?
Speaker 6: I partner loves the Noura, But I know, sorry, I just I didn't like the characters. I just thought, you know, oh really, oh my.
Speaker 3: Gosh, Okay, well it's really I mean that Mikey Madison is extraordinary. She plays a Brooklyn sex worker who marries the son of a Russian oligarch and the family finds out descends on the couple to have the marriage at all, and it's like one big, long frantic chase scene in a way. But it's also it's a pretty satiric commentary on the transactional nature of the culture these days and how it is very corrosive to your to your soul, if you will, honey, and poignant and really wild and amazing. So I would recommend that film.
Speaker 6: I didn't want to hear.
Speaker 2: I let you go, and thank you for covering a lot with Joyce.
Speaker 3: Thank you, Thank you for calling. Always very interesting to talk with you.
Speaker 2: Bye bye, and I've got news in about two minutes. This is an offshoot subject the Golden Globes. They're they're having their hoopla on Sunday or the Sunday afternoon, I forget which. What's your opinion of Nicky Glazer.
Speaker 3: I have no idea who she is, what she does. Apparently she's a comedian and maybe she's been on television. I have no idea. And of course she makes fun of the fact that nobody knows who she is, so therefore she's free to say anything she wants. Hey, she may be terrific, who knows. I always go in open to these things. But she wouldn't pull me in, let's put it that way. But I'm going to watch the Golden Globes no matter what.
Speaker 2: And I'm just curious only because she has done two stand ups on HBO. She ges PG thirteen to R.
Speaker 3: R rated that's about right, maybe even.
Speaker 2: A smidge and beyond are And she did the Tom bab Brady Roast. She was one of the major personalities.
Speaker 3: There, which by all accounts was horrible. Yeah yeah roast.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Now, and now she's doing the Golden Globes. I don't know who her agent happens to be, but they're earning their living.
Speaker 3: You're not kidding. They got her on the Globes. But so we'll see what happens. But I'm going to watch, and yeah, I'm looking forward to it.
Speaker 7: All right.
Speaker 2: Maybe I'll call you at home afterwards, just to give my not without a microphone listening in. So people, Joyce is only going to be here to the top of the hour. You want to call six one, seven, two, five, four ten thirty, You want to call eight eight, eight, nine to nine, ten thirty. I encourage you to do so. This is night Side. I'm more gonna get to fill in periodically when Dan steps away from the microphone and I'm here tomorrow and real quick tomorrow. You've heard me mention her name many a time. Carimbou SEMMI will be here, Bradley Jay will be here. My buddy, Lieutenant Pruce Apothecar who was the head of the police in the city of Newton he retired, and tofa Ellis will be here and we're going to talk about breakfast cereal. Those are my guests tomorrow night. I'll be here Monday and Tuesday and my own shoe on Saturday. Now that I've told you all of that, I'll tell you this time and temperature here on night Side ten twenty nine thirty one flavors degrees.
Speaker 1: Here on night Side called Dan Ray on WBZ Boston's news radio.
Speaker 2: Nightside without Dan Ray periodically means me, I'm walking white Junior. I get to fill in for Dan. He will be back next year, which is next Wednesday, the first of January twenty twenty five. I've got Joyce Cole Hawick on with me, and Joyce, do you miss being on the anchor desk of Channel four?
Speaker 3: Well, I miss the audience. I missed the platform, which really just doesn't even exist anymore for arts and entertainment coverage. But I do not miss those hair raising deadlines, which were crazy. I would be in the theater as late it is ten fifteen or ten thirty and then have to race back to the station to be on at eleven twenty four every single night, weekday night, and it was really scary. In that time. I'd have to write and edit and get on my lipstick and run down the hall and sit in that seat and hope that Bob Lobell left me enough time at the end of sports to get out my two minutes about whatever I'd just seen hot off the presses and had it been able to digest. So it was really intense and I do not miss that did that for almost thirty years. It was a long time, and now I take my time. I have time to actually think about things, and I have a longer, longer platform on which to express myself. That would be Joyce's Choices dot Com, my website. So sign up. I still review movies in theater and whenever I post, it'll pop into your email if you sign up for my site.
Speaker 6: So there you go.
Speaker 2: And I've got a silly question. I remember the PA I remember the promo you did where you must have put on a dozen or two dozen hats, right to indicate all the aspects of your.
Speaker 3: Job as exactly. I'll never forget. It's the site of the spot when something like I have more in my mind than just movies. There's theater and dance and music and the visual arts and museums and all kinds of stuff. So that was the idea, is that we reported on all of the arts. And before that, no one had ever done that in a regular way every single night as part of a news team. So instead of just being news, sports and weather, it was news, sports, weather, and arts and entertainment. And believe it or not, we paved the way for that, and soon everybody in Boston had an arts and entertainment report, and that became a very very popular beat, and it was so unusual that The New York Times wrote an editorial on our entire public service campaign, you got to Have Arts, which was really amazing and did an awful one, I think for the arts community in Boston, And I mean, it's a culture rich city, so why wouldn't we have that as a regular beat. But as soon as TV started to fall apart, they got rid of what they thought were you know, the frills are the things that weren't necessary, and the arts are always the first to go, and they went not. I mean, we have world class everything in Boston, music, theater, dance, museums, movies being made in our streets. I mean, it's pretty extraordinary that in Boston, in the Northeast, that we don't have a regular coverage of the arts and culture in this town, which is important for people to know about. I mean, it shows some of the extraordinary things human beings are capable of, not just the grasped corruption, horrible crimes, and you know, we do wonderful, amazing things and people need to see that about themselves and understand what's right around us. I mean, I think a lot of people don't know what's going on in Boston and it's all happening right here.
Speaker 2: We should bring that back. But here's my question about that promo. Was that filmed where they kept handing you hats or was that the magic of TV?
Speaker 3: No, I'll tell you there wasn't that much magic at that time. We didn't have those special effects. There wasn't ai to do that. I will never forget shooting that promo. They had to strap me into a chair and fix get me in a certain position where I couldn't move my head or my face except to say each line. I couldn't move my neck or turn my head. They would then switch out the hat and I'd say the next line, the next line, the next line, the next line. It took us hours to shoot that, and I was literally fixed to the chair I was strapped in and they had my head and neck immobilized. It was it was impossible.
Speaker 2: The glamor of television. Oh yeah, right, glamor.
Speaker 3: But it became one of the most memorable things and people still ask me about that spot and I'll never forget. It was the first and I wore a red sequined I don't know, jumpsuit or something like that.
Speaker 2: But I've recalled it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it was very hard to shoot.
Speaker 2: Let me ask this question about you mentioned movies filmed in Boston. What was your fate? Now, it could be during your thirty years, or it could be before your thirty years or post you thirty years, but what was your favorite movie filmed in Boston?
Speaker 3: Honestly, my very favorite film, and it's one of these films that I can watch all the time, and it has very special meaning for me, goodwill hunting without I wish.
Speaker 2: I had turned to Nancy and mouthed those words.
Speaker 3: So yeah, it's absolutely without a doubt, the phenomenal script, extremely well acted by Ben Affleck and Matt Damon who wrote it and shopped this thing around and got assembled a cast that included Robin Williams. I mean it was and Casey Affleck, you know, the whole crew was there but Minnie Driver, right, and then then Matt and Minnie went out for a while and then that blew up. But it was shot in so many memorable places. I mean in Southey and in the public garden. I'll never forget that conversation Harvard Square right, Oh, them sitting at the Tasty I think it was, you know, having a having a burger, yeah, and then him walking into that bar and having that Harvard guy try to make him look try to make Ben look stupid, and Matt came to his rescue and then ran circles around this guy, uh and then said, hey, I got number. How do you like them apples?
Speaker 1: Now?
Speaker 3: It was it was a very it was an excellent film. And then of course they walked off with an oscar for it. And I was at the Oscars that year, covered that ceremony, covered them on the red carpet, covered them in the winner's room afterward.
Speaker 2: They were kids, they were happy, Yes, they were.
Speaker 3: Ecstatic, and and they really sort of emblazoned themselves on the memories of everybody who always thinks of them together. And they remain obviously very close, lifelong friends. And that night you could just see the you know, the camaraderie and the brotherhood, if you will. But that stayed true all these years. I remember being in that room with all the press corps. There were hundreds of us in that room as all the people who won were coming backstage, and there's always somebody who runs the Q and A backstage, and I went up to the woman and I said, listen, I'm from Boston. I know these two. Can I ask the first question in the room? And she said sure. So I was in the back. I stood up and they walk in. I raised my hand and I said, Matt Ben and they look out and they say, hey, Joyce said, they lift up their oscars. It was great, And of course we took that and we used it as a promo for the next you know, twenty years Ontel. It was so great, but Goodwill Hunting for all kinds of reasons. It's an excellent film, and it really put them on the map. And it's so Boston.
Speaker 2: What did you think?
Speaker 4: Now?
Speaker 2: The movie that started Boston being like a separate actor was the movie with Steph mcqueens Fade Down Away Paul Burk, The Thomas Crown.
Speaker 3: Thomas Crown Affair exactly. I was thinking about that and also the remake of The Thomas Crown Affair.
Speaker 2: I want to talk about that one because no, we don't want.
Speaker 3: To know about that, but I mean, it's such a good film and it really worked. I think in both ways it worked. The first one worked and the the the remake work.
Speaker 2: Remake work, Yes, it did. And you were I'm guessing because I know you were a teacher Brookline High. And that was even before you became a teacher, wasn't it.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, because I started teaching in nineteen seventy six. I think it was my movie seventy six. That movie was sixty yeah, sixty eight exactly. But there's some I mean that departed what ant That's such a good film set in Boston and about Boston again, Matt Damon and Mark Wahlberg, and it's just so many Boston people in that film. So Alec Baldwin is in that, not that he's Boston, but had just an amazing cast and Martin Grip pardon me, Martin Sheen, Martin Sheen, yeah, oh, Martin Sheen. Yeah, that's seen with Martin Sheen. But another really remarkable Boston film. I wish, though, they would start making films about Boston that weren't always so down and dirty, do you know what I mean? I mean, the Affair was sort of different, but I mean, it isn't like we're all gangsters criminals.
Speaker 2: In Iowa. If you live in ioland in Arizona, you think Boston. Yeah, you might think some of the sports teams, you know, Brady, but.
Speaker 3: I think rough and tumble, honest, a little bit crude, suglike. I mean, yeah, okay, that's an aspect of the city. I'm going to tell you this again.
Speaker 2: You and I are going to be the executive producers of a movie yet to be titled, yet to be even put into screenplay form. Do you need to do that? When I hit the big game tomorrow. I've already told Jordan I'm going to use him as the star when we remake Spencer. So I know what I want to do, and I know what I want to do with you. Yes, I know what I want to do with Heck, I have a concept. So let me take my break, invite maybe one, possibly two phone calls with the time you and I half left here on night Side six one, seven, two, five, four, ten, thirty eight, eight, eight, nine, two, nine, ten thirty time and temperature ten forty five thirty one degrees.
Speaker 1: Now back to Dan ray Mine from the Window World night Sight Studios on WBZ News Radio.
Speaker 2: We only took two calls in the majority of this hour, and now we have two more to take. John and Marblehead. You're next with Joyce Kleeywick.
Speaker 4: Hey, how a ya, We're five?
Speaker 2: What's up?
Speaker 3: Hi?
Speaker 5: Nothing? Just just hi, Joyce, how are you nothing. I've just been listening to the show and I kind of never call, but I figured i'd call in because it's a good topic, a good topic. The entertainment world or the arcs are a great thing. And U I'm a movie guy. I'm a theater guy, musicals mostly, but theater guy. And uh yeah, and I just one of the things that I realized today. Like with the movies. You know, people like Joyce and they do movie reviews. Back when I was a kid, you don't like things are playing at the movies. I don't know what they are, like nobody. They don't advertise or they don't advertise the way I follow them, So I never know what anything is. You know, it's just kind of it's changed. It's changed a lot, so it's a little strange for me.
Speaker 3: That's interesting. And you don't find that you see ads for movies on the air. I felt like I was seeing tons of ads for Wicked and a complete and known for example, or are you watching TV?
Speaker 5: No, I watched TV all the time, but yeah, you know, yeah Wicked, they've been on for six months. Yeah they have the buds right right. But the average thing playing it's TV commercials is not where you find it that I run into that I run into, you know, right, unless it's something like that. Unless it's something like that. What did you think of Wicked in.
Speaker 4: The thing in.
Speaker 3: The you mean the movie Wicked or the or the play the movie the movie? I thought the movie was terrific, And I have to say I dreaded. I dreaded going to see it because number one, I really love the play and I love the music, and I thought, oh, this is gonna be too long. It's only part one and it's like two and a half hours long, and it's only the first half. And I thought it's going to be all blown up, it's gonna be two it's gonna just collapse under the weight of the big screen Hollywood treatment. And I went and I was so pleasantly surprised. It is really terrific. It's almost got too much of everything in every scene. But these two performances Ariana Grande as the good Witch and Alphaba Cynthia Arivo as the wicked Rich of the West, and the backstory about those two, they are such phenomenal performances. Ariana Grande is so funny. I mean, we know they can and both sing, and boy can they sing. I mean like multi octave, powerful voices and easy. And they sang live to camera. It wasn't like they taped it in the recording booth and then they lipsied it later. No, they sang it live. So the film had a real, almost like a theatrical energy to it, because what you saw was what was really happening as they shot it, So I thought it was. I just thought it was a terrific film. Did you like it as well?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 5: I saw it in New York years ago with my daughter and loved it. And I knew nothing about it when I saw it. Yeah, and then I and I decided to see it in imax, which might have helped. But I was, Yeah, I was blown away by how good it was. I was blown away by how good it was. And you know, like you say, the two characters, what I tell people that haven't seen it if they're going to go. I really think that the Glinda character kind of steals the show because she's just so so fun and obnoxious, and you know, thinks's Karen. I think she's the most caring person in the world, and she really isn't, but coactly, And sometimes when you see something on stage it's very funny, and then when you see the movie version, those funny lines just get rolled over you don't recognize how funny they are, you know.
Speaker 2: What I mean?
Speaker 5: Exactly, so exactly, they did a good job at that. She Arianna Grandi was unbelievable. They were both unbelievable, So I love it.
Speaker 3: They're both extraordinary. And you know, the Cynthia Rivo of the Wicked Witch of the West character, her problem is she's green, you know, and we all understand the overtones there. I mean, her skin color makes her feel like I feel othered, if you will, just she's excluded. She looks strange, and as you say, the Glinda character makes a big show of coming to her rescue to show how good she is. But in fact, you know, what's touching about the show is that there is a real relationship that develops, and they really do love each other. And a Revo's character has a has a kind of seriousness and and wait, that is a great counterpoint to how what a flibmity Gibbet Glinda is initially. So they're just terrific.
Speaker 2: I loved it, John, I got to let you know, I got two more people.
Speaker 4: To get on.
Speaker 5: Yeah, but thank you for having me on. I appreciate it. Thank you, care talk you.
Speaker 2: John, Bill Winnaker, you're going to score the movie that Joyce and I are going to produce. Biller, Hi, Bill, how are you?
Speaker 4: Oh great? Great? You know, we had we had a pleasure seeing Joyce in twenty twenty four we worked an event together. But yeah, but the main thing, my main point is some people when they get the globe of their herald, they grab the sports page first. That's that's what they were. Even Dan Ray says the first thing he reads is the sports page. But I would wait through the news, the Tannel four news, and couldn't wait to get the Joyce's uh Last and entertainment report every night.
Speaker 3: You know, Thank you, Bill, that's lovely.
Speaker 2: You know the.
Speaker 4: Stations covered it too, but you were the dean, you were the best.
Speaker 3: It's the first one. I was the first one, and then everyone jumped on the bandwagon, and I was so glad they did the arts in art town. Need it as you know, musician extraordinaire. And you're still at it, you know.
Speaker 4: Still and you're still at it.
Speaker 2: Channel seven and Channel five they made a good effort. But you had it, you had it locked down. You had it locked down.
Speaker 4: Joy like the Tom Brady you know, superstar and what you do.
Speaker 2: She was the goat of all time.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and you have a gift of you know, it's just you ooz with love and joy and spirit and personality.
Speaker 6: Thank you.
Speaker 3: I love this beat. I just love it, and I think people should only do the things they love. What a great world it would be, right, imagine if you had a waiter who really loved being a waiter, a gardener who loved being a gardener, I mean, a musician who loves to be a musician. Of course, you wouldn't be one if you if you didn't love it, because there's no money in that. But uh, you gotta love what you do and then that always comes shining through, and you usually can do that better than anybody else.
Speaker 2: Bill, you go to get one more on.
Speaker 4: Okay, sorry with you, Bill, Thank you for your all.
Speaker 2: John and Ohio, John and Ohio. You wait to the very end of the show to call in. John, I'll give you a minute and a half. I'll give you a minute and a half with Joyce.
Speaker 4: Call Heywick, I'm really like that.
Speaker 7: You mentioned of Howard Zinn's People's History of the United States and Noam Chomsky CIA Operation Mockingbird Controls Controls the Media, two sources that are almost unthinkable in this age of thousand close right wing radio stations trying to ruify anything that doesn't perform to the hagiography of the official version of US history.
Speaker 6: Exactly.
Speaker 3: Really, he's a fixture in the Boston area. I knew Howard and his lovely wife, and he just was such a champ in so many ways. I mean, he told it like it was, and he was fiery till the very end, really and truly.
Speaker 7: Yes, it took me. Okay, that's enough, but that's I really appreciated Matt damon bringing that up and plugging those two sources with that movie.
Speaker 3: Yeah, exactly. I'm so glad you mentioned that. Thanks for the call.
Speaker 2: Thanks John taking here, and Joyce, you make sure that your husband starts calling you empress.
Speaker 3: Oh I started that years ago, when I started it done.
Speaker 2: I'm applauding that, Joyce, you and I are going to talk, maybe as soon as Monday, because I'll know then how much I'm getting.
Speaker 3: And exactly, let's get this deal going. Hey, Happy new year, Morgan, Thank you so much for having me, and greetings to everybody out there listening.
Speaker 2: Happy to you too, Joyce. Cool, Heywick, there you go, all right. Time ten fifty eight temperature thirty one degrees