Speaker 1: Right. Well, look, we're back at the game Fair again on Saturday, and we're once again in the heat trap that is the back of the GWCT stand. And I'm very pleased to say that joining me now is a good pal of mine, Jamie Blackett, who has just started a new organization called Grand Cry. Now, Jamie, can you tell me a little bit about yourself and then why Grand Cry Well?
Speaker 2: Richard, Yeah, thanks for having me here. And I farm in Dumfrieshe Peninsula sticking out into the Solway first, which is for those who know it is bird central. Really every curl you in Europe probably knows. Our foreshore passes through it on the migrations, as do the gee and we're blessed with a really good biodiversity, really lots of different birds, and that's important to me as a farmer. I'm a dairy farmer primarily, and the frustration for me is that over the last twenty five years I've done lots of conservation measures and most of them seem to work. Really, you plant a hedge, as you know, and I'm now actually at the stage of laying the hedges, and you know, you get yellow hammers and all the finches and whatever. You put up a length of dry stone wall, you get more wrens and wagtails and whatever. And you put up an owl box and you get a bar now who eats the mice coming out of the dry stone wall and the voles coming out of the hedge and whatever. But where I'm very conscious we are failing is with our ground nesting birds. I just can't seem to to get it to work. You know. We we dig wader scrapes and the laprins come along and they start to try to nest, and then something happens and then it's all a disaster. We put in, you know, meadows that attract the larks, and you know, we've had a little bit of success, but really it should be the lark song should be deafening really in the spring, instead of a little one here and there. And we all know the reasons for that. What I call the elephants in the room, the predators that we're not allowed to deal with, the huge spike in Beso predators that's just getting worse. The badgers, the goals, the problems with disturbance, and that we have right to roame in Scotland, and you know, I have no difficulty with that. I grew up there, and you know that, I'm actually quite proud that we've never had this sort of law of trest in Scotland. They have sides of the border, but it's got much harder to actually channel people where you want them to go away from ground nesting birds. People have got really sort of arcy about it now, and the law doesn't allow you to put up signs saying, you know, crowndnesting birds please go that way. People make a point of ignoring them. They throw the signs into the ditches and whatever, and it's just getting harder. And I thought, right, you know, there's no point in approaching the RSPB because they they're not interested in all this sort of stuff, and there doesn't seem to be you know, the gw CT. We're behind the fantastic organization, but they're there to do research. They're not there to change public opinion or lobby politicians. So I thought, right, well, we will start an organization a campaign. Really, I mean it's a campaign. I don't really I don't really want to become an organization that that just exists in order to exist and sells Christmas cards and calendars and whatever. I'm not appointing any fingers, but we all know what I'm talking about. I want to I want to have a campaign. The response has been fantastic. We're going to have a panel of advisors with a wealth of experience, people like Colin strang Steel, former chairman of Songbird Survival, in Colkill, former chairman of GWCT. And we're going to get lots of heavyweight communicators who are going to be our ambassadors. And that's been a fantastic response. And I'm going to wait for them. We're going to dribble them out. They're going to announce themselves, but there are going to be some real heavyweight communicators who are going to do the missionary work. And you know, I just realized that nothing's going to change unless public opinion changes.
Speaker 1: And that public opinion, Jamie is the found that people are squeamish about prejudice control.
Speaker 2: I think there is that, and I I think, you know, I mean take badges. I mean it's become very politicized. I mean if one of these celebrity environmentalists fell over and bumped his head and woke up with complete amnesia, with his whole memory wiped and looked at things completely objectively with fresh eyes, he would probably conclude that we need to do something about the badges. But as it is, they won't do that because of the you know, all the culture wars and what psychologists call reinforcing behavior, and once people have sort of nailed their colors to a particular mass, it's very difficult for them to change their opinion. And so, you know, we've got a whole generation of young people who have grown up listening to certain opinion formers, and they would find it very difficult to countenance reducing the density of badgers from what is it ten per square kilometer or something down to the average in a normally functioning ecosystem with apex predators like wolves and bears, of about zero point one badger per hector. And it wouldn't necessarily need to do it by lethal methods. I mean, you know, they're talking about catching up lots of badgers and vaccinating them with his TV vaccine, aren't they Well, why don't they just sterilize them at the same time. It's a perfectly simple veterinary procedure happens in veterinary practices and on farms. The whole time, thousands of times a day. You know, if you just spade all of the badger sids that you're able to catch up or whatever, or maybe use gene therapy. You know, the technology now exists to inject a badger with a gene that will mean that they only have offspring of either one sex or the other forevermore or not forevermore. You can actually it's so clever. You can do it for two or three generations. So you'd suppress a population.
Speaker 1: That way, okay, because that's what you're after is suppression, I take it. I mean, you know you're a dairy farmer, so you've also got that specter of TB over you.
Speaker 2: Well, it's terrifying, yeah, I mean, I mean, Scotland is in theory TB three, but there is the occasional herd breakdown when some idiot buys in some cattle from a TB hotspot and it as a sort of flare up. But they've always been able to contain it. But there are so many badges now that if it did get loose, it would be very very hard to Yeah.
Speaker 1: Have you have you noticed on your own farm that increase in badger numbers because I have to say, I noticed when I'm doing headero management plans, is the sheer number of sets now I'm seeing because we return to the same place year after year after year, and we can see that in Suffolk and there you are on the far other end of the country and you're seeing that. So you've seen that yourself, that there has become an unsustainable population.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think there is. And I think that helped by the fact that the fox population since we stopped hunting, is pretty much extirpated in our part of the world because of the you know, the technology of the night sides, whatever, and the fact that you know, you are allowed to shoot them. Yeah. I mean I think actually other generation we might talk about needing to protect foxes in rural areas, and I guess the badger, you know, no longer has that competition, and farming subsidi eyes badges quite a lot. I mean, you know, they kind of they're in the they're in the cattle sheds at night, sort of routling about and finding stuff to eat. And think farming needs to own the problem a bit more, perhaps and do more to keep them out. And they're omnivorous, so of course they're going to you know, they're the top, they're the top of the food chain, but they're also they're also eat just about anything, so you know, there's there is no stopping them. And I just wonder, you know how long it's going to go on for. But I can't go on forever surely, because you know, the future generations are going to say, what on earth were they thinking? You know, we've got all these badges and it's a zero sum game. You know, we've we've got no hedgehogs, no ground nesting birds. Are all familiar with the arguments. So at some point there has to be this sort of Emperor's clothes moment when everybody turns around and says, look, you know what, we're going to have to change things here. And I mean it is pretty unique in Europe. I think that you know, it's a British problem. The Germans still hunt badgers, I think, don't they? Yes? And I think you know, there's, as I say, there's going to have to be a Southern seed change. And so I'm hoping that grand cry, which will be probably lots of old people who are never We're never going to have to worry about standing for parliament or getting a job, or or keeping in with the governments and civil servants. We're not we're not part of the client state, and we can tell us as it is. And so that's what we're going to do, and you know, and we're going to change public opinion and bring forward that that Emperor's closed moment.
Speaker 1: Do you think one of the challenges is mean? I co remember as a child one of my childhood heroes was a gamekeeper and him take me out badger watching. And that was back in the days when badgers were rare enough that going and sitting up and letting dusk settle and watching a set come to life was a fascinating thing and it was quite a rarity. And this was a gamekeeper who took me out and to see this, do you think I mean? I can been watching it and I thought they're amazing, beautiful creatures, just like when you watch an otter and you think what a fantastic creature he is. They are charismatic species. When I look at I suppose a lap wing, you have to look quite hard until you realize their wonder and what amazing creature they are. Do you think almost one of the biggest challenges is the fact that most of these ground nesting birds are either quite dowdy, which is a defense mechanism, say with a curly or stone curly down and our neckle the woods, so you don't even see them really, or otherwise they're a bird, you know, big new is a bird. Do you think just that sheer charisma of some of these species, like badgers, like otters, ah, that they're just they're just too pretty for people to get past that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I suppose there is this sort of cuddliness to them in the in the public mind. But I mean one of the problems. I mean, actually grand nursing birds are incredibly charismatic, but so few people now have actually as I have, and you probably have witnessed a black cop leg, which is you know, really one of the wonders of nature. Or actually that because of these sort of shifting baseline that we've had, I have experienced the magic of lap rings displaying in the spring and curlews displaying.
Speaker 1: So do you think that's part of your job as well, is to introduce the public, the wider public, to farms like yours. You know, I've never actually been up to your farm, and I've known you for quite a long while. I've never been up to your farm because if I go north of Norfolk, my airs go pop. As you well now, But is it something that you also think that if you're going to go and explain the story of why perhaps some of the decisions that you're after by government quite drastic, they would see them as Do you think it's also part of your job is to go and basically be a bit of a pr agent for the curly, for the lapping, for the golden plover, for the for the black grouds, etc.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think definitely a grand cry. We've just started now really with our sort of social media campaign which is sort of building very slowly, but we'll be putting in a lot of stuff up. I put one of the first things I put up actually was I've just been up in the Western Iles. I went to Iowa Yea to play golf.
Speaker 1: Plain no pilgrimage for you got.
Speaker 2: We did do a bit of a pilgrimage to set Columbus Monastery as well. There were these corn crakes calling in a hay meadow, and it's years since I've heard of corn creak. Of course, now you can whip your phone out and record it. And I put that recording up there, and I said, you know, just stop and listen to the magic of the corn crake. And of course you know that they were everywhere on the mainland. Now they're just on an island where, yeah, there are otters, but and occasionally there's a mink, but the islanders deal with that pretty quickly. But there aren't any badgers. And I couldn't actually see many many crows either. And you know, it wouldn't be wonderful if we were able to get corn crakes back on the mainland. But at the moment really you're talking about, you know, the problem is a lot of people don't know these birds because you either have to go and go to an actual island separated by sea or a sort of artificial island where there's a badge of fence. Yes, And I think a lot of the problem, a lot of the complacency is that some of these organizations are actually quite pleased that the only place you can see some of these birds is on their reserves where they've spent their millions and millions on erecting a badge of fence. And they and they're secretly using some of their money to do lots of predator control which they don't which they don't talk about.
Speaker 1: It's very interesting actually, because I mean less the RSPB. There's two fantastic reserves near to me. One is a mens Men which they use as their flagship, and as you say, that is completely ring fenced by predator fence, and it's in our fisial population. What is interesting is over at Lake and heath Fen, where they recreated a reed bed on what was actually a carrot farm. There is not ring fenced, and they are quite overt about the fact that predator control is part of their regime because they have cranes there. I mean, they have a very high population of bittens too. But they've managed to find a bird which is actually more charismatic than the foxes that they are shooting, so therefore as a tick in the box, which is why slightly when I asked you that question. And this might be a challenge because our buffers like us are actually pretty useless at making films of stuff. I mean, I've seen your wonderful films when you go and talk to camera and half the time you've got it upside down. When you first start off, the words are fantastic, but you have shot your feet or something. So one of the things that we might want to go and do is we almost need some younger folk possibly who do know what this phone thing is in our hands, which and it's not just for making phone calls or sending rude WhatsApp messages toward army buddies. Is that we actually could do with some people going and having some footage of as you say, because we want to and I say we because you called me to talk to me about this and what I thought of it, and I thought it's an excellent idea. And we almost need some people who are adept at filming stuff so that we can show that majesty of a blackgrows, like because you see it every day we're farming where you do. And I think that's probably and it's and it's a credit to you that you want more people to be able to see that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well it's God. It's so difficult because you want them to see it. Well, on the other you don't want them to just hep, you know, the birds. But I'm actually going to see if I can couple against some money to put up some hides and encourage people to actually put up some hides on stilts and things. So okay, because believe it or not, we've got an unconfirmed sighting of it or hearing of a bitten.
Speaker 1: Oh really with us fantastic spring.
Speaker 2: Unfortunately it wasn't mean it was some birdo who was at the top end of our farm where we have got reed beds all along a burn because I've fenced them fenced it off years ago and now they're really quite extensive reed beds, and you might have been hearing something else.
Speaker 1: Moved, probably the cows in the distance.
Speaker 2: I mean, but what I did see not long ago was a white stalk Okay, yeah, in our fields that was obviously lost trying to find nep or somewhere.
Speaker 1: And you're on a major migratory route. And also, this is one thing I wanted to ask you what I've got you here. You've changed your dairying system, haven't you quite dramatically? Are you seeing I know you you've you've written about how the fact that it's it's a more sustainable method of farming for you. Have you seen an upturn in wildlife since you changed that system?
Speaker 2: Definitely? Absolutely, I mean a few years ago, I would have agreed with the RSPB mantra about the starling being a threatened farmland bird that we hardly ever seen. Now well not nemore. Have you know? We've We've got hundreds and thousands probably of starlings.
Speaker 1: And why why have they come back?
Speaker 2: It must be because of the soil health. I think that they're finding finding stuff to eat and then all the little bugs and beasties and insects and the soil and us. You used to lift a stone, which I do fairly frequently, because we've always got a dry stone wall on the go. And there might have been a slug underneath it years ago, but what you usually there would be nothing. Uh, And now you're always guaranteed to have loads of beetles running your own.
Speaker 1: So that's something that you would say, because you said, we've focused understandably on predators control frequently things that we aren't allowed to control, either lethally or as you suggest, using slightly more sort of less permanent means. You call it the four legged stall, don't you have? I do?
Speaker 2: I mean it started slightly tight and cheek, but it was it was I was having a real trouble. I mean the access officer actually done free gallery Council access officer was being incredibly helpful. But the certain individuals within the village that adjoins us, we're just being bloody minded about walking, you know, wherever they wanted. I I was trying to foster this sort of were some lap rings nesting in this field and the people were just walking in it. I was trying to channel them, and the access officer was actually agreed with me. He said, yes, landowner here is doing his best. He's trying to divert a foot bath and I'm supporting ins. But they were having nothing on it of it. So I thought, well, you know, we've got to somehow get into the public consciousness that disturbance is a problem. And so I started talking about a four legged stool. You know, we're all familiar with the three legged store, but the fourth leg is minimizing disturbance in the spring. And of course that times with at the moment we've got guy Shrubs Soul and his merry men you know what to right to Rome and in England, and I've written various articles from a telegraph pointing out the anomaly that actually Scotland is a country with no law of trespass where we landowners have been encouraged to put in paths, and people that, with a few exceptions, have been really good about using footpaths. England, on the other hand, is a country with the widest network of footpaths anywhere in the world, but people weren't used them. They want to walk off peace.
Speaker 1: Do you think in Scotland? I mean it's a small nation. You're what five point five five point eight million people, do you think I mean, do you think that actually that when I lived in Edinburgh there seemed to be a slightly closer association. More people you would see would go out hill walk. There'll be more people who would. Do you think that the people of Scotland, as I saw in Wales, they had a greater affinity and understanding of wilder places. Were we doing Inland?
Speaker 2: So definitely? I mean in any city in Scotland do you only have to look up and you can see the hills, you know, particularly a lot actually not so much in Glasgow, but and the population is much closer to the land, and I think perhaps that's why it works to a certain extent, less people and broadly speaking, a greater sympathy for what farmers are trying to do in Scotland, there is sides of the border where there is a far more metropolitan population.
Speaker 1: Left field question. You very bravely and quite madly stood in an election alongside George Galloway. What on earth is going wrong with the political system at the moment and can you see any good coming out of it for farming and the environment with all this utter bonkers that's.
Speaker 2: Going on in the moment, Well, it is pokers and I feel I really feel for by far farmers in England because in Scotland we're actually I never thought I would say this, but I mean, I mean the Nationalist government is corrupt as we've seen and inept, but they are because the SOP relies on winning quite a lot of rural seats, genuinely rural seats. They probably actually have a slightly more sympathetic farming policy. We're still getting a single farm payment in Scotland, for example, which they're not in England. But in England, Drinks, I mean, arable farmers are just giving up and selling their farms through the record record numbers of farm sales, and the most particularly arable farms and it seems to be just we've learned nothing from history. It's sort of back to the thirties when there were whole swathes of East Anglia where there were negative rents, there were landowners paying tenants to farm their land just to keep it in some of good order, stop it reverting to scrub and I could really see that we're heading in that direction if something doesn't happen. And yeah, you mentioned time with George Gallery and I we disagreed on lots of thanks obviously because we're in different ends of the political spectrum. But what we did agree was that the SMP were completely out of control, not being held to account, and journalists were afraid to ask the important questions. And we thought we would go around lobbing large stones into into ponds and create create a bit of a stir and change the narrative about the SMP. And I think we did succeed in doing that because I mean, obviously Nicholas Sturgeon brought her nemesis completely on herself, but even before that was happening, people because journalists were and actually politicians in the mainstream parties were shamed by us into actually being a bit braver. And I'm hoping that grand cry And I haven't actually spoken to George bad and he's not much of a murder and I don't think he'll be he'll be joining married men, but I probably will do a podcast with him on it. But but I'm hoping that we will get similar sorts of people who are not afraid to speak truth to power, as they say, to point out the elephants in the room, and to bring about this change with public opinion that we so badly need about conservation and you know, saving our grand nesting bags. As we speak, the Cagords are on Far, the village of nephew Bridge is being evacuated. Peak District is on far. Are the sleeve something or other in Ireland is on far. You know, the the changing the sort of matter of the chickens are coming home to roost. And we actually need to be talking about this stuff and not are not faffing around with you know, sort of turning the party line on while we need we need to We need to actually demand legislation that will hold landowners to account if they allowed the fuel load to get to a point where they cause a complete biodiversity wipeout as is happening on guess what lots of RSPB reserved.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Okay, so if we were to our listeners were first port a call and you would like them to visit to learn more about grand crime. Although we've done a very deep.
Speaker 2: Diving hopefully as a catchy title, Google it does what it says. Google it. You'll find us on Instagram, on Facebook, which we'll get on Twitter shortly. I haven't managed to sort that out yet. There's a website where we're we're putting a few articles on all and if we could, if we can get lots of followers, then we're in a position then to start doing the petitions, you know, the demands for judicial reviews, all all that kind of stuff, and and we can actually and and what I'm going to do is is sort of bang out a bit of a speak to us, this sort of panel of advisors, of whom you will be one, Richard, I hope and you get a sort of manifesto together for what we want for grand nesting birds, uh, you know, dealing with the predators and the disturbance and the wildfiles and all the problems that we all know exist and that people in the RSPP privately will acknowledge, but but aren't brave enough to say it publicly. But if they've got, you know, some pretty heavyweight people saying it regularly on social media and on the on the radio interviews and debates and things, hopefully they will be shamed into changing their position publicly and we and we'll actually start to get somewhere.
Speaker 1: Superb Jamie Blackett, thank you so much much coming on the show. He's been lovely to talk to you.
Speaker 2: Thank you, Richard, thank you