Speaker 1: And now your voice for Dodger talking like that, David Basse.
Speaker 2: We are live at Dodgers Stadium after the Dodgers defeat Paul Skeens and the Pittsburgh Pirates tonight by a final score of four to one. Welcome the Dodger Talk. David Vasse with you until the top of the hour. We have phone lines open at eight six six nine, eight seven, two five seventy. We will hear from River Ryan, we will hear from Dave Roberts, and also we will hear from the former owner of the Dodgers, the great Peter O'Malley, whose father Walter was honored before tonight's game and forever enshrine down the left field line in the Ring of honor with all those other greats than Dodger history. And if it wasn't for Walter O'Malley, there would be no La Dodgers, and there certainly would never be a Dodger stadium like this. So deservedly so, Walter O'Malley forever honored here at Dodgers Stadium, the house he built back in nineteen sixty two, after the Dodgers moved here in nineteen fifty eight, and before we go any further with tonight's game, I just want to say what a great job the Dodgers did the last two nights with this alumni weekend, and tomorrow is going to be great as well on Matt camp Day. Congratulations to Stan Casten, Lon Rosen and Steve Brenner and Carrie Osbourne who really executed a great day today, a great night yesterday, and I'm sure another great day tomorrow with Matt camp Day.
Speaker 3: This is what the Dodgers are about. It the players.
Speaker 2: It's the people that came before all these guys and the current players need to really understand that and pay it forward. One day, Clayton Kershaw is going to be sitting in the stands where Sandy Cofax is sitting, and it's just really special. It was surreal for me growing up a Dodger fan in the San Fernando Valley. You know, I was born in nineteen seventy six, so I was starting to come of age around eighty two to eighty three to be start to understand what my dad was watching, what my uncles and my dad were watching and listening to. And Dusty Baker was the player that captured my imagination and today, you know, being on the field when all these great Dodger legends were coming out there for the ceremony. I mean, it was a pinch me moment to see the legendary infield of Garvey Lopes, Russell and say, unfortunately Davy Lopes couldn't be here, But to see the other guys and to have a certain level of relationship with all of them, it's pretty special.
Speaker 3: And to see Steve Yeager, who was.
Speaker 2: The catcher for all those great teams, awesome to see him. Obviously, we see Oral Herscheiser here every night. We never take that for granted. Monday was a big part of those teams in the late seventies and early eighties. And it was special to see Hideo Nomo back at Dodger Stadium wearing his Dodgers number sixteen. Everybody was excited to see that. You heard Andre Ethier in the broadcast boot during the game, he was so excited showing a picture of him and Nomo before the game to everybody in the press box. Just a lot of great players in their own right that certainly have built this organization to where it's at right now, and it was really a pinch me moment. To see all these guys, and man Nicki Hatcher even gave me kind of a stunt man pumped me up type of thing going on when I saw him on the field.
Speaker 3: So really special.
Speaker 2: Love all those guys, and it was great to have Kurt Gibson out here in Los Angeles as well. So all of that makes the Dodgers who they are and this organization as special as it is. So once again, congratulations to everybody in the organization that had this vision and to all that executed it. And it was I know all the former players that were out here really felt special and appreciated with the way the Dodgers have treated them.
Speaker 3: So a great start to the game.
Speaker 2: And then the current Dodgers did a great job of getting to Paul Skeens, who had never given up these many runs in a start before tonight, and the Dodgers scored four runs off of Skeens. Gavin Lux, the cleanup hitter for the first time in his career, delivers and you know, maybe the Dodgers realize that, you know what, this guy lucks. He's pretty hot and he's even better all season long with runners in scoring position, and he delivered in the first inning with an RBI double and then with two outs in the third inning and two to on, Gavin Lux delivered just the base hit that scored two runs, and that is really, uh what the Dodgers needed, especially with the way River Ryan was pitching. Unfortunately, River had to leave this game with the right forearm injury with two outs in the fifth inning. And the reason why I speculated initially that it was a blister issue was because going into his last start in Oakland, Uh, River Ryan showed me his right index finger. He had a bandage over it two days before start in Oakland and was managing a blister. So that's the reason why initially I thought it may have been the blister, but unfortunately a much more serious injury where River Ryan's going to have an MRI tomorrow to examine his right arm. A moment ago, River Ryan spoke to the media on Sports at LA.
Speaker 4: Did you feel it started inning? Started feeling a little bit of tightness in my form, got the uh.
Speaker 5: Called right now.
Speaker 4: There again running through my arm a little bit, went back out there for the fifth last two pitches really started tightening up on me a little bit, so I begged doctor let me keep going.
Speaker 5: But he pulled the plug on it, So.
Speaker 4: I mean not really no, Like I said, it just really started tightening up on me a little bit.
Speaker 5: And then doctor was concerned.
Speaker 4: Training was concerned. I thought it was a hard time to.
Speaker 6: Pull it, so concerned.
Speaker 7: Are you going forward now?
Speaker 8: Not very?
Speaker 4: I mean I feel pretty solid right now and random through some tests strong. I'm gonna go to the doctor inmorrow morning.
Speaker 5: See what happens.
Speaker 4: Did you when you started feeling it, did you tell like the training stat at the moment or is it something that you felt like you getting pitched through? Okay, I definitely didn't want to come out of the game. I wanted to finish, but they saw me grimace a little bit on the mountain and they're not gonna take any chances, so they decided to end it there.
Speaker 6: But disappointing is this considering how willy you're pitching.
Speaker 5: Not just tonight with that you got here.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's just as part of the game, man, happens. I mean, the pitchclock definitely makes you speed up a lot, which back in the day you didn't have to speed up as much when you threw. So throwing back to back pitches and then fifteen seconds.
Speaker 8: It starts to take a toll, but.
Speaker 4: I guess that we're gonna go throw to the doctor Marmore and see how there that fans out.
Speaker 2: All right, there's River Ryan on sports in at LA and maybe the first pitcher in a long time I've heard reference the pitch clock to an arm injury. So look, there's something to be said about the pitch clock and the number the time that you have between pitches to gather yourself, especially.
Speaker 3: As you get later in the game.
Speaker 2: Maybe fatigue is setting in and when you have to throw the ball within fifteen seconds, obviously, maybe you're starting to compensate with your arm and not using your lower half. So I know, talking to Oral Herscheizer during a rain delay in Chicago, he said, maybe that's part of it, where guys get fatigued with the pitch clock later in their starts, but also in between starts. These guys are not just doing a light bullpen session. They're trying to throw their max pitch, is what Oral speculated about, and really talking to guys, they validated what Oral Herscheizer said. A lot of these younger pitchers are looking at the iPad, looking at their best stuff, trying to make their best pitch in a bullpen session. That's not what they are meant for. So hopefully things work out for River Ryan. Unfortunately he had to leave with two outs in the fourth inning. He does not get a decision, but Michael Kopek does. Michael Kopek, who the Dodgers acquired from the White Sox in that three team trade that brought Cope and tom Y edmund t l A. Copeck now has not allowed to run in five appearances, and tonight was his first outing where he went one plus one in a third scoreless innings for Michael Kopek to pick up his first win as a Dodger. Eight six six seven two five seventy is the phone number. Got to go out to my guy Sergio in American Canyon. He is a cable car guy in San Francisco. Sergio, I'm glad you called in.
Speaker 3: How you doing, Hey, I'm.
Speaker 9: Good, DV Man nicely nice to speak with you again. Man, it was It was nice to see you inside the bar station last Sunday.
Speaker 10: Man.
Speaker 9: I totally recognize you, and I was just like, Man, what a trip, because I've seen you before at Dodger Stadium. Uh in your suit but I've seen you from Afar, so I.
Speaker 7: Was like, oh man, I know where that guy is.
Speaker 9: So hey, thank you for taking the time for being like your real uh down on earth, your real uh pleasant. You know you didn't seem all stuff got man, So I really appreciate that.
Speaker 2: You know, I mean people, did you think I was stuck up when you listened to the show.
Speaker 3: Did you think I was a top one percenter?
Speaker 9: Nah? No, never thought that. But you know, you never know how people could come up when you meet them in real life. That's what I say.
Speaker 2: Well, I appreciate it, Sergio, and I really appreciate you listening up there in Giants Country. Do you wear your Dodger hat? When do you drive the cable car all the time?
Speaker 9: And I got different kinds. I got the green nineteen thirty seven Brooklyn Dodgers hat. I got many of them, so I'm always wearing them all the time, and all my coworkers are always giving me crap, but hey, come on, they know who runs San Francisco. It's a Dodgers baby.
Speaker 3: Come on out love it.
Speaker 2: Sergio, thanks a lot for calling in, and uh, if you're up in San Francisco, look out for Sergio wearing that Dodger hat on the cable car. Thanks a lot for calling in and it was great meeting you.
Speaker 9: You're too, my friend, and just know you're welcome anytime you and the family. So next year when you got I'll call you again and we'll try.
Speaker 2: To set that up, all right, Love it appreciated, Sergio'll be safe out there. Eight six six nine eighty seven two five seventy is the phone number. Dodgers beat the Pirates four to one and keep the Diamondbacks and Padres at arms distance length.
Speaker 3: Because they both won tonight. That's right.
Speaker 2: The Padres now have won seven in a row. They're just two and a half games back of the Dodgers, while the Diamondbacks won again. They've won eight of their last ten. They are three and a half games behind the Dodgers, so they.
Speaker 3: Are not going anywhere.
Speaker 2: I love the urgency the Dodgers have shown in the last two games, including tonight against the Pirates, and they've got to continue to show that urgency because their record since June twenty first I saw coming into tonight's game was fifteen and eighteen. That's right there with the Rockies since that period of time. And things are starting to turn in the Dodgers direction because they are starting to get some of their players healthy and they're looking to sweep the Pirates with their Ace on the Mound tomorrow the former Pirate Tyler Glass now, so that would be a good way to end this homestand after a disappointing series against the Phillies, and the Dodgers' schedule does not get any easier because they will be playing the Brewers and the Saint Louis Cardinals on this trip. And I know we focus on Mookie Bets coming back. The Dodgers already got Freddie Freeman back, but they need starting pitching and certainly that's what's going to carry the Dodgers from here to the finish line. And that's what's really going to be something to watch going forward in the last forty five games of the year. How deep can Dodgers starters get into a game? Because this Rodger bullpen has been used quite a bit. Eight six six, two five seventy is the phone number. Let's go out to Santa Monica. I was out in Santa Monica on Thursday night. Diane, You're on Dodger Talk.
Speaker 7: How you doing Diane, good, good, thanks, How are you doing? Yeah?
Speaker 3: Maybe I saw you at the bungalow on Thursday night.
Speaker 7: Going I'm going tomorrow, okay, and yeah, just not. I'll be excited to see Matt camp for sure.
Speaker 10: Yeah.
Speaker 3: And are you gonna wear your twenty seven jersey tomorrow?
Speaker 7: Diane, Yes, I yes, I will, yes, I will.
Speaker 3: Yes.
Speaker 7: I know it's gonna be warm, so taking water and sunscreen. But I just remember back in the back in the day. I don't know if you're with them, but when uh, the Cardinals were facing us and we and the second game when James Long hit the ball and Matt Holiday dropped it and we scored all the.
Speaker 3: He lost it in the towels.
Speaker 7: And then anime right matteels for dropping it.
Speaker 3: Hey, that was great.
Speaker 2: And then the Dodgers went on to shock the world and get to the NLCS.
Speaker 3: So yeah, I remember those days, good times.
Speaker 2: You don't have to go all the way back to the seventies to have some fond memories of Dodger baseball. And hard to believe Matt Kemp is retired because we all remember him when he just got called up, and we all remember the great seasons he had with the Dodgers, and it was really cool that Matt was able to come back in twenty eighteen and prove a lot of doubters wrong, making the All Star.
Speaker 3: Team in twenty eighteen and going.
Speaker 2: To the World Series with the Dodgers against the Boston Red Sox.
Speaker 3: Let's go out to.
Speaker 2: James in North Hollywood. Hi, James, you're on Dodger Talk.
Speaker 10: Hey, David, I gotta tell you, I'm excited about the NL West getting tight, and the reason is because iron sharpened iron. And you have said before that you're a big proponent of this team needs more edge. Well, if we get enough iron sharpening us, we're gonna be darn right edgy come the postseason. So I absolutely love the fact that the race is getting tight. I also love the swings tonight from the bottom of the lineup, watching.
Speaker 6: Nick got Meg come in there and do his thing, Kevin Kiermyer do his thing. I just love watching Tay Oscar go opposite field. You know, he's not a huge man, but boy does he have great power to all fields. And isn't it great to see Gavin Lux go to all fields? So I look at that, but I'm absolutely thrilled that the way the team is trending. And the last thing I wanted to say is Mookie BET's going to write I asked you about this the last time I called in. I was surprised to hear you say that you thought it maybe wouldn't happen to closer to the postseason, because with the way Lux is hitting since the all start breaking, the way Mickey Rose hit all season, and with the way our other outfielders not named Tey Oscar Hernandez have hit, to me, it just seems like the best lineup was clearly with Lux holding down second and Mike you Row when he came back from injury holding down short.
Speaker 2: I'm with you, that was the best alignment, and Mookie Betts read the room. He understood that was the best spot for him, and I'm glad that he was the one to initiate that. Hey, you know what, the team is better with me in right field. So kudos to Mookie Betts, who's a great guy and a superstar that is doing things that no other superstar would be as flexible to do. Eight six six nine seven two five seventy is the phone number. We're going to take a time out here on Dodger Talk. When we come back, we'll give you an update on Max Muncie and Tommy Edmond's first rehab game, and also let you know when Walker Buehler is going to start for the Dodgers. Plus we will hear from Peter O'Malley, the legendary owner of the Dodgers, and his father Walter honored earlier tonight in the Ring of honor. The Dodgers beat Paul Skeens in the Pirates tonight four to one on a five to seventy LA Sports.
Speaker 1: On air at AM five to seventy, online at AM five seventy LA sports dot com, and available my podcast on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 3: This is Dodger Talk with David Bassin. That's to offer two.
Speaker 2: Ti Oscar Hernandez driven high and data right center.
Speaker 3: Way back in time.
Speaker 2: Tioscar Hernandez with home run number twenty six and the Dodgers waited for nothing. Ti Oscar Hernandez with another three hit game tonight, his eighth of the season. Ti Oscar Hernandez hit one a mile in the fifth inning off of Paul Skeens to give the Dodgers a four nothing lead against the rookie sensation. They would go on to beat Pittsburgh tonight four to one in hand Skemes just his second loss of the season. Daniels Jewelers is the official sponsor of the Trip around the Diamond. Stop by any Daniel's location and say home run for your free team bracelet and fifty dollars gift card toward any purchase of ninety nine dollars or more. Daniels Jewelers own the Dream. The only disappointing part about tonight was that River Ryan left the game tonight with a right forearm injury. He is going to have an MRI tomorrow and the Dodgers are placing him on the injured list, and we'll recall Landon Knack, who will be available for the Dodgers out of the bullpen tomorrow afternoon as they look to sweep the Pittsburgh Pirates out of La Pittsburgh now all of a sudden fifty six and sixty.
Speaker 3: On the season.
Speaker 2: They have lost five or six in a row and our five games back out of the final wildcard spot in the National League. In case you missed it earlier, the Diamondbacks and Padres both won tonight, so the Dodgers remained two and a half ahead of San Diego, three and a half ahead of Arizona. We were talking about the cavalry arriving soon. Max Munsey and Tommy Edmund played their first rehab games at Oklahoma City tonight. Munsey was one for two with a walk and a double. Tommy Edmund was one for three, starting in center field. Also, Walker Buehler will make his return to the Dodger rotation next week in Milwaukee. Dave Roberts said before the game today that Walker Bueller will start Wednesday against the Brewers. That's a four game series at Miller Park. All right, want to share a very special conversation we had tonight with Peter O'Malley. The O'Malley family is synonymous with the Dodger family and certainly great to have Peter here and his sister Terry Sidler. And this was a very candid and intimate conversation I was able to have with the great Peter O'Malley after the special pregame ceremony which honored his father, Walter O'Malley. And in case you don't know the backstory, Walter O'Malley passed away in nineteen seventy nine, but Peter O'Malley became the president of the Dodgers in nineteen seventy one, so the transition was in place. And as a young man, Peter O'Malley started from the very bottom and worked his way throughout the organization to really know the ins and outs. And here's what mister O'Malley had to say about that and many other things surrounding the O'Malley family, Walter O'Malley and the Dodgers.
Speaker 11: And that's the key word that if you're responsible for your family, family, or for driving a car with the kids in the car, responsibility And that always kind of stuck in my mind that if you realize, hey, Peter, you're responsible for this franchise. You're going to get up early, you're going to work late, You're going to come in here Saturdays and Sundays in the wintertime. So nobody ever asked me for advice, but that's kind of on my mind.
Speaker 8: Do you realize how much the O'Malley family meant, not only to your players, to the staff and the organization, but to the city.
Speaker 5: I think I do.
Speaker 11: I think I'm talking to today the luncheon, were you with the luncheon today. Okay, well I had a chance to visit with all them who I knew on my watch.
Speaker 5: I didn't know the fellows that came after, but.
Speaker 11: They truly appreciated it was a special time. It's going to get greater. The stadium is greater, the teams are going to be greater, the players are going to be greater.
Speaker 5: But when we had it.
Speaker 11: It was a special, unique time everyone looks back at with Even living in the barracks at Dodgertown Old Navy Barracks, everybody complained no heat, no air conditioning, no telephones, the fuse would go, nobody had electricity. But the next morning everybody laughed and said, I survived the night or mosquitoes, but you know.
Speaker 5: When it gets hot. No, the reviews of that fifty years are pretty good.
Speaker 8: What was Walter O'Malley the father?
Speaker 6: Like?
Speaker 3: He was great?
Speaker 11: You know, he fished together, we hunted together. He was honest. He uh we disagreed, maybe a couple of times on something minor. He would hear me out, Okay, well why do you want to do that? I would tell him, and he might say, yeah, I think you're right, or well, think about this it. It was a frank relationship.
Speaker 8: It seems like you not only took the torch, but you ran with it.
Speaker 5: Well.
Speaker 11: Yes, I thought about going to law school when I was an undergraduate at Penn, and then I thought, Hey, I'd like to run a farm team, and the fella in Spokane. Spencer Harris, the GM, he passed away in the winter suddenly and there's an opening general manager of Spokane, Washington, and my dad and Buzzy said, would you want to do that? And I said sure, So I go to Spokane. That was great experience, running the tripa a farm team in the Coast League. So and then came here vice president stadium operations, dealing with the maintenance, the unions, that ticket takers and everybody else. So the pattern, if you look back at the path, it wasn't by design. It just happened to follow the different areas of responsibility, and so it worked out.
Speaker 8: Mister O'Malley, the history lesson we've gotten is of course from the great Vin Scully about not only the Dodgers, but your father. And I remember interviewing Vin for the first time and he said his two wishes before he left. In his words, this mortal coil was that Gil Hodges and your father, Walter O'Malley would get into the Hall of Fame.
Speaker 5: That's very true.
Speaker 11: Well let's take Vinnie first. He really wanted Gil in the Hall of Fame and Gil Vinnie wanted Gil to get in the Hall of Fame.
Speaker 5: And I think Vinny helped.
Speaker 11: And if you look back at Gil's record when he played, his numbers were up there. But then after he retired, new numbers, new circumstances. But Gil's numbers, in my opinion, should have put him in the Hall of Fame quicker before other numbers got not inflated, they were earned for different reasons. As far as my dad goes, I think Vinnie lived to see my dad go in the Hall of Fame.
Speaker 5: Yeah he did. Yeah, he was alive then. Yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 8: He told me that he appreciated when the team was moving to Los Angeles that your father did not have a secretary call him. He called Vin Scully directly.
Speaker 11: Sure, a fifty six trip to Japan, everybody's got a roommate, every ballplayer, doctors, trainers, everybody on the trip. That's the way it was in those days, to to a room. So my dad says that Peter's going to go with us.
Speaker 5: To the fifty sixth trip to Tokyo? Could he room with you?
Speaker 11: Now? Ever, gracious Vinnie would never say no, even if he felt like he.
Speaker 5: Said, are you kidding, mister Omanalley?
Speaker 3: Of course.
Speaker 5: Now that's where.
Speaker 11: Vinnie and I bonded on that fifty six He wasn't in the room a lot.
Speaker 5: He used in two beds in the room.
Speaker 11: He was out doing his thing. He was a single guy. He wanted museums and places of art and drama and all that. But yeah, fifty six that's a long time. That's someone He and I really connected.
Speaker 8: That's amazing.
Speaker 5: Vinny telling that to.
Speaker 11: My dad, imagine my dad's saying it to Vinnie and then he said, yeah, of course, mister O'Malley, no problem, Just like what else is new?
Speaker 8: So you mentioned that your dad was somewhat of a father figure to Vinnie, So were you Did you have a brother type of relationship with him? Especially after that trip, I.
Speaker 11: Would say, yeah, brother, Vinnie was ten years older, but yeah, brother works, brother works, a good friend works, honest relationship. Vinnie I talked about things that he may not have talked to too many people about honest because he knew me and I think we trusted each other.
Speaker 5: He told me something and I'm never going to repeat it.
Speaker 8: I could sit here all day with you. You just mean so much to the city and to Dodger fans. The O'Malley family is synonymous with Dodger baseball, and family is synonymous with the O'Malley. So thank you so much for your time, and rightfully so, your father and the O'Malley family will always be remembered here.
Speaker 5: Thank you.
Speaker 11: Just one quick note, my sister and I were blessed with great parents. I don't say that too often because not everyone is fortunate to have that experience. You know, a lot of families are split, divided and everything else. But my sister, Terry and I grew up in a perfect mother, father for people, home support, fun. It was remarkable. So I would give my sister Terry and I talk about it a lot. I'd give that a lot of credit.
Speaker 5: And I'm lucky. That's a blessing. Not everybody else can say that.
Speaker 8: Sadly, thank you for your time.
Speaker 5: All right, good to be with you.
Speaker 2: Thanks to Steve Brenner of the Dodgers for connecting us with the great Peter O'Malley. Obviously I have a lot of reverence for him because the O'Malley family was so special with this Dodger organization. And now forever, Walter O'Malley will be enshrined here down the left field line with all the retired numbers. So awesome here at Dodger Stadium. And thank you so much to Peter O'Malley for allowing us to catch up with him after tonight's ceremony. A real big honor for me to be able to interview him and share him with you because he has never been on the show with us in recent memories. So thank you Peter O'Malley, Thank you Walter O'Malley, and thank you Terry Seidler, who is Peter's sister and Walter's daughter. It was great to see her at Dodgers Stadium as well. That'll do it for us tonight. An Dodger talk coming up tomorrow. Tyler Glass now will be on the mound. The former Pirate will be looking to help the Dodgers sweet Pittsburgh out of town. Glass now this season is nine to six with an ERA of three P fifty four. He's going up against Bailey Falter, who is five and seven this season with an ERA of three eighty seven.
Speaker 3: Morongo Casino.
Speaker 2: Dodgers on Deck begins at noon, first pitch at one ten. Thanks to calling me back at our Burbank studios, thanks to dwayn mcdo Ronald out here at Dodgers Stadium, and thanks to you for listening. In case you missed any of the show or our conversations with Miguel Rojas and Peter O'Malley, you can find it on the iHeartRadio app once again. The final score from Dodgers Stadium. The Dodgers defeat the Pirates four to one. Have a great rest of your Saturday.
Speaker 3: See yam