Speaker 1: Hello, what's the crack? Summer is back? TYG Talks is back. We're deep into the GA season. We won't talk about the Premier League, but it's all goodbye here lets. It's been a busy few months and I just got back from San Diego where I was competing with the Calgary chieftains in the San Diego Sevens GA Tournament. So apologies for the delay in getting episodes out, but here we are. In this run of episodes, I have a country singer, Ice Skaters representing Ireland, a native from South Carolina, and much more. You'll never know who will end up in the Tight Talks podcast next to be honest halftime, I don't know myself, but anyway, let's get into this week's episode. Here is my chat with Devin Cooper.
Speaker 2: Dying Dying j Wes.
Speaker 1: Welcome back to Tight Talks. So today's episode is a little different as I dive into the world of country music and so I am joined by singer songwriter Devin Cooper. Devin is known for his signature gritty yet smooth vocals and having best here in the business. Devin has been working relentlessly. I has been making waves in the Canadian country music scene, which saw him win the Horizon Male Artist of the Year at twenty twenty three Country Music Alberta Awards, which while also being the most nominated solo artist at the awards that year. So without further ado, I am trusted to introduced the brilliant Devin Cooper. Devin, thank you very much for coming on to talk to me on Tight Talks.
Speaker 2: Oh thanks so much for having me tag. I apreci Yeah, no problem.
Speaker 1: Most recently I've had guests on from Ireland and thought it was about time to bring it all back to Burda a bit more closer to the category through.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Absolutely, it's it's great to be here.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, no, I've been following you for a few years. Actually, I remember for seeing you at the Blue Jay Cafe event that used to happen and it was it was in the Oak Tree Tavern in Kensington, that's right, And for the listeners who don't know what that is, it's basically where a group of country singers sit in a circle and take turns singing their songs acoustic and it was brilliant and I was a fan ever since. So I'm delighted to have you on.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Well, thanks so much. Yeah, those Blue Jay sessions are always an absolute blast. It's great to get to you know, sit down and you know, share some stories and get to sing the songs. And it's such a stripped down intimate format.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I love that too. And it's there's another one called Past the Guitar as well, which I love as well. I saw that in Rangements last year. Yeah, and just from singers, Like I didn't even know any of the singers, but by the time I left, I was a fan of all of them because it's just it's just something about acoustic, isn't there, And.
Speaker 2: And totally and the way that you can kind of share the stories and tell the it's a different way to connect with the audience versus like a big production.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because I'd imagine you can, like at a big show, in a big event, you kind of get lost in us. You kind of just you're you're singing your songs and you're doing your thing and soaking up the atmosphere. But when it's an intimate setting, you're kind of you can see everyone's face and you can kind of connect a bit more.
Speaker 2: And that totally, and it's more of a conversation with the audience versus I feel like the big live productions are more of like an energy exchange where you're like feeding off the energy of the audience and you're trying to top it and match it there as in the songwriter rounds, it's like you're able to have a conversation with them and kind of share that space all together.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so Devin, give us brief history about yourself, where you're from and how you got into music.
Speaker 2: Originally from a little town but an hour north of Calgary called in a Spale. And you know, music was always on in my house when I was growing up. My parents both kind of play piano, but not they're not huge musicians kind of thing, but they love music and music was always being played. And when I was about, I guess five years old, I started begging for a guitar and they were like, you're five. In two weeks you're gonna want to do something different. And it went on for about a year. I was just begging and beg and I really wanted to play, and so finally they said, Okay, start saving up your allowance, save up your report card money, all that kind of stuff, and eventually you'll have enough to buy your own guitar. And the next year, at Christmas time, I walked out and there was a shiny black electric guitar sitting there for me, and it came with the condition I had to pay for my first six months lessons though with all that money i'd saved up, and yeah, after that, it was just off to the races. It's everything I've you know, lived in Breeze since that moment.
Speaker 1: And did your dad play music? Did you play guitar all?
Speaker 2: My dad played piano, took like you know, classical row conservatory piano, and my mom had a piano growing up and just kind of like figured out how to play it, but never really like took lessons or they wouldn't consider themselves accomplished musicians, even though they're both fantastic.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because I remember growing up my dad used to play guitar at home, just like casually. And yeah, I remember playing Johnny Cash and John Pryne and oh that's country stars, and I always had a deep love for country music ever since then. I can still remember them playing walk the Line, the first the bar coming in, and yeah, that's where I ended up. I have two guitars myself, but it looks like you were in a music store or.
Speaker 2: Some Yeah, there's there's definitely quite a few in here right now.
Speaker 1: Yeah, what was your first guitar?
Speaker 2: Actually, my first guitar was a Greg Bennett stratocaster copy. So it's basically just a stratocaster, right, And I still have it. It's not here, it's actually back at my folks place, right, but yeah, I still have it, and it was a great guitar. I played it for a lot of years.
Speaker 1: Yeah, straight into electric, no, no acoustic guitar, straight into the real deal.
Speaker 2: Yeah, into electric, and then I got an acoustic maybe three years later after i'd been maybe it was about ten years old when I got my first acoustic.
Speaker 1: And so you played, you started playing at an early age, But what initially drew you to music.
Speaker 2: I don't know what drew me to music other than I just I remember being like two years old. We had one of those big like stereos of the big speakers and six disc changers and that kind of stuff, and I'd put on like the Beatles' Anthology disc and I remember just cranking the intro to Day Tripper over and over again. So something about the guitar lick in that song, and I probably asked, like what makes that sound or something like that kind of thing. And I think just being around music and music always being played in the house on the radio and stuff like that, it was just something that I became became the love at a very very young age.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because I like acoustic guitars and I like the sound, but there's something about electric guitars, just like the likes of Mayor and these guys. From this straight I'm just like, oh that sound is I love it. I love it totally. So I'd definitely love to get my own electric guitar someday. But saving up, Yeah, what was the first song you learned to play on guitar? Can you remember a.
Speaker 2: Song I learned to play? Was actually the day I got my guitar. It was just like the intro, like to Smoke on the Water, which I feel like is everyone's first thing that they get to learn. And like, my dad doesn't play guitar, but he knew how that went. I feel like a lot of people know how that goes on guitar. So that was the first one. But in my lessons, I think one of the first songs that I learned was iron Man by a Black Sabbath. After that, I think one of the first full songs I learned in its entirety was all Right Now by Free So lots of classic rock stuff nice I was growing up, lots of Southern rock, and then put a hair metal and heavy stuff in there as well too.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Mine, Mine isn't so cool. I think the first song I learned to play it was a Cars by snow patrul Okay, and it's basically yeah, started off pretty easy there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's awesome.
Speaker 1: So your sound blend's country and rock and roll. Which artists had the most significant impact on your style? Would you say?
Speaker 2: I think that's I think I have two answers to that question, from like the rock world and then from from the country world, because growing up I was surrounded like my dad listened to a lot of Southern rock and blues. So on the guitar playing front like Stevie Ray Vaughan was one of my biggest influences on my guitar playing and kind of like the music style. And then in the country world. I never really actually got into country until I was about like seventeen or eighteen years old, right, and that was when I really dove into songwriting, and I actually went and saw a country concert live. My friend drugged me to it. It was Kip Moore and the Cadillac Three, and both of them are like very rock country, and there's like a very big blend between the two, and I didn't they realized that you could, you know, mix those two genres and and that was the thing that was happening. So I would say in the country world, my first big influences were like Kit Moore and the Cadillac Three and Chris Stapleton and guys like that that are kind of blending the line between the stuff I grew up listening to while still you know, taking the listener on like an emotional journey that country lyrics do.
Speaker 1: Right. Yeah, it's interesting to say that because obviously it was a Stampede last year and my friend Amanda had a ticket to Brothers Osbourne. I never heard of them, and she said, come on, we're going to Brothers Osbourne. I was like, Okay, I don't know who they are, but I'll go anyway. So I went and they blew the roof off the place.
Speaker 2: They're phenomenal. Actually got to see them. I saw them at that Stampede show last year, and then I had actually seen them two days earlier in Cavendish, Pei because I was out they're playing, and they were also playing that night, so I got to see, you know, the show, just two nights apart. And they're They're phenomenal. They're another huge inflownce for me.
Speaker 1: Talk about two alpha males is coming on stage like build like break poses and one guy looks like Chris Apleton. The other guy is massive, and I was like, are cool as fuck?
Speaker 2: They are?
Speaker 1: They their voices?
Speaker 2: Yeah, they sound phenomenal live and there John Osborne the guitar player is an outrageous guitar player, and yeah TJ's a fantastic singer, and yeah, just they're phenomenal.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Can you remember your first GIK that you saw live? Actually?
Speaker 2: Yeah, my first concert was actually just maybe two months before I got my first guitar. I was six years old and Nickelback was on their first tour in small arenas and the day of the show, more tickets became available and so we ended up getting some and it was my mom and I that went, and the tickets were they said front row, like on the floor front row and we were like, how do we get front row tickets to this? Like the day of the show. So we show up and it's just general admission. There's no seats on the floor, so it's just like a giant mosh pit. And my mom's really small and I was like six years old and she's like, Oh God, what do I do? What am I getting myself into here? And it was pretty wild. The security guards actually lifted me over the security fence because the bar was like covering my eyes, that's not all I was. So they lifted me over the fence and set me on like the subwolfer in front of the stage and I watched part of the show from there.
Speaker 1: Oh it's awesome. So your album Good Things, which we will come to later. I hear some influence from the likes of carry Underwood, Brothers, Osbourne, Keith Urban.
Speaker 2: Yeah, absolutely, there's a I would say that it's like definitely pulled from all of those influences. There's little nuggets here and there that are kind of all of the people that I've looked up to and kind of respect and people that influenced me that have been pulled in to create the sound that is the record, so there's definitely, you know, a little touch of all those things in it.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Good Things Deluxe album, which was released in twenty two. I personally love that album because I think every song is brilliant. It's a great album, and every song is different. And would you say that all the songs are connected, because I've heard you say before country music is both telling a story, and would you say that album as it goes on tells the story in itself.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I would say it's kind of all of my you know, life lessons and ups and downs and things that I've learned up to this point in my life. And in twenty twenty two, we released just the four song EP version of it, and then last year released the large twenty two song version, And for me, it was the four songs were great at the start, done two ways, but it didn't tell the complete Good Things story, and I felt like there was more to say to complete that chapter, which is why we did the deluxe edition with all twenty two songs on it. And it's Yeah, it's kind of all the ups and downs and the good and the bad and everything that I've learned to this point.
Speaker 1: Nice, and I like the SIDEB, which is the acoustic versions, because you know, when like there's a song you hear that's getting released, whether it's country or whatever, I always YouTube the acoustic version as well because I just like to hear it in a different way. So it's great did you have it on the Tulux album? Because you have all those songs and it's just like it's hearing the same song but in a different way, and you love both versions, so it's it's it's very smart actually to do that.
Speaker 2: It was cool because that's kind of how all the songs were written, is in that stripped down format with just an acoustic guitar, So it gives a little more chance for the lyrics to tell the story of what it is and kind of gives the listener an insight onto you know, how the song sounded the day we wrote it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, my favorite song on that is wanted Men, brilliant song. And so the songs on the album, did you was it a plan to release them individually as well after the album? Yeah, release the things.
Speaker 2: It was it was a plan to release the first EP and then kind of build on that, and at the time I knew that I had more that I wanted to say to put into the full record, but I wasn't sure where the direction was going to go right, and so we just kind of kept telling little parts of the story until it was like, Okay, this is how we need to finished the story. And then it was you know, going on the search to find the rest of the songs that finished telling the whole story.
Speaker 1: Yeah. When I describe an album to people, I tell them it's a great road trip album. And definitely I could listen to your album on a road trip for sure, because I was a thinging there's some great like road songs totally.
Speaker 2: Yeah, what do.
Speaker 1: You listen to? What would be on your playlist? And who would you listen to on a road trip? For example?
Speaker 2: Right now, it's been a lot of a band out of Winnipeg called Brose Landreth and they're phenomenal, like some of the best musicians I've ever come across in my life. Phenomenal singers, phenomenal harmonies. Joey Landreth is an outrageous guitar player, so I definitely check them out. In addition to that, I've been big on the Ella Langley train lately. Yeah, I love her new record that she put out it's fantastic, and then lots of Brothers Osbourne after seeing them last summer again twice was like diving back into their catalog again and going through that, and then a little bit kind of off topic of you know the stuff I usually play. I'm a big Zac Top fan and just love everything that he's doing.
Speaker 1: There's a lot to be said as well for like seeing live acts that you wouldn't necessarily know because you'd come away a being a fan like we were last summer at Stampede, Like Brothers Osbande didn't know who they were, so we should, like you should always go to live shows because you never know when you could just fall in love with them. So you learned to play guitar first and then songwriting came later, Is that right?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Absolutely, So I started playing guitar when I was seven and then started writing songs when I was about thirteen, kind of thing. I mean, I always wrote like little guitar riffs and stuff, but started writing lyrics when I was about thirteen. And I guess I started singing when I was about fourteen because I'd written these songs and figured I should probably sing them.
Speaker 1: Yeah, what's your technique for songwriting, because I'm like, there's a skill to it, isn't there totally.
Speaker 2: It's like it's a muscle that you got to work and I feel like the more you work it, the easier it gets. My songwriting process has changed a lot over the years. I used to write basically everything by myself, and as I got more into the country world, I started co writing, and now I basically exclusively co write, where I'm always collaborating with other people and I'll work on ideas and you know, record some guitar riffs and write down some lyrics and kind of create some ideas of what a song could be, and then usually get into a room with you know, people that I like to work with and trust and you know, have them help bring the vision to life with me.
Speaker 1: And when you're not songwriting at your playing shows, how do you keep busy here?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Playing shows is a ton of it. There's gonna be a ton of shows this year and then so lots of writing, lots of playing shows, and lots of planning. And I also, as you can see, there's quite a few guitars in here. I like to buy and sell a bit of gear as well and have fun you know, collecting pieces and find a new gear to use in the studio and finding pieces of gear that inspire me to you know, write different things and feel like every guitar has a story and it has a different something that it makes you play. And so by you know, expanding the collection of guitars, it makes you play different things, makes you feel different things and seeing what those have in them.
Speaker 1: And are you touring around Canada right now?
Speaker 2: Right now, a little bit of a break. We're firing things up at the end of the month, and then it's going to be busy all year long basically till December. So it's not a lot announced yet, but this month all the shows starts to get announced.
Speaker 1: Nice, So you'd be coming back to Calgary, no doubt.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, absolutely, Yeah, We've got lots of stuff playing for Calgary.
Speaker 1: Definitely keep an eye out for that. Then I'm sure you would be at stamped this year as well.
Speaker 3: Probably can't say yet, Well, yeah, okay, who do you love in Canadian artists?
Speaker 1: For example, like the country music scene.
Speaker 2: Yeah, in the country music scene in Canada, there's a lot of fantastic acts Alberta specifically. Yeah, there's so many I have a lot of great friends in the industry as well, and a big fan of an artist named Drew Gregory. He's fantastic. He puts on a super high energy show and it's just a ton of fun. I write a lot of songs with him as well, so he's definitely a frequent collaborator with me. Another great artist in Alberta is an artist at a Left Bridge named Shayla Miller. She's fantastic, kind of a blend between like classic country and then kind of pulls some modern elements into the into the production in that as well, and then on a national scale, some of my favorites are like Jade eagleson I just love like, you know, the classic nineties listening to that stuff with that and big Dallas Smith fan. You know, he comes from the rock world originally and toured for years in a rock band, so it's kind of cool to see how that transition has evolved from him going from the rock world to the country world. But a lot of the people that I love live like Brett Kissel's fantastic, but his live show is excellent and his live band is excellent, So you know, when you go see a Brett show. It's going to be high energy, it's going to be a great band, and they're always super fun to watch.
Speaker 1: Yeah. It's funny because when I moved here to Calgary a few years ago, these country music stars who I wouldn't necessarily have heard about if I stayed in Ireland that I really love now are like JJ Shiplett, Gord Bamfort, Britt Kissel, even like the Brothers Osborne who from the States. Like all these acts. But one guy I heards sing live actually and he sings it all the Fames game, George Kenyon. I was thinking, man, that voice.
Speaker 2: Yeah, George has an unbelievable voice.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And I looked him up and he's been around for a long time, like I saw like early day George Kenyon, and he still had that like chisel Joe and like a great voice. I was thinking, yeah, yeah, but country music is massive here in Alberta in Canada, too, Isn't.
Speaker 2: It it is? It's it is. I think it goes a lot with like, obviously the lifestyle of farming and ranching and all of that stuff that's so prominent in Alberta. And obviously the Calgary Stampede has a big, big, part of that as well.
Speaker 1: So say, there'll be a lot of Irish listeners to this show. How would you describe Stampede to someone from Ireland for the UK?
Speaker 2: Well, it is I would start off by saying, it's the largest outdoor rodeo in the world, and it is also the largest ten day party where basically the entire city shuts down. There's millions of people that attend this event and there's everything from rock concerts to pop concerts, to carnival rides to unbelievable food and vendors and rodeo and it's literally everything that you could want to go do at any point combined into one event in ten days, NonStop.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there is something for everybody, isn't there. Like I was telling my dad about Stampede. He said, Oh, it's for the weekend, is it? I was like, no, that this is ten days, this is everyday. Constant shows country music every night of the week for ten days, and he's like what. So it's cute, it's.
Speaker 2: And it attracts people from all over the world, and they get artists from all over the world to come and play and perform there as well, and not just in country music as well. Which is cool.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because I've told people that too, Like we've had Usher and Floorida and all these kind of guys and Shaquill O'Neal was on the dext.
Speaker 2: One year and yeah, it's pretty unbelievable.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's crazy. The country music scene has changed over the years, too, isn't it. It's not it's moved on from the likes of the Ding Ding Ding Ding. So no, it's kind of into the rock and roll and you are a very good example of that. How it's changed to your Cadillac three Brothers Osbourne thing where a lot more rock and roll country is coming out now, isn't it totally?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think it's cool that the genre has expanded musically in terms of like what the production can sound like. But I think that at the end of the day, what makes all of that music still country is the fact that you can like strip it down, play it with an acoustic guitar and it's still a story that's going to captivate an audience and convey an emotion that that's gonna, you know, resonate with people.
Speaker 1: And that's what music is all about. It's making people feel something, isn't it So totally yeah, and even like even just the atmosphere at the Brothers Osbourne again going back to them last year, is just that you could feel electricity in the room. It was just crazy like and it was just in your veins and it was sly. Where is your favorite venue or city to play?
Speaker 2: There's a couple. One of my favorite places I've played is actually right here in Alberta in Red Deer bowse Barn Stage. It's just a fantastic stage, a fantastic room. You could have seventy people in there and the room feels great, or you could have four hundred people in there and the room feels great. Just the way that it's set up. The staff they're phenomenal. They treat you so well, they got great food, so overall, that's just like a out of ten venue that kind of checks all the boxes. Some of the cooler places I've played is a little place south of Calgary in a town called Bow Island, and there's a quarterly concert series that happens called Blues at the Bow. And it's this old theater from probably turn of the century, like early nineteen hundreds with a big drop down dance floor and it's kind of an old quantt that's kind of falling in on itself and you know, you can like smell and feel the beer coming out through the hardwood floors. It's been there for you know, one hundred and twenty years that people have been dancing in partying in it, and there's nothing that just like beats the energy of an old room like that.
Speaker 1: I love it and for me anyway, like obviously a life big shows that you'd see at Stampede, but I also have like a love for intimate venues like we spoke about earlier as well. Have you ever been to the UK or Ireland? I heard you mentioned on another podcast that you'd love to take the Royal Albert Hall and they didn't know, they didn't know, they weren't familiar with the venue.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, but I have never been there. I would absolutely love to get over there, and that's definitely on on the bucket list and on the list of things that I want to do and that we're we're going to make happen at some point. The Royal Albert Hall would be be unbelievable and some of my favorite artists have played there, and you know, growing up, I DVDs of you know, Joe bonamass alive at the Royal Albert Hall and you know Air clapped in and all these different people that have played there over the years, and it's just kind of one of those like bucket list places.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And like over in the UK and R and country music is growing over there as well. It's getting more and more popular and as a whole, country music is having a moment right now, isn't it It is.
Speaker 2: I feel like it's probably the most popular genre in the world, especially because it is so diverse in terms of the like production styles and music styles that people are able to bring into it. And I think that's because at the end of the day, like the lyrics and the writing of what people are talking about resonate with everybody, and they've been able to now produce it in a bunch of different ways to connect with new audiences.
Speaker 1: What do you think about the country crossover at the moment, the likes of Post Malone and Beyonce and Letting Isaacs.
Speaker 2: I think it's cool. I mean, at the end of the day, it's like if you can tell a story and you can you know, convey in emotion, I think that you know, I think that everybody should be welcome in country music. I know that there's a lot of people that are you know, against the post Malone and Beyonce and all that kind of stuff, But I feel like things have to change, they have to evolve. You have to be able to you know, grow as a genre and grow as people to to have new sounds, because that's what keeps things moving forward. And that's what, you know, innovates everything in the world is you know, being open to new ideas and being open to you know, expanding the genre and expanding our tastes. And if I feel like, if we don't like it at the moment, it's just because it's a little bit beyond what our tastes currently are, uh, And we just have to you know, accept and welcome that. That's how change happens exactly.
Speaker 1: And I completely agree with you, Like, why shouldn't Beyonce make a country album? Like, yeah, why shouldn't someone make a particular album a blues album or a Christmas album or whatever? Like music is for everybody, and you know, if you don't like it, don't buy it. That's what I say, you know what I.
Speaker 2: Mean totally and as like a creative I feel like you want to continue to expand what you can make. And I know I never want to make the same record twice. I want to try and you know, evolve and try new things and expand on that. And you know, maybe there'll be a more blues record in the feature, maybe they'll be a more rock record. But it's like, ah, I feel like as artists we're constantly chasing a different creative direction and trying new things and finding new ways to inspire us. And I don't think you should be penalized for that.
Speaker 1: No, absolutely not. And like I'm sure Beyonce, for example, is honing in on her first like like I'm sure she's sick of making the same old hip hop albums or pop albums a year after year after years, she probably gets boring. Why shouldn't she try something new and get outside of your comfort zone and try something new, you know, And totally that's what it's all about.
Speaker 2: I respect that a lot.
Speaker 1: And as we're talking about like new country artists at the moment, I definitely like the likes of Lane Brilliance and she's so good live as well.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Lane Wilson's fantastic. She puts on a great show, great energy, fantastic voice.
Speaker 1: Going back to Canadian artists, have you heard of oc Elliott? Oh?
Speaker 2: C Elliott definitely don't believe.
Speaker 1: So they're not country at all. They're kind of focused. Their very melancholy. But they're from out of BC, Okay. And I've seen them live and they a couple of times now, and they were playing in Calgary a few months ago, and it's very like, sit down and enjoy their voices kind of thing in the harmonies and everything. They're so good, like it's something different again, you know.
Speaker 2: Oh see Elliott, that's what you said.
Speaker 1: Yeah, o Ce Elliott definitely.
Speaker 2: Gonna write it. I'm gonna write it down otherwise I will absolutely forget.
Speaker 1: It's John and Sierra are they're the jewet in oc Eliot And they do these videos on Instagram and YouTube and they sing in their car looking at each other and it's so it's beautiful. Actually, their their voices blend so well and it's definitely not the type of music you go to get you repped up on a Saturday night. Is more of a chill for you know kind of thing.
Speaker 2: It's awesome. I'm definitely going to look them up.
Speaker 1: Yeah, what is your favorite song from the Good Things album? Or is that asking you like your what's your favorite child?
Speaker 2: That's tough. There's I like a lot. I mean I like all of them, obviously, for for different reasons. I think that one of the songs that hits closest to home for me is the last song on the record, Dying to Be Seen. I wrote that back in twenty nineteen and have been holding on to it for quite some time, obviously, if it's just coming out now. And I love songs that you kind of have to intently listen to and are a little bit heavy and take you on this journey of kind of realizing some things about yourself, and I feel like that song it just hits so close to home in so many different ways.
Speaker 1: His back Pocket the latest one to come out.
Speaker 2: Back Pocket came out back in February of twenty twenty two, actually okay directly on the original package. And wrote that one with Drew Gregory, one of the artists I was mentioning earlier, and it's one of my favorites on the record too. Again, I could give you a listen why each song is my favorite on the record.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's some great shredding on that one, and it's like, I'm thinking, ooh sound I love it?
Speaker 2: So yeah, that one was a lot of fun to record.
Speaker 1: Before I came on to talk to you, I got some fan questions and I'm going to read out a couple of them here. What's the most embarrassing thing to happen to you on stage?
Speaker 2: Most embarrassing thing to happen on stage? Oh man?
Speaker 1: For example, have you ever completely blanked lyrics during a performance or anything? Oh?
Speaker 2: Absolutely? I remember one time it was aactly We're playing a cover song. At the time, we were at Nashville North at the Calgary Stampede, and you know, there's five thousand people in front of me, and I had stepped back for a guitar solo and played the guitar solo, and then I kind of stepped to the side of the mic and was just playing, and my musical director justin hopped on the talkback mic, which is a microphone that just goes to our ears so that he can kind of communicate with us, and he was like, hey, what are you doing? Like I just kind of zoned out, was just playing but wasn't going anywhere, and I'd forgot the lyrics. I'd forgot where we were in the song. I was just like, I don't know, soaking in everything that was happening around me and just completely blanked. And he said he said some funny remarks on the talkback mic that I won't repeat out loud, but it definitely made for the good laugh in the whole band everyone on stage.
Speaker 1: That's funny. I love that if you had to form a supergroup with three other artists that our life, would they be?
Speaker 2: Oh, supergroup with three other artists as like us being the front people kind of.
Speaker 1: Man say, for example, like the Beatles, But.
Speaker 2: Oh geez, should I say? Probably at the moment, this is where I'm at. Anyways, well, it would be myself and probably Marcus King. Okay, and hm hmmm, trying to think Marcus King.
Speaker 1: I'm not familiar of your Your music knowledge is a lot bigger than mine, but.
Speaker 2: I would definitely check out Marcus King. He's a phenomenal singer, phenomenal guitar player based out of the States. Marcus King. Probably this one is like, you know, another Alberta artist, but she's just a phenomenal singer, has so much soul. Mariah Stokes, I feel like you have to have that kind of like powerhouse female vocal if you're gonna put together a supergroup, you can't can't, can't not have that. So I'd say Marcus King, Marias Stokes myself, and probably like Jarin from the Cadillac Three, the singer guitar player. He's just ripping in swagger and coolness and everything that it does, and I feel like that would just take everything over the top.
Speaker 1: That's sick. Yeah, I know that Cadac three, and they you have some bangers to really like them.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: The country music scene, especially in Canada is quite close knit, isn't it. You're all like a big community.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, it's a super tight, super tight community and family. And you know every year when there's the you know, Provincial Awards, the Country Music Alberta Awards, or even the national ones, the Canadian Country Music Awards, it's like it's like a big family reunion every time everyone gets together.
Speaker 1: Do you still do the Pass the Guitar, the Blue Jay Cafe kind of shows.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I haven't done one in quite a while, but those are some of my favorite shows to play, and I jump at the opportunity every time something like that comes up.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because I remember yourself obviously, and Amy Hef and Alex Huse are the two that I remember the most actually from Yeah, but it's been a while since i've been to one myself.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they're fantastic. They actually have a new location. I'm not sure if you know down at the they have a new venue in town called the prairieum Porium, Okay, and it's in the back of a motorcycle shop actually, and that's where they host the blue Jay sessions. And I think they have one coming up in the next week or two actually, like a Valentine's Day one.
Speaker 1: Right right, check that out. Actually, what have you got coming up? What's what's next for yourself?
Speaker 2: There's gonna be a lot of shows this summer. I'm really excited to announce all those. And then I'm in a big writing phase right now, So I'm off to Nashville next week for about a week and a half of writing down there, and then when I get back, we're actually hopping right into the studio and getting to work on the next record and starting to pick tunes and working all that stuff. So there's going to be some music coming out this year as well. And we're going to keep that train rolling.
Speaker 1: Yes, let's get through winter as fast as possible and get in festal season.
Speaker 2: Yeah so them.
Speaker 1: But where can people you up and hear your music and find you.
Speaker 2: I can find me on social media at Devincooper Music and my website is Devincooper music dot com and then on Spotify, Apple Music, Amazon Music. It's just all under Devin Cooper.
Speaker 1: All that good stuff. We'll keep an eye out for you and your your up and coming shows. Devin, thank you so much. I really enjoyed this chat. Thank you very much for making time to chat to me today.
Speaker 2: Oh, thank you for having me on. It's been a great chat with you.
Speaker 1: Yeah you too, and best look in twenty twenty five. And yeah, well we'll keep an eye on you. What do what you do.
Speaker 2: Next sounds great? Hopefully we'll catch you out the show here sooner than later.
Speaker 1: One thanks Devin, talk to him yeah to get Thank you again to the very cool Devin Cooper Leeds. You need to check him out. You can look him up online at Devincooper music dot com and if you're local to Calgary and the wider Alberta area, Devin will be playing in venue who's very near you across the summer. So that's it. I appreciate you guys for listening. I appreciate you so much more. If you like, share and subscribe to the podcast. It's tough out there, legs, and I need a love so till next week. Mind your subs. Salon last night.
Speaker 2: And down side at the bar and the music was loud, and you lean nask me, what do you say we grab a drink, go through?
Speaker 1: I said, where your friends go? You said there gone, Look got the Dansk flow.
Speaker 2: I love this song. Start of pressing your.
Speaker 1: Body and man does your boat Frando?
Speaker 2: Where you aren