Speaker 1: You're listening to KFI AM six forty wake Up Call with me Amy King on demand on the iHeartRadio.
Speaker 2: App KFI and KOST HD two Los Angeles, Orange County.
Speaker 3: It's time for your morning wake up call. Here's Amy King.
Speaker 4: Well, good morning. It's five o'clock this Friday morning. This is your wake up call for May thirtieth. Next time we talk on Monday, it's gonna be June. We're even closer to Christmas. H stop, thanks for getting your day started with us today. I have to tell you about one of life's little joys.
Speaker 5: It's for me.
Speaker 4: It's like when you do little things around the house, you make a little change, and then you look.
Speaker 5: At it and you go, oh, I'm so happy I did that.
Speaker 4: So my latest little change is that at Christmas time, I put up I took down or I took out the porch light and put in some twinkly lights along my walkway, well from all the rain. And they've been on for six months. You know, they started to burn out. So I got red, white and blue lights. Oh, because you know it's summertime. We've got Fourth of July coming up. We just had Memorial Day, so I put up the red, white and blue lights that now line my little walkway.
Speaker 5: I love that. There you go, it's the little thing.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we're going to talk about lots of little things, actually some really cool futuristic things with Dean Sharp Today, host of Home on KFI. You're gonna want to hear that. That's coming up at the bottom of the hour. But here's what's ahead on wake Up Call. Let's get going. Thieves have stolen millions of dollars worth of merchandise from a family owned jewelry store in Glendale Sound Familiar. Burglars got in through the roof, disabled security cameras, used blow terches to open at least two of the three safes, and ransacked Bedruzian jewelry. Another jewelry store in Simi Valley had about two million dollars in cash and merchandise stolen by thieves on Sunday. They also cut through the roof and then through a wall to get in. The Pacific Palisades City Council is going to spend two hundred and sixty thousand dollars for security in neighborhoods burned in the wildfires. In January, a thirty day contract was approved Wednesday, it could be extended. There are concerns that vacant homes are going to be vulnerable to looters and thieves. Now that PCH has reopened, Heat advisories are in effect for parts of the Southland, with temperatures expected to hit triple digits in some areas. The heated advisory is up for Santa Clarita and the San Fernando Valley. President Trump's plans to keep foreign students out of Harvard has hit a snag. ABC's Peter Harrlumboose was in the courtroom yesterday. He's going to give the latest on that coming up in just a couple of minutes. Also, we've all wondered at some point, right how long am I going to live? We're going to be joined by futurist Kevin Surilli. He's going to talk about how you may be able to maybe able to hack your lifespan and become a super ager. That's coming up at five twenty. Also, we're going to find out, as I mentioned, some of the new futuristic things you can get for your home now in the present. That's with the house whisper at the bottom of the hour. And then yesterday the tariffs were blocked.
Speaker 5: ABC.
Speaker 4: Stephen Portnoy joins us to tell us today how it's a new day for tariffs, at least for now, and that's at five point fifty. It's an ever changing, ever changing, very fluid situation and we need people like Stephen Portnoy to help us keep up with it. Let's get started with some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. Southern California is in for a mini heat wave this weekend.
Speaker 6: Wells Angeles and Orange Counties are expected to see highs in the upper eighties and lower nineties. The valleys and the Inland Empire will likely see highs in the mid nineties Today. Inland, Ventura County and the La County Valleys will be under a heat advisory from eleven o'clock this morning to eight o'clock tonight. There's a chance of rain and thunderstorms, especially on Sunday and Monday. Thunderstorm chances will be the highest in the mountains. Daniel Martindale, CAFI News.
Speaker 5: AH, this is welcome news.
Speaker 4: The algae bloom that's been making sea animals sick and even killing them in the Southland is.
Speaker 7: Wilting The Marine Mammal Care Center in San Pedro says the worst of the deadly algae bloom is over, with no new patients showing signs of demoic acid toxicosis over the last week. Birds, sea lions, and marine mammals have gotten sick or killed by the poison in the past few months. Veterinarians and care centers near the coasts say many were treated and able to recover, but it was the longest, most toxic, and deadliest bloom they've ever experienced. The MMC says it's expanding its facilities and increasing patient capacity as these types of events increase in intensity and frequency thanks to climate change. Michael Krozier KFI News.
Speaker 4: Two men have been arrested in connection with the kidnapping and robbery in Culver City. A man told police a couple of weeks ago that he was walking to his car when he was approached by someone in a silver FUV and ordered at gunpoint to get inside. He said he was driven to a bank and was forced to make several withdrawals. He pulled out about five hundred and forty dollars. The man says he was eventually let go in a residential area and was warned not to call police. A thirteen year old Fasin Zaki is the best speller in the land. The team from Texas won the Script's National Spelling be last night by correctly spelling the word eclairezizman.
Speaker 8: E C O A I R C I S E M E and teh eficial That is correct.
Speaker 5: He's so excited. I love that.
Speaker 4: Besides winning the trophy, Zaki gets a fifty thousand dollars grand prize. Brent Wood's Oliver Halkett finished seventh. Way to Go Oliver. He was eliminated after struggling with the word a roar, which is the yellow or pink tint given a white sauce by the addition of egg ye, ooks, tomato puree, or lobster coral.
Speaker 5: Who knew.
Speaker 4: Let's say good morning now to ABC's Peter Harralumbus.
Speaker 5: Good morning, Peter.
Speaker 2: Good morning Amy.
Speaker 9: Thanks so much for having me.
Speaker 5: Absolutely so.
Speaker 4: We got some more challenges for the Trump administration and its executive orders. Judge says, not so fast when it comes to taking action against Harvard. You were in the courtroom. Tell us what happened to Lease.
Speaker 9: That's exactly right. A really a big day for Harvard yesterday. Not only was it the school's commencement, but they got a big win in their lawsuit against the Trump administration, this one over their right to enroll international students. Judge issuing Saint she's going to issue a preliminary injunction protecting those international students. This comes to the Trump administration with seemingly backtracking on that policy. They issued a letter just twenty four hours ahead of that hearing, kind of giving Harvard more time to respond to the allegations and basically extending the window, despite the fact that they originally made it seem like this would be an immediate change, this inabillage to enroll internationals students. Harvard's president taking a job at this issue during his commencement address, basically saying that everyone across the country and across the world belongs to Harvard.
Speaker 4: Okay, so you were in the courtroom yesterday. Was it sort of a civil thing? Did they present arguments? Did it get heated?
Speaker 3: What happened?
Speaker 7: You know?
Speaker 9: I was there expecting a pretty long day of maybe an hour or two of arguments, but it went in about twenty minutes. The fact that the Trump administration kind of backtracked overnight ahead of this hearing, kind of changed the playing field entirely. The Department of Justice insisted that this was kind of a moot issue, basically that because the Trump administration was giving Harvard more time, there wasn't actually a need to issue an order. But the judge shot back saying that students were anxious, students were terrified about these kind of changes, and that some kind of order was necessary. It was really a resounding win for Harvard. They didn't really even have to argue in a way. The judge had her mind made up when she entered that courtroom, and this came just hours ahead of the school's commencement.
Speaker 4: Okay, so now, Peter, tell us, then, what happens next, because I'm guessing that there's going to be an immediate appeal, or is this this this just continues her stay against it while it plays out in court.
Speaker 5: What is I'm a little confused on that. No.
Speaker 9: No, it's confusing and tricky in part because the Trump administration has made it tricky each because you know, at the end of the day, this order, you know, offers some kind of temporary protection for these international students. The Truman administration has not going to be able to just go in within a matter of hours and say, well, you're not allowed to have a visa as a student here. But it does still allow kind of an administrative avenue for the Trump administration to challenge the school's ability to enroll international students. That's a long, lissed, tedious process, it takes months, and there's an appeals process, but the Trump administration can try to use that administrative avenue and that might eventually return them to federal court one day if the Trump administration actually seems to follow through with this. But ultimately, sources close to the matter basically told us that yesterday's backtracking, the fact that Trump administration gave Harvard more time and kind of loosened their threat a bit, was because they realized that they were on very shaky I legal ground that all things considered, they weren't really gonna win. They didn't have much of a chance, and they needed to amend basically the situation to have any chance of succeeding in court. That didn't help them at the end of the day yesterday they still lost in court, and they still gave Harvard more flexibility, but that doesn't mean Harvard's out of the woods per se. There's still that long term threat. There's still a threat of billion dollars of funding being cut to Harvard, and other threats like Sexuary of State Marko Rubio, for example, it is threatening at this point to begin clamping down on Chinese visa holders.
Speaker 4: Okay, so for now, foreign students can still apply and go to They're not going to be you know, thrown out of Harvard on a whim or Okay, so that's for now, for now.
Speaker 9: For now their sakes, But that doesn't mean in the long term the Trump amanie fish and can try different avenues. It's just going to be kind of a long term project. If the Trump administration is serious about restricting the school's international students Harvard. Trump was asked about this in the Oval Office earlier this week. He suggested that at the end of the day, he might be fine with international students at Rarvard, but he does want to see the number of international students reduced. He said that they should be no more than fifteen percent of the school student body.
Speaker 5: Ahah.
Speaker 4: Okay, all right, Well, we will continue to watch it, and thankfully we continue to have you available to help us sort it out.
Speaker 5: Thanks Peter Harlumbus have a great weekend.
Speaker 9: Thanks so much, Ami Tako.
Speaker 4: All right, let's get back to some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. President Trump's tariff plan has been reinstated by a federal appeals court for now. National Economic Council Director Kevin Hassett says the decision was not a surprise.
Speaker 9: Well, very pleased with the ruling. We expected it.
Speaker 10: The bottom line is that our US Trade representative, Jamison Greer, is the best trade thiker of the business that at President Trump's case is ironclad.
Speaker 4: The court granted the administration's request to pause a lower court's ruling that blocked most of Trump's tariffs on other countries. The US Court of International Trade had ruled that an emergency law doesn't give Trump the authority to impose tariffs on nearly every country. Speaking of other countries, Treasury Secretary Scott Bessant says trade talks with China have stalled.
Speaker 9: I believe that we will be having more talks with them in the next few weeks.
Speaker 4: Essen says he thinks there may be a phone call at some point between President Trump and Chinese President Hijinking. Trump imposed massive tariffs on China's earlier this year, but then cut them this month to thirty percent for ninety days as talks between the two countries began. The White House says Israel has accepted a US proposal for a temporary ceasefire with Hamas in Gaza. White House Press Secretary Caroline Levitt says Special Envoy Steve Whitcoff and President Trump submitted the ceasefire proposal that Israel has backed and supported.
Speaker 11: Israel signed off on this proposal before it was sent to Hamas. I can also confirm that those discussions are continuing, and we hope that a ceasefire in Gaza will take place so we can return all of the hostages.
Speaker 4: Home AMAS officials say they wanted to study the proposal more closely before giving a formal answer. It comes days after Israel killed tamas's top leader in Gaza, Mohammed Sinwar. The Department of Justice is dropping criminal charges against Boeing after the company agreed to pay over a billion dollars to avoid prosecution. The charges are related to the crashes of two Boeing seven thirty seven Max Passenger jets six years ago. A lawyer for the families says they received a letter yesterday informing them that the charges against Boeing were being dismissed. United and Jet Blue if teamed up to give members of their loyalty programs more chances to earn perks.
Speaker 12: The airlines announced the new partnership, called Blue Sky yesterday. The carrier said it will give customers new opportunities to earn and use Mileage plus miles and True Blue points across both airlines. As part of this collaboration, customers will be to book United in Jet Blue flights on each airline's booking platforms. The deal will also see United Airlines return to New York's John F. Kennedy International Airport as early as twenty twenty seven, when it will be able to use Jet Blue slots for up to seven daily round trip flights.
Speaker 3: Debor Mark Kfi News.
Speaker 4: Former New York City Police Commissioner Bernard Carrick has died. He was in charge on nine to eleven and was later nominated to head the Department of Homeland Security. Krrick was also a bodyguard for Mayor Rudy Giuliani in the early nineties.
Speaker 5: In two thousand and nine.
Speaker 4: He pleaded guilty to tax fraud, was sent to prison, and was eventually pardoned. FBI director Cash Bettel says Kerk's death yesterday came after what he called a private battle with an illness.
Speaker 5: Bernie Kerrick was sixty nine.
Speaker 4: And millennials and gen zers are googling basic life skills in record numbers as they become adults.
Speaker 13: The search engine told Axios questions for things such as how to use a mop, how to set up auto pay, and how to do an oil change or at all time highs this year. And it's not just Google. More than half of YouTube users in the US say they used that platform to figure out things they haven't done before. As a Reddit user called it, the University of YouTube studies show schools or dropping classes like homec that train students in practical life skills. Mark ronnerch KFI News.
Speaker 4: When we come back, we have all wondered at some point how long will I live? Well, we're going to be joined by futurist Kevin SURRILLI about how you may be able to hack your lifespan and become a super ager.
Speaker 5: I like that little superhero.
Speaker 4: La Counties asked for a preliminary injunction against the operators of the Jaquita Canyon landfill. The injunction asked the court to intervene and order the operators to help nearby homeowners in relocating or updating their homes because residents have been complaining for years of the odors from the landfill making them sick. More than a week after La City Council gave its first approval to a revised nearly fourteen billion dollars spending plan for the next fiscal year, the council scheduled to take a second final vote on the plan today. The original cast of Broadways Hamilton isn't giving up its shot at a reunion. Stars Lynn Manuel, Miranda Leslie, Odom Junior, de VD Diggs, and others will take the stage for an anniversary performance at the Tony's next month. Let's say good morning now to futurist Kevin Surreally Kevin, It's something that we all wonder, how long will I live?
Speaker 2: Yes? Yeah, super aging that's what they're calling it. Super agers. And these are people who live not just for a long time that they live well into their eighties and nineties, but they've got the memory and the brain cognition of folks in their thirties and forties and sometimes even younger than that. So scientists at Northwestern University they studied these super agers using the latest artificial intelligence to map these people's brains, and what they found is that the older that you get, your brain actually shrinks or parts of it get inflamed, and that's not really a good thing. But for these super agers, the parts of their brain connected to memory, they actually had a thicker cortex than they didn't shrink. And so hopefully, as we are mapping the brain, it's really a map for all of us to be able to age more gracefully.
Speaker 4: So when somebody says, wow, check out the big brain on that person, they literally mean.
Speaker 2: It, yeah. Well but yeah, but it could be that they're inflamed and that the brain is inflamed, and that's not necessarily a good thing. There's another scientist named Dave Buner, and he studies blue zones and what are blue zones. That's parts of the world where they have a higher concentration of people who have aged to be longer than one hundred years old. And Aquinawa, Japan is the number one blue zone in the world where there are people with who have aged in a higher concentration of being older than one hundred Sardinia Italy is number two. There's only one blue zone in the United States, a country where one in five of us will be older than sixty five by twenty thirty. So we're getting older faster. What part or what can you guess? Do you have any guesses for your the one blue zone?
Speaker 5: It's your Belinda. I'm sorry, Loma, Linda.
Speaker 3: It is Lomelinda.
Speaker 2: How did you know? I guess I celebrate this. Yeah, while I'm talking to cowboy. Yeah, low Melinda. And so the one thing that scientists at Northwestern and the Blue zone people, what they argue is that they have daily rhythm and so they check in. So it means you're staying active. It doesn't mean you're Arnold schwartzen Anger in the gym with grandma and grandpa at the age of ninety years old. But you are doing something active every day. You're staying connected, you're eating healthier. But the staying connected part is really crucial. You're talking to your friends and family more and all of that contributes to your brain health, which you know, should hopefully motivate all of us.
Speaker 4: So by staying connected, you're just saying that by talking to other people and engaging, you're using your brain instead of letting it go dormant.
Speaker 2: Yeah, which sounds really simple, but then you put the technology element into it, and as AI allows for individuals to not just get their heart scans and better information for different you know, checkups at the doctor. Hopefully we're moving to a world where you're getting your brain checked up and you're understanding, you know, not just if you're at risk or if you have the early signs for Parkinson, cementia or Alzheimer's, but you're able to track hey, this part of my brain is getting a little more inflamed, or this part of my brain is being is starting, you know, to develop signs for this, and then you can make a course correction. Because thirty percent, and this should motivate everybody, only thirty percent of longevity is genetic. The rest is up to us. So you know, we have to make these little choices that really have a long impact, not just on what we're how we're feeling today, but how we're feeling decades from now.
Speaker 4: Okay, so Kevin, before we go, just because yeah, I have a short attention span. So what give me like three or four things that we could do right now to kind of cheat the grim reaper and work.
Speaker 5: One is that keeping engaged. What what are a couple of things.
Speaker 2: Read read a book, read a book, Challenge yourself to read a book and finish it. And secondly is to be active. Go outside practice them, even if it's just for three times a week for twenty five minutes. Go on a walk. Literally, just go on a walk outside and get off your phone. And then finally, just stay connected human to human. Contact your friends, your family, show up, go out and hang out with them. Don't just call them, hang out with them and say engage, check in, stay with it, practice the daily rhythm.
Speaker 4: Okay, I'm going to go take a walk today. Kevin Serrelli, futurist. Thank you for the information.
Speaker 5: We'll talk to you all right.
Speaker 4: Loma Linda, way to go. We knew that because ConA, you live in Loma Linda, are close to there. I live in in Lama Linda. So you're to live to be one hundred and fifty.
Speaker 3: That's the plan.
Speaker 4: Okay, good h The Department of Homeland Security is putting hundreds of sanctuary jurisdictions across the country on notice. The Department is publishing a list of those jurisdictions and says each one will get a formal notification if they're believed to be in violation of any federal criminal statutes. Sanctuary jurisdictions do not cooperate with immigration enforcement. Of course, California and the City of La are sanctuary jurisdictions. A woman says her husband has followed the rules, but was still handcuffed by immigration agents as he left his asylum hearing in San Francisco.
Speaker 8: They pulled us apart and heard the handcuffs, and my husband is not a criminal, and so that just kills me.
Speaker 4: Shalen Ordez says her husband came to the US from Columbia in January of last year to seek asylum because of his sexual orientation. Ordas says the judge didn't dismiss her husband's case following the asylum hearing last week. He is being held in a detention center near Bakersfield. The man accused of stalking actress Jennifer Aniston and vandalizing her home has been found incompetent to stand trial.
Speaker 14: Two psychiatrists have examined Jimmy Wayne Carwhile and reached the same conclusion he's not mentally fit to face the felony charges brought against him and Eli. Superior court judge in Hollywood agreed and says the criminal proceedings will stop for now. Carwhile will get treatment. He's due back in court next month for a hearing on where to put him. He's accused of crashing his car into the front gate of Aniston's house in bel Air. She was home but not hurt. He also allegedly send emails, voicemails, and social media posts to the star of Friends Michael Monks KFI News.
Speaker 4: People in Santa Monica say they're fed up with the noise from Waimo's self driving cars.
Speaker 15: People who live near the cities to Waimo charging lots say they can't stand the constant deeping noise when the Weymo vehicles drive in reverse. They say they hear the sound at all hours of the day. The City of Santa Monica says that Weaimo has taken several steps to reduce the noise, including planting.
Speaker 3: Trees to create a sound barrier.
Speaker 15: There are also complaints about increased traffic and light pollution. From headlights with more Waymo vehicles on the road going to and from the charging lots. Mark Mayfield, KFI News.
Speaker 4: Tonight, the Dodgers take on the Yankees at Dodgers Stadium, with the first pitch going out at seven o'clock.
Speaker 5: Good to have the boys home.
Speaker 4: Listen to all the Dodger games on AM five to seventy LA Sports live from the Gallpin Motors Broadcast booth, and you can stream all the Dodgers games all season long in HD on the iHeartRadio app. Again that keyword AM five seventy LA Sports. The toxic algae bloom off the coast of southern California that's been causing marine birds and animals to get sick or die appears to be dissipating. The Marine Mammal Care Center in San Pedro says in the last week it has treated no new patients showing signs of demoic acid poisoning. A thirty five year old man has been convicted of repeatedly sexually assaulting his ex girlfriend's daughter in Santa Anna when she was between six and ten years old. Prosecutors say the girl came forward about the abuse after Sergio Erosio Martinez invited her and her mother to his wedding. She said she thought the fiancee should know about the abuse. He'll be sentenced in August. Millennials and gen z been turning to Google to navigate their everyday life skills. The search engine axios or told Axios that questions for things like how to use a mop, how to set up autopay, and how to do oil changes are at an all time high this year.
Speaker 5: All right, it's six.
Speaker 4: Oh five, it's handle on the news. A judge is going to weigh in on whether Mayor Bass is going to be subpoenaed along with La City council members over how they're handling homelessness. Let's say good morning now to the host of Home on KFI, our house whisperer, Dean Sharp. Welcome back from vacation, Dean, Ah, thank you very much.
Speaker 5: Ah, You're welcome.
Speaker 4: So today we're talking about like cool, new futuristic things that you can get for your house, not in the future, but right now here in the presser.
Speaker 3: This is true. This is true.
Speaker 16: Every year or so I try and set aside at least a couple of shows and we talk about new stuff that's out there that really could change the game, as it were, when it comes to your home or home building or some aspect of home. And we've got a really cool list this.
Speaker 4: Year, all right, so give us, give us a couple of the highlights. It sounds like you're you're fighting a bit of a cold as well.
Speaker 16: Yeah, I'm I'm a little nasally this morning, so forgive me for that. But all right, So right at the top of the list, super wood. What is super wooder wood? Well, here's the thing. It's not so much a particular wood, but it is a process now that any kind of wood can go through that makes it get this stronger than steal eighty percent, lighter than equivalent steal, and rot resistant, fire resistant, water resistant. It's really kind of an amazing idea.
Speaker 4: Okay, So here's my one question on this, because in the wake of the wildfires in La County, they're talking about how these all these fire burn areas are toxic because the houses are built with things with chemically you know, altered building materials, right, right, So is that does that superwood fall into that category?
Speaker 3: Not at all, not at all. It is wood.
Speaker 16: It is, in fact, in fact, the strength of superwood doesn't come from adding anything to the wood. It comes from removing something from the wood. So it goes through a little chemical treatment, and the chemicals don't stick around.
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 16: The chemical treatment is the equivalent to the kind of treatment that we already take wood through to create pulp. And what that does is it removes this part of the wood that are lignins and what we call hemicellulose, which are kind of the carbohydrates and the sugars inside the wood. By the way, those are the materials that bugs like termites like to eat. Okay, so imagine imagine this. Imagine you take a regular piece of wood and you let termites just get to it. You know, we've all come across it. That's got all these tunnels inside it, all these voids spaces where they have just eaten out all of the goodness inside this wood. What they've left behind are actually the strongest parts of the wood. And now we take that after chemically removing those areas, we take that kind of spongy, open, hollow wood and we apply heat and pressure to it to press it down, recompress those areas and get them to bind to each other again. The walls of those inner voids, and what we end up with is a wood that is unbelievably strong, no added chemicals to it, whatsoever.
Speaker 3: It's wood. It's just wood that's so cool.
Speaker 5: And is it available now?
Speaker 16: It is available now, just this year, just this year, And they're beginning their rollout now because they're talking about the possibilities of even creating car body frames, airplane frames, and skyscrapers out of this material.
Speaker 3: Wow.
Speaker 16: But this year the rollout starts with siding and decking materials and then it will move on to structural beams. So imagine this. You talk about wildfire areas. Imagine that you have an house on the open space edge of a wildfire area. Imagine the freedom you have now from a design perspective to say, you know what, I'm going to put wood siding on my house and it's going to be entirely class A fire rated because super wood burns at the same temperature that stone and brick burn.
Speaker 5: Wow.
Speaker 3: Okay, it's unbelievable.
Speaker 4: Yeah, okay, And you're going to talk about more about this, and I would love to talk more about this, and your list of things is all things that I want to find out more about.
Speaker 5: But we don't have time.
Speaker 4: I'm here now, but we will this weekend on Home with Dean Sharp, and that is Saturday from six to eight and Sunday from nine to noon. And I will be particularly tuned into the firefly petunia.
Speaker 3: They glow in the dark.
Speaker 4: It's a petunia that glows in the dark. Yes, and there's no radioactivity.
Speaker 16: No no. They've mixed it with a lubinescent mushroom gene and now they glow at night.
Speaker 5: That is so cool.
Speaker 4: All right, Dean Sharp, thank you so much. Can't wait to listen to your show this weekend again. It's a Home on KFI. It's six to eight on Saturday morning and nine to noon on Sunday morning. Cool things in the future that you can get right now in the present.
Speaker 3: We'll see you there. All right, It's.
Speaker 4: Time to get in your business now with Bloomberg's Courtney Donahoe.
Speaker 5: Courtney be Friday. I'm one of those petunias, by the way, I know, isn't that so cool?
Speaker 4: It sounds like it's going to be, you know, like bioluminescence in the waves.
Speaker 5: I got to go find out when we can get those, Oh, no doubt about it. I'm gonna be looking that up later. Yeah.
Speaker 4: Okay, So the first thing that you wanted to talk about was Disney, and I will tell you that I got my I got an email from Disney yesterday and when I was watching Disney Plus, a little pop up on my screen said, hey, we have some cool new perks.
Speaker 5: Here's how you find them. Yes, So what are.
Speaker 17: The streaming Well, the streaming wars are heating up, so Disney wants to get ahead of all of that. So Disney Plus subscribers can score discounts on Disney resorts and free items and video games. There's going to be contest to win a Disney cruise and a ten movie persary upcoming. Freak You're friend it good for you.
Speaker 5: I want a Disney cruiz.
Speaker 17: Those things are expensive, right, And but the program also includes discounts with partners like door Dash and Dual Lingo. But Hulu is also doing the same thing. They're going to debut their own perks program next week. It will offer subscribers a chance to win tickets to Jimmy Kimmel.
Speaker 5: Alive, Comic Con, and Lalapaloosa too.
Speaker 4: Okay, so if you're a Disney Plus or a Hulu subscriber, look for the deals. Like I said, mine popped up when I opened the streaming app yesterday to watch Handmaid's Tale, So watch for it in your inbox and also on your TV Screenhundai, I can't wait Honday.
Speaker 5: Honday.
Speaker 4: Hyundai good cars, low prices, but not quite as low.
Speaker 17: Yeah, because they're going to be shifting into a higher gear when it comes to.
Speaker 5: What I did.
Speaker 17: Sources tell us the automaker is preparing to increase the price of all of its cars in the US by one percent, of course, because of tariffs. In addition, Hyundai is likely to raise shipping charges and fees for options such as floor mats and roof racks. The price hike, the higher fees, that's expected to add several hundred dollars at least to each of the vehicles. So it's going to be a lot more expensive when you go into the dealership. But keep in mind the move would apply to newly built vehicles, leaving cars already sitting at the dealership unaffected.
Speaker 5: Okay, so you might still be able to get a deal.
Speaker 4: And the tariffs are kind of you know, they've got everybody nervous and thinking about raising prices and a lot of retailers are saying, yeah, we're gonna have to, but Costco's trying to hold the line.
Speaker 17: Yeah, They're flexing their muscles to try to keep the prices low. So the warehouse chain is taking a number of steps in response to tariffs. It's rerouting goods source from countries with high tariffs to other markets. It's sourcing more American produced mattresses, pillows, other items.
Speaker 5: Kind of like that.
Speaker 17: The retailer also pulled forward some summer products, which has helped Costco keep a lid on some prices. And of course it's been expanding the popular lower cost Kirkland brand.
Speaker 5: I love me a Kirkland product. Oh yeah they do. That's good stuff, no doubt. Okay.
Speaker 4: And then we've got the last trading day of the month, because my goodness, June is almost here.
Speaker 5: What are we expecting, Almahstrie, Well, listen to this.
Speaker 17: In nineteen ninety, this Billy Joel classic was at the top of the charts. And speaking of extremes, May is usually not a good month for stocks. There's actually an old adage on Wall Street selling May and go away.
Speaker 5: Everybody talks about that.
Speaker 17: But it's been a completely different story in twenty twenty five, and it's one of extreme See I'm bringing it back to that. The S and P five hundred is on track for its biggest monthly gain in May since nineteen ninety. The INDEXO swords six point two percent this month and we're now listened to this one within four percent of the February record, which definitely took a hit in April after the tariff.
Speaker 5: Swore rolled out.
Speaker 17: But as we wrap up the last training day of the month, it's not looking so good. The Dow Right now, Dow futures are down one hundred and twenty five points. President Trump within the half hour posted on truth social that China violated its trade agreement with the US and that immediately since stocks south of course.
Speaker 4: My goodness, it's just amazing how when he tweets something, everybody just goes, eh, hair on.
Speaker 5: Fire, and when the T word comes out, that's that's never good.
Speaker 4: Okay, Bloomberg's Courtney Donaho, thanks for getting in your business today.
Speaker 5: Let's do it again Monday. Shall we have a great we can enjoy? All right, you too.
Speaker 4: US inflation is cooled again, with little sign of any impact from Trump's tariffs. Consumer prices rose two point one percent for April compared to a year earlier, down from two point three percent in March and the lowest in September. A woman who worked as Sean Combe's personal assistance has testified in his sex trafficking trial that he sexually assaulted her over and over during the several years she worked for him. The woman is expected to be back on the stand today in Manhattan. Heat advisories are in effect for parts of the Southland, with temperatures expected to hit triple digits. The heat advisory mainly for the Santa Clarita and San Fernando Valleys. We're just minutes away from Handle on the news. He'll be talking about all the happenings of the day with his own handle.
Speaker 5: Take always fun. Let's say good.
Speaker 4: Morning now to ABC's Stephen Portnoy. So, Stephen, yesterday the Trump tariffs were blocked. But as we know with this administration, things change fast.
Speaker 5: What's the latest.
Speaker 10: Yeah, So it's a bit of a follow of the bouncing ball here. We have an important ruling by a federal court in New York, the US Court of International Trade, that struck down the tariffs on Wednesday night, and then yesterday the appeals court above that put a temporary pause on that ruling. I call it a temporary pause because we don't know whether it's going to last, and the court hasn't signaled one way or the other. It's just an administrative stay, that's how it's described, to allow for both sides to put in their initial round of filings in the case, and then the court will decide whether that stay remains in place, whether the state stays or the state goes, and then at that point the tariffs would again be.
Speaker 3: Put on pause.
Speaker 10: So for now, this morning, Friday, May thirtieth, legally speaking, the tariffs are still on that's the ten percent global tariffs the President put in place, and ultimately he's on track to have them the rest of the so called reciprocal tariffs supply in early July. But for now, it so back and forth, and the appeals court here in Washington, d C. That's the Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit, will look at it now separately, not to confuse you, but separately on a different track in a different jurisdiction, but still here in Washington, a federal district court, in the District Court a federal districturt judge issued a ruling also striking the tariffs down, and that will be appealed to a separate federal circuit court, also here in Washington. But ultimately, and of course, it'll be the Supreme Court that is asked to weigh in on this. One way or another. The administration argues that judges should have nothing to say about this, that the president has been given emergency powers by the Congress, that that was a law passed in nineteen seventy seven, that while no president ever before tried to use these powers in this way, President Trump has the legal right to declare a national emergency or several national emergencies, and deal with those emergencies in the way that Congress, he says, intended, which is to impose these tariffs to deal with this rare and extraordinary emergency that he says is now in place.
Speaker 3: The opposite side.
Speaker 10: Of the argument, obviously, is that it's not only not an emergency, but that the tariffs won't deal with whatever he claims is the emergency, that he's merely trying to accomplish a whole nother round.
Speaker 3: Of other objectives.
Speaker 10: That really is for Congress to decide the people's elected representatives. If the president had the power simply to have impose taxes by simply signing a piece of paper, what's the point of having a congress. Now the administration, what's the point of having a president if a judge can come in and say, well, blah blah blah. So look, this is about power, it's about who has the final word.
Speaker 3: It's about you know, what.
Speaker 10: The broader objectives are. But ultimately it's about the limits of the government, limits of the law, and we'll see who wins.
Speaker 4: Okay, So, right now, as it stands, the tariffs are not blocked, but it still needs to play out in the courts. No decision has been made, right.
Speaker 3: Oh that's right.
Speaker 10: Yeah, So this is all very procedural and early, so there's no final ruling yet. It's just a matter of where are we in the process and what do the judges need and want. And right now they say they need more time to be able to make a decision. So they're going to put the pause in places the pause of the lower court ruling to allow for themselves to make sort of an informed decision as to whether the tariff should be on or off.
Speaker 4: Okay, well, what's that We're going to pause our conversation with Stephen Portnoy because I'm sure that we're going to put it back on again very soon, because it's probably gonna.
Speaker 5: Change on Monday.
Speaker 3: You can count on that.
Speaker 4: All right, ABC, Stephen Portnoy, thanks so much. Have a good weekend, you bet. Let's get back to some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. Thieves have stolen millions of dollars in merchandise from a family owned jewelry store in Glendale, Burglars got in through the roof of Badrussian Jewelry early Tuesday morning. They disabled security cameras, used blowtorches to open at least two of the three safes, and ransack the store. The store has been in business for more than twenty years. Another jewelry store in Seemi Valley had about two million dollars in cash and merchandise stolen by thieves on Sunday who cut through the roof and got through a wall to get in. News brought to you by Simper Solaris La Mayor Basses announced a new way to help small businesses.
Speaker 12: The new centralized online hub is now available to help businesses access permits, resources, and procurement opportunities much more easily. Bass highlighted this during yesterday's twenty twenty five Procurement LA Summit. Last year, the Mayor's Office of Business and Economic Development started the procure LA program as part of an ongoing effort to support businesses compete for city contracts ahead of major regional events. The navigator can be accessed at business dot Lacity dot gov, depor mark KFI News.
Speaker 4: A lawsuit's been filed over a woman's headstone at Forest Lawn Cemetery in the Hollywood Hills. A man claims the cemetery engaged in fraud, breach of contract, and negligence when it buried his mom in the right plot but put the monument in the wrong place. He says he visited that incorrect site for years, causing him emotional distress when he learned the truth. The suit says he only learned of the mistake when a Forest Lawn employee explained the situation at his dad's burial. A case involving a cake for a same sex couple may be headed to the highest court.
Speaker 13: Two women in Bakersfield requested a simple cake from a bakery for their wedding in twenty seventeen, but the owner refused to make it due to her religious beliefs. California courts now say that violated state anti discrimination loss. Though a local judge ruled in twenty twenty two the owner's refusal was for religious motivations, an appeals court decided personal beliefs can't justify breaking California discrimination loss. The case could now be taken to the US Supreme Court, which has previously supported businesses refusing service to same sex couples. Mark Ronner KFI News and if you've.
Speaker 4: Been thinking about buying a piano, there is a pretty good deal at Loyola Marymount this weekend.
Speaker 18: The university sells its year old pianos each year to make way for new keyboards for the upcoming school year. The selection includes Grand, upright and studio pianos for makers like Steinway, Estonia, Yamaha, and more. The prices ranged from ten thousand dollars for an upright toime twenty thousand for a baby Grand Kim's Pianos at Orange County loans LMU new pianos each year, then sells them after the school year. You could see them through Saturday at lmus Burns Fine Arts Center. The sale is Sunday. Jim Rope KFI News.
Speaker 4: This is KFI and KOST HD two Los Angeles, Orange County live from the KFI twenty four hour newsroom for producer Ann and technical producer Kno along with traffic specialist Will I'm Amy King. This has been your wake up call. And if you missed any of wake Up Call, oh you missed a lot. We've got Dean Sharp talking about super wood that's stronger and lighter than steel, fireproof and non toxic. And then futurist Kevin SURRELLI a few simple things you can do to become a super ager and live a healthier, happier, longer life. Those are all things that you missed on wake Up Call if you didn't hear it, but you can listen anytime catch up on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 1: You've been listening to wake Up Call with me Amy King. You can always hear wake Up Call five to six am Monday through Friday on KFI IAM six forty and any time on demand on the iHeartRadio app.