Speaker 1: A forty million dollar gift. I feel comfortable in saying, well, one that I've never received a gift of that of that magnitude, and I probably won't because not many do. But that is a big gift to JCPS courtesy of Young Brands. It's six oh five here Conseucket. It's Morning News with Nick Coffee on News Radio eight forty whas. We've got the full crew in place. We've got John Ald inlongside. We'll have another sports update coming your way about twenty minutes with Scott Fitzgerald and of course John Shinn and just gave you his newscast and we'll give you another one coming up at six thirty. But yes, that was It's one of those things that I'm sure there are many that see a a corporation like Young Brands that has I don't know the exact status of how well they've done as a business, but I would say is a corporation that has roughly sixty one thousand restaurants and one hundred and fifty five countries with KFC, Taco Bell, Pizza Hut. I would imagine they're not hurting for money. So whenever they give a gift that is forty million dollars in value. According to Marty Polio of JCPS. I'm sure there are many that just think, oh, that's nothing, that's.
Speaker 2: The least they could do.
Speaker 1: But you should look at it that way. I mean, you know how grateful JCPS I'm sure is for this. I mean, this is this is big time. So it was. It was a bummer earlier this year in February where Young announced plans to relocate I believe one hundred jobs roughly in the corporate headquarters they have here in Louisville, and they were relocating those to Plano, Texas, which, of course you never you never want to see that anybody losing their job here in Louisville at a corporation because they're moving some stuff. But clearly there's still some presence here in Louisville with Young, and they're looking for a new location. So that's not only a good not only a good sign that they are still going to have major presence here, but also that's one of those things that I just feel like, Okay, who cares? And I don't mean like you don't care that JCPS is getting I mean, maybe you don't care. I don't know. I can't control or really know what you care about. But because it's it's Young Brands again, a corporation that is huge all over the world, all over the planet, it probably isn't viewed as that big of a gesture, when in fact it is. And what I will say just a reminder they didn't have to do that. There wasn't an expectation to do that. So thank you, Young Brands, and I'm sure JCPS has expressed their appreciation. And when it comes to corporations here in Louisville that have restructured just because of the economy, some of that happened during the pandemic. That's never good, right. You want corporations to have headquarters here in Louisville, whether they start here or they don't, because obviously that's good for the economy, it's good for the job market. And you know Papa John's that was a big deal when they decided in twenty twenty to significantly shift their operational focus where they were in Louisville with a big presence for quite some time. And now I believe the majority of those type of jobs or in Atlanta. I think they still have some presence here in Louisville, but obviously the primary headquarters is now in Atlanta, so that when that happens, man, that's a tough blow. You know, there's a lot of not only for those who have jobs that are impacted by those kind of decisions, but also you know, just for the economy. I mean, if you are somebody like myself who's lived here in this area your whole life, I mean you you probably know. I mean, heck, I know people in fact, my family, my mom's side of the family, they ended up here where my mom was born and raised along with her brothers and sisters, because my grandfather got a job at GE. I'm sure there are many people here that they call this their hometown because their dad, or maybe their mom, or maybe their grandparents got a job at a place like Ford. So you know, when you have a corporation like Papa John's who is here for quite some time, young, it could be the same thing. There could be people that now call this area their home. A generational kind of thing where you know, you got three generations of families that now you know, they they're here in our community and impacting the economy because of jobs that were created because of these corporations that had such presence here in the area. So it's been it's been an up and down kind of thing, and there's been some that haven't left. They've just they've just shifted to where you know, it's sigh of the times. And really I think we were already headed in the direction of remote work becoming more common in a lot of different industries. But what the pandemic did because we were sort of forced to adjust and just figure it out. I think it led to that speeding up at a rapid rate. That if we didn't have to just isolate ourselves and of course be locked down to an extent because of the of the coronavirus, maybe these corporations would not have learned that, Okay, you know, we actually can be pretty efficient and effective, and not only that, we can save money by not having, you know, such such space in certain areas. So anyways, for the those that just think, oh, it's the least the young brands can do, I mean, maybe you're right, but it's still in something they had to do, so I'm sure you know, they hopefully they get they get proper praise. All Right, we've got another update of traffic and weather coming your way, so stick around right here. It's because I can't as morning news on news Radio eight to forty whas as a society, I think we toss around addiction like it's like it's a punchline. I'm addicted to. I say things like I'm addicted to TikTok, and actually I may I may be addicted to TikTok. But there are modern habits from doom scrolling to I mean, look, everybody's got their own thing that they just casually say they're addicted to, and maybe they actually are. But this reddit thread as far as things that people claim that they feel that they've become addicted to, meaning that they didn't. They casually threw that word out there, and then maybe they're having this this self reflection, the realization that Okay, maybe I am I'm actually addicted to this. Here are here are some that maybe you will realize you are maybe addicted to validation addiction that is believed to be the compulsive need for approval, praise, or recognition from others. I'd say that's more of a personality trait, but maybe maybe with that you could you could chalk it up to being an addiction. This one is very obscure. But I don't know. Maybe as I say this, you'll say, yep, that's me totally addicted to nasal spray. I've actually used nasal spray recently as I've discussed my allergy issues. John, I can tell you, I don't know how you would become addicted to that, because that would I dread doing that.
Speaker 2: Maybe it's just the feeling for some people, the feeling you having a clear sinus, yeah, or something like.
Speaker 1: Maybe there's some kind of stimulation involved there that I just I'm not I'm not experiencing on my end, because I would avoid that at all costs. Shopping that can be certainly an addicting thing. Victim mindset. Again, some of these to me are more so just more of your personality than maybe your or maybe something that you are addicted to. Now, gambling is certainly an addiction, and I don't make light of it because it can ruin people's lives, just like being addicted to heroin or being addicted to alcohol. But I used to have this conversation all the time with people, and there weren't many and those that were opposed to sports gambling in the state being legal as if it was going to ruin society. I mean, I think the proof is that they were wrong. That's not to say it hasn't had a negative impact on certain people, but I'd say the vast majority are doing it responsibly and clearly it's been it's made money here in this state. But gambling can absolutely be an addiction and just as scary and detrimental as again being addicted to hard drugs. But yeah, gambling is certainly an addiction that is a scary one, no doubt. Social media, Yeah, I will say social media is one where I would say that's not a personality thing, that's not just you know, somebody that is I guess using the platform to try to get that validation and show people that hey, look at me, I'm doing this. There are people who I'm I don't know if I'm addicted to social media. I'm addicted to just my phone in all aspects. Just it consumes me and there's a lot of different things I do on my phone. But social media is certainly a part of that. And I really since I've been in this position meaning where I don't necessarily I mean, I'm no longer just a sports talk host. I now talk, news, talk and other things. I don't feel the need to be just keeping up with what's going on every second of the day in sports, so that i'm you know, so I'm not missing out on something and it's actually refreshing. John, you have a good balance with social media. I think you you you have a presence there. You realize that it is useful and really it's worthwhile for you to be on it in what you do in your career, both gigs that you have here and of course elsewhere. But you you know, you don't. I don't think you crave it like some people, which is good.
Speaker 2: I think so many people use it as just a place to just scream into the ether, and I'm I've seen that, especially the last several days with all the stuff going on with the strikes on. I've never seen so many people show their rear end. But you're not surprised though, right It doesn't surprise me. You have to learn to just realize that social media is full of those people.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I wonder what if this if the era and again I say the era of social media. It's more than just an ara. It's a huge part of our life now. But if in fact this existed in the sixties, seventies, eighties, would we I mean, how much different would society be? Because what social media has done is it's given everybody a platform to an extent. Now it's an echo chamber for most people, but maybe they get some sense of relief being able to just hey, I want to get this off my chest. I want to let people know, and they type it on their phone, they hit post, and maybe they get some validation there. But do people always have the built up I guess just I mean, look, there's a lot of bitch and going on, right, I mean, that's that's not all that you see on social media, but certainly that's a that's a big part of it. And what I hear a lot of people say is well, because you have social media, it makes you feel as if you have that you know, people care what you think. I don't. I think a lot of people post it without even thinking that anybody cares. They just want to get it out there, and they don't. And that's even if it only reaches a few people. I mean, some people who who you know, tweet post awful things that have like three followers and like just just text your friends who are following you, like you know, you know what I mean, Like, it's just send it text like it. You don't need to put all that toxicity out into the world, just you know, keep it internal. But again, I'm sure there's many that know or never even think about who it's reaching. They just want to get it off their chests. So any anyway, social media certainly is a real addiction. There's no doubt about that. All Right, we've got another news in traffic and weather update coming right In fact, here's I'll give you the rundown. We've got traffick in weather, then sports, then news. How about that right here on News Radio eight forty whas. That's right, a brand new batch coming your way. Here it's Kentucky and it's Morning News with Nick Coffee on News Radio eight forty whas. Thank you, John. So, when I was discussing earlier this big gift that Marty Polio estimates to be worth forty million dollars roughly from Young Brands, that of course they're going to move forward and hopefully get the green light to accept this gift. It's it's the building, it's their well known Young Brands campus that is gonna that they've offered to donate, which again I don't know if I clarified that earlier, but again a great gesture and something that I'm sure folks won't think is super generous because you're thinking, well, young brands, forty million in a building that needs repairs. You know that's nothing to them. And maybe you're right when it comes to just what they're worth and what they are offering to give away as a gift. But they didn't have to do that, and that's kind of what I wanted to emphasize a little bit earlier. But it's six thirty five here, Kentucky, its morning news. I do want remind you could take us with you wherever you go. Listen live on the iHeartRadio app. Also listen live at whas dot com. And if you are listening to us on the iHeart Radio app, keep us in mind. When it comes to interacting with us. You can use the talk back feature and share whatever you want and we'll try to get some of those across the airwaves here throughout the morning. I know I've been mentioning it here and there, and you know what, I've realized this is the more I do remind you that it's there, the more likely somebody is going to think, okay, well let me let me give this a shot. So again, it's there. If you're listening live on the IET Radio app. And I know there are some that don't listen via the app. They listen while they're driving and they just they you can still you know, be safe on the road, of course, but you can still just get out the app and just click that microphone button and you're good to go. All right, So I'm gonna put the one and only John Olden on the spot here right ahead. I'm going to play some sound for you that has been it's become somewhat of a piece of news. And there was something said in this twenty three seconds that was, I guess believed to be controversial, but I'm gonna play it for you and you and look, I'm just to be clear, I didn't I had to do some digging to see what the bit what was in any way controversial. So if you don't pick up on it, don't feel bad. I was right there with you. So just to be clear, I don't know if you're going to get it, but if you don't, we are in the same boat because I didn't find anything to be triggering at all. But come here, some people get worked up so.
Speaker 3: They disagree with you. They do, and I disagree with them, and that's fine. That's what makes America great, right, Pat Mark, I should rephrase that, yes, but yeah, I did. Opinion are perfectly Yes, that's a better way to say.
Speaker 4: So any clue What might have been is the fact that she said make America great. Yes, and so she doesn't want to come off as necessarily being fully aligned with mister Donald Trump.
Speaker 1: So the w NBA and you are correct, you you knew it, and I thought that could be it. But I'm just thinking, well, first of all, it wasn't an endorsement for the president in his branding his slogan of make America Great Again. No, I mean, I think you can say that makes America great and it and it not have anything to do with Donald Trump, because I would assume there are many that regardless of your political affiliation or your hatred or love for Donald Trump, we can say America is great, or that's what makes America great? How great is America? You can you can really put it together in a variety of ways, and it might it might make you think of the make America Great slogan of course MAGA, or it could just be something that you know, you don't even think about because Donald Trump doesn't consume you one way or the other, good or bad, love or hate. And that I mean that I was beside myself to see that that that this became a thing that the WNBA, I mean they somebody who covers the WNBA clipped this from a broad cast recently. This was the Indiana Las Vegas WNBA game that was on ESPN, and it wasn't because let me give you two examples Clay Travis, which of course you hear on news radio eight forty whs Clay and Buck. They're here on from noon to three. And clearly I think everybody knows which side they lie on and what their their beliefs are politically and who they support. So I saw Klay Travis's post with this and it says wa announcer says, quote, that's what makes America great, then apologizes and rephrases after awkward silence from co announcer who was upset with her word choice, and he says most WNBA media move possible. Well, the initial reason this became a thing is because somebody I guess that's on the complete opposite side was get a load of this. Can you believe what this announcer said and then had to rephrase? I mean, like the fact that it is so triggering is really sad. But also I think there's a level of delusion to think that even those that did maybe aren't proach Trump or aren't far right, would hear that and think, oh, oh my gosh, how I mean, It's just it's I mean, dare I say It's comical? Is what it is. But that's also just another reminder that he's effective at getting under your skin, right, Like I mean, if you can't just say America, great, great America in some form or fashion and it not triggered, I mean like he's won, he's defeated you mentally. And I don't even say that in support of him. I'm just acknowledging what's going on here. Anyways, We've got another update of traffick and weather coming your way right here, right now on news Radio eight forty WHAS six forty seven here Kentucky, and it's morning news on news Radio eight forty whas. Nick Coffee with you. We've got an update on sports coming your way with Scott Fitzgerald in about eight minutes. Your next update on traffick and weather coming up here in about two and a half minutes. And I will tell you I am somebody that does suffer. I guess it's my own doing. But subscription overload, let me tell you what that is. That is those like myself who have subscribed to many things just assuming okay, four ninety nine a month, that's nothing. How much is that per day? I can afford it? And then years go by and you don't even really know how many things you're subscribed to and if you actually need them or not. And to let you know this is really a thing, there's a new business, a new industry essentially of companies that will, I guess take the email, but they'll help you manage it, like they'll somehow be able to run a check to see just how much you are subscribed to what you need, and then you can somehow turn it off within their platform and it'll end your subscription. I don't know how it works, but there are now at least a few different competitors that are targeting people, Hey, do you have a lot of subscriptions? You don't really know exactly what you're subscribed to. Is it a trial that you signed up for and you forgot about. I mean, I'm guilty of that, and I like knowing that I have the ability to pop open, for example, like the Peacock streaming app on my phone, my iPad, or even my Roku TV, But I don't know if I need it, and yet I don't even really know what I pay for it. I don't think it's something that's super expensive, but I'm sure I could save more money than I even realize if I truly only paid for subscriptions, that my usage rate would justify me paying whatever it is. So there is a real subscription overload problem going on. This is according to c Net that the survey here says Americans average about ninety bucks a month, so that's about roughly one thousand and eighty dollars a year on subscriptions like Netflix, Amazon Prime, even digital storage apps like Dropbox. So we're wasting two dollars a year as far as the estimation on things we don't even use. So sixty percent of us are looking at the cancel button and twenty six percent have already pulled the plug on at least one of their services, because again, I think people are now realizing. For me, what makes me realize what am I doing here is just all the different apps that I have. And I've got many apps that I don't I don't use, but there's certain ones that I just when I see them when I'm on my phone, I just know, Hey, I'm sure I'm paying for that, and I don't. I don't. There's no scenario I need it because I haven't opened the app and forever it's got an update available for download and I haven't. I haven't touched it. So apparently millennials are the big spenders at over one hundred bucks a month, and then gen Z's not far behind. So yeah, just just maybe if you're looking to give yourself, I mean, imagine like what extra money you could potentially have per month on a dinner or I don't know, just whatever you want to spend it on by eliminating subscriptions that you don't use. Because again, even if it's five bucks a month, nine bucks a month, whatever, it adds up, right, and if you're not using it, you don't need it. And if you do need it, you can go sign up again all right again, trafficking weather coming your way, followed by an update on sports with Scott, and then we'll have another news update with John Shannon right here our news radio eight forty whas