Speaker 1: Welcome to Huberman Lab Essentials, where we revisit past episodes for the most potent and actionable science based tools for mental health, physical health, and performance. I'm Andrew Huberman, and I'm a professor of neurobiology and ophthalmology at Stanford School of Medicine, and now for my discussion with doctor Kyle Gillette.
Speaker 2: Doctor Gillette, great to have you back, Great to be back.
Speaker 3: Thank you.
Speaker 1: I'd like to begin with a question about what all males ought to do in order to optimize their hormones. What should they be doing, what should they avoid doing? If the goal is to have a long arc of healthy hormone optimization throughout the lifespan, there's many things that you should do.
Speaker 3: An analogy that I often make is when there's a brand new car that comes off the assembly line, you do a full scope of diagnostic workup, hook it up to the computer. And I think we should do the same thing with humans as well. Dear, in puberty, you know, obviously you're a functioning human, but I would say there's still development, and I think the human always develops. I don't think development ever ends, but you want to monitor that progress across a person's lifespan.
Speaker 1: What do you think are the key things to look for in blood work? I mean, testosterone is always the topic that comes up in the context of male hormone optimization, but certainly there are a lot of other hormones that are important as well.
Speaker 3: And with testosterone, you want to get either testosterone in an SHBG or a free testosterone.
Speaker 1: Could you define SHBG for our listeners please.
Speaker 3: It is sex hormone binding globulin. It is the protein that binds up all androgens and estrogen to the body. So the stronger the androgen, the stronger it binds. During puberty, strong androgens, especially DHT, which is the strongest bioidentical androgen, has a huge role a prominent role in secondary sexual characteristics. And if your SHBG is very high, then your DHT can run higher because it's not metabolized, but there's not quite as much free DHD, So you want to balance between a high enough free DHD and a high enough TOTALDHD.
Speaker 1: So, assuming that there's no major intervention, how often do you recommend that people get their blood work done.
Speaker 3: Using shared decision making with their physician. Usually a good followup is about six months.
Speaker 1: So on a daily basis, maybe you could just take us through the arc of a day and push out some of the protocols that you use or the things that you'd like to see your male patients use in order to try and optimize their hormones.
Speaker 2: S goattus.
Speaker 3: I'll briefly touch on some of the lifestyle pillars to start diet and exercise, or the first two. In puberty. Sleep is particularly important, of course, but with diet and exercise throughout a lifespan, you want to not exclude things that are helping you. For example, during puberty, if you're consuming dairy and then all of a sudden you cut out all dairy, dairy can help increase IGF one and free IGF one.
Speaker 1: And justin for our audience, maybe you just mentioned what I What having enough IGF one can do for us that's beneficial is.
Speaker 3: It helps you grow. It helps with genital development, secondary sexual characteristics and long bone growth, skin growth, hair growth, a host of things.
Speaker 1: So getting an array of nutrients that include dairy. What other sorts of nutrients are important during development?
Speaker 3: You want to have adequate vitamin D. Vitamin D helps with testosterone production, It helps again with bone mineralization and stature after an age of about twenty five, and there's not a strict cutoff, but up to about an age of twenty five. Optimizing your growth hormone and IGF one helps with bone density and bone growth. So from the dietary standpoint, you want to have enough free estrogen, not too much when you're growing, but you want to help basically stockpile bone to prevent a risk of osteoporosis or thin bones fractures when you're older.
Speaker 1: I realize that some of this relates to ethics and allergies and things of that sort, But would you say that, on balance, that most people would benefit from eating a combination of quality proteins from animal sources and non animal sources fruits, vegetables, and starches. I mean, what do you think, for instance, about people following a pure carnivore or a very pure vegan diet in their twenties and thirties.
Speaker 3: In their late twenties, it might be a reasonable option. In early twenties and certainly teens, it is a horrible idea because it is likely to significantly decrease your free androgens, so you will have less testosterone actin on receptors through the body.
Speaker 1: Are there any other micronutrients or macronutrients that people in their twenties and thirties should emphasize.
Speaker 3: Fiber is going to be paramount in kind of like setting your set point of your gut microbiome the rest of your life. There is prebiotic fiber, which you could think of as fish food for your good gut microbiome. Your gut microbiomes kind of like an aquarium or a fish tank. Any fiber or food that you're putting in your gut, it's either going to it's going to skew your gut microbiome towards something that is more beneficial or more detrimental.
Speaker 1: And would you say that the prebiotic fiber and getting essential fatty acids that would be important to do throughout the lifespan or just for the people in their twenties.
Speaker 3: And thirties throughout the lifespan, particularly important in the teenage, twenties thirties because it helps with brain development. You're certainly more of an expert than me when it comes to brain development, but it does continue to develop really throughout the lifespan, but certainly through the twenties and thirties as well.
Speaker 1: In a previous discussion of ours, I asked you about caloric restriction and testosterone, and if I recall correctly, the idea was that if somebody is overweight they have an excess fat at a post tissue, then getting rid of some of that at a post tissue but through chloric restriction and exercise, provided it's done not too fast in a healthy way, is going to be beneficial for testosterone in the long run. But that for individual who are not carrying an excess of body fat, caloric restriction is actually going to lower testosterone. First of all, do I have that correct? And second are there any addendums to that that you'd like to give us?
Speaker 3: Now that's correct. If you look at an individual in a caloric deficit, several changes will happen. One is that they'll have less building blocks for hormones. Another is that they will be in a catabolic state more often, so that balance of anabolism and catabolism will be different. They'll likely have less signaling from growth hormone and IGF one, and they'll also have the high SHBG that we defined earlier as the binding protein. So there are free androgens and free estrogens will go down.
Speaker 1: Now, what are some of the other pillars of creating the proper environment for hormone optimization?
Speaker 3: Stress is probably the next one. During both puberty but also the twenties and thirties, individuals are figuring out how they want to cope with stress and also figuring out what they want to choose to put their effort into. So if someone is overstressed, then they can have it, can put all the other lifestyle pillars, and then they stop dieting, well, they stop exercising, and everything else can go askew.
Speaker 2: What would it be some of the additional things that everybody should do.
Speaker 3: Another one is finding what your purpose is in life. So I call this spirit, but it's really just a self actualization component of Maslow's hierarchy of needs, which is basically your physical needs, your mental needs, and then your purpose in life, what you really like to do.
Speaker 1: The idea is not to pick the end goal, is to pick a goal and then once you reach that goal, to assess and then pick another goal and so on. I think sometimes when people hear about picking a purpose of like, oh, my goodness, I have to define sort of like naming oneself that you actually can change your goals and purpose over time. I'd like to take a quick break and acknowledge one of our sponsors, Element Element is an electrolyte drink that has everything you need and nothing you don't. That means the electrolytes sodium, magnesium, and potassium in the correct amounts, but no sugar. Proper hydration is critical for optimal brain and body function. Even a slight degree of dehydration can diminish cognitive and physical performance. It's also important that you get adequate electrolytes. The electrolytes sodium, magnesium and potassium are vital for functioning of all the cells in your body, especially your neurons or your nerve cells. Drinking Element dissolved in water makes it very easy to ensure that you're getting adequate hydration and adequate electrolytes. To make sure that I'm getting proper amounts of hydration and electrolytes, I dissolve one packet of Element in about sixteen to thirty two ounces of water when I first wake up in the morning, and I drink that basically first thing in the morning. I'll also drink Element dissolved in water during any kind of physical exercise. That I'm doing, especially on hot days when I'm sweating a lot and losing water and electrolytes. Element has a bunch of great tasting flavors. I love the raspberry, I love the citrus flavor. Right now, Element has a limited addition lemonade flavor is absolutely delicious. I hate to say that I love one more than all the others, but this lemonade flavor is right up there with my favorite other one, which is raspberry or watermelon.
Speaker 2: Again, I can't pick just one flavor. I love them all.
Speaker 1: If you'd like to try Element, you can go to drink Element dot com slash Huberman spelled drink lmnt dot com slash Huberman to claim a free Element sample pack with a purchase of any Element drink mix. Again, that's drink Element dot com slash Huberman to claim a free sample pack. I'd like to return to the key things that people should do, or I should say the key things that men should do to optimize their hormones. What do you think is a healthy, sustainable exercise regimen that anyone can follow that will also support their hormone status.
Speaker 3: For really vigorous exercise, around three to four times a week is very sustainable over a long period of time. On top of that, you could add in three or four more instances of less vigorous exercise. When they study the effect of exercise, specifically vigorous exercise, one area that's been studied is vigorous exercise episodes lasting longer than an hour, and they usually track it by a rating of perceived exertion, which isn't perfect and it's not extremely actionable, but it's helpful for clinical science. But the takeaway from that is basically, do not. It is not hormonally helpful to train, especially regularly, train vigorously for longer than an hour.
Speaker 1: These days, for better or for worse, I think for worse, younger guys are asking about and using testosterone replacement therapy so called TRT.
Speaker 2: Why in the world.
Speaker 1: Would any male in his teens or twenties or even thirties, whose blood levels of testosterone and estrogen are at the appropriate levels, meaning within the normal reference range, why would they take exogic testosterone Given all the negative effects on fertility, some of the challenges that it can present, if the dosages aren't quite right, et cetera, why would they do that? Certainly, if they are not being paid for a particular endeavor, like they're not making money. If they are playing a sports chances are they're not allowed to do that anyway. It's it's on the band substances list. So to me it just seems like a crazy idea. But then again, I'm of a generation that really hasn't thought about doing that stuff until people were in their forties and fifties or even never. So is there ever a case for somebody in their twenties or thirties to take testosterone? But if their blood levels are within the three hundred to nine hundred nanograms per desolat er reference range.
Speaker 3: You know, everyone has their different reason as far as like when does the benefit outweigh the detriment? Not very often if you're in your twenties, and certainly probably almost hardly never. There's always, you know, rare cases like Coleman syndrome and whatnot, but almost never if you're very young.
Speaker 1: Okay, So for people in their twenties, thirties and beyond forties, et cetera. Whose testosterone and estrogen levels are at the appropriate ratios and within the normal reference range libido energy recovery, etc. Are feeling at least workable for their lifestyle. For those people, what can they do besides get great sleep, train but not too hard or too often, et cetera, et cetera. What are some of the things in the realm of supplementation that can help them optimize their testosterone and estrogen without suppressing their own indogenous production of testosterone and estrogen.
Speaker 3: Let's mention. Creatine is the first one. Creatine is interesting because it has multiple different effects. That helps with amino acid synthesis. It also helps with oxidative stress. It can also serve as the backup fuel tank for your monochondria, so kind of holding backup atp and it does slightly increase total testosterone and it also increases the conversion of testosterone to die hydro testosterone, so potentially it's especially useful in men in their even their teenage years and their twenties.
Speaker 1: You mentioned the conversion of testosterone to dihydrag testosterone, and there is mythology out there that creatine can increase hair loss. I'm guessing because there's at least one study showing that creatine can increase DHD dihydrad estosterone and DHD is one of the primary hormones that can promote male pattern baldness. So the question therefore is does create creatine supplementation increase the rate of hair.
Speaker 3: Loss in each individual? Preventing hair loss is a very poor reason to creatine because it's not going to take you to a supra physiologic level. It's not going to increase your androgens to an unnormal level of binding. So I feel like this, if that was a reason to not take creatine for hair loss, then.
Speaker 1: That means sorry, you mean hair loss is not a reason to avoid taking creatine.
Speaker 3: Correct hair loss is not a reason to avoid taking creatine. Think of it as just bringing you to what you are naturally inclined to have. If your conversion of testosterone to DHD is already high, then often creatine does not affect this. It just kind of resets your balance between testosterone being aromatized to estrogen or being five alpha reduced DHT. So it's not going to speed up hair loss more than just naturally being a male does. So in some individuals, it will have no effect. In some individuals for whatever reason, they have almost no five alpha reductase activity. It will return them to natural or normal.
Speaker 1: So what other supplement based tools. Can people consider.
Speaker 3: Another one we can loop in with creatine is beta en. Some people are non responders to creatines. You can increase that to ten grams, or you can use its cousin beta en to help with amino acid synthesis and shunting of energy. Along with that, I would put L carnatine beta en.
Speaker 1: Do you recall what dosage people typically would take if they're a creating non responder.
Speaker 3: One to three grams in fact, So, yeah, several versions of creating have beta en mixed in because it helps with the processing of methianine and homocysteine.
Speaker 1: So if somebody is already taking creatine and likes it and responds to it, will raise my hand such as myself. Would adding beta en help or is it redundant?
Speaker 3: With creatine only if their homocystine is persistently elevated. And homocysteine is kind of like an inflammatory marker that can build up if you're not converting enough of it down the stream.
Speaker 2: How would I know just a blood test?
Speaker 1: So L carnatine, what are the ways to take L carnatine? I know that there's an oral form of capsules and there's injectibles, the injectibles.
Speaker 2: I think you need a prescription, Is that right correct?
Speaker 3: Do you need a prescript for the injectibles or you should really get a prescription for the injectables. When you inject it, of course at the supervision of your doctor, it's usually done intramuscularly. It's an aqueous solution, so it does not have like an oil or a carrier oil in it like tr like testosterone esters do. However, if you inject it to superficially, it's not going to make a rake anything. Often it just burns if you inject it subcutaneously, and it does not disseminate throughout the body as well. L carnatine potentially has localized effects if you inject it, if you ingest it orally, then it has a very low bioavailability, maybe only ten percent.
Speaker 1: So what are the dosages of lcarantine that one needs to ingest then if they want to get a benefit, Because I find only ten percent is being absorbed, it's probably a lot of L carnantine.
Speaker 2: How much should people take per day?
Speaker 3: Usually I recommend for oral L carnatine between one thousand milligrams and up to four or five thousand million, so.
Speaker 2: Wonder four maybe even five grams.
Speaker 3: Correct up to five grams a day if you're on that much, especially if you have a dysregulated gut microbiome, you should be concerned with TMAO, which is a potential carcinogen that both carnatine and coline can convert into, and your gut microbiota determine how much that happens.
Speaker 1: Is it true that I can offset any negative effects of alpha gpc colin that is NL carnatine that I take by ingesting garlic?
Speaker 2: Is that right?
Speaker 3: There's a compound in garlic called alison. I believe it's a L I ci in. It's also part of the scientific name the genus of types of garlic, and this can help decrease the conversion to TMO. Berberine actually slightly decreases the conversion to TMO as well, probably through alteration of the gut microbiome, and then just optimizing your gut microbiome can decrease conversion. So not everyone needs allison, but it's something that you should certainly consider. If you were on a HEIGHTE.
Speaker 1: I'm going to continue to take the six hunderd milligrams of gar like every time I take my L carnatine, But I'm going to skip.
Speaker 2: The berberene because berberine gives me.
Speaker 1: Brutal headaches, and it makes me create carbohydrates because it drops my blood sugar.
Speaker 3: It has many other effects, including the dawn phenomenon where it drops your blood sugar when you're sleeping and you can't even realize it.
Speaker 1: Okay, And what we did not talk about is what L carnatine does.
Speaker 3: It's a shuttle, so I think it's named carnatine palmetell coenzyme A. Basically, it's it just takes nutrients from outside your mitochondria and puts them in. It also has a unique effect, well not too unique because tadalafil actually has this effect as well, is that it increases the density of the androgen receptor and the cytoplasm of your cells. So even if your androgen receptor sensitivity doesn't change, and even if you doesn't testosterone does not change, you will have more testosterone binding to that increased number of receptors.
Speaker 2: Does one need to cycle L carnatine, creatine, beta.
Speaker 3: Ene, REO cycle any of those?
Speaker 1: What other supplements can one use to try and improve hormone profiles. And here I realize we're using a very broad brush because when we say improve hormone profiles, what are we really talking about? And for me, at least, I think about the subjective stuff. You know, do people feel like they are going to have more energy as a consequence of doing these things? Are they going to have the more optimized libido? Or are they going to have more optimized recovery from exercise? Right? Because I mean, it's not clear to me that taking one's testosterone from six hundred to eight hundred is always going to be a good thing, especially if estrogen is increasing in parallel. That could cause issues. It could certainly make things better, it could certainly make things worse.
Speaker 3: Right, Let's briefly mention vitamin D, which is also a hormone. It's actually a sterile hormone, and if you have deficient vitamin D and you replace it, then you will optimize your testosterone. It's also mentioned boron, so if you have a very high SHBG, boron can acutely help lower it, usually in a dose of five to twelve milligrams per day. It's not really a sustained effect, but boron is depleted in soils in many countries. I believe it's very high in soils in Grease and Turkey, so eating dates or raisins that are from those areas potentially have more boron. Boron also might be one of the reasons why the reference range for testosterone is much higher in those countries than other countries.
Speaker 1: And just to remind people that SHBG sex hormone mining globulin is attaching to the diesosterone molecule and limiting the amount of so called free testosterone that's available to have its impact on cells. Okay, so vitamin D three, I'm guessing you're talking about vitamin D three specifically when you say vitamin D and then boron five to twelve milligrams per day, right, and then what are some of the other things to optimize testosterone that are in supplement form.
Speaker 3: We can talk about things that affect the steroidogenesis cascades, So we could touch on ton cat ali. I know we've talked about that a little bit before.
Speaker 1: It and I'm guessing a number of people probably haven't heard that conversation.
Speaker 3: Also known as long jack and net upregulates several different enzymes in this steroidogenesis cascade and by that what you mean if and this is another good thing to google. I think anybody interested in a hormone optimization should understand where sterole hormones come from. They come usually from cholesterol, and they can be shunted off to vitamin D very easily. They can be shunted off to testosterone or estrogens or progestogens quite easily as well. But tonkat helps with the conversion of multiple key steps where you synthesize testosterone another I think of it as like a coenzyme or a cofactor. An upregulator of these steps is insulin and IGF one. So a good rule of thumb is if you are not expecting as much growth hormone insulin and IGF one, for example, lower carb diets, caloric deficits, you're trying to cut body fat or body weight, then toncat is going to be theoretically a specially powerful What.
Speaker 1: Sorts of dosages of tongua do you recommend to your patients.
Speaker 3: Anywhere from three hundred to twelve hundred milligrams a day with tongkat, you need to be careful with the standardization because if you're thinking about a general tonkat supplement, which is by far the most well studied. Then you're looking at the uryicominone content, which is a plant compound that is likely the main active pharmacologic effect. So that's the compound that's having the effect on the body. And if you standardize the uryicominone very very high, then theoretically you're having more effect at a lower dose.
Speaker 1: My blood work tells me that it causes an increase in free testosterone for me and also a slight increase in lutinizing hormone for me. What are some of the other effects on various hormones that you've observed in the blood work of your patients?
Speaker 3: Taking tongua ali tongkat can also slightly increase DHA And if you have a very high SHBG. Again, that's the protein that binds up your androgens, and estrogen's an extremely important protein. The higher your SHBG, the more it helps decrease it. So they've studied tongkat in populations with very normal shbgs and it does nothing for SHBG.
Speaker 1: Interesting, does that mean it does nothing for somebody overall? So if somebody has SHBG that's in the normal range, will taking tonguat benefit them in any other way.
Speaker 3: Yes, it'll increase their total and free testosterone.
Speaker 1: I'd like to take a quick break and acknowledge our sponsor, ag One. Ag One is a vitamin, mineral probiotic drink that also includes prebiotics and adaptogens. I discovered ag one way back in twenty twelve, long before I ever had a podcast, and I've been taking it every day since. The reason I started taking ag one and the reason I still take it every day is because ag one is, to my knowledge, the highest quality and most comprehensive of the foundational nutritional supplements on the market. Ag One is designed to support things like gut health, immune health, and overall energy, and it does so by helping to fill any gaps that you might have in your daily nutrition. I get asked pretty much all the time if I could only take one supplement, what should that supplement be? And my answer is always ag one. It has just been so helpful for supporting all aspects of physical health, mental health, and performance. If you would like to try ag one, you can go to drinkag one dot com slash Huberman to get a special offer. For a limited time, ag one is giving away a free bottle of their new Omega three coenzyme Q ten product. Omega three and coenzyme q ten are known to support cardiovascular health, cellular health, and energy, generally brain health, and much more. I personally take them both every day. Again, go to drinkag one dot com slash Huberman to get a free bottle of the new Omega three coenzyme Q ten with your first ag one subscription. What are some of the other hormones that you prescribe to your patients who do not want to go on testosterone replacement therapy or take exogens DHA or anything like that.
Speaker 3: We could talk about Fidosian next. Fidosia is interesting because it's a genus of plants. Fidosia agrestis is one of them. There's many others that are very interesting. That species is likely the most well studied. And it will increase LH, so I would not consider it an LH mimetic, so it doesn't really mimic it, but it increases the release of lutinizing the hormone from the pituitary. That's a hormone that binds to the late E cell, to the LED receptor, kind of like HGG does. And it will increase the release of testosterone.
Speaker 1: What dosages do you have patients, Steake, I've heard of some potential toxicity to the testicular cells.
Speaker 3: There is one study, and this is a rat study, but you can equate the dose of toxicity in rats in humans. They did not give these rats any antioxidants. But it increases a couple different like pro inflammatory markers. One is GGT or gamma gluten transfer race comes from both the testes and the liver, and one is alkaline phosphatase also known as alk FOSS, again coming from both areas. There are several different ways that you can attenuate this increase, and you can also just check to see if you have increased in the rat dose that equates with humans that had no effect. So the safe dose was an average of three hundred milligrams a day.
Speaker 1: So that would be three hundred milligrams a day in humans. Is the dosage that did not have toxicity.
Speaker 3: Correct correct, And often even if there is toxicity in rats, there is not toxicity humans, so it's not directly equitable, but to be safe, another regimen that I have people take is six hundred milligrams every other day or six hundred milligrams three times a week, often Monday, Wednesday, Friday.
Speaker 1: My understanding is that nowadays a lot of people are using testosterone. Let's not even call it replacement therapy, because some of these people have six hundred and seven hundred or even you know, eight hundred and agram per deesile to read, so replacing anything that is diminished, they're just trying to augment what's already there, increase what's already there.
Speaker 2: My understanding is.
Speaker 1: That taking a low dose more frequently is going to be more beneficial than the kind of old school way of giving you know, one hundred or even two hundred milligrams in a single injection once every two weeks.
Speaker 2: Is that right?
Speaker 1: And what do you do with your patients? So let me give you a hypothetical. Somebody comes into your office. There their blood work and they have blood levels of let's say, six hundred anagrants pertest or estosterone. Their estrogen is also a normal range. Everything else checks out, but they're complaining of, you know, slightly diminished libido, slightly poor recovery from workouts, maybe you know, reduce motivation and drive, although no major depression. And you come to the conclusion that testosterone therapy. Not replacement, but testosterone therapy might be a good option to explore. What's a typical dosage range and frequency of administration range that you might consider exploring.
Speaker 3: Some of this depends on the SHBG and free testosterone as well. So if that same individual had a very high SHBG, which again is the binding protein that binds up the testosterone and all androgens and estrogens, if it is extremely high and they have a free testosterone of two, then they might need a different dose because they need enough testosterone in order to have a normal uganadol free testosterone. But a general normal dosing range, especially for someone starting, is around one hundred to one hundred and twenty milligrams divided over the course of a week, usually either every other day or three times a week, occasionally twice a week. Many people with SHBG a bit higher can get away pretty easily with twice a week. This is assuming that the ester is sipienate or a nantheate, So.
Speaker 1: Two sixty milligram injections of tesosconcipientate per.
Speaker 3: Week, yeah, very common dosing.
Speaker 1: To hit that one hundred and twenty milligrams per week. As kind of the typical average.
Speaker 3: Erect and I would consider this like a physiologic yugan adult. For many people, even two hundred milligrams a week is far above the reference range. All of this is said with the caveat that testosterone is normally released in a pulsatile manner, so it's high in the morning, low in the evening, Whereas if you're on testosterone therapy, then you're going to have a steady state, so your testosterone level is going to be pretty much the same even in the evening.
Speaker 1: In your experience, when patients do that, they I'm guessing they report the normal constellation of positive effects, you know, improved mood, improved energy, improved sleep, recovery, et cetera. But what are some of the hazards or things that can crop up in blood work or just subjectively that can be warning signs that even a dosage of one hundred and twenty milligrams divided into these two or three dosages per week is too high.
Speaker 3: So this is when you really have to be at least well versed in every organ system, not just the ganadal like you know, genital system. You need to do have you know, dermatology, prowess, acne is very common change lots of different skin pathologies or even bruising can be related to hormone replacement. Hair Loss is very common to see as well mental status changes. It could occasionally it even induces a manic or a bipolar episode because testosterone is also dopaminergic and then cardiovascularly, not just in the heart, but also concerns for like microvascular a schemic disease, ferretin build up because the estrogen also increases, and then fertility concerns as well, and lipid concerns too, So you really have to be you know, hematologist, dermatologist, cardiologists, lipidologists, the whole nine yards.
Speaker 1: So another reason or set of reasons rather to if one is considering using testosterone therapy to really do this in close communication with a really good physician.
Speaker 2: Because that's a lot to monitor.
Speaker 1: Knowing whether or not you have acting or not is one thing, but knowing whether or not your LDL is going up, your ApoB is going up, that's a whole other biz and that needs to be done through blood work is what I'm hearing.
Speaker 3: Correct And if your physician that is managing or prescribing your testosterone therapy or your HRT is not well versed in these systems, you would want him or her to be part of an interdisciplinary team where they have other experts that can monitor those systems.
Speaker 1: There are males out there who want to increase their testosterone and other hormones, maybe growth hormone, et cetera, who opt to not take exogenous testosterones, no cream, no pellet, no no pill, no injectable scipion eate, but decide to take chlomophin a couple times a week. My understanding, I've never done this, I would say if I had. My understanding is that taking chlomophin maybe two fifty milligram tablets a week is what I hear people are doing, will increase what lutinizing hormone, the various estrogen receptor subunits. You explain how chomophin would benefit anyone, and is this a good strategy. I'm hearing that it's been done quite a lot now.
Speaker 3: It will increase testosterone in a dose to pendent manner, but it has many other pharmacodynamic effects, which is the effect of the drug on the body other than its effect on the hypothalamus in the pituitary. So in the hypothalamus and the pituitary it does what's called negative feedback inhibition, or it blocks the axgen of estrogen, so it crowds out estrogen from the estrogen receptor on the hypothalamus and the pituitary.
Speaker 1: Why would I want to take something that would increase the activity of an estrogen receptor.
Speaker 2: I just can't find the rationale for that.
Speaker 3: The main rationale behind taking a serm is as a very temporary measure that is not going to suppress pituitary or hypothalmic function. If your testosterone is just so drastically low that it is unlikely to recover anyone anyway. So most of the time it is not clinically useful and SERMs should not be prescribed very often, certainly not as long term testosterone replacement or testosterone optimization in most individuals. There's always exceptions to everything. But there's five different estrogen and estrogen related receptors. There's two main estrogen receptors and chlomid, and every serm has a very unique profile because they selectively inhibit some receptors in some tissues but not other receptors and other tissues. For example, Chlomid can inhibit receptors that are in the eye, and it can cause visual changes blurry vision, especially at higher doses, and it also acts in every other tissue with the body, so side effects from chlomid and other selective estrogen receptor modifiers are very common.
Speaker 1: I'd like to take a quick break to acknowledge one of our small uncers, David. David makes protein bars unlike any other. Their newest bar, the Bronze Bar, has twenty grams of protein, only one hundred and fifty calories, and zero grams of sugar. I have to say these are the best tasting protein bars I've ever had, and I've tried a lot of protein bars over the years. These new David bars have a marshmallow base and they're covered in chocolate coating, and they're absolutely incredible. I of course eat regular whole foods. I eat meat, chicken, fish, eggs, fruits, vegetables, et cetera. But I also make it a point to eat one or two David bars per day as a snack, which makes it easy to hit my protein goal of one gram of protein per pound of body weight, and that allows me to take in the protein I need without consuming excess calories. I love all the David bronze bar flavors, including cookie dough, caramel chocolate, double chocolate, peanut butter chocolate. They all actually taste like candy bars. Again, they're amazing, but again they have no sugar, and they have twenty grams of protein with just one hundred and fifty calories. If you'd like to try David, you can go to David prote Tea dot com slash huberman. Right now, David is offering a deal where if you buy four cartons, you get the fifth carton for free. You can also find David on Amazon or in stores such as Target, Walmart, and Kroger. Again, to get the fifth carton for free, go to David Protein dot com slash huberman.
Speaker 2: Alcohol.
Speaker 1: Does it increase a romatase the enzi on the converse distosterone into estrogen or not?
Speaker 2: And is there a dose dependence there?
Speaker 3: It significantly? Does there is a dose dependence? In general, I would not recommend more than three to four, you know, standard drinks. One huge glass of wine is probably five standard drinks every two weeks. The other thing to keep in mind with alcohol is as a lot of calories seven kilo calories program almost as much as fat, which is nine. And then it's also very gaba urgic, so it can activate inhibitory neurotransmission, and that can also affect how many how much LH and H is released, so that can also decrease testosterone, almost kind of similar to how opiates can decrease testosterone.
Speaker 1: I want to go back to the prostate and talk to you about something that's kind of a newer emerging trend. I know that you've talked to a little bit about this in previous podcasts that a number of men, I should say a number of physicians are prescribing low dose to dalophil also known as cialis, to their male patients, so in dosage ranges of like two point five milligrams to five milligrams per day, but not for a rectile dysfunction, but rather for improving prostate health, and presumably they get sort of a boost in terms of blood flow to the genitalia as well, but again not specifically a deal with a rectile dysfunction, but to deal with prostate health and blood flow to the prostate. Is that something that you sometimes often prescribe to your patients, and of what age.
Speaker 3: Toda alifil is a very underrated medication. The age would kind of depend on the indication, so ted aaliphil is also a blood pressure medication. It can very slightly decrease blood pressure, especially at higher doses. At higher doses at theorem a high dose would be twenty miligrams, not two point five milligrams, but consistently it can somewhat affect with the cones in the eye that have to do with red and green sight, although if you remove it, that effect is reversed. So basically, if you don't need really really good red green discrimination, you can take higher doses, but in general I recommend no higher than ten milligrams a day, usually just two or five miligrams. One other benefit or other use of tadalophil is that it increases the density of the androgen receptor, similarly to L carnotine, so that's an interesting benefit. Another benefit is that if you give it to people with nocturia, which is urinating at night, in general, it will cut the episodes in half, so it could go from two to one, which can make a big difference for your sleep, which will secondarily make a big difference for your growth. Hormone into stosterone optimization.
Speaker 1: Interesting, So you said two point five to five milligrams per day is kind of typical for these prostate enhancing effects.
Speaker 2: Yes, I get a.
Speaker 1: Lot of questions about drugs to offset hair loss. Most of those drugs are going to operate through the DHD system, the DEHYDRAGSI stosterone system for the reasons we talked about before, DHG receptors being on the scalp and causing beard growth on the face. Is it the case that a number of people taking things like Propecia and other things to block the DHT or disrupt the DHT pathway are going to experience diminished sex drive, diminished you know, kind of motivation and general vigor. And if so, are there alternatives like topical DHD antagonists that they might use if they want to keep their hair but not have those negative effects.
Speaker 3: Many people that have just a bit of predisposition, they can use things that are topical anti androgens. Ketoconazola is one of them. Caffeine is actually another one.
Speaker 1: Wait, you have to explain how this works. How do people get caffeine into the hair of ollicle?
Speaker 3: Topically, the caffeine enters the scalp and crowds out like somewhat crowds out the androgen. It is a weak effect. It's likely just strong enough to be clinically significant. Usually caffeine is put into formulations with other things like ketoconazol that are also weak anti androgens. Of notes, spronlactone can be prescribed topically, but it is absorbed systemically because the size of the molecule, So unless your doctor specifically prescribes that for you, especially as a male, do not use topical spronalactone. Topical finasteride is also a smaller molecule, so it is also systemically absorbed, but it is not extremely well systemically absorbed. If you take topical phinasteride, then usually your systemic DHT will decrease by about thirty percent. Topical detasteride is likely a tiny bit systemically absorbed, but it's unique because it's half life is much faster at a lower dose, So topical do testeride will not affect your systemic DHD at all, And I've seen this anecdotally on many people on topical do testeride therapy.
Speaker 1: On behalf of the audience and just for myself, Thank you so much, you have an immense amount of knowledge and you're exquisitely good at sharing it with people in an actual way, So thank you, my pleasure,