Speaker 1: Welcome to You Should Know Better with Mike C.
Speaker 2: Yelson, the guy who won't shut up about winning three times on Jeopardy.
Speaker 3: Welcome to you Should Know Better, the trivia podcast that tests your knowledge and a little bit of your patience. Our goal here is to celebrate the theme of continuing education. We should always be learning and always be on the prowl to know better. Now we will meet our wonderful Jeopardy champions and hear all about what rock solid causes they are playing for, and shortly crown one of them the smartest person in the world for one week. But as for right now, let's jump right into some questions and answers with our first of four rounds. Today tis our General Knowledge Round.
Speaker 4: Round one, General.
Speaker 3: Knowledge Thinking caps on champs at the ready, and away we go. How do we feel before I ask this first question?
Speaker 2: So ready? So excited?
Speaker 5: Yes, this is very exciting.
Speaker 3: That's just fun, all right, It's tied zero zero. It's all for charity. But here we go. Question one of eight in the General Knowledge round, what state is Beyonce from? And also what state is Taylor Swift from? Can you name those states that Beyonce hails from? And Taylor Swift. Two of the biggest stars on the planet the states Beyonce and Taylor Swift. What two states are they from? For question number one, Jackie, did you know this?
Speaker 6: I know Beyonce's for sure. I think I know Taylor Swifts.
Speaker 3: Okay, cool fan Testiche on to question number two. Who painted the Luncheon of the Boating Party back in eighteen eighty one? Back in eighteen eighty one, we're talking about some famous paintings named the artist last name Will Suffice? Who painted the Luncheon of the Boating Party back in eighteen eighty one? For question number two, how do we feel about art? Okay, so so so so, that's kind of where I'm at, so so on art. All right, let's do a little science. For question number three, can you give me another name for the North Star? The North Star has a couple different names that it goes by besides the North Star. Can you give me one of those? For number three, I just went to the Grand Canyon and stayed in these crazy, weird domes kind of twenty minutes outside of there, and one of the nights we did like a stargazing tour and it was just so awesome to be middle of nowhere could see the milky way because there's no light pollution. It was like, ugh, it was incredible beautiful. Yeah, because usually I can recognize maybe like the Big Dipper or Oriyan and that's it. So it was cool to learn some different constellations and whatnot. All right, are you ready for question numero quatroing it?
Speaker 2: Not ready?
Speaker 3: Bring it? Here we go. President Yun Yun suck Yule that's y Eol was inaugurated as the twentieth president of what country back on May tenth of twenty twenty two. I need the country. President Yun suck Yule was inaugurated as the twentieth president of what country back on May tenth, twenty twenty two. Need the country for question number four? Not an easy one, Yo n s u k y Eol? All right? Question number five is probably my favorite question of the general knowledge round. What chain restaurant had the baby back ribs jingle back in the nineteen nineties? Wama Baya bayback, baby back baby beck name that chain restaurant. They've brought it back even a couple times. I think in recent recent years they brought it back. But again for question number five. What chain restaurant had the baby back ribbed jingle back in the nineteen nineties.
Speaker 2: I did just mute myself to send it to myself to remember.
Speaker 3: Whatever it takes, whatever it takes to help jog those memories. It's crazy to think, you're like, oh, yeah, that was the nineties, that was thirty years ago. Yikes.
Speaker 7: Yes, I just got it by I mean, my thirtieth college reunion is coming up this year, and seeing that in black and white was a little starting bikes.
Speaker 3: Yep, mine's coming up the nineties.
Speaker 2: I wasn't even alive back then, and that's a story. We are sticking to.
Speaker 3: Fantastic. All right, Question number six of eight in your general knowledge round, name either of the children on the HBO series The Sopranos. What were the Sopranos kids' names on that wonderful show ran for many years on HBO. Again, just name either, don't need both, but just name one of the kids on the Sopranos for number six. All right, we are at the penultimate question here, Question number seven of eight. Rumy r U m I was a thirteenth century Persian poet. But besides Persian, he wrote in three other languages from time to time? Can you name one of those other languages that Rumy wrote some of his poetry in For question number seven, just bought a book of his poetry a couple of years ago. It's incredible. So again for number seven. Rumy was a thirteenth century Persian poet. But besides Persian, he wrote in three other languages from time to time? Can you name one of those other languages? And finally, Zooman write a long question eight of eight. Who was the first black woman and second woman overall to be the US Surgeon General? She was the surgeon general back in the nineteen nineties.
Speaker 2: Oh, I can even think of a quotation by her, and I cannot remember her name.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it might come to you. This could be one of those light bulb moments. Who was the first black woman and second woman overall to be the US surgeon General? For question eight? All right, pencils down. We will go over your answers in a few moments. But it's time to meet our wonderful Jeopardy champs all the way from Marion Station, Pennsylvania. She's an incredible author. She's got two books that we're gonna hear her talk about ones called Ballet class and American History, and the other ones called the Civil War Diary of Emma Mordecai. My new friend, Melissa Clapper is here today. I'm so excited to be here, Melissa. What charity are you playing for today?
Speaker 7: I am playing for penned excuse me for Planned Parenthood. Planned Parenthood is you know, a lot of people think they know about Planned Parenthood, and it does, of course provide reproductive health services, but it also provides all kinds of sexual health care services and just general healthcare to anybody regardless of income or gender, identity or orientation, or race or immigration status. And actually the statistics are something like twenty percent of American women and female identifying people will visit a Planned Parenthood clit for some kind of healthcare at some point in their lives. And the organization also as an advocate for public policies that sort of protect and expand reproductive rights and health care services. And it also provides sex education. And in a lot of places, Planned Parenthood is the only place that provides women's healthcare at all in health care deserts, and is also often the only place that provides sex education. So I am playing for Planned Parenthood, which is or going to say.
Speaker 3: That, can you use sport hell to the yes, we'll win or lose. We're happy to make a donation in your name to Planned Parenthood, one of our faves. All right, this guy's been everywhere San Francisco, Baltimore. Your opponent. You got another author, We got author versus author today. His project. His debut book, Gimme Shelter that we're going to hear all about, is coming out early next year. He's got to go fund me so you could keep tabs on what announcements are coming out and when this book is actually coming out. My new friend Emmett Stanton is here.
Speaker 2: Thank you so much. It's great to be here.
Speaker 3: Yeah. You can follow Emmett on social media at EJ Stanton International. That's EJ Stanton I NTL on the Instagram. Emmett, what charity are you playing for?
Speaker 2: I am playing today for RISK Training. That's OURSC training, which stands for Reporters Instructed in Saving Colleagues. RISK was founded after the tragic deaths of Tim Heatherington and Chris Hondros, whose injuries in Libya may not have been fatal if others around the new emergency first Aid and RISK provides life saving medical training to freelance journalists who work in combat zones. I personally took a RISK training in twenty seventeen which has absolutely proven valuable and for people who don't know. The vast majority of combat reporting is now done by freelancers who frequently have to take on greater personal danger or work with less institutional security, and freelances are often operating on shoe string budgets. So Risk provides the training free of cost because of the support and generosity its donors. So I'm glad we can give them some support and help out another generation of reporters.
Speaker 3: Fantastic. We're happy to make a donation in your name to Risk training, win or lose. Holy smokes, folks, you know are champs. You know what great causes they are playing for. But it's time to get back to the game and go for our answers for very fun Round one our general knowledge Round question number one of eight was what state is Beyonce and what state is Taylor Swift from? Can you give me those states? We'll start with you, Melissa. What did you get for number one?
Speaker 7: I think Beyonce's from Texas and Taylor Swift is originally from Pennsylvania.
Speaker 3: So we have Tejas and Pennsylvania. Emmett, what did you put?
Speaker 2: I also put Texas and Pennsylvania.
Speaker 3: Texas and Pa. The correct answer is Texas and Pennsylvania. One for one. Everybody, huge sigh of relief. No one's getting a zero tonight. We're all doing great. We have a tie game after one. I love it all right. Question number two, little art question? Who painted the famous painting The Luncheon of the Boating Party back in eighteen eighty one? Emmett start us off for number two.
Speaker 2: I wrote Jean Claude van dam Monet, and I wrote Claude mode.
Speaker 3: Ah, I like Jean Claude van damn money. Melissa, did you write the same exact thing that Emmett just wrote?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 7: I actually wrote, man, I don't know that's right, but I guess Mayne.
Speaker 3: We have money, we have Mayonne. You guys are in the right neck of the nape. It is a French painter, but it is Pierre Auguste Renoir. It's Renoir whose number two, And if you look it up it's like I have seen that. I'm like, ah, yes, that is a renoir. I think it was out here at Lachman. I saw it when they had some renoir exhibit. But yeah, the luncheon of the boating party was eighteen eighty one. No harm, no foul. Question number three, give me another name for the north Star, Melissa, Polaris, Polaris? Emmett, what did you put?
Speaker 2: I also wrote Polaris.
Speaker 3: Holy smokes. You both would be correct. Polaris is the north Star. They also call it the pole Star, so it's Polestar, Polaris or the north Star. Give yourselves a point? Doing great? Yeah? Question number four. President Yun suck yol was inaugurated as the twentieth of what country back in May tenth, twenty twenty two, so relatively new leader around the world. Emmett, what did you put?
Speaker 2: I think this is South Korea?
Speaker 3: South Korea? Melissa? What did you put?
Speaker 5: I also wrote South Korea? But maybe it was less confidence than ever.
Speaker 3: Who is it? Who could it be? It is the Republic of Korea or South Korea? Is your correct answer? Smarty Pants is over here doing great. I am not taking it easy on you guys. Question number five My fave of the round. What chain restaurant had the baby back, baby back, baby back ribs jingle in the nineteen nineties.
Speaker 7: Melissa Right, I'm going to disadvantage here because I keep kosher and I wouldn't been.
Speaker 5: Paying much attention. I wrote out Back Steakhouse for.
Speaker 7: Lack of any better guests.
Speaker 3: That is a hell of a guess. Out Back Steakhouse for this one, Emmett, what did you put? I wrote Chili's Chillies, baby back ribs. Chili's baby back ribs. It is Chilies. It was a great guest without back, but it is Chili's that had that earworm of a jingle that I was going to say.
Speaker 2: I sang Chili's, but I muted myself to save to everyone the embarrassment.
Speaker 3: Oh my god. It was when Chili's like first came on the map. I remember an uncle took me to one and I was like, whoa, this is like fancy dining. I thought it was so cool. From being a hill jack ribs, I don't think I had the ribs. I wasn't a big rib guy growing up, so I know I blew it. I blew it. I've grown to like them, but yeah, as a kid, I was like, I was that kid that liked you know, burgers and nuggets and yeah rib and a rack of ribs and a rack.
Speaker 1: Of spare ribs.
Speaker 3: Question number six was our Sopranos question. Name either of the children on the HBO series The Sopranos, Emmett, I have.
Speaker 2: Not seen the series, and I'm not familiar with the character's name, so I wrote allegra beautiful.
Speaker 3: That could be a point for creativity. Allegra love it gorgeous. There's not enough allegras out there. I tell you what, Melissa, what did you put?
Speaker 5: Meadow? I think maybe the daughter's name is Meadow.
Speaker 3: Meadow Jamie Lynn Sigler played Meadow the daughter. And then I forget what the kid's name Robert Eyler, I think was his name? Played aj Or Anthony Junior. Aj Or Anthony Junior and Meadow were the two Sopranos children, Melissa, big point there on number six. Question number seven. Rumi was a thirteenth century Persian poet. But besides Persian, he wrote in three other languages from time to time? Can you name one of them? Melissa?
Speaker 5: Arabic?
Speaker 3: Arabic? Great guess, Emmett, what did you put?
Speaker 2: I also wrote Arabic?
Speaker 3: Man, you guys are killing, crushing the game. Arabic is definitely one of them. He also wrote in and Turkish, so Persian, Turkish, Arabic and Greek. What couldn't he do? Rumy, good lord? What a show off? And finally, question number eight, who was the first black woman and second woman overall to be the US Surgeon General? Emmett? Did it come to you?
Speaker 2: I remember the quotation if I could be the condom queen, and I think it's Joscelyn Elder, but I'm not confident about that at all.
Speaker 3: Okay, condom Queen, Joscelyn Elder, Melissa, what did you put Joscelyn Elder. She's got an S at the end of her name, but it doesn't matter. It's Joscelyn Elders. You nailed it. You're both getting the point. Antonia Novello was the first woman and the first Hispanic woman to be surgeon general, and she was like right before I think Joscelyn Elders, So you had Antonia Novello was first, and then Joscelyn Elders came next. Jackie Gonzalez de Ruthie, how are we doing on the scoreboard after an incredible round one?
Speaker 2: You know?
Speaker 6: This.
Speaker 1: This round was fun. It was all over the place.
Speaker 6: You guys definitely were differing in which ones you got right and which ones you got wrong. But at the end of the day, it doesn't matter.
Speaker 1: You're tied. You're tied with six oh, six to six.
Speaker 3: After one.
Speaker 2: I have never been more relieved to hear somebody say the same thing I said. Done Jocelyn Elder.
Speaker 3: Yeah, six to six. Those are impressive score six out of eight in a tough general knowledge round. But you guys nailed it. It is six to six as we head into round two.
Speaker 5: Round two pop Culture grab.
Speaker 3: Bag Today in the grab bag, we're doing a category about movies, but it's world cities that are in movie titles. So all of these movie titles are going to have a world city in them. Somewhere. I'm going to give you a year the movie came out in a brief synopsis. You just have to give me the title of that film that contains a world city. So here we go. There are eight questions in the round. Here is question number one. This movie came out in nineteen ninety two. Ninety two was the year Jack, played by Nicholas Cage, loses sixty five grand in poker while he's getting ready to marry Betsy played by Sarah Sarah Jessica Parker. That's easy for me to say the wedding will have to wait. As the poker winner played by James Conn wants the weekend with Betsy to cancel the debt, she accepts whom will she marry? Name that funny film? For question number one. I'll read it again. This came out in nineteen ninety two. Jack played by Nick Cage, loses sixty five grand in poker while he's getting ready to marry Betsy played by Sarah Jessica Parker. The wedding will have to wait. Is the poker winner played by James Conn wants the weekend with Betsy to cancel the debt. She accepts whom will she marry? Name that funny film? For number one. This is kind of Nick Cage at his finest.
Speaker 6: I'm shocked that I've never heard.
Speaker 1: Of this movie.
Speaker 3: Oh my, you need to put.
Speaker 1: It really shocked a list.
Speaker 6: It's my genre, it's my people.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I haven't seen it in a minute, but I love this. I watched this a lot when it came out. All right, are you ready for question number two. Here we Go. This movie, a little more recent, came out in two thousand and six. A teenager becomes a major competitor in the world of drift racing after moving in with his father overseas to avoid a jail sentence in America. This is a sequel in a franchise. This movie came out in two thousand and six. A teenager becomes a major competitor in the world of drift racing after moving in with his father overseas to avoid a jail sentence in America. This is a sequel in a franchise movie franchise For number two, all right, question number three fantastic movie from two thousand and eight. After a job gone wrong, Hitman Ray and his partner await orders from their ruthless boss in Belgium, The Last place in the world. Ray wants to be name that excellent film. For number three again from two thousand and eight. After a job gone wrong, hit Man Ray and his partner await orders from their ruthless boss in Belgium, The last place in the world, Ray wants to be. How are we feeling after three of these?
Speaker 1: Okay?
Speaker 3: Okay? Number four? Moving right along twenty thirteen. This film came out in nineteen eighty five. Electrician and hustler Ron Woodruff works around the system to help AIDS patients get the medication they need after he is diagnosed with the disease name that film. For number four came out in twenty thirteen. I can't believe this is already eleven years old. In nineteen eighty five, electrician and hustler Ron Woodruff works around the system to help AIDS patients get the medications they need after he is diagnosed with the disease for number four, all right, number five, the most recent film of them all. This came out just last year. In post World War two Venice, Hercule Poirot, now retired and living in his own exile, reluctantly attends a seance, but when one of the guests is murdered, it is up to the former detective to once again uncover the killer. I gave you the city. Because the title of this is a little like what is the title again? I'll repeat it one more time. This came out just that last year. Post World War two Venice, Hercule Poirot, now played by Kenneth Branna, now retired and living in his own exile, reluctantly attends a seance, but when one of the guests is murdered, it is up to the former detective to once again uncover the killer. Can you give me the full title of that film? For number five?
Speaker 2: I am going through it right now, just mixing it up with other movies that have venice in the title.
Speaker 3: That's why I put it. I put it in there. The other ones, I'm gonna leave the you know the word out, but that one, I'm like, I think you need that to help because it's it's kind of a weird title. Doesn't pop into your head immediately, I don't think all right. Question number six, we're going into the wayback machine from nineteen forty four. Young Love and Childish Fears highlight a year in the life of a turn of the century Smith family in this film, starring Judy Garland and Margaret O'Brien. So again. This film came out in nineteen forty four. Young Love and Childish Fears highlight a year in the life of a turn of the century Smith family in this film, starring Judy Garland and Margaret O'Brien. For number six. Number seven, this movie came out in two thousand and five, after the Blacks September capture and massacre of Israeli athletes at the nineteen seventy two Olympics, five men are chosen to eliminate the people responsible for that fateful day. Name that film. Shout out to our friend Musa Chrisch, one of our contestants on our show. He's in this film again. Two thousand and five, after the Black September capture and massacre of Israeli athletes at the nineteen seventy two Olympics, five men are chosen to eliminate the people responsible for that Fateful Day. For question number seven, how are we feeling after seven? Better? Worse?
Speaker 2: Same ups and downs, ups and down the Kenneth burn Nothing is driving me crazy right there with you, blisso my goodness.
Speaker 3: Don't overthink in either. It's not like a crazy title. It's just something that like movie titles like poping your head and You're That one is like I just watched it, What is it? All right? This is another kind of deeper cut. I think we'll see how we do with this one. Question number eight of eight, your last question in the round is from nineteen eighty four. A Russian saxophonist played by Robin Williams, visiting New York City with a USSR Circus troops suddenly decides to defect inside of Bloomingdale's. What is the name of this film? From nineteen eighty four? A Russian saxophonist played by Robin Williams, visiting New York City with a USSR Circus troop suddenly decides to defect in Bloomingdale's. I remember our family rented this film and there was like nudity right away, and my parents were like, turn it off, turn it off, no nudity, and we're like, daw Man, what a bummer. But yeah, Robin Williams film from the early eighties name Matt Film. I know you guys will have the city, but like, yeah, do you remember the full title? Any repeats?
Speaker 2: If you could give me number one again?
Speaker 3: Yeah? Number one is the Nick Cage loses sixty five grand in poker while getting ready to marry Sarah Sarah Jessica Parker. The wedding has to wait, though, because the person that wins the poker game, James Cohn, is like, I want your fiance for the weekend. She accepts, who will she marry so yeah, it's like indecent proposal the comedy. Alright, pencils down, let's go over our answers and a very fun pop culture grab bag. Today we were talking about world cities in movie titles. Again, didn't take an ease on you. I got some he cuts in here. Number one was from ninety two. Jack played by Nick Cage loses a bunch of money in poker as he's getting ready to marry his wife, and then James con wants a weekend with the wife to cancel the debt. She accepts. Whom will she marry? Emmett, what did you come up with for number one?
Speaker 2: Huh? I wrote, who married Peggy Sue while leaving Las Vegas because of an indecent proposal?
Speaker 3: You're gonna get twenty eight points for that? Is that right, Melissa? What did you put for number one?
Speaker 7: Honeymoon in Vegas?
Speaker 3: Honey Moon in Vegas? The correct answer is as close as Emmett was. It is Honeymoon in Vegas. Honeymoon in Vegas. It's again. I think it's kind of slept on. It's a very funny movie.
Speaker 7: I love that not to be conduced with leaving Las Vegas.
Speaker 2: They are, Yes, I have heard of Honeymoon Vegas. And the second you said it said, oh, that's right, that is a movie. It exists.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I watched Leaving Las Vegas recently. Yeah, totally different vibe with that movie. Totally different vibe. Don't get those mixed up. Question number two, two thousand and six. A teenager becomes a major competitor in the world of drift racing overseas so he doesn't get arrested in America. I said, this is a sequel in a big movie franchise, Melissa, What did you put for number two?
Speaker 7: I think it's Fast and Furious Tokyo Drift.
Speaker 3: Oh, my god, Fast and Furious Tokyo Drift. Emmett, what did you put?
Speaker 2: I also put Fast and Furious Tokyo Drift.
Speaker 3: You nailed it. We're drift racing the Fast and the Furious colon Tokyo Drift. What is that? The third one? I can't even remember. There's like seventy thousand of them, so.
Speaker 2: And they jump in weird order at times, so who knows.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they were like you could tell that they were maybe going to like end the series and then no, we're gonna make twenty twenty or but if you put Okyo drift, give yourselves a big point. Question number three from two thousand and eight. After a job gone wrong, hit man Ray and his partner await orders from their ruthless boss in Belgium. Emmett, what did you put for number three? I put in Bruges, In Bruges, Melissa, what did you put in brush in Bruges? One of my favorite movies of the last twenty or so years. It is in Bruges. Question number four was from twenty thirteen. In nineteen eighty five, electrician and hustler Ron Woodruff works around the system to help AIDS patients get their medications. Melissa, what did you put for number four? Dallas Buyer's Club, Dallas Buyer's Club. Emmett, what did you put?
Speaker 2: I also put Dallas Byers Club.
Speaker 3: You guys are on a roll. It is Dallas Buyer's Club. McConaughey win in Oscas and whatnot? Incredible movie him and Jared leto Question number five. This is the movie from just last year, post World War II to Venice, Hercule Plaro. There's a murder He's got to solve it. Could we come up with this this title, Emmett, what did you come up with?
Speaker 2: I came up with Kenneth Branda presents, I get the Christie's Hercule Poiro death in Venice calling a knives out mystery.
Speaker 3: That answer deserves a huzzahes yes, Melissa, what did you put it?
Speaker 2: So?
Speaker 3: Like?
Speaker 5: I can?
Speaker 7: I read the book which is not said in Venice, the book that was this film was made out of. I put Endless Night, but that's not right. That's a different name, Christie.
Speaker 3: Now Endless Night. The correct answer is a haunting in Venice. Haunting. I saw this, I know I watched. I watched it with my girlfriend maybe, like I don't know, four months ago, and when I was coming up, I was like, I think this is gonna be a tough one.
Speaker 2: I remember a blank in Venice and I for the light and he couldn't shake it day in veniceter my mind. And that's very much not a Hercule play Row movie.
Speaker 3: Yeah it's it's okay. It's not like incredible, but it's not bad. It's got a really great cast, and it's shot really beautifully and stuff. But yeah, I would I would give it a slight thumbs up.
Speaker 1: I wouldn't watch it based on that. To be honest, right.
Speaker 3: It's gotta be full throated, A bunch of thumbs A very I want you to do Honeymoon in Vegas. That's why I'm being kind of you know that one. That one's got to be high on your list. Question number six from nineteen forty four, Young Love and Childish Fears highlight a year in the life of a turn of the century Smith family in this film starring Judy Garland and Margaret O'Brien.
Speaker 7: Melissa, Meet Me in Saint Louis.
Speaker 3: Meet Me in Saint Louis. Emmett, what did you put?
Speaker 2: Meet Me in Saint Louis?
Speaker 3: YEP? Fantastic film. Meet Me in Saint Louis for number six, doing great? Question number seven from five. After the Black September capture and massacre of Raley athletes at the nineteen seventy two Olympics, five men are chosen to eliminate the people responsible for that fateful day. Emmett. This is Munich, Munich Steven Spielberg film Munich, Melissa, What did you put Munich? Munich? And Munich? It is Munich? Excellent film from five. Munich continuing to do very well in the grab bag. And finally, question number eight I thought was another kind of deep cut from nineteen eighty four, forty years old Hall, a Russian saxophonist played by who played by Robin Williams, visiting New York City with the USSR Circus troops, suddenly decides to defect in Bloomingdale's Melissa, did you have this one?
Speaker 5: I think it's Moscow on the Hudson.
Speaker 3: Moscow on the Hudson. Emmett, what did you put?
Speaker 2: I also put Moscow on Hudson.
Speaker 3: Wow, Holy smokes, it is Moscow on the Hudson. Huge pulls for ball. That was a deep cut. You guys did fantastic in this round. It's halftime, Jackie, What is our score at half?
Speaker 6: Another strong round, especially for Melissa.
Speaker 1: She did pull ahead. She has thirteen points, but Emmett, you have twelve.
Speaker 3: We have a one point game at halftime. Again, we're here with Melissa Clapper. She's playing for Planned Parenthood. Melissa, I wanted to ask you about your books. The first one is called Ballet Class and American History. Tell the people kind of what that's about.
Speaker 7: So, Ballet Class and American History is a social history of regular, ordinary folks who took ballet class. It's not about the people who became professionals later, and it's about the ways in which ballet class became part of American childhood over the twentieth century, regardless of race, gender orientation, national background, class whatever, you know, that it just became a very popular activity. I'm interested in the way became part of American culture and the kind of misconceptions that people have that ballet class was usually only for girls, which is not the case. Plenty of boys always took ballet class. And I'm just interested in the way that different kinds of communities use ballet class as a way to become or see more American, and the sort of invasion of ballet into pop culture such that if I say ballet pink, everybody knows what color that is, or you've got, you know, children's characters who take ballet class and everybody understands what that means. And there's all these classic children's novels. So the book was a lot of fun to write, and it's just about regular, ordinary people's experiences, and that's the kind of history I like to write, sort of from the bottom up, and to see what regular ordinary American children were doing what those experiences were like for them. And the book has some great illustrations, including some of me and various of my family members. Three at least three generations of my family have taken ballet class just as a matter of course, you turn four, you go to ballet class. And this book answers the question why why would you do that?
Speaker 1: That's so interesting.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Jackie, did you take ballet classes growing up?
Speaker 2: You know what?
Speaker 6: I did not, but all of my friends did. I took it in college. I took it as an adult, but all of my friends did. I did soccer.
Speaker 7: Well actually so Actually, part of the book is about what happens after Title nine has passed and there's more sports opportunities for girls. That had a negative impact on ballet class in America, and the way the ballet community fought back was by starting all kinds of competitions and making.
Speaker 5: Ballet more athletic so you can more competitive.
Speaker 7: And so when I was a kid, regular kids didn't have ballet competitions. But now you have to choose whether you want to quote unquote competition studio or not. And that is a direct result Title nine in girls Sports.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I remember seeing on again. This guy did a lot of stuff, but it was Fred Rogers on Mister Rogers. He did an episode about ballet and he had NFL football players that were taking ballet to become more flexible, and he had like Len's Wan. Yeah, one of the best wide receivers for the Pittsburgh Steelers is on there. And I remember as a kid being like, Oh, that's awesome. It can help you in your athleticism. But yeah, like breaking down barriers that way, that's so cool. We'll talk about your other book in the next break, but let's get to your opponent again. Emmett Stanton. You can follow him on social media at EJ Stanton I NTL on Instagram. He's playing for Risk Training, which is Reporters Instructed in saving colleagues. He's got a book out, tell Me All about Gimme Shelter.
Speaker 5: Thank you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Gimme Shelter will be coming out in the spring of twenty twenty five. It's a book that I started writing during the pandemic. It is a series of vignettes that are tied together about my reporting and my work overseas. I spent about the past decade, not quite a decade covering human migration, whether it's daily migration, people who cross the border once a day for work and then come back across in the evening, whether it's seasonal migration, or whether it's long term migration where somebody picks up and moves all together but is hoping to return to their homeland, and all the impacts it has both on the people who experience it, the people who they leave behind, the communities they arrive in. It's a bunch of stories from the field. It starts off towards the end of the actual field research I did, which was in Poland and Ukraine at the start of the war, and it ties back into Hadian, the Dominican Republic. It ties into me and Maar, in Bangladesh, Venezuela, and Columbia. There's a number of places that I've been to around the world and a number of stories and interviews that it all explores.
Speaker 3: Fascinating. I can't wait to read it again. It's going to be called Gimme Shelter and is going to come out in the spring of twenty twenty five. Beyond the Lookout for that Holy Smokes, it's time to get back to the game. We have a one point game. It's thirteen to twelve. Melissa is in the lead as we enter the dubious Lightning Round Round three.
Speaker 2: The Lightning round.
Speaker 3: All right, trailing by one, so you get to go first. So today you could choose from three incredible national parks within these here United States. Again, this has nothing to do with the question nor the answers, but you could choose the Grand Canyon, yellow Stone, or Mammoth Cave for your lightning round. Name your poison.
Speaker 2: I think I'm gonna choose Yellowstone.
Speaker 3: Okay, you're gonna say Yellowstone. I'm gonna read this question twice. I'm gonna say go. You're gonna have twenty seconds to give me as many answers as possible. Melissa got some answers down because I'm gonna come straight to you with your five second rebuttal as soon as Emmett's twenty seconds are up. So Emmett, here is your Yellowstone Lightning Round question. What I want to know from you. Are the top nine reality competition shows with the most Emmy nominations. These are all shows that have had five plus Emmy nominations over the years. The top nine reality competition shows with the most Emmy nominations, twenty seconds on the clock and go.
Speaker 2: RuPaul's Drag Race, The Amazing Race, Survivor, Big Brother, American Idol, The Voice, Chopped, America's Next Top Model, Project Runway, Uh uh uh, The Great British Bakeoff, or whatever the American version that was.
Speaker 3: Stop. You did tremendous you did. You got six out of the nine. You got six on that, Melissa your five second rebuttal Top nine reality competition shows with the most Emmy nominations, five seconds on the clock, and go.
Speaker 7: Dancing with the Stars, Iron Chef, America's got talent. So you say, if you can dance, that's all I got.
Speaker 3: Stop you stole. You stole too. You stole Dancing with the Stars, and so you think you can dance?
Speaker 6: Almost got the whole thing?
Speaker 3: Yeah, the one, the one again?
Speaker 5: Number two.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we're not sure if any of you said number two. With eighteen Emmy nominations, did either of you say top Chef?
Speaker 5: No, I said I heron Chef that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I said chopped. I said chop.
Speaker 3: It was a chopped and Top Chef. So Top Chef we didn't get, but you nailed the rest of them. You get six to two in the Yellowstone round. That is van tabulous. All right, Now we're flipping it all on its head. Melissa, it's your turn in the barrel. You could choose either the Grand Canyon or Mammoth Cave for your lightning round.
Speaker 5: Oh, let's pick Grand Canyon.
Speaker 3: Grand Canyon, all right, and your recent visit. Yes, it was again, it's the coolest thing that like something that's been built up by everyone you've ever met, and you still go and your mind is blown constantly at that place. It was wild. All right. So here is your Grand Canyon lightning round question. Say it twice twenty seconds. Emmett, write some answers down, because I'm gonna come to you with your five second bottle as soon as Melissa's twenty seconds are up. Melissa, here's your Grand Canyon light yourround question? What are the nine US states alphabetically last? What are the nine US states that are alphabetically last? Twenty seconds and go.
Speaker 7: Wyoming, West, Virginia, Wisconsin, Virginia, Vermont, Texas.
Speaker 3: Oh, I don't.
Speaker 5: Think this way.
Speaker 3: Stop. You did great. You got six. You got six of them. You got Wyoming, Wisconsin, West, Virginia, Virginia, Vermont, and Texas. There's still a few on the board, Grand Canyon. What are the top nine US states, alphabetically, last five seconds on the clock, Emmet and go.
Speaker 2: South Carolina, South, Dakota, Washington.
Speaker 3: Stop you stole Washington. Washington was on that list. The ones we didn't get to number seven the Mormons Utah and number nine the volunteer state Tennessee, Tennessee. So we didn't get to Utah and Tennessee. But you guys did fantastic in the lightning round, one of our more impressive lightning rounds we've ever had. All Right, Jackie, after that wild lightning round, what is our new score?
Speaker 6: The new score is still tight and is still very very fun. The news scores having fun in their lives. IM, it's young, he's figuring it out, he's in college. He's having a good time. He's nineteen and Melissa.
Speaker 2: Two years ago I was.
Speaker 6: Melissa's having the time of her life because she now is finally able to legally drink with twenty one points.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, it's twenty one to nineteen after three Holy smokes, Barnburner. This is great, This is fantastic. This is how we draw it up, and it is a two point game. As we head into round four, the final round between you two, and it is always our Theodore Double Duty Radcliffe round Round four, the Double Duty. We call it the Double Duty because points are doubled and today it's supersized, so instead of eight or nine, we have ten huge questions, so that's twenty points up for grabs, and you guys are just separated by one of these questions. Today in the Double Duty, we have two very smart people that are very well equipped to handle this round. I believe it is a world history, but more specifically, this is all world history from the twentieth century. Twentieth century world history questions. There's ten of them. Let's get after it. Here is question number one of ten. What Filipino came after the two decade rule of Ferdinand mars back in nineteen eighty six. Again for question number one, what Filipino, I'll say female. What Filipino female came after the two decade rule of Ferdinand Marcos back in nineteen eighty six. Last name will suffice, but name that woman? For question number one, how are we feeling? It's a two point game? This is getting crazy.
Speaker 2: The tricky thing here is we've had a history professor versus somebody who covers the United Nations. So it's gonna be will the history or will the world suffice to.
Speaker 3: A knockdown, drag out fight. Question by question, Here is question number two of ten in regards to World War One? Can you name the countries that were part of the Triple on TNT. That's one possibility. You could just do that, or you could pick the countries that were part of the Central Powers, the Triple on TANT or the Central Powers from World War One? Can you name them? All right? Question number three, it's a layup for one of you. I had to put this in there. In the nineteen sixties and seventies, Rudolf Nuriev's famous partner was this English prima ballerina who was nineteen years his elder. Nuriev was a yeash. This prima ballerina was robbing the cradle with her dance partner for a couple decades in the nineteen sixties and seventies, Rudolf Nuriev one of the greatest answers of all time. His famous partner was this English prima ballerina who was nineteen years his elder. Last name Will suffice. Can you name that dancer? For number three? All right? Question number four. The film Lastrada was the first winner of the Best Foreign Language Film Academy Award back in nineteen fifty six. Name the director of Lestrata again for question number four. Lestrata was the first winner for the Best Foreign Language Film Academy Award back in nineteen fifty six. Can you name the director and last name? Will Suffice for number four? Question number five. Dorothea Lang's famous photo titled migrant Mother is one of the most iconic photos associated with what twentieth century event? Question number five. Dorothea Lang's famous photo titled migrant Mother is one of the most iconic photos associated with what twentieth century event? All right? Question number six, switch and continents. What anti colonial activist was both prime minister and then president the first president of Kenya from nineteen sixty three to nineteen seventy eight? Again for question number six, What anti colonial activist was both prime minister and then president of Kenya in the years were nineteen sixty three? I think he was prime minister from sixty three to sixty four sixty five, and then from then on he was the president till his death in nineteen seventy eight. Name that African for number six? All right? Question number seven, I gave one of you a layup, and then this one I had to kind of giveth and then taketh away. It is a sports question. I had to put one in here here for the whole thing. Question number seven, What NHL team won a record twenty four Stanley Cupps in the twentieth century, the most winning franchise in NHL history. They won twenty four Stanley Cupps in the twentieth century. Name NHL team for question number seven?
Speaker 2: I mean, name an NHL team is a tough question, you know.
Speaker 6: I mean, if you've heard of them, chances are that they're the ones we.
Speaker 7: Well, my husband is a fan of an NHL team, but I'm pretty sure they're not.
Speaker 5: Once so I could eliminate one.
Speaker 3: He really liked the Atlanta Thrashers. No, they have been defunct now for twenty years. All right, And then there were three. We're down to the final three questions. I can feel it's coming down to these three questions. Question number eight of ten in the double Duty, what was the other name for the almost thirty year Northern Ireland conflict that resulted in over fifty thousand casualties? What did they call that? What was the kind of nickname for that conflict? Again? For number eight, what was the other name or nickname for the almost thirty year Northern Ireland conflict that resulted in over fifty thousand casualties over those years? I still need to read that nonfiction book that came out years ago, that's supposed to be fantastic. All about this? All right? Question number nine? Here we go? What were the names of the two main factions of the Russian Social Democratic Labor Party or the RSDLP, one led by Lenin while the other was led by Martov and Axelrod? Can you name those two factions of the same party that kind of split from each other during that time? Question number nine? What were the names of the two main factions of the Russian Social Democratic Labor Party or the RSDLP, one led by Lenin while the other was led by Martov and Axelrod? Can you name those two factions? For number nine? Are you ready for the final question?
Speaker 2: So ready? So ready?
Speaker 3: A lot of headshaking, don't know. Here we go, Question number ten of ten in the twentieth century world history history Double duty round. What gospel singer famously performed at both JFK's inaugural ball as well as the March on Washington for Jobs and Freedom? Credible woman gospel singer that performed at both JFK's inaugural ball as well as the March on Washington for Jobs and Freedom. Name that gospel singer for number ten. All right, pencils down, Let's go over our answers for a supersized double duty Redcliffe round. We're talking about twentieth century world history. Question number one, What Filipino female came after the two decade rule of Ferdinand Marcos back in nineteen eight eighty six? Melissa, where is zon Aquino? Corazon Aikino? Emmett? What did you put equal power?
Speaker 2: Corazonic Quiino?
Speaker 3: It is Corazon a Kino? Two big points apiece for question number one. Question number two, we're talking about World War One. Can you name the countries that were either part of the Triple en Tent or could you name the countries that were part of the Central Powers? Emmett start us off for number two.
Speaker 2: I think the Central Powers were Prussia, Austria, and the Ottoman Empire. I am not confident about that.
Speaker 3: Though, Melissa, what did you put?
Speaker 5: Okay?
Speaker 7: So for central powers, I had the Austro Hungarian Empire, Germany, it's not just Prussian. I'm gonna have to say, the Ontoman Empire and for part of the time Italy.
Speaker 3: All right, this is what I have. Well, we'll see what points I can divvy up. The triple on tent was the British Empire, France and Russia. That was the triple on top. The central powers I have Germany, Austria, Hungary, Bulgaria and later the Ottoman Empire. What to do? You're both like, right there, you're both you both have it.
Speaker 2: Melissa has me on Germany over Prussia for sure.
Speaker 1: Okay, so this is what I'm gonna do.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Emmett, I'm gonna give one point, and I'm going to give two points to Melissa. We're gonna go to one on that one. Because you guys were there. That's not an easy question. You guys were right there, that's true. No fractions. See no fractions for Jackie.
Speaker 6: Set if there were fractions, and I was going to say no points for anybody.
Speaker 3: Yeah, just make it easy. Zero none yep, all right. Question number three. In the nineteen sixties and seventies, Rudolph Nurreev's famous partner was this English prima ballerina who was nineteen years his elder. Melissa, it is Margot Fontaine, Margo Fontaine, A billion percent for Margot Fontaine. Emmett, what did you put?
Speaker 2: I wrote Joan Fontaine and then cross it out and wrote Margot Fontaine. Correctly.
Speaker 3: Yes, it is the incredible Margo Fontaine for number.
Speaker 7: If you want to see something unbelievable, you looks them up on YouTube doing Bromeo with Juliette where she had like fifty something plus. It's dancing this teenage role with the area of twenty years for and you just believe them.
Speaker 5: It's it's They're just incredible.
Speaker 3: Yeah. They were a world sensation, which is incredible. Yeah. Question number four was our film question about twenty century world history. Lestrada was the first winner of the Best Foreign Language Film Academy Award back in nineteen fifty six. Can you name the director? Emmett.
Speaker 2: I think this is Fellini, but I'm not confident Felini.
Speaker 3: Question Mark, Melissa, what did you put?
Speaker 5: Said Selini?
Speaker 3: It is Federico Felini with Lestrada winning the first foreign language oscur It is Federico Fellini for number four. Question number five, Dorothea Lang's famous photo titled Migrant Mother is one of the most iconic photos associated with What twentieth century event? Melissa, it's the dustbel Ammett. What did you put? I wrote the.
Speaker 2: Dust bowl, the Great Depression, flash, the dust bowl.
Speaker 3: Yes, either of those things. I will accept the dust bowl or the Great Depression. Yeah, it's a mother with her two children. It's one of the most beautiful, haunting photos of that time period.
Speaker 1: Only one that I know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I will interject to the cover photo of my forthcoming book, Gimme Shelter, is based on the photograph Mother and Child.
Speaker 3: Wow. Fantastic, holy smokes, serendipitous. Yeah. Dorothea Lang, famous photographer. For question number five, Great Depression or the dust Bowl? Give yourselves a point? Question number six, What anti colonial activist was Prime minister and then President of Kenya from nineteen sixty three to nineteen seventy eight, Emmett.
Speaker 2: I think I tricked myself up, but I went with Jomo Kenyata.
Speaker 3: Jomo Kenyata. Melissa, what did you put ken YadA. It is Jomo ken Yata for number six. You guys are rocking and rolling and it's going to come down to these last ones. Here's your sports question, though this could be a big one. Question number seven. What NHL team won a record twenty four Stanley Cups in the twentieth century? Melissa? What did you guess?
Speaker 5: The Brewings? The Boston Brewers.
Speaker 3: That is a hell of a guest. They're an Original six team. They won some Cups. Emmett, what did you put?
Speaker 2: I put the Detroit Red Wings.
Speaker 3: Ooh, both great guesses. Both Original six teams that have won multiple Cups. The correct answer though, is Les Abbitance the Montreal Canadians. The Canadians are kind of the Yankees of hockey, so they are the ones that have won the most hoisted Lord Stanley's Cup, the most no harm, no foul. Here we go. Question number eight. What was the other name for the almost thirty year Northern Ireland conflict that resulted in over fifty thousand casualties?
Speaker 2: Emmett?
Speaker 3: The Troubles, The Troubles, Melissa, what did you put the Troubles Hot? Damn, You guys are impressive. It is the troubles for number eight? Question number nine, what were the names of the two main factions of the Russian Social Democratic Labor Party or the RSDLP. One was led by Lenin, the other was led by Martov and Axelrod of Melissa?
Speaker 7: The Bolsheviks and the Mensheviks.
Speaker 3: Bolsheviks and the Mensheviks Emmett. What did you put the Bolsheviks and the Mensheviks jeepers, creepers. I can't stomp them, They're unreal. Question number ten? What gospel singer famously performed at both JFK's inaugural ball as well as the March on Washington for Jobs and Freedom? Emmett.
Speaker 2: This one was a toss up between two answers, and ultimately I went with Mahalia Jackson.
Speaker 3: Mahalia Jackson, Melissa, What did you put Mahalia Jackson? Emmett? Who was the other person you were thinking about?
Speaker 2: The other name I put was Marian Anderson, but I'm pretty sure she was an opera singer.
Speaker 3: Correct answer is Mahalia Jackson. Holy smokes. What I have learned here?
Speaker 5: Said Emmitt? And I know all the same things.
Speaker 3: It's true, unbelievable round uh.
Speaker 7: Jack, we don't know and we don't know the same things.
Speaker 2: And and what I've learned is Melissa knows the same things and a little bit more about the same things.
Speaker 4: Yeah, these are like you didn't like this isn't like they didn't cram for this, you know, like these are just things, you know, These are just things that you guys know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and wow, I don't know what is our Yeah?
Speaker 3: What you how they know them?
Speaker 7: Don't know?
Speaker 1: That's how you know that you do and you've retained it. You didn't just hear it once you retained it.
Speaker 3: And they have recall. They have quick recall too. It's like all those things learning it recall Jackie. Yeah, yeah, yeah, that was one of the tougher history rounds I've ever done too. By the way, So after this intense double duty, what is our final score?
Speaker 1: Wow? What a game? Intense?
Speaker 3: Yes?
Speaker 1: Friendly? Yes? Good?
Speaker 6: Of course the final score, Emmett. You ended with thirty six points, one of the highest scores we've given out this season, if not the highest until Melissa. And then Melissa went went around and said, I'm getting thirty nine points. What the hey, Melissa is our winner, our smartest person for one week.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, thirty nine to thirty six is same scoring thirty and that's that's one of the one of the highest scoring games we've ever had, maybe the highest scoring we've had thirty nine to thirty six.
Speaker 1: So certainly that I've been involved with impressive.
Speaker 3: We are both tickled, impressed, unbelievable. Melissa Clapper, you are our smartest person in the world. For one week, we're happy to make a donation in your name to Planned Parenthood by her book Ballet Class and American History. And then I also want to talk to you about your new book that you co authored. It's out. It's called The Civil War Diary of Emma Mordecai. I wanted to spend a minute talking about this book.
Speaker 7: So this book has a tea bited origin story. I'll try to be quick. But my late colleague, Diane Ashton, who was a professor of Rowan in the Religion department, was a mentor of mine since I was in graduate school. Actually I knew her before we both ended up coincidentally at the same university. And she passed away in twenty twenty two and she left me kind and unfinished book project that I've been hearing her talk about for a long time, and we both do Jewish women studies stuff professionally, and I just couldn't bear the idea that this book would disappear into the ether, which is what would have happened to it. So with her husband's blessing, I finished the book in her name, and you know, with my help, so it needed She knew perfectly well that it needs some work still, so I revised it. I finished it, sought through to publication and the Civil War Diary of Emma Mortechy it's actually pronounced Mortiquis, even though it looks like Mordecai will be out at the end of October twenty twenty four, and it is about the well, the Civil War diary of this woman, Emma Mortichy, who lived in Richmond, Virginia, who was a fascinating person, a Southern Jewish, white slave owning, racist, cod nationalist, Confederate person. And she, you know, on the one hand, she was a stalwart defender of Judaism at a time when that was really difficult. And actually a lot of her family members either converted to Christianity or married non Jewish people, and she was very devoted to Judaism in to her faith, but she was also, you know, in her environment, but not unusually she was a racist slave owner and a Confederate nationalist. And so she's this very fascinating figure and also a good way to think about how history is just messy. History is that we're pessy. People are messy in our own lives, not surprising that historically they were messy too. And so the book is about a third of a long introduction of scholarly analysis of this diary by Diane Ashton and by me, and then the rest of it is the actual transcript of the diary which she kept from about April eighteen sixty four to May eighteen sixty five. Wow, vatcinating document. And you know, all the Civil War buffs out there should be interested in it. Think of it for your holiday.
Speaker 3: Gifts and for that Civil War.
Speaker 7: Diary of Emma Morticky out from New York University Press, October twenty twenty four, FA A labor's love for me.
Speaker 3: Yeah, congratulations, And what a great legacy for your friend as well. That's so beautiful that you finished her work. And then Emmett Stanton is here. You can follow him on social media. EJ. Stanton INTL on Instagram, We're happy to make a donation in his name to risk training reporters instructed in saving colleagues. His book Gimme Shelter Again out in the spring of twenty twenty five. Go check out is gofund me for Gimme Shelter Again Emmett Stanton and find out all the news that's fit to print about that excellent book. At exciting book that's coming out. What a great game. But it's not over. It's time for the final throwdown. The final throwdown. Jackie has a one off question for the three of us where we can discuss things and come up with possible answers and we'll maybe learn a little something something before we say oh goodbye. So Jackie to Ruthie, what do you got for us today?
Speaker 1: The largest swimming pool in the world.
Speaker 6: It's I you know, I like to swim, and that's where this is coming from. It's more than one thousand yards long, covers twenty acres, has one hundred and fifteen foot deep end, and holds sixty six million gallons of water. And I want to know where it's located.
Speaker 3: Okay, do you want city or country?
Speaker 6: If you give me the city. Wow, But I'll just take the country.
Speaker 3: Melissa or Emmett, what do you have?
Speaker 2: It makes me think of it makes me think of it must be a place with a dictator with a cult of personality, because where else would you have something that big. That's the only thing I can think of.
Speaker 5: So I was thinking about that too.
Speaker 7: Bit from it, like it's in like Saudi Arabia or Abutavii or one of these places where they torture by where they don't actually have any water, but they're just determined to have water.
Speaker 5: So they have water.
Speaker 2: We're gonna have the most water, you know what that and that doubles down on autocracy and cultive personality and stuff. That's so that could be it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I have a weird thought on this, and it's just it's so random. But for a commercial that I got to do ye many years ago, many moons ago, and I was kind of starting out, I got to travel overseas to South America and see this and they built we were where we were shooting was right near the coast of this place, and they it was they were building all these hotels along the coastline. But before the ocean, they built this insane thing that was like what you're describing as this crazy pool. So we shot some stuff in Santiago, but where we shot this was in Valparaiso, Chile. So that's what I'm saying, because it's like when we got there, we were like, I can't believe we're filming here. It's like they had boats in a swimming pool to move people around. They had boats in the swimming pool.
Speaker 2: So so the only thing I just now thought of is where did they film Titanic? Because I know they filmed that in a giant oh tank and our fellow tournament champions competitor, Nick Cascone was was in that film. I feel like that was in Mexico somewhere, but somewhere.
Speaker 6: Okay, they did shoot the Titanic in Mexico somewhere, but like half of it, like they like they built into the side of the oh okay, yeah, okay, sure.
Speaker 7: And I think they built a tank like it wasn't I don't know you would describe it.
Speaker 2: Wasn't a pool, yeah, okay, Okay.
Speaker 3: So we got like Dubai. Yeah, we got like Dubai, which is great where they're just like fucking.
Speaker 5: Build the biggest pool in the desert in.
Speaker 2: The desert just conspicuous consumption.
Speaker 7: Yeah, but felper Is, I mean what you just said about you actually experienced makes it.
Speaker 6: It's like that's the one that you saw now it says chee, but I'm sure they're right next to I mean, this thing is huge.
Speaker 1: I'm sure straddle's two points or.
Speaker 3: Yeah, or that was just the thing. But like, yeah, when we had no I had no idea where we were shooting, but like, and did.
Speaker 1: You shoot in the pool? Were you doing?
Speaker 3: Like yeah, I was, like I was. I was in this little like this little area where they had like a little pier out there, and then I was just like sitting there like on vacation and a guy gives me a fruity drink or whatever. But it was it was a Canada only commercial and they couldn't shoot any beach stuff because it was like in the middle of winter. So that's why they shot in South America, so they it was cheaper to shoot in South America. But like crazy trip, but yeah, we I weirdly have been either that the most random.
Speaker 6: You're in it because it is on the ocean, Like that was the weirdest thing to me. The photo where it's like it's ocean, a little bit of sand, and then this huge pool.
Speaker 3: Yeah that is.
Speaker 1: Aird but salt water.
Speaker 3: I don't know, it is like, this is my feel we should bring back Yester Williams and water musicals. Yes, holy cow, great question, Jackie. That's insane that you asked a question. I weirdly have been there. Yeah, that's one in a lecture.
Speaker 6: Really, I really can't believe that that just went down.
Speaker 3: Melissa Emmett. It was a pleasure to have you on the show. You guys are just fantastic. We wish you nothing but success with with all of your books and your your continued success and your your lines of work and your teaching and everything. And uh yeah, have a great rest of the year.
Speaker 5: Thank you very much.
Speaker 2: Thank you so much. A pleasure to be here.
Speaker 5: This is a lot of fun.
Speaker 7: See you next week for another episode of You Should Know Better.
Speaker 3: I want to help out the podcast. Please subscribe to You Should Know Better. Wherever you listen to podcasts, rate our show and write a review if you can. It really helps get the word out to the masses. We thank you, and for some daily trivia action, check us out on TikTok and Instagram. Until next week, take care of yourself and each other. We're all in this together, and in the immortal words of Harry Carey, so long everybody. You should know better. As produced by Jackie Gonzalez de Ruffi and myself Mike C. Nelson, Edited by Nick Wright. All music created by mister Kevin Shema, voice over tenant Natalia Castelianos, and graphic design by Jason Caldera and Calderico