Speaker 1: Go straight in.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I've probably got go about twenty minutes.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's perfect. Welcome to what are you talking about? Willis with at P sixty five Marcus Willis and me his mate Dave. Now this week there is a little thing called Wimbledon happening. Mister Willis is playing in it. Let's get the lowdown. Marcus Willis, how are you? Did you know you're playing Wimbledon?
Speaker 2: Yeah? I've been told a few times.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and when were you first aware?
Speaker 2: I can't remember the day last month, a couple of mondays ago when the wild cards came out, And I've got a fair idea. When I get messages from people that.
Speaker 3: Haven't message me for me, you know, since last July, I then know and it's how you doing, mate, I haven't spoken in a while.
Speaker 2: I then know it's probably one not does someone checking out on my well being?
Speaker 1: Uh? Now, people are very thoughtful, they are. They are. Lots of people join us all the time as new listeners and new viewers jump on the word you're talking about with this bandwagon. And what I thought is I've actually got a few questions to really get under the skin of. ATP sixty five, Marcus Willis in a new feature that I've got called getting to know You, getting to know.
Speaker 4: You, getting to know you, getting to know about you, getting to die, getting to hold you like me.
Speaker 1: I'm going to ask you these questions and I want your answers. Okay, you can ask me questions back if you wish.
Speaker 2: Cool.
Speaker 1: What's better ring a roses or here we go round the mulberry bush.
Speaker 2: Ring roses? Yeah, I mean they're pretty pretty, pretty dark, meaning.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's to do with the Black Death. Yeah, but there are two main circular childhood games, aren't they.
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Okay, so yeah, proper going that and then if you can do that now, political correctness gone. I'm going to try it tomorrow as an adult. I'm going to hang out a garage for court and do it. Okay. Number two do you like sushi?
Speaker 2: I do like sushi. It was very nice in Japan, especially which is actually where it originates from. Sushi. Interesting fact Number one Yeah, I also liked not because I'm a big child, but they had the sushi train that came and like went ran on a track and stop riding front of you. That was that was pretty efficient way of getting it to me. Nothing to do with me being tent to enjoy the train. Oh that is good, yeah efficient.
Speaker 1: Would you grow a fully functional furry monkey tale if it meant you never had to wait in a queue again? You are not allowed to hide said tail?
Speaker 2: Okay, So for the function it means I can just hang upside down and stuff.
Speaker 1: It would be load bearing up to seventy eight kilograms.
Speaker 2: The pointless and never had to queue again for anything?
Speaker 1: Yeah, anything?
Speaker 2: Okay, So it's not functioning then if it's only seventy eight kilos.
Speaker 1: No, because you could like get a fly off you. You could like you could do.
Speaker 2: That, huh, whip someone with it?
Speaker 1: Just for bout you could whip someone with it?
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, do it. Cues are annoying.
Speaker 1: Cues are awful, aren't they do it?
Speaker 2: Does a que count as someone like in front of me walking doagonly and stopping and checking their phone? Uh no, but that q like at an airport or something.
Speaker 1: Yeah, airport's theme parks, supermarket that kind of thing.
Speaker 2: Yeah okay, So so basically I've got priority boarding.
Speaker 1: Wherever I go, Yeah of course.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, yeah, give me the tail? What do I do in a match? I can tuck it away? Can't? Because you said, it got be visible.
Speaker 1: It's going to be visible at all times during the match. It would be visible find it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I guess I have to. I'll be able to flick it aboutn't I.
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Yeah, fine, you.
Speaker 1: Could do like the like quite partner where you want the serve to go.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but the opponents can see it there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, of course.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I've still got my hands and everything like that. It's not a replacement, no, no, yeah, I can just do the signals the same. I think it'll be quite useful you and no cues.
Speaker 1: Would you rather have the voice of the King or the voice of Graham Norton? Ah ha.
Speaker 2: Ah ha.
Speaker 1: Ah, golly, hello and welcome to what are you talking about? Walls?
Speaker 2: Yes?
Speaker 1: Hello, is it a good.
Speaker 2: Oh? Yeah, King King? Yeah, I'm just got over here.
Speaker 1: Cover the trems. Okay. Would you take the return of Andre Agassy? And I'm talking peak agacy? But you always smell of wet dog.
Speaker 2: Just thinking what percentage of my time I smell like a wet dog anyway, And considering there's not a queue of women outside, I think yeah, I'll take as returns. Yeah, they're coming stroight.
Speaker 1: Not wet dogs, mate, not wet dogs.
Speaker 2: True.
Speaker 3: Okay, yeah, I'll take agasus returns. Okay, always twenty just like howling smell. Yeah, actually I'm quite happy at sixty four.
Speaker 2: Fine, yeah, yeah's return?
Speaker 1: Where would you get with people higher?
Speaker 2: But yeah, but I just stingle time.
Speaker 1: You'd stink a wet dog.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, it gives you like a headache for a while.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well no, you will know it like people who have smelly houses. They actually don't know how smelly they are.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: No, yeah, I'm I'm happy as Marcus Willis's returns obviously.
Speaker 1: Okay, and just for the record, and Dragacy has confirmed he wouldn't take your return in exchange for the smell of wet dog. No, you're dead now and you're allowed to haunt somewhere. Where do you haunt.
Speaker 2: Somewhere? Just a place?
Speaker 1: Yeah, it could be a place, could be a building, could be.
Speaker 2: A person them as in like that means it's up for them.
Speaker 1: No, I think you'd be standard ghost. You could have your head under your arm, but standard ghost. You'd, for some reason, as a dead person go, which is weird because you spoke when you were alive.
Speaker 2: Would I do it?
Speaker 1: And you would be the only ghost who isn't tudor of Victorian because ghosts are really new.
Speaker 2: Well, so I just come on my mats kit.
Speaker 1: However, you're dressed Yeah, you're dressed in You've got a Selinco racket with you. Okay, there's still your even in death, there's still your racket partner. So where would you haunt?
Speaker 2: Where would I haunt? I'd like it'd be funny if I could hold my own family. But well, yes, yes, just really mess with United just getting good again now and it could just be funny.
Speaker 1: Theater of dreams, Yeah, theater of screams. More like, that's the ghost noise, that's the main ghost noise. Would you rather have an armpit that can make cheese? An armpit that can make chirrizzo?
Speaker 2: But can I sell this said product?
Speaker 1: Yeah, he's going to fucking buy that your own pit, Jess.
Speaker 3: It's edible, but someone will do it, mate, people Aldi and little.
Speaker 1: Don't Farmer's market you there?
Speaker 2: Yeah, fresh organic.
Speaker 1: Putting it in a part.
Speaker 2: But people, you're saying people really care about whether the coop food comes from Like.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's true, Yeah that's true.
Speaker 2: Yeah, great cheese probably what type of cheese a cheese? Yeah? I mean, the scope is huge. Chrezzo is just a very certain type of sausage cheese. I could make it anything, really, Yeah, yeah, it'd be great for Christmas, isn't it. You know?
Speaker 1: I think you. I don't think many people would eat your own pit cheese. I think you're as long as you never broke eye contact.
Speaker 2: Yeah exactly.
Speaker 3: You'd have to get it out of the arm pit as well. Why armpit and not belly button.
Speaker 1: Because I'm not a pair of that mate.
Speaker 2: Okay, yeah, I'd have to shave my armpits because grim having hair and food in it. Mm hmm, yeah, all.
Speaker 1: Right, you have peak iven iisovic serve, but the only transport you can use is a Roman chariot pulled by goats.
Speaker 3: I'd only say yes if I had Agasy's returns, which I don't want to smell like a wet dogs, and that no points I just hold every time, and then I just still got Marcus Willis's return, so that's pointless, okay. Had I known about this question, yeah, and with the Agacy question, I might have a very different answer, smelling like a wet dog, and I wouldn't be able to get to matches in time though, so it's pointless.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you'd have to allow time.
Speaker 2: I wouldn't be able to play any tournaments other than that in Warwick.
Speaker 1: No, No, you like when you landed in wherever fly, I think you can fly, and then when you land your road Trensport is a Roman chariot pulled by goats.
Speaker 2: Okay, so I just have to get lots of internal flights to the nearest airport and then and then take the goat with goran serves still my returns and my face and my arm pits cheese. I'm all right, yeah, I'm all right. I can keep his serf.
Speaker 1: Would you like a little ten centimeter clone of yourself that has exactly your personality?
Speaker 2: Okay? So ten centimes? Like yeah, bigger than that, mate, way bigger?
Speaker 1: Good?
Speaker 2: Nah? Do I have to pay for his travel and stuff like that? Ties? Fine?
Speaker 1: Time to think he's just coming through with you, like he's in your pocket?
Speaker 2: My personality? Probably not?
Speaker 3: No, friends, best friends of worse enemies. Could I use this clone and go, all right, go and win this person?
Speaker 2: Not for a week.
Speaker 1: I don't know if he's he's your slave. He's got your personality, so I'm not sure how he's going to deal with like a direct order, even if you're a massive version of him.
Speaker 3: So I can't just go and like dump him somewhere and run away for a week and say do you do my personality?
Speaker 1: And yeah, I suppose you could set him free. You don't have to hang around with him all the time.
Speaker 2: He might get killed though, mightn't it? What if someone kills him and they is it like murdering an actual person?
Speaker 1: Yes?
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, I'll take him there. Okay, I could have another one if he dies, yes, okay, cool, Yeah, we're done.
Speaker 1: Elephants are helicopters? What's better?
Speaker 2: Uh? Elephants? I think? Yeah, unless one sits on you. Yeah. I don't like helicopters. They freak me.
Speaker 1: Out, but yes, madden it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't want to. I'm fine dying without ever being one.
Speaker 1: How do they fly? Who?
Speaker 2: People die? I just don't like it.
Speaker 1: No, I'm with you. Look, we're going to do whistles stop. That is getting to know you, And after this we're doing a whistle stop for Marcus Willis at Wimbledon twenty twenty six.
Speaker 2: Getting to know.
Speaker 4: Cauding it my way the nicely you are precisely my cup of tea.
Speaker 1: Welcome back now he doesn't smell of wet dog. He won't be returning like Agacy. He is not on a Roman chariot pulled by goats, so he won't be serving like Ivanisovich. But Marcus willis where are you now? And where are you staying?
Speaker 2: I'm staying at my friends house Walton on Thames Waybridge areas. It's about twenty five minutes away from Wimbledon. Yeah, that's where I am And I'm going.
Speaker 3: To wimbled and tomorrow she going to get rains Park tomorrow because the Double Skuy's practice off site for the first two days.
Speaker 1: Okay, so the rains Park the All England Community Center, it is for the community. And what are I mean? Look, I want to talk about your first round and things, but are you like this isn't your first rodeo when it comes to Wimbledon, is it? Do you feel a bit old hat with all this? Now You're like, yeah, I know when rains parkers have got this down? Is there nerves? Is there a buzz? Or is it business as usual?
Speaker 2: Bit of everything? It's lovely to play, but there's you obviously want to do well, but like the same in every other tournament. We're organized in practice with getting stuff done, training, physio. It's like a big tick list. But you try and do well and prepare as best you can for your first round and you don't get a lot of time to watch matches or enjoy it like like a you know, spectator.
Speaker 1: Are the things that help you based on your previous win winning experiences? Is it a benefit having been.
Speaker 2: Again, it's not my first one, so I'm not in the unknown of what's going on. But it's a different experience. It's a different match, it's a different pressure, it's a different you know, the courts are different. It's it's a new experience.
Speaker 3: I mean, under nath even if I've played the same tournament twenty times, you've got different opponents, different components to look out for it components and opponents.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's it's it's something you don't get used to. It's wimbler, it's lovely.
Speaker 1: Do you think about finances and rankings right now?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 3: No, because it looks after itself and then you stress about it. You know, when I was playing on the IF Tour and getting into challenges and you know, trying to find find and keep sponsors, that was kind of tough and really important, but now it's okay. If I lose, I focusing on the next event, which will be UMAG two fifty, you know, just after the second week of Wimbledon, so we.
Speaker 2: Go and prepare for that.
Speaker 3: If you win, then you focus on your second round or the mixed doubles or you know, you just deal with it as it comes. And I find worrying about that stuff a waste of energy, because I mean, if you just focus on trying to get better, as I have, I've had my best year so far. Because there was a time where I thought, oh, you know, if I win this match, I'll go to.
Speaker 2: This ranking and financially make that. But knowing that doesn't make me play better, and that happens anyway if you win. So just focus on trying to improve, and it kind of takes up takes care of itself, if you know what I mean.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Like, if I hit a career high from a third or fourth round, that's great, but I've hit career highs before, and the world doesn't end.
Speaker 2: It's all right, I really have time to appreciate it either.
Speaker 3: Really, it's onto the next you're getting into these events, playing the best players in the world.
Speaker 2: It's like, right, I want to get better.
Speaker 1: When the draw comes out for the first round, do you get a to see it before everyone else or do you just.
Speaker 2: Know it comes out on the app?
Speaker 3: I think, oh, someone might be there while the drawer's going on, and no, ten minutes before it's official. But you know, I got messaged from Dave who we were playing, and then I went on the app ten minutes later and it was there. So and this is what I want to stress to people as well for order of players and schedules, because I get people.
Speaker 2: Asking why are you playing tomorrow? We know at the same time the public knows. They release it on the wind app or woman of website and that's how we find out. So I don't know if you don't know when I'm playing at what day or whatever like that, I know I'm playing Wednesday or Thursday first round, and I don't know which.
Speaker 1: Let's talk about your opponents. Tell everyone who you got.
Speaker 2: We've got Joe Salisbury and a real BHA.
Speaker 1: Now we know a lot about Joe Salisbury, right, You've you've played Salisbury multiple times?
Speaker 3: I want to say, yeah, singles, doubles, but not at this level in the futures and stuff like that.
Speaker 1: What you expect him from them as a pair other than the usual, Like, they're both top quality players, aren't they.
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: What makes them top quality?
Speaker 3: Joseph you know, one of the best athletes in the world. You know, he's powerful, he covers the net very well, he's big, he's quick.
Speaker 2: Ariel but they both volley very well. They're both you know, know how to cut the angles off. I'm very clutch. You know, they do everything well. You know, you don't win slams and make finals and world number whatever. He has been modern nomble when I'm sure he has. But when you were soping three times.
Speaker 3: In a row, you don't do that with a dodgy Becken or a dodgy fore And or you know, bad serve. There's nothing there's nothing clear about either our games where you can go, I'll just do that and you'll be fine. So it's it's a case of having to go and execute as well as you can. And it's it's the same whenever you play a top But there's not many clear plans against guys at this level.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they're very, very good.
Speaker 3: We'll have to play a very good match and you know if it's whoever executes better.
Speaker 2: I suppose if they if they have an.
Speaker 3: Off day and they're not serving, returning well, then you've got a chance if you do those things well.
Speaker 2: But it's not. There's no clear tactic, David. If there was, I wouldn't tell you, because you're going to tell everyone on the podcast.
Speaker 1: I would, yeah, and.
Speaker 2: Then the right right, what they're going to do is X, and then everyone would know and then they'll be their first point when I under arms serve them, they'll be waiting for it. But no, no jokes aside, there's not you know, you're playing very good players.
Speaker 3: It's not a very nice draw. But there aren't that many draws that you go, oh, that's brilliant.
Speaker 1: No, I mean I was looking through the drawer and there's there's some there's a couple of singles, guys who are teaming up and stuff like that.
Speaker 3: You say that, then surrenderlo and another Argentinian beat cash glass Ball last week.
Speaker 2: Right, Yeah, it's not.
Speaker 3: But it's a good draw until you know the guy's serve and return very well and stay back and rinse foehands because they can now. Yes, I say the grass is similar speed to everything else.
Speaker 1: Now yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 2: So so yeah, there's there's better draws than some. But it's not like if you took me out there and put me in that bit of the way better maybe for a round, maybe for a first round, but you either play a seed in the first round or a second round.
Speaker 3: It's just it's unlucky with playing you know, next one, number one and whatever in the first round and they're not seeded.
Speaker 2: That's unlucky.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's really unlucky. And I suppose this isn't the Joe Salisbury of eighteen months ago. This is Joe who's had a long break out of well a break out of the game, and not with his regular doubles partner. So you know, I'm trying to glean a bit. I'm rinked a little bit of hope.
Speaker 2: It's all good stuff until they're serving it a first volley and you go, it's still pretty good.
Speaker 1: It's still.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's one with a number of different people. It's like there are some players that you know, when they leave their partner, they struggle, but he's one with a few different people. Yeah, and b has very good as well. You know, made fine of Eastbourne last year beat Cash Gassall. They're playing with legue and like these these guys are a good experience double first and it's gonna be a difficult match.
Speaker 1: So what does your practice look like? How much are you on caught with David Stevenson, how much are you on caught with coaches? How do you find that balance now between doing technical tactical physical stuff.
Speaker 2: We got two hours tomorrow we're playing practice set. There's a couple of guys and.
Speaker 3: Then we'll do our specifics, you know, an hour around that, so you know, we'll do our knockoff volleys, we'll do we'll practice everything that needs to be done well for the match, and that's the same whoever we're playing. Really and then tactically you make adjustments as you're playing the match or you ever planned before. But we're just making sure that we've got the best chance to execute on Wednesday, and you know, you don't want to go out there and miss three first volleys to go. I haven't been practicing that last three days. Well, that surprised me that he went there or whatever like that.
Speaker 2: So we do too tomorrow like gym, and then Tuesday probably something similar, maybe an hour and a half, but without points. We tend not to pare points the day before match. You don't get much rhythm playing points. It's a bit yeah, but it's important to do so you get a feel of what players are working and what plays maybe aren't things that you can fix that aren't going so well in practice. You can have a little look at in your specific training.
Speaker 1: Veryest it is because do you know what people just don't know? No, they don't know. People know their club tennis. That's generally how we exist.
Speaker 2: Some people think we just go and have a knock ten minutes for the match.
Speaker 1: I wonder what they do think because obviously I'm I'm more exposed to it than others.
Speaker 2: We need to get someone on that doesn't know much about tennis or like watches about tennis and like take me get them to take our take through, you know, our day before day before match day in the day and what should we be doing.
Speaker 1: Hmmm mmm, I'd like to know. I'd like to well get in contact. On the description of the pod, there's an email address and you can email us and we are in full wind Wooden flights now, mate, Look, I said it before the French and I'm always excited to see you playing. I'm excited to see you in the biggest arenas and stuff like that. And uh, I'm probably going to be there as well to see this.
Speaker 2: Heckle me from the side.
Speaker 1: No, last time you he called me from the side, because I was actually keeping stum.
Speaker 2: Jimmy Floyd hustleback. Yeah, yeah, hustling hard.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you saw me. I was giving it the big But to the people next to me, I was like, no, he's very focused, he's very much on his own. He wouldn't recognize that I'm actually here.
Speaker 2: Dave as a going son. You're right, it's all want to die in it. I might say that when I see you.
Speaker 1: Now, well, I'm looking forward to it. Yeah, man, best of luck with it, tennis ship, bloody heart out. Yea.
Speaker 2: When when you go on serve and agacy return, I'll be fine.
Speaker 1: Yeah. See it's my wet dog, see you, mate.
Speaker 5: Victor of Baranco on troumpon Sergeant Major of Craig Frederick and on the trumpets and the composition, The Army Blues
Speaker 2: Looked out that