Speaker 1: It's the Jam and Sandy Show and you can now save us as a preset on the iHeartRadio app. It's Austin's eighty station one oh three point one. Something happened at the Moody Center over the weekend that brought thirty million dollars into the city of Austin, and chances are a lot of people don't even know what happened, but it is absolutely huge for the people that do know about it. I think people came in from all over the world for this. This was a big e sports event, electronics sports gaming event that happened at the Moody Center.
Speaker 2: Tricia. What was it called.
Speaker 3: It was called Blast TV's Counterstrike Major and it was a culmination.
Speaker 4: It was a playoff tournament.
Speaker 3: Apparently for the last few months, people from all over the world have been competing to get spots in this final three day playoff. It brought fifty thousand esports fans to the Moody Center.
Speaker 4: Fifty thousand people over this three day tournament.
Speaker 5: To give you some comparison, well, dkrs about of her just over one hundred thousand. But like at Zilker Park in ACL fests, you're going to see what fifty to maybe seventy thousand people in there.
Speaker 3: That's yeah, that's big. They're comparing this event to ACL and south By. It's that big of a deal, and apparently it's going to become a regular thing here.
Speaker 4: But people come in.
Speaker 3: It brought, like Sandy said, thirty million dollars into Austin, and also the prize money for the people who won was like a million dollars each.
Speaker 4: How many people won, but it was a big deal.
Speaker 1: I remember years ago when they were kind of like people were buying franchises of teams, just like you would in the NFL or Major League Baseball. There were people, and I think Mark Cuban was one of them that invested heavily and bought an esports team.
Speaker 2: That's how big this is.
Speaker 1: I don't, honestly, I don't even know what games they play, and this is it saying the article Trisia what they're competing in. I don't know if it's like Madden Football or what it is, to be honest, call.
Speaker 2: Of duty, I don't know.
Speaker 3: It doesn't have any specific thing. I think it's just all the esports. Nothing specific is listed.
Speaker 1: It's crazy the amount of money that there is in this, and there's I mean, I think there's more money in the video gaming than there is in the motion picture business. In movie business, yeah, which it is mind bog lane and.
Speaker 5: Yeah, they've been saying forever that it was going to be big. It's it is. It's a arrived some time ago. It's got to be a tough thing. My daughter wasn't into gaming, and I avoided it when I was younger. I got like a Sega genesis when I was in my early twenties, and then all of a sudden, one day, I was like, I've been doing this for eight hours.
Speaker 6: I gave it away. Man, I gave the thing away. They're really built to do that too, Like they're built. They're made to make you keep playing and playing and playing.
Speaker 1: And I have I have an Xbox and play Call of Duty, but I really manage myself, like I don't do it until everything else is done and I and.
Speaker 2: Then I'm so bad at it.
Speaker 1: I can't play for more than forty five minutes because I just were so good at it. And then you got smart ass twelve year olds laughing at you.
Speaker 3: As I was going to say, didn't like one of them, like forget to use their microphone or something, and scept said something that hurts your feelings.
Speaker 5: The sports industry is a one point five billion dollar industry, but the video game industry overall, I think this is what you were talking about, Sandy. This is from twenty twenty four, two hundred and twenty billion, compared to the film industry that is ninety billion. Right, to give you perspective, the music industry is a thirty five billion dollar annual industry, two hundred and twenty billion.
Speaker 2: So more than movies and music put together.
Speaker 5: Yeah, wow, video games.
Speaker 2: Let's do a video game today. You want to make one?
Speaker 4: Make make one?
Speaker 5: It would be we could be lucky to put together Pong.
Speaker 1: Right, But doesn't your daughter like going to the arcades and still pumping the quarters in?
Speaker 2: You don't?
Speaker 5: Yeah, that's just a social thing, you know, Like there's like she likes that cider cade on Riverside. You pay like a flat fee of ten bucks and the games are free, and it's a lot of old school games. You know, you're you're Tetris and Galaga and cinepac Vans and Sinnipede.
Speaker 1: Yeah right, so that's cool though, And whoever brought it to Austin that's great.
Speaker 2: Hopefully they'll keep bringing it back, right, Yeah.
Speaker 3: I think it's going to be become one of those annual events, just like Formula one and and and ACL all of them they're going to.
Speaker 4: It's a new one that I think is going to be coming back every year.
Speaker 2: The weekends to.
Speaker 1: Do this type of stuff, well that's indoors, so that's fairly easy, yeah, to pick in Austin. But man, the weekends to book these big events are really getting slimmer and slimmer in Austin, right because you have to take into account you can't have a CL in Austin when there's a home football game, right, there's hotels.
Speaker 2: There's just not true.
Speaker 1: But didn't they do a CL and F one on the same weekend one year? Which is nuts?
Speaker 3: They're both in October, but you're saying one year they were both on the same weekend.
Speaker 5: Yes, so wow, And you know you'd be paying a grand to stay to Lakinta, yeah right, yeah.
Speaker 1: And they were doing that crappy minimum five night stay thing. Remember at F one, they were like all the hotels were like, you couldn't just book a hotel for one night, you had to get it for like five nights, which is which is done. Sure makes south By Southwest seems smaller now all these other things because when Austin had was head south By Southwest, we had that in Longhorned Sports and that was it right that maybe that little craft brew festival that they used to have down.
Speaker 2: At for.
Speaker 5: That's a long time Pecan street fest.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but now it's there's a lot of stuff going on, so and this just in there's a lot happening in Austin, Texas.
Speaker 5: Right you every weekend? JB.
Speaker 1: Are you becoming the guy with the dog on South Congress a little bit?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Yeah.
Speaker 5: I have two little ugly terrier rescues. One's one's eleven years old. One is one and a half, and I take him to different things. Maverick the old one, he's my we're running Errand's dog and he's the boat dog.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah.
Speaker 5: And then the Clyde, the younger one. He can behave himself in social settings better than the old one. So he's he's the he's like the bar dog. Or was he the one dog? Was Clyde the one that was trafficked here from Mexico? Yeah he was, Yeah, he was trafficked. He was yeah, he uh, that's the young one. He's a year and a half.
Speaker 2: He he.
Speaker 5: We got him from a rescue that goes down to South Texas and Mexico and they'll pick up a dozen dogs at a time and put him in foster homes. They don't have like a brick and war facility. It's really cool. It's called if you're interested, it's called Atticus Legacy Rescue, and you can follow him on socials.
Speaker 2: That's where we found Clyde.
Speaker 5: But Clyde embarrassed me at my one of my favorite places last night.
Speaker 2: I was working late.
Speaker 5: I had a lot of stuff to do, and I was there shutting the place down at eleven PM. I was the last one in there in a cafe fred Fredo. I don't know if they I think I pronounced it Fredo. It's right there at Congress in Oldsworth cool place.
Speaker 2: It's an old, old.
Speaker 5: Historic home turned into a cafe and wine bar. And we're getting up to leave and Clyde jumps down and sort of takes off on me and I reach for it, grab his leash. In his leash had looped around this little water station. It was like a wood stand with a water jug on it and all the cups, and he was darting for the door or he was clearly ready to go home and knocked over the whole thing. This is eleven o'clock and the last one in there they're trying to shut down. I toppled a water station and the jugs spilt entirely, entirely. They were very nice and came, you know, they had a mop on it in minutes.
Speaker 2: But I was like, I am so.
Speaker 5: Sorry, and I just they were like, it's okay, don't worry about it. They were being really nice.
Speaker 2: I go.
Speaker 5: I said, you guys will get extra tips for the next month, because I had already closed out.
Speaker 2: I will make this up to you, I promise.
Speaker 3: Oh you know inside they were like, dude, we just want to go home.
Speaker 1: I'm worried that the next time you go back there's gonna be a sign on the door that says no dog's allowed, right, yeah.
Speaker 4: Or picture of Clyde.
Speaker 5: Really, it was just so embarrassing, so bad.
Speaker 2: I felt so bad. Did Clyde KNOWID messed up?
Speaker 5: I think so because it was a loud noise when that thing hit the ground, you know, one of those big plastic water jokes. Yeah, it was really loud.
Speaker 1: So I'm curious, did you stay till the completion of cleanup or did you no?
Speaker 2: They were shooing there.
Speaker 5: I think they just wanted me out of there at that point.
Speaker 4: Get out.
Speaker 2: Well.
Speaker 1: Speaking of dogs, Tricia and I were on the Brushy Creek trail over the weekend. They were just walking along and to our left there's this woman walking a young dog. I would say, he's maybe a year, I don't know. And we're walking a few more steps and she goes, wait a minute. She turns around, she goes, I think that's Chiarne. Like what she goes, You know the dog I told you about that I met that made this little mark on my arm with his teeth. His name is Chicerni. And so Tricia's fretting, wonder if that's Chiaceronnie. I'm like, just go ask if that's Cheacerne. And she's like, man, I go, okay, I'll go ask. And then Tricia goes and she walks up to the owner and I'll let you take it from there.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I go.
Speaker 3: I didn't want to go is your dog's name cheacha Rone? Because if it wasn't, that's weird. Right, it's super rando name George. Yeah, I go, what is your dog's name? And she she's like, am I in trouble? She goes Cheacha Rone and I was all, chea gerone.
Speaker 4: I go.
Speaker 3: I knew that was him. I go, this is my husband and my daughter. I go, I told them about cheach your Rone. When I met him last time, it had been a couple of months. He was just a poppy. He's gotten so much bigger. I think he's part pitbull something else. He's adorable and just so happy to be anywhere, like jumping up all over the place.
Speaker 4: He scratched my arm.
Speaker 3: So I have a cheecha rone scar and I'm all, every time I look at it, I'll show Sandy and Lander and I'll go, cheach your rone. But I love it how cute he is. And I love that name. It means pork rind in Spanish, just.
Speaker 4: What I was told.
Speaker 3: And so when I saw him, I was like, I think that's him. And you guys got just just excited to meet him.
Speaker 5: Right.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, he was great. He was cool. I liked him because he was just playful and fun.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 4: She was like, let's play it, let's.
Speaker 3: Do it like that total puppy energy, so excited like by a rocket.
Speaker 2: I always get sited excited seeing the dogs on the trail.
Speaker 5: I love him.
Speaker 1: I love seeing him. There's something that will behave better than others, that's for sure.
Speaker 5: You know what I mean?
Speaker 4: That's true.
Speaker 5: What are we gonna say, Jamie, No, I just it's funny you say that because my wife cannot go by a dog and not stop. Like, yes, like I think we like dogs better than humans. And when and when people don't like like just sort of dismiss my cute, ugly dogs.
Speaker 2: I mean I like judge them right.
Speaker 4: Yes, yes, absolutely, Like something's wrong with you?
Speaker 5: How do you go by my dog and I go, oh, you know something?
Speaker 2: Give us something? Are we are we as Americans? Are we done doodling? Up? Dog said? We doodled everything that we can doodle?
Speaker 6: You know what I mean?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Every mixed everything with a doodle with the doodle.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I don't know.
Speaker 3: All I know is that before we got our last dog, Shiny, who was an Australian Shepherd, I talked to our vet about a doodle. He's like, you know, Trisha, that two years ago a doodled anything was considered a met Now they're charging two and three thousand dollars for him. He was like, just get something that you want to get, you know what I mean, like the doodle. Just people will pay for it. But because it became such a big thing. If you can look at something and not know what it is, but know that it's been doodled because of a hair.
Speaker 1: Right, Yes, that's true. I want our next dog. I want a big dog. I'm going to lose this battle, but I just Landry and I, our sixteen year old, call it a real dog, like a big dog.
Speaker 5: Like that's what I That's what I campaigned for when we got Clyde. I said, I want a real dog this time. And then you ended up with Clyde, like a larger maybe a female lab mix or something, you know, jumps in and out of your truck and just you know, that's what I wanted. And we got Clyde
Speaker 3: Instead, and he didn't even speak English