Speaker 1: But I think the language of this sid of produced is actually pretty good. There may be adjustments to that by some of our democratic colleagues, but I don't want to let that get in the way of the broader progress that's needed by getting clarity to throw it across the line.
Speaker 2: This episode is brought to you by Fortax.
Speaker 1: Guys.
Speaker 2: Let's be honest, the crypto market has been moving sideways for a while now. A lot of people are just sitting on their coins waiting for the next big move. But while you're waiting, your crypto is just sitting in your wallet doing absolutely nothing. That's why I want to mention one of my longtime partners, fortasx. Instead of just letting your assets sit idle, you can put supported cryptocurrencies into fortest x liquidity pools and earn daily rewards while still keeping the flexibility to withdraw whenever you want. One of the reasons I've continued working with them is because they keep delivering. The team is public, they've successfully completed Cyberscope team verification, KYC past independent security audits, and the platform has been building consistently for years. They focus on long term growth, transparency and security rather than hype. In a market like this, it makes far more sense to have your crypto working for you instead of letting it sit idle in your wallet. I've worked with fordest X for a long time and if you're planning to hold your crypto anyway, I genuinely think it's one of the smartest ways to put those assets to work. And folks, I know security is very important to all of us as we hold our crypto assets and they are fully audited by certik and they are SEC registered and much more so. You got to check out Fordx. Go to Fordax dot fi slash x slash Thinking Crypto link will be in the description. Hey, folks, welcome into the Thinking Crypto Podcast.
Speaker 3: I'm Tony Edward and I'm Amanda Wickcroft and.
Speaker 2: Joining us is Congressman Brian Style, who's a Republican out of Wisconsin. He's also the chairman of the Financial Services Subcommittee on Digital Assets, Financial Technology, and Artificial Intelligence. Congressman Style, great to see, Great to have you.
Speaker 1: Back, Hey, Tony and Manna, thanks for having me on.
Speaker 2: Congressmen, all eyes and ears are tuned into the Clarity Act. What can you tell us about the current status of this bill? The ethics piece, and all the conversations that are happening. It's all good things we're seeing, parguss, but what can you tell us where the status is.
Speaker 1: I'm in the general view it's darkest before the dawn. I mean, some people are indicating it might die. I'm still optimistic that we get the deal done. We're down to a handful of topics that have been now negotiated for well over a year. We have an ethics piece, we have to discuss interest rates in some of the DeFi language that's inside of Clarity. I was always with the view that we best served we took the House past Clarity bill and simply moved it to the Senate for an up or down vote. Of course, the Senate wants to put their print on this, that's okay. But the key here is that we reach a resolution and ultimately get this across the line. Now that there's legislative texts down on paper by Republicans in the Senate, I think and I'm hopeful that that gives us an opportunity to finalize the negotiations that are needed to get this thing all the way through. Signing the law to really unlease the capital to sitting on the sidelines in this space.
Speaker 3: Do you think the ethics agreement will be sufficient for the Democrats?
Speaker 1: I think at the end of the day it will be. I mean, I know that Democrats would like to see all sorts of bells and whistles associated with that ethics language, and there might be tweaks off of the draft just provided. On the Senate side, I think people broadly are open to looking at what those reforms are. I don't think anybody in the space wants bad actors in it, and don't want politicians to be profiting off of inside information while they're in office. But I think the language of this set of produced is actually pretty good. There may be adjustments to that by some of our Democratic colleagues, but I don't want to let that get in the way the broader progress that's needed by getting clarity through it across the line.
Speaker 2: Now, on the other side of the coin, the banks seem to be still fighting on the stable coin, yeald side of things. Do you anticipate that might be a big hurdle as well?
Speaker 1: In some ways yes, but in some ways no. I mean, this was a lot of the debate we had when Genius was originally passed for stable coin legislation, and this goes back to an earlier debate. Should we have moved a Genius alongside Clarity at the same time. That was my view. That's how it played out fair enough. But what we often see is when a bill goes through followed by a second item, that second item carries negotiations from the first one. And that's exactly what we're saying. We're seeing negotiations of Genius on the back of the Clarity Act, which is frustrating to a lot of us when we negotiate what's not in a bill. My hope is that that resolution can be reached. I think logical minds can agree on this space. Nobody wants to see deposit light from our banks. I think the rules and regulations are in there to prevent that. But at the same time, we want to make sure that innovation development is occurring here in the United States and making sure, in particular on the stable point side, that we have a regulatory framework to protect consumers. Stable points were existing before Genius, they'll continue to exist after Genius. The differences inside this regulatory framework, consumers are significantly protected. That's actually good. Obviously, for consumers, but it's also good for the industry because good actors rewarded by operating under this regulatory framework.
Speaker 3: Are members of the Senate and House monitoring the updates of crypto legislation that's getting passed in other countries.
Speaker 1: Well, very much so. I actually just had a meeting this week with members from the European Union discussing what legislation they're looking at. I've had conversations with our colleagues places from Chile and Argentina to Japan and South Korea as well, and so the whole world in many ways is watching what's taking place in the United States. And I remember having a conversation with a deputy finance minister of one of the major countries in the globe, and we had a large conversation and as we left, he said to me, Brian in the United States gets clarity done, You're going to take a lot of innovation development that's occurring in our country and move it to the United States of America. And I left and reflected and thought, that's in many ways, what we're trying to do is policymakers not to take it from other countries per se, but to get that innovation development to occur in the US. So many crypto developers, both financial capital as well as human capital, are still sitting in the sidelines outside the United States because policymakers in Washington can't get out of their own way by getting the Clarity Act all the way done and signing the law.
Speaker 2: Congressman, once this bill passes the Senate and then needs to go to the House, do you anticipate there may be similar hurdles that the Senate's currently facing in the House, or it might be a smooth process because you guys got a version of this past last year.
Speaker 1: My hope is that it's a smooth process. I believe it will be. Why because we're in the negotiations with the Senate. This is a bipartisan by cameral effort to get this legislative text done. Again, it's a handful of Democrats, so we need to get on board this bill. In the United States Senate, they need to get comfort in particular as they relates to the ethics provision. We have some language we got to get around DeFi as well as the interest rate piece, but the broad framework of the bill is actually reasonably agreed to. That's what gives me my optimism. And then, because this is by camera, in these negotiations, in many ways, lots of us are at the table. It's my hope that the package that the Senate passes is ready for floor action in the House. I don't want to promise that to be the case, because we want to read the text and review it, but by all means, we're part of this conversation with our colleagues of the Senate.
Speaker 2: Quick follow up to that, as part of timeline, I heard many people are saying we need to get this on by August seventh. I'm assuming past the Senate passed the House, and then President Trump can sign in later in August if he wants. But is the hard date August seventh?
Speaker 1: Last year I said it needed to be done by August, and so we've been dragging on this for quite some time. So broadly speaking, legislation, as you head into the election and there's you know, just over one hundred days between now and November three, it just gets harder and harder to reach agreements. It shouldn't be, but that's just the reality. And so I think a lot of us look to that August early August deadline as being a reasonable deadline for the Senate to act, because then the Senate will go home for a handful of weeks and then all of a sudden, we're into September and October before the election, And what I don't want to do is punt this to the backside of the election in a lane duck. So hopefully we see these negotiations move quickly. They can, but you know the proof will be in the putting as we watch the center over the next handful of days.
Speaker 3: What are your thoughts. I'm so curious on Brian Armstrong's common or ultimatum. I should say that if clarity doesn't pass, he'll just move coinbase offshore.
Speaker 1: Well hopefully that's not the case, but yeah, I'll let Brian Armstrong speak for himself. But I think broadly speaking, a lot of businesses are looking at it that way right either businesses that are currently offshore which are on the precipice of moving to the US, or worst case scenario, businesses that are in the US that will move offshore. It is so foolish and so frustrating that we can't get this done in across the line, because I think big picture, what Brian Armstrong's quote is referencing to is there's a lot of people who want to invest and innovate and develop in the United States, but the regulators, as controlled by members of Congress, aren't getting the policies finalized so that we can unlock this in the US. And so I remain concerned not only about maybe his business, but the industry large that will go back back into the days of really Gary Gensler, and people will be moving offshore, developing offshore rather than here in the United States under our values.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, we are in a global competition, and I think believe it was just this week Russia past crypto legislation. I believe the UK is moving their version through the parliament. The EU already has theirs in place, and they continue to iterate and find tune and so Congressman, hopefully we can get this done. It's so critical for jobs and innovation and the future of the United States.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, I mean this global competition is real. The United States in many ways one the Web two race. I mean, that's in many ways why we are the global leader in the tech space. We need to make sure that we maintain that level of dominance as we continue moving forward in the Clarity Act is going to be absolutely essential to make sure that the US is the epicenter of innovation development, in particular in the financial services space.
Speaker 3: I'm so curious, also, you've simultaneously been working on Clarity as well as the Insider Trading Act. Do you find that these two pieces of legislation are complimentary to one another with regard to ethics.
Speaker 1: In some ways? I think the Insider Trading Act that I just passed, the Stop Insider Trading Act, is really a focus and a look at Congress itself. There's a broad public concern that members of Congress are getting inside information and that might be in a position to leverage that. In the financial markets, insider trading is really difficult to enforce. It's against the law for anyone, including members of Congress, to use inside information and then make a trade. And the challenge, of course, is enforcing that. And so my solution says, let's just put a blanket ban on members of Congress from trading individual shares of stock while they're serving in Congress. The bill works that I was glad to see it pass with strong bipartisans support yesterday in the House. But the Broader Clarity Act is really a regulatory framework, but maybe it hits a simil or point of let's just have rules of the road that work, that we can enforce, that we can show people how to do it right. How do we enforce bad actors? And it's a general premise of mine that good actors in almost any space or any industry, they don't want bad actors in that space. And so my hope is we can get the Stop Insider Trading Actor across the line in the Senate, we can get clarity done as well.
Speaker 2: Does the build cover just stocks or there's a cover other assets like I could trade based on information I know oil or other commodities, and obviously cryptos has its own thing going on, but do you plan to add other assets into that umbrella.
Speaker 1: Progress in Washington is often made incrementally, and so I think this is a big step forward in the Stop Insider Trading Act. I am open to the conversations we've been having this with other other types of assets that people own. The key here is to get it right. As we began kind of exploring some of the commodities, talk to some of my colleagues who have family farms, and you want to make sure that somebody can, for example, hedge their soybean crop. There's nothing wrong with that. It's effectively needed. If you're going to be a modern farmer, you don't want to just take the price of soybeans on the day the truck pulls up to your farm. But at the same time, we don't want members of Congress sitting and pretending that they're day traders behind their desk making swaps or derivatives in for example, the oil space. Of course, any insider in any inside trading would be illegal, period, full stop. But broadly speaking, I don't think we want members of Congress making their living by doing day trading activities. And so let's just put in the blanket ban on individual companies shares the stock. Then let's look for other errors where we can reach that consensus that's needed to actually add to the ethics reform we just passed.
Speaker 3: I want to move on to tokenization. Can you tell us about the recent hearings on this and the move towards tokenization as the future of markets.
Speaker 1: Well, this is a great way to leverage technology to create massive efficiencies. And when we have efficiencies, if you believe in the free market like I do. The consumers are going to benefit by that, both by convenience but also by price. When we talk in the financial services space rit large, there is a huge opportunity here for twenty four to seven real time exchanges that you can carry a lot of metadata in these transactions that you would not have been able to do in the old days. And so some of this I step all the way back. We had a hearing last Friday based on I'm really on crypto, but broadly in this broader technology space. We went to Federal Hall in New York City. Federal Hall, if you may remember or may know, was where Congress first met in seventeen eighty nine, sitting on Wall Street, now adjacent to the New York Stock Exchange. We're talking about in that room is the beginning of the debate of should the states take on the should the federal government take on the debt of states that was issued to pay for the Revolutionary war? And you think about the financial decisions that were made in the technology that was needed back then to make those types of payments in the coupons, you go all the way up in the greenbacks issues. We head into the civil War. You get the thirty three and thirty four Act, and a lot of that language is based on what was available at the time shareholders held shares. You get all the way up into tokenization. There are massive efficiencies that we can operate with to create a better plumbing system. The United States has been the beneficiary of the best capital markets in the globe, and if we lean in and get the tokenization piece right, I think you will see more efficiencies in the US markets. Stronger US capital markets in the US capital markets are a massive benefit to innovation and development of new technologies here in the United States.
Speaker 2: Beyond tokenization, are there other use cases that you and the folks in the subcommittee are looking at for blockchain? Can it be using government and in different ways?
Speaker 1: Yeah? I think there is massive opportunities here. Businesses that will build on layer one blockchains that are hearing in New York go back to the same reference we had the company Helium. In Helium is building out opportunities for people to be able to share bandwidth and Wi Fi in leveraging blockchain technology to do that. We asked a point blank would your business operates if it wasn't for distributed Ledger technology, and the answer is no. And so I think innovative businesses like that. You think about a lot of the paperwork and filings from car registrations or land titles that are going to be innovative and businesses that will innovate in that space. And then there's a lot of stuff we've never thought about. I mean, one of my favorite things to think about is if you go back and watch back to the future too. They travel from the eighties into into the teens. They arrive in their you know, their flying cars and everything else, but they're taking phone calls in phone booths because the concept that you could hold a cell phone in your hand and talk to somebody without allowing attached to it was a concept that was hard to grasp. A lot of those technologies are being developed right now, but until they become consumer ready, a lot of folks that aren't living and breathing in this space aren't aware of them. And so I think a lot of this is going to be transformational technology to the benefit of Americans. But what we've got to get the regulatory framework right so these innovators and developers are here in the US.
Speaker 2: Once the Clarity actis passed, do you believe the next priority will be crypto tax legislation, and then you know, do you believe after that maybe bitcoin reserve its won't.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm opening. I'm very open to walking and schewing government. At the same time, I think we can move forward on the tax piece, and we can move forward and look at bitcoin reserve. Also, I think the tax piece is really important. So much of our legislation just was not built for the digital age. That's true in the regulatory space, which is clarity. It's also true in the tax space and providing rules of the road in the tax space so people know, for example, what is the basis, when is it a taxable event? Is mining and staking? When does the tax event occur? What happens if you make a donation of digital assets? How do we rule and regulate the value of that inside the tax code. That's really important to get right. Again, the more clarity lower case c clarity in this case that we're providing in that space, the better off we are, and more and more people business and businesses will be willing to engage and innovate in the space. We've got to clean a lot of this up. But I think the tax good needs to go really in real time here. It's time that we have this cleaned up.
Speaker 3: Well. Congressman brand Steele, thank you so much for your time, and thank you for all your hard work and efforts. I think I speak for Tony as well when I say we both you have both of our support.
Speaker 1: Thank you, Thank you both,