Speaker 1: Today's percentI sponsor is Simply Safe Home security. Every political consultant will tell you hope is not a strategy. You don't wait until election night to see if your ground game works. But traditional security systems do exactly that. They play defense only after someone is already inside your house. Like not going a Way, Wisconsin.
Speaker 2: You know what I mean.
Speaker 3: That's exactly what it is.
Speaker 1: It's the traditional security system to Unlike traditional security systems that only alert you after a break in is already underway, simply Safe is designed to help stop intruders before they get inside. They got smart AI powered outdoor cameras that detect suspicious activity the perimeter in alert live US based agents to step in. Simply safes agents assess the threat intervening through the outdoor camera to scare off trespassers and call nine to one one for dispatch. Our CEO Lucinda recently the simply Safe system installed at her house. She got the indoor and outdoor cameras, the motion sensors, the windows and the door centers and soil. Her home is fully protected.
Speaker 2: She said. Installation was super easy.
Speaker 1: Everything has worked seamlessly since the day got done, and it gives her peace of mind knowing that her home is now protected by the good people over at simply Safe. Simply Safe has been protecting your world for twenty years. Right now you can get fifty percent off a new simply Safe system. Go to simplysafe dot com slash crooked. That's simplysafe dot com slash crooked for fifty percent off. There's no safe like simply Safe.
Speaker 4: Welcome to Podze of America. I'm Alex Wagner on today's show, MS Now is Chris Hayes dot By to talk about recent progressive wins, how Democrats find their path to victory in twenty twenty six and beyond, and who is winning the war for American attention. Chris and I dug into candidates strategies as the midterms draw ever closer, as well as how the Democratic Party can rally around its new Senate candidate in Michigan.
Speaker 3: Abdul al Saied.
Speaker 4: We also talk twenty twenty eight and how these midterms this November might influence the party in the wild ride ahead. It was a great conversation and we're going to get to it in just a minute, But first a little housekeeping.
Speaker 3: If you have not gotten tickets for Crooked Con. Yet, what are you doing?
Speaker 4: Here's another reason why you should at Crooked We believe the answer to right wing authoritarianism is a big, welcoming, fun pro democracy movement, So we have invited some of the biggest funniest voices online to all day Crooked Con. At Crooked Con, you will have the chance to meet creators and new media personalities who make sense of the news with humor and hot takes. They'll be popping around the Washington Convention Center hosting happy hours, q and as and workshops for attendees. They will also, be, of course, making content, because what happens at Crooked Con ends up online for every political nerd to see. Check out which creators are joining us so far at Crookedcon dot com and grab your tickets today post haste.
Speaker 3: See you in d C.
Speaker 4: Here's my conversation with ms now is Chris Hayes joining me now in a tank top. For those of you who are not watching on YouTube, you should be, Please hit subscribe while you're at it.
Speaker 3: Is the one. Oh look at those gun season What does it say? Suns out, guns out, guns suns out, guns out.
Speaker 4: Is the great Chris Hayes, buddy, It's always great to see you, especially in the summer.
Speaker 2: It's it's it's pure August right now, so I'm.
Speaker 3: Not it's giving real Friday.
Speaker 2: It's also on Friday in August, sure.
Speaker 4: Are so you know if you if you didn't think he was wearing a hot pink tank top and a gold chain drinking Celsius like there's no Sunday. Okay, I was hoping it was Celsius. That would have just been a little bit more on pros tonight.
Speaker 2: And that's that's a hard rule.
Speaker 3: Got It's a hard rule.
Speaker 2: One has had to enforce.
Speaker 3: Learn the hard way.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I was really excited when when we had a big primary on Tuesday and we thought, who can help us unpack what the fuck happens now? Who is wise but also just ballsy enough to say what they really think? And Chris Hayes, you're up on you won. Let's start with kind of where we sit, as you say, on Friday after the Michigan primary ahead of the Wisconsin primary, our progressives having a moment yes or no?
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean I think it's a huge you know, one of the weird things that happened in elections is we interpret the results against the benchmark of polls as opposed to the benchmark of like fundamentals. So, like, you know, I remember twenty twenty people, that was a disappointing election night for Democrats in twenty twenty because.
Speaker 2: It was all much closer than the polls had predicted.
Speaker 5: Yeah, Sarah Gideon was going to beat Susan Collins and she lost by twelve points.
Speaker 2: And you know, there's a bunch of races like that.
Speaker 5: So but you got to take a step back and say, what happy here was that the polling was wrong, right, the polling was a miss. So just look at the results. And the fact of the matter is you had a unabashed progressive candidate who has run statewide and primaries before and lost by twenty points. He ran against Gresham Whitner, win a narrow victory over a candidate who I think is not a great candidate, as like politicians go, not a great but did have the backing of the state party essentially behind her, both the incumbent Center Gary Peters and the incumbent govern Whitmer. You had sixty million dollars in outside spending on her side against Abdul Sayed and he emerged victorious in a swing state in which, look, there's a theory of the case here why a progressive outspook and progressive candidate can win a statewide swing state race. They have a theory of the case, and I think it's actually a relatively persuasive one. But it's also like there's real to be worried about it, and just like there is, I mean, there just is, like and despite all that, he did emerge victorious, and I just think there's no universe in which he would have emerged victorious two four six years ago. Like something is obviously happening among and let's be clear here the democratic primary electorate, which is a different electorate than the general electorate, right, and a different electorate than the presidential general electorate. We're talking about concentric circles. But yes, it was a huge win for progressives for sure.
Speaker 4: At the risk of sounding like I'm glazing for some of you use that term, Abdul also I had I do think there's really something to be said, like the redefinition of what electable means is changing, and the issues that he's talking about.
Speaker 3: It's the first time I've seen a glimmer.
Speaker 4: Of an authentic answer to what it means to be a populist and to be on the left and take rightfully the mantle of economic populism and like really appeal to working class voters in an authentically progressive way. That's like really steals it from Maga convincingly. Like I felt like he was very like, you know, abdul I, say, we'll talk about Israel on the second, but just on the economic issues, on healthcare, on jobs, Like he was relentless on beating this drum in a way that felt utterly authentic and very much in line with what democrats maybe should have been talking about for decades, for years now, if not a decade.
Speaker 5: Yeah, And I think that points to what the theory of the case for the progressive left is about how to win cross pressured swing state elections, right, is that people are pissed off of the status quo. They don't like foreign wars and money going abroad. Again, these are like the cross pressured voters you can win. They're pissed off with the economic status quo. Things are too expensive, and they are enraged at the billionaires and the corporations and the tech lords that want to put data centers in their backyards. And this is a cluster of issues that are both squarely in the kind of progressive populist wheelhouse and also can win people who aren't just down the line progressives, right, And if you focus that, that's the theory here and they I mean again, it's going to get tested.
Speaker 4: Oh, it's sure, it sure is both both and not just in Michigan. I mean I think also it's this is we're talking. These are precursors to national debates that we're going to be having for the next two years, and what.
Speaker 5: Happens here is going to have a huge impact on those national bates, particularly the presidential primary, about who and what is electable.
Speaker 4: So when you hear when we talk about Abdulph sai ed and to some degree where we talk about like Zora Mum Donnie, how do you square that with Abigail Spanberger and Mikey Cheryl and Corey Bush being beaten in Missouri by Wesley Bell, who was backed by Apak in the state and Marie Glusing camp Perez, who handily wins her primary and is one of the most centrist moderate Democrats in the House. Like, how do you just kind of say, I mean all politics is local, And if that's the case, then what does that portend for the national reckoning that's a foot come next year.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think one is. Yes.
Speaker 5: I mean it's sort of a boring and deflating thing to say all politics is local, but that is a big part of it. Like we're talking about very different constituencies in very different places, with different electorates and different issue profiles.
Speaker 2: That's one. Two.
Speaker 5: None of this stuff is linear, right, So it's like in the it's like the stock market goes up, but it goes down.
Speaker 2: It goes up, and it goes down.
Speaker 5: Over a thirty year period, it's gone up, right, So it's like, if you sort of take a step back, it's like, is the progressive left growing in strength inside the Democratic Party in the aggregate over the last ten years? Yes, like pretty clearly yes, right, Like since twenty sixteen. I think the answer is since the Bernie primary, you know, defeat. I think the answer is very clearly yes. Now in individual cases, that doesn't mean like they're winning everything, and no.
Speaker 2: There's there's a lot of variation.
Speaker 5: The last thing I would say here about Abdul said and Mom Donnie and this was true of Platner two before he dropped out.
Speaker 2: So think about what are the.
Speaker 5: Gates that you go to go through to become a candidate through the traditional what people call it establishment, let's say traditional channels. Right, It's like constituency relationships, relationships with mentors and other elected officials, endorsements from local groups, right, being good at navigating the politics of the coalition. Right, these are all things that you have.
Speaker 2: To be good at.
Speaker 5: Being a really, really great communicator is nice to have, but not necessary to ascend up the ranks in the traditional politics. So like Troy Jackson, yes exactly, who got pretty high in main politics. Or even Abigail Spaenberger is a perfectly good communicator, but she's not.
Speaker 3: Like electric electric.
Speaker 5: Right, If you were not going that route and you are going to have success, you have to be a really dazzling communicator. So you've got a different set of features that are being selected for. So the reason that you get Platiner lighting up Man on fire, and the reason that Mom Donnie is able to win that primary coming out of nowhere, and the reason I think Abdul said ends up winning a very hard fought split vote win is that they're just extremely gifted communicators. Now that's not all that matters in politics, because another thing that happens through the gate checking, that happens through the normal assent in.
Speaker 2: Politics is some vetting, is some like is this person got some stuff in their past, it's gonna blow up?
Speaker 5: And we saw like a rocket ascendency via tremendous charisma and political talent in grand Platner completely blowing up.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 5: So, but I think that distills down a little bit when you point to Mom Donnie and abdols I said, it's it's both and right. The ideological ferment has to be there, but you have.
Speaker 2: To be really good to capture.
Speaker 4: It because they well, okay, so where does that leave you on we're saying this, you're going to be hearing this episode on the eve of the Wisconsin primary where Francesca hang Well, who is not a dazzling communicator, no, and who Bernie Sanders, who's been kind of like a mini king maker in this primary series, is not on Pods of America with my colleague John Favor did not specifically endorse her. Do you have a theory of the case on that is that because there's a sense that she's going to lose, and she's actually one of the future stars of the party of the left of the party.
Speaker 5: There's a few things going on. One is the sort of there has been a sort of comedy of errors among the sort of establishment or the Democratic Party that has led to this moment in terms of Mandela Barnes drops out, Sarah Rodriguez, who is going to be who was kind of the sort of consensus pick but had an enormous kind of basically her finance director get a whole bunch of stuff she shouldn't have.
Speaker 2: It's unclear like the extent of it, but she drops out.
Speaker 5: So one is just like one of these kind of you know, a kind of car crash that happens that you're sort of around for. The other thing is, yes, there is a desire for there is the primary base, the primary voting Democratic base is to the left of both the median voter and the median Democratic politician. In a lot of cases, Hang is taking advantage of that. The other thing that's really important here is no one in that primary has gone up with tv ads but for the Republican super pac that spent five million dollars boosting home This is part of the thing that people have not talked about, but is a big part of the story there.
Speaker 2: No one else is spending.
Speaker 5: The state party in Wisconsin has a lot of money, partly because of how good a job Ben Wickler has done through the years. They won't spend until the general. They're not spending the primary. The primary candidates have been spending. There has been five million about dollars of outside money spent to boost Tong by Republican interests because they think she's she's beatable. And the last thing I'll say here what you see in Sanders not endorsing Hong and even Hassan Piker wrapping her on the knuckles for her Thanksgiving answer God, is that everyone actually understands that there's a penalty for ideological extremism.
Speaker 3: And that's good, but people kind of.
Speaker 2: Pretend not to.
Speaker 5: It's like we all get that there is kind of a bell curve of political views, and you do you don't want to be too far from the center, and everyone gets that, and everyone loves a winner. No one wants to be associated with a loser. So this sort of ascendant movement doesn't want to feel like Hong disproves their theory if and when she loses, because I don't think she's yes exactly.
Speaker 4: That people who like fireworks, yes, bad on people who like The Fourth of July.
Speaker 6: Positive America is brought to you by cook Unity. I love COO Community. I've been a Community customer for years, long before they ever sponsored this podcast. Just had a bunch this week. I had a great chicken seschuan salad. I had a Thai beef and rice dish that was really, really good, and I'm going to have it again tonight.
Speaker 2: Probably.
Speaker 6: Cook Unity is the first chef led meal delivery service that makes your meals and small batches inside local micro kitchens across the US, not factories, so every dish arrives with the kind of freshness you'd get at the restaurant itself. Meals from Michelin starred chefs, James Beard winners, and Food Network stars. Go to cookunity dot com slash crooked or use code crooked before check out for fifty percent off your first week. Cook Unity works with some of the best chefs in the country to bring creative, delicious meals to your door. There are hundreds of dishes to choose from, and the menu is updated constantly over ten different dietary preferences, high protein, low sodium, GLP one, pescatarian, gluten free, and more. Over twenty five global cuisines Mediterranean, Korean, Thai, Mexican, Italian, and more. Taste what happens when real award winning chefs make fresh, small, batched meals just for you. Go to Cookunity dot com slash crooked, or enter code crooked before checkout to get fifty percent off your first order. That's fifty percent off your first order by using code crooked or going to cookunity dot com slash crooked.
Speaker 1: This episode is sponsored by better Help. Better help as an average live therapy session rating of four point nine out of five based on over one point seven million client session reviews, The feedback from real people who have actually used the service speaks for itself. More than six million people have used better Help globally. Better Help therapists have at least three years and one thousand hours of hands on experience. They also hold all required education, training and certifications across a range of mental health specialties, meaning the perfect therapist for you could be just a few clicks away. Better Help makes it easy to get started. Answer a few questions, get matched with a therapist based on your needs, and switch therapists at any time if it's not the right fit. Listen, you guys have a lot going on your lives. You had family stuff, work stuff, just the news, country stot off, country stuff. The worst person in our country happens to be the president of our country. You should probably talk to somebody. Would benefit you to talk to somebody. Check out Better Help, see the reviews, see what stands out, and see if Betterhelp is right for you. Visit betterhelp dot com slash PSA that's better HGLP dot com slash PSA.
Speaker 3: I bet I know where you sit on this.
Speaker 4: But like Ram Emmanuel, who's probably running from president in twenty twenty eight, is very worried about the DSAY the Democratic Socialist of America and Rights in a Wall Street Journal op ed this week. When the DSA attempts to turn safe democratic states and districts a darker shade of blue, Democratic candidates and swing districts are put at a distinct disadvantage. Should twenty twenty eight ers just shut the fuck up about the DSA.
Speaker 3: For right now?
Speaker 4: Like, what is the answer there? How would you like to see them grapple with this dynamic.
Speaker 5: Well, part of the thing I would say is that I think there's a like there is there's a kernel of truth to it, But also are you helping by putting your attention on it? If the whole.
Speaker 4: Process, if you're wrong, you've alienated a crucial part of the base that you're going to actually need to try and win over.
Speaker 5: This is a real and this is a real paradox. I think of what we might call like this term that got start used as popularism, right, which is a broad term that Democrats had to sort of move back to center, align themselves with the with views that had majority support. And there's a certain weak version of that argument that's almost tautologically true, like yeah, when you run for office, you want to be nearish the center of the voters that you're appealing to. Now, the question of like what is the center and what's the issue space and what's salient and how you get it as a whole complicated thing, and it's harder than it looks. But one of the things that we saw happened with the Labor Party in the UK, which tested this theory. They came into office and they're like we're going to engage in a bunch of high salience, high profile fire heights with the left flank of our party, which meant we're going to put immigration and trans issues in the paper all the time. There are worst issues, we know that from the polling, but we're going to pick a bunch of high profile fights. So everyone's constantly talking about it all the time.
Speaker 2: And guess what. It didn't work now, because why would you want to talk about the things Even if you're trying to get to the center on it, you end up raising the salient.
Speaker 3: So it's like, don't workshop it.
Speaker 2: In problem Rom thinks.
Speaker 5: That Josh Turik is being hurt at the margin by Daria Lisa Chevalier winning her primary in Washington Heights, which is not a crazy idea. Why does talking about that in the Wall Street Journal help it?
Speaker 3: She already won, she won, Hey the Wall Street Journal.
Speaker 5: At this point, how are you helping him by being like, boy, these people are really a problem and they're going to be a problem for the Josh Cheriks of the world.
Speaker 2: Just talk about something else. That's not helping Josh.
Speaker 4: Uric, right, and it's nor is it dissuading people in the DSA from mounting like making their case right, because the other.
Speaker 2: Thing is she won that election, right. The voters are the voters. Now, Can I argue against myself for a second? Two?
Speaker 4: Sure? I mean that's why we thought you would do both of these things. This is why we only need one booking today.
Speaker 5: Because I do think there's a little bit of this. I want to say to my friends on the progressive left, let's all just concede the fundamental idea that a primary electorate can select a candidate who is poorly optimized for a general election.
Speaker 3: Yes, which we've.
Speaker 4: Seemed literally this many many years now under Donald Trump.
Speaker 5: Of course, so it's like the idea of like, well, who's electable now we just won the primary. It's like, no, no, no, that's a different electorate. That doesn't mean anything like And I again, I think most people thinking more sophisticated fashion clearly that folks in Michigan do like like we said earlier, I'll say it has a theory of the case, but I do think there's a little bit of this. Like the way I think about it is, in order to get to the NBA, a basketball player has to have a completely delusional sense of their own ability or they won't make it. That is an adaptive quality in the player, but the scouts can't have that, and the other people have to be clear eyed to win as a candidate, to be Zora Mom Downey, you have to have a kind of delusion of your own ability, but everyone else should be pretty clear eyede that like, yeah, you're there's a trade off about where you are on the ideological spectrum. That that and it is possible that you engineer a very motivated, disproportionately highly educated Democratic primary electorate that selects for candidates who are too ideologically extreme to win generals.
Speaker 2: This is just obviously a true.
Speaker 4: Thing, right, So just because you're winning the primary doesn't mean the taildr is primaries aren't generals.
Speaker 5: Yeah, Blake Master won the primary. You know, Robinson won the primary down North Carolina.
Speaker 3: Christeam I'm Christine m o witch o'donald.
Speaker 4: I wonder I'm always like galled by this, and I kind of wonder where you sit because Donald Trump's making hay as every single Republican in the party about the fact that Democratic socialists are in the vanguard and they're all commies and they're going to be coming for your money and your children should they win in twenty twenty six and twenty twenty eight. At the same time that Donald Trump is like nationalizing private enterprise and has these like federally run gas stations up and down the East coat like he's practicing socialism, and like, I'm not going to art, like maybe it's time for the federal government to like gas subsidies. I mean, there's a case to be made for a lot of this intervention. And I'm not saying we should be nationalizing private enterprise. But should Democrats point out the sort of socialist tendencies of this administration as hypocrisy or is it just too fraught to be aligning yourself in any way with the most questionable parts of the Trump agenda.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's a great question. I mean it's a really important intellectual point where which is that I have never seen a president in my lifetime who was more antagonistic to free markets, to the fundamental sort.
Speaker 4: Of like he's like gas is too high, Chevron and ex un are making too much profit.
Speaker 5: He does he truly does not believe in free markets, and he truly is illiberal on that sense.
Speaker 2: In the old classical like sense of.
Speaker 5: The word, like remember Adam Smith Wels of Nations is written as a polemic against what tarriffs and mercantilism like. Donald Trump is fundamentally authoritarian, illiberal, and believes in a personalist controlled economy in which he makes all the choices, and also believes like as a fund as one of his core ideological commitments. Bizarrely, along with like women and people of color inferior, is that like tarriffs are how everything works.
Speaker 2: Like truly believes to his heart, like.
Speaker 5: In his like the deepest part of him. So he's a mess. Ideologically, he is totally hot. Still the free markets. One of the things you've seen that's interesting in actually in the polling is that if you ask people about socialism and capitalism, socialism is gaining over capitalism, but people like the notion of free markets, and they also increasingly like the notion of free trade, including people who consider themselves the most sympathetic DSA, which is fascinating. I don't think the hypocrisy thing matters as much as just being like everything's expensive and he doesn't care about you.
Speaker 2: He's corrupt.
Speaker 5: No, I'm serious, Like, yeah, there's no point in making an ideological argument against him.
Speaker 4: I just mean as a rejoinder to like they're all commedis and socialists. It's like, well, actually, you're the fucking socialist. But then that's sort of painting Donald Trump with a socialist brush, which is a turn off to every It's like a boner killer for everybody.
Speaker 5: That's right, he's something totally different, you know what I mean, Like he's in his own category. He's like a psycht pre Adam Smith monarch.
Speaker 4: Okay, well then that settles that. No more mention of Donald Trump's socialist policies. I do. We have to get to the thing that is actually like that.
Speaker 3: It's not the third rail.
Speaker 4: I don't know, It's like it is the thing that I think this week has taught us, and maybe this season is teaching us, which is Israel. And I want to get at something that Ryan Broderck over at Garbage Day Rights. The Democratic twenty twenty six Democratic Civil War is a rat's nest of different schisms. It's young versus old, labor versus capital, maybe progressivism versus the status quo, populism versus elitism. Perhaps more than anything though, it is a conflict between the Democrats that are willing to accept money from pro Israel organizations and those who aren't.
Speaker 3: Is that fair, Chris.
Speaker 5: I think it's been one of the biggest fissures. And I do think that there's something about There's a few things. One is that I think Apak has made and they don't care what I think enormous tactical error.
Speaker 3: I know, I agree, you're in service of their goals.
Speaker 5: Yes, And here's the argument I'm going to make. They have relied on a strategy of attempting to trick voters as opposed to making their case. So what they have done in all these cases, and it happened to me and the New York Times ran an analysis of this is they have spent enormous amounts of money. Some of the most expensive primaries in history are all Apec primaries. Jamal Bowman, you know before that the Cordy Bush one was very expensive. The Cory Bush was abelt when this time was spent five million in a relatively small, uh you know house race. They spent thirty here, there's another thirty that we still don't know what it was because we don't have the disclosures yet. So like, maybe was that maybe not and in all the cases, the vast majority of the ads they ran were not about Israel. They were attempts to paint the person that they were attacking as often insufficiently loyal to the Democratic Party. Yeah, that's not what they actually believe, and it's not the case they're trying to make to the public. I think it is both toxic for the discourse and also self defeating to spend tons of money in the attempt to essentially trick the voters. I think it would have been better to spend the money being like, we think Israel is a good hall I what Hamasta was horrible. They're defending themselves or whatever you want to say, right right, here's why iron Dome is important, and in fact, having Iron Dome leads to less Israeli fatalities, which also does lead to better outcomes in the region. Whatever argument you want to make, they're not making that argument. And there is something insidious about the combination of all of this money where you're trying to trick the voters, and then when people call the money out, you're like, that's out of line.
Speaker 3: That's anti semic.
Speaker 5: It's like there's this old expression I love, which is like throwing rocks and hiding hands. It is a lot of throwing rocks and hiding hands for me back at this point, and I sort of feel like, look, it's a free country, and you've got a view, and that view is shared. There's a lot of Democrats that share that view. There's a lot of particularly Jewish Democrats in my life who share that view, who are defensive of the state of Israel, and they think it's under season, under threat, and they don't like the direction the Democratic Party is going on it. You have to make that argument and have the argument on its terms and not attempt to use the catastrophic Citizens United's decision to pour a ton of money into races in the hopes of tricking voters into electing a person allied with you, but not on the terms of.
Speaker 2: The thing you actually agree in.
Speaker 5: And I think that has been an absolutely poisonous toxic And it's not I want to be clear, it's not just them. Crypto has been doing the same thing. AI is doing the same thing. This idea that you're going to come in in primaries with this agenda and try to get voters to vote for your candidate, not by making an argument that crypto is good or AI shouldn't be regulated, but rather that like that person is not didn't vote for Kamala Harris or whatever you think is going to get the primary voter. I just think it's a really toxic way of doing politics that's been incredibly destructive.
Speaker 4: It really pushes the debate off into completely different territory.
Speaker 5: Well, and it also it also ends up it has ended up connecting in the minds of people the Israel lobb the Israel interests and big money yes and big dark night, which is not a connection that you want to create.
Speaker 3: You know, it's not a good connection for israry.
Speaker 5: You want to say is like, look, there's actually a lot of people in the Democratic Party who agree with us, like we're representing them. And again that's fine, Like I I have different views than APEC does on the conduct of the war in Gaza and a bunch of other stuff, but it's true that there's a lot of Democrats who agree with them, right.
Speaker 4: Totally that case you gotta make that No one's yes, no one's making that case. And instead APAC is aligned with like nefarious outside spending and trick trickery effectively, and so I guess So the inversion of that is Abdul al say, yeah, you know, to great effect, talked about all the APAC money that was flooding his race. They overwhelmingly supported Hailey Stevens. The APAC is now considering pouring millions of dollars into the general election race between Mike Rogers and Abdul al Sayed. Do you think that for a general election campaigning against APAX outside spending is a useful tool.
Speaker 3: For Abdul al Sayed?
Speaker 4: Or like where is the benefits get the who gets the upper hand?
Speaker 3: And I think it probably is.
Speaker 5: Actually, and again I want to express some sympathy with the critique that there is something oogie about the like constant invocation of the.
Speaker 3: Dark yes, very dark Jewish money.
Speaker 4: Yeah, totally, there is an latent anti Semitism or explicit people.
Speaker 5: Getting uncomfortable with that. I don't think it's crazy. The problem is that it is a fact of the matter. That and the other thing is if you're gonna have sixty million dollars or thirty million dollars dropped on your head, the.
Speaker 2: Only thing that you could do is call it out.
Speaker 3: So it's like, do you think it meaningfully?
Speaker 4: Do you think else, I AD's ability to use a pack's sort of weaponization against him is more useful to him in the general than the money that Mike Rodgers could actually get from a pack.
Speaker 5: Well, I think because there's going to be an enormous amount of money dropped on his head in that race.
Speaker 2: That's going to be across the board.
Speaker 5: It's not like APAC won't be a small fraction of it, because it's gonna be a ton of that Senate Majority pack stuff like the the you know, I think calling out that is actually very useful, like just as a general thing. And in the general most of the money won't be you know, buy and large is going to be outside money from corporate interests that have all given money to Donald Trump or to Mitch McConnell's pack or whatever. And in that case, I think just taking the same line, which is like these people want to like jack up your oil prices, and they want to put data centers in your backyard, and they close down your hospitals so you can get cast tax cuts, and they're spending one hundred and fifty two hundred million dollars to beat me. And I think that's you know, you use the same line there, because again, what else can you do other than you know, he's not he's He's probably going to be outspent from the outside in this race because Republicans are going to put you know, a lot of money into that race.
Speaker 3: Well, it could be the rate.
Speaker 4: I mean that in main, God forbid you are a television viewer in either one of those states in the coming months.
Speaker 7: Pod Save America's brought you by blinds dot Com. There's a version of your home you haven't lived in yet, where the light behaves, where the rooms feel finished, where you sleep until you decide to wake up. Blinds dot Com is spent thirty years making it easy to find the perfect fit. With over twenty five million windows covered and fifty thousand five star reviews, you can feel confident you are in good hands. Whether you want to go full DIY, bring in licenses that it pros to handle, the measure and install, or land somewhere in between, You're always in control. They make it simple to choose the level of support that works best for you, with flexibility every step of the way. No pushy salespeople, no awkward and home visits, just real advice on your schedule. They'll even ship samples to your door fast and free. Choose from a huge variety of style options at prices that fit any budget. Everything is backed by blinds dot COM's one hundred percent satisfaction guaranteed. Because at blinds dot Com, the only thing they treat better than windows, it's you. We have Blinds dot Com great. We installed these electric shades. I don't even know what the term is. We operate it with a button or remote, so that because it gets super snyt different times of the day, it's super hot in the office. It's made a huge difference. It made the office much better. They're great Blinds. They came in, they installed them, took basically no time, and they're great. And right now, blinds dot Com is giving our listeners an exclusive fifty dollars off when you spend five hundred dollars or more. Just use code Crooked at checkout. Limited time. Offer rules and restrictions apply. See blinds dot Com for details.
Speaker 4: I want to ask about the flip side of all this, which is, let's talk about it, Hassan Piker. This is what Hassan Piker had to say after Abdulla Al said one Michigan and people began talking about what he needed to do next.
Speaker 8: Here's that clip, like everyone being like Abdullah is a fuck ton of work to do, mending bridges. Here's the fucking take nuke for you.
Speaker 2: Okay, you are all.
Speaker 8: Unbelievably islamophobic pieces of shit. Okay, you literally called the dude a fucking terrorist for months on end, and like called him a sexist, misogynist terrorist. Bad candidate doesn't fake doctor when he has like two fucking degrees. And now you're gonna sit there and be like, well, you know, you've really got to come to me now, like what are you talking about? Do you want to fucking win or not? Lock the fucking Okay, lock the fucking And I do worry that there are some out there who, in an effort to make sure that they that this narrative that a p can win in a state like Michigan doesn't take root, will literally either subtly or you know, not so secretively endorse Mike Rogers.
Speaker 4: Okay, it is some deep paranoia that people democrats so so threatened by the rise of democratic socialists and hardcore progressives on the left wing would support Mike Rogers over Abdul alsai Ad we can unpack that in a second, but just more broadly, like what the fuck should happen here with Hassan Piker? Like what should Democrats do? I mean, is this the case where it's like, don't talk about it? Should abdul elsiad continue to campaign with him? We're going to get to like his reach in a second, but just as a specific political actor, like should other.
Speaker 3: Democrats be talking about him?
Speaker 4: I was on Deadline White House with Nicole Wallace and she wanted to ask Mallory mcmorro about Hassan Piker, and I was just like, this just is not good for anybody on like what should happen here?
Speaker 3: Chris?
Speaker 2: I don't really know.
Speaker 5: I mean one level, like I think there's a little irony in like every the whole discourse being like the left needs of Joe Rogan and then like getting the closest thing to it and being like not like that, not like that, not like that.
Speaker 4: No, no, no, note who says it's things.
Speaker 5: It's like do you ever watch Joe Rogan's show and says he says crazy stuff all the time, Like it's like and I do think I mean the difference in this case. I think there's a difference between going on someone's show and campaigning with them hugely, right, So, like, I think you can go on lots of people shows. I've been on Bill Marshaw, Bill Marsais all sort.
Speaker 7: Of You know that.
Speaker 2: Not only do I disagree with he says some things I really like find Oh yeah, pretty pretty brong like.
Speaker 3: And more of and more more often with greater frequency.
Speaker 5: Yeah, so but I'll you know, again, it's a free like, it's a free country. So the big question is campaigning with I don't think it makes a ton of sense in a general election, frankly to campaign with a sun biker. I think you also can't control what a thirty five year old streamer is gonna say. I also think that he is learning the lesson that like, with great power comes great responsibility and like, no, seriously, I mean it's one thing. It's one thing to be like, Look, this is a dude who streams like seven days a week for years. Do you know the amount of words he said, Like, you're gonna say some stuff, and part of the part of the genre of what he's doing is saying stuff. I'm reminded a lot of Marcos Malita Sniga, who was who played a somewhat similar rule a generation ago.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the Dai.
Speaker 5: Daily cos and was would say pretty like you know, provocative things and would would curse and be like f these people don't, And there was also an attempt to sort of tie him. I also sort of feel like I don't know how much the guilt by association works in the era of Donald Trump. Like the man had dinner with Nick Flentes.
Speaker 4: Yeah, like not even for any purpose other than like, let's break bread.
Speaker 3: I just think, let's hang out.
Speaker 2: I want to hear what.
Speaker 4: You're trying to get his kids thinking about these days, Nick, in your point of view, Nick, so I do think there's a little bit of like the associational politics have have lost a little bit of their sting.
Speaker 5: But the other thing is like, if Hassan Piker wants to contribute to the success of the movement, like he's probably gonna have to watch what he says a lot more and like that that's not that fun for him. And I get that, like he's been in a different lane. But one of the things that all of us, I think, with public platforms start to learn is that like your words of consequences yeah, And it doesn't mean that you like say things you don't believe. It doesn't mean you don't say things you do believe. But it does mean that like how you select your words and the way that you communicate really does matter. And I think that's going to be true across the board. The other thing I'll just say on the substance of what he was saying was I don't kind of party's not dumbe. They need him to win so they could have power, Like they're all gonna they've all consolidated behind him.
Speaker 4: They're not so anti DSA that they would literally see control.
Speaker 2: Of this They want to control of the United States Senate. But believe me, like very badly believe him, they truly do want that.
Speaker 3: So so probably not.
Speaker 5: But the other thing I'll say too, in the same way that I said, it's like a little bit of buy the ticket, take the ride, where it's like APAX spent that money. And the cost of that is that you're going to get called out. Ye, like Abdul said, made a choice to campaign with the House on Piker. I think it probably helped in the primary. And the cost of that is people are going to criticize that and you got to like, that's by the ticket, take the ride, and you got to come up with the way you're gonna talk about it. I thought that I thought the two best responses this was Debbie. Did you see Debbie Dingell talking to Credit Vancester.
Speaker 3: Yes?
Speaker 5: Or she's just like he's a way to reach a lot of young people who we have a hard time reaching. And he looks good when he works out.
Speaker 2: This is this is the Devytingle take.
Speaker 5: And I was like, you know what, this is a person who is a conduit to reach people who are outside the system that I want to reach. And that's and that's important to me. And that doesn't mean that I agree with everything he says. They doesn't send things I think are really gross and wrong.
Speaker 4: Right, you do not have to endorse and turn the values of every person that interviews you.
Speaker 2: That's right, or endorses you or even works you know what I mean.
Speaker 5: Like, And I also thought that the AOC's response to the TMZ's reporter, I can't believe I just said that that sentence.
Speaker 2: Who said the AOC's response.
Speaker 5: To the TMZ reporter, who is like, aren't you worried about Like it's not just socialists and there's going to be communists. And she's like, I'm not the belief police. People can believe they want to believe. I believe what I believe. I'm going to try to do what I'm going to do, like and I do think that like that's another way of sort of threading the needle here.
Speaker 4: I think it's also just I think what I'm hearing in your response is it's like about frankness. It's about honesty. It's about not apologizing but also not glossing over the rougher parts.
Speaker 2: And don't get defensive.
Speaker 5: The other thing, though, too is and this is the thing Momdannie's good about, is like you gotta pivot to what you.
Speaker 2: Want the election to be about. Yeah, And right.
Speaker 5: Now there's like both the both the sort of mainstream media and the right wing media are like, this is an election about what Hassan Piker said about nine to eleven seven years ago. By the way, can I just say this, Ron Johnson, the sitting senator from Wisconsin, is a fully avowed nine to eleven truther, And somehow this is like not a score I'm gonna do. I think I'm gonna do it either day or soon, because I've had a whole thing about this. It's the craziest thing his He has gone to conferences. He has said basically he thinks Building seven was a controlled demo, like the full one. Yeah, jet fuel doesn't milt steel like all the stuff that you and I twenty years ago we're hearing from like KOOKI people outside like an anti war rally, like and I mean certainly legit, like straight down the line, like and people have been run out of public life, they have been hounded. Van Jones had to leave his job in the White House because he signed something that was like very tangentially related to nine to eleven Truth about we need an investigation, YadA YadA, and Ron Johnson's like sitting center just being like, yeah, we I think probably I don't know, but looks like it might have been an inside job. It's like and they want to like have these crazy nine to eleven discussions anyway.
Speaker 2: It's just I can't get over that.
Speaker 4: A good note, good note, just I mean, as a reminder, the depravity and delusion on the right far out weighs literally anything.
Speaker 5: Ron Johnson's on nine to eleven Truth or someone talked to him about that, Like Mike Rodgers was talking about this, I'm like, go call up Ron Johnson and get his takes on nine to eleven.
Speaker 2: It totally like, what do you think about that?
Speaker 4: Speaking of alternative facts, No, not alternative facts, but alternative egos. We were talking about Hassan Piker largely because of his sphere of influence, and there is a real kind of gut check happening inside democratic politics right now about what kind of media matters, what kind of messaging is resonant.
Speaker 3: Ryan Broderck, who I quoted.
Speaker 4: Before from Garbage Day, is like lays out the two axes as he sees them. One is the institutional axis, which includes cable news podcasts hosted by former Obama and Biden bros. So we are guilty as charged, the New York Times, Axios, Politico, the Washington Post blah blah blah, the related substacks and x accounts with those folks. And then new media, which is leftist streamers like a San Piker YouTube essayss. He calls them dark woke podcasters, Ryan Grimm and drop site news, Blue Sky users, short from form video content from the DSA random shit posters. You are an expert in the attention economy, where do you see, like if you're mapping out in your twenty twenty eight presidential campaign or even your next three months in your midterm election campaign, like where who matters? Where is the like what is most relevant in terms of, you know, speaking to the voter.
Speaker 5: I do think one frustration that I had that I expressed in one of the chapters in The Sirens Call, my book about the attention economy that had a chapter of politics, and that I said a lot when I was doing the book tour when it came out, is the risk aversion of democratic political class, consultant class, and around interviews had to go away Like Hailey Stevens.
Speaker 3: She never came and got her interview. Thank you very much.
Speaker 2: Well, she was a good example, right, It.
Speaker 4: Was a great example. Like repeated entreaties begging, what can we make work?
Speaker 3: Nothing? Nothing can ever work.
Speaker 2: Go talk to people. I think that is actually a big thing. You got to go talk to people.
Speaker 5: And I think actually that's it actually connects to one of the things we're seeing in the Democratic primary electorate, which is that people want good talkers because they felt like they didn't get them. And I like Joe Biden, who in his prime was a great I mean a truly Fidel Castro level talker, right, I mean the man, the man good talk, truly the gift of gab.
Speaker 2: That was not the case of the Joe Biden that was you know, in the White.
Speaker 4: House basement or basement Joe the campaigner.
Speaker 5: And like Kamala Harris is I would say, a perfectly proficient communicator as a politician, but she is not a particularly great one.
Speaker 3: I would I would go one step further.
Speaker 4: I think she's remarkably risk averse and that she wants very very controlled environments and that's and that's not politics.
Speaker 3: That's just not politics.
Speaker 5: Very risk averse and very wary in extemporaneous settings, and so I think there is a desire. Dave Weigel has made this point. I think I even I sort of thought of this, but he's kind of articulated of.
Speaker 2: Like, we want a really good talker, and it's.
Speaker 3: Like Barack Obama, great talker, really.
Speaker 2: Good at talking, And again talking is not I talk for a living. So I rate it.
Speaker 5: I sort of both rate it highly and I also look for it because I, you know, literally this phrase good talkers. I think that we use in.
Speaker 3: Our booking, meeting booking, and it's like, is.
Speaker 2: Good talker correlated with Donald Trump?
Speaker 5: I hate to say it in his own weird way, isn't good talk great less?
Speaker 4: So now? But I mean I went to so many Trump rallies and that guy could just do a routine for an hour and a half like and loved it.
Speaker 5: So does it mean that the person is like gonna be good at the job. No, Unfortunately those two things don't have a great correlation. But it's also the case that and so the reason this all relates back to your question about where you go is I think you got to be willing to go everywhere, and I think you've got to get your reps in and you got to be good at talking. And I think you've got to be good at talking. I mean, this is one of the things that gotta you know, dvance, dvance will go goes everywhere. He liked, and he liked, he likes to mix it up up with th goes on the view he got like. All of that I think is actually really important. And again, the other thing about volume is the more of it there is, the less people obsess over a single gaff, like you just go do another inter because like, remember when he said the dumb thing about you know, cat ladies, like and that was you know, he's.
Speaker 4: Still talking about the cat ladies, and that lady hurt him.
Speaker 5: For sure, that hurt him, but also it kind of ended up being swallowed by the sheer volume.
Speaker 2: I mean, Trump is.
Speaker 4: The sheer volume of shit that's coming out of his mouth.
Speaker 5: Well, well true, but I also think that like that's kind of partly the way it works. So I do think that I don't know like how you rank. But the other thing I would say is I talked to someone the other day. He said, of an electorate that you're dealing with, the sort of operative rule of thumb these days is about fifty percent you can reach through TV and fifty percent or just like completely off TV. And that to me is like the fundamental structural thing that people have to reckon with. And part of what I wrote about in my book is that in the kind of TV dominant era that sort of starts really in the sixties and sort of extends, I think all the way through for like the next forty or fift years American politics, it's like you raise money and the money is used to buy TV ads. Yeah, and that is most of what a campaign is, raising money running the ads. And when you're down to fifth only fifty percent of the electure its being reached that way, you.
Speaker 2: Still got to do that part.
Speaker 5: Like we saw this actually, I think with the Stevens race, I mean, I think part of the reason those numbers, there's a bunch of reasons that her numbers in rural areas were.
Speaker 3: Not as bad as they should have been.
Speaker 2: Well, no, they were.
Speaker 5: They were higher than anticipated, partly because that was the place that was getting TV.
Speaker 4: Yeah, like those are the people that are watching TV too, I mean.
Speaker 5: Both older, Like you're not doing a lot of there's not like a bunch of local press there.
Speaker 2: You're not doing a bunch of events there, and so.
Speaker 5: It's like there's huge swaths of your life that like the way they're going to learn about this race is like they're watching TV and they're getting that. So you can't give up on that. But you've got to have a theory of the case to the other fifty percent.
Speaker 4: I'm going to I'm going to interpret what you're saying slightly differently because what I'm hearing is and I would probably put it more like sixty forty, like forty percent of the people are getting it on TV, just because if you look at those numbers, which I'm I'm sure you don't actually in order to survive your day, like the demographic numbers are. It's just an increasingly old audience, right, But that social media and shit posting and shit posters and those accounts are now equally as important as broadcast television, and that is actually a sea change from even like eight years ago or four years ago, and that that actually really does matter, and that doing more media is in some ways less impactful, but also is a little bit of an insurance policy against the mistakes that you're inevitably going to make by doing long form interviews, which I think the real essential fear. It's not that I'm going to do an interview that doesn't matter. It's like, oh, I'm gonna fucking how do I throw an hour and a half with Alex Cooper without having to talk about whatever? Willie Brown, I don't fucking know, you know something that's like uncomfortable for me?
Speaker 3: Yes, yeah, But also.
Speaker 5: Learning how to talk about uncomfortable things is kind of an important skill.
Speaker 4: Well, and if anybody's shown you I mean, if there's one lesson for Democrats to take away from the Trump years, it's like, you can do some crazy shit and as long as you are.
Speaker 3: Authentic about it.
Speaker 4: And I'm not saying anybody should try and model Donald Trump's fucking behavior, but.
Speaker 5: It's like, how many bad interviews did that guy give that, Like we're like these, I mean the moment where you know, Hilman and Alpernd ask him for his favorite passage, the Bible of them, kim telling Chris Matthews that you got to punish the woman on a board. I mean, you know, there's a million.
Speaker 4: And they don't even like those aren't even at my fingertips. In terms of his worst moments, Like, there's so many I'm reaching there, like.
Speaker 5: The archives of course, the like I like people that weren't captured, like which was the original one.
Speaker 4: Or I don't really care about American's financial situation. That was some podcast interview, but anyway, that's just him fucking talking.
Speaker 6: Poddave America is brought to you by mint Mobile. Summer means a well deserved break, some extra time to stretch out and relax. Mint Mobile thinks you deserve a break, too, which is why they created the Mint Mobile Summer Sale. Right now, all of Mint's plans are fifteen dollars per month, even unlimited. So free yourself from big wireless and their gimmicks and gotcha's and switched to Mint for high speed data and coverage on the T mobile five G network. Mintmobile took what's wrong with wireless and made it right with premium wireless for fifteen bucks a month on America's largest five G network. You can even bring your current phone and your number, choose from three, six or twelve month plans and say goodbye to a monthly bill. Ditch overpriced wireless with Mint Mobile. It's so easy. Sign up online and get three months of premium wireless service for fifteen bucks a month. To get your new wireless plan for just fifteen bucks a month, go to mintmobile dot com slash crooked. That's mintmobile dot com slash crooked. Cut your wireless bill to fifteen bucks a month at mintmobile dot com comm slash crooked. That's it.
Speaker 7: There's no catch up front payment of forty five dollars or three months, ninety dollars for six months, or one hundred and eighty dollars for twelve months. Plan required fifteen dollars per month equivalent taxes and fees extra initial plan term only greater than fifty gigabytes may slow when network is busy. Includes up to twenty gigabyte hotspot capable device required availability, speeding, coverage veries mint mobile dot com.
Speaker 3: All right, I have two more for you.
Speaker 4: One is, you know, we began this conversation talking about expectation setting and how if you're trying to understand where the sort of zeitgeist is at in terms of democratic politics, like maybe leave the polling out of it, because polling storts expectations and therefore also results. You know, Nate Silver, the great Statisian, was talking about the polling that led up to primary day in Michigan that showed Abdul I'll say, ed with like a very very healthy lead. He of course goes on to win by like a point, and I think everybody had flashbacks to the An Saltzer poll which was off in twenty twenty four by a whopping sixteen points and had showed Kamala Harris winning the state. Abdulla is now saying he's going to beat Mike Rogers by seven points. His campaign has a history of releasing internal polling. All of this seems like highly sus maybe something you don't want to do if you're you know, as someone who follows this all this stuff closely. Should everybody just shut the fuck up about polling? Should we stop looking at polling numbers entirely? Like what do we do about polling?
Speaker 2: Well? I think that primary.
Speaker 5: I think primary polling is always hard, and particularly Michigan where people don't register for a party, We've seen a bunch of these cases that both the Obama Clinton one was a surprise and then the Bernie Hillary one was a big surprise. So there there's been a real history of specifically Michigan Democratic primary polling misses. Yeah, so I think there's partly that. Again, I think it's like the the thing about pulling is it's best in just.
Speaker 2: The general aggregate as like a directional point.
Speaker 4: Is it though like sixteen points Abdul was up by a seventeen points, it's not wasn't good for his support? Like, just what is the utility of it? That's a lot off?
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean, I think when right, when something's off by that much, there's no utility. But I don't think that's usually the standard miss you know, I mean, like even like if you look at what the you know, what was the twenty twenty four presidential like a close race decided by a few points in either direction.
Speaker 3: Yeah, right, fine, there was, right, I mean, you know what I mean.
Speaker 5: Like part of the problem is, here's my general thing about pulling, and this doesn't really respond to Michigan. This is more about broader stuff from presidential pulling. In a country as polarized as ours it, we want a level of specificity that it can't deliver because in our country, a point or two matters a ton in frontline swing races, in the state senate, in the statewide senate races, a point or two is probably determinative.
Speaker 2: Polling is not gonna be great at telling you a point.
Speaker 5: So, like, my general takeaway is that, like the Paxton Tall Rico race right now is close in anyone's race. My general takeaway of the polling that we've seen is that Michigan's going to.
Speaker 2: Be close, very close. You know that Maine is going to be really close. Nothing more than that.
Speaker 4: So so like like ignore the numbers, take the vibe like yeah, like generalized.
Speaker 5: Yes, and like yes, now again, if it's off by thirteen, there's nothing you can do with it.
Speaker 2: But it is rare. That is a pretty rare pollingness.
Speaker 4: Okay, fine, So whoever commissioned that poll does not need to leave their job like the poor and Seltzer.
Speaker 5: Let me just say that there were multiple internals they released, which I think was like a weird sigh up that I think blew back and was yeah, not a good But there were also public independent polls, including Emerson, which is a highly rated pulster that has that double digits, and I still haven't seen the full autopsy of what went wrong there. The Seltzer one is that she just completely modeled the elect Here's a big problem to something that pulsters have been dealing with since twenty sixteen is that the kinds of people who are highly involved and highly educated are the most likely to respond to polls, and those people are also the most liberal, right, And this is a fact about the world that every polster has been trying to model and methodologically get their way out of. But it is a fact about the world that wasn't true in the past. It was not true in the past that your likelihood to respond to a poll correlated with your ideology in any way, it is increasingly the case it is, and so now you have to model your way out of that, and that leads to a lot of modeling assumptions that introduce a lot of uncertainty.
Speaker 4: That was very judicious, that assessment, Chris, We're going to return to the man who sits before me in a gold chain and a pink tank top for this last one, which is we're sitting at this moment. I feel like so much of this season of democratic politics has been defined by the questions around masculinity and power. Right, there's Platner, yep, there's Swallwell in California gubernatorial race. Obviously main senate race. Max Miller is currently in a house race, refuses to drop out despite like very serious allegations of abuse, and otherwise Representative Chuck Edwards is out with some ridiculous reporting about what he's been doing. We went to Brown University, which we're prone to bring up all the time, and I think I sound like a Brown graduate when I start talking about the essence of sort of like the fall of the patriarchy, defining the kind of chaos in the political landscape. But I do think it has a lot to do with why we had Barack Obama and then Donald Trump and then Donald Trump again, and this sort of crisis of like how to be a man? And like Donald Trump has come up with one modality of masculinity which is real fucking vile if you ask me, but is intoxicating to both men and women, especially if they're white. And Democrats have had a really hard time figuring out, like what is what is man who had look like coming from the left, and like you see these attempts at finding new models, whether it's hasan Piker or I guess to some degree, Gavin Newsom or Grand Platner, and like it hasn't really they haven't found the.
Speaker 3: Shoe that fits.
Speaker 4: I don't think yeah, And I'm not saying that Gavin Nusen's chances aren't significant, but like, do you have a theory about how the Democrats should begin to try and answer, like what is the rejoinder to like the vile masculinity of the right, because that's going to be I think essential and figuring out who should leave the party or be part of the leadership of the party in the coming years.
Speaker 2: I don't have a good answer to that, But it's something that I puzzle over a lot. I do think. I'll say it is kind of interesting because.
Speaker 4: He is he has been charged with being a misogynt though in talking the way that he did about Hailey ste Oh, he rolls his eyes in his pink tank top. Well, but I think that there are women that don't agree with you, even on the left, that like the way he talked about Hailey Stevens was misogynistic and you know some of his attitudes.
Speaker 3: Listen, I'm just a vessel for Yeah.
Speaker 2: I mean, I think that charge.
Speaker 5: I guess what I would say is, I think it's probably useful to separate out charges that happen in the context of a heated primary. Yeah, with broader things about the person's like life stuff, you know what I mean, Like sure, this is a different thing than like Platner, you know, like, well, oh, yes, I'm just saying that, Like, there's just different categories of what people say against each other when they're running gainst each other in a primary. There was a lot of allegations that Barack Obama was being sexist towards Aleen or Hillary Clinton, and I don't think it was true of Sarah Palin. I don't really think it was true to Hailey Clinton. Some people maybe felt that it was, but I think those exist in a different space then people that are testing to your character, who have been with you outside a campaign, you know, the whole, Like he can bench three fifteen and he's but he's also like a doctor, and he also seems like a person who you know that I don't know. You said the internew view he did with his mother that I thought was really interesting, who is an engineer, came here from Egypt, was often the only woman in a room, sort of talking to her about what that felt like, which I thought was interesting, and also I think speaks to them recognizing they have some work to do on that front. The way that I solve for this is the same way that I think about how to think about patriotism and how to talk about patriotism from a center left progressive standpoint, which is like my version. I think Barack Obama is the best example of this. But I also felt this way about the World War II Museum in New Orleans, which is a great museum if anyone ever goes, which is a sort of like progressive, pluralistic patriotism, Like we are a great country because we are this place that is built out of all these different people from all these different experiences, and we've screwed it up a million different ways in a million times, but we have also kept trying to figure out how to make all these people together work. And I think that the version of masculinity is to be a man, is to be a person who is strong in a sort of inner and deep.
Speaker 3: Sense and who like that and can bench three fifty and.
Speaker 5: Looks out for people and does the right thing and people can look towards and depend on And to me, it's like in the same way that like, you take this ven diagram of some of the attributes that we learn in our civic culture about America, with the attributes that we as progress as cherish, and you're like, that's the thing I'm going for. I think you take the aspects of masculinity that I do think have a root in the culture, which is like strength, or leadership or dependability, or you know, looking out for people, even protecting people that like that, you cultivate those in a broader sense of like looking out for people, looking out for people that are being bullied or being marginalized, like being the one that stands up for them. That to me is like the vision of what of where you kind of find the sweet spot to this answer? And I don't know how you communicate that, but that's the way my own conception of it is.
Speaker 4: I think one of the things that Democrats could really do is kind of wrap their arms around like someone who's loving, like and has shown themselves capable of great love, whether for children or their mother, or their spouse or their partner, because that's something that Trump doesn't have at all, and that is I think really aspirational, especially to see if we're talking about a guy like men being comfortable showing the fact that they can be lovers.
Speaker 3: And I don't mean that in like a sexy way.
Speaker 2: No, no, but it's a real point.
Speaker 4: Important reminder that like, that's what most people are looking for in life, is to be loved and to feel loved and to belong. And Trump's found the inverse of that, like he's found unity through hate, and like love and affection is always in season. Sometimes it might come arrive at your doorstep and a hot pink tank top and a gold chain Kate Shaw.
Speaker 3: Sometimes not.
Speaker 4: You are one of my favorite people on the planet. We have known each other for thirty fucking years. Out it's wild and every conversation is better than the last.
Speaker 2: Oh that's sweet. That was really fun. I'm so glad we did it.
Speaker 3: You're the best. Chris Hayes.
Speaker 4: Everybody watch Chris Hayes on MS now, Always listen to his podcast Why Is This Happening? And consume all books he writes, because they're really good.
Speaker 2: Working on the next one. I'm very excited about this next one.
Speaker 3: O course you are. Oh my Jesus.
Speaker 4: Okay, Well, thank you for doing this in between writing drafts, and thanks to everybody for listening.
Speaker 9: Podsave America is a Crooked media production. Our show is produced by Austin Fisher, Saul Ruben, McKenna Roberts, and Faris Safari, with re Jerlin, Elijah Cone and Adrian Hill. Our team includes Matt to Grote, Ben Hefcot, Jordan Canter, Charlottelandis Krol pell Avieve, David Toles, Mia Kelman, Ryan Young, and Naomi Single. Our staff is probably unionized with the Writer's Guild of America East.
Speaker 2: You