Speaker 1: Before We look Ahead, A look back at significant events and people tied to this particular date in history, including but not limited to these. On this August ninth, construction began on the Pisa Cathedral, better known as a Leaning Tower of Pisa eleven seventy three. Donald Trump was not around to provide his expertise. Walden by Henry David Thureau, first published on this date in eighteen fifty four. It was August ninth, nineteen thirty six when Jesse Owens won his fourth gold medal at the Berlin Olympics, almost wiping the mustache off Hitler's face in the four hundred meter relay. The Dark Day in Many Ways August ninth, nineteen forty five, three days after the atomic bombing of Hiroshima, a USB twenty nine super Fortress dropped an won over Nagasaki. The bombing and the radiation fallout poisoned killed an estimated seventy four thousand in that strike. Actress Sharon Tate four others found murdered at her Los Angeles home this date. In nineteen sixty nine, cult leader Charles Manson a group of his followers or family later convicted of the murders. This is when Gerald Oath took the oath of office to become US president in the wake of Richard Nixon's resignation. The year was nineteen seventy four, and other famous folks celebrating birthdays today. This is a landmark one and a person that I'm sure Liam has no knowledge of, but he should learn something about because he is still with us and still one of the greatest basketball players to ever suited up in the NBA Basketball Hall of Famer. Bob Coosey is ninety seven today. You want to learn about ball handling Liam on the basketball court, check out some vintage film of Bob Coosey just amazing. Another amazing athlete, Tennis Hall of Famer Rod Labor, turns eighty seven today. Jack DeJohnette, great jazz musician, has a birthday today. Comedian director David Steinberg I found him so much humorous back in the day, is eighty three. Sam Elliott is eighty one with that fantastic voice. Football Hall of Famer former NFL player John Cappelletti, Happy birthday. College Football Hall of Famer and former NFL player one time MVP in the Super Bowl, Doug Williams is seventy today, Melanie Griffiths's birthday, Amanda burse Curtis blow sixty six. Senator Roger Marshall of Kansas has a birthday today. Hockey Hall of Famer Brett Hull is sixty one. Hoda Cottbye, if it's your birthday, you share a birthday with Hoda Cottby. I don't know if I'd be spreading that around if I were you. Pro and College Football Hall of Famer Neon Dion Primetime Sanders is fifty eight today. Happy birthday, Dion. Jillian Anderson, remember the X Files, she's fifty seven. Eric Banna, same age. And let's see here, anybody else notable on the list. If you're on this list, you're notable. And I say happy birthday to you, and I hope you get to spend this day with the people you love, doing the things you love to do, and that is truly my wish for you. It's five point forty one. Liam Tominson, the aforementioned standing by on the precipice of his birthday week. We'll talk to him in just a moment. We are starting this morning seventy clear skies, and it's time for this seven hundred WLW Sports Siiam Tomlinson, before you give me the bad news about the Reds dropping another one to the lowly Pittsburgh Pirates in Pittsburgh last night and a game that I couldn't see but I could listen to because it was on Apple TV, but also on your home of the Red seven aut Ter WLW. Before you do any of that, I've got to know something on the precipice of what will be your twenty fourth birthday on Monday, August eleventh, which, by the way, the Reds are throwing a party for you. I don't know if you knew that or not, because Snoop Dogg is going to be a gabp on Monday on your birthday. Are you one of those gen Z children that are using passifiers to ease your stress? Have you seen this?
Speaker 2: I used one for a long time as a kid, but I quit for a while. Are we bringing it back?
Speaker 1: There are adults using passifiers to calm themselves now, it's the latest trend. Don't you have your TikTok on?
Speaker 2: I try to stay away from the saular device and the horrible news that's feeding me.
Speaker 1: Okay, good good decision, brother, good decision. And you also were telling me about this huge house fire in Covington, almost like an explosion. Yeah, I don't know. It was crazy.
Speaker 2: I was just trying to get a little afternoon beverage after a hard day of work, enjoying my Friday get It started right next thing I know, the police. I thought the police were after me, and then the fire trucks were coming down the street. I thought I was gonna get a ticket for being near a handicap spot, but I had nowhere else to go in my defense, and cops blocked off the street. The hose is running like four blocks away. It was a pretty legit fire down there on Crescent Avenue. And then my girlfriend lives on that street, no idea what was going on. She's oblivious to everything in the world. So I call her. I'm like, are you okay, it's her house, Okay, She's like, what are you even talking about?
Speaker 1: Right outside her door? Like three companies right outside your door, battling of blazing inferno. What do you mean? What's wrong? Anyway? What was wrong with the Reds last night?
Speaker 2: The Red Legs took a two to one lead into the ninth but they could not hold on. They fell to the Pirates think to a Brian Reynolds triple in the eighth. The Reds are currently three and a half back of the Mets for the last wild card spot. The Mets have went one to nine into their last ten games with the Reds have not been able to make up any ground. But the Red Legs are back in action this afternoon, with Nick Martinez on the mound for the Reds and Braxton Ashcraft on the mound for the Pirates. First pitch is set for six forty. Inside pitch begins at five p forty right here on the Home of the Red seven hundred wlw FC Cincinnati plays tomorrow and their tenth anniversary match against Charlotte. That kickoff is set for six pm. Pregame coverage begins a on ESPN fifteen thirty some PGA Tour action in the FedEx Saint Jude Championship in Memphis. Tommy Fleetwood is in the lead, sitting at thirteen under Scottie Scheffler Colin Morricala. Excuse me, Scotty Scheffer's tied for seventh. That's seven under. Colin Morricala is tied for second. At night under well and you know that's that's the thing. Scheffler is always lurking and being tied for seventh going into the third round. I would be very wary if I was anybody else in the field in that tournament. I'm just telling you, Scottie, even when he doesn't have his a game, he's always in the top ten. It seems like, Yeah, he's like the shark from Jalls. He's always lurking.
Speaker 1: It's always lurking. All right, Liam, Thanks, that's enough for now. We'll pick this back up, Mame Tree. Lynette is waiting on the line and we can't cannot keep her waiting for too long. We'll talk to her next. You would, just like I always say, a day without Lynette is like a year without the episode. Let's go to Florence Park Care right now and talk to our favorite early morning friends. Hello, Lynette, are f.
Speaker 3: O warting.
Speaker 4: Fashion?
Speaker 3: Oh? This bye na hiking don call.
Speaker 5: B will be.
Speaker 6: On in.
Speaker 3: Abu gi us this or to reverd and forgivever or as we orgiver there her be then and in thetion my reallyver.
Speaker 7: He for for.
Speaker 3: Is turk.
Speaker 8: And the p.
Speaker 9: And for.
Speaker 1: Re and then amen the Lord's prayer. That was a beautiful rendition.
Speaker 4: But Gus, we call it m Boone County allergies and the boom County water.
Speaker 8: I thought I would wet my throat and I'm blowing bubbles.
Speaker 1: Darling, you're blowing bubbles.
Speaker 8: Yeah, something about that new farm of the treatment.
Speaker 1: Yes, us, so you've become a human bubble machine.
Speaker 8: Yes, I'm bubbing it without pain.
Speaker 1: They could have used you on Lawrence Welk.
Speaker 6: Yes, they could have.
Speaker 1: Wonderful, wonderful and that with a bubble machine in the mouth.
Speaker 10: You know.
Speaker 8: Then I was on are teasing whale water. Yeah, I'm this city water.
Speaker 1: I'm not hip to it. I'm not hip to most tap water either. I mean they say it's safe and everything, but.
Speaker 8: It is where does it come from?
Speaker 1: Well, that that's the thing is where does it come from? You can only clean up so much? Yes, darling, you know I like I like heavy metals, but I don't like to drink them anyway.
Speaker 8: What I said, this new formula is disgusting.
Speaker 7: And once it a formula for Lynette, you know, getting old, stinky, moldy water, and they treatment in it, right, I'll.
Speaker 8: Get it before it Boone counts your check with me every day.
Speaker 4: They really should it comes from here, reported treatment is there, and then I get the mody complications and right now, bubbly, we'll take about two hours for that water to clarify.
Speaker 1: Liam tell tell dict from Daton to hang on. We'll get to him in a minute. Go ahead, dear.
Speaker 8: Professor Lynnette, say please get the old farm of the bag. It's not my saying.
Speaker 1: I don't know if that's uh. I guess that's still Northern Kentucky Water District there in Boone County.
Speaker 8: I don't know, but these stinks.
Speaker 1: Okay, Apparently there's a problem with the water at least on Route eighteen in Florence. It's making at the net bubble at the mouth.
Speaker 8: Me and four white men were the only four this water is. It's a cup.
Speaker 4: It comes to us, and the people here don't realize it ain't treating and we're drinking it.
Speaker 8: Help America, Help, we.
Speaker 1: Need r FK JR MAHA. Make America healthy again. Baby, get them down here.
Speaker 4: Linette and this farmer, don't make I understand bottle water. I don't know where it's coming from either. I'll just take my chin continue with boom County.
Speaker 8: But it really takes about two hours.
Speaker 1: What takes you what takes two hours? Linnette.
Speaker 4: Night before I always put a cup of water, so I got some chemicals in it.
Speaker 8: Yeah, yeah, dissolved.
Speaker 4: This word dissipates, big fancy word. But anyway, I didn't do that last night. Now I'm paying for I drink your pressure out of the water, Pitcher, and it's taking me. Bubble don't not sound bubbly.
Speaker 1: Well, I don't know what bubbly actually sounds like, Lynette, but I'll take it. I'll take your word for it. Baby. We gotta go, all right, I love you.
Speaker 8: Print to you.
Speaker 1: What's that?
Speaker 8: I don't sound different to you.
Speaker 1: You sound wonderful, sound like Lynette.
Speaker 8: Oh God, bless you America. And thank you Jesus.
Speaker 1: Oh, thank you Jesus. All right, Lynette, bye bye. Oh maybe Dick's gonna have to hang over till afternoons. We'll be right back into the first official hour of the Saturday morning edition for this Saturday, August the ninth, twenty twenty five. I'm Gary Jeff Walker, and this is our show. I was gonna say my show. Technically, I guess it is after twenty eight and a half years, but it's really our show because we have people like this guy who make regular contributions and we just couldn't do the show without him. Good morning, Dick, Good morning Jeff. Are you I'm doing great, sir? What's going on?
Speaker 11: Well?
Speaker 1: I wanted you to know.
Speaker 11: And Dave and the listening audience. One of the activities director did a spotlight on me about my career, you know, working at Lows and playing music in my family. It was just a little article and I had my picture there. It was really nice, really nice.
Speaker 1: Sorry, So where can we find this, Dick?
Speaker 11: I'm going to try to send it to you guys in the mail on Montgomery Road. Well, I'll put it in an envelope and you can be able to see it.
Speaker 1: I mean, is it something we could look up online? Is it a publication we should know about?
Speaker 10: What?
Speaker 1: Where is this?
Speaker 12: Oh?
Speaker 11: This is at Stony Ridge on let's see eighty six thirty Washington Church Road, Miamisburg, Ohio four five four three two is the It's in the bullet and it's called assisted living.
Speaker 1: Okay, So this is just an inter your department bulletin, just in your apartment complex. You get this bulletin, right, Yeah, it wasn't for the general public.
Speaker 11: Yep. And then we went to Spring Vendors yesterday. We had a good time. Everybody was just rocking and rolling. It was great. Jared deff I loved it.
Speaker 1: Well, yeah, I mean you love anytime you get a chance to be around musicians and make some music yourself.
Speaker 13: I know you.
Speaker 1: This is this is your thing, this is your your zen as they like to say.
Speaker 11: So have you heard from Dave?
Speaker 1: No, Well we're about to hear from Dave from Harrison here in just a minute. But haven't heard it all Dave.
Speaker 11: I haven't heard from day from Dayton for a while. They must be busy. I'm sure you'll stop by wanting.
Speaker 1: Well, I mean he helps so many people, do so many different things.
Speaker 6: Dick.
Speaker 9: Uh.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, he's kind of like God with a little g he he has a lot of different people he's got to concern himself with. Yeah, So so you and I, you and I have to take a back seat every once in a while. He's done so much for us already, right, all right, he.
Speaker 11: Has a great guy, great guy. I'll hope to get down there sometime with Dave again.
Speaker 1: Well, Dick, anytime that we can have Dick at Huddles it's a great weekend. So yes, I look forward to the next chance. But I must be off. Say good night, Dick, good night, good jusrye bye bye bye. Really I mean, would your morning be complete without that call? I don't think so. Uh, Dave, good morning, Good.
Speaker 9: Morning, Garrett, Jeff. How are we doing on this fine lovely morning.
Speaker 1: We're doing fine, We're doing great. You know, Dick's famous. They're they're featuring him in the Stony Ridge Apartment Flyer. They did a feature on him. Did you hear that as well?
Speaker 9: They should? He's an eye he is.
Speaker 1: I mean, when it comes to how famous Dix, he's probably at the top of most people's list.
Speaker 9: I agree, I agree.
Speaker 1: What's going on? You know, what were we going to say?
Speaker 9: I followed him around for a long time.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you're following him again. Make the most of your time.
Speaker 13: Dave, you gotta do it.
Speaker 14: G Jeff, I call that because I want to tell you we saw our vacuum cleaner the other day. Yeah, it was just setting around gathering dust.
Speaker 6: You know, Gary, Jeff.
Speaker 9: There's another question, what.
Speaker 8: Do you call a knight?
Speaker 6: It was afraid to fight?
Speaker 1: A knight who's afraid to fight?
Speaker 9: That's sir.
Speaker 13: What do you call him?
Speaker 9: Tell me you call him.
Speaker 15: Sir, render.
Speaker 9: Jeff, that's what you call him.
Speaker 6: I like that.
Speaker 1: I do like that a little bit. All right, go ahead, this is your last shot. Make it a good one.
Speaker 9: Dave.
Speaker 6: All right, my doctor.
Speaker 14: The other day he told me apparently I had the peekaboo virus.
Speaker 9: Really yeah, so he sent me straight to the ICU.
Speaker 16: Jokes told by Dave from Harrison are not necessarily considered funny by the staff, management, or advertisers of seven hundred WLW or his parent company, iHeartMedia. If these attempts at humor have caused you to roll your eyes, made your stomach churn, or you have considered the entire exercise to be a colossal waste of time, we deeply apologize. Now back to our irregular program. Just this discussion about chee cheese beaten back. Let's heard about it this past week. I was like, no, Kendon, I love chee cheese, chi che back. In the eighties, chee cheese was the place to be.
Speaker 1: I mean it's it was a real bastardization of anything you could call authentic Mexican, but it was great. Love chee cheese, and I love chee chee. Who's Charlie Coleman, Sweetie, she's nice too. Has nothing to do with the restaurants. Let's talk to old radio Rick get a reception report early this morning. Good morning, Ricky, what's going on?
Speaker 6: Say?
Speaker 17: Good morning Gary, Jeff. You know a couple of weeks ago you graced me with a somewhat related to my day job joke, and I thought I would respond in kind.
Speaker 12: Okay, So a priest, a.
Speaker 17: Rabbit, and a minister walk into a bar. The bartender looks at the rabbit and says, what do we have? And the rabbit goes, I have no idea. I'm only here because of auto correct.
Speaker 1: That's funny. Only because of auto correct. That's great. How are you receiving the program on what device? And how's it going there?
Speaker 17: Hey, it's going as well as can be. I am receiving you five by five on a nineteen twenty seven freed iceman. Good luck on the autocorrect on that one kid from New York. It is a TRF radio pre super heterodyne, which nineteen twenty seven.
Speaker 6: That makes sense.
Speaker 17: It has eight tubes, as this is the weirdest thing it has this giant cabinet that's gorgeous, but it's very top heavy. It has a flipped down lid. It is a classic nineteen twenty seven design of let's pretend it's not a radio for anybody that you don't want to show off to, and let's flip down the lid and show it off for anybody that you want to. And I looked at the case. I actually found catalog entry for this and was shocked. In nineteen twenty seven it sold for forty dollars. Now, granted that was seven hundred and fifty bucks today, but that's really not that much for an eighty two radio. Oh wait, that was the cost of the cabinet and speaker only.
Speaker 5: So.
Speaker 17: So the original radio. And this is hilarious, I think, because no wonder they changed the cabinet if they had the money. The model eight hundred C eight, this novel eight tube set can be moved from room to room. Yeah, they're not kidding. It's like I wouldn't necessarily call it a console. But there's a big box that looks like a suit again, not really a suitcase, but suitcase sized on the bottom that houses the speaker, and then another slightly smaller box above it, which houses the radio, and then the antenna on top, which looks like the big loop that you saw like the old Mission Impossible series or Corumber or whatever where they're trying to track down the other car and the things spinning whatever, and these gigantic industrial strength casters on the bottom. But it's got to be the eggloos thing I've ever seen. But yes, you can move it room to room, no doubt. And being a battery radio, there wouldn't be any cords to worry about. Complete interstage shielding and individual tube shielding, yes, like everything a single other radio in the world ever has had to have. They had tubes, you had to shield them where it just feedback like you wouldn't believe. Embodies the latest advancements in radio engineering. You might want to list some of those next time.
Speaker 6: Anyhow.
Speaker 17: The price three hundred and ninety five dollars seven thousand, three hundred dollars today for a radio with cast, Wow, And then they upgraded another seven hundred and fifty bucks for the different cabinets.
Speaker 1: Well, you know, and that's not surprising you think about the cost factored with inflation, and we're talking almost one hundred years ago. If you're talking about a nineteen twenty seven radio. Think about what the first big screen TVs cost and what they weighed, and what they cost and what they weigh now, I mean, when the technology is that new as it was in nineteen twenty seven, you're obviously going to pay a premium.
Speaker 17: I mean it makes sense, right, Yeah, And obviously Freedeisman, like any other company, would have some lesser offerings that would be more affordable or could be more easily financed. And again to your point, another key element is nineteen twenty seven. This was the Roaring twenties. In very much related news. They didn't survive after the Great Depression. A lot of companies did. Of course, they had to change their model and they had to tighten their belts and so forth. But fred Iceman had so much over the top stuff that they couldn't sell enough to stay afloat.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's sad, but that's the way things go. Everything good on your end there in Indy.
Speaker 17: I'm still upright and on the correct side of the grass.
Speaker 1: So yes, Well, if you'd like to know more, you can check out mister Washburn at Old Radio rick at gmail dot com. Thank you, Ricky. We will move along, weather in sports, just ahead and whatever else. I decided to do Chaso's blues away this morning, and the best way to do that at six thirty five on a Saturday is go down to Main Street in Ripley to Brookies, a bar, and let the let the fun begin. You can't drink all day if you don't start early, as they how now, Brown County, good morning, Good morning.
Speaker 18: We got buzz here this morning. Oh buz about drinking, about drinking. We don't know what's in this core's light cup, but we'll let him doz buzz.
Speaker 1: What have you got in your core's light cup?
Speaker 6: Well?
Speaker 15: I actually bought with Brookies last night without held all till this morning to.
Speaker 6: Drink it.
Speaker 1: Left leftover cocktails. I love it?
Speaker 8: Why not?
Speaker 1: Uh So I got to ask you guys a question. If if you do decide to start the or if the decision is made to start the Queen of Hearts again at Brookies, I think we should probably make a pack to not talk about it because last time, because of this program and you talking about the Queen of Hearts, which eventually became into a full fledged media onslaught in your little town, it turns your town upside down, and I don't want I don't want the quiet of Ripley to be that disturbed by all of these carpetbaggers and people from outside. Sure, you want to be welcoming, you you love people from Cincinnati to come, but not in those numbers. So, I mean, what do you think about that idea? If if you do do the Queen of Hearts? Are we going to talk about it here on Saturday morning? Because you know what happened last time, Well, let's.
Speaker 9: Just talk about it quietly. It'll be okay.
Speaker 1: As long as as long as we're it's already out of proportion.
Speaker 19: You know, everybody's talking about it. We're gonna start again, you know. So it's already out of proportion.
Speaker 20: It's still it still has a fever.
Speaker 1: Oh my goodness. Well it was a lot of fun while it lasted, I'll give you that.
Speaker 6: So what's going on there?
Speaker 1: What's going on this weekend?
Speaker 6: Oh tonight eight o'clock cowls?
Speaker 17: We'll be playing here and I haven't heard it since I've been gone here lately.
Speaker 9: Why is a cookback?
Speaker 8: Yeah?
Speaker 5: Food?
Speaker 9: She's out of jail.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, I mean she got a she got like an ankle monitor that she can't she can only be at Brookies and be home. Or is she living there or what's the deal.
Speaker 9: I don't know.
Speaker 8: I really don't know an opinion on us.
Speaker 6: Yeah, you know probation.
Speaker 12: You're not supposed to be in a bar.
Speaker 8: Oh well that's true.
Speaker 1: Well just just keep her in the kitchen. She'll be fine.
Speaker 12: Yeah, it's not a bar, it's a kitchen, okay, all right, all right, Yeah, but I.
Speaker 19: Mean she's this week. You know, it's gonna be really hot, humid and all that. You know, my air conditioner went out like two weeks ago, so I'm kind of living on the edge with fans.
Speaker 1: Well, I mean, you know, I think about this all the time. We used to live without AC all the time, back in the when, when I was six seven years old and was walking up Peel both ways to school in the snow in the summertime. It was hot and human as it is now, and we had no AC and somehow we survived. I'm not sure how, but I'm sure you'll you'll be fine, Cherry.
Speaker 19: I have confidence, right, but I have that concrete block house and it does stay cool if I just keep it closed up. He's my fans.
Speaker 1: I'm good, all right, babe. Well listen. I hope everything goes well and you can get your AC fixed or repaired soon enough. I guys, have a fantastic weekend, and it's good to hear the oil baron of Brown County back on the radio again after his sojourned here, sojourned to the land of Paradise and the Isle of Nookie. Haha, take care, guys, aunt of money. People in the US aren't on home stage because of all the jerrymandering, and he ran to the most remandered state in the nation. Wait a minute, not our next guest. I meant the Texas Democrats going to Illinois and California. Of the height of hypocrisy on display once again in Washington, d C. And in state legislatures all around these United States of America. At six forty four, time for some some great information needs to be pithy phone calls, and summer is still a little pithy, but mostly just great history and great visionary commentary. Buy our friend Steve Simon from at Ohio. Good morning, Steven, Oh.
Speaker 6: You embarrassed me.
Speaker 21: The federal government is finally backing away from its chief propaganda vehicle PDS. I'm sure the public broadcasting system will do just fine without my tax dollars, since they have always had the progressives on both coasts in their back pocket. Current promotions include another Ken Burns revisionist history of the United States. Burns is not a journalist, and he certainly isn't an historian, but he's one heck of an entrepreneur. He'll gladly doctor documentaries to suit the corporate suits. Journalism professor and author of Ty Cobb A Terrible Beauty, Charles Learson has caught Burns and others slandering that Major League Baseball immortal. Learson points out that far from the pathological racist depicted by Burns and company, the Georgia Bourn Ty Cobb was descended from a long line of abolitionists. His great grandfather was a preacher run out of town for opposing slavery. His grandfather refused to fight for the Confederacy because of slavery, and his father was an educator and state senator who once broke up a lynch.
Speaker 6: Bob Cobb was asked about.
Speaker 21: Segregation in nineteen fifty two when the Texas League was integrating, and he said and this is a quote. The negro has a right to play professional baseball, and who's to say that he does not. He had attended Negro league games, he occasionally threw out the first ball, and he sat in the dugouts swapping baseball stories with the players. This raises many questions, including how Burns and others choose their sources. Burne's most famous documentary is probably the Civil War. He was at least consistent in his belief that all white Southerners must be unrepentant racists. In this case, he conveniently overlooked relevant information on Confederate General Nathan Bedford Forrest. Said because Bedford Forrest is one of the most fascinating characters in American history, Burns implies that he was guilty of the Fort Pillow massacre, at which rebels slaughtered black Union troops after the battle was over. Kim doesn't tell you that after the war, a tributal of Union military officers, partly an unbiased group, tried Bedford Forrest and found him not guilty of being at the scene or having knowledge of any conspiracy ahead of time. Yes, Bedford Forrest was one of the founders of the Ku Klux clan Ah, but Burns might also have said he equipped the clan over the violence issue, he had only wanted to secure voting rights for whites. Ken Burns might also have told this that a year before the war ended, Nathan Bedford Forrest signed a manumission document freeing his slaves. At the end of the war, no matter who won. Ken Burns has been described by Newsweek as a politically neutral person, even as it expressed surprise at his twenty twenty four Brandize University commencement address, which was actually a redo of a twenty sixteen commencement address at Stanford, both where diatribes against Donald Trump. That's noteworthy because commencement addresses aren't really supposed to be a propaganda pieces, are they. Burns will never accept that someone might actually change his views over a lifetime. Let me make Lefty squirm a little with this tidbit from the late nineteenth century. Our subject was invited to address a debating society at the Yale Law School. The club's president was a black man, Warner T.
Speaker 6: Mcgwinn. At Yale.
Speaker 21: Mister mcgwinn bordered with the university's black carpenter and held down several part time jobs just to survive. On one occasion, he had to turn down the dean's invitation to dinner because he did not own the proper suit. Our speaker at the debating Society got wind of this and decided to be a one man reparations program. He paid McGinn's expenses the rest of his law school days and helped him secure employment afterwards. Attorney mcgwinn later mentored a young lawyer named Thurgood Marshall, the first black justice on the US Supreme Court. That benefactor, back in New Haven continued his reparation efforts. Might surprise you to find out he was a veteran of the Confederate Army. He was born to a slaveholding family in Missouri. His name was Samuel Clemens aka Mark Twain. Somewhat interesting, Ken Burns, you might want to look into that. And by the way, kudos again every August to mister Tuba. Mister Tuba, I did get the message on my answering machine. Your notes are always notable. Thanks Gary Jeff, Thanks mister Tuba.
Speaker 9: Connect.
Speaker 1: All right, six point fifty one, we'll speak with our friend Ray Scott just a moment, have you please speak because I can do more than one thing at a time sometimes. Anyway, we'll be with you ten to midnight after Reds and Snoop Dog at GABP. On Monday, let's go to our friend, brother Ray Scott in the Land of Love. How you doing, brother Ray?
Speaker 15: Good morning, Good morning, my friend, Good morning Gary, Jeff and your fantastic show. My gosh, Lynette, she just keeps hitting higher highs.
Speaker 8: She's amazing.
Speaker 6: Well.
Speaker 1: I had not heard the musical version of the Lord's Prayer in quite a while, so I that was a double bonus for me, not only Lynnette's wonderful voice, but the subject matter.
Speaker 15: It's almost dropped the mic moment first, thinking the morning your show, it did Steve, you know, writing a wrong. You know ken Burne's The History of Baseball. I happen to own that, and my son and I have viewed it, and I find myself stopping it a lot to make some notes and corrections, and it's a great program, but it is so tilted. And Steve rights a wrong on that with ty Cops, so hats off and I applaud you, sir for that rebuttal the point counterpoint, it's almost like we need a TVs and a people's program, you know, to tell both sides of the story. Anyhow, I want to make mention of Jim level Stacy mentioned in the news, and I mean, we just passing of an absolute American hero, and it's it's amazing when you think what these these astronauts did. You know, we look at it now through the prism of history, knowing that they safely returned and broke broke all these.
Speaker 6: Barriers or but the moon.
Speaker 15: No one had ever done these things. And these men went out and just laid life on the line, and they did not all survive the program.
Speaker 1: And there was a famous there was a famous explosion on the launching pad in the Apollo program and all three, all three astronauts gave their lives and it was only supposed to be a test flight exactly.
Speaker 9: Gus Grissom and company, bless their hearts.
Speaker 15: And my favorite part in that Apollo thirteen, which I understand was actually a true statement, was that when Neil Armstrong that they had Jim Lovell's mother there viewing, you know, part of the program of their return, and it was a pretty tense moment and that they were trying to calm her or you know, give her support. Neil Armstrong was and she looked at him. She said, my son, Jimmy. She said, if a washing machine had wings on it, he could land it. She said, he'll land it.
Speaker 1: I love that line.
Speaker 6: That's great iconic.
Speaker 9: So anyways, good to talk to my brother.
Speaker 12: God bless you, and God bless them that.
Speaker 1: Yeah you too, thanks brother, Ray, God bless James Lovell, the Sullenberger of the Space program. He was Sully before the Hudson in Apollo thirteen. He will be missed. We will talk to Steve Shelty, who's back AFTERNOWS. An environmental update and much more ahead on the Saturday Morning Edition here on seven hundred WL. Now it's seven oh five Eastern time, just now, and this is another hour of the Saturday Morning Edition for Saturday, August ninth, twenty twenty five. I'm Gary Jeff Walker, and you're so happy. You're not believe me.
Speaker 9: You have no idea.
Speaker 1: Excuse me. I had to cough.
Speaker 6: So we have.
Speaker 1: We have been a week hence since we talked to our environmental engineer, and I think it's high time we do it again. Steve Schulte is standing by. Good morning, my friend, how.
Speaker 8: Are we good morning, Gary, Jeff?
Speaker 11: Better than I deserve as.
Speaker 1: Always, Yes, sir agreed. What are we talking about this morning, Steve?
Speaker 20: The first thing we're gonna talk about comes from the Climate Change Weekly from Heartland dot org for Friday August First, the headline depth and hurricanes haven't followed the climate change script in twenty twenty five. Of course, I'd call it the climate change scare script of twenty twenty five.
Speaker 1: So this year it's been throwing.
Speaker 20: Cold water on the climate change scare. Thus far, numbers well undauntly change, but death from extreme weather and other natural disasters are well below norm for mid year, so far that it's doubtful to reach anything in a single year average. But because of this, the hurricanes that is running below normal so far, it's forcing the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration to revise its hurricane forecast downwards. Noah's still prediction above average season, but only slightly so. Not just did the Atlantic basin that's experiencing below normal activity. According to a story in the Yale Climate Connections quote, each of the four basins of the at the northern hemisphere that generate top tropical cyclones which is the Atlantic, Northeast, Pacific, Northwest Pacific, and North Indian oceans is running below normal on what they call accumulated cyclone energy, so much so that they believe that this energy will be the third and lowest in records dating back more than half a century. But Gary Jeff But most importantly, but the article goes on the report is that an even more direct measure of human well being in the face the weather conditions from extreme weather or natural disasters, they also are running well below normal for a half year. In fact, the first half of twenty twenty five, unfortunately, seven seven hundred people were killed in natural disasters, which is below the twenty first century average of little over thirty seven thousand.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 20: The majority of these deaths, fifty five hundred, occurred in an earthquake in Miramar, which is over in Southeast Asia.
Speaker 6: That means two two hundred.
Speaker 20: Souls worldwide died in catastrophes related to extreme weather events during the first six months of this past year. And what's amazing about that number. It is likely that the first half of twenty twenty five has seen the fewest deaths related.
Speaker 6: To extreme weather of any half year in recorded human history.
Speaker 20: Now you don't see that headline anyplace.
Speaker 1: Well, you know what, the way the climate alarmistole was framed it because you turned the key in your combustion engine in your car and you traveled a mile down the road, you're killing people. And that is as ridiculous as saying for the first half of twenty twenty five, these worldwide calamitous deaths from extreme weather can be directly attributed to the fact that Donald J. Trump is president. It's Trump. It's true. I tell you what, everything everything is coming up roses and it's all because of President Trump. That's what it is, Steve, Which is just as ridiculous as the climate alarmist to telling me that if I drive a car, I'm going to kill the planet and everyone around me. So that's that's how, that's how unhinged that the whole climate alarmist man made climate change crowd is. And it's once once again being proven to be well, the fact that it's it's nuts.
Speaker 20: It's not so just because they say, well, why, I like to say, just yes, let's fall to the science and sleep well at night.
Speaker 1: It's excellent, follow the science and sleep well at night. Thank you, Steve. Ten minutes after the high of ninety it'll feel like a.
Speaker 13: Neil.
Speaker 1: Thank you.
Speaker 19: All right?
Speaker 1: Seven thirteen on a Saturday morning on seven hundred WLW, Gary Jeff Walker and IT guy Doomsday Dave Hatter is back with us to talk about this Sineloa drug cartel. Why would an IT guy be talking about the Sinaloa drug cartel. Well, because they're using the Internet of Things world to hack and track and run down and kill informants of the FBI. Is that true, Dave Well.
Speaker 12: Part of the reporting, Gary Jeff, Yes, it is true, and it goes to show you this one of the one hundred and twenty billion reasons why despite the Internet of Things or aka so called smart devices, doorbells, donets, coffee makers, whatever. So this is pretty widely reported on and it cropped up apparently from some FBI report that was released. But El Chapo was working with hackers, so they went out. Now, again, this is not going to affect the regular person today per se, because you've got to have a fair amount, a fairy good amount of technical skill to pull off what these guys did. But they found a hacker, they got found the phone records of this FBI official and then they used surveillance cameras.
Speaker 9: And other types of IoT devices all.
Speaker 12: Around Mexico City to track down informants that this FBI agent was talking to and in some cases kill them. Now, when people say, well today, if I got nothing to hinde, you know, I don't care about these things. I love the convenience, this thing is cool. I just wanted ourmind, folks, there's all sorts of unintended consequences of these devices. They are non designed with your privacy or your security in mind. They're designed with these of use, speed the market, market share, and collecting your data in mind, you know.
Speaker 6: And this is a perfect.
Speaker 12: Example of the unintended consequences. Now, in some cases, you know, the reporting doesn't go real deep into exactly what they did. But as you know, Gary, Jeff, we talked about this many times. We're now surrounded by these IoT devices. Many there are cameras everywhere, often including in these IoT devices. But that's not completely obvious. And this is a perfect example that shows that these things can potentially be used in unintended ways, and including extremely dangerous and harmful ways. And you know, this is the first example I've seen something like this where someone was saying people had been killed because of the surveillance. But this kind of thing is also pretty well documented. Early in the Russia Ukraine War, it was reported that Russia was hacking these sorts of in Ukraine to find targets to shoot at.
Speaker 9: So yeah, well that's where we're at.
Speaker 1: Here's the thing we hear all the time about Big Brother and surveillance and how law enforcement is using things like facial wreck and people's IoT devices to find criminals. Well, it's not a far leap to say, well, the criminals could use the same thing to find innocent people or people that they'd like to bump off for illegitimate purposes, like informing on the Cineloa cartel. So yeah, I mean, these tools are available for anyone, and they're not necessarily it's not necessarily a good thing to give away your privacy by having one of these devices, whether it's a ring, doorbell or Alexa or anything else.
Speaker 6: Yeah, exactly right.
Speaker 12: I mean there's an example a few years ago where apparently fitfits and other types of fitness devices were being used to surveil US soldiers overseas. And I'll read one thing here, because we're about a time I think you'll find this particular state interesting collection of grain your data from people's phones by a wide commercial official actors, combined with evergrowing coverage of surveillance canvases. But it's a thorny problem for intelligence and law enforcement agents, many of whom rely on competential informants. Yeah, it's a real thorning problem when they end up dead because hackers get a hold of it as records or hacked as devices, and your informant is suddenly sleeping with the fishes.
Speaker 6: So it happens.
Speaker 1: It's it's scary, man, all right, Dave, thanks, keep that aluminum foil hat ready and we will we will talk to you soon. I am certain because you're one of my favorite informational sources. Coming up on eighteen minutes after the hour, how about we do the Tom Davis Diaries, or as I like to refer to them as the yes urrip Ozzie Tom Davis with wild wacky stories from around the world and around the country right now.
Speaker 22: Good morning, Gary, Jeff this week, don't worry, it's just nickelback. But first, a drug dealer busted by his pet parrot officers arrested Adam Garnett for selling drugs after his parrot Mango, squawked two for twenty five two for twenty five. Mango also helped send fourteen other people up the river who are allegedly helping in the operation. Officers also found video of Mango talking about other drug deals that he was witnessed to. Some dude got scammed into buying three hundred years worth of gym memberships. It's not like they stole his credit card. He bought them kind of like a pyramid scheme. He was promised the chance to resell them at a profit, and when he wasn't able to offload them, he went back for a refund and the employees.
Speaker 1: Of the gym were nowhere to be found.
Speaker 22: So how much was he out? One hundred and twenty one thousand dollars. Some lady tried to fleece her own mother. She stayed her own kidnapping and then demanded thirty thousand dollars in ransom and didn't last very long. Police found her high in a hotel using Find my iPhone. She was arrested for simulating a kidnapping and finally, a rescue team in British Columbia recently received a call about someone crying for help near a popular rock climbing spot. When emergency crews arrived, they found a man camping alone, singing nickelback at the top of his lungs. He told officers he didn't realize how loud he was being and apologized for the noise. Next week, couple sits down for a fancy dinner. Segull swoops in and nabs a one hundred dollars steak.
Speaker 1: Have a great weekend. Come MP had another hour of the Saturday Morning edition for this Saturday, August ninth, twenty twenty five. Hey, howdy, GJ. Dobbs with you on another Saturday morning. And look look who's here? Our friend science Mike waiting in the wings with a science med it or two. A favorite part of the morning. A lot of folks, including me.
Speaker 16: Yes, but as a night scientists been surprising the now blinding.
Speaker 1: Me with Michael, welcome back.
Speaker 9: Thanks.
Speaker 1: I know you you didn't feel well last Saturday. But everything clear up? Every everything better?
Speaker 9: Oh yeah, yeah, everything's fine. Yeah a good good. Yeah.
Speaker 1: What's on your mind?
Speaker 9: Before we get to the the fain topic? Uh, this quick fact about I just read this that Mark Zuckerberg's yacht has been really pumping out, uh been really moving a lot lately. Last six months. He's put out uh fifty three hundred tons of CO two and two million leaders of diesel fuel burns. So that's like you and I, who have to drive the work, we really put out well, we put out in a year four point six times per year in a typical vehicle. So he put out fifty three hundred tons for his person.
Speaker 1: It's like it's like a O. S. C. And Bernie Sanders and their private jets and everything else. They have to do that because it's their job, you know, and think about who they are. This is Mark friggin Zuckerberg after all, this is AOC, this is Bernie Sanders. It's not for not for them, but for everybody else.
Speaker 9: Good for the goose isn't good for the gander anymore. So. This past week was August sixth, nineteen forty five, the historical dropping of the Russiama bomb. And one of the interesting things I read recently is like the actual flight of Paul Tibbett's for what he had to do to actually maneuver, he had to do to survive the dropping of the bomb.
Speaker 6: So just too quick.
Speaker 9: Let's let's think about it real quick. So typical dropping of the bomb, you know, you drop the you typically drop a bomb and you take off straight away from the bomb and you know, drop your pa load and get away as fa as you can, or in this or you could drop it into a complete one eighty so you have one hundred and eighty degree hundred and eighty degree turn, neither of which he would survive if he would have went straight ahead. You need, he needed to get about nine miles away from the bomb blast. Okay, And this is what Oppenheimer told him. He said, if you fly straight ahead, Paul, if you do fly straight ahead, no one will ever know where you were there. So what they had to do was determine the optimum uh slat down range angle he had to turn. So you do it, you know, I know, it's a lot a lot of not really hard math, but he had that. They determined that he had to turn make a one hundred and fifty four degree turn away from the bomb drop to UH to avoid the avoid the impact. And actually, you know, so he actually what he did as soon as they dropped, he dropped the bomb. And I didn't know this, but he he took it off autopilot. So there he was on autopilot, which back in nineteen forty five is you know, pretty good. It's in and of itself. So it disengages the autopilot and immediately drops the drops it. It does a sixty degree bank, which is a steep bank away from the from from the direction he was when he dropped the bombing, and he did one hundred and fifty four degree turn, and that allowed them allowed the plane to get over the nine mile requirement. He actually got about twelve miles away, and he actually had this comment was like we were eleven mile eleven and a half miles past from the explosion. He said, the whole airplane cracked and crinkled from the from the blast. So he actually got hit with a two point five g shock wave. And they obviously survived in the plane of the plane is up? Is the plane up in the right pat or is it the Nagasaki or I'm.
Speaker 1: Not sure today is the animal of Nagasaki you're talking about Horotia.
Speaker 9: Yeah, but the plane for the all day is obviously they survived, both of them. That pile did so not a simple hey, just drop your bomb and get out of there. It's like, hey, you got to follow this certain process or you're not going to make it back.
Speaker 1: So you know what else, I found out that Truman made the ultimate decision on where to drop the second one, and he picked Nagasaki. They had several other cities they could have and Nagasaki at the time had the biggest population of Christians in all of Asia. And for some reason, yeah, Truman decided to drop the second A bomb on a city with no military uh use at all, the civilian population and it happened to be the largest Christian population in all of Asia at the time by percentage.
Speaker 9: And I know they when they dropped the Nagasaka that was the that was our last ISSMIC bomb. We had no more. So yeah, I mean we could have developed another one who had taken months to.
Speaker 1: Do that, so well, you know, let's just pray that we never see it again. Michael, thank you.
Speaker 9: I'm just saying that SCIENTI yeah, I agree.
Speaker 1: All right, Thank you, very yeh good, it's good to talk to you again. It's eight twelve with seven hundred WLW. Maybe your forecast has follows Sonny and Hot who guessed it's August. It is high time we check in with our friend brother Rick Green, sharing the word of God with us on the Nation station this morning, once again truth and positivity in a world that doesn't show a whole lot of that most of the time. Brother Rick, good morning, How are you my friend?
Speaker 12: Hey, good morning Gary.
Speaker 13: I just got down playing for you and young Lift.
Speaker 1: Did you say me and my listener or listeners? Oh?
Speaker 9: Listeners?
Speaker 1: Well, sometimes I wonder how many there are. Really. I know my wife's tuned in Good Morning, Babe, Morning christ to two point zero and Frankie the Wonder Cat. So I guess I have at least two listeners.
Speaker 12: Rick, Gary.
Speaker 13: I'm in the backyard and I bought Serenity a pool three weeks ago. Nobody told me how much work it was gonna be.
Speaker 6: It's work.
Speaker 1: Well you got you got an above ground pool in your backyard.
Speaker 6: Yeah, and I got this robot Fame to clean the bottom. It keeps sitting in one spot, and I got.
Speaker 12: Nets on the water.
Speaker 8: I gotta do this every day.
Speaker 12: Nobody telling me that part.
Speaker 1: No, it's the pool is a lot of work.
Speaker 13: Yes, we have Peter Chapter three, verse nine. Okay, the lord that is not low to keeping his promises as some understand slowness. Instead, he is patient with you, not wanting anyone to perish, for everyone to come to repenting, And I am so thankful for that.
Speaker 1: I am too. Can can you read the verse again? I think sometimes it gets lost and it deserves repeating.
Speaker 13: Okay, Second Peter, Chapter three, verse nine. The Lord is not slow in keeping his promises, as some understand slowness. Instead, he is patient with you, not wanting anyone to perish, for everyone to come to repenting.
Speaker 1: And amen to that. Amen to that, indeed, Brother, thank you so much for sharing, for sharing the great Word with us this morning.
Speaker 13: Hey, as long as God let me do it, Jerry, I'm here and have a blessed.
Speaker 1: Day you too. Now have you got a shock for your pool and all that stuff? All the right chemicals so the water's nice and clean?
Speaker 13: Yeah? I got older Any spine from our little girl, Gary, anythine for her?
Speaker 1: All right? Rick, we'll have fun the pool boy eight eighteen. And I think we should talk to that Teresa. She's got other words for us. Good morning that, Teresa.
Speaker 5: Oh, good morning my friend Gary, Jeff, Good morning christ the two point Now Frankie, the fabulous Streeline, Miss Lanette.
Speaker 6: God bless you. I heard the song I'm forever blowing bubbles.
Speaker 5: When she was talking about she was bubbling this morning. I'm always glad and fond of getting dicked through Dayton every Saturday morning. That being said, good, better and different. Guess what my cat did this morning?
Speaker 6: Jeff what?
Speaker 5: I beat her and her son every day.
Speaker 6: Okay, they're outside cats.
Speaker 5: I don't know if this is a good thing or bad thing an omen, but she came in this morning and she had something. Now this is eight o'clock with something in her mouth, and I looked at it and I'm thinking, oh my god, it's a mouse. No, sir, it was a little bird, and she was presenting it to me as a gift for thanking me for bringing her food.
Speaker 6: I guess every morning. In a little blur blue out of her mouth.
Speaker 5: Went up on the screen and she nailed it and walked and I looked at her like, are you kidding me?
Speaker 12: Right now?
Speaker 6: She went outside and me out.
Speaker 5: So that that's how I'm going right now.
Speaker 1: They do do that. Cats do definitely do that. They're going to bring you gifts, and sometimes their gifts that you're not expecting, and you maybe don't want, especially in.
Speaker 6: That is a gift. Okay, okay, this is important?
Speaker 5: Is Liam there by chance he is? I have a word, my word? Okay, forgive me, Reverend Green. My word of the day is not a word, it's it's a two word thing.
Speaker 6: Actually, it's for.
Speaker 5: My sisters at the NBA.
Speaker 6: Liam. I'm not sure if you covered this or not.
Speaker 5: There was an adult toy debacle in the NBA and they had to have a timeout. And there was also a girl who lost her weave. They had to call a timeout so she could go to the locker room, an official timeout. Now, I don't recall it ever happening in the NBA or a guy's that book topro.
Speaker 6: But here's the deal.
Speaker 5: Okay, A woman's franchise is worth like nine point.
Speaker 6: Five billion, seventy million men to so many billions. Okay.
Speaker 5: That being said, the word of the day phrase is white elephant. Oh what is a white elephant? One might say it's a burdensome asset, property or investment whose cost of upkeep is not in line with its usefulness or value. Now, WNBA teams are up one hundred and eighty percent increase for twoenty twenty four. All right, I just wanted to have fun with the word of the day today. I hope you forgive me and understand. God bless you and thank you.
Speaker 1: White Elephant. Also perfect example besides the WNBA is Stephen Colbert. Mister birthday Tuba, what are you doing up early on a Saturday morning? This one is for Liam. Oh that's right, his birthday is Monday. So Liam, if you don't mind, mister birthday Tuba will blow for you. Yeah. What do you think about that? Liam? It's every time. Thank you, mister birthday Tuba.
Speaker 6: Bye bye.
Speaker 1: Just randomly, out of the blue, he calls in and he plays Happy Birthday for you on his tuba, like he has done for many of our listeners on their birthdays. I mean, do you feel loved now, Liam?
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's the only birthday gift I need in this world, you know, Fellas, I'm in Kenton alone, right there, missus tuba.
Speaker 1: I'm glad you feel that way, because that's all you're It is eight forty on a Saturday morning, August the night, and everybody's back now Mos back from his vacation. Liam's here, of course, He's leaving us for his birthday week celebration. He said that he could probably be here next Saturday. Say, I'm being faced with not having a producer at all next Saturday. Having a one man shop this along with AI does not bode well for the producer position. I would think if they're entrusting me with doing it all, let's go to Mow and see if he's been faced with this recently. Hey Mo, how are you doing doing fine? Have you had to produce the sports talk show yourself while you were doing take calls and all of that by yourself as a one man operation?
Speaker 6: No, I have not, but Austin Elmore does it all the time.
Speaker 1: I'm going to be attempting that next Saturday morning. Now as someone as someone who ran my own board for years as a music disc jockey, I mean it's a little bit different. The screening the screening call aspect is not going to work out really well unless I just call all of the people myself on the show when I'm in a commercial break and then just ignore the phones completely. But I just wondered if if you'd been faced with this, so maybe I should talk to Austin Elmore to find out if there are any tricks that I need to learn to do this correctly. I'm these are brave new, brave new worlds that we're entering into. And like I said, I wonder if I get the measly money that the producer gets in addition to my salary. I think I should, don't you think so?
Speaker 6: Absolutely? You're doing two jobs and paid for two jobs.
Speaker 1: Tack on another ten bucks an hour for GJ. Dubbs. Man, I'm all over it.
Speaker 6: There you go.
Speaker 1: I wanted to ask you, now, you were at the lake last week or somewhere.
Speaker 9: Lake?
Speaker 1: How was that.
Speaker 6: Delightful, delightful, good weather and all that perfect?
Speaker 9: Yeah?
Speaker 6: Yeah, we did not get the bad weather that they got in the other part of Tennessee with the ball game last Yeah.
Speaker 1: Well I love that. I was actually in Tennessee last Sunday too, for my mom's eighty eighth birthday.
Speaker 13: Wow.
Speaker 6: Yeah, well bless Yeah.
Speaker 1: My dad is going to be eighty nine, we pray in October. He is rheumatoid arthritis and mild cojes of heart failure. My mother, on the other hand, being only ten months younger than my father, is one of those on wheels.
Speaker 9: Man.
Speaker 1: She just crazy. She gets up. She asked me if I wanted to make sausage gravy for breakfast on Monday before we headed back. I said, sure. So I've got the sausage in my hand and she comes out in the kitchen, grabs it away from me, opens it up. I said, Mom, I thought you wanted me to make this sausage gravy. But she's nuts, absolutely nuts at eighty eight and I love her. So anyway, I wanted to ask you about this WNBA thing, the throwing of things on the floor. I mean, do WNBA fans think they're students at Xavier and Bob Huggins is out on the floor. I don't. I don't know what the deal is there, but they're throwing things on the floor. And here's the thing. This is not the first time this has happened in the w NBA, where things have been thrown on the floor that are inappropriate, and so the WNBA band people from bringing big bags in or searching people's bags. So on the last two occasions. This is after the bag band and Liam asked, I think a pertinent question, and see if you've got an answer. How are they getting these devices these things in if they don't have a bag to how are they smuggling them in.
Speaker 9: Do you think MoU in their pockets?
Speaker 6: You?
Speaker 1: I mean, I have to be you have to be somewhere on their person, in their clothing, somewhere.
Speaker 6: I guess, Yeah, what's being thrown what's being thrown in the floor? Sex toys? So you know, call it what it is, uh, you know, I would, I mean, it's not exactly you know, winter time, so you're not wearing a coat in But I mean, I would imagine if if you really have designs on bringing a sex toy to a basketball game, it can't be all that hard. I guess. You know, the first guy that did it, they arrested, you know, he said he was doing it to be funny, and he was with his buddies. I just I don't know, man, I cannot imagine sitting with somebody and they say to me, hey watch this, I'm gonna throw a sex toy onto the floor. That I would find that terribly amusing. I don't. I don't understand the humor in that. I don't understand why you do that. I don't understand why you would pay for a ticket. So I'm sure is not inexpensive. Pay for a ticket and decide I'm gonna get kicked out, and I'm gonna do this and subject myself to maybe being arrested. I don't I don't get it. I don't find it funny. But I guess if if you are held bent on bringing a sex toy into a basketball game, you probably don't need a bag to bring it in.
Speaker 1: I find the whole conversation uncomfortable, and I brought it up, so it's my fault. Sorry, It's okay.
Speaker 6: God, it sucks. It sucks for that league. I mean, it sucks for that league, which has so much good going for right now, which is so high profile right now, and it sucks for those players who have.
Speaker 11: To deal with that.
Speaker 6: That's it makes me uncomfortable as well. And uh, I mean it's just.
Speaker 1: Where are the adults, mo, Where are they?
Speaker 6: I just correct? Yeah, yeah, I mean, look, these aren't I'm gonna imagine that. These aren't thirteen year old kids eving sex toys onto the floor at a WNBA game. These are technically people who are grown and who should know better. But for some reason, Dult and I do not understand.
Speaker 1: I think I think it's some of Liam's friends.
Speaker 6: To be honest with you, I've seen that crowd Liam Hangsley, I know it's quite diverse.
Speaker 1: He was hanging with Jack Grumley the other night, but that's another story. So I wanted to today, among other things, August ninth is Dion Sanders' fifty eighth birthday, and I just wanted to get Mowegger's thoughts on Dion Sanders in general, the long, illustrious athletic career. Obviously that continues into coaching and all of that, but your thoughts on Neon Dion primetime, maybe.
Speaker 6: The most accomplished athlete we've had since Jim Thorpe. Think about it. Deon Sanders is in the Hall of Fame as an NFL player. Deon Sanders had a baseball career that saw him at one point hit over five hundred in a World Series. He wasn't a great baseball player, but he wasn't a bad baseball player either, And I'm certainly among those who believe like, had he played baseball full time, man, he really could have been something. I mean, he was his speed, he could hit the ball the other way. I mean, he was a better baseball player than I think people who didn't see him would realize. So he played at the highest level in two major sports, and he's been a successful college football coach as well as two different programs. And I and then you add to it his you know, persona, his ability to self promote. I I'm for the most part of very big Deon Sanders. San. I haven't loved everything everything that he has done at Colorado in terms of how he's handled the media there. But what what he has accomplished in really three different high profile realms is is awesome. I mean to play at the level that he did in two different sports and then have success. And by the way, at Jackson State and at Colorado, it's not like he took over Ohio State or Alabama. You know he and look, Colorado probably gets more coverage than they deserve relative to the success that they've had. But I, you know, he's he's turned around a program that nobody has talked about for you know, really three decades. That on top of what he did as a as an athlete, he was a musicscent as well, and that was terrible. But Deon Sanders is one of the most significant sports figures. I would say at the last century. It's you cannot have a conversation about sports in the United States of America. Let's just say over the last fifty years about spending time talking about Deon Sanders, and by the way, it was on teams that won. You know, he was a Super Bowl champion with the forty nine ers, a Super Bowl champion with the Dallas Cowboys. He made the Atlanta Falcons matter. But for the first time in my life in the early nineteen nineties, played in the World Series. You know, for the Atlanta Braves, like Deon Sanders, is for the most part awesome, I would agree.
Speaker 1: And the thing that a lot of people don't understand is we don't script these things at all. I never talked to you about what I'm going to talk to you about at the moment, because oh I think about it, but I don't, you know. And so for you to come up with that fabulous answer for a stupid question, I appreciate that.
Speaker 6: That's what I like about it. I never know what I'm gonna get, which is great, all right.
Speaker 1: So are the Bengals. Even though one game is not especially a preseason game any isn't indicative of what we're going to get during the regular season. Are the Bengals gonna have to score thirty five points a game to get to the playoffs this year.
Speaker 12: What it feels like and huh, I mean, you know, Thursday night felt just like the continuation of last season where Joe Burrow is awesome and the defense isn't. Look what they're trying to accomplish with their defense. I think it's a pretty perilous approach where you know, when you watch them on opening Day, if you haven't followed the Bengals offseason, you're going to see the Bengals play against the Browns, assuming you know they get through preseason healthy, and you're gonna go, wait a minute, that guy's still here.
Speaker 6: Wait a minute. Didn't that guy play on last year's bad defense? Wait a minute, didn't replace that dude? They're asking al Gold into a She's different results with basically the same group of guys. They've added some players TJ. Slayton or Burks. Obviously, they drafted some defense excuse me, some defensive players Demetrius Knight, Tamar Stewart. But you know, I think last December and January we were talking about, you know, the Bengals are going to spend the offseason overhauling their defense, and they didn't. They just overhauled their defensive coaching staff, and so maybe it'll work. It's certainly, you know, unfair to you know, assume that this isn't going to work based on one preseason game. But unfortunately, the way they played against the Eagles on that side of the football looked and felt painfully familiar. And them for this team last year was they have to outscore everybody until we see something different. I think that's going to be the assumption for this coming season.
Speaker 1: I mentioned Dione sanders fifty eighth birthday today. It is also this August ninth, the ninety seventh birthday of basketball Royalty Bob Coozy, and I asked Liam if he knew who Bob Coosey was, because I didn't think he did. He said, the Hoodini of the hard wood. Of course, if you ever want to learn anything about handling the basketball in real speed time, all you got to do is watch old films of Bob Coosey from the nineteen sixties. Absolutely amazing. I did get to see him play at the tail end of his career when I was very very young. But most people today who follow the NBA have absolutely zero idea who Bob Coosey is or was.
Speaker 6: And a former head coach of the Cincinnati Royals.
Speaker 1: Exactly, So happy birthday to Bob Coosey wherever you are enjoying life at the age of ninety seven. Well, Mo, it's always a fun ride. And why why why do the Reds always suck when they play the Pirates in Pittsburgh.
Speaker 6: You know, the Pirates have good pitching. I mean, there's no denying that ms Keller and Paul Skins. As bad as the Pirates record is because they do not hit, they have good pitching. Unfortunately, you know, a formula that has worked for much of the season did last night. Tony Santien has been really good. I fear he's maybe been overworked. You know, he comes in to protect a one run lead in the attending last night and couldn't get it done. The Reds offensive shortcomings are real. They have overcome them often this year and I believe will continue to do so because the starting pitching is really good. But their offensive shortcomings we've as well as they played those first two games in Chicago, they haven't hit the last three. And you know, the good news is it feels like nobody they're chasing wants to win. The New York Mets are in free fall. The San Diego Padres have had a bad week, but three and a half game deficit is not insurmountable. But it's not insignificant. They can't afford it to themselves a bigger hole. They've got to win these next two games against the Pirates.
Speaker 1: We have a great weekend, Thank you, sir, And with that we turned to Mike Allan Saturday midday, Just ahead, counselor, Good morning, Good morning, How are you. I'm good, I'm good, happy to be here. Yeah, I didn't tell the lawyer joke. I'm saving that for next week. I'll make sure I remember, speaking of which, you've kind of backed away from your practice a little bit, right a lot. Are you enjoying life? Oh you wouldn't believe it. Yes I am.
Speaker 10: I really am still enjoyed doing radio and and filling in on occasion. But yeah, you know, after fifty one years in the criminal justice system in one way, shape or form, last twenty doing criminal defense work, it just was enough. I mean, really, there comes a point where you just say I've had no Sean, I want to do this anymore. What's on the show today, really well, i'll tell you what. We're going to go over the indictments that were handed down on the downtown beatdown. The Hamil County police chiefs have weighed in on that. Going to talk about that. Jannis Heisel of Epic Times. She has a fantastic article about the fentanyl epidemic as relates to social media, specifically Snapchat. These kids doing drug deals on Snapchat because Snapchat is kind of anonymous. Going to talk to Christopher Smitheman give us a lowdown on the town hall meeting Monday. Also, Jasmine Crockett back in the News Diva extraordinaire. Some of her ex employees are going public and it's great. Also good news there's going to be no removal of qualified immunity on the November ballot.
Speaker 1: It didn't get enough signatures, so that's really good news. We're going to talk about that. Excellent after the show show at Huddle's Cafe. Catch us if you can. We'd love to see us sometime between eleven and seven slinging drinks for Hillbillies and others. Thanks to Liam Tomlinson and thanks to you