Speaker 1: Hello, and welcome to Deep Blue Sea the podcast. I am Mark, It's a yeadie half Myron and.
Speaker 2: I am Jay doctor Kittle's cluet. Welcome you on board. See the podcast Dror It's very little Sup of this episode is the name mentioned in the show, and I liked it. This is on this show we've been to the entire DeepC trilogy scene by scene. Maybe we're doing it again, I don't know. We've also talked about deep adjacent films, which is what we're doing today, which is shows a shark's aquadic accent or directed by Rennie Harlan, and today we are amongst the last few Nny Harlan films we have to cover. So they were talking about Devil's Pass or the Diatlov Pass Incident, depending on where you live, because for me it's al past incident. And who doesn't love a film with the word incident in the title, A sexy word down in the toddle of your film Devil's Pass?
Speaker 1: What are you going to go to theaters to watch tonight?
Speaker 2: I'm going to go and see the Tornado Incident with Glenn Powell and the other people in Twisters. Incident is such a just a clumsy, awkward, bureaucratic work the depth of past incident. It's anyway, that's not It's Devil's Pass Front Devil's Pass, which is a twenty thirteen Rennie Hardened film. Found Footage tells the story of five college kids who go into the euro Mountains to track down the true the true story of the nine guys, nine Russian guys who in nineteen fifty nine went into the euro Mountains died mysteriously. Let's go check that out, and what do you know, hilarity ensues. So we didn't know if this film was going to be any good or not, so we thought, let's have a guest on this show just in case, and it turned out well, we'll find out how it turned out. But Mark, who's joining us today?
Speaker 1: We have a man who has traveled all the way in northern Russia, embedded himself in the mountains to record this episode.
Speaker 3: It's no more Van Greetings. I'm suffering from hypothermic dementia.
Speaker 1: That sounds like every movie and I feel like fine episode.
Speaker 2: I'm glad you haven't a little still tongue.
Speaker 1: Yeah, if I find your tongue in a box, Norbert, I'm gonna be I'm gonna be confused because you're a Northern Russian. Right now, I'm gonna I'm in America. I open up my nailbox and your tongues there.
Speaker 3: Look, man, you never know when about of paradoxical undressing is going to just spring upon you. So you know or these are the things that happen. Well, YETI with the powers of Nightcrawler.
Speaker 1: So I was looking through Rendy Harlan's career, and so he shot this thing in northern Russia. But then he's also like in the beginning, like from the from when he started filming until now, he's been all over the place. He's been in Finland in skip. Tracy shot all over China, Mongolia, every region of China that you could imagine. He's been to Thailand, Malta, Mexico, Netherlands, Italy, Morocco, Canada, America. He had a decent stint in Louisiana. He filmed in the country of Georgia. He went to Abu Dhabi, he filmed in Italy, Greece, Dubai, Bulgaria, like Russia, like this guy, he doesn't stay still with this. I feel like he's been all over the world with his movies, and then so it just makes sense that you know what I love about this movie, He's like, we need to find a place that always has snow. So they went north. They went north of where the incident took place.
Speaker 2: He learned from die Hard too. Yeah, because die Hard Too, he shot and there was no snow and everywhere he went, and so they spent a bloody fortune on making fake snow. I feel like it was mashed potato. Oh and no, it's just fixed. So yeah, he went where there was snow, it's gonna be snow.
Speaker 1: And it made it.
Speaker 2: An awful place to film because they they filmed I can't remember name in the town, but they where they were kind of based was it was like a prison town where most of the people that lived in the town had moved there because their relatives were in the prison, and so to only go and visit them, they've been nearby because Russia is a big place, and so to go to go visit your family in the prison would take like three days on a plane to get there, and so they stayed in there. And so also it was and the reason they filmed there was because it was one of the few towns that had hotels, just in Russia in the mountains at hotels, and so Rennie's talking about he survived in a diet of boiled potatoes, herring, and vodka for the entire shoot. And it was just a real unpleasant shoot for a lot of the cast members to be in this real backer beyond location.
Speaker 3: My god, man, the bathrooms were just destroyed during this photo. I think, weren't they.
Speaker 2: They could have just shot in Vancouver, but that that's not that's not what Rennie does.
Speaker 1: That's a nice style, but I love it though. He's like, you know what, let's just go like, let's go to Russia. Let's bring some snowcats and some snowmobiles and like that. That's why I love Rennie. Like so many people would have filmed this in a Georgia backlot during the summer, like every Hallmark movie just dumps coats on people, throws fake snow on the ground and goes it's fine, it's fine. He's like, no, we're going in northern Russia. Because in Skip Trace Too, they wanted to film what all those rice patties, but they were all dry at that time of the year, so then they had to rewet them, so I think he's tired of it. He's like, no, we are going to no wait Skip Trace was afterwards. Oh so he didn't really learn his lesson Jay.
Speaker 2: Hed done different Diehode too, Yeah, because he learned a snow lesson there it is. He had yet to learn the rice paddy lesson.
Speaker 1: He's just learning as he goes. But I just love it all these countries that he's been in. I mean like Misfits was like in Dubai and then like just Skip Trace was all over and Georgia Three Days of War was he actually went to the country of Georgia and filmed there, lived in a one bedroom house. So just at least this movie has that devil's past. It has a guy named Jensen, which I don't like, but it I never I don't like the name Jensen. Guys I don't And they.
Speaker 2: Say it's a last name.
Speaker 1: They say, yeah, Mike is c a last name, It's not like Jensen, Yeah yeah, But like they say about forty three times, like where's Jensen, Yeah, where's Jensen? And they have very o like early two thousand's facial hair, which is interesting in twenty thirteen, but it is a time travel movie.
Speaker 2: So that yeah, I mean spoiler.
Speaker 1: What's this? What's this experience for you? Norbert watching this?
Speaker 4: What happens is it starts off, uh with pictures of frozen corpses uh in rictus with the most terrifying expressions on their face.
Speaker 3: And then you cut to Sonny Holly, Hi, I'm making a movie, so you're just what, huh, And then it's the most complicated setup in the world. In nineteen fifty nine, nine people froze to death in the mountain. We don't know why. And the whole time I'm thinking, because it's cold, maybe it could be. But then they do have the look of terror, and you find out that one had their head crushed, two were holding onto each other tight.
Speaker 2: Poisoning.
Speaker 5: Another one was poisoned, right, just one, just one, uh, you know, the one was putting the finish and touches on his letter to Santa before he died.
Speaker 3: And it's it's just a lot. It's just a lot, but more interesting than blair Witch during the same span of time because blair Witch was only I feel like blair Witch was less than ninety minutes, just barely ninety minutes, and a lot of the time they're just yelling at each other and her anchor and the saliva, the salivary glens were just working. Uh this one, you know, we get to see uh, relatively attractive women. We get teased with potential nudity. Uh, we got we got avalanches.
Speaker 2: We thenorting mutants.
Speaker 3: We have teleporting mutants who do the now post two thousand screaming thing.
Speaker 6: You know.
Speaker 3: I find this movie fascinating And if you catch it on the rewatch, you have to wonder if when they killed the boy JP spoiler alert for your kids who haven't seen it, does he kind of recognize the tattoo on the chick's neck because I love that twist at the end.
Speaker 2: Yeah, maybe we should say full spoiler for I mean, if it was this part hasn't seen it yet, I'm gonna say, watch this film. I was surprised. I already enjoyed it. I thought it was great. I'm good. I'm liking our journey through some of Rainie's kind of forgotten films and finding some that are actually like entertaining, like this. This is a film that just flower doesn't exist, Like no one talks about the Devil's past. This is probably his like lost period, but I like, I put this on a level with like Prison, which I really enjoyed, and not quite other with Mind Hunters.
Speaker 3: Easily long kiss good night quality of this movie.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean that's that's I think. So, yeah, I I had a fun time with this one. I could call you up on saying like relatively good looking women. Jem Ratkinson is the sound engineer, and she has been a long term crush for me, so I had no idea she was in this film, and like when they paneled and this is Denise alredo engineer and like recognize your face and wait in a minute, it is generally what the hell? Because she was in She's done. So, she was in soap operas in the UK. She's on Hollyoaks and Emmadale, two shows that I've never really watched, but I've always been aware of her. She did like strictly come dancing and I'm de serting to get me out of that kind of thing. So she's always been like present as a celebrity and I always like, yeah, I'm a fan of yours. So just to see like watching Renny hard on him was like, wait, jam Rackinson's fifth building this hell, Yes, I mean.
Speaker 1: When he was casting, He's like, yeah, I needed to find unknowns, but they also need to be attractive because we got to look at him for ninety minutes. Like that's what he said.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, he knows. I'd say she's not unknown in the UK. But also I didn't immediately recognize her, so because this is like eight eight years after she left Hollyoaks, which he'd been on for five years. So anyway that I just had to go out of the way and then we can just get back to the fump.
Speaker 3: But Jenson's probably that changed her facial structure and she didn't recognize her at first.
Speaker 2: Maybe maybe this is why she's also the first.
Speaker 1: To go You just you send him up in the Northern Russia and he comes back with something very cromulent, like he just it doesn't matter where you send him, you'll get something very like worth watching back in fun like Rennie, you have four days to prep for the Legend of Hercules and you're filming in Bulgaria and you have thirty you know, you have twenty two days to shoot it. He's like a yeah, cool, I got you. Like you'll like you got to go to Georgia and film with a cast crew of people who speak eighteen different languages, and you have thirteen days to shoot it. Yeah, yeah, it's fine, I got it. Then he comes out with the movie it's it's just something I love about him, and you're like, the one thing I do hate about found footage is the fake ums. The good actors got to know how to get the ums. See Blair Witch works because the actors had no idea what's going on. They're like, yeah, go in the woods and walk around with the camera, and so that's why it feels very authentic because they're like, I have no idea what's going on out here, Like we're just in the middle of the woods and there's no script, So that one feels natural. But I always hate the fake ums. I don't know if you guys notice that, Like in the beginning when they're being interviewed, they just throw a little um in there to make it seem like found footage. And we talked about that. There's a Mermaid documentary, Yeah, normally have you never heard about the Mermaid mockumentary that animal of course, yes, yes, yes, yes, Like all the actors go um but then but then, and people um but their arms still very inorganic. That's my major annoyance of found footage there.
Speaker 2: I feel like I'm gonna notice that every time I see any found footage film from now on. So thanks, appreciate it.
Speaker 3: But for me, the most annoying thing about fine footage is the inevitable oh shit, and the camera just has the conniption and now.
Speaker 2: It's still film running, still, keep inframe.
Speaker 3: That's always the worst part.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 3: What's the movie where the guy goes over to do an exorcism but he doesn't believe it. But then and by the end of the movie, oh my god, they're actually conjuring up a demon and he's running, and not only is it found footage, but he's running and it's night and it's the woods. So the camera goes up left, down, right, up, left, upside down. Oh look behind you. That's so that's always the worst for me in the found footage films.
Speaker 1: I gotta keep it in frame.
Speaker 2: Guys, why someone's gonna together one day?
Speaker 3: Yeah, Survival of the Dead, Why are you still recording? It's just the thing I have to keep going.
Speaker 2: Oh not that, not that movie, Diary of the Dead.
Speaker 1: I think we're in the middle of the it's the apocalypse and we're all sad, we're all speaking monotone. The world's gone. The crab like that's the whole movie. But I don't know.
Speaker 2: We're making a zombie movie and there's attack and the scenes you wrote this is what you wanted. You're filming the scenes the lady running in the dress and the dress is God.
Speaker 3: See dead things do more. So I told you that.
Speaker 1: I love that the Russians got a hold of that guy's cell phone camera footage and edited it together into.
Speaker 2: The Okay, right, I like this film. There's a massive plot hole in as a couple towards the end, but like so the that there's we're all being shown this film because there's okay, okay, I'll go circle back to this, but I really like this film. Early on, when we have order that we meet our five teens to whatever they are college kids and they're going away and and I can't now time to go cut to news report of them trying to be found. I laughed out loud and like, oh great, that's this film. Is like we've set the carriage and then really dead and we're going to go and do something else. I didn't I didn't expected to circle back around and now we're going to see their story. I was like, and this is our five people and dead and something else is gonna happen. So I found that hilarious, and I was a little disappointed that they went back and like and now two weeks earlier, here's their stories. Okay, Fine, so we're being shown this footage because there's like a news broadcast like these five people have disappeared in the mountains. We found their camera. Well, no, the footage has been hacked. And here is the footage uploaded?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 2: How we hacked from where?
Speaker 3: Because like this this spoiler the government.
Speaker 2: Because this camera went back in time to nineteen fifty nine and it's just still in this lab when they come across it. In the lab, the batteries are still hanging on for a teeny tiny thirty seconds of quick watch this for the batteries die out that have been going for fifty years fifty and now they're going to die out. Fine, whatever, Fine, but at what point did somebody upload it somewhere it could be hacked?
Speaker 1: When did that happen?
Speaker 2: How is it hacked from this bunker that is not connected to the internet.
Speaker 3: You have to understand, you know, WikiLeaks. WikiLeaks spent so much time uncovering footage of American soldiers shooting unarmed people and exposing democratic and Republican secrets that they decided, you know what, let's get this found footage out there. Let's do that. That's the next big thing that we have to do, because people have to find out what happened to these five kids who traveled through time and became in humanoids and.
Speaker 2: Potentially yet, I think that the name of the hacker organization, it's on screen briefy. I think it's Crypto Leaks, which might be smart as well.
Speaker 3: A film incident.
Speaker 2: But other than that, I'm on board with his whole film, which is that a little bit like how okay, the batteries and then how did they get this from?
Speaker 1: What put it there? Why?
Speaker 2: But other than that, I loved its machine.
Speaker 3: What is this machine? He said in Russian? I don't know, but I'm going to keep it perfectly framed on my face at all sides. I love that. I love that man.
Speaker 1: The editing is great. I mean it's a tight it's a tight package. I mean, these kids actually got a lot of coverage, and I dig that and Also, I love the poster too of The Devil's Past. It's like a naked lady with like freezing on a leak hand.
Speaker 2: It looks like my DVD cover is a mountain screaming, which I also kind of like, oh my god.
Speaker 3: That's terrifying. Actually that's actually the way to go. That's that's scary as hell.
Speaker 2: That's pretty cool.
Speaker 1: I like that screaming mountain screaming mountains.
Speaker 2: Can you can you see all the changes the milk if you? Yeah, screaming face kind of superposed. It's pretty cool.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's a good one.
Speaker 3: It's way scarier than Naked Chicken the snow.
Speaker 1: I love that. The marketing departments like, how should we market this naked lady in the snow?
Speaker 2: Naked lady something that doesn't happen in the film.
Speaker 1: They just have they have a board of like ten things, these people who do the posters, and they're like, okay, let's do that, Like, yeah, that one works for me. But yeah, and.
Speaker 3: And unfortunately my man who's out there doing the classic high hookup, he just gets badly killed. I was really rooting for Luke as he was trying to hook up with Denise, because you know, you try to spit game, you know what I'm saying. It wasn't him that initially zoomed in on her boobs. It was definitely that zoomed in on her boobs.
Speaker 2: It was him not telling her he's filming her in the morning when she's naked in bed, after they've had zex and planning to And then when she sees the camera, she's like, turn that off, and he doesn't.
Speaker 3: He's like, no, because I'm a creep and you're not the first and this is going to continue.
Speaker 2: And she's like, whatever, this tape and put it in my library of other tapes. I don't like this guy.
Speaker 1: And then he dies.
Speaker 3: This fine, he's Dennis Reynolds of the Snow you know. Sure, you know he's got the Dennis system, you know, and and this complication. Unfortunately, he's a bad person for the Andy system.
Speaker 1: He has the shortest gunfight too on the planet, and it just makes me happy. He shoots one flair then gets pegged right in the head immediately.
Speaker 3: In theory you knew that you literally only have one shot. It's a flare gun. Yeah, yeah, you're done for And I mean he's already sticking out the pants.
Speaker 2: So good jump for trying. I guess there's two guys. You have one flare. It's probably not gonna work, but you know, good on you.
Speaker 3: These people literally brought explosives to a mountain they tried to drop, which they tried to.
Speaker 2: Flut on you bro filming this. Rennie wanted to do that as well. Rennie wanted to make an avalanche, which I think he wanted to. He didn't. They talked him out of it, but he wanted to cause an avantage.
Speaker 1: That's almost anything ever too.
Speaker 2: They settled on C G I and then just like snow blowing some snow in their faces, and I think the effect is fine.
Speaker 3: Yeah, oh it's wonderful, especially when Denise's just face planted into the God.
Speaker 2: Yeah, she's just taken hour.
Speaker 3: I was like, well, she's clearly dead. And that's why I wasn't mad that he didn't go back for it, because click, there's nothing you can do.
Speaker 2: If someone got that camera out, We're saying someone when I go there.
Speaker 3: Well, not only that, the cell phone too.
Speaker 7: See when they say that they hacked this footage, there was at least two three cameras being shot at all times. Of course, you know you got Lucille, you know, because she's got she's got night vision and she's got a light.
Speaker 3: But people were shooting on their phones too.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Right, So they found all of this, uploaded it all and edited it together in between hacking the d n C, the RNC, and just the general the United States government. Yeah, it's important.
Speaker 1: What's gonna happen to the Russians? Now? Like, is this gonna be a hoax? Is it gonna be?
Speaker 6: Like?
Speaker 1: What's gonna people can be like, wait, what a.
Speaker 2: Bunch more kind of a conspiracy? Theorists are gonna head to the mountain and find out for themselves. The last thing that's gonna happen is people flocking from the all over the world world trying to go to the Daalo Pass and see what happens. And then maybe that'll die too.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 3: Okay, so we're just going to have a proliferation of teleporting mutants in North Asia is what you're saying.
Speaker 2: Oh God, but then that would it would have already happened, that the teleporting mutants, because like the nine people that died died because Holly and Jensen teleported back. I think this is what the film was trying to get out. They back there and then that radiation or whatever whatever that event was called that incident, it caused the nine people to die as well. So any more people going there must be prevented from going into the portal or we don't already know about the mutants going back unless the pile of mutant bodies that they find in the bunker with the weird teeth and whatever. Are the people who go to the bunker to find out what's happening because of the events of their well.
Speaker 3: Well they were also they've also been they've also been launching their soldiers through and then sure, yeah, when they come out. So that's why that would happen.
Speaker 2: Is that definitely their soldiers and not just more ghost hunters or yetti hunters.
Speaker 1: Well, they had all the papers, right, they had all the ideas, and they found the same one twice.
Speaker 2: Yes, you're right, that makes sense.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah.
Speaker 3: And in case you didn't understand, they were like remember that movie the Philadelphia Experience, I mean that thing, the Philadelphi Experience, you know, the Philadelphia Incident.
Speaker 2: If you will, sure, I do. I do really like just the idea of Rennie or is it written by victrom Wheat, like him finding out about this true thing that happened in the fifties is unexplained event, and like, let's make a horror film. How could it have been? What's the least like the explanation that it could have been time travel? Let's go and just making a film around that. It feels a little not great for the people who actually he died a little coughing of the word yeah, a little bit for them, because the real people that really died and we're just gonna, like, hey, make a horror film out of it. Uh, It'd be like if Jack and Rose were real people on the Titanic.
Speaker 1: Got it?
Speaker 3: Could it could also be the result of someone who consists on a diet of potatoes and harry and vodka one day sitting down, Oh got a great idea hearing Harrying numnum.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but I just thought that they were taking this unexplained event and strapping all of them around it. I think that's an interesting concept.
Speaker 1: And I mean sending college kids is smart too, because you know, just college kids are dumb. They think they're really smart, Like Jensen thinks he's like the smartest man on the planet. You know, like this one guy's like, I like the Appalachian Trail. I can go to Northern Russia and do this. And it's but but but you feel like people with it just makes sense though, Like you think college kids in Oregon would do that because they have the hubris to do it like that. It makes sense to me, Like it's not like you know, the cast of Everest up there doing it. It's a bunch of just kind of dummies going up there unprepared.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Like the two climbers they have, Like one I was like, I like to climb because you know, you really get back to nature and you can do do things out in equipment, and then he has all of his GPS, sat NAV and all of his actual tech stuff to help with the climb. Techout guy exactly doesn't see. And the other one is clearly from a very wealthy family because he has the same surname as the school they go to. And he's just like, yeah, you know, I'm just kind of a just like hanging out, you know. But no, you're just really a real rich kid who's had a free ride in life, and so you're just gonna go to check out and go traveling for you sure, and then yeah, Jensen being the real like Noah to all guy because they have an expert. They've interviewed an expert for this documentary and he's doing some kind of TikTok reaction video to them where he's playing them pause the and turns the camera like this is what I'm thinking about this. I just I couldn't wait for him to.
Speaker 3: Die, and it took so long as whatever, yet he come on that doesn't exist. It's so ridiculous.
Speaker 2: I mean, I went into this completely blind. Not no one was about to it, Like is it gonna be like the Russell Franklin story, like people get lost? I know, it's like cold in a mountains somewhere. That's all I knew. So I thought I were gonna see like the Sam Jackson origin story where they're up there and eat people and get out of the snow and stuff. So I didn't know where this was going, and I thought it was great.
Speaker 3: And just so bizarre.
Speaker 1: People keep calling Jensen gay too, like there's a running theme in this movie, and they're like, yeah.
Speaker 2: He's named his camera a female name. It's not how can it be more clear?
Speaker 1: But it's just like it's kind of interesting, Like they're like, yeah, because you're the gay one, and you're.
Speaker 3: Like, what, it's still that time. It's still that time.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you're right, like a decade ago. But it was just it came out of nowhere. Who wrote the someone?
Speaker 3: He's random?
Speaker 1: You know what, this is good. I'm gonna this isn't two thousand and four anymore. I'm gonna I'm gonna keep this, like did just going after Jensen like that. Every I love how everyone was really like chuffed buy it. Everyone was very happy whenever Jensen was called gay and you're just a very I don't know.
Speaker 3: And he's clearly got a thing for Holly. Yeah, he's so repressed and he's such a jerk.
Speaker 1: He's so jealous.
Speaker 6: He is really angry that JP is just everyone wants to bang JP because like she says.
Speaker 3: JP, oh, he's arrogant. Oh rugged. She came quick with that. But it seems like the whole time that Holly wants to hook up with uh oh, no, JP is Houser JP Hawser. Yeah, yeah, yes, it seems like Abdy wants to hook up with Houser. Yeah, it seems like Holly wants to look up with Houser, but she totally gives the vibe that, you know what, Bush comes to shove. I would me and Andy, let's go.
Speaker 1: You know, I loved.
Speaker 2: I loved it if one of the wake up the after one of the camping nights, and like the camera was now next to one of the climbers as well, like Lucille had abandoned JP to go.
Speaker 1: How dare you? Oh my god?
Speaker 3: Oh man, No one touches her zoom like I do.
Speaker 1: Have you heard of Emmerdale Farm Jay Emmadale the soap opera.
Speaker 2: I've heard Rackinson was one.
Speaker 1: Ryan Holly's on that the guy from this movie or Andy from this movie. He's he's on thirty four episodes of it.
Speaker 2: There's a lot sucked in. Okay, sure he's not on it. When my when I would live with my parents and they watched it, so I was aware of it then, but I did. I haven't watched it during his tenure. No, but yeah he's been. He's on casualty at the moment.
Speaker 1: So that soapactors are the best because they have to learn about seventy three lines like pages of dialogue a day, and then they just have to stand there and recite it like just seventy three pages, so it just takes. Like if I ever made a really low budget film, I just hire soap actors because like they got steel trap memories and they can just knock scenes out real quick. Just do some over the shoulder. I would have twins, someone would dine in an elevator, and then that would be I could make a really quick movie with soappactors. That's my plan. They do that with every Almost Christmas movie too, Like there's so many soap actors in those Hallmark movies because they can just stand there and deliver about, you know, thirty pages a day of dialogue.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's it's the writers of soap operas that I get more frustrated with, just because everything has to be so depressing. Like eighty to nine of soap storylines are just the most grim die things you could, especially in the UK, and occasionally have like a lighthearted episode now and then, but for the most part, it's like, oh everyone's dead and now I'm dying too, and my wife me and I've gone bankrupt, and the cat's got over by car and how is the asteroid coming? Everything's just one thing off for another's.
Speaker 3: Pretty great American soaps. You know, we're rich and somebody sleeping with somebody, and he died in a car crash, but it was actually his twin brother. And now I've inherited his maserati and I'm going to murder you. It's it's very sordid. It's very sordid and hilarious. And oh here Stephen A. Smith, Suddenly he's there, the sports commentator slash journalist. It's real random.
Speaker 1: If I wrote a soap, Norbert would be in it, and you'd have about forty three characters that have been like killed off like this.
Speaker 3: All brothers just keep coming back. I'm Philip.
Speaker 1: Bill, But I just give you it. I just give you a different color, you know, glasses.
Speaker 3: Different classes exactly.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I question, quick question, Jay, how do you say blueberry? Because as soon as they started saying blue okay, that's what tripped me out in this movie they're eating do you like blueberry pancakes? Why you're from Oregon?
Speaker 1: Blueberry?
Speaker 3: That's what you looked at the American What are you doing to me? Oh my god, blueberry, bluer blueberry.
Speaker 2: We have we have a we have two blueberry Prounce in the garden and how to pronounced the word. Nobody's blueberry.
Speaker 3: It's in Blueberry. I said, this movie is insane. I love it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Holly, Holly's accent definitely goes in and out. I noticed that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, oh wait, oh yeah.
Speaker 1: Oh wait. And Luke JP was in Twelve Rounds, guys, so we have a he's any JP, he's from He's in twelve Rounds. So he's a Renny Renny, a veteran and that I just want to get that out there. And it's between between Blueberry, between Blueberry and the fact that her character had never seen Scooby Doo.
Speaker 2: Yes, okay, okay, that's that doesn't make her not English. We have Scooby do in this country. Everyone knows who Velma is that frustrated to meet and no end, I don't care where you're from. You have heard of Velma?
Speaker 3: What is just by os Moses, exactly, just by us Moses. Someone around you has mentioned Velma somehow my like and.
Speaker 2: She's of the age. This isn't like a generational thing. Been Scooby Do so like he's always been on but like my wife has, she works with someone who won't watch anything in standard definition because it's fuzzy, so like she's never seen Friends because which I even see his friends whatever, but she won't watch Friends because it's fuzzy, not for any other reason, just because it's blurry. She can't watch it. So you watch anything in standard definition? Wait, wait a broken mark. She's like early twenties, so she was born like around two thousand.
Speaker 1: It's blur.
Speaker 2: There you got anything blurry? Yeah, so she's oh she knows is HD like before blu ray happen not going on nothing, so yeah, but she probably.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Thelma's big now right then Mandy Kaling has many king Yeah, I guess this has happened before that, but yeah that joke well.
Speaker 3: And also she would be dead so she wouldn't have seen it.
Speaker 1: Yeah that's true, Holly. And then she I love the truth, like okay. One thing that always bothers me with horror cinema is like when people do the lying, Like when so they find the radiation, they find the door, they know they're there, and like, what's not tell anybody? And then a giant avalanche lands on them and kills them all like just like something. I kind of like this some of the hikers though, because we need to leave, like we got to get out of here, like, let's go. Andy says, let's go. I think even Jensen's like, let's get the hell out of here.
Speaker 2: It's everybody apart from basically.
Speaker 1: Yeah, He's just like, no, we gotta stay. I gotta get my story, and they're like, no, we can hike back, you know, a couple hours and then come back during the day and we can get footage and no one will know the difference. No, I need it, and then everyone dies. So it's it's always kind of that problem of I guess you need decisions to fuel everyone dying, because like I think, rational people a lot of times probably wouldn't die in horror movies. But yeah, it's definitely Holly becomes sort of the I need. But she's also in college. They flew all the way out there, and it's very important to her.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like this is this is part of her course, is part of her like degree, Like if they leave, is she going to get a grade she needs to? Like she wants to go into film school, doesn't.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 1: Listen, guys, if I was a teacher and my students got a grant to go to Northern Russia, to film what happened at the you know, the Devil's pass, I just give him an a. I don't even if I didn't see the footage, I'll be like, these college.
Speaker 2: Kids should become you should become a producers.
Speaker 3: The most driven people on earth. Exactly.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they got work view, they got flights, they got a grant, they got cameras, they had a crew. Like, they made it there, they made it to that spot. That's oba, it's fine, it's cool.
Speaker 3: Like, however, what you what you all have forgotten is Chekhov's nightmare. That she's had this dream since she was a kid, drawn and so she's been drawn to this place. Something is making her have night terrors where she sees the door in the cave. She has the door in the cave, and so that's really the driving force, not even so much the story. The story, like you said, it's just a way for her to be a go getter and a person who is always trying to do things to fill out her college resume. So she doesn't have time to watch Scooby Doo. For Christ's sake, She's got to research what happened to the nine Russians because it ties to her origin story as.
Speaker 2: An X men, so that that nightmare, my guess will be that comes from there's like her consciousness exists in two places at this time, like she's alive here and there, so there's some kind of intertwining. It's it's Karen Gillen and what kind.
Speaker 1: Of thing of my name?
Speaker 2: Uh quote quote Nova Nova, Nora, normal, no Taurus.
Speaker 1: And I'm playing adventures in Doctor Gillen.
Speaker 2: Nebula the brains run out of my ears. Yeah, it's like Nebular Adventures endgame with there's two nebulas and they can see she gets them.
Speaker 1: It's that.
Speaker 3: What's doctor Manette who lives every time? At the same time?
Speaker 2: This is my second podcast today, I'm speaking.
Speaker 1: Terror form and guys. And also it's I don't know how you do it? Well, you know, I guess you record it like nine am. It was the time with me seven a m. Recordings. Are I need more coffee? That's for sure. This is this is a very international episodes today. We're three different continents and many different time zones.
Speaker 3: I have been drinking since July third, ladies and gentlemen, in July fourteen. I don't know what to tell you, but.
Speaker 1: You know, what this is one of Rennie's highest rated films. This is a fifty percent Unrotten Tomatoes, but I think it's a very fifty percent movie. Like I yes, he went out and did it like this is this is I think this is a lot better than a lot of other found footage films that I've watched, and found footage movies I don't think are traditionally that well rated, Like I love as above, so below, but it's rotten like there's a lot of them that don't have the highest scores. But I think I think this one's just when you look at it in context of what it is, like, I think it's fun, like it's a good one. It's it's actually his highest rated movie. Yeah, it's his highest rated film of Wow. Well, No Bodies Arrest as a eighty three percent, but it's the second highest since like ninety nine, which is kind of crazy. No, it's rank number three, So it's it's Bodies at Rest eighty three percent, Deep Blue Ce's sixty percent, and then Devil's Past fifty percent, So it's it's actually one of his highest rated movies. Clarifyinger no since ninety nine, since ninety nine, Okay, if we're adding those into it, then let's see one. Okay, okay, okay, yeah, yeah, so then it's like it's number seven, it's the seven highest rated. It's a seventh best rated film, which.
Speaker 2: It doesn't say a lot for his post ninety nine work.
Speaker 3: I would say, but you.
Speaker 2: Know what, there, yeah, there's some there's some films in there that should be rated below this.
Speaker 1: I guess this one's fun because it listen, this is the era when people were like the paranormal activity hit big in what two thousand and nine, twenty ten, So then this one probably got this one probably got greenlit, and then you know, Renny definitely follows the trends. I mean, they hired him to make Legends of Hercules because they wanted to beat Hercules to theaters, and you know, Five Days of War. They're like, hey, we need you go make a movie about the war in Georgia. You know, like twelve Rounds. I think is very much so well, that's like a it's very much like a Diehard with a Vengeance knockoff. Like they follow trends with him, I think.
Speaker 2: So it's what what I find interesting is Rainnie being the worst person to ask to make a found footage film. I like him, he's great. I think he did a good job with it. But the real benefit of a found footage film is they're really cheap to make, and Rennie doesn't have a reputation for making things on a really low budget, like Paranormativity was made for twenty seven p Oh no, it's nothing like. It's like I had a blame Wich put it, which is like, hey, three guys in the woods, off you go have fun, have a tenth Maybe we're gonna take it away at someone when the rentals up. But he managed to make a found footage film. But I couldn't find a budget for this. But I'm guessing more expensive than most other found footage films because he tried to make an avalanche.
Speaker 1: In the cameras they brought out there, like they had some huge cameras that they just they shot a lot on sticks. They couldn't do any dollies, but they're like big camera gear. And then you watch it behind the scenes footage and they have snowcats and and snowmobiles and and but you know what, though maybe he said they didn't shoot much, they just rehearsed a lot so well.
Speaker 2: I looked into that because they didn't want to once you walk in the snow, you've walked in the snow, you can't you can't film it again because you've just walked in the snow. So they would rehearse a bit. They would shoot most things once but with a lot of research, a lot of rehearsal, and and so they'd be like making these yetty footprints, but like having big molded feet on a long pole so that reach out and push the pole in. And they'd called north big areas like don't go over here, could be going to film here, but rehearse over here, which you know it's don't I've never ready thought about that. I figured you can just shoot things again and again and again, but not in the snow, not when it's supposed to be there's crystal clear, virgin, pure white snow. Uh No, that's a good point. And they realized that before they filmed it, or they filmed one and like, oh bollocks, we gotta wait for the snow again. Let's not do this again.
Speaker 1: That could be a good Just why are these prints here already? Someone's here already. They were just too filmed it. They were just too lazy to take them off, like you know, when it's funny in Stargate, they hired crews to go like go over the sand every time somebody walked over it. But you can't really do that, you know, in Northern Russia on a giant SnowCat or something that would just create a lot more so, I mean it makes sense.
Speaker 2: Apparently there were times when they'd like film, they'd pack up for the day and they'll be like heading back to the hotel, and then Rennie would like, see this new beautiful vista and he'd be like, stop, stop, stop trekking shot. Unpack all the gear, everyone, get back to it. I want to film all of the actors heading it off over the horizon. And they just add another like three hours to the day.
Speaker 1: So he went full Terrence Malick on this one.
Speaker 2: I think, sir, yeah, they used but he just did be heading home. Ah, that's a cool shot. Let's do that now, let's go, and everyone be like I just wanted some haring. I don't want to go back to my potatoes, and I have been I have a good enough shoe.
Speaker 3: You see that that's a leader, that's what that's what I've been trying to interject the whole time. You say, yeah, found footage movies are cheap. CEGI is not that great in this movie when we get to show Hitchman, it's not that great. Right, So where did the money go? As of today, the retail price range in British pounds sterling for herring is between two pound thirty sevenpence and four pound thirty seven pence per kilo. Okay, herring is pricey, man, Yeah, all right, you're inspiring vodka.
Speaker 2: If it's yeah, sure, yeah, I didn't know where you were going with that.
Speaker 1: I just I want to see behind the scenes where everyone's just eating hairing like you just everyone is just munching on haring, just constantly.
Speaker 2: Salty Broke.
Speaker 3: It's it's a salty tasting fish, man. So you gotta bang out the vodka with it. You gotta bang out the vodka with it and have the potatoes as the palate cleanser. So this is where your money goes. You know, you're not You're not just getting some Idaho potatoes. You're in Russia. Bro that's loamy soil. You're getting solid potatoes out there.
Speaker 1: Man're not gonna be cheap line producers looking at the budget, like THEFX budget six bucks, hairy midget three million, three million? What were they doing out there?
Speaker 2: So the VFX there isn't that that. The creatures at the end are the EFFX. They did initially shoot that. They got some like contortionists and and like shot that, but it just didn't look great, so they did they painted the VFX over them, so that would have raised the budget a little bit.
Speaker 3: It's so janky. That Spanish movie with the zombies record R E C D VHS. That was a person.
Speaker 1: Mm hmmm.
Speaker 3: That is the creepiest looking thing with the night vision camera. It's so spooky. Man, It's just a very tall, creepy human. It would have been so much scarier with a real, lanky, freakish human being.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean that this felt like playing a Resident Evil game at that last second where it's like so first person, You've got like one beam of torch like this kind of shooting around the screen, and then you've got these creatures that are like glitching from like one chord to the other. Basically, it felt so much like playing Side and Hills something just it's it's a perfect video game recreation.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Polly is really strong because she wings a cherry at one of them, Like she throws a good twenty feet and explodes against the.
Speaker 3: Yeah, launches that hip, just yeats it across the room.
Speaker 1: You know, one of the things fuses with the chair and then like it's just a chair monster running around.
Speaker 3: It's got ted limbs.
Speaker 1: The Yeah, they could have just gotten Doug Jones out there chase him around. That'd be interesting if Holly recognized Holly, because Holly.
Speaker 2: Recognized Dug shirts, Hey you're in Punslev.
Speaker 1: But like Holly was in there, correct, Holly was one of those.
Speaker 2: Yes, yeah, Holley and Jensen with the two great that is Holly and Jensen correct spoiler.
Speaker 1: They could have looked at him and like hmm or wait a minute, yeah right, yeah, yeah, definitely and the way the people that do that, because we see how to wait wait a minute, it's here right right.
Speaker 3: And the things, the things in your face, and it's not standard still, it's glitching, it's teleporting, it's doing you know, buy a weapon noise at you. You don't have time to oh, hey that's too yeah that's true. And then and then the bone structure, you know, they're really emaciated for some reason because they're messed up, you know, fifty years of being freeze dried in the in the ural mountains on top of going through temporal radiation space time.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so they're just radiated jerky.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they went they went through an incident. They've been the incident. They've been incidented.
Speaker 3: Yeah, incident, they've been incidentalized.
Speaker 1: That looks like me, but it looks it looks a lot more like jerky than I do. That's hens a bit. Yeah, and then what so then eventually they just shut down the program? Did they kill everyone in there? Like?
Speaker 3: What? Like? What like?
Speaker 1: What happened?
Speaker 2: I guess it is if they found out this isn't working. This is this is problematic. We're trying things and we're getting monsters. We should we don't want monsters, degenerating mutes stuff. Let's stop with the monsters.
Speaker 3: We want we want to we want to teleport a nuclear bomb into Washington, d C. We keep getting any humanoids.
Speaker 1: Just attacking the populace.
Speaker 2: Not only are we not teleporting bombs, we're getting more problems. That's no something else. We tried this, Yeah, glad you came to an idea. We tried it. Great, didn't work back to the drawerboard someone else exactly.
Speaker 3: Jay and Mark have created a teleportation portal. Awesome, it only teleports things back into the left. Not aw you know what I mean? That's right? Did they come out sideways and insane? You know?
Speaker 2: So you know, stop doing stop it.
Speaker 3: You also we get we get the fact that Russian author Yuri Yaavoy was killed in a car accident on an empty road. You know, so what did happen to them? Seems like we're just going back in the ussr R. We're just getting our communists stereotype on. They killed everybody, the government they like, wipe them out because because we're un Yeah.
Speaker 2: I mean, if we've established it, if people found out this thing like time travel, great mutants, people would try and use it. So maybe the best solution for the greater good is hide it away, don't let people near it. I'm not saying they should cause car crashes and avalanches, but I'm saying do what you can to stop people getting there.
Speaker 3: That feels like from the outside.
Speaker 2: From as soon as I found out, I was like, hell, yes, there is something else looking forward to where this is going.
Speaker 3: Something in the inside. Yeah, something horrific.
Speaker 2: In this the first reactually opened the door.
Speaker 1: What are you doing? Ever opened the door.
Speaker 3: Insteader dreams, man, she has to see what's inside, even though it locks from the outside. And then their escape plan to run for the bullets is to go inside, and they're like block the door, and he has to reminder from the outside.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we're just gonna wait, We're just gonna die in here of what hypotherbia and thirst starvation.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it does make sense to look to like head into the bunker when you're being shot at. There's not a lot there's not a lot of other options. But then you remember, oh, yeah, now the people with the lock aren't here with us.
Speaker 3: Yeah we've seen YETI feet and a ripped out tongue. So going into basically where the YEI are? I don't know, bro, shoot me, I don't know.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, that I mean of the fates, that is the better one rather than what well I've been saying that maybe Holly and Jensen having a great time.
Speaker 1: Happened aliens.
Speaker 2: Yeah, maybe they're really enjoying like teleporting around the blaze night quartering into people and just inable who can say.
Speaker 3: The implication is because we get the ancient drawings of those who walk before us on the wall, that this is probably where the Yeti do come from, actually, because the ancient drawings from the people on the wall showed it. They have been here, and some of those drums on the wall had freaky looking dudes or things, if you will, and so giant humanoid footprints, that's always what they say. Yeah, that's the sign of the Yeti. And so even before these two unfortunates became inhumanoids, they probably were those that walked among us. That's I think another implication.
Speaker 1: Of this movie, because that thing's been around, presumably for a while forever.
Speaker 3: There's no buttons, there's no controls. You just think of where you want to go, and it always puts you right outside as an inhumanoid.
Speaker 1: Jerky yeh, I'd be so pissed in my dreams. It's like my entire life where dreams are like, hey, you gotta go out to northern Russia and do this, and I end out there. I'm like, I got to pursue my dreams and then I become just a humanoid who could teleports.
Speaker 2: You have the dragons to go out there, You go out there, and then you sleep that night and the dream you have is like a sucker. Gotcha, he just wasted twenty five years.
Speaker 1: Victoram West, the person who wrote this, they they got their start in reality, so they did the real world the challenge and keeping up with the Kardashians. So I wonder, like that's a lot of I wonder if Found footage was a natural segue for the person because they're just so used to that setup. So they just wrote it like that because Rennie found the script of that. So I just I don't know, I find that interesting. So they they worked in reality and then wrote The Devil's Paw or the Dyat Love Incident.
Speaker 2: I've never considered that The Kardashians is found footage. Well like reality, maybe I like it move man fe. I don't know, I've never watched it.
Speaker 3: Well, we've established that these are attractive people and he sends them to horrific deaths. So all the years of working with these attractive people on these reality shows, this is what they were thinking time. I wish these people would die brutally, all of them. And so I'm going to make this movie that I get to just put all my feelings out on film. And The Blonde is going to get it the worst.
Speaker 1: I mean, yeah, that makes sense, but it's I have a question guys, like I think sometimes the best found footage films are just the best horror movies in general. Keep things really simple. This one gets quite convoluted. Is there like a simpler way to tell this story or do you think it works as is?
Speaker 2: I think that the whole like time loop aspect of it, is always going to make things complicated. Yeah, there's no hm hmm, it either be. It's either going to be complicated or unsatisfying. So like ground Took Day, they Averredy explained the time. It's just there's a time ate. But and then there's no if you plug that into a horror film, it's probably gonna be less satisfying. I think we're gonna go there and find what the secret is, and we're not going to tell you what it is. It's a time that would be like, oh, I'm satisfying. So yeah, I think there's always gonna be a degree of complexity to it.
Speaker 3: If if you take the time loop out and you just make it a cave where your wishes are going to come true. But it's the Monkey's Paul cave of wishes. Coming true, and you know, there's no place like home, and we're back outside and now we're jerky monsters. So it's not necessarily time loop. It's just, yeah, you are trapped in the cave and you have to use this way out and you're in humanoids the evil that lies within? Yeah, can you tell?
Speaker 2: That wouldn't explain the original incident, but then wouldn't necessarily need to be explained, because the whole point is it's an explained phenomena in the real world, so they could remain that way. This this tries to explain it with a real, like a real out there idea of hey, there's't ipeo that I had, maybe they would be maybe it was this thing. Maybe it was teleporting college kids from fifty years after they died. No one's thought about that before, haven'ty.
Speaker 3: No, And that's that's the way a lot of Twilight Zone and those anthology horror series used to work. Uh, you know, you go into this room and there's a toilet, and when you flush the toilet, suddenly you're transported to the land and make believe why episodes over it wasn't that creepy.
Speaker 1: Don't touch the toilet, that's the way things work, don't flush well, don't be cheap, and then they press it. Then it's like like, oh no.
Speaker 3: There it is there, It is there. It is the greatest scene in creep Show the movie the roaches take over that dude's stareile apartment. Why because it was a jerk. You know, if that came out today, the roaches would have had an origin story. They were made in a lab and one day one of the roaches saw his wife killed by a scientist code man, and so now he just hates sterility and cream show was just like, this guy's a jerk, probably a racist. We're gonna fill his apartment with roaches until they kill him.
Speaker 1: You got a problem with that, You're right though. That show is just basically like this, this person's horrible. Let's have something terrible happened to them.
Speaker 3: Something's going to murder them, something mundane is gonna kill them badly, and you're gonna root for it. Soul, he was dying of cancer and then he wasn't. It was weird saw.
Speaker 1: Well, you know, but I like this movie now though, despite the middle part where Jensen is just complaining about women and trail hookups.
Speaker 2: Yeah, how dead these other people have, like have relationships. There's one more man than women here, and everyone's looking up with me.
Speaker 3: Ah yeah, but there's always I've laid out the fact that the only thing I find sexually attractive is this camera, and I'm wondering why I can't get laid. God damn it.
Speaker 2: I guess there's two attractive women like the two attractive men. I don't understand. Yeah, Mark, you and I having a breat discussion on Facebook as to like what have happened in Deep Bluz if it was a found footage film? And I really like that concept. Yeah, I've been thinking. I've been thinking about it.
Speaker 1: What do you got?
Speaker 2: Well, I mean it's the found fuish aspect. You're mainly going to have his Preacher with the camera. That's where this comes from, because he's already has that found footage thing, but he doesn't get that until Janis's Room, like two thirds of the way through the film. So that needs to just happen earlier. He needs to have a camera earlier, and all of the Preacher stuff is like him torn the camera, Foanfate and everything else is like CCTV. So you can have him like filming the Susan's birthday party, like, hey, we're all crouched down with like poking the camera out watching her come out of the thing, and it's surprise and everything else is like CCTV. But then when like those from his flood, you lose that CCTV and it's just preaching with the camera. I think, I don't think it would be as good. I think why it's preaching filming whilst he's in the oven hacking his way out that needs he needs to stop filming at this point, this is like, yes, your bird, you should be breathed. So maybe he's like dropped the camera, dropped the camera and it's still filming him floating on a little table in the kitchen.
Speaker 1: I don't know. Maybe it's like a lawsuit later on, like I'm gonna sue these people and this is proof, Yeah, because he survives.
Speaker 2: I need to sue. I need to sue cameraror.
Speaker 1: All of the like.
Speaker 2: When Susan goes down for the data, he's like, can you also like get the CCTV records please? And that's still somehow suffice.
Speaker 3: I have the solution. I have the solution. Everybody is not It's not just it's the CCTV because I thought of that too, but everybody is constantly wearing a body can it's not because it's not only an experiment for the sharks. It's a long term project that look, how long we have humans living under the sea and we monitor everything that they do and we're checking their stats and their mental capacity blah blah blah blah blah, and eventually this is just step one to us going to the moon and into Mars. So that explains a camera and they don't.
Speaker 2: Can we have one on a shark?
Speaker 3: Yeah? Absolutely, these days we use this.
Speaker 2: We use this like at outside of drug in the sharks. We need to be monitoring this. That's as well, what are lay up to? Maybe they're doing more intelligent stuff now they got that down there playing jackers. You know who knows a.
Speaker 3: Quick exposition explains right there? Uposition, you know what.
Speaker 1: They already have the cameras too. Maybe the sharks don't take out the cameras and those cameras stay up as well, like when the sharks take out the cameras.
Speaker 2: Maybe the sharks don't take out the cameras. The sharks take the cameras. They are all cameras now.
Speaker 1: Like the like the the one of the sharks, I was wearing like a backwards hat, like all the camera men in the screen movies and Screen one and two, like like, I don't know why have a camera even in both finger the camera people have backward hats, Like I think.
Speaker 2: That's because the cameras in your face and the brain would get in the way. I guess the shots are like, we're gonna the shots are gonna sue you for doing testing on us. We need proof, we're gonna start filming you. This is it's not evidence for the sharks. Cool case.
Speaker 1: Then the sequels just the the John Grisham tight novel, but with the sharks and the humans.
Speaker 3: Yeah, man, and the the sharks that that they secretly made with Shark Intercourse just have the cameras built into them now because the Alzheimer's drug was so powerful. So now you know the sharks are playing majong somehow, and the sharks are creating new forms of experimental jazz fusion.
Speaker 1: In a cave.
Speaker 3: They're smart.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that Paul camera camera all jazz.
Speaker 3: Featuring Richard link Letter techniques and Shark.
Speaker 1: Could and Ryan Goslin's this lecturing the sharks love jazz fusion. Yeah, got it all.
Speaker 2: Yeah, let's let's stop working on this one and.
Speaker 3: Get a grant. J get a grant, Go, get a grant for this.
Speaker 2: Okay, fuming in Russia.
Speaker 1: We're gonna eat. Well, we're not. I don't know if I can budget haring into this.
Speaker 3: It's pretty goddamn expense.
Speaker 1: My mom made a lot of pickled harrying because that's what Swedish people do. Like, there's always pickled harrying around my house. It's not bad, but I think everyone.
Speaker 3: You're also massive Hofmeyer, so clearly it worked. You're a massive human being.
Speaker 1: Thanks mom.
Speaker 3: All the pickled harry protein protein.
Speaker 1: And the good thing is about the vodka is the potatoes could make more vodka if you run out a vodka. Mm hm. So I mean it was a smart plan by Rennie.
Speaker 2: Like I just made herrying flavored vodka and got all three of the food groups in one.
Speaker 3: Oh god, I'm gonna puke right now.
Speaker 1: I mean, if you think of all the other flavors, like, there's pretty much been every type of vodka, so why not harring.
Speaker 2: You know, I don't think some people like doing herring. It's a thing there.
Speaker 3: Herring, Yeah, cured, it's got to come from a plant because of the defermentation. Yeah, you don't drink the juice of fermented animals too.
Speaker 2: Vodka and herring bars. I'm hoping that's somewhere you go to eat, but eat and it's not like a cereal protein bar. Maybe herring.
Speaker 3: Why do you guys want to kill me?
Speaker 2: What I mean?
Speaker 1: It saves time, Like you're just on set and you're like, man, I need some vodka and I need some herring. And then it's the finish thing, chriss bread with herring, mustard and vodka.
Speaker 2: Rennie was fine with this. He loved it. He chose this everyone else had, like McDonald's every night. He picks this.
Speaker 1: That'd be funny. He goes and makes a movie in the desert. He's like, man alli ate where potatoes the finlandy of vodka and pickled harry and like wait what and then you learn how much it costs? Is all there?
Speaker 2: There is someone who's made pickled herring whiskey. That that is an a fish key is the company that makes pickled harring whiskey? Of course it's fish.
Speaker 1: Jesus the must Yeah, I had sheep dung smoked whiskey. So whiskey smoked with sheep dung in.
Speaker 2: Iceland, single malte, barrel age whiskey infused with pickled herring pass. Yeah, agreed. I don't like either of those things.
Speaker 1: I don't mind. I don't want harring. I don't like whiskey. I would do I would do it.
Speaker 2: Fresh cut grass vodka. Interesting interest this website. I'm not gonna I'm not gonna buy things from here.
Speaker 3: Closing tap art bag is a very It's a good p It's a good pie, single ball, So that grass might be good.
Speaker 2: I'll never know.
Speaker 1: I love Eyela Scotch. It's delicious. Log of Woolen art bag Lafroy.
Speaker 2: So, how is devils passed? Like Deep Blue C I have a list directed by Ronnie Hardin characters talking to the camera. There's a story of a mountain tragedy. They applied for research money. It's all deep is. Jensen gave me Scoggins vibes anytimes a whiny character and I gets Scoggins vibes. Basically, we see a character pee it's a dog. But we see in peach, doesn't we do with Jim? There's a bartender serving drinks. There's someone's cooking, Houser's cooking. They're eating processed food at one point, lthough Preacher doesn't eat the process food. It's all about an ill advised research expedition. There's doors with wheel locks on them and they're searching for data. There's a flare. They're trapped below the surface trying to get out. There's sparking.
Speaker 8: I can't rid my right thing right there, subterranean research lab, World War two aquatic equipment is reference to the Philadelphia incident, and they find a dead body at one point.
Speaker 2: That's how it's deep. A bunch of stuff. I don't know nothing terribly incredible about how deep blue? And because of season six of the podcast How C is this film so not. But as I'm sure you know, Deep C is on average fourteen and a half meters deep or forty seven and a half feet deep, and about thirty one percent blue. I've done this by going through the film and working out how deep and how blue the action takes place on the in the films. Do you think the action within Devil's Past is on average deeper, bluer and more at sea than in Deep Blue C.
Speaker 3: Well, we're pretty high up in the mountains, and so if you reverse deep and you make it high, we're pretty damn deep because that mountain's pretty high, pretty high.
Speaker 1: The opposite thing that's deep.
Speaker 3: Yes see how deep that was?
Speaker 1: Sure was?
Speaker 2: What about what about blueness? How blue do you think this film is?
Speaker 3: So we got the weird lights of the northern lights. Not really blue, very.
Speaker 1: Great blue, a little blue, you know.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but you know we need blue and green to make yellow, so that's not blue at all. But the monsters had the monsters had kind of a blueishue when they were in the regular light. So you get your blue there.
Speaker 2: Sure, Okay, I don't even lost that sea because this is entirely set.
Speaker 3: On land, so frozen water, frozen water.
Speaker 1: Sure.
Speaker 2: So this is, as you said, quite high up. As a rule, I do take it if they go underground. This is like the cent rules. So they go underground. I count that as deep, but only like a little bit. It's like a couple of stories deep. This works out on average one hundred and twenty four and a half meters of four hundred and eight feet up in the air, which means it is uh somehow slightly it's next to open Water. Yeah, that film takes place entirely on the sez of the water. That's one of our higher films because there's a few shots in a plane, So that's it's higher than open Water, less high than Ronny Harland's Skip Trace, which also has some plain scenes. Said, there's our ninety nine deepest film, rest deep film. Blueness three point three percent blue, not blue at all. As you know, Holly's wearing a blue jumper. That's about it. So this is bluer than another found footage film, Lake Mungo, less blue than Under Siege. Still not Renny's least blue film. In fact, he has he has eight films less blue than this, and it was three percent. He's not a blue filmmaker generally. And yet zero percent at sea because it's not it's never at sea something we're doing now on this show, because why not?
Speaker 3: But that?
Speaker 2: Did you have any other thoughts on Devil's Past? I've got to ask any other that we cover everything.
Speaker 1: I'm good, Mark, No, this was this was fun. This kind of like I'm bringing Norbert in was great.
Speaker 3: Ah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I just don't say ah in footage films, that's it.
Speaker 2: That's all I got if you're gonna edit the footage together, edit the alms out.
Speaker 1: Why not.
Speaker 3: If you ever get the chance to go to Northern Russia, make sure you get a Samago blaming shot, because flaming drinks are always cool drinks.
Speaker 2: Sure, I was one of the guys had a mustache. I think the Barton had a mustache and its flaming drink and I was like please. I was thrilled that he blew it out before taking the shot. I was very concerned about his spatial so I'm glad that didn't happen anyway. No, but do you have anything you want to plug? Where on the listeners? Find you online?
Speaker 3: Norbert is Eddie Kane at Eddie Kane on Twitter and No more Man on South Clad.
Speaker 2: Cool great mark any plugs?
Speaker 1: Yeah, listened to any given Sunday episode that Norbert and I just dropped that that will be on Movies on the Flicks. And then also listen to the Twisters episode that Jay and I released, because that's a good time. Nice.
Speaker 2: Yeah, listened to Twist. I listened to You and Nick talking about Kitchen Fights mission of Star Kitchen Fights as a new series starting, So I recommend listeners check that out as well.
Speaker 1: Sorry about the audio on that one. That's a headline.
Speaker 2: It was I listened to it whilst mowing the lawn, so I had this other like going on the background, so it was it worked out fun.
Speaker 1: I had what Zoom updated, and then for some reason, halfway through an episode, I'm like, wait, maybe I should check the settings, and then I was like, oh, I'm recording on my computer MIC, and so I fixed it.
Speaker 2: It's always fun what happens. Well, I think it sounded great regardless it is. You're looking forward to listen to you and Nick to the mission star ratings for more kitchen fight scenes to it and listen as you can find this podcast whatever social media at Deep Blue Sea Pod. You can find very little of what I've done at Life versus Film dot com. And next week is It's finally happening. Next week is Sharknado. We said it would never happen, but here we go. We're going to set off on a quest, a very protractive, potentially cut short who knows quest to tackle as many Sharknado films as I want.
Speaker 1: To go through.
Speaker 2: As we go, we'll see. It's an ongoing process. But next week is the first Sharknado. So come back next week for that great so that will do it for the devil's past past incident. Thank you once again to our guest Nor but Movin.
Speaker 3: Thanks buddy, I've been Jake Lewet now Mark Athmeyer, and we'll.
Speaker 2: Zep bluesy you next week.
Speaker 3: The