Speaker 1: Seven nine day. Now here's Nick Coffee.
Speaker 2: All right, don't forget, we've got you covered. Game day. On Saturday, Louisville and pitt kickoff at four o'clock, which means we will get our pregame show started at three. The Louisville Football Pregame Show is presented by Pillow, Windows and Doors of Central Kentucky and Jefferson Animal Hospital. And then whatever happens, which I don't know what the hell's gonna happen, but we'll react to it. That's what I do know. We'll do that on the Louisville Football postgame Show, presented by Alex R. White, Alex R. Whitelawyer's so Distracted driver dot com. All right, let's bring him in, mister Kent Spencer from Whas eleven joins us here, Kent. I think, regardless of how you watched the Louisville Stanford game, whether you're a Stanford fan, a Louisville fan, a casual observer, there's no way if anybody was watching the last ten minutes they really felt like Louisville was gonna lose that way. But they did just kind of walk me through your reaction of kind of seeing uh an implosion that really, I mean, it takes a skill, I think to be able to lose in that way.
Speaker 3: Well, I want to I want to tell you the story of how it all went down for me. Okay, So Saturday night, I start watching the game at the house, but my wife and daughters are going to go to a play that night.
Speaker 4: So me and the seven year old boy, we got us.
Speaker 3: We got ourselves a guys night and I got us, I got us a day plan. So I think I watched the first half at the house, and then at halftime, we drive and we go to Gusses for dinner and they've got the game on there, so we're watching.
Speaker 4: We're watching the second half. We're while we're having dinner. Then we leave and then I take my man to main event. We're going to have ourselves a.
Speaker 3: Night walk in. First thing we go, it's laser tag. Let's let's let's get you in some late tag.
Speaker 2: Buddy.
Speaker 3: I don't think he's ever done it before, Like, let's go play some laser tag.
Speaker 4: And so we go into laser Tag. Louis's up seven.
Speaker 3: They were up fourteen, now they're up seven.
Speaker 4: A few minutes to go.
Speaker 3: Whatever I go into laser Tag, we come out of laser Tag. Stamford is celebrating on the field after the walk off field goal. You can imagine my shock in all of this, what in the world happened? And then obviously I watched the replay, but it was that quick. It literally took a game of laser Tag to go from up seven to a walk off field goal.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I mean, if you consider the timeline, I mean, I swear, I mean, you would think, how in Okay, how did what happened? What transpired where they could win the game in this fashion with the last second field goal. And again, you know, it makes sense if you watched it, but it'd be hard for anybody to believe it until you actually saw it with your own eyes. So uh, you know, I thought Jeff Brown, as far as the things that he said on on Monday at the press conference, you know, it was pretty typical of what we get from him each week. But you know, I felt like you could just tell, I mean, that's probably a loss that might be up there. Maybe it is the worst loss he's probably ever experienced as a coach. I may none of them are good, but again, I'm still days later and disbelieve how that happened. It seemed as if the things that have held this team back at times this year, they all kind of reappeared in that second half and worse than ever.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And I mean, look, I think it truly comes down to this. And I don't know what I've been in these you know, I've been in moments before and I've never lost my head like this. But how in the world And it doesn't even seem like it was it was a violent play or anything like that.
Speaker 4: Like, how in the world do you tackle a kid out of.
Speaker 3: Bounds, hold his leg and you continue to hold the leg and then you just get up and pushy, Like what in the world makes you think that's a good idea?
Speaker 2: How can that even I mean, even if you want to do it, How could it happen to where you can claim you're surprised when you get clearly a penalty that's gonna put your team in tough in such a tough spot. Like you know, they don't practice like you've played, you played football, I'd never have you played in college? How can what is the root of a team being undisciplined? Because you know the coaches are out there coaching these guys to make these kind of mistakes, and you know, when they make those mistakes, they clearly emphasize you got to clean it up. But like sometimes teams just can't get right, and if there was one way to fix it, snap your fingers, then you know, obviously coaches would do that. But it's just I've never seen a team like Louisville just at times. It's again, I think their mistakes, clearly they make more than most, but they're not like the most penalized team in the country. But you could argue that some of the mistakes they make that that are undisciplined. I think they come at the worst possible times.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and I think Nick Saban said it best, and he's probably not the only one who's ever said it. You know, penalties like that are selfish penalties. Like when you do something like that, like you just being selfish. You're just thinking about yourself, like either I need to prove a point to this guy or this or this, Like you're not thinking about anything else. You're just thinking about you, And that's a self that Those are selfish penalties, and that's what we saw on Saturday night. Now, look, I get you know, the it was terrible timing for Quincy Riley to jump off sides, but he's at least trying to make a you know, like in that movement, you're trying to make a play.
Speaker 4: You got to be smarter than that.
Speaker 2: It's still something you can't do, but it's it's understandable that it happened. I mean, it's a mistake, but yeah, it happens.
Speaker 4: But see, like the thing about it is is like where they were and.
Speaker 3: Extra five yards doesn't kill him. The extra fifteen is the one that gave him a chance to even think about.
Speaker 4: A field goal.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like that's what it the scenario to where you get there with them kicking that field goal. I mean again, all right, we got one penalty, but that didn't moveing up enough. Let's and again, I don't even to make the joke that they were trying to do it, because that's insane. But I'm telling you, man, if there was, if there was a certain way to make it happen the way it did at the end, I think Louisville would have fought. I mean you could convince the Louisville followed that script, you know to a te so ten games in I youan know you are who you are. I mean, I could I think Louisville could come out and you know, play well enough to be Pittsburgh. I could also see him coming out being in a tight game because of mistakes and maybe they come up short. I mean, it's tough to know what we're gonna get here, but I mean, any any any guesses. I mean, I guess I'll ask you to predict the future here because I could see it being a lot of different results on Saturday, and I have no clue which one it's going to be.
Speaker 3: I think sometimes I think, you know, as crazy as this sounds, to be honest with you, Nick, like I think whatever you're feeling that week, it feels like they do the opposite that Saturday. Like nobody's really feeling good about the outlook of the season at this point in time and so and I think that was almost like the same feeling with the Clemson game coming up a couple of weeks ago, and they ended up playing really well that week. You know, It's almost like the ebbs and flows of a season. Like I think people were feeling a lot better about, you know, going into that SMU game that didn't go so well, even maybe the you know, like the Miami game.
Speaker 4: And by the way, those are two pretty good teams. But uh, you know, like the Clemson game.
Speaker 3: Like I said, and you know, I remember you asked me on the show, how shocked would you be if they won down in Death Valley? And I think I said eight, just because it was at night. Nobody ever really wins down there all this stuff, And I mean like they handled it Clemson.
Speaker 2: So yeah, probably beating more than a score indicates.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we know, really good football is in that locker room and it's it's on that sidelines, but you just don't see it consistent enough. And that's a I think that's a problem. And so I think that they could play really really well these last two weeks, but you just never know who's.
Speaker 4: Going to show up on Saturday.
Speaker 3: But I'll say this, I mean, you know, when you have the playmakers that they have on offense, they've always got a chance.
Speaker 2: Yep, no doubt about it.
Speaker 4: All.
Speaker 2: Right, let's switch heres here to Kentucky. They had their Murray State game last week, obviously a big time win for them. Now they head to Texas and obviously the Governor's Cup just a week away, did can? I mean, is it is it possible to know if Kentucky took steps forward or backwards? I mean, I think those games, even when they're played in week one or week two, maybe week three, it's tough to know. But in week eleven, it just feels a week ten. It just feels kind of weird. And I'm sure there were plays where they look great sometimes plays where they didn't look great, but I think it's tough to know of in that game against that kind of opponent, especially that time of the year.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think they just I think they're just kind of on the same road as they were before the game. You know, I watched, you know, some of that game and and Brock Vandergriff, you know, through some really poor deep balls that to guys that were wide open, one that should have been picked was a touchdown, and one that actually was picked.
Speaker 4: And so yeah, that was pretty bad. You know, Yeah, he made.
Speaker 3: Some he made some some good throws, but you know, it's a it's against a really really bad defense. I don't think that you take too much away from that game whatsoever. You know, they're just kind of going down this this this road that they're they're traveling on where I don't think anybody thinks even though mathematically they're still in it. I don't think anybody thinks they're going to get it done at Texas on Saturday and thinks that, you know that their their bid to go to another bowl game goes up in flames in that one.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, if you are, let me just ask you to put yourself in Mark Shoes's position here, as you've you've got a really, you know, a really small percentage chance of getting to a bowl game. You kind of, you know, the season's kind of a wash cutter bowlie. You know, apparently he looked pretty good at times. I mean stoops wanting to still go with brock Deeth, I mean, would you do the same thing? And do you think it's more so because he just thinks that they are going to beat Texas. The the more experienced quarterback, even though it's not about that much, gives you a better chance. Because it wouldn't have shocked me to hear that they might they might have chose to go in a different direction this week.
Speaker 3: I would have been I honestly would have been shocked. And here's the here's the two reasons why is cutter bowllie. I I don't know what the future holds for him as far as like, I don't know how good he's gonna be. I mean, he showed definitely, he shows flashes and he throws a really good ball in the second half against against that Murray State team. But I don't know if i'd give him his first start on the road and a yeah in All Texas against the third ranked team in the country, who right.
Speaker 2: Has a real has a whole lot to play for in this game.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And then by the way, the following week, I don't know if I give him a start in the rivalry game against Louisville when you're trying to keep the governor's.
Speaker 2: Cut and he's from you know, he could be emotionally charged in that one. You know, I made a fool of myself because I just because of all these transfers typically are guys that have been on their sixth or seventh tier. I'm just assuming Vandergrift's gone after this year, and he might be, but like he's young, this is his first time starting, so yeah, that makesh make a little more since why they wouldn't make a change. I didn't even mean it to where they were going to be benching Vandr Griffin just moving on from him. But you know, maybe give somebody else a shot who you know could potentially spark the offense. But to your point, putting him in those two games back to back would be would be a tough ask.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And honestly, in those moments, like, not only is it really not fair to that kid, it's not fair to a lot of you know, your older kids who have a couple games left to go, Like, give those give those guys the best chance you have to win, because if you do open it up in the spring and you have a true quarterback competition, and then you know, you've got fall camp and then if it fully ends up, you know, being the guy going into next year. I mean, I haven't looked at their schedule right off hand, but I'm sure they probably have a couple layups to start the season with.
Speaker 2: All right, let let's let's talk basketball when it comes to Mark, actually gonna I'm gonna challenge Ken Spencer here, are you ready for a challenge for Mark Pope? I'd challenge you to tell me one thing that is not gone really good or damn near perfect for him since he got the job.
Speaker 4: Uh, yeah, I can't.
Speaker 2: It's a tough ask, isn't it.
Speaker 3: I got well, I mean, and and you could even like look at look at like recruiting. He they've done really well on the recruiting trail as far as high school high school kids.
Speaker 4: It also like, how nice was it that you.
Speaker 3: Had two kids ranked in the top twenty five from basically grew up right down the street from where your office is.
Speaker 4: Yep, And then they did it? You know.
Speaker 3: Then he then he put this team together and then everything so far in the season, and also they look so good, he says, almost like he says all the right things almost all the time, like he handles everything.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's been it's been a heck of a start for him. I mean, he's clearly gonna lose games this year and they're probably not going to win the national chap and shipped. But you know, I got to say, I think they have enough talent to you know, if they play well, they could they could probably be just about anybody. I mean, again, they're gonna have games where they're underdogs and they're gonna lose games, but you know, I kind of feel like so far, or they've had one really big test and they look really good. I don't even think they play. I mean we talked about it last week. It wasn't like you felt like they did something that they couldn't recreate again to knock off this great duke team with Cooper Flag. So you know, they're they're they're really good and I didn't expect them to be bad. But when I watched them play, I mean, not only do you feel like they have enough talent, but I'm watching basketball and this isn't really a shot at cow but it's just you know, it's the truth. I mean, you felt like you could see a lot of future talent or future NBA players on its teams. But you watch them, you think, Okay, what are they doing? What what's their strategy? This doesn't this is kind of hard to watch. This is ugly basketball, and with Pope it's the exact opposite. I mean, not only is it is it proven to be successful to play that way if you've got the pieces, but from a fan standpoint, I mean, it's it's got to be the funnest team they've watched in a long time.
Speaker 4: Well, and I.
Speaker 3: Don't know if you saw the video that the that Kentucky put out called the Journey that it was like a it was a long video going into the duke game.
Speaker 2: Yeah, where he predicted what Flag was going to do. Yeah, that was.
Speaker 4: And he did it and they got the turnover.
Speaker 3: Like you know, I think you know for a lot of Kentucky fans who had criticism of of Caliperry, like there it is right there, like that's that's just that's the visual proof of like what you may not have known or what you think and all this other stuff.
Speaker 4: You know, right there.
Speaker 3: The one one of the pushbacks Nick that I would have on on what people would say, and I would lump about Kentucky.
Speaker 4: And Louisville in this in this mix.
Speaker 3: So I've heard a lot of people and they talk about that they've talked about like the Kentucky duke game, and they go down this path and they're like, well they're older and I and I, like I.
Speaker 4: Said, I'd love Louisville in into this as well.
Speaker 3: They've got older guys who've been in the fight before, they're they're much closer to their ceiling than some of these young teams and and lay out like a duke for example, or or whatever.
Speaker 4: And I remember thinking, like.
Speaker 3: Like I understood that, like last year when you had a Purdue you know, at the beginning of the year, or remember years ago, remember when Wisconsin had the they had the back to back Final four teams, and they ran it back the next year, and it was pretty much everybody like I get that with those teams. But when you've constructed and you've got a completely new staff and you've got a completely new roster, Yes, they're older players, but these guys have never played in the systems in which they're playing in right now, and they've never.
Speaker 4: Played together before. So to say that like Kentucky.
Speaker 3: And Louisville are near their ceilings, I think it's I think that's pretty lazy in my opinion that I think both of these teams still have a long way to go to figure everything out and and get it going. Yeah, they're they're older, and their bodies more you know, mature and stuff like that, but there's a I think for both schools, like in both teams, like, I think there's a lot more lesson to take there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and the Tennessee game was you know, tough to see for for Louisville, fans, and certainly was a rough game for coach Kelsey in his second career game here at Louisville. But you know that that's when it really hit me. You know what, this isn't good, but it makes total sense. There was no scenario where they could replicate what they were going to see, not only from what Tennessee does defensively, but just like you know, in that moment, and you learn a lot about each other when you experience a variety of things like adversity, like you know, having to really you know, be tested and challenged, and there was really no way to Like again, Kentucky, they passed their test, but that was the first time those guys had ever really been challenged in any way. So yeah, that's a good point because you're right, I think you hear what Hey, these guys, you know, they're all veterans. They shouldn't have to be taught anything. But it's it's not about teaching them something. It's about gelling and developing chemistry and coaches. It's I mean, I think that's one thing Pat Kelsey would probably tell you is that he knows what he wants to do from a stylistic standpoint, but he's still learning who all works together against different looks because again, you know know until you get out there and you play different teams. So with that, I guess I'll leave this as my last question. Who do you think, from what you've seen, would be the best lineup for Pat Kelsey? Which is I think a tough ask because I think there's a lot of guys that you feel like are kind of the same level player. But if you had to put five guys on the floor for Pat Kelsea right now, get you know, with everybody healthy, I know two guys aren't. Who would who? Who do you think would give Louisville the best chance to beat a really good team?
Speaker 3: So we're gonna make sure And then you know, there's so many guys, so I'm going to make sure that I'm going to go slow on this one.
Speaker 4: You got a commercial break probably.
Speaker 3: Coming up, but definitely definitely Chucky Yepburn, Definitely Terrence Edwards Jr.
Speaker 4: I would put definitely James Scott in the game.
Speaker 2: Would you bring Prior off the bench like like Kelsey's.
Speaker 3: Doing, I don't know, If I I don't know, I would probably start Prior same here and I would so I probably have him as as four, and then I like rain Smith coming off the bench. But I do feel like like if you're if you just need five on the floor, Like I feel like him being a threat really helps you.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, he understands spacing and he's somebody that they know they have to account for. Clearly, everybody on the team is going to have the green light, but he would be the one that on the scout they're more shading him, So I would I would actually have gone with the same exact lineup. To be honest with you, Okay.
Speaker 4: Good, good good.
Speaker 3: I feel like I'm but but I was just thinking like, yeah, I mean, you could put Headley in there, but like in the stretch, in the in the in that crunch time moment, the threat of him and just kind of understanding he.
Speaker 2: Understands spacing really well.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and he's that perfect middleman on the floor. But between Kelsey and the rest of the guys.
Speaker 2: Yep, that's right because he's played for him for now seemingly six years. I think it is, So that makes sense. Can't has always appreciate the time, enjoy the conversation, enjoy your cold evening, and we'll talk to some brother good stuff.
Speaker 4: And you never know what can happen when you go into laser tag.
Speaker 2: That's right, that's right. That's a story that you'll have for a long time. Good stuff, man, take care. That's Kent Spencer whas love and laser tag sounds fun as hell Right now. I'm played laser tag in probably fifteen years. I love lasers. Actually, can I tell you something that just made me feel really old because I said, like fifteen years Like, man, that's so long ago. Fifteen years ago, I was, you know, I was a grown adult, Like I'm more like twenty twenty ish years because you know, it's probably when I was in middle school or early high school. So I'm washed fifteen years ago Earl Clark was playing here, shut your mouths. That's talk. I don't want to feel old. Yeah, me, we'll be. We'll be immature the rest of the way to feel like we're you know, not getting too old. I mean, I'm always speak it for myself. Good stuff. Alright, stick with us right here on Sports Talk seven ninety.
Speaker 1: Now back to coffee and Company, fueled by Thornton's on Sports Talk seven nine day.
Speaker 2: All right, let's hit the text line five x two six five three zero seven ninety is the number. If you want a text in on the L and N Federal Credit Union text line. Questions, complaints, compliments, insults, whatever you've got, feel free to send them our way. This text says, Nick, I'm a miserable Kentucky fan. Am I wrong for wanting them not to go to a bowl game so they can focus more on the portal than a meaningless exhibition? I mean, I would say this, if you are a coach that is not going to be going to a bowl game that would really do anything for you, then, although you still are in a situation you don't want to be in, there's no scenario if you're not going to it. If you didn't become bowl eligible, that means you were a loser. Quite literally, by definition, you didn't win enough games. You have a losing record. So that's a bad situation. There's no way around it. However, you can benefit from your bad situation by being ahead of others that are coaching in a bowl game. Now, to be fair, you're probably gonna have more time on your hands, but as far as you know, I mean, you've got more time to do it. Coaches in these bowl games coaches in the playoffs are still going to be active in the portal because you have to. I mean, you just do so. And I know they change the window and I need to look that up. We'll do that here in the next break, just because I think it's important to know, because it's gonna be crazy for everybody once the regular season comes to an end, because these meaningless bowl games, there's gonna be a lot of them, and they're gonna happen. But coaches are going to be prioritizing the portal. And even if the portal did in fact have a change in date to where you don't get to talk to players in the portal until later, which I don't think that's the case I did, it wouldn't matter because I mean, there's tampering going on right now as we speak. I'm sure there are coaches out there talking to somebody they're probably not supposed to be talking to, or maybe talking to somebody that's going to talk to somebody on their behalf. It just happens. I mean, how can you see how can you look at guys that are hit that announced their intention to hit the portal in season lead the team and then they've already committed. I mean, like it's blatantly a fact. It's blatantly telling you that tampering was going on. Now with that said, you know, you can't really prove it because the kid from USC who lit Louisville up last year, Miller Moss. If you remember, he was on fire last year and he started off the year really hot. When I say on fire, he was on fire against Louisville, I mean that was his career game. So then at USC starts to struggle, Well, he gets bingched one game and he hits the portal and then commits to Minnesota in the season, Like I guess he could tell the Innstada. Oh, I didn't need to talk to anybody. I just knew that's where I wanted to go, and I committed, hoping that they would have a scholarship for me once they're allowed to talk talk to me. Like, I mean, nobody would believe that, But you know, can you actually punish somebody without any proof? So tamperings going on, and it's good, But like even right now, I would be willing to bet that coaches are already starting to work on the roster for next year. Even if you're not tampering, and you're not able to contact players. You're probably having conversations with guys on your team that have taken up a scholarship all year that clearly aren't going to be a factor for you next year, and you're probably giving them the indication that you're going to go to go in a different direction, or maybe you initiate the conversation and then they end up, you know, taking it in that direction. You just, you know, you never really know. So it's already happening, and I would be you know, I don't know what I'm predicting here. I can't think of anything that would that would really back this up. But with there now being an expanded playoff and it's so clearly being important to do well in the portal, these bowl games are just gonna be like, I don't know if coaches are even going to be able to fake it that they care about them, and they've already done a pretty bad job of it, at least, you know, coaches that have higher standards than being on the outside looking at a twelve team playoff. Now, there's still gonna be some good bowl games, and there's a lot of teams that you know, their realistic chance of making the College Football Playoff with it. Expanding the twelve really didn't change a whole lot because you know, they're in the MAC and they're a mid team in the Sun Belt, meaning you know, they'd have to be the best of all of those mid level conferences to get that spot. So they'll still probably value bowl games. But they're players. I don't know, right if you're a G four guy and you're at the you know, or G five guy and you're at the H is it G four G five? I think it's G five, it's now power four G five. Either way, when you're if you're in one of the non power leagues, you know, you may say, all right, I could I could practice for three weeks and get ready to go to this bowl game in the Bahamas or in Florida or wherever and put on you know, put more film out there, maybe have another good performance. Or I could go ahead and tell him I'm not playing. Hit the portal and you know, not have to wait, because if you wait to enter the portal after your bowl game, you know, think about how many guys there are out there from the from the mid level that are kind of you know Dom a dozen, right, So like it's I think it's early to be competitive. Now, if you're gonna be going from one Power five to another Power five or I guess Power four, now, you know you probably have you probably have to have been pretty good at that level. It's the intrigue of the unknown. If somebody's really productive or pretty productive at a lower level. I'm sure there are power Power four coaches that think that, hey, that guy, you know, he'll really work with us and and he'll be even better here. But the portal is essentially a crabshoot for everybody for the most part. Now, there are certain guys where you know what you're getting, right, Like if you go and get a bit your quarterback who's started for three years at a good school and been really successful. I mean, there's no guarantee that he's as successful, but you know what you're getting. He might just turn out to play portly. But yeah, you're not crazy to look at the upside. Yeah, because Kentucky needs to win these next two to go to a ball game, and I don't think they're winning on Saturday in Austin, Texas. I don't know what's going to happen when they play Louisville, which we'll talk about that, by the way, in the five o'clock hour. We'll get the hour started with that because that is there's an updated spread for that game. And I want to give you kind of some belated thoughts I have on just this whole thing, because it's not just a game, like there's a lot that comes with it. It's a rivalry game, and this thing is messed around and positioned to be you know, maybe the word I don't know, losing to Stanford sucks, but if you lose to Kentucky now because of what happened at Stanford, you'd still be bummed, and it'd be worse than losing the Stanford because it's the rival. But like you can't say you'd be that shocked had you rolled against Stanford and you you know, rolled against pitt this week and you really have just built off the momentum that you got it Clemson up until the Governor's Cup game, and then you lose to Kentucky. That would be awful. I mean, ain losing them in any way is gonna be awful if that happens. But I actually think if there's a way to positively view the terrible result that is losing to Stanford the way you did. It's that if you do lose to Kentucky probably won't be as big of a shocker. Still will suck, but it'll be I guess maybe a little less painful for some now if you're you know, if you're I'm trying to give myself legitimate, you know, in the you know, in the moment confidence for that game. But I just when you saw the way Louisville lost the game against Stanford, I'm well aware they can play well enough to beat both these teams on their schedule, Pittsburgh and Kentucky, but just the most recent examples of what this team does was the last thing we saw. I mean, like, it's it's just hard for me to envision them succeeding when that's the most fresh. That's the freshest thing on my mind when it comes to this team. But yeah, so looking at the the positive of Stanford is that maybe the Kentucky Walls loss won't be so bad if it happens, and the Kentucky team not going to a bowl game, I guess maybe the positive in that is, like this Texter said that they can even get a head start in the portal. But also, let's be real. I mean, I said we're going to get to it in the five o'clock hour, and I just can't help myself. I just can't quit yapping because it's just, you know, it's it's a big deal. I don't want to keep losing the tuck to Kentucky and football. And here we are where Louisville despite their struggles, like we know they can, but you know, expecting it is is pretty tough now. But we'll save it for the five o'clock hour because I do want to get to this. I don't have much of an update, but just real quick and you can you can go and ride us out Austin. But I do want to mention the I don't have any update on it, but there's three people that have seent it now. On the on the text line, it's a screenshot of Korn Johnson's Instagram. As you likely know, Corean Johnson did not play the other night again Bellerman. He's dealing with a shoulder injury. And I don't believe, you know, I think what Pacielsei said word for word was we don't have the same type of timetable yet on his injury compared to Treiures, who's going to be out about six weeks whenever his arm heels well. Korn Johnson, you know, posted an Instagram story saying nothing about his injury, but he just said it was the cliche quote minors set back for a major comeback, which again, that doesn't really tell us anything. But if you are somebody that sees that as okay, he's probably going to be out a long time and that sucks. Like again, we don't know that for sure, but yeah, I mean that that's not a good sign. But maybe he meant something else. I don't know. We'll talk about it next right here on Sports Talk seven ninety.
Speaker 1: Now back to coffee and Company, fueled by Thornton's on Sports Talk seven nine.
Speaker 2: Day as I'm looking here at the board tonight for a college BA basketball, college football, and NFL. We've got a lot of things to wager on tonight if you partake in such a thing. But it hit me that there's already the holiday not holiday break. I don't know if many people are on holiday breaks just yet. We're a week away from Thanksgiving, but there's already daytime basketball going on in November, which is an awesome thing. Had I seen that Oklahoma State in Florid Atlantic were playing early, I would have gotten involved here. But if you're not, I mean again, college basketball, I feel like right now it's not to the point where you're watching it, like you probably are gonna watch it in January and February. What I mean by that is, if you're a Louisville and Kentucky fan, you're watching your team play, but whenever there's not other things going on in January and February, you're probably gonna watch still mostly your team, but you're going to be more into you know, college basketball season, knowing that, hey, there's probably gonna be some decent games on tonight when you get into conference play. Well, the majority of the games taking place right now are you know, Toledo and Stetson and Radford and Clemson, Kent stayed in Niagara. So I'm just looking at games that are taking place tonight, which I'm telling you, like, I don't blame you if you're not watching, but there are some good games going on in November that if you like college hoops, like I think, I feel like you're missing out. I want to help you like tonight, you've got Syracuse in Texas. That's a damn good basketball game for November. That's at seven o'clock. Last night Alabama hosted uh who was it? Was it Purdue?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 2: Was it Purrdue? I can't think of who it was. Who did I watch Alabama beat last night? It's gonna drive me crazy. Oh was Illinois? That's a good game. And then the night before that, as we discussed, it was Marquette that that beat Perdue and that was a hell of a game. So, you know, I give India again. I'm getting distracted because I'm looking at Indiana. They played a night against UNCG and I'm thinking about taking the Hoosiers to cover because I think they're able to cover eighteen. But nonetheless, I give the college basketball who whoever decided collectively to start scheduling you know, more of these type games in November that aren't just associated with the Thanksgiving break events. Like it's good. I mean, I'm enjoying it. So just no, if you're listening, at least one person is enjoying it. I know I'm not the only one. But again, there'll be way more viewers on college hoops in January than there is now, and you know, I get it, there'll be better games going on then because everybody's in conference play. But you know, also, you know people are just still in football mode, and you know, I totally get it all right for those just just now joining us. Corn Johnson posted something on Instagram that has some people worried that maybe his injury is going to be serious to where he doesn't return anytime soon. And again, I don't think it's silly for people to come to this conclusion, but I also don't want to just assume that this confirms anything doesn't look good. And if I had to guess, I would say it again, I had to guess keyword there being guessed, I would say that this is not a good sign for him returning anytime soon. But it you know, how many times have you seen a player or recruit, anybody maybe somebody know post something on social media? You know that is that is pretty telling, but they won't actually say it like this isn't the level of like wow, And I haven't seen it as much lately. Maybe it's because I'm just not friends with these people on Facebook anymore, or maybe the algorithm is is working out for me. To where I don't see these people on my timeline or maybe you know, people that I am friends with have just grown up and realize how silly it is. But like we've all seen the post hey, or you know, they'll put something out there, could this day get any worse? Or wow? This again just something vague, like something's wrong because you know why, Yes, they're begging somebody to say that they hope they're okay, or they're begging somebody to ask them what's going on?
Speaker 5: Oh that's my move.
Speaker 2: Really, I'm friends with you on all platforms and I cannot think of any scenario where I've ever seen you like I know your type on I know how you are on social media. You usually are super negative about sports and you know, but as far as like attention seeking vagueness, like I don't, I don't, I don't, I don't see it.
Speaker 5: I've been I've been known to do that. I guess it's I guess it's not like my forte but I I just know how to to grab some sympathy attention, and I don't know it's trickled down.
Speaker 2: Into the younger generation. Does it benefit you?
Speaker 5: Well, sometimes I kind of did it for my my podcast the other day. I don't know if you saw it, but we kind of did with the uh oh.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was kind of I thought. I thought that was just because you were taking a.
Speaker 5: Break well at that man, because we just haven't had a lot of things to do recently, and I haven't had.
Speaker 2: A lot of like so you post you posted that knowing that, like people would I would say, hey, what's going on? We really yeah, because you need that check in, that a reminder that hey, despite it being a little bit slower, there are still people that really value what you do. And hey, it's always this is something in in radio. You know, we don't get a you know, we don't get a report card after every show as far as how well we did and who listened. And you know, there's no way to know who exactly is listening. I mean you can gather numbers. I mean, like, you know, they may be listening and they hate it. I don't know. Again, it's if they were listening in any way, it's great. But that's why to me, like somebody does come out and say something to me whenever they see me in public that they listen to the show and they like it, Like that'll never get old. And I always appreciate that because one, I have an ego like every human being, but also, you know, we don't you know, without that, you really just can believe what you want as far as your listenership, not necessarily the number of listeners, but just kind of how they feel about it. So you know, I get it, you know, and I hope, I hope you were made aware that you know, despite your all's brief break here, that you're gonna be going on like it is a show that people are gonna are gonna miss and they're gonna want it back. So it's good. And I'm not saying, by any way, in any means that Korin Johnson did this for sympathy. He may not, you know, he may have been told, hey, despite this bad news, let's let us put a press release out, or maybe you know, maybe he's somebody that, like, I mean, I have a hard time thinking somebody this this age. I mean, he's a little bit older of a player at the college level, Like I doubt that he would do this if it wasn't about his shoulder injury. And if he did, I would refuse to believe that he was like Oh, what's the big deal I was talking about? You know, I had a flat tire. Uh, oh my my my car got totaled or something. You are right in there.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you always have to have I'm just like kind of laughing. I just you always have to pivot this something that oh I was Yeah, like I said, I got hacked.
Speaker 2: Or or yeah, I don't know why anybody. You know, you can know what you're doing, but it not be proven that like you were, you had you had a specific motive to put something out there, you could easily play done without it being proven that you were, you know, just trying to seek attention. And again, in no way am I saying that Korin is doing that. And again the more I think about it, the more I would say, this probably is not encouraging. I was actually thinking about it the other night. I was listening to Pat Kelsey after the game in the post game, and we're learning a lot about these coaches that are new around here, Mark Pope, Pat Kelcey, and it hit me that we've never really heard him talk about an entry before, and it was impossible for me to truly take anything other than what he was saying that Trey Ora is going to be out for you know, for a little while until his fracture heels in his arm, and with Corn Johnson, it's a shoulder and we don't have a timetable just yet. It's tough. We're waiting to figure out what the timeline is and I'm pare for anything. I don't think that's word for word what he said, but that could just be, you know, the facts. I think that is the facts. But the way he said it, I kind of felt like he didn't seem very you know, enthusiastic. And by the way, he can be average level enthusiastic and positive and sound like a depressed human being because my man usually is bringing it at a high level, right like Pat Kelsey, you know, maybe a little hungover or maybe a little sleepy, might seem like his dog died because usually he's just so energetic and he's just ready to, you know, motivate everybody in front of him. He's got a very infectious spirit in a good way. So it's probably it's probably nothing. He probably just gave them facts. But I thought to myself, you know what, maybe I just learned something there about our new ball coach, because maybe him not being his typical self, but also not really sounding sad, but just being, you know, not as enthusiastic as usual. Maybe that's a sign that he thinks it's gonna be bad news when it comes to Korn Johnson. Now again, as of now, we still have no clue, but not a good not a good sign, I would say. And maybe we'll have a press release or maybe we'll find out tomorrow after the game when they play Winthrop and they're asked about it. So anyways, we got a run two well, no, not too we got one more hour. How was it already five o'clock? Dume, just fly Tom's flying by. You know what they say, Tom flows when you're having a fun Thursday fun or well Thursday Dad the team dad joke for you. There five o'clock hours next right here on Sports Talk seven ninety