Speaker 1: It's Nightside with Dan Ray on WBS, Boston's news radio.
Speaker 2: Thanks very much to Cole. Yes, we have four hours tonight. We'll keep you warm if you're out there traveling boy, I hope you've got a heater working in the car because it is continuing to be cold. They talk about a dry January. This is a this is our cold January. But you have to kind of expect that because it is no way. The last couple of winters. Things have been maybe a little more temperate during this time of year, but things do sort of balance out with mother nature. At least that's been my experience. My name is Dan Ray. I'm the host of night Side with Dan Ray, the aptly named Nightside with Dan Ray. Rob Brooks, the producer of our program, is back in broadcast headquarters, Broadcast Central as we call it, and he will set you up with telephone calls beginning at nine o'clock. Coming up at nine o'clock tonight, we are going to talk about some ice rayds here in Bar Austin. I guarantee you that, and we will. I don't see why anybody would be opposed to ice raids in which criminal criminals are removed from the country, criminals who are not supposed to be here. We have enough criminals ourselves, we don't need to import criminals. And then at ten o'clock time we'd be talking with the new Israeli Consul General to New England, Benny Sharoni Consul General of Israel to New England, and we will talk about the ceasefire in Gaza and what is going on in Israel and for even more broadly in the Middle East. But first we have four interesting guests on different topics, like to introduce to you our first guest. His name is Sean Collins. He's a lawyer and an expert in long care insurance and that's something that a lot of people have to be thinking, particularly as people live longer and longer. Attorney Collins, Welcome to Night Side. Thanks very much for being with us this evening.
Speaker 3: Thanks Dan, I appreciate it.
Speaker 2: So what exactly do you you're a lawyer and you're an expert in long term care insurance. Is this part of your practice or is this a separate interest that you've developed.
Speaker 3: So it is part of my practice.
Speaker 4: It's pretty much all I do in my practice, and I'm also working on setting up a separate company that's you know, a non law firm to help folks with clean filing issues, you know, try to avoid the need of hiring an attorney.
Speaker 2: So for a long time, everybody figured, hey, when you retire, you got Medicare, and you're all set. Medicare, which passed in nineteen sixty five. Well, Medicare does provide some benefits, but there's a lot that isn't covered. Long term insurance, as I understand, and if I'm wrong, since you're the expert, please help me out. Is the sort of insurance that people might buy. Look sometime in there, maybe forties, fifties or sixties, anticipating the need as people live longer and longer. Is that what we're talking about you and I tonight.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's that's exactly right.
Speaker 4: So typically we'll cover stays in assisted living facilities, stays in nursing homes, and these are longer term stays that you know are not going to be covered by Medicare. So when these policies were sold, primarily in the late eighties through the early two thousands, they were sold to cover folks once they needed to move into a facility, once they needed home health care, benefits that were not going to be covered by Medicare. So that's the idea, is that this insurance product was going to protect their assets from a long stay in a you know, perhaps a memory care facility or again a skilled nursing facility.
Speaker 2: Now, the uber wealthy, the elon musks of the world, they in effect have the ability to self ensure. All right, folks who are at the other end the economic spectrum, they get the benefits also of Medicare, but also of Medicaid. It seems to me that people who are in the buying are the people in the middle, the big middle, who do have a home that they hope to pass on to their kids, and all of a sudden mom or Dad finds themselves in a long care facility that's costing twenty thousand dollars a month. Is this a good investment, Because like insurance, it's kind of a gamble. You hope that you will buy adequate insurance to cover whatever you need. At the same time you think to yourself, well, you know, do I really have to spend that give us the pluses and the minuses from your perspective, from the perspective of people who are in the middle, because again Elon Musk is not buying any long long term health insurance. He's all sad, and folks who are on the other end, they probably don't have the ability because it's an expensive vehicle to purchase, correct.
Speaker 4: So then, and it's a lot more expensive now than one it was in its heyday. So you know, the sales of long term care insurance really peaking in the nineties and into the early two thousands. I mean, that was the long term care insurance heyday. There's far fewer carriers available now, much more difficult to find coverage, their underwriting restrictions are much higher, and frankly, it's just unaffordable for most folks. People that purchase their coverage back in the eighties and the ninety two thousands, now they maybe got a great deal on it, and you know that's something that they should hang on to. Now again they're you know, getting hit with rate increases on their policies, so they have a whole other headaches. But right now it's a difficult to find coverage, and it's difficult to find coverage that is not you know, very expensive. So you know, everybody's circumstances are different. You definitely want to talk to your insurance adjuster and see if there's a plan that makes sense. But you know, one of the things that I would keep in mind is I would advise anyone to purchase a long term care insurance policy today that gives the insurance company the ability to increase rates in the future. So if they're going to sell you a product today, you want to make sure that it's a product that the rates are absolutely locked in and there's no way they can go up. And if you can't afford that, then you should probably rethink whether you need to buy it.
Speaker 2: What's the possibility that, just as in Southern California, Los Angeles, I think a lot of insurance companies are not going to be able to cover the losses out there. And I think a lot of insurance companies, this is my opinion, I could be wrong. I're going to go belly up because of the magnitude of the damage that has been done in Los Angeles, outside and outside of Los Angeles. What's the possibility that some of these long term insurance companies that took people's money in the eighties and nineties and two thousands, As people live longer and find their need for healthcare greater. What's the chance that some of these companies might go belly up?
Speaker 4: You know, I think inst is that these companies will go belly up. It's a bit overstated by the industry. It's my view that the industry there there were some carriers that did fail, and you know, but it's my view that the industry is using those carriers to instill a bit of fear mongering as a way to increase premiums on folks that they already have locked in for twenty to thirty years.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 4: That's not to say that there aren't certain carriers they're going to have that have bigger problems than others. But for the most part, these carriers can withstand losses. And maybe they're not going to make the profits they want, maybe they're going to make you a bit less money, but they're not going to go belly up.
Speaker 2: But you talk about the heyday the eighties, the nineties, in the early two thousands, was that the baby boomer generation looking ahead and saying, hey, we got to worry about mom and dad when they get into the seventies, eighties and perhaps beyond. Is that why it was such a good time for these insurance companies becauld people walking in the do and say, I want to buy long Trump Care insurance.
Speaker 4: I think so because they were they were in a position where, you know, back in the eighties and the nineties, they could the baby boomers could go in and purchase a policy for their parents, still right, So they could get a policy for their parents, and then they're also looking at I want to maintain my independence, and they're buying a policy for themselves. So I know that that was happening a lot where folks were purchasing policies for their parents that were in their seventies when they maybe were in their forties.
Speaker 3: So I think that's exactly right.
Speaker 2: So Sean, let me give you a chance. What is the service that you can provide? And we only got about a minute and a half left, But if folks want to fight avail themselves of your services, what service do you provide? Who do you help and how?
Speaker 4: So I help sure, So I help I help folks that are having a difficult time navigating the claim process. So as an attorney, you know, most of the time when when I hear from people, things have already been a mess. They may have been fighting with the insurance company for a year trying to get the claim covered, and you know, all kinds of reasons just to why of these claims get denied. It's a lot more complicated than than it may first appear. And I think the claim process has gotten much more difficult over the last you know, five to ten years. So people give generalized advice about how to deal with the claim process. Generalized advice doesn't work. You need to look at your particular insurance policy, and there's thousands of different variations of the insurance policies in the language. So you know, I'm starting a company that will be will be a non law firm. It's going to be a patient advocacy organization. And the idea is that if you can get infect with us, we can help navigate you through the claim process and you know, hopefully things should go smoothly and you won't ever need to hire a lawyer. If you want to get in touch with us, you can email us at info at Safe Harbor l TC dot com or give us a call at one eight eight eight six one one zero nine zero eight.
Speaker 2: Well, I'm going to ask you Sean Is give that email address one more time.
Speaker 4: Please sure it's info at Steve Harbor ltc dot com.
Speaker 2: Okay, when when we finish up what you're about to finish up, please give both that email and that phone number to my producer, Rob, who you spoke with before, because there will be some people who might have missed it and they'll be able to call Rob during the next forty five minutes and get that contact information if they are so inquined. Thank you very much, and I thank you for what you do because there's a lot of people out there who going to find themselves in trouble for a good reason. A lot of us are living longer than our parents did, and that's why I fear that some of these companies, unless they have really leveraged themselves properly, are going to be problematic. Sean Collins, thank you so much for having joined us tonight, and stay online and give that info to Rob so he can have it if anyone wants to call in during the next hour. Thank you so much, sEH.
Speaker 4: I appreciate it, very appreciate it, and thanks a lot.
Speaker 2: You're very welcome. We get back when we talk about an old drug which provides a new problem for people who have it, who are who are addicted, and we're going to talk about nitrous oxide which is making a comeback and what you can do about it if you find yourself attracted to it. We have a couple of other topics coming up. We're going to be talking with the Gambino crime family associate after the eight to thirty news is going to be talking about a big air show coming up in New Hampshire. I think you're going to want to know about it. And as they say, we'll get to our topics of the night with phone calls. Going to talk with Ed Flynn Boston City Council about the ice sweep that has occurred in Boston in the last day or so. And also going to be talking about the Israel Hamas ceasefire in the Middle East with the Consul General of Israel to New England. My name is Dan Ray. This is Nightside. We will be right back right after this.
Speaker 1: Now back to Dan Ray line from the Window World Nightside Studios on w b Z, the news radio.
Speaker 2: Back in the days, back in the old days, there was a drug called nitrous oxide. Apparently it's now making a comeback. With us as my guest, Michael Mulfin he's an addiction expert. He overcame addiction and is now sober. His real job is as a home builder. So kind of an interesting combination, uh combination, Michael, What exactly is nitrous oxide?
Speaker 5: Well, good evening, Dan, and thank you so much for having me on. Yeah, it's an old one. It's it's an old it's an old drug, and it's nitrous oxide is for your listeners, when you go to the dentist and they give you laughing gas or something to uh, you know, to calm you down.
Speaker 6: Uh, that's what it is.
Speaker 3: I mean, that's exactly what it is. And what it does is.
Speaker 5: It it calms the brain down, and and the more you use it, you actually hallucinate and disassociate from your you know, your from your body. And that's where the attraction is for addicts.
Speaker 2: So how how is it ingested? I mean is this I mean, they were they were kids back twenty years ago, thirty years ago that used to uh try to sniff what was it aerosol dispensers. Is that what we're talking about?
Speaker 5: Yeah, So my personal experience, I used to do that and there's a you know, rush or airplane glue to get that instant high all the way down to the old markers, you know, the markers we used to you know, to sniff the liquid paper, the white liquid paper, and but this is, you know, on steroids, a lot stronger and and today our our kids, our college students, anyone. It's easy accessible because you can now purchase them online. You can also purchase it in local smoke shops, you know, these smoke shots that are selling kret them that they're selling, you know, the thh you know, see vape pins and all that. You can also get what they're called whippets. And they're little canisters that you can open up and you inhale it and it gives you this instant high and it can be very dangerous.
Speaker 2: And how did this make a comeback? I guess if at some point it must have fallen out of fashion.
Speaker 5: Well, you're right, fell out of fashion. But it makes a comeback really because the Internet and these smoke shops, these smoke shops are getting their hands on anything that is not illegal. It's just right in the middle of the gray line. And they sell these things, you know, and they call them whippets, you know, or hippie crack is what they call it and these kids are you know ingesting it? And what happens is this is my personal opinion, it's a gateway drug into hallucingens. I mean, it's a gateway drug into mushrooms. It's a gateway drug into LSD asset. Because an attict wants they're triggered, they want more and so they want more of the experiencing.
Speaker 3: It's very dangerous.
Speaker 2: So if it is. Look, I know that marijuana is legal in Massachusetts. We have not only medical but recreational dispensaries. I think we're about to open up cannabis cafes here in Massachusetts. So how does that decision by the voters and by the politicians. How does that then open up the door to something that I don't think the voters of the politicians really are aware of. How does that work? I mean, how that stuff legal to be sold in when we think of as pot dispensaries.
Speaker 5: Right, let me answer it this way, speaking from a recovering addict. Okay, it's a great question. How was asked before in the talk show just recently that if we were to magically build a wall around the entire United States? Okay, would that help the drug epidemic. Yeah, it would help a little bit, but the real problem is, I'm still going to get high. I Am going to find a way.
Speaker 3: To get high. So it's on the attic himself.
Speaker 5: You know. We can vote and do all the things we want to, but what we need to do is is we need to stop focusing on addiction and start focusing on why the addiction. And that's where we'll start getting the change. And it's one attic in recovery helping another one. It's starting to get people on your show, your successful show, sharing success stories of how we've overcome. And that's where we don't have to go to the ballot box. We just go right to the people and the true stories of redemption and restoration. And that provides hope because it is a deadly epidemic.
Speaker 2: Oh. Look, we've seen the sentinel, you know, numbers which have been pouring across the southern border for now years and there are so many I've done stories with parents who lost two kids the same night, you know, with fentanyl. Look, you don't have to convince me on this, but look, everybody, I like cores light and a and a glass of red wine with dinner. So I'm not the perfect person either, Okay, but I can handle it and I take and it doesn't impact me.
Speaker 5: Well, the reason why, the reason why I love what you said right there is you had to have a core light and a glass of wine. Okay, but it's not your source. It's not that's it's not your source. And that's what addiction is is that once something becomes my source, and I'm chasing these visible things to fix my invisible problems, then I'm an active addiction.
Speaker 3: Okay, you know what, Michael.
Speaker 2: I need to talk to you more, and I think my audience needs to talk to you more. And so we do four interviews in the eight o'clock hour here in Boston.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 2: And then I'd love to have you back and to talk to some of my listeners because I know that my listen news have kids who are in trouble, and I know so my listeners in trouble, and so my best callers are people who are reformed addicts. I have friends of mine who were heroin addicts. I have friends of mine, and I saw them through recovery, and I worked with them and and to some and supported them. Okay, they did it on them their own but I think support is very important, uh, and I'd love to have you back. So how can folks get in touch with you in the meantime, what's the best way?
Speaker 3: Uh?
Speaker 2: You you have you have a website, we do.
Speaker 5: We have a huge platform, and that's all we talk about. We've been doing this for seven years and it's it's M. It's M two. That's the letter M, the number.
Speaker 3: Two the rock.
Speaker 5: T h E r O c k dot com. Visit our website and you can follow us.
Speaker 2: Okay, so M to the rock. So M two t H E r O c k dot com or dot org dot com dot com. Michael, we'll have you back. Thank you for what you do. Congratulations on your recovery. You're an inspiration and can be an inspiration of some of my audience who may be dealing with some problems with their own family. And we'll get you back and we'll talk to as well. Thank you very much. Michael Molfin, an addiction expert. It's M two b Rock all one word dot com. Coming back on nights side, right after the news at the bottom of the hour, and we're going to talk with a form a member of the Gambino crime family. A life of crime that has turned around. So we got a couple of stories of recovery here tonight. That's an uplifting. Later on we'll talk about thunder over New Hampshire. We're not talking about thunder thunder. We're talking about an air show. We'll get to all of that, and then we'll get to our talk portion of the program, beginning right after the nine o'clock news. My name is Dan Ray. This is night Side with Dan Ray on WBZ Boston. We are an iHeartRadio station. You can check us out on the iHeartRadio app. Listen to us from anywhere in the world, as can your friends and relatives who might listen anywhere in the world. Back on Nightside after this.
Speaker 1: You're on Nightside with Dan Ray on WBZ Boston's news radio.
Speaker 2: Thank you, Nicole. Pleasure to welcome Robert Brelli to Nightside. Robert is a former Gambino Family crime member and associate. Robert Brelli, Welcome to Nightside.
Speaker 3: How are you well.
Speaker 6: I'm doing well. Thank you for allowing me to be on your show. Do appreciate all that you're doing well.
Speaker 2: I had an opportunity to watch a previous interview. You sound like a very interesting person, and maybe we'll do this at a little longer format at some night. But we got about eight or nine minutes here just to chat. I did a lot of work out here as a television reporter in the nineteen nineties and into the two thousands, going after corrupt FBI agents here in Boston who framed men who were mafia associates up here for murder they had nothing to do with. So I understand your lifestyle and I understand your story probably better than most talk show hosts. So tell us about it. I understanding you're a young guy. You're growing up in Brooklyn, New York, and you really got involved with with the big leaguers, if you will, the heavy hitters at a fairly young age. Tell us how you got involved and where it led you, well.
Speaker 6: You know, at an early age, you know, Like I try to describe it as like.
Speaker 3: Two types of.
Speaker 6: People to tweet, types of people that I had experiences in my life. Of course, it was my family, my mom and dad, legitimate people you know, worked really hard but had a hard time making ends meet. And you know, it's kind of a low income family, so we were I guess you would say poor neighborhood and most of the arguments in the home would be over finances, so there wasn't looking to be like my dad or my mom or anything like that is what I would want for myself growing up. And then at that time, we had the older friends in the neighborhood that we got drafted by when the Vietnam War came back, strung out on drugs and alcohol and stuff like that, so I didn't want to be And then you had the guys down the block that had the social club, and they seemed to get older respect from everybody in the neighborhood. They kind of protected the neighborhood. They had everything that I would have wanted growing up. I wasn't sure how they got it. I didn't want to care how they got it. I just wanted it. So I started hanging out with them at an early age. And then as I got a little bit older and they could see that they trust me. The more that they trust me more things that they gave me to do. And then I hooked up with a guy a judgment in Queens and his dad happened to be one of the big bosses of the neighborhood, and that's how I got really established in that time. But to just make it clear, I never became a member. I was just an associated.
Speaker 2: Sure enough, I got you. I understand that. The distinction and the different it's it's said member slash associate on my my cue card here, and so I appreciate that correction, and I do understand it's a it's a significant difference. Now you got yourself locked up. You I don't know if if you pled out, if you are were convicted, if you cut a deal. But what's the worst.
Speaker 6: Case you're talking about?
Speaker 2: No, I yet it. No, I get it again. So let's let's go.
Speaker 6: Let's go to the worst.
Speaker 2: Let's go to the worst case than you. What was the most serious crime for which you were charged and charged in or.
Speaker 6: Convicted when I first got locked up at the age of twenty years old for two murders in possession of a weapon.
Speaker 2: Okay, now, of course, uh, you've done your time. I assume.
Speaker 6: Did you beat all those I know I actually beat all those cases.
Speaker 2: You beat the well, your lawyer beat the cases. I guess right.
Speaker 3: Yes.
Speaker 6: I laid up for a while waiting for bail. Then I got bailed out. Then when I had to go on trial. They remanded me for trial, and that's kind of where I would say I got a lot of recognition with the mob was because I did get locked up for murder that I didn't commit, kept my mouth shut, did everything that I was taught growing up and being gloomed in that lifestyle. U waited to get bailed out. And then I have five eyewitnesses against me for that case, and I ended up getting acquitted on the case. And then after that it was just like, Okay, Nowice the up and coming star. The guy did his thing, you know, stood his time, you know all that kind of recognition that you get, especially for a case that much. You know they're facing that much time. So that would be, I would say, my stepping stone into really being recognized with some of the big heavy hitters.
Speaker 2: But at some point, at some point, you had a transformation, I guess, is how we would characterize her, how it's characterized the book, A life of crime, transportation, and transformation. And hope what prompted the transformation?
Speaker 6: The last time I got arrested, well, let me just go back a little bit. And I know we don't have a lot of time, but I got involved with the drug business, and then the drug business got involved with my business. And then I had a little girl that was born with my girlfriend, and I cleaned myself up, and then seven weeks after she came home after she was born, I went back out to get high again. And that one too many was definitely well my thing. When you know they say one is too many, thousands, never enough, that's kind of I fell into that trap and I never went back home and got ready. Then I was out on the streets in Brooklyn, New York, in Queen's Area, strung out on crack cocaine. So I got arrested. I got arrested in ninety seven for well like I had warrants for a case in Queensland. Then a case in Florida was involved with some of the guys from the game be No Crime Family, and I was wanted for the federal case. So I never went to back to court the staatecase because I knew the Feds were gonna end up getting me, and long story short, I have to do some time. So my wile services picked me up and actually January twenty third today, it makes twenty eight years since I had a drink and a drug. So yes, so so that I call on my angels now. But they were warring offices and they placed me in Rikids Island, and you know, I'm locked up. I know there's two things I really need to do. You know, I've been and then out of prisons a lot in my life, and I need to get a good attorney to get me out of the mess I got myself into. And then I need to get commissary money because I know I'm not going to get built out this trip, so I know that I need to get it, you know, a little as comfortable as I can, get as much money as my commissary so I can live as comfortable as I can on that time. And then I'm talking to my daughter, but her mother won't let me go see her because I was all strung out. She allowed me to talk to her over the phone. And that was my daughter crying this one time, and I said, well, you're crying because she won't come and see me. And that just chattered my heart into pieces because there were so many times that I was in the neighbor when I rather get hird and go see my own little girl. And uh ran back to myself and just cried like a little baby. Didn't want the inmates to see me and just asks God to either have somebody kill me or change me. I can't live like this anymore, and I believe God answered the scaia to cry at my heart.
Speaker 2: Well, Robert, that's an incredible story again, a life of crime, transportation, and now hope. So you've written a book. It's called the Story of Robert Berelli. I assume it's a kaillable and.
Speaker 3: Called the Witness.
Speaker 6: It's called the Witness.
Speaker 2: The Witness, I'm sorry, the witness, the story for the government.
Speaker 6: I was waiting for the government because I ended up cooperating with the government on my last time in prison, and and so we wrote the book. I was a witness for the government. I'm a witness of Jesus.
Speaker 2: Well, you remember the fed winness protection program.
Speaker 6: Yes, sir, I was okay, do.
Speaker 2: You still have protection or are you out.
Speaker 6: In your own No? No, I got torn out quite a long time ago. So now I just once they threw me. Of course, that clink never told anybody that was in the program, so that's all that had to be hidden. But now I could go out and share my testimony. And once they toned me out, and that's what I do.
Speaker 2: Okay, Well, Robert, I really enjoyed the conversation. I could have talked to you for five hours, never mind five or ten minutes. And I hope people buy your book, The Witness, The Story of Robert Barelli in the New York Gambino Mafia crime Family, A Life of Crime Transformation, and hope I wish you the best of luck, my friend, and maybe we'll have you back and we'll go into this a little bit more in depth. As they say, around the time when you got busted in ninety seven, I was helping a guy get out of jail who had done thirty years in prison for murder he had nothing to do with. He and three other associates my last day on television were awarded one hundred and sixteen million dollars by the federal government for the corrupt fb the work of the corrupt FBI agents. I don't know if the name H. Paul Rico rings a bell, but he was Jay Goo Hoover's most trusted and probably most corrupt FBI agent throughout the nineteen fifties and sixties and put a lot of people away for crimes They didn't commit so they were There was as much crime being committed up here by the FBI as there was by by by organized crime, believe it or not in old Boston time. So Roberts, best of luck, and we may get back to you, and if you'd like to talk to someone might listen to something like that. That might be a good experience and a good lesson for people to learn. Thank you so much for your time tonight.
Speaker 6: Okay, Can I just mention that if they go to Robert Barelli dot com that would be my what website that's the best seat to will make a donation and I can mail them a book and sign it for them.
Speaker 2: So okay, Robert Barrellian and the correct spelling of Robert everyone has, but Brelli is bo r E l l I dot com. Robert, Thanks, Mauch, appreciate your time. I really do all right. Congratulations on the degree U turn in your life.
Speaker 6: Hey man said that, thank you so much. You'd be blessed and I appreciate all that you do.
Speaker 2: Right back at you. We get back when we talk thunder over New Hampshire with Major Michelle Mastro Bautista. We are looking forward to this conversation because we've got an air show coming up to New Hampshire that you want to get some tickets for. We'll get you all that information right after the break.
Speaker 1: Now back to Dan Ray live from the Window World Night Side Studios on WBZ News Radio.
Speaker 2: Welcome back. Delighted to introduce Major Michelle Mastro Bautista of the New Hampshire Air National Guard. Major I should salute you. How are you?
Speaker 7: I'm doing very well. Thanks, thanks for having me.
Speaker 2: You're more than welcome. So we're going to talk about program called the thunder Over New Hampshire Air Show or to nh Air Show, and it's coming up later on this year. Tickets are still available, but I think they're going fast. First of all, you were a group called the New Hampshire Women's Foundation. Tell us you've kind of you're in the National Guard and you're also with the Hampson Women's Women's Foundation. How long you've been in the Guard to reach the rank of Major. I assume it's been at least ten years, maybe more.
Speaker 7: Oh, it's been a few more than that. We're almost on the near the twenty side of the house. But it's been a good time. The whole time.
Speaker 2: That's great, that's great, and you signed up, but sometime after nine to eleven if my calendar is correct, So thank you for your service. What's your involvement with the New Hampshire Women's Foundation, which is highlighted here as well, So tell me a little bit about that, then we'll talk about the air show.
Speaker 7: Oh I think that's supposed to be the New Hampshire Military Assistance Foundation.
Speaker 2: Okay, Well, then if it's written incorrectly, I apologize to have to talk to my producer about that. Tell us about that.
Speaker 7: Yeah, the New Hampshire Military Assistance Foundation is a nonprofit here in the Portsmouth area that helps the support the men and women of the New Hampshire National Guard. So we collaborate with them to put this air show on.
Speaker 2: Okay, so that's one of the sponsors. Okay, So the airshow it's called thunder Over New Hampshire. I think most of us have some idea where PE's airbase is in Portsmouth, New Hampshire, and it is a little bit off in the distance. It's September sixth and seventh of this year. Great way to Is that going to be Labor Day weekend or is that the week well, I guess it is probably Labor Day weekend.
Speaker 7: It's exactly the weekend after Labor Day, the weekend.
Speaker 2: After Labor Day, Okay, and it's the US Navy's Blue Angels. I think everyone knows the Blue Angels. Tell Us of the show is free, but you have to to follow instructions to make sure you're either in a parking space that maybe you pay a little bit of money for. Tell us tell us what people can do to have access to this, and let's get them to the website so they got plenty of time to make sure that they are where they want to be on September sixth and seventh.
Speaker 7: Sure, well, the website that everyone should check out is the thunderover New Hampshire dot com website, and I highly suggest people go there now to sign up for air Insights, where they can get first hand information as soon as it comes out, particular in particular about new opportunities for parking and access to the show. But the show is completely free to everybody. There were premium parking tickets that were on sale, but we also did give out over three thousand free parking tickets each day. But there is access to the ramp each day and that will be on the south entrance near the Piece Trade Port, so bikers and walkers do have access to it. So admission is there is no admission to the show, but there is premium parking that comes.
Speaker 6: To the fee.
Speaker 2: And how long. I've never been to a Blue Angel show, but I'm just wondering how long on the shows each day.
Speaker 7: Well, there's a full day of activities. You could be there from gate open to the gate clothes, kind of like Disney World. We have lots of statics to see until the lineup begins around lunchtime. So the aerial acts will last anywhere from three to four hours. But there's black Hawks C twelve F sixteen F thirty five and over seven acres of STEM to see, So like I said, it could be a full day if you plan the right way.
Speaker 2: And and STEM is with science technology, mathematics, that's there. It's education when you say STEM right.
Speaker 7: Yep, yep, that whole yep, everything with sciented technology. We're definitely promoting that heavy across the whole military and there's a lot to see that the community brings and pulls together to showcase on our ramp.
Speaker 2: Now, is this sub is this show. Besides obviously showing the uh the ability of the US Air Force, is it also perhaps one of one of the purposes might be to interest young people in either serving or even perhaps even thinking of it as more of a career opportunity. I assume that that it's going to be inspirational.
Speaker 7: Absolutely, that is definitely one of the top reasons that we put on air shows. It is to one give back to the community where they can see where their taxpayer dollars are going every day. But also, and almost more importantly, it is to plant the seeds that we hope to inspire the next generation of you know, sailors, pilots, soldiers across you know, across our country. And actually this show is really special because part of our aerial lineup includes aircraft from the Navy, Air Force, Army, and course. So we're really excited to show that you can you can fly on almost every branch and hopefully yeah, this does expo inspire young people or any age really just to keep you know, supporting.
Speaker 2: Us the show. How often is this an annual event at peace or is this a show that comes around every few years?
Speaker 7: Well, we did take about a ten year hiatus earlier in the two thousands. We came back in twenty twenty one, right on the heel of COVID we had our first show with the Thunderbirds, and then we did have one two years ago with the F sixteen Viper Demo team, and then so now two years later we're having an excellent lineup with the Blue Angels as the headliner. And the plan for us as hosts the one fifty seven theory fueling Wing is to do it about every two to three years as we're able to do so. It's a very large effort. It takes a lot of people to help us. So as long as we can keep doing it that way, then I think we're going to try to stay in this business.
Speaker 2: Well. So the message here is it's something that is not going to be there every year, and you want to take advantage of it. As you said, the weekend after Labor Day September sixth and seventh, and give us that website one more time where people can follow up and go and make some notes and plan what will be a great family event.
Speaker 7: Yeah, it is a great family event. The website is thunderover New Hampshire dot com and the date is six and seventh September. We hope to see everybody there. We're the only air show in New England this year, so you should come come out and see it.
Speaker 2: Major Mastro Bautista, thank you for your service and thank you for your time tonight. I appreciate it very much.
Speaker 7: Thank you so much.
Speaker 2: You're very welcome. When we get back here on Night's side, we will go to our talks, talk issues of the night. The first one is going to be the activity of ISIS in the first couple of days of the Trump administration. It's been active in the Boston area, it's been active in a lot of cities around the country, and we're going to bring you up to date on it. There was some reference to this in this morning's Boston Herald. We will explain it all right after the nine o'clock news here at Night Side.