Speaker 1: Okay, round two. Name something that's not boring.
Speaker 2: Laundry, a book club, computer solitaire.
Speaker 3: Huh oh, sorry, we were looking for Chumbu Casino Chum. That's right, Chumbuckcasino dot com as over one hundred casino style games joined today and play for free for your chance to redeem some serious prizes. Chum chumbucasino dot com. No process relieved by low eighty plus storms conditions of the busy website retails with Lucky Land Slots, you can get lucky just about anywhere.
Speaker 2: Dearly beloved, we are gathered here today. Has anyone seen the bride and groom?
Speaker 4: Sorry?
Speaker 3: Sorry, we're here. We were getting lucky in the limo when we lost track of time.
Speaker 1: No Lucky Land casino with cash prizes that add up quicker than a guess registered.
Speaker 2: In that case, I pronounce you lucky.
Speaker 5: Thanks for free.
Speaker 4: At Lucky Landslots dot com.
Speaker 2: Daily bonuses are waiting.
Speaker 4: No purchase necessary board. We're prohibited by lock eight team plus terms and conditions applaing see website for.
Speaker 3: You.
Speaker 2: Are now listening to True Murder, the most shocking killers in true crime history and the authors that have written about him. Gasey Bundy Dahmer, The Nightstalker BCK. Every week, another fascinating author talking about the most shocking and infamous killers in true crime history True Murder with your host, journalist and author Dan Zufanski.
Speaker 5: Good evening. In nineteen thirty five, nine year old George Werhauser, heir to one of the wealthiest families in America, is snatched off the streets two blocks from his home. The boy is kept, manacled, manacled in a pit, chained to a t, and locked in a closet. The purps, a career bank robber, a petty thief, and his nineteen year old, never been in trouble Mormon wife quickly become the targets of the biggest man hunt in Northwest history. The caper plays out like a Hollywood thriller, with countless twists and improbable developments. Perhaps the most astonishing thing of all, though, is how it all ends. Book we're featuring this evening is Deep in the Woods, the nineteen thirty five kidnapping of nine year old George Waerhauser, heir to America's mightiest Timber dynasty. With my special guest, journalist and author Brian Johnston. Welcome to the program, and thank you so much for this interview. Brian Johnston, how do you do?
Speaker 4: Good to talk with you, Dan, thank.
Speaker 5: You so much for joining me with this incredible story. It is just to start before we have this May twenty fourth, nineteen thirty five. You talk about in the beginning of your book just a little bit about some of the stuff that you needed to be able to research, be able to do this story the way you did. And so you talk about twenty five hundred pages of FBI documents, two hundred plus newspaper articles, cran court transcripts, parton me, and interviews with George Warehouser himself. So just just yeah, that's exactly our audience, a little bit of an introduction. Let's get to May twenty fourth, nineteen thirty five, and tell us what happens. Take us back to where this is, Tacoma, Washington. Take us back to that day and why George was walking home without say this chauffeur that might have been able to pick him up. Tell us a little bit about his background, family's background, and what happened that day.
Speaker 4: Sure, so the Warehouser family, people in the Northwest are very familiar with the Warehouser name the rest of the country, I'm not sure, and that was pretty much fine with them. George's great grandfather, Frederick Warehouser, to this day is still considered about the twelfth richest man in American history. Okay, the eleven being Bill Gates. Okay, super wealthy family. They were in the timber industry. As a matter of fact, the Warehouser's own about four percent of the entire state of Washington. Here's a really goofy statistic for you. They own about one six hundred and fortieth percent of all of America.
Speaker 5: Wow.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yes, they own a lot. So very wealthy family. But the Warehousers always wanted to be a very unassuming family, and they didn't like being in the spotlight. You know, back when Frederick was, you know, super rich man. This is also the time of the Rockefellers and the Carnegies and the Astors and vanderb else and he just wanted everybody else to have the spotlight. And he just wanted to quietly go about his business here in the Pacific Northwest.
Speaker 5: And he did.
Speaker 4: And that's been kind of the hart that's kind of the hallmark of the Warehouser family quiet unassuming, and they wanted to raise their kids the same way. So George, nine year old George, he and his brother would frequently walk to school and walk home. Sometimes they'd catch a ride with the quote unquote chauffeur who was nothing more than the house gardener, who would give him a ride now and then. And on this occasion, May twenty fourth, George was at school, which is about a half mile from home, and he walked down to another school where his sister is going to school, and he was supposed to meet her there and then their chauffeur would give him a ride the rest of the way. Well, he got there about fifteen minutes early, after waiting around for a few minutes, when was this dumb Why do I want to wait here? I'll just walk home. It's you know, it's like six blocks. So he starts walking and he's about three blocks from home when a car just pulls up in this little parking lot that he happened to just be in at that moment, nobody else around. Guy jumps out of the car asks him a question, Hey kid, can you tell me where Stadium Way is? George doesn't give it a thought, He says, yeah, sure, and then a guy grabs him, throws him in the back seat of the car, says keep your mouth shut, nothing's going to happen, and drives away. Kidnappers now have George Warehouser kidnapped.
Speaker 5: Now it takes a little bit of time before anyone notices, uh, you know, George's parents are out of the town and so well they just.
Speaker 4: Yeah, exactly when.
Speaker 5: When do they notice this missing?
Speaker 4: Well, the chauffeur, after he couldn't find George, he gets back home after dropping off his sister and thinks, let's kind of pick because George isn't here either, So he goes back out driving around for a little while and he can't find George either. So it wasn't until you know about I would say, an hour or two later where they started getting seriously concerned. Then that evening the ransom note shows up, and that's when they knew everything had gone sideways. By that time, George's dad was back in town and George's mom was getting home that evening. So yeah, it was like I said about, I think about five o'clock at night when they got the ransom note in the mail and actually got delivered hand delivered to their to their house.
Speaker 5: What did that ransom note contain? It had it had the conditions for this ransom, but also a fair amount of information for the family to follow exactly.
Speaker 4: Had twenty one demands, the first demand being that the kidnappers wanted two hundred thousand dollars in small, unmarked bills. Now, just to give sense of how much money that is, nineteen thirty five, during the depression, the average income for people was fifteen hundred dollars a year, so that ransom was the equivalent of one hundred and thirty three years worth of the average person salary. All right, the Limberg baby kidnapping, which happened only two years earlier, those kidnappers originally only asked for fifty thousand dollars. This was four times that amount of money. Well, the warehousers were wealthy, but they didn't have two hundred grand and small and marked bills laying around. And that was the number one demand. We want that money in five days or else. Some of the other demands were that it will communicate with us using personal ads in the Seattle Post Intelligencer newspaper using a code name. The code name Percy many. So this way, when the Warehouser family was ready to pay the ransom, they would place a person lad in the paper saying we're ready or something to that effect, and sign it persing in. The kidnappers every day would flip through the newspaper and the person lads looking for that code word, and then they would know, you know, the Warehousers are ready to pay up. Some of the other demands, which were ridiculous, were don't tell the police haha, good luck with that, and also do not tell the media, which also ridiculous. In fact, the ransom note said do not alert the newspapers. So what did the newspaper do? They posted the ransom note on the front page of the newspaper.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, incredible.
Speaker 4: So yeah, And the ransom note was signed, you know, basically said, you know, we consider ourselves very smart, We've been planning this for years, don't get cute, treat this as a business transaction, and signed it egoist. Egoist.
Speaker 5: So a lot for the police contemplate and try to derive some clues from this, especially with this Percy mini and with this egoist. So at that time, when they're still at the beginning of their investigation. You also talk about Jay Edgar Hoover and the beginning rebranding, So they become the FBI in nineteen thirty five. But you also take us meanwhile, You take us to six weeks earlier to a person named Margaret Whaley and her husband, Harmon.
Speaker 4: And Bill Mayhon. So those are the kidnappers. I guess we should probably qualify them as two and a half kidnappers. William may And alias William Daynard was the mastermind of this. Now. He was kind of a career bank robber. He'd spent a fair amount of time in prison, and he also had a way of sweet talking his way out of prison too frequently. Harmon Whaley, who he met in prison, who was he was kind of a small time criminal, and he and William Mayhan had served some time together. And then Margaret was Harmon's wife. So Bill Mayhan and Harmon just randomly ran across each other out on the streets in Salt Lake City about six weeks earlier. So Harmon says, hey, Bill, you got to come back to my house and have dinner with me and my wife. Harmon had met Margaret only six months earlier. Dated for a week and then got married. Margaret was nineteen years old, never been in trouble in her life, but she was raised in the Mormon faith, and she was taught to always do exactly as your husband tells you too, And that was her undoing through the whole thing. Poor Margaret, she was, she was a pawn in this whole thing, but she got caught up in it unbeknownst to her. So Margaret and Harmon, they're totally captivated by Bill mayhann esus talker, good salesperson, and he says, Hey, I'm head enough to Spokane, Washington. I've got a job up there. He didn't, why don't you guys come with me? Maybe I can get harm in a job too. A why because at the time, Harmon and Margaret had six bucks to their name, and they're like, sure, let's do that. So they jump and build Mahon's car and they drive up north. He stops along the way at this garage and says, hold on for a second, opens a garage. There's a second car. Yeah, this is my other car. Why don't you guys drive it? And they're like, holy crap, this guy's got two cars. During the depression. They think their ships come in. So they drive up to Spokane, they runt a house together, and you know, they just go about their business. So they then they drive back. They drive across the state over to western Washington, Seattle, Tacoma and a little town called hoke Whim where Harmon grew up. And Margaret's under the impression that they're, you know, that William's trying to help Harmon get a job and help him with his sales as it were. Little does she know that they're actually casing banks, looking, you know, to rob banks. They drive back across the state, and then Margaret totally changes the calculus of everything completely unwittingly. She reads an article in the newspaper. It says, uh, you know, local millionaire Warehouser dies. Well this was George's grandfather, Okay, And she just went, huh, that's really interesting, That's all she really said. Bill Mayhan hears that and he sees the angle. He's like, huh, local millionaire dies, So maybe he leaves a lot of money to his son. Maybe his son has kids. Hmm, I see leverage opportunity. So Bill Mayhan and Harmon head back west again. They tell Margaret again. Now we're going to head back west. We got opportunities for sales again a lie. They go back and they start looking for They look through the newspaper. We see the newspaper. They look through the phone book and they find the warehouser's phone number and address. They drive down and they start casing the joint and they see little George and his brother walk into school and the light goes on for Bill Mayhon, and he's like, ah, here we go, here's my opportunity. So for about two days they're casing, they're tracking the kid, and so that's how the whole kidnapping came about. It really was just a crime of opportunity. She reads an article in the paper, she makes a comment, Bill Mayhon. The light goes on, and they follow the kid and they snatch the kid. It all came together in like two days.
Speaker 5: You talk about just before this about the state of kidnapping at that time nineteen thirty to nineteen thirty two, how it was, and you also of course mentioned the Limberg case. So there's a new law as a result of that kidnapping. Tell us about that law and also just how kidnappings were in those years, especially.
Speaker 4: So the Limberg. Yeah, the Limberg kidnapping pretty much changed everything because up to that point, criminals back in the twenties, when criminals were really popular for a lack of better term, you know, al capone guys like that, they would escape prosecution for all intents and purposes by simply going across state lines. Okay. They would go from you know, from one state to the next, and then all of a sudden, the cops in that state couldn't chase after him. So after the Limberg kidnapping, the FBI Jaegerhover said, this is ridiculous. We need this to stop, and so he enacts what everybody else called the Limberg Law, so that if you took somebody across state lines, it becomes a federal offense and that the FBI can get involved, okay, And so that's how things changed. Kidnapping at that time was really really popular. It kind of you know, jumped in with bootlegging and you know, all the all these other big crimes at the time, and criminals started to come to the realization, this is a much safer way of making a buck. Grabbed somebody, hold on to him, offer ransom demands and just wait for the money to show up, and it usually worked, but after the Limberg Law came into effect, it didn't work so much anymore. In fact, the FBI, I mean, once the Limberg Law kicked in and the FBI really got involved in capturing capturing kidnappers, kidnappers failed almost every single time. But evidently Bill Mahon and Harmon Wiley didn't didn't know the statistics.
Speaker 5: To get back to George being grabbed by this man and thrown in a car, what happens next to him? And what does George have the the wherewithal to do as soon as he is great?
Speaker 4: Yeah, right, So they threw him in the backseat, throw a blanket over him, and mentioned, you know, keep your mouth shut, don't say anything, You'll be okay, And they drove about an hour north to an area outside of the Seattle area called Izaquah, now to a forest. Ironically, I don't know for a fact that there's a good chance that forest was actually owned by the Warehouser family. So they they Bill Mahan was hoping to kidnap some other guy, you know, weeks or months earlier, and he dug a hole out in the forest just for the purpose of keeping somebody stashed there. But then he realized the person he wanted to kidnap didn't have the money, and so he forgot about it. Well, now all of a sudden, he's got George Warehouser. That's where he's going to keep kids stashed. So this hole in the ground, which is basically the size of a grave. It's about six feet long and four feet deep, three feet wide, with some boards across the bottom. And they put George in the hole and they chained him up, and they threw some boards over the top and camouflaged it. And so George is sitting there for a couple of days, you know, and the pitch dark nine years old. And after the first day they realized, okay, because like hikers happened to be nearby, they discovered we got to move him. So they moved him to another hole in the ground in another forest. Then after about another day they went, okay, this is the things are getting too hot, because now it's on the front page everywhere, and it's on the radio everywhere. You know, It's literally on the front page of every newspaper in America, and the cops are fanning out all over the state looking for the rappers. I'm looking for George, and so they decided they want to take George back to Spokane. Now, during all this, Margaret is still oblivious. She has no idea that George has been kidnapped. She has no idea that her husband has part of because what's going on with this as well? So this is a funny thing. Build my hand, goes it back and gets Margaret drives her back out into the forest and she's like, why are we out here? And he goes, wait, I got to get your husband. And she's like, what's my husband doing out in the forest. So he says, shut up to sit here. He goes off in the forest. A few minutes later, her husband comes back with a flashlight. He gets in the car and says, Margaret, I need you to get on your hands and knees on the front seat and cover your head and then I'm going to fold the seat over you. She's like, what, he says, just shut up and do it. Okay, She gets on her hands and knees. He puts the seat over her head, and all of a sudden, she hears the trunk open and slam. She has no idea that George Warehouser had just been put in the trunk of the car, so they start driving back across the state. Halfway across the state, they stopped to get gas and Margaret hears a voice out of the trunk saying, hey, mister, can you let me out now? She freaks out, going, oh my god. All the puzzle pieces fall into place, and she realizes they'd got the kid who's on the front page of every paper in America. And then Bill Mahon pulls out a gun and says, you're going to keep your mouth shut or I kill you. I killed George, I kill your husband. So she keeps his mouth shut. They drive back to Spokane, where they've got that house. They rent a house again, Okay, the same house that they were in before. But here's what this is an interesting thing that nobody seems to understand why they did this. Driving back across the state, they went past Spokane. Spokane is really close to the Washington Idaho borders, literally just a few miles away. They drove across border into Idaho for like a few hours, and then drove back into Spokane again. No reason why, but because they did that, it officially became a federal offense. They didn't know that at the time, or if they did, they weren't saying why. So they rent this house from a pastor on a local pastor in Spokane, and the pastor had come over to the house saying, okay, I want you to take good care of my house and.
Speaker 5: Water my lawn.
Speaker 4: And they're like, yes, ma'am, of course, ma'am. Little ass. You know the twenty five feet away George Warehouser is locked in the closet, and that's where they kept George stashed away for the next five days.
Speaker 5: Now, meanwhile, you say that the family's getting this money together, they go to the uncles. They don't have any liquid assets. But also the press is clamoring for a story, and Hoover and the g men I've been told not to say anything, so they start speculating, they say, making up stuff and printing anything that they can possibly print. They're desperate, and there are somebody in the FBI, I guess is speaking about the Carpus Gang. Tell us about how the Carpus Gang gets to be number one suspects in this.
Speaker 4: Alvin Carpas, Alvin Creepy Carpas, was pretty much the last of the big time criminals that hadn't been killed or put in prison. Just a year before George had been kidnapped, Bonnie and Clyde had been gunned down, and John Dillinger had been gunned down and machine gun Kelly I can't remember he was shot or if he was put in prison, and Babyface Nelson, all these really famous criminals, they'd either been shot or they've been put in prison. So Carpus he and you've heard of Ma Barker, Okay, the Barker Carpus Gang. We're kind of last the big time criminals. And Carpus was really famous for doing a couple of really big kidnappings just you know, about a year earlier. So he was number one suspect. And back in those days, the newspapers never used the term allegedly. They just speculated and that was that. So they were putting articles out there that pretty much just plain simple set. It's clearly the Karpus gang. They're the ones that did it. They're guilty, they were the judge and jury, and it happened frequently, so that's why everybody just thought, oh, it must be the Carpus gang.
Speaker 5: Yeah. Now, meanwhile, there is contact by the family with this post intelligence or newspaper. So they're doing things abiding by these rules, and so they contact them and tell them, listen, we're going to be doing this. We're going to try to cooperate as much as we can. What happens in that regard.
Speaker 4: The kid right, So the family tells the FBI, back off, do not do anything until we make the money drop, and Hoover and the FBI agree. They said, okay, we'll sit back and minor p's and q's until the money has been exchanged, and then we jump into jump in the FBI mode and the family said okay. So George's dad is instructed to go stay at this hotel in downtown Seattle, and then the kidnapper, I think it might have been a camera for it was a domain. He comes up to this guy standing on a street corner at Cabby and says, hey, here's an envelope. I want you to take it to this hotel and for this name. Gives them two bucks. Guy says, sure, no problem. Inside there is the next instructions. Okay, So he goes to the hotel, hands it off, gives it to George's dad, and the instructions say okay, you're ready to make the money drip, because we saw in the paper that you had said we're ready to go sign Percy Mini. So the George's dad, they've got the two hundred thousand dollars in small, unmarked bills. Now give you a little backstory on that. That took a lot of doing to get the money. Then on top of it, the FBI had to they had to keep a record of every single serial number. That's twenty thousand serial numbers for all this money, and that took them over four thousand man hours to do and they only had five days to pull that off.
Speaker 5: A lot of.
Speaker 4: People, a lot of people were working on this, in fact, a full seven percent of the entire FBI. We're in Seattle and Tacoma for this case. So they collect all of these ransom all these are ransom bill serial numbers, and got them, you know, fifty five pages, you know, seven columns with fifty numbers per column, and just a booklet of these numbers. Okay, So now George's dad has got this suitcase full of money, and the letter from the kidnapper said you will drive to this location and you will go to this abandoned house, and in the yard you'll find a little stick of wood with a piece of white fabric attached to it like a flag. And under that you'll find a tin can, and inside the tin can you'll find a note that'll instruct you to the next place. So this is playing out like a Hollywood movie at this point. Okay, like a Bogie film. So his dad drives out there by himself, and he goes to this abandoned house and he sees in the yard this little stick of wood, and he finds the note inside of the tin can, and it says go to this next location. So he drives to the next location, to another place, another little piece of wood with another flag, except there's no tin can and there's no note. He's freaking out because the ransombody is due that night or else. He's crawling around on his hands and knees in the dark with matches and looking for it. After a couple hours, he gives up. He heads back to the hotel. The next morning, the kidnappers call, pissed off, saying, hey, where's our money, And he's like, I tried, the second note wasn't there, And they went all right with and give you one more chance. So they gave him new instructions. So that night he goes to a new location again the same same drill, who infant repeat. They find a flag, they find the tin can, they find a note, they take to another one, et etc. Finally, the last note says, park your car, leave the dome light on, leave the money in the back seat, start walking back down the road. His dad does this. After he's about one hundred yards away, he hears a noise behind him, looks back, sees somebody jump out of the bushes, jump into the car and drive away. Bill Mahon now two hundred thousand dollars. So he drives to this abandoned well amount of bandon a shack that he had Margaret waiting for him with and he brings back the money. And now they'd got the money. So then they head back to Spokane and they've got two hundred thousand bucks. And now it's time to hand over George.
Speaker 5: That Jesus as an opportunity to stop for to hear from our sponsor with his ritual gaps in the diet shouldn't be ignored. Over ninety seven percent of women age nineteen to fifty are not getting enough vitamin D from their diet, and ninety five percent are not getting their recommended daily intake of key omega threes. Ritual's Essential for Women eighteen plus multivitamin was formulated by exhaustive research to help fill nutrient gaps in the diets of women ages eighteen plus. Is formulated with nutrients to help support brain health, bone health, blood health, and provide antioxidant support. But Richual didn't stop there. They invested in a gold standard university led clinical trial to prove the impact of Essential for Women eighteen plus multivitamin. The results Essential for Women eighteen plus was shown to increase vitamin D levels by forty three percent in omega three DHA levels by forty one percent in twelve weeks. I've been taking Ritual for about a year now, and I started when my wife had been taking Ritual Essential for Women for about two years and she felt it had made a significant difference in her daily routine. So when it became available for men and teens, I took Ritual fifty plus and I've been taking it for about a year and I feel it's made a significant difference in my daily routine. Right now, ritual is offering my listeners ten percent sent off your first three months? Is it ritual dot com slash murder and turn healthy habits into a ritual? That's ten percent off at ritual dot com slash murder. Now we talked about that Bill Mahon and Harmon, but mill Mahon had in his possession two hundred thousand dollars and they had stipulated they won him in twenties, certain denominations, in twenty certain number of twenties, tens and fives. Despite their demands. How difficult was it going to be to spend any of that money? And what was the plan for Mahon and Harmon in regards to that money being spent?
Speaker 4: Well, that's that was again part of their undoing their They weren't as smart as they thought they were because they said they don't want they want small unmarked bills. All right, well, fine, let's see does it have an unmarked bill? You don't have to put a mark on it. But as long as you've got the serial number, then that you know, if the money shows up, that can be they can be traced. And I guess they didn't really think that far in advance. Again, they weren't the sharpest tools in the shed. And as I'll get to a little bit down the road here when we're talking about this, that was their undoing. Yeah, they that they tried to not spend it, but they couldn't. They didn't They didn't have money tucked away for spending money for like a six month period, which is what they should have done. Okay, So they eventually had to spend some and that's how the FBI eventually caught up with them. Like I said, we'll chat about that here in a few minutes.
Speaker 5: Let's let's talk about Margaret herself. Now, in the beginning, she's beyond naive to not see certain thing, but at some point she is, like you say, she puts it together when she hears the boy's voice talking about is it time to get out of this trunk hair, mister? So she puts it all together. Then she's threatened. So she now, no matter how naive she was before, knows exactly what's gone on and what she's been a participant in. So how does she act now that they have some money and tell us about this split and where the two perpetrators went after?
Speaker 4: Right, So after they drop off George which is a great story. I'll get to here in just a minute. But after they drop off George and they kind of go their separate ways. Margaret and Harmon go their separate way and Domahan goes his separate way. And actually, once they go their separate ways, they never see each other again. Period. That was the last they ever saw.
Speaker 5: Of each other.
Speaker 4: So Margaret and Harmon got about ninety five thousand dollars in Mayhon took like one hundred and five or something to that effect. So he says, okay, you and see Harmon and Margaret, you guys go to Salt Lake City if you want. That's fine because that's where she's from. And he says, I'm just going to go my own way. So they whipped up this plan where they gave her two suitcases. You know, again, Margaret being Margaret, she's not very She's very naive, very trusting, and also not very smart. So Harmon says, here, takes take this suitcase, and you're gonna take the train to Salt Lake City and I'm going to join you when I get down, and I'll bring the money with me. She doesn't realize that she's got that ninety five thousand dollars in a suitcase with her. She doesn't realize it. She's sitting there on the train with her feet propped up on top of the suitcase. What she also doesn't realize is that Harmon is on the train and he's spying on her. She thinks that he's not coming until the next day, but he actually went on the same train to keep an eye on her. So she gets down to the Salt Lake City. Harmon shows up there the next day and they rent a house and they start going about their business. So that's and again she's she knows what's happened, she knows what they did was wrong, but she was also terrified of Bill Mahon and his gun, and so she just went along stupidly or naively or just because she was terrified, you know, I'm not sure which it was probably a little bit of all three. And so yeah, that was the fall of Margaret.
Speaker 5: Let's get back to George, because even though the family followed the instructions of the kidnappers, they did a little change in the procedure at the end. So tell us about George. And what was amazing about this story is, and we'll talk about this a little bit later about the trauma. But right away in the beginning, we're struck by how calm George is. He's not screaming or yelling, and and it's attributed to you write in the book what the kidnappers had said to him, and then the treatment by those kidnappers. So how was it that George, at nine years old had the wherewithal and the ability to be able to handle this. What was his source of optimism in his mind?
Speaker 4: Well, I think it was a couple of things. First off, they you know, he's nine years old, and he will frequently, you know, nine years old will believe what adults will tell them. You know, they're very trusting. And they said, you know, keep your mouth shut and we won't hurt you, all right, So he's going to keep his mouth shut so they won't hurt him. And then another thing happened Bill Mahan when George was this kid was blindfolded and taken off into the forest. At one point they went across the stream. George hears the water and he's thinking, are they going to toss me in the river? Are they going to toss me in the stream whatever and drown me? Because they're done with me, and he asked, you know Mayhem that, hey, mister, are you going to throw me in the river and drown me? And Mayhand said, kid, You're worth too much alive. And I think that's when George realized, Okay, as long as I keep quiet, I'm worth something to them. And so he just kept quiet. And Harmon Whaley, you know, Harmon was kind of watched watch took care of George for the five days back in Spokane while Mayhan mardered or making trips back and forth. And according to George, Harmon was okay with him. He didn't treat him poorly. He was a reasonable man, is what he said. And so, yeah, George, that was the reason George hung in there because he trusted that nothing was going to happen to him. So now let's talk about how George has dropped off, because this is a great part of the story. So they're driving back from Spokane and driving back, Mayhean and Whaley are discussing where are we going to drop off George because they hadn't really thought that far in advance. Again, a not the smartest, sharpest tools in the shed. So they finally realized, let's drop them back off in the forest, near that hole in the ground where we kept him a week earlier. So they take him up this old timber road and they drop them off by this I wouldn't even call it a shack. It's just a glorified lean to. And they said, okay, George, here's a blanket, here's a dollar. We're going to leave you here. Your dad's gonna come pick you up. And they drove away. It's midnight, okay, and he's they just dropped this nine year old off on a timber road and pitch dark out in the forest and it's raining. So George is sitting there in the rain, in the dark for a couple hours, and he finally his dad's not coming. He doesn't know that though, because his dad doesn't even know where he's been dropped off. He doesn't even know that he has been dropped off. So after a while, George goes, this is stupid. I've had enough of this, and so he starts walking and he walks from miles and he finally comes across this old farmer's house. It's about six o'clock in the morning. He's drenched and knocks on the door and the farmer opens the door and there's this soaking wet kid standing on their front porch and he says, Hi, I am George Warehouser. Can you take me to my folks? So this farmer answers the door, and the kid who's been on the front page or every newspaper in America just magically appeared on his front porch. Oh my gosh, it's George Warehouser. They throw them in their model Tea and they take off, taking him back to Tacoma. About halfway between Izaquah and Tacoma is called renting. They get about as far as renting, and the farmer pulls over, goes to a gas station and makes the phone call of the Warehousers, because evidently you can just grab a phone book and call these really rich people because their numbers looking listed. So they called the Warehouser house and the FBI had this elaborate phone system set up just for this phone call. And the phone system failed, utterly, completely failed. The FBI agent that's at the house, here's the phone ring. He's supposed to wait for it to ring five times or something to that effect. I forget exactly what it was, but it rang once and then it was silent, and the FBI agent picked it up and he listens in the dead silence. There's nothing. The farmer on his end, it's his ringing and ringing and ringing, and he let it ring for four minutes long, and then nobody's picking it up, and finally he gets set up and he hangs up the phone. So then he calls the police. Now this is where this is really interesting, and it depends on who you believe. You either believe the reporter or you believe the FBI. So now the reporters have been camped out at the Warehouser House for days, waiting for their big break. Media circus, all right. In fact, the Warehouser House had become like this tourist attraction, cars lined up down the road, people stealing flowers out of their yard as soon and ears. So the reporters they get wind that George has been released, but they don't know any particulars. Now, the reporter a guy by the name of John Drer. He was a golf reporter for the Seattle Times, and he claims that he got a tip from his publisher that George had been released in uh and like in Zaqua and was driving back in a Model T through rent from Renting. Okay, that's what he claims. Now here's what the FBI says. The FBI claims that the reporter was in the Tacoma police station and overheard the phone call between the farmer and the police officer, and he went, Okay, the kid is coming this way in it. So the reporter gets a cab, tells the cabby head for Renton, we're going to try to intercept George before the FBI. And so they drive down the highway. Now, granted is in nineteen thirty five, there's not a lot of cars on the road, and sure enough they see it and Modeled T come in the other direction and they see George in the front seat. So you know, the reporter's like, there he is there, he is, go get him. Cabby spins around, drives up, pulls alongside him, waving at him like they're trying to pull the car over. The Model he pulls over. The reporter jumps out of the Model and jumps out of the Cabby, runs over, insinuates to the farmer that he's with the police when he's not, gives the farmer five bucks farmer hands George over. No questions asked to this stranger could have been another kidnapper, hands George over. The reporter puts George in the back seat of the cab below the window level, gets in the back seat on the floorboards below the window level, tells the cab you drive back to George's house, take your time, go on back roads, and then he interviews George for like the Biggest Scoop Pulitzer Prize you know, wasn't a winner, but it was a nominator fort Pulitzer Prize for thismongous, humongous scoop. That's on the front page the next morning. So then they get to George's house, George is reunited with his family, everybody who is crazy, everybody's all excited, and then becomes the greatest man hunt in Northwest history.
Speaker 5: That Jesus Opportunit is stuff for second for these commercials.
Speaker 1: Hey guys, it is Ryan. I'm not sure if you know this about me, but I'm a bit of a fun fanatic one.
Speaker 3: I can.
Speaker 1: I like to work, but I like fun too.
Speaker 2: It's a thing.
Speaker 1: And now the truth is out there, I can tell you about my favorite place to have fun. Chumba Casino. They have hundreds of social casino style games to choose from, with new games released each week. You can play for free anytime, anywhere, and each day brings a new chance to collect daily bonuses. So join me and the fun. Sign up now at Chumba Casino dot com. No, we're necessary daily void where everybody lost in terms conditions eating.
Speaker 5: Plus you talk about this biggest man hunt in Northwest history. Part of that is as obviously tracking these bills. So as we talked about it was their undoing. It's interesting that Margaret spends some of that money and very little of it. But again, in this primitive laundering technique, you take a twenty dollars bit when you buy something for a few cents, twenty five cents, tell us about this undoing. And meanwhile, while the authorities are on their trail.
Speaker 4: Correct, So the FBI are just waiting. They're just waiting for that first bill to show up because they know it's going to happen eventually, and sure enough it does. Harmon had used one of the bills to get a train ticket, and for whatever reason, the guy who who sold him the ticket, he didn't recognize him as a kidnapper. He just remembered him, like the hat he was wearing or the cody was wearing. From whatever reason, the guy happened to remember that, and he remembered that the that he bought a train ticket to Salt Lake City. And then Margaret, she's got some of the bills and she goes to like a store called Cress's Cress and she buys some stuff. Then she goes to a Woolworths and she decides she's going to buy a a cigarette case for her dad for his birthday, a twenty cent cigarette case, and she gives them five bucks. Now, back in those days, a lot of stores don't do the exchange right there at the counter. They take the money and they go back to what's called a cash cage where they've got a person back there. So they take the five dollar bill. They go back to the cash cage. They give the five bucks over to that woman and she's got one of those booklets that has all the serial members and she just, you know, force a habit, flip flip flip, flip flip big and go it's one of the bills. Oh my gosh, this is a ransom bill. She calls the police. In short order, the police arrive and they grab Margaret and it doesn't take long for her to crack, and it doesn't take long before they nab Harmon as well. And there you go. They've got two of the kidnappers right there on the spot and they take them off to be you know, to be sent before the judge. Word gets out that Harmon and Murder had been busted. And Bill Mayhan he for whatever reason I think he was, he went down to Salt Lake City also, I'm not sure exactly why, and he heard that his compatriots have been busted, so he high tails it to Butte, Montana. The next morning, he's standing on a street corner seven o'clock in the morning. He looks across the street and there's a police officer and the cop is staring at him, and he's staring at the cop and the cop keeps staring at him. Well, Bill Mayhan starts getting nervous, thinking, okay, he's on to me, and he takes off running. Well, the police officer didn't recognize him as a kidnapper because he had no idea Bill Mayhan was one of the kidnappers. The cop recognized him because he'd arrested Bill Mayhan three years earlier, so pure chance, he sees the guy that he'd arrested, and now the guy that he'd a rerect makes a break for it, so he goes chasing after him. Bill Mayhan jumps over the fence of this yard, in this yard, and there's a guard dog in the yard, all right, and the cop jumps over the fence as well. Mayhean has run past the guard dog. So the guard dog turns on the cop. The CoP's got to make a choice. Okay, shoot the dog and capture the guy who running away from him, or not shoot the dog. He chooses to not shoot the dog, and as a result, Bill Mayhan escapes for another year. So now we get to Margaret and Harmon. I'm back taken back to Tacoma and they're going before the judge. Harmon guilty, I'm guilty. I'm guilty. I'm guilty. Fine, forty five years. They're going to Alcatraz. That's it. Margaret guilty, guilty, guilty, But Harmon says, wait a minute, she's not guilty. She didn't know anything about it. She didn't participate other than going along with it. Once you found out about it. But she never even saw George, which is true, she never once saw him. They'd make sure they'll always keep her, keep her, uh, you know, out of sight of George. So the judge says, wait a minute, you want to plead guilty, but you didn't really participate in the kidnapping. And she's like yes, He's like, why would you do that? She's like, I can't imagine my life. Well, my husband is in prison, me being free. And the judge thinks, you know that's this is stupid. No, no, no, no, no no, you are going to plead not guilty and it's going to go to trial, and that's what he forced her to do. And then it became this enormous trial in Seattle. Enormous trial, biggest trial in Seattle history at this point, huge, huge, huge, huge, and would you like me to chat chat chat about that right now? So Margaret, Margaret as her defendant, as her public defender, is this really talented lawyer who is the former mayor of Seattle, and he was smart enough to realize that she's got no prayer, she's got no chance, and so he portrays her. This is his defense. He portrays her as the stupidest person on the planet, as a total moron, a complete idiot who would jump off the building if her husband told her to, and he's on her side. Okay, And poor Margaret, you know, the media are saying things like they're describing her as plane and plump. No woman weighed one hundred and twenty pounds, you know, but they just basically saw her as a figure of pity. And you know, they go through while this trial is going on. Meanwhile in the Seattle, at Tacoma, all the Puget Sound area, there's a massive timber strike going on, and there are riots in the streets, and there's tear gas and there's National guardsmen with bayonets and people are getting shot and cars are being dynamited. All this is playing on in the backdrop of this massive trial. So, like I said, this thing's playing out like a movie. Okay. And so finally, you know, they the jury, which this is interesting too, They list, you know, they describe every person on the jury. They describe if as a man, if it's a woman, what their name is, what they do for a living, and where they live, all right, And they even described it as a better looking than most jury in the NewsPage. So the jury goes off and in short order they come back and they say Margaret's guilty, and she's guilty, but not to the same degree that Harmon and Bill Mayhon. Arm So she gets twenty years in the work farm and she says, I count the days till I'll be back, you know, with my husband Harmon. Blah blah blah blah. That lasted about twelve hours. While she's being taken back East Michigan. On the way back, she's like, that jerk. Everything bad that's happened to me is because of him. I am swearing off men for the rest of my life. The day she gets out of prison, she divorced harm So Harmon gets forty five years in prison. Bill Mayhon gets sixty years in Alcatraz, and they're also there at the same time that al Capone is there. And evidently Harmon, who was a small time, petty criminal and according to George is a very reasonable guy, he became kind of a heart and criminal and he got into fistfights with al Capone and stuff like that while he was there.
Speaker 5: And they both made it to Alcatraz, and they talk about McNeil's Island and I've I've heard about this prison and then Alcatraz. They call it the Rocks, And so they were, as you say, Harmon turned into a leader involved in one of the riots at Alcatraz, correct as well?
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, they were both at McNeil Island, which is up and imputed Sound in Washington State for like a year if even that, before they were sent down to Alcatraz. In fact, I think Bill Mayhon he went to like Levenworth, and he went to a few prisons before he went to Alcatraz, but he spent the vast majority of his time at Alcatraz. And I think I think Mayhan served twenty five years of his forty before he was released. Margaret did, I think fourteen years of her twenty before she was released. And I can't remember how many Mayhan served, but it was a pretty good chunk.
Speaker 5: Mm hmmm. You had the great opportunity to speak to George Warehouser in twenty nineteen. Was he and how did you manage to be able to get an interview with him and tell us about that?
Speaker 4: Yeah? That was interesting. It was really hard tracking him down, as a matter of fact, it took me quite a while, but I finally found a phone number and I called it and it was a voicemail that they would check like once a week, and I left a message saying, Hi, George, my name is Brian Jobston, the local author, and I would love to be able to chat with you about your kidnapping, unless it's a really uncomfortable subject. Because whenever I'd read any articles about the Warehouser kidnapping, there would be always be some family members saying George doesn't like to talk about the kidnapping. So I really didn't expect to get anything. So about three days later I got a voicemail from George saying, Brian, this is George Warehouser. Happy to chat with you. It happened a long time ago, not an uncomfortable subject at all. I'm like, holy crap. So I call it the back up and he agrees to sit down with me. So I prived down to his house and they was in a very nice house, you know, it's not like a humongous mansion or anything. And he's sitting out on the back porch by the lake and I start chatting with him and I'm like, George, how old are you? Anyway, says Brian, I'll be ninety four next week, and I'm like, oh, man, I should look so good when I'm ninety four. So we go inside the house and he and his daughter sit there and we chat for a couple hours, and he's just delightful. He still remembered a fair amount of things. He was pretty sharp, some things you know, that were hard for him to remember. Granted it was eighty five years since the kidnapping. But I was asking him things like, you know, I was asking him like shorts, I mean, did you have any really bad you know, PTSD after this? Did you have stress or nightmares? He's like, Nope, none at all, really, nope, none at all. Okay, did when you were after you were returned, did your parents just bring clamps down on you and drive you everywhere and just hover over you. Nope, not at all. They wanted me to get back to normal life as quickly as possible. They let me walk to school again. I'm like, you got to be kidding me. So that's the kind of stuff we just chatted about, you know, I asked him, I said, now, when you're in college, this has got to be the best pickup line in history. You gotta talk to girls saying, yeah, I'm George Warehouser. You probably heard of me. I got kidnapped once and he said, nope, nope, never did it once. Like this is nuts. I can't believe this. But which then takes us. Boy, I'm wondering if I should give away the this ending. It's such a remarkable ending, it's such an uplifting ending. But I'm I'm wondering. I'm wondering aloud now if I should give it away a play or not. But it's such a it's such a great story. But I guess my my thinking on it is, you know, when I want to go see the movie Titanic, I knew that the that was going to sink, but I still enjoyed the movie anyway.
Speaker 5: Absolutely absolutely should should I give away this great ending or not? Well, Brian, you know the thing is to back it up, to give it a little bit more context to this, to this end incredible ending. Is that when Harmon was sentenced, you write that he wrote letters to George, So tell us about what he wrote to George, what sentiment he expressed in those letters to George, and then what happened when Harmon was released from prison?
Speaker 4: So yeah, during the years that Harmon he would write letters, very apologetic letters to George. For years he was just you know, I'm so sorry about what happened, and you know, I really never meant you any harm et cetera, et cetera. So he did this numerous times while he was in prison. So then twenty five years after the kidnapping, George, by this time is, you know, thirty three years old, thirty four years old, and he's just a couple of years short of becoming the president and CEO of this massive corporation. And he gets a phone call and he answers the phone and it's Harmon Whaley. He says, Hi, George, this is Harmon Whaley. I just got out of prison. I could sure use a job. And George hired him. George hired his kidnapper.
Speaker 5: Straordinary, It's unbelievable.
Speaker 4: And I said, George, wait, wait, you hired your kidnapper. He says, yeah. I think my dad would have thought it was nuts. And I went, yeah, why would you do that? And he said, well, when I was kidnapped and he was looking after me, he was a reasonable man, and it had been a long time, and he struck me still as a reasonable man, and I simply thought he would appreciate it, and I was it. That was his reasoning.
Speaker 5: Extraordinary. He also said to you. You asked him his age, and he said almost ninety four. And he said and he said listen, yes, he said, I'm ninety four. You better write fast, because he was talking about your boy. You better write fast.
Speaker 4: That's exactly what he said. He said, Brian, how long is it going to take you to write this book? And I said, I've had to write it and find an agent and find a publisher and go to the whole rigam role. I said probably two years. And he said, Brian, I'm almost ninety four, right fast.
Speaker 5: Yeah, And I imagine George is still with us today.
Speaker 4: He is, he is, he's ninety six years old. He's doing okay. He's got dementia and the fan, but he's still he's still hanging around. He's had a very good life and the family is obviously very protective of him and still keep a very low profile whenever they can.
Speaker 5: Yes, And it's incredible in your book too, when you get George goes to trial and testifies at that trial, it's again extraordinary exchanges at this trial.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I always had the pleasure to go through the court transcripts, and so you know, in the book there are times where there are conversations that I didn't know exactly what was being said, but I simply extrapolated based on my research and what I knew of the characters and what they would talk about and what they would say. But in the courtroom, everything in the book, any words, any conversations in the courtroom are taken verbatim. Everything you see on the printed page is exactly what was said in the courtroom.
Speaker 5: Yes, well, it's an extraordinary story and a remarkable book that you've written. Deep in the Woods the nineteen thirty five kidnapping of nine year old George Warehouser, heir to America's mightiest timber dynasty. For those people that might want to check out more about this book, do you have a Facebook page or website to tell us more about this?
Speaker 4: Well, yeah you can. I mean I've got a I've got a website, Brian R. Johnston.
Speaker 5: But you know, but.
Speaker 4: You can, honestly, you can just you know, go to Barnes and Noble, got an Amazon, go to any bookstore and you'll be able to find it. You can order it, you know, pretty much anywhere at this point in time. But that's that's your best place to find information that you can just type in Deep in the Woods Georgia Warehouser and something will come up about it.
Speaker 5: And what's what's the release date for this, Brian?
Speaker 4: It just came out this earlier this week, as a matter of fact, actually last week, last Tuesday. It was just last Tuesday, so it was the fourteenth.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yes, here we go.
Speaker 4: Yep.
Speaker 5: Well, thank you so much Brian Johnston for coming on and talking about Deep in the Woods nineteen thirty five kidnapping of nine year old George Warehouser, hair to America's mightiest timber dynasty. It's been an absolute pleasure of Brian. Thank you so much. You have a great evening.
Speaker 4: Thank you, Dan, I appreciate it very much. Good night,