Speaker 1: Welcome to the Big Blue Insider. Dick Gabriel with you on the snowy, icy Monday edition of our show. And no it's not the Mark Pope Show obviously because the Wildcats are already in Georgia. That's where they play tomorrow night. As you know, a game you will hear right here on six thirty WLAP. So the Pope Show is going to be on Wednesday, as will be be in radio, as will the Kenny Brooks Show. So we just kind of flip flopped those days and we'll be with you. But also today our usual Wednesday lineup which includes Gary Moore or West End Bureau Chief and Shawn Woods, the Unforgettable Guard. They talked to us every Wednesday. We're going to talk to them tonight. And Sean texted me right after the game. Of course he was all about Lamont Butler when we talked last week. Of course, Shawn is quite partial to point guards, which is understandable and very proud of what Lamont Butler did and has been doing for the Wildcats. And he also was fair in his comments after the Ohio State loss up in New York. He said Ohio State's point guards outplayed Kentucky's point guards. So keep in mind, and we all know this, no kerk Crisa, but once again, in lieu of the number two point guard, the number three guys getting more minutes, and that's Travis Perry. So we'll talk about that when we break down the numbers as well. But we'll talk with Sean about that, and we'll talk with Gary Moore about what's going on with the NFL and with college football. And by the way, tonight we're gonna talk more football in our next segment. But tonight the FCS championship game Montana State, the Grizzlies against North Dakota State. And I'm telling you, if you've been disappointed in the Division I playoff games, and I can understand that. And by the way, keep in mind, there are bad games. There have been bad games throughout the decades in terms of the postseason games in college football, bowl games or the BCS games in the NFL. Are been terrible playoff games. That just happens. But I would be amazed if tonight's FCS game that's the old one double A, I'd be amazed if that's not a great game. That's the level where EKU plays where Western Kentucky used to play. But you know, AKU as a couple of national titles to its credit from back in the late eighties early nineties, four straight appearances in the championship game, and then things tailed off a little bit when the administration pulled its support from uk or Eku athletics. That's a long story, but anyhow, they're on the way back, I believe, under wal wells Eku, but not quite where Montana State and North Dakota State are. So if you want to see an entertaining football game and there's no NFL tonight, NFL regular season ended yesterday, so check that game out tonight ahead of the rest to the Division I playoff games. It is Black Monday, if you will, and Black Friday is good for people who are shopping ahead of Christmas looking for deals. Merchants make a lot of money, a lot of stores make their budgets. Black Mondays when coaches get fired. So we'll talk about that as well. And there will be some Kentucky Wildcats or former Wildcats affected by these moves. But we got to talk about both Kentucky women's and men's basketball, and why don't we start chronologically start with the men who beat Florida one oh six to one hundred, and got a message via Facebook from my buddy Chuck Cooperstein, who is the radio voice of the Dallas Mavericks but is a proud Florida Gator, and in fact, when that playbook play job opened up, he might have become the voice of the Gators. But Chuck has been the radio voice of Dallas Mavericks for so long. He and I worked together when I was down there in Dallas, I hired him. He was working for KROLD Radio doing scores. It was an all news station that did a ton of sports, including Cowboy games, and Chuck was a scores guy and a sportscast guy and snacks and playbook play gigs. And when the Mavericks job opened up at one point, he got the job and he's been there ever since, got himself a championship ring, and he's a good dude and a great talent. And he hit me up with a note saying that he kind of wished his team and did free throws instead. It was a great game, not unlike an NBA game, but wished his team and did free throws. And you know what, He's exactly right now. When Clayton starts missing free throws, you know it's a good day for the Wildcats. But Clayton had thirty three, Martin had twenty six. But between them, those guys were twelve for twenty at the free throw line as a team. Oh yeah, and Condon three for eight As a team. Florida was twenty two of thirty five. And I'm trying not trying to diminish Kentucky's win in any way. I'm just pointing out that this scene could have gone the other way. But guess what, that's the way it's going to be in the SEC every night. And I went back yesterday. I was at the game, went back yesterday and watched the ESPN coverage with Schulman and Billis. That's the best crew working for my money today. And I know I had wrote about this on the internet not long ago that I don't understand why so many of you disliked j Billis he had. He does not have a bias, you know, He's toward Duke or the ACC or whatever, and as enormous respect for Kentucky, and he loved what he saw Saturday. If you weren't watching, or if you were listening to the radio, God bless you, or if you're at the game. Both of these guys were so impressed with you all, with the fan base, with rupp Arena, great crowd, great atmosphere, and as they pointed out off the top, from the very beginning of the day eleven am start, you all showed up and showed out. And when the games begin, if at a non conference game, oftentimes there are spaces of empty seats and eventually they might fill in, people might move down from upstairs, and some folks just may not show up for the Kentucky Brown game. But buddy, buddy, everybody showed for that one and they were treated with a great basketball game. Yeah, Florida misshots, Yeah Kentucky made some mistakes, but it was a great basketball game. Such good shooting. Kentucky for the game. For the game shot fifty seven point eight percent. Incredible, hit sixteen of twenty seven that's fifty nine percent in the second half a loon. Florida for the game hit fifty five percent in the second half sixty two percent. And there was defense. Yeah, they played defense, but guys made shots, especially Clayton that shot he hit to beat the clock with a hand in his face from three point land late in the game. They kept Florida in. It was unbelievable. But how about Kobe Braa, Boy, do I sound like Caliperi? How about Kobe Brea eight of eleven, seven of nine from distance.
Speaker 2: Anything, whatever they need, Like, I'm going to be that guy.
Speaker 3: So you're gonna come in and get some energy.
Speaker 4: So I think, you know, we've been up to pretty slow starts on the last couple of games, and you know, just for me to come in and you know, kind of change.
Speaker 5: That around a little bit throughout these games. I think it's been helping us a lot.
Speaker 1: And and Billis kept saying you cannot leave him open, and yet Florida kept losing him. That's the thing about Clayton about Kentucky did a pretty good job covering him. He was six of twelve from beyond the arc. Seemed like he shot better, but it seemed like couple times, yeah, he shook loose, and same with Martin. But for whatever reason, the Gators kept losing Kobe bre And you know, and Billis pointed this out. Every team in America will say this about Kobe Bret. You cannot leave him open, and yet the Gators did a terrible job trying to check him. Terrible job, and Kentucky made the Gators pay. It's not going to be that easy relative term tomorrow night and from here on for Brea and for the rest of the Cats. Everybody knows that teams will try to run them off the three point line, and Florida did it early, but Kentucky did a much better job of capitalizing on buckets they could get inside, and that opened things up from the outside. Cats ended up hitting fourteen of twenty nine, that's forty eight percent, and Almanor was oh for three. He had some good looks from beyond the arc, so minus him, they're well over fifty percent. And Jackson Robinson was just two of six from the outside, but that's good enough. Two for six from three point land, that's fine. Anything after that's gravy. One of the best stat lines Lamont Butler. He was one of six Wildcats in double figures.
Speaker 4: Well, we got a lot of great guys on the team.
Speaker 2: Everyone contributed at a high rate, and you know tonight how we contributed was scoring.
Speaker 3: You know, like you said, a bunch.
Speaker 6: Of guys you knows had a double dission, so I'm gona stop reguard.
Speaker 1: That's when you can't really focus on one guy.
Speaker 5: I think that's what's gonna help us throughout the year.
Speaker 1: Thirty three minutes, eight assists, nineteen points, two turnovers. In fact, turnovers to me d won the game for Kentucky because the Wildcats only turned it over six times, and when the other guys are shooting the way they are, you can't give them free possessions. Florida only turned it over nine Clayton had five of those turnovers, but points off turnovers Florida four points, Kentucky twenty. So between free throws missed by the Gators and Kentucky taking advantage of those mistakes, you see how Kentucky won it despite the fact that the Gators had fifteen offensive rebounds and thirty one points on second chance tries. Out rebound in Kentucky thirty eight to thirty. You talk about a learning experience for Mark Pope and his team. There's a lot to go over and you know they'll take full advantage of it. Meanwhile, UK women go down to Nashville and win easily over Vanderbilt. Kenny Brooks's team getting it done and this after the impressive win over Mississippi State on Thursday night. So the Cat's now two to zero in the SEC, thirteen in one in conference play, and next up for them Florida Gators in Gainesville. That's Thursday. That's a five o'clock start, and you're gonna hear that one right here on six thirty WLAP. When we come back, we'll look around the NFL. As they said, it's Black Monday, coaches on their way out there packing up here on the Big Moon Sider, six thirty WLAP. Welcome back to the Big bon Sider. Coming up in a few minutes. We're gonna talk with Sean Woods, the unforgettable guard. We talk Kentucky basketball with him each and every week, and Gary Moore Bureau CHIEAP. But on Wednesday, that is the night we do the State Wide Show and the Mark Pope Show and Big Blue Nation, BBN Radio NI Kenny Brookshaw and all that. So our programming is flip flop. We're going to talk to our Wednesday guests tonight. We're also going to talk tonight with Mark Mathis. He's a longtime friend from the Owensboro Messenger has been covering Kentucky Sports for a long time, and in fact sat next to each other at the ballgame the other day. So we'll get caught up with Mark and get his thoughts on the game as well. I mentioned football, and by the way, we'll talk about coaches here in just a moment. But the portal door is still spinning, and I commend you to two four to seven sports coverage. Aaron Gershaan keeps updating the UK football transfer portal target Tracker, and you can find out more about the defensive tackle from Washington State who committed to Kentucky over the weekend story written actually by Chris Fisher. Of course, UK trying to find a way to replace Dion Walker and Keyshawn Silver in the middle of their defense. But a guy named David Gusta committed to UK after looking at Texas, A and M and Tennessee and uh, I have no idea if this guy's any good or not, but he's sixty three or yeah, sixty three three h two was rated the number three defensive linemen in the portal this offseason, rated by two four to seven Sports, and again he has some really really big cleats to fill. Not that Dion I thought had a great year. But he was good. I mean, you know, he tied up a lot of blocks, but the D line was just riddled with injuries and it made it a lot easier I think relative term for teams to uh to handle him. Uh. Kentucky, we host Tamarcus Cooley later this week. That's according to two four seven Sports, three seasons of eligibility. He's a d back again from ENC State, gonna look at Ole Miss LSU and Miszoo originally was recruited by Maryland, ended up at NC State this past year. So Kentucky's still trying to add defensive backs after losing of course, after this year, Maxwell Hairston, of course he'll get a shot at the NFL. Andrew Phillips in the NFL, now Carrington Valentine in the NFL. They do get Nichols back and he's going to be a good one in the defensive secondary. So now they're looking at Coolie, who was rated an eighty seven on a scale of one hundred by two four to seven Sports. So Kentucky's still trying to build depth through that portal. Black Monday coaches out Mike Rabel interviewing. Now he has sat out the season after being fired by the Titans, so he'll get a lot of attention. But the Jacksonville Jaguars after three years, fired Doug Peterson. You got it done in Philly with much better players, and they seemed to draft well in Jacksonville, but their teams were terrible. They kept Trent Balky the GM. So now who is Josh Allen the UK Josh Allen going to be playing for next year? The first round draft pick out of Kentucky for the Jaguars. You remember, now three teams had already fired their coaches. The Bears fired Matt ebra Flus, the Saints fired Dennis Allen, the Jets fired Robert Salah, New England Patriots fired Jared Mayo. And I mentioned Wildcats being affected. And two you might have seen him last night as the Lions destroyed the Viking. Josh Pascal and Zadarius Smith in the starting lineup last night for the injury riddled Detroit defense. Well, there's a lot of interest in the Lions decordinator Aaron Glenn. The Jets supposedly will interview him and not the Lions OC Ben Johnson. That he's getting a lot of attention as well, but there's a distinct possibility that the Lions oc and again he's playing Pascal and Zadarius Smith together, two former Wildcats. So he may be gone after this year from Detroit. Broncos de coordinator Vanced Joseph also getting interest evidently from the Jets and the Bears. But because of the job that Mark Stoops and Vince Merrill and staff have done over the last few years, there are a lot of former Wildcats in the NFL, not quite like Kentucky basketball in the NBA. I know that's a sore spot for a lot of people, but it goes to show why Stoops and company have had success up until this year. They evaluated, they recruited, they signed, they developed and won with outstanding players, and they got some breaks through the portal Will Levis, who was still struggling in the NFL, he may become a backup for life. I think he may end up leaving Nashville after this year, because you know, Vrabel was fired by the Titans. He did not support the move of handing the keys of the Cadillac to will Levis. He wasn't ready to do that. Disagreed with ownership and management. They got rid of him, and Levis ends up the starter and it has not worked. And he got benched again yesterday through a forty nine yard touchdown pass. But he was benched again yesterday. They may end up cutting him loose to save some money. Now, can he work his way back as did Sam Darnold, as did well Jared Goff for the Lions was struggling before they traded him. But uh, look at Baker Mayfield. Look out, Well he's done in Tampa. You got to give him the right team. I don't think that's the problem with Levis because he keeps making the same mistake. He keeps trying to make heroic plays instead of taking care of the football. And he had that problem here, didn't he second year? It was a lot about the O line. First year he lived off Wandale Robinson, who will have the same head coach this coming season, and Brian Dabole with the Giants. So a lot of it's about circumstance and a lot of it is about a heck of a lot about it execution. And Levis just has not learned how to take care of the football. And if he doesn't, he might might not even be a career backup, he could be out of the league. Yeah, he's got a lot of money in the bank, but so what wants to play? And he said he believes he will be a starter in the NFL. Not if you keep turning over the ball like that, young man. So yeah, and by the way, as you know, we pre record, so by the time you hear this, there may be more coaches out of a job in the NFL, more head coaches, and of course when the head coaches go, the assistants go with him. Don't know about the Cowboys. Jerry Jones after the Cowboys game yesterday, said he's not sure about a coaching change. Mike McCarthy said he wants to stay in Dallas. As much as I hate the Cowboys, have to admit, of course, McCarthy coach my Packer to a Super Bowl win, but he had Aaron Rodgers when he did it. He's got Dak Prescott in Dallas. But with all due respect, most overpaid, over hyped quarterback in the NFL. But the problems with the Cowboys are not Mike McCarthy's fault. It's the gm oh by the way, that's the owner in Jerry Jones Aaron Rodgers in case you're interested in I longer am said. He definitely believes he can play and play well, just isn't sure he wants to. And this takes you back to where he was a couple of years ago when he wasn't sure if he wanted to play, wasn't sure if he wanted to play for the Packers, and then left, disappeared, sat in the darkness, came back, said yes, I want to play, and I want to play for the Jets. That's been a disaster. So I will find out, won't we. But I am not going to hang on his every word, not that I did when he was an out going because I knew we had a good quarterback on the bench in Jordan Love, but I wasn't sure how good he was. Now I'm really sure. But he's hurt going into the playoffs, not too terribly seriously, but he's got an elbow and Christian Watson with a knee injury, the Packers top downfield threat. He may be done for the playoffs, So stay tuned for that, and stay tuned to talk Entucky basketball with Shawn Woods coming up next. A little bit later on Mark mathis Ram Owensboro and Weston Bureau Chief Gary Moore here on six thirty WLAP welcome back to the Big Blonsider, and has promised on our celebrity hotline he joins us every week. Unforgettable guard Shawn Woods as Jersey hangs in the rafters of Rupp and he was watching as Wildcats took on those Florida Gators and Coach you texted me right after the game about the effort turned in by Lamont Butler as a coach, as a point guard. We're going to talk a lot of stuff, but assist to turnover eight to one in thirty three minutes. You can't get too much better, can you?
Speaker 3: No, you can't.
Speaker 4: And I've been raving about this kid ever since the beginning of the season of how good he is, how I like him, and how important he is to you know, our cats success. And you know, Coach Patina used to always tell me, he said, if you win the point guard battle nine times out of team, we're going to win the game. So my thing was, you know, scoring came and went just like he does for Theamont, but you got to destroy and really pose your will on the other team's point guard and I thought that was the game. I know, Explorer's point guard, you know, scored about thirty points, but they weren't winning points. He you know, the Mott really just took it to him, took his ball a couple times at half court, embarrassed him a little bit, and that's how Kentucky got on a road, you know, and then he out maneuvered in with you know, back door cuts. He just played a solid basketball game, more solid than Florida's point guard. And I thought that got everybody else off as far as making shots, because everything came off their defense surprisingly, and you know, it.
Speaker 3: Was a beautiful thing. You know.
Speaker 4: They came out flat, Florida came out like Gangbusters, and all of a sudden, Lamartin made us.
Speaker 3: Still here, still there.
Speaker 4: Everybody else got to going, and the momentum shifted and there was no turn back.
Speaker 1: I was gonna ask you about those steals because they were right at there, as they like to say, in front of God and everybody at mid court, and they came at crucial times in the game, didn't they. I was amazed that he was able to not that he had the skill to do that, but that the other kid wasn't taking care of the basketball any better.
Speaker 4: You know, I'm telling you right now, I'm a defensive point guy out.
Speaker 3: You know I can haff the ball.
Speaker 4: It's just a magnificent thing to see him haff the ball and just take your rock at the most opportune times. And like you know we talked about before, he has to stay on the floor for kentuctively successful and he was able to oppose his will defensively and not get in found trouble. And also when Marx did a real wonderful thing, Coach Popam talked about as he knew when to take him out and put him back in. You know, he saw him kind of get a little will to the little.
Speaker 3: Bit little wended.
Speaker 4: You know, he took him off for about three four minutes and then he brings you back in. And so he was always fresh and he was never in foul trouble. And it never gave Florida enough time to take advantage of the substitution because the other guys were kind of rolling a little bit. And then by the time Florida did get some momentum going here comes to my butler back, I.
Speaker 1: Thought Florida immediately attack Travis Perry when they subbed, and he got so much to learn about defense. But overall, I thought Travis again did a pretty decent job just kind of holding down the fort, you know, didn't make a lot of mistakes and just gave Laman a chance to get a blow. What did you see?
Speaker 4: That's what I saw too, you know, Travis Perry's job and he hit a jump shot, which was which was great. You know, I was happy to see him do that. Travis Ford's job on this team right now is just exactly what you said and exactly what he did. Just come in, played two minutes spurts, you know, hold the Ford down, don't turn it over, you know. But unfortunately, as soon as he comes in the game, they go right at him, and rightfully so. But it wasn't a significant you know, he got scored on like two times in a row he first came. That guy just went right at it. But it gave Lamont a couple that bought Lamont a couple minutes to just you know, get his win back, at his goal back and then go back in and kind of neutra last game of them.
Speaker 1: All right, let's let's pick at this a little bit. Kentucky. I mentioned in the show earlier. Sean was really fortunate that the Gators were missing free throws. That helped a lot. Also that their big kid, who I thought took it to Amari Williams early chin Layhu. He got in some early foul trouble as well, which out now, some of that was because of what Amari was doing, But I think that's something where you and I have talked before about Kentucky's got to get stronger in the low post.
Speaker 4: Yeah, he kind of punked him a little bit, you know what I'm saying, and we got lucky with him getting in foul trouble. The same thing went for Gonzaga when we played Gonzaga, They're big, got a foul trouble because he was dominating a little bit, you know. So it's a thing where it's something we got to get better at, you know, from a rebounding standpoint, because other teams big are that more explosive, pretty much more experienced at playing at this level, to be honest with you, and I think that's the case. But the mob Butler just continues to just save the day, you know, And we've been fortunate all these bigs has been dominating us, you know, they've been getting in foul trouble as the game goes on. But the games we lost, those bigs didn't get in foul trouble, and it kind of neutralized what we were trying to do, especially offensively, of getting to the rim. And you know, Kentucky took advantage of it. I thought they stuck to the you know, to the script, but you you know, and I challenged and remember we were talking about you know, Ex's and O's and Jim and Joe's. Kentucky played. Kentucky's players made some really individual plays. There were big time and came at big times stances in the games. When that flame throw comes out the bench from Dayton, he kind of, you know, says, takes the game to another level. And we needed that sturt when he came in, and Marshall had to find a way to hide his defensive deficiencies because he's not a really good defensive player, but man, he can out you know, from here on out, as long as he's outscoring the guy he's playing against. I got to keep him out on that floor.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, especially when he's feeling it like that, I mean, amazing. He only played twenty two minutes and three in twenty three points, just phenomenal, didn't have any turnovers and in fact, as a team, I thought that was incredible. You've got two hundred and six points scored, all those possessions Sean and only six turns for Kentucky, only nine for Florida, five of those by Clayton, and Kentucky ended up with twenty points off turnovers just four for the Gators. That was huge.
Speaker 3: It was huge, and.
Speaker 4: It was a game that everybody was excited about. I mean, it was probably the best college basketball game that day. You know, there was a bunch of great games that sec games that were going on all day, but that game right there was the most exciting because there was two teams that were scoring the basketball at a rapid race, and you would think there was no defense being played, but there was just tough shots being made throughout that game. And you know, from a fan standpoint, it was a beautiful sight to see. But the home team won, and that's what we said earlier. You know, with this Kentucky team, I think they're capable of winning every game at home. And then they got to steal about you know, you know, as many as they can on the road and if they can, if they can limit themselves, it's gonna the team who wins.
Speaker 7: The league is going to go and lose five games.
Speaker 4: Somebody's going to the team that's gonna win the league is gonna lose five games, no doubt about it. So as long as we can take care of home, every every home stands and still the games. Like, I think this game at Georgia on Tuesday tomorrow is gonna be a winnable game for us. That game, yes, the other day, was a tail tale. We needed that one from a for a jump start standpoint going into the SEC. So we we we solidified home court advantages. Thus far, we took advantage of home. I think this Georgia game is winnable games. And now we're two and oh looking at it, and then we got who else INSS city state?
Speaker 3: Who we got?
Speaker 1: Uh, you caught me without my schedule up. But we'll figure it out.
Speaker 4: But yeah, but I think I think we can be three and oh before the week's out. And now we're cooking, you see what I'm saying. Now we're still at the top. I think somebody's going you know, I don't think Tennessee's gonna lose unless they play Auburn or somebody like that. One of those gotta lose if they're playing each other within the next week or two. But other than that, I think right now that that that win at home the first game of the SC season was a signature win that can carry on throughout this SEC season, especially how tough it is.
Speaker 1: It is Mississippi State and then Texas A and m right back here in Lexington. But there's there's no nights off, there's nothing easy. And Florida I think has Auburn next as well. So yeah, life in the conference. And by the way, I think I said Lamont had only one turnover. He had two. But we'll still take it when you talk about any eight eight assists, so that'll work. Shawn Woods is my guest. We'll talk more hoops with the unforgettable guard on the other side of the break here on six thirty. We'll come back to talking basketball with Sean Woods, as we do each and every week. Got him on a Monday because the Wednesday schedule is such that we've had to flip flop our schedules. But of course we're talking about the Wildcats win over the Florida Gators one six to one hundred Kentucky. Sean had scored what was it, something like ninety points at the eight minute mar or something like that. It was incredible. It was fifty to forty two at the half, and I thought maybe the pace would ratchet down a little bit. But it picked up, didn't it.
Speaker 8: Yes, they did, Florida. They had a big time shot too from outside they did. You know, when you're playing a good team like that, we all have to understand that, you know, other teams scout, you know, and other teams try to take away what you do good, and just just like we as Kentucky, we want to take you know, you know, away the things that the other teams do good. And last night, everything that Florida does good. They did everything Kentucky does good. They did except for Kentucky had a little more possessions and made more crucial plays as the game went on, and they kept Florida at bay, which showed me great character of this basketball team. You know, you know, this team is growing together and Marcus doing a great job of staying the moment, stand the course, and sooner or later we're going to get what we want and that philosophy is raining true thus far, especially on Saturday.
Speaker 1: You know, looking at these turnovers, I'm reminded. And again Florida played relatively cleanly as well, only nine with so many possessions. But I may have asked you about this before. What you mentioned Patino earlier one of the things that I remember him saying, and this played into the game of ninety two that we don't like to talk about, but it was the greatest game ever played, et cetera, et cetera. But it was similar to this one in it it was played at such a high level in terms of execution. But Patino talked about the fact that you guys like to run this Kentucky team likes to play in transition, and he said, oftentimes the opposing point guard, who might not be running a team that ordinarily runs a lot, is seduced into running with you or thinking he he can do that, and it ups the turnover game for the opposing point guard. What kind of a weapon was that for you guys.
Speaker 4: Well, it was a great weapon, especially the Duke game. We turned Bobby Early over I think thirteen times, and Houston said, the best point guard in America. Yeah, you know, and that's what allowed us to do what we did. You know, it took his teammate to go perfect to beat us, who was the best player in the country that year.
Speaker 3: But that's what we did.
Speaker 4: You know, we sped him up, We kept him uncomfortable, didn't let him just.
Speaker 3: Control the game.
Speaker 4: He was always looking behind him, you know, inside to see who's coming. You want to rush them and keep them uncomfortable. And I thought that's what Kentucky did the other day, and that's what the Mont Butler did.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Mount Butler.
Speaker 4: Was just in him. I mean that kudos to what's the point guard name for Florida.
Speaker 1: Well, they've got Clayton.
Speaker 2: And they got more Clayton.
Speaker 4: With the guys score.
Speaker 1: Thirty, that was Clayton. He also had five tur.
Speaker 4: Yes and the five turnovers, three of them. Lamont Butler just took it from him. Yes, you see what I'm saying. Oh yeah, So the kudos to Clayton because he kept coming. He was able to score thirty points. But Lamont Butler did just enough to make sure that he's his team one, knowing that he was playing against a talented point guard. And that's what I've been saying all along. The SEC is deep with talented point guards. Every big time team in this league has a big time point guard. The Mont Butler is not gonna give you thirty every night, but Lamont Butler can control the game against a really good point guard just enough for his team to win. He's gonna steal the ball from you every now and then, he's gonna bump you every now and then. He's gonna you know, he's a tough, hard body.
Speaker 3: To go against.
Speaker 4: Also, when you're bumping him, he's driving you too. So he ain't got to score twenty five or thirty to be the best point guard on the floor, right. He just has to control that guy just enough, distract him just enough to give his team a chance, which is Kentucky, to have an opportunity to win the basketball game. And he did that perfectly against Florida on Saturday.
Speaker 1: Well, speaking of distraction and you being a defensive guy, you had to appreciate the fact that you referred to this earlier. Butler is out in front of the basket, hands off to it, Marii Williams and Butler's defender, whether it was Clayton or Martin, whoever took his eye off the prize for just a second. Next thing, you know, Butler's cutting to the basket and Williams is feeding him. Williams is big with five assists. I mean, that was perfect, wasn't it.
Speaker 4: That was the way, That's the way Kentucky does it.
Speaker 3: You know what I mean.
Speaker 4: You know, you may stop those cuts, you're switching, you're bumping them, but sooner or later, if you're not paying attention, they're gonna get you.
Speaker 3: On the backscreen cut. What's going to be a big play, maybe a hand one.
Speaker 4: You know, Butler wasn't out there dancing with him shooting tough shots in people's faces. He was just orchestrating his offense to a t and he got his buckets on throughout the offense, which was very detrial and very frustrating to Florida because you know, they got to keep their head on a swivel knowing that these cuts are coming, and as good as a pass as our bigs are, they were getting punished for it.
Speaker 1: You gotta love the way Amari Williams, who I think needs to be a little tougher easy for me to save it, needs to be a little more physical on the post. But I'm telling you the way he passes a basketball, Sean, it reminds me a lot of sambuie.
Speaker 4: He does, you know, it does, and he's getting better at it, and he likes it.
Speaker 3: That's the thing. He likes it.
Speaker 4: He likes the pass of the basketball, which is contagious. I would love to be a point guard on this team because I ain't got a dance. I can play a pick a rock. I can throw it to the top that I could go screen a little big kiss cut, you know, and if I just got a step on my man, he's going to get it to me at the right place, at the right time for me to be able to spl to basketball.
Speaker 1: You hear Mark Pope constantly use the word beautiful, and he ain't wrong, is he? When it looks like that, it's a joy to watch. It's a enjoy to behold, whether you're a Kentucky fan or whatever. Florida did it as well a few times, some really nice backcuts and things like that. It was just a great basketball game, one to be enjoyed. But if you're a Kentucky fan, player, coach, you gotta look ahead to those Georgia Bulldogs. That's what's coming up next. And we will discuss that game and more with Sean next week when we get together with the unforgettable Guard Coach. Thank you so much, Stay warm and.
Speaker 4: Enjoy your week, do you, buddy be couple out there.
Speaker 1: I Renumber two is next here on six thirty Cony.
Speaker 5: Early manamer.
Speaker 1: Mag Welcome back to the Big Blue and Cider and joining us on our celebrity hotline is a guy I've known, Mark Mathis forever from the Onesboro Messenger and but hadn't been on the show for quite a while. Welcome back, sir.
Speaker 7: Thank you very much for having me on and on this winter day in Kentucky.
Speaker 1: Yeah, trying to stay warm, trying to stay dry and get the work done. You made it to election and before the big storm. You and I sat next to each other elbow to elbow for that game, and we kept kept commenting to each other, Wow, did you see that? What a game that was? Man? That was a lot of fun, wasn't it.
Speaker 7: Absolutely? I mean, that was a wildly entertaining college basketball game, one of the better ones I've seen in RUP in quite a few years. I would say, I think somebody one of the ESPN people made this comment. I think on X they said that it was one of the few times where the atmosphere and then the game lived up to what people thought it would beforehand.
Speaker 1: Yeah that's accurate, isn't it.
Speaker 7: Yeah, it was. Now it was a blast, you know, great plays on both sides, two really good teams. Yeah, and they and they both played well.
Speaker 3: I thought.
Speaker 1: I thought Kentucky, and I mentioned this earlier in the show a couple of times took advantage of the fact, of course that Florida miss free throws. But on the other hand, Kentucky played about as clean a game given the opponent as you can expect. I mean, six turnovers.
Speaker 7: That was incredible, Yes, exactly. And I'm sitting here looking at this numbers. Also at you know, Carr Williams. They're passing well out of the post and then he got Bubble going for a assists And yeah, the assistant to turnover thing was pretty phenomenal. And I think Pope really kind of worked on that a little bit in the post game.
Speaker 1: So I thought that Florida's Biggs, especially the was a Chineehlu, took advantage of Amari Williams. He is for a guy who was an outstanding defender at his previous stop. He's not as physical as I thought he might be. Is that's something Mark you think he can develop or is that just something Kentucky's going to have to live with.
Speaker 7: I think he's I think his mindset, you know, he might maybe gonna have to be a little bit tougher mentality. And he spoke to this a little bit in the post game, just talking about, you know, when when he and Ruben hooked up on the you know, first couple of possessions and Ruben was just moving him around and knocking him around. Amari said, you know, I realized I had to start getting back at it. And he he said he thought he'd played better in the second half, and I, you know, I would agree with that. But I thought Pope made a really good point about Ruben talking about he's a guy who can carve out space and that's very important. That's very important, and I think Williams has to be that kind of guy for Kentucky.
Speaker 1: Inside, I'm not sure he's got that in him, you know what I'm saying, just his style of play, right, But I think the combination of Williams and Garrison could possibly make that happen. Of course, Garrison fouled out, but he was effective when he was in there, wasn't he?
Speaker 7: Yeah, I thought so. I mean, I thought Garrison probably did what they didn't mind foul out obviously, but I thought he gave them a physical presence probably that you know, I agree with you. I think it's going to be a combination kind of thing as far as some physicality in the post, and I think Garrison's a little more suited to that.
Speaker 1: Talking to Mark Mathis of the Owensboro Messenger, he covered Kentucky's win over Florida where, speaking of the bigs, they had between them, eleven rebounds, ten assists, I'm sorry, eight assists and only two turnovers, Mark, and it combined thirty eight minutes. You're not going to see that anywhere else in the country in a day like that, are you?
Speaker 7: Now you're going about Kentucky's yeah, right now, No, absolutely no. I thought I thought they they look to play total games, you know, as well as they have all year long. And like I said, Andrew Carr and Williams they are really good passers, and they did it. They did a pretty good job at taking care of the ball. Just kind of like what you're saying, so you know, and then and then you know Garrison, you know Brandon Garrison. I'm looking at I'm looking across his numbers, and yeah, I didn't even realize the three assists, you know, that kind of thing. So you know, no, I thought no, I thought they were. I think when they get settled in. I think it takes car maybe a little bit of time in a game to get settled, you know, into what he's doing. But once he does, I mean, he is wildly effected well.
Speaker 1: And again is number you've got in front of you. Twenty nine minutes, scored fourteenth once, two crucial threes, including one in the last three minutes. He amazingly missed three straight free throws but hit him in the clutch. Five assists and no turnovers. You know, it's one thing, as you know, Mark, if you know, if a guy doesn't commit any turnovers, but he's not really contributing offensively with anything with jump shots. But these guys are passing extremely well. I mean, carving up Florida with those back door cuts. It's pretty impressive.
Speaker 7: Yeah, their court vision is a lot better than what I would have thought they were gonna be. I mean, you know, Williams had the reputation for being a passer, you know, coming in coming in to his spot of Kentucky or whatever. But one you know, once you see you know, you're kind of not buying into it as an observer until you actually see it. But he's him and have really really good court vision, I think, and they and they look for guys to pass it.
Speaker 1: So talking to Mark manthis he is a sports writer from Western Kentucky. You've seen his work for years? How long now with The Messenger Inquirer.
Speaker 7: I have been here since the late eighties. I was just I was kind of running over this in my mind. The other day. I saw Kenny Walker play one of his last games for Kentucky, and I saw Rex Chapman play his last game for Kentucky. So I've been around for a little bit.
Speaker 1: Yeah you have, you have. Indeed, that's how long we've known each other. Kentucky out playing the Georgia Bulldogs tomorrow night, one of the more in terms of wins and losses, one of the more surprising teams in the league. But these guys, he's Kentucky Wildcats. Are They're road tested, aren't they? I mean, I've got to think that. And again, it's the first game in the SEC on the road a little bit different. You've covered road games. Teams. Are the fans kind of lay and wait for them, don't they?
Speaker 7: Yes, they do. And I mean, I'm I'm gonna be real curious to see how Georgia responds to what you know, to losing the old myths on Saturday and that kind of thing. I'm guessing they're gonna be pretty motivated. And yes, I would imagine they'll try to pack the arena and that kind of thing like they always do on the road for Kentucky eating in the SEC.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and it's a it's a nice arena. They redid it. I don't know if you were ever at the old one or if you've been in this one, but they gave it. They gave it well, they gave it a facelift, much like Kentucky did Memorial Coliseum. And it's not huge, so filling it especially when the students decide to show up. Uh, it's not quite the challenge that Rupp Aerna presents. And you know, kids turn out they want to heckle Kentucky, don't they They want to heckle it back it brings out the best, doesn't it.
Speaker 7: That's exactly right, And I mean yeah, and I mean, look, look, you know the fans, the kids, that kind of thing. I mean they you know, they're if they're engaged enough to go to the games on the road and that kind of deal, then I mean they know what Kentucky is and that kind of thing, and yeah, they want to they want to get under some skin and that kind of deal. So yeah, it's I think it's a good time for the opposing kids when Kentucky comes to town and that kind of thing. And well, and especially I mean George has put up some good numbers this year, so I would I would think that there would be you know, some some fan interests going on there.
Speaker 1: Mark Matthis my guess from the Owensboro Messenger in choir. We'll talk more UK sports with Mark on the other side of the break. Here, alcome back talking with Mark Matthis longtime sports journalists from Western Kentucky rights for the Owensboro Messenger and Choir has covered the Wildcat for many, many years, as he said, since the late eighties. And let me ask you a couple more basketball questions before I picked your brain about football. What was your response. What was your reaction your mental process when you had to cover the story like the rest of us, or you got to cover the story Kentucky hiring a new coach, and you were following along the names that kept dropping out, and suddenly Mark Pope's name bubbles to the surface, and before long, within twenty four hours or no later than forty eight hours, he's the guy. What was your reaction through all that.
Speaker 7: I mean, I was pretty surprised. I thought it. I mean, I thought it hit.
Speaker 4: I thought you kind of came.
Speaker 7: Out of nowhere a little bit, you know, just from the aspect of there were a lot, you know, there were big names who were in play and that kind of thing. And then when they did drop out, though, I thought, I think Barnhart probably you know, made a pretty bowl decision. And the way it you know, the way it worked out once they got him on campus and once they you know, when when they had the introduction and that kind of thing, you could see the fact that he had been there before. He knew the territory, even though he hadn't been around in years. But I mean, he knew what the program was about and what he was getting ready to step into and I think it took less time for it to become a fit. But no, when he when they when the news started coming out, I mean people were texting megoing, what are they doing? I mean seriously, you know, you know the fan people that I know around here and friends and that kind of thing. I mean that people were shocked when they really people that I talked to who were shocked when they pulled the trigger and said we're you know, we're bringing him in that kind of thing. But like that, well, I mean we were all, we were we were all at the press conference, you know, tent revival, whatever you want to call it. That was there was that rep arina, and I mean there was a definite energy in there. And you know, there were some people from western Kentucky and from the Owensboro area who who went to the event and they were asking me. They were like, I mean, if you've ever seen anything like that? And I said, no, not really, you know, And I think that helped at least calmed some nerves. If you know, if you're catching catch of my drill, that kind of thing.
Speaker 1: I had to admit, and I talked about this before that. My initial reaction was like what. But then I had to remind myself that this guy, I think people looked at him as some sort of neophyte and to this level of coaching he is, but ninety eight percent of the coaches in America are. But this is a guy who had this is a third stop. I think people were looking at him as some kind of newbie. And he had done a good job at Utah Valley where you'd say where and then bring him young, which you knew about. And I watched a few of his games.
Speaker 6: Uh.
Speaker 1: And when you get down to a coach knowing what he's getting into, you know, Cali Perry kind of knew. Billy Gillispie thought he knew, but had no idea. Mark Pope knew exactly what he was getting into, which save Mitch Barnhard a lot of trouble, didn't it. He didn't have to explain it to him over and over again like he did with Gillespie and try to help Cali Perry get through it. And like I said, Cali Perry's bluster helped him when he first got here. But Mark Pope man he knew the roadmap, didn't he?
Speaker 7: Yes, he did that, And I mean I think like I said, when he when he stepped off, when he stepped off that bus and rub ye, I mean I think that I think that moment and you know me, I don't get all wrapped up, you know, on the emotion side of it, that kind of thing, hardly at all. I try not to do that. But I mean when he stepped off that bus, I mean that was a moment my thought, you know. And you know, like I said, just the way the people in the building reacted and the way he handled all that, I thought, I thought there was a lot of good stuff going on that afternoon, you know, And yes, it.
Speaker 1: Impressed What impressed me the most about all that mark was after the fact finding out that none of that of his speech essentially his presentation is sermon if you will, none of that was was formally scripted with the help of anybody in uk c. Now here's the point you have to hit. You ought to allude to this and refer to that and make sure that people he did and all of that on his own, because we know he's a smart guy. But then you come to find out, because the video pops out that on that bus with the former players and Cameron Mills was telling me this. They choreographed how they got off the bus, how he would of course get off the bus last, but that he would carry the trophy because he carried the trophy in ninety six to the point where you know, either he or somebody goes which hand and somebody else. He was in your right hand, you know, and then Derek Anderson was like, Okay, when you're off, you hand it to me. I mean, it was perfect, wasn't it.
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 7: It was. It's funny you talk about all that because when I the first time I saw the pictures, like side by side of when he was, you know, coming off as a player and that kind of thing. I was sitting there going somebody had to have put this together somehow. So I think what you're what you're saying, you know, about what they were doing on the bus and that kind of thing.
Speaker 4: I think that's amazing.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, but you know, in terms of the former players, it was as much their moment as his, and you know they are going to be rough moments and he knows that, but you know that that's sports. That's what happens. I got a couple of minutes up in Mark matthis real quickly let me ask you about Kentucky football, your thoughts on what's happening. I know you got to juggle a lot, not just UK football and basketball, but if you've been able to keep an eye on the portal and what you see in the future for this Kentucky football team, because this ain't the college football to you and I signed up to cover, and it's not what Mark Stoops signed up to coach, is it.
Speaker 7: No, absolutely, and full disclosure. I have not been doing UK football for three or four years. We have Joseph Russell doing that, but obviously I keep up with the cow thing. And I mean, tell me if I'm reading this wrong. It seemed to me like like once they got a little momentum in this last cycle and the portal, they did pretty good. But I think people were concerned walking into it. That a correct read, Yeah, yeah, but see.
Speaker 1: It's like putting a fantasy team together. You know, you can, you can throw a team together with all kinds of point potential, but if the guys don't go out and perform, you know you're you're stuck. And Kentucky was stuck this past year, both with injuries and portal guys who didn't perform. But yeah, you know, now they're on the outside looking into the playoffs where a couple of years under Stoops they might have been in the playoffs. Have you been as disappointed with the playoffs as a lot of people have because you can't predict how tim who thought Texas Arizona State would be the best game? Nobody?
Speaker 7: Right? No, No, absolutely, And and I'll say this, I have watched roughly every minute that I could of all of the playoff games just to kind of try to get a field, you know, to get a feel for it. And yes, I'm I'm I didn't think that you would be seeing points spreads throughout this tournament or whatever you want to call it, like you have, but it has. It has borne one thing out I think, and that's the power teams are the power teams. Yeah, it seems like. So do you think that the way the way Ohio is, the way Ohio State has flipped around, is you know since the Michigan game has been crazy?
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's I think that's a mental thing more than anything I was gonna say. Do you think the SEC now has a big hole in it? I mean I've seen of course, and you know, Twitter is all about who is the first take, the hottest take, but out the SEC is dead, it's over and done with throws some dirt on it. Do you see it that way?
Speaker 7: No, I don't think so. I mean, no, there's there is a lot of talent in that league, and and it's as we're talking about with Nil and all that, it's getting more and more spread out that kind of stuff. I mean, look, Alabama performed at such an exceptionally high level for for for the saban years that I think you know, if you don't have a team in the semi finals or in the championship game, talk about the SEC in the scenario, people are going to be going, oh, well they kind of messed up. But you know that, I think that speaks to you know, maybe them's coming down a little bit and maybe like the big ten teams are involved in this thing, stepping up a little bit. That's kind of the way I'm saying it that the talent, the talent is very spread.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, thanks to the portal and Nil, it's a lot more, no question. He as Mark Matt of the Owens World Messenger in Choir. Follow him on Twitter or x at. Mark mathis m a t his am, I and Mark. We'll do it again soon. It's been a while, but we'll talk more basketball later in the year.
Speaker 7: Thanks now, absolutely, it's been a blast. Thanks for having me.
Speaker 1: Western Bureau Chief Gary Moore is next here on six thirty wlap back to the Big Blue Insider, joining us now by hooker by crook. Because I have lost power, we're using a hot spot. We usually zoom with our Western Bureau Chief, Gary Moore, but we're making do with what we've got here as we brave the winter months. Everything good on your end of the interstate.
Speaker 6: Absolutely, Speaking of winter months, before we get into two guys in a six pack, what is.
Speaker 1: With all of the snow?
Speaker 2: I mean, it's like you said on Facebook, if we only had some kind of a warning on television and this stuff was coming in like the weather. You know, there's nothing on ESPN about any of this stuff.
Speaker 1: This is the weather we needs. Man, It's their super Bowl, isn't it.
Speaker 2: Well, upward and onward we go.
Speaker 6: Here we go with our first sip, our first two guys in a six pack of twenty twenty five.
Speaker 2: Cheers to you and you're beloved over there. The gauntlet has begun for number ten UK.
Speaker 6: You were there Saturday's brunch of Gator meat, first of nine home SEC games, nine on the road, and those road games begin tomorrow down in Athens, GA. Of course, nothing but SEC games from here on out. Cats and Dogs seven o'clock tomorrow night, SEC Network UK two and two away from rupp. Meanwhile, Georgia is twelve and two overall, but you really haven't played anybody at home, so it's gonna be a raucous crowd down there as usual. Then on Saturday night at number seventeen Mississippi State, those will be tougher dogs to deal with, allegedly States thirteen and one. They've got wins over number eighteen pit at number twenty one Memphis, so that's gonna be fun to watch Saturday night, eight thirty SEC Network. According to latest ratings, the circular Firing squad Dick, that is, the SEC ten top twenty five teams still Cats, of course one of them, and they will play the other nine.
Speaker 2: In fact, they're going to play number five Bama.
Speaker 6: And top ranked that top ranked Orange school down I seventy five twice along with Vanderbilt twice. Now you've been out there, I think for about every game, and the crowds have been great. Have you noticed a discernible difference in the energy compared to when a certain coach now at Arkansas was there.
Speaker 1: And the crowds. Absolutely, But I think so much of that obviously is directed at the head coach, but also I think style of play, Gary, And to be fair, you know, you go back really to Caliperi's better teams, Rick Patino's early teams that shot a lot of threes and got up and down the floor in transition. But the key is they did it well. The last two or three Caliperi teams are the ones who were the most disappointing, with all the young guys still trying to figure things out. You know, the offense would just bog down so much, and they weren't fun to watch. This team's been really fun to watch. I think you'll agree.
Speaker 2: Yeah, absolutely, Hey one six to one hundred, were you not entertained?
Speaker 1: And you know what, believe it or not, there was defense played. It's just guys made shots they did.
Speaker 2: You're absolutely right.
Speaker 6: Second sip in the six pack while the victory vibes are alive and well they're in Lexington. The rebirth boxes are being checked over here in Louisville with new coach of the Cards, Pat Kelsey. Their ACC Gauntlin's already begun now. The first box they checked off Louisville beating Florida State for.
Speaker 2: The first time down in Tallahassee in six years.
Speaker 6: Next box, last week Cards beat North Carolina.
Speaker 2: That's the signature win so far for Kelsey.
Speaker 6: They beat Carolina for the first time in five years by thirteen points after Louisville lost five straight by an average of nineteen points.
Speaker 2: And then on Saturday, the biggest drought ended.
Speaker 6: For Louisville, not only beating Virginia for the first time in ten tries that goes back to twenty twenty, but the Cards actually won at Charlottesville for the first time in thirty five years, something I don't think Patino and Mac and pain could do. Cards are three and one down the ACC.
Speaker 2: Ten and five overall.
Speaker 6: They faced Clemson over here at the Young Center tomorrow night at seven o'clock.
Speaker 2: ESP and U is gonna have that when the Tigers are four to oh in the conference twelve and three overall.
Speaker 6: Including that home court win we saw over UK. Given a supposedly down.
Speaker 2: Year for the ACC. How do you like Louisville's chances.
Speaker 6: For March given their recent played, especially the overall play this year.
Speaker 1: You know what, win at home, steal a few on the road. They've already done one in a really tough place to play, and I like their chances, I really do. And I watched a lot of that North Carolina game. And to be fair, this is not as they like to say, your father, your grandfather's North Carolina. It's not even our North Carolina, but it's still North Carolina. And it's a game that that very few people I thought expected Louisville to win. I might be more impressed Gary with that win at Virginia, which is not again not a great team, but a tough place to play, and Kelsey's got his guys playing hard. You can tell you know what they're doing. Clemson is going to be a tough one because, as we saw, Clemson physical with good guards. But I think even if they don't beat Clemson, they'll take a step forward. So yeah, I'm liking what I see.
Speaker 2: Chuckie, Hepburn.
Speaker 6: He feels he's the best point guard in the United States, and he's really fun to watch.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's really I think a catalyst for that team. Oh yeah, he's special. Are our third swig in six packs. So we go from college hoops to college football playoffs.
Speaker 6: We have three big games this week, yes three, including two nights from Frisco, Texas.
Speaker 2: Or one double A?
Speaker 6: Is it still ought to be called? According to you and I, championship game? Number one seed?
Speaker 2: It's so confusing fb F to say one double A one A. You know why muddy that I never got that.
Speaker 6: So anyway, number one seed Montana State Bobcats at number two North Dakota State Bison. In fact, that's going on right now. Kickoff is at seven o'clock on ESPN. Katz and Bison are two of the top three scoring.
Speaker 2: Teams in the nation. In one double A.
Speaker 6: Montana State, in fact, their touchdown Tommy Millott, quarterback. He won the Walter Payton Award for the FCS Offensive Player of the Year. That's their equivalent of the Heisman in four years. Check out these stats if you dare. Malott rushed so far for three one hundred and thirteen yards and thirty nine touchdowns, while he passed for five two hundred two yards and forty six touchdowns.
Speaker 2: So definitely I'm looking forward to seeing this one, especially that guy.
Speaker 6: And I'm just wondering if any of the NFL team is going to give him a shot on draft Day.
Speaker 2: He's been kind of under the radar a little bit.
Speaker 6: You know, he could follow in the one double A footsteps guys like Joe Flacco and Carson Wentz and Prey Lance, Kurt Water and oh yeah, some guy I believe played at Southern High School went to Morehead State here named Phil Simms.
Speaker 1: What do you think Morehead State played at the one double A level? That's correct. You know, it's interesting because Simms played back in the day when, yeah, they made good money, but they didn't make generational wealth. And I bring that up because it gave him time to develop. And now, as you know, you draft a QB, you almost have to start him, which is you know, sheer folly. But because you're gonna pay him obsceeing amounts of money, you can't let him languish on the bench, even though it's for his own good and he's learning. So they throw these guys in, and what I'm saying is it doesn't give anybody a chance to develop, including the backups and the guys coming in from the one double A level. If they're not good enough to start right away, and who is, they ought to be given a chance to develop as a backup quarterback. But that is one of the worst things the NFL does or fails to do, is develop quarterbacks. Because practices have been shortened, nobody gets reps and there's a revolving door. Josh Dobbs is starting in there, actually started over the weekend. Bailey Zappi started over the weekend. Dobbs played at Tennessee. But you know, never really has had much of a chance to really learn how to be an NFL quarterback. These guys are good enough Gary if they're given the right opportunity.
Speaker 2: Patrick Mahomes set out his first year. How did he turn out?
Speaker 1: I think it was not too shabby and learned behind a veteran yep and Alex Smith.
Speaker 2: Forth Swig, yeah, exactly, fort Swig and the six pack.
Speaker 6: As for those other big stakes games Thursday and Friday, Notre Dame currently a two point favorite over Pennsylvania State University. Thursday night, Orange down in warm and breezy Miami. I'll just be watching that just a faw out. I think seven thirty Thursday night on ESPN, I'm gonna take the Irish dick because well, one, I think they're a better team, and also they have a better coach whose skin isn't as thin as one flight toilet paper unlike the other side. Then on Friday night, also on ESPN seven thirty, the Cotton Bowl down in Dallas, surging Buckeyes before what may be a largely partisan crowd down there for the Texas Longhorns. OSU currently is six point favorite. Everybody picking them to beat the Horns except me. Give me Texas a notre dame for the.
Speaker 2: Finals in Atlanta.
Speaker 1: I say, why do you like Texas?
Speaker 6: I like, I like their line and I like I like their defense against the past, you know, because I you know, Oregon was just completely a rusty and be completely outmanned and out bullied.
Speaker 2: I think Texas can match the bullying.
Speaker 6: Of Ohio State, and I think Ohio States do or a drop off, especially in front of a nasty crowd.
Speaker 1: I think you're spot on with a line play and having seen them up close, not too personal, down at Austin, and I remember during the Kentucky game broadcast, Tom and Jeff at one point read off the sizes of the linemen on both sides of the football. They're huge, but they're athletic, and I think, maybe, just maybe that's where they can win this game. I'm not a huge quinn Ewers fan, o vau. As somebody pointed out, somebody smarter than I am. You know, the last three possessions Texas had when it had to have huge plays by Quinn yours, he made them, you know, touchdown pass, touchdown pass, two point conversion, spot on, you know, and I think that you know that counts. It means a lot. I'm the same way. I grew up a Penn State fan. I really liked Joe Paterno. I also grew up an Notre Dame fan, not so much lately, but I do like Notre Dame in this game. I do like their coach as you do. So yeah, I'd love to see that. I love to see a Texas Notre Dame rematch.
Speaker 2: Are a fitthswig and six pack.
Speaker 6: While college football playoffs wind down in historic fashion this year, the NFL postseason just about to crank up. We got six kind of six big NFC wild card weekend games, so let's get to it up. First on Saturday. Two games on Saturday, Chargers at the Texans that'll start at four to thirty on CBS on Saturday.
Speaker 2: Gimme the Chargers in that one.
Speaker 6: Visiting then because I'm not betting against hardball, at least not in the first game.
Speaker 2: And then Steelers at the Ravens. That's gonna be another.
Speaker 6: Ball burner eight pm on Amazon Prime. I like Lamar and Balmer on that one to beat the Steelers. On Sunday, we got three games, starting with Denver at Buffalo one o'clock on CBS kicks off. I'll take the Bills, then your Packers at Philly, four thirty on Fox.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna take the Green Bay Packers to upset Philadelphia.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 6: Finally Washington at Tampa Bay Sunday night seven thirty. Give me DC in that one. And finally Monday night, Minnesota at the Rams eight o'clock on ESPN.
Speaker 2: Clearly the Vikings will win that game.
Speaker 1: I agree on just about all of them. I would love to see my Packers, of course, beat Philly. We opened the season with him down in Brazil. But our best deep threat, Christian Watson, we don't know yet if he's gonna be healthy. I think Jordan Love will be. I do like the steel I mean, I'm sorry, I do like the Ravens over the Steelers. And I'm gonna take Tampa Bay over Washington. I will disagree on that one, but I think they should be fun.
Speaker 6: Yeah, that was the that's the caveat if if your boy at quarterbacks is not back, yeah, then and then I think Philly's got the advantage on that one. Sixth and finals wig final two bowl games this Thursday and Friday, obviously the Orange and Cotton Bowls. And it raises the question once again this time of year, do we have too many football bowl games? And once again the obvious answer is no, emphatically no, there are not enough ball games.
Speaker 2: And off TV ratings are your barometer. More we'll be on a screen near you in the coming years.
Speaker 6: For example, I give you the Pop Tarts Bowl, six point eight million viewers on ABC for that Iowa State Miami matchups, right, the best ratings for that particular bowl that's been under so many other sponsorships, The best ratings for that bowl sixteen years. Another great matchup led to record ratings in the Alimo Bowl. Because most of America loves seeing BYU beat Buffalo Butts and coach Prime. But wait, the pens Dry Bowl even viewers were up forty percent from last year, Liberty Bowl up seventeen percent, Birmingham Bowl up fifty two percent, and that rely a Quest Bowl formerly the Outback Bowl of forty two percent. Michigan beat Bama for the second time in twenty twenty four, sending.
Speaker 2: A clear message to Herb Street and Fine Bomb to eat it. Okay, boys.
Speaker 6: Rough estimate, Dick Gabriel, how many bulls can you say you watched over the holidays.
Speaker 2: I'm going with about a dozen myself.
Speaker 1: Same here, I mean bits and pieces, but yeah, same here. Look, I get so tired of these people say, well, now there's a playoffs, So the bulls really don't mean anything. When have they ever accept a reward for players, coaches, fans, something for us to watch, something for gamblers to gamble on. It's entertainment, folks. It's entertainment. That's what it's there for. And it's there because ESPN needs programming, so they ain't going away. But you know, a great game is every bit as possible as a clunker, and there have been both, and I'm good with that. We're talking to Gary Moore or West End Bureau chief. Back with more in a minute here on the Big Blue and Siders six point thirty. Welcome back to the Big Blue and Sider. We were visiting with West n Bureau Chief Gary Moore. We usually talked to Gary on wednesday Days, but our state wide lineup is coming up, so we've moved him up to Monday. That's why I heard Sean Woods on earlier tonight as well. There are two guys in a six pack. Time to throw a couple of hot reads at Gary and these are these are these are kind of juicy. Now, First of all, Black Monday for head football coaches and assistants in the National Football League. I mentioned this early in the show, and by the time you hear this, there are probably more. There were already three guys on the unemployment line. Jaguars fired their coach, Patriots fired their coach. I guess the man who stepped in for Bill Belichick found out it's not quite as easy as Belichick made it look for look, but when you look at the Jacks, their owner preseason, Gary said this was the most talented Jaguars team that he has ever built, and they are terrible. Uh, you got to wonder how many of these teams have the right players and the wrong guys in show charge.
Speaker 2: The firings will continue until morale improves and or the record.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's what that.
Speaker 2: The owner of the Jaguar said, this is the best team ever.
Speaker 6: Even better than that team to get was the twenty seventeen they got to the championship.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: AFC champions Yeah.
Speaker 6: I when you got that that black cloud over you, you know, and when they started losing all those games, I mean the writing was already on the wall for that.
Speaker 2: That's you know. Peterson getting fired was no surprise at all.
Speaker 6: I think Mayo was a surprise from crap because he was like he'd been, you know, being groomed for like what five years.
Speaker 2: He told him five years.
Speaker 6: Ago he was going to be the coach in waiting, and then after one season, it was just wow, that was really stark. Even Gronk was surprised and disappointed by that, I think a lot of the Patriots. But of course that opens the door for Mike Raebel former Patriots, so look for that to happen any second now.
Speaker 1: Well, he should not have gone unemployed this year, but it also gave him a chance to sit back and recalibrate. I think that would be great fit. I don't know about the fit down in Jacksonville, but I do agree with that. When it comes to New England, our second high rate for Gary. What a mess apparently out on the West coast with Fox Sports, You've got lawsuits left and right. Skip Bayless accused of offering a woman a million and a half dollars to sleep with them. Shannon Sharp is weighing in on it. You've got another woman. Well, this all came from one lawsuit from a woman who's accused of sleeping her way to the top. Deerry Miley communists. I'm amazed in this day and age this this stuff still goes on with HR being so visible these days.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was from a hairdresser, right that was working on Fox.
Speaker 6: And the question I always have is like, why would somebody risk their job, you know, that particular job, if you didn't have something along the line that you're really to number of I mean big names, you know you mentioned Skip baylist, Joyce Taylor I think was mentioned.
Speaker 1: Yeah in on that as well. It was her lawsuit initially.
Speaker 6: Yeah, And so there's there's a lot of really prickly kind of things that are going on with that. It's it's you know, it's almost like you get hit with the mud and then it's up to you to kind of clean yourself off and see what happens.
Speaker 2: Do you think there's going to be an out of.
Speaker 6: Court settlement with that sort of thing and it's gonna blow off or is this going to really go into court.
Speaker 2: And ruin some people?
Speaker 1: I think both? But the bottom line is will anything change at Fox Sports? I'm I'm a big weather smoke, there's fire kind of guy. Having been a journalist. Yeah, for a long time. Something's going on and like you say, you know, why do you put yourself out there? And most news outlets don't identify the victims of harassmith, but the hairdresser has already been identified. And boy Bayless, you talk about somebody who's star tumble. Now he's he's sitting on a pile of money because he was smart enough to sign big contracts. But you do have to wonder will this change anything? Out at Fox Sports? Gary Moore is our West End bureau chief. He joins us every week to talk about everything there is in sports and We can find him on Twitter at.
Speaker 6: At nine five five Gary, the same lovely media outlet where you're at.
Speaker 1: Big Blue Insider one. Stay warm and dry, my friend, Thank you so much.
Speaker 2: Got any snowshoes on you?
Speaker 1: And thanks to Gary de Shaun Woods to Mark Mathis, that's a good night from the garage where we have no power in Lexington.
Speaker 3: All right, all right, all right yea