Speaker 1: Welcome to the Trauma Therapists podcast. My name is Gamiferson. I interview incredible people who've dedicated their lives to helping those who've been impacted by trauma. A big thank you to our sponsors and our guests who are supporting this show by for me two and one our folks, welcome back to the podcast. Very excited to have as my guest today, Doctor Rachel Siegfried, Rachel, welcome, Thank you, so excited to be here. Awesome. Rachel is a licensed clinical psychologist in New York City with extensive experience treating trauma across diverse populations. She holds a BS from Cornell and a doctorate from LIU Brooklyn, who is trained in major New York City hospitals and clinic settings, working with individuals including trauma survivors, veterans nine to eleven, first responders, undocumented individuals, LGBTQIA clients, and emerging adults. She recently authored a chapter on complex PTSD for book on Trauma and the Law, helping legal professionals better understand trauma psychological impact. Doctor Sigfried is particularly interested in exploring moral injury and how entry to trauma is often misdiagnosed as personality pathology rather than recognized as PTSD. All right, Rachel, obviously, just a little bit about you before we could go and share with the listeners where you're from originally and where you are currently.
Speaker 2: I'm a born, born, and brid raised New Yorker, so still in my hometown, New York City.
Speaker 1: That's it. You ain't leaving.
Speaker 2: I tried to get away from Cornell for a chapter Smester in Spain, but drew me back.
Speaker 1: All right, so let's go back. How does this start for you? How does this interest start for you?
Speaker 2: Well, if you ask my mom, it was in elementary school when she goes to the you know guy and meet all the teachers at a parent teacher conference, and she goes to meet the school count and introduce herself, and she's already very aware, well aware of who I am, because I've been bringing classmates to him who are arguing so that they can go work through their issues. So she would say, then, I would say that I've always just been really interested in people. I really liked observing people. I never really grew out of the why phase of wanting to know why, and my I just I started taking small psychology classes here and there in high school and things, but it really formulated in college. I actually wrote my college essay about people watching and my love of people watching, which luckily they didn't find weird. And right, what do I enjoy sitting on the New York City bus and you know, just live their lives?
Speaker 1: Have you heard of stalking?
Speaker 2: And then at in college, I was studying human development and there was a course on risk and Resiliency in childhood and Adolescents. And I really fell in love with that course, with understanding trauma and with childhood and adverse events. And so this professor would use books and memoirs, right like we read on Finding Fish, and we read the book that Pressures is based on to really understand kind of these childhood narratives. And so I liked the professor Janis Whitlock so much that I joined her Non Suicidal Self Interest Behavior Lab, where I spent a very uplifting summer just listening from nine to five to interviews from adolescents who were engaging non suicidal self interest behavior and then interviews with their parents about what they were experiencing. And I was just spending over a month coding these interviews, and in that the big theme we found was that these kids wanted something called respectful curiosity. They really just wanted to be listened to. They wanted someone to want to know the why. And I mean as a podcast interviewer, right you, this is what you do. You get to know people's why.
Speaker 1: And so if we can just pause there for a second, what what fill that out for us? Because you have these these kids here who are injuring themselves what through all various means, not not suicidal, but at the at the core there's that need. Yes, I guess, uh, I guess I'm a little surprised. I'm not here, We're we're I mean in there, there's got to be a lot of pain, right, I mean, you just don't hurt yourself. So talk more fill that out for us more.
Speaker 2: So these kids. You know, the interesting part of the studies it didn't go at that moment too much into maybe the individual's traumas or emotion and regulation pieces that were leading to the self injury.
Speaker 1: They did.
Speaker 2: That was part of it. Of course, the kids told their stories, but what was going on was these kids were struggling with recovery and why could they not either stop or what was stopping them from being able to address us with their parents, that so much of self injury relies on the secret, and that nobody knows what's happening. And you know, this was two thousand and ten, no, twenty eleven, the this wasn't you know. It's been an even more increasingly studied topic since then, And a lot of the parents thought their kids were acting out trying to get attention, right, We've all heard those words in the field, and that really wasn't what was happening for these kids. And so the more that they were just being told that they were acting out for attention, the more disconnected, the less understood they felt, and the more they wanted to harm themselves because it was the only way that they were either regulating expressing, and often the way that they were self injuring had so much meaning. What they were using to self injure, where they were making the marks, what were they spelling out words or number or did they have a number of them? And all of this was just being missed because of course the parents are panicked seeing their children who they love in danger, but because they're so focused on that and aren't really regulating themselves in that moment, they're really just not engaging with that curiosity.
Speaker 1: So how do things unfold for you after that? With your work, et cetera.
Speaker 2: After that it really drove, you know, that interest in the why became even bigger. And I think that really made me curious about specifically trauma and write that risk and resiliency piece. And so I joined more research labs and eventually go to grad school. And in graduate school, it was in the clinical practice that I really started to develop an interest in complex PTSD specifically because when working with patients who could identify a trauma, whether that was sexual assaults or write a shock trauma such as war, they were showing up much more like a personality disorder would be characterized. And that's why sometimes supervisors would point out. They'd say, Oh, this diagnosis is borderline personality or this one is narcissism. And I was just very struck that we wouldn't with these clients and these trauma histories, we couldn't do all of these amazing manualized trauma treatments that were out there, because so much of that work was just building trust and getting to understand why was this person? Why was the person's character and sense of self so impacted in a way where they couldn't have this intimate relationship that would help them eventually heal. And so I then started going to places like World Trade Center and the VA and seeing what it looked like when trauma went untreated and when people had a foundation even before nine to eleven or before being you know, before their deployments, where their childhood foundation of either neglect or physical abuse or sexual abuse how played a significant role in their inability to have safe, loving relationships in the heir. Now, so.
Speaker 1: This is tough stuff, I mean hard stuff. How are you when you start doing this? Even with going back to the kids in that research project, I mean that's for a lot of people really hard to hear. How are you doing that? How are you managing that?
Speaker 2: I there's a quote. Have you ever read Theater of War by Brian Dowries Mm hmm, ten out of ten recommend It's an amazing book. And he runs these huge productions where major plays like Greek works are taken and performed in front of audiences like veterans or people in Guantanamo Bay, and through acting through these narratives, he has the community actually come together to see their pain through theater. And he has this wonderful quote where he says, trauma narratives comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable. And maybe because I am the grandchild of Holocaust survivors, There's just never been a time in my life where I can remember there not being narratives of trauma, but not in an overwhelming way as a child, but that the world is filled with people who have been through incredibly tough experiences that shape who they are. And so the idea of not listening to that narrative or not being interested in that narrative, I guess hasn't really ever overwhelmed me. It just makes me feel closer to people.
Speaker 1: And when you started doing that work, and I'm guessing this wasn't necessarily conscious, but was there What kind of a poll was there towards these people, towards the stories they were telling. Were you feeling that somehow you wanted to quote unquote help or listen or what.
Speaker 2: I thought that listening was helping that somebody.
Speaker 1: One.
Speaker 2: People like talking about themselves, but people when we feel seen and heard the termine. So much of trauma work is bearing witness when we feel that somebody wants to bear witness to our pain, that we don't have to carry it alone. I think that's when we feel safest and we can really heal, and that that's what trauma so disrupts, especially complex trauma from childhood, that ability to trust and connect with others. So right, the idea that relationships can be what break us and hurt us, they can also be what heals us. And so I've always just really loved the opportunity, whether that was as a friend or as a therapist, to be in that role.
Speaker 1: Let's talk about this topic of moral injury and untreated trauma, how it's misdiagnosed, How did that resonate become resonant for you?
Speaker 2: It was really so while we're using the word right, people get diagnosed with a personality disorder with untreated trauma. I always really loved the more jargon a clinical term of characterological disruptions, because I think when we understand trauma as disrupting a character and that ability to build our character, it really helps understand us understand why, right, somebody who experienced trauma at age six is going to show up very differently than somebody who didn't and again it was through working and getting to see first nine to eleven responders rarely who were sharing that they had built their world on being part of a system, right, that they would help others, and there was some kind of justice in the world. For some of these responders, they had childhood like a childhood experience of again either physical abuse, neglect, or sexual abuse, where they had learned to mistrust, to not trust authority figures, to not trust the system, and they became, you know, people who could help other people. That was one of the ways that they survived. They found structure in these jobs. Right, there's so much structure in being an officer, being in the fire department. And then right, seventeen years later, after nine to eleven, after this major trauma in which it wasn't just the physical trauma of what happened on nine to eleven or working in the pit for months after, it was the moral injury, right, the betrayal of what is right that America let them down. Right, they not given the benefits they needed, They were not given the medical or psychological support that they deserved, and they were just not given any financial resources that they needed. And so seventeen years later, all of that is compounding into a complete mistrust of the world and a mistrust of me in therapy. Right in you're saying you're here to help me. I've heard this before. Why should I trust you? And that's what really did it for me, being asked, right, what makes you so special that I should trust you? When this has never worked before?
Speaker 1: So what do you do with that knowledge? How does that impact your work? What's important to you?
Speaker 2: I think so much of that work has been informed really by Judith Hermann's work about establishing safety and that being the first thing we do. And you know, in our field, that's something that I think is not so unusual. It's not definitely not unique to me, the idea of really establishing trust in safety and psychological report, but in other fields it's quite foreign, right with You might just develop a professional relationship as a lawyer or a doctor, but the idea that you have to win over someone's trust is not necessarily as common. And so I think I also have really developed a passionate interest in how to help people with complex trauma or how to help other professionals bridge that gap.
Speaker 1: That's interesting, So talk more about that. How do you translate that how do you communicate that to a professional who for who maybe that that is a foreign concept not in their wheelhouse, if you will.
Speaker 2: So, I actually come from a family of many lawyers. I'm the black sheep as the psychologist, and my so my experience when I'm you know, interacting with family or other lawyers that I know is so often you can make a case out of anything, but you have to have your evidence. Does your argument make sense? And there's a you know, there's a lot of love of the rational, and complex trauma does not love rational right, and they're what I love. What I love about psychology in the mind is right with the why is there's always if you go far enough, you will get to the why and it will make sense. But you have to take the journey to get there. And that is what I really enjoy helping other professionals understand, is to have that patience to get there.
Speaker 1: That you do you find yourself having to explain and or justify why that why is important.
Speaker 2: Absolutely. I think helping other professionals understand when the basis of complex trauma, where it's coming from, right, how disrupted this person's trust system and sense of self. Is that when you're coming in and telling them you do this right. If you, you know, don't get into any arguments or fights while you were, you know, incarcerated, it's going to look better to the judge. Makes total sense when you say it that way. However, when your client, something happens, right, your client gets into a fight, gets into an argument, something happens with another inmate. Lawyers can get frustrated. You're hurting the case. Right, there's your clients now hurting the case. They're not working with you, and there might be an inclination to reprimand right, you can't do that, you shouldn't do that, and helping lawyers and other pressions understand that that isn't what the person needs in that moment. The person has been chastised and berated and humiliated really by authority figures and systems their whole life. And so in this opportunity, starting with why did you get in the fight? Why did that happen? I know you know that that's not a good idea, so why there had to be a reason. And then once you get to the reason, then you can kind of work with the person and say I completely understand where that came from and let's talk about how that isn't That behavior isn't going to help our joint goal.
Speaker 1: Is is that their job? Though? Would at night? Would it not be more? And I guess every example is different, or every circumstance is different, but maybe it would even open the door for them to say, you know what, let's bring in doctor Rachel Siegfried speak with her. This really sounds like you're dealing with a kid right who is having explosive behavior, and we're berating that kid for all the explosive behavior when we're not really looking at what the hell's going on behind the scenes here with this kid.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, I think bringing in a psychologist is great. There are a few things when you have to have the money and resources for that, right and you have to get your client to agree and to trust to that. If your client doesn't already trust you, they're not exactly going to be in client, especially if they come from a background where psychologists stigmatized that they're going to say, you're now you think I'm crazy? Right now, you're just going to send me to a shrink. There was a totally real reason I did that, you know So I think that there's I love when people would bring in a consultation that I think the lawyer also has to be able to work with the person, and the person has to be able to trust their lawyer. And so I think that's where sometimes asking the why and knowing your limits, right, if you feel that you're not able to navigate that conversation, maybe it's bringing in a professional who can and having them there with you.
Speaker 1: But so in the bio, I mentioned that you authored a chapter. What was that about? Specifically? Are you able to talk about that a little bit?
Speaker 2: It's specifically actually about this. It is going through and breaking down a lot of the jargon that is in complex trauma research and explaining kind of that foundation of the loss of autonomy, the loss of trust, feelings of inferiority, and how those will play out can play out within the system and with your clients, and how to even maybe start seeing flags to even think about the question of trauma. Is your client being labeled as difficult? Do they carry multiple diagnoses of different mood or psychotic disorders? And that I think a lot of the times those can be really great indicators that is the person really that difficult or is the person pushing back because they're feeling disregulated or trapped or victimized.
Speaker 1: Again, feels like you're educating a whole population. I mean, does this come Is this something that's like a brief workshop in law school? If at all, are they I would that would you know? Are they taught this any portion of this? No?
Speaker 2: Not that it in my experience, No that I've heard. I've never heard of people saying that in law school they got a class on maybe like you know, how to use psychology in vordear or something else, but not how to deal with clients who are struggling with mental illness and how to really question trauma as a basis.
Speaker 1: What we talk more specifically about why this became important to you.
Speaker 2: So all of my training was within hospital systems, and my last year was at Elmhurst, and it was during the pandemic UH and it was really hard to see when our clients were already struggling in world where everything's shut down. But so often when I was working on inpatient units, I was getting called to the unit to handle my patient because the patient wasn't cooperating with the psychiatrist, the patient had gotten into a fight with the nurses, or and so it felt like I was constantly being a parent called to school right because your kid did something and it didn't feel right for the client. Right. These patients are here because they're really struggling right there there, because they've had a psychotic break or wanted to done their life, and nobody it didn't feel like people weren't necessarily trying to understand them because it's an overwhelmed public hospital system. There were absolutely people who did, but in that overwhelmed system, you can't spend as much time as you want to with each client, right, and so right when clients aren't taking their medication, it's we're going to go to court or you're gonna have to take it, And well, why don't you want to take it? Right? I've heard clients say, because I'm drowsy. This is a co ed unit. I don't feel safe. That's a great reason if you've experienced sexual trauma and people are saying, well, they didn't tell me that. They didn't tell me that during intake. Of course they didn't. They hadn't built any trust yet.
Speaker 1: Mm hmm. What do you think allows you to do this work? Because you seem I asked that question because there's a particular obviously curiosity that you have or almost like a need you have to get in there. And what listen ask these questions? What is it?
Speaker 2: I feel like I've just always felt this. It's just everybody does make sense at the end of the day, like there's a grain of truth at the end of the day. And I just I love a puzzle. I do. I loved to puzzle so much. You know, I'll spend way too much time on sadogu.
Speaker 1: So and is it is it like we need to find out what's behind or beneath We're at the core of this, And that's important because why.
Speaker 2: I think once we understand where our behaviors and our feelings are coming from, we can have so much more empathy for ourselves. And right if we feel that we're doing something and it doesn't make sense to us or to anyone else, that's incredibly painful. Right when we feel that we are doing something right, maybe it's that I push away everyone I feel close to. Maybe I understand that, but if nobody else understands why, I'm going to feel incredibly lonely, I'm gonna feel even lonelier than I already did, because I'm not being seen, and that if I don't understand why I'm doing it now, I just I feel crazy. I feel disconnected, And I think I've such a gift to be able to feel that we make sense to ourselves and that others can then also understand us.
Speaker 1: I think it's interesting to be doing this as a psychologist, but it takes on a different aura or you when you were educating other popular or other other professionals about this. Right again, it's it's it's it's a language that they don't normally use, and it's asking. I feel it's asking them to do something that. Okay, it doesn't matter to me why they're doing it. They they created this problem or this X, and why happened. We now we got to deal with all that. Why are you asking me to deal with why? Why is that important? Why is why important?
Speaker 2: You know? I definitely I've gotten this from my parents when they last at different points, like I've got this case. I'm thinking, oh, if you thought about asking here, and they're like, uh, you know, go down that road, and I think that it is. My answer is always kind of you don't have to do right, You don't have to go down the road of the y. But the person you're deeming difficult, they're gonna stay difficult, have fun. Right, you're not going to get any trust. You might do a great job on their behalf. I don't doubt that there's write that ethic there. You might do a wonderful job as their attorney. Can you do more? Can you be a different experience for this person? Does that matter to you? And my answer is I hope yes. It isn't their job, but you can be, as you know, you can be a different chapter in someone else's story through these small acts, and.
Speaker 1: Which I mean just right, I mean it's very into seem to say, well, it's not you know, as I said, it may not be their job, it may not be part of their job description. But it's also interesting to think that people who you know necessarily maybe go into that field. Maybe that's not part of their makeup to ask that particular question, right, and whereas for you or myself it would be. But as you're saying, it's crucial to working with the people they're going to be working with.
Speaker 2: Wow, it matters to the clients. And right, if you're saying I wanted you write by the client, then here's another tool in that toolkit that can really surf you also can serve their defense, right that understanding that this person might have done something violent or criminal, and can we also understand the foundation of trauma and how that could have had an impact or mitigating factors. There's also a legal you know, if you add in, hey, this could benefit your legal defense or your legal strategy. It isn't tech that I think that part is a little bit more enticing too.
Speaker 1: So as we kind of wine down here, Rachel, in what capacity now are you working? Who do you work with?
Speaker 2: I'm currently in transitioning to private practice and this spring I'm starting my own private practice. I work with individuals across a range of dimensions, not just complex trauma, but with relationships, stress work, stress, depression, anxiety, and I also work with couples and I really love that work as well. Just getting back to the whys, right, everybody in this relationship has a why for what they're doing, and can you see your partners why? I love that work. So that's who I'm working with these.
Speaker 1: Days, all right, And we'll have links for all your stuff up here at the show notes page at the Trauma Therapist podcast dot com. So good all right, Rachel, thanks so much for taking to take care all right,