Speaker 1: What do you got three new potato piles, mister potato bird, mister potato fish, and mister potato bugs. That's a funny potato bugading me and Jahn. That's a nice potato fish.
Speaker 2: Follow caw.
Speaker 1: I like your potato bird doings that simple? Let's see him, mister potato birds, mister potato but mister vocato bet mister potato head and his pals.
Speaker 2: Ha ha ha.
Speaker 3: Welcome to Amusing Jews, where we celebrate Jewish contributors and contributions to American popular culture. I'm Jonathan Friedman and I'm Jelly Angelfield producer engineer Mike Tomran is working somewhere behind the scenes. Amusing Jews is a project of a Dot Caverine Cargation for Humanistic Judaism, the Jewish Museum of the American West, and Atheist United Studios. Hey, Joey.
Speaker 1: Some of the most.
Speaker 3: Important names to me growing up didn't belong to people, but to toy companies, names like Hasbro, Mattel Kinner, Toy Biz, and Galoob. Unknown to me at the time, these toy companies and many others were founded by Jews. We're happy to chat with Michael Kimmel, the Sunny Distinguished Professor Emeritus of Sociology and Jedder Studies at Stonybrook University, whose latest book is Playmakers, The Jewish Entrepreneurs who created the toy industry in America. Michael, welcome to Amusing Jews.
Speaker 1: Well, nice to be with you guys. Thanks.
Speaker 4: You're a sociologist with expertise in men and masculinities? What led you to write about toys?
Speaker 1: Retirement? For one thing? So I'm professor emeritis and in twenty twenty I retired and COVID hit, and I've started thinking like what's my next writing project? And and all girl.
Speaker 2: All.
Speaker 1: During my childhood there was a photograph on my piano at home, and it was a photograph of an older man with a very well known child actress on his on sitting on his knee. Now I knew, and everybody knows who Shirley Temple is, but I had, you know, I didn't really know who the guy who's on whose lap she was sitting was was. And my mom told me that he was Mars mcdum, and he was he was himself a famous man, and I thought, okay, I didn't know anything about it. So here I am sitting there, going, what am I going to write my next project about it? I said, maybe I'll write about him. He has a really interesting story. So I began to dig found out some more of his story, and so and so that was the beginning of the book was simply, I'm going to tell my family story. It's going to be about one hundred pages long, and I'm going to basically find out everything I can about where he grew up in the in you know, in in uh well, in the Minsk district of what's now Belarus, how he made it to the US, what he you know, what he did, and and and that'll be it. It'll be a short family story. Uh And then I sort of plunged in and was instantly way over my head.
Speaker 3: Well, of course his story has a lot to do with the Teddy Bear, if you want to tell us about that.
Speaker 1: So Mars's story, he was a younger brother. His older brother Harris, was taking over the you know, the the the family farm in in in the schedtle that they lived in, and and so Mars was prime for the Russian army. So his family staged a mock funeral, declared that he had died of typhus, and they staged a mock funeral, buried a coffin filled with rocks, and he quietly slipped over the border, ended up as so many did in Vilnius. My great grandfather, uh how Trus, my great great uncle Marris and his wife Rose, all came to the US around the same time, ended up in Castle Garden. In about eighteen ninety two ninety three, Mars and Rose his wife opened a candy store in the bedsince the I wasit neighborhood in Brooklyn, the candy store was a very important neighborhood institution, sort of think of the barbershop in the black community in the nineteen sixties or so. It was the center of social life. Everybody hung out there. It used to be. By nineteen hundred it was probably the only place around that had a telephone. So if you got a telephone call, people would go to your apartment or your tenement knock on your doors that you have a phone call. You go down, you go to the candy store and pick up the phone. Okay, so, and the candy store also was the place where you bought newspapers. Morris being having that a failed rabbinical student read them all, and in one day in nineteen oh two, he was reading the newspapers and he saw a cartoon that showed Theodore Roosevelt standing there with a gun and in the background was somebody holding a little bear cub. And the story was that Roosevelt had been in the South adjudigating a boundary dispute between Louisiana and Mississippi, and afterwards he was tired and he said, I'm gonna go bear hunting in Mississippi. So he goes bear hunting and after a week they find nothing, no bears, and he's grumpy. So finally they find this little old strike to be bear. They grab it, the dog's corner it. They tie it to a tree and they say, come on, tr you can shoot this bear. He takes one look at the bear and says, I'm not killing that bear now. For some reason, along on this trip was Clifford Berryman. Clifford Berryman was a cartoonist, the daily cartoonist for the Washington Post, and he drew this cartoon of Theodre Roosevelt refusing to shoot the bear. And for some unknown reason, I have no idea why Marris thought this was adorable. He said, the czar was never so nice, and and so he decided that, uh that So he said to Rose, hey, you know, let's go. Let's go to the basement, put together some scraps and material, and let's make a little, you know, a little replica of this bear that t R had refused to kill. They put it in the window of the candy store. Fine, everything was going fine, and people came by and said, that's really cool. What is that? They said, well, you know the story they were at here of Theodore Roosevelt. They said, I want one, and suddenly they began to everybody wanted them. So so apparently now this is that's that part we know is true. What we don't know is the next part, which is kind of family myth. Mars and Rose called it Teddy's Bear and wrote to Roosevelt and said, hey, we'd like to make these, and we'd like to use your name. Said, okay, if we call it Teddy's Bear. And Roosevelt apparently said, and this is the myth, marcause this letter has never been found, but apparently he wrote back on White House stationary, I have no idea if my name would be of any value in the bear business, but you're welcome to use it. And that's the origin of the Teddy Bear. That's how Teddy Bear started was my great great uncle Mars and his wife Rose Micdum in a candy store in Bedford Stuyvesant in Brooklyn when you asked me, like, why do you write this book? Okay, that's as far as I got. And I thought, and if you ever ever tried to, like done research or try to write a book, one of the things that happens is you reach a point where you say, Okay, I'm at the end of my knowledge here. I don't know anything more. And yet there was a question that I was facing, which is what else was going on in toyland? What are the other toy companies? As if I had not asked that question, you would not have the book. I asked the question, and I said, okay, let me find out. How come there's no history. It's the American toy industry, right. So I started to look and it turned out that all but one of the major toy companies and at the turn of the twentieth century were founded by first generation Jews. Now, for you guys, I just want to be clear I used the term first generation to refer to those who were born the first generation born ear born of immigrant parents, very poor lower East side tenements, you know, had nothing, but they had this. They had these ideas about what they could do and what niche they could fill, and that's what they did. So I'm talking, for example, about the Hasbro the Hassenfeld brothers who land, who came first to Rhode Island and made bags out of scrap material. Then they made doctor kits, and eventually their first toy was potato Head Mattel, which grew up where you guys live, which really was founded in the post war Europe to take advantage of the exploding plastics industry. But at the turn of the century, all the doll companies Aaron B F and B, Louis Marx, Lionel Trains, every single one of them from Madame Alexander Dolls, all of them were founded by first generation Jews. So I thought to myself, this is a story I never read. I bet I now, I so, okay, I want to now I want to find out about it. So that's what that's that's how the book started.
Speaker 3: I think some of you're alluding to and why there may be is this lacuna in the history of Jews, is that, just like comic books, took a long time for that history to be written. And now it's fairly well known. You know, toys generally speaking, are considered disposable, especially from a historian's PERSPECTI I who look for more serious things. And the whole idea of like looking at material culture of a more commercial or a more you know, mass produced perspective is fairly new. And your book is is a great you know, I hope first study, because this should be an entire field as far as I'm concerned.
Speaker 1: It was also that it wasn't until fairly recently that historians have even begun to think about childhood and history and childhood as having a history, and you know what childhood was like? And you know, I think that what these what these first generation Jews did was they basically furnished it. They basically created the material culture for children. But it wasn't until even like the nineteen seventies that really in the US there are histories of childhood. And when you do histories of childhood, you have two things. You have to deal with, how children could, what children consumed, and how it was sold to them, and so I feel like that was there was a big gap.
Speaker 3: Mister Potato had coming from Hasbro. He always was pretty Jewish.
Speaker 1: Saying that is really interesting because you know, if you lived in Europe, the story of Morris mcdim and the Ideal Toy Company and the teddy Bear would be a completely different story. People in Europe believe that the Steife Company invented the teddy bear because they were already a well known to Most toys in nineteen hundred in the United States were either handmade, homemade rag dolls and little wooden toys and stuff full toys or imported from Germany. Germany was the center for the entire toy industry in the Western world, and so so you would hear that Stiff invented the teddy bear, although Morris seems to have invented it a year or two earlier. But Steife had all the marketing muscle in the beginning, so they had the distribution. So I credit them. They made a great teddy bear. But if you look at the difference, there's a picture in the book of the Steife teddy Bear and the Victim teddy Bear, and it's impossible to look at the two of them go. You know, the Steiffe bear is very is standing, you know, head up like this, and the Teddy bear that's in the Smithsonian, the ideal teddy bear. He's sort of slumpy, he's sort of sitting. He has a frown, and you think, you know, he looks Jewish.
Speaker 4: Enjoying the show, Click like and subscribe. Although your book mostly centers on Eastern European Jewish immigrants, there's also a part of it that's about the department stores and their part in the popularization of toys. Can you tell us a little bit about that?
Speaker 1: Sure, you know, there's a big debate about how the German Jews received the Eastern European in Yiddish Jews. On the one hand, the German Jews who came in the middle of the nineteenth century were middle class and upper middle class. They were quite prosperous. They assimilated very quickly. And then in the eighteen starting in the mid eighteen eighties, suddenly these two point five million of these Yiddish speaking any Lists or Steatle Jews arrived and a large number of the German Jews were We're not them, no, no, they're like Jews, We're Americans, and you know, they wanted nothing to do with them, and they wrote these kind of disgusting critiques of stettle of tenement life because they wanted to distance themselves. There were many other German Jews who founded all the Hebrew charities that as people streamed off of these frigates, said you have any skills, here, we have a place for you. Here, you have any money, we can we can find you a bed here, any relatives. So there was all of the Jewish charities in the at the turn of the century were found were founded by the German Jews. And that's really those Eber charities is really the origin of the whole field of social work in New York. In the nineteen tens and twenties. At the same time, many of those German Jews founded the all of I mean almost all of the premiere department stores in America. And I'm not just talking about like Bloomingdale's or Toys r Us or Fao Schwartz, but within five years of its founding, Macy's and I Magnen and Abraham and Strauss and Berghoff, Goodman and Gimbals. So what these these Jewish toymakers had was was they had their relatives and friends as the sales force. But they had a place to sell. And once that, once that you know, kind of manufacturing infrastructure was in place, they had they they had a pathway to you know, the kind of upward mobility that they were seeking. I mean, in a way, I guess you guys you know, will appreciate this, of course. I mean, the whole book is really an assimilationist story. These poor people come off the boat and they're thinking where do we fit in? Like, how can we make it in this place? And they found a niche, They helped each other and and they had an already existing infrastructure.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's very similar, like we were saying with comic books or the music or film industries, where you had these outsiders who used a vacant sort of field, something that wasn't attractive to the the elite, and through their contributions to it, created a culture that they themselves could live in.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 3: So that's the that's the truest.
Speaker 1: It's like an.
Speaker 3: Active assimilation if that makes sense, very very much.
Speaker 1: But to introduce the comic books, I think you have to add another element to the equation, and that element is of course anti Semitism, because the story of the Jewish comic book artists was they all want they won't want her to be artists and go into advertising. But in the thirties and forties, the advertising business in New York City was very white shoe It was very Protestant. They didn't like Catholics, and they certainly didn't like Jews. So these guys would show up to the ad agency with their portfolio and the company and the guy interviewing them would say are you Jewish? And guy would say yes, he said, okay, we have our quota of Jews. Sorry, now that quota may have been zero, but so Jews are you know you know that phrase, you know, when life gives you lemons, make lemonade. So Jews are the ultimate lemonade makers. Like, Okay, we can't go into advertising as artists, all right, we'll, you know, we'll start our own. We'll go to the pulps, we'll start doing it. We'll start doing art there, sort of like the way that in Hollywood, you know, Jews, you know, Jews said you won't let us into your country club. Okay, we'll start our own. So what I'm what I'm trying to say is you can't understand this story simply by this kind of wide eyed vision and you know, finding a niche. It's also confronting anti Semitism and finding a way around it and through it.
Speaker 3: Yeah exactly. And those fields were open largely because they were disreputable, and that's where the Jews could go because it wasn't guarded by all the moneyed interests of the day.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, exactly. You know murder Incorporated.
Speaker 4: For example, as you mentioned, you connect toys to other child centric industries like the comic books, parenting magazines, and children's literature. Why is this context important?
Speaker 1: So as I was writing this book, my second question after I did all this stuff about the early toys was where did they get their ideas for toys? And one place they went was the comic strips. Comic strips, you know, in newspapers were I mean everybody read them. They had millions and millions of readers every and and some of the most famous ones like Joe Peluca drawn by Ham Fisher, a first generation Jew, or Lil Abner, the most famous comic strip of you know, probably of the century before Phenuts was drawn by al Cap, a first generation Jew who actually never set foot in the South. He uh, you know, but so what what I don't know if you ever read Lil Abner as a kid, but I did. And it's Mammy and Pappy yoakum in dog Patch and his rural. Basically it's a seddle in Appalachia. He just transposed the whole thing. So so I'm now. And then of course comic books and the derivatives of comic books like Mad Magazine and you know, all of those other and the novelties. So all of these are first generation Jews, including this was a big surprise to me. Carousels, the carousel horses and lions in every major amusement park in the country were carved by Jews. They were the guys who carved you know, in like Central Europe. You know the arcs in the synagogue that as the lions around the arc. These are the guys they left. They came here, they needed a job, and some guy very wisely in Coney Island said We're gonna make a carousel, you know, come work for me. So so even the horses and lions of carousels. And then in the middle of all this I, you know, I stumbled on this list. The near Public Library had a list of one hundred most important children's books of the twentieth century, and forty two of the authors of those were first generation Jews. I said, well, that's interesting, you know. So then I started looking at the histories of some of those children's books, and they all have these amazing stories, not only you know, I mean the obvious ones like Sendek and Ezra. Jack Keats's snowy Day Curious George is one of my favorite stories because you know, it's literally but a couple living in Paris. You know, the story of furious Georgia and the Germans are coming through from Belgium, moving down into into France from the set from the north and the east, and the night before they arrived, you know that great scene of the German troops marching down the Chauncyse. They the night before Marguerite at Margaret and Hans Ryerbach grab some bicycle parts, put together these bicycles and ride south and west into Spain, eventually to Lisbon and come to the US. And in their backpack is that is the drawing of this crazy impish monk whose name was Fifi, and they get here and they find a publisher of children's books, and the publisher says, let's change fefe, you know, like and that's how Curious George was born. So in a way, Joey, this is why this is important because when I read these books, when I was reading these books to my kid, I didn't know it had a backstory like this. And I want parents and grandparents to know the backstory of Snowy Day or or you know, or or Frog and Toader Friends, or all of those books that you had read to you when you were a little kid.
Speaker 5: They have these backstories, including Eloise. For God's sake, I mean Eloise, your boys. So you probably didn't read Eloise when you were a kid.
Speaker 1: But Eloise lives on the tip on the tippity top floor of the Plaza Hotel, right, and she's as waspy as they can be. And you had no idea that Kay Thompson was a first generation Jewet from Saint Louis. So I wanted to give the backstory. I wanted you to know. I wanted people to know there's a story behind this story that you're reading. And it's a really moving one, as you're.
Speaker 3: Saying it's all connected, because part of what you convey in the book is that all of these things were basically, in one way or another, connected to the invention of childhood as a phenomenon that wasn't necessarily recognized before all of these you know, things for children were being created.
Speaker 1: Why here, why these Jews and why at that time? And it turns out that they happened to arrive at the turn of the twentieth century, at the very moment that progressive idea. Progressivism was beginning to take hold and was beginning to articulate a new idea of childhood in the first place, ending child labor laws for example, a campaign that lasted for quite some time, compulsory school. All of these forces were already moving to demarket. In nineteen oh four, the psychologist G. Stanley Hall said, you know, there's a if you know, kids would grow up and after primary school they go to work on the farm, they go to work in a factory, they go to work in a coma. And he said, you know, kids are like are living longer, extending that period before work. And he said that the time between primary school and the end of high school was what he called Adolescents. Nineteen oh four, he wrote this sixteen hundred page book about about this new stage of development between childhood and adulthood. So you can see how it's elongating. So what were these children going to do if they were in school and not working and they had so part of it was it was good timing. The second thing I think is they these these poor steadled Jews. You know, somehow they came to this country with you know, these old beat up cardboard suitcases held together with string. But they had a different idea of what childhood should be. Moving backward a little bit, it wouldn't surprise any any of your listeners to know that the first kindergartens in the US were Jewish. Families flocked to them. The first Montessori schools were all filled with Jews. And partly because if you look at the child rearing literature from the Middle from the end of the nineteenth to the early twentieth century, that standard childbearing literature was this, children are wilful. The goal of child rearing is to break their will. And I mean some of the great books about child rearing were things like if your child, if your baby is wait up in the middle of the night and is crying. Go into their room and give them a good spanking and that'll stop. Others like John Watson, the great child development writer in nineteen twenty eight, tests to parents, don't hug or kiss your child. You can pat your son on his forehead when he goes to sleep and shake his hand in the morning. And these steadied Jews come with this idea from the Talmud that children are creative, they're curious, they're to be nurtured, they'd be encouraged, and if they're not going to find the stuff to do it, they're gonna make it up. So I also think that these Jews came with what I would call a different vision, a different idea of childhood, and then they created the material culture to nurture it. Yeah.
Speaker 3: For some reason, before I read your book, I didn't realize that Eric Erickson was Jewish.
Speaker 1: Ah, so this is right. Well, Eric Erison is a trip. But so that's the last piece of the book is really saying. And the theorist, the great theorist of the twentieth century, who created developmental psychology, who created child psychology, Eric Erickson, Uri Brafenbrenner, Hien Ganad, Carol Gilligan, Lawrence Kolberg, and the dean of all of the Abraham Maslow, all of them first generation Jews. Eric Erickson was also a first generation self hating Jew. His real name was Eric Comber, and he was embarrassed about this, and so he renamed himself. And what more American thing can you be than such a self made man that he's Eric's son of Eric, right, he'll give birth to himself. And this is like the greatest theorist of childhood that we have. So yes, that's the last piece, is the theories of child development. As curious as you know, Maslow's hierarchy of needs come not just material needs, but emotional ery. It's so Jewish.
Speaker 3: Your book looks at toys chronologically from the turn of last century to the nineteen seventies. What are some of the major changes you've noticed along the way.
Speaker 1: There were many different changes that happened, among them the development of materials, like if you try if you bought a doll in nineteen oh five, Let's say the head was porcelain and you never played with it. It sat on a shelf. And it was the Ideal Toy company that created a unbreakable doll head that girls could actually play with, and that was a big innovation. Other innovations, of course, you know, probably the most important one is the television in nineteen fifty five when the when the Mickey Mouse Club first aired. It changed the toy business because instead of instead of advertising in Look magazine or Life magazine or Parade magazine, you could advertised directly to children. You could market to them and they would be your salesman. You didn't have to tell parents parents children were like this. You were able instead to say kids telling your mom and dad, do you want this for Christmas? And so that was of course, that's a major change. One of the things that was interesting to me, you know, Joe, you led off by saying, you know that I was at my career prior to this book was about, you know, was the sociologists of gender and masculinity. And I was looking at the at the ads and thinking about the way girls and boys played in the nineteen fifties and sixties when I grew up, and girls played with their dolls and their peers and their girlfriends. So you know, if you had your classic tea party, you would have two girls and two of their dolls, and the four of them would sit at the table and they would have And here's what you never saw mom. You never saw mother playing with children. Now look at the ads for the toys for boys. It's all father son bonding. Fathers are completely engaged with their sons. They're playing battleship together, They're playing with the model trains, they're having a cat And part of that, I think is that. And the language of the ads is Lionel Trains makes him feel like a man and makes me feel like a boy, you know. And these guys are coming back from the war utterly traumatized. They're moving into the suburbs. They're wondering, like what am I going to do now with my life? There's an entire infrastructure being built for them for their return, the Interstate highway system, public schools, the GI Bill, to help them reintegrate. And one of the ways that they did that, I mean you probably there. There's good histories of the fifties. It's like, guys develop a hobby, right, you know, you should have a all the all these suburban guys were learning how to play golf terribly and whatever. You know, they they all developed hobbies and one and the bonding with their children. I experienced this with my own dad. I went out for Little League. Suddenly my father decided to become an umpire in Little League. You know, he hadn't he hadn't thought about baseball in years. But so I think I think that the advertising, the whole idea of toys for boys was a bonding experience with fathers. And mothers are completely absent in the in the in the kind of layout of toys for girls. And that one of the reasons, of course for that is Barbie. They had an older friend, they had, they had already something older than them to aspire to.
Speaker 3: Why is material culture is so important to understanding American Jewish history?
Speaker 1: I think Jewishness is really important to the study of material culture. There's a ton of studies of material culture out there, like what are the things people use to make the meaning in their lives? The idea of material culture is like what are the things we use? So? You know, so like the anthropologists will follow like Levey Strauss and look at the way that people eat and how they put silverware and where they put it in, and the raw and the cooked. How come we have different words for raw foods and cooked foods. You know, you know, all of those have to do with culture and class. And I felt like, we know that there's a material culture of childhood because we know that there's the children's books and the comics and the toys they play with and the ways they play with them, and people study that, and I wanted to say, hey, wait a minute, this also has an ethnic an ethnic foundation as well as a developmental one, and that's the story that's not been there and I think was really important.
Speaker 3: Thank you so much, Michael for joining us.
Speaker 1: Really a pleas where to be with you guys.
Speaker 3: And to our audience. Now back to your regularly scheduled lives.
Speaker 4: Amusing Jews is here to amuse you. If you like being amused, go ahead and click like and subscribe.