Speaker 1: This is Gary and Shannon and you're listening to k i AM six forty The Gary and Shannon Show on demand on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 2: Gary and Shannon k i AM six forty Live everywhere on the iHeartRadio app. It is a Friday, which means late in the show, we're going to do what you learned this week on The Gary and Shannon Show.
Speaker 1: So do you like your cast members? Are they people you've worked with before in adult theater?
Speaker 3: Most of them? Yes? Oh that's nice. I mean most of them I've worked with. Yeah, there's a familiarity. Good. Yeah. Was that the end line of questions?
Speaker 1: How far along is a rehearsal situation? Are you guys pretty much done with it?
Speaker 3: Now?
Speaker 1: How far along are you into the play? Do you do it like act one? Or do you do like How does it go?
Speaker 2: There's four acts right up to this point, we've done one.
Speaker 3: Act per rehearsal.
Speaker 2: I see, so we do Act one notes, turn around, start from the beginning, do it again, turn around, do it from the beginning. That's how we've done it. This weekend, we start with we're going to do X one and two together, ah, and then three and four and then by sometime next weekend probably we'll do all all of them together.
Speaker 1: Is there somebody who's a weaker cast member who forgets their lines and you're like.
Speaker 3: Bob, Yes, Bob is a jerk.
Speaker 1: Who doesn't do the work unl unless they're listening a world in which they could listen to the show, there's.
Speaker 2: Nobody who's not a professional.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I know what's going on? All right?
Speaker 4: Good good morning, Gary and Shannon. Yes, my six year old grandson calls me yah yah, so every time I hear his name, it just is cringey.
Speaker 3: Sorry.
Speaker 4: Plus, my name is Katrina, just like the hurricane.
Speaker 3: Oh great, two fir. That's awesome.
Speaker 5: It's great that you guys talked about testicles. It's actually a very important subject because the testosterones inside those testicals, that testosterone gives the man or male or an animal their ego, their power. They're forced and you're going to hear more about this very very soon to hopefully air on your show.
Speaker 3: Really, Ay bye, Jacob.
Speaker 1: Do you and Steve have a testicle special that you're working.
Speaker 3: On, not that I know of, No, huh.
Speaker 1: I wonder when we're going to hear more. Is there some sort of testical movement upon us?
Speaker 3: Is there a breakthrough?
Speaker 1: Is this like when RFK or JFK Junior was supposed to show up in Detroit or something?
Speaker 3: Oh, and Jesus too, right?
Speaker 1: And Jesus is this is there like a testicles the moment that's going to happen.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 1: We should research us. I didn't know that we were going to hearing more about testicles. Furthermore, Yes, I wonder where my ego comes from because I don't have testicles. And if it's in the testicles, why are you looking at me like that?
Speaker 2: I just feel like you're undercutting you. Also do have testosterone in your body, right, clearly I should probably get that checked. Nah, maybe I should take something. What do you take to make yourself more of us?
Speaker 3: Yeah? You probably take estrogen or progest awful. I do not want more of that. I don't know how to all right, what do you want to do?
Speaker 1: You want to do the dead person on the beach or do you want to do a diet soda?
Speaker 2: Well, let's just do the diet soda thing. Because we've talked about wellness issues before, foods that we eat, et cetera, and people being caught up in this whole idea that if you drink a diet soda you can do the double happy meal or whatever you're doing.
Speaker 3: And I've been caught up with that as well.
Speaker 2: But a Harvard trained gastro enterologist has come out with a video specifically detailing four reasons why you looking at you specifically should not drink diet soda.
Speaker 3: Harvard and Stanford Coast to.
Speaker 2: Coast dot surub uh saab Seti says, first of all, women who drink two or more diet sodas a day, Now that's a lot. That is a lot, but there's a lot of people who do that. One or two of drink diet sodas a day. For women, they face a significantly higher risk of heart attack and stroke. And they said it's specifically dangerous for women who don't have a history of heart disease or diabetes. That the second thing is the high phosphorus content in diet sodas can contribute to chronic kidney disease.
Speaker 3: I drink like a half a cup once a week.
Speaker 2: You don't even finish. Yeah, I say, you don't finish that bottle that you drink. The third thing, drinking diet sodas can negatively impact insulin sensitivity and disrupt your gut biome.
Speaker 1: What about testosterone? Is there anything in there about that.
Speaker 2: I probably would strip away whatever testosterone you have. Really, I don't know, I'm just making that part up. Finally, the doctor said, diet sodas can increase your cravings for those high calorie foods, disrupting appetite control, which is part of the reason why you think you're drinking diet coke in the first place, is because it's not going to make you eat those high calorie foods, when in fact that's what it is. There is a push going on, by the way, between RFK Junior and his new would you say, companionship with former President Trump in the campaign.
Speaker 3: One of the things that go ahead, You're right, what.
Speaker 1: Aspartame in particular inhibits the synthesis and the secretion of testosterone.
Speaker 3: That was a wild guess on my part.
Speaker 1: Well, you're a doctor now, apparently, screw Harvard and screw Stanford.
Speaker 2: One of the things RFK it wants to do is he says we're going to become the healthiest nation on Earth. And that's why we use the term MAHA. Make America healthy again.
Speaker 1: I've seen some banners and things like this, particularly in Orange County as the spot I'm thinking of where it's there's a big banner along pch it says, make America Healthy Again, and then there's a big Trump sign.
Speaker 3: He seems to be it's connected. Those two are connected. There is one thing to be said about or not one thing.
Speaker 2: There's many things to be said about the importance of having a healthy country. If a you're just talking about the cost of healthcare, the cost of treating chronic illnesses from birth to death. I mean, we spend so much money on avoidable problems in our population.
Speaker 1: Do you think we see that in our lifetime in terms of the pendulum swinging the other way and us moving away from excess and process foods, and the generation after, the next generation goes super healthy and strips down all of that and is clean eating and makes all the right decisions.
Speaker 2: Well, I've never seen it used like this before, and maybe I just don't remember it, but I've never seen it you used as a political topic before. It's always been about look good, feel good, you know, be able to move some play good, whatever it is.
Speaker 3: But it's a very personal thing.
Speaker 2: This this kind of movement is more about how it impacts us as a country, as a nation, as a as a culture, that we change the way we do this, because there's so many other changes that would come along with that, less you know, less suffering late in life kind of stuff, you know, where not everybody gets cancer like it seems kind of like the way it is now. And the second part about it is not just economically but national security wise.
Speaker 3: The fatter we get China come get us, They're gonna they.
Speaker 2: Are gonna roll through us like skinny people through fat people. I mean, that's maybe that's the right way to put it, but that's there is an issue. I mean, if we can't rec fruit for our military, what's because of.
Speaker 3: An issue though.
Speaker 1: The unhealth of the country or the inability or lack of want to serve in the military.
Speaker 2: Yes, I think they go hand in hand. I don't know which one is worse.
Speaker 1: I mean, there's a lot of people who are not obese or overweight who would never serve in the military.
Speaker 3: My god, which is so weird. It's very weird. It's very weird.
Speaker 2: Because it's that same military that has protected our freedom, that allowed them to make such a decision.
Speaker 1: I know, I know, look good, feel good, play good. They pay you good, thank you, Dion pay.
Speaker 2: Shien and come on man, the Vikings play the NFC champion runner up Detroit Lions.
Speaker 4: The huge conference rival.
Speaker 3: Game first time, all these good teams in that conference, someone's playing the other dude playing thank you.
Speaker 1: Listen to this the NFC North, And he makes a good point, is freaking lights out.
Speaker 3: I mean, you could argue the weakest link is the Bears there.
Speaker 1: But there's a chance for the entire NFC North to go to the playoffs. I saw that too, because there are three wild cards and they buy and large are kicking everyone else's ass when it comes to how they're playing and if they can, if they can keep that rolling, and you know, injury befalls teams, and you know, weird things happen. But right now it looks like there's a chance old division because a lot of games.
Speaker 3: There are a lot a lot of games.
Speaker 2: Hi, Gary, Hi Shannon.
Speaker 3: I have a question. Who does the voiceovers for your commercials? Sometimes it sounds like Gary, but then I'm like, no, it's not. I'm just curious who that individual is. They do a great job. Thanks well, they do a great job. It's probably me. No, So you don't do any of that? What do you mean I do commercials? Right? But I don't think that's what he means.
Speaker 2: He'd have to be specific to say which commercial right, because we got a bunch of different voice people that we.
Speaker 1: Do have different voice people. I don't think he was talking about your commercials though.
Speaker 2: I mean, if you want, you said they're great, and you think I don't do great commercials?
Speaker 3: What you just said, I.
Speaker 1: Did not say that. I think you do a great job at everything that you do.
Speaker 2: Why can't you look at me when you say things?
Speaker 1: Well, it looks like some kids drove an suv onto the beach and Santa Monica hit and killed a homeless woman in the process.
Speaker 3: Yeah kids, I don't know.
Speaker 2: Kids may be a stretch, but a twenty one year old man was arrested on suspicion of dui after this woman was run over and killed driving an Infinity SUV in circles at high speeds on the sand late last night before running over the victim woman not I immediately identified, but was lying on the sand and they said may have been asleep at the time that this accident happened. There is a makeshift homeless encampment. There were several tenths seen in the area, but that doesn't necessarily mean that that's who this was. Twenty one year old man driving this twenty fifteen Infinity SUV was the one who was going to be arrested suspicion of dy reckless driving, gross vehicular manslaughter. Huge portion of that beach had to be blocked off by police tape overnight.
Speaker 3: And into this morning. That's awful. Is that? Is that a fun thing to drive in circles on the beach?
Speaker 1: Now it's a drunk, stupid, I'm young and entitled thing, that's what that is. Second ranked Oregon visits Perdue tonight, kickoff week eight of the college football season.
Speaker 3: But the most important game.
Speaker 1: Of course, starts at two eight hour time when the Dodgers try to seal the deal to get into the World Series.
Speaker 3: There in New York. Game five.
Speaker 2: Uh Betsani combined for five hits last night.
Speaker 3: That's funny, including two home runs five RBI.
Speaker 2: Seven of the runs that were scored were scored by either shohe Otani or Mookie bets In that tended to win last night. The Guardians came back from a two point was it two runs? Yeah, two runs. It tied the game in the ninth with a home run. David Fry won the game with a two run home run in the bottom of the tenth to beat the Yankees. So as of right now, Guardians have that two to one lead their Game four is the second of the two games tonight. You mentioned the Oregon game today. UCLA is at Rutgers tomorrow morning. I think it's like a nine o'clock kickoff for US, and then USC is at Maryland just after lunch tomorrow. And Jay Cutler arrested for the DUI and Tennessee.
Speaker 3: You know, he's always come across as a complete d I don't know enough about him to make that decision. I don't either. I don't either. I'm just saying how he comes across. Jailed yesterday after he was stopped while allegedly.
Speaker 2: Du I at like five pm right two guns, including a loaded pistol Tennessee. He was arrested after a minor traffic collision. Apparently he rear ended somebody in downtown Franklin, which is an awesome little town.
Speaker 3: It sure is.
Speaker 1: A man was swindled out of twenty five thousand dollars. And you're going to hear about these more and more because scammers are getting into the AI market huge. They say that AI was used to replicate his son's voice and trick this guy into sending the money.
Speaker 2: Awful Anthony, when he talked to Channel seven didn't want to use his last name.
Speaker 6: I look like a fool. I feel like a fool, but I don't care. I want to help everybody that I can possibly help.
Speaker 2: The call came in from his finger quotes son, and he said he had been in an accident, that he had hit a pregnant woman who was rushed to the hospital. I wonder if your obgu I m that you helped at the gas station. Oh, the guy help this pregnant the multiple birth specialists.
Speaker 3: Yes, I don't know.
Speaker 2: After a short conversation with this fake voice, he got a call from someone else who claimed to be the lawyer and said that the Sun needed ninety two hundred dollars to make bail.
Speaker 1: And he said, you need to get ninety two hundred dollars as fast as you can if you want your son out of jail. Otherwise he's in for forty five days. It's interesting that it's a ninety two hundred dollars right, just detailed enough?
Speaker 3: Yeah, just enough.
Speaker 2: So he gets the money from the bank, apparently tells the bank teller, I don't know why you would need to do this, but he told the bank teller that it was for a solar panel installation.
Speaker 3: So he gets ninety two hundred dollars cash. And why would you just say it's for bail? Have no idea?
Speaker 2: The delivery apparatus is the strange thing, because he calls well, the daughter calls the lawyer. The again finger quotes lawyer and says, okay, we got the money. Now what And he says someone will be at the house. It will be an uber car any minute. Here's what the license plate is. Here's how you do it.
Speaker 3: Put it in a Manila envelope.
Speaker 2: The car pulls up in front of the house, The daughter goes out and gives the money to the uber driver.
Speaker 3: The uber driver takes off.
Speaker 2: Then somebody else called another self identified lawyer who said the bail has been raised because the woman that was involved in the accident died, so that they need another fifteen eight hundred dollars to bring the total to twenty five grand. So he gets that money and does the same delivery drop off where an Uber driver pulls up in front of his house and they give the money to the Uber car.
Speaker 3: They even picked a lawyer type name Mark Cohen.
Speaker 2: Now the daughter was the one who finally sniffed something out here and says.
Speaker 6: Dad, I hope I'm wrong. I think you have just been scammed out of twenty five thousand dollars. Never even cross my mind.
Speaker 3: And again he told Channel seven that all of this happened very much. Why did they just call the Sun?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 3: So, he says he did.
Speaker 2: After the initial call from the fake legend the Sun and then the fake lawyer, he tried to call his son back and it turned out that the call went directly to voicemail. May have been just a random thing that the son didn't get the phone call, but it all happened, he said, very very fast.
Speaker 6: Also, they moved me so fast, I'd never had a chance to do a second call unless I were to say to them, hold it, I'm stopping this whole thing for a minute. I want to talk to my son. I don't care if he's in jail or where he is. I want to talk to my son. You don't think that way.
Speaker 3: You don't what are the chances it's the daughter and the Sun?
Speaker 2: No, okay, No, I just like to think they You immediately think it had to be the family. When when police look at this, there's there's still it's still an open case. They're still trying to find whoever it was that scammed Anthony out of these twenty five thousand dollars. The Sun is fine, by the way, was never involved in an accident. I bet it feels awful. No, it's not his fault. But we've heard about these kinds of scams before, where you it doesn't always happen this way, but an older family member, whether it's a parent or a grandparent, even gets a call from a voice that they think is their relative saying something like I need money for bail, or I got stranded in Mexico or authorities.
Speaker 1: It is a demographic. This happened to my mother there where the IRS called. She believed it was the ir s because she respects authorities and the government and was taken for a lot of money.
Speaker 3: And she still beats herself up about it.
Speaker 1: But you know it, it makes sense that this would It's awful that people go after older people, you know, and take advantage of the children, the grandchildren. What have you?
Speaker 4: Now?
Speaker 3: My mom, if she gets an unidentified.
Speaker 1: Call, she answers the phone and says not high, not hello, She says fu and.
Speaker 3: She hangs up. But she says the whole thing that explains a lot. I just realized.
Speaker 2: That's okay, now, okay, yeah, because I was starting to take it personally when she would.
Speaker 3: Answer the phone, when I would call her.
Speaker 2: The other thing is, hey, this is another reason to tell your kids you don't do bail right.
Speaker 1: If you're gonna run over a pregnant woman and kill her, honey, I'm not bailing you out.
Speaker 3: It's just, you know, it's one of those things.
Speaker 2: They did say. The weird wrinkle about this story. I mean, there's a couple of them, but one of them is that they used Uber as the pickup drop off for the cash.
Speaker 3: But was it Uber? Well, they did say that they do believe they were legitimate Uber drivers, sure, but they could have been in on it. Everyone's an Uber driver, you know, many crooks or Uber drivers, they said it.
Speaker 2: And usually in these cases, drivers that are hired through Uber or Lyft are not are not involved. In fact, they oftentimes are unaware that they're even part of it. Again, not a guarantee, because, like I said, in this case specifically, they still are investigating. But it is possible that the uh, the Uber drivers didn't know anything that was going on.
Speaker 3: Are you an organ doorse?
Speaker 1: I'm an organ donor, and I firmly believe you would. You should have to opt out of being that. Everyone should be an organ donor unless you check off a box or whatever.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and for some people, we should start harvesting before you or even before you kick it.
Speaker 3: I've already got DIBs on Jacob's liver. Was it his liver? Yes, at least a portion of it.
Speaker 2: Well, I would just in terms of getting the whole radiator fixed, do liver and kidneys?
Speaker 3: Oh okay, because the kidneys are good filter for Jacob. Can I have a kidney talk about we'll talk about it.
Speaker 4: Take them both.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna see them both. It seems greedy. So no wine tonight for me, No wine tonight or gin Oh true, employees, really night is over? You know, fencing his fun right now? It's not too good.
Speaker 1: The craft beer industry is seeing a downward trend for the second year in a row. Craft beer saw no growth in twenty twenty three for the first time ever, not including the pandemic, and minus a one percent production declined for twenty twenty four.
Speaker 3: That's the worst on.
Speaker 1: Record since the Brewers Sociation began tracking industry data in the late seventies. The overall beer industry saw minus five point one percent production volume. I think it's because of all those the seltzers. I was at the game in Seattle on Thursday. I saw a record number of dudes drinking those like seltzers.
Speaker 3: And I don't know what it is.
Speaker 1: I mean, I'm sure I don't like those. They taste like chemicals to me. But it's weird seeing a dude with like a skinny seltzer can.
Speaker 3: I don't know why.
Speaker 1: And I know that that makes me sound old and antiquated, and that plenty of the youth like to drink those seltzers smle and female.
Speaker 2: Some of them are good, but I agree with you, they seem overly chemically chemically. Yeah, I'd rather have an old technology like beer like one, of course, light old technology, yeah, old school.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Even the craft beer like you're talking about it I'd rather have that a weird seltzer, like a mountain dew hert.
Speaker 1: I just feel like craft beer may be slowing down because it got so big.
Speaker 3: So quickly in the past twenty years.
Speaker 2: Just exploded, and everybody makes it right, everybody right?
Speaker 3: How much room for growth there is.
Speaker 2: Kamala Harrison Donald Trump both in Michigan today trying to lock down support. She is scheduled to begin her day in Grand Rapids before she holds events in Lansing and Oakland County, northwest of Detroit. Trump has his own event in Oakland County in the afternoon and then holds a rally in Detroit in the evening. They're saying that this is one of the Blue Wall states, three of them along with Pennsylvania and Wisconsin, that could help decide this election.
Speaker 3: I think a big fear that most of us have.
Speaker 1: Is if we have to go under the knife for something, have to have an operation like waking up in the middle of it, Isn't that terrify.
Speaker 3: The heart of that terrify you. I've heard of that fear. I can't picture it.
Speaker 4: Oh.
Speaker 2: Part of it is because I've never had an I've never had an operation like that. But if I was told I had to, that would be one of the first fears I think. Really, yeah, they do good job knocking you out, They sure do. They don't mess around. But still it's like one of those irrational fears. Probably, I mean, it's probably very minuscule the amount of times that that happens. Well, there was a guy, Thomas Hoover, thirty six years old. He had been declared brain dead when surgeons went to remove his organs.
Speaker 3: This was in Kentucky.
Speaker 1: Turns out he was declared brain dead because he had a drug overdose earlier in the day and declared brain dead. And he's on the table and as doctors went to test his heart health for transplant, he reportedly became re animated. He started thrashing around on the table as the surgeon prepared to remove his organs. He was moving around crying visibly.
Speaker 3: Oh my goodness.
Speaker 2: Nicoletta Martin is his sister, and said, or there was one of the sisters.
Speaker 3: Sorry.
Speaker 2: She became concerned when TJ seemed to open his eyes and look around as he was being wheeled from the ICU to the operating room.
Speaker 3: I have a question, when your brain dead, can you still do that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well you're bought yes, okay, I mean your body's going to do things, okay, because there comes a time in a boy's life where his body does things.
Speaker 1: She says that they were told it was a common reflex, yes, but it wasn't until after he began to move around and cry that they decided not to move forward with the harvesting of his organs while he was awake.
Speaker 3: The people who worked this.
Speaker 2: Core, the transplant supervisor, told them that they were going to do this case anyway, and the hospital needed to find another doctor, even though, like you said, the doctor had said, they're going to put this off very chaotic.
Speaker 3: Everybody upset.
Speaker 2: Eventually, they never retrieved this guy's organs, well beyond the fact that he's still alive, and they said several employees quit.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Could you imagine if you were like your wife, for instance, and you're in that oar and there's a doctor going forward to the transplant and the guys that would be traumatizing.
Speaker 2: Several of the employees working that transplant team said they had to seek therapy after this.
Speaker 3: Yeah. This is also now bumped up to Congress.
Speaker 2: A letter to the House Energy and Commerce Committee about this incident held a hearing investigation on organ procurement organizations. So the president chief operating officer of Network for Hope, which was formed when a couple of these organ donation networks come together, has denied this whole thing. Julie Bergen said that no one has ever pressured to been pressured to collect organs from any living patient, nor do they recover organs from a living patient, and they've never pressured any team members to do so.
Speaker 1: They are the experts, the medical ethics people, all of it are saying this.
Speaker 3: Is a one off. It is does not very rare. Doesn't even begin to talk about how.
Speaker 6: Rare it is.
Speaker 2: But every major hospital, I guarantee you, the ones here in southern California specifically have representatives from these organ donation networks.
Speaker 3: Ready, yeah, they are. They are.
Speaker 2: If they're not staffed in the hospital, they are on call immediately for for orgon harvesting. If in fact that's that's what you or your face.
Speaker 3: Do we have one around here? We have one? What an organ harvester? I guarantee you there's one right over there at the hospital John's. If no, I'm not multiple, I'm like in the building right Now, our building depends on how sharp the knife is. That's in the kitchen, Jacob.
Speaker 1: You have a knife on you right, Oh, Jacob's is probably sharp.
Speaker 3: Enough for me to go in and get that kidney. Oh my own knife, yeah, yeah, it is not sharp enough. Where would you start cutting? I don't even know where are they? Like here? Jacob?
Speaker 2: I am sorry, you might you might not make it through that again. She just pointed to her appendix.
Speaker 3: Well where are they? They're back here?
Speaker 1: Oh right, that's right, because remember when I when I thought I had kidney failure.
Speaker 3: Yes, I do know where they are. They're back here. You to get there eventually. This is not funny.
Speaker 1: It's a very serious issue, all right, swamp watch when we come back to Gary and Channon.
Speaker 2: You've been listening to The Gary and Shannon Show. You can always hear us live on KFI AM six forty nine am to one pm every Monday through Friday, and any time on demand on the iHeartRadio app.