Speaker 1: In today's episode, we look at a cyber fraud case from Mumbai where an employee transferred more than ten crow rupees after receiving messages that appeared to come from his boss. We also turned to Parliament where former Education Minister Thrmindri Pradhan's first appearance after resigning was marked by cheers from bjpmps and protests from the opposition, with repeated disruptions in the Lok Sabah. But we begin today by talking about Assam, which is facing a massive flood crisis that has displaced thousands of people in the region. Hi Amcha Sharma and you're listening to three things the Indian Express New show.
Speaker 2: Over the past.
Speaker 1: Week, at least sixty six people have died and lacks have been affected as devastating floods continue to batter Assam. Entire villages, large stretches of agriculture land and major towns such as Sivasagar remain submerged, with water levels in several areas rising well above chesth height. Many even say the region has not witnessed flooding on this scale in recent memory. Thousands of stranded residents have been rescued by the NDRF, The Army, the SDRF, Fire and Emergency Services, and local administration teams which have used boats to evacuate people.
Speaker 2: From flooded areas.
Speaker 1: To know more about the crisis and the ongoing rescue and relief efforts, my Colleagueiharika Nanda speaks with the Indian expresses Sukrita Barua in the.
Speaker 3: Segment Sukrita, can you begin by telling us how have things been over the past week?
Speaker 4: So right now Assam is reeling in what we can say is the aftermath because of a really devastating wave of floods. I say aftermath because now the flood levels are gradually receding, but as they're receding, the true extent of the devastation is being revealed. Assam has been reeling under a severe flood crisis for a week now, which started on last Sunday, which is the nineteenth of July. So with this, particularly three districts of Assam, Sipsagor, Jorhat and Sadio have been inundated like vast stretches of land, villages, agricultural land, even major towns like Zipsaker. We've been reeling under floodwaters that go beyond chess level and lacks of people have been displaced. As of Saturday night, the Assam State Disaster Management Authority estimated that sixty two people have lost their lives within the span of this week, so since the floods began on July nineteenth, and this includes six children, right.
Speaker 3: And can you tell us about the destruction caused by the floods and how have people been evacuated?
Speaker 4: So at its worst, the number of people affected I've far exceeded seven lack. But now, like I said, it's receding gradually. So as of Saturday night, the total number of people affected had come down gradually to two point nine lack. And also, because like I said, so many people have been displaced, they had to be evacuated. Thousands of people have been evacuated from their homes on boats by the NDIFSDRF and other authorities, and well over one point one five black.
Speaker 5: People had been shifted to relief camps.
Speaker 4: But now as the floods are receding, people are gradually returning to their homes. And as a Saturday night, the number of people in relief camps have come down to around eighteen nine hundred. One of the most alarming statistics are actually the loss of animal lives. So a lot of the affected areas are rural areas. People have a lot of live stock. So you know, the counting for that has just begun and it's coming to light. In the last two days and as of now, at least twenty thousand animals have been washed away, including cattle, poultry, you know, whatever the rural people rear. You know, the figures that we have are already alarming, but authorities say that you know, it's very likely that this toll will continue to rise because you know, so many places have been inaccessible for so long because of the flood conditions that we'll only come to know over some more time where the true extent of this damage has been. In fact, two days back, the Chief Minister had addressed a press conference and he said that these two assembly constituencies under the Sibsabagar constituency, which is Zibsagar and Nazira, like thirty percent of the area under Nazira was not accessible, like the government authorities hadn't even been able to reach these areas to offer relief to the people there. And in Sibsagar, he said twenty percent because you know, as the floodwaters are receding, they've left behind layers of sediment which are several feet high.
Speaker 5: So in the aftermath also there are several challenges.
Speaker 4: So even as the flood is receding, you know, critical challenges lie ahead.
Speaker 3: And Skritha, how does this year come pair with floods the state has witnessed in the previous years.
Speaker 4: So you know, as we know, Assam suffers, I mean, the large populations of Assam suffer every year from the annual flooding of the Brahmaputra, but the flooding this time is quite unprecedented. One thing in particular, you know, this particular area which is as I've said, sip sagar Jorhattan sradio, they don't.
Speaker 5: Normally see flooding.
Speaker 4: And a lot of people have spoken to who live in this area, government functionaries, people who are reacting to the you know, the crisis, they say that in their lifetimes, they've never seen this kind of flooding in this area. They haven't seen this level of flooding ever in this area. Now, initially, when you know, this flooding started, the state government in Assam attributed this to I quote a cloud burst which they said took place in a Mon district, which is the neighboring hill district in Nagaland. So Sradio is at the foothills of Mon district. So that's what they said. But you know, when I spoke to IMG authorities in Kohima, they said that it wasn't a cloud burst, because you know, a cloudburst is a technical term which means over one hundred millimeters of rainfall within the space of an hour.
Speaker 5: But they said that there was heavy rainfall.
Speaker 4: You know, on July nineteenth, the day the flooding began, More District had one thirty seven mm of millimeters of rainfall within the span of about eight to nine hours, which is extremely heavy and on itself, you know, has been devastated by these rains. By the way, nine people lost their lives to multiple landslides that day in Morn and that water came rushing down into these tributaries. So these districts, they have these Brahmaputa tributaries which are the co Disang, the Jianji and the Dorika, and these rivers flow into the Brahmaputras. And with the water that came gushing down very quickly, these tributaries overflowed and this water began, you know, flowing out of the tributaries and into the villages and you know even reaching Sibsagar town, which you know, the river has never reached that town before. So that's the kind of flooding that took place with heavy rainfall and skrata.
Speaker 3: You spoke to a few experts about the situation. What did they have to say about what makes this year situation so much worse?
Speaker 4: So I spoke to different experts and they say that, of course, there was a very heavy, excessive rainfall that took place on that day, but that's not the only factor. So one expert I spoke to, he's currently studying this wave of floods, a professor Druberjotisaharia. He said that, you know, he examined satellite images from these areas and he observed that and he said, I quote, there is excessive excavation on.
Speaker 5: The river valley side. So river valley side.
Speaker 4: Means the slope down which these tributaries flow down to the plains and sa Radio and Zipsagar and which he said is most likely because of.
Speaker 5: Mining, open cast mining.
Speaker 4: And you know, because of this, it's very likely that a lot of mud is carried down by this water, which compromises which reduces the carrying capacity of the river. Means you know, the he was not able to carry that much water. Another expert I spoke to Professor Noyon Sharma. He said that excessive rainfall is just a small factor which is compounded by several other man made factors, amongst the chief of which he named his deforestation. So he said that if there's heavy forestation in an area, when heavy rainfall happens, the soil can quickly absorb the water and this slows down the movement of the water downstream. Right, But he's saying that when there's barren land, then when rainfall happens quickly, the water flows down rapidly down the slopes and it carries large amounts of sediment down, which is in hand with what Professor Saharia had said, and he cited, you know, Nagaland has had a rapid loss of forest cover in the last decade or so. These are key contributing factors. And he also said that you know, there are tools which could have a lent to more effective forecasting, which wouldn't have made you know, even if this was going to happen you know, this kind of rainfall, this kind of a catastrophe. He said that the devastation was not necessarily inevitable if there was more effective forecasting. At the same time, there's also a dam in Wokha District in Nagaland because again because of the rainfall, there was excess water there. So they've been releasing water since Thursdays, So that experts say has not helped in the water receding. In any case, the water is receding now, but yeah, leaving behind a trail of destruction.
Speaker 3: And how has the state government reacted to the situation. Have they given any statement.
Speaker 4: Yet as of now, they say that they're focused on rescue and rehabilitation and yeah, like in the past two week, I think it's been all hands on deck trying to reach the affected people. You know, the government had tried to air drop supplies because a lot of the place is not not reachable by road, not reachable by foot because like I said, of the sedimentation that's there, the high levels of water. So they tried air dropping supplies and they say that that was not successful because there's been a lot of videos and images, you know, people receiving packages that are torn broken by because when they drop, the packages get damaged. And along with government efforts of course at relief rehabilitation, you know, we're seeing widespread civil society reactions, so like lots of people, like people are raising funds, people are trying to reach out to those affected. You know, now that the floodwaters are receding, we're seeing huge numbers of people heading towards Civsagar carrying relief aid materials. So yeah, along with government response, you know, something that we're seeing at a very large scale is civil society mobilization.
Speaker 5: Like I said, for a lot of people.
Speaker 4: I mean, so many lives have been lost, but now you know, it's also going to take a lot of time for people to rebuild what they've lost. So homes have been damaged, people have lost their livestock. Agricultural land has been completely submerged, so you know, their crops have been destroyed. There are a lot of weavers in Assam, their looms have been destroyed. People have all their appliances are ruined. So there's a long process of rebuilding which lies ahead. So both civil society and government are going to be participating in this process going ahead.
Speaker 1: And next we talk about a cyber fraud case from Mumbai that shows how convincing such scams have become. Now, this particular case involves Giri Shamin, a deputy general manager at a reputed company, who received a WhatsApp message that appeared to be from his boss. The number had his boss's name, his boss's photo, and the instruction seemed straightforward that he should transfer company funds to a specified bank account. Over the next thirteen days, Amen carried out sixty three transactions, transferring more than ten crow rupees. Please say, this is part of a growing cyber crime pattern known as the boss scam. So to understand how the fraudsters convince a senior company employee to transfer ten crow rupees and why are companies still vulnerable, we are joined by the Indian Expresses Muhammad Tawr, who reports on crime for the paper.
Speaker 6: Mohammed.
Speaker 1: We are familiar with OTP frauds and digital arrest scams, but a boss scam appears to be a completely different category of cybercrime.
Speaker 2: So could you start by explaining what exactly is it and why are.
Speaker 1: Cybercrime investigators treating it as a significant new threat.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 7: See, one thing is that purely in terms of the amount that is lost in boss scam, the amounts that have been fraudinently transferred are much bigger. So the way this works is rather than you know, targeting an individual here, you are targeting like these big companies. Like at the end of the day, it's an individual you're duping, but that individual is responsible for the financial transaction of a big company. And this is a much more elaborate scam as compared to other cyber frauds. So, for example, in this case, the first thing that they do is they have a list of big companies that they want to target. They go to the website of these companies, identify who is the CEO. Usually on these company websites you have the CEO his photo, the top management's photo. If they have the name of the guy who's handling finances, it makes their job easier. If not, what they do is they just call up on the company landline and you know, they will claim to be calling from another company and saying that you know, they have to transfer some money to this company and there is some problem with the short code or something and ask to be transferred to the guy who handles the finances or they get the number of the guy.
Speaker 6: Who handles the finances.
Speaker 7: And you know, they will say that, you know, I am this this person, and you know, this is my private number, which again is a smart way of going about it, because a lot of these CEOs and top management officials do have a private number and a number that most employees would have. So they would message saying that you know, this is the CEO and this is my private number, don't share it with anybody, and say that, you know, we need to transfer this much money to this particular bank account, and very smartly, the person will that I'm entering a.
Speaker 6: Meeting, so don't call me.
Speaker 7: And the top down hierarchy in Indian corporate is such that he would not dare message the boss and ask him whether he has said such a thing when the boss has specifically said not to so then in that case, the person just goes ahead transfers the money. And you know, usually in most cases of this boss cam and it's called boss cam because you are using the you know, the.
Speaker 6: Identity of a boss.
Speaker 7: In most of these cases, what happens is there is one transaction that takes place, usually a big amount. Then in a few hours, the person approaches, the boss says that okay, I have done what you have instructed, and then the boss says, I have not asked you to make any such payments, and then the thing unravels.
Speaker 6: What is really unusual.
Speaker 7: In this case that we had reported about in June is that the person kept contact the cyberprogesters, kept pretending to be the CEO of this major company, major Indian company, and for over a period of thirteen days.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there were sixty three transactions worth over ten korrupays.
Speaker 7: Yeah, so from June three to n fifteen, every day he would message him saying, okay, today transfer this much?
Speaker 6: Would it transfer that much?
Speaker 7: Over a period of thirteen days, they've almost transferred over ten crews. The ironic fact is that this person and the VP whose identity was used by the fraudsters were in the same office. But again, this is such a top down structure that people think, okay, this is general and.
Speaker 6: This guy had received messages in the past from the VP.
Speaker 7: Apparently, again this happened in two parallel ways. Like what happened is finally this employee reached out to his superiors to get vouchers approved for the transfers and that's when this the VP said that I have not asked you know, I've not contacted you from any private number. And parallelly, what also happened is that the ten crews that had been transferred from the company to the other accounts. So usually it is transferred to various bank accounts and after being moved across several accounts, usually somebody will go to the bank or an ATM to withdraw the money. So in this case, there were two people who went to a bank in Delhi, an IDFC bank branch in Dela and some eight LAC had been transferred to this account. And the alert bank employee found two things suspicious. One that at LAC had just been transferred and these two people came in to withdraw the entire amount. And secondly, even looking at them, they were dressed a bit shabby lee and he felt something was a miss. And also Delipulis had carried out awareness activities, so he sends something amiss and he contracted the police. The Deli police reached there they found that the money had been transferred from a Mumbai account.
Speaker 6: They contacted the Mumbai Cyber Police and the.
Speaker 7: Cyber guys then contacted the corporate employee and he came to know that this fraud has taken place, all right, and.
Speaker 1: You highlight how police found a malicious ZIP file on the victim's phone.
Speaker 2: So what role did that file actually play in the scam?
Speaker 6: Yeah, see that's again an interesting thing.
Speaker 7: Where so there are two ways in which they go about making these changes. What happens is initially, once they get the mobile number of the person handling the finances, you know, from an unidentified number, they'll send like a file which will have like a ZIP file hidden and as soon as the person so, they'll make it sound like RBI has sent something regarding some urgent thing that has to be complied by the company, which would you know, make the person instantly kind of click on it. And then what happens is the ZIP file, which has a backdoor entry to the mobile, it is downloaded on the mobile. And then so in some cases, like in this case, they still did not get complete access to the phone. But in some cases what also happens is they get access to the phone, where what they do is that they delete the number of the boss that the person has saved and they save their own number as that of the boss, which then makes it much more lethal because then you are getting a message from your boss whose number you've saved, asking for the money to be transferred, So that also happens. So while in this case also they did find a zip file on his phone, but maybe the entire process could not go through and hence they had to use another number. But in some cases they just delete the number of your boss and save their own number, So that is how the zip file big kind of is exploited by them and Muhammed.
Speaker 1: Most companies not normally have multiple financial checks before any large payments are processed, so how could these many transactions happen without anyone else questioning them.
Speaker 7: Yeah, so in this company, what they said is that they do have monthly audits, and in this case, because it took place between June three and June sixteen.
Speaker 6: The audit had not come in between.
Speaker 7: But even when they're conducting awareness drives, the police does tell corporate offices that, you know, you need to have a separate computer on which you are using to kind of carry out transactions, and there has to be a separate number. So a lot of companies are now waking up to the threat that using the same systems for making big payments and general use also has in store. So now people are also compartmentalizing, you know, various transactions and what.
Speaker 6: Do you use to carry out these transactions?
Speaker 1: Right and interestingly, the money trail itself surprise investigators.
Speaker 2: So what did they find? What happened after the money was siphoned?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 7: There again, see that is the thing that cyberflrochesters keep evolving as per police method. So earlier what used to happen is that money was transferred across several accounts and eventually they would go and withdraw it. Then they realized that just moving money from one account to the other helps the police also trace it right to the.
Speaker 6: End, so they try to break the chain.
Speaker 7: In this case, what the police have found, what a lot of cyberflrochesters have started doing, is that at some point they draw the money, they go and buy gold with it. They will buy the gold, give the money, then they will motigage the gold with somebody else and take the money. So what this does is when the police is tracking, the police will reach the jewelry store, but the person does not really have details of the person who gave the jewelry, so that is a break in the entire series of accounts, then another account. Once the money comes in, what they'll do is the gold that they had mortgaged. They will pay money, pay cyber fraud money, get the gold mortigaged somewhere else. So basically they are breaking the cycle of money being transferred from one account to the other by buying gold mortgaging aid so that the police cannot eventually find the complete trail right from which account of money was transferred to where it ends up. So that is again a new thing that the police have found.
Speaker 1: And so Mohammed, would it be right to assume that this is a sign cyber crime is becoming organized crime.
Speaker 6: Yeah. So see this has been the case.
Speaker 7: Like if you remember, like a decade back, cyber fraud was so unevolved, Like you know, you just get a male saying that I'm a king of Nigeria, I need your money and things like that, which most of us would realize is a fraud. But over a period of time, they keep evolving and they use social scenarios as well. For example, in between when there was the gas crisis, they would you know, send MGL receipts to people saying that you need to click on it, make the payment or we'll cut your gas connection. So they keep evolving, they keep using the current situation in mind to make their frauds much more believable and view people. So they are absolutely as police is, like, you know, trying to figure out ways, they try to get one step ahead. So this cat and mouse game kind of is constantly in place.
Speaker 1: Right and so after this case, should companies assume they would be vulnerable to similar attacks? And also what are the biggest warning signs they should be looking out for.
Speaker 7: Absolutely, see corporates because the amount of money see from an individual, the amount of money that you make it like in this case, they could get ten crores in just one case. So they are targeting companies and companies need to realize that, you know, there has to be compartmentalization of things, especially when it comes to people who are making payments, transferring payments. There has to be an sop in place that these are the signs that you know, if a message is indeed coming from the bosses, then this is the way it has to be. If it is an urgent situation, this is the way it has to be. So companies, corporates do have to kind of wake up to the threat that cyber fludster's pose. And you know, you cannot be like a corpos telling me that you know, they carried out an awareness drive for various companies. They had invited this the owner of this company who did not turn up, and two weeks later he fell victim to a cyber fraud and they had mentioned that cyber fraud but he did not turn up. So a lot of companies also take this cyber threat very casually, thinking that, you know, this is not going to happen to us, and cyber awareness is seen as something that is not very serious. But this is a threat that is much more serious than people consider it. And there is this general fallacy that it would not happen to me. But these cyberfrochsters keep.
Speaker 6: Evolving and they kind of are.
Speaker 7: Unless you know about the kind of frauds that are in place, you know, it is easy to fall prey to that. So I mean, I think companies and individuals in general have to wake up to the threat that cyberfosters pose and more importantly, be aware about the kind of More to superandi is that the you so that once that happens it's happening to you. You know that, Okay, I've read about this, so yeah, there is definitely a need to be more aware about the kind of cyber frauds in place, right and what.
Speaker 2: Can employees do differently?
Speaker 7: So for the employees, I think, you know, once you have SUPs in place that okay, you know, the CEOs will not and in this case, you also need a top management to be on the same page that no matter how urgent it is, this is the way.
Speaker 6: Like it is like if a request.
Speaker 7: For money to be transferred has to be done, it would only be done an email and a message will not be sent or you know, so a lot of times the employees are too scared because of the top down approach.
Speaker 6: So in this case, it is more the bosses.
Speaker 7: I would say that, you know, even if you get a message from my number, do not transfer money and it has to only be transferred.
Speaker 6: If this supe is followed.
Speaker 7: So I think it's more the top management that has to take the initiative and the employees to then kind of follow in the steps.
Speaker 1: And in the end, we talk about former Education Minister the remaindri Pradhan's first appearance in parliament after his resignation.
Speaker 2: Two days after he resigned as.
Speaker 1: Union Education Minister in the face of nationwide protests against paper leagues, Dharminri Prudhan's parliamentary trip yesterday turned into a study in contrasts, a day marked by a hero's welcome from BJP MPs, jeers from the opposition and repeated disruptions inside the Lok Sabha. As reported by the Indian Expresses, Deep as he entered through the Makardwar BJP MPs greeted him with chance of the Harmaindra Pudhan Zindabad, draped a scarf around him and escorted him inside. But just meters away, opposition MPs were protesting over the police action against demonstrators at Delhi's Jhandarmantar and the armed Temple donation controversy. As Pradhan walked past, they hooted and raised slogans, setting the tone for a sharply divided day inside. The looks of her opposition MPs entered the well almost immediately after questionnaire began. They demanded that Home Minister Amit Shah make a statement on the alleged police successes during the twentieth July March to Parliament. Repeated appeals from Speaker Umbillah failed to restore order and the house.
Speaker 2: Was adjourned within minutes.
Speaker 1: Pradhan meanwhile continued to receive support from BJP colleagues and later spent time in Union Minister Bupeinriadov's office. When the house reconvened, Union Minister Jatan ra Singh managed to introduce the Public Examination's Prevention of Unfair Means Amendment Bill twenty twenty six amid the disruption, before proceedings were adjourned again. One of the day's most striking moments came when Pradhan encountered Congress MP Jeram Ramesh near the Makadwar. After a cordial exchange and an anecdote about their earlier interactions, Ramesh referred to Pradhan's resignation by saying it happens. Pradhan rejected that suggestion. He replied that nothing had happened and described himself as a street fighter, not an ac room activist, before leaving Parliament and skipping the post lund sitting. The House remained deadlocked through the afternoon, with the Speaker eventually giving the government an opposition time to reach an agreement on discussing the Examination Reform bill. You were listening to Three Things by the Indian Express. Today's show was edited and mixed by Surreesh Pawar and produced by A. Niharikananda and me Ichasharma. If you like the show, do subscribe to us wherever you get your podcast.
Speaker 2: You can also recommend it to someone you think may like it, with a friend or in your family.
Speaker 5: This is the best way for.
Speaker 2: People to get to know about us. You can also
Speaker 1: Tweet us at Express podcast or write to us at podcast at Indianexpress dot com.