Speaker 1: Thank you John Shannon, Happy Humpday, Kentucky, and and welcome in Kentucky. And is morning news here on news Radio eight forty whas.
Speaker 2: Nick coffee with you.
Speaker 1: We've got John Alden alongside. The full team is here. And yesterday I learned of a new Kentucky law that is about to be in effect here. It's Senate Bill Onet eighty one that became effective now essentially, but it restricts how public school employees and volunteers meaning teachers, coaches that aren't necessarily staff members but they work within the school system. It now restricts these people from communicating with students to prevent.
Speaker 2: Child sex abuse.
Speaker 1: So the new law restricts students all those folks mentioned teachers, staff, faculty, coaches, even if you're a paid employee or you're a volunteer, part time, full time, whatever, No texting, no social media or third party app communication with students, No messaging students with personal emails. All communication must be traceable through official school channels that I believe are still being being put together. So this this is not a huge surprise given the seemingly non stopping story stories that out there about teachers that cross the line that clearly you can't cross. So until let's see, until August first, twenty twenty five, JCPS staff must use only JCPS email or communicate via parents. Post August first, JCPS will adopt a standardized traceable communication method and then school statewide have until August fifteenth to comply to this new law. So I think overall instant reaction for most and I could be wrong, is yeah, this makes sense. Why would why would teachers coaches need to communicate with students in a in a social media platform or in an email that is a personal email. It should be all communication that has done within not only school hours, but if it's non school hours, it should be done through school channels. I don't think you'll hear a lot of pushback from many, but if you do, I think it's those that realize a couple of things. And I'm sure there's more than just these two things, but these are the two things that stood out to me more than anything when it comes to how this could impact students in a negative way. I'm sure there are many teachers that do have added communication with the student because they realize that they are that they need that right and unfortunately there are people who take advantage of this, meaning where you were able to do this without it being against the law and something that could get you in trouble not only with your job and your career, but also with the law that clearly cross the line. And some of these people that were referring to, you know, understandably so and deservedly so, are in prison. But you know, the bad apples have have made it to where this will have I believe some negative impact as well. But again because so many have crossed the line. And I don't mean to say that so many as if it represents the majority of those who are in fact teaching and coaching and working with young adults. But enough has has have taken it, have taken advantage, crossed the line to where this needs to be in place. So I certainly see both sides of it. But one of the critics is a JCPS parenting coach who talked to WKY and and stated that, you know, kids don't use email very often, which I look, I know a lot of young people that don't use email at all unless and I mean young adults, unless it's something for work. Now you have I think most people have an email address, but I would say it wouldn't be as surprise that there are some that really don't need standard email as far as a way to communicate on a daily basis. So high school students or middle school students even not having an actual personal email account is understan but I guess they'll have email accounts or some type of communication in place through the school's official channel, however they decide to do it. So and again, if you're a coach, I don't really know how you get around. I mean, if you're a basketball coach, football coach, whatever, whatever the sport is, not be and you also tea you not being able to talk to your players through a text message. To me, that just seems like a real, a real issue as far as just being able to run your program the way that you want to run it.
Speaker 2: But I'm curious if you are.
Speaker 1: I guess you don't have to be a parent or even an administrator teacher in the JCPS school system or any school system for that matter, because again this is now in effect for the entire state after August. But I'm curious your thoughts on this. If you have some, you can share them with us on the iHeartRadio app. If you listen live on the app, just hit that microphone button and you can share your thoughts. And you don't even have to be listening live on the app, meaning you could be listening on an old fashioned radio dial or in your vehicle and you can still just pop open the app and share your thoughts that way. All right, We've got another update of traffick in weather coming your way and NBA drafts tomorrow. I've got some wild facts about the draft that may surprise some of you. We'll get to that next right here on news Radio eight forty Whas six sixteen here at Kentucky and his morning news on news Radio eight forty whas Nick Coffee with you. We've got an update on sports coming your way in about nine minutes or so, John on alongside and John Indiana. As far as guys who are moving on. Scott mentioned earlier in his first sports cast that there's a good chance that both, in fact all three Kentucky, Louisville and Indiana may not have anybody drafted. I suppose that that could change if somebody's taken in the second round. But who would be the most I guess draftable player from from the Hoosiers or is there even anybody like the guy?
Speaker 3: I think the two names that I've heard if they get me, I don't think they'll get drafted, but they could find their way onto a roster of some sort, like a g Leete Ross w Be, Trey Galloway and Numar ballow Okay Mackenzie Imbacco. Initially we tested out the draft Waters as well, but believe he's transferred elsewhere.
Speaker 1: I think he's at A and M Texas A and m Okay gotcha. So yeah, there's always look you could you can find a home in the NBA despite not being drafted. Certainly you've got a tougher path to get there than those that get that big investment from an NBA franchise with a first or second round pick. But when it comes to those that have made it in the NBA, not only undrafted, because there's many that have done that, but those that have been really, really, really good stars. Ben Wallace is one who played for the Pistons, one of the best defensive players in that era. Certainly the Pistons were a title team and he.
Speaker 2: Was a big part of that.
Speaker 1: A rare star that didn't even take many shots, just impacted the game so much with Block just being a rim presence and a guy that rebounded and defended really well. And then I gotta admit as somebody who considers myself a basketball nerd, especially a fanatic of the NBA in the nineties. I know I know who John's but I didn't realize that he did not get drafted. He had a big run for the Knicks. And then most recently, this is this is probably the most recent, really good example of somebody that not only was successful in the NBA but became a star despite being undrafted. That's Fred van Vliet, of which Toss state. He had a great run in Toronto, was a part of their title team, and now it's got I'm a max contract, maybe even a super max. He's probably not a super max con now that I think about it, but he's with the Rockets. So you can go undrafted and still find your way in the NBA, and some have done it at a really really high level. But what I like when it comes to the draft is just the the stories that really over the years come in that have nothing to do like I'm a nerd for the draft just because I think it's entertaining to watch. I'll watch, I mean, I'll watch every round of the NFL Draft, and it's not because of my love of the NFL. I just I think it's interesting to see. Maybe it's maybe it's just wanting to imagine that. You know, I think if you were drafted, there's got to be a it's got to be one of the most memorable moments in your long journey of being an athlete, right because that mean, even if you know you're going to be drafted, right you're there, you're invited to the green room, when you walk across the stage, shake the commissioner's hand, that just has to be one of those moments that you realize, Okay, this all paid off, it worked out, it finally happened. Even if again you're there because you know somebody's about to pick you, even Cooper Flag I would imagine, who has been believed to be the lock for this first pick in the draft for many years. But then there's some that this is one of my favorite stories. And it's fitting because Nicola Jokich, who of course is a multi time MVP, probably could win it every year and I wouldn't have an issue with it as far as how well he's playing right now and where he.
Speaker 2: Is as a star.
Speaker 1: But he also has got a weird component to him to where he just doesn't really seem to care.
Speaker 2: It's a job, like he has to go to work every day.
Speaker 1: It's not like he's living this lifestyle and just loving being a basketball player. I'm sure he could find worse work, but he looks at it as a job. But when he was drafted in the second round with the forty first overall pick by the Nuggets in twenty fourteen, they were at commercial break, so they're showing advertisements, but the bottom ticker is telling you draft picks that come in, and a Taco bell commercial was playing while we got word that Nicola jokicch one of the best players of all time in my opinion, was drafted also in nineteen seventy four. Bill Walton, you'll like this story, John, You're a Bill Walton finatic like me.
Speaker 2: R Ip.
Speaker 1: Bill Walton, the legend, the first overall pick by the Portland Trailblazers. He was backpacking across the country in nineteen seventy four, didn't know he was drafted until a grocery store worker told him and that's such a Bill Walton stor exactly.
Speaker 3: There's no other player in the NBA that would have ever had that experience.
Speaker 2: Rip Bill Walton.
Speaker 1: Love that guy, miss him, but he left us with a lot of good vibes, that's for sure. All Right, we've got another update on sports coming your way, but first let's check traffic and weather right here on news Radio eight forty whas. Thank you, John, it is six thirty five as I need to apologies there didn't didn't see that coming anyways, six thirty five years executive Morning News on News radioate forty whas. Nick Coffee with you, and I think Mary Greenberg might have just dunked on Tony Vannetti.
Speaker 2: I mean, I don't.
Speaker 1: I shouldn't say that because it's one of those things that's clearly a joke. But I hope people can understand when I have a poor attempt. I think that was at humor. But yesterday, with the big news of the gift coming in from from the Young Brands to JCPS, a gift that Marty Pollio as estimates could be worth more than forty million dollars, the JCPS did approve to accept that gift. Venetti throughout the scenario to where maybe this is just a little bit of a smoke screen, to where if YUM does in fact relocate not here in Louisville, then this could be a way to kind of soften the blow a little bit to where maybe there's not as much criticism thrown their way because oh, well, they did give j CPS a building that you know, they didn't have to do that, but Maryy Greenberg, they're emphasizing, and that was that was the that was the that was the joke. Is that, you know, maybe he heard Venette claiming that this you know, this could be YOUM just trying to kind of not make it so obvious when they do when they do leave. But it doesn't sound like that's the case. It sounds like their new home is going to be here in Louisville, and that's that's good news, because, of course, a lot of jobs here and a lot of people work for you in Louisville.
Speaker 2: And I'm assuming they don't want to leave. I hope they don't want to leave, and.
Speaker 4: Young is now in the process of looking for a new home here in Louisville. I want to be very clear about that. A Yum's new home will be in Louisville. We have been talking with them for several months about a few different locations that they are considering.
Speaker 2: So that's good news. So eat that venette.
Speaker 1: And again he didn't state that that was actually what was going to happen, but you know, just just having fun with him. And by the way, they like to have a lot of fun on their show, and they're they're coming up Tony and Dwhite. They'll be with you starting at nine o'clock.
Speaker 4: Hey, Nick, coffee list.
Speaker 2: Whoop's wrong? That's the talkback button? Sorry about that. One day I'll learn how to use this board right and play big spaceship. But you're flying it is it looks like spaceship.
Speaker 1: And I could give you an excuse as to why I'm struggling with it at times, but I don't have a good one, because I've used this same exact board for a while whenever I was in a different studio on a different station. But if there's any difference here, I guess it's that I'm now utilizing our news system that has different sound and sometimes I hit a button and assume it's the right one, and sometimes it's not. But what I do want to get to later. I know you've heard about it throughout the morning in our newscasts with John Shannon about the budget that Mayor Greenbook has putting Mayor Greenberg has put in place. We'll talk a little bit about that in detail coming up later on.
Speaker 2: But back to the.
Speaker 1: Corporations here that have had headquarters in Louisville over the years, and there have been some that just decided to leave, and that's a blow, right, you don't want that to happen. I mean, you want as many big companies to come here as possible and have their headquarters in our city to where again it helps the economy, creates a lot of jobs and brings people.
Speaker 2: It's good for the city.
Speaker 1: And the only one that I can think of that quite literally just decided to up and leave, that was a real you know, that was unfortunate. Was was Papa John's and you know that that was that was that was tough because that did either eliminate a lot of jobs around here or people had to relocate.
Speaker 2: That happened in twenty twenty.
Speaker 1: But some of the others it wasn't as if they just decided to they just decided to leave because they didn't like Louisville or they found somewhere cheaper. Some of it's just been a product of the economy and of course the the changing landscape when it comes to the workforce, as far as people being able to work from home and you can have entire departments that seven eight years ago you had many people in office every day and now it's completely remote to where they don't need the same office space and they don't even really need necessarily a corporate headquarters. So you know, there's there's there's been some that that did downsize, and that's that's unfortunate as far as just laying off employees, but that's not necessarily a sign of of the city not being an attractive spot for corporations.
Speaker 2: To have to have their headquarters located.
Speaker 1: I mean, Humana, they remain headquartered here in Louisville, and there's been some speculation about them relocating or downsizing, but that hasn't happened just yet. As far as the you know, to the extent that some people have worried about. In twenty twenty two, Kindred health Care, a Louisll based health care service. I'm sure a lot of you familiar with Kindred health Care. They were required by Life Point Health and that led some that led them to essentially cease operations as a standalone entity, of course, and that that had an impact on certain jobs. So and again Young did did have some some of their employee I think, I think it was one hundred jobs effectively were relocated to Texas, and that, of course that's a big deal. But still many many employees here of Young in this area, some that I know that I'm friends with, So glad to hear that their plan is to relocate, but not out of Louisville, but to stay here with us. All Right, we've got another updated travel the weather coming your way. I'll try to learn how to do this as far as what buttons to hit, what sound to play. So I'm learning, let's do's radiowaight forty whs. I've never heard of Reem Rayuda? Is that a woman name or a man named John helped me out here?
Speaker 3: I didn't even know that was a name you were saying.
Speaker 1: Reem Rayuta is a conscious parenting coach, and she makes me feel like maybe I'm a bad parent.
Speaker 2: I didn't know it.
Speaker 1: I'm feeling a level of insecurity here, so I'm going to share it with you guys that are also parents, and hopes that you tell me no, Nick, I do that too as a parent. You're not a bad parent because she's got some tips. As far as things phrases, I guess you could say that you that you probably say to your kids, but you shouldn't say them yet. It says, don't say these phrases to kids if you want them to listen. I think I say all these things to my son and my daughter at times, maybe not word for word, but something along the lines because I said so. I mean, how many times have you said that to your kids? I mean, come on, I mean little Daisy is only a couple months old, few months old. She probably already told her right, hey, because I said so, go.
Speaker 2: To sleep, take that milk. Yeah.
Speaker 1: And you know, if she gives you the look of why you say because I said so? Again, don't take my advice because, according to this parenting coach, I'm doing it wrong. She says or he says that all this does is shut down communication. But if you explain your reasoning, even briefly, it helps your kid feel respected without negotiating or debating. Instead, try saying quote, I know you don't like this decision. I'll explain and then we're moving forward. My son would look at me as if what is this a business meeting? Or or you know, are you my dad? I know you don't like this decision. I'll explain, and then we're moving forward.
Speaker 3: Me.
Speaker 1: I guess that there's something wrong with saying that, but maybe, like if you have older kids, answer my sun just turned five, he would look at me like I was crazy. They also say or this parenting coach says that you should not say this quote to or this praise to your kid. If you don't listen, you'll lose blank privilege says the threats like this create defiance and force kids to defense mode. But you can remove the power struggle by saying, quote, when you're ready to do specific behavior, we can do desired activity. This puts the ball on the child's court and they can make it happen when they are ready.
Speaker 2: This one, I.
Speaker 1: Mean, I'm sure it would be a lie if I said I've never threatened to take away a certain privilege from my kid.
Speaker 2: But I also in.
Speaker 1: Fact this this this played out a couple of weeks ago, actually is longer than that another I think about it, but my son, who I'm trying to not spoil because I've realized that for the most part of his life, if he's wanted something, and he's a pretty well behaved kid, but for the most part, when he's wanted something and it's doable, I want to get it for him or do it for him because I want to see him happy. And he's always seemingly been appreciative. But you have to worry is there ever going to be a moment where he just assumes he can get whatever he wants? So instead of just giving it to him, I said, you know, if you if you can be more polite to your mother and maybe not give her any any attitude at all, even if it's playful, then you know you can give me.
Speaker 2: If you give me a week of good.
Speaker 1: Behavior according to your mom, then you can get a new you can get a new PlayStation game. And he really saw that as a challenge and was better. Not that he was ever really bad, but like he was mindful of I need to be on my best behavior, and he worked towards it and he ended up getting the game. So I guess that's that the comparison for me, there would be that he did have to work for something and show that he could, you know, really really pay attention to how you know, it wasn't anything crazy. I don't act like my son's at four years old at the time was was.
Speaker 2: Was somebody that needed to be disciplined in a big way.
Speaker 1: But you know, just little whoy mommy or I don't want to do that, just little things like that. So we've got some more that we'll get later on. One of these that we can talk about is how many times do you.
Speaker 2: Have to tell you?
Speaker 1: I mean, doesn't everybody say that to their parents, or doesn't every parents say that to their kids.
Speaker 2: I don't know how.
Speaker 3: How my wife says it to me all the time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, I don't know.
Speaker 1: I don't know how much we should put into what this parent coach parenting coach says. But if they're right, yikes, what's that say about me? All Right, we've got another update of Trapping the Weather coming your way. Also another check on sports with Scott Fitzgerald right here on news radio eight forty WHS