Speaker 1: Again, the question here is about presuppositions, for sure, and I've listed many things and many problems for the foundational's approach that you're advocating. You replied with something to the effect that, well, there's a trilemma that we could refer to, and there's really not many other options here. Well, the fact that you don't think there's many other options actually doesn't count as a justification for the starting point. In other words, you started with properly basic beliefs, and all I have to ask you is that do you think that the notion of properly basic beliefs themselves is self evident?
Speaker 2: Do you mean the idea properly basic belief?
Speaker 1: Well, if I said, only beliefs that are self evident or encouragible or evident to the senses are properly basic, the problem is that you're in an infinite circle of regress because the proposition itself, in terms of you knowing it, is not part of your sense data. Nor can you show that it's properly basic without assuming it.
Speaker 2: Well, I would agree that the idea of a properly basic belief may itself not be properly based, but one could.
Speaker 1: Just have no, self, that's not what I asked.
Speaker 2: Okay, what did you.
Speaker 1: Ask the proposition itself about properly basic belief Is it properly basic.
Speaker 2: The proposition? There are properly basic beliefs.
Speaker 1: The proposition only beliefs that are self evident or incorrigible or evident to the senses are properly basic.
Speaker 2: Well, I would just I would say that it's true. You're saying, how do I know what properly basic beliefs?
Speaker 1: And it's true. I'm asking, is that notion itself properly basic?
Speaker 2: So you're okay. So you're saying that if it is properly basic, could create some kind of circularity if I say.
Speaker 1: That, yes, okay.
Speaker 2: Well, as I said before, I don't know if the description of an idea might be properly basic, but the experience itself is, and then we then we have terms to describe what the experience is.
Speaker 1: It doesn't matter how you redefine it, because the point is that there's no self evident origin or incorrigible proposition like that found in sense data. M So what's the justification for that?
Speaker 2: The justification is that there are some there are some propositions that we encounter, and upon entertaining the proposition, the justification is also immediately apparent, and so it is.
Speaker 1: That's circularity. That's what that's the problem of properly basic beliefs.
Speaker 2: No, it's not just you just.
Speaker 1: Said it's immediately apparent. That's circularity.
Speaker 2: No, because the question, okay, it's it's not that because if I say, for example, I am having an experience right now, I am just reporting something that is happening.
Speaker 1: To you, all you're doing. No, I gave you multiple examples what you said I didn't do in critiquing the Kogito, Like what of all the metaphysical things that are assumed in the sentence?
Speaker 2: Okay, but even if I don't understand all the concepts that are involved, we can also doesn't matter.
Speaker 1: This is about justifying the beliefs. Okay.
Speaker 2: So what you're so it sounds like you're saying to me natural theology is false because there are no self evident truths.
Speaker 1: I'm creating your position of a strong foundationalism.
Speaker 2: Okay, but even if someone picked a weaker form of foundationalism, I think a lot of you Okay, what I would what I would say.
Speaker 1: That's not that a position you defended five minutes ago.
Speaker 2: Okay, but even the position that I have, I would just say a lot of people, even people who are non believers or atheists, would agree there are just basic facts about existence that we have agreement on. So you're from there, we can build.
Speaker 1: You're going to appeal to the master. That's actually a fallacy. It's not a justification.
Speaker 2: No, I'm not saying that. I'm saying that it's justification. So what's the just The problem is I gave you a justification, but your system just won't allow it because afations.
Speaker 1: Those are fallacies. No.
Speaker 2: I told you that some propositions that we immediate that we encounter is immedia and we do not have to infer them.
Speaker 1: I'm asking for the justification. You're just saying that it's immediate. But that's just I would rest that rests on the assumption that the external world is properly caused to impress upon your senshi Wou.
Speaker 2: I would say the justification that the self evident truths in my epistemology are true would be the same as whatever justification, let you know, leads you to believe that the God of Christian orthodoxy on the foundation I'm.
Speaker 1: Not subject to that problem. I don't make the strong foundations claim that you just did, so I don't have that problem. I admit circularity at this level.
Speaker 2: Okay, but but only at that level.
Speaker 1: Right, because it's a metallogical question where circularity is unavoidable. That's the point was set theory, and the incompleteness is.
Speaker 2: Therem Okay, are there any other circular so circular reasoning with God being the ultimate foundation of reality that is not invalid? Are there any other kind of the nature of the system itself? Okay, so it's not invalid. Are there any other kinds of circular reasoning apart from God, have nothing to do with God that are also not invalid?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Sure, The categories themselves have to be presupposed for the possibility of knowledge. So in other words, the way I make the argument is just simply that knowledge presupposed to the categories. The categories themselves are grounded in God.
Speaker 2: Okay, So the categories themselves, their foundation is not circular. Their foundation is in God.
Speaker 1: Well, they're circular when we're considering whether we can justify them at the human level.
Speaker 2: So we can't say that logic is true because the laws of logic themselves show that they're true. It sounds like you're saying circucular Yeah, it sounds like you're saying circular reasoning is invalid, except when we're talking about God being the foundation of the universe.
Speaker 1: I'm saying that every system at root is circular, and that's what I'm demonstrating to you in your strong foundationalism, and I'm showing that that's not going to be. Then how we justify or explain the different systems themselves. It's a comparison of systems and not a comparison of evidence.
Speaker 2: Well, Jay, I'm actually not necessarily opposed to using logic, knowledge and morality to show God exists or even these even a kind of transcendental argument. My concern is the specificity of the presupposition, because your case seemed to be very negative to natural theology. It's inability to prove a rigid designator that the triune God of Christianity.
Speaker 1: No I do I agree.
Speaker 2: So my question for you is what would prevent Why couldn't I take your exact same presuppositionalism, swap out the God of orthodox Christian faith put in the Catholic divine simplicity God or William or Cornelius Vantil taking his Protestant view of God using the same argument. What breaks the symmetry to pick your presupposition over the others.
Speaker 1: Because in this case, what I'm the way I would make the argument is that the Trinity is actually the ground not just of epistemology or logic or things like that, but actually the entire paradigm. In other words, it's an argument for the entirety of the Christian paradigm, not merely an argument for this or that piece of it. So the Trinity comes with in terms of Orthodox theology as I understand it, Saint Maximus's grand metaphysic, It actually comes with a holistic epistemology and metaphysic that is the grounding of the natural world itself. So it's not just an argument for an abstract concept or some logical thing. It's the entire Christian paradigm and the metaphysics of the Trinitarian theology that we have as Orthodox, which is unique to us. And this is why one last point, this is why, in for example, Questions and Doubts, Saint Maximus goes to great links to show that there are natural proofs for the Trinity. He actually thinks the existence of the world, the modal existence of the world itself, is triadic and is a proof, not an adamiration or a trace, but an actual proof of the Trinity.
Speaker 2: Okay, but why I didn't hear a reason? Why are why is our presupposition going to be a trinity versus a unity a unitarian God?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 2: Why that's point one and point two? Why your concept of the Trinity as opposed to a Catholic or Protestant concept. Why?
Speaker 1: Well, because, first of all, the the the Triune God is not just posited. I'm actually saying that God and the Christian world in the Christian Orthodox paradigm, gives an account for the metaphysical problems, for the one and the many, for the universals, for the for the you know, logical categories, the Aristotelian categories that you know maximums basically squishes into natural contemplation. I'm saying that the structure of the world, as well as ethics, metaphysics, epistemology, all of that is justified given an account for and grounded in a specific triune God and the specific revelation of what he says about how the world's constructed. So it's a revelatory theism and a justification via revelation as opposed to autonomous Uh, you know, the unaided reasoning approach that you're defending.
Speaker 2: So you're saying that we should presuppose the God of Eastern Orthodox Christian theism. Correct, because the God of Eastern Orthodox Christian Theism has revealed we ought to presuppose him.
Speaker 1: No, I'm saying that we should presuppose him precisely because the self revelatory declaration gives an account for the problems of ethics, metaphysics, and epistemology that I keep raising.
Speaker 2: Why is it?
Speaker 1: Why solves those problems?
Speaker 2: Why does only Orthodox Christians? So so I guess what, I'm.
Speaker 1: Trying to make revelatory character of the Trinity and Orthodox Christianity.
Speaker 2: Right, But Protestants and Catholics also believe in the Trinity.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but you don't have it because you have heterodox versions of it. Not I'm not I'm personally attacking you, but I'm.
Speaker 2: Saying that that's fine. But okay, So we would we would say your conception of theism is the only one that explains reality, because we would deploy arguments of reason to show that the competitors are false or don't succeed.
Speaker 1: Correct. But that's a category error. But because I'm not just because I'm using arguments from reason doesn't mean that they have logical or or epistemic orontological priority. That's a category error that Thomas, that Thomas constantly make that because I'm using an argument that it therefore has epistemic orontological priority, or did I use it first in a chain? Okay, it doesn't.
Speaker 2: With this also include we only got a few seconds here My question earlier did did did Abraham believe God? Do you think Abraham had an explicit knowledge of the Trinity?
Speaker 1: Yes, and say Maximus, as he did?
Speaker 2: Okay, so he knew the father son only is all right?
Speaker 1: All right? So I think that what I really wanted to get to here was the epistemic problems of an approach that Trent has to strong foundationalism, which you affirmed early on regarding the way that we go about doing natural theology. What I heard from Trent throughout the debate, in many many instances was actually equivocating and word concept fallacy shift between natural law, moral law, the revelation of God in nature and his tomistic conception of natural theology. My whole point in this debate was that those things are not equivalent. But multiple times of debate, Trent seemed to switch back between these different things which are very specific and nuance, as if they're all just talking about the same thing. Of course, my questioning here is to raise that very quick I'm questioning that very assumption right there that I don't think those are all talking about the same thing. I wanted to really stress that this approach that Trent's doing is an empirical approach. I didn't say Trent or Aquinas was an empiricist. I said the approach is empirically based. And that's not in doubt because in de Veritati, Aquinas clearly says that there's nothing in the intellect that's not also in the senses. He also affirms the distinction between what is better known in itself and what is better known by us. And this is really the basis of the foundationalist approach that we have here. If we're gonna take that approach, we have a series of problems that I raised one as an example of properly basic beliefs in terms of the section when I was questioning Trent about circularity of properly basic beliefs. This is just one problem for any empirically based epistemology, and make no bones about it, Trent's natural theology isn't empirically based natural theology. So he's going to have to demonstrate the justification for the empirical argumentation that he's doing to say natural theology is a case when I am saying that natural theology isn't the case because I can come to the table and critique the presubpositions in the exact same way that human kant do that you're gonna have to give an account for And why do you have to give an account for it in that way? Because of the nature of your presubpositions and the foundationalism itself. Foundationalism is saying these are self evident, these are the things that everybody agrees on that we start with. What does it matter how many people agree with something or disagree with it. That's a appeal to the masses fallacy, And so if Trent's going to have a foundationalist of pistemology, He's going to have to answer not just that, but the questions of what is the metaphysical content of all the words that you're listing here in terms of this sense data. What is the status of the external world that you're presupposing in these metaphysical claims. What is the certitude that you have that the sense data matches up to the objects in the external world? How do you solve Sellers problem of the myth of the given? How do you resolve the underdetermination of data? How do you account for the fact that the paraphetic axiom itself is not in sense data? How if that's the case, do you account for induction and deduction on an empirical basis? What are the primary what are the properly basic beliefs? Given the fact that I don't think the ones that you listed are actually properly basic beliefs, given the critique that I gave of Descartes cogito. If that's the case and we start with induction, how do we get to the justification of universals right from induction? So if deduction is a problem, excuse mean. If the induction is the problem, deduction also goes What is the justification for the epistemic bootstrapping project at the outset that Trent is involved in, Given that as I tried to show there are no properly basic beliefs, and also given the fact that things like the uniformity of nature, that logic works and operates in an external world, or that the external world actually has a causal relationship that it imprints data upon Trent's mind. Nothing in that was a affirmation or an accusation that Trent is a human empiricist, or that a Quitas is an empiricist. I never said that, so Trent was replying to a strong man. I simply said, how does Trent reply as a foundationalist to these classic problems? For any foundationalist system, it really doesn't matter which one we pick. One thing that I really wanted to conclude with was about the arguments of Saint Maximus for the Trinity, and I'll just run through these really quick. Maximus thinks that the modes of natural contemplation lead us to the low gee, which to the logos. The logos is a rigid designator, not for generic reasoning or Marcus Aurelius's logos, but in fact, for as Trent said, the wisdom literature logos of Ecclesiasticus, Proverbs and John One, who is the second person of the Godhead. It's a rigid designator creation that, according to Saint Maximus, is fundamentally chrystological and fundamentally triadic. And big Ue ten shows that creation is a veil for the logos. The creative world, Maximus says, is a book. It's a book that's the same as the logos in terms of the Bible book, right Maximus. This goes on, of course to say that the created order is a theophany. And my main point here is that natural theology posits a deity that does not allow the created world to actually be a theophany. And I think the tomism demonstrates that Matt Frad and Trent Horn are we not supposed to be Orthodox?
Speaker 2: And for me, the papacy is a gift that God has given the church. That makes sense. It's one of the important things in being Catholic.
Speaker 1: If the papacy makes sense, then why is the papacy such an issue of contention right now in the Roman Catholic world, and especially since the time of attic in two. I mean again, you'll find that they always just appeal to this sort of the simple pragmatic argument. Look, it just makes sense. Look it's just gonna help with unity. Look, it's going to solve the problems. And does it actually do that? No, it doesn't. Remember ninety percent of their apologetic of these guys is you need this office because it's going to solve all the problems that you have. Yet when we do the problem analysis, we don't find that it actually provides the thing that it's supposed to do. It doesn't provide unity, it doesn't provide clarity. In fact, if you remember when we did the for the two four hour streams, the eight hours of response to Trent, remember that right got a lot of views on that. We saw that Trent himself was struggling consistently with how to make sense of And here's your various ways to interpret Francis on the death penalty. Why do we have to give varying interpretations of something that's supposed to be a clarifying statement on basic morals? Why do we even have to have the pope clarifying the basic morals which are now ambiguous, which related to quote natural justice in the traditional Roman cality view. But remember what's he doing here? Just falling back on these kinds of pragmatic low tier Oh, it'll just make it easy. Oh, it'll make it simple, it'll solve the problems. Again, the last seventy years of Roman Catholicism illustrate nothing but the opposite of that chaos, collapse, lack of clarity, greater and greater confusion, greater and greater moral revulsion, especially when it comes to to Rome itself on quote clarifying moral issues. So the irony is that the selling points that these guys always fall back on are the very things that they're also always having to deal with that it's not practical, it's not clarifying anything, it's not making anything better, it's not producing unity. And this is they're apologetic, is what papal lawyering.
Speaker 3: We debate these guys, they are always like on following Peter, and by Peter they mean the papacy, right, because we believe to see if Peter's in every bishop and bring up for the audience your argument from indefectibility.
Speaker 1: It's a great one. Yeah. So essentially, what we've gotten to in modern day Roman cathloch Apologists that are in this sphere is the idea that rather than I'm gonna, you know, to move away from the question of infallibility, not that you can't debate infallibility. I think it's funny and you can go down that route. But they'll just always have this out where they'll just say, well, but he's only infallible in xyz cases, and I will tell you when that is right. So every individual Catholic will have their own list of when he's being fallible when he's not being infallible. And so the better way to construct this argument is to talk about indefectibility. And this is better because we know Vatican one is teaching very clearly that the Roman Sea will never defect from the faith until the end of the world. It will contain valid successors until the return of Christ. Vatican One says the Sea of Rome is indefectible until he defects, which is to say nothing, so basically a meaningless statement which allows every individual Roman Catholic to simply say that I will accept and reject the papacy insofar as it applies to my own version of papalism. And that's why every single Roman Catholic will have a different list of what the infallible teachings actually are. And again, this whole system should at least give us the list. What do the Roman Catholics always come over to us and say, where's your list of Douglas, where's your list of dogmas? Oh, they don't have it? Exactly what do they have? They have a couple criteria of categories to rank the authority of the various teachings and dogmas, which is then up to every individual Catholic to apply and to try to make sense with mental gymnastics, how the system isn't chaos and nonsense?
Speaker 2: And Orthodox counsel of just the Orthodox bishops, well, one guy can always just kind of they can't, and so you're not able to address you don't have that unity that a person who is given a special authority from Christ to be the first among bishops, and the Orthodox say the BOE has that title, but it doesn't really mean much.
Speaker 1: Well that's interesting because if this is the case, then why does Ratzinger and by extension, the post Vatican too Vatican why do they admit that the Orthodox Church has preserved its faith and it's doctrines, it's unity for the last thousand years. So that's an admission that we preserve this without the papacy for a thousand years. So the papacy actually isn't necessary. So your own popes admit that we don't need the pope. I mean, this is in Ratzinger's books. Now you might disagree with that, but my point is that, well, how come your authorities recognize that, let's not an infallible statement. I don't have to acceipt that, Okay, so what right? This is? All they do is spur out and go to this arbitrary of when it's infallible when it's non infallible, which again they're going to have to have an infallible criteria when they say what isn't isn't infallible or else. That whole system falls apart into the contradiction. But as we've seen, they're not very good at logic and epistemology.
Speaker 2: But when you go back to the New Testament, it seems clear to me and even to many non Catholic commenters that Peter was given special.
Speaker 1: In the yearly. So here we go again. The only things that matter to them are Matthew sixteen, right, So it's like they don't care about the Bible at all until they want to do is to Jesus with Isaiah twenty two in Matthew sixteen. They don't care about anything else to do. They go to Acts fifteen where Peter is not the voice of God and the final authority where it's James. No, they don't do that, or they do this stupid thing where they try to argue that it's a different Peter in Galatians one or in Acts fifteen. I mean, just silly mental gymnastics. The whole system is nothing. But I'll use the Bible for when it backs up the Papa seat. The rest of the time, I don't care what the Bible says, and they don't, especially the trads. I mean they even say that they're happy that they don't read the Bible. Many of the trads that they're said on Twitter all the time, right, Reading the Bible is a Protestant thing. They think the sell delusional and idiotic these people are. But I mean, these are just terrible arguments. This is this is car salesmanship.
Speaker 2: Paul will stand for the truth and he'll even stand up to Peter.
Speaker 1: Oh really, sound like Vatican one, Trent.
Speaker 2: Now, why why does you make note of Peter? Because Peter has the most authority, right, I will even oppose Peter.
Speaker 1: So mouthpiece authority. None of that equates to Vatican One. Again, all non sequitors. The whole thing is bait and switch, just telling you that because there is this place, because Rome has this pre eminence, that the Roman, therefore Roman Catholic doctions are all true. It doesn't follow. In other words, there's an Orthodox read, and maybe the Orthodox reading is wrong, right, But my point is that there's an orthodox reading of all of this stuff, and it's ignored because the idea is just that look at all these quote minds, look at my reading of Galatians and all this stuff, and therefore Vatican one. That's essentially what he's saying, even though he's not saying that or making any reference to Vatican One, but he knows that Vatican one is the counsel about the papacy. So the whole point of this text of Paul is that even Peter can be rebuked if he errs this is all spun to be the opposite in their exegesis, to be that Paul went to Peter to see if he was correct, and Paul found out, oh oops, Peter made a gaff. He just kind of messed up. Is that what he says? No, he says that he departed from the Gospel. That equates to defecting from the faith. That is the very thing that Vatican One says Rome can never do. Peter is Rome their exegesis proves he departed from the faith in Galatians. It's like, did they even read the text or did he just read quote minds from other Roman Catholic apologists or did he actually even read Galatians? Is he just repeating Dahlgreen in Hest's book.
Speaker 2: Question difficult for people to discuss is that many people have a very narrow definition of worship. Worship is just giving God all the honor God is due, and.
Speaker 1: That is not what worship essentially is. That's a very broad statement that you could say, Okay, yeah, we give God the honor, but how do we give God the honor in the way that God lays down. This is why Roman Catholics always argue against Protestants that Protestants are essentially failing at worship because they don't have a eucharistic altar and sacrifice. Yes, Protestants believe that Jesus died on the cross and that was a sacrifice, but they have discarded that eucharistic centrality to worship that's ongoing at an altar, and to most pop apologists in the Roman Calic sphere, they love to make the argument that Protestants therefore do not really worship God. They might have a mental assent, but the actual holistic worship, which is the entire person, the entire being of the person. This is why the liturgy, both in the East and the West includes the whole man. It's not just a mental assent. It's also actually eating God, it's actually partaking of it's bowing down, it's crossing yourself. It's all of these actions that are including the physical body just as much as the mind, and Romancalolics don't even have this for Orthodox the heart. Keep in mind, in the Roman Catholic system there is no noose or heart doctrine. They don't believe that. They believe in the Augustinian and Thomistic idea that its body and soul, and for them, soul is essentially primarily identified with the intellect. So for them's salivation is ultimately an intellectual vision of the divine essence. This is known as the beatific vision. This is why for them, when they talk about worship, it's in that context of a mental assent to a vision of God's essence. Ultimately, that's the highest form of worship. For the Orthodox, that is not the highest form of worship. We do agree that there is an intellectual faculty in man, but we think that as Romans One says, man's heart, as a result of the fall, is darkened, and the heart is not identical to the intellect or the mind. The heart is the innermost being, the spirit in man, which is why Paul talks about body, soul, and spirit. He lists three things. Roman Catholics they only believe it two. So the whole man is deified. The whole man participates in worship, which is why we taste and see that the Lord is good, the fountain of immortality as we see in the liturgy, and why the whole body is involved in worship. Kissing, praying, kneeling, bowing. All of these things go into the holistic element of man being involved in worship, which is because the resurrection is not just an intellectual resurrection. It's a resurrection of body and soul and spirit coming back together after death. Thus, the body plays a key role in the escaton and in the resurrected state these people don't really realize that, because for them, the eschatological state is an intellectual vision of the divine essence. For the Orthodox, there's a new heavens and a new Earth, and it's mirrored and patterned on the resurrected body that you see at the end of the Gospel of John that Jesus possesses. Jesus has a new body that walks through walls, and that can appear and disappear, and yet he can still eat and it still has physical reality, even though it's deified flesh. According to Saint Cyril of Alexandria, that's the deified flesh that we're eating in the Eucharist, which, by the way, disproves the Roman Catholics in the debate with Father Deacon Antonius, because they argue that you don't actually taste and see God in the Eucharist, because they're being consistent with their Toumistic theology that it's all created causal effects and not the actual uncreated divinity that you're participating in. I hope you see this, because this all of this nonsense the last two weeks three weeks is simply illustrating the vast differences between the Orthodox view and these other pagan systems, and I will include Rome in the pagan systems. It should be evident now and on display for everyone all the things that I've been telling you for the last ten years. The entire internet e religious world is able to now see this that Rome has a severely heretical and de efficient position on all of these topics.
Speaker 2: Is the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit deserve honor. Refusing to honor each of these persons as God means a nontrinitarian can't worship God. Critics also say that the Bible teaches that whoever denies the Son does not have the Father, and that Pagans offer worship to demons, not God. Therefore, they say, Muslims cannot be worshiping God. But we have to be careful about taking a few proof texts and using that to answer a complicated question. Zeus and Thor do not exist, and if they have any effect on the world, that's just the work of demons. And John says the Antichrist doesn't have the Father, but in the same letter he also says he who loves is born of God and know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but loving is still contingent in terms of being in the covenant and having the love of God. So just saying that anyone that loves is of God is not the sense that John means it in One John. He's not saying that anyone, even a say Satanists, who loves their spouse or their husband is of God. That's completely false.
Speaker 2: Knows God. A person might not have God as a covenantal father, but the Bible says non believers can have God as the creator to whom they must give worship.
Speaker 1: For the wrath of God is revealed against all on goodness and unrusouness of men who suppressed the truth and unrightousness. So notice that in the pagan world the truth is not revealed, it is not acknowledged, it is suppressed. Why well, it is manifest within them. Notice he's not talking about external reasonings at this point, about syllogisms or Aristotle having a really supreme high IQ intellect. And that's why he got a lot further than the Amazon tribesmen did about who God is. Right. It's nothing to do with syllogisms and reasoning out in some Hellenic philosophic Plato aristotl sense. It's about the universal world of idolatry, that all the nations fell into after the fall except for the Covenant people who maintained the true worship of God, the only acceptable worship of God, by the way, and he says that these people had a manifest witness to them in creation, that they should have come to the conclusion that there is only one true God, and that he lives and exists and so forth. But did they come to that conclusion. No, Paul says, they are without any excuse. According to the Roman Catholics, they're all excused. Paul says, they're without excuse. Roman Catholics say, well, but they didn't know God, but they reason from creatures to a creator, so they are given a free pass. Paul says, they're without excuse. Even though they knew God, they did not honor him as God. Now, I think there's different ways you could exeitute this passage. Some people might exitute this as if Paul is talking about any individual pagan at any point in their life. I think Paul's talking about the original connection that man had to God in Adam, and that all of Adam's sons should have had to God had they been faithful. But since they felt they are patterned and live after their father Adam and not after Christ. And so what happens then is that there's a sense in which back to Adam, man knew God and had a relationship with God, but the fall led to idolatry and universal pagan worship of the demonic and anything other than God. And so that's the sense in which at one time man knew God, but we have all then fallen from that uh oh, and have not glorified or worshiped or honored him as God. Now, this right here refutes the Roman Catholic Vatican to excuse and invisible invincible ignorance arguments, because they're trying to say, well, in the case of Pagans, they're still worshiping God, they still acknowledge a creator. But Paul is saying that even if they acknowledge the proposition that there's a creator, they're not worshiping and serving him in any way that God accepts. I mentioned the word triad in passing, and Trent Horne assumed as the original tweet shows that he thought this meant something to do with arianism. I said that, you know, in our debate, you were incorrect by misunderstanding the fact that Abraham worshiped the Trinity. Trent thought this was mind blowing. How no natural theology teaches me that they worshiped a Unitarian God in the Old Testament. And then he says, I asked if they knew that God, would trinity Jewish multiplicity in the Godhead could be akin to proto arianism. No. In fact, the very point of why would argue that the Old Testament teaches the triad is to prove that they were trinitarian Trent. So, as you can see, his initial reply is quite literally a fundamental misunderstanding of the basics that every Orthodox Christian knows by looking at the ruble of Icon that the Old Testament saints worshiped the Triad. And Trent says, you even had to use the word triad to describe it, but you would say that modern people that worship triad as in Jehovah's witnesses are not worshiping the One True God. So notice that very clearly Trent didn't even understand the very common terminology amongst the Greek fathers, the Byzantine theologians, the very theologians who dogmatized and solidified and explicated the Trinity Cappadocians, Saint Maximus, etc. For Trent, he thinks this is somehow bound up with Arianism, even though Trent attended, according to his own description, for many years, or presumably for many years, the Eastern Right. The Eastern Right hails Palamas as a saint, which actually makes no sense given the fact that he was considered a damnable heretic for many centuries, and to notice that the most famous work that he has is called the Triads. A simple search would tell you that amongst the Orthodox world, Triad refers to Trinity. Does Trent simply say, oh, I misunderstood, you're correct? No, He doubles down because it shows that he's not even familiar with basic terminology in the very Fathers that dogmatize the Trinity. Doubles down and says, no, this is an Egyptian term. What the word can be synonymous with Trinity, but it's more common as a grouping of deities. Look at the nineteen ninety six Egyptology book from John Griffith. Now the more common use is not some of them from an obscure egyptologist Trent. The more common use is what you should know from the Uniate world. In the Orthodox world of triad and meaning trinity. This is just silly. Now, Trent doubles down again and says that Old Testament Jews did not worship the Trinity. He says it right here, did the faithful Jews who live before christ incarnation worship God? If they did, then they must have worshiped the same God or the Trinity of the Christians. Even though they didn't worship. Trent does not believe that the Old Testament saints worship the triad, even though Jesus and John five through nine says that they worshiped the Father, his Angel, and his Spirit. So Trent doesn't even know that the Old Testament teaches the triad. Now, I pointed this out in at the time of the debate, and after all we had our debate, and Trent and other people tried to save face and tried to do damage control. He says right here, literally a few seconds ago, that they didn't believe in the Trinity. So do you understand that Roman Catholics do not understand the Trinity? And I don't mean in terms of an intellectual comprehension. They fundamentally have ridiculous, stupid theology and in order to save face and defend his natural theology. Alla Vaticant's no stratat Trent is literally saying that they believed in a Unitarian God, the very thing that I said was the problem in the debate. Trent still thinks that the Old Testament people believed in a Unitarian God and not the Triad. So this refutes all of the Roman Catholic liars that sat here saying that that's not what true means. Why do Roman Catholics feel the need to lie and how could you be this silly in your theology to be so ignorant of the Old Testament? Again proving my point in the debate that how would you argue against a Muslim? Do you not understand that to debate any Muslim requires going to the Old Testament to prove the Trinity. I even showed a video that was my opening statement in the day on Hookie getch you debate to Trent, which apparently he hasn't watched because it refutes his stupid heresy in Acts seventeen. In no way says that they worshiped a Unitarian God. It's just like this guy is on another planet and doesn't even understand what the debate is, and now the libertarian says he can't hop on. Dude, I sent you the link. There's no reason why you can't hop on this debate. It's an open chat. You wanted to debate. Now you're saying he can't get on here. Give me a break. Here you are you hopped on here? Now where's the actual video? I hope you guys understand that this means that Roman Catholics don't have the basics of the Trinity. I'm pretty sure that trinity is a pretty important doctrine. And you just saw Trent say that in the tweet that he just put up the very thing that all of his defenders were saying he didn't mean. He says it again. Now, let's remind ourselves of a few moments of the debate with Daniel Hoikikachu, because it turns out Trent and Daniel have the same god, the Unitarian generic God of natural Theism. Now, I know that Trent would confess to believe in the Trinity and the deed of Christ, but he doesn't understand that he's got two conflicting, contradictory positions in his worldview. And he doubled and tripled down in the last hour on Twitter on this so I repeat again, did the Old Testament saints worship a generic Unitarian deity, the very thing that Trent and Roman Catholicisms are taughte Entrent just now within the last five minutes reaffirmed, Or do they worship the triad as every Orthodox person knows. You're saying that this is fundamental to us, and they're still wandering around, groping in the dark like the Pagans of Acts seventeen, not understanding that it's a triad in the very beginning, because their theology is all jacked up and dumb. That's why. Because they're in a giant machine that they have to make all of these pieces work and make this giant algorithm that's a giant contradictions fit together, and they don't. They don't even know what recapitulation is. They don't even know what monarchical trinitarianism is. If you've read Justin Martyr against Tripho the Jew is Trent even aware that Justin Martyr argues from the Old Testament Theophanies to prove the deedy of Christ and his attempt at proving Triad It's like Trent's never talked to a Muslim or never read these church fathers. Oh but wait a minute, Trent didn't know what the word triad meant. He thought it was a pagan, anti Trinitarian term when it's constantly used in the Eastern Church fathers. So now Trent is doubling down, as we said, tripling down that the Old Testament saints did not worship the Trinity. They worshiped a Unitarian God. Has he never read John five through nine? Has he not read Second Corinthians three, where Paul says that Moses looked face to face with Jesus. If no man sees the Father at any time, as Jesus argues in John to the Pharisees, and then who was Moses talking to? This is the point of Jesus' argument to the Pharisees. I don't think Trent knows the Bible very well at all, and particularly not the Old Testament at all. I think Trent knows a lot of pop apologetics, because remember Trent was not too long ago a Deist who converted to Roman Catholicism, and so I don't think Trent knows the.
Speaker 2: Trinity a Catholic teaching that has not been infallibly defined could be in error.
Speaker 1: Interesting, but you said a minute ago it was authoritative. So even if it's not been infallibly defined. Trent earlier said Leo's normative teaching is authoritative. What does that mean, Trent? What is authoritative non infallible teaching? Does that mean you can reject it? And Trent? What are the ex cathedral statements? Where is the list of ex cathedral statements? And to make this again a very devastating epistemological argument, if we have, for the sake of argument, say ten ex cathedral statements, I need to know where the list is that is also ex cathedral because if the list of ex Cathedra statements can be wrong, then you're in the same dilemma as the Protestant on the canon question. You make the same argument epistemically to Protestants about knowing the canon of Scripture. Apply that same argument to your claim about knowing the ex cathedrals statements. Where is the infallible decree of the infallible list of ex cathedra statements you just reputed yourself.
Speaker 2: But they are not all infallible because the Catholic code of canon law says, no doctrine is understood is defined infallibly unless this is manifestly evident.
Speaker 1: So his answer is, the things that are infallible are the ones that are manifestly of You can't make this up. This is the stupidest most This is T Jump level. He's literally T Jump reality is reality. The ones that are infallible are the ones that are manifestly evident as infallible. This should end this whole retarded system and Trent Horn's career. This is so stupid, And imagine Trent Horn saying the same thing as t Jump. Let's replay that, because this was better than I hope this was, Like, this is funnier than I expected. Let's go back. Trent Horn's epistemic criteria is to go to by the way, canon law, Trent is canon law infallible. Most Roman Catholics would argue that canon law is not infallible. So wait a minute. The thing that Trent goes to to know the canon what's infallible is itself fallible. You can't make this on. This is what you get when you don't know basic epistemic questions and basic epistemology. Do you remember in the debate with Trent, I said, Trent, tell me the things that are self evident. He said, descartes cogito. What dude, that's been savage by philosophers for centuries. It's laughable. And that's what every person who takes in epistemology one on one class. That's like the first thing they think.
Speaker 4: Dude, like descartes cogito. Man, It's like I, I look, I exist or whatever. Right, It's like, I think therefore I am uh so that's why it's self opened or whatever, right.
Speaker 1: And then the professor in your first class or first day of epistemology shreds that because it's stupid. That's literally what Trent argued in the debate with me. To show what's self evident, descartes cogitoe, What are you serious, dude? Is so easy to it's not even self evident. First of all, it relies on time determination. Has Descartes proven time yet? No? It relies on language and words having meaning. It relies on the existence of a self, which has not been proven yet. It relies on the existence of logical inferences. Has Descartes proven logical inferences yet? Okay, so if it relies on all these other things to be the case, to say, the sentence of the Cogito, then it's not self evident. Anything that relies on another thing Trent isn't self evident. Look up the criterion problem. But again, I cannot believe that this goober, in order to show what things are ex Cathedra, actually goes to a thing that Roman Catholics say is not infallible. Now, maybe there's a Roman Catholic trid who will argue that ken law is infallible. Uh, I've not seen that. Maybe they do. It's similar to their approach to the Catechism, the Catechism of the Calogy Church. It's authoritative, it's normative. But I don't think most Roman Catholics would argue that everything in the Catechism is infallible. There would be differences of levels and whatnot. Okay, fine, so is canon law infallible? Most Roman Catholics would say, probably not, because it's changeable and it can, you know, move around, and it deals with a lot of practical stuff that's not eternal, divine revelation, divine law. Right, Okay, So if it's fallible and changeable and mutable, then how are you going to the thing that is changeable and fallible to tell me where I identify the infallible. This is so simple. This is epismology one O.
Speaker 2: One says, no doctrine is understood, is defined infallibly, unless this is manifestly evident. That's why I said Jay's complaint about the Second Vatican Council saying Muslims worship God does not disprove Catholicism as a whole, because even if that teaching were false, it's not an infallible definition.
Speaker 1: H No, even if it's not infallible, you are still bound Trent by what we saw here to the normative teaching of the papacy, and all of the documents of Vatican two are normative and binding. So that means you are now bound by the Roman see to error. That's the point. You don't get to reject more telling no state, because as we see here five places in Denzinger that say that you have to support all of the normative ordinary teachings, even if it's not infallible. You are still bound by religious submission of intellect and will to the ordinary teaching. That's Canon seven fifty two.
Speaker 2: Or a dogma that cannot possibly be false. And in some cases Jay complains about statements from the Vatican that aren't.
Speaker 1: That like, as if we can't say the Vatican, I mean, does he not realize that the Vatican is not merely the papacy but also the Roman College. When the Roman College makes decisions, for example, the election of a pope, does the pope decide who the pope is? No, the Roman College decides the pope. So yeah, it's correct to talk about the Vatican.
Speaker 2: Trent aren't even church teachings at all.
Speaker 1: The actual Vatican source that loft Dog mc Lofdog pulled up which refutes what Trent says. The Holy Spirit the guys, the Church is at work in the religions. The universal presence of the Spirit cannot be compared to the presence in the Church. Although one cannot exclude the it's alf value of the false religions. This is the nineteen ninety seven Vatican document clarifying what you see in Vatican two. So notice they don't explain things the paup apologist because they have some idea that this is absurd and obviously a contradiction. They don't explain things the way their Vatican does.
Speaker 2: The Catholic Church often permits theological opinions without.
Speaker 1: Oh but Trent, the theological commissions just got approved by the Pope, so they reflect Leo's mind. We just saw that with the Theological Commission on the Eastern Churches. So you understand, this is so great that Leo, Leo is now going to be the great apologist like Francis because they were able to handwave they tried to handwave for the last several years and Alexandria by saying that it's just a theological commission, it's not approved by Rome. Oh but now turns out Leo has expressed his approval of Kiati and Alexandria and that it expresses and fulfills his desire and his mind. So notice when I go to the same documents that Loten uses against Trent and Tim Gordon, that document that Trent was talking about, the Theological Commission is approved by the Vatican, and then Trent says it's just a theological commission document, it's not binding. Oh but wait a minute, Leo has now approved the Theological Commission. It reflects his mind right here. It doesn't matter it's not binding anymore. I don't have to follow it, I can reject it. How do you know what? What did he say at the beginning of his video? He said, Leo's teachings, even if they're not infallible, can be authoritative. Watch Trent contradict himself right here. Watch this.
Speaker 2: As they don't falsify Orthodoxy, but Catholicism teaches that the Pope only acts with the charism of infallibility on very rare occasions. Most of the time when he teaches, he teaches authoritatively but not infallibly.
Speaker 1: What does that mean, then, Trent, that it's authoritative but not infallible. Are you bound by it? Are you bound by the Apostolic journey letter that you should joyously embrace what Kiati and Alexandria say. Are you now supporting Leo in dropping the philioque just the recitation, not the theology. Do you not see how arbitrary and ridiculous this system is? This is the most talmudic ridiculous. Like it's like rabbis writing documents to refute documents, to make documents work with other refutations of docum to then refute and make the document where it's just crazy level insanity. And that's why it only appeals to SuDS and I don't know people with you, Froze, I don't know, Like who finds this appealing? What in this system do you get? Trent? What are you getting out of this other than your paycheck? I think Trent is also mad because I asked him if because people were alleging that Trent took money to promote stabbies during KOUF. I asked Trent, was that the case? Trent said no, But I think that might have been what prompted this angry Trent video here.
Speaker 2: So so if the pope were to instead, it publishes permitted opinions that have gained a consensus among members of the MAGISTI yeah.
Speaker 1: But Trent now, Leo affirms Kat and Alexandria and.
Speaker 2: The document JA Sites is not an error on the point J raises, because it says salvation quote is not produced independently of Christ in his church.
Speaker 1: Yeah. The problem is that it says that salvation occurs through the false religions.
Speaker 2: It also does not outright say other religions have Salvavic value.
Speaker 1: It does it says that salvation can occur by Christ saving them through Islam.
Speaker 2: It discusses the question of whether we can say, non Christian religions that predispose people to truth have Salvavic value. This is why the document talks about, quote, the possibility of the existence of Salvavic elements.
Speaker 1: And so look at those ridiculous kazustri just word games. Well, it doesn't actually say that they can be saved in those religions. That discuss the possibility of them being saved to those.
Speaker 2: Religions as whether the religions as such can have Salvavic value is a point that remains open.
Speaker 1: Oh, it says that it is possible.
Speaker 2: So that document doesn't say what Jay claims.
Speaker 1: It says. That's why Lofton is actually correct here saying that the Roman Catholics, with all the clarity between themselves and they're apop apologist, refute one another every single day. What the papal teaching is on castid CANUBII and marital relations is abundantly clear because of the papacy, right, Tim Gordon. But then the top Catholic apologists are calling themselves male feminists because they say Tim Gordon is wrong. Well, I thought it's clear. So if we're gonna make the argument that the papacy provides clarity. How come the top apologists completely disagree over fundamental questions about salvific roles of false religions. You can't even get that right now. I'm not saying that itself is a defeater of the system. That's just an observation, an anecdotal observation of the absurdity of the claim that the papacy provides unity, clarity, and moral guidance. Where the unity and clarity and moral guidance on a basic issue of whether or not I can be saved in Hinduism or not? You and Lofton and Tim Gordon can't even tell me that.
Speaker 2: And it isn't even an official teaching of the church.
Speaker 1: What's the official teaching Trent? Where's the list?
Speaker 2: In that respect, it would be like many documents proposed by orthodox theologians that Jay or other online apologists might disagree with but don't disprove orthodoxy. Now, Jay is correct that Catholics must submit even to the non infallible teachings of the.
Speaker 1: Church, oh really.
Speaker 2: Including the teachings of the Second Vatican Council. But since those teachings are not infallible, that means in rare cases a Catholic could privately, not publicly, but privately fail to accept these teachings.
Speaker 1: If notice the level of like how they're saving the system. Now when Vatican two teaches obvious contradictions and heresies, just privately keep that to yourself because you have to submit to the pope Canond seven fifty two. So I mean, I think you get what you deserve. So the people that want to follow this, the forty thousand idiots that are over here supporting this and loving this, like you this, you get what you deserve. You want a giant organized crime syndicate Operation Gladio thing running your life and ruining your life, and you want to take your kids to be around these creeps. You deserve what you get.
Speaker 2: If they have a proportionate, serious reason for doing so, and such an act would not constitute the grave sin of heresy.
Speaker 1: Oh really, so private theologian random dude Trent Horn, who was a Unitarian not too many years ago now is an expert in canon law and identifying when it's magisterial how what's what was Trent's I gotta go back to this because this was the best thing in the whole thing, the best thing in the whole discussion.
Speaker 2: All doctrines would be infallible, but they are not all infallible, because the Catholic Code of Canon Law says, no doctrine is understood is defined infallibly unless this is manifestly evident.
Speaker 1: This is the greatest reaffirmation of a circle that I've ever seen. Could you imagine something being more stupidly circular than this? Now you say, wait a minute, Jaye, don't you argue that at base all arguments are self referencing and self recursive. Yes, that's why I'm a presubpositionalist. That's why I believe in trance in all argumentation. That's why I don't believe in Trent's classical foundationalism. But do you notice what Trent is doing here? The papal epistemology is forcing him to commit a vicious circle, which he said in our or debate should be rejected. All vicious circularity is rejected according to Trent Horne. Oh really, Trent, how do I know what's ex cathedral? It's the ones that are manifestly evident as ex cathedral