Speaker 1: Welcome to Moving Conversations, a podcast for movement professionals, by movement professionals. If you coach, train, or teach movement, plates or fitness, then this podcast is for you. With more than sixty years of experience and fitness and pilates. Your host, Brian Ritchie and Norse Saint John explored to science of human movement, diving deep into the backs, myths and common misconceptions, hoping to spark thought and conversation about how we view fitness and movement. Now let's jump into Moving Conversations and welcome back to Moving Conversations and Brian Richie joining me as always is Norse Saint John. Morning.
Speaker 2: Nor How you doing very well? Brian. I'm just about to head off to Raleigh, North Carolina to do a little advanced movement principles for the upper body. It will be hot, it will be sticky, but I'm looking forward to That's a really nice group, great group of people, a great studio, alec fortising at a little bit of the East coast, a little moment on the East coast. How about you? How's your weekend?
Speaker 1: I'll the safe wrong timing to come to the East Coast is all I'm saying yes, but you know what, it's actually not going to be that bad. The heat is going to supposedly dissipate. We had massive thunderstorms yesterday, so hopefully they will calm things down a little bit. My weekend was good. I spent the teaching. I was at Serene Pilates in Vienna, Virginia, teaching Anatomy and three dimensions to a bunch of new students, and it was a lot of fun. It's always it's always interesting teaching new students because you and I teach a lot of advanced things and a lot of advanced students. So people who have been teaching for a long time, so to be around people who are just starting that there's in their infancy in their career path to pilates, it's really interesting to sort of see where they're at and go, huh, okay, some people know more than you think, some people know less than you think, and it's just an eye opening experience to be reminded of that and say, look, we all started somewhere.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, and just for any of you out there who haven't done the anatom and three demand if you're any kind of have any interest in anatomy really at all. This program has absolutely changed how I see the body, how I understand the body. I've taught it a billion times, as says Brian, and building the muscles in clay on a skeleton is like, oh, oh that goes there, Oh that goes there. And I always say, it doesn't matter whether you know it or not, even whether you can remember the name or even the place, just the fact that you have an internal like that tenesthetic sense of the structure is just really great. So anyway, I'm so glad you're teaching that, Brian, and I'm just super excited that you're taking over that program and going to move it forward because it really is so valuable for all of us and the movement professions.
Speaker 1: Well, I think I told you the first time I took the class, you forced me to take it. I just I had walked in on one of your classes figuring, oh, hang out and here in the back, and you basically said, fit here and do it, yes, ma'am. And I did it. And I did six years of anatomy at university. I went all the way up as high as you can pre med with all the other pre med students, and this was the first class that I thought, oh my gosh, I am learning so much more on such a deeper level because most anatomy is taking off. It's the removal of even doing cadaver work is the removal of this is putting it on. So you start at the deepest level and build your way out. And that was mind boggling, which is why afterwards I said, I gotta do it. I gotta teach this class. This is it just blew me away. So I highly recommend it to anybody who hasn't taken it. Take it, even if if you have any interest at all in anatomy, any interest at all.
Speaker 2: And very simple, like when you talk about the difference and how I think of the differences because I've done a lot of Cadavra work and you've done a lot of Cadeva work as well. That's a destructive process, yes, and it's a little for me. It's a little bit like the difference of demoing a room in your house, if any you've ever done that, demo takes a day. Right, you just go in there and you just slash, burn, cut, slat whatever you have to do, right, throw the stuff in the dumpster and you're done. With whatever you're doing. Creating is the hard part, like having to make choices and decide what does that go? Here? Does that go here? Is that this shape or is that this shape? That's where the learning happens because you have to make all of those decisions with your hands, with your mind, with your brain, with the whole thing. And that's that's just that's a creative process as opposed to just tearing down. And yeah, again, dissection is incredibly valuable, do not get me wrong. Seeing a real body and what the real things look like and you know, in a dead body is incredibly valuable. But this this really put all the work I did there in context and gave it structure inside my brain that I can now use as my kind internal roadmap when I'm problem solving or trying to figure something out.
Speaker 1: And that problem solving is kind of what we're going to be talking about today in a great degree, because when you understand the structure, where you understand what's going on and how everything attaches Like I say, I've taken so many different classes at university and you learn origin insertion, but until you actually see it and build it and see exactly oh it attaches on this part of the book. Oh so it does this, So when the body's in motion, it does this and that, and it, as I said many times this weekend, no muscle works in true isolation. There are lots of things helping it. There's so much happening. And you and I were talking beforehand, and you brought up a subject that keeps coming up in your you know, advanced movement principles are muscular and balances, and I thought this is a perfect opportunity for us to go a little deeper into that and talk about, you know, some of the more common ones, but also what do you do about them and how do you deal with that?
Speaker 2: I get this question all the time, And as you know, both fitness and pilates have a ten see to be bilaterally symmetrical, you know, like especially traditional pilates or traditional fitness, you know, squats and lundons and things are done equally on both sides, and a lot of things are done with both arms or whatever. And one of the things that I realized early on, and I'm sure you did as well, is we all have a dominant side. We all have a stronger right leg or a stronger left arm, and it could be a little bit stronger, it could be a lot stronger, depending on all kinds of things. And changing that or even just trying to bring the weaker side back into a little closer to the other sides so you have more balance through the structure is actually way more challenging than I thought it was. I was a young teacher, you know, and some of that goes back to how our brains develop, right.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, it's amazing when you watch people move. The last client I had to today, she's a big time mover. She's a plates instructor. She is a big time mover, but she has some muskinner balances as well, and I was having her do certain exercises and I was seeing, oh wow, okay, there's you know, when you first see something, I think the first thing you sort of as we look at something is kind of like sort of like a dog that hears a funny sound. It sort of huh. You know, your head cocks to the side. You're like, something does.
Speaker 2: Something's off, something's different, right.
Speaker 1: And especially for people who are beautiful movers, there are some people out there who you could see their dysfunction from across the street, you know, mile away. But when it's someone who is a good mover, and some of you are going to be working with dancers or athletes or whatnot. It's a little harder to spot sometimes, so you're you're sort of do I see that? Or am I imagining it? So you have to sort of dig in and you ask questions, and you you start start piecing things together and go, oh, okay, that makes sense. Then and you start, you know, piecing things together again and go back to the anatomy, go back to motion, and think, okay, how can we work on that? How can we work on just one side of it, you know, so that we're not going to be so bilateral. And I think that that's a great challenge and a wonderful thing that we get to do, but a lot more challenging than I think people ever think it's going to be.
Speaker 2: Things that I noticed. So I have a lot of you know, little little children around me, great newss and nephews and stuff of various different ages, most of them on the younger side. And I've just had a really enjoyable time. Many of you have kids, know this, watching them develop, watching them learn how to crawl and then learn how to walk, And one of the things that I will never forget is watching one good friend of mine's child when they were probably seven or eight months something like that, and they're really starting to kind of crawl and motivate themselves around the room on their belly. And this child from eight seven, eight nine months somewhere in that rain was basically crawling with one side like reach with the right arm and then the left knee and hip would flex and kind of they'd reach forward with that arm and they'd pull themselves up and the left hand would do about a quarter of that, and then the right hand would reach and then the left hand would do a little bit of that. This was from this was the beginning motor pattern for this child, right, And I could see, oh, that right side of dominance is happening now as we speak, right is developing at that moment. And that was just so interesting to me because when I've worked with those dominance patterns and myself or with my clients, it is that deeply wired that one side is going to just be in charge and the other side will do what it's told. And that deep neurological wiring is I think, why it's so hard to change. Yeah, you know, I think it's all in sort of nervous system based that their nervous system just goes right, right, right, right, left, right, left, right right. That's just I think that's how it's built wired.
Speaker 1: And if you think you want to go back to wiring, I forget who it was. But somebody a long time ago, probably in one of my university classes, said okay, cross your arms, and everybody crossed their arms. I see, now do it backwards, and you can literally see people not knowing how to put there are and finally they do it. And I think it might have been a neurologist who was talking, you know, lecturing for this class, and how did that feel? And you can just see all everywhere weird. Now do it with your legs, Yeah, everyone has one side that And now that I've gotten older, you can really see it in clients as well as with myself. One side is so natural and just sort of floats over there, and the other side little stick here, doesn't move quite as well, and you can really see, Wow, there's a lot of imbalance that occurs over a lifetime. But your patterns that you do over and over and over again do really set you on a path and sometimes you got to put up some roadblocks a little bit and say, okay, we to reverse this path or else it's going to be this way literally forever, or even if you.
Speaker 2: Can't reverse it at least like a lot of times, my experience has been it's really hard. I've got a real difference in the two sides to bring the lesser side or the weaker side up really up to match the other side. But oftentimes just bringing it up some just helps to balance those forces out. And so I talked about this being kind of like neurological development, but it also happens with sports. And I think about, you know, two of the upper body athletes that I worked with, the one who was a minor league pitcher and one who was a discus thrower, and watching them like they both had trained heavily one sided from young right from very young to a very high level of skill, and you know, I knew them twenty years after they'd given up those sports. But those imbalances were just profoundly still there. That right side was bigger. All the muscles of the arm and the leg were bigger the right director's. They were bigger on both of them. For a while, balanced body had this thing called a rocking reformer, which reformer that was on, and it was hilarious because if I put either of them on the rocking reformer, it would fall to the right because literally the right side of their body was that much heavier, wow, in this case from their earlier activities. And clearly they were dominant the right side anyway, which is why they they they you know, through with that side. But it was just interesting to see that, like, oh, okay, this is kind of deeply ingrained in your structure as we speak.
Speaker 1: Here and what you do regularly. You you talked about sports that are very unilateral. Coming from Hawaii, I've worked with UH surfers and for them, they have some of the best best developed lats I've ever seen, because it's a lot like the butterfly stroke. But yeah, great thorastic extension because lying on the board they have to lift their head to watch the wave.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and they're.
Speaker 1: Using both our simultaneously. It's not one after the other for the most part to generate power. You see them really a lot of times in both arms.
Speaker 2: It really is almost butterflyish.
Speaker 1: Yeah. A lot of them, not all, but a lot of them will do that, especially as they're really powering through and their lads are their their shoulders, their scapula, everything seems to be fairly well balanced. And on the other side, I had a client who was a professional bodybuilder. She'd gotten her pro card, and I've probably told you this story before. I was looking at her neck and one side of her trapezius was a little larger than the other, her right side, and you kept looking at that, thinking that looks very odd, because it was. It was significant. But she's very bilateral. You watch all the exercises she does, and one day I said, I'm just going to watch you work out, and literally followed her around, and I realized that every time she did tricep work and pulled down work and things, she did it on a certain machine because she liked the way that the lights hit her body in the mirror, and so she could appreciate her form at this mirror really well, and so she always cocked her head to the side throughout the whole god, every repetition. And I'm watching this and I went, this is it, and she said, what do you mean. I said, try it on the other side of the machine. And you could see she was uncomfortable because she had grooved this again, she'd been at this for fifteen years or so at this point, right, and the same thing over and over and over, and she realized, Wow, something that subtle. But again she's building muscle and her head is cocked to the side the whole time observing herself. Created that imbalance, and we sort of, Okay, now we have to sort of see what we could do to balance that out, because I'm not sure if we can undo fifteen years on one side, but we did our best to try and balance things out.
Speaker 2: So, yeah, that's a great example of detective work right, detective work right. And it's also great a great example of what Eric Franklin says, which is practice doesn't make perfect, practice makes permanent.
Speaker 1: Yep.
Speaker 2: You know, whatever you do, whatever little things you do habitually over time, fifteen years of that particular pattern does something right. The repetition changes things. Wow.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And I see it all the time working with clients. I can often tell you if they work on a laptop, or if they work with their monitors slightly to the side on their desk, or you know, therapists, Okay, you're going to cross your right handed, you cross your left, your left leg over your right leg, you rotate to this toward that leg, and you write on that thigh. And so they have this curvature and this roundedness and everything is twisted, you know, thorastically to the left. And you watch them and you try and put them on something that is unstable and it starts to turn. Literally put them on things before where they're on a balanced disc that's on a very you know, thin point, you know, while holding onto something, and their whole body starts twisting and they're like, what's happening? Well, where am I going? What? And because they're not trying their bodies right wrist, but that those patterns begin to take shape just by holding onto some balance things, she's like, I'm turning? Why am I turning? I was like, well, that's exactly yeah. And it's funny to watch because it's like, all right, and you can see they go what happened? I said? Okay? And balance and you know those balanced discs are wonderful that you put someone on that and all of a sudden their feet will start twisting and they're like, I'm turning? Why am I turning? I don't know why I'm turning.
Speaker 2: Or you trying to have them say okay, so now rotate to the right, like do the twist, like we do these on roadchet of desks all the time. And it's like once I was like, way, I can go this way, and you try to go the other way, They're like, they'll look at you and they can't. Actually they keep trying to go, but they keep the same direction. I can't even get in the opposite direction, ye, right, because those things, again, those are those are built in. Another situation that happens in terms of just creating in balance is certainly habit motor controlled, you know, all the development things, but also after an injury. So you know, I think of a lot of my clients who've had something like a serious knee surgery, ACL repair or something, and so they've been number one, injured for a while before the surgery, so probably limping or not putting as much work on that leg. Then they have the surgery, they're typically not doing a lot for a period of time, and by the time you may get them after that or years later, sometimes you will still see a deficit from that surgery that could have been five years ago, but that leg never quite caught up, and especially if it wasn't the dominant leg before. If it was the dominant leg before, I find you will sometimes catch up. If it was never the dominant leg, It's like it will just leg a little farther behind where it used to.
Speaker 1: Be, and it could be. It's so significant that a lot of times after when I get someone and they've had a surgery, like you know, let's say their knee, I'll literally measure right to left their quadrucep bulk because that is the easiest way. And I've seen upwards of multiple inches two to three inch differences between sides because is it visible from the front, Yes, if you know what you're looking for, you can see that one slightly smaller, and you wouldn't think. You wouldn't think that many inches it would be because it just looks because you're looking at it from one angle, oftentimes from the front. Yeah, and yeah, that side looks a little smaller, and down towards the knee is usually a little bit more narrow. You can see it come to more of a point. They don't have as much bulk. And then you do the measurement, you know, you do exactly halfway up the thigh to start with, and sometimes I'll do a quarter away up the thigh as well to see if vassist mediatis, that sort of thing, and you can definitely see a huge different sometimes and they don't They don't even notice it. They don't even notice it. I say, you don't notice that your genes are tighter on one side than the other. Oh, I didn't even think about that, But yeah, I guess they are. I said, Okay, this could be part of the reason. So that's one assessment that I'll do for that body part. You can do it for the upper body as well. Biceps, triceps, you know, measure that bulk as well, and sometimes you can spot it and think, oh, okay, we need to we need to work on all of this.
Speaker 2: And one of the things that I do a lot for the center of the body is look at the erectrospin a in some any kind of prone exercise or in our little standing motif that I work that we do, or somebody's prone unless they're doing prone pulling straps on the reformer or they're doing a swan somewhere, they're need some kind of back extension work. And you look and you'll see, like one side is much more developed than the other. And so that's again upper body, lower body center. All of them and one thing is all of them can be consistent or you can have those diagonal patterns. R right arm and left leg are the pattern. So it's always looking at is it just one side, one limb, one side or is it a cross body pattern? You know, where are they in terms of those imbalances.
Speaker 1: And sometimes you'll have the imbalance, especially with the spine I find the erectrospina. You'll see one side might be a significant amount of hypertrophy. When they're lying lying in the prone position, you can feel on their back one side is a lot higher. Now that side might actually be weaker because that side might be locked up. That may be where they'd had the pain for years. You don't know that. We're not here to diagnose that, but you can definitely see all right, there's definitely an imbalance between the sides. One side is a lot larger than the other, so either it's got to be stronger or there's dysfunction there. So that's when the detective work can say which side has been You know, did you have a back injury? Which side did you and oftentimes I'll say, oh yeah, and when they explain it, you say, okay, so we need to work on this side, We need to stretch this side more, we need to work on the other. And that's when you really do have to sort of be very detective like. But truthfully, that's one of the best ways you can do it. You just put your hands on it and you'll feel one side.
Speaker 2: Absolutely. If there's a difference, it's it's pretty obvious. Yeah, absolutely.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So now those are like all the many things that come into one sidedness, all the many reasons. Now what do you do? What strategies do you use in your programming to work on that? So let's let's first talk about kind of limb imbalances, okause I think they're a little bit easier than core imbalances. So what where do you go? How do you progress? Talk me through your strategies.
Speaker 1: I believe it if first of all, I'm going to work a lot harder on the side that needs it. So if let's say they've had their we're going to say it's on their non dominant legs. So they've had knee surgery or hip surgery on their left leg, its their non dominant side and I see a difference in quad bulk, I'm going to work that side probably three times more than the other. And when I say that, I mean unilateral work. So if they are already out of pain and we don't have to do a lot of those basic exercises, I like things like lunges and step ups and all of that, but I may do three sets on one side to one set on the other to see if I can eliminate some of that. I still want the other side to get strong, don't get me wrong, but I will still focus on getting that side to catch up if possible, if possible.
Speaker 2: So more basically, more reps, more sets on the weaker side.
Speaker 1: I think that's also that's absolutely useful, and that might be if they have a significant imbalance in this regard of let's say strength. If I do a single legged you know, leg press or a single legged squad or whatever, and one side their dominant side or the side that's stronger, let's say they're able to do, I'm just gonna round up and say one hundred pounds on a leg press type device on one side and the other side is seventy five pounds or something. Well, truthfully, I'm going to try and max out the weaker side, but I'm not going to necessarily max out the stronger side because I don't want both of them getting stronger at the same time.
Speaker 2: I don't want to keep that in balance going exactly right at the same right, just keeping that in balance going, but both sides getting stronger, yeah.
Speaker 1: Right, But I will still challenge it. So if it's max is that hundred pounds and that's what they're comfortable doing, whatever number of repetitions I've decided, I'll keep them there for a while because I don't want them to get weaker. I don't want them I don't want the other side to be the limiting factor because then you'll see not one side get stronger and the other get weaker. That's that's not good. So I'd rather have no So I keep that side at where it is, and then I focus on the weaker side, and I, like I say, I'll do at least two to one ratio a lot of times three to one ratio to see if I can catch up or at least get them closer to balance. Quad bulk may never come back one hundred percent, especially if it's in the non dominant side. But if I can get the strength back at least so that they're pushing equally on both sides, then okay, that can be a huge game changer for how they function in life.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, so I think that's a that for me is like the beginning point, right, is just working the others, working the less active side or the less dominant side or the weaker side more. And you know, in pilates, this means working on single sided work, asymmetrical work, which we don't always emphasize in pilates, but that's that's where I go. Single egg footwork, single egg knee stretch, single egg footwork on the chair, things like that. One other thing that I've found, which I've also found to be pretty useful is having them focus on the less active side in all of their bilateral work. So just like, look, so they're doing a squad or they're doing footwork on the reformer with both legs, just think about the less active side. Just think about the left side or the right side, whichever one it is, and then keep focusing on that. Just pay attention to that less active side. I've found, like for things like feet and straps, where a single like fet and straps are relatively advanced on the reformer for someone who doesn't have a lot of core stability, So I'm not necessarily going to do single eg feet and straps, but I might say lead every movement with your weaker leg, you know, so if you're doing circles or whatever, just think left, think left, think left, and they'll they'll find generally like, oh my god, that leg is so much more tired, just from the mental focus on it. So that's another technique that I use a lot in terms of just trying to get that balance going a little bit more.
Speaker 1: And something that I noticed especially I do bilateral work. If they're in a machine or something like that, they're locked into position. Even on the reformer, a lot of times they're going to be more locked into position that if they're doing a free squad for instance, or getting up out of a chair or something like that, where their body they have to stabilize from the ground up, and do they lean, do they shift their weight from one side to the other, And I'll let them do a couple of repetitions, because sometimes their body's just trying to organize, so that can take a repetition or two. But three, four or five reps. Those numbers, I start watching and I'll put their awareness as to what I see. So with my client this morning, when I saw that there was a little imbalance in her hips, I would saying I wanted her to focus more on that side and put her attention into it. And again, she's a mover. She understood exactly what I said. But sometimes it's as much as I want you to think about pushing a little harder with your left leg. It could be something as simple as that. Yeah, and or can you see your belt? A great thing to do is if they can wear a belt, or if you have a belt that you can put around them and make sure it's even on both sides based on you know where their hips are, and say, okay, I just want you to watch this belt as you do this exercise and do you see it tilting to one side? Wow? Yeah, Say okay, let's keep it balanced. Let's try and keep that straight. And what you're going to find is it's going to reduce their range of motion. Because a lot of people have it and have something in their head about I need to do this to full range of motion, whatever that is for the person I'm not saying right or wrong.
Speaker 2: Yep.
Speaker 1: They may have some preconceived notion. So I'll say go half that, go half that. As soon as I see that start to change, I say, okay, that's your limiting factor. Let's stop there, yep, and let's do twenty reps. Let's try and groove this. And you put your focus on the weaker side. And I find sometimes having that visual because not everybody's kinesthetically aware, but having that visual can actually make them say, oh I see that, I see that, and that really helps, especially and you get into some corese stuff and pelvic stuff and you know, hip stuff, because you're going to see that belt line start to sink one side to the other when they're doing certain exercise. You'll be like, okay, get that straight, get that belt line straight, come on now, or tucking your shirt and you can see it at their belt line and their pats sort of thing, say I want that balanced, and that can bring them aware visually, and sometimes that can really make a world of difference.
Speaker 2: So that brings us to kind of the second key principles.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 2: First one is just do more on the weaker side. But what you're talking about here is not just that it is improving the movement pattern on the less active side. Right, So that's that next level. Right, first thing is just do more, because I think doing more is part of it, for sure, But the other one is doing more better. Right, Yes, just doing more but doing it better. And so for me, one image that I often use there is the idea that, like, you're too sides are two individuals. They're not twins. They're not identical twins. Then maybe fraternal twins. So what I've got somebody really has those imbalances. I said, rather than thinking of this as the bad side, and this is the good side, because that's almost always a language every client will.
Speaker 1: Show up with everyone.
Speaker 2: I say, okay, so this is Louise and this is Alice. These are my own particular right and lefts. And I say, now, when I'm working on my right leg, which for me is my dominant side, what does it need? Like just ask the question, like what do I need to make this side work its best? It needs this, this, and this. When I go to my weaker side, what almost everybody does is like first they just get frustrated and angry, like why doesn't it do what the other side does? Like there's all these really weird, not helpful psychological pieces. Right, well, you're just stupid, like some parties going this side is just stupid. Why isn't doing what it's supposed to do.
Speaker 1: Why can't you do it?
Speaker 2: It's like, okay, exactly, you idiot. Instead it's like, what are you doing? What do you need to do this better? And as an and as an educator, as a teacher, I'm also looking at what do they need on that side to do that better? Because sometimes that dominance is because they have more hip range of motion so they can't control it as well. And maybe they have less ankle range of motions so they can't go as deep in that squat, so all their mechanics are different on that leg, right, So it's not just the difference in more, but also why if there is a why why is that leg not working as hard? And if is there something I can do to help it work harder, increase stability, increase mobility, work on alignment, correct some other piece of the situation.
Speaker 1: And that in my brain comes down to the next stage of sort of detectiveness, which is, okay, what exactly is the imbalance? Because if we just say, let's say we're working with the thigh, for instance. Well, a lot of people say, well, it's obviously going to be, you know, one side versus the other. Well maybe, but is it the quadricep, is it a part of the quadricep, the lateral or medial? Is it quadriceps versus hamstrings? Is it the adductor versus the abductor. There's a lot of balance that happens within that one limb, and sometimes one of those is super strong, but another one is the weak link. And unless you can sort of identify that and say, oh, wow, yeah, you're actually not weak in your ab doctors, your glutes are actually fairly strong, but your adductors, man, they just are. Yeah, they are not nearly strong enough exactly. So it's affecting everything else. But if all you think about is I need grouts, I need my groups to be stronger, well that might be part of it. And at the beginning it is just okay, we need gross strength. But down the road you have to really sort of figure out, okay, what else is necessary? What of those all those muscles, which is the weakest link. Let's start focusing on that one specific.
Speaker 2: Right, So we've just gone from a gross general, do more on the left leg, or do more on the left arm, or whatever it is to improve in the movement pattern and identifying why that movement pattern is or isn't doing what you wanted to do to that next level of or that a deepening of that which part of that area isn't working for you, right, and then trying to correct that as much as you can that precise imbalance. I mean, a classic thing I think of is a lot of the diagonal patterns that you're actually stronger on your left quad and your right hamstring yep, right that there's oftentimes those kind of patterns or even more commonly, your right ab doctors and your left ad doctors are dominant and your other two are like out to lunch. If there's a little hip imbalance or there's a little hip shift, or there's a pelvic rotation, any of those things are going to create those kind of imbalances, and those are more subtle right Like in that case, Okay, I've got to really get your left ab doctors going and your right ad doctor is going, for instance, and then working on like like not just more on one leg because the left of the less size acting weaker not just more on the left, it's more of these on the left, more adductor work on the left, and more ad doctor work on the right. So that's again we're just like deepening those layers of understanding to try to get as focused as we can. But in all those circumstances, you need to do more of what isn't working.
Speaker 1: Yep, absolutely, And I think those are some of the things that people miss h And you said it perfectly. When you're looking at the lateral line. While that right gluteous medius may not be strong, but that often means that that left a adductor group is also not quite as strong. So but people don't see that side, so all they're doing is working on the gluteaus. Media is doing all the sideline work, stepping sideways, all of those type of exercises without addressing part B, Part B or even part C. It's not necessarily the primary, you know, limiting factor, but it's contributing to it, especially in walking, in balance work, in stepping up you know, stairs, all of those type of things, and people don't always put that together. So, like you said, if the quad on one side is strong, the hamstring on the other side may be well, reverse that and maybe focus on that a little bit. And you're right, those diagonal patterns, when we see those, it's sort of ah okay. So if you see one thing that's you know, short, you know, shortened up on one side and not really strong, see if the other side, if there's something missing there too, because that diagonal pattern might be it.
Speaker 2: And that gets us into a bit of my lower body. We've talked in many different things about assessing and understanding that this gets into the core a bit, because that's where you really see those diagonal patterns, yes, a lot, right, just as you talked about your wonderful case example earlier of the rotation.
Speaker 1: Yep, you know.
Speaker 2: So if you are familiar with the bounce spider language on this, the anterior and post, your oblique slings, or the muscles that go from right shoulder to your left hip and your left shoulder to your right hip in the front and in the back, those are really what control and manage the rotation of the torso. And very often just from daily life, from driving, from mousing, from your point being a therapist, from pitching, you get really wound up in one sign and not in the other, and that creates different forces through the spine, different forces through the neck, different forces through the hips and everything else down and up the chain, right, So that's that next piece is then how do you look at those rotations and how do you balance out some of that in the core.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so let's talk about the oblique slings because I think understanding those is very important. And I find the posterior oblique sling is usually the weakest because often a lot of spinal you know, rehabilitation work with people. So the glutes oftentimes are going to be one of the culprits. They're not that strong, but it's the opposite lat So if it's my right glute that's not strong, and you can often see that again if you put them in a prone position, one side of their glute looks like it's hypertrophed and the other side looks like it's kind of saggy. Oftentimes that me an indication, oh, I need to focus on that side a little bit more. But one other one of the way tin this thing, friend.
Speaker 2: One other way I see that is when people stand up, you'll see that the high perture feed glute, that glue you'll fold that bottom of the butt is higher. Yeah, you see it prone, but you'll also just see it standing. I just want to throw that out there. Carry on.
Speaker 1: So when we're talking about that POSTERI oblique sling system, a lot of times what I'll do is I will want to again do more rotation work, shortening that side. So after I've already worked the glute, maybe I've done. And you can even do this through Britain Jin. If you get to the point where you're doing one legged bridging, well guess what if you push down with the opposite arm into the ground, and I like to do it with a bent elbow, so I'm pushing my elbow into the ground.
Speaker 2: I find that like your back of your whole upper arms in it. Yeah, I mean yeah.
Speaker 1: A lot of people will push with their hand and that's okay, but I find that they start rounding their shoulder. Yeah exactly.
Speaker 2: If i'm hand the hand gets more pecky, and if I really push back, I can get more la laddie.
Speaker 1: Yeah exactly. And it's a little bit more of an isometric because the range of motion is quite small within the hip and you're really being isometric in the lad However, it can begin to wake that area up a little bit, and then once it's woken up, I can take them to doing some standing work, and I love doing standing work. Well, I'll take them into a staggered stance where if it's their right glute that's weak, I'll take the right leg back, left leg forward, and I'll do a row with my left arm so that every time I pull with my lat guess what, my glute is also going to have to stabilize on that side. And I'll add rotation on that side, adding more rotation because again we have a tendency to think of rotation being for the core, for the abs, and we do forward flection with rotation, but we really want to do more rotation in an upright position because if I have to open the refrigerator, if I have to close the door, if I have to whatever I'm doing, I'm often going to be in a standing position.
Speaker 2: Really my line down absolutely. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So I like doing the unilateral work that way, and I will do two or three sets on that side versus one set on the other. And again it's mainly for the core, so I'm not necessarily thinking about I'm building my posterior shoulder girdle on that side. A lot of times it's more about the rotation and it's just grooved that rotation. And I'll do a lot of repetitions just to remind the body this is what I want. So I might do twenty twenty five repetitions with a medium weight, not anything too heavy, and change from cables to springs to bands to everything, because every resistance is going to feel a little bit different.
Speaker 2: And so I love that. I love absolutely how that works. One of the things that I focus on a lot with those imbalances like you is the posterious sling is just thinking about that back shoulder to the back opposite glute, and I even work on that, just that imagery in any kind of oblique abdominal work. And kind of my favorite way to do that is putting a small ball, small inflatable ball under the rib cage, support the head with the hands, just you know, you're in a curl position and you're not all the way up, You're like halfway up into your curl, and take your rotations from there. And this is more about the lab but this will also gets a little bit into the glute. But basically it's like working on rotating, but instead of thinking of front shoulder to front hip or front rib case to front hip opposite side, I think of that back shoulder to that back hip, and also think about really rotating from the spine and keeping it centered. And when I even just add that queuing in to any of my oblique work, number one, people tend to go a whole lot farther. Like they get more range because they're using more of the body. They wake up that back sling, which is usually pretty sleepy in that position because you're slightly flexed. And it also really helps to keep the toruso more centered over the pelvis. If you think of most people when they do an oblique abdominal of some kind, they really sidebend a lot. They tip back and forth and that's usually what you'll see. And this, especially with the ball, really helps them to have that rotation, be a little purer around that rotational component and getting that back slang going. But I love the standing work. I think is really the most effective. Our version of that. All the applaudes people would be like standing on the end of the trap table with the springs, same idea. We can do all that work.
Speaker 1: Yep, And you can even do it on the reformer, standing off the reformer to the side with a relatively light spring, or and do it that way as well, because then it turns it into sort of a cable machine, which you're using the springs. Your range of motion is going to be not as great as let's say a cable machine or a band. Just be aware it's going to get hard faster. But it is another option that you can use in the plot's world. I have something I wanted to bring up with you and a little sidebar here. Okay, talking about the postterial bleak sling. A long time ago, someone mentioned that doing opposite arm and leg rays is really getting at the postterial bleak sling. So your quadruped, you're down on all fours, you lift one leg and the opposite arm forward, and it made sense. But at the same time, you're really lengthening your lat you're really not shortening your lad. And so I've had I've had many conversations and arguments here and something that I'll sometimes do is instead of having them take the arm forward, I'll have them take it out to the side instead start getting a little bit more. I don't have them rotate. And if they have one side that's weaker, I'll just have them hold that side for five seconds. The other side maybe hold for one one and a half seconds, and just have them do a little longer isometric hold in that regard. And I kind of wanted to hear what your thought was on that being the posterterio oblique sling when the arm is going forward, when you're stretching out the lad and not necessarily contracting it into the opposite glute, what do you think? You know?
Speaker 2: I've had that thought many times.
Speaker 1: You too, right, Okay, I'm not the only one, you know, And.
Speaker 2: I've kind of like walked around that conflict in my brain. So well, you know, hey, you do that, you just like and you just zip around that little doubt that shows up in your head. So yes, I have had exactly the same moment. So let's think about that. One thing that I think about is as a general thing, is that the slings are, uh, you know, the way the way that I've kind of taken them from Diane Lee and expanded them slightly from my own purposes and for our purposes a movement, the slings are are again still metaphors for all the things that are involved in those moves, and I know when I'm going to lift up my let's say I'm in all fours and I'm doing an opstarm a leg reach or bird dog, whatever you want to call it, and I'm reaching my right arm up and my left leg up. I am definitely activating the back of my body from that right arm to the left hip. Right lat is maybe part of that. It may be contracting in an elongated state right because it is elongated there.
Speaker 1: But it also can be it can you know, can be.
Speaker 2: Active there anyway. And of course other things are working. Our retrospin a and you know, our postory deltoid, a lot of other things are kind of in action there m h. And so some of me just thinks, well, it may not be exactly the muscles that we talk about for the postteri obilique sling. But I also think think about swimmers, all right, because again you've worked on with swimmers after a lot with swimmers, and their lats are gigantic, to your point with your surfers, right, their lats are gigantic. And yes, a lot of it is that that stroke, that that crawl stroke or that butterfly stroke. Right arm forward and then you pulled back with the lat. Well, there's a there's a there's a piece of that that that you know again comes up overhead and then comes back down, and so that that lat is in action. It's sort of eccentric concentric, eccentric concentric or right concentric eccentric, eccentric concentric. And part of my feeling is that that works east centrically or eccentrically as well as concentrically.
Speaker 1: Mm hmm.
Speaker 2: Maybe I don't know.
Speaker 1: Thought, yeah, the gang, we're literally spitballing here. And the only reason I bring this up is because this is something that Nora and I would do on a regular basis, you know, throughout our whole careers. We'd sit there and say, I've been thinking about this, and so this is something that I never brought up with you, and I thought, you know what, this is a good opportunity since we're talking about this what I've told people, because I've had I've had students ask me this, as I say, think of it as an anti rotation type of exercise. As soon as I lift my arm up on that side and the opposite leg, my body really wants my limbs to go down. So I have to elevate that to prevent that rotation. So I say, so, technically, I'm working those muscles of rotation on you know, the torso, the upper torso on one side and the lower torso on the other side, so it's more of an anti rotation static hold. And when I've explained that, I've gotten people thinking, oh, okay, now again, could I be making something up and pulling something out of somewhere odd out?
Speaker 2: However, if it works.
Speaker 1: Made sense in my brain. It made sense in my brain at the moment, and I just said okay, and I played with that again. I also will teach that move with the arm out to the side because it also challenges more of that rotation, so it adds to that de rotation factor. So these are just again I wanted to throw that out there because we are talking about correcting those imbalances. So if you can have them hold longer on one side when you're trying to get the posterial o blick sling, for instance, you can really sort of get that to wake up a little bit more. So maybe a three to five second hold versus a one second hold on the other side. I find that that sometimes can just wake it up. And I think for the core especially we're talking about the slings, we're not always talking about a hypertrophy situation or a string situation as much as it's a neurologic and a reprogramming and patterning situation.
Speaker 2: Exactly, an activation and coordination situation. Yeah, And what I like what you're just saying. I wanted to amplify that just a little bit. One of the things that I do a lot is things like isometric holds for an area that's asleep. You know, whether it's a vassist mediallist contraction for the quadriceps, or in this case, it's like a rotation where you hold that rotation or an anti rotation like you're doing, you know, being on an unstable surface for example, or what you're just talking about, and just holding that and feeling what's working in that moment. And I do this, honestly, this all the time on myself with my particular imbalances. Is I just hang out on the side that doesn't do the job and try to figure out, like, what isn't working, what this is just from an internal perspective, but I do it as a teacher as well, what's not working. What's it different on that side? Can I get that energy moving through? Let's say for me it's my left biceps wacky and my left bicep attendant is always a little wacky, Like, can I get that energy move there? Can I hold that and then find that scapuld replacement for example, and just find it and then move out of it and then move back into it. So it's also that self for me, self identification of where the differences are and then again issymmetrically waking them up and then working them. And that wake up and then work is another classic thing for all of this, because if if you've got a weak side, a particularly like with erectrospine, if you don't wake it up, it won't do the job. It will never wake up on all these things will not wake up on their own, It's been my experience. So you have to do something to give them a little a little slap in the face to get them to actually pay attention. Then they'll start to participate in the move. But without a little wake up call, sometimes they don't ever really wake up. They just don't.
Speaker 1: And I think this sorty goes on to the next point if for me, which is awareness. I want to make the client aware of what are you feeling. Let's face it, our clients in general, and maybe some of you even out there listening, aren't really aware of how your body feels, what's working, what's not working. People sort of sleep walk through life, and it's because they're just moving unconsciously, which is fine. In a perfect world, we would all move perfectly through an unconscious movement pattern. Unfortunately we're not all perfect, and that's okay. But to bring someone's awareness to it, and you just said it yourself. When you hang out there, you're asking yourself what do I feel? And sometimes you can do it through body sense, where you say, can you feel this with this arm? How about the here? You know, put your hands on both hip bones and do this movement. Do you see how one's not working the same as the other? Oh? Yeah, I feel that? Or can you feel how one side of your erectors just bulges up really big to the other side. When you can do that and give them that awareness, suddenly you're giving them the responsibility. So you can give them homework and you can say, Okay, we're going to work on this, and you're gonna do this for one minute a day. Don't give them too much because obviously they won't do it. But by making them aware and putting them into the respons giving them that responsibility and so that they're taking an active part in their healing, their recovery, or they're you know, trying to lessen the imbalances. I'm not going to say eliminate, but lessen the imbalances to hopefully get them out of, you know, some dysfunction. I think that's valuable to give them that.
Speaker 2: It's critical And to your point earlier about the belt, it's like, if they if they can't feel it internally, can they see it visually? Can they you know, can you put them on a roll or where they feel like they fall over to the right or it's harder to balance on their left, like enhance their proper reception through vision, through internal sensation, you're putting them on unstable surfaces, changing the pressure tactile with your hands or their hands, like all the different ways that we've talked about another podcasts about helping them to feel it. That's the key thing because if they can be aware that their left arm is not doing the same thing as their right arm, for example, then then if they're aware of that more of the day, then they can take different choices of how they pick that thing up, how they you know, maybe they always lean on their right arm, right, maybe they start leaning on their left arm. Or to your point, they cross their arms one way, what if they cross their arms the other way.
Speaker 1: If they always mouse.
Speaker 2: With their right hand, what if they mouse with their left hand right. So, just finding those ways to bring that awareness to their daily activities, because that's you know, when you change habit, you change bodies. You can change what they do every day, you can change everything. If you don't change what they do every day and you only work with them that one or two hours a week, you know, you make some change, but not the same that you will if they're paying attention more of the time.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I find with that too. You got to make them care because yeah, it has to be meaningful. It has to be meaningful. That's a great way to say it. Yeah. And we may see the imbalance and we may think, oh my gosh, that's the reason that X, Y and Z is happening, and that's the reason for this and this, and we can see it. But unless they buy in and they believe it and they see that there's value in doing this thing that I don't know why I'm even doing this, but they say it's okay. One of my clients this morning was talking to me about the physical therapists. She will email the physical therapists, I want you to do this and this at home, and she's thinking that has nothing to do with this, and she'll do it and she says it helps. I said, exactly, it's okay. Just do what they say sometimes and you don't always have to buy in. But now she's worked with this physical therapist for years and trust them knows okay, they say to do it, I'm going to do it. Yeah, And we have to find that same level of trust with the client that Okay, this is going to help and it's not going to take all day. It's not going to it's sort of take you a minute or two a day. But once you sort of establish that trust, then you can say, okay, now I want you to do this, and they're just going to do it without questioning everything. Give them a reason. But they may not be, as you know, doubtful or I don't know why I'm doing this silly thing, so you got to make it meaningful, and then when they start seeing a little bit of progress, then they will buy in even more. That trust begins to build when they have success.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, so this was a this was a wide ranger. There's a lot of things in here and a lot of I think pretty practical things because again, we work with these imbalances absolutely all the time, and you know that first step is just do more. Just do more on the week side, figure out whether what the differences are in the movement patterns, like why is that side weaker? Maybe it's an old injury, maybe it's whatever it is an activity they do. Try to really identify where that imbalance is coming from. Mobility, lack of mobility, lack of stability, lack of strength, what's it doing? Hone in really really be precise, and then awareness and buy in for the client. You know, those are all all pieces that we want to bring together whenever we're working on in balances.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and these are all practical. These are things that you can do with your clients because you're going to need to. You're going to need to or even on yourself if you experience we all have imbalances. Let's face it, we all have imbalances. I've been working on mine for years, and I'm sure you've been working on yours. Oh yeah, we all have. I mean we're not twelve anymore. Bodies are sort of yeah, we're human, human the patterns. But when you can do that and make yourself you've been aware of it, you can start to make some significant change and some growth. And so hopefully we've given you some ideas on ways to begin to progress in that direction, and hopefully it'll help. That's at least what we're continuing to try and do for ourselves and our clients. That's right. Oh well, thank you guys so much for listening. We really appreciate it. Hit that like and subscribe button. As I say every week, we really appreciate it. Like I say, about thirty percent of you are regular subscribers. We would love it if every one of you would hit that subscribe button. It would help us out a lot. So please do us a favor and hit that subscribe button. If you see us on Instagram, give us a comment, give us a like. We really appreciate it. We're moving combos at Instagram if you want to get in touch with us, Moving Convos at gmail dot COM's the best way to get in touch with us. If you have any suggestions of show topics or any specific questions, hit us up. We'd be more than happy to talk with you and maybe discuss some of the things that you guys are thinking about. So until next week for Nora Saint John, I'm Brian Richie. We'll see you then.
Speaker 2: Hi, guys, no