Speaker 1: I'm Ali. I came out after twenty years of marriage and I have three kids.
Speaker 2: I'm Melissa and I have two kids, and I came out at thirty seven after an eleven year marriage.
Speaker 1: This podcast is about coming out later and the struggles and victories that come with it.
Speaker 2: When coming out feels like the end of the world, but it's really just the beginning.
Speaker 1: This is the Lesbian Chronicles. The Lesbian Chronicle. Why is it always so scary?
Speaker 2: I don't know. I thought we were going to say it. For a second. I was like, oh, no, she has stage fright.
Speaker 1: On stage fright. I wish I did have stage fright. You know, I'm playing around with a ring light and I don't know if I'm getting it right. What do you think? I mean?
Speaker 2: I could tell when you turned it off a minute ago.
Speaker 1: Well, hello, pre fourth of July.
Speaker 2: I know it's fourth of July weekend. It's a big weekend here in Peachtree City.
Speaker 1: Is it okay? What do y'all do?
Speaker 2: Go all out on Saturday? It's like a parade in the morning, which is a great parade. I love it. And it's kind of tough, you know, like these days to be like fully patriotic, but I'm still trying to be like I can embrace it for a day for the kids.
Speaker 1: Do it for the kids.
Speaker 2: There's a big parade in the morning, then we usually go swimming, and then fireworks at night. So nice all in, Yeah, okay, nice, I'm excited. You you're going to Florida.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm going to Florida, which Red just told me that it's like supposedly the airport tomorrow is going to be complete and utter mayhem. Yeah he heard, I know. So we're gonna have together. We actually have a pretty early ish flight and so maybe that's helpful. I don't know, but we're just going to get up really early. He and I are meeting Tatum and Owen in Sarasota and then we'll be there for the fourth for four or four nights.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I would say, get there early, don't do your typical.
Speaker 1: My typical run in at the last I won't because I noticed on my flight there are no available seats. Yeah, so I'm like, if I miss it, I'm not in a good way.
Speaker 2: And with the fourth being on a Saturday, I guarantee you so many people are doing the Thursday through Monday weekend yeah, so yeah, it's going to.
Speaker 1: Be I can't disappoint my parents. They're so excited. We're all going to be there, My cousins, my kids, my sister and her husband are obviously lived there, but she's got like all her people in one spot like this one time every year, and I know that's like my parents like thrill of a lifetime.
Speaker 2: So I'm sure there because this is I've been in Panama City Beach for the fourth before and like people set off fireworks like crazy. There is the same.
Speaker 1: It's totally the same. But keep in mind, now we used to be on the beach and now we have no The hurricanes did that, so we're now in a new spot, so we don't know really yet what the fireworks are going to be like. So I think it'll be great no matter what. We'll find them. But it's not going to be like the old days where you're just like playing in the beach and it was just such a world and my kids grew up in that. I'm like, now that's not the case.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it is so nice to be able to just sit on like your porch or your balcony and watch fireworks like I know, so much fun.
Speaker 1: But last year, not last year, but the year before. We were It was July fourth, and the fireworks were going off and some guys were fishing off the beach while we were like doing Fourth of July with our coolers, and they caught a massive tarpain. Oh, they're like, fight, have you ever seen somebody catch a tarpin off the beach? Absolutely? I mean you can't take your eyes off it. I mean it was just like insane. I mean, nobody cared about the fireworks. They were just like watching this turpin come in.
Speaker 2: And that's pretty big, right, huge?
Speaker 1: I mean it was I can't even guess it was massive, but he did it for a long time.
Speaker 2: It was like surprising off the beach. Yeah, that's crazy. I've seen people catch sharks off of beach.
Speaker 1: I don't need to see that to me. I'm already so scared.
Speaker 2: I caught a shark really not off the beach, but like deep sea fishing in Panama City.
Speaker 1: Like it was pretty small, but it was still like still, yeah, it's totally shocking.
Speaker 2: When I'm reeling it in there like it's a shark, I was like, wait, what what, I don't know that was an option.
Speaker 1: I always tell the story that like by my parents' house, there's a guy who has like a seaplane and he just flies around down on the island. And he was saying that, like if you could see what he sees from up there, He's like, you would never get in the water. And so I'm like, why did you tell me that? Because now I know, Yeah, I now the kids. Now you've ruined it for me.
Speaker 2: I used to go like way out and like second sandbar, and I don't do it anymore.
Speaker 1: Like yeah, now that I know, so I'm too chicken. Too chicken. I've got a friend right now who's out on a one of those like chartered trips where you like go out on the boat. Actually they're not chartering it. They're taking the boat, but they're out like in starting in Saint Martin's and going Saint martin and going to all these like crazy places Saint Bart's, like stopping at each one and going by boat. And I just it like lit up in me. That is a trip I am desperate to do. That sounds like I just live on a boat for like a week. Yeah, I think.
Speaker 2: I would love that, But I also get sea stick.
Speaker 1: So I'm hearing this more and more from people like you can't take a drama, meine and get with the program.
Speaker 2: Well that's what I did when I went deep sea fishing in Key West. It was the roughest seas I've been in on a pretty small boat, and I ended up taking a dramamine. It was not working. I also was very unprepared. I did not have food. I barely brought water. I was a moron that weekend. But I took one dramamine didn't work. I took the second because I was like green and I was basically napping in between my turn, like miserable. So yeah, but dramamine did help, but I probably I needed to take it before I even got on the boat. So but it's one of those things where it's like I want to do the activity. I love it to blast, but my body is going to fight me.
Speaker 1: I don't get I guess sometimes, but it has to be really nuts for me to be sea sick.
Speaker 2: This was nuts. This was like back and forth the whole entire time, and it was like an eight hour day.
Speaker 1: Oh god, Okay. I like the idea of like island hopping, because then it's like just when you're getting tired of being on the boat. You're stopping at some eat spot and like having drinks or eating or whatever, and I like to read or just like be quiet. Like I could see where it would be fun to just be out on the water for days on end, cooking dinner on the boat. You don't know, that just sounds it's like camping on steroids with a real bed.
Speaker 2: With a Yeah, like maybe better than camping.
Speaker 1: It's way better than camping. I mean, but the stars like all of it. I don't know. I'm just like magically like thinking. But ever since she went, I'm like, this is just I want to do it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's very cool.
Speaker 1: Let's get gay.
Speaker 2: Let's get gay. You said we have an email? Yeah, so were allowed to read the email? Did they give?
Speaker 1: I think I can. If I can make it kind of vague, I can read it, I'll make it back. Okay, So she says, Hi, Ali and Melissa. I'm late in life. Coming up to almost a year being out publicly has been very confronting for me. There's a term I've heard second coming out that I really relate to, because it turns out so far the women I'm attracted to are not what I imagined or expected. They tend to be more masculine presenting and more obviously gay, and that has brought up a lot internally and externally for me, particularly around family, friends, and public perception. I would so love an episode on this, And then I told her I love this idea. I remember feeling that way with my catalyst. She was obviously gay, and it embarrassed me a little bit around my family and in the really early days. And of course now I am more masculine than I was back then, so obviously I've gotten comfortable with it. She does on to say, yes, it's been a challenge. I'm only just starting to feel okay about it. When I first came out, I did a lot of classic things like cutting my hair off blah blah blah. I also think finding my new aesthetic has been really challenging too. I felt I wanted to look the part, you know anyway, So it's such it is such an interesting journey. I think that part of the journey I am feeling. It feels kind of close to home for me right now, but bigger than that. I do recall my mom and dad like meeting my catalyst, like one time they met her they are feeling like I wish she didn't look so masked. And as I've gotten more mask I've thought about oftentimes meeting women's families and wondering if it's like if I'm embarrassing for them in some way because I look gay. Now. Sometimes sometimes I don't, but sometimes I do. Yeah, most of the time I do.
Speaker 2: Most of the time, you do?
Speaker 1: Ye, almost all the time I do. And so is that we cannot hide the gay walk. We cannot hide it at the cloud.
Speaker 2: I've had the gay walk since I was in high school or earlier than that.
Speaker 1: I know if I have the gay walk now do I Yeah, you do, I think, I.
Speaker 2: Think, but maybe not as bad as some of us, but it's there.
Speaker 1: I do think too. Like I've had friends say to me that like even like with their children, it's not just their parents, their children have a feeling around why are you dating such like mask women? Why can't you just pick like a really fem women and be two fem women like that seems more palatable right to people? And why is that? And then also like why is that not what is happening that that can't be the way for me at least?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean I think it's like very layered. You know, why is it.
Speaker 1: More palatable, Why is it more palatable to a mother or a child to wish you Melissa would date somebody who looks like a very femin lesbian. Why do they want that for you?
Speaker 2: I think it's one of those things where it's like like you're well, more digestible, you know, more acceptable, and it will more like they do okay, you know, I think there's a lot of people who are kind of operating under that, like not even realizing it, but they're doing a lot of things to fit in in life. You know, think about all like what the suburban moms. You know, whenever some new trend starts, they're all hopping on board. They all want to be accepted, and in a lot of ways, they all end up looking the same, you.
Speaker 1: Know, exactly the same.
Speaker 2: Like Lululemon is thriving here in Peachtree City because that's where all the women shop, you know, the Stanley cups, like I don't even know what cup is in style right now, but like those little like trendy things. It's like all part of like that mass being accepted. And I think when you know, you're already struggling to accept yourself and then you're like, Okay, I'm gay, but like, look, I'm dating someone who looks like everybody else, you know, like I fit in too. Like I think that's part of it, you know, what is it? Like?
Speaker 1: Why do I care what you do? I know I'm picking you, like why I'm picking you? So to my family, you're more palatable if you look one way. And I could honestly say my parents probably would fall into that catagory, like if they could choose for me, if I have to be gay, they would rather me pick someone really feminine.
Speaker 2: Right, and saying here, that was one of the things one of the very first things my mom said when I came out was only date the pretty ones.
Speaker 1: What the fuck does that even mean?
Speaker 2: Right? Like what but when does that?
Speaker 1: If you would to say to her to find that for me, she.
Speaker 2: Would say, the feminine girls, the ones that don't have short hair, the ones that aren't dressing Like what if.
Speaker 1: They're feminine and they're not attractive, feminine, plenty of them.
Speaker 2: So lipstick on a pig, right, doesn't fix the walk. So but like, I don't I think you know, we're also speaking being raised by parents that my parents are now in their eighties, you know, like the way you look, the perception is so drilled in their heads, and then it was before drilled in my head and yours too, I think to some extent. So I think that, you know, it's that internalized homophobia of it all, Like we can you can be accepting of being of people that are gay or whatever, but it's like, don't be too gay, too gay. It's kind of like the flamboyant gay man, you know, like people get really irritated by that, like that, why do you have to be so gay? Why are you so flamboyant when there's like plenty of like gay men that are not that way, right, But it's like different personalities, you know, it's true.
Speaker 1: I just wonder if, like Tatum got off Instagram a long time ago, like years ago, and I remember her saying that, like she was part of what she liked about not being on Instagram, and she's like, my style has gone so rogue because I have no I literally wear what I feel good in and she ends up looking great. But it's like she's like, my style is so rogue because I don't see anybody on socials get dressing like I don't have no sense of style anymore of what's in because I'm not on social media and I don't know. I was thinking about how like to her that was a bonus of like, I'm not going to end up looking like everybody else because I don't see even see what they're doing. Yeah, but I do remember like as a mom at my kids preschool, every mom at Saint Anne's preschool had the same Louis Vuitton big bag yep. And I remember like thinking like there's no value anymore in the bag because and every single person has it. It stops being this exclusive thing. Now it's just the masses of sheep all have the same bag.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So now now you've lost all the value there. There's value when there's less of it. Yeah, And so then it's like I don't know, like I think I would, I would get curious about that.
Speaker 2: I actually just saw a TikTok video because like a lot of I'm on like Japan TikTok right now, oh gosh, and a lot of people go over there to buy like designer stuff, yeah, because it's so much cheaper there. And this one video I saw, the woman was like I got there and saw it all like just kind of displayed out almost like in a like TJ Max kind of setting. Yeah, and she's like, get lost all the appeal, Like.
Speaker 1: It lost all the appeal.
Speaker 2: It's expensive because we've made it expensive in the United got it Like it's not that great, it's not that quality, right, It's just what everybody else is doing, And it's I feel like that's a huge, huge thing like for us as late in life. Life. One of the reasons why we're here is because we were trying to do what everybody else is doing, or I thought.
Speaker 1: You were gonna say the opposite. One of the reasons why we're here is.
Speaker 2: Because I'm saying why it took us so long? Yeah, yep, because I thought I was supposed to get married and have kids. You know, me today, I would have had a lot more put a lot more thought into what I wanted versus what I was everybody else in my life wanted for me.
Speaker 1: Yeah, or like defining what your body is supposed to be, or your makeup or your hair cut. You know, I mean there's a million reasons people cut their hair.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Well, and that was another thing my mom said when I came out was don't cut your hair.
Speaker 1: Shut your hair. Yeah, that must have been so like ingrained.
Speaker 2: It wasn't even like on my radar to cut my hair.
Speaker 1: You know she was already thinking about it. Yeah, what does your mom say about my hair? Because she's so lovely to me, I want to go up to her and be like, say it to my face.
Speaker 2: Say it to my face. She would probably still say that your hair is like still feminine. I feel like.
Speaker 1: She's so loving to me when I have had like experiences with her, But now that I know she hates my hair.
Speaker 2: No, my mom is I will say that my mom is very sweet, very loving. She's very supportive. So I don't want to sit here and like dog on my mom. She's shocked me with how supportive she's been. And she and my dad have met a few people that I've dated, and they have been lovely to every single one in a way that I never would have expected. But I think they are a little bit like oh a girly one.
Speaker 1: Great girly one. Check. I was at a birthday party a couple of weeks ago in Florida with my mom and dad, with my very conservative family at large, and I thought one of the ways that they like are accepting. Is one of my cousin cousins, boy cousins, conservative boy cousins, came up to me and he's like, my wife cannot stop looking at her hair. She said, it's like inspiring her to cut her hair. And it's like, I think that was his way of saying, like, we don't care that you're I don't know, like I felt more it was not even about the hair anymore. It was more like, I don't know, you look good with short hair, and my wife now wants to cut her hair. Yeah, like he's being accepting. I guess that's what I'm saying. I looked very gay at this party.
Speaker 2: Well, and it is like, what makes short hair gay?
Speaker 1: Yeah you decided that.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Like I just like with the actress that came to mind as Leslie Bibb, like she has pretty short hair, you know, and she felt super feminine. Yeah. I watched Steele Magnolia's Last Week. Julie Roberts in the movie cuts her hair really short, she still looks very feminine. Yeah. So I think a lot of it isn't just the short hair. It's the the how you dress and how you carry yourself. You know. Yeah, I spend a lot less time thinking about my mannerisms. You know, I used to think about that all the time, Like how am I sitting? How am I walking? I mean, like I said in high school, my theater teacher said, I walked like John Wayne.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, Like what a compliment?
Speaker 2: Now, what a compliment for a seventeen year old girl to hear in front of the entire class? What brutal?
Speaker 1: Who says to a girl? I don't know, Yeah, I think I think that part's interesting of like what the people around us, and I think what she's expressing is not only are you, like to your point, going through this huge process on your own? Now I got to worry about what my sister thinks or my friends think about this. Butch, chick, I'm showing up with.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I like, But also how much of that do they actually care about? Are we? Is this our perception of their thoughts? Is it our own internalized shit? Like? What is actually factual in this equation?
Speaker 1: Well, some of it is because your mom said, only the pretty ones people's kids have expressed. Why do you have to pick somebody? But I guess too, It's like we all have it took me a minute to figure out what my taste is. Yeah, like I didn't know when I first came out. I think, I, well, my catalyst was pretty masked, wouldn't you say? Yeah? And then I thought I would like them. Then I thought I've kind of morphed through the years to get to where I am now. And now I would say I'm pretty attracted to feminine women.
Speaker 2: And like I mean, I would say I've been about like mostly fem kind of somewhat on the mass side with one person I dated a few years ago. And it is interesting, It's like what actually matters to you? Is it like is it really in a relationship and a long term thing? Is it really like how someone looks on a surface level or or is it who they are as a human being that like you need to pay closer attention to. And I don't know. I think maybe there's part of me that's been more attracted to the fem women because that's what it's like. Okay, I've already blown up everything in my life and like I'm lucky that my parents have been so supportive, Like I better do this like one little thing to make sure that like that support remains but at the same time, I'm like, one of the reasons why I didn't think I was gay is because I wasn't attracted to those mask women, like the real butch lesbians. And I mean always thought that that was like the dynamic every time was like there was a butcher and there was a femme, and I was like, well, in that scenario, I'm the fem and I'm not attracted to butch women, So not gay.
Speaker 1: See I look at the opposite, You're attracted to women women, I mention gay, But you tell yourself whatever restrained no.
Speaker 2: No no, And it's.
Speaker 1: Like, yeah, to your is it like you and feel like you're supposed to like this certain thing now like let's say, like you said, you're still kind of following that heteronormative thing where you're going to be now like the mask one and then you're going to pick somebody them Or is is it that you really are attracted to them or is it like something about you internally that like feels good.
Speaker 2: People pleasing? Yeah, Like I know, we've talked about that a lot. I feel like a lot of people who came out later are just natural people pleasers, And part of that is you know to like we said, follow the norm, do the thing, marry the man because it makes everybody else around you happy. And I think maybe that's part of it, like to kind of take that notion and like this person saying like kind of being surprised, like she is attracted to this mask woman. Yeah, it's the perception of everybody else around her that she needs to let go. And that's hard.
Speaker 1: I know, I think what I am attracted to. I always go back to that in my mind, that forty year conversation like litmus test of like is this somebody that I want to have a forty year conversation? Is this somebody that I want to watch TV quietly with and then wake up and have coffee with? Or is this somebody that within a couple hours I'm ready to go to bed because I'm tired of entertaining or feeling like I have to like put in a little effort. It's not just like an effortless forty year conversation, because that is what marriage is. At the end of the day, I'm picking you to talk to for the next forty years of my life, day in and day out. When shit hits the fan, when stuff is rough, you are going to be the support in the storm for me? And is that? Are you the person I want there?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Or do you feel unsafe in some way for me that you're probably not the best port for me to grab onto and not have anything to do with fem or mask.
Speaker 2: No exactly, Yeah, not a thing. And you know, in those final years, we're all gonna be wearing like sweatpants and oversize.
Speaker 1: It's ready, I'm already doing that, so right there, you have it pants right now.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: But I think even beyond that ten years from now, it's like I look at some couples I'll be out at dinner and I'm thinking I would literally rather I can't sit here. I could not be with them for ten years. I would be ready to like pull my hair out, like I don't so to think forty years that I'm still going to be talking to you about the grass or about the dog, or about have we eaten enough vegetables today? Are you the person that I want to have that conversation with, because that is what it is, that's all. Yeah, And a lot of people just pick on things that It's like, I don't know a lot of my straight friends pick men that I'm like, is that your port in the storm?
Speaker 2: Good?
Speaker 1: Fuck luck?
Speaker 2: That is interesting, Like I do feel like in the straight relationships there are a lot of like people. I'm like, this man provides zero substance, like in a conversation, right, and you're in.
Speaker 1: It and women too, But I'm just using that as an example, right, And when you think about like the man is there to like, let's say you pick a man because you're like, well, what he's adding is like he's protection for me or he's it's like, we don't live in the ice ages where I've got a saber toothed tiger coming after me, and I need this big man, Like I don't know, Like that's not a good enough reason. Yeah, but now you got to bring something else because that's not gonna that's not enough anymore. Now I need a forty year conversation. Can you do that? Can you do that? Well? Because that's what I really need.
Speaker 2: M M for sure, because yeah, those final years it's most likely just going to be you two yeah at the end and.
Speaker 1: With your children, and it's like, is this somebody who's going to be a good example for them, a good partner that's going to show them what it looks like to be a partner.
Speaker 2: And that doesn't matter your kids.
Speaker 1: Likes your kids, wants your kids, is rooting for your kids? I think that's a whole nother section of it. It's like, and again, it doesn't matter whether you're fem or mask. You need somebody that's like investing in them because they are. You know, if there's three of them and one of me that make up the pie, they're seventy five percent of it. So are you down for seventy five percent of my pie is rooting for these three?
Speaker 2: Yeah? I also have to wonder too, because it feels like it feels like there's more masculine leaning lesbians, you know, I know.
Speaker 1: And here, but mass shortage used to be a thing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't believe that. Okay, I think it's more it's just harder to find pick out the femmes. But I think these hyper hyper feminine women are few and far between. Like even even the most fem women that I've dated have a little bit of like masculine energy to them, right, you know. And that's the other thing too. I'm like, I think ultimately I'm just attracted to someone who's really confident in themselves.
Speaker 1: Totally, Like I love that so too.
Speaker 2: But it's kind of like if if you're dating and you're focusing on only landing this hyperfem women and you're not having success, like open your eyes a little bit, like why are you focused on that feminine woman? Like why why does that have to be your partner? Like why can't you lean a little bit more down the spectrum?
Speaker 1: Or do you? Is it interesting too that the hyperfem women tend to want mask women some.
Speaker 2: Of them think of them and women.
Speaker 1: Some but I don't see that that often think about it in our whole friend group, I can think of one couple that's that. Yeah, the rest of them are not the fem ultra femme women that I know. Their partners are masks. Yeah, more mask than men. So that's who they're picking. Yeah, it's just it's interesting, I guess to say the least. Let me ask you something really funny that just happened to me literally within the last twenty four hours.
Speaker 2: Okay, you know we talk.
Speaker 1: About like the power dynamic and a kiss, like there's somebody who has the power and that they're on the outside more than the inside. You and I have talked about this.
Speaker 2: Yes, do you know what I'm talking about?
Speaker 1: Are you just again with me?
Speaker 2: Okay, no, I do.
Speaker 1: I've never had someone challenge me on this, but I have somebody challenging me on this in the act in the act, like and they know it's a thing for me. So now it's like become a thing where I'm like, I see what you're doing and I'd like for you to stop.
Speaker 2: Because you can't handle it.
Speaker 1: And I don't know other people know this, Like she acted like she'd never heard of this in her whole.
Speaker 2: Life, that there's a power dynamic.
Speaker 1: Yeah, huh, there's one person.
Speaker 2: Think there is every time, though, Okay, Like I can't say that I've noticed it with everyone. I feel like sometimes it's pretty mutual.
Speaker 1: Well it can be mutual, but there typically is one person who's kind of outside versus.
Speaker 2: Inside running the show, not running the.
Speaker 1: Show even, but just more bigger on the kiss, like outside versus inside. It's the only way I can now when it happens, I'm like, I see what you're doing.
Speaker 2: I don't know, Like, but I have been kissing someone and been like, hold on, hold on, we need to readjust here, dig in this. I know we can fix this.
Speaker 1: I know we can fix this. Have you said that?
Speaker 2: Yes? O, maybe that's why I'm single. I don't know. I know that I like to actually kiss, like deep, passionate kisses, not slow or fast princess kisses.
Speaker 1: Okay, like slow, Okay. I feel like I got a little niggative feedback on my softness that I needed to. But I don't kiss soft. I just when you're first kissing someone, you're not like going in hard. You like are kind of gentle at the beginning, right am? I? Right?
Speaker 2: Yeah? But I'm talking like the princess kiss where it's like there's no tongue. It's just like a little like boring. I'm like, this is how they kiss in a Disney cartoon.
Speaker 1: Okay, so then what do you do just like push your tongue in.
Speaker 2: No, I say to them, stop kissing me like a Disney princess. We really, I mean maybe not that a gross.
Speaker 1: And then once you say it, what do they say?
Speaker 2: I've had women tell me that it was because like that's kind of how they're used to kissing, like from It's honestly like one of those things where from dating or being with men, it's like they've held back so much in those situations like that they're not quite comfortable with it. I shouldn't say comfortable, not used to it. I guess, like so it's kind of like open up, be more passionate, Like it's not a gross man.
Speaker 1: It's not a gross man. That's the title of our show. Yeah, but I guess when you're first learning someone, there's so much new there. Like I think that's it takes a minute.
Speaker 2: That's probably the bigger thing that I like take away that I'm trying to convey right now. It's not necessarily man, but that is a lot of the case where I don't know. I was kind of the same way. It's because like you're kissing and you're like, well, I don't want this to go further, and maybe you get a little like used to that, you know.
Speaker 1: Okay, I see, Yeah, kind of like what we talk about with sex, like you're so programmed to shut it down in your mind. Yeah that it's like once you start sleeping with women, your breaks are.
Speaker 2: Up, right, I mean you've talked about that. It's kind of like you have to get like really out of your head.
Speaker 1: Out of your head present totally.
Speaker 2: And yeah, we've spent a lot of time trying to like not enjoy those experiences.
Speaker 1: I know, and you're like wwitch gears.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and a lot of the time too, these princess kiss situations that I'm talking about that happened, and this is not just with one person, Okay, I want to say that, but it's she.
Speaker 1: Has a big set of what do you call it, your data pool is big?
Speaker 2: I know, right, test this theory. But I feel like it's often in like a public setting too, So it's like there's another level of like maybe discomfort happening.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So not that I'm just like making out in these streets, but you.
Speaker 1: Make it out in the streets.
Speaker 2: I have, I've been honked at.
Speaker 1: But you do know what I'm talking about with the kiss, the power the power dynamic, yes, yeah, yeah, Hm, it's kind of like the handshake when you come in from up top you're in charge.
Speaker 2: Oh my god.
Speaker 1: So it's the kiss is the same thing. And so it's like, I don't know, like when.
Speaker 2: There is I feel like I'm being man hating this episode. I'm not. I'm inner great.
Speaker 1: But there's men are great. But but.
Speaker 2: There's a friend that I know, and every time he sees me. He shakes my hand and does look and like we do this horror little hand handshake?
Speaker 1: What is going on? Man?
Speaker 2: I do the same.
Speaker 1: I'm telling you, guys.
Speaker 2: Are like I'm meeting him. No, I mean I'm not shaking like two right hands or two right hand left hand. Like it's a handshake, but it's like it reminds me of like what I was told to do in a job interview. You know, good firm handshake, but it's like a handshake off. You know who's gonna win.
Speaker 1: That's how I feel about the kiss. Yeah, he's gonna win. Who's gonna win?
Speaker 2: I feel like I'm winning every time with a handshake. With the kiss, not so much.
Speaker 1: Have you kissed people that they are either challenging you or they are obviously the ones that are on the outside and you need to just know your.
Speaker 2: Place on the end makes it both Yeah, okay.
Speaker 1: Thank you.
Speaker 2: You don't need to have your tongue down my throat. It's perfectly okay. Back there.
Speaker 1: On that note, I think this is a solid place to wrap.
Speaker 2: We're just gonna go.
Speaker 1: The main topic is that feeling not self conscious, because I do remember even in group, one of the women in group's daughter was like, please don't be gay, and then if you're gonna be gay, please don't date somebody's super masculine. Yeah, and so I mean there must be something to that. She was in group saying.
Speaker 2: Okay, I know I should have thought of this earlier, but I'm thinking of this now. But I actually had this thought when I was vacationing with my kids recently, and I felt like, Okay, I'm out here, I'm presenting. It's pretty masculine, and you know, we're at the beach, so it feels a little bit more obvious when I'm like wearing long shorts and sports bra or whatever. And I asked my kids. I was like, does it bother you that I don't dress like every other mom? And they were like, no, doesn't bother Like we like the way you dress.
Speaker 1: Really. Yeah, okay, so that's good news.
Speaker 2: Like that felt good to hear because I was kind of like my own internalized shit was happening that week of being like I don't look like all the other moms, and I know I'm getting like some second glances and stuff like that, but they were just like, we don't care, and.
Speaker 1: Like, Okay, that's amazing. Especially where you live at their age. It's like everything that could possibly be stigmatized, right, and they don't care.
Speaker 2: Exactly.
Speaker 1: The only time I ever felt slightly we had a Lesbian Chronicles hat sitting in the window of my car. It was just like I'd taken it off and thrown it up there as I do. And I could tell. Reid was like, seriously, like, do you have to drive around the LC like promo?
Speaker 2: I mean, I think sometimes you got to put it out there everybody.
Speaker 1: No, it wasn't on purpose, but I thought, do you care, dude? Really?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: That is your friends.
Speaker 2: No, I'm gay, Like yeah, but that was like a bridge too far.
Speaker 1: It was too far, too far, too far anyway, all right, my friend, all right, enjoy your fourth same, I'll see you next week. Bye bye bye.
Speaker 2: Want to support the Lesbian Chronicles podcast, Rate us and write a review on Apple Podcasts or Spotify.
Speaker 1: We'd love listener feedback. If you'd like to share your story, email us at Melissa and Ali at gmail dot com. That's Melissa M. E. L I s A and Ali A. L. L I at gmail dot com. Or follow us on Instagram at Lesbian Chronicles