Speaker 1: Expected to be the number two and he was traded for a twenty twenty six third round pick and a twenty twenty seven fifth round pick.
Speaker 2: Yep, So so we know this. We talk about this a lot, at least before when with Jay Why uh the divas in football or the wide receivers, right, their de was what were they in baseball? Outfielders probably not the pit centerfielders yeah, probably yep, the pictures. No, now maybe maybe closers to some degree, but yeah maybe closers, yeah yeah, center fielders.
Speaker 3: But your pain a paying that? Yeah? Can we can we talk about George pickenstill? I mean, because we're learning about it off air.
Speaker 1: Yea.
Speaker 3: It is also really wild to me in football the trades, Right, you're trading an all Pro caliber wide receiver in the prime of his career for a third round and a fifth round. So you assessment what was your assessment? I just I mean, I my thought process is that you're having Is that equal? Is that true? Equal value for that player?
Speaker 2: Well? The things I thought you said that there must be some issues.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, there's got to be clubhouse issues, right, there has to be clubhouse issues.
Speaker 2: In my mind, Peop wouldn't do that.
Speaker 4: No.
Speaker 3: I mean where he's at, his capabilities, what he's you know, his age to kind of give up on him, there's gotta be there's gonna be a bigger issue and it's perfect for the Cowboys.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah. And I think another thing too, is like receivers just come in so ready, like Jamar Chase's year ago. Crazy. Yeah, like you just see it every year, like there's going to be a breakout receiver. Last year it was Malik Neighbors obviously this year teammate. I mean for us, we hope so right, Yeah, absolutely a little bit of bias in there, but yeah, we'll keep it going. Now. Brendan summer Hill came back to the lineup. But Arizona loss yesterday two to five against GCU are five to two.
Speaker 3: They have their number. They just have their number. Yeah, it's just a bad matchup for the events. You wouldn't think you have all those teams that are like that. You always have an opponent that you're like, no, I don't want to play that guy. That's yeah. Is it more more emotional than it is physically? Probably because you think you're better than that. I think, yeah, maybe to agree. I think if they just I think GCU plays at a higher level when they play u A.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well obviously I think they have the series right the last few years.
Speaker 1: Yeah, absolutely, and they just they took it yesterday. Yesterday would have been like the rubber match for like the season overall series. So yeah, they I don't number the last couple of years.
Speaker 3: I mean they're legit. Just use legit. Yeah, like they're amid major in baseball, Sure they are. With everything else essentially baseball, they're at an elite level. They were in the tournament, that's true. Yeah, and when their capabilities of recruitment and how high they recruit kids, they've done a good jomb.
Speaker 2: Good coaching staff were there.
Speaker 1: You have to take advantage of times that they can show out against us, for sure. Yeah. Keep it. Moving on to Sophtmare now Big twelve Player of the Year Devin Nance.
Speaker 2: What what what? What? Really?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 3: That's amazing. Yeah, holy cow, that is breaking new. It's a great job.
Speaker 5: Right.
Speaker 2: We talked about her yesterday. We had the one of the softball assistance uh on the team. There hasn't been a player like her in a while here.
Speaker 3: No, this is this team's kind of this team special. I think I think it's they've got some depth to it. They've got some pitching, and she's part of the big part of it. Oh yeah, huge part of it. It's great to see you be playing at the caliber they're playing. Yeah, I don't know. If anybody beats Tennessee, you can get there. Oh yeah, but they're not that level. But I'm they're not not at that. I mean, they're close to that level. It just depends. Sorry, you don't think so, we have no time to argue today, Okay, move on.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 1: And like it was talked about earlier, they will face the winner of the seventh seed and ten seed, which is UCF and Utah tomorrow at three.
Speaker 2: They just kind of lay an egg in this tournament. You know, they have to do as much as they can to continue to host a host the regional right next is it next week? Yeah? Next week?
Speaker 3: What's your what's your thought process on baseball and softball tournaments? Like, uh, yeah, well you think it's worth it?
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah, I know it's yeah, it's I know it's all new. Yeah. Why not to do it in basketball? Yeah? Just my thought process? Yeah, yeah, obviously I'm to do it. I'm sure because more money if possible. I don't know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I feel like it kind of plays into like that like old travel ball kind of thing too. So if you're like following college I mean I assume if you if you follow college baseball and softball, it's like you're really you're really deep into like.
Speaker 2: Just the sport in general. So it's like it probably let me ask you, I was gonna ask. I've read this too, because one of the big questions for the minor sports, and I use that word in quotation, uh, the travel here and there and all that stuff where they have to go to these places, especially in the Big twelve, we're not really in the region and studying and things like that. Did you have to do did you go far when you're in college?
Speaker 6: Now?
Speaker 3: I mean we went to like Western Oregon and Central Missouri and stuff. But it was it wasn't bad. I think that's overstated. I mean we weren't jumping Like it would be difficult to go play Rutgers right from UCLA, but you're from a baseball standpoint, you're probably there for five days, so it's a little bit easier to acclimate.
Speaker 1: All right, Yeah, we'll keep it moving. Men's tennis is going to be facing Virginia on Saturday. What did they have the seeds the ten seed and Virginia is the seven and it's gonna a chance sweet sixteen round after winning their super regional against Denver and Harvard.
Speaker 7: This is where they've failed in the last two three years from the sweet sixties. Yeah, so you know, look forward to that on the weekend. See how that goes. The women's side lost to Illinois.
Speaker 8: Yeah, we talked about that yesterday, right, and then you talk about golf. No women's Yeah, women's golf. They lost at the Lubbock Regional. There were two spots out of qualifying qualifying for the.
Speaker 2: Oh wow, yeah, I didn't see that. She had a great year or two.
Speaker 1: Yeah, just two over par, which is, you know, a lot better than a lot of golfers would do. I'm assuming, at least in this room.
Speaker 3: Maybe we'll see oh Man Blake, No, I'm not nearly that caliber.
Speaker 1: All right, Yeah, getting into the Association. Though Steph supposed to miss at least a week with a level one hamstring strain, Warriors were still able to pull that one out yesterday ninety nine to eighty eight.
Speaker 2: Let me ask you your forty twoish. What age did you finish play?
Speaker 3: Oh, just I've like giving up on life.
Speaker 2: You're here now. So nine was my last year? You were twenty something? Yeah? Do you do the math? You're asking these questions? Well, okay, well now you ask me, I'm asking you the answer. I don't want to do the math. Okay, So so do you know do you feel that people well in the professional world. No, And I'm not saying Steph just shut it down because he doesn't need to. He can go another twenty years in my mind, but when they have a hard time saying I gotta go, it's my time.
Speaker 3: I think I think the question has to be asked. Are you still capable of playing at a higher level?
Speaker 2: Right? I mean are you contributing? Are you winning? I think Steph checks all those boxes. Oh yeah, thirty seven?
Speaker 3: Yeah, No, not specific to him, but just so, for instance, I was watching the Cubs game yesterday and you've got Justin Verlander. He's forty two pitching, right. I think there has to be an honest conversation at some point. Max Sure's are the same thing because he's still I mean, he's middle of the road, He's going to be there. I think he's probably their number three, number four guy for a good team. They're a good team. But yeah, I think it's probably really difficult to say this.
Speaker 2: Is it because of the money or because of the it's all you know, it's all you know.
Speaker 3: You're a ballplayer, whether you're a basketball player, whether you're a football player with your golfer, whether you're a baseball play, it doesn't mean your ball player goodbyes.
Speaker 2: That's what you know.
Speaker 3: That's what you've been taught all your life to try to do and accomplished it, and it's what you wake up every day.
Speaker 2: It's a routine, like what are you gonna?
Speaker 3: It's easy from our outside looking and going they've made one hundred and fifty million to seven hundred million, why are they playing the sport anymore? And you're going because what do you do every day? If you don't go to work? I would just stay home. You would stay home and do nothing for like a week, maybe two weeks, and you'd be like, I gotta do something.
Speaker 2: Yeah. The thing is you'd be needed or wanted and other things that you have a name. But I totally get That's when I asked the question. At some point, there's an endgame. Yeah, that's that's kind of Do you think that some of them, most of them are many of them do have an endgame? I think so.
Speaker 3: I think if you've got a strong family connection, you've got kids, you sit down with a family and you say, like, this is what I'm expecting. This is our expectations, because that family has to do the same. You forget, kids have to move from schools. Yeah, you know, you get uprooted in these communities. I mean, obviously it's worth it financially, but sometimes it's not your lower level guy. You can't just constantly do that over and over. Sure, sure, keep it going.
Speaker 1: Pacers stolen at almost the buzzer yesterday, Tyresee hit a step back three to take the lead against.
Speaker 2: The less than a minute.
Speaker 1: Right, Yeah, yeah, yeah, I really stole that one. I mean, it's just been happening this the last two days.
Speaker 2: One of the games already on now.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the Celtics and uh, the Knicks just started, So that's gonna be one to keep an eye on.
Speaker 9: Nick's having an early lead three to two, and Knick's got it. They played in Brooklyn. Yeah, well done.
Speaker 2: All these guys have learned though, snatch the bubble from my head.
Speaker 1: It's all right. You know he teaches everything that he teaches everything that we know, not everything that you know. Yeah, that's the secret. Moving on to baseball, Diamondbacks lost today to the Mets.
Speaker 2: Oh, the game has already done. Yeah, I didn't see my fantasy there. You know, he's gonna hurt me. So he's gonna hurt me. You do it daily. Yeah, it's a pain in the butte if you guys are done fantasy baseball.
Speaker 10: One of my friends has told me wild, I don't understand how a picture you can struggle to get four strikeouts. I thought, again, I don't watch baseball, but I thought like striking out someone was like a main thing you're supposed to do.
Speaker 2: Well someone and he's struggling to get three pictures. I just on baseball. Yeah, we can't be in the same room together. How are you struggling?
Speaker 1: I don't.
Speaker 3: It is funny listening to people that don't watch baseball to say that, because it would make sense. You're like, yeah, that's an easy bet, Like how do you not do that? And then you're like, oh, it's the it's the hardest thing in the world to do.
Speaker 2: So hitting the golf ball.
Speaker 3: Yeah, diamonbacks good West, right, you got San Francisco, You've got l A, You've got San Diego. I think they're fourth right now, but they're still game five games ye, five hundred. No, they're only one game nineteen.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: So I've been watching the Padres watch the Giants last night, like that's a tough division a bush.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean Giants fan like watched the series against the Clubs. It was a good series even tho. Yeah, but like watching them play the Padres, it was it was rough because it's just like Padres are just breaking on them.
Speaker 3: Padres are at a different level this year. Yeah, I mean they're bullpens arguably. I mean you guys and the Giants and the Padres arguably have the best bullpen in baseball.
Speaker 1: I think they're one and two.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And but the Padres lineup is like Merril's going to be a superstar, right, Machado's still good, right, and you've got to tease in the prime of his if like that guy stays healthy.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: The Giants always amaze me because we were talking about Steelers, like maybe a similar comparison between this Steelers in football and the Giants in baseball, like not a lot of superstar power with the Giants, good across the board, right, and but they're not in a position that they're going to win a World Series anytime soon. Yeah, I mean the good starting staff, but not great you know, So, like, what do you do if you're the Giants? Like good coach, but that division you're not going to compete money wise with the Dodgers? Right, The Padres have guys signed for long term, so they're gonna be good for at least another two years. So do you go you're trying to make a splash with it going all in on guys that though Tani thing fell through.
Speaker 2: I've asked this question too many people that on the show, the difference between coaching and good coaching and managing the right How much of a big difference does it make.
Speaker 3: That I think managing your bullpen situation means a lot like knowing how to rest guys, how to pitch guys, how to put up matchups, makes a lot of sense, and it's really hard to do.
Speaker 2: It takes a long time to understand. So the question with Roberts from the Dodgers, right, Dodgers guy, he was not they wanted him fire a few years ago. I mean, who want him front the front office of the fans? The fans because you know, he had the sound, couldn't do it, and now he has a lot more talent.
Speaker 3: Good manager is he? I think he's a good manager in the sense that he can manage uh superstars, and that's that's a lot you're talking about. I mean, Phil Jackson was a great exs nose, but he was also great at managing and more.
Speaker 2: Than half the battle. I think that's absolutely occurs the same way. Yeah, the same way. Yeah, because he's the one. He's a people person and you never did a hot chick. It's tough. It's tough because you have to make him happy. You have to make them happy, and not just one, two, three, it's four or five of them. Imagine having a Draymond on your team and what mood are you going to get him in one day at the next.
Speaker 3: So we make here a reference to Draymond and Draymond and uh a hot chick.
Speaker 2: No, the group of them because you have staff. Yeah, it's hard. That's why I wanted moving to Kentucky, you know. Yeah, but you know what I'm saying, there's one ball and you have to make you don't have to make everybody happy, but you hope that they understand the role.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you you hope that your veterans on the team control the clubhouse to the degree that you want them to write in set of precedents. But so, how many years were you in the league or whatever league you want to say?
Speaker 2: Six? How many? How many of those six league six years did they did the clubhouse not get controlled? One? So five and one? Yeah?
Speaker 3: And how was that one we didn't? That's the only time I've never made the playoffs in my career. Yeah, yeah, best fights, pitchers calling off infielders for making errors after a game like it was wild?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I was like, where am i? And why am I here? Was that your last year? No? No, no, it was my second year. We're good.
Speaker 1: That mean just Denver and Oklahoma City after that? And then Haun's got something.
Speaker 11: I don't think you'll care about this, but uh, you know the Utah Hockey Club they officially have a name, and what is it, the Utah Mammoth.
Speaker 2: Yep, really, yeah, mammoth, not Mammoth's mammoth, just one like the Stafford Cardinal. Yeah, okay, I have issue with that. I'm probably gonna like this team, but Memith, Yeah, you get your logo in now singular Sorry, franchise, where do you get the players from? They bought the franchise from.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so they had the players that came over from Arizona Arizona Coyotes and their Triple A team is Tucson.
Speaker 2: So yeaheah, Okay, we gotta go. We're gonna get ahold of Red and Chappelle.
Speaker 4: Now your chance to win one thousand dollars in bonus box just after this nationwide keyword on our website.
Speaker 2: Great great, that's great.
Speaker 4: Enter it now Fox Sports fourteen fifty dot com.
Speaker 12: Are you ready ready to discover your soul, your wild side, your passion, your joy and excitement. From the latest slots and table games, to award winning dining to world class entertainment to a luxurious resort.
Speaker 2: Discover all this and more.
Speaker 12: Discover with so Casino del Soul the Soul of Tucson.
Speaker 2: Are you ready enterprise.
Speaker 13: So Fasco Yuki Try The window Depot has everything you need to create the kitchen or bathroom of your dreams. Frowsyisles of instock cabinets available in a variety of sizes and configurations and instantly elevate your space. Today, visit a showroom and let our experts guide you. Whether you're choosing for Monday to Go designs or creating a custom masterpiece.
Speaker 2: We can help you select the.
Speaker 13: Perfect wood, type, color and style and top it off with unique hardware to complete your look. Find a location near you at the window deepot dot com. The window Depot more than a windows store.
Speaker 2: Steve Rivera here to talk about Dorato Rock Materials. I needed a lot of gravel for my driveway, so I called Eric at Dorato Rock. He found out the amount and color I needed and boom, it was taken care of and at a great price. How do I know radio commercials work. I heard one of his on the radio. Dorato Rock and Materials provides a wide range of landscaping materials, including decorative rock, boulders, gravel, soil, and sand for residential and commercial use from the Tucson area. They are locally owned and have been around for more than fifteen years. Give them a call at five two zero or zero zero for two three three.
Speaker 14: Spring is in the air and the school year is coming to a close. Time to order your academic and spring sports awards for your student athlete. Creative Awards with fifty two years as your top awards and promotional product supplier. Give them an award they can be proud of. They have trophies, plax acrylics, art class fine crystal, metal, name badges, stock and custom awards. Come visit the Creative Awards Idea Center at two twenty eight West TrackMan Street, across the street from PEMA College Downtown campus, or visit them online at Creative Awards az dot com.
Speaker 15: At Nova home Loans, we believe everyone deserves the opportunity to enjoy the independence that comes with home ownership. Paul Volpi is ready to help you find an option that best fits your needs. Whether you're a first time or veteran home buyer or want to get cash out with the refinance. Nova has a variety of home loan programs to meet your unique situation. Visit voltpeteam dot com, that's volpe team dot com or called five to oh six eight five six two six Today in MLS three H eight seven Arizona b K nine two nine four two Equal Housing Opportunity got a commitment to Lyndrix syn Credit rates and available loan programs of subject to change the undice.
Speaker 16: Did you know collecting sports cards is one of the fastest growing hobbies around. Whether you're looking to start or expand your collection, Showtime Cards is your ultimate destination. As one of the leading card shops in the country, we've been serving our community for over twenty five years with the best in sports cards.
Speaker 2: And trading card games.
Speaker 16: From rare fines to the latest releases, Showtime Cards has it all. Check them out at showtimecards dot Com or visit them on East Speedway and discover why collectors everywhere truyh Showtime Cards for their passion.
Speaker 14: Richard bacall Law Office, defending Arizonas for over thirty years and a Wildcat fan for over sixty. If you need an experienced criminal defense attorney, call Richard McCall five to two oh seven to four to ROH twelve thirteen, broad sponsor of I on the Ball.
Speaker 6: Go cats, got bugs, termites, bees, or rodents, Arizona Pest Control will hunt them down. Arizona Pest Control is your complete desert pest management specialist that's can't run or hide from Arizona Pest Control. They use only the latest and most technologically advanced methods of pest elimination available, which minimizes the effects on the environment. Let Arizona Pest Control get rid of your bad bugs, termites, bes or rodents serving Tucson in southern Arizona since nineteen forty seven. Go to azypest dot com to schedule your free evaluation today.
Speaker 1: Why is mining so important.
Speaker 17: It's the foundation of everything, that defines the society. Everything you see is a product of mine, no matter when, no matter how, no matter why. Every society on this planet has developed, grown and modernized based solely on the minerals infer process. That's fidlining is so important.
Speaker 2: God to bybm dot com.
Speaker 13: Looking for quality windows without the weight, Come to the Window Depot. We carry a huge selection of milguard windows and stock now and for pickup. Need something custom no problem, From new construction to full home replacement. We'll help you order the perfect mill guard windows built to fit your space, style and budget. Whether you're a homeowner or contractor, the Window Depot makes it easy to get the windows you need fast. Visit the window deepot dot com to find a location near you and see why we're your mill guard window.
Speaker 4: Experts breaking down all the apsys A ohs. This is I on the Ball with Steve Rivera on Box Sports fourteen fifty eight.
Speaker 2: Hey, welcome back to my I on the Ball here on Fox Sports fourteen fifty I'm Steve Rivera in today with me is mister Blake Eager. We have to ray with us.
Speaker 1: We got one.
Speaker 2: You got Matt. Now I want to photio Brandon Chappelle. Then you you have a men's basketball assistant coach, Brandon. How are you?
Speaker 5: Yes, sir, how you doing?
Speaker 2: We're doing well, We're doing well. Welcome back to Arizona, man.
Speaker 5: You know what it feels good to be back. And I'll tell you what two star weathers like this. Man, I'm you know, I've I've realized it has a lot of summer flag stats field right now, the winds blowing. It's a nice little overcast.
Speaker 2: Yes, I'm not mad at it. None of us are. Who are you know? And you know how it is in July and June. But you know you come to the right place. Let's get some history here. You were at NAU with Murph for a while, then you were at Texas and maybe another place or two. How does it feel wearing that that blockade T shirt.
Speaker 5: And I'll be honest, it feels good, you know, from a number one from just a basketball fan perspective, you know, growing up, man, I you know this was point guard you for me, and I try to play that position. So you know, when I think of Arizona, you know, I think about all the great point guards has come through here, and you know, I like to close my eyes a little bit and imagine, you know, maybe me dribbling.
Speaker 2: Up the ball and Michil how old are you real quick? I'm forty one, forty one? So that would have been the Gilbert Arenas Jason Gardner kind of in that era, right two thousand correct, Yeah, yep?
Speaker 5: And and Secure and Juwan and those guys. That was my class coming out.
Speaker 2: Yeah with with Selim a little yeah Channing yep, yep, yeah. Okay. How would you fit into that group? That was a heck of a good group.
Speaker 5: Oh man, I just would have dove on the floor for loose balls and kicked the ball in hand to the real scores.
Speaker 2: Nice. Nice? What do you uh? How are you gonna have an impact? What are you gonna work with? And who are you gonna work with?
Speaker 5: You know what the best thing about coming here and joining his staff is the fact that I get a chance to touch multiple things. You know, as far as you know, working with all groups on the court, you know, obviously recruiting, game planning, scouting, you know, Coach Lloyd and the rest of the staff man. You know, you can feel it. You know, as soon as I got here, I can feel the camaraderie. I could feel the connection and uh man, you know, honestly, I'm excited to touch all areas.
Speaker 3: Hey, coach, I just wanted to say congratulations. Were super excited, so happy that you're here. Can you share with us kind of the start to finish process of how this started in your mind of making a change or potentially coming to u of a how you got here, how you guys executed the contract when it was announced and then or is that too much?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 2: No, no, that's fine. But if you could even start a little further, how did you how did Murphy find you? Or how did you find that's earlier point.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you know what it was, you know, to make it sound story book, it was almost a needle in a haystack. I applied for his graduate with assistant position when I was leaving my first coaching job at Armstrong State in Savannah, Georgia, which is a Division two team, and you know, the application was out there for a while and then I get a random call and you know, I started the sets with them, so it's kind of like a cold call deal. And one of his assistants, Matt Dunn, started reaching out to me. Then obviously I had a chance to talk to Murphy and that's how it kind of started happening.
Speaker 8: Man.
Speaker 5: They just you know, what they were looking for is what I could provide at the time, which was you know, an older graduate assistant that that can you know, have a relationship with the guys also you know, grow, help recruit, and so yeah, it was kind of a blind deal. Man. We both kind of went into it not knowing much, not having many connections, and you know, boom, we're here now.
Speaker 2: Well to to I'll get to Blake's question real quick. But I mean you talked about that it's very rare to get a job with people not knowing who you are, because it's a it's a good boy kind of network.
Speaker 5: Absolutely absolutely, and you know what, you know, I'm still a big believer in you know things happen how they're supposed to. And I'm very safe driven, so sometimes things just happened. And that was one of those things early in my career, and you know it, I had to get an introduction with coach Lloyd here and and and and you know the rest is history.
Speaker 2: Go ahead, go ahead and ask if you can ask you a question again? They interrupted you. No, No, you're good. I think that.
Speaker 3: I mean, it's probably more important to know the relationship of how he got to NAU and how that career started. And then you went to how you, how does did this start for you? On for for you of a how do you how did you think about this? How did you know it was time to make a change, and were you prepared for that?
Speaker 1: Uh?
Speaker 5: Yeah, I was.
Speaker 2: It's funny.
Speaker 5: Before I got to Texas, I was at un LV with Kevin Krueger, who was also a staff with coach Murphy. Soh Murphy's been in in the middle of a lot of my decisions and this was no different.
Speaker 16: You know.
Speaker 5: At the end of the season here at Texas, you know, I always reached back out to to my head coaches that I've worked for and just kind of asked for advice, and Murphy was, you know, just giving me advice how to kind of.
Speaker 2: Move and then he kind of floated.
Speaker 5: The idea is potentially coming here, and you know, obviously I'll be excited for that. But then when I talked to coach Lloyd It, you know, everything changed, his energy, his his passion for not only the program but but filling this next spot. And you know I jumped on board. Really didn't hesitate much.
Speaker 2: So where did you grow Where'd you grow up in Texas?
Speaker 5: Yeah, so I'm I'm I'm a I'm a true Texas boy. Grew up outside of Houston, Texas well, and I was there, you know all through high school, played college ball. Then my first time leaving home was to go overseas and play in Germany. So you know, you know it was a great experience for me, you know, growing up.
Speaker 2: The recently asked that because the recently I asked this is because I've covered the team personally for thirty some years. I've written a few books on the program. Murphy was a kid when I was covering the team with under Loot. But you know what you sound like to me is Juwan mcleoughan. You have that Houston voice.
Speaker 5: Hey, yeah, we we have that little southern accent a little bit. You know, I can't hear it as often, but you know we we fully embrace it.
Speaker 2: Man.
Speaker 5: You know, we love we're from And I can see that matching up.
Speaker 2: I can see that, Yeah, you have a pig. He's a he's a cop now in Houston. Say it again, he's a police officer in Houston.
Speaker 5: Now I didn't know that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's been a long time, a long time cop. So so I'm curious. You've you've gone all these places, you know, V and A. U of course you knew the program. What what's the perception of the U A basketball program, maybe as recently as last few years.
Speaker 5: I mean, you know what the last few years. Obviously the you know, it's it's Arizona's Arizona where you know, people put that in the category outside perspective as a as a blue blood historic program and always looking to compete for a national championship obviously the last few years. And it's funny when when coach Lloyd got here, I just got to UNLV and we were just actually watching some old game film earlier on that first tournament they had at T Mobile. Well, I think they played Wichita State and Michigan And for me personally, that was the first time I had a chance to see like the sands in the backing of U of A. And it was pretty impressive to see, man, just the fans support and just you know, you could feel the energy of just you know, playing for something bigger.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that was the first time we got to see Lloyd on the big stage against that kind of competition because he destroyed Michigan too, and I think co Loco handled Hunter on that. I think Hunter scored like six points and he did.
Speaker 5: He did it right right, and we were we were in that same deal and we were just I remember talking O, you know, to our staff and it was like, man, you know Arizona travels, man, it means something, you know. It was it was pretty cool to see that up close.
Speaker 2: What your next project just needs to be this And I'm not sure if you heard this because I did this maybe two months ago when it happened. So Josh is now at UNLV a place that you've been to. Uh, Damon is at Georgia Tech. Uh, you know obviously out there. Uh, Bibby's at Sacramento State. And now everyone's here. We've got to have a fourteen game set of games in Vegas. I'll be down for that.
Speaker 5: Sounds good, man, All all legends and it goes back to that point guard. You man, those those are real guys right there.
Speaker 3: Right right, Brandon, what's your what now that you're here? You're you hit the ground running? What did you find a place to stay?
Speaker 2: Do you have? What's your average day look like now? Moving forward?
Speaker 5: You know what It's all about timing, And it's timing right now. The guys are finishing up school, you know. It's it's it's where I can kind of connect with the staff that's here right now, and you know, of course looking for a place to So I'm out here by myself right now, but but my wife and daughter would be coming shortly, and you know, it's I've had a chance to move to a couple of different places, so I'm confident I'll find the right area and you know, find the right house to live in. So that's that's really it. And then on a day to day basis, like kind of like I said, just get to know the staff, get to know the you know, the system, the city. You know, I'm driving around while I'm looking at houses, just kind of taking it all in. I didn't realize Tucson was this big. In my mind. It was just kind of a small college town. But it's it's it's growing and so far, so good. I really like it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I know very much. So right, Uh, I wanted to ask you and I just lost it. I lost it in terms of oh, working for Tommy, he's a kind of a chill dude, but a heck of a good coach, gets intense when he needs to be. But were your thoughts on him in your early meetings with him?
Speaker 5: Yeah? You know, first thing is how how smart and intelligent he is, know he he I think you can have a chill persona or vibe when when when you've done all up already a lot of the work and you thought things out. But but yeah, it's just like what you said, man, it's he's very wants me to me and my family to get comfortable, wants me to kind of just figure it out on my own a little bit. And and we're gonna have enough time for the for the ball and you know the plan going forward, taking that next step as a program, and you know, he's so he's so considered of me and my family, which is which is? You know, I truly appreciate because you know, if your your family is good and you're comfortable, you can do your job even better.
Speaker 2: I think he said that a few times. Where there's a time and the place when you coach, you you get intents when you're coaching, and then when you're done, you have the family to go to. Because he doesn't want to separate that.
Speaker 5: Right right, and you know it's on And I picked this up from him and obviously Coach Murphy too from talking to him over the years. When you do your work and you're prepared, you can you can balance both, you know, and so this you know it's this group. And as far as group, I meant staff, I can quickly see you know, they do their work to take care of their business and then you know they have time to balance it out.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you mentioned some stuff. Blake here is a long time basketball fan. Jan's an UA student who's covered basketball for followed basketball and I followed up for a long time. Could you give me a memory or two just from Afar what you remember most? Was it the kolid reeves Damon Stott of maer Time, Was it the bib Eat Simon, time, maybe Richard Jefferson and Gilbert.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 5: No, you know what, honestly, it is that ninety seventeen for for two reasons. I spent some time over the summers in San Diego when I was younger, and this was, you know, obviously after them coming off of national championship, and one of my cousins was a big u of a fan. And it's funny, man, I'm on my Twitter page. I you know, I had to change everything. You were excited to be here. But right now my profile picture is a is a picture of the phone posits that Mike Dibbie wore that season, And that's what I think about early on, and you know, watching basketball in college and and knowing about that Arizona team that won the championship. But Mike Dibby was one of my favorite point guards even in the NBA, and so that's one of the first things come to mind. And that group with Miles Simon and you know, Jason Terry, all those guys man.
Speaker 11: Right right, So the program has got a lot of buzz, in particular with this income and recruiting class. Have you had a chance to look at maybe some of the film behind this class and just your initial impressions and thoughts.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you know what that's that's kind of the luxury of me coming from Texas directly here. You know, we all, you know, recruit a lot of the same guys we you know, me and coach Lloyd, we you know, the first time we met was that or recruiting events. So you know, I'm very familiar with the big time roster that they were able to put together turning guys, right, you know, the returning guys, and you know, played against Toby when he was at Tennessee and was a fan of Jaden when he was coming up, even in his first year at Alabama. So I had a chance to you know, really know this roster. And that's what I'm kind of doing right now as far as watching film, getting caught up on terminology and guys, getting me the speed of how they play and how they do their day to day operations.
Speaker 2: Right. Well, you come in at a great time. I mean, it's gonna be a great future next year's season. Everyone looks forward to the next season obviously with the guys who can return and the schedule that they're having. So enjoy your time finding that house and be safe with your family and stuff, and we'll see you soon.
Speaker 5: Sounds good, man. And and if you guys have any good restaurants you wanted to test, please let me know from foodie.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, okay, great, great. You're probably a text Mex guy, are you? Or what are you do? You? What do you got?
Speaker 6: You know what?
Speaker 5: I'm I'm I'm a really everything guy. My wife she uh, she suspended. She's from Patho actually, oh so, I'm a chips and salsa.
Speaker 2: Guy all day, every day. Okay, I'll say something. I'll send her for some notes on some of the restaurants from us.
Speaker 5: That sounds good.
Speaker 2: Okay, thanks, coach, I appreciate you.
Speaker 5: Yep, thank you, guys.
Speaker 2: Brandon Chappelle from The New You and the New UA Basketball Coach cool, Yeah, sounds a good guy fits right in. Yeah, yeah, you know, not a not a prick, just a good guy. Okay, good good age group too, Yeah yeah, yeah, okay, let's take a break. If you're an Arizona Man's basketball fan, you know it's been successful for nearly forty years. Now, take a look back at the Ludolsen era. In my new book, Lessons from Loot it was a labor of love through the eyes of twenty five former players, coaches, and friends to give insight to the coach and the man who led them, competed against them, and inspired them. Twenty five chapters for his twenty five years as Arizona's beloved coach. Lessons from Loot is an insight to how he built the program into a national powerhouse. What one email me at Steve dot RIVERA ninety five at gmail dot com. Where do you buy exercise equipment?
Speaker 11: Arizona Health Arizona Health Arizona Health.
Speaker 18: Of course, to feel better and look better, it makes sense to buy your fitness equipment from the people who know it better than anyone else. At Arizona Health, our goal is to help you choose the equipment you need to reach your goals. Your health and fitness deserve the best you deserve. Arizona Health the.
Speaker 19: Leading edge and exercise equipment on twenty second just west of Wilmot.
Speaker 14: What's your goal a new career or career advancement?
Speaker 2: How about transferring to a four year college.
Speaker 14: PEMA Community College can help you make some day today and reach your goals affordably on your schedule. With over one hundred programs to choose from in financial aid available. It's time to earn the degree or certificate you need to prepare for the career you want. PIMA offers free career exploration classes so you can choose the field that's right for you. Learn how at pima dot edu. Slash Someday, Hey.
Speaker 2: Tucson, Steve rivera heir, and I've got a tip for you. Want to be in good hands while cruising the desert or kicking back at home, then you need to call my friends at the Edmond Marcus All State Agency. These guys are the MVPs of home and auto coverage. Whether it's a fender bender or a leaky roof, They've got you covered. Don't fumble your chance to say call them today and score big on your insurance. With the Edmond Marcus All State Agency, You're always in good hands. Visit them at twenty seven nineteen North Campbell or call them at five two zero three two three nine three three three. Where do you buy exercise equipment?
Speaker 10: Arizona Health Arizona Health Arizona Health.
Speaker 18: Of course, to feel better and look better, it makes sense to buy your fitness equipment from the people who know it better than anyone else. At Arizona Health, our goal is to help you choose the equipment you need to reach your goals. Your health and fitness deserve the best you deserve.
Speaker 19: Arizona Health the lead manage an exercise equipment on twenty second, just west of Wilmot.
Speaker 20: Craving, Tucson's Best Burger, The Fourth Avenue Legend is back. Lindy's on Fourth is celebrating twenty years and Lindy himself is back behind the grill. We've got new mouthwatering burgers and great daily drink specials. Don't miss our upcoming twentieth anniversary Summer Bash and year end celebration. So come down to Lindy's on Fourth or order online at l fourth dot com. Lindy and Tucson's Best Burger are waiting.
Speaker 21: At Pyramid Federal Credit Union. We believe less is more. Let's pies need more money in your Pocketless hassle means more time for what matters, and less stress means more confidence in your financial future. Pyramids a lessis More philosophy. He is coming to your neighborhood with a new branch opening at the two Sound Spectrum Pair mid federal card at union where less is more federally insured and I n c UA an equal opportunity lender.
Speaker 4: Steve Rivera, he's got his eye on the ball on Tucson's sports station, Fox Sports fourteenth fifth day.
Speaker 2: Hey, welcome back to the ball here on Fox Sports fourteen fifty. I'm Si Rivera. You're Blake Eager. We got Juan, we got Matt, we got Ray. Just don't calls late for dinner. Who's the guy that does your intro? Is a general guy, right, Yeah, he's just a national fuck. You haven't been able to meet him. No, you don't call him. No, we don't want to check ins. You need to change something to see how he's doing. No, silky smooth voice. How you doing. Welcome to behind the ball your host, Steve Rivera. Yeah, I think you go to the opposite direction there one. But he said, you want to change.
Speaker 3: I'm giving you you're gonna do well in Kentucky.
Speaker 2: Stop there, folks. I want to stay on. Yeah a good stuck to you, know, mister mister Chappelle. Yeah, it's always exciting getting your coach. That's good. Higher, Yeah, big loss, but good higher yeah yeah, no, no and It's kind of goes with his trending younger, right, everybody's younger now and his staff. We'll see how how good he is one they he needs to find, uh, a guy who can well recruit. But I'm he he does that well. But Tommy, but to scout, because you have to have those assistants who scout, you know, the opponents. Yeah, is that what his role is going to be? One of them? Yeah? Him and Murphy do that because Steve did that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so you're scouting other teams, you know, their makeup is a I'm sorry the Wildcats out of season around at conference schedule next year's wild Ye.
Speaker 2: I was gonna go go there with you. Are you gonna I'm sure that's the thing you're going to miss the most because you were at all the games this year for the first time ye forever, right, Yeah, I mean because you went to the games and you saw the great games. You're not gonna You're not going to be there unofficially, Yes, I won't be there. Well, I mean most of them are neutral. Yeah, but the big game well yeah true? True for next season, yeah, for next season.
Speaker 11: Most of the I think the only big time home game is gonna be Auburn.
Speaker 2: And Kansas is coming. I assuming Kansas, yeah, and then the rest of the league obviously, but ever're just talking non conference, yeah, right, right, but you'll be able to see if you have the good job and wherever you're going.
Speaker 3: He's got some terrible basketball around where he's moving though, right, that's it's gonna be.
Speaker 2: It's gonna be crazy. You're gonna find out that the issue you a big game is is nothing compared to the Kentucky level. Then, like we all knew that, though I don't know. I think I don't know. Do you do you feel that you ASU do?
Speaker 3: I think it's like specific, Oh yeah, that's probably it's just because of the rivalry.
Speaker 2: But I mean a s U hasn't been no, but overall just overall, just the rivalry itself.
Speaker 3: Do you think it compares to how does it compare to other rivalries around that country?
Speaker 2: Question?
Speaker 3: Like Texas Oklahoma. That's the question. It's a are you're talking about just in state rivalries? Both in state? I think I would say Kentucky Kentucky Louisville is probably you're not in basketball, I would say it's got to be number one. Right, You're duke in North Carolina. Sorry, yeah, yeah, that's number two vice versa. Yeah, switch them. Yeah, it was the beasketball and issue.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it doesn't even overall, Yeah, it's a it's a top ten five really in overall, I believe. So you're talking about all sports everything, just the just the h okay, okay that yes, yeah, top five, I would say top twelve maybe my twelve. Why not. There's gotta be there's gotta be more, more rivalries that are better than a s U U.
Speaker 9: U.
Speaker 2: You think that that's that's the rivalry, and that's that's U. You live it, so I don't want to argue that, but you think, Okay, what about Oregon? Okay, we'll go back in Oregon state Washington. I don't want to argue with you, Matt, because you live, you live it. You're Auburn Alabama for sure. Okay.
Speaker 3: And what about Washington Oregon Oregon versus Oregon State.
Speaker 2: You're talking why they hate each other Washington Oregons.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but how we were talking about in state now we're maxing. You just want to talk about.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's a rivalry, but that's not a rivalry, just a general general general rivalry. L A has see we don't see it from here, but he lived. That's fair. That's fair. We're getting a different perspective.
Speaker 3: We don't think about that as a true rivalry because US has always been way better than U c l A, mostly in football, and then U c l A and that's basketball.
Speaker 2: So well, what makes it good? What makes the UL overall?
Speaker 10: Every sport is just even woman's on the women's side too, like more recently.
Speaker 2: Yeah, for sure, what are you gonna say, right an Auburn, Florida, Florida.
Speaker 3: State, Florida, Florida State. I mean every I mean, yeah, so Dari right, there is not top five.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I know.
Speaker 3: I don't know if you've a s U is not. I don't even know if they're my top ten as, right, because.
Speaker 2: You've never had Texas A and M.
Speaker 3: I mean, you talk about U n C two, you talk about Auburn Alabama, you talk about Louisville Kentucky. I mean, these teams when they play each other in the past have usually been the top ten, like they're competing for national championships. When's the last time you have A and as you have been in the top ten when they played each other in any sport, Well, give it another one other than baseball.
Speaker 2: Utah, I don't I don't know. I don't know. You call me mister Utah. Yeah, because of our conversation, e y u Utah. I mean they hate each other. Yeah, I get it. Yeah, they hate each other. Yeah, I don't know this is the top it. Then I stopped the rivalry. What category are we putting this in?
Speaker 3: Rival like competing when they're competing at the highest level, or just overall rivaly because I don't know how to rate I don't know how to rape then, because every state is going to say the same thing.
Speaker 1: Bedlam's always fun.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I always circle Bedlom for college football because you never know what's going to happen in that game.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you're absolutely right. So right there doesn't top five, top ten, maybe top twelve. You're still you're not changing your mind.
Speaker 1: I think you can make a case for top ten being from here. But yeah, it's top five tough because I mean you think about like Michigan, Oh State too.
Speaker 3: Yeah, here's Michigan, Michigan state'll state Michigan.
Speaker 11: Like, here's my last argument for why it's top five in my opinion, with other rivalries there's there's other ones to it, so like Florida Florida State, but then there's also Florida Miami. Think about Arizona Arizona. They what other rivalries are there?
Speaker 2: Truly? Maybe you see you said maybe, but you said there's no maybe there.
Speaker 3: It's actually there's it's one hundred rivalry in basketball in basketball.
Speaker 11: Sure, no, three hundred and sixty five days. These two get that and no one else apples apples.
Speaker 3: You're probably right. Yeah, I don't know. You said you wouldn't be in your top twelve. No, I think it might make my top thirteen.
Speaker 2: At thirteen. Yeah, yeah, you're right. Yeah, I don't know.
Speaker 3: This is I know I brought this question up, but I u c L a usc as something for Matt being from LA.
Speaker 2: What would you put it in the in the top ten if you is it in the top ten recently? I'm going to say now, but historically, historically it has to be it has to be Okay, and what do I know about Colorado, Colorio State, all that stuff.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but different, they've got to be somewhat in the same kind of league. I think Oklahoma, Oklahoma, Texas, Oklahoma Texas, I said earlier absolutely, and they usually play each other at a high level. I mean, that's what you're talking about, Budlin, Like, it doesn't matter if you're ranked or not, You're it's gonna be down to the wire.
Speaker 1: Man, red River, There's been so many good like I feel like I could just talk about Red No, it didn't not even close. But like when I was in the military, like you know, start like growing up or like getting into college football, it was just like come back after comeback after comeback for Oklahoma for like a three year stretch and it was just like man, and it was like all while yours was there too. And so it's like, dude, like like Texas, Like I don't know Oklahoma.
Speaker 2: I thought you were stationed in Texas somewhere, no service to Okay, Yeah that's Texas, SUCA. Yeah, it's a good face, it's it's all right. They're they're the easiest people. I don't want to make you cry. They're in the top two. Yeah wait wait, you're right on.
Speaker 3: Yeah for today, and then when you move.
Speaker 2: There'll be thirteen.
Speaker 14: Yeah.
Speaker 3: You've You've prepared so many young men and young women for their next step, and they're sure, no, no, no, I'm being honest. Okay, this is true. I'm I give you a compliment, just take it. So, how how many do you stay in contact? Ok Now, because you are from a personnel standpoint, you have the ability to build relationships, like how many of those the young men young women?
Speaker 2: That's a fair question. About five? It's five or six? Yeah, that's good, that's really they've also landed some pretty good jobs. Do you text them and say, is there any jobs openings?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 2: No, But I have talked to him about that because some of them just recently are still looking for jobs, or because the media is so fluid that they've lost that job and looking for another job, and they're asking me for advice and or recommendations, or they're you know, me saying endorsing them. Yeah. Now, do you think you'll do the same with Matt and one that one? Yeah, if they, if they, and we we talked about it coming into the the studio, right, what I think he should do? Right giving the advice of yeah, so so because I was them many years ago. And yeah, but my problem with this program, and I'll say this publicly, Arizona has in the journalist department, they start them too late. I mean I saw Juan. I think it's fantastic. Ray and all these guys they started, they came here as seniors. They should have been here as sophomores. That way you can build that relationship. And I want to send them out as a software somewhere else. Come back, do a summer as a junior, and as as a senior whom you're ready to get hired and you're ready to go.
Speaker 3: Yeah, because if you're a sophomore, you've got two summers and the exactly to get out of this market, learn another market, and then come back exactly exactly.
Speaker 2: And I told that to Matt coming in right. I wish you would have started earlier. That way we can kind of get established here somewhere, impress somebody, and they'll say, hey, Matt, when you're done, come back, yea, come back. I said this to Juan, I said this to I'll say this to Ray. But the other ones I said they started earlier. Uh, but still it was kind of too late. Yeah, and one's not his head right. Yeah.
Speaker 11: Yeah, It's something that's been talked about within the students, uh, within journalism at Arizona one.
Speaker 2: Not only are we starting late.
Speaker 11: But especially specifically my class that we're about to graduate with it was print focused, and we can't be print focused anymore. Were you the COVID class well a year after you was kind of still kind of And and maybe that's an issue too, because they're online learning and all that stuff.
Speaker 2: You don't learn that stuff. It's like when Spanish, you don't learn it from a book. You can go to a biblicitecha all you want, but it doesn't get you. You know, you got to go and learn how to speak. And then this is the same thing. One you probably learned more in a year, not just here, but doing the other stuff you've done, right, Ye, because you learned a lot because you had to because it was your job.
Speaker 3: Fail in the field you want to go in, Yeah, right, I mean because that's the best way to learn.
Speaker 2: You have to and you find out if you want to do it. Yeah, and I'm assuming you still want to do it.
Speaker 11: That's one of the questions I was asked with my last interview process, So why journalism? I said, well, I fell in love with it and I want to pursue this.
Speaker 2: Then my next question to you is are you still in love with it? Yes? That answers it yeah, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 11: So it's kind of combining these last two conversations and speaking of top five, top whatever, where do I rank top five?
Speaker 2: Interns? Oh?
Speaker 3: The personal question gloves coming off them, accepting top two, not to Hey, you're in the top five for me boom.
Speaker 2: He's he's seeing not five, not four, not three, not two With that raise, tell me you got to get up theah. That's the right call. We'll be back on Monday.
Speaker 6: We'll bring you.
Speaker 2: Thank you very much. Another note, what do I say more importantly importantly that's what to the hot chicks? All right, guys, thanks for coming in.