Speaker 1: You're listening to Bill Handle on demand from KFI AM six forty.
Speaker 2: KFI AM six forty Bill Handle here on a taco Tuesday, October twenty nine, next Tuesday, the election, and we're not gonna call it.
Speaker 1: No one's gonna call it the nine of the election unless it is a complete landslide, which it won't be. So it's gonna go on for days, maybe a couple of weeks before we actually know now talking about the election. And a couple of things have happened in the world of newspapers. Two major newspapers, one the La Times, the other one the Washington Post. La Times owned owned by a gentleman, a doctor who became insanely wealthy, Patrick Soon Shong, and the Washington Post owned by Jeff Bezos. And both of those papers were gonna come out and endorse Kamala Harris like papers do, and wording to the editorial board. It was Bezos and Patrick Schuen Shong that said, nope, there will not be an editorial, there will be no endorsement. And it took everybody on the editorial board for just a loop on both papers because they're both saying that The Times and the Post were just about to publish that, and it went to the owners for a final approval and the owner said, nope, you're not going to publish. And all of a sudden, I mean, this is a week before the election and people are reeling. So there is an op ed piece by a former member of the La Times editorial board and it was printed in the Atlantic because it wasn't going to be printed in The Times. And immediately started questioning and a lot of people started questioning, why do you say no to an endorsement that the board already has voted on. I mean, the owners, of course have the right to say no, but usually there's a firewall where the editorial department is separate from the news department and the owners leave it alone. Well, it didn't happen in this case, and the editorial board was ignored. The owners overrode the editorial board. And I'll tell you it happens. For example, in the case of the Post, two hundred thousand people cancel their subscription. Have no idea how many subscriptions were canceled with the La Times. That hasn't been released yet. Now does a newspaper always endorse not always? Matter of fact, the Times stopped endorsing for twenty years, actually more than that, right up until from nineteen seventy two to two thousand and eight. So add that one up all of those decades. Why because people were a little upset in Los Angeles that the LA Times endorsed Richard Nixon in nineteen seventy two, sort of in the middle of Watergate, and so the Times pulled back, and then in two thousand and eight they came back and said, well, we're back to endorsing it. We're gonna endorse this relatively little known guy by the name of Barack Obama. So in this op ed piece that this writer wrote arguing why endorsements are so important now, Bezos and Soon Shong said, endorsements from papers do nothing. They don't move the needle. When it comes to presidential elections. No one votes for president because the paper has endorsed that particular candidate. And that's not the argument. Oh. The other thing is that Shun Shong said that he had asked the editorial board to write an analysis of all the positive and negative policies by each candidate, and the board didn't do that. And the writer said, oh, yes, we didn't do that that's just an utter lie that was said by shun. So here's the argument for editorials, and this one made a lot of sense because I believe it too. Who cares what a paper? Do you pay attention to what a paper says an endorsement? I don't. But here is the argument why they're so important. The analysis here, the analogy is endorsements and editorials are a lot like a lawyer's closing argument to a jury after a long trial, where you have exhibits, you have witnesses, and what the lawyers do is simply remind. They remind the jurors of everything they've seen in chronological order and to put it all together, and then you vote. You the jurors vote same thing with the editorial board when they make an endorsement. This is the argument, is that, look at all of the issues, look at all of the evidence that has been presented in this campaign. We're going to put it all together for you, and we are then going to make a choice as to an endorsement. But that's our choice, not your choice. An endorsement is not a call. For example, let's say I endorse a candidate and in this election, i am I'm not endorsing, I'm non endorsing. I am voting against Trump. I'm not voting for Kamala Harrison. It has happened so many times because in the last I don't know how many races, when's the last time you actually voted for a candidate. We've now come in the world of national politics where you simply vote against. And that's my case. Now. I gave you all the reasons why over the past several months, and in the end, the process says, here is who I'm not going to vote for. However, it's up to you. I'm adamant about telling you, please, don't pay attention to me. Just look at me for my reasons. And it's like sitting down at a cocktail party. You're sitting down at dinner or having a coffee clatch or clutch, whatever they call it, and you're saying, here are the reasons, and you put it all together. That's why editorials are so important. And editorials also The Times, even though it didn't endorse a specific presidential candidate the la time, because I read it every day, The Times had no problem down ticket, not at all. Assembly people judges, they endorse, they enjoy Senate races. It's just the presidential this time around didn't endorse, so bezos is and shouldn't shung are practicing I always mispronounce everybody's name. Are saying, Nope, nope, nope, we just don't want to endorse. And it's too bad because paper should endorse. They should endorse, and explain why that's my feeling, all right, Neil, stop looking at me that way. You know that you shake your head, and you know I'm not trying to convince you to do or say anything. No the thought, Yes I am. It's a different world.
Speaker 3: It's gotten very heated, and I think in some of these cases it's gotten too much to the point where it's hard to trust any media whatsoever.
Speaker 1: And that's to go back with something a little different. But that is and that is the problem, because when I see an endorsement by a major news outlet, and here the reasons why the endorsement, and it's well thought out. No one makes any crazy claims. They lay it out and that I look at because I actually pay attention to the LA Times a lot more than I pay attention to info Wars. I pay attention to the New New York Times a lot more than I pay attention to Fox and that's why I'd love to see the endorsement, and why from a legitimate source in my opinion, where they're not going crazy with the politics of politics. All right, Next Tuesday, it's election day and we are going to vote. I'll tell you one thing. I don't get involved in your voting, except I get really angry when you don't vote. I mean, this is our fundamental franchise. We are a government of the people, by the people, and if you don't vote, you have no business saying anything about politics. It's that simple, all right. So what's going to happen next Tuesday. Well, we're not gonna have a president next Tuesday elected. I'll tell you that. Here's what absolutely going to happen. No matter who wins, Donald Trump's going to claim the election was rigged. If he loses, it was rigged, he goes to the courts. And even beyond that, if he wins, it was still rigged because remember he won in twenty sixteen. But the election was rigged. You know why, because Hillary Clinton got more She got more votes across the country, she got more popular votes, even though she lost the electoral college. We've talked about that a lot. And so if Trump doesn't win the popular vote and the electoral vote, it is rigged, even if he becomes president, like it will happened last time around. So that is going to happen. First of all, we're not going to know who wins unless it is a blow out landslide, which is not going to happen because you have three states Arizona, Pennsylvania, Wisconsin, all battleground states, very slow at counting for various reasons. Some jurisdictions they can't even start counting early ballots until the election day when everything is counted, and so some have to be hand counted because there will be enough. They'll be so close that some laws kick in where you have to recount. I mean, there's a whole bunch of reasons. Now, he claimed, and this is Donald Trump. He claimed that in twenty sixteen he was robbed of the popular vote. Okay, he was robbed. He has already charged. And this is what the Republicans have said, and particularly him, that the only way the Democrats are going to win is if they rig the vote. It is impossible for Donald Trump to lose in a free democratic election. By definition, the only free election that it can occur in this country is if he wins. And the unfortunate part. Now, as crazy as that sounds to me, and it does, I mean, it's just it's kind of insane. The majority of Republicans believe that in this country. I'm talking about regular smart people. I'm talking about people who I talk to, who have great jobs, who have a great education, who are rational. And I've asked, was the election rigged when he lost? Absolutely? If he loses again, is it because there'll be a rigged election. Absolutely, there's no way we have a free election without the Republicans winning. And so if Trump loses, here come the courts. It's certainly not over on election day. This is what his campaign manager said earlier this year. It's not over on election day. It's over on inauguration day, and the fight is going to continue. Four years ago, when Biden won, there were all kinds of legal challenges the Republicans or he asked the Republican state legislatures to overturn the results, demanded that Mike Pence refuse to certify the electoral votes, which of course he had no legal ability to do that, and then it culminated into the really angry Trump supporters there in Washington invading the Capitol. And so what happens. What are the possible outcomes. Well, let's say there is a tie, which it can't happen two seventy to two seventy electoral College. Then it kicks over the House of Representatives, and there every state has one vote. California has the same as Rhode Island, California with forty million people Rhode Island with I think eighteen people living in the state at any given time, same vote. And since there is a Republican majority by a factor of four and still will be on election on election night, Trump gets the election. If it were a Democratic majority, it would be a Democrat that gets the election. We'll say that's happened once. By the way, it was Thomas Jefferson and Aaron Burr who were fighting for it, and Thomas Jefferson clearly won. Here's the other thing that's been going on around the country the Republican state legislatures, of which there are many rampant Republicans who were just as angry at the ripoff when Biden won, because those clearly a stolen election, have changed the rules and now it is far easier for the election officials to question, to examine, to re examine the vote. They have become, frankly law enforcement officials, because think of this. Election officials their job is to count. That's it. Nothing else count, and if there is an allegation of fraud, if they discover something wrong, they turn it over to law enforcement. Law enforcement deals with fraud and rigging of the votes, which is a federal crime. And the way the laws have been rewritten, it is now up to election officials to not only count and certify, but also investigate and overturn votes if they deem that there has been fraudulent voting. And that's the problem they are. On January sixth, Trump told his followers, if you don't fight like hell, you won't have a country anymore. This one, it's gonna this is getting even better or worse. Last month in Wisconsin, he said at a rally, if I don't win, migrants will walk into your kitchen, they will cut your throat. We will not have a country anymore. And so the thought of just the litigation going on, I mean, that's sort of a given. I mean, it's getting worse and worse, and as are elections are becoming safer and safer. They're being attacked more and more. For example, you've got what was a sixty minute piece talking about I think election Arizona. They have put up the hard wire, hard fences, concertina wire around the election, the nuts, polling place of the ballot, counting buildings Detroit, bulletproof glass in the buildings, Snipers on roofs. This is for counting facilities. This is to count the votes. And they have snipers on the roof and so it's very depressing, very depressing. So we're gonna follow, We're gonna see you wins. No idea who's gonna win, by the way, none whatsoever. But I know we're going to have the lawsuits of plenty over one hundred, by the way, have already been filed before the election. Over one hundred lawsuits have been filed to invalidate rules and mail in balloting and when they're counted and errors are they serious?
Speaker 4: Errors?
Speaker 1: Are they not? I mean, this goes on and on all right. Mike Dubuski, who is the ABC News Technology reporter, Mike, thank you so much for taking the time to talk to us. Big doings in the world of Apple their AI is arriving, and I tried to go on Siri today and it was not good. It's going to be easier for me, isn't it. Well, that's what they say.
Speaker 5: So Apple Intelligence is Apple's branding for their take on the generative artificial intelligence craze. We first got to look at how they were thinking about this technology all the way back in June at WWDC, their Worldwide Developer Conference. They made some big promises there, among them a much more intelligent version of Siri that you can talk to just like we're talking now, kind of more natural language, free flowing conversations. It's gonna be able to do a lot more as well. In addition to that, they made some big promises around partnerships with open Ai, promising to bring chat GPT into Apple software as well. For things that their own artificial intelligence can't handle, they're going to hand it off to chat GPT. Those were just a few of the announcements they made back in June. Now we're starting to see the realization of some of those promises. In a new software update this week to iPhones, iPads, and Mac computers. You're going to be able to play around with some Apple intelligence stuff, and what that means is basically two things. There's a new photo editing tool where you can go into your photos and basically highlight anything that you don't want to be there, and using artificial intelligence, Apple will be able to delete that thing and fill in the background behind it. Is a feature that we've seen on other smartphones in the past. Google pixel as a feature called the Magic Eraser, which has been around for a few years now. Now iPhone users will be able to play around with that technology as well. And Notifications is the other big AI announcement with regard to their software this week. That's going to be able to look at your texts, look at your emails, and summarize them in notification form, so you can get a quick, at a glance look of what someone wants to tell you without scrolling through a long, boring email.
Speaker 1: All right, I use a lot of Siri and it doesn't really do very good job. I use it on the phone, I use it on the air here and eh, you know, and I have the traditional series. A matter of fact, I'm going to try something right now, Okay, Siri? Who is Mike Dubuski.
Speaker 4: Oh, Michael John March nineteen eighty two, America, former professional baseball outfielder, first baseman, and shortstop.
Speaker 1: So when did you stop playing baseball? Well?
Speaker 5: See, here's the thing. Theory got that pretty wrong. I couldn't even tell you how to play baseball nrtually. So yeah, that's the thing with Siri is that it's often looked at as the perennial also ran of the voice assistant world. It's been usurped by Google Assistant, Amazon Alexa in terms of what it can do. In addition things like that, like we just demonstrated, it doesn't really understand you very well. It kind of makes mistakes like that pretty frequently, and when it can answer a question, it just kicks you over to the web saying like hey, I'll look that up on the web.
Speaker 1: For yeah, and it didn't work. So what you're saying, hopefully is that once this Apple AI kicks in, and by the way, I'm going to get another phone. I'm just it's what is it, the new Blasto five thousand, whatever the hell the new phone is that I'm getting it. I'm assuming it will have Apple AI. And if I were to ask that same question again next time we talk, I'll have an idea of who you are, and maybe you'll be paying football instead of baseball.
Speaker 5: Well a couple of asterisks is there. So Apple Intelligence is only available on certain phones. So depending on what phone you upgrade to, you may or may not have access to Apple Intelligence. And this has been a criticism of Apple over the last few weeks. Here, the iPhone sixteen, the latest iPhone, all of them across the range are going to be able to support Apple Intelligence. Only the iPhone fifteen Pro models are going to be able to support Apple Intelligence. That's the nicer phones from last year. Anything else, you're kind of out of luck. That's because the chips, the processors that run in these phones, they are built to sustain artificial intelligence and AI like this generative AI requires a lot of computing power, so they're really limiting the rollout of this technology. What's more, the smarter SERI isn't available right now. In fact, when the iPhone sixteen launched last month, there was no AI in it really at all in terms of Apple Intelligence, and that was a criticism of Apple. They're all over the marketing is Apple Intelligence. You can get the new iPhone sixteen with Apple Intelligence, but up until this week, you really couldn't access any Apple intelligence, and the Apple Intelligence stuff you can access this week is kind of small fry. It's a photo editing feature that we've seen in other phones, and it's like a notification summary the bigger stuff, the smarter serie, the chatch Ept integration that's coming in the next few months, and that delay is certainly getting the attention of some smartphone providers.
Speaker 1: Of course. All right, Mike, thank you much. We'll talk again, and thanks for taking the time, so, of course, take it all right, Mike Dubuski, ABC News Tech reporter out of New York. All Right, Dodgers Yankees. There's not just a battle for the World Series. There's also the battle of the brands. How much is the brand of the Yankees and the Dodgers worth? Right now, the Yankees are the highest value team in Major League Baseball valuation of seven point six billion dollars. The brand itself is valued at one point two billion. Dodgers are the runner up, their second in the league five point five billion valuation, and the brand is worth one point one billion. And why are the Yankees such a top brand in Major League Baseball? Well, they've won the World Series. More than any other team. I think they have a twenty seven World Series and the next up is eleven. They had Babe Ruth, Joe DiMaggio, Ty Cobb. Does Ty Copp play for the Yankees? I think he did, I don't remember anyway, So there is a history. And then you know, look at Jay Z's baseball cap. The Yankees have partnered with Gucci, and Hollywood loves the Yankees, even though the Dodgers are the LA town are the local team here in Los Angeles. And here's something I didn't know, by the way, that the Yankees' logo was that N and Y that are interlocking came from Tiffany's in eighteen seventy seven. Tiffany's actually created the Yankees' logo. Interesting little side story. And according to Jim Andrews, who's a sports marketing professor at Northwest Journey, the Yankees have this status where they transcended baseball, and a lot of that is true. I mean, you know, Babe Ruth, these players transcend baseball. Show Hey Otani certainly in Japan, and he's beyond baseball, and a few of the stars are, and there's more so on the Yankees team. So there's a reason for that. The Yankees are just the Yankees, although the Dodgers second place, and they're moving up pretty quickly. Right now in terms of internationalization, the Dodgers are beating the Yankees. Now. The total number of social media followers, well again, you've got the Dodgers at thirteen million, you have the Yankees at seventeen and a half million. However, however, LA fans engage with the team more on social media, the most likes, shares, repost comments, video views more than any other team in Major League Baseball, So that helps. And a history of the Dodgers, it's one of the great rivalries of baseball. The bigger the brand, the more merchandise you're selling, according to the professor, the more money you're making. That makes sense. So in twenty twenty three, the Yankees generated six hundred and seventy nine million dollars, second place Dodgers five hundred and forty nine million dollars.
Speaker 4: And I think a lot of it also has to do with where the Yankees play for New York, of course, the Dodger play for Los Angeles, and what are the two biggest media markets in the United.
Speaker 1: States by a long shot New York, LA. So I've always found it fascinating in terms of the brands and who is worth more. And a lot of it has to do with the recognition, not even so much how good a team is, because the Yankees have had miserable years, but they're still the Yankees, and they're just revered as baseball the most valuable team out there, by the way, And I think this is correct, and I'll ask Siri this, and that's Manchester United, the soccer team out of Great Britain, or at least it was the most valuable sports property on the planet. Hey, sirih what is the most most valuable sports team in the world the Dallas Cowboys. Del that's wrong. It even contradicts the story. We did this story with Mike Dubuski about Siri and Ai and how crappy it is Manchester United most valuable team in the world, but the brand wars between the Dodgers and the Yankees. I digressed for a moment. I think at some point the Dodgers are going to win this one. All they need to do is do a dynasty or two and win a few World Series and no one would be more thrilled than Amy, and no one would be more upset than Anne the Padres. You know where the Padres going to go? Anne? No place? Ty Cobb was with the Detroit Tigers. Okay, well, thank you. I had asked the question. I asked the question. Stick to the topics. Whoa, And we'll not be joining us tomorrow on the show. I just want to point that out. We are now looking for another producer effective today. Coming up. Please actually KFI AM six four to eight live everywhere on the iHeartRadio app. You've been listening to the Bill Handle Show. Catch my Show Monday through Friday, six am to nine am, and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio app