Speaker 1: Now, why did I play birthday? Well, because I have an annual tradition going back many many years now of bringing in my good friend going back a long ways as well, who is the state senator.
Speaker 2: He's also running for governor. But his real claim to.
Speaker 1: Fame is that, like me, he has an August second birthday, And so for a long time we've had a tradition on the air whenever possible, honor around our birthday of having him on. And I'm very pleased that he's joining me in studio, which I don't know, I can't remember the last time we've done it.
Speaker 2: Mark Baisley, welcome, Thank you, Jimmy.
Speaker 3: And that is my claim to fame, that I share a birthday with Jimmy Singenberger.
Speaker 2: All easey Singenberger. You know it is awesome.
Speaker 1: We also radio host Dennis Brager has August second, that's right, And we have a vice president of the United States whose birthday is August second.
Speaker 3: We have invited a new member to our club, vice President.
Speaker 1: Isn't it pretty cool to share a birthday with the Vice President? Is that it?
Speaker 2: And Jimmy Sangenberger, Yes, well.
Speaker 3: That vice president in particular, or not just any vice president. Yes, a really good one. Yes it is.
Speaker 1: It is much much better than sharing it with Kamala Harris. Gotta say, so, how do you do it? Did you have a good birthday weekend?
Speaker 2: I did?
Speaker 3: I did, celebrated with UH with my kids and UH and one grand kid.
Speaker 2: But yeah, I'm sorry, no four grandkids one guy. You forgot about half of the three, which I don't know if.
Speaker 3: The one who's so young that she looks like my grandkid and the others are so old that they Yeah. But yeah, it was a wonderful birthday, got got some way cool gifts, and UH, celebrated with family.
Speaker 1: You were running for governor, you are elected the state Senate. You've been elected to the state House. You've also served as and been elected as vice chair of the Colorado Republican Party years back. I never intend on following any of those paths, but I am eligible to run for president.
Speaker 2: Now, with congratulations.
Speaker 1: I'm finally old enough, which is funny because my high school graduating class voted me my senior superlative was most likely to be voted president. No kidding, so I could do it theoretically, but no, don't get your hopes.
Speaker 2: So all right, you know what what else that means?
Speaker 3: And I hope this is a shock to you that because I was actually wondering this, at what point are you exactly one.
Speaker 2: Half white age? And that's now I am you are?
Speaker 1: That's that is a very special birthday then just happened.
Speaker 2: There you go, big day for both of those figure.
Speaker 1: Now you have specifically dated yourself.
Speaker 2: For anybody who can do this, it's.
Speaker 3: The simplest of arithmetics, the simplest math.
Speaker 2: Well, happy birthday.
Speaker 1: It is good to have you and to be able to carry on the tradition right here on Koa no less. Yeah, Let's talk for a moment about the political dynamics we have in Colorado, because this is a state that clearly is from both our perspectives, dramatically far gone. We have democrats in control of all levers of government and in a way where they don't feel any sort of check, they are pushing the envelope every legislative session. When you look at how things are right now, big picture in Colorado, especially since you're running for statewide office, how do you assess the lay of the land.
Speaker 2: Well, I am.
Speaker 3: Hoping that there is just this constant conscience in people's heads and hearts that the Founders tapped into and that they call the laws of nature and of Nature's God. And so I never believe that we are fighting a battle between our team and the.
Speaker 2: Other team, you know, the Broncos versus the raiders.
Speaker 3: That sort of thing. It's not a team thing. This is natural law versus the unnatural. It's it's it's natural law versus a rebellion against natural law, a rebellion against wisdom.
Speaker 2: And certainly communities.
Speaker 3: Cultures go through their cycles of rebellion and so on, but they come back around because we're created beings and we're all created by that same single creator. And I think that it's in us. So after a while when you dance around rebelliously and elect people to office like we have for the past ten years, where we have a single party rule in Colorado, and the results speak for themselves and they ain't pretty. And so I'm hoping that the rest that the state catches up with the rest of the country and says that was not a good idea. It seemed like cool at the time, but we're suffering now, and it's what we're watching in New York right with the cool idea of electing a socialist mayor, and they'll probably do it, and then ten years later they're going to go what we do.
Speaker 1: Since you mentioned mom Donnie in New York City, I just played the clip again. I don't think you can play it enough because I haven't heard much talk about it. But here's Congressman Jason Crowe of the sixth Congressional District on Friday with Bill Maher who said, Bill Maher said this, We've never had someone this radical, and he asked Jason Crow, and here's Crow's response.
Speaker 2: You're going to have to answer everything like this.
Speaker 3: They're going to ask every single Democratic politician.
Speaker 2: It's that's never I.
Speaker 4: Mean, there's always a villain, there's always people they would always try to create a villain.
Speaker 2: It's my point. The always try to create some boogieman or Bill boogie Wise.
Speaker 4: If it wasn't this one, it was going to be somebody else.
Speaker 2: I'm not creating anything. I mean, I'm not.
Speaker 4: Defending the policies. There are plenty of things that I disagree with there and that I that.
Speaker 2: I don't come down on.
Speaker 4: But but the point being, we see this every cycle. I've now been doing this long enough to know that every single cycle there's some you know, contrived villain or boogieman.
Speaker 2: And if it wasn't, this is going to be the mayor of New York.
Speaker 1: That's a congressman from Colorado, the sixth Congressional District, Jason Crowe, live on National tell.
Speaker 2: Or taped, I guess on national television.
Speaker 1: And he's saying that Mandani, Mam Donnie is a contrived villain.
Speaker 3: I'm flabbergasted by that one. No kidding, I'll tell you why. I take heart in mom. Donnie would never be elected within the Republican Party. He's he's invited into the Democrat Party. That is the same party that has the KKK in their background slavery, and they defended slavery. We stood up, We our ancestors stood up the Republican Party in response to that.
Speaker 2: They should they should be ashamed.
Speaker 3: They should be They should cause them to look internally and go, who are we and do we even align with American founding principles?
Speaker 2: And if not, get on board this is important stuff.
Speaker 1: Along those lines. Let's go back to this legislative session. I remembered, and I pulled up and grant quickly in no time, doing Yeomen's work behind the glass like he always does, got it plugged in. You did something I thought was pretty cool. You read for me on the floor of the State Senate as there was radical legislation dealing with transgender issues in schools and more, and the implications dramatic. And I want to share a little bit from what you read, and let's talk about what's happening in K through twelve schools because I know this is really near and dear to your heart now.
Speaker 5: Denver Gazette investigative columnists Jimmy Sanenberger wrote a column recently about House Bill twenty five thirteen twelve. He says in this his article, Let's be real, this isn't about gender identity or discrimination. It's about whether government can force citizens, businesses, or journalists to say things they don't believe. So let's move into the bill itself and see where that might occur.
Speaker 2: And shortly thereafter you read it a little bit more. Part of Jimmy Sangenberger's article is that word believe.
Speaker 5: It's about whether government can force citizens, businesses, or journalists, which he is a journalist, to say things that they don't believe.
Speaker 1: Where are we at in our society right now, when this is legislation passing through the Colorado legislature, Well, just.
Speaker 3: As you described earlier, with single party rule, they get cocky, confident, and spoiled to the point where, hey, let's go beyond the utilitarian features of government building infrastructure like roads and bridges and so on.
Speaker 2: Let's start managing the people. Let's manage their behavior.
Speaker 3: Let's get ourselves involved in their families, in their children's sexuality. What business does any government have in getting between parents and their children's sexuality.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh.
Speaker 3: So this is where they've gone. And I believe, and I've said it at a different point a different day, that it has become their church. The state has become their church. And it's a convenient church because it is a church that comes with the force of government. And that's where I believe that the Democrats have become.
Speaker 1: You might have actually said that in the rest of the clip that I did not play. I think you touched on that a little bit in that same speech, And you're right, this comes down to a belief system of trying to enforce that from government, and that is not the role of government full stop. And yet we have this direction that we've seen across the country of trying to enforce a certain orthodoxy. And thankfully, at the federal level we've seen pushback from the current administration, but at the state level and in school districts and in so many other institutions, we still see this radical movement. And so for somebody running for elected, as you are, Mark Basedly a candidate for governor and currently serving in the state Senate, what do you think government should do to write the ship on this. Let's say you're elected governor and you're looking at these issues, what would you want to change?
Speaker 3: Well, so the easy, simple thing is just veto the snot out of every bill that comes up that is inappropriate for legislation, appropriate statute.
Speaker 2: We have our constitutional guard rails.
Speaker 3: Thou shalt not pass into law a bill that is unconstitutional, that just is totally ignored. I point that out every time an unconstitutional bill comes across, I go up and I pointed out, I'll read from the constitution here's what's in violation. I'll read from the bill, here's the part that's violating that constitutional concept. And they vote for it anyway. So, at the very least all of those unconstitutional bills need to be vetoed, but beyond that, the government should not be playing such an enormous role in our lives, and the government should facilitate jobs, facilitate through commerce, education fund at least, if not provide, but fund good education. So we need to focus on that. So it is my first attempt, and I think it would be for any Republican coming in just to veto all of that social engineering that comes in. But it has to go beyond that. So we have to go from saying, Okay, I'm going to stop all the crazy because they've gotten crazy, and let's get the government back to what it ought to be doing.
Speaker 2: So I think about that a lot.
Speaker 3: What ought government to be doing so in facilitating commerce, and that's someff that I've been working on real hard, bringing the chipsack, bringing semiconductor manufact out of China and into Colorado, certainly the rest of the US, but here. So we got Colorado and I was part of that bill, got Colorado approved for the chips ACKed, and then to get us designated as a tech cub for quantum quantum computing. The center of that development of that research is right here in Colorado. Now because we won that designation in a bakeoff against all the other states that wanted that. We won and I led that charge frankly, and then third on the other side of the brain on the right side, we brought the Sundance Film Festival to Colorado. That's like winning the Super Bowl for ten years in a row. This is a big deal, and so we will have the arts side coming in. But we facilitate these things. We don't create jobs. The government doesn't create jobs for just the wasteful ones, but the bureaucratic ones. But we can facilitate peoples going after and creating, creating commerce and the dignity of work, and we get out of their way.
Speaker 2: A few minutes left.
Speaker 1: Time flies when you're literally having fun here in studio, Mark Baisley. I think about, for example, in education, you have parents groups like jeff co Kids First, which has their.
Speaker 2: Gall on Thursday evening.
Speaker 1: I know you and I will both be there, or the Colorado Parent Advocacy Network and Protect Kids Colorado. Like these different parent led organizations, I feel like we need something similar, more so in terms of advocacy from the private sector businesses to push back more vocally against some of the regulations you have some of that, but it seems like it's a little bit too subdued to me, because you're right, this can't come from these things can't come from government.
Speaker 2: You need the private sector.
Speaker 1: You need individuals to get engaged and say no, we're going to draw a line in the sand right here, don't you.
Speaker 3: A classic example of that is the AI, the artificial intelligence fight going on at the state right now. The state we have a bill that Governor pull Us signed into law under duress because his favorite bill was held in abeyance until he signed this bill AI bill, and the AI bill that was passed last year goes into effect next year. The goal of it was to try to prevent discrimination against the protected classes by AI. Okay, But the way the bill reads is that the AI developers have to turn their code their software over to the Attorney General's office for review. They do not want to hand over their intellectual property to the state government and trust them to not share it somewhere else, so they will move out of the state. My bill that I am introducing this year on that is a bill that says we get out of regulating the development of the software itself, but rather just say we will just augment the current statute that says you can't discriminate against people even with the use of technology, and then leave the technology alone. But that's a classic example of what you're talking about, the government playing its appropriate role and not sticking its nose into how commerce is done.
Speaker 1: Setting guide guard rails and a little bit of guidelines and let the market do its thing.
Speaker 2: Remember that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Mark Baisley, our guest, you're running for governor.
Speaker 2: What's your pitch? Who are you and why are you running for governor? Mark Baisley. I share a birthday with Jimmy Sangenberger. That's the qualification. That's all you need, right.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Yeah, this is a it's far more of the calling than the aspiration. You know, just every now and then you look around and you say, you know what, I think, this is something I'm supposed to be doing.
Speaker 2: Love the state.
Speaker 3: It's a much different place than the place I moved to thirty six years ago when Lucky Martin IRAQ. Back then it was Martin Murriette moved me out here as an aerospace engineer.
Speaker 2: And it's it.
Speaker 3: Is worth fighting for to bring it back to the incredible place that it has always been. We just need to be in common sense back. We need to bring our Colorado back and I aim to do that thirty seconds.
Speaker 1: The big question, given the dynamics we were talking about, can't a Republicans seriously win the governorship in Colorado?
Speaker 3: I'm always going to have hope. So we have to run a perfect game. We have to turn out the vote. The competitor that we're going to get probably Michael Bennett. Just if it were just that running against that other person, I think we could win it. But we have to turn out a vote like we've never done before because the other side has things really gamed and we need to beat that.
Speaker 2: So we need to.
Speaker 3: Overwhelm them, just like Donald Trump did. He won by overwhelming the turnout, and so that's what we need to do. Mark Baisley, what's your website? Mark Baisley dot com? Iman R K B A I S L E. Y.
Speaker 2: Happy birthday, my friend, and thanks for coming by the studios. Thank you, Jimmy, appreciate you so much.