Speaker 1: It's time for coffee and company, Fueled by Thornton's on Sports Talk seven nine day, Now here's Nick Coffee.
Speaker 2: I've now realized that I have. I've lied to myself once again. I told myself, Nick, you're gonna get born into the Olympics. You're gonna be excited, you're gonna be ready, and you know, I hadn't started yet. But I mean I haven't done any you know, haven't taken any research or I don't know, do they do hype videos stuff like that? Like it just I don't know. I feel like a bad American knowing that I can say this and mean it. The Olympics just doesn't do much for me. I hope that the United States does well, But like I don't know, Like if you feel like you need to remind yourself to get into something, like it's a chore, like that tells you you're not interested, right, That's that's what that is. I mean, you have you followed it all?
Speaker 3: I don't know if I've ever really followed the Olympics. My wife loves watching the gymnastics, like I feel like most people do.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's something about watching a sport that you question, is this a sport or or watching a sport that you know you can tell that it takes ability, talent, a lot of hard work, but you didn't know it existed. Uh and just to see how like that is intriguing to me. But once I've watched a little bit of it, it's not gonna hook me, you know to where Oh I'm all in, like and I'm not alone in that, because I know there are people who end up watching competitive beach volleyball or I don't know, curling or what. It just there's all kinds of different stuff in the Olympic, whether it be some Olympics Winter Olympics that you were like, Okay, this is actually pretty cool, and you tell yourself, I'm going to be a fan now, Like, well, you could find out where you can watch it, like it's not that difficult to do, but you don't because it's just you know, out of side, out of mind. So you know the Olympic, I isn't tonight when they do the ceremony.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but it's weird, like and maybe this is normal, but I feel like the game the games have already started, but they're having the opening ceremony tonight. Isn't is that normal.
Speaker 2: When did the game start? Uh, this week.
Speaker 3: At some point, but I remember reading something that said that the opening ceremony will take place even though there have already been a few games from CBS.
Speaker 2: It says, with umbrellas deployed, thousands of athletes and spectators who lined the streets of Paris officially kicked off the twenty twenty four Olympics on Friday. The ambitious ceremony kicked off with a giant plume of blue, white and red smoke in the colors of the French national flag with the Parade of Nations. Yeah. So, I don't mean when we watch it, like when it's on tonight, is it live? I mean, I'm looking at a picture of lebron Jay like maybe it already happened and I don't even realize, which again confirms what I started this hour with is like I told myself I was going to get into it and tried to remind myself to, you know, get ready, and I just I mean, he the Olympics could have come and gone and ended it. I don't think I would have known about it, cause it's clearly a talking point. It's clearly something that you know is going to be covered in a major way, but I tend to you know, I don't know if I got blinders on or what it is, but if there's a lot of coverage for something that I have no interest in, it's not like I don't know that there's coverage, but I can easily ignore it, you know what I mean. It's not it doesn't bother me. It's just like I, you know, there's a lot of other things in the world that will distract me from, you know, just consuming things that just don't really interest me. But I will tell you this, if you are a fan of the Olympics and you really get into it, iHeartRadio is the exclusive audio home for the Olympics. So the only place you can hear live Olympic coverage is on the Art Radio app. So there you go. All right, it's coffee and company. Feel about Thornton's here on Sports seven ninety getting your set for the weekend. Two hours left here, so stick around. We will be joined coming up at four thirty by Brian Edwards, a Vegas insider. We'll get his thoughts on some college football future bets. I know he also has some UFC bets that he's eager to discuss with you guys, So stick around. He'll join us at four thirty. All right. So when it comes to the UH, when it comes to the game on Monday between the Ville and La Familia, I don't know if they're going to sell it out. I think the capacity is going to be fifteen thousand. I think I saw that that's what they're aiming for. So you know, if they we've got a few days until we get to the actual game, and yes or no, John take a guest, do you think they sell out?
Speaker 1: Yes?
Speaker 2: I lean towards yes, But I also kind of feel like it's one of those things that if you were really, if you were into it, you would have already bought a ticket. But again, I don't know. People I procrastinate, like there are probably people that know, hey, there's four thousand tickets left roughly, so I'll wait until the day of So you know, if they say it out, great either even if they don't. The amount of people that have already purchased tickets I suppose are are good. I mean, with it being as rowdy as it was, with what thirty five hundred and four thousand people in some of the games, earlier this week. I mean, it's going to be insane in there, and I think at least right now, fans of both sides are kind of like cautiously lightheartedly into it, if that makes sense, Like, are we really going to be at each other's next about former players playing each other that really has nothing to do with, you know, the current program and the future of the program. I kind of tell myself, no, we won't do that, will we, But you know what, we probably will because we're lunatics about this kind of stuff, you know what I mean, Like anytime it's Louisville Verus Kentucky and anything, there's a level of angst and tension between the two hatred. I think you can use the word hate in sports and know that it's not the same thing as you know, hate in the real world, because let's be honest. I hate to say this, but sports isn't really important. I mean it is, it's very important to like, you know, it's it's such a great distraction from people. Heck, it's it's it's it's some people's career. So maybe I shouldn't say that it's not important, but like it's not, it's it's it doesn't really impact, you know, the greater good of of Well again, I always find it out there because I'm thinking, well, actually, you know what, people would be really sad if they didn't have sports. So anyways, it's you could hate the other side like I have. I hate Kentucky in the sports rivalry way, and I know Kentucky fans hate Louisville in the rivalry way, and I wouldn't have it any other way, and I'm sure they're the same way, you know, But with this, I just feel like it's I don't know, we'll see what happens on Monday, because I feel like whoever ends up on the losing side will like for like, I can probably tell you how it's gonna happen with both sides. If Louisville wins, they're gonna be as you know, cocky and and just you know, they're gonna rub it in because let's be real, I'm a Louisville fan. We haven't had many chances to do that when it comes to basketball, And yes, this is not a real U of l UK game, but it's close enough. And if we can knock off Kentucky's Lot Familia team, you know, I think fans will be justified in you know, letting big Blue Nation know that we got the best of you when it comes to your former players and our former players. And I think Kentucky, if they win, they'll do the arrogant like, I mean, can you believe they thought they'd win. I mean, come on, little brother, they'll do that. And if Louisville loses, I really don't know what the reaction is going to be. I mean, I'm sure people will be upset, but like, I don't know what fans are going to do to like, you know, actually I got it. I think I figured it out. Here's what I believe Kentucky fans or Louisville fans will do if Louisville loses in this game lot familiar. They'll find a way to like remind Kentucky how many great players they had with very little to show for it. That's got to be in the playbook, right, yes, And remind you how happy we are that meeting, Reminding Kentucky fans how happy we are that Col's gone, because even though he couldn't, you know, make deep tournament runs anymore, and he would lose to bums. You know, we always knew he was going to bring an elite talent when that elite talent got you in very little in the grand scheme of things. And now you're not even gonna have that elite talent because you got Mark Poop as your coach. That's probably in the back pocket for some Louisville fans if that if that's you know, if that's the outcome that happens on the Kentucky side, if they lose, they'll just claim that like it's hilarious that Louisville fans think this matters. This wasn't even a real game. This was a pickup game. These are these guys don't care, you know that. That's so we'll see. But I feel like everything I laid out is on the table as far as whatever ends up being the outcome. All right, let's talk football, shall we so? And I want to get to this ACC stuff on the other probably do that at five o'clock, because again, I want to give credit to cel Brown. I think he through something out there that wouldn't be that hard to do and it would really change how people view the future of the ACC. But I want to make sure I manage the clock better here, so Let's let you hear what Matt Ruhle had to say about the Big Ten. And we've talked a lot about that throughout the day as far as coach is just being able to say things that everybody knows is not true, including themselves. And it's just coaches, you know, coaches being coaches. Here is a let me see if I can find it here? Where is it?
Speaker 1: So?
Speaker 2: I've got the clip of fine Baum reacting, but I can't find the actual emit. M me see here, because well, they probably play Let's just do this.
Speaker 4: I think four teams from this league should get in and get in every year because this is the best league. This is the NFL of college football on my mining stretches from coast to coast, different time zones, different weather. That's not to diminish any other league. The SEC is amazing, These other leagues are great, but the challenge in the Big Ten is going to be is going to be really difficult.
Speaker 2: So he says the Big Ten should just to automatically get four teams in the playoff.
Speaker 5: Paul, what do you think of that? Matt?
Speaker 6: Stay in your lane, Okay, job one, win enough games to get to some stupid bowl.
Speaker 1: Game.
Speaker 2: Don't worry about the big boys because you're not one of them.
Speaker 5: We saw what he did in the NFL.
Speaker 6: You were a complete disaster in Carolina. You somehow gott this shop in Nebraska, and you're talking like you belong at the table with Ohio.
Speaker 5: State and Georgia.
Speaker 1: You don't just try to win maybe six games, Quit choking big games on the final play, and leave the punditry to the professionals.
Speaker 5: Thank you.
Speaker 2: So to your point, John, and I'm glad you did mention this beforehand to me off air, of course, is that his claim that the it's the NFL is not because it's it. You know, he didn't act as if they have these non existent accomplishments that would that would make it the best league. But you know, he mentioned the that there's different time zones and coast to coast, different weather like cool, that has nothing. I mean, like, are you saying that it's I mean, if you want to throw out that it's the most diverse league because of how many schools you have across the country coast to coast, like that's fine, But to say that it makes it the best league because that's what he said. Let's go to the beginning of it.
Speaker 4: I think four teams from this league should get in and get in every year because.
Speaker 2: So again, four teams getting in every year because you travel a lot, like that's nonsense.
Speaker 3: No league should be able to claim they should all get any number of h absolutely.
Speaker 2: And really that's where like he started with that. Therefore, that's that's going to get attention anyway, because even even though there will probably be many years where the SEC and the Big Ten potentially gets four teams in, like that's not crazy. You know, it could happen, and I can't tell you that on a year in a year out basis that it wouldn't be justified because, let's be honest, there's some you know, like for example, Texas, Georgia, Ole, miss In Alabama, like it could shake out this year where all those teams make it it's a twelve team playoff. Now again, there's going to be scenarios where that would be really really difficult, but like it's not impossible, and they're all look just like the well, I don't know, maybe the four team playoff. There are teams that can claim that they were just as worthy of getting in but didn't, but those are usually teams that you know aren't gonna actually win the national championship. But there'll be teams in the twelve team format. There'll be teams when it goes to sixteen that you know they don't have the record or the resume, but you know by watching them that they are absolutely good enough to be there because they have the ability. But what the expansion is going to do here is make it to where you've got to go prove it, right, Like that's one of those things in the NAA tournament resume that always annoys me. It's like, yeah, there's all kinds of teams that when people say, you can't tell me that's not one of the sixty eight best teams. That's not what it's about, dumbass. It's about resume. It's about winning. It's about what you did, not what people think you can do based off of, you know, having potential. Like it's the stupidest thing people say about the tournament. You cannot tell me that's not what I could tell you whatever you want, but they didn't win enough games, Like that's what it comes down to. So you know, that's actually something that I think will will will hold true. Here is then when you get to twelve, you know, teams that were that were left out at five, six, and seven, they're in now for the most part, and then from there, you know it's gonna be about resume. So I really do like Matt Rule. I didn't know anything about him. I remember thinking he was a little bit. When I say I like him, I'm not saying he's gonna be a great coach because I don't know. But he he was a Baylor and then before that Temple, and he never really had a great resume. That's one of those things about Matt Rule that like, because the NFL randomly wanted to hire him, that just made everybody think that he's God's gift to coaching. Like when he was coming back from a failed, a miserable thingailure of an experience in the NFL, it was like, well, he'll get any job he wants. But you know, and I know Temple's not great, but you know, he only had he had two winning seasons at Temple and hard to win at Temple, but he also played in the American and then at Baylor he only had one winning season. So as a career head coach, he's fifty two and fifty. You went five and seven in Nebraska and he lost to Colorado. So you know, like I'm not saying he's a terrible coach or he's a great coach, but like when I say I like him, I'm just basing it off of like when he's given he's had some clips from the locker room when he's talking to his team go viral. I think he presents himself pretty well. Like you know, he's pretty pretty sharp, pretty impressive as far as just the way he carries himself. Like I could see him being a really good recruiter. I can see I can see him really commanding his team and being a good leader. But he just hasn't really turned into wins just yet. But you know, like saying things like that, it's just it's silly because because you travel a lot and you have different time zones, like that makes you the best league, It makes you in it. Like now, there was a quote that I saw that I guess was not included in this in this, in this part of it, But let me see if I can pull it up here, because there may be more to it that provides some context because fine Baum, you know, fine Baum reacting the way he did is not so surprising because finn Baum is always going to come after the Big ten like he's so he is. He's humans still that Michigan won the national championship last year, like you know he is, but he he fine Baum has has taken shots at Matt Ruhle, Deon Sanders, Ryan Day and one of those guys have in common the conference they're in, and I think honestly every one of them is worthy of criticism for what they've said. But like fonn Baum's gonna do sec hank things because that's what he's that that's his job. But yeah, I mean if you say things like that as when you're Matt Rule without a whole lot to really show for, I mean again, like I'm not saying he's a bad coach, but nobody can point anything, to point anything out on his resume that makes it to make that makes it justifiable for him to be this guy that people assume could have gotten any NFL job fresh out of a failed experience in the NFL. But if you say things like that, it's going to bring attention to where Paul Fainenbaum can throw out a real fact and bodybag you, which is why don't you worry about getting to a meaningless bowl game, in getting to six wins before you start advocating that your league gets four teams in the playoff, Like it's one thing if if Ryan Day says that right, or even or even Franklin at Penn State, like, it's still gonna get attention. But Matt Rule's a guy that they can say, Look, why are you worried about how many teams get and you ain't getting in? You loser? I mean that's essentially I guess what what faonen Baum said in so many ways, and look that that there are guys that have left college to go be NFL head coaches and they're really and he just didn't make sense. Doug Marone at Syracuse, he was a fine coach at Syracuse. You know, he went four and eight, eight and five, five and seven and eight and five, and yet for some reason that led to him getting the Buffalo Bills job and he you know, didn't win there, He had a losing record. Goes to then he turned that into the Jaguars job and he was their coach when they actually made it to the playoffs and won the AFC South. And you know, After that season, he went five and eleven, six and ten, and one and fifteen. So as a career NFL coach, he's thirty eight and sixty. As a career college coach at QS, he was twenty five and twenty five. Like, again, when does winning actually matter? All right, let's see here, We've got Brian Edwards coming up here in just a few minutes. He'll join us at four point thirty. Looking forward to that conversation. But before we get to break, I want to mention this so I don't forget, and it's not like breaking news, but it's just something to follow if you, you know, if you're a fan of the Ravens, or you just like to see former Louisville Cardinals have success in the NFL. So obviously, Lamar Jackson he's had some success. He's coming off his second MVP season. But Malie Cunningham, they and I do. I givem Alik a lot of credit. He is not somebody that was resistant to moving to a different position. I think he said even during the draft process that he will play wherever he's needed to play if he, you know, if he's a part of an NFL team. So I think they gave him a shot at quarterback with the Patriots, and you know, he ended up he ended up being able to walk and go join the Ravens for the playoffs, which was you know, was a good thing for him. And he's still with him now. But they did convert him at OTAs to receiver. He is now a receiver, and it sounds like he's he's performing well despite you know, playing a new position now. This was to Todd Monkin, the OC for the Ravens, said, this says he's done a great job, further along than what I would have thought when we moved him there. We're like, okay, he's a really good athlete, really smart, gets football, smile on his face every day, Gonna get better in the meeting, but really had some natural route running instincts, balance and body control that I really didn't think he had. He's really done a great job in quote, So look, Malik, the thought of him being a receiver and becoming like a valuable weapon with the Ravens and Lamar finding Malik Cunningham in the end zone, like, that's cool as hell. If that ends up happening, I'm not saying it will, but it sounds like you know, he's impressive so far and might keep. Mean, we'll see. I mean, him getting praise for adapting to the position doesn't mean they're going to keep him and have plans for him to be a part of their offense. But that would be awesome if that's the case. And look, Malik, man, he gets a tough rat because he was good man. His arm wasn't the best, and Malik really struggles struggled with what I think makes guys either pretty good quarterbacks or really good quarterbacks, and it's consistency. He was just not consistent with his arm. Some of the easier plays he struggled with with his arm. And he was not Lamar Jackson, because nobody is. He was pretty damn good at running the ball as well, elusive, quick as can be, good, instincts good. You know, he's a good he's a great athlete and he's got great speed too. So I mean, it wouldn't be the first time that a guy has just accepted, Hey, I'm not going to be a quarterback in the league, but man, I got all the tools to play receiver, and I'm going to have a long and lengthy career and I hope that's what happens with Malik. We'll see all right, quick break Brian Edwards, Vegas Insider. On the other side, he'll talk some college football future bets that he likes, as well as some UFC action from this upcoming weekend. So keep it locked right here. Coffee and Company. Philbou Thornton's on Sports Talk seven ninety. It's right Coffee and Company rolling along here on a Friday afternoon, getting you set for the weekend. Here on Sports Talk seven ninety. We now bring him in. He's Brian Edwards from Vegas Insider. Brian, how we doing, brother, How is Sonny Florida treating you?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 6: All is well, Nick, Thanks for having me and thanks for bringing me in.
Speaker 5: With a little Black Crow. He's one of my favorite band.
Speaker 2: Good stuff there, good stuff, Yeah, Black Crows. They're the best. And you know what else is the best college football and it's right around the corner. I am. I'm super excited once we get to the end of July. We still have a month roughly, but man, it's close enough to where I kind of feel like we're already here and football season h is upon us and I just actually myself started looking over those last couple of weeks at these win totals, looking at some teams that I feel like, you know, may may be worth making a wager as far as going over or under. And I'm curious, are there are there some teams for you that you've already you know, locked in. Hey, I know what I'm doing here as far as these totals.
Speaker 5: Yeah, so I'm on ole Miss to go over nine and a half.
Speaker 6: Now I've had them to go over their win total and back to back seasons successfully. But it's a buch bigger number here. But for me, it's all about the schedule. And I'll get to the schedule in a minute. But just first, personnel wise, I mean ten starters back on offense, ten on defense from a team that win eleven and two. I mean, you lose Quinchawn Judkins, but you know you still have your list as Bentley at running back, you bring in three transfer including Logan Digs, a four star transfer at LSU last year. Rashot Amos, a guy that you know ran for over a thousand yards in the MAC last year. You get Juice Wells, the wide receiver who was first Team All SEC in twenty twenty two but was injured all of last year. You get him at wide receiver, where you already have Trey Harris, one of the best in the nation veteran, and Jordan Watkins, and I think Cayden pre Scorn is one of the best tight ends in the country. And then you beef up the O lines and D lines with you know, veteran guys with good size. I mean, you get a five star transfer at defensive tackle and Walter Nolan from A and M. You add he's an all SEC guy, so as princely, youman Milion from Florida who you're gonna plug in at one of the d N spots.
Speaker 5: And then you look at the schedule and you know they'll.
Speaker 6: Be favored in the first six and favored pretty healthy in those and at LSU I'm.
Speaker 5: Not conceding defeat.
Speaker 6: They are two and a half to three point dog in the Games of the Year, and the only other game they're going to be an underdog in is at home to Georgia, where they're a five and a half point to seven point dog in most books Games of the Year.
Speaker 5: And then you get two weeks to prepare to go to.
Speaker 6: The Swamp while Florida is in the middle of a murderer's row, having played Georgia, Texas and LSU the three previous weeks. So I think it looks great for all Miss to go at least ten and two.
Speaker 5: But again, I'm not conceding to feed in Baton Rouge or at.
Speaker 6: Home to Georgia and uh yeah, ten roles as a favorite. And you know, right now in Games of the Year, the smallest one is Oklahoma at home and ole Miss gets two weeks to prepare.
Speaker 5: For that one.
Speaker 2: Yeah, with Lane Kiff and I kind of feel like they're the trendy team that people say, Okay, now that the playoffs expanded, momentum is on Lane Kiff inside to where they could they could break through and get in. But you mentioned the schedule. I think, you know, it's one of those things that with the SEC expanding, not everybody's gonna have a schedule that is as challenging to where if you end up with a nine to three ten and two, you know that you're gonna get the same level of respect as some other teams. So yeah, I think, I mean, I think Ole Miss is, I think that's a good play as well. I think they're they're good lank Kiffn's got a lot of momentum. But you mentioned the murderers row for Florida as a Florida fan, Brian, are you happy that they've got a very very challenging schedule once again, knowing that you know things don't seem to be going great with old Billy Naps.
Speaker 6: I'm thrilled by it, and I hope it results in the athletic director Scott Strickland better late than never belatedly fired, and uh.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I'm ready for a new regime.
Speaker 6: In fact, I'll mention this on ole Miss and Missouri's schedules, both of those teams who both have a chance to have big seasons. I think either of those teams are I think they're the only SEC teams, Missouri and ole Miss that can go ten and two and not potentially not get into the CFP because you know, if they lose their two toughest games, both of their best wins will be at home to Oklahoma.
Speaker 5: And I don't know, it'll depend.
Speaker 6: On what everybody else does, but yeah, so I want to thread the needle perfectly. I want to ole Miss to go ten and two, win my over nine and a half. But they don't go to the CFP and my Gators hire Lane Kiffen to be.
Speaker 5: The next head coach.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think Florida is a job that he would certainly accept and he man he you know obviously that fan base better than I do. But everybody knows the program and how important that it is to Florida fans in the history and all that stuff. But I kind of feel like it'd be a match made in heaven with him in Gainesville.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 6: Yeah, he wears the visor. He loves furrier. That's why he wears the visor, because he loves.
Speaker 5: Spurger growing up.
Speaker 6: You know, Monty Kiffin did his best work as an NFL coach right down the road in Tampa.
Speaker 5: That's who I want.
Speaker 2: So when it comes to Texas and Oklahoma joining the ACC, I'm not sure if you've given much thought as far as any wager with those two teams when it comes to totals. But you know, how do you expect them to transition? I think Texas, Timmy could not be better for them to make this jump because they're in a great spot with Sark. With Oklahoma, I think it's a bigger question mark. But you know, I get the sense that Texas will probably be competitive and Oklahoma will probably end up being in that middle tier with a lot of other teams.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I think Oklahoma probably got the worst of it schedule wise.
Speaker 6: I mean, they've got to go at Auburn obviously, they got to play Texas in Dallas. They've got to go at Ole Miss when Ole miss has two weeks to prepare, and also Missouri when they go at Missouri. Missouri has two weeks to prepare, and Oklahoma does not have an open date before they go to Oxford and Columbia Missouri. Then they get Alabama at home. Now that's a favorable spot for them. They do get two weeks to prepare for that one in Alabama does not. But then they also got to go at LSU. So Texas got the better end of the schedule in year one. But you know, I'm not really sold on Vinables.
Speaker 2: We'll see how they're same here this year.
Speaker 5: I think Okahoma's got plenty of talent, but uh, that's goot. I mean, I think if they go eight.
Speaker 6: And four, it would be hard to say that's not a quality season.
Speaker 2: Brian Edwards, Vegas Insiders our guests joining us here on Sports Talk seven ninety. Talking some college football wagering, let's talk about Iowa. I saw that they have and one one of the many formulas you can find out there that that two different folks who have their own metrics, their own way of crunching it. They have Iowa favored right now in eleven of their twelve games.
Speaker 5: Is that?
Speaker 2: Is that an intriguing over for you? When it comes to win totals, I think they're sitting at eight.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 6: And so if we skipped the COVID year where they did go six and two, and I don't know what their win total was, they probably went over it. But if we skip that year, six of the last eight seasons for Iowa they've won at least eight during the regular season, and the win totals either seven and a half heavily juiced on the over over or eight flat minus one ten. Either way, I think I prefer it at eight.
Speaker 5: So this team, you know, they only lost eighteen letterman.
Speaker 6: They they went ten to two in the regular season last year despite one of the worst offenses ever. And but they got Kate McNamara back, you know who was giving him better quarterback plays than what they got when he went out.
Speaker 5: There in late September early October.
Speaker 6: They've got a new OC they've got all their running backs returning, but most important eight starters back. From a defense, they gave up only fourteen point eight points per game and somehow, with the help of special teams, won a bunch of ball games despite that just atrocious offense.
Speaker 5: But you nailed it at the start.
Speaker 6: Of this mentioning them they're gonna be favorite and at least ten, maybe eleven the only definitive underdog.
Speaker 5: Spots at Ohio State. And you know, Farnce just wins eight or nine.
Speaker 2: He does. He wins. Man, Yeah, he.
Speaker 5: Wins ball games. It's ugly, but I don't this is money, man, I don't care. I don't even style point. So I just want to cash an over eight ticket.
Speaker 2: So I like, IWA, I'm with you. And they're an interesting case study because they get talked about a lot, but it didn't because they win. I mean you mentioned it for ends. I mean he since twenty fifteen. I mean he's won eight or more games in every season. In fact, he's only had a couple of seasons since then that that they won eight. You mentioned the six and two. That's only because of the light schedule because of COVID. I mean, he wins, but yet anytime they're talked about, it's people making fun of their offense, right.
Speaker 6: And I only said six of eight because on a win total only regular season get shirts out two of those eight win seasons.
Speaker 5: They got the eighth in a bowl game. That's why I said it a little differently.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think this one is is intriguing as well. I think that the more I look at it, the more I feel confident in taking the over of eight there. All right, So when it comes to the lines that we're seeing for games that are early in the season summer a little bit later, I mean, is there anything that really caught your eye as far as these early lines once we actually get to some live action.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 6: Two, the two big ones for me in Week one or Georgia minus thirteen and a half against Clemson. I think they're gonna mash Clempson sort of like they did Bo Nicks and Oregon and the opener two years ago at the same venue in Atlanta. And I think the national narrative coming out of Week one, or the main national narrative will be what a knucklehead Dabo is.
Speaker 5: For not using the portal. I think Georgia thumps them.
Speaker 6: I think at minus fourteen or fewer, that's a gift on the Bulldogs. And I also think the exact same thoughts about Virginia Tech at Vandy. Vandy saw like you know, I don't know, maybe eight of its top ten players hit the portal and leave. Now we'll give them credit getting Diego Pavia underrated, unsung transferred quarterbacks from New Mexico States.
Speaker 2: Hell, yeah, I'm a big fan. There were a lot of standalone games last year, and that guy could ball out.
Speaker 6: Yeah, Hugh Freeze, Nemesis and the fans of Jordan here are not big fans of Diego Pavia.
Speaker 5: But with that said, Bandy's gonna be horrible.
Speaker 6: I think Clark Lee is gonna get fired, and I think Votech is a potential sleeper.
Speaker 5: In the a c C. I love their quarterback kyon Drones. They finished the year really strong.
Speaker 6: They've got a strong pass rush, a lot of guys coming back on defense. So I think vo Tech and Georgia are the best Week one picks and Week zero not nearly as strong of an opinion, but I lean to Georgia Tech at plus thirteen right.
Speaker 5: Now, maybe maybe wait around.
Speaker 6: See if you can get thirteen and a half and by the half point to the key number of fourteen, because that is, you know, another month away just about.
Speaker 5: But I like Georgia Tech a little bit in that game.
Speaker 2: Yeah, george Tech's got some momentum. They had a good, a good year last year, you know, for for where they had been prior to that. So I like that one as well. I know we want to talk to UFC and we're gonna do that, but I don't know. I don't know if you ever get in on any of these kind of wagers, but there are some odds out there available for the first head coach to be fired. Not sure if you if you've seen any of these and find value or maybe you just maybe you just have an opinion who you know will be the first guys at your guy?
Speaker 6: Well, you know that eiiier part of Florida schedule is early, and I think they've got a good chance to beat A and M.
Speaker 5: And Miami at home.
Speaker 6: Now if they were to lose both of those, uh, it could be a mid to late October thing, but somebody usually gets fired before then. Sam Pittman has so Napier is the favorite at plus four hundred at least the odds.
Speaker 5: I saw it bet online yesterday.
Speaker 6: Sam Pittman at Arkansas plus five hundred, and then you got Crystal Ball plus six hundred, Rand at Baylor plus seven hundred, clark Lee plus eight hundred, Kalonie Sataki at by US ten to one.
Speaker 5: You know, clark Lee might be might be worth a flyer. Yeah, at plus eight hundred. And I know they have a ball State at home.
Speaker 6: And alcorn State at home pretty early in the season, and they should get two w's there.
Speaker 5: But when they lose, I think they're gonna lose pig.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm this could happen. I mean, I'm not predicting it, but they can Sam Pittman early for whatever, you know, maybe because they lose to somebody they're just not supposed to lose to. And Bobby Patrino gets the nod to finish the rest of the season. You know, they they get to a bowl and they consider keeping him around. I mean, crazier things have happened in college football. I wouldn't expect that Bobby would have a lot of success. I think he's his best coaching days or in the rear view. But man, just him being there is is really odd. But you know, college footballs given us a lot of unexpected things that have happened. All right, let's talk UFC three oh four. Which way you leaning on some of these some of these fights? Which ones you feel good about?
Speaker 1: Well?
Speaker 6: I feel good about everything Tom aspinall other than John Jones, if, if, and when he ever gets back in the on again, I think John Jones the only guy that can really give aspinall a challenge.
Speaker 5: He's only loss in the UFC came to Curtis Blaze. This is a.
Speaker 6: Remap, but the only reason he lost is he drew a leg kick and blew his knee out and went to the canvas and the fight got called fifteen seconds in. Aspinal has got the shortest average fight time in UFC history in any weight.
Speaker 5: Class, two minutes and ten seconds thirteen is.
Speaker 6: Fourteen career wins have come in the first round, and eleven have come in ninety five seconds or fewer.
Speaker 5: So I like the prop bet for Asminau.
Speaker 6: To win in round one, which is anywhere from like plus one oh five to minus one ten. And then I also like him to win by ko, which is around minus one forty to minus one sixty. I would risk less on that just because of the juice, you know, the chalky price.
Speaker 5: Those are my two favorite. You know. I want balal.
Speaker 6: Mohammad to you know, or I'm sorry, I want Leon Abwards to champ in the main event, to get some more action and be able to get a better price than balal Mohammed tomorrow. If that thing gets to plus two to fifty, I'll put a little bit on Mohammed Jika Chikatse is a plus two hundred dog.
Speaker 5: It's sort of interesting.
Speaker 6: I'm considering that, but I still need to study some over unders.
Speaker 5: But the Asthminal is really the only one.
Speaker 6: Those two bets on Aspenall to win in round one and buy Ko or Tko, those are the ones that I would that I feel great about telling your listeners get on these great stuff.
Speaker 2: As always, Brian, appreciate the time. We'll continue to stay in touch obviously as we get closer to college football season, and I'll hit you up next week when I'm in your area.
Speaker 5: Right, let's do it, Dick. Thanks for having me and I'll talk to you in.
Speaker 2: The next week, all right, take care. That's Brian Edwards from Vegas Insider, always really good stuff and man, the first summer convo with our man b Edwards, it lets you know we're getting closer, folks. Football season is going to be here before you know it. All Right, we gotta get to a quick break. We'll come back on the other side, wrap up the four o'clock hour as we take you up till six o'clock and you set for the weekend right here on Sports Talk seven to ninety. I've not been plugged in much at all to what's going on with UK stuff, and you know, I usually am not, you know, on the edge of my seat trying to keep up with, you know, off season stuff with Mark Pope and Mark Stoops, but I feel like it's been a relatively quiet summer for them. And the comments from Mark from Mark Stoops earlier this week that I guess took place last I don't know. I assume those were articles written by Adam Luckett and Darryl Byrd. I assume those were from conversations that Stoops had with media members at the SEC Media Days, or I don't know, maybe it was a recent sit down that he did with those two. I'm not quite sure, but I really feel as if those those comments would have generated more reaction, not because you know, everybody's got to either be pissed off or defend Stoops, but it's just that that's not that's not a normal thing that you you hear a coach a coach say in that position as far as just like hey, and it really, in my opinion, it really speaks to just how he's a made man there and he can say that kind of stuff and it's it's whatever to him, and it's whatever to most of their fans. And I'm not same fan should be demanding that he gets fired. But it's just an unusual thing that I feel like would have been a bigger conversation. And for those who who don't know what I'm referencing when talking about the nil and the portal and all the work that Stoop specifically claims he's doing himself alone, it's clearly taking a toll on him. It's stressing him out. And a lot of times coaches say stuff in the media for a reason because they think that by saying certain things it could it could cause action from others to potentially help them or take notice or really put it out there the way you feel. Right, you can have a conversation with your boss in private, but if it's out there for everybody to know how you feel, then maybe there'll be more pressure on your boss from everybody around to do what's needed. But you know, here are the quotes. I have one hundred free agents every six months. You don't think there's pressure of raising money to keep them and to pay them what they deserve and to help them. And I've done this two to three years now completely alone. I get no help none. I feel very isolated, very alone. I'll be honest, I don't know how long I can take dealing with that, what I've dealt with myself personally, I can only do so much. I've never felt this kind of stress and pressure. I can't coach the way I want to coach, because all I do is raise money or try to raise or try to raise money. You go through all the frustration and even panic. How do I raise the money? I feel very isolated on how to do it. But if I don't raise it, it won't get done. So I don't want to act like this is something you know bigger than what it is is. If there should be like a discipline for Mark Stoops because I don't believe that. But we on the same page, like that's not normal for a coach to go to that length as far as frustration with the new world that is college football, with the portal and withinnile Like to me, I think that's him saying somebody needs to help me, like I need somebody. I need I need more resources to raise this money and have somebody else do it there so I can actually, you know, so I can coach. I mean, he's essentially saying, hey, I want everybody to know I can't do my job anymore the way I want to. I'm going to give it my best, but you know I can't. I can't coach the way I want to coach because I'm spending too much time raising money.
Speaker 3: I think that's why you saw people commenting on that post that he's gonna end up being like a decordinator in the NFL next year.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I mean, here's what I think, and I could be wrong. Stoops has apparently been a very very good businessman with investments and you know, he makes a lot of money, and he also has other sources of income from a bourbon line that he has, and you know, he's been pretty wise with his money, and he rolls around with some other people that have probably invested in stuff with him. I mean, I think that's how him and Rick Tito got to know each other investing. I think it's in horse racing. But either way, like I think, if Stoops walks away, I think he retires. I just think he didn't coach because why would he want to go be a coordinator and make less money than he's making, I mean significantly less money than he's making in Kentucky. And he's younger, you know. But I kind of feel like, you know, he's either going to coach at Kentucky forever or he'll be out before too long because he wants to do something. He just wants to move on. Maybe I'm wrong. All right, we got the five o'clock hour coming your way. So five o'clock on a Friday, you know what that means, good vibes as we get you set for the weekend. So stick with us right here. It's coffee and company fueled by Thornton's on Sports Talk seven ninety