Speaker 1: Thought start the show today with a question for each of you if you don't mind sharing a little bit into your personal life. By the way, it is the JB and Sandy our I'm Sandy and this is JB.
Speaker 2: Hello. Tricia's here as well. Hi. Everybody who wants.
Speaker 1: To share the last photo in their photo their camera roll on their phone?
Speaker 2: Tricia, what is yours? Oh?
Speaker 3: Okay, hold on, all right, it's my mom's dog, Dom. We hold it up to the camera so I can see it. Yeah, it's my mom's dog on that weird filter that makes their people's faces look longer. And at Landry's holding the fingers up right, lad, your head rabbit ears behind her head? Billy, how longer noses?
Speaker 2: Scoot it over a little bit towards the center. There you go.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's funny.
Speaker 2: Jabi, what's the last photo in your camera roll? Photo role?
Speaker 4: Let's see? Oh this kind of has a funny story. So can you see that it's a it's a spinometer a litre.
Speaker 2: On the motorcycle?
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeh yeah, yeah, okay, yeah yeah yeah. And can you see the mileage? You probably can't see the mileage.
Speaker 2: I can't see it.
Speaker 4: The mileage is two zero zero zero two.
Speaker 2: Twenty thousand and two.
Speaker 4: It is so funny because so it's a nineteen ninety eight BMW motorcycle. And I was at like, I went for a ride the other day and I was like, oh, oh man, I'm almost about to turn over twenty thousand miles. Yeah, I was at like nineteen nine nine eight, and I was like, I need to wherever it hits twenty thousand, I need to pull over and take a.
Speaker 2: Picture and share it. That's just cool.
Speaker 4: Yeah, right between nine nine eight and two twenty two, I forgot.
Speaker 2: You forgot.
Speaker 3: That is the.
Speaker 4: Epitome of what it's like to be eighty D. Just within a couple miles of watching a turnover. I completely forgot about this mission to let it turnover and stop wherever.
Speaker 2: I am and take a picture.
Speaker 1: Yesterday I told you JB was great at keeping secrets because he forgets.
Speaker 3: Because he forgets everything. That would be a great entry in your diary of Perpetual disappointments, JB. If you had one. You came to getting twenty thousand miles, but you didn't, And now you can always remember that you're disappointed with twenty thousand and two.
Speaker 4: Oh so that was your motorcycle. I didn't even had one. Yeah, it's an older one. It's in nineteen ninety eight. It's that's cool, not fancy or anything. I usually just go to coffee shops and stuff. R Let me ask you a question about that motorcycle, JB.
Speaker 1: Because I remember when you had a motorcycle before, and you never had a motorcycle license. Do you have a motorcycle license for this?
Speaker 2: The answer is yes.
Speaker 4: I gotten around to that read calling out, dude, I do need to do that. That's BSL.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Sandy, is yours dirty? I feel like your stuff is dirty my picture, No, it's not, but it's very revealing of me.
Speaker 2: Really.
Speaker 1: But by the way, Jabi, just so we're even Stephen on things that aren't up to date. My registration on my car expired in December and I haven't done that.
Speaker 3: Yet, and it'll be two years before he gets it renewed, because that's what you did with this last registration.
Speaker 1: The problem is that I had a headlight go out, and I'm in the last part, like, we don't have to get inspections anymore, but you did if it was in December, so I have to get an inspection and I've got a low being headlight that's out, and I've got the light bulb, but I'm too afraid to try to change it myself because I'm sure, like many other things, all make matters worse.
Speaker 2: So YouTube, man, YouTube, I've done that. I've looked.
Speaker 4: I've got the year, make and model change light bulb. Someone has done it.
Speaker 1: I've gotten Yeah, I've got my neighbor Rob across the street, who's real handy, and I asked him if he would help me, and he said he would, so I'm gonna have to see him out anyway.
Speaker 2: Anyway.
Speaker 1: My last photo on my phone is a screenshot of the code that I can get from my pancake points that I hop in any breakfast combo nation. My God, because I've accumulated my pancake points at the I Hop in Cedar Park and I wanted to make sure I would get it again, so the next time I go in, I will get a free breakfast combo from the I Hop.
Speaker 3: He was so proud of his pancake points JB m H.
Speaker 2: I collect him super No, Why wouldn't I do that? You know what I mean?
Speaker 5: Right?
Speaker 3: They must be those high protein pancakes since you're on your fitness journey, right.
Speaker 1: Oh, I don't need the pancakes. I don't need to throw them on the floor. I don't eat them.
Speaker 2: They just looks. That's not true. I just look at him. I never eat them.
Speaker 3: So so here's an interesting fact talking about photos in our camera roll. I saw an article recently said that the typical person has about sixteen hundred photos on their camera roll.
Speaker 2: Sixteen one hundred. Only sixteen hundred, I've did sound like very much. No, I thought it could be a lot more.
Speaker 1: It's kind of funny that you mentioned that because the other day was on the flight Saturday back from Nebraska. I always use the flight to clean out my camera roll. I was like, something to do that doesn't require Wi Fi and I can delete, And I have like just over a thousand of them that were on there.
Speaker 2: So I'm below average. A thousand photos. A thousand photos? Yeah, what about JB. Well, I'm looking.
Speaker 4: You know, they move things around on you all the time. So if I look to my library, it has a total number of items. Is that what you're talking about? Yes, yeah, thirty three thousand, holy lah and fourteen is that a lot mine has?
Speaker 3: My library is twenty six thousand, three hundred and thirty three.
Speaker 2: But if you.
Speaker 3: Scroll down, it'll break up like the number of videos and number of selfies and photos. But still I'm at well close to five thousand photos.
Speaker 1: You guys both need to get Amazon Photos where it offloads to a free Amazon account unlimited storage. If you have Amazon Prime, it just syncs up with your every time you get online.
Speaker 2: I won't have to pay for the iCloud storage and right it's free with Amazon, and it's unlimited.
Speaker 1: Now the video is limited on Amazon Photos, but not the not the photos, and it just sinks up and just sends it like I can delete all my stuff and it's already in the cloud with Amazon.
Speaker 4: Here's the one that drives people crazy. You know, on your I don't know where it is on an Android, but on an Apple, like it'll show you how many unread messages you have on yours?
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yep, now you doing on that? Sand How do I get to that?
Speaker 3: Just go back and look at your mail, your little mail icon and what's the red number say of unrads?
Speaker 2: Mm hmm yeah yeah, y'all go ahead and do that while I figured this out. Go ahead, trust I have forty six hundred and ninety.
Speaker 6: Oh god, topic, that makes my whole body itch. I have two and that's because they just came in in the last five minutes.
Speaker 2: Oh my god.
Speaker 1: Oh really six hundred in my inbox. Okay, in my okay one thousand, five hundred and thirty. But all mail, all male sixteen thousand, one hundred and eighty three.
Speaker 2: How do you find all mail? I don't think I want to know that.
Speaker 1: And yeah, that's like all your boxes, like my iCloud everything, my Gmail, My iHeart all that stuff.
Speaker 3: You guys, you don't aren't worried that that might be important information.
Speaker 2: That you missed that you didn't open. No, I'm not worried about it at all. Seem worried this light Wow, I don't freak out. Freak out, Sandy. You also have a lot of unread text.
Speaker 3: I feel like I see that on your by your little text bubble two that I do.
Speaker 2: I'm real good at picking the ones to read.
Speaker 1: Tricia deletes everything JB Like she reads a text message then deletes it.
Speaker 4: My wife's the same way. She's very organized. On top of all of it.
Speaker 3: I use my inbox as a like a reminder of it to do things. So if it's in my inbox, it's because I have to do something with it, and when I finished it, I either delete it or I move it to a folder. I would pass that if I had forty six hundred.
Speaker 1: Well, by the way, with the last this last update with iPhone, but the previous one, if you're a Gmail user, they changed all of that up. It's like completely different and I do not like it. I liked it the way it was. There's probably a way to get back to doing that, but I just don't know how. So this is email talk on the JB and Sandy Show. Thanks for being with us today, photos on your phone and emails. Riveting conversation on a Wednesday night. So we're glad you're with Tricia. What do you have coming up? Oh, later on the show, we're going to talk to a woman. Her name's Ali, and there is a sober festival. It's the third annual coming up, and she's going to tell us more about that and just a little bit. Also, I got the greatest not only parenting advice something you could tell your kids, but something else for you guys to really make life a lot easier from you and it's from a guy by the name is Scott Galloway.
Speaker 2: Are you familiar with him? Jabe?
Speaker 1: Really, we got that coming up too, so stick around. But what do you have coming up with the story We love?
Speaker 2: Tresh.
Speaker 3: We're going to talk about a new future that Instagram is rolling out that so far is proving to be incredibly unpopular.
Speaker 2: People are not happy. Tricia's got the story we love in just a moment. Have you guys been on three sixty lately south of the bridge. Oh? Yeah, by all that construction. What a mess it is. It's a mess.
Speaker 1: I was caught up in that yesterday just looking around. That's exactly what I said, Jab, I go, what a mess people? And I can't figure out what they're doing. Does anyone know?
Speaker 2: I think they're making Westlake Drive go under three sixty.
Speaker 1: Oh, all the way up and it's but they're doing the work all the way back up to the bridge. Oh, Westlake Drive over there where it loops around.
Speaker 4: Uh yeah, Westlake Drive, it cuts where it cuts across.
Speaker 2: There by Jack Allen's and all that.
Speaker 3: Oh I heard, am I I might be getting my roads mixed up at where they talking about putting a toll.
Speaker 2: Laye in on three sixty.
Speaker 1: That's what it looks like. That's what it looks like. I don't know, but I mean it's they're not close to being done.
Speaker 4: Remember how I remember how easy breezy in the nineties.
Speaker 2: It used to be to use three sixty. Oh, it was great, it all the time, right, Yeah, I remember coming to work.
Speaker 1: I lived off of Mountain Ridge and I just went one block and I was on three sixty and then straight down three sixty to West Lake.
Speaker 2: It was great.
Speaker 4: Now would take an hour we get off the we'd get off the air and drop the boat in the lake. Remember, and we do nobody out there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it would just be us out there thinking we were cool, smoking cigars and drinking a ton of beer.
Speaker 2: It was a lot of fun. I'll tell you that. The stories we love.
Speaker 3: So Instagram is trying out a new feature that so far has proven to be incredibly unpopular. And I feel like I've heard about this before. They're testing a dislike button.
Speaker 2: And remember I.
Speaker 3: Feel like Facebook did it and it was a thumbs down. People went nuts. And Instagram is trying the dislike button. It's just a down arrow and people said, it's like they want to continue to see us argue and hate each other. And people are saying it's like they're making it even easier for people to bully people online.
Speaker 4: That's interesting because I because the way I was thinking of it, it's like, oh, does this help my algorithm of getting the stuff that I want right?
Speaker 2: Right? And we've just accepted that.
Speaker 4: Now we've accepted that they know who we are, they know what we like, They know wet like having a dislike button. If that helps us figure out what content you want to see and don't see, maybe not such a horrible thing, right.
Speaker 3: What their justification is is by putting the button next to a real or a feed post, it's for people to privately signal that they don't feel good about that particular comment or find it relative. They're saying that it's really more for a small group of people. All I know is that from being on the Internet is that people don't like something. They will go out of their way to let you know they don't like what your post says or the picture that you posted. So I feel like it's just a waste of time. The button or no button. People are very good at making sure you know what they don't like.
Speaker 1: But it's with Reddit. It's very much that way. There's an up arrow and a down arrow. You upvote it or downloaded, and that determines where it shows up in that particular feed, that that subreddit that you're in. It says what everyone is talking about or liking or commenting on.
Speaker 2: But what's funny about social media is, you.
Speaker 1: Know a lot of people, us included, we don't live and die by likes on Facebook or Instagram, but they're nice to get. And if you think about it's really difficult to get likes on a post. But if you think about the physical activity it takes someone to like your post, you can't even get them to lift their finger and just tap a button on a screen for you, you know what, for you for something that you crafted and you've thought about and you proof read, possibly ran through AI all these things and they won't even lift a finger.
Speaker 3: And they probably like it that they won't like it lurkers, that's what you got.
Speaker 2: There is a lot, a lot of them.
Speaker 1: So, but I bet that finger's not as heavy for a dislike button, you know what I mean?
Speaker 2: Just kind natural, Yeah, people.
Speaker 3: It reminds me, Sandy of the Ricky Gervais stand up routine about the guitar lessons. Oh my god, Jaby, I love Ricky Gervase. I love him, And he did this bit about people being on social media. He said, it's like somebody who walks into a park and picks up a flyer that has phone numbers at the bottom, saying, I offer guitar lessons.
Speaker 2: Call me if you'd like guitar lessons. Somebody walks by and.
Speaker 3: Sees it and is furious and calls the number and says I don't want guitar lessons.
Speaker 2: At his point is like keep walking, just walk away. People will go.
Speaker 3: Out of their to type this is the stupidest post I've ever seen.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he compared Twitter to the town Square in the town bulletin board. Yeah, someone's offering guitar I don't want them.
Speaker 2: They call you to tell you they don't want them. When they get to just cut blocking. If I didn't know you were going to do that, I could have had that clip ready to go. But yeah, I didn't know you had that clip. Oh sorry, sorry, you have to look it up your own selves. Friends.
Speaker 1: All right, that's the story. We love Stay with us. We've got more coming up. It's Austin's eighty station one O three point one. There's a cool event coming to Austin. It's in its third year and we have one of the organizers and spokespersons from it.
Speaker 2: Her name is Ali Fleming.
Speaker 1: She joins us, Hey, Ali, Hi, how are you good? Tell everybody about your event. This is a particular interest to me, and I think it's great what you're doing, and I hope it's a huge success.
Speaker 7: Oh, thank you so much.
Speaker 2: Sure.
Speaker 5: So this is our third annual event. It's called Recovery Takeover. It is a collaboration between two organizations. So we have Recovery ATX, which provides no cost peer support services to the Central Texas community, and then we have SIMS Foundation, which provides mental health and substance used to support to those in the music and entertainment industries. We've come together collaboratively to produce what we're calling again Recovery Takeover.
Speaker 2: This year.
Speaker 5: We're so excited because we're having it at Empire Control Room and Garage off Red River and Seventh Street, and we have some really great headliners.
Speaker 7: So we have Whetis.
Speaker 5: If y'all remember a teenage dirt bag from the early two thousands.
Speaker 7: We also have the unlikely candidates in Angel White.
Speaker 5: So we've really elevated the talent this year, we've really elevated the community engagement, and we're really looking forward to bringing this to south By Southwest week.
Speaker 2: Okay, that was my next question. And when is it?
Speaker 5: It is the Sunday after south By Southwest, So south By Southwest typically goes till Saturday evening and we are late afternoon kind of daytime show on Saturday March sixteenth, or wait, sorry, Sunday March sixteenth.
Speaker 1: And Alie, what kind of It's interesting because this is a sober event, it's a drug and alcohol free event, and I'm curious what kind of crowds do you drop for this?
Speaker 2: Is it? Is it huge?
Speaker 7: It's huge.
Speaker 5: So the reason we sought out Empire Control and Control Room this year is because we needed a bigger venue. The venue we had been utilizing in the past on twelfth in Chicon we outgrew. And the reality is is we get people that are in recovery. We also get people that are friends or loved ones of people in recovery. We get people that are people that are recovery adjacent. We get treatment centers, we get people that are sober curious, which is very in vogue. We also get people generally we support multiple pathways. So what that means is we also get people who maybe choose to abstain from one substance but not another because they're able to use that one safely. But really, this is open to anyone who has been curious about recovery or is in recovery, or knows someone or love somebody in recovery.
Speaker 1: So I've been sober for February was nine years and here's something interesting that you'll find is once like when you're when you find out a lot of other people are sober too, That's what I'm getting at. You find out like people that you know or have been around, but you didn't know, And then this is great, this event like this, like I'm going to go to it and I'm going to know a lot of people there, but I'm not.
Speaker 2: I didn't know.
Speaker 1: I don't know the whole story. You knew him, I didn't know I knew him, And.
Speaker 4: It's probably a lot of the same people you were running around with twenty five years ago in a completely different setting.
Speaker 2: Right right exactly.
Speaker 4: So I got to say this all it's interesting because it's part during south By or south By is wrapping up, because that's got to be a chance one of the most challenging times for someone seeking sobriety in Austin, Texas, because the city just turns upside down for three weeks or two weeks.
Speaker 2: Or whatever it is.
Speaker 4: It's a it's a it's got to be one of the most challenging when every every office, every parking lot is turned into a party like it's it's really bizarre. It's hard to explain to people who've never been a part of it. But maybe is that somewhat intentional Let's do it at the most difficult time for people.
Speaker 5: It's absolutely intentional. And I'm going to tell you something about our team. Two of our members, including myself, our previous south By Southwest employees, absolutely love and support the event. But I'll tell you of someone that was stepping towards recovery as a south By employee. That two week period was really difficult because you're right there are there's free booze on every corner, really is, and then we have an influx of people from all over the nation and even the world, and with that comes you know, a different different substances as well, and so it was absolutely intentional. It was in a way, an event to provide access to you know, March Festival week for people that are that are in recovery or interested in that lifestyle.
Speaker 2: So it's a way for.
Speaker 3: Them to still be able to participate in that vibe that's going on in Austin, but doing in a safe way that doesn't challenge them.
Speaker 2: Would you say that it is like a family more family friendly event.
Speaker 3: I remember we would take our daughter to some music festivals and she would freak out with like people drunk, screaming, falling.
Speaker 2: Down, you know what I mean. Like, would you say it's a family friendly festival?
Speaker 7: Absolutely, so we are.
Speaker 5: Our event starts at three pm in the afternoon, so it's an accessible time and then people under twelve years old are able to come in free of charge.
Speaker 7: So our family is invited, and we're going to have a lot.
Speaker 5: Of interactive art stuff, so kind of things that you can take instagramy photos by or engage with in a creative way, and so there will be a lot of things that children could enjoy if they were interested. It'll still be a rock show though, sure.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, you know it's a great event and I think it's going to do very very well, and I love that you're having it at the end of south By Southwest. And you know, it's one thing like sober people, we learn that you have to live in a world where there is alcohol.
Speaker 2: You just have to.
Speaker 1: You can't get away from that, but you just learn not to drink it or not participate in it, and which gets easier over time for some but at the event like this, everyone's doing the same thing, you know what I mean, it's just a little bit easier when everybody tell me about You said that sober Curious is very in vogue right now.
Speaker 2: Tell me about that, sir.
Speaker 4: So.
Speaker 5: One of the things that we're doing a little bit, or we're increasing involvement with this year is non alcoholic beverage.
Speaker 7: Companies, which in the last few years have really kind of blown up.
Speaker 5: You can find them all these restaurants have non alcoholic beverages now or mocktails, and so we've really engaged with a lot of those companies to bring them in. We're going to have non alcoholic beverages or mocktails served at the bars.
Speaker 7: And listen, I'm thirty five years old.
Speaker 5: But I've heard that the youth don't engage in alcohol like they used to.
Speaker 2: If I've heard that too.
Speaker 5: So when I think of sober curious, I think of somebody that maybe one still live a sober lifestyle, but hasn't necessarily had like the health or behavioral consequences as someone that's seeking recovery more for a emotional, mental, psychological, or spiritual level, but still is curious about abstinence or some form of not having a substance in your life in a frequent base, on a frequent basis.
Speaker 1: So you're seeing more and more young people moving that direction. Boy, they don't drink like we did, that's for sure. I mean I don't think they could.
Speaker 2: I think I told you recently.
Speaker 4: Like Athletic Brewing is one of the top ten brewers in the US.
Speaker 2: Non alcoholic beer. Oh is it? Yeah? It's done really well. Have you had it? TB? Yeah?
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, they're Their whole point was just because it's a non alcohol beer doesn't need to taste like garbage beer. Right, they're crushing it. They're crushing it. They're doing really well. It's good timing.
Speaker 2: Again.
Speaker 1: The event is called recovery takeover. It is the Sunday at the end of south By Southwest, and help me again with that date.
Speaker 2: Ally March sixteenth, day before.
Speaker 1: Saint Patrick's date, and it is tell me, tell everybody again where it's going to be.
Speaker 7: Empire Control Room and Garage from three to nine pm.
Speaker 1: All right, all I can't let you go without saying, I love your glasses.
Speaker 7: Oh my gosh, thank you.
Speaker 2: They're new.
Speaker 1: They're very like nineteen seventies cool. I love it, very very cool.
Speaker 7: So hey, I'm always going for cool. So I appreciate.
Speaker 2: That you got it.
Speaker 1: This time, I definitely got it. And we'll see at the event. Thanks for spending some time with us. We appreciate it.
Speaker 7: Thank you guys so much. We'll speak to you soon.
Speaker 2: Need extra cash in your life?
Speaker 4: The thousand dollars pay day is back this morning at nine