Speaker 1: We're Tarma Lorenzo and this is the Pop Style Opinion Fest. Hello, Kitten's welcome back to another edition of the PSO. I am the Tea and your tea low Tom Fitzgeryld and I'm here with the loan and your tea. Let Lorenz and my cousin, I love the husband.
Speaker 2: And we're here. We're tab Hunter on the table, on the table. It's always here. It's so cute. We set up the equipment, we sit down, and then he jumps on the tabe immediately.
Speaker 1: Tab Hunter is our twenty two pound ginger boy cat.
Speaker 2: He is the sweetest boy.
Speaker 1: He loves us. I have to apologize. The air conditioning has kicked in big time this week, and I have air conditioning voice, which I get every summer in the beginning.
Speaker 2: Right now, I can't stand it.
Speaker 1: I apologize for my rast people, but I sound a little bit like Dale Dickey on Widow's Bay So lesbian. We'll get into that. In fact, let's map out this podcast. We're gonna do a little bit of TV talking. Well, I'm gonna do a little bit of TV talk because there's Doctor Who News and I have opinions on it. Lorenzo has no opinion.
Speaker 2: On it, have no clue what so he will get.
Speaker 1: To sip his tea while I speak. Then we're going to jump in on some celebrity stuff, some of which is TikTok fueled, some of which is just in the air.
Speaker 2: It.
Speaker 1: We're going to talk about the celebrities who are courtside of the next games. We're going to talk about the latest hated rivalry, freaking fan controversy, stupid shit, and what else are we talking about? Drag Race Yes, Jenks monsoon she's gonna be on the West End. Well, she is on the West End, and just sort of the question of whether or not drag Race is actually are good at sussing out talented queens. And we'll end the podcast with a little discussion on the latest episode of Widows Bay, which we weren't planning on talking about, but there are I need to unpack a theory, So in order to do that, we'll do that at the end of the episode because it'll be all spoiler of the latest episode. My favorite uh yeah, absolutely my favorite show on my show on right now that I'm like, oh my god, there's a new episode today, and I just know.
Speaker 2: That never happened.
Speaker 1: Well, it does, but like with Widows Bay, I I actually didn't wasn't a late adopter of Widow's Bay. I think like the second week maybe I had heard about it and I started watching it. But you know, these these seasons are relatively long, and the show just when you fall in love with the show, it's over.
Speaker 2: I know. But anyway, we'll talk more about it.
Speaker 1: But whatever, they are clearly setting up a season two, so oh.
Speaker 2: My god, they better and we are.
Speaker 1: Happy planning our trip to Ireland.
Speaker 2: In Scotland and Scotland we've been on.
Speaker 1: A Belfast place.
Speaker 2: Oh God, forgot to talk to you about that. But anyway, I'm glad I'm not going there.
Speaker 1: We have friends in North yeah though.
Speaker 2: Anyway, it's we've been to Ireland before, it's our first time in Scotland. I'm very excited about it, and I want to thank every one of you who emailed me. Us uh would suggest so.
Speaker 1: You emailed him please. I barely looked at them.
Speaker 2: I know they were like, this is a long random it's so cute. Anyway, so thank you so much for the emails and suggestions. I really appreciate it because you guys live there you know it's it's it's better to get suggested from local. You know, they know they know the places. Anyway, Thank you so much. I can't wait to go. It looks like paradise. It looks such like such a beautiful place.
Speaker 1: I know, I can't wait to go to. I'm getting very excited. But we are flying out on July fourth, which is saying of us, But I need to reiterate that we live three blocks from the Liberty Bill and Independence Hall and it's all ready.
Speaker 2: To getting crazy.
Speaker 1: I know it's not. I mean, Phillies July fourth celebrations are always great, but they they they're never as big as New York's and Washington d C's, which is kind of unfair because we're the whole point. But what Ebbs. But this year, this year, I can tell. I mean, the crowds are already coming, and I just want to be out of here. I do not want to be in the neighborhood when all this sure.
Speaker 2: Cleaning up everything, of fixing stuff, everything's new flowers and pots.
Speaker 1: I mean, they're trying to spruce it up. Could be wrong. I love now my neighborhood.
Speaker 2: I love my neighborhood, yes, but.
Speaker 1: Just as an aside. The shots of that fighting cage on the White House lawn. It is actually breaking my brain every time I look at it them I'm like that, what that does not compute?
Speaker 2: No, it's it's it's disgraceful. It's sad. That's the word I'm going to use right now, it's said.
Speaker 1: And I I really don't believe that the people who support this thing actually support it. I don't think they look at that and go, yeah, that's what America is all about, that's what the White House should be. They just want to piss off people like us. They want to piss off.
Speaker 2: Well, at this point, I don't give a ship what they think anymore. It's great.
Speaker 1: Did you see what the ringside? The ringside? Betsy Ross, I don't.
Speaker 2: I'm done trying to decipher these motherfuckers. So I'm done. I'm done. I just don't want.
Speaker 1: Don't say that.
Speaker 2: I just want to fight them, that's all. I don't care how they feel or think anymore, because it doesn't change, doesn't matter anyway anyway.
Speaker 1: All right, moving on to uh less contentious topics. I did want to talk briefly about Doctor Who, which you know I'm a fan of I have written extensively about over the years. I have a lot of opinions on it and this development. Russell T. Davies, who has been the showrunner for the last couple of years, and who returned to the show several years back after he relaunched it in two thousand and five and made it an international hit, brought success to the franchise that it had never really had before, and re energized it for the twenty first century. He brought it back after something like a sixteen year hiatus or was it that long, Yeah, it was sixteen years, nineteen eighty nine. So I think, on one hand, Russell T. Davies deserves a lot of consideration from the fandom of Doctor Who, like he has really he brought that character, put him back on the you know, set him on a road towards a level of popularity that he had never had before. And then he came back and then he he made a lot of creative decisions that I simply I was like, what are we doing here? Most of which is unpacked. I did review most of the of his work the two seasons. I didn't do every episode because it got really repetitive and as I said near the end of the I think in the last recap we did, I said, we didn't do every episode because we just didn't want to complain all the time. It would have been nothing but complaints.
Speaker 2: So he.
Speaker 1: I want to commend him for bringing Judy got One in as the lead character. He was the he brought him in, and he was the first black man to play the character. He was the first gay man to play the character. And these were good and necessary things to push the franchise forward. And Judy was wonderful in the role. Honestly, he was so, so, so good in the role. As much as I love Jody Whittaker, who came in before him, and I really did she struggled in that role. And part of the reason she struggled in it, I think was because a she was a woman playing character exclusively played by men, and I don't think the writing ever gave her a way in on that. They tended to wave it away, and they really should have explored, Okay, your gender has changed, shouldn't you have some thoughts about it? And they just kind of waved all that away as if it didn't matter. And I think that doesn't give an actor something to work with. Right with Chudy, they actually did address the fact that he was gay for the first time, or that we knew of the character and black for the first time that we knew of and that we had so we had him dealing with, you know, racism in a way that the character had never dealt with it before or rarely dealt with it before. And I had mixed feelings about giving the character a sexual attraction, which they did in Jonathan Coffin. People loved that episode, but I kept saying, well, you know, there's like sixty years of material saying that this character doesn't fall in love that much, doesn't have an attraction to human beings. So when you make him gay, suddenly he can't control himself. There's something a little off of it.
Speaker 2: I have a question for you. I don't watch the show. I don't know much about it, but I read a lot of stuff about it, some of the backlash, of course, And my point is, do you think it was too much black and gay and too much gayness going on?
Speaker 1: I don't think there's such a thing as I know that I agree, but I do think Russell, who is a gay man himself, I think he made a point of tweaking the nose of the haters. He talked about it all the time. He talked about deliberately trying to piss them off. Remember, and uh, you know, I don't think that's the issue here. He did introduce concepts and character types. He introduced a trans character into the you know storyline, But I don't think that's the issue. First off, Doctor Who, much like the closest analog to it in America is probably Star Trek because it's a long running science fiction program, which much like Star Trek, Doctor Who has especially modern Who has always had a progressive bent right from the beginning.
Speaker 2: It was gay.
Speaker 1: You know, it wasn't so much in the twentieth century, but in this century, yes it was pro gay.
Speaker 2: It was.
Speaker 1: It did a lot of color blind casting, it. It pushed the envelope a lot in the last twenty years on what kind of characters can I mean, it was a big deal the first time he got a black companion. That seems silly now, but it was a big deal anyway. So creatively, I think the problem with Russell T. Davies coming back into the fold is that he is an old school, old, old old timey fan, and when he brought the show back in two thousand and five after sixteen years away, he was updating all of these old concepts like the Daleks and all this, you know, the Sea Devils, whatever, and it was fun and exciting to see these things. But now we are twenty years into this reboot and he came back and start doing the same. The last thing Doctor Who needed in the twenty twenties was more looking backwards, was more, Oh, we're bringing the c Devils back, We're bringing Sue Tech back, We're you know whatever. The one thing Doctor Who needs more than anything else going forward, if it does go forward, is a complete overhaul, the same to the same extent that was done in two thousand and five. So I haven't even gotten to the announcement. Davies and the BBC were teasing some Doctor Who announcement all week long. The last time we had heard anything about Doctor Who. It was not going to continue on Disney Plus in the United States, but there was going to be a Christmas special and then they were going to figure it out going forward. So the announcement comes out this week. Surprise, there's no Christmas special. It was never scripted. Russell T. Davies came right out and said, I lied, we didn't have anything. We were trying to draw up the interest and he's off. He's they're not continuing with his production company. They are sending the franchise to tender, which is in the basically means they're looking at offers at any other production company who wants to come in and overhauld the character. Bottom line is we're not going to see new Who for probably five years.
Speaker 2: Oh my god. Yeah, I mean it'll be that long. They have to, and.
Speaker 1: I just think it would be a huge mistake to bring somebody in and well, well, let's do a story about the Dolleks, let's do a story about the cyberment. No, how about you do with you just wipe the slate clean. I mean the one that one of the great things about the two thousand and five reboot was that they they didn't fuss with anything. They didn't even explain who they There was a regeneration, but we never really saw it. They just brought in a new guy and said this is the new guy, and they just kind of glossed over the less whatever had happened in the previous several years and I honestly think that's what they need to do with this is let let this go fallow for a few years and then bring do some exciting casting announcement. And if they really wanted to revitalize this franchise, they should probably go against the grain and cast an actual star, do a stunt casting.
Speaker 2: Do you know?
Speaker 1: I don't care fucking till this Swinton, I don't care.
Speaker 2: Put somebody out.
Speaker 1: People have talked about her, Oh, she would never do it, but Billy, why not? I don't think she does TV or I mean, I don't think she does TV at all.
Speaker 2: Do the stars anyway, but something like that, Do some stunt casting for a season, bring somebody in to really lend it some star power, redesign the tartists don't do.
Speaker 1: Don't explain any of it, just go full bore straight into the adventures. I don't care about the timeless child stuff, don't I really don't care about whoever Judy gotwer regenerated into at the end of that last episode. I know it's Billy Piper, but please can we forget that that ever happened? It was a terrible, terrible idea. So that's my thing on Doctor Who Is I did not greet this announcement with despair. I was like, no, this is actually what needs to happen, and I hope if they do, when and if they do come back, I hope it's it's a clean I this is sacrilege, but get rid of the police box. I'm not joking. Get rid of the police box.
Speaker 2: It is.
Speaker 1: They don't even have them in Great Britain anymore. And for the last ten years of the show, the joke was always characters in Britain were like, what is that blue box? Because they don't have them anymore, you have an opportunity there. That ship can look like anything, anything at all. Imagine what you could do if you weren't locked into this sixty year old continuity. The other thing I want to suggest is I really think the show should get away from the big cosmic space stuff and get back to being a time travel show based in England. That to me was always when it was its most entertaining. They're kind of the easiest ones to shoot because you don't have to do these massive specially. You can just find some castle somewhere and shoot it there.
Speaker 2: That would be I would watch that.
Speaker 1: It used to be that that used to be the show. It was about this this goofy alien who time traveled all around England. And I really think it needs to get back to that. You need to put a star in there. You need to get rid of the tartis or the blue box, and you need to here's the thing. And again, people are gonna get mad at me, old school hoofans are gonna get mad at me. But when you look at something like Star Wars or Star Trek, the ships, the ships become iconic, they become toys, they become things that you want to be in. And he flies around in a blue box and I get it. It's cute, it's charming, it's twee tradition, but it's it's been sixty plus years. Like, maybe give him a cool ship, or maybe just give him something that goofully changes every week into something else. You have that it's written in. He has that perception filter thing. Anyway, I'm rambling in a very nerdy way. But my take is, as much as I appreciate Russell T. Davies as a gay creator and as the guy who brought and he did, he gave us queer as folk the original version, I like the guy. But he never should have come back to to uh doctor. I mean the first thing he did was bring back to David Tennant and it was a fun thing, but it was kind of a fan thing to do. Yeah, it was a precursor to it. Just sort of in retrospect, it indicated that he really didn't have new ideas, and the new ideas that he did have, like talking babies in space, were just all right. So we're going to take a short break, and when we get back, Lorenzo has much in the way of celebrity stuff to talk about. We'll be right back. We're back, and now we're going to talk about the Knicks, even though we are not sports fans, not basketball fans, and not Knicks fans, but that has never stopped us from having an opinion. Actually, obviously we're not going to have an opinion on the actual games themselves. Except listen, I'm happy for New Yorkers. They are that city is thrilled in a and they deserve it. They you know, I'm just happy for them. It's great when a city has got that kind of fever going. And you know, New York has waited a long time for an NBA championship to come their way again.
Speaker 2: It almost didn't happen, you know. Yeah, and just see so the you know.
Speaker 1: The the block party, viewing parties, people putting their TVs out in the street and everything. I just love that it is so quintessentially New York. Also quintessentially New York is the heavy, heavy, heavy celebrity presence at the Games, and that is what we're going to talk about today.
Speaker 2: I just I just thought it was interesting because I've always seen them, you know, attending games front row. You know, that's nothing new, But I don't remember that much attention twidst them like there is now.
Speaker 1: That's because they're a champion.
Speaker 2: I mean the feel I feel there's a lot more now attention to them, and I think it has to do with maybe Tim all May and.
Speaker 1: Of course you do and tell her swift right, they're the reason.
Speaker 2: No, they're not the reasons, but they're they're big names. I mean wherever she goes, you know, and and him and and Kyla Kylie Jenner. You know, I feel like because they're young and they're very popular because usually we're people I don't know, famous stars, but not I don't know, not on this same level. That's how I feel. But my so, I noticed a lot more attention, a lot more videos, a lot more pictures. It's because because.
Speaker 1: Part of that is because they're in the championships, and part of that is because they're in the championships, more stars are showing up, right, But there have always been stars court sided. I mean, Spike Lee and Ben Stiller have been court sided next games for years. They're known for that. Even Timothy shallow May, long before this season, was actually known for being a Knicks fan for showing up having court side seats. There was a social media post that went out earlier this week which he was apparently featured on the NIXT social media like when he was fifteen years old, right because he was some super fan at the time.
Speaker 2: I feel that the pr machine is in full force now when it comes to those front row seats. Uh, you see a lot more And he has designed and he has chrumb rit chrumb Heart's designing clothes for him, especially to attend the show. That kind of stuff. I think it's just a lot more. Uh. It feels more like a red carpet than anything else. So anyway, on TikTok and everywhere. People were kind of like complaining a little bit about that, because I understand if you were a fan, if you were if you you know, a fan of sports or whatever, and you can't afford tickets, there's always that take that you know, these people get tickets for free, and you know they get to be there and and you know they have bodyguards in front of them, disrupting the whole thing. Blah blah blah.
Speaker 1: But I just want to say it. Last night Ben Stellar was being interviewed post game, but I think by Charles Barklay, and he was asked, you know, how long have you been a season ticket holder? And he rather sheepishly but honestly replied, I'm not They just give select liberties tickets. They just give us free tickets.
Speaker 2: He said, I don't have them.
Speaker 1: There was a little bit of a backlashing or probably I don't know, I haven't checked. At the time. When I saw that, I was like, well, at least he's being honest. I don't have a problem with it, And I mean to be honest this whole conversation. I'm just like, all right, I as someone who writes about celebrities and their apparent public appearances all the time. Sure, all weigh in on this, but I'm not a Knicks fan, I'm not a New Yorker, I'm not a basketball fan. So whatever happens happens. I'm not offended by any of it. I mean, I don't really have like, oh that you know, they shouldn't be giving tickets somebody who here's my take, And we talked about this before the mics and we're flipped on. Excuse me, We've spent the last fifteen years, twenty almost twenty years talking about celebrities and how they're utilized for publicity and how you know they're brought you know, not just for red carpet premieres, but how many times have we had a party where they're just selling watches or jewelry, right, and they just invite a bunch of celebrities every front row at fashion shows, it's the same thing. You're just inviting those people, put giving them basically free outfits, and sitting them in the front row for the publicity. So I cannot in good conscience sit here and say wal Taylor Swift doesn't deserve to be there.
Speaker 2: I mean, yes she does.
Speaker 1: She's generating an insane amount of publicity. Of course, so was Timothy Shallomy insane amount of publicity. And you know, okay, he's he's wearing custom fits from Chrome Hearts or whatever.
Speaker 2: I mean.
Speaker 1: But you and I both know our readers, all no, our listeners know this is the game. This is the celebrity game. You bring them in for attention, you give them gifts and whatever.
Speaker 2: Go ahead. I'm sorry. Now, I do agree that, you know, celebrities get everything for free, and obviously tickets too. I don't have a problem with that, and I don't have a problem with the whole thing. I just understand some of the perspective here, because if you were a fan, you're focusing on the game and all of a sudden, the cameras are shifting to something else and they get all the attention. And it does if you watch the videos, if you watch them front roo.
Speaker 1: Oh, they're performative.
Speaker 2: It does feel very performative.
Speaker 1: A a Risco archetype thing where she ran out onto the court last night. Yeah, and you were rolling your eyes at it, and I was like, yeah, but she's a performer, Like that's that's the way they think.
Speaker 2: That's a little disruptive to me. If you're a fan of the game and the players. It feels like the attention is not on the players as it should be one hundred percent. That's my take.
Speaker 1: It also feels like some of these I'm going to say it, they're a little gender like.
Speaker 2: I think.
Speaker 1: You know, people get annoyed at Timothy, but the real reason they're annoyed at Timothy is because his girlfriend is sitting next to him, right, And people would not get annoyed with Travis Kelcey being there, but his girlfriends.
Speaker 2: They actually got very annoyed with him drinking that beer.
Speaker 1: I don't think they have a problem with him being there, that's the thing, right, But anytime Taylor Swift shows up anywhere at a sporting event, there's all this discussion about whether she deserves to be there and whether she's a true fan, And you know what, like football players wives. I'm sorry, free pass, and she is almost a football player's wife at this point. I don't think we need to question why she's at that game. I think it's sexist as hell, and I think it's just one of those anti Taylor things that no, I don't agree with that. I just don't. People have no problem with Ben Stellar or Spike Lee or Mike Bloomberg or whoever else is sitting front row. But when the girls show up as well, are they true fans? Are they acting respectfully?
Speaker 2: Right? But you mentioned Spike Lee and Ben Steeler for example, They've always been attending shows and that level of attention was never placed on them.
Speaker 1: I disagree. I've always seen pictures of what Spike Lee was wearing. No, I don't know, I've seen a championship.
Speaker 2: I've seen pictures of them. But the level of attention to the front room now, it's and I'm not just saying the ladies to tell us wife or whatever. I'm just saying in general, it feels like it's a lot more at carpety than before. And maybe that's approach mats. Maybe that's the way they're going.
Speaker 1: I mean, like I said, I this doesn't bother me. Number one reason is because it is not my sport or my hometown. But it's New York. There's a lot of celebrities in New York so and they are in the championships. Like to say, if the Mets were in the World Series, I'm pretty sure we would be I know we would be seeing a ton of celebrities in the stands.
Speaker 2: But New York also doesn't give a shit about celebrities. And then you can tell if you watch them, they don't. People around them are okay, I mean they're like, they're not even.
Speaker 1: No, of course not.
Speaker 2: It's New York. It's New York. They don't give a shit.
Speaker 1: It's everybody's sitting in those sheets has paid thousands and thousands and thousands of dollars, so.
Speaker 2: You don't see much much reaction from them. It's it's pretty much the whole pr thing on the people attending the show, and and you know, things like I don't know, I find it a little bit too much the way they react in all the running and hugging the players and stuff like that. It feels a little too much for me.
Speaker 1: There, all right, I think we've beaten that one. I'd love to hear your thoughts, especially from any New Yorkers or any NBA fans or Knicks fans. How do you feel about the celebrities showing up in their little outfits. I don't I don't see that much different from a World Series or even Wimbledon when we cover people in their outfits at Wimbledon. So I mean, I take your point about performativeness, but I, as I said, they're performers.
Speaker 2: What's next Next we can talk about the uh crazy wonderful success of Jix Munson Rupol's drag Race. She's been killing it. She you know, we know she did Chicago Little Shop of Horrors and Doctor Who. We know all that, and she's extremely talented. And now she's doing a play I believe right.
Speaker 1: And she's doing a Judy Garland and yeah play. I saw a music and I didn't love it. I love her. She was singing Strings of my Heart and I was like, yeah, she's just sort of rushing through it.
Speaker 2: I yeah, I'm gonna agree with you. I don't love it. I think she was way more funny on the drag Ratio. I think when you when the whole when it's a whole show about Judy Garland, I feel like it's a little too I don't know, it feels like a little too. I don't it's not natural. I mean she plays it too much, you know. I mean, like all the characters of Judy Garland feels a little feels a little too overplayed.
Speaker 1: Here's the thing when you get into like Judy in her Carnegie Hall era, which is essentially what most drag queens who do Judy are basically doing Carnegie Hall Judy, and Jinks does this, but I think the mistake in her Judy impersonation is that she overstates like Judy was very funny, very witty, and very sarcastic, like that was I mean, And I think that's what Jinks tends to play up, that sort of half drunk Judy basically half drunk, sort of mouthing off, rolling her eyes at everyone, kind of wandering all over the stage. But if you look at Judy in the sixties, before it really fell apart for her, she was always sharp on stage, even when she was visibly drunk, even when she was rambling or getting overly emotional or or getting a little too sarcastic. When it came time to hit her mark and hit her she was extremely professional. It was only at the very very end when she couldn't really do those things anymore.
Speaker 2: And Jinks doesn't play her that way.
Speaker 1: She plays a very loosey, goosey Judy and it's funny and sometimes she really does sound like her, But I'm like, yeah, I'm not hearing the precision because that was something. Thing about Judy as a performer is that she was insanely precise and technical, almost entire almost all the way up until the end. So sometimes I don't mean to turn this into a critique.
Speaker 2: No, it's an interesting critique because it does feel like someone watched too many videos on YouTube, those.
Speaker 1: Talk show videos when she was like doing the Tonight Show, and then.
Speaker 2: She kind of does the same, which is not very subtle. But she's killing it. Everyone is loving it, and she's doing great, is extremely town. And now she's going to do O Mary. She did it in New York and now she's going to do it in England.
Speaker 1: And then the stunt casting for oh Mary is getting out of hand, don't.
Speaker 2: You listen when when first when O Mary first first appeared. You know, I love the concept. I loved everything about it. I thought it was incredible that Colewitz Kolar right, was getting all this attention. He works so hard. They they I'm sorry, they worked so hard to make that happen. So I was very happy with the whole thing. But then it became the thing now that everybody wants to play the part, and it's just again attention seeking, you.
Speaker 1: Know, it's a Broadway play, I know, but.
Speaker 2: It feels like, oh my god, I don't know. It's just like attention on me, me me, me, me me me, not the project, not.
Speaker 1: The I heard that Jenks was taking over on the West End for Catherine Tate, who has been I didn't realize Catherine Tate was playing the character, and I did sort of go Okay, I mean I get it, like Catherine Tate can play oh Mary as she's written the sort of over the top, you know, neurotic Cabaret sing or character. But my first thought was, really is she doing is she doing that accent?
Speaker 2: Well? Is she doing a British like?
Speaker 1: Which is silly because of course this play is not remotely historically accurate. There's no point in complaining any worrying about that. But I do take your part. The only casting that really made me excited, no, actually was Maya Rudolph. Yes, because just as it putting a non binary or male performer, because Titus Bridges also played, putting a black woman in that in those skirts. Okay, that's going to be funny, especially my Rudolf, who is so funny. Betty Gilpin, sure, but because she's really talented talented, but I do not think she's I don't think she's right for the role.
Speaker 2: Not really.
Speaker 1: I'm sure she did fine in it. She's done, she's long done, right, Yeah.
Speaker 2: No, they only do a couple of you know, show a couple of weeks. Yeah, yeah, a couple of weeks and that's it. Now. Megan tells her she's gonna do it.
Speaker 1: Well to be honest, that if she can learn her lines and hit her mark, if she would be perfect.
Speaker 2: If she can remember her lines, yeah, she would.
Speaker 1: Be perfect for it. I mean that's she's essentially a female Cola Scola in some ways, yea, without the discipline.
Speaker 2: All right, anyway, but the whole point on on on TikTok and everything about Jake Munts, who was said, uh, very talented drag Queen's you know on the show, and then that we people felt that they should focus more on that than have just pretty queens on the show, because then you have this incredible talent Race are Oh Mary, No, I'm talking about drag Race and Queen's and jig why why Jackman's it's out there doing so great and uh if you and you made the point that she won twice, right, she.
Speaker 1: Won twice, and I think she's the only one who has one toy.
Speaker 2: But for a long time, drag Race kind of made fun of people like that, like her her type of drag.
Speaker 1: I mean, well, first off, Rue, she has a a bug up ers about the theater queens, and she always did Rue and the whole show is based on Rue's concept concept of drag, which is based on Ru's own career as a drag queen. So Ru did not come from this very practiced theatrical cabaret sorts background to drag. She came up from the street. She was a club kid. She did burlesque, she did you know, she did shows, she did lip syncing and that sort of thing. But she wasn't a cabaret performer, and she wasn't a theater performer, and she had no training. And that's why drag Race kind of disdains those overtrained queens and loves those messy ass queens who are who make Ru laugh. The show was always prioritized messy drag, over disciplined to drag, which is a shame. And we when we were writing our book Legendary Children, we kept trying to pull in examples of disciplined drag performers like you know, Charles Bush, And there is a piece on Charles Bush in the book, But it was hard to pull those people in and talk about them because that's not what's the show prioritizes. It prioritizes street drag, messy drag. It pulls from John Waters films, and the ballroom. It does not pull from cabaret or Broadway or Vogue, which are all major heavy inspirations on drag. It's kind of like genres of drag. There's fashion drag, there's cabaret drag, there's Broadway drag, there's you know, lip syncing drag, there's ballroom drag. And Rue has never loved those theater queens. It's too Jinx's credit that she was able to secure two wins basically because she blew everyone else out of the water. Her talent level was so high it was hard you could not deny it. And also she is something of a messy queen when she wants to be. And I think that did appeal to rule.
Speaker 2: I agree, I agree, but yeah, but there are yeah, I mean, Ben Delacram is another one who's extremely talented.
Speaker 1: Jnjerminch is extremely talented.
Speaker 2: Exactly so queens. So people were talking about that, the fact that you know, maybe we should embrace these queens a little more.
Speaker 1: Because they said of the Instagram queens.
Speaker 2: And queens were the design of clothes, you know. But I guess, I guess there should be room for all of them.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: My take.
Speaker 1: The bottom line is that Drag Race is not gonna I mean, it never has. We're heading into almost its third decade at this point, and I don't think there's no change coming unless roofsteps but down. There's no change coming.
Speaker 2: I mean, if you watch the episode without the sound, it's the same show every single.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, we're committed to doing I don't hate the show. I still love to watch Drag Queens. Yes, I still every season, even of all Stars, I still am like, all right, new crop, fresh crop, let's see where it goes. It's just that the show is very stale, and it's very hard to write about without sounding bitter all the time.
Speaker 2: Right. I feel the judges are basically the same every time, you know, like the whole thing with the last the latest episode with the sisters and Michelle going on and on about that, Oh they don't look the same. I'm like, oh my god, that.
Speaker 1: We there again?
Speaker 2: Are we there again? Anyway? It feels like anyway it needs to be uh freshened up a little bit, I guess.
Speaker 1: Anyway, I agree with that. Why don't we take a short break and we'll be right back. We're back, and I'm just going to toss to Lorenzo who has this latest celebrity brew haha on TikTok So.
Speaker 2: Anyway, uh, heated rivalry again, another story. They seem to be going after everybody.
Speaker 1: They are going to let themselves become the worst fandom and all of fandom. The reputation has plummeted.
Speaker 2: I knew this was coming. Someone has to take over. Yeah, I knew this was going to happen. Fame came too quickly for these guys. Unfortunately.
Speaker 1: It's why I tapped out as soon as I was like, I can tell what this is.
Speaker 2: And I see I could see the whole machinery in action, uh, in terms of pr in terms of fame for these guys, everything the fans reacting. So the bottom line is that they have no problem with the kind of story, but with everybody else.
Speaker 1: This is what I said to you before we flipped on the mics. That's my thing. So okay, right now, the fan them is going after Hudson Williams, and Will and Lorenzo will explain why. But they've actually been going after him for a while, partially because he has a girlfriend, and that is killed the fantasy. It killed the fantasy, and so the fandom was going after him for like, I don't know, queer baiting or something whatever. I guess straight actors can't play gay now. And then they also went after Francois Arnau because they thought he was like grooming connor story or so I was too to date, Yeah, because there was some indication that they were having some sort of fling and there was an age gap, although it wasn't really anything scandalous. And bottom line is he's their special curly haired boy that they all love, their special little queer boyfriend, and they are attacking anybody else who threatens poor little cherubic Connor's story. And again I saw and you know it's not for nothing. Hudson Williams is not.
Speaker 2: He's by right.
Speaker 1: So it's the little blonde, blue eyed, curly haired cherub that they're all trying to protect from these evil evil Asian men and queer men like older guys. Undertones of this gross. Having said all that, first of all, we don't even know if the pictures are real. But describe, I think the pictures are really okay, Describe what picture the.
Speaker 2: Latest bomb is that they found, because they will find and that's the problem. Now. They found pictures of Hudson Williams with the swastka drawn on his forehead. Now their old pictures when he was very young with friends playing.
Speaker 1: They had magic marker, like all kinds of stuff.
Speaker 2: Right. The story, apparently, allegedly is that people were drawing things on somebody else's forehead.
Speaker 1: They wasn't they were asleep or something.
Speaker 2: I don't know that, I don't know, but they were just playing. I guess, I guess. You know, you you couldn't see what they were drawing. Uh, and then they were done drawing. But you know, at some when you're going to look and see what they drew. But anyway, that's that's that's my take. Anyway. So these pictures, you know, resurfaced because he always do, and they were all, you know, huge backlash and criticizing him for those pictures and stuff. He has never as far as I know, addressed the whole issue, hasn't mentioned it, talked about.
Speaker 1: He's smart, he would just talk about it.
Speaker 2: Apparently he wasn't unaware of what has been had been drawn on his forehead. That's the story.
Speaker 1: What is the origin of these pictures? Where were they found on his social media or.
Speaker 2: No, it's not very clear where they were found.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but questions.
Speaker 2: Yes, but I think if they were faked, he would have come out and said these pictures are.
Speaker 1: Not even I'm not necessarily suggesting that they're fake, I'm just what was who who had these pictures?
Speaker 2: Where were they? One of the friends, friends of the friends, Yes, yes, one of the friends of the friends of the friends.
Speaker 1: I'm sure fine, Uh yeah, Shade.
Speaker 2: I can only say one thing. I'm very very thankful that social media did not exist when I was a kid. Well, I do not that I did any of that. Have swastikas on your I never know any of that. Let me be clear, he had, but I'm sure it would have me doing something stupid that I'd be ashamed of.
Speaker 1: Having said that. I do think when you are how old is Hudson Williams his twenties, he's twenty five or twenty six that young. Uh yeah, you really can't claim that you didn't know the swastikas were bad in twenty fifteen or whatever, like you know it was bad back then. Yeah, he's twenty five, so the new pictures are only about ten years old. And I mean, listen, yeah, you're right. We do dumb stuff when we're and I don't think anything needs to happen. I don't think he needs to give a statement. I don't think he certainly shouldn't lose his job or anything.
Speaker 2: Right, several times I have stopped and thought about my pets and I was like, did I do it?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 2: Never done anything like.
Speaker 1: No, I never know. There are no swastikas. There's no blackface in that past. I mean, I know that part of me is pristine.
Speaker 2: No. I wasn't that kind of guy.
Speaker 1: But I'm sure I said some stupid ass things that I would fringe at now.
Speaker 2: Yes, So apparently I think got so bad that they somewhere somehow. Simoul Liu, the actor, was interviewed and defended him up. Yeah, yeah, he defended him. Said, you know, massive hate campaigns against actors of color has been happening. Happened to me and he's happened to this guy now, meaning Hudson Williams, and you know, that's just horrible.
Speaker 1: And he's not the best spokesperson for this because seemingly has been problematic in his own ways over there years. He's made comments. Yeah, there's been some problematic stuff in his own social media in fact, but he's not wrong about this. He's not wrong about this. Like why, I mean, what do his fans? What do you care that he did something stupid when he was sixteen? The only reason you're making an issue of this is because you want to somehow hurt him. And the other reason you want to hurt him is because you're precious little curly boy is being threatened by the poor biracial Asian Nazi that you've made up in your head. I think fandoms are silly, silly, silly thing.
Speaker 2: Yes, I think these things are going to happen more and more with social media, you know, because people do shit.
Speaker 1: Like that, They're going to I do think it's worth questioning whether this is a real picture. That's my point, because we're we are getting to a point where you are not going to be able to tell easily and they can put any kind of picture out there. So it's worth questioning when these things come up, and it's worth noting the implications of constantly attacking this one actor's co stars because you have a crush on that actor. And we aren't talking about twelve year olds here, we are talking about adults.
Speaker 2: I do feel the book people in general are different breath when it comes to TV shows and movies.
Speaker 1: There are you romance books. That's what you're saying. I will fill in the blank there. You don't have the guts to say it now.
Speaker 2: I will say every time a book gets turned into a movie or a TV show or there's always this conversation, this craziness showing out somehow.
Speaker 1: That's why I don't like to review shows that are based on books. I don't even like to review movies that are based on books because people just don't understand. We're not here to talk about the book, right, We're here to talk about the adaptation.
Speaker 2: I think it's fine to make comparisons, but when you fight for those changes or differences, you know, between the book and the project, I think it's a little crazy. And Yet when you go after people, go after the actors and things like that, that's why I don't. Yeah, I don't touch the show anymore. And there's a new season coming and I'm like, oh no, I don't.
Speaker 1: Want to be And I'm happy for the actors. I'm literally I am actually happy for the fans. It's a good show and everyone is happy with the show. But this is what happens with the sort of rabid fandoms, is that they suck all of the joy out of it. Just as as an aside, Back in the day, long before I was a blogger, I used to hang out on nerd forums, on comic book forums, and for ten years I was a moderator at CBR CBR dot com, which is a shit site now. But and this is in the nineties and the odds, and every once in a while I'll go back to those forums because I still read comics. I still love comics, and I want to have someplace to talk about them. And I'll go and I'm like, oh god, the worst, the worst thing you can do to talk about the stuff you love is to find a fandom, yes, because all they will do is complain. And yeah, I will go to CBR or some or I'll look at stuff on Reddit or on social media conversations about the books that I'm reading, and it's so sour, it's so entitled, because you have devoted all of your online persona to talking about this one thing, right, so the you can't praise it all the time, so you have to turn to nitpicky complaints. And the complaints get more and more bizarre over time because they're fed by a social media crowd and you're all in this little bubble, and your anger is getting more and more intense over stupid shit, like why.
Speaker 2: There's a tail place where you can have a decent conversation about anything anymore online because all you have to do, as a crazy fan is to search that person's name and then you go there you'll find I mean, I see that happening all the time. Sometimes I'm like on Instagram or whatever, the conversation is fine, and all of a sudden, all these people just showed up and then ruin it for everybody else because they do a search and then find that that specific post or whatever and they destroy it.
Speaker 1: It's true, but that's all I have to say about that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, No, I think I don't know. I mean, I think it's awkward. I'm not gonna, you know, pretend that this is not something that should be criticized. Now. It's awkward, and you know you shouldn't be doing shit like that.
Speaker 1: But I also don't think he owes anyone an explanation. I mean, really, if he was I don't know, Adam January sixth or something like that, But fooling around with teenagers ten years ago, long before you were famous, someone found the picture of you, and well, there's something objectionable in the picture.
Speaker 2: I don't know. If I had swatsk on my forehead, I'd apologize for it, That's all I'm saying. But that's just I.
Speaker 1: Get I mean, I get it. We are in a very politicized time. We are in a time of rising anti semitism, so and I get that people's antennas are up. But I also think expecting stars to apologize for teenage shit that happened long before they were stars, I think you just personally, I think he should ignore it. I really do. But again, we'd love to hear from all y'all on the.
Speaker 2: Should he apologize or ignore it?
Speaker 1: Yes? All right, we'll take a short break and we're gonna spoil the latest episode of Widows Bay. So if you don't want to be spoiled on the latest episode of Widows Bay, love you mean it.
Speaker 2: Bye Bye.
Speaker 1: We'll be back tomorrow with a Bitter Kitten movie club on Lorenzo's favorite film of all time Better Babette's Feast. But we are coming back in a minute to talk about Widows Bay. We're back, and we're just gonna wrap this up by talking about the most recent Widow's Bay. I wasn't I wasn't actually planning on talking about it, but pardon me, tab is walking all over the place. I had a theory last week about the show, and the theory sort of was answered in this week's episode, but there was a bit of a twist to it, so I did want to get into that. But first I will say I love every episode of Widows Bay and the scene with Dale Dickey actually made this episode, but this was probably my least favorite episode of the show, just because there wasn't it felt like a bridge between everything that had happened and whatever they're planning for the finale, So it was just more you know, it was still a lot of it felt liminal. It felt like an interim episode, right.
Speaker 2: Not not a lot happened, But whatever happened was excuse me, freaking hilarious. I only think the Dale Dickie scene will now I think the whole thing was funny. First of all, I was thrilled to see Betty Gilpin Beck briefly, Yes, briefly, but Beck, Oh you're back.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because they should bring her back in season two as a descendant.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, oh my god, oh my god, They're not going to do it. I just find the show so witty, so clever, so amazing. Yeah, lines are just freaking intelligent and hilarious. I mean, I just love the show, love the show. Was not expecting to love the show this much. But I think it has a lot to do with the writing, obviously, but also the performance. They're all amazing.
Speaker 1: Matthew Rees, Katia Flann, and Steven Root are just the MVPs of this show. But then you have people like Dale Dickie, who I'm so glad they gave her that scene, and I I really wish they would give Jeff Hiller a scene. That guy won an Emmy last year for Somebody somewhere and he's in the background and he's funny. But they really I want them to give him they started. That's the other thing is that the island, the show is populated with all these other people, and you're starting to get the sense, all right, well let's see some of these other people. Like they're starting to pay more attention to the sheriff and his wife who are facing a real dilemma because she's about to give birth.
Speaker 2: Well, it's gonna happen. I mean, yeah, I think that's gonna happen.
Speaker 1: So here's my take. I said last week that I I pointed out the painting in the inn that showed the child swimming away in the water from the you know, the in the storm or whatever, and that this implied that one of the founder's children had survived, and if that's the case, then his bloodline is probably still going on. Why else would you show that unless that's the point. And I was correct on that, which I'm not patting myself on the back. It was very, very obvious that that's where the show was leading, and everyone was talking about him online and on Reddit. So I'm not taking credit for it, but I really thought it was going to be a son like dramatically speaking, that makes the most sense. He's so conflicted that this is even real. But at the same time, for sixteen years, he's been keeping his son under wraps, and.
Speaker 2: When they made him sit down and pay attention to the whole presentation, I was like, it's gonna be him. It's going to be a son, and I I have to.
Speaker 1: It's sort of like in Severance when they in the first episode of sevens when they took a long time revealing who Mark's dead wife was, and you really really thought it was his coworker, britt Lower. You really thought that was going to be the reveal, and it turned out to be his other co worker. And when I remember when that scene happened, because you were everything was indicating that you know, the person you think it is is this person, and at the very last second they show somebody else. And I remember at the time saying, my brain shut off. I did not expect that, and I felt like the writers were deliberately like inside my head, fucking with me. And I think this is kind of a I think the writing is smart enough to know that at this point the viewership will be making connections and assuming it's the sun right, and it turns out she gets to this long diatribe where she points out every dead baby, every lesbian, and every developmentally disabled child that was born in the last four hundred years. She didn't say developmentally.
Speaker 2: Now the overhead projector.
Speaker 1: And she's smoking. But when she gets to the and the reveal is Ruth, the elderly secretary played by Kay Callen, and then it turns into this whole discussion of do we kill her or whatever.
Speaker 2: The whole conversation was hysterical.
Speaker 1: I suspect Ruth is not going to survive the storm anyway. She's ninety years old, and they said she was still in her house. But I just did, Yeah, I just want to say that I don't think she's the end of the line. They made a point of showing a young Ruth in the nineteen fifties who won I think the Miss Widow's Bay, Beauty Pasant or whatever. And I said to Lorenzo, I was like, she got a secret baby. I mean, why would they show her young and beautiful?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 1: And I don't believe that was a picture of Kay Callan. I think that was some actress that's going to appear in a flashback at so I.
Speaker 2: Think that's what's going to happen. She's going to be dead with the storm because of the storm.
Speaker 1: And she'll be his secret grandmother was going to think it's over over and something happens.
Speaker 2: There's a baby. There was a baby somewhere. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, But that's my take.
Speaker 2: I agree. No, I think that's that's I don't.
Speaker 1: Think this show necessarily needs to be unpacked like a puzzle box. I mean, I know there are clues. I've actually started rewatching it and there are oh okay, I mean there are things that are foreshadowed a lot throughout it, like the painting, like the think out the baby, you know, a kid in the water and everything. This was all rather meticulously plotted out. But I I think it's more about the performances and the humor of it. I mean, it's fun to unpack where the show is going, but it's we're not talking lost here, you.
Speaker 2: Know, right. What I love about the shoe, it's something very simple that not a lot of shows do, is to make things look real. When he's removing the put off the wall, I mean, I forgot about that was a really funny scene. Yes, what would happen if you're trying to if you're angry and you're trying to remove a very heavy frame off the wall. Just hilarious when she's smoking and she turns a fan on and it's just like I can't hear anything, we can't hear and then she just and you know, dead baby, dead baby lesbian? Do you really have to say it like that? What? I can't say that anymore.
Speaker 1: It's just a it's a really funny.
Speaker 2: Show, funariot.
Speaker 1: You know why I don't think this one rates all that high for me is because there was nothing scary in it. Oh okay, there were no scares. It was just that's what I mean about it being kind of liminal.
Speaker 2: Like well, the guy, you know, the guy who got sucked up by the wasn't scary. Funny, but it's funny, but it's also like horrifying, I know, the whole sky, you know. And yeah, they do that. They do a good job. I think that. I mean, I'm loving the show. I'm having the show.
Speaker 1: But I want them to bring Betty Gilpin back as a descendant.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, that's actually Sarah Westcott.
Speaker 1: I think her name is.
Speaker 2: Can you imagine if that would be really fun? Anyway, keep watching if you're watching it, I you know, it's.
Speaker 1: Fun canally next week.
Speaker 2: If I haven't watched it yet, give it a shot. It's a fantastic show.
Speaker 1: It is, and I believe that is it for us this week. We will be back next week withever with whatever crosses ours across as our desks, and we will be back tomorrow. Yes for the Bitter Kit and move the cleb, and we will have much to say about Babat's face. Until then, take care of yourselves of you mean it, but bye,