Speaker 1: The following program is produced by the tech Talk Radio Network. This is Alice Cooper, the original Techno Todd, and you're listening to tech Talk Radio. Welcome to another episode of tech Talk Radio.
Speaker 2: I'm Andy Taylor, I'm Sean Weird, and I'm Justin Lemey.
Speaker 1: Welcome. Well, it's good to have jo justin back. Oh my gosh, god, I almost forgot how to do this. Yeah, you can't forget.
Speaker 3: How to do I forgot the Colorado existed.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, right, what really bothers me? As we were talking pre show here and Justine says it's warm in Colorado, Like, how how could it be warm in Colorado?
Speaker 2: It's been like sixty degrees almost every single day since the beginning of December. We had one minor storm come through where the Denver metro area got maybe half an inch in snow. Yeah, but the mountains got maybe like six or seven inches. But it doesn't really affect us down here. I've I've had to actually go out and hook up my water spigot and water my plants and trees three times since October. Late October when we first turned off the sprinklers. I don't water the grass. The grass you wanted just to stay dormant, but the trees and the plants and stuff, I water them. It's gotten so warm that we're actually having tulip buds out, and I'm like, no, no, no, no, in the.
Speaker 1: Winter to sleep, go back to sleep, please. How about you, Sean, I mean, I know that you're in Indiana, so you get like really weird weather there, don't you.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we've we've already received like sixty inches of snow this year.
Speaker 1: What wow? Sixty we had?
Speaker 3: We had We had at least eighteen inches of snow week the week before Thanksgiving. We got dumped on and then it stayed and continued to snow, and then a couple of weeks later we got another fourteen inches.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, I mean, and it was.
Speaker 3: The heavy, thick, wet snow, so it's like it was icy and then it's just been icy and cold and freezing rain. And then four days ago was sixty degrees and then four hours later it was thirty eight degrees.
Speaker 2: We got during the day, but then we'll get down to like thirty or twenty five at night.
Speaker 3: Right, Andy, here's a weather term. Have you ever heard of freezing fog?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, yeah, it gets the ground temperature is still warm enough that it creates a bunch of fog, and then the air temperature drops and it freezes, and then it freezes on the roads.
Speaker 1: Wow, you could have been in Las Vegas last week where it was. You know, well, if you would have sent us there, Andy, next year, next year, next year, we got to go. I mean when I was, I was kind of wondering because you know, the CS is wrapped up. It wrapped up last week. Everybody heads home. They get to disseminate all of that info for the different ideas, different products. I was surprised because Justin and I talked about this last week. We were talking about everything's AI. You know, everything is going to be integrated, that is true AI into technology. But we saw some things that were a little different. One of the things that kind of made and we've talked televisions before, but in OLED was the thing. Now it's this micro RGB technology that everybody's talking about and I don't understand it. They just say it's brighter, more clarity with text when you're looking at a text on the screen. What did you what did you call it? Micro RGB more clarity? I don't know, have you guys had a chance to look into this at all.
Speaker 2: I've not heard that, you know, not seeing the micro RGB thing yet.
Speaker 1: Yeah, apparently Samsung announced a Giants one hundred and thirty inch television using that technology, and there's no idea on the pricing. But when they pull one out at one hundred and fifteen inches last year, the price tag was thirty thousand dollars. Yeah.
Speaker 2: See, even if you look up micro RGB on the internet right now, you're gonna see pictures. The pictures don't do it justice. No, you're not going to be able to understand the true scale of this unless you see it in person.
Speaker 1: That's why I think, you know, Best Buy was smart to do their Magnolia Home theater so they could put the technology because you can't I'm sorry, you cannot buy a television online. People say, yeah, you can't, but honestly, I think you have to go somewhere and see it. And even then it's difficult because it's not going to be in the same environment that maybe you have at your home. You look at Sean, you look at having a TV in there would be different if it was injustice or if it was in mind you you have different color settings, a different pattern, where the room is, where it's going to fall. That that's why they do they.
Speaker 2: You know, there's there's a small subset of specialists that will actually come out to your house and they will fine tune your television to your viewing environment.
Speaker 1: Right if you will.
Speaker 2: You basically meet with them. They'll say, okay, how do you normally like the lights? You know, let's set the lights at the right level, and then they use all these like really fine tune tools. I guess you can say to just fine tune the TV to make sure that it has the perfect picture for that particular environment. But you're also paying a lot of money for that.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I remember when the first one hundred inch television came out. Me and Jim Barry mayhe rest in peace. We were at CEES that year when they introduced that one hundred inch television, and that was one of the things you would have to pay. Somebody from I think it might have been Sam Sung. They would come out and they would install it. They would go ahead, you know, and they would set it for the room, the whole bit, because they wanted you to be like a showroom for them. Because people going to come over to your place and see this TV that you've dropped a lot of money on, and hopefully they'll end up wanting to buy one. The same thing goes for audio.
Speaker 2: I mean, you get a nice surround sound system, you can actually pay somebody to come out and just place those speakers perfectly.
Speaker 1: And then even if you can't place the speak it perfectly perfectly, they will.
Speaker 2: Fine tune those speakers to where you can place them right. But it also costs a lot of money.
Speaker 1: Isn't there like when it comes to audio in like television rooms and stuff. Isn't there audio now where it can replicate the sound of a surround like a five, you know, six speaker type of system or is that just really that's really not going to do it a little bit? I guess.
Speaker 2: I mean yes, yes, the answer is yes, but it's not going to be true. Like you, you're never going to be able to replicate true surround sound with like a soundbar. You can get close, right, but you're not going to replicate it truthfully.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you may hear left and right, but the stuff that's going.
Speaker 2: On behind you even that you know, no, even that you can replicate stuff behind you or on the sides, right, But again it's it's not gonna be truthful to the truth around sound.
Speaker 1: If you can now sean, you have a home theater where you're at, You've got a big screen that's to your left that we kind of see a little taiale of that in the background. What kind of sound did you put in there? So when you watch in a movie in this TV room, you've got you know, full sound.
Speaker 3: So I have an Ankio receiver right have all my device is going in and it's a five to one, and so I've got the sub on the floor of the center is just at the bottom of the screen. I've got two satellites that are to the left and the right of the screen. And I didn't I didn't put any rare in, right, I just have it as a four point one or a three point one right now?
Speaker 2: Why why why did you not put rear speakers in?
Speaker 1: Yeah, i'd have to run.
Speaker 3: I just never got around to running.
Speaker 2: Why not just use like rocket fish or something to do wireless?
Speaker 1: Oh there you go.
Speaker 3: Hm, never got around to it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, rocketfish that gives you the ability to expand that almost like what it's like a Bluetooth connection. Eh. Yeah, I guess in a way he.
Speaker 2: Uses Wi Fi, so it's a little bit a little bit less latency because obviously, when you're talking about audio, you don't want any latency at all.
Speaker 1: So Rocketfish uses Wi Fi. I believe I could be wrong for that, but but yeah, Rocketfish is a good I used to use.
Speaker 2: Rocketfish back in San Diego, Sean, when we had the houses back in San Diego, I used Rocketfish for both of those setups because in the apartment and in the town home, I didn't want to run wires. I couldn't run wires right right.
Speaker 1: And I could.
Speaker 3: I mean, I literally the wires are run. I just never put the speakers in.
Speaker 1: Oh no, okay, okay. So what you're saying is you're just lazy, yes, or you gotta buy a ladder. That's always my excuse.
Speaker 2: You got a drop ceiling, don't you.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I didn't want to.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, you have no excuse, Sean, no excuse that justin you've been out for almost five six weeks.
Speaker 1: It's been a while. In the meantime, you did end up buying yourself a brand new mixer for the audio version of this, And I know there are people listening that are saying, yeah, I want to start a podcast, I want to do a video cast, I want to do something you guys do. It may have looked into Riverside FM or you know, they might still be there's a lot of people out there that are still using Zoom for doing you know, remote type of things. Okay, but you decided to you needed to invest in a mixer just to bring the sound up a bit.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean the mixer was. The mixer that I had was a Barringer mixer. It was starting to kind of fail. Yeah, every time we would do pre show and he's like, hey, turn up your mic, and I'm like.
Speaker 1: I can't go any higher.
Speaker 2: Captain Like, I'm just like, yeah, the mixer was dying. So yeah, I went ahead and I bought this. Well, actually I didn't buy it. I got it for Christmas. It's a what is it called pup pup g SISU pgsis. It's a tiny little mixer. It's got two MIC inputs, it's got a music input. It's USB controlled, so everything is going through USB right now, even your microphone. I plugged this mixer in and I have a sure microphone like an actual true radio DJ microphone. Yeah, and I plugged it in right, and I'm like, I'm not hearing anything, Like why am I not hearing anything? And then it come to find out that the shore requires forty eight volt phantom like it does it requires per your set hour? Yeah, yeah, exactly, And the Barringer mixer provided that, but this one doesn't. So I had to buy another like forty dollars pre amp. I guess, yeah, preamp.
Speaker 1: There is the word, yeah, primp.
Speaker 2: And so I bought this pre amp and I just literally hooked it up tonight because I haven't been around tech talk so for a while, so I had needed to but and he's like, hey, we're doing tech talk and I'm like.
Speaker 1: Oh, okay, let me go hook this up.
Speaker 2: So I hooked it up and this is what you're hearing me on. So the mixer itself is just a little four channel mixer.
Speaker 1: It looks like a little honestly, it looks like a little gaming audio mixer. It really, honestly is.
Speaker 2: It's not a professional mixer that you would probably find in a in a true podcast or a radio DJ. But I don't need that. I mean, I'm only doing this and I don't really use this computer pretty much for anything else except for doing tech talk radio. I use my laptop for pretty much everything else. But anyway, so the mixer has the microphone input.
Speaker 1: It has music.
Speaker 2: Input, which is basically any sound from the computer. So if I want to listen to you guys, obviously it's coming through the computer. It has to go through the mixer. And then I have a monitor. But here's the coolest part.
Speaker 1: I got this.
Speaker 2: I got a reverb reverb, reverb, reverb, reverb, and I also have all right, let's hear this roll.
Speaker 1: Oh that's the best one. That's like a dayline episode. I can also do this one a little bit, a little bit deeper than me. You know, I had a pretty deep voice as well. But yeah, I think this one's better. And then I have this one.
Speaker 3: This is a female voice author.
Speaker 1: Yeah exactly. Yeah, welcome to chat.
Speaker 2: The world.
Speaker 1: Wart voice which change? You just changed this on the fly with an effects bank, Right, that's it? Oh yeah, you're scaring people now, Okay, there's some kids saying, Mommy, turn off the radio. The monsters on the radio.
Speaker 2: I do have I do have a little bit of like cool features on that, but I'm probably not going to use them unless I play games and I want to troll somebody that I might change my voice a little bit.
Speaker 1: You have, dude, you could do like twitch games or whatever. You know, you just yeah, I could do that. It just wear oh we're a hoodie, you wear wear like a hoodie and then do that voice and the next mister peanut when yeah, I think that's the name of the show this week. The next mister peanut. Oh, man, don't you love technology that came with the mixer? You're having justin you're having way too much fun with this, way too much. Yeah.
Speaker 2: O man, Hey, the whole setup, I mean, the mixer mixer was like probably fifty sixty bucks. About a pre amp was like forty, right, And obviously the credit goes to.
Speaker 1: The Sure microphone. Sure.
Speaker 2: This Sure SM seven B microphone is one of the best microphones ever made.
Speaker 1: Now Sure also has for podcasters. If anybody's thinking it's doing doing this, they have the MV seven, which is weird at the podcast or they have two models. One is USB and XLR. XLR is what a lot of professional mixers will, you know require as an input you're gonna get you're gonna get better with the xl R. Yeah you I think you do. Although I have a fine USB. I have a couple of the USB micro and they don't sound bad, you know, for somebody who doesn't want to invest four hundred dollars into a microphone. And now Sure has uh An s M seven that actually has the cloudlifter pretty much built into it. And for people don't understand cloudlifter, Matt on the who's been has been a while since you've been on the show, But Matt actually has a cloudlifter where it gives you just more base, it gives it a little more resonance, and it just it pumps up the audio much better. And that's that's in their newest uh SM seven. So if you're thinking about a microphone to have you cut our commercials, yeah, that would be great. Glad you got that set up. Sean is still doing his build of his studio. You know, we're just trying to figure out the lighting and then we found out that his desk is so far away from the microphone that he had. We're gonna get you a megaphone so that way we can hear you. Sean, give a wireless mike, you know, I the d G I Mike. Don't you have one of those? Can't you just use that?
Speaker 3: I probably could. I don't have it here.
Speaker 1: Do you actually have a Dji Mike? Really?
Speaker 3: We use them at work.
Speaker 1: Oh I didn't know that. So now why why would somebody you use a Dji mike? All right?
Speaker 3: Convenience?
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, placement, Yeah.
Speaker 3: I mean they're they have the Dji minise.
Speaker 1: Now, the Mike minis. They're only like half.
Speaker 3: Inch maybe just over a half inch by half inch really, and you can you can get them with the little windscreen on them and they just clip on there, you know, discreet enough, you can clip them right to a lapel.
Speaker 1: Right, let me ask you, guys, do do you get up set when you're watching somebody that's doing a video cast on YouTube or or Instagram or TikTok or whatever, and they're talking to somebody and they're holding that little lapel mic.
Speaker 3: That's the stupidest thing in the history of the world. It's just lazy journalism. It's not even journalism, it's just lazy production. It's that and not taking the time to hide a wired lob mic.
Speaker 2: Yeah, hold on, hold on, okay, Look, I don't want to get too deep into this. But journalism's changed, bro. It's not like you can just it's not like you just go up to somebody and say, hey, I want to put this microphone on you and ask you some questions. You just got to walk up to them and to put the microphone in their face and be like, hey, what do you think about this? So journalism's changed a little bit a lot in that. But I get what you're saying, don't get me wrong. But it doesn't bother me as much as I think it bothers you.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it seriously bothers me because the number of so because I got in trouble for doing stuff like that. If I didn't like somebody yelled at me.
Speaker 1: And now it's bad.
Speaker 3: Because of the level of productions that we did at Fox, Fox, earun Rabbits, Fox, and San Diego, there was a level standard level that we had to meet, right and in our productions for ESPN and NBC, we have to continue to meet that level of standard because of how visible it is now. Every local news market is different. If you go to all the smallest news stations, nobody's gonna care, right, They're they're all just mmj's. They're all doing it by themselves. They don't have time, they don't care, and it.
Speaker 2: Shows, Yeah, I'm not getting paid enough to care.
Speaker 3: So the production quality has gone down because the expectation of the viewer has also gone down.
Speaker 1: Yes, yeah, I think you're right.
Speaker 3: A lot of that, A lot of it was stemmed pre COVID. COVID changed everything. People just wanted to watch content, they didn't care what it looked like. And we've never recovered from that mantra.
Speaker 2: I don't think we're going to recover changed.
Speaker 1: It's changed, and.
Speaker 3: Because right the way content is ingested now, you don't watch local news anymore. I can't tell you the last time I turned out a local news channel here locally. And if I do, it's because I'm at a bar or a restaurant and I'm just making fun of it because of how bad it is. But every YouTuber does jump cuts, every YouTuber does a lave mic that's not dressed. Every YouTuber just does man on the street with a sticklike or a love mic and holds it up with the wired dangling. It looks terrible. It really, it literally looks terrible from a production standpoint, but people just don't care.
Speaker 1: This is new this is the way journalism is now.
Speaker 3: I also think too, people don't care well, just if they can see it and hear it, that's all they care about.
Speaker 1: I also think too a lot of the journalism for today it's not not necessarily what we're going to get on our television screens. It's what we're gonna get on the website. It's what extra content? What? How are we going to drive people to our website to watch content there and get an ad, you know, which is revenue generating. So in that thirty minute block of a newscast, let's have them watch what's going going on on our website.
Speaker 2: See this is this is this is the problem. And I'm not I want to preface this with saying that I'm not going to get political with this, but however, this is the problem that happens what you said, Andy, is it absolutely true you want to drive content to your website. The problem is when people go to the website, people do not have the attention span to sit there and watch through thirty to sixty second ads before they get to the content. Nor do they want to see half of the content interrupted by an ad and then the rest of the content.
Speaker 1: Have you ever done that You're watching a story and all of a sudden boom, there's an ad. Yeah, and this is why people don't. They don't.
Speaker 2: They don't go to local news anymore. They don't even go to CNN or MSNBC or Fox or whoever they go to. They go to platforms like TikTok.
Speaker 1: Or even x.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, and this is where people are getting their news from, right, And this is the way journalism is being reshaped. It's it's no longer the mainstream media anymore. And I don't care what side of the political platform you're on, you hear the same rhetoric that nobody trusts the mainstream media anymore because it's all about clicks, it's all about engagement, it's all about ads. Well, it's about how can we get people to click on this link. Well, let's let's talk about the most crazy thing ever just to get them to click on this link.
Speaker 1: One of the things I've seen a lot, and I work in media, television media as well, and I understand, you know, it's it's it's got a generate revenue, right, But one of the things that I just gets me angry, and I think it gets a lot of our locals angry. I don't know if your stations do that. We're in Denver or in South Bend. But you'll have a just a graphic just what happened here blah blah blah, But they would say anything or what television star just died blah blah. They don't give you that info. Click in the comments. Now, I don't know why does that generate something, because then you have to click, generate clicks, go to the so just just.
Speaker 3: It generates time on the website, right right, Because my understanding is that you go to a website, attracks how long you've been there, that information gets aggregated. Okay, oh I clicked twice. Now an ad servers, Oh they were here for forty five seconds instead of thirty seconds. It's how we can serve them two more ads on top, and then we can charge more.
Speaker 1: It's even more than that, all right.
Speaker 2: I work very closely with our marketing director at my company. Now, my company doesn't do as much as like an ad like a.
Speaker 1: TV station would. Okay, right, she tells me.
Speaker 2: She tells, He's like, look, not only do we track when you go to the website, Not only do we track how long you spend on the website, we can track what section of the website you're on. So if you scroll down and you want to read a certain content piece that's a little bit might like let's say three quarters down, the page will track that you've been there. Then what they do is then they turn that into what ads can we place in these sections of the website because this section, section two, out of three whatever is the most visited, So now we can charge more money for advertising on that section versus the top section, which just says welcome to the website or whatever.
Speaker 1: So like, if you're scrolling, all of a sudden, you know, little Johnny is hung gray, so you gotta go give little Johnny lunch and usually leave it there, that's gonna screw up the algorithm.
Speaker 2: Yes, everything you do every website, every second you spend on a website, every position of that website you're on, is being tracked.
Speaker 3: And where you came from and where you.
Speaker 1: Went, Oh, where you came from too, it's gonna geographical.
Speaker 2: Let's sEH, where you came from unless you're like if you go to let's say best Buy and you're searching Laveler microphones and then you go to target The first ad you're going to see is for Laveler microphones.
Speaker 1: That is why when you look for a product, you may notice when you're on the web, like just Google Baby, you might suddenly start seeing all those ads or if you click on something that is interesting, you're gonna be fed that info.
Speaker 2: Right, even if you're on a website, and let's say you have YouTube TV as your TV provider, what's gonna happen in the middle of the NFL game. You're going to get an ad for what you were searching for on the internet.
Speaker 1: We think you'd feed direct ads to your customers, Sean shaking his head. Yes they can, Yes.
Speaker 3: Of course, so anytime they go to it.
Speaker 1: So it's it's it's just like think about it, like.
Speaker 3: From a broadcast perspective, Right, you used to have natural breaks, right, you used to have local breaks. So when you did a local break, you gotta served local content. So instead of getting served national content or local content during those breaks, you're not gonna use getting served targeted content during those breaks.
Speaker 1: All right, let's speak in the breaks. We got we gotta take hold on, we got to take a break, we come back, We'll get your we'll get your thought with more of tech Talk Radio. I'm Andy Taylor, I'm Sean come your ad for lovel microphone? Yes, and I'm justin let me.
Speaker 2: Alb now back to tech talk Radio.
Speaker 3: I really enjoy listening to your show. It's really cool. Well, thanks, very informative.
Speaker 1: Rookie. Are you a rookie? I'm very much a rookie.
Speaker 2: So before the break, we were talking about how advertising and like local TV and national TV.
Speaker 1: So let me let me ask you a question.
Speaker 2: Why is it that when you turn on your local TV channels, whether it be in Tucson, Arizona there or myself here in Denver or in South Bend, Indiana, why do you see so much more local news then you would see syndicated programming?
Speaker 1: Why do you think that.
Speaker 3: Is syndicated program It costs money.
Speaker 2: And when you're in local programming, you can sell your own ads.
Speaker 3: Correct.
Speaker 2: When it comes to syndicated or what Sean was mentioning earlier, national national.
Speaker 1: Has to sell the like.
Speaker 2: So like Fox Fox Primetime you're talking about like Mass Singer, or CBS with Survivor or NBC with whatever the hell they got, they're having to sell national ads.
Speaker 1: So they don't get paid for that, got it?
Speaker 2: But then they might, they might get thirty seconds on the back end. That's why you'll see all these sky Rizzy and all these other.
Speaker 1: Like no Razzy, not sky Rizzy, ski Rizzy, sky Rizzy, sky Rizzy, I don't care. So it's like a guy I used to hang out with Las Vegas. Yeah, yeah, all.
Speaker 2: These medical ads to make you think you have a disease you probably don't. And then at the very end they'll be like, Hi, I'm ed from Ed's TVs down the street, and then they go back to the corner, they go back to the show.
Speaker 1: So that's where they've made their money, or that's where they made their money. So why do you think now?
Speaker 2: So like, for instance, my my station I used to work for here in Denver, Fox thirty one. They used to have morning news from four thirty until ten.
Speaker 1: Now now, even then, even then.
Speaker 2: They were still local because if you look at CBS or NBC, they cut to CBS Morning, or they cut to the NBC Today show, Good Morning America or Good Morning America on ABC.
Speaker 1: Yep.
Speaker 2: Sure on at like eight am they cut to the national So now they lose all this profit. Fox thirty one, they stayed in local from four thirty until ten. Now they're staying local from four thirty till twelve.
Speaker 1: Wow. Wow.
Speaker 2: And because because this is how they can earn money, they cut out shows like Judge Judy and I think they were showing Jerry Springer at one point, I don't know, at whatever, Yeah, but they were showing these syndicated shows because they didn't have talent to be on the air all that time. The longer you can be on air local, the more money you can make locally.
Speaker 1: A lot of the stations I've noticed, and I was talking with guy actually who you know I work with here the same thing. We've noticed a lot of young talent. There's a lot of young reporters and it and they're they're learning, you know, they're they're good. But we're seeing a lot more younger talent that is being featured through those time slots and they're getting invaluable experience and it really they truly are. Yeah, And so I mean that's pretty good. We've had a few from Tucson that have gone off to the bigger markets, you know, and and working in New York, LA and other towns.
Speaker 2: I've got to say, I got two quick little things to say about this. I love being that I've worked in big markets. I've I've worked in television in San.
Speaker 1: Diego with Ron Burgundy, right, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, Rob Burgundy station.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I've also worked in television in Denver. Sean, you've worked in television and Grand Rapids, which is a smaller market, but you also worked in San Diego with me. Now, let me ask you this, Sean, simple yes or no? Can you tell the difference between a large market talent and a small market talent?
Speaker 3: Absolutely?
Speaker 2: Really, I I absolutely can too, because when I go back to visit my mom or something, and I see the local news there and I see these.
Speaker 1: People, they look like they literally just got to a high school.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and they can barely speak on air, like I mean, don't get me wrong, They're doing their best, but they're they're young, they're green, right, Yeah. You go to places like Los Angeles, San Diego, Denver, Chicago. These people are experienced. They know exactly like me, me doing this show, Sean doing the show. Andy, You've been a radio DJ so many years. We know how to present ourselves in our particular format, right right. It takes time to learn that. But yes, when you go to a small market and you watch the local news, these people who are just like, so, yeah, today it's gonna be like forty degrees and we might get a little bit of snow.
Speaker 1: That's a great, great weather forecast. I think we need to inject more humanity and more humor. But then again, we're talking news. Sometimes you can't be humorous. But I mean maybe maybe I don't know if that because that's what people are getting online. You know, they watch somebody well, they want they want quality content, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 3: And they want familiar and likable.
Speaker 1: People, right exactly. I'm sorry.
Speaker 2: It's hard to like somebody who's just like literally out of college who was doing weather, and I'm like, why am I listening to you?
Speaker 1: We got him listening. We got a guy out here that does weather. And I remember the first time I saw him on a later cast, I had not met him in person. I thought, oh, my gosh, he looks like a kid. I mean he really looked like a fifteen year old kid. And then I met him, the most eloquent, smart, savvy, hardworking kid I'd ever met. And he you know what, Once I got past that.
Speaker 2: And got to know him a little more, I thought this guy's really good. So again, I'm not trying to I'm not trying to discount these people. I'm not trying to say they suck. It's just they're they're they're new, they're green. They don't It's like when I first started radio.
Speaker 1: Like, oh I remember, so I was there and burying Andy or coming on a little bit late, driving in and listening and going oh boy, yeah no, I mean, yeah, that's the way I was when I was a kid.
Speaker 2: Right, I mean I get it, I get it. But with life comms experience. But exactly, you can definitely tell small market talent from big market talent.
Speaker 1: All Right. We wanted to get some listener questions in because we've had some good ones that have come in.
Speaker 3: Linda is so yeah, we've really had some good questions, I'm telling you, yeah, and I want to thank you. We've gotten feedback, We've had people respond to the answer to our questions. We've gotten likes on our videos that we've posted about those questions. So they keep sending the questions because they've been awesome.
Speaker 1: Exactly, and this one from Linda here and Salwadita said last month, I listened and heard Sean, there you go. Sean mentioned he wanted a Flipper zero. I looked it up and now my feet is full of flippers zeros. Thanks Sean. See, we were just talking about this, she said, just kidding, but I want to know are they illegal? And what is really so good about them? My son has asked for one, but really wasn't sure about this technology and do I need to be a genius to set it up? Linda? First of how old is your son? Yeah?
Speaker 2: She didn't say, yeah, your son is Linna didn't say how old are Yeah, Linda. If your son is young, and let's say I don't know, ten to sixteen years old and wants a Flipper zero, they're probably going to be doing some illegal stuff.
Speaker 1: With really okay?
Speaker 3: Oh right, So the flipper zero is basically a hardware hacking tool. Right. It will replicate Wi Fi signals, It'll capture RFID tags, NFC like all this.
Speaker 1: It can control bar TVs with like r no with oh god, got it.
Speaker 3: It's got an IRD transmitter in it. It can be programmed for all sorts of stuff you can get. You can get add ons for it. It's not something you want to give children.
Speaker 1: Okay, let me put it this way.
Speaker 2: The Flipper zero is an amazing device period. Yeah, Okay, it's a great learning tool for cybersecurity. It's a great tool to learn just technology in general. However, with that being said, with great power comes great responsibility.
Speaker 1: Oh boy, and you want to know the one thing I was going to do with it?
Speaker 3: What if I got it? But is replicate all of the ambos for the Nintendo Yep, Oh, you could do that.
Speaker 2: Then you can just call them up and set it out on thousands of dollars of ambos, right, so you can just scan the ambos.
Speaker 3: Okay, stores it and then you can put it on your switch and it'll recall the AMBO like you can store RFID.
Speaker 1: People.
Speaker 2: Okay, first off, people don't understand what the heck you're talking about.
Speaker 1: I have no idea what it is. These are little RFID.
Speaker 2: Figurines that you can buy that will if you play the game that the character is represented inside of the game, it'll give you an extra feature or a new clothing said, or just a new power or whatever you want in the game. What Sean's talking about is basically taking thousands of dollars worth of amebos, which you can buy a game stop and other in Amazon and things and just replicating them on a single device, so whenever he wants to use them, he can just whip out the flipper and scan the you know, quote unquote a meebo and get the benefits of that amoebo without actually having to pay for it. Right, So again, illegal content?
Speaker 1: Okay, Now, I know I've seen people say you could control like gate arms, but does it mean you can you can get out without paying attention? Is that what they're talking about? Okay, okay, okay, Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yes, there are just Spencer ton on the internet. You can look it up yourselves. But there are plenty of legal things you can do with them. There are plenty of gray area things you can do with them, and there are plenty of illegal things.
Speaker 1: You can do. So basically a computer, yeah, but it's it's more for r F r F I D.
Speaker 3: I'm saying.
Speaker 2: There's there's plenty of legal things you can do with the computer. There's plenty of great things you can do with computer. Okay, plenty of illegal things you can do with.
Speaker 1: All right, if somebody like if so. Last night, as a matter of fact, I was checking my camera before I went to bed over the driveway and I saw I thought, is that the cat again? A black cat comes by? Right? And I saw it look walking instead of heading into our pushes with a flipper zero. No, what a zapp cat. But it walked. It walked to the end of the sidewalk, and I thought, let me see on the doorbell camera. And I looked and it was a poor little mangy dog like I thought it was a cat. It was so skinny and it was a dog. If this dog would have had an a microchip, I could use the the flipper zero to read it and figure out who it belonged to.
Speaker 2: Right, Well, no, it would just give you the microchip data.
Speaker 1: Oh okay, we'll tell you it belongs to John. You would read it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you would give you a readout of here's the information on the RFID and then you can use that.
Speaker 1: It depends on what type of tag.
Speaker 2: Because my cats had tags that literally just read out an RFID chip number. That number meant nothing to anybody unless.
Speaker 1: You took it to a vet. The vet could access a database.
Speaker 2: Now there are other chips out there that would act as like an actual name tag. So if you scan the chip it'll say it belongs to Andy Taylor at such and such address, But normally the chips just read out a number.
Speaker 1: Is it worth it? So obviously for Linda it sounds like if her son is wonning it, we don't know how older son is.
Speaker 2: I mean maybe I would say not no, all right, no, let let them let them become an adult and let them do that yourself, because I'm sorry, Linda.
Speaker 1: Liability, Yeah, exactly, Let.
Speaker 2: Them become an adult. Be be careful of what you do with the flipper zero. Let them know the dangers of it. Let them know that this thing is a very dangerous tool if used in the improper ways, and then absolve yourself of that liability by letting them become an adult and doing what they.
Speaker 1: Want, which is your child. If you think about flipper zero, it's the same thing we do with our kids on the internet, right. I mean, you don't just put a seven year old or eight year old in front of a computer and say, here, go ahead, go online, have fun. Wait, I mean you're not sposed to do for me. I I did that. The internet was a little different back then, Sean, Yeah, and it took you an hour to load up a website.
Speaker 2: I let my son on the internet, but at least I watch him. I watch everything that he does on the internet. Yeah, so with a flipper zero, you can't do that.
Speaker 1: All right, I got a joke before you for you guys, before we go to break, I wanted to share with you. I was so confused last night as my printer started playing music, the paper was jamming. No, I got a better one.
Speaker 2: What I call a rooster staring at a piece of lettuce?
Speaker 1: What do you call a rooster staring at a piece of lettus?
Speaker 2: What is it a chicken sees a salad. We'll be right back.
Speaker 1: And now back to tech talk radio.
Speaker 3: So I didn't get to sell a joke because Joe Yes entered it on a mic drop.
Speaker 1: That was a good joke.
Speaker 3: So did you know that dogs can't do MRIs but cat scan?
Speaker 1: My god? Okay, d that was actually pretty good.
Speaker 3: Here here's here's my all time favorite joke that he told me.
Speaker 1: All right, why are.
Speaker 3: There pop tarts but no mom tarts?
Speaker 1: Why are there pop tarts but no mom like? You know?
Speaker 2: Actually, I went on on a walk yesterday and my wife asked me how long a you be gone? I said, the whole time.
Speaker 3: Wait, I wonder know.
Speaker 1: Why they're no mom tarts.
Speaker 3: So the joke is, why are there pop tarts but no mom tarts? Right, the answer is because of the patriarchy.
Speaker 1: Oh go lord, Oh oh okay, that's hard, all right.
Speaker 2: Some of the funniest things I didn't let that one land, Shawn, Yeah, sorry, Yeah.
Speaker 1: That's all right. Some of the funniest things about cs were the the ideas that that happened, and they put stuff out and they say people are gonna love this, and then people just go, are you kidding me? One of those that I wanted to mention, and you can find it now. It's a non reusable lollipop that plays music through vibrations in your jaw. It's called the Lollipops Star from Lava Tech and the amous Tasty Sounds Audio lollipops. They use bone conduction. I had to send music vibrations through your teeth. Oh that's just great. All my crowns are gonna break and jaw directly to your inner ear. I've used the bone conduction headphones from Mojaba, which are great. They're nine bucks for a lollipop. But if you want to have a song play while you're having your lollipop.
Speaker 2: There you go, Yeah, I don't want to spend nine bucks to have that and have to spend one hundred and fifty bucks to get my crown replaced.
Speaker 1: And you you get a dumb dumb for what twenty five cents? Yeah, or by no tuting in to me?
Speaker 2: I know we're talking about cees, but I want to mention last week we took my son to a Great Wolf Lodge.
Speaker 1: Okay, oh, I want to check that place out that looks in Phoenix.
Speaker 2: It's a good place. It definitely is more like family friendly. I would highly recommend you take your grandchildren over there. But it's definitely family friendly. But we went to the bar area and I was sitting down and I was looking at the bartender and he was wearing these pair of glasses that just looked a little bit different. And I asked him, I said, are you are you wearing the Meta Yeah, I had a glass of the Meta ray bands and he's like, yeah, actually I am, And so I asked him about that. He goes, well, these are the first edition, so they don't do like the what do you call? Yeah, there's the onscreen display like in your lens, the hud. Yeah, they don't do the hud. Yeah, they don't do the hud. But he's like, they do offer obviously recording. If I press the button, it'll start recording. And then he did that, and all of a sudden, the light turned on and I'm like, oh, you're recording me. And then he's like, also, the best part about it is listening to music. He goes one of the company policies here was that we're not allowed to wear earbuds. So he's like, I just bought the Meta ray bands and I can. I can listen to music and they don't even know because they think I'm just wearing glasses. And I'm like, no way, let me see that. And he's like, I'll let you wear them. So he wiped him off for me, gave him to me, and I put him on, and I swear to god, it sounded like I had earbuds in in the crazy, even though it was just simply bone conduction from the the ear arm. I guess you could say of the of the glasses going behind my ear bone.
Speaker 1: I don't know. I'm not a doctor. I don't know. The Majawas were like that, but they were a little tinmy I thought.
Speaker 2: This sounded great, This sounded great, and he said these were only like three ninety nine. The new the new Meta ray bands, the ones that with the hud Sean mentioned, those are like eight ninety nine and they come with a little wrist thing where you can do like wrist movements and then it will like make the screen change or whatever. I don't know, but I gotta say, just listening for a couple of minutes with the original rate of Meta ray bands, the sound quality was actually really good.
Speaker 1: To make you want to get one. No, no, no, not quite. There's so many privacy things with those though, I mean is Iniry.
Speaker 2: Though, well yeah, because he's like, well, the whole recording thing. He's like, uh, you know, people sell these stickers that you can put over the lens or not the lens, but the.
Speaker 1: Light that shines up.
Speaker 2: But the thing is is Meta has actually a they have an IR sensor inside of the light itself or some sort of a sensor that determines if you're blocking the light, it won't allow you to record.
Speaker 1: H Okay.
Speaker 2: So all these people that are selling these things like, hey, buy these stickers to block the lights, and people don't know you're recording. It doesn't work because Meta blocks you from doing that.
Speaker 1: So but I do like that.
Speaker 2: I do like the ability, Like if I'm out on the street or whatever and I need to record something quickly, I don't necessarily have the time to grab my phone, you know. And yes, I get it, okay, Oh, doubletop the power button to bring up the camera.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I get it. Okay.
Speaker 2: But field is tap your glasses once and then being able to look at whatever you're looking at is being recorded.
Speaker 1: That's kind of cool. I know somebody that is using it as a replacement for a dash cam, which you know, reallys are great. But when he goes for a drive, if it's during the day, it'll just pop pop the uh, the Meta's in and that becomes his dashcam. And I guess, you know, I guess that works pretty good. I don't know. I would anticipate that we're going to see more of that technology and they're going to make a better, better batteryly life. I know that the newest metas you get a longer battery life with them, so and that works out pretty good. Here's a couple of silly ideas though. At ces Samsung as part of its update to the Family Hub where there's no there's no handles on this refrigerator. So now using oh boy, big spe remember big sb Uh.
Speaker 2: You know I don't remember big spe because busy sucks.
Speaker 1: Bigsby was just you could tell it open the door or shut the fridge door. You know, I could see it telling me that I shouldn't be eating anymore and not opening it for me anymore. I want the left umber pizza though, please, Big sb No.
Speaker 2: No.
Speaker 1: The other one is coffee makers that are now voice enabled. I see a benefit in this one. When you don't want to get up, walk to the fridge, push the brew button. Now you could just be laying in bed saying, you know, brew me a coffee. Okay, coffee on its leg. If it sounds like that, I don't need the coffee. And then this is the most ridiculous one. Apparently they're working on it. Not available yet. The AI robotic barber Okay, no, no, nope, nope, nope. I mean one could go wrong. You have a robot cutting your hair.
Speaker 2: Sweet imagine if the barber that the AI barber got a got a razor shave license.
Speaker 1: Oh boy, you're not getting.
Speaker 3: We're just when I saw though, it's called a toilet mounted computer that uses cameras and microphones.
Speaker 1: No, are you kidding me? One more time? One more time? Say that one more time, please.
Speaker 3: A toilet mounted computer that uses cameras and microphones to analyze your bowel movements. Designed to establish a personal baseline for your bathroom habits.
Speaker 1: You can't get more personal than that.
Speaker 3: But you just talked about you know you're gonna see more technology cameras everywhere.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well there you go. Oh yes, you're having too much fun with that, all right, I.
Speaker 3: Mean outside outside of the weird stuff, right, It's just there was AI in just about everything, yes, and well.
Speaker 2: They were, they were having what was it the Jensen Jensen Wang, the CEO of Nvidia, all right, went on stage for like a keynote, and he said the word AI like twenty five times in like five minutes.
Speaker 1: Oh wow, it was. It was ridiculous. Yeah, like, enough with the AI.
Speaker 2: I mean, honestly, people don't realize this, but like when you're talking about AI, you're thinking, oh cool, this is this really cool assistant where I can just ask a question and blah blah blah. You don't realize the footprint of the data center that has to power this AI. Yeah, this, I mean these things take up like hundreds of acres. Well, obviously get smarter as humans going on that right now. This is just it's not energy efficient. Like if you, okay, h Alexa, give me a recipe for you know, chicken catchatory. Well that's good it okay, fine, sure you got a recipe for kitten chicken catchatory. But you realize that you've just taken up about the amount of power it would take to power a small African village for six weeks.
Speaker 1: I still't know if it's that just for asking about catchatory. I don't think. I don't know.
Speaker 3: I mean, regardless if you're using AI or not, the data is getting like the powers on at those data centers, and we have one that's potentially coming down the road from us here in Indiana.
Speaker 2: Right Well, the power is on, but it's not being pulled. When these GPUs get used and they're being processing a request from a user, they're going to be taking more power. The more requests that come in, the more power has to be drawn.
Speaker 1: Got it all right? Here's one from Larry Listener, question Larry and Tucson said, wondering if you guys is very quick to the point, wondering if you guys had checked out this game Stardu Valley. Oh, I'm I I know nothing about it, I said, I will ask the guys because I know nothing about it. Sean, you played that right.
Speaker 3: This is one of those hold on, well, this is one of those games that I have.
Speaker 1: I've bought you bought it? Wow, I did, But I am.
Speaker 3: No, I will. I refuse to play it because I know I will get sucked in and it'll be everything I want.
Speaker 1: To do for the next thank you. Ah. So it's an addictive fun is it fun game?
Speaker 3: It's it's yeah, I've heard nothing but great things. It falls in line with some games I love growing up Harvest Moon sixty four for example, And I know just the way I am. I would spend a ridiculous amount of time that I don't have in playing this game.
Speaker 1: So I own it.
Speaker 3: I own it, and at some point I will play it, but not right now because I don't have time.
Speaker 2: I got Okay, Sean, do you understand that the basis of Stardow Valley was okay? First off, the game was made by one guy It was made by one person, and it continues to this day to be made by one person. This person created that game out of frustration for Harvest Moon not coming out with a new game.
Speaker 3: Correct.
Speaker 2: He wanted the new Harvest Moon and they would not release it, so he said, fine, I'm gonna make my own game based on a Harvest Moon yep, but with an extra story. So yes, this game was created by one person. Sean is correct. This game is so addicting.
Speaker 1: I've put.
Speaker 2: About one hundred hours into the game.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 2: My mom, however, I introduced her to that game. She this game was the reason why mom bought a Steam deck. You have a PC or a console, she bought a Steam.
Speaker 1: Deck for this game. My mom has put over seven hundred hours into Stardow Valley. All right, Stardu Valley, Our listeners can want to look it up. One joke before we go to a break. Are you ready? Why did the computer go to the dentist because it tooth hurt? Which kind of tooth.
Speaker 3: Because it took a micro bite no to.
Speaker 1: Get his bluetooth checked. Oh, we'll be right back. I'm Andy Taylor.
Speaker 2: And I'm justin Let me have plenty more better jokes than that.
Speaker 1: But we'll be right back and now fact to tech talk radio. Be sorry, really bad one.
Speaker 3: Here's another one of my favorites. All right, out of all the nights of the round Table, who is the least recognized?
Speaker 1: I don't know?
Speaker 3: Sircumference?
Speaker 1: Oh my god? Okay, you know what I'm done? Good night, guys. All right? Wait, do you guys get ridiculous text messages? Yeah? All right? And how do you handle it? All right? Well, I got one today. It says hello Andy Taylor and there was no space between hello, So obviously you know that was just a notes. No, that was the way why you're way you're looking at I put it in the notes says happy New Year? Are she still at Tucson of America?
Speaker 2: What the heck is Tucson of America?
Speaker 1: Exactly? Maybe we should get together sometimes. And the thing is I have friends that are always so proud that they were able to interact with these obviously spams, And they say, how I treat you? Treating a skimp, scammer and a spammer. However, this is not a good idea. You get these texts, don't reply to it, even to say stop refly replying means that that's a real number. They don't know. It just goes goes out. Obviously they have info they've bought, they've got on a database somewhere. Do not click any links, definitely don't do that, and do not provide any personal infos such as address financial details, social media handles, and do block the senders number immediately. You can call it spam, all right, Just yeah, totally something to think about.
Speaker 2: Obviously, my pixel phone handles most of my spam for me, so I don't Pixel good. And that's what I love about the phones. They're so good at screening calls. They're so good at screening spam, right, I hardly.
Speaker 3: Use Usually mine comes up that says possible spam.
Speaker 2: Yeah, same here, possible spam when yeah, But mine, I've got mindset a little bit higher where obviously if it says possible spam, it just automatically denies it. Now I have gotten legitimate phone calls that have gone straight to spam from people at my office and they finally get a hold of me some a different way and they're like, every time I call you, it goes straight to voicemail. And I'm like, yeah, well, because your number is coming up as spam and he's like, yeah, I bought this phone and it used to the number used to belong to some Oh never thought of a flower company or whatever that went out of business or you know, something like that. And I'm like, well, like I can't help that, all right.
Speaker 1: I found a website, flash museum dot org. Be careful of the website you visit when you see those videos online on Facebook. Here's a website usually UTA know about, but I did check this one out. Games you can play online. One of the games I played was Tuper Tario Tros. It's basically Super Mario Brothers. But again all flash games. But again, careful of these websites. What was it again, flash museum dot org. And is my childhood right there? Right? All right? So many games on here, and then they got Jack Smith.
Speaker 3: There are so many games on here that I used to play Flash Gas. Oh, I know what I'm doing for the rest of the night.
Speaker 1: Now, oh great, all right, that's it for this week's Tech Talk Radio. While Sean goes off and plays game Justin looks for new jokes, and we'll have more of tech Talk Radio next week. I'm Andy Taylor, I'm Sean de Weird and I'm Justin.
Speaker 2: Let me find us on the web at tech talk radio dot com.
Speaker 1: Have yourselves a great week. We'll see you