Speaker 1: How'd you like to listen to dot net rocks with no ads? Easy? Become a patron for just five dollars a month. You get access to a private RSS feed where all the shows have no ads. Twenty dollars a month. We'll get you that and a special dot net Rocks patron mug. Sign up now at Patreon dot dot NetRocks dot com. Hey guess what, it's dot net rocks all over again. I'm Carl Franklin at Amateur Campbell and H Richard. You're still in Canada? A, yeah, yeah, it's nice here. Yeah cool. That's all I'm gonna say about that. We love Canada.
Speaker 2: Well.
Speaker 1: Before we get into better no framework, let's just talk a little bit about nineteen forty. Kind of an important year. Episode nineteen forty, Episode nineteen forty. So the year nineteen forty saw the beginning of World War two's escalation anyway, the signing of the Selective Training and Service Act, which established the first peacetime draft in the US, and the release of Disney's animated film Fantasia Nice. Additionally, the US made agreements to transfer destroyers to Great Britain in exchange for military base leases. As you do you have anything to add? I mean, a lot of stuff happened in nineteen forty A lot.
Speaker 2: Of stuff happened. But you know, my personal favorite would be the Jeep. Oh yeah, Yeah. The US realized it needed a lightweight, recon vehicle, something they could be all terrain, and they put out or bids basically to car companies in the US. Everybody scrambled around. It's a crazy story that this little car company called the Bantam Car, a motor car company in Pennsylvania, hired a guy from Detroit named Carl Probst who in a week basically designed that the prototype of the Jeep.
Speaker 1: That's longer than it took them to create JavaScript, which I believe wasn't a week.
Speaker 2: This was a car anyway. Yeah, at the beginning of the Jeep comes with a part of the World War Two.
Speaker 1: And you know, I know this little factoid about Jeep. I don't remember the character's name, but there was a character on the cartoon Popeye, right that's related to the Jeep. And it was a character. All right, I'm gonna have to since you got Eugene the Jeep, Yeah, that's it, Eugene the Jeep. And it was all right, I don't know as much.
Speaker 2: As you said. Jeep jeep.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he used to say jeep, jeep jeep.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, yellow weird yellow critter.
Speaker 1: I'm one of them. Started the other like it might have been that critter that named the jeep, or it might have been the jeep that inspired the cartoon character. I can't remember which it is.
Speaker 2: But yeah, jeep. It was a perversion of an acronym for a general purpose vehicle.
Speaker 1: Okay, so it comes through with the facts. Yeah, okay, Well let's get into better no framework, this is a good one. Roll the music, what you got. It's an article in the Verge. There's lots of articles around it. But this is where I learned about a new way of capturing three D content called Gauschian splatting.
Speaker 2: Because we always trust a technology called plastic slatting.
Speaker 1: Yes, so the the whole idea between Gauchian splatting is rather than let me see if I can just sort of you know, nail it down the ideas instead of doing sort of vectorizing and turning things into triangles, and the more triangles you have, the better resolution you have. This sort of of creates well, you know, a Gaussian blurring is right. Yeah, so it creates these sort of blurry things that compound on top of each other and make up a more realistic looking three D image. But here's the cool part about splatting is that you can do it in real time. It can render in real time at one hundred frames a second.
Speaker 2: Computationally efficient would be a way to say it, as well as being small.
Speaker 1: Very computationally efficient. Yeah, so I can see this coming to all the major tools. There are tools that you can use now, but they're sort of add ins, and it'll become more mainstream. But I think it's really really cool. It's going to make for some amazing games and some amazing three D experiences. Just the whole idea of going out with a camera, taking some video or taking pictures and then stitching them together and creating a three D model of that. Now that can be pretty much in real time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's interesting, very cool. We're getting to you know, what's cool is what we've been able to do. This is just computationally intensive. This is clever tricks to reduce the number of bits that need to be hauled around to get the same similar results.
Speaker 1: Anyway, maybe not exactly, so I think it's a kind of a breakthrough. So that's what I got. Who's talking to us today? Richard grabbed a comment of a show nineteen thirty five. Just a few weeks ago, we talked to Nathan Westfall about his app that he might the mobile app he was working on that migrated from Reforms to Blazer. This comment for Rob King, I thought was relevant to what we were talking about today, where I said where he says, I've been doing small stuff in Blazer since not at five and late twenty twenty three, we had the opportunity to build a greenfield app with a tight deadline. While Nathan's app sounds a bit more complex than ours, a lot of his reasons and decisions around Blazer resonated with our thoughts and considerations. I build Blazer using all the hosting models, but I still to fall to WASM for its clean separation of client server responsibilities. If I can do everything in the browser that reacted anger can do, but can write it the same language as a back end, why would it choose anything else? Why would you?
Speaker 2: Well? And the argumator for a reactor course is if I can write everything in JavaScript front end and back end. Why wouldn't choose anything else?
Speaker 1: Absolutely? I guess it all depends on what your skill set is. And yeah, you know what's your language of choice?
Speaker 2: Too sweet? How are you happy? Absolutely so, Rob, Thank you so much for your comment. And the copy of music coby is on its way to you. And if you'd like a copy of music Cobey, I write a comment on the website attrocks dot com or on the facebooks. We publish every show there and if you comment there and I read in the show, we'll send you a copy of music Cope.
Speaker 1: Music to Code Buy has a new episode track. I guess we call them let me say that again, Yeah, the tracks all right, Music code by has a new track track number twenty two. You can go get it or download the whole thing as MP three's waves or flax and that is it music to code dot net flat awesome not half flat flat flag. So yeah, And you can also find us on the social media's which include ex Twitter, Mastadon and Blue Sky and where some you know some version of at Carl Franklin, at Rich Campbell.
Speaker 2: Okay, yep, across the wall.
Speaker 1: So let's bring back Aurora Aurora Sharf She was Aurora Wohlberg last time we talked. She's a software developer and Microsoft MVP from Norway. Aurora began her career at a financial technology startup and now serves as consultant at Crayon Consulting. She focuses on web development and has extensive expertise in React and next dot JS and active use of React server components. She shares her knowledge through workshops, technical blog posts, social media, demo apps, and supporting fellow developers, and she regularly presents internationally at recognized conferences to contribute to the global developer community. Welcome back, Aurora, Hi.
Speaker 3: Thank you for having me back. Get to see you guys, singin.
Speaker 2: That's normally where we hang up is at the various conferences we both here in.
Speaker 1: It was so much fun last time, and you've got some new stuff to talk about, so why not.
Speaker 3: Yeah, last time I was NBC Portal and it's it's different now we're doing it online, but it's fun. Yeah this way as well.
Speaker 1: And amazingly everything's working today. Don't chinx it oh far. I know lately Riverside has been kind of hostile towards people who want to use it as in you can't use your microphone or your camera. What are you crazy?
Speaker 2: Yeah, so it's funny how this stuff that works suddenly gets cranked here. Yeah, so what's up with React these days?
Speaker 3: There are lots When I was with you guys last year year or it was actually was it, yeah, twenty three us, the whole cervic component thing was pretty new. But since then it's i mean, React nineteen is released. We have lots of progression and frameworks that are using server components. So yeah, it's a lot more stable and developed now. Definitely nice.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so it's grown up a bit. Yeah, we're on the nineteenth version of React. That was quick.
Speaker 3: Yep, yep was it? I think it's been four years since the eighteen if I'm not mistaken with hooks. Okay, well, actually it's been a very long time.
Speaker 2: Well, and I like when you're getting that mature, it should slow down, right, Like, I've been kind of disturbed at how quickly Angular has been creaking out A version or two a year just seems like a bit much if you're living in that.
Speaker 1: Ecosystem, especially if they're breaking changes. Yeah, I've what I I did take a look at reacts for a while and what I liked about it was this sort of the fluent composition of it, and it seemed pretty simple to create React components, you know, if you do know anything about JavaScript, it felt very comfortable. Definitely, What are some of your favorite features?
Speaker 3: I love JSX I think just it feels like you're just flowing through the development process and creating components that you can use across each each other, inside each other, past props. I don't know. It feels like a very natural model to me from building maintainable apps.
Speaker 2: So what's JSX.
Speaker 3: It's the templating language that is used in React. So that's what lets you like do your conditional rendering like straight inside your HTML.
Speaker 2: Interesting.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and you can basically create markup like you would create a JavaScript variable, right yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's great, It's really great. And JSX, I mean that's been kind of used as a template for a lot of other frameworks, like for example, Astro, which is a different framework, is using their own sort of JS So clearly people like this, right well.
Speaker 1: People have always really liked being able to blend markup and code together in easy ways, you know, and sometimes not so easy way. It's like I remember I don't know if you remember the first ASP active server pages where it was yeah, you could have mostly mark up with a little code. You could have mostly code with a little markup. You could mix and match, and you know, it was a big messa.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it always felt like right only stuff like this. Stuff's easy to crank out, but boy, it's tough to debug.
Speaker 1: Or consolutely horrible to debug. Yeah, So what's the debugging situation with reacting? What tools do you use to do that?
Speaker 3: I mean it's always console log for me, I don't know. I think this is like a very It varies from person to person.
Speaker 2: But for me, you're so old school.
Speaker 3: Also, long is great, and there's some.
Speaker 1: How many times have you written console log? Got here?
Speaker 3: That's usually log something that's not explaining enough, and then I have to go and add it later. So that's my problem.
Speaker 2: Yeah, God, here's one thing should never get here is enough? Never can't Why are you here? You can't be here?
Speaker 3: But yeah, with typescript, I mean you don't really debug that much. I guess it was different before when you're using just yeah, yes, but types you don't really end up in those where what is happening?
Speaker 1: You know as much in Typescript and JSX play well together, do they?
Speaker 3: Yeah? Yeah, I don't know if I could ever code pack.
Speaker 2: Oh wow, but you know, it's an interesting part of the tooling is to think in terms of I will only do this with these tools together.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, true.
Speaker 2: So is GSX really part of reactor? It seems like a more generalized, you know, way of describing.
Speaker 3: Ah in writing, I'm pretty sure JSX is a reacting Yeah.
Speaker 1: Is a reacting but yeah, it's defined it react dot org. Yeah yeah, but.
Speaker 2: It does seem like folks really like it, like it's kind of.
Speaker 3: Everywhere looking around for Yeah, yeah.
Speaker 2: Certainly specifically mentioned in the typescript docs too. Is you know, do it this way? M hmm, okay, so we uh we we're happy with this? Is there is there particular features and React nineteen that are important because it been this many years, Like what were they holding back on?
Speaker 3: Well? React nineteen is kind of split into this improvement section, which is more for upgrading into and whatever it's going to help you with your client side apps that you already have, and then it's the new features that are primarily for the service side of things or integrating the server and the client in smooth ways. So that's kind of the trend of nineteen. I guess you have improvements and then you have new features that work really well or are for the service side.
Speaker 2: So it seems to me that nineteen is really the version where server components grows up, Like it was an add on in eighteen and now it's like, no, this is a corporal to what we're doing. You want to do service side rendering, you use server components.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and according to the React blog, the biggest feature of React nineteen is that it's now stable. Yeah, so that's really good.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it took a while, it had a bit of it was I mean React coff was in May twenty twenty four, which is like the release it was the RS well it was the RC, but then it took until I think December twenty twenty four before it was actually released because of some suspense behavior changing drama that they were able to fix in collaboration with the community.
Speaker 1: So yeah, right, what is suspense?
Speaker 2: In some ways, you only know when you get it out into the world and different devs beat on it and do things too, and you're like, huh, didn't think of that.
Speaker 1: So suspense is a feature of components. So you can suspend a component, is that it?
Speaker 2: Ah?
Speaker 3: Yeah, so it's you're going to suspend. I don't know the exact definition, but you typically to suspend something that's not ready yet. So it could be for lazy loading or with server components, it would be a servi component that's not ready yet.
Speaker 1: Right, so instead of littering your code with boolean flags you know, loaded loaded now no really loaded?
Speaker 3: Yeah, suspenses. And the reason suspense is so great is because it lets you define this fallback property so that you can easily define your skeleton, your eye, all of that. And yeah, it's a great pattern.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's pretty cool. And so I guess it was really improved in nineteen.
Speaker 3: Well, it works with server components. It really completes the server component model.
Speaker 2: Nice. Yeah, well, what's the fallback position if the server component doesn't show up? Like this sounds like a pretty tricky problem.
Speaker 3: So, I mean, we didn't really talk about server components that much yet. But yeah, when you're waiting, I mean don't know, I don't know if you want to go back a little bit, sure, Yeah, Well, server components can be async, so when they're not ready, when they're still running on the server, you can't show them, right, and if you don't deal with that, you would be it will be like this NPA behavior where you can't go to the next page. So what you do is you actually suspend or you wrap them with suspense, and then you use streaming to stream in that those pieces of the tree with that component with a fallback you.
Speaker 1: I so is there a concept of pre rendering?
Speaker 3: Oh? I mean it depends. I mean in a way, server components are pre rendered because they're run on the server, right, So it's kind of like SSR also, which is also surrendering in that sense.
Speaker 1: So while it's rendering, you can't access it, so it's suspended. While it's rendering.
Speaker 3: You would want to suspend it, yeah, so that you can see something and the user would not be blocked from going to your page.
Speaker 1: Well okay, so so you the fallback is what you're talking about, like a placeholder placeholder?
Speaker 3: Yeah, placeholder?
Speaker 2: Yeah, right, while you why at least show something while you wait to load, or at least say hey, this isn't isn't or what if it isn't coming like.
Speaker 1: Right, nope, there's no button yet, or the button is disabled. You gotta wait.
Speaker 3: And if you've been on like any any good modern app, you'll see lots of skeletons right all over. But if they're good, you don't think about them that much. Right, it just feels like, Okay, I'm just waiting for this. So that's the goal, right. You want it to feel like it's.
Speaker 2: It's like a div tag. It's a block that's sort of pulsing because it's waiting for something to load, Like it gives you a visual indicator that something will happen here, it's just not happened yet.
Speaker 3: Okay, so that's definitely there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we're definitely playing this game of ACYNC all the things so that you're not waiting lineally for each piece and bits can load as needed. Like it is clever that the trick is writing manageable code for that. Like that to me is we want all this a Synchristess. What we don't want is the debug nightmare of why is this not behaving correctly? What happens when it comes in a different order, and not having to own any of that problem. Okay. So, and when we talked last time, server components was brand new, and you did have some warnings and stuff for us, so things are generally better. Like, what do you see in server components at this point?
Speaker 3: Well, when I started using them, server components were ready in that sense, they've been actually, they've been stable since I was on the show last time. However, all of the APIs that make them more manageable and make them work well in apps weren't because those kind of came with nineteen, right, So that's what's changed. So now you can actually build apps that feel good, not just you know, Yankees server components, which was a little bit of the vibe you got before because he didn't really know what to do with them, how to handle them, how you made performance apps, all of these things.
Speaker 2: So it's really the UI side needed to catch up with what server components could do for you.
Speaker 3: I think. So. Yeah, And for sure the reacting was planning this, but it wasn't really something. The docs weren't ready, all of them. You didn't really know what you were supposed to do.
Speaker 2: So what are you supposed to do? How do I refactor an existing React app to really take advantage of this? Like the said, a lot of change.
Speaker 3: It depends on what you mean by this. If you mean server components, that's not really an easy thing to do. But you can use React nineteen. That's all good. But if you want to use server components, you need some sort of framework for that.
Speaker 1: Okay, so that's what the async UI and the streaming comes in. Does that whole process of suspending rendering does that all happen by default? Or do you have to say, hey, I want this component, but I want it to be suspended, and then say when it's not suspended, like, does it just work?
Speaker 3: You have to define it and it's a little bit easy to mess it up if you don't know what to do yet. I would say yeah. For example, in next GS, which is like the most stable cervice component framework, you're not really told when something is being awaited and you don't have a fallback the way it is right now. So you need to kind of learn to look for where you're putting your ACYNC code and then define your suspense boundaries yourself.
Speaker 1: Is there a good reason for that? It seems like plumbing code, but maybe because it doesn't always happen in the same way.
Speaker 3: I think it's because, I mean, there's you could say that there's use cases where you don't want to have a fallback, you want to block the UI before you see something. But what next GS is doing right now is innovating a lot on this actually, So they have this new modes that will give you airs when you're not providing fallbacks. So yeah, there's a lot of innovation happening on how to make this developer experience also logical better.
Speaker 1: Yeah, falling into the pit of success is a good thing. Yeah, so so I guess, yeah, we've got to watch out for that. But I'm sure the documentation since it's been redone is a lot better about explaining how that works.
Speaker 3: M M.
Speaker 2: Definitely at least helping you with trying to do the right things. But it also sounds like you don't just retrofit React components server components in You've got to think through the way your site works.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and you would migrate to a framework if you're not on one. So if you're in a create rect app, speaking of create recD app is deprecated now, by the way, so you shouldn't be using it before. You should definitely not be using it now.
Speaker 1: Can you say what it is? Again?
Speaker 3: So create rerect app was.
Speaker 1: Create rerect apprep.
Speaker 3: It's the probably if you've built a React up that's what you've used for like the past years, unless you've been following along and you've been using it in the in the time, it was like the first what do you.
Speaker 1: Say, like template generator something.
Speaker 3: Template generator, Yeah, for React as a framework, and it hasn't been maintained for a long time. And then finally, now that React nineteen was released, the community was like, we need you guys to deprecate this because new devs are still going to fall into this trap of using it and it doesn't even work anymore, you know.
Speaker 2: Okay, that's because the whole point we create React app was like, it's your instant Hello world. Right, it's really boo boo. Here you go running now, tweak it from here.
Speaker 1: Like a visual studio template would mm hmmm. Yeah, So is there an alternative one of those or yes?
Speaker 3: So for a long time already you can you would use vit, which is like the VIT next generation VI the ite Okay, it's not an intuitive pronunciation.
Speaker 1: Okay, VIT dev Yeah, like VITE, only different French for quick.
Speaker 3: I think it's front yep, correct, that's what it is.
Speaker 2: Nice, is it or is it VAT?
Speaker 1: I'm just glancing at the documentation here. Yeah, scaffolding your first VITT project or VAT maybe v maybe VAT.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I don't think. Maybe some people know the proper pronunciation, but.
Speaker 2: None of us are French, and being Canadian doesn't count. It says on the docks that it's on the docks. It says it's pronounced like VAT.
Speaker 3: Okay, okay, then my bad.
Speaker 1: But it looks I mean it's you use NPM and uh, it looks pretty simple. And then there's some community templates too.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's a really great Bungler build tool and it's created by the viegis community. I think I might be saying some wrong thing. Sorry, that's not are already, that's not entirely correct here. But it's been like ever since maybe twenty twenty already, it's been like the default way you should be creating a react at, but it hasn't been communicated that clearly that this is the way we do it now.
Speaker 2: Nice. Yeah, it seems the relations between invite and views or VAT and view is also VAT and react, which is interesting. You keep wanting to paint these different stacks as rivals and then they go and collaborate on tooling and using the same thing. It's like, listen, not that big of a rival really, So wait, you can use VAT with view.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and actually it can be used with like a lot of things. And actually many of the newer generation meta frameworks, like like Reactor out of v seven has migrated to VEAT, So it's it's already like very big in the framework world.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 2: Interesting, Yeah, it works with Angular, works with Yeah. It seems like a front end to a build system, right, whatever you want to build. That's really interesting, very cool. I'll make I'll make your life easier. Here you go.
Speaker 1: So this seems like a good time for a break. We'll be right back after these very important messages. Stick around. You know. Dot net six has officially reached the end of support and now is the time to upgrade. Dot Net eight is well supported on aws. Learn more at aws dot Amazon dot com, slash dot net. And we're back. It's dot net rocks. I'm Carl Franklin. That's Richard Campbell. Hey, we're talking to our friend or Sharf about React and React server components and next JS. So what's the difference between NEXTJS and other frameworks. Major difference in terms of how you use them.
Speaker 3: So next gs is, I mean server components were developed together with NEXTGS and nextgs is. Implementation of them is sort of reacts idea of how they're supposed to be used, okay, architecture Okay, but that's not the only way you can use them. But in server components next you as server components are everything is default server. So it's like server first, right, which is why it's also like this entirely new mental model for React developers.
Speaker 1: Server first, meaning before you do any UI, you create your server and you build out your UI from that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you're starting on the server, and you opt in to the client whenever you need client features, okay.
Speaker 2: Because who wants clients?
Speaker 1: Honestly, Well, I guess what I'm getting at is I can see like the server first being analogous to like Blazer server, where you have your markup and your code and it all just sort of munges together and goes down to the client. Whereas you know, the traditional model is you build an HTML file and you have some JavaScript, You call the JavaScript to go to the server to get some data, and then you bring it back into the client. So with the next server first approach, you're basically doing everything from the server. You're not building an HTML file on the client and then going and making calls to a server, right, yeah, the service the server supplies the markup.
Speaker 3: Everything starts from the server, and you will also be fetching your data on the server and then you rather pass it down if it needs to be available inside something we call client components, right, which is and that's.
Speaker 1: Also safe, Yeah, safer, because why are you exposing APIs that require authorisation to a client browser.
Speaker 3: Don't do that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, don't do that. That's not good.
Speaker 2: It's not that. Stop that.
Speaker 1: Stop that. But that's how it was done for the longest time, right, Oh yeah, for.
Speaker 3: The longest time, you would always have some sort of API in between your your client site React up because you had to write.
Speaker 2: Yeah right, yeah, what was the typical React back end piece you would use before we got the server components?
Speaker 3: Well, for well, I work at a consultancy and we're still like some a lot of projects are still using this old stack. You could say it's still relevant, but that would be like React SPA with EAT and then maybe done it WEBPI is something like that. That's like the typical I.
Speaker 2: Was thinking of remix or.
Speaker 3: Well remix is also a meta framework, so they can also do their own data fetching if they want to.
Speaker 2: Right Like, it's just like next is the latest version. But there were other solutions to the SPA approach of React. This seems less spash, like you're basically asking the server to send you mark out.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and that's why it's a big mental shift because it is way less spish, it's more it's more Yeah, it's it's serve first. It's not really a SPA until you make it a SPA.
Speaker 1: Right to me, it's analogous to Blazer server, you know, where the server just generates everything, the markup, the data, everything. So there's no you know, code that needs to run in the browser per se, unless there's something specific that you have to run.
Speaker 2: Because one of the things we liked about spas was then you could have pieces of the page being reloaded instead of a DIP and so forth. And I presume you can still do that. It's just the original spot says I'm going to download a bunch of UI, go to the client that then has the code to call to different APIs to populate bits on the page. Now you're saying just fetch it from the server. Server will render what give it what we need to render with, and that might include asynchronous pieces to be loaded as well.
Speaker 1: Yep, yep, yeah, that seems really cool.
Speaker 2: I mean I come at this from a scaling perspective, so I'm trying to figure out what's more resource intensive to the server, you know, recognizing you know, what's the server capable of. Although it's a cloud world now, like that almost means that, you know, scaling means a different thing today.
Speaker 1: It's a button to push a slider.
Speaker 2: It's a slider.
Speaker 3: So when you're doing it on the server at least, I mean, you don't have to, as you're saying, download the code to fetch the API and get go all the way back to you know, communicate with API, give it back. You're skipping this like this long travel, I guess because you're already just started.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the first page load on a SPA socks. Yeah, right, Like that's always the battle the later ones, because you've got stuff cash get better. But we got to a point where some of our sites where we're literally doing a flat rendered page that then backloaded the SPA in just so that your first page.
Speaker 3: Was quick oh yeah, but.
Speaker 2: It was literally an orphan page, like it was completely different than everything else on the site because it was all about get that landing page loaded fast so people have a good experience.
Speaker 1: It's the pre rendering thing.
Speaker 2: It's a very convoluted way of thinking. But yeah, you could see the I guide me. My brain is immediately going to what's that going to mean for server resources? It doesn't matter. I can just light up more functions.
Speaker 1: So do you know how much memory per client is used in reacts server components about?
Speaker 3: I don't know that, but I do know that when you're using the server, Actually it doesn't have to be like the server that you're doing your dynamic stuff. It can also be in the build So whatever resources you that you're talking about here would be for your dynamic data. Right, So if you have some sort of static stuff that you don't need, so the things that make it a dynamic will be like request headers or params or cookies, all of that stuff. If a component doesn't use it, it doesn't need to be rendered on the serve. It can be in the build data.
Speaker 1: That's you know, based on who the client is, right, you know.
Speaker 3: Yeah, correct, exactly?
Speaker 1: Yeah, what would call state stateful stuff user state Yeah sounds good.
Speaker 2: Yeah, what does this deploy like?
Speaker 1: Like?
Speaker 2: How what am I setting up on the back end here? Is this a set of functions in Azure or is it a ask to come out in container sets?
Speaker 3: Like?
Speaker 2: What's this the back end? The deploy look like.
Speaker 3: If you have I mean previously I try it with app service, but right now our deployment is just no j is dockra image and then containerize the application. That works great. I think any anything, pretty much anything. And it's actually a misconception that a lot of people think that you have to use for sell and you don't and the Libra robins you have to use Versell, which is the versall the creator of NEXTJS right right, Oh, I.
Speaker 1: See, so you can run it and Amazon, you can run it in containers and run anywhere.
Speaker 2: Yep, yep, yeah, yeah, there's no reason an the end, you just need something that can run node right in terms out just about everything and run node.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So yeah, you could easily easily rite in a container.
Speaker 1: Is that the only misconception people might have about React nineteen and React service components.
Speaker 3: It's definitely a big one. Usually when I'm talking to people sometimes they would say, like, what, you're deploying next JS on Azure, How are you doing that? I don't. I didn't think that's possible. So that's a big one. And maybe another big one is about the compiler. So it's been like a big thing that React compiler, which is a whole other thing, is in React nineteen.
Speaker 1: It's not beta, so there was no compiler before nineteen.
Speaker 3: No compiler is new because it's a server thing. It's an Zephyr project. It's not actually it's a client thing.
Speaker 1: Really.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's like this whole other thing that has not really that much to do with server components.
Speaker 1: Interesting, So this is separate from the JavaScript engine in the browser. What do we need a compiler on the client for?
Speaker 3: So in React, right, you're doing a lot of rerenders and React doesn't use signals like some of the other frameworks like Angler's got signals now right and solid JS. So you're doing necessary rerenders and the compiler is kind of here to fix that for you, so that your code is memoirs automatically.
Speaker 1: Okay, So is it analogous to just taking messages that are like, you know, upload this div with this content or you know, change this list of stuff to this just in specific components on the page.
Speaker 3: It will I'm actually I'm an expert on the compiler. I just know it's a common misconception, but it will do your use memmo use callback stuff. Kind of it's a different way of doing it, but it will substitute whatever extra code you would add to add momorization for you, so you don't have to add it. Okay, So skipping skipping unnecessary rerenders and caching or memorizing heavy computations, is.
Speaker 1: There still work to do Unreact server components? Is there still stuff on your wish list?
Speaker 3: Well, there is a lot of things happening actually still because again the next year is implementation is one one approach. You have other frameworks that have kind of been emerging recently with their own dots on how to deal with server components. So maybe you know, well, you know remix, right, you said remix Remix has now been or I guess renamed or been migrated to Reactor out of v seven or did you have you heard of that yet?
Speaker 2: React?
Speaker 1: What seven?
Speaker 3: React router v seven?
Speaker 1: Router v seven So React router is like.
Speaker 3: The biggest React library, right, and Remix is built on top of it, same creator. Now it's been merged. This is a pretty big deal actually for those millions of React apps out there.
Speaker 1: So Remix became React router v seven. Is that what happened? Yeah, kind of Yeah, Yeah, everything you love about remix back into React router proper. So they're encouraging all Remix v two users to upgrade the reactor outer v seven.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: It says for the majority of the React ecosystem that has been around for the last ten years, we believe React Router B seven will be the smoothest way to bridge the gap between React eighteen and nineteen. Oh that's interesting. So if you have React eighteen with remix and you want to move to nineteen using React router v seven, that's the.
Speaker 2: Way to go.
Speaker 3: Yep. And also going from reactor out of B six and kind of incrementally adopting Ahmeda frameworks features, which is amazing because that's not always so easy as with if you worse to do it with the next ye just app router, it's not like that. So it's a pretty pretty big deal.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, seems like it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and definitely feels like the ecosystem trying to consolidate into a few more standard approaches. I grabbed a link off of Microsoft learned about running next JS since Azure static web apps, and it reminds me of things like making word Press run on Windows, Like just because you can doesn't mean you should.
Speaker 3: I actually encounter someone who had been doing that and don't do that. I think they've done this. I don't know this, but I think that they have this docks on it. But it's not supposed to really be done this way. I just remember the person who tried it and it was just not something.
Speaker 2: I mean, what is the like you said, it is the typical react to play with versll because that's the end to end sort of we know it works, all the docks exist, Like that's easier. What do you or what are the all sort of known good alternatives that you're going to get decent support for?
Speaker 3: Alternative for versall or yeah, there's a lot. I know a lot of people deploy on netfly cloud flair right right in ws Azure, But at least for your own projects, versael is just so smooth, right.
Speaker 1: Right, so the experience is smoother just because they own the whole stack. Is that the Is that the idea?
Speaker 3: Yeah, but they also support other frameworks, by the way, not just but you're.
Speaker 2: Dealing with a with a customer and they are primarily an Azure tenant. You want to run this an Azure It sounds like the way to go is is containers, is Docker.
Speaker 3: That's what we see.
Speaker 2: That's well, that's the well documented strategy deploying React. I mean node runs and Azure functions. I just don't that I'd want to try and implement it this way because it is kind of odd, right, You're going to be by yourself if you do this. Yeah, though, just trying to get you know, there's always these perfect well you could do that, but you'd be all alone if you did so.
Speaker 1: Again, when I asked you, what's on your wish list? You said what they were doing. That's really great. So what's on your actual wish list?
Speaker 3: Well? Actually I got kind of derailed here, but what I was going to say was that retch out of the seven is also getting server components in a whole different way.
Speaker 2: Oh, it's so good thing.
Speaker 3: It depends if you don't like the server first approach. Right, Yeah, there's and there's another one. Ten stack Start is thinking of server components. So base things are happening right in different approaches, not just the server first approach.
Speaker 1: Okay, so I guess this was on your wish list and now it's happening.
Speaker 3: I wouldn't. I mean, I already worked with the app router for such a long time. I like it. Yeah, but I'm I would be happy that there's other ways to do it as well.
Speaker 1: Other ways to do it.
Speaker 2: So what we call this the router first approach versus the server verst approach.
Speaker 3: It's more like a client first I guess. But you can return server components from loaders, right, which is kind of yeah.
Speaker 1: So your turn server components and then run them in the client.
Speaker 3: Your return it's well you return. It's like returning data, but you're actually.
Speaker 1: Returning so it's returning the markup.
Speaker 3: Yeah right, in a way, so.
Speaker 2: The router invokes the server component to write it to.
Speaker 3: You in a way.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it doesn't have the code behind it, but just the markup that's the result of running the code.
Speaker 2: Got it. You are sort of client first instance. You're loading a router then invokes different server components that send down the markup that rents the page.
Speaker 1: So that's different so it's a middleman, and I guess that's why the you know, moving from eighteen to nineteen is going to be easier with that because you're you've already got client centric code calling into the server, so you know you're just changing in the middleman.
Speaker 3: So yes, if you were to answer the question how do you opt into server components, probably the path would be go from your client side app to reactor out of you seven, enable the meta framework features, wait for server components, return server components. That's kind of the incremental way there. If you're not going to prod.
Speaker 2: It strikes me the next JS server components approaches a greenfield approach. It's a rethink.
Speaker 1: Yeah, greenfield. Yeah, that's what I was thinking.
Speaker 2: Yeah, where this is much more brown field. Get some of those capabilities your existing stuff keeps working here, you know you're bridging. Yeah, that's fair.
Speaker 3: That's why it's the big deal.
Speaker 1: Very good.
Speaker 2: Definitely make your life a heck of a lot easier.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it has productivity gone up with V nineteen.
Speaker 3: For you, uh, for me, yeah, because I know how to use this stuff. I think if you don't, if you didn't catch up to nineteen, it's hard to see why you would need the new hooks because some of them are useful for clients, but a lot of them are for like server they're documented in the next year stocks for example, in a certain way, there's not enough examples for the client something like that. So I'm definitely productive. I see the uses for all the new stuff. And also some of the new features like this use hook is for server components and cash api is for server companes. So there's things that I'm using a lot to improve my performance of that building.
Speaker 1: Well, that's great. Yeah, is there anything we haven't covered that you want to talk about?
Speaker 3: We have a look here, maybe like like an RC one year later. So this was kind of Yeah, I'm still using it. I'm still it still works for me, you know. But actually the State of React twenty twenty four survey says that sixty percent still didn't try it. Of the of the response still didn't try server components. Interesting and yeah, that's very interesting.
Speaker 1: Yeah, client side programmers like their client side.
Speaker 3: And it's hard to get into right because you cannot just opt in right. And also of the some of the people that did try it or twenty percent found it to be a pain point of the new APIs, So it's still not you know, doesn't still have a very positive what can you say, vibe around it?
Speaker 2: Do you think it's the ACNC side of things? Like, it's just hard to think that way if you're not used to it.
Speaker 3: I think it's a big mental shift. It's a learning curve, and it's you have to kind of do it on your free time if you don't use it at work. So it's a very big it's a big jump.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I was going to say there's probably less incentive for somebody who's maintaining or working on a project at a company YEP that isn't planning to move to service side components because it's a big rewrite.
Speaker 2: Well, no customer asks for this, right, Like, this is not a customer's like, oh I wish we had server components. They don't care, right exactly.
Speaker 1: But a consultant, you know, who's got multiple clients and is waiting for the next client to come along and say, we need a website. What are we going to do? That's when you want to whip out the nineteen server components.
Speaker 3: Yeah, because if you have like this new project, a lot of apps are just okay, let's pick next to us and someone. Companies even have that as their default app stack, right, So it's inevitable that at some point you're probably going to encounter it if if your work is using it, right, And there's lots of big apps like PayPal, New York Public Library, And we have this huge e commerce in our electronics sales, will you say company in the nordis called Elchap, which is like all on at prouder end of our sell and it's a big success.
Speaker 2: Story, right, but it's also not something you moved anywhere easily much less why Like, what is the business case here? Is it? I want our faster website. I want it more maintainable, Like what's the thing that customer is going to want? They're like, I'm really grad we made that move.
Speaker 3: So e commerce is I mean speed performance? That's always been our sales focus or next just focus. That's their that's what they're always optimizing for.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so all that psychosis we've always had about time to first bite, like how quickly can you get the page in front of people so that they don't switch away? Everything stays snappy and async is better for that because you don't get hung up on the realities of the Internet where some packet gets lost and the whole page is stalled. Oh, I appreciate that. That's the customer requests, can we make it faster? And it's like, yeah, we can reengineer it this way.
Speaker 3: Yeah, making it fast, definitely, that's that's easy.
Speaker 4: Pick.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's just a question of whether it's true. Like the great thing about doing a refactor like this is you'll leave us alone for three months. It is going to take a while.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I think it took like, I don't know many months for the l shapre rite and that was from Angular actually, so it was like the biggest hall. So they rewrote Angular angularly next.
Speaker 2: Woo, there's a case study for you.
Speaker 3: Yeah Angular next Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, oy boy, Yeah, that is a big jump.
Speaker 1: Do the View developers throw stones at you?
Speaker 3: They have their own thing. I think View developers seem pretty happy with you, that's my impression.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I don't know.
Speaker 1: We we like to stir up hat in discontent where it doesn't exist.
Speaker 2: So yeah, hey, you know what everybody has pain.
Speaker 3: I can tell you. The View developers were very unhappy when the React team deprecated create Recked app and did not mentioned it as the primary way to replace it, but the community changed that. So you had some new developers who were a part of that.
Speaker 2: Did they have a different idea of where to go besides VAT?
Speaker 3: I mean, for a long time, the framework, the docs have said next or frameworks. They've been encouraging frameworks and they still do. Yeah, that's just the thing. They encourage frameworks. They think that you should use a framework unless you, for some reason decide not to. But that shouldn't be the default. The default should be a framework. That's what the dogs lead you to.
Speaker 2: Right So, and actually most people, like you know, actually VATS an easier way to go. It gets me up and running.
Speaker 3: In a lot of cases, it could be and that's that's the reason for the community to push back.
Speaker 2: That's interesting.
Speaker 1: So react as a Facebook slash meta thing, is there any indication that they have moved everything over to nineteen or they're going to I mean, I can't imagine going from a previous model to that, as you know, as big as Facebook.
Speaker 3: Is, I don't know about that exactly if they're using it, but I do know that they're using the compiler in their internal apps like Instagram, So that's I guess a bigger, better metric for what they're actually building that they're using for themselves.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well that's always been the claim to fame. Right, this is how we build Facebook, so you can use it too, Right, if.
Speaker 1: We can if Facebook doesn't crash, europp won't Right.
Speaker 2: Was that great story where they locked themselves out of their own data center with some security there's assisted men's story about literally they had to take an angle grinder to a door to get into a data center because somebody had whoa had shut down a key account that didn't allow that took out the door controls. Oh my fun stories the hardware.
Speaker 1: Well, I guess the door controls weren't that good if you could take a saws all to it and cut it out.
Speaker 2: Apparently it took a whole day, so I think it was pretty good. Like everything will eventually fail if you try hard enough. But then I guess you're right. Yeah, fort there it's like we can't get into the data center, both digitally or physically. Okay, yeah, this looks like a big important version. Like you said, four years coming, that's a long time in our world.
Speaker 3: Yep, there's stuff for everyone. If you didn't like check it out yet you should, especially the improvement section even if you're a client set up. There's like a lot of things there that you might need, like pre loading CSS or other resources. And there's like acing script support with priority hydration air improvements for those of us who have experienced that, so you can actually see what is happening. Nice, there's a lot air handling out. There's a lot of like improvements that actually matter for you even though you're not using service components.
Speaker 2: That's good.
Speaker 1: Well, I imagine our listeners will have more questions than we do since we're not daily React users. But but so this would be great, you know, for to leave a comment on the website and you know, if you have any questions.
Speaker 2: For Aurora. Yeah, and where can folks find you.
Speaker 3: A XUS food? I'm still there. I works for me to communicate with people there, and I have a blog if you want to like read stuff. But for communicating probably extort Twitter.
Speaker 2: Awesome, very good.
Speaker 1: Well, thanks, it's been great talking to you again.
Speaker 3: Thank you, Thank you for having me back.
Speaker 1: All right, and we'll talk to you next time on dot net Bros.
Speaker 4: Dot net Rocks is brought to you by Franklin's Net and produced by Pop Studios, a full service audio, video and post production facility located physically in New in Connecticut, and of course in the cloud online at pwop dot com. Visit our website at d O T N E t R O c k S dot com for RSS feeds, downloads, mobile apps, comments, and access to the full archives going back to show number one, recorded in September two thousand and two. And make sure you check out our sponsors. They keep us in business. Now, go write some code.
Speaker 1: See you next time.
Speaker 2: You got J middle Vans
Speaker 3: And