Speaker 1: Hello, It is Ryan and I was on a flight the other day playing one of my favorite social spin slot games on chumbacasino dot com. I looked over at the person sitting next to me, and you know what they were doing. They were also playing Chumpa Casino. Coincidence, I think not everybody's loving having fun with it. Chumpa Casino's home to hundreds at casino style games. You can play for free anytime, anywhere, even at thirty thousand feet. So sign up now at Chumbuck Casino dot com to claim you're free. Welcome bonus, that's Chumbuck Casino dot com and live the Chumba Lane.
Speaker 2: No necessary dvoid whereverbit By lost the terms conditions of eighteen plus. With Lucky Land Slots, you can get lucky just about anywhere.
Speaker 3: Really, beloved, we are gathered here today. Has anyone seen the bride and groom?
Speaker 4: Ri?
Speaker 2: Sorry we're here. We were getting lucky in the limo and we lost track of time.
Speaker 1: No Lucky Land casino with cash prizes that add up quicker than a guess registered Well.
Speaker 4: In that case, I pronounce you lucky.
Speaker 2: Play for free. Lucky Landslots dot Com. Daily bonuses are waiting. No purchase necessary BOID. We're prohibited by lock eighteen plus terms and conditions applag See website.
Speaker 1: For loop Tabian.
Speaker 3: You are now listening to True Murder, the most shocking killers in true crime history and the authors that have written about them Gaesy, Bundy, Dalhmer, The Nightstalker DTK. Every week another fascinating author talking about the most shocking and infamous killers in true crime history. True Murder with your host, journalist and author Dan Zupanski.
Speaker 5: Good evening, two hundred FBI agents and Nassau County Police officers combined forces to form a dragnet hunt for his kidnappers and rescue him. Teshley handcuffed and chain to the walls of the closet in the Bronx with a medical bandage wrapped around his head to cover his eyes. His captors demanded his wife Janet, drop a bag with seven hundred and fifty thousand the equivalent of four million dollars in today's currency, in a locker at Penn Station, making the Jack tesh ransom one of the highest in US history at that time. FBI and Nassau County Police detectives spent over a year before finally uncovering the meticulously planned kidnapping ploy hatched by radical mastermind Richard Warren Williams. The FBI internally dubbed the Jack Tesh kidnapping Operation jack Nap. The real life crime drama that followed proved stranger than fiction, involving a tense across the country manhunt, a trailer in California, stuff with tens of thousands of ransom dollars hidden inside, a contentious jury trial that dominated New York City headlines for months, a guilty verdict that was overturned twenty one years later on a controversial technicality, a retrial stymied by a mysterious fire that incinerated court records, and a civil verdict ruling that the kidnapper paid Jack Tesh back the ransom money plus interest. Operation Jacknapp tells the incredible true crime story that continues even now. Indeed, as of this writing, no one knows where the majority of the ransom money is located inside. Tesh also details his offer of a reward to anyone helping track down the still missing money and kidnappers. The book that we're featuring this evening is Operation Jacknap, a True Story of Kidnapping, extortion, ransom and Rescue with my special guest author Jack Teesh. Welcome to the program, and thank you very much for a Green Innis interview. Jack Tesh. Thank you, Dan, good evening. Thank you very much for joining me and joining our audience. Let's go right to November twelfth, nineteen seventy four. Tell us a little bit about where you're living at this time in Long Island. Just tell us a little bit about your background just before we talk about November twelfth, nineteen seventy four.
Speaker 4: Okay, Dan, anyway, my wife, by the way, is sitting next to me, my wife Janet. At the time, I was thirty four years old, My wife was barely thirty. We lived in the King's Point section of the town of Great Neck. We lived a low key life in a very modest house. We had two at the time, two young children. One was six and the other one was two years old. Third wasn't even born then, born yet. In the family business. I worked in a family business manufacturing steel construction materials, and it was we had a nice life, raise a modest life, very modest, raising our two children.
Speaker 5: Tell us about November twelfth, nineteen seventy four. You say you're write at around six forty pm. You were driving your car home from work as usual, but it was unusual someone was following you, and then you arrived home in the driveway. What happened right after getting out of that car.
Speaker 4: Yes, it happened to be a very foggy, rainy rain evening and I was as I was driving home, and normally we lived in a dead end street and a dead end the main road going to the house was it was a dead end peninsula and our particular street was a dead end street, so it was very unusual to have any cars other than when I was driving this particular night, there was a car right behind me, and I even said to myself, boy, this unusual. And I pulled into my driveway. It was about a forty five to fifty minute drive home from my office. I pulled into the driveway up to my garage. It was closed, and I normally left the car outside facing the garage, and I pulled into the I pulled up to the garage, shut my lights off, and I looked up at the garage and it was pulled it up, and I said, what is that? I just shut my lights off, and I just checked my lights again they were off. I looked behind me. There's a car right behind me, and I looked in the rear view mirror. I get out of the car, and on my left, on the driver's side, there's an individual with a ski masks, ski mask and a silver colored pistol pointing at my head. On the right hand side was another individual, taller with a ski mask and with a sort of shotgun pointed at me at that moment, and they said basically, you're coming with us and or we're gonna blow your head off. For the moment, I thought, well, what do I do? Do I run which I could have, which I could have to the back of my house where there's a woods which I knew very well and felt I could do that. And then I in a split second, I said, well, if I do that, will I go in my house, which was twenty five feet away. So I didn't. I didn't run. They led me with the gun to my head to their car, which was a small little Ford Mustang, and they pushed me in the backseat of the car.
Speaker 5: Now they told you to lay down. You didn't get to see anybody, and quickly they put something on your eyes so that you weren't able to see, and told you to get down on the floor and all you could smell was this gasoline can. So what did you do in terms of realizing that you were in this? You were kidnapped, you were abducted. But what did you first do in terms of trying to potentially help yourself later? What were you? What were you? Uh? But what would you think to do?
Speaker 4: Well? It w W What they did? Was they what they said, We're gonna going to rob you and let you go, so just calm down, relax, We're not gonna uh keep you. And they put putty on each of my eyes and then over the putty they put a pair of uh of glasses so I couldn't see anything. And yes, there was a gasoline. The a gaso pushed me down on the back and it was a f a small Ford Mustang. Tight in the back seat. They pushed me down, put handcuffs on, and they said we're gonna drive you uh to our area, uh rob you and let you go. And I just uh tried to think about every little thing the ride. There was a went over a bridge, there was a toll machine. The sounds that we went over some hills. I just tried to remember to see if I could possibly remember the route they were taking. And I thought, as much as we excuse me, I thought I remembered as much as I possibly could under the circumstances.
Speaker 5: Now back at the house, meanwhile, your wife, Janet is just discovering your absence, and you were late, which was somewhat unusual. She wanted to go to movies with her friend, and so she put the kids to bed and came downstairs and saw your car. What did she do after realizing that you weren't around? Who did she call?
Speaker 4: Well, the first call that she called was my office to find out what time I left. She got a hold of She got a hold of somebody to say what time did Jack leave? Where was his car? And she got that information, and then she called some friends of ours in a panic that my car was in the driveway and I was nowhere to be found. So a couple of our friends came over and searched around the house, searched in the garage, searched in them as much of the wooded area as they could, just to think if I wanted off, or was bleeding somewhere, or laying down and still nowhere to be found. She then called the local police. We lived in an area that had a small local police department, and she called the local police. They came over and they really were no help at all to her. Unfortunately, they they kind of brushed it off as well, you know, maybe he's out drinking, or maybe he went off with the next to a neighbor. They they kind of laughed the whole thing off. So she then called my family, my brother. I had two brothers, and in a panic, she didn't know what to do. She finally called. It was either late that night or very early the next morning. She finally called. We had a very close friend of the family who was an assistant district attorney in the in the Nasakhani and called him and said, look, my husband cars in the driveway. He didn't come home, he never called, and there's something terribly wrong. And the individual that she called, who ultimately became a Supreme Court judge, he was an Ada and sisted district attorney at the time, knew me from when I was a child, knew me when I since I was four years old. So he picked up a phone and called the chief of detectives of Nasakhani and said, look, I know this. I know Jackson's he's four years old. I know the family all my life. This is totally out of character fan not to come home, not to call, and nowhere to be found. There's something terribly wrong. And that started the ball rolling, the the the UH. All the higher ups, the chief of detectives, the deputy inspector, and a staff of people came over to the house. They set up tape recorders on the phones, on all on all our phones, the in the old days that they were the what do you call it, big tapes, tape tape recorders. UH. They called the FBI in and that was the point where the the the investigation really started. Thank goodness, my wife called then because the first ransom call there were three. The first ransom call came in that evening from the kidnappers, and luckily the it was all recorded and they attempted to trace it, but they didn't stay on long enough to trace the call. From that point on until I was released seven days later. The fb there was three two FBI agents, a male and a female, and a Nasser County detective sergeant that moved into the house and slept there. They were there twenty four to seven with my wife.
Speaker 2: And.
Speaker 4: And that's when the the Horrabian.
Speaker 5: You you segue back and forth between the two incredible scenes between where you are held captive and your wife and your family are held captive. To a great degree. Your son, your seven year old, almost seven year old, was never comfortable with this, and and no one could give him the answers that he needed to understand where his father was and where all these people were in their home. But meanwhile, your nightmare was just beginning. So you are taken from that car again. You were brought into a building. What happens you talk about the search and the conversation you have with the keeper. Tell us about that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we drove for about forty five fifty minutes, give a take, as they mentioned before, over a bridge, up a hill. Finally they stopped and they said, wait, we're going to take you out of They take you out of the car and we're going to walk you into a building. And they took me out of the car. I was blindfolded, one on each side holding my arms, and they told me that three steps you walk up, then you walk another three steps up and we're going to guide you into a room. And they guided me into a room. I was standing straight up and they the first thing they did was methodically search and take everything out of every pocket. I was wearing a suit and a raincoat. They went through every every pocket in the raincoat, every pocket in the suit, took everything out, went through my wallet, went through all my identification, and that started questioning me and they said, you know, we think we're we're not going to let you go so fast. We think we're going to keep you for a while. They then guided me over to a closet and pushed me into the closet onto the floor. It was probably two feet by five feet, and all of a sudden, I heard the sounds of chains, and I said, what the heck could that be? They had chains which they looped through eyelets that they apparently had screwed into the wall on each side. On one side was where my head and shoulders were. I couldn't lay down flat. I had to sort of half lay down, and they took that chain, put it around my neck with a lock, and then the other chain they looped around my feet with a lock to an eyelid on the other end. Of the closet with a little bit of slack on each side, so I could barely sort of sit up and kneel if I had to. And the then they put a gag on my mouth, which I couldn't understand. Uh. They they eventually took that off, you know, w you know, later that evening or the next morning, I don't remember, but they Uh, I did have a gag and that when they started questioning me, they had to take the gag off. And then the questioning started. The s the sessions. Uh. They spent hours questioning every possible thing they could possibly ask me about my my life, my parents, my father, my mother wasn't alive, then my wife, my wife's family, my brother, my brother's two brothers. UH, bank accounts, uh, the the uh, the ant, the artwork uh uh any possible thing of value. They wanted to know everything about that, everything about the company, people that worked for the company. And apparently they knew more than they let on. As the interrogations went on during the week, it was obvious they they knew more and they were making sure I was telling them the truth. They they had answers to the many of the questions before they asked the question, and that came out very obvious. So in the closet was a bucket to relieve myself, and that's where I was for of the total of seven days, about half the time I was chained in the closet with handcuffs. They never did take those handcuffs off. And after about half the time they took me out of the closet and put me in the same room a bed, and they took the same chains and chained the chained the bed around the frame. So I was still chained, but I was in a bed.
Speaker 5: Now, what kind of conversations? What kind of conversations was the captor having with you other than these questions and narrowing it down, he wanted to know about the bank account, specifically about the company Acme Steel partition that you were vice president of and your father had founded the company. Yes, he wanted to know those particulars, and he was asking you questions like if Janet was excitable and basically trying to find out and determine which person would be better to deal with in what you realized soon enough is a ransom and a kidnapping. So how do they prepare you and what are some of the questions that they try to get from you, and then how do they prepare you for this ransom and to communicate with your wife in the chance of getting this ransom.
Speaker 4: That's exactly You're exactly right. They knew more than of course that they let on they had. I never knew, by the way, I never knew until I was released in FBI headquarters in Manhattan, how much they asked for and how much they got. They never let on. But they did know quite a bit about the company and quite a bit about my family, and they kept targeting in who was the person, whether it be my brother, my father, my wife, most likely to be able to get that money together and and meet their demands. The what I didn't mention is that these individuals were radicalized and blatantly anti Semitic. From the minute I came came into that room till the men and I left. They they they preached, they raved, they ranted, They they didn't stop with their rhetoric, radicalized rhetoric of they they they're the were the haves and they're the have nots, and they're going to take what they want to take and get what they want to get and they're going to do it.
Speaker 5: Now, as well as this radical idea or radicalized idea that they were writing wrong by saying things too like you guys shouldn't keep all the money and being Jewish people that being and that that basically a Jewish people and other people had built their their fortunes on the backs of black people and poor people. Those part of the gist of what he was saying. How did they prepare you? We're talking about the tape recordings.
Speaker 1: Casino asking people, what's the weirdest place you've gotten lucky?
Speaker 2: Lucky? In line at the Delhi I guess ah, in my dentist's office more than once.
Speaker 1: Actually do I have to say?
Speaker 3: Yes?
Speaker 4: You do?
Speaker 1: In the car before my kid's PTA meeting?
Speaker 4: Really?
Speaker 2: Yes?
Speaker 4: Excuse me?
Speaker 1: What's the weirdest place you've gotten lucky?
Speaker 2: I never win?
Speaker 3: And tell well, there you have it.
Speaker 1: You could get lucky anywhere playing at lucky landslots dot com play for free right now?
Speaker 2: Are you feeling lucky?
Speaker 1: No brig just necessary foid where my long eighteen plus terms and conditions of pluck seems a retails? Hey, guys, it is Ryan. I'm not sure if you know this about me? But I'm a bit of a fun fanatic when I can. I like to work, but I like fun too. It's a thing. And now the truth is out there, I can tell you about my favorite place to have fun. Chumba Casino. They have hundreds of social casino style games to choose from, with new games released each week. You can play for free, anytime, anywhere, and each day brings a new chance to collect daily bonuses. So join me and the fun. Sign up now at chumbacasino dot com.
Speaker 2: No pursuscessary where I lost terms conditions eight.
Speaker 5: Pul tell us how they prepared you and what they got you to say in those tape recordings that we're going to be forwarded to your wife.
Speaker 4: Well, they were very specific of what I should say, and they were I at least two. First, they took a picture I helped. They gave me a local newspaper w which had the date on it, took a picture of me holding up the newspaper. They from my uh uh, not not my whole body, from my from the mid midwaist up. Then they prepared me exactly what to say, very specifically, what to say? Who who? Who? Who's gonna who? Who should get the money together. They never told me the amount, who should get the money together, who should make the payoff? What should they be wearing? They shouldn't tell anybody, especially the police. And by the way, very very important. The newspapers knew about it, knew about the abduction shortly after it happened, and the and the FBI and the police went to see them and said, please don't publicize this until we get the victim back. And in those days they listened and they did it. And I could tell you that that saved my life because they had that radio blasting in the other room listening and they I'm sure they just couldn't figure out why it wasn't on the radio. They the newspapers honored, honored the request.
Speaker 5: They asked you questions like how much money you had forwarded to the Jewish Defense League as well, just to demonstrate where their mindset was.
Speaker 4: Yes, yeah, I didn't even know what they were talking about, to be honest with you, but they they this rhetoric, the anti Semitic rhetoric pro pro radicalized, was pretty much constant during the whole week, and the raving and the ranting, and and it didn't stop. They just and I just I mean, I listened, what kind of work could I do? Nothing I could do, and I just prayed a lot. The they and by the way, only one. There were at least four involved, it could be more, but a minimum before two in my driveway, and there were others in the other room I heard walking and talking, but only one of them ever spoke to me, or one other spoke, but only like one or two sentences. But only one was the one that talked to me. Came in three, four, five times a day into the room I was in, and he was the on the keeper. We called him the keeper. He was the only one that spoke to me of anything of any significance.
Speaker 5: After all this intel that he gained from you about your family, about business dealings, about virtually everything, you noticed, you know, you noticed that they were zeroing in on the bank accounts from your business. They asked you how many bank account you had at your company, and you told him there was a general one and another payroll one, and they said how much money? And you said fifty thousand dollars in total. Now he left and he didn't return for a long time. When he came back, what information did he have and what was your explanation for something that made him very irate?
Speaker 4: What happened was he when he came back, he said, you did not You didn't tell me about the pension, pension and profit sharing company accounts. And I said, I didn't tell you. I didn't mention it because that's not my money. It's not the company's money. It belongs to the employees. And I don't. I didn't. I don't have access to that money to take. It doesn't belong to me. And he went into a TI rate and he obviously knew about the accounts, and he said, who signs the checks? I said, I'm one of the signatories on those checks. He says, so you do have access to the money. I says, I said, yes, but it's not mine to take. And then he didn't question me any further on that because he knew the answers to that question before I before he asked the question, so I couldn't I told him what it was.
Speaker 5: Now, meanwhile, Janet has has called the old friend Jed Orenstein the DA and so gotten things straight now and the police now that they took Janet to the bank and realized that you didn't take out any withdrawals, they're now believing that there's something to this. The kidnappers didn't call for twenty six hours, and you say that there was a blessing because the recorders weren't set up at that time. And when Janet got the first call, you describe in the book this incredible exchange because your wife is again a very very strong, strong person in your corner, but also she is shocked and no one is prepared for this kind of pressure and tension. So after that phone call, what was said in that call and then what was created after as a result of that phone call.
Speaker 4: Well, the phone call came to the house, as I mentioned, and was recorded, and the FBI and police were there. They told Janet to try to keep him keep the individual on the phone as long as possible, but he was very clear, I have Jack, I have him, and unless you meet our demands, we're going to kill him, basically in so many words, and you have to listen, and we're going to get back to you with specific demands. She tried to keep him on the phone, she couldn't, and they then they couldn't couldn't trace the call. But that's when they knew I was alive, they knew it was a kidnapping, and the that's when the all the police and the rest of the authorities got involved.
Speaker 5: What did the keeper tell you about your family cooperating with police? What did he warn you about?
Speaker 4: Well, only that that if the family didn't cooperate, he was going to kill the whole family, my wife, my brother's, the entire family and they had better cooperate or he was going to kill them all.
Speaker 5: Right, Now you have this incredible group of people assembled, FBI, Nasau County detectives and now everybody's on board once they've got this call and they realized the magnitude of this case. And you say that these people that were put in your home for months different people, but FBI agents arouse risen to the challenge, and also that they became close friends and helped your family survive this ordeal. Who are the people that the kidnappers suggest did that they deal with? And uh so who did who did they decide?
Speaker 4: Yeah, the kidnappers want specifically wanted my brother out of at A and of the of the company, my brother and my family, my wife, those are the only two they wanted to deal with, and they wanted them to deliver the ransom money. Uh in the place that they said they which we can get into the payoff, but they they're the only two they wanted to deal with. Now. Having said that my wife, there was a female agent at the house, and if my wife wasn't up to making the payoff, the female agent was going to go in her place. And they tested my wife to make sure that she was up to that challenge. And she It was a pretty rough, pretty rough evening of testing, and she did. She passed all the tests, and she insisted that she had to make the payoffs. She didn't want anybody else to do it. They may know that it wasn't her, and she didn't want to take a chance on losing me on doing something that they told her to do.
Speaker 5: Right. Part of the technology at that time, there's no cell phones. They equip your brother and your wife with two way radios. We'll talk about what happens when they try to make this drop for the ransom money, what happens with that technology. But how else do they prepare your wife and your brother for this exchange of money.
Speaker 4: Well, other other than that the briefing them, you know, the kidnapping, there's no books, or there's no technical manuals FBI manuals on kidnapping because everyone it's it's a rare crime. To to starters, it's not it's not that prevalent of a crime. And everyone is totally different every kidnapping. This is what they told me later, They said, we don't have a protocol because each one is different, and it's as the as it evolves, as the kidnapping evolves, is that's the we we we decide what the next step should be. So in our in my case, it was my my brother who got the money together, and my wife and they they were wearing too a you know what do you call that? FBI equipment, radios in their ears and all that, but the radio it didn't work underground. None of these, none of the police radios, none of the FBI radios, and none of their equipment actually worked under in Penn Station, the busiest train station in the world. The technology wasn't advanced. Today the radios do work underground. In nineteen seventy four, they did not work underground. So there was no communication unfortunately, between my wife, my brother and the the police and the FBI. And by the way, there were four hundred and fifty FBI and police scattered throughout all of Penn Station and all the surrounding streets all around that evening, and nobody can not only could they not communicate with them, but the police couldn't communicate between each other. It was under on the ground between the concrete and the steel. So there was that was something that was and possibly they knew about it that I wouldn't. I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if they If they knew, the radios wouldn't work, and that's why they chose that location to do it.
Speaker 5: One sorry party.
Speaker 4: One of the actually one of the theories of the of the police is that one of the four or more of these people were somehow, shape or form at one time affiliated with the police to know that they didn't think the average person would even think about that, right.
Speaker 5: What was the instructions from the kidnappers regarding the money that was the ransom seven hundred and fifty thousand or with the instructions and and what did the police advise them to do? What eventually did your family do to counter what they had said?
Speaker 4: Well, couple a couple of things. Number one, the amount of money they asked for was seven hundred and fifty thousand dollars. Very specific The majority of it was to be a one hundred dollars bills and a very very small amount of it was to be in smaller bills, but the bulk of it ane hundred dollars bills. They also, my family discussed with the police. It was a crazy, insane sum of money to ask for, and they asked, should we negotiate, Should we negotiate with these kidnappers? This is a ludicrous, crazy summer money. And the answer from the professionals were, if you can gather the money and pay it, don't negotiate. We done in the case, In everything we know so far about this case, we would not if you can't. Obviously, if you can't come up with the money, that's another story. But if you can, don't negotiate, we'll get the kidnappers back. Well, we'll catch them and we'll and we'll get your money back well. But so there was no negotiation. The amount that they asked for was the amount that was ultimately paid them. They were very specific of where they should make the phone call, which was a outside of p u S on the street, outside of the initial phone call outside of Penn Station in New York City and told them where to go from there what locker track seventeen There would be a bank of lockers and go into a certain locker and take out a black bag. And I'm sorry, the the the bag, the the initial bag. What was one of the backtrack The one of the calls that came to the house was that take take the money, go to the Exxon station around the corner from my brother's house he lived in another town, and go into the large garbage pill that's there, and there's a black bag in there. That black bag is the big you're to use to put the money in. So that was either the second or the probably the third call. And they did. They took the bag, they took it TOPI headquarters. Then they took it to the bank and they gathered all the money together and put the money in the bag. Now, the other thing, they were very specific the money should not be new money, it should be old money. Well, the bank on a one day's notice, where are they going to find seven hundred fifty of old money? So it ended up being new money and in consecutive numbered bills the less. So what they had to do. What I'm told is they laid out the money around the table and a dozen FBI agents took each each each dollar, each one hundred dollar bill, each bill, and crumpled it up to look like old money, and then of course mixed up all the numbers. They recorded all the numbers. They knew exactly what the numbers were, but they mixed it up and mixed in the smaller bills and crumpled up the other bills and then put it in the black bag to the payoff.
Speaker 5: Now, with this payoff, it was elaborate instructions back and forth so that these kidnappers could ellude escape in penn station. But also they back and forth details about the drop, telling buddy exactly what to do and where to put this in the one then what locker? What happens with this? There's a hitch? Tell us about this hitch.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Well, they was very specific where to put the money, and they my brother and my wife put together and my brother put the money into a locker and inadvertently took the key, took the key with him. He wasn't supposed to take the key out of the locker. Took the key with the locker. They went to go find them pick up the money, and they couldn't get into the locker, and the there were calls back and forth, you know, landline calls back and forth with the kidnappers, and said yelling at my brother that he's deceiving them and they're gonna kill me, and what did he do, and there's no money and all this stuff. So then my wife went back and said, this was on the street by the way the payphone. They went back up to the street to make these phone calls. Then they went back into the penn station at the track seventeen. My wife and my brother and my wife realized Number One, he put the money in the wrong locker, not in the locker that he was supposed to put it in, put it in the locker above the one that he was supposed to put it in, and then took the key of the locker that he was supposed to put it in. So lo and behold, the money was sitting in an unlocked locker above the locker that he was supposed to put it in while they are outside calling. So my wife realized all this, and they then took the money out of the locker that it wasn't supposed to be in, put it in the locker that was supposed to be in, and left the key the way they were supposed to leave the key. And there was a duplicate of that bla same black bag that they brought the money in. There was a duplicate of it that they were to walk away with. Now they so they they they ultimately did the right thing and they walked away. The police then the the the kidnapper, probably the keeper, went and collected the collected the money. He was wearing a hat and glasses and a mustache and all that to disguise himself. Police have a schematic, you know, sketches, plenty of sketches of them. They tried to follow him, no remember the radios didn't work under ground, so they followed him as much as they could until he got on one.
Speaker 2: With lucky lancelots. You can get lucky just about anywhere.
Speaker 3: Dearly beloved, we are gathered here today. Has anyone seen the bride and broom?
Speaker 2: Sorry, sorry we're here. We were getting lucky in the limo and we lost track of time.
Speaker 1: No Lucky Land casino with cash prizes that add up quicker than he gets registered.
Speaker 4: In in LU case, I pronounce you lucky for.
Speaker 2: Lucky landslots dot com. Daily bonuses are waiting. No purchase necessary. Boyd were prohibited by lock Team plus terms and conditions of playing Sea website for details.
Speaker 4: You know a subway New York City, a transit subway, and they lost them. They couldn't communicate. Now having said that, I when I asked the the the person in charge, the inspector, I said, well, what happened? You could They said, Jack, we could have grabbed them. That wasn't the plan. The plan was to get you back. The plan was not to grab the one kidnapper that we could have grabbed. The plan was to get you back safe, and we got you back safe. So they lost the kidnapper. Ultimately I was released, Thank goodness, you were released. But the danger wasn't over. You described the incredible elation for you and your family and seeing Janet again for the first time. You filthy. After a week, you have to be debriefed. It wasn't a process where you just went home and then when you went home there was this actual danger. What was the danger and how did you and your family and the police and FBI respond. You know, The danger was the constant threats. The police didn't know who these people were. I they were, they were? Were they part of a bigger group? Where they from this country? From not this country? Where were they? They didn't know. And the amount of threats and knowledge that they knew frightened certainly frightened me, and to the extent, to the extent that when they drew when I went. It was picked up that evening and I was driven to uh FBI headquarters in Manhattan on sixteen ninth Street. I didn't talk. I wasn't talking. I said, look, if I talk, my family isn't safe anymore. And I had no idea of the money, the amount the payoff, I had no idea. But I just wasn't talking. And until they until they brought my family in, and I talked to my family, and I saw that they were safe and found out a few of the particulars. And I spoke to the chief of detectives. I said, look, his name was Ed Curran, I said, Ed, or did mister Curran? I said, are you? I'm not really going to talk unless I know that my family has full uh protection. Until these people are caught, I don't we don't know who they are. The threats were to the extent they were gonna eliminate the entire family. And I can't live like that. So they then huddled and they came back to me and they said, Jack, we assure you you will get full protection your family and yourself until this case has resolved. And by the way, they lived up to it. They they live. They lived up to that. The police they they didn't know who these they were part of a radical group or individuals, or they didn't know anything. It came, you know, during the investigation the way down, they they were able to piece things together. But the the police did give us. They they gave us the first month, we had the FBI and detectives around the clock at our house if I left the house. And after the month, the FBI didn't supply anybody anymore, and the police came in and the police assigned five permanent police in shifts twenty four to seven shifts for about a year until things calmed down. So they were with us for a year.
Speaker 5: Now, what are the you talked about the police looking into trying to find these people, and they had no idea. The idea about the bank accounts especially when you gave them information about the questioning from the keeper and these people, these kidnappers, but from the keeper specifically. So what do police where do police look? Naturally?
Speaker 4: Yeah, well apparently they apparently they knew about the company pension plan and the company profit shearing plan. The company at the time was not a big company, but it didn't have any debt, didn't have any bank loans, and it did have a a for a company that size, for a very good employee pension and profit shearing plan. They had knowledge of those plans. So the first thing they did was interview anybody currently working for the company and anybody that had worked for the company. There were hundreds. The company I think at that time had about two hundred people, and I think they from my recollection, they interviewed four or five hundre going back ten years, anybody that ever worked for the company or had a close affiliation with the company. And they tracked these people down and interviewed them. And actually one individual that had worked for the company for fifteen years in our engineering department, had worked for us for fifteen years, had left the company and had gone to work it went on his own into some kind of a business. He didn't. He didn't make it in that business, and he ended up working for a similar competitor. I was a similar company located in New York also, and they went they called them and interviewed him the plea. And the way they did it was when an FBI agent went County police went out as a team. They went interviewed him the first time, and they just didn't like all of his answers, and they called them up and they said his name was Charlie, Charles Berkeley, and they said, Charlie, we'd like to come interview you again with some unanswered questions. So they went back a second time, interviewed him a second time, and they analyzed all his questions and his answers, and they called him again and said, Charlie, you know we need to talk to you again. Do you mind, And they set up an appointment with him, and he never showed up, and he disappeared and left his family four children, and they lived in co Op City, wife and four children, and disappeared for I believe it was at least two years. Yeah.
Speaker 5: The FBI also released a composite of the person that picked up the ransom with the fedora On. How useful was that or helpful was that?
Speaker 4: Well, he was the one that picked up the ransom with the fedora On was apparently the same the keeper that was the only one that really spoke to me and the only one that I had contact much content I had most ninety eight percent of the contact with He was the one that was eventually caught, tried and ended up getting twenty five years to life. Richard Warren Williams was his name, and he was a childhood friend of Charles Berkeley, the one that worked for me that took off. They went to school together, elementary school together. They even went to they were both in the in Korea. By the way, Charlie Charles Berkeley was a paratrooper during the Korean War and they and they went into the army together. These were very close friends. And they were both extremely intelligent, very well educated, very well spoken, and that was the connection. They were childhood friends.
Speaker 5: You write about some of William's background after he left your company. They had a checkered past in terms of a success. Tell us a little bit about how his life evolved after leaving the company.
Speaker 4: Yeah, No, Berkeley was the one that left the company. Williams actually never worked and didn't work for the company, but he did have a very checked past at the He ultimately was a very very successful real estate broker in California, had his own brokerage company, had people working for him. He then became a pilot and he went to one of the one of the West African countries and ran a charter service. He was a pilot and ran a charter service. He actually taught college for a while out in California. Although he wasn't a full college graduate, he was able to. He got a job teaching teaching higher education. So he had he was very very intelligent, had many many jobs and by the way, the him being a pilot and owning a plane one time was actually the one piece that did him in that they were able to try to start tracking him down through that, and they did even although he lived in New York, he was living in California, and he was ultimately caught in California and brought back to New York for trial and sentencing.
Speaker 5: When you talked about his background too, he ended up at a real estate company and he was doing really well, and part of the information that they had is that he began putting black militancy posters around the office, and it turned off customers and the staff itself, and he was even told but very much like when he was in captivity, he said to that person, I will do as I please. I am the boss, and you've got a lot of that when you were in captivity. A lot of that same sentiment that I am the boss, you won't tell me, and that kind of attitude was the information that they got that sent his career into a downspin earlier on.
Speaker 4: You're correct, the exact rhetoric that he professed while he was apparently a successful businessman broker was the identical rhetoric that he preached to me. Totally radicalized, totally power the haves and the have nots Anti Semitism came through, came through very very strong, and he was a smart guy that took the wrong road.
Speaker 5: You talk about this incredible trial and how expensive, how the media treated this as well, how important this story became in the area and nationally and internationally as well. The trial itself, he went through a couple of lawyers. At first he said he wanted to defend himself. Then he settled on an attorney named Cain and Caine, if you could describe it as a vigorous defense to say, the least motions as many motions as possible. Delays and combative nature in court was characterized by his behavior in court. Talked about lengthy pre trial proceedings and then jury selection, and then finally, almost three years later, there becomes there is the trial, and you are to testify at that trial. Tell us about just a little bit about the trial itself and the hoopla surrounding it.
Speaker 4: You know, the trial, you're correct. He went through several attorneys until he settled on this Donald Cain, who was known as a very very aggressive lawyer. It was a seventeen week trial, a lot of pre trial hearings and forty five witnesses. It was the longest trial in Nassau County. It was in state court. By the way, this was not federal court. And the reason it wasn't in federal court was that it didn't go across straight lines. It stayed in New York State. So New York State tried the case. The the It was very very contentious. Now me as the victim, I was only allowed in the courtroom when I testified and out of those seventeen weeks, I only was brought brought into testify I believe three or four occasions. And I was questioned by this Donald Caine, questioned by the prosecuting attorney, and cross examined by Caine. It was not a very pleasant experience, to say the least. The it was. It was nerve wracking to having to face him at that time, sitting sitting in the courtroom. But the trial lasted all this time because of the contemptuousness of both Williams, who carried on a lot himself, he was a jailhouse lawyer himself, and and Kane. And it's amazing that the judge, the judge lived, you know, accepted a lot of it. There were things he much that he wouldn't accept, but he accepted a lot more than I thought, uh he would have or should have accepted. But the judge was very cool headed. The witnesses were were great. They brought witnesses in from California, They brought brought witnesses and for all over the place. And how can you, how can you dispute when you when you have ten thousand dollars in a money belt on your on your person, which Williams had when he was caught of the serial numbers of the money that was part of the ransom money. How could you get out of that?
Speaker 5: So there there was all kinds of solid evidence that Cain argued about. He argued for or asked for a mistrail two hundred and fifty times. So I don't know if that's a record, but that is an incredible amount of times to be asking for a mistrial. And in fact, you were the last witness of mister Caine, Attorney Kane in this hearings, weren't you?
Speaker 4: I believe so? But that was there. I was up at least three times, you know, and my wife too. My wife of course was a witness also, but once and then they called me back a second time, and then they called me back a third time. And those were the only times I mentioned I was even allowed in the court room. Yeah.
Speaker 5: Now, the result of this trial, after this incredible amount of time and all the histronics that Attorney Kane exhibited at this trial, what was the verdict?
Speaker 4: The verdict kidnapping, extortion, guilty guilty verdicts and a twenty five to life sentence. Now, a twenty five to life sentence in New York State means you don't get out in twenty five years. It means you first can apply for parole, and normally you're not. You're never allowed out in twenty five years. It could go twenty eight, thirty, thirty five years, but in New York State twenty you got a twenty five years to life.
Speaker 5: The verdict twenty five years to life. How much did this settle you and your family? How much did this put things to rest? How much did this heal this what you'd realize later as PTSD? How much did this do to settle your entire family after this verdict and this lengthy ordeal of a trial.
Speaker 4: Dan, that's a very good question, you know, not much, because we knew there were at least three others out there. They got the main guy, but there's no question there were three others that that they that they didn't get, and not because they didn't try. Very odd So it was it was a little a little bit of solace, but not really a whole lot, to be honest.
Speaker 5: You talk about in April, in April nineteen eighty, a couple of years after this July twelfth sentencing nineteen seventy eight, Charles Berkeley turns himself in and he's been missing since nineteen seventy six. What happens with this effort to try to bring him to justice?
Speaker 4: Very good question, and I'm I it was four years now that you mentioned that. I said two years before a mistake. He took off f from four He t actually took off for four years. Why his b while his buddy went to prison for twenty five years to life. What happened was, as the story goes, he went to a reporter. He missed his family, and he said, I and and the ah. He went to a reporter he said, look I I I'm gonna turn myself in. I missed my family. And he did turn himself in, and they reporter walked him into h E the FBI or police headquarters, and they he was already indicted. So he was uh F the for the for the same crime that Williams was. So the district attorney that handled the case called him in. I guess he was out on bail called him in and said, look, Charlie, we are we are prepared to offer you full immunity if you tell us you're you came back, you missed your family, You're going to go through a trial like like like your friend Williams went through. We're going to offer you full immunally if you tell us everything, everything from the beginning. What did Berkeley do? He's sitting in in uh in the district attorney's office. He gets up, he said, I don't know what you're talking about, and he walked out. This is the arrogance of these individuals. And by the way, Williams was also offered during the course of a lenient leniency and all of that, if he would tell the whole story, same thing, he wouldn't wouldn't say a word. Now having said that with Berkeley, and he was ready to, he was indicted for the same similar crime, you know, indictment that Williams said, and he hired a lawyer and the it was over. The indictment was overturned. It was overturned, and he walked out of Freeman.
Speaker 5: Yes, nineteen ninety six. It was based on It was based on back again on that the judge did an admirable job, but Kane was again effective and aggressive attorney like you say. And then they went back in the appeal and said that there was a contentious issue over eliminating three black jurors, or or the DA was asked to prove that they didn't racially profile three black jurors when was a jury selection.
Speaker 4: Well, this was that was talking about Williams. Yeah. What happened was this was a federal This was a federal law, and the law, the law originally was that any prosecuting attorney or any defense attorney when selecting a jury, they were allowed X number of preemptory challenges. In other words, if a juror, they brought a jura up there and the either the prosecuting attorney or the or the defense attorney didn't like that jura for any reason whatsoever, black, he had purple hair, he had whatever, and they said, look, we don't want them. You didn't have to give a reason, and you could knock the jura out. They got each side got X number federal law. The federal government changed the law in the nineties where it where it said if you want to challenge, if you want to knock out a juror, you had to have number one a very good valid reason. You had to tell the reason to the judge, and the judge ruled on whether it was a valid reason or not so, and it was retroactive. And retroactive mean that that that prisoners not only Richard Richard Williams, there were dozens, many, many others that were entitled to a new trial because of the law. And the were black jurors that were knocked out of the jury pool. And the district attorney that as much many notes twenty one years later that he that he salvaged and they accepted most of what he said that apparently there was one one juror that his notes were not that clear on and why he was knocked out, and that led to the reversal of the trial, of the indict of the sentence.
Speaker 5: Interesting in practical terms, you talk about filing a civil suit against Williams, and you also talk about that he was a great You talked about he was very bright, and you noticed that right away that he became an effective jailhouse lawyer while he was in there filing lawsuits against the prisons that he was in for certain things. But let's talk about the civil suit against Williams. What did you believe that you could gain from it and what did you gain from it?
Speaker 4: Well, the civil suit I was brought in federal court, not state court, and we sued him in civilly for recovery of the seven hundred and fifty thousand dollars. I brought him into By this time I was I was seething mad. I brought him into civil court on at least three occasions for depositions. The depositions were two hour depositions at least maybe longer. I ultimately got a civil award in civil court for the seven hundred and fifty thousand dollars plus interest for all those years. So the award ended up to two point two million dollars or some number similar to that. And I went knowing Williams and the authorities always felt that Williams got the bulk of the money number one, and that with his real estate successful real estate background, that he invested the money. And so we tried to search as much as we can, and I spent money trying to find to search records, and we ultimately we couldn't find anything. Now that doesn't mean it's not out there. It means that he was smart enough. He had a brother living in the Virgin Islands, he had a couple of he had four children, he had wives. I mean, who knows where the where the money was invested, under whose name, and where it is. We just couldn't find it and the authorities. The authorities believe it's out there, and that's one of the reasons I offered in the book. I offered a reward for information the return of some of the money, plus or information on the kidnappers that were not brought to justice. I offered the fifty thousand dollars reward in the book, and not only that, if any of the money is collected, I'm not even keeping it. I'm donating it to the Federal Law Enforcement Foundation, which is a very fine organization taking care of federal and local police and time of need. I think they did a superb job. They were compassionate, they were smart, they were tenacious, and they did what they could. And I hold no re or regrets to them. But it's out there. We strongly feel it's out there. We just have that. I still have this judgment, an act of judgment.
Speaker 5: You talk about that it looks like my calculations about thirty eight thousand dollars was recovered from the house and then the wheelwells of the vehicle. I could be wrong on that, but there's certainly a lot of money that left unfound. You got to talk at the civil trial, You got to say something at the civil trial to Williams. What was the gist of what you had to say and how did it feel to get that off your chest?
Speaker 4: Yeah, well, yeah, I got to say what they call it, I guess a victim's impact statement. And I got up and I wrote this thing out myself and I said, well, now I'm gonna just let it, let him have it. And basically what I said was, you terrorized my family. You terrorized me for those days. You you and I am going to go after you, you every member of your family, your children, your wives, and we're going to find that money and we're gonna and Williams, if you die, I'm going to go after your estate and we're gonna find it and we're gonna get it. You're not gonna get away with this. So basically that's what I told him, And I mean, obviously it was a lot longer than that, but that was the gist was I got my payback and there's nothing that he can do now to me. And he terrorized myself and my family enough, and if the money's out there, we will find it. And by the way, the reason, the reason we decided to offer the reward now and it's in the book. We offered a reward in the book early on for information leading to we didn't know it was Williams and Lo and behold who noted the police that they think they have some information Williams's brother, Rudy Williams. Rudy Williams comes notifies the police that he has some information that the police may be interested in. And he was this Rudy Williams was a thief in his own right, and he did meet with the police a few times. He did give them some information, not a whole lot, but enough that it probably helped. And then he came after the reward money. So this is his own brother the what was I going to say? And Lo and behold, Rudy Williams and his fourteen year old son shortly after were shot executions in the basement of their house, also in Westchester County. So that's what happened to Rudy Williams, and the crime has never never really been solved, one hundred percent solved. He was into gambling and it could very well have been part of his thievery over the years, not connected to the k kidnapping, but anyway, he was killed.
Speaker 5: Yeah, incredible. So in this book you write quite a bit about and we didn't really get into it because it would be much much longer interview, but about your horror in your one week's stay in captivity, not knowing whether they were going to kill you, because at first they said they were going to just rob you and let you go, and then you finally said, well, why didn't you just rob me in the driveway. So you had your suspicions and for good reason that you thought they're just gonna kill me. They're gonna kill me. You talk about in this book throughout how you survived, how your family survived, and you give credit to those people. Tell us, as you write in the book, who you give great credit to in this for your survival and how things turned out favorably.
Speaker 4: Well, firstly, my wife, I mean she had the with two little children to raise. She she was incredible, strong woman, thirty year old. I mean she was a kid. She was, I mean, we were all young. She was incredible. The the the I think I think the the police were incredible. They helped my family together. My brother was incredible by the way, he was the original target. We didn't get to talk to that. But they tried to get him twice on two separate occasions, not knowing what the kid not knowing that it was a prelude to a kidnapping, but two separate about three months, three four months before they got me, they tried to get him and both of them were both instances were foiled. He he suspected something he didn't know was a kidnapping. He suspected they tried to lure him to on two different occasions, to lure him to to once to come to the Westchester County Airport and once to go back to our factory in Brooklyn on a Sunday night the rain, and he he just thought there was something didn't sit right, the story that just didn't the lower story just didn't sit right with him, and he didn't fall for it, luckily, And about three months after that they came after me.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and in retrospect he realized what that was, but not until the kidnapping and afterwards and then realized, yeah, you.
Speaker 4: Know, at the airport, they tried to lure him at the airport. See, he suspected something was wrong. It was a small private airport, and he brought his wife, my son who was sleeping in his house for the weekend, and they had a big dog. And instead of going alone, he went, you know, all four of them went together and they must have gotten scared the kidnappers and said, look, we what are we going to do? You know we have and and they took you know, they must have taken off and there was nobody there. Obviously. That was one time and he realized didn't know it was a kidnapping. He said, this whole thing smells bid. I don't know what it is, but it just doesn't sit right.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you had your own suspicions that night in November nineteen seventy four when you thought it was unusual for somebody to be following you as well, and then when they engaged in conversation and again you had that split moment. Am I going to run? But you decided not because it might endanger your family. You in this book Operation jack Nap capture every excruciating moment that you are in captivity, held in the dark, a bucket to relieve yourself, and just horrible, horrible conditions that you endured, not knowing what would happen to you, what would you be your fate? And meanwhile, your brave wife and your two sons didn't know either. So it's an incredible tale as you segue back and forth between your captivity and a captivity of sorts with your family, with FBI and police handlers in the home. I want to thank you very much, Jack Tesh for coming on and talking about Operation jack Knapp, A true story of kidnapping, extortion, ransom and rescue. Thank you very much. I know this book is available on Amazon everywhere. I urge people am.
Speaker 4: All of the booksellers. It came out June second, so actually this month, yes doing doing very well and and the reward is very clearly listed in the book.
Speaker 5: Yes, that's Wally, Yes still out there. The money is out there, and the reward for any information for that money its return is there. Thank you very much, Jack Tesh. It's been a delight Operation Jacknap, A true story of the kidnapping, extortion, ransom and rescue. Thank you very much, Jack Tesh. Good night, good night,