Speaker 1: Welcome to Guardians Weekly on the Cleveland Guardians Radio Networth. Guardians Weekly is brought to you by Progressive helping Guardians fans save hundreds on car insurance. Hi, everyone, welcome to Guardians Weekly. Chirmros in house along with you as we join you from Angel Stadium in Anaheim. This weekend, the Guardian into Angels playing a three game weekend series and for the Guardians it's the back end of a three city road swing that will lead them back home after Sunday series finale and finally the home opener for the Guardians on Tuesday. Good show lined up for you today as we will hear from Stephen Osterer, the Guardian's Vice president of player Development. We'll have a farm report previewing the Akron Double a season. We'll also hear from Kyle Manzardo and Logan Allen after some impressive performances earlier this week, and former Cleveland Indian and Angels broadcaster Mark Langston with some great memories of his time with the nineteen ninety nine edition of the Cleveland Indians. That's all coming up in just a little bit, but first to look back at our weekend review, and we begin on Sunday at Kansas City, the series finale there and with the series even up at one win a piece after the first two games, the Guardians had tannered By on the mound after his bout with food poisoning that pushed back his first start a few days, took him off of opening Day, but he was all set to go on Sunday and the Guardians, we're glad to have their ace back out there. Now the wind now the one oh swing by win and a routine fly to left. Stephen Kwan has it measured, drifts into left center makes the catch.
Speaker 2: Boy, did Tanner Biby need that? That was an eight pitch inning.
Speaker 1: Here comes the one two pitch called strike three, fastball right down the middle, and Garcia took it, and Bibby has his second strikeout on the afternoon. Bibby has now set down eleven straight Kansas City, wishing maybe the food poisoning could have kept Tanner Biby out of the series. Now the two oh swung on a broken bat bouncer, the first handled by Santana and that's twelve in a row set down and the defense behind Bibby was terrific in this one as well. Mikeel Garcia three for six in the young campaign. Right handed hitter at third the pitch and he hits a ground ball up the middle, diving to his left fielding in Rochio up throwing got him pa want to play by Brian Rochio in short sharply hit back up the middle. Rokio, diving towards second, smothered it and got the speedy Garcia. Renfro had to hold it second too down. Brian Rochio is going to win a Gold Globe someday. The Guardians took a one nothing lead in the second inning on a sack fly by Gabrielarius, and they added to the lead in the fifth with a runner on and the hot hitting Kyle Manzardo at the plate. Here's the one to zero, swung on and blasted by Kyle Manzardo, high and deep to right and off the facing of the fountains.
Speaker 2: Home run.
Speaker 1: Mansardo, who's hot start, continues, there's.
Speaker 2: Your big blow.
Speaker 1: All four of his hits this series against left handed pitching. Well, he had a big double off of long in the opener and his two run home run makes it three nothing.
Speaker 2: Cleveland.
Speaker 1: Another long ball in the sixth inning, this time Gabrielarius. The bitch swung on, hit a ton deep right field. This ball is going. This ball is gone. Gabriel Larius with an opposite field home run to right and the Guardians laid at four to nothing. In Ricochete off the back wall behind the right field wall and the Guardians pounding a couple of home runs here in the last two innings. Then Stephen quandrove in another run in the sixth with the ground out to make it five to nothing, and in the eighth Daniel Steamen joined on the fun The.
Speaker 2: Pit swing on hit high, hit deep to right center.
Speaker 1: Renfro track wall leaps, it is gone, a solo home run to right center. Bye, Daniel Schneeman. Cleveland has its third of the game and lead a six.
Speaker 2: To nothing the Royals.
Speaker 1: They got on the board with two runs in the bottom of the eighth inning, but the six to two lead was enough. With a manual class A on in the ninth to finish things up. The pit swing and a mess bugging high cutter gets Bobby went Tandon and the Guardians have captured their first series of the season, taking two out of three here in Kansas City.
Speaker 2: They win the rubber match here today six to two.
Speaker 1: It was onto San Diego after the Kansas City Series and a tough three days. It was in San Diego as the Padres swept the Guardians seven to two, seven to nothing, and five to two in the series finale on Wednesday, leading into the off day on Thursday, and even though it's early, the off day seemed to come at a good time, as the Guardians had their hitting shoes on Friday night, most notably Jose Ramirez. Ramirez switch inter manning left handed. The kick and delivery Ramire was.
Speaker 2: With a long drive, deep bright field down for Ramirez.
Speaker 1: Jose Ramirez has now hit seven home runs in this ballpark in his last eleven games. A line drive, bullet to right, and the Guardians have a one nothing lead here in the top of the first. The Angels answered in the bottom of the first with a solo home run from their superstar Mike Trout that tied the game at one, but the Guardians came right back with a run in the second thanks to a two out hit from Brian Rocchio. The pitch with a shot to center. That's a Mase hit over toward the right center to cut it off. A Dell hustling to second. Is Rokyo coming home arius throat of the plate? Slide take safe? I think the Angels will challenge to call it the plate A line drive would look like a normal base hit to center, just to the right of it, and Rokio hustling towards second to make it a hustle double and Gabrielius never stopped running and a close play at the plate. Thought that maybe the Angels would challenge the call, but they did not. That'll be a double, an RBI and Rokyo to third on the throat of the plate. The Angels again responded, scoring three in the third to take a four to two lead, and it stayed that way until the fifth. That's when Jose Ramirez stepped in again, with this time a runner on base out the two to two, swung on and launched high and deep to right.
Speaker 2: Is it a multi homer game? You bet? Howt it goes to right field?
Speaker 1: Home run Jose Ramirez and with one swing this game is.
Speaker 2: Tied at four three on the season. Now for Ramirez.
Speaker 1: And with that Guardians offense sluggish here at the start of the season, no one better to ignite it than Jose Ramirez. The Angels threatened in the bottom of the fifth inning, as they had the bases loaded with just one out and Tim Herron on the mound for the Guardians trying to keep the game tied. Here's Heron's pitch swung on and there's a high fly ball to center cruising after it is Lane Thomas and he makes the catch and Heron works out of it. Angels leave the bases loaded. We are headed to the sixth. Then in the six another big two out hit from Brian Rochio put the Guardians back on top. Swung on grounded toward third Bye Moncata in the left field of a said Manzarto and Naylor score. There's the big hit from Rochio and Cleveland's got a six to four lead. Asarius scampers to third Yoan Moncata trying to play it to his glove side and for some reason kind of went to a half slide, half dive and at no point has Yoan Moncata been mistaken for Brooks Robinson, and that turns into a practically gift two out, two run single. Kate Smith came on with the lead in the sixth and made quick work of the Angels that bit swung on him, miss got him to chase down and away. Kate Smith, well, is he automatic or what? Two stray outs in one, two, three, sixth, thenning and Cleveland's got a six to four lead heading to the seventh. Then in the seventh the Guardians were looking for more. They had runners at the corners with one out and Kyle Manzardo at the plate.
Speaker 2: Here's the two to.
Speaker 1: Two swung on hit pretty well to left, bank goes ward. He'll make the catch, but this will easily get the run home. Kwan tags and scores. Another good event for Kyle Manzardo. Seven to four Cleveland, Manzardo with a team high eight RBIs on the sack fly to left, and Cleveland getting back to doing some of the little things tonight. The Guardians bullpen continue to throw up zeros, with Paul Seawald getting it done in the seventh, and then Hunter Gattis was on in the eighth. Again the three to two swim and a miss got them for the slider away. So the punch outs continue as Cleveland pitchers have struck out fourteen angels tonight, and then in the top half of the ninth, Jose Ramirez did it one more time now the one to one swung at it hammerd Hi deep to right center, Hawai backing go and for the second time in his career, Hose Ramirez with a three homer game and the Guardians with an eight to four lead here in the ninth and Ramirez with nine home runs in his last eleven games in this ballpark, and even the late night chill couldn't keep Jose in the ballpark. Amonial Classe was on in a non safe situation in the bottom of the ninth. The Angels did nick him for a pair of runs, but the Guardians hang on for an eight to six win. That's your weekend review. Stay with us when we come back. We'll hear from cal Manzardo Logan, Allen, Mark Langston, and Stephen Osterer, all part of Guardians Weekly. This week Cleveland Clinic Guardians Radio Network.
Speaker 3: A progressive home and auto bundle can protect you around the clock, but we can't protect you from those painful moments in sports. I can't believe they're moving the team to another city. True, but you'll never forget all the joy they brought into your life.
Speaker 1: Joy they made the playoffs twice in fifty years, gosh.
Speaker 3: Those two times were pretty great, weren't they. How would I know?
Speaker 2: I wasn't even born yet.
Speaker 3: Just think of all the free time you'll have on game days.
Speaker 2: Those games were the highlight of my week.
Speaker 3: Well, at least your Homan auto or protected with a bundle from Progressive Progressive Casual Game Terns Company affiliate to other.
Speaker 4: Injuri's not available in those stags A situations.
Speaker 1: On Heal Surpas pitch swung on and Kyle Manzarto with a deep drive deep right center. This ball's got a chance.
Speaker 2: It is gone.
Speaker 1: Kyle Mansardo into the fountains and right center, left on left, and man Sarto has given Cleveland its first lead of the campaign at four to three on Heal. Sirpa, who was so big for the Royals a year ago, brought in to face the left tender and on a left on left matchup, Kyle Manzardo blasted won four hundred and twenty four feet to the fountains and right center. Manzardo another guy who just came into camp bounding with confidence based on September and what he did in October. Welcome back to Guardian's Weekly. Jim Rosenhause back with you from Angels Stadium in Anaheim. Kyle Mansardo has been off to a really nice start where the Guardians at the plate the d H first Basement finished the season strong a year ago and had a solid postseason and that carried over to spring training and he's been off to a terrific start the first week of the regular season. We caught up with him after the series in Kansas City and he talked about how the experience he gained last year has been a big factor in his hot start.
Speaker 5: I mean it's definitely, you know, how I hope to start my year. Obviously, baseball's a roller coaster, so I mean you can't always control the results, but just trying to be mindful of you know, maya bats and trying to learn from each one, especially early on like this. But it feels good to get off to a good start.
Speaker 2: You had a good spring.
Speaker 1: But players always say, you know, spring training is different and the regular season is a whole different animal. Why do they say that and how is it different from what you trying to do?
Speaker 5: Yeah, you've got a more uh you know, big league, big league atmosphere once the season starts. But I think for me, you know, making sure that I was truly preparing for the season during my my spring training at bats and uh, you know, learn trying to learn from each one throughout the spring has uh you know, helped me settle in I think early early on here.
Speaker 1: As a left handed hitter, a lot of your damage early has come against left handed pitching.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 1: Explain your approach though it sounds like you try and not think about it too much.
Speaker 6: Yeah, yeah, I mean I don't. I try.
Speaker 5: I try and just treat them like uh, like just any at bat, you know, the way way I have my whole life.
Speaker 3: And uh, I don't.
Speaker 5: Know, it's you know, yielded yielded success early on. And I think as long as I'm not trying to do too much and just staying within myself, looking for for a good pitch to hit, and just going.
Speaker 1: Those things you just mentioned that you've come through in key spots points in the game that have turned the game. Is that the key those things that you just mentioned.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I think.
Speaker 5: Just deciding that whenever whenever I do swing the bat, I'm gonna do it with with conviction, not like starting my swing and second guessing whether or not it's a strike or a pitch that I can hit hard, but just trusting my eyes and you know, trusting my hands and working through the big part of the field defense.
Speaker 1: When when you look at what you're working on, you haven't had that opportunity yet to play first base, but you've been working hard to explain what you've been doing to try and get better there, so that when you do get that chance, you're ready.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Just you know, working working hard pregame, making sure that you know, I'm not falling behind on any of my work so that whenever I do get to get a shot over there, I'll be prepared and ready for it.
Speaker 1: Team WISA a good series against the Royals over the weekend. You come here to play a Padres team that looks like they're gonna be trouble for the National League and in general. How important are these games here early in the season to make sure that this team's competing and doing what they think they can do.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean, I think the the general mindset, you know throughout the team is that that all these games are, you know, equally important, especially early on. So we'll go out in the same way we go to anybody.
Speaker 1: You've been here before, but just for a workout pre draft. Is this as much fun as anything else as part of your your rookie season to see the new ballparks, maybe the ones that you haven't seen before.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, I mean it's definitely definitely one of the cooler parts of you know, getting to be with the team, you know early on, is you know, checking out some new fields.
Speaker 1: Kyle, always great to see it.
Speaker 6: Thank you, thank you.
Speaker 1: It's first basement d H Kyle Manzardo who has been put right in the middle of that Guardians lineup on most nights and it has worked well for the team. Stay with us, We'll have more to come after this. Kim Rosanow's back with you at Angels Stadium in Anaheim. It's Guardians Weekly. Thanks so much for joining us as we bring you Baseball talk on the radio for an hour every Saturday morning wherever you're tuned in on the Guardians Radio network. WTAM in Cleveland airs the show at seven am, as does wma N and Mansfield and WMRN in Marion, and then it's an eleven o'clock show in Youngstown on WKBN. Of course, you can hear it wherever you like to download your favorite podcasts. Logan Allen made the starting rotation for the Guardians after a really good spring training and some hard work in the off season. He was named the fifth starter in the rotation and his first start came on Tuesday in San Diego. Pitched pretty well despite a loss. We caught up with him prior to that first start and he says, it never gets old when the manager tells you you've made the ball club on an opening day.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I mean, I think Voter said it best when he when we kind of we had that team meeting and he's like, you know, opening days of blessing and an honor for everybody. You know, anytime you get to do it. So you know, to be here for my second one is really cool and you know, obviously.
Speaker 2: Happy to be back here at the big league club.
Speaker 7: So yeah, there's definitely a lot of work and everything like that, but obviously the work's just getting started too. But no, it's definitely nice to have the results from spring payoff and you know, have this opportunity to be.
Speaker 6: Up here and have a chance of wing games.
Speaker 1: To get those results. What did you have to do and what were some of the things that you really focused on, maybe as far back as as last year before the season even ended.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I think it's just you know, I think I'm just trying to, you know, go out there, trust my stuff, go right after guys, you know, just put pressure on the hitters. I think last year I did a lot of you know, nibbling and putting a lot of pressure on myself and make perfect pitches and just trying to put the flip that put the pressure on them. What the guys in defense make their plays, you know, let them, let them do their jobs out there.
Speaker 1: And you mentioned that, and it sounds so simple, but obviously it's not the easiest thing in the world to do. Does your stuff have to get better? And are there things that you can do that that allow your stuff to be better this spring so that you can go ahead and be aggressive.
Speaker 7: Uh yeah, if you feel like like stuff's probably in a similar spot, I mean maybe has ticked up a bit, you know what I mean. Just just being in the back in this environment facing these guys kind of bring the best.
Speaker 6: Out of you.
Speaker 7: But uh yeah, more than anything, I think, and just just trying to trust my stuff, whether whether it has gotten better or not, just going out there and trusting it and remember that's hard to hit and not giving these guys too much credit.
Speaker 1: I know Steven Vote and Carl Willis both said they feel you're moving better on the mound. Do you feel that and has that resulted in some better results?
Speaker 2: Yeah, for sure.
Speaker 7: I think just you know, not being out there worrying about mechanics as much, you know, kind of moving feeling like you're moving a little free or I think that that's the biggest thing. And you know, not being so caught up and are you know, hitting the right checkpoints, moving on the bound and just kind of feeling you can go out there and compete, you know, just and play the game, enjoy the game. So I think it's been nice to be back in that kind of mindset a.
Speaker 6: Little bit more.
Speaker 1: Logan Allen joining us as he makes his first start of the season tonight, and Logan, you face the Padres obviously a good lineup. The difference between spring training regular season in terms of scouting reports and preparation, How different is it for a major league start in a regular season compared to a Cactus league start.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I mean, we definitely do a lot more homework here for this regular season games just different because you're facing guys, you know, three or four times through. You kind of don't see that in spring as much. So being able to know how to set guys up for multiple at bats, I think it is probably the biggest difference in terms of scouting. But yeah, definitely a little bit different than a Cactus League start for sure.
Speaker 1: And is it kind of fun for you to get away from just kind of worrying about, you know, some of the things that you're trying to take care of in spring training and then really diving into an opponent and seeing how that fits with what you like to do.
Speaker 7: Yeah, for sure. I think it just you know, it kind of brings a fan out any you know, sitting there watching the games and studying back scene as they face other guys that are similar to you, and just seeing anything you can pick up from a guy that can potentially help you in then a bat here or there. So yeah, I definitely, I definitely enjoy it, and yeah, ready to.
Speaker 6: Get to it.
Speaker 1: I Logan, thanks lot for coming. I appreciate it.
Speaker 2: Thank you appreciate it.
Speaker 1: As that is Logan Allen the Guardian spitz starter in their rotation, and he's coming off a terrific spring and looking for big things as the season gets under way. Well, we're here in Anaheim, and that means we get to catch up with a former Cleveland Indian who had a lengthy major league career. Talking about Mark Langston, who is now part of the radio broadcast crew for the Angels. He pitched in Cleveland at the end of his major league career in nineteen ninety nine, appearing in twenty five games for the Indians. That was after a stellar career eight seasons with the Angels, six more with Seattle, also time with Montreal San Diego and the Guardians one hundred and seventy nine wins over those sixteen seasons. We had a chance to catch up with him and talk about how special that nineteen ninety nine season was that he spent in Cleveland.
Speaker 8: You know, truly one of the most funnest summers I've ever had in my entire life.
Speaker 6: Wet to spring training with San Diego.
Speaker 8: Was released in the last week of the season, came home, which I lived here in Anaheim. The Indians were opening the season against the Angels here. May As you called me and said, hey, they want you to throw a stimulate a game. So I ran came out here, Dwight Gooden and I were throwing a simulated game, and it's it was very ironic because Doc and I both came up the exact same year in nineteen eighty four, and here we were, you know, for me for certainly the back end of my career, kind of the back end of his career.
Speaker 6: He pitched a little bit longer.
Speaker 8: But out there throwing a simulator game. I guess the Indians liked it. I ended up signing and by the time they got off the roadhop because they sent me to Florida real quick to do a rehab. By the time they came off the road trip, they made a call and said, you're come on up to Cleveland. So spent the entire season one of the funnest teams I've ever played on my entire life. It was so much fun and just to see that team. It's still to this day. It's the best lineup I had ever seen. I always explained to people. They always ask me, what's the best lineup you've ever had? I go, it's not even close. The ninety nine Indian team that I played on, best lineup up and down and all start every position. They just mashed and it was fun to watch them on a nightly basis.
Speaker 1: And the vibe in the city you came in as a visitor before than Jacob's Field night and day when you came back as a player for the Cleveland Indian.
Speaker 6: Oh, definitely.
Speaker 8: Once they put Jacobs Field into play, it was really revived the downtown area. It was fun to come there and play. And in fact, once I got there, I still remember this. I try to get some cable TV for my apartment that I was in and they said, sorry, it's going to be about three weeks. I go, oh, man, three weeks, how about some tickets to the Indians game? And immediately guy goes, I'll be there in ten minutes. Ten minutes later, guys knocking on my door. Look at my.
Speaker 6: Cable up, here's six tickets for you. Because you couldn't get a ticket to those games. Those games were sold out.
Speaker 8: Every game every night was sold out, forty five thousand people every night.
Speaker 6: It was the happening place. And that team was.
Speaker 8: So much fun to be around, and the city really embraced them and they had a you know, when I got there, there already had a really good run and I think the people were excited to sit and watch the talent on a nightly basis.
Speaker 1: I were going to take some fans down Memory Lane for off the field stuff. Music and baseball have a great relationship. You were part of that at a time where there were some other musicians on the team. Tell us about that.
Speaker 8: Yeah, in ninety nine, Richie Sexon and I we used to bring our guitars on the road and we'd sit in the rooms and play the guitars and goof around. I go, you know, we should do like a charity event. Let's throw something together, and we literally did in like three weeks. We put together I think they we called trib Jam, and so we did it down in the flats, the little amphitheater that was down there, and we didn't know what was gonna happen.
Speaker 6: I think we.
Speaker 8: Charged like ten dollars and all the money was going to charity, and we had all the participation of everybody on the team.
Speaker 6: All the players showed up and Jim told me he had a guitar.
Speaker 8: He couldn't play it, but he acted like he's gonna play it, and he ended up breaking it on stage.
Speaker 6: Omar, who was a drummer, actually got up and played the drums.
Speaker 8: Dave Burba saying everybody participated and it was really a fun time. Bernie Cozard, the very first one he came out was firing footballs into the crowd for the people we packed the place in and I literally in my mind, going only here in this town, with this team, could you pull this off? Because that's how embraced everybody was the team with the fans, the fans with the team, and to see these guys outside of what they saw Jacob Spield, to see them goofy and having fun on stage was really a special time and I felt very blessed we put that together. I did it one more year in two thousand and it was so much fun being part of that and again to show the fans a different side of these Indian players.
Speaker 1: For the most part, players can't pick when it's over as a player. It turns out that's your last year. Looking back on it, you okay with that? That that's how it ended.
Speaker 6: Sure, I went to spring training two thousand with the Indians.
Speaker 8: In fact, I talked my buddy Chuck Finley into you said, hey man, this is a great team.
Speaker 6: You got to come check it out.
Speaker 8: And he ended up signing that spring and I went to spring and it just wasn't I wasn't having a great spring.
Speaker 6: And I remember the last time I was on the mound.
Speaker 8: We had seen our buddy Eddie Money the night before Chuck and I and I just remember just the start that I wasn't even started.
Speaker 6: Chuck to actually started the game.
Speaker 8: And then I came in right after Chuck, and I think I gave up five runs some base you know, some some little blue pits, and then a three run home run.
Speaker 6: That I gave up, and I just went, it's time to take it to the house, you know.
Speaker 8: So I you know, I was fighting that for the last probably two or three years of my career, but I felt like that was the time. And I remember John Hart going, you know, you make this team. You don't have to performance spring training. I know, but I feel the tug of going home. My daughter was going to be a freshman in high school, so I felt like I need to go protect the door with her, you know now being a freshman in high school.
Speaker 1: Great memories. Thanks for sharing and enjoy the game tonight.
Speaker 8: My pleasure always great catching up with you, always fund talking the Indians baseball.
Speaker 6: One of my fun of summers ever.
Speaker 1: Always fun to visit with Mark Langston, one of the radio voices for the Los Angeles Angels and a former Cleveland Indian nineteen ninety nine edition, and clearly had a great time in his one season with the Indians. Stay with us, we'll have more to come after this.
Speaker 9: With Progressive Customer Service, there are lots of ways to connect with us, so you never have to miss a second of your favorite sport, because you'd much rather watch a ball go through a net one hundred and twenty four times in forty eight minutes when you don't really have to pay attention until the last two, and then somehow those two minutes we will take an hour.
Speaker 2: You don't want to miss all that.
Speaker 9: Luckily, you can chat with Progressive on our app, online, or over the phone without missing a single one of those times the ball goes through the metal. Simple Progressive plaget T Insurance Company affiliate to other insurers. Not available in all states or situations.
Speaker 1: Jim Rosenow's back with you at Angels Stadium in Anaheim. It's Guardians Weekly. Thanks so much for joint us as we bring you baseball talk on the radio for an hour every Saturday morning. All Right, we're gonna wrap it up with a farm report. Stephen Oster is the vice president of player development for the Guardians, and we talk about Akron this week is say got underway on Friday night, and we began with a word or two about Rubber Ducks manager Greg Descenzo and why he's the right man for the job at the Double A level.
Speaker 10: Yeah, he's awesome.
Speaker 11: Another manager that we're very lucky to have spent a lot of time in college. Understands what it takes to work hard and to view it from the player's side as well. So he's one of those guys that you love playing for and he's gonna put you know, he's gonna be hard on you, but just enough that the challenging to make you better and tell it to you straight. He's been at the level before. He's in Triple A for a year. Very very fortunate to have Desenzo.
Speaker 1: When you look at top prospects there and everyone wants to know where's Travis Bizana going to start. He's going to start at Double A. Acron how come and what are some of the things that you're looking for him to work on? Especially early in the season.
Speaker 11: Yeah, I mean, these decisions are never really easy. I think when we were thinking about Travis and any of our young players, we're thinking of what does the best development opportunity for them, you know, in terms of challenge with the game level, and then the opportunity to go and work on the things they need to work on. We thought double A was the best blend of both of those things. He's done a really good job over the offseason working on the defense, showing some of those improvements in his time in spring training, and he is going to continue to work on those things in double and get a ton of playing time at second base with the bat. It's it's special, you know. I think Travis is a really good process and understanding of what he needs to do to get better, even at the time at the potential detriment at times of maybe not performing as much as.
Speaker 10: You'd want to.
Speaker 11: He understands what it is to straddle the line between performing now and doing the things that I need to do to get better so that can impact the big big league team in the long terms. So double A is a great fit for him, and seeing him out there will be a lot of fun.
Speaker 1: Another player. On the position player side, c J. Kapis had a big year last year, and what do you see from him as he gets ready for this season.
Speaker 10: Yeah, really talented hitter.
Speaker 11: He had a lot of success last year and in High A and also with Akron. Similar to a lot of guys in their first year professional baseball. As you get towards the end of the season, things get harder on you physically, and you know, understanding what it takes to sort of have a full year of games when you're coming from the college side or the high school side can be difficult. So there's maybe a little bit of fatigue that set in, and he tackled a lot of the physical side of things that he needed to do to be able to with stand and thrive throughout the entire year. So heading back to Double A great hitter, had a lot of success last year. We're looking for him to continue to build on that and then I think expose him to you know, not only just playing first base, but a little bit more of the outfield and gives some versatility there.
Speaker 1: Behind the play. We talked about Cody Huff at Triple A. Cooper Engel also in big league camp for a little bit similar type catcher or a little bit different skill set.
Speaker 11: There, Yeah, slightly different skill set, a bit of a different profile than a Cody Huff, where Cooper's got a really strong bat tool, his his contact skill set elite, and I think his defensive work has come a long way.
Speaker 10: Since he's come, since he's joined the organization.
Speaker 11: His exposure, similar to Cody or any of the players in the major league environment, allowed him to see some of the things that he needs to do from you know, defensive side, from a preparation side, and you know what it takes to be leading a staff at the major league levels. So you know a lot of those things were refined for him over the last few weeks in spring training and he's going to go ahead and tackle those things in Akron to start the year.
Speaker 1: Let's get on the mound at Double A Acron and we're joined by Steven Ostro, the farm director for the Guardians. Austin Peterson. Let's start there, and what are you seeing from him as he gets ready for the Double A season.
Speaker 11: Austin was I think he led our entire organization in innings last year. I think he was at one hundred and sixty, which is a substantial load and you know, in the top five or six in all.
Speaker 10: Of minor league baseball. He had a great year last year.
Speaker 11: He's he's a command first guy, has always been that way, and we've tried to continue to move the needle on the velocity. This offseason he took another step and we're hoping to see that kind of hole.
Speaker 10: Throughout the year. He's a big guy, he's about six seven six'. Eight you has to.
Speaker 11: Continue to work on the physical, side and when you're logging a ton of, innings there's a lot of work that goes into. That so he tackled that this offseason and we're really excited to see how that kind of plays out and for the newfound velocity to you, know hopefully miss more bats and allow him to continue to develop at the upper.
Speaker 1: Levels if it's a secret and he can't, answer say, so but how do you get a young pitcher to increase their.
Speaker 10: Velocity it's a full prong.
Speaker 11: Approach SO i think what we do really well is an organization is look outside of not just the pitching, side but we crossed into the, physical the, nutrition and the medical, side the mental performance side to get a holistic picture of what we can do to make the player better on the velocity, spectrum it's very much there's a physical, component there's a mental component to training the way you need to train to get the. Velocity there's the pitching side obviously with how they're moving the, delivery and generally it's a. Count it is a mixture of all those things to try to move the. Needle In austin's, case it was a combination of all those things as. Well so you, KNOW i think we take pride in being able to kind of work across the aisle with all the domains and try to just get the biggest broad picture of how we can move the needle.
Speaker 1: PHYSICALLY a couple other guys in the rotation down at a Acron Aaron, DAVENPORT i, know put up really good numbers a year, ago and how do you see him progressing and what are some of the next steps that he needs to work.
Speaker 10: On, Yeah Aaron davenport had a great year last.
Speaker 11: Year he threw a ton of inings and really commanded the strike, zone which is a.
Speaker 10: Huge focus for.
Speaker 11: Him he's one of those guys that when he puts his mind on, something he generally to achieve.
Speaker 10: IT i think as we continue to move.
Speaker 11: Forward there's some refining and going from you, know throwing strikes to executing maybe a tick more to where you want to execute it so that you can miss more bats and not rely potentially on some of the weak contact that he has in the. Past the arsenal continues to get, refined and he's throwing a little bit, harder and he's done a lot of the things in the off season to make him a more complete. Pitcher so going back To, akron continue to show that and take the next step that we can hopefully see him as a starter In TRIPLE a this.
Speaker 1: Year and one last name on the pitching, Front Zach. Morehouse we saw him a little bit during the course Of major league spring training coming over from minor league. Camp relievers at The DOUBLE a, level what are you looking for from, them and in this Case morehouse.
Speaker 11: Stuff they have to throw, hard they have to have, secondaries and they need to execute. Them the mentality to go out and compete is generally what we're looking for with. Everyone when you're you, know Like Zay moreuse is a twenty three draft, pick you, know sometimes you move really fast if you've got stuff quality and you're able to. Execute and that's what he's. Done so you spent some time In akron last, year did very, well you, know got into some major league.
Speaker 10: Games he throw out spring and kept getting asked to get back into.
Speaker 11: Major league games by the staff because they are very obvious signs that's he's a good. Pitcher so, continuing similar to all our, guys just refine the little things of the preparation and knowing what it's like to handle the workload and continually just move the needle as much as we can on this stuff has been a big focus and you know he's shown signs of being.
Speaker 10: Electric it's just dialing in the consistency of.
Speaker 1: That that Is Stephen, ostro the vice president of Player development for The, guardians and we appreciate the update on The acron roster at the start of the. Season and that's going to do it for this week's edition Up Guardians. Weekly as, always thanks To Brian matse for all of his help on the. Show we will join you next week from Back, home finally a show From Progressive field end as we'll be back In. Cleveland seems like it's been forever after spring training in the lawn road trip to start the, season but looking forward to opening, day the home opener On, tuesday man a good homestand with The White sox And royals coming to. Town until, then this Is Jim rosenhause reminding you that you've been listening To Guardians weekly on The Cleveland Clinic Guardians Radio. Network The Guardians weekly has been brought to you By Progressive Helping Guardians fans say hundreds on car insurance