Speaker 1: Welcome to the nonprofit. Say again, the Bible is one hundred percent correct.
Speaker 2: Huh.
Speaker 1: I was thinking maybe it was more of a question of Sully stories made by people a couple thousand years ago who thought eating selfish was a sin and slavery was an okay practice. Are you arching an eyebrow? You should be. Let's have Kelly get us through this article from the Wild Hunt. Shall we Kelly take it away?
Speaker 3: Well? Helen? Christian nationalist lawmakers in West Virginia have introduced a resolution to have the Bible recognized as an accurate historical record of human history. I guess they just forgot the first four hundred and fifty thousand years. And then it goes on to describe it as the ultimate moral authority and claiming it is divinely inspired. Even worse, the resolution calls for the Bible to be placed prominently in all public buildings, including schools, and give it a reverend from state laws and policies, currently law declaring the Kingship of Jesus Christ as being advanced to North Dakota. Of course, these resolutions are totally unconstitutional and hopefully won't hold up in court, but it seems at least some of the state government GOP leaders have recognized this as well, because they seem to be shuffling this bill around so it doesn't gain any traction in any of the committees. Now, if it does manage to get past one of these committees, it will head to the ballot box and be voted on in twenty twenty six to see if the state's residents are willing to defy the US Constitution and codify this resolution into state law. So this will be an interesting vote to keep an eye on in the future. This story is from The Wild Hunt by Many moreto and Many Tejeda, published on March fourth, twenty twenty five.
Speaker 1: Okay, Kelly, Kelly, Kelly, my fellow dirty heathen, we know that the Bible is not the inherent word of God and fill with so many holes.
Speaker 3: Hell and I don't know that.
Speaker 1: Okay, fine, okay, But it's filled with so many holes it wouldn't hold a thimblefol of water. But why do you think that West Virginia is even trying to codify the Bible as the almas authority of human behavior. I would love to hear your opinion on this, because it is a trip.
Speaker 3: This is this is This is a way too, and I think I mentioned it earlier in the week. This is a way for the GOP to take attention away from the fact that they aren't solving society's problems. We're not we're not making we're not getting rid of poverty, we're not solving crime, we're not doing we're not solving inflation. They're doing none of the things that they said that they were going to do. So what they do instead is, well, hey, you know, the majority of our voters are Christians, so let's pass a Christian law to get them all back on our side, because as long as we keep doing that, they will keep voting for us, even if we don't solve any of their problems.
Speaker 1: But are they trying to do an argument for popular fallacy?
Speaker 2: You think?
Speaker 4: I don't.
Speaker 3: I don't know that that's what it is, like argument from argument, argumentum ad populum, Hold on a minute, toy bote, toy boat, toy vote. Okay, I don't know that that's what it is. But they're definitely using Christianity to get themselves votes when it looks like probably they can't stand on their record to get those votes. So that's fair that's fair.
Speaker 1: So, Tracy, you mentioned that you weren't you weren't brops from a religious So how did you feel about the Bible being accurate and not have any problems at all according to this particular stance.
Speaker 2: So I wasn't raised super religious, but I was raised Catholic. But I was, you know, a Christmas Eastern kind of Catholic. I wasn't the You know what I'm gonna tell you is this. It's It's patently absurd. It is simply patently absurd. When you look in the book, you can find certain statements. If you check those statements against reality, you find that those statements do not hold up against reality. If I don't know what definition of true we're using, but mine is that which comports with reality, and the book doesn't comport with reality. So this, this statement is just a flat out lie. It is simply untrue, and they know it is untrue. If you look, America isn't a land where kings exist. If you vote to inaugurate Jesus this guy as the king of America, you have now voted for not having America anymore. If you vote to to heighten a certain religious text above all others. Okay, well, that's directly flies in the face of the First Amendment. You have now voted to not have America anymore. It's it's pretty flat out and simple. And either of these laws, either of these ideas, are just voting because you don't like America. You don't want America to exist, you want some sort of theocratic regime. You don't like America.
Speaker 1: But Tracy freedom, freedom, freedom from so Eli you you mentioned and you're like, you know certain things about the Bible, like love that namer and you know others, certain things that we could, you know, kind of agree on. But what was your kind of sticking point with this particular story?
Speaker 4: So, like, are there some things that are written in what we now recognize as the Bible that you can say aren't the worst advice? Sure, but that doesn't then lead logically to this book is completely and totally morally good in its entirety. And I don't know where they're getting this idea that that's the case. Like, yeah, like you said, love thy neighbor. Jesus is reported to have said that I think that's not bad, Like, okay, yeah, if your neighbor is a dick, like I'm not going to hold you to that, Like, don't you don't have to be super kind to your neighbor if your neighbor's a dick. Like I think there's different Like there's subjective morality, and there's different ways to look at different situations, and what is the most moral choice is going to be primarily subjective, not only to the circumstances, but to the individuals involved. So to as Tracy said, to name one religious code as the moral authority for all of a nation and not just that religious group is a direct violation of the establishment clause. And not only that, but I really really want to know where they're getting the idea that the Bible is morally good, because it's it's the construably not.
Speaker 1: I want to point it up too, this is this article was a Wild Time, which is a pagan you know news outlet. I'm as a foreign pagan. I would like to acknowledge my people, which has a is a religion that does not proselytize, It does not think that it should inject yourself into government. And I think that one of the wonderful things about this particular that it comes from my hunt that understands the difference between religion versus politics. And I think that we can have discussions even within religious institutions where we're talking about the establaged to clause and using like one book to say like this is the moral authority of but that everybody should be following. And I think those nuances are really really important. We're having this conversation because like, if you get your morals from the Bible, great, good for you. Great, I'm a question why. But even if you're fram of your morals within a religious context, as long as you're have compassionate kindness for your fellow human being, I'm not going to poopoo on you. But when you start saying like the Bible has to be the moral authority for us the rest of us dirty heathens and people that don't particularly follow that religion, whether you're atheist or not, I'm going to have some quibbles and I'm probably gonna throw my hands up and go, hold on, why are you saying this particular book has to be correct? So, Tracy, do you think the Bible should be the ultimate authority on morality? Obviously, I'm I I kind of already know your answer, But following that up, what do you think other states are going to follow suit? And what happens if we try to codify the Bible, Like are we going to go back to like stoning people on Sunday for working on the Stabbath? Like what is the actual outcome of us if we're going to actually say that this is the moral authority of how people should behave well.
Speaker 2: Helen uh in our over this week, I've heard Kelly. Kelly's really tamped me down a lot about my fears of people violating the Bill of Rights. He's really tamped me down good.
Speaker 3: And so what I'm gonna.
Speaker 2: Say is, I don't think it's gonna spread. I don't even think it's really gonna catch. I think it'll it'll get stopped. And if it doesn't get stopped, it'll go into Bill's status, and then somebody will appeal it. Somebody will say this is very clearly a violation of the establishment Clause and we need to get rid of it. What I'm gonna say here is that what you were talking about earlier about freedom and I and I just responded freedom too and freedom from and it's a very basic concept. If you move into a primarily Jewish neighborhood. You are still allowed to eat pork. If you move to Utah, which is primarily you know, the where the US, where the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter day Saints is. You do not need to revere the con man Joseph Smith. And if you and just because you live in America does not mean you need to revere an iron age, mytho, history, sex manual, and cookbook. It's that plain, flat out and simple. This is a country for all people, not just the group of people that some, not just the most populous. It's a group for everyone.
Speaker 3: That He's right, it is a It is a country for everybody. And I don't know where these guys are coming up with these crazy laws like this. It seems like every every time we turn around here on nonprofits, we're talking about another one of these crazy Christian nationalist laws that have been introduced somewhere, you know, trying to push this religious, let's face it, zelotry. You know, we got the Ten Commandment laws in Louisiana and Texas classrooms. We got mandatory teaching of the Bible and Oklahoma publicsouls. We got that Jesus is King of the USA or some other weird shit going out of North Dakota right now. And a lot of these bills just aren't really getting passed. They're getting put put in, but a lot of them aren't getting passed because the GOP leadership realizes that in the end this is not going to get them votes. There there's a small group of radical people within the GOP that thinks the entire country thinks the same way they do, and they need to be slapped out and shown that the country doesn't. And that's why we're seeing like this bill is just getting passed around in committees, so eventually it's going to die somewhere and these but the party leadership knows that these down ballot races are really hurting them with these with this kind of legislation. Sure, people are going to vote for the guy at the top because there's a cult of personality built around them, but as we've just seen in the last election, that is not always carrying down carrying through to the down ballot races, and a lot of the GOP leaders are afraid of that and they're trying to do something about it. But we're still going to have these freaking crazy Christian nationalists that keep putting these bills in boom boom boom.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And I think that's a really good point because you can put it through. But I don't think it's going to make people change their lives. I don't think that, Like even if you said that, if they said that, like you know, the Bible is the one hundred percent and inherent truth, like, it wouldn't change my opinion. It wouldn't change anything about how I lived my life. So why would they expect people to just cowtail and you know, automatically bow over to believe it.
Speaker 3: So I was just thinking, if the Bible is inherently true, I'm really glad I don't follow it right exactly.
Speaker 1: Yeah, thank goodness you know that I don't. So Eli, you mentioned some stuff about like, you know, an accrid historical record of an accrid historical record of humanist history, and you had some quibbles and I would love to hear your quibbles with this particular statement.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's a lot like you were kind of just saying, They're like you can't, like, are we just going to codify a new truth into law? And now, like, are we really at a point where there are people who believe that you can just make a law saying this thing is the truth now, and then that makes it actually true about the universe. And I don't think, similar to what Kelly was saying, I don't think that anybody, anybody in power, actually believes that there may be some people throughout. But like, but that aside, that's not my point. It's it's that I do think that this is a performative measure. This is let's propose this, let's get it shut down. It's going to get shut down, and we know that, so then later on we can be like, well, we tried to do this, and we try to do this, but those liberals stopped us. And now if you don't, if you don't reelect us, then there's there. You have no hope, well your last hope, you know, we need. So I think there's some element of that to it. But I also think that you can talk to almost any Christian about like the types of things they find moral and immoral, and there will come a point in which their opinion of what is morally good will diverge from what the Bible says, and you can point that out to them and you can say, look, you can tell like you, you agree that this is not a morally good thing, whereas it does say it is a morally good thing here in the Bible, or vice versa. You think this is not morally bad, but the Bible says that it is. So you know that you don't get your morality from the Bible. That is an example of you having some morality that is distinct from what God says. Yet you, like those people who have that opinion, will still insist that they get their morality from the Bible. And I don't understand what the benefit is of of knowing that this is not your source of information, but insisting that it is and insisting that you maintain with it. That's it's something that it's not a logical process that I can follow.
Speaker 2: Eli, it sounds like you just haven't read your Bible.
Speaker 4: Working on it.
Speaker 1: Also come from the end where you're a believer, so it makes sense and you.
Speaker 4: As an atheist, and then I will just decide to believe it and then read it again and.
Speaker 1: It will make perfect sense and everything all your ducks will line up, and that's how that works, especially your bed. So so should we be worried about like others?
Speaker 5: My my bigger tree duck is over there online Preusser. Let if I can't all scuse he's a special big a tree duck anyway, seeking of.
Speaker 1: Bigotry and also the Bible possibly being codified, should be worried about other states that are following student or should we kind of take Kelly's attitude of that, like, yeah, you might codify it, but at the end of the day, are we really going to follow it? Tracy, what's your thought on that?
Speaker 2: Even if they codify it, as they've said, as my two co hosts and you have reiterated, it does not matter if the law says something is true. If it isn't true, then the law is wrong. It's that flat out and simple. The laws don't change that which is true. Reality determines that which is true. So if they pass it, fine, it seems like a performative measure. I agree with Eli. Even if they do pass it, it's gonna get knocked down by somebody at some point because it's just blatantly wrong. And also again our constitution. So there's no sane reality where this stays and is actually observed. There's no sane reality where that happened.
Speaker 1: Kelly, do you want to elaborate more on what you were saying before about like you know, how this is just like smoke and mirrors and just like something we shouldn't really be concerned about.
Speaker 3: I don't know that we shouldn't be concerned about it, right, I think I think we should. I think we should be concerned about it. I don't think in the long run, it's going to be a huge problem problem. Like I brought up in one of the earlier segments this week, all the porn laws that were passed in the nineteen eighty anti porn laws that were passed in the eighties that are on gone now. They're all gone because we couldn't figure out what porn was, right, I think there was was it a US representative senator or a senator that I don't remember who it was that said, you know porn when you see it? And that was it. How do you talk about a law no porn when you see it? And that's that's you're kind of in that same situation. How do you know sin when you see it? And and so how do we codify what sin is? How do we codify with what religion what religion is? We just can't do it. You know, we just can't. So I don't think we're gonna hopefully, we will see all of these laws eventually get struck down. They may even get through some of the local courts, they may even get through state courts, but I don't think in the long run they're going to be They're going to hold up in federal courts. And I want to point out that we not only have a conservative majority on the Supreme Court, but we have a Catholic majority on the Supreme Court as well, and a lot of these Protestant evangelical zalet Ze laws are not going to get past that Catholic majority. I really don't think they will.
Speaker 1: So, so Eli, you know, piggyback off of what is being said, what is your kind of perspective about like why you know the GOP in certain states are trying to push these last fours forward, oh my god, forward?
Speaker 3: And what is your.
Speaker 1: Should we like, I know that we should be concerned and something we should fight against, but do you, as Kelly said, do you think it's going to hold any water? And what for the rest of us that are concerned about these things, like what are the type of things that we should be looking at for and the type of stuff that we should be kind of pushing against when it comes to, you know, potentially living in our theocracy, maybe question mark.
Speaker 4: I think that, like as you know, not to be a dead horse. But like we've said, making a law, saying something is true doesn't make it so. However, it does make it punishable to say that it is not so, so it does make it punishable to say no, gender is not binary, and also gender is not the same as sex, and that's also not binary. It does make it punishable to in some contexts to say otherwise. So I think whether it is for smoke and mirrors, whether it is performative, or it is for like true effect that they think they want to achieve, I think we should be loud. I think we should you know, not just count on it to get struck down in the Supreme Court. Because even if I'm not sure that I have that I know enough to either agree or disagree with Kelly, So I'll just have to kind of defer to you. But I think if I did hold the opinion that it's very likely to get struck down in the Supreme Court, I would still recommend being loud, because, like I mentioned earlier in the week, our silence can be used as a weapon against us. But also it's important to not allow the perception that things like this are acceptable, that advocating for laws and policies like this could have the potential to come into effect. Like, we shouldn't allow that perception at all.
Speaker 3: Right, I was going to say that it's important to stand up so that people ten years from now aren't having the same fucking conversation we're having right now today.
Speaker 4: And asking us where the hell were you guys?
Speaker 3: Right exactly exactly, So, if.
Speaker 1: You do not want to be evil and semi and do nothing and learn how you can help out and also get more information, please do the thing where you subscribe to nonprofits, click on a video, learn more about down there or on the sides or whatever. Also as well like and subscribe and leave comments. We love all that stuff and we will see you all next time. Goodbye, everybody,