Speaker 1: Music often comes from a very deep and personal place. People express emotions, dreams, and pain from their lives, frequently drawing upon experiences that bring their lyrics and performances to life. Robert Camu tried to do just that one evening when at an open mic, he freestyle wrapped something that would drop the jaws of those around him. His song wasn't about struggles, though, or life lessons. Robert instead chose to rap about killing and burying his girlfriend, Amanda Custer, who was a missing person. My name is Ben, I'm.
Speaker 2: Nicole, and you're listening to Wicked and.
Speaker 1: Grim, a true crime podcast.
Speaker 2: The following.
Speaker 1: Material intended for a mature audience. Listener discuss.
Speaker 2: That was like a little bit piercing into the ears.
Speaker 1: The smell just immediately hit my nose and oh my god, it smells good. Oh and it tastes good too. So good. How's it going everyone? Thank you for coming back once again. You guys are incredible as always. I didn't make any notes of anything we have to talk about prior to Do you have anything you want to discuss?
Speaker 2: Oh boy, we're waiting it.
Speaker 1: We're winging it today. Apparently I can start by thanking our patrons, because I mean, they're pretty awesome, So let's do that. We had a couple of amazing people sign up for a Patreon this week. If you want to get the exclusive content, you can do the same thing. Link is down below. So those that did sign up this week, we have Alex Homie, Lucy Elliott, Marine, Curtin, Christy J. Lawson. You guys are incredible. Thanks so much for supporting us.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's freaking awesome.
Speaker 1: It is means a lot. They get that extra content, the extra episode at the end of the month, and they even just recommended a case to us that I am doing a deep dive into here. Just ordered a book that I'm going to do a read on. So yes, that case is coming up in the in a few weeks when I get all that research done.
Speaker 2: That's awesome.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it is awesome. I just I'm sitting right beside our stove here in the tiny home, and it is still really really warm because I just made a bunch.
Speaker 2: Of it's hard. You know when I say that it's fucking hot.
Speaker 1: Well, I think it's like twenty five celsius in here right now, which is absurd. Ye, so we might be sweating through this podcast just saying that. But yeah, I'm sitting right next to the stove. But yeah, bread, it'll be delicious. It's going to make for an awesome breakfast the night.
Speaker 2: Mm hmm. I actually think I want to learn. I'm ready to learn to make sour though, are you. Yeah. I don't know why I've taken up my sweet time, but I'm ready.
Speaker 1: Okay, Well, I will take you on as my apprentice. Welcome to the dark side.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, I'm honestly most interested. I feel like in using the discard for other things.
Speaker 1: You can do a lot with discard. Yeah, so, which I never do, And once in a while I'll do like I call them discard pancakes.
Speaker 2: Pancakes for the chickens.
Speaker 1: Yes, I just fra up the discard in a pan and just give it to the chickens, which we you can add a little salt or cheese and scallions on top, and yeah, got yourself a little little breakfast thing going too.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't know. I like Pinterest, and I see a lot of shit you can do with discards.
Speaker 1: Well, let's uh discard all these pre topics and get to the case, shall we.
Speaker 2: Wow, that was smooth. Was it that was terrible?
Speaker 1: Okay? I thought it was pretty puney myself.
Speaker 2: Oh boy, it just gets worse.
Speaker 1: It always gets worse with this show. Let's let's just be honest, okay. So today we're doing a case one that's been on my list for a little while. It is a relatively more recent event. It has occurred in twenty nineteen. It involves a woman by the name of Amanda Kathleen Custer and her boyfriend, Robert.
Speaker 2: Camou right before the world changed.
Speaker 1: Yeah, right on the cusp of that good old COVID. Yeah, so yeah, you ready for this one?
Speaker 2: I am. Let's do her.
Speaker 1: Okay. Well, today we are covering the story of the missing woman, like I said, named Amanda Kathleen Custer. There isn't a whole lot of coverage out there on this case, which is a shame to say the least, and to make matters worse, when you do look up her story online, you'll find much more information regarding her boyfriend. Usually her is the one responsible for what happened to her. So that's unfortunate, some bullshit it is. And like, we are firm believers in trying to tell the victim story whenever we can more often than not. So that's exactly what I'm going to be trying to do here with the little information that I do have. So while we tell her story, we're going to be talking about the perpetrator as well. But keep that in mind. This is Amanda's story, and if you can help provide any information in recovering Amanda, please contact authorities. Okay, laying that out there right now, because she still is missing right now.
Speaker 2: Oh shit, Yes, that was like the way that you went to vote. That was kind of I don't know, fuck with me for some reason. I don't know why. I just wasn't expecting that expecting it.
Speaker 1: Okay, Well, I really wanted to lay this home. She is a current missing person.
Speaker 2: Dang Okay, okay, okay.
Speaker 1: So Amanda was born on April twenty eighth, nineteen eighty eight, same month and year's my birthday. So she from Bakersfield but was living in Monrovia, California. Now, I don't know much about the kind of person that Amanda was, and I don't want to create false images while talking about her either, But what I do know is that she was a person who's trying to do her best and better herself now. The available public posts on her Facebook profile don't tell us very much, but there are two pictures in particular that do stand out to me, and they're ones of her standing next to a young boy who would presumes her son. They seem very very lovingly together, and in the comments on one of those photos, Amanda had written this as a comment quote, he is an Idaho with my parents now, but I'm not giving up. He is in good hands and I'm thankful for that. I'm going to get it right and be the best for him so I can give him the best life he deserves. That was my last visit with him before they left. Okay, so she is I mean, it seems to me a struggling mother who just wanted nothing more to better herself so she could provide better for her son. Yeah, assuming that is her son. I mean, it's pretty obvious it is, but it doesn't actually explicitly say so. I just don't want to say one hundred percent, you know what I mean.
Speaker 2: So that makes this even harder though, the fact that she was a parent, you know, a mom.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And I mean I think again, judging by what little information we do have, she seems like she's being a single parent, so I don't think the father is in the picture. Otherwise, why wouldn't he have the child as well rather than like you know, right, So, her parents looking after her son, don't know where the dad is, and she is just looking forward to when she is capable of having him back with her. Yep. So now. Her Facebook page also shows that she was pursuing further education by studying at Lyle's College of Beauty. She also posted another picture that showed a book that was given to her by her parents, and the book was called The Rock, the Bible for Making Right Choices.
Speaker 2: Hmm. Wow, that's quite a title, right, I haven't heard of that book.
Speaker 1: It's one that I think I might want to look up and give it a read, if I'm.
Speaker 2: Being honest, I mean, I don't think it could hurt anyone.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but to Shae to sche we can all use little bit of guidance for making the right choices from time to time. And again, just hammering that home she was trying to better herself. I don't know if there's much more proof that would need to really prove that seeking further education. She's got a book on it, and she's made a post about what she wants to achieve goals for her son.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, well, I mean also with that book. Decisions are hard.
Speaker 1: Oh, they definitely are hard.
Speaker 2: Making decisions sometimes, like being an adult kind of sucks.
Speaker 1: Sometimes, well, especially when those decisions are not just going to impact you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you have someone who's.
Speaker 1: Relying on you, and your decisions are going to impact down that line. Right, So it's definitely a big part in everyone's life, and even more so potentially when you are a parent, especially to a young child. So apart from that, Amanda's personal life has been kept well just that personal right. She was, however, in a relationship dating an individual kind of on and off for at least about two years, and that's according to Lieutenant Scott Hogland of the La County Sheriff's Department, and according to him, their relationship wasn't exactly a good and healthy one. According to a press statement he made, he said, quote, there have been numerous domestic violence incidences between them, which is not good.
Speaker 2: No, I freaking hate that. That's terrible.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And the individual she was involved with was a man by the name of Robert Camu.
Speaker 2: Robert Camu Camu.
Speaker 1: Camo c Amou. I'm pretty sure it's Camu, But either way, I don't really care about Well, yeah, name correctly either so I think.
Speaker 2: He's he's not the fan or we're not a fan him.
Speaker 1: No, we definitely are not a fan of Robert now. According to Robert's Facebook page, Robert attended the State University in Los Angeles, where he studied communications. His page seems to be a rather boastful one, where he posts often about his achievements or praises that he's gained, such as he worked as a quote wildland firefighter at the United States Forest Service. His LinkedIn page states that he is an quote aspiring project manager seeking employments to gain the hourly experience for the PMI PMP, which is a project professional test, and also reads quote, I have high standards of excellence and am a hard working, dedicated individual with a commitment to self improvement through using my skills to actualize my talents. I love life and I'm looking forward to the future. In various locations, he has written that he.
Speaker 2: So.
Speaker 1: In various locations, he's written multiple different things. He's written that he was an intern for the campus newspaper, underwent police and fire agility training, made the Dean's List and was awarded into scholarship for teacher preparation and urban learning. He was on a forensics and debate team at a city college in Los Angeles, Los Angeles, Los Angeles. I've heard it pronounced like that before, Los Angeles. Some people do like that. It's okay, don't don't at me.
Speaker 2: I do.
Speaker 1: I heard that little huff under your breath. It was there.
Speaker 2: Is that what he did?
Speaker 1: He had listed five different colleges that he had claimed to have attended, studying everything from forestry to business administration. He claims to have competed, completed sorry high school early, and to top it all off with a nice little cherry to it, he also claimed to be a professional sponsored skateboarder.
Speaker 2: Holy shit. Yeah, that's a lot.
Speaker 1: That's a lot of accolades for sure.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And now, to be fair, this might all be very true. It might be true. I do not know. There is no evidence out there to either support or refute these claims. They simply just come right off what he claims to be on social media. But I mean, after all, no one ever lies or embellishes things on social media, not at all, not like you can. If it's on the internet, you can believe it.
Speaker 2: It's a fact, definitely.
Speaker 1: So he is, without a doubt in my mind, a professional skateboarder for sure.
Speaker 2: You know, it's interesting though, I've never really thought about this, but yeah, you could put whatever the shit you wanted on LinkedIn, couldn't you.
Speaker 1: Yeah you can, huh. But to be fair, if you get a job from LinkedIn, Like, if you get a job and they're like looking at your LinkedIn profile, that's no different than lying in a resume, Like you're gonna get screwed over. You're probably gonna lose the job.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but I mean also like, if you're relying on shit like that, I mean I think you could probably get away with it. But if there might be.
Speaker 1: Legal ramifications to that too.
Speaker 2: True, So yeah, true, don't line in your LinkedIn. Yeah, don't do it. Don't do it. I'm just like exploring the possibility.
Speaker 1: Nicole's out here just giving tips and tricks on how to get your next job.
Speaker 2: No, not at all, Okay, well for yourself, there don't Well, yeah, you work.
Speaker 1: A lot more trustless than that. But anyways, yeah, we don't know because that all that stuff might be true. But anyways, regardless the relationship between him and Amanda, it was a rough one. A neighbor, actually a neighbor by the name of Hosey Ellis, said he had seen them arguing before, but it was nothing they found particularly concerning, and then he never really had any indication that Robert was capable of assaulting or hurting Amanda. Right, there's no real reason to make a report be concerned for anyone's safety. But clearly there was a side to it that neither he or anyone was able to see, because something dark was looming ahead. Now, the first incident between the two that involved maybe we'll say physical harm, it was an incident that took place on April twenty second, in twenty and nineteen, which is yeah, that's COVID time, like right then.
Speaker 2: And there, Well, the next year more so, isn't it.
Speaker 1: I'm pretty sure it's twenty nineteen. When I start twenty twenty, I thought it was spring of twenty nineteen.
Speaker 2: It started, well, I think it started in twenty nineteen for some people, but I think it was the twenty twenty, wasn't it.
Speaker 1: I'm almost certain it was April of twenty nineteen.
Speaker 2: I don't know I could be wrong, and it's the other the next year.
Speaker 1: Someone out there right now is yelling at us. Nineteen or twenty, it's one of those years. But regardless, both Amanda and Robert they were arguing between one another. It was a domestic dispute, and things began escalating more past beyond just a dispute. It began to get to the point where Robert allegedly tried to strangle Amanda in their home, and then he also began threatening to attack her with a taser.
Speaker 2: Oh that's fucking scary.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no shit, oh man. So Amanda was clearly afraid for her own safety and well being, so she managed to escape their home and ran. So she ran to the neighbor's house nearby to try and seek safety with someone else, someone who might be able to, you know, houser, call for help or even help defend her, whatever the case. So she ran to this neighbor and Robert he didn't like this. He didn't like her running away, whether it was leaving the house, leaving a getting away from him. He went after her, and he went right after into the neighbor's house as well.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh, yes, so.
Speaker 1: An elderly man led Amanda inside, and Robert chased right past him into his home to get to Amanda. Now, the man tried to intervene and help Amanda, but he himself ended up being battered by Robert in the process.
Speaker 2: Yes, it's brutal.
Speaker 1: Yes, So Robert ended up I don't know to what extent the terminology that was being used in articles and information that I was reading from was quote battered, so to the degree I do not know, But he beat up an old man.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's fucking brutal. Like this man was just trying to help.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and Robert just runs into his home and just doesn't care. Yeah, not a single fuck given.
Speaker 2: Like he was just in the way of what he was trying to do. Yeah, brutal.
Speaker 1: So Now, as a result of this incident, Robert was thankfully arrested and charged with four felony counts, including burglary and assault and battery. And this was on May twenty ninth. Now, Amanda had filed a restraining order against Robert. She feared for her safety. She didn't want anything else to happen, so the restraining order. The document contained some writings directly from her, Some quotes said I'm going to read, and she had written on this document, quote he has made over one hundred phone numbers to verbally bash me. It went on to describe another time when Robert had once quote turned around, came running at my window and broke my double pane window with the hatchet.
Speaker 2: Oh gosh.
Speaker 1: He also quote took the hatchet and smashed the side mirrors off my grandmother's car. Yeah, so where he was already finding him because of this, He was already finding himself facing misdemeanor charges foresaid incident, which of course he was pleading not guilty for. So that had occurred, he was finding himself facing these charges. Now this incident where he's trying to strangle her, threatening to tase her, running into this old man's home after her, he's now also facing the charges from that on top.
Speaker 2: That's so scary, I know.
Speaker 1: Now as a whole Robert had filed a counter restraining order.
Speaker 2: And oh my gosh, and.
Speaker 1: Amanda's grandmother had also filed a.
Speaker 2: Restraining order against who Robert against Robert, yes, because he had like smashed her h shit, and she was fearing for her safety and her granddaughter's safety like lots.
Speaker 1: So it was this triangle of restraining orders. Now, I'm not too certain exactly which way this played. I read two different ways that Amanda did get her restraining order and the other two did not get theirs. And I also read that no restraining orders went through. Okay, so either no one got them or Amanda did.
Speaker 2: Well, what the hell is Robert putting in a restraining order? I don't know, just to be a dick probably Okay, Well.
Speaker 1: If she's doing it, I'm doing I'm gonna claim she's the fucking crazy one, like you know, like that sort of shit. But I mean they already have the incident where he's already facing charges like, and now here's a second one. And I'm assuming she's got some sort of proof to back some of the shit up. I mean, she has a witness, she has her.
Speaker 2: Grandma, well, and she has that older man.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the older man now too, So there's witnesses. But there's always another side that people might not see.
Speaker 2: That's true.
Speaker 1: Just devil's advocate here, I'm saying right now, I believe Manda, not Robert, But just say, what about what happened in their home before Amanda ran to the neighbors? That could be where Robert's being like, yeah, but she did some shit then, probably making it up. But anyways, now it would only be a couple months later, on on July twenty ninth, twenty nineteen, when Robert was led out of prison on bail. You're shaking your head.
Speaker 2: Well, that is no time. No, it's not that is no time whatsoever.
Speaker 1: But since he was led out on bail, he was required to wear an ankle monitor.
Speaker 2: Though, Okay, cool, what the hell is that going to do.
Speaker 1: So they know where he is and stuff? Right, Okay, Now it would be that very same day, the same day that Robert was led out of jail, on July twenty ninth, twenty nineteen, that Amanda Custer would last be seen alive.
Speaker 2: Oh god, wow.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Well, I mean that whole time that he was in jail, the two months or whatever the hell it was, he was probably just you know, plotting some serious avenge or something.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, he was sitting on it. He was thinking the whole time, and the moment he had the opportunity he struck.
Speaker 2: Gosh, I'm surprised that it was such a little amount of time.
Speaker 1: Well, like I think like he hadn't gone to court for the charges. Yet he had only been held he was being charged, and he hadn't been tried, so he has not, you know, being charged with it. It's just you know, he's out on bail in the meantime. So yeah. Now, Amanda was last seen at around eight fifteen AM at her home in the six hundred block of Vaquero Road. I believe that's how you pronounce it in Marnovia, California. What happened again isn't clear, but a neighbor reported seeing her boyfriend Robert at the home and he was seen dragging something out of the home and placing it into the trunk of his gray twenty seventeen Toyota Prius.
Speaker 2: Holy shit.
Speaker 1: The person made a report. They called the police, and they reported for potential domestic violence, and they said it looked like it could have been a body that Robert was stuffing into the trunk of his car.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh, Ay, Okay, I feel you said boyfriend, But I'm assuming at that time was probably ex boyfriend.
Speaker 1: Well, I mean I assume, I assume, but I also am like, have they a fish? Like I don't. It's been so long since I've dated.
Speaker 2: We've been married for like how long, like a million years?
Speaker 1: Yeah, so I don't like when do you, like, do you can have to have a consensual breakup to be x or is it just like, oh he's in jail, he's my ex and like I don't know, I don't know semantics.
Speaker 2: On dating, I don't know. But also a fucking Prius like that is the most shocking a vehicle, Like I just I just have was just say something about that. A Prius, A Prius.
Speaker 1: Yes, there's nothing wrong with a Prius, but I get you. It's just like this like murderer shoving a body into a Prius. It's like that's an odd picture because usually people drive a Prius for like you know, environmental benefits or like the gas mileage. Yeah yeah, but I'm going to bury a body, so I need a Prius. It's got a good trunk space.
Speaker 2: I wasn't expecting it to be a Prius.
Speaker 1: Fair enough, fair enough anyways, So this I really get over that. The neighbor made the report for the site that they just saw, and the police quickly arrived at the home. However, by this time Robert had already left. The next step was, of course, though, to do a welfare check. So they entered the home to see if Amanda was okay. They knocked, no answer. They entered and they called her name again, no answer. As they made the way through the home, it became clear to authorities that this welfare was turning into something much more. Amanda was nowhere in sight, but it was very clear some sort of struggle had occurred inside and there was evidence of blood as well. They speculated that Robert had taken Amanda away unconscious and against her will. So the reason why I think they speculated that they took her, that he took her away unconscious, was because of the amount of blood found inside. There wasn't a whole lot. It wasn't like there's like pools of blood streaks on the wall like that sort of stuff. I think they had found like a few drops of blood here and there, sort of thing. Okay, like maybe someone was struck over the head and knocked out and yeah, drug outside.
Speaker 2: You can like kill someone without a lot of being present.
Speaker 1: You definitely can.
Speaker 2: You like strangled her or something.
Speaker 1: You definitely can. But I think the lack of blood, I'm presuming is why they assume she was unconscious.
Speaker 2: Okay, I wonder if she knew that he was getting out on that day.
Speaker 1: I honestly doubt it. I really do. Potentially, if she did actually have a restraining order put in place, there could be a potential that she might have been contacted by authorities, maybe his parole officer or whatever it is, or I don't know if it's parole if you're on bail, but you know what I mean, she might have been contacted by someone. But I think it would probably have been only if that restraining order was something that went through.
Speaker 2: Well then either way too, like she probably wouldn't have expected that he would just you know, get out and instantly be at her house.
Speaker 1: Yeah, right, kid, Which like this was, like I said, eight fifteen in the morning when she was last seen, oh man.
Speaker 2: Like getting ready for work kind of thing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And I'm going to be talking about some time here again a little bit like we're we're not too far away from fifteen right now, Like it's very early still that he was there and this all went down. But before we get to that other time I was talking about, there's another piece of information I do want to discuss.
Speaker 2: Robert was wearing an monitor, right, okay, right.
Speaker 1: So he still had this on, and authorities were able to go ahead and start quickly tracking him down. Unfortunately, the readings were not the most accurate of readings, and I mean he was He ended up being outside of the city a bit. He was sixteen miles outside of the city into an area in between Mount Baldy and Little Creek. So he's kind of out in this remote area. They don't really have the best signal and the reading oh but did.
Speaker 2: They also were able to tell that he was at the house too.
Speaker 1: Well, I mean someone reported and saw him. Yeah, but I think like they were like trying to track where is he right now? Yeah, and they were able to determine that, yes, he was out in this area somewhere.
Speaker 2: But a large area kind of thing.
Speaker 1: Very large area.
Speaker 2: But also he just doesn't give a shit. Then I forgot that he had this frickin' break this ankle thing on.
Speaker 1: Yeah, not a single fuck is given here clearly.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 1: So shortly thereafter, when he was done in this area, they were able to find that he had then driven to town. They found footage on security cameras where they knew he had gone through and had been He had stopped at a Del Taco at a shell gas station where he bought cigarettes. There were a few other camera locations that he was captured on as well, all of which showed him and no sign of Amanda anywhere. And not long after that, at around nine thirty am, so he had already gone out of town into this remote location, come back, and around nine thirty am he removed the ankle bracelet and dumped it.
Speaker 2: Oh gosh, Okay, what the fuck's the point of an ankle bracelet? It's clearly not working on him whatsoever.
Speaker 1: Well, I don't think it's like we need to track him down where he is, like immediately right now. I think it's more so like, let's look back and where have you been? Like I think I'm assuming, I.
Speaker 2: Guess, but I mean, it's not working on this dude at all.
Speaker 1: Touche. But by the time I'm pretty sure by the time he had already dumped it is when authorities were already tracking like where he had been too, right so, because it's going to take some time to look up and process and everything. So now Robert was officially by this time a wanted man, and police were making statements to the public asking for help and his whereabouts. If you see him. Give us a call. Here's what he looks like. He's twenty seven years old. He looks like a complete douchebag. Call us if you see that he's driving a Prius. He looks like a born.
Speaker 2: Gosh, that is like probably one of the worst descriptions ever, because I feel like I see numerous people like that daily. Am I allowed to say that?
Speaker 1: No, it's fair, it's fair?
Speaker 2: Oh man?
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay. So thankfully, it wouldn't be too long before police were actually able to find Robert. They would only be about well, there would be about a small window from where where he actually removed the ankle monitor to where he would actually be seen. Next this time, not only was he reported to be seen, but he was actually recorded on video. So the very same day that Amanda went missing, very same day where he was out on bail, the very same day where police are trying to track him down, he's a wanted man. Robert made his way to a bar called King Eddie Saloon. He was there for the evening. I'm just trying to have a good time here. He was enjoying his night and having you know, just fun, enjoying what was an open mic event with some local rappers performing, so it was like an open mic freestyle event, right, Okay, everyone's having a good time. The rappers are up there on the mics, you know, taking their turn, and there is this video that is being taken and is currently available online. You can go watch it if you'd like, where two rappers appear to be kind of like facing off each other a bit, going back and forth. A few people are standing around, and Robert is one of those people. At one point in the video, the mic seems to be getting passed back and forth between more than just the two people. You know, it's like whoever kind of wants to take it, whoever's gonna grab it, And Robert decides he wants to take a try at the mic, wants to throw something down. First off, it's horrible, his rhyme, his flow, all of it fucking terrible. He should never have ever had a mic in his hand, and it's just the worst. But worst of all are the lyrics that he came up with on the fly. His short rap verse went I'm not gonna wrap it, I'm just gonna say it, but it went as such, right here, I'm gangster in this house. I fucking cut the EMP off my fucking leg and then I'm out, motherfucker, you don't even know I'm on the fucking news. I killed my bitch and buried that bitch in the fucking dirt.
Speaker 2: Holy shit.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's about the same face that everyone else in the room had when he fucking started saying that. Now he had one more line that he did say. It's a little bit harder to discern something about the police are after him and he needs to like not talk or something like that. I know, as he just fucking says everything, wow, but like someone's like kind of like trying to take the microme like casually, and so it's like kind of hard to discern what he's really saying. But I was just like, this is this guy's a fucking idiot?
Speaker 2: Is he drunk out of his mind?
Speaker 1: He might be drunk then, I'm not certain. But like I said, you can see everyone just same shock that you just had in your face. Everyone's just like what the fuck did he just say? Like what? Yeah, like trying to like process this.
Speaker 2: So shocking, so awkward, so fucked up. Yeah, So like what do I do now?
Speaker 1: Yep? So the man who shot the video, Michael Moore later did an interview and said quote. At first, I was like, did he say that? He said that? And he said it was he said it with such force. I think that everyone in the bar that hurt him kind of stopped. Time just stopped, and there were some hardcore wrappers in there and they stopped.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no one really knew what to do, how to take it in And the video was quickly posted on social media, where authorities were notified and soon came asking questions with Michael at the bar who recorded it, and all this sort of stuff. But even before they were able to talk with anyone, because I mean, hey, this is late at night, gets posted by the time they got there, bar is probably closed down, right, So before they were able to talk with anyone in the morning, police just so happened to cross paths with Robert.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh, this guy, I mean, he's getting what's coming to him?
Speaker 1: Oh is he?
Speaker 2: Welly well, actually no, he should never even been out of jail. Like this is one of those things where you gotta serious regret or like, look at some shit for someone like this to be out.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you're right, seriously, but that's not how it played out unfortunately. No, we're gonna talk about how it played out though, okay with going forward in this case. So here we go. So police early in the hours on July thirtieth, which is the very next day after Manda went missing, at approximately two forty five am, so real early in the morning. Yeah, LA police officers on patrol located Robert's twenty seventeen gray Toyota.
Speaker 2: Prius, his fucking prius, his.
Speaker 1: Fucking prius, parked on Hill and Second Street in downtown LA. The police approached the car and lo and behold inside was Robert sleeping?
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, he probably doesn't have anywhere to.
Speaker 1: Go, probably not, so his Prius is now his home on the street here. They woke him up and they tried to talk to him, but rather than a conversation or anything of the like, what happened instead was a five hour long standoff with Robert inside of the vehicle. He was not compliant, He refused to exit, and I'm sure they feared that he could drive away in a chase that could pose danger to the public, so they quickly did their best to ensure that he couldn't do that by bringing in the SWAT team to barricade him in.
Speaker 2: Wow, yeah, this is like this guy is causing some serious freaking commotion.
Speaker 1: Oh is he? Ever? So still, though they got the swat team, he's barricaded. He can't go anywhere. Still, As the hours ticked by, they could not get him to cooperate. So finally, at around seven to forty five am, authorities decided they were going to make him leave the vehicle, not by force though. They didn't want to open the door go in, like what if he has a knife or something he could shift someone. That's not the way they wanted to play this. What they ended up doing is they pumped a chemical agent into his I'm assuming something along the lines of like tear gas to force him out. And that's exactly what happened. He quickly came out of that car real fast once that was being pumped inside, and he was quickly apprehended, seeked. They sought him medical tension for the chemicals. Now, so after a little bit of medical attention, then boom, he is in jail with this time no possibility of bail.
Speaker 2: Okay, but like, what do they even have on him? Really?
Speaker 1: Well, his vehicle was searched and inside detectives found blood that was a match to Amanda in the trunk. Okay, now, they also found reportedly a tarp and what was described as only a quote digging tool, which I presume is a shovel. But again, one of those terms that I could not find of complete definition, digging tool is the same term that was used over and over and over again.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 1: Robert refused to say anything to investigators in regards to Amanda's whereaboats, and he just continued to maintain his innocence even in the face of the overwhelming evidence that they had, like, for example, a wrapping video where he describes killing and burying the missing woman.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean that is quite a bit, but I guess it's always harder if they didn't find like if they don't find the body, right, touche.
Speaker 1: So. In the following September, Robert was officially charged with capital murder, which means, if convicted, he could face up to life in prison or even the death penalty. From here, unfortunately, the information on the case is very few and far between. I presume that much of the evidence against Robert is being held for his trial, which means they're not really making it public. Hence things like quote digging tool are the tombs that are being used. So I do think that they are hiding as much evidence as they can in preparation. Yeah, in preparation for court. Most of the articles and updates I could find were from twenty nineteen, the year that this actually occurred. But I did find one document from February of twenty twenty three, a document directly from the Court of California where a request for review of Robert was denied by the court. So it is still an ongoing case. He is indeed currently behind bars awaiting trial. Good Unfortunately, as we discussed before in other cases on the show, and as you just mentioned a moment ago, it is very hard to convict someone of murder without a body to prove said person is indeed murdered.
Speaker 2: So, and I'm imagining too that I mean, they had a general I don't know exactly like how big of the scope of the area, but idea of where he went, and I'm assuming they probably searched the shit out of it.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, they've been searching the shit out of it, I'm sure. But the thing is, I can't imagine how many hectares it would be that this is because he drove off sixteen miles. I'm not sure which direction it was from the city specifically, but he drove off towards where there's like a couple of different mountain ranges with like he's over here somewhere, So I'm pretty sure like the radius you're probably looking at, like at least a ten mile radius or something like that.
Speaker 2: How at least probably Yeah, how do you.
Speaker 1: Find a fucking grave in a remote ten mile radius of the wilderness? You can't luck that night.
Speaker 2: I mean, I also feel like this guy doesn't seem like he's the sharpest knife in the drawer.
Speaker 1: No, I don't think so.
Speaker 2: So, like, I don't know, I can't envision him walking in there.
Speaker 1: Too far, but touche well, especially considering his time frame, because he was back right the town already ditched his ankle monitor by ninety thirty, so he didn't spend too long out there burying her, which also speaks to me that her grave is probably pretty shallow.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so, I mean I could see it getting found one day.
Speaker 1: Hey, I am on that same page. I mean, honestly, maybe all we really need is a really good fucking like monsoon downpour rain on top of where he potentially buried her to uncover her.
Speaker 2: Yeah, which would be I mean, just devastating. But it's also nice for families and stuff to get closure, right then, Yes.
Speaker 1: Like closure is unknown, Closure isn't everything, but closure is something for.
Speaker 2: Sure because it very much so sounds like she is no longer alive, you know, most probably, which is awful.
Speaker 1: So Robert is currently planning on entering a plea deal. Yeah sorry, not not a plea deal, entering a plea of not guilty, my apologies. So he is planning on going into court saying he is not guilty, which means he claims he did not kill Amanda and is not providing any information on where he may have buried her remains. As of right now, Amanda Kathleen Custer is currently still missing and unless Robert comes clean, as we just talked about, she may never be found.
Speaker 2: Wow. Fucking Robert, fucking.
Speaker 1: Robert and his fucking prius.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no shit. The visual I was like having trouble sometimes focusing because all I could see was this prius and all this shit going down around it and stuff. Yeah, very interesting.
Speaker 1: So that is the current story of Amanda Custer. I could not find a date on when his trial is set. To me, it does not sound like there is a date set, but with the review request denied by the Court of California, I would presume that we are looking at within a year or two. I'm hoping it sounds like it's like, no, they're wanting to get this moving on. So hopefully that is the case, and hopefully the evidence that is being collected, that is being withheld is enough to prove what really happened, and then if Robert did in fact do this, that he pays the fucking price.
Speaker 2: M yeah, it's too bad. I mean, gosh, yeah, he's I don't envision him saying anything so.
Speaker 1: Well, he already said it all though that well no.
Speaker 2: But I mean, like where the body is or anything, right, Like he's just keeping his mouth shut now at this point.
Speaker 1: Well, who knows, because with something like that, maybe there will be a plea deal offered, because they're like, hey, if you show us where she's buried, we can enter a plea deal of like you know, a half sentence or it was an act, Like we'll pretend like it was an accident sort of thing and you won't have like be charged with capital murder or something. Maybe it'll be, like hate to say it, something low is like manslaughter or something like that. But yeah, depending what's offered, it's a possibility. We've seen stuff a little like before.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Wow, poor Amanda.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I feel for her. Yeah. Like I said, at the very beginning, she was only wanting to do better for herself. Yeah, and then this asshole drug her down.
Speaker 2: Robert's another name, like Carl, A that just seems like shitty.
Speaker 1: I have no problem with anyone named Robert, with anyone named Carl, but it just seems like there's there's there's a pattern, there's certain names.
Speaker 2: I feel like that if you're you're having a baby and you're thinking about naming your kid, just like, don't name them that douche, just because I feel like there's names on here that come up more often than not. Sometimes I like bad people, but not saying if your name is that that you'll be a bad person. No.
Speaker 1: I think if anyone out they're listening right now, if your name is Robert, just be one of the good Roberts. Please just do it.
Speaker 2: There's going to be more good Roberts than that.
Speaker 1: Oh, there definitely will be. But you need to overshadow this asshole.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this guy's nasty.
Speaker 1: Yeah. No, I fully believe that Roberts can can out what's the word outdo his negativity with positivity.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I also feel like we were a tape terrible advertisement for Prius.
Speaker 1: I fully said, there's nothing wrong with the fucking Prius, it's just the situation that's painted here. Yeah, because like Priuses are also known for the trunk space and it's all like, hey, oh man, you can fit fit a lot in there.
Speaker 2: It looks like the camera just turned off. It's done with us.
Speaker 1: Oh I didn't replace the battery, okay, forgot to do that. So anyways, this is the end of the episode. Thank you for being here. We really appreciate all of you supporting us NonStop. If you want to give a show a rating, if you haven't yet, we really appreciate that, go ahead and give us a five star, four, three, whatever you feel is appropriate. I might recommend five, Would you recommend five? I sure would yay high five for five stars. Ooh uh yeah. So we got a lot of stuff coming down the pipe here soon. Like I said, I'm gonna be doing deep dive on a good old Patreon case here that well a Patreon requested case.
Speaker 2: Okay. I was like, that's gonna be on Patriot.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's a Patreon requested case. So it will be a public case for here. It'll be a good deep dive. And I'm excited for doing that one. Yeah yeah, yeah.
Speaker 2: Well well done on this. This is this is something I need to get out there.
Speaker 1: It's one. It was a case that I came across a couple of months ago and I'm like, I really want to cover it. So and I'm glad I did. Yeah, Amanda's name needs to get out there.
Speaker 2: It does.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So anyways, thanks for being here. All the links are down below. You guys are amazing, and until next time, stay wicked.