Speaker 1: Here is your tail night first one weather forecast got sunny skies a day, a possible shower or storm showing up out there at some point.
Speaker 2: Today eighty six will be the high.
Speaker 1: Overnight will of seventy with clear skies ninety The high to Mars also be humid with isolated rain in the afternoon, a slim possibility overnight clear skies seventy one and muggy. And on Saturday they say there's a decent chance of rain. Ninety one will be the high. It's seventy three. Right now, It's time for traffic.
Speaker 3: Update from the U SEE Health Traffic Center. You See Health has expert traumacare focusing on prevention and treating injuries and supporting long term recovery and rehabilitation. Lee mort you seehealth dot com. Traffic is still stop and go approaching an accident on seventy five south end at Fort Washington Way. The two right lanes are blocked. You're slow seventy five southbound between Western Avenue and Fort Washington Way, and we do have delays on I four seventy one northbound Grand Avenue to I seventy one. I'm Heather Pasco on fifty five KR see the talk station.
Speaker 2: Hey thirty two fifty five car City talk Station.
Speaker 1: Love this time of day and week because of it to have iHeart MEATIA aviation expert Jay Ratlif Jonas for a few segments to talk about aviation issues and while there are a ton of things to talk about. As always, Welcome back, my friend, Jay ratl If. It's good to have you on the show.
Speaker 4: Very pleasant, Good morning, my friend.
Speaker 2: Uh the new term I learned.
Speaker 1: You know, I always look for aviation news before you come on, although you do have enough topics to fill up all the time this morning, Isle Louse, yep, you know who that is.
Speaker 4: You go ahead.
Speaker 1: It is one of those people who, as soon as the plane lands and is taxing, jumps up out of the seat and runs to the front of the plane so they can be the first off even if they're way behind. Unlike the normal way we all deeboard the plane, which is the people up front go out first and we gradually follow suit behind them as our aisle shows up.
Speaker 2: Ale Louse, well.
Speaker 5: We've talked about we've talked about date life, the people that try to be bored early. So we'd love giving people unofficially this didn't come for me kind of term. And yeah, I've seen people in the rear.
Speaker 4: Of the aircraft that literally will knock people over. Yeah.
Speaker 5: Yeah, they're trying to get thrown of the airplane. Now, I understand sometimes at the flight's late, and sometimes the flight attendant say, look, we've got people. Here was a nine minute connection, let's try to give them a head start. But I also recognize that we're in position to control a lot of that. And if I've got a tight connection in Atlanta or Dallas or Chicago, the last thing I'm going to do is sit in row thirty one.
Speaker 4: It's not going to happen. If I can, I'm.
Speaker 5: Going to get an exit row, or we get those Cherry al fly with the Delta non refundable first class.
Speaker 4: Tickets, we'll be up front.
Speaker 5: Yeah, so I'm going to get as close to that forward door as I can, because there's a ten minute lag between the time that door opens and the last person comes off the airplane, sometimes more than that, and on a tight connection, you need every minute you can get. But yeah, the more people do that, you know, shooting up the aisle, the more that people just kind of stand up and get out of or getting their way, not to be mean, but simply to say, let's just wait your turn, because you've got other people that have tight connections as well. But for some strange reason, Brian, it's all about me and I don't care what other people think of me, And sadly some people think I'm never going to see these people again, so if I act like a horse's ass in front of them, it's no big deal.
Speaker 1: Right, societal breakdown. Let's see. Well, at the risk of running over a little bit. I don't know how much attention we have to dive on into it, but I did see the announcement. I think most of my listeners did that. The TSA has announced that they're not going to require you to remove your shoes, so you're probably going to get to your gate a little bit earlier now without that headache.
Speaker 5: Well, your feet are going to be cleaner because you want it to walk across that dirty floor to put your shoes back on, which is always especially in the summer, with people wearing sandals, flip flops, different kinds of things as well, those floors can be fill see it.
Speaker 4: I was glad to see it. We've been doing it for twenty years.
Speaker 5: But Brian, remember we did that because the old magnetometers had a dead spot at the bottom and the very top, so that if somebody kind of shuffled their feet through and they had something in their shoes, it wouldn't pick it up like.
Speaker 2: The shoe bomber guy.
Speaker 4: That's it.
Speaker 5: So the thought was, but you know, our technology has gotten better, and they're saying, look, there's really no reason need to do it, although they can always pull us out and do random or secondary screening where they may ask for our shoes to come off, and they'll continue to do that randomly. But yeah, this is going to speed things up quite a bit. And yeah, I think it was. It was the right move.
Speaker 1: Fair enough, We'll bring Jay Ratliff back talk aback some other topics, got some interesting ones on the list this morning. It's eight thirty five right now, fifty five k se DE talk station. On the forecast, sunny day to day, maybe some isolated showers of storms later eighty six will be the high clear over night, seventy tomorrow high on ninety with a slight chance of isolated rain in the afternoon, very humid tomorrow, seventy one overnight and also muggy clear skuys and Saturday. A decent chance for rain is what they're saying, but also saying ninety one will be the high seventy three.
Speaker 2: Now traffic time.
Speaker 3: From the UC Health Traffic Center. U see Health has expert traumacare focusing on prevention and treating injuries and supporting long term recovery and rehabilitation. Learn more at you seehealth at dot com. We have a new accident on your two seventy five East ramp to seventy five South. The left lane is blocked. You're still stopping go because of an accident seventy five South out at Fort Washington Way. The two right lanes are blocked. I'm Heather Pasco on fifty five KRC the talk station.
Speaker 2: Have you ever been in the cockpit before?
Speaker 1: And Jay has Jay ray Leff, I heard me the aviation expert diving through the topics. I had a special request Jay the current status and I don't think they've released the report TODAYVID. Have you heard any updates on Air India Flight one seventy one. They just sort of took off and then just crashed right away.
Speaker 5: We've not and normally we have a briefing by now, but it's a little bit tardy. Apparently the report is out there and we should be updated anytime. So still kind of wait to see what that preliminary report is going to indicate, and of course some of that will reflect some of the initial data gleaned off the two black boxes, yeah, voice recorder and the flight data recorder, and that's going to be very very interesting to see what we find out from there and kind of get an idea of the direction that the investigation could be taking. So yeah, nothing yet, but very anxious and I'm hoping obviously long before we talk again, we'll have some of those details if you need me before Thursday.
Speaker 1: Always asks, oh, that's wonderful, very kind of you to offer, and that may very well happen. All right, moving forward, and these things do take time. I appreciate that they're not hasty to release any conclusions before they have something to hang their hat on, or at least to reach a reasonable conclusion.
Speaker 2: So over to British airways.
Speaker 1: One of the reasons I hate air travel is the idea that I'm sitting on a plane on the tarmac and it's not moving. It drives me crazy. Jay It's like, I'm stuck. Why aren't we going somewhere? There's no way I could maintain my composure without a healthy dose of some kind of pharmaceutical in a seven hour delay under that circumstance. What's the story on this British Airway thing?
Speaker 5: First of all, do you still do you have that same feeling when you're on the interstate going nowhere in the high speed lane?
Speaker 1: You're just yeah, but that usually only kicks in if I really have to use the restroom.
Speaker 5: Well, you know, the good news is you could have used the restroom on this British Airways flight. They were going from London over to or the UK over to Poland.
Speaker 4: And what happened.
Speaker 5: They boarded everybody, they're getting ready to leave, and they had a fuse in the flight deck that controlled the air conditioning.
Speaker 4: They kicked out. Uh oh, they had to call them mechanics. That's okay, it's an easy fix.
Speaker 5: And they wanted to replace the fuse so they could get the air conditioning system back up and running. So they waited a bit, got up there, replaced the fuse. It tripped again. So they're thinking, okay, now you've got a full plane of passengers. Yeah, it could take forty five minutes to an hour to board. So the obvious thought is based on previous issues with this exact same component. It's a pretty easy fix, so you would never get everybody off the plane, fix it and then wait an hour to get everybody back on the plane before we could take off. The best approach is to go ahead and keep everybody on board so that you can get this fixed and.
Speaker 4: Immediately you can roll and take off.
Speaker 5: But the problem is you have to have a point at which you say enough is enough. So they kept trying and trying and trying to fix this issue, and you're right, they were on the plane for seven hours. They finally had to call in the fire department who came on board to treat some of the people that were passing out, and they said, look, the fumes in the cabin are toxic. Get everybody off this airplane now. So the seven hour nightmare didn't end because British Airways finally made the call.
Speaker 4: It's because the.
Speaker 5: Fire department got on board and said get everybody off of this airplane now. I mean seven hours of going nowhere.
Speaker 1: No, okay, So they're on a plane with no air conditioning. Yep, this whole time, and.
Speaker 5: I don't know they had no air conditioning or it was subdued air conditioning okay, not working at full capacity. I don't know, but in the middle of the summer, let's hope they had something.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I would like to think, adding you know, further to a night already nightmare situation, being stuck in an air airplane on the tarmac for that long. But you said the air quality was in there was dangerous to the fire department. Is that the amount of carbon dioxide that.
Speaker 2: I mean was it? Was it along those lines or was there some kind of fumes in there?
Speaker 5: It was fumes that the air end of the cabin is a bleed off that comes out off the engines. It's it's part of the components of the aircraft. Where as you're flying, the fresh air is driven into the cabin through the engines. So that's how they keep things cool, recycled air. It's really it's really a super fascinating process as it's working. The problem is if you're not flying and you're sitting and you're idling, things change. And what was happening You were starting to have a build up of some of these fumes that were coming from the Canada now, and that's what was being raised ever so slightly at a time that for the for the fire department who walk into it, boom, it hits them in the face, versus somebody that's sitting there may be accustomed to.
Speaker 4: What was going on.
Speaker 5: But you know, that's why here in the United States there are significant fines from the Department of Transportation if a US carrier or another carrier brings passengers into the US and they are trapped on an airplane for up to three hours, because after that point in time, what's going to happen is they're going to be fined significantly for every passenger that's on board that aircraft. Now some of that was born, of course, out of the nightmare we had at Northwest Airlines back in the late nineties when there was a thunderstorm that should have closed the Detroit airport.
Speaker 4: They did not.
Speaker 5: That's not Northwest, that's the airport, and yet all these planes land and then all of a sudden, this blizzard thing comes through and you got airplanes stuck everywhere, and you had airplanes out there for nine ten eleven hours on the airplane trying to make it back to the terminal, simply too dangerous to taxi. And you know, they just kind of got snowed in everywhere. And that's when a little bit later they said, look, we've got to do something about this, and they did, and they've got some good rules in place.
Speaker 1: I guess good things can come from tragic events. Let's pause, bring Jay back about a lightning strike and a fire suppression system plus a battery fire. We've talked about the potential for that. Well one happened. Then we'll get a final close with hub Delays. One more with Jay ratlif It's eight forty five right now, fifty five K see talk station this story one more time with the Chenne nine weather forecast. Sunny skies today, a few isolated showers and storms are possible. We'll reach eighty six for the high, down to seventy overnight with clear skies ninety to hide. Tomorrow. They'll be humid and I'll have a slight chance of isolator rain in the afternoon.
Speaker 2: It'll be clear every night. It'd be muggy as well.
Speaker 1: Seventy one for the woe and Saturday going on, boy at the ninety one and a decent chance of reign their predicting closing out at seventy four time for final traffic chuck.
Speaker 3: Thatwas from the u SEE Health Traffic Center. You See Health has expert traumacare focusing on prevention, treating injuries, and supporting long term recovery and rehabilitation. Learn more at u sehealth dot com. It is stop and go because of a crash on I seventy five southbound at Fort Washington Way. The two right lanes are blocked. There's an accident on your two seventy five east ramp to seventy five south there the left lane is blocked and we do have stop and go traffic. Seventy five South found hoppled Fort Washington Way. I'm Heather Pasco on fifty five KR see the talk station.
Speaker 1: Hey, forty nine fifty five KRCD talk station finishing up with Jay Rattler. If I heard me the aviation expert. You hear them on pretty much all the iHeart stations. He's busy all week to an aviation reports and God bless him for spending this extra time with us on the fifty five krc Morning Show. Got a lightning strike issue, little fire suppression foam off at Spirit Airlines hangar. What's this one all about.
Speaker 5: Jay Spearit can't buy a break. I'm telling you if their life depended on it. They've got a rather large and impressive maintenance facility of Detroit. They spent it was thirty two million dollars. They built around twenty seventeen as one hundred and twenty six thousand square feet. It's where they work on their aircraft and things. But it contains a very aggressive fire suppression system. Well, we had a lightning storm this week that triggered that fire suppression system. There wasn't a fire, but it thought there was and that's when the foam was let go and Brian, it went everywhere, Oh no, partially partially burying. Five planes had to be taken out of service for inspection. Actually started to ooze out onto the tarmac. It looked like snow as it kind of oozed out of the hangar. It was everywhere, and some of this is a bit corrosive. So it's not the kind of thing you just, you know, chive the kids in and say go play. So what happens is you've got this massive cleanup and then you have to inspect the airplanes that were there. I think they took three or four of them out of service just to make sure that nothing ADYONICX wise was compromised with that particular situation.
Speaker 4: But you know, I'm sure.
Speaker 5: They test that fire suppression system every so often. I don't think quite to this extent, but if you get the chance, you can google the image on Spirit Airlines and the hangar and you'll see exactly what we're talking about.
Speaker 4: It was everywhere, oh.
Speaker 1: And talking about a costly cleanup in addition to the delays and everything that went along with that. Jeez, Luiz, I can only imagine, you know.
Speaker 5: Hopefully they can, yes, Spiarson trying to turn things around, and I don't think that picture is going to make it to their company calendar for next year.
Speaker 4: But they've got insurance for stuff.
Speaker 2: I just got to say that you're right that definitely.
Speaker 5: As long as nobody got hurt, you know, we we can look at it and kind of gawk.
Speaker 1: Yeah, except for their self insured retention, which I'm sure is rather substantial when you're talking about a big company like that. All right, moving over to a battery fire. You and I have talked about this before. The what lithium ion battery in the case, was it or some other battery that was it?
Speaker 4: Blah blah blah blah blah. Here we go again.
Speaker 5: We had a Federal aviation a Federal Aviation Administration, excuse me, they're investigating a battery fire. It was a Delta Airlines seven to fifty seven. It was flying from Atlanta to Fort Lauderdale. During the course of the flight, one of the batteries started to overheat. So what we had to have to do is the flight attendants go from flight attendants.
Speaker 4: To fire fighters.
Speaker 5: They have the fire expression bags, the procedures, they're able to quickly contain it. But as the cabin was being filled with smoke, so you've got the flight crew that in the meantime is declaring an emergency landing in Fort Myers. And this is again just another of the brazilion examples we've had around the world of these things overheating representing a very real safety hazard to commercial aviation, and that's one of the reasons that the Federal Aviation Administration has banned the Samsun Galaxy seven.
Speaker 4: I think we talked about the phone, yes, Sir, and.
Speaker 5: Brian I suspect there's going to be more. There's no way that we can continue to allow these types of real risks on board airplanes where it takes us fifteen or twenty minutes to land that airplane in an emergency because there's no way to put a fire out. That's one of the reasons if one of these devices gets stuck in a seat, you see panic on the flight right, because they know if it starts to catch on fire, they don't have a protocol. They can't extinguish something that big. That's why the aircraft will immediately declare an emergency and they'll get that airplane on the ground fast because they're worried about it starting to smolder, catching on fire, and their inability to contain it and then providing a huge safety issue on board that airplane. So do we wait for an accident before we take a bigger step or are we going to do something now? It's going to be up to the FA to see what they want to do.
Speaker 1: But well, goodness, yeah, a logical and reasonable solution. And you and I have talked a little bit about this before, but it seems that okay, there is such a thing as a fire suppression bag, and I know, they make these small path you know, like already cage pouches that people put their cell phones in to prevent you know, anybody from tracking them or whatever. If you can have a fire suppression bag and have the passengers obligated to keep their phones in that bag or have that right there with them to the extent they have to get it out and use it for any particular reason, it would negate to a large extent the larger problems like fumes filling up the cabin and maybe a bigger fire happening.
Speaker 2: It just would cost money.
Speaker 4: Yep.
Speaker 5: Well, you also are going to recognize there's no way on God's green earth that you're going to pry those cell phones out of people's hands. They're going to have them the entire time, and they're going to not keep them in any sort of a bag, and they're not going to follow the instructions.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 5: That is that's how people are. It's like take my kids, but you know, let me keep my phone. That's how precious these things are an individual. So yeah, the idea of trying to eliminate them from every flight, it's not something we can do practically because that's just not going to happen, but we've got to do something because you can look at an aircraft. There's pictures I forget the International carrier that had one of these battery fires that got out of control. They were at the gate Brian. It burned off the entire top of the aircraft news. There's a video that's some kids going through an airport with a phone in his backpack and it catches on fire and within seconds the entire backpack is on fire. These things burned hot, they burn quick, and they are dangerous, and it's something that you know when you're talking about safety and aviation. It's one of the biggest concerns we have right now. That's why Southwest Airlines says, if you're going to charge your battery, you have to do it where you can see it. Don't have it charging in an overhead bin that might catch on fire, smolder, and we don't know about it until it's a bigger issue. You're seeing different airlines take different positions to try to combat it to.
Speaker 4: One degree or another.
Speaker 5: But all we're doing is taking half steps to the measure and a lot more has got to be done.
Speaker 4: And yeah, every week you and I are talking.
Speaker 2: About this crazy all right.
Speaker 1: As we always then conclude with delays, how's it looking out there for air travel?
Speaker 2: Jay?
Speaker 5: Yeah, people heading to the airport connecting in Minneapolis, New York, Atlanta, Charlotte. Those forest hubs are certainly going to give you a delay. But I think Boston's the clear problem.
Speaker 4: Child of the day.
Speaker 5: Lots of weather win limited visibilities, and some of those flight delays are going to be excessive through Boston. But if you went through to the South or anywhere out west, I should be in pretty good shape, unless, of course, your planes being routed through one of these cities before it reaches you. But as always, get to the airport extra early two hours beforehand. At waifers any problems, the agents have an opportunity to take care of you.
Speaker 2: Think advance, take care of yourself.
Speaker 1: Nobody else else out looking for your best interest more than you are. Jay Ratliff, Thanks for all the sound advice, stage wisdom, and interesting conversation every week beginning at eight thirty on Thursdays. I'm looking forward to next Thursday already. My friend is always best to health and love to you in your better half.
Speaker 4: Appreciate it, sir, Thank you.
Speaker 2: Thank you.
Speaker 1: Eight fifty six fifty five KR City Talk station Citizen watchdog Todd Zenzer Boy just never ending list of question marks and concerns about what the City of Cincinnati's leadership is doing to the residents of the City of Cincinnati. Quite a few topics with Todd Zenzer. Citizen Watchdog Aaron Winer. He's a member of the Clifton community groups and he was talking about the street takeover that happened over Independence Day weekend on Sunday. Real problem there and it's been an ongoing issue. He's also running for Cincinnati City Council as a charter right. He had good He's got some good things on his website. Will encourage you, as I did during the conversation to check out what he has to say. Refreshing, perhaps alternative. Plus our conversation there with Jay Rattler fifty five care Sea dot Com for that. Thanks as always Joe Strekker for the great lineup, but hope you can tune in tomorrow for the very important segment we do every Friday at six point thirty Tech Friday with Dave Hatter. Folks have a wonderful day, stick around Lundbeck's coming right up.
Speaker 5: President Trump made clear that a peaceful resolution was possible if a Ran agreed to give up its nuclear weapons ambitions.
Speaker 1: Another updates at the top of the hour fifty five care he talks