Speaker 1: Hello, it is Ryan, and we could all use an extra bright spot in our day, couldn't we just to make up for things like sitting in traffic, doing the dishes, counting or steps, you know, all the mundane stuff. That is why I'm such a big fan of Chumba Casino. Chumpbuck Casino has all your favorite social casino style games you can play for free, anytime anywhere with daily bonuses. That's you brighten your day alone, actually a lot. So sign up now at chumbuck Casino dot com. That's Chumbuck Casino dot com.
Speaker 2: Nopers necessary Daloid where everybody lost he terms and conditions eighteen.
Speaker 3: Plus Judy was boring Hello, then Judy discovered Chumbucasino dot com.
Speaker 4: It's my little escape.
Speaker 3: Now Judy's the life of the party.
Speaker 4: Oh baby mama is bringing home the bacon.
Speaker 3: WHOA, Take it easy, Judy. Jump the Chumba life is for everybody. So go to Chumpacasino dot com and play over one hundred casino style games. Join today and play for free for your chance to redeem some serious prices. Jump Chumpacasino dot com Noprid's necessary point. We're promited to my eighteen plus terms and conditioned to plus.
Speaker 4: What's loop to Radio.
Speaker 5: You are now listening to True Murder, The most shocking killers in true crime history and the authors that have written about them Gasey, Bundy, Dahmer, The Nightstalker DTK. Every week another fascinating author talking about the most shocking and infamous killers in true crime history. True Murder with your host journalist and author Dan Zufanski.
Speaker 6: Good Evening. In April eighteen ninety three, John Marshall, an immigrant and successful farmer on Summus Prairie in British Columbia, was found dead lying sprawled across the verandah of his farmhouse. The face was a mess, his nose smashed in and cracked, blood covering his forehead around a jagged black hole. The shocked neighbor who discovered the body rushed to summon the authorities. An autopsy, coroner's inquest, and murder investigation followed. Two days later, a handyman named Albert Strobel was arrested for Marshall's murder. Strubble was an unlikely killer. Short and physically disabled, The young man the community knew was not capable of murder, and locals were shocked to imagine that Strobel could have killed the man who had treated him like family, but something had gone tragically wrong on the night Marshal died. Unraveling the mystery would take nine months and two lengthy trials that seized the attention on both sides of the Canadian American border, splitting them into pro and anti Strobo factions. Newspapers devoted page after page of coverage and throngs of spectators squeezed into the courtroom galleries. The first trial in New Westminster ended with the jury hopelessly deadlocked. The second in Victoria found him guilty and set an impending date for his execution. The heaviest, heaviest hitters of b c's political and legal established establishment took part, including former and current premiers, an Attorney General, and a future Supreme Court justice. When the second trial ended with a guilty verdict and death sentence, many in the public hold in protest, convinced that a young man had been condemned to die for a crime he did not commit, and the dramatic events would not stop there. With the condemned man sitting on death row, the case would take more twists and turns that would lead Albert Strobel to the Shadow of the Gallows. The book that were featuring this evening is The Trials of Albert Strobel, Love, Murder and Justice at the End of the Frontier with my special guest author, Chad Rhymer. Welcome to the programme and thank you very much for this interview.
Speaker 7: Chad Ryme, Well, thank you for having me on.
Speaker 6: Man, Thank you very much. It's a very fascinating case, very very interesting when we set it in the timeframe of the eighteen nineties in Canada on the along the Canada US border. Tell us a little bit about the Summus Prairie of British Columbia. Set the stage for a little bit of the history of this area and just where this geographically is on this Canadian American border. Tell us where this is.
Speaker 4: Right today. It's actually there's a town called Huntington which is south of Abbotsford, British Columbia, and both of those are about a forty five minute drive east of Vancouver, British Columbia. And you come down out of Vancouver and you come off Arise in the Fraser Valley and you go down onto this this prairie, Seumass prairie, and it's the event that took place right right along just as you come down onto the bottom of the prairie back and right now at Huntington's it's a border crossing. Huntington is the Canadian side of the border crossing, and then Seumas City is the American side, and a railroad, a couple of railroads go straight north south, connecting missions across the Fraser River to the north and then going south into the United States. In the eighteen nineties, that prairie was very, very lightly settled. It's actually quite remarkable how recent, how recent it was that there were so few people around on the prairie, you know, so few white settlers, and of course the native people's had been set it pushed aside, dispossessed of the land, and pushed onto reserve lands. In the Sumass Prairie, the dominating feature on the prairie to the east was was a wide lake, a lake that spanned from one side of the prairie along Seumass Mountain to the other side of the prairie along Better Mountain about four miles or six kilometers across, and then about six miles nine kilometers long. That was called Seumass Lake that was there at the time. It was drained in the nineteen twenties, So that was a dominating feature. Dominating feature to to you know, the one side and then the other side is this sharp escarpment that that came down from from the west. That's where the edge of the last ice they h went. And the events that that were happening that that we talked about happened on the western edge of that prairie. And just after two years after the Canadian Pacific Railway had built a spur line from Mission which is on the north side of the Fraser Valley straight they built a bridge and then straight down south to hook up with the Northern Pacific Railway that came across in in Washington State. And the railway itself kind of sparked a bit of a boom, and then the boom kind of faded after a little while, but it mostly developed the Sumas City on the American side. And so the Sumas City was the town that that even all the Canadians on the north of the board they would go if they needed the doctor, if they wanted to go shopping, they would go into Sumas City because there was no other real town around the habits heard what didn't marriage as a real town for quite a while. Chiliac was across Sumass Lake. So these people the Sumas Prairie, it was, you know, their life was more north south, and they went across the line as if the line didn't exist kind of thing. And actually from any white settlers, about half of them were actually Americans, so they thought, well, we don't have to recognize this line at all. So and the geography topography was actually it was a mixture. It was on the very edge of rich grasslands which were produced because Sumass Lake grew every year with a fla and then and then went away, and they produced these these grasslands. And on the grasslands he had the sheet they cattle and dairy cattle, beef cattle. By the time you get closer to where the railroad was and where all these events take place, it was more marshy and boggy and bush and in bushy and and so it was very, very difficult to make it a go of farming. And so the farmer like a victim. We John Marshall, you know, he was one of the most successful, actually, but it was still you know, a hard slog for him. And you also had, you know, like every frontier, you had the population. The white population was very recent, and he had people coming and going on with time. And Marshall had been there for ten years and he was an old timer. And the men then the young man arrested for his his his murder. Albert Strobel, he also had had been there, you know, almost ten years. His family had come and he had bounced back and forth across the border. It lived most mostly on the BC side. His family lost their property and then he had hit a year or two before. He had moved back into the American side, the Sumas City side. But like I say, every day people were walking up and down and there was no good road, so they used the railroad to walk up and down, going you know, from Sumas Prairie and Canadian side to sum Mass City. And you know the events of the book that you know, you're constantly moving back across up and down that railway line, and it kind of, you know, it becomes a character in itself in the in the in the in the book that that line itself, it's connecting directly connects Albert Strobel's hotel that he's staying in to John Marshall's property which has a gate right at the railway yard railway uh bed that you know, you'd go off and go into his property. But that's kind of the economic and uh and the physical setting for for the events.
Speaker 6: Now, tell us about the relationship between Albert and this Portuguese immigrant which had difficulty, you know, had a thick accident, and so tell us about this unlikely friendship and what that friendship entailed.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 4: Yes, they actually were quite well. I don't know if close would be a good good term for it, but Strobo was one of the most frequent visitors to to John Marshall's place. He would come up and he would he would come up and help with the with the chores in the house. He would help with some of the chores around the farmyard as well. They were both kind of outsiders in amongst the Sumass Prairie community. Marshall because he was Portuguese and there was very strong racism at the time for you know, Southern Europeans and Portuguese in particular. He actually came from the Azora's Islands off of Portugal, so his accident would have been more stronger, more regional Portuguese. He was known as the old man and the old man that was killed, and yet he actually was only about thirty eight or thirty nine, and it's kind of like he the descriptions of him, you get the sense, well, this is kind of like an exotic guy. You know, we don't really know much about him, and but you know, so we can describe them the way we want. And then Strobo was an outsider, partly because of his family, I mean his he came from a broken family. His mother had died a couple of couple of years, but a few years before the events, he had a half dozen siblings that were still with him. His father kind of lost it after his mother died. He was a veteran of the Civil War, and he was a German immigrant himself had come to Illinois and that's where Strobo was born, and the family had come to out West in the eighteen eighties. And his father was very restless. He didn't stay at any one particular thing. He was continually going off, leaving the kids to take care of themselves. He had a problem with alcohol, as invariably so many did, because it was well as you could buy very strong alcohol back then unregulated, and he really disappeared by the time these events took place, and so his family was poor.
Speaker 2: Not wait the Lucky Landslips. You can get lucky just about anywhere.
Speaker 8: This's your captain speaking. We've got clear runway and the weather's five. But we're just going to circle up here a while and get lucky. No, no, nothing like that. It's just these cash prizes add up quick. So I suggest you sit back, keep your trade table up right, and start getting lucky pay for.
Speaker 2: Free at Lucky landslipes dot com. Are you feeling lucky? Just necessary voidwerre prohibited by Law eighteen plus terms and conditions applying to the website for details.
Speaker 4: That there weren't other poor families, but it was poor, and it was parentless, and the kids were just trying to hold it together and struggle. Himself was a bit of an odd ball. He of course, physically he had he had a deformity of his right right leg that that twisted it and then twisted his his foot in some some form the the Obviously he wouldn't have been going to a doctor, a specialist to get a diagnosis, but he had been told it was an inflammation of his his bone, and so that that left him quite it left him disabled. And of course at that time it's like, oh, that's a that's a that that kind of defined him, right. And he was, you know, not not a big fellow to begin with, and so he was short and with his leg even shorter, and he he was you know what nowadays might be called deveout mentally challenged or certainly emotionally challenged. He was. He was always referred to as the boy, even though by the time and the murder, by the time of the murder, he was twenty years old, and at that time in that frontier society, you know, a man at twenty years old is a man. You know, you're out of your family, you're making your own family and so forth. But he was seen as the boy, and in part because he just you know, he was clever enough in some things, but he wasn't quite there in others. And also, you know, emotionally he was kind of he was, you know, behind is behind the times with his age and so forth, and so they were both outsiders. They kind of, you know, for for Struggle, he didn't have a real home, and for for for Marshall, he didn't have a family around, so they kind of, you know, it was kind of like a you know, an uncle and a nephew type relationship that they they they developed and and they seemed to like each other quite you know, as much, not that they guy to know each other well, but that they liked each other's company.
Speaker 7: So right, yeah, now, now tell us tell us about the relationship. You talked about this delayed emotional and development. What they called him, just the boy, but he had recently been in a relationship his uh, his landlord was Margaret Bartlett, so he rented a room from her. But she had three daughter and one of them was Elizabeth, was twelve years old. Tell us about this recent love affair and if it was approved or condoned by Margaret. Tell us about this relationship and what it meant to help her.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Elizabeth was the I guess she was the third oldest of the Bartlet daughters and there were eight Bartlet children and Margaret was the mother. Elizabeth was known to be People around believed her to be fourteen years old, and government records show though that she's definitely twelve. And yes, the two of them did develop a relationship. At first, the mother Margaret wasn't crazy about it. The father in the situation, Charles Bartlett, was kind of once again. He was another father who was kind of out of the picture, not physically, but he, you know, was another guy who just tried numerous things and nothing seemed to stick. He actually lived north of the line in chilat and You for a good while and ran a hotel that burned down. He forgot to get the insurance, so they were left with nothing. And so Margaret Bartlett moved the whole family south of the line and she bought the hotel. So she was very much in charge. He didn't stay at home very often. He passed out in the bar and slept in the bar whereever he was. So and she did eventually come around to the you know, in the midst of the trials and the testimony, she did come around. Both Elizabeth and Albert claimed that they were engaged. They were officially engaged, and they said they had been talking about the mother. The mother said, well, maybe I don't think they were officially engaged, but they were, you know, related, they were in a relationship, and you know, Elizabeth should said well, if at one point if the murder hadn't ha happened by they would have been married, right. And I do address this and I said, oh, she's twelve years old and they get married. And the answer is in law, yes they can. The marriage of laws for Washington State where the marriage age was eighteen for a woman twenty one for a man. Now that only applied if the parents of the daughter getting married protested, you know, if they said, well, no, we don't give her approval for to get married. If they don't protest, then there is There was no there was no other age limit for getting married. And the fact that she was thought to be fourteen was significant because Margaret Bartlett got married at fourteen, the mother of Jay of the David Airly, who is this little budding sociopath that was Albert Strobel's co defendant in the First Child. She was fourteen when she got married. Both of them, both the Barlett and Margaret and Airly's mother were fifteen when they had their first children. And Theodore Davy, who was the premier at the time, and he was one of the most impressive minds that BC had produced at the time, he married the girl that was fourteen back in the eighteen seventies and she died. So it wasn't unusual on the frontier for girls at fourteen to be married. So nobody really raised as I say they thought. And the family kind of didn't protest about Elizabeth being thought out as fourteen, right, and Margaret didn't say anything. And from their perspective, you know, Margaret, you know, daughters were useful. These families were big. Boys were useful on the farm, and daughters were useful in the house and raising the kids. And when they didn't become useful, they wanted to marry the daughters off because they became, you know, dependent. So marrying daughters off at fourteen or fifteen isn't a bad a bad thing if you have other daughters to help around the house. Switch to barlets did. So this was not as unusual as you would think it would be.
Speaker 6: Sure, let's talk about as somebody talking about marriage, and they talked about an engagement, and so the mother knew, the father knew, but at the time he had no job prospects. He had talked about some money that he had, but it was complicated. He said he had money in a bank and New Westminster. I'll have you explain that briefly, we don't get too far into that, but the idea that he had no prospects for jobs, but he had approached a couple guys, a couple of barbers, because his idea was that he would like to be a barber someday open a shop. So he did approach a couple of people. But how serious was he an approach with the first one with the apprenticeship and then the second one. What did he say in terms of trying to secure the barber shop business from this gentleman named Carpenter tell us a litt little bit about his prospects about being a barber.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think he was completely serious about being a barber, and it was one of his, you know, more realistic plans. He knew, you know, being a barber was a bit easier on his leg. Of course, you know, working behind a pow in a field isn't the easiest thing to do when you you you know, you have to you're regular walking, you have to use the king. Now, he he did physical work, of course, because they had to didn't have any it didn't have much of any school training, and so being a barber would have been a good thing for him. And the only problem is, of course, you know, barber's come and go. I mean the two that he approached. One the first fellow, he gave his horse too. It was the only asset that that Albert owned was his horse. He gave him the horse to take him on as an apprentice. That guy's shop burned down and he left. So then Carpenter opened a barbershop. And Strobo said, okay, I'll buy the barbershop from you with everything in it, and I'll also buy some some household you know, things maybe a sofa, chairs, that sort of thing for you know, And and Carpenter said, well, the affing price is two hundred and fifty dollars, and Strobo said, well that's fine. I have five hundred dollars in the bank, and you know I'll be able to pay you. Now, these talks apparently like according to Carpenter, he's the dodgy character. According to Carpenter, the talks have been going on for a right up until the day that Marshall that Strobo was arrested, and that Margaret Bartlett and Elizabeth Bartlett knew about these talks, knew about these plans. So from the sound of it, this kind of was the plan that that Strobo was going to to get the money to buy Carpenter's barbershop. That would set him up and that would you know, be the basis for you know, him being able to support it getting married to Elizabeth. So Margaret kind of knew about this, uh and and you know that that would have been the plan. The only thing was Strobell had no money. He said he had the five hundred in the bank, but and he probably kind of believed it. But through some really dodgy real estate stuff that his older brother, Albert's older brother having it involved been involved in, his older brother then kind of passed on means heavily mortgaged property to him Albert, and so Albert thought he had these properties. I don't think he was aware that there was there was a full mortgage on them, and he signed. He ends up the bank comes and asks them for the money. He ends up signing the property over, and then in his mind, he signs the property over but gets no money, and so he thinks the bank stole his money. So that's what he was thinking about, Yes, I have the money. So that's kind of the picture where he just kind of doesn't get the big picture struggle, doesn't he doesn't understand that well, actually those properties weren't anything because there was a huge mortgage. Now, of course his older brother probably, you know, if he did tell him about the mortgages, he had to have known that struggle. Albert wouldn't have understood very well what was going on. So his older brother certainly shares some of the blame here, as does the bank and Suma City, who I'm sure it's agent like Albert for quite a good ride on this whole thing. So the money wasn't there. They thought it was, I think, And the plan was there, and it wasn't a bad plan, but the money just wasn't there.
Speaker 2: With Lucky Landslots, you can get lucky just about anywhere.
Speaker 5: Really, beloved, we are gathered here today. Has anyone seen the bride and groom?
Speaker 4: Mury? Sorry we're here.
Speaker 3: We were getting lucky in the limo and we lost track of tile.
Speaker 1: No Lucky land casino with cash prizes that add up quicker than a guess registered.
Speaker 8: In that case, I pronounce you lucky lay.
Speaker 2: For free Lucky land Slots dot Com. Daily bonuses are waiting, no purchase necessary board. We're prohibited by lock eighteen plus Terms and Conditions applag see website for details.
Speaker 1: Hello, it is Ryan and I was on a flight the other day playing one of my favorite social spin slot games on chumbacasino dot com. I looked over the person sitting next to me, and you know what they were doing. They were also playing Chumba Casino. Coincidence, I think not everybody's loving having fun with it. Chumba Casino's home to hundreds at casino style games. You can play for free anytime, anywhere, even at thirty thousand feet. So sign up now at Chumbuckcasino dot com to claim you're free. Welcome bonus. That's Chumbuck Casino dot com and live the Chumba Land No.
Speaker 4: Bus necessary DVO where if I lost the Terms Conditions eighteen plus.
Speaker 6: Let's get to April sixteenth and George Hilliard and also Albert. They're fishing at Marshall Creek and it's named after John Marshall.
Speaker 5: Uh.
Speaker 6: They get skunk fishing that day, so they stop at Marshall's for some milk, which is he has a cow, and they'd stopped many times before. And like you said, Albert is the kind of guy that visit him more than anyone else. So and likely as they are friends. They see each other all the time, and they're they're friendly, and they act like friends, and they can stop, he can stop over for a glass of milk. What does Marshall invites them for lunch? What does he talk about to these two gentlemen, to Albert and his friend?
Speaker 4: What does he say, Yeah, actually it's it's not Albert that that that's that's there with Hilliard, the George, and that comes back and tells Albert about this meeting. It's actually Elizabeth Albert, Elizabeth Bartlett's younger brother, George George George Bartlett. So you got George Hilliard, who's you know not I think he's around nine team for in English, and he's an immigrant from England. And then you've got George Bartner, who's eleven or twelve. The two of them go down to fish as you say, in Marshall Creek, and yes, named after John Marshall. It's in behind Marshall's house. And they they as they've done before, because Marshall's a jovialo and a fellow. He gives him some milk and and he wants the company. So he asks him to stay for lunch, which they do, and he gets talking about Marshall does. He gets talking in a very boastful way about his girlfriend, the girlfriend that he has, and Hilliard kind of eggs him on and in a teasing way, right because it would be like, here's this guy doesn't stay very good English. I'm going to kind of like needle him along. And so Marshall starts talking, well, yeah, you know, I've got my girlfriend, and you know I'm going to go buy her address, and and you know I have the money. And Marshall goes off and gets this leather sack a bag of gold coin of coins, and he spills them out on his hand and half a dozen or so twenty dollars coins and shows them to the boy and boys and they're just you know, of course their eyes just like like right up at this. And they finish up the lunch and you know, Marshall's happy with himself bragging about these things. And George Hilliard and George Bartlett go back to the hotel and George Bartlett is actually Albert Strobo's roommate, so it's Strobos renting a house and a hotel in Margaret Bartlett's hotel, the City Hotel, and there's the two beds, and so George Bartlett is on one bed and Albert Strobell is in the other. And so they come back and you know, they tell Albert all about this meeting that they had with with Marshall, and they told him, certainly they told him about the money, and it's pretty guaranteed they would also have told him about, you know, Marshall talking about his girl. And so Albert, you know, knew these two things which would be very important in the in the events that happened, you know, over the next few days.
Speaker 6: Absolutely, let's get to what happens. You have a neighbor named Ira Earhart, and around nine pm he hears a dog barking and he thinks it might be from next door from Marshall's. He might be he's a trapper, so he thinks it might be a bearon one of the traps. But he is not going to go over there. There's not enough for him to say, I got to go over there. So he goes over there the next morning, just after dawn and to have a little bit of milk for his dog again and get some milk. What does he find.
Speaker 4: Uh, well, he finds John Marshall sprawled out on the on the veranda of his cabin, Marshall's cabin. Marshall's head was propped up. He's on his back. Marshall's head is is propped up on the sill of the door and and his body his feet are pointed outwards, so uh, you know, and a seater hanging off the edge of the veranda. And Earhard comes close enough. He doesn't come and touch the body or see if he's alive or anything like that, but he comes close enough and he sees the nose had been you know, there's he thought at first it was mud, but it was dry blood all over his his front of his face and you know, a dark spot on his forehead and stuff. And he thought he thought that Marshall had been a club to death. So he heads off. He heads off down down the CPR line down to the Huntington rail station and that's where they have a telegraph and everything to let you know, to let people know what he's found.
Speaker 6: Right now, what to he called? He contacts authorities and you have a couple of lomn uh Moresby is involved here. Tell us what what police find from there the initial examination of the crime scene and uh, just tell us who's involved with the investigation and how police proceed.
Speaker 4: Yeah. So, so what happens is that the arhard informs the the station master at at the hunting station. So this is you know, this is like at dawn, first thing in the morning, and the fish master there's no police in the area. You know, there's not a single constable between New Westminster and Hope and Yale. So he he, uh, the station master telegraphs New Westminster and William Morrisby is both the warden of the provincial jail and also the acting acting Superintendent of Police on the mainland, the main the real superintendent is in Victoria, and Moresby gets in touch with with a former sergeant to the British Army by the name of Pitt and Dry, George pitten Dry, who's the coroner and they've worked on cases before. So Morrisby and pitt and Dry jump onto the next train and you know, two three hours later the train goes New I Spencer the mission mission down. They get off at at h. Marshall's place, the two of them and and Moresby is of course the one in charge of now in charge of the investigation. When they when they get to Marshall's place, what they see is is like a couple dozen men milling around, walking around the place, and you know, stomping all over the yard, and a bunch huddled up on a bunch of men huddled up on the veranda looking over Marshall's body, which which somebody had thrown a coat too. So Marsby comes up. You know, I don't know if I don't think he's he was the one to use oaths under his breath, but he he was not happy about all these people trapesing round. He comes up and he starts to investigate. He takes the the the blanket off of off of Marshall's body, and he investigates. He sees he sees a hole in the the forehead of John Marshall, right above the eyebrow, left eyebrow, and he turns him over and he notices, of course, to the broken nose. He turns them over and sees another hole, jagged hole in the lower uh the part of where the neck joins joins your back shoulders at the base of the basically your neck. Anythink, so you know that it might be the exit wound of from the hole in the front of his head. So he looks around that he can't find any bullets on the veranda or on the walls or whatever. Not a lot of blood. He was quite surprised as there's almost no blood. Uh there's you know, a pool of it where where Marshall's head was, but other than that, there's no real much blood around. And he goes in and he glances around the inside, and he doesn't really do an inspection of the inside. The fellow who had taken charge was a local justice of the peace, and he told Morris View that they had he had done a quick and he had done a search of the house and found a couple of leather pouches of money, one with coins and another with with with dollar bills, with yeah, with big bills from the back of British Columbia, oh yeah, and Moresby on Marshall's body itself. Moresby had found a pouch that it was lying on Marshall's stomach, a pouch with about ten dollars in it, along with his pipe, so that it somehow it had either been taken out of his pocket. The pouch and that or it had come out of his pocket when he fell. And Moresby, you know, he said, he doesn't look much at the crime scene notices, you know notices. The thing he noticed most was the kitchen table had been set for two. There are a couple of plates in that. There were leftovers on the table. The chairs had been tipped over, the two chairs as if people had just gotten out from supper. So it's it's obvious two people had been sitting down having supper. There's always one curious clue that that sticks out. And he and this this and this, uh crime scene there was a pot of boiled potatoes, uh, stranded halfway between the stove and the table, so uh, and it was upright and everything. So he couldn't figure out how that got there. Nobody ever did. But Marshall Moresby then heads out and he has to go back down to the Anticton station and start organizing his investigation and notifying his superiors and so forth. And that starts his investigation going while corner pit and dry. Of course, the system is that the corner is there. He pulls, he pulls a jury of a half dozen or so people close around and they hold they hold a corner's inquest, but that night they view the body, and the next day you have the official corners in quest, and that those two things get the investigation going.
Speaker 6: Right now, you talk about Moresby taking over this investigation and a person named David Lucas, private investigator, getting involved. And also there had been someone named William Porter that spoke to Moresby and he had been ditching with Strobell at the Marshall Farm. I believe so there and Porter believed that or suspected that Albert was involved. And so how do Lucas and Moresby proceed with questioning Albert Strobel?
Speaker 4: Right, David Lucas is you know, he's one of those characters that that as a writer historian trew crime writer, you love to have on the sea. You know, he was. He was just like straight out of as I said, books, fit straight out of Central Casting, as if wyat Erb had walked onto the onto the stage, and in a lot of very similarities because Herb himself respected the law only as much as was convenient. Lucas was living in in Seamoss City. He moved there a few years earlier, and he he actually was the first marshal of the city. At first he was paid you know, properly by the city council. But with the economic boot bust of the previous year, as city council had to you know, they couldn't pay him full time. He had you know, he did bit work. You know, if he arrested somebody for you know, a city violation, and you'd get some money for that. So he had to go back to sell the milk and so forth. But he had been the marshal of Sumas City, and he actually had experience as a private investigator because his brother, Lucas's older brother had run one of the more successful private investigator companies on the West Coast, like the Pinkatoons, but not as big, uh, And his older brother was in well, actually Albert, I mean Lucas himself had various scrapes with the law themselves up on charges for well, his brother for you know, bribery and you know, mishandling client funds and kidnapping in all these things. So he, you know, David Lucas learned all these the tricks of the trade from his brother, and when he was Marshall of Sumass City, he was kind of allowed to do, uh, you know what he wanted to to keep the peace because in the boom years there was all kinds of you know, bars and brothels and gambling houses and everything in Sumas City and and the count the city councils thought, well, this this guy did Lucas, he's a perfect guy for this. You know, he'll go after you know, it doesn't much know about you know, right to the defend and and so forth, and those don't really matter that much. So actually Moresby was quite relieved. He didn't know Lucas from before. But he met Lucas at Marshall's house. Lucas had gone down there in the morning and Lucas phil mars Bien on everything and so forth. And from that time on the two of them then go back to go down to the Huntington station set up headquarters in the Huntington Hotel, and from that point on the two of them work together in the investigation of Stroggle, and they pretty much from that time Stroggle was their primary, was their primary suspect in that.
Speaker 6: That Jesus is an up. This Jesus as an opportunity just to stop for a second to talk about our sponsor which is fab fit Fun. Discover why over one million women are obsessed with this seasonal subscription box service. In every fab fit Fund box, you'll receive eight to ten full size items that range from beauty to home decor, to apparel, to jewelry and beyond every season. The Spring twenty twenty box has been revealed and is now on sale for a limited time. My wife Lisa is always excited about getting another fab fit Fun box. This time she ordered the makeup Finishing Spray from Scandinavia and she loves it now it's part of her daily routine essential, she says. She also chose glow wrinkle treatment by Revived Light Therapy and rapid collagen infusion by myurad Resurgence Surety uses the Goat Milk moisturizing cream by Kate Somerville, and she has incorporated these amazing fab fit Fund products into her everyday health routine. She's been hitting the gym three days a week feeling and looking healthier, and with her Fat fit Fun beauty and health products, she's looking and feeling even better. FAG Thanks Fat Fit Fun. These are just some of the products she's Lisa chose for herself The boxes are customizable. If you just want to get surprised, though, the fatfit Fund team will curate a selection of products just for you. Fabfit Fund is happiness delivered straight to your door each season. Choose from a variety of beauty, fashion and wellness products to customize your very own spring box. It retails for forty nine ninety nine but always has a value over two hundred. Use coupon code Murder for ten dollars off your first box at www dot fabfitfund dot com. Use coupon code murder for ten dollars off your first box at www dot fabfit fund dot com. Now, Chad, we were talking about the build up the impetus for Moresby and with the help of David Lucas to be able to arrest Albert Strobel for the murder of Marshall of uh So, what does it take to be able to you? You talk about this ruse that they did to lure him from from the US side to the Canadian side. Tell us how they did this and what was the ruse?
Speaker 4: Yeah, uh yeah, I mean one of the advantagers Moresby saw, of course, and having David Lucas as his un official partner was that, you know. Right from the start, they they suspected Strobble because Strobell had been seeing that day, the day of John Marshall's murder, when he was ditching with UH William Porter, he had flashed his revolver. He had carried a revolver with them, and he had been seen with a revolver. He was believed to be the last one to see Marshall U life. So Moresby sends Lucas down into Suma City because of course Moresby himself is authority was only north of line and Lucas is able to to to he picks up some cartridges from UH spent cartridges and live cartridges from Strobell's room, and outside his room, he tricks Strobell into handing over his gun, which which would be the most decisive UH piece of evidence, and then he goes down. At one point, UH Strobell is outside talking to some friends and Lucas comes up and he starts talking to him, and and stroves, oh, you're here to arrest me, aren't you, And Lucas says no, no, no, no, no, I'm not. And so Lucas starts talking to him about the the investigation and he's teasing him with with you know, information about how they're going and how it's going and so forth. And as as he's doing this, they're walking south, and before Strobelle knows it, they're in front of the Huntington Hotel on the Canadian side, and and Lucas says, oh, why don't you come in and have a drink? You know, I'll treat you. And Strougle doesn't want to do that, but he's finally convinced and he gets, you know, a strawberry wine or some kind of very soft drink, and Lucas gets his his his bourbon, and then they come outside and Struggle thinks, so good, you know, I can go home now. And then, as you know, a couple of steps walking back, William Morrisby comes up behind him and puts his hand on Strobel's shoulder and arrests him there then in there for the murder of John Marshall.
Speaker 6: Right, so obviously this.
Speaker 4: Whole thing had been choreographed beforehand between Moresby and and Lucas to lower Scroble across the line so that Moresby could arrest him.
Speaker 6: How is it that they get the how does he trick him to get his gun. What's what's the again the ruse to talk about the gun. That's very interesting.
Speaker 4: Yeah. So you know, one of these these, Lucas is going back and forth back and forth, uh, talking to Marsby at the Huntington Hotel, going into Sumas City to investigate. And during one of these he's talking with with Strobel just outside the city hotel and the corners in quest hadn't really come happened yet and you know, hot topsy results and so forth. But uh, Lucas says, oh, yeah, I've just heard from the doctor that that the the gun that that killed Marshalls a forty four caliber. And Strobo lights up and says, oh, oh, well that that means me I only have a thirty eight caliber. And Lucas says, well, well can I see it? And Strobo, you know, he's thinking, oh, you know, I'll go get it and show him and convince him it's not the gun. So he goes up to his room, comes back down with the revolver and he shows it to Lucas and Lucas takes it, looks at it. See, you know, a couple have been fired, and you know, he could see that a couple of cartridges had been fired, and a couple were still in there, and he snaps it shut and he puts it in his pocket, and Strobe says, you can't do that. You can't take my revolver. And Luke says, oh wow, I'm just collecting everybody's around here. And at that point he turns around and goes down to back down to Huntington. The hotel I think isaid is Ryan.
Speaker 1: I'm not sure if you know this about me, but I'm a bit of a fun fanatic when I can.
Speaker 7: I like to work, but I like.
Speaker 5: It's a thing.
Speaker 1: And now the truth is out there, I can tell you about my favorite place to have fun, Chumba Casino. They have hundreds of social casino style games to choose from, with new games released each week. You can play for free, anytime, anywhere, and each day brings a new chance to collect daily bonuses. So join me and the fun. Sign up now at Chumba casino dot com.
Speaker 4: We're lost the terms conditions eighteen plus. And of course, that revolver would be the centerpiece of the prosecution case against Albert Strobel in the trials.
Speaker 6: Absolutely, let's talk about this gun. Just briefly. We got to talk about this trial because of course he's arrested and we will have to talk about his nemesis. This very interesting, David Franklin Iroley. But just briefly tell us about the state of the gun. This this is an ordinary gun and at the time of the term of ballistics expertise centered around that all guns like this, especially this common gun, were rusty. Just tell us briefly about this gun and the rustiness of it, and it's that's and its importance.
Speaker 4: It was a cheap, you know, generic gun, the trey gun. He wasn't a colt when or a smith and lesson or anything like that. Five bullet revolver thirty eight caliber, which was had by that time become the most common caliber for a revolver. It would have been fairly short barrow and you know Strobo got it. There's never he would never have cleaned it. He didn't have the proper cleaning tools, nor would he know how to clean it because he never had a gun before. He got it from a friend it is, and so who knows when it would have been cleaned before. And it was carried outside and inside. And if those guns aren't oiled and cleaned properly, they build rust up, rust and particularly rust in the barrel. And so most guns in the you know, the witnesses have say that most guns in the hands of you know, just your regular people, Joe, irregular people, would have rust in the barrel of some sort. And if it builds up, what happens is that the rust leaves marks on any bullets that are shot from the gun. And it was at the time gun experts, ballistics experts did not know. They knew that the rifling in a gun left marks on a bullet, but they didn't know that, you know, it was like a fingerprint, that no two barrels left the same marks on a gun. You know, we're familiar with that now too, Right, what did the ballistics tests say? And you know, the do the the do the marks match? And that wouldn't come until the nineteen twenties, extensive, extensive research that would show that that no two bullets fired from different guns would have the same marks. So what the Victorian ballistics experts, and they were there were no trained liistics experts, they were just guns. They would they would try to match guns by saying, well, you know, this one's heavily rusted. And I see these rust, these rust marks on the bullet, you know, from I test fired one, and there's a similar marks made by the rock on that one as the one that was dug out of you know, John Marshall's body. And that was how the whole, you know, the ballistics worked at that time.
Speaker 6: Let's get to this David Franklin, Iriley, why he's this, What is the relationship between him and Strobel and how does it come? And for what reason possibly would this person confess and what did he confess to?
Speaker 4: Yes, David Airly was fourteen years old. He was the oldest son of early family which had moved there in the eighteen nineties. His mom was sick and she was away and the sisters were away, so he was living in the house with his dad, who is a hard working carpenter, handyman and things, and is two younger brothers. And I mean, like I said, he was a disturbing little fellow. He and he took it into his head to torment struggle as much as he could, helping him with rocks all the time. And of course Strobel could never catch him because of his leg. But at some point Airily decided that he wanted to confess to the crime after it happened, and he said that he told Marsby, and then he told Moresby that that Strobell had come the night of the murder, and the two of them had gone up to Marshall's place and Struggle had gone in. He Airly was outside, heard a couple of shots, and Struggle came back with some money, and they headed back for Marsby. This was it right, This was the clincher. And he of course arrested Airly for being an accomplice to the murder and robbery. And the first trial went was a trial against Strobl and Airly, so even though the two of them were enemies, they faced the charges together during the first trial, by which time Airly had withdrawn his confession, this lengthy confession that he had given to Morrisby, and he had told another like while they were waiting in prison. He had told another prisoner. The reason why he they concocted this story was he thought that Moresby would bring him to Newestminster and put him up in a nice hotel and pay him three dollars and fifty cents a day for being a witness, and so that something wasn't quite right, and this guy in this guy's mind and he let it added in a very fascinating twist to the whole to the whole thing. Now, in the first trial, it all falls apart. I mean, this guy gets up on the stand. Oh no, he yeah, he he can't go, he can't. Sorry. The law had just changed so that now defendant defendants could testify at their own trial. Up until then, defendants couldn't. And so he gets up in the stand and it's pretty obvious from the get go that this this guy just full of full of it right, his story is completely concocted and so forth, And so the Crown drops the charges against him. But that harms their case so much that in the first trial that that you're is a hung jury they can't decide on the charges against Strobel, mostly because Airly had so screwed up that the Crown's case.
Speaker 6: You talk about the first trial though, with the ability for a defendant to take the stand in his own defense, you write that the jurors at that time expected, because of this law, that they expected the defendants to take the stand. So if they didn't, so it was that you didn't have to, but if you didn't, the jury would look unfavorably upon the defendant because of it. And Strobull testified at the first trial as well. Yeah, and like you said, like you say, in this trial he was represented by a very competent attorney named Allie Morrison. And as you write, the kind of vigorous defense that he employed at this trial was unusual at the time. And you say that that the judicial system wanted a much more decorum to the to to to the proceedings in court, and so that right from the very beginning, the judge McCrate looked unfavorably on Morrison for his tactics in defending Albert Strobel, didn't he.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean that was more at play in the second trial where Morrison. Morrison had to become very aggressive in the second trial. The first trial, he was. Morrison was a sharp attorney. He was when we think of a defense lawyer, you know, kind of like a pit bull. He fit that mold very much and that that was his his natural ability back then. That was found the point because of course, you know, the court of law be respectful and everybody's respectful and so forth, and that style would would really come into play more in the second trial in the first. But yes, I mean putting, putting struggle on the stand in a sense. This was the first case that Morrison tried where his defendant went to the stand, so he wasn't experienced in this, but he didn't know. I mean, these these he HiT's the eighteen nineties and it's like, well, if you're innocent, you have nothing to hide. I mean, people still say that, and I can't believe that they do, because it's just not true. Everybody has something to hide, that's our right to And you know, the farmers and the merchants that sat on the jury said, well, we want to the o Their innocence is almost more about your you know, are you're a moral person or not? And if you're you're a moral person, you'll get up there and you'll defend yourself. And all in all the other trials at the assize, the defendants got up and testified, even in at the trial and actually the trial that happened just before, when the guy was obviously guilty and there was no chance of him getting off. Even in that case, he got up and and and testified and struggled it. It was a long time and he did actually did surprisingly well given his his limitations. But Davy, and this is Peter Davy's second time he had a witness in the defendant in in the box. He was very good. But it just like the case just was sputtering and at that point.
Speaker 6: So its.
Speaker 4: No go ahead.
Speaker 6: Sorry. They deserved to have an acquittal because of of Ireley's confession and poor performance on the stand, but also that it is tied struggle to the murder, and without without with the acquittal or with the throwing out of the charges against Irely, then it seemed preposterous to to have it connected use that same evidence that's been discredited to then convict him of this murder. Now many times, right go ahead, go ahead, they used that.
Speaker 4: I mean they had to fall back on the gun, right matching the gun and test was done, a bullet was fired from that gun and then that bullet was compared to the bullet that came out of Struggle of Marcials neck, and the Crown argued, you know it was close enough. You know they're a match, and if they're a match, then he's guilty. And so they fell back on that. But you know, in that day and age direct evidence. You know, he's they talk about direct evidence and circumstantial evidence. Nowadays, what we think of his direct evidence is physical evidence. You know, that bullet matching the bullet to the gun is direct evidence. Back then, the notion of direct evidence is eyewitness evidence. And so when they're direct evidence, that is Airly's eyewitness testimony. When that falls apart, their case falls apart because their direct evidence falls apart. So it was a different legal climate very much at the time.
Speaker 6: You have Theodore Davey too, learning from this first trial as well and being able to use for the second trial. And as you're writ in the book, is very surprising to see the trial scheduled for so soon. There was a possibility that the trial would be be delayed for six months. They said, let's change this venue. Let's take it from New Westminster to Victoria, you know, across to the island to Victoria. And at the same time, what was interesting is that strobel with this deadlock jury, he thought he was acquitted. That's how he stunned. This guy was about what was going on. So he actually thought that this was a big victory for himself. But this next trial was scheduled for two weeks only two weeks later, wasn't it?
Speaker 4: Yes?
Speaker 6: Yes, So now what changes in this second trial in terms of both people being prepared because some of the similar witnesses an evidence was still germane to this second trial very much about the guns, about the bullets being found by David Lucas. Tell us a little bit about the David Lucas discovery of these bullets and what was questionable about that and what Allie Morrison was limited by in terms of hiring a gun expert and what really qualified as expertise in firearms at that time.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean, all of the important evidence used in the case. The physical evidence was collected by David Lucas and it was just collected, taken He stored it for two weeks in a trunk and then handed it over to Morrisby. And the really questioned the evidence that raised eyebrows of Morrison was were the two empty cartridges that morris that Lucas found beneath the window of a of Strobos hotel room. Now it had been raining. This is November December. You're back in Ontario, so you just know we got rain. It had been raining and the streets were muddy, and somehow Lucas found these two empty cartridges right underneath strobos window, lying in a kind of a you know, wet mud. They were lying right on top of the mud, and they were clean, bright and clean. So one, they were clean after all this time out there in the mud. And two nobody, you know, the police had inspected this alley before and they hadn't found these cartridges, and that becomes an issue. Of course, Morrison brings it up in both trials, especially in the second trial, where he accuses Lucas of planting them, of planting those two cartridges, and those those become the cartridges that you know, in the jury's mind, or the question is, of course, well these are the cartridges that that Strougle would have taken out. It's a revolver, so when if you fire it, the cartridge doesn't eject, as opposed like an automatic handgun. The car the empty cartridge stayed inside the gun. And so the presumpt a Crown was arguing Strogo took the two the two cartridges, empty cartridges that he had shot Marshall with, took him mind of the gun and threw him outside his window. Morrison was saying, well, you know they're clean, they're sitting on top there. These these have been planted. And like I said, you know, Lucas just he's a character that keeps giving in a story. He's asked well what made you look in in the alley at this time? Because Lucas was going all around Sumas City in the day two three days after the shooting looking for evidence and he was he was asked well what made you look in the alley at this time? And he said, well, he had dreamed about he had dreamt about it. He had dreamt about the cartridge is sitting in the alley, and Morrison's just you know when when he said that, it was just quite the reaction he has. He asked Lucas, well, what what religion are you, mister Lucas, And he said, well, I used to try being a Christian, but I'm not a spiritualist. Now now I'm now I'm now I belong to the the Idfellows. So it was it was quite the funny funny and exchange.
Speaker 6: Now with this here you have with fascinating is Judge Walkin's behavior at the second trial. Now you write it this, it's interesting because this is new territory where you have it a defended testify on the stand in his own defense. So Albert Strobo got up and they had the benefit Davy, Theodore Davy had the benefit of his first confession or his first appearance, so that that was transcribed. So he was he had a strobble off balance with the little gaps or inconsistencies that he had in his in his in his testimony. But what's most important and surprising and shocking was that Judge Walkin basically interrupted Morrison, which he was now really peeved at because he said that Morrison was was denigrating these respectable witnesses character and their credibility was questioned. So what he did, in effect was not allow Morrison to give to allow a direct examination of Albert Strobel and in effect interrupting constantly. As you write, he acted like a cross examination, the judge acting as a cross examiner rather than the prosecution itself. Tell us a little bit more about this behavior and how unusual it was.
Speaker 4: Yes, I mean it was. Strobel's testimony was one of the two decisive factors in a second trial. The other wise a more convincing link between his revolver and one of the book would see and Marshall because Davey had done his work better on that and that evidence was presented better. But the other decisive part, and Davy admits afterwards, was was strobles testimony. The first if you think by raising rout, was when Walcome allowed Strobel's full testimony from the first trial, when he allowed for it to be read three hours of reading into the record in the second trial. So not only did Davy have access to that you know, transcript, but now the jurors hurt his testimony in trial number one. So when when Strobel then now has to get onto the stand to defend himself and he's kept on the stand for you know, I think eight or nine hours over two days, and literally to stand. He wasn't allowed to sit, and witnesses weren't allowed to sit except for women witnesses, women and girls that were brought in to testify. And during that testimony, you know, they most of it was taken up four or five hours were taken up by uh uh Davy and the rest of the time was taken up by welcome questioning the judge questioning struggle. Morrison got very little time to question him. He would he would set up and start struggle, going with with the story, and then a few minutes in Welcome would start directly questioning Struggle. So during the time when Strogo is supposed to be question and by his own defense counsel and had to have the opportunity to give his version during that time, Welcome intervened and took over the questioning and you know, on each step in each of the details. And then Davy it was Davy's turn to cross so called cross examine. So out of those nine hours, almost all of it was cross examination by the judge and cross examination by the Crown Council and you know, a very very little questioning examination by his own council. And the reason is that there are no precedents. This was the second trial and British plump, well, well now it's the fourth, third or fourth trial where the defendant is to testify. There's the new Criminal Code didn't specify what the rules were when a defendant was testifying, and there was no common law precedent that said, well, you know, the judge can't just step in and grill like this, So there were no legal protections that would guarantee the defendant the right to just unimpeded give his version of events.
Speaker 6: Now, let's talk about the verdict and what happens with this case. Obviously he's convicted, but tell us about the public reaction and about the press reaction to this verdict, and also the reaction from Margaret Bartlett, Elizabeth Bartlett and from Strouble himself.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you know, the reaction to the verdict was amongst the public, it was actually quite split amongst in the gallery of the court room itself, you had booze as well as cheers amongst you know, readers in Victoria, New Westminster or whatever who following the trial you had to split as well. And as soon as the verdict came down there was there were moves to start a petition for an appeal. And the newspapers themselves were strongly like they actually did a very very good job and even had a job of presenting the testimony without comment. So you had these long, long columns of the trial coverage where it was very accurate. But once once the verdict came in, they you know, they were able to say, yeah, we told you so, we we said he was guilty from way back and you know, so all of the press was supported the verdict. Half of the public did, half didn't. Margaret Strobell and Margaret and Elizabeth Bartlett where you know, Elizabeth Bartlett collapsed crying. Margaret Strobell, uh as well, Margaret Bartlett as well. Sorry. Strobell himself didn't react at first, and then as he's being carried out, it kind of hit him that that he had never believed up to the point that he would be convicted because he thought that he could talk his way out of out of everything. But as he was being carried out, he started, you know, yelling and screaming and pro dad, h doesn't matter, but you know, you know, it's okay, it doesn't matter, and so forth. So it finally hit him and he he showed some emotion and the defiance in the face of the verdict, so that that was the immediate reaction to the verdict.
Speaker 6: Now this we talked about Strobell being emotionally delayed or slow. He meets with Elizabeth because this love of his life, and you had mentioned before that he was told by the mother, Margaret, that if this wouldn't happened, he would have been married, you know, So talk about the conversation and talk about the conversation that Elizabeth had with Strobell and what she asked him, and who was also listening at that same time, and what did they do as a result.
Speaker 4: Yes, Elizabeth visited Struggle the day I believe it was the day after the conviction. I visited him in prison. He was he was kept apart from the regular population on the equivalent of death row in in New Westminster jail. And she was escorted to his cell. And actually it's not like the guards went away or one of the people escorting her was the Superintendent of Police, Frederick Hussey. And she asked, and you know, you know, did he do it, because she had all along said no, you know, she believed that he didn't do it, and he all along said he didn't. And at this point he admitted that yes, he had shot her, Marshall, but he said, but it was because of you, and she, you know, she was shocked, of course, as shocked as with it. And he says, well, what do you mean because of me? You know, well, we argued over you, and she said, well you shouldn't have argued. You should have just let it go anyway, And so the guards and Hussey heard this. And what Hussy does is he gets her into he was taking notes. He gets her into a side room and he has a statement that of of what they just said, that that struggle had told told her Elizabeth that he had shot her and so and he gets her to sign. Hussey gets her to sign the statement, right, so you know, it's it's a it's a confession. And then a number of he confesses to the newspaper reporter, he confesses to to his lawyer. They try to get it all, you know, Morrison tries to get control of this, but it aspires out of control. He eventually confesses to Hussie. Each time his story agets though. He says he shot Marshall, but it was because they had had a fight and Marshall came at him angry and that's why he shot him. So it was like self defense, is how he was arguing with his in these confessions. But they were confessions. Nonetheless, they were saying something that he had denied for nine months.
Speaker 6: Yeah, he had said that Marshall said something derogatory about Elizabeth, and so then that was the argument ensued and he was enraged to the point of murder here, but Morrison tried to do his very best for a client that he felt was innocent, and then I think a client that he felt didn't get a fair try well because of the judge's behavior and the missteps by his own client itself. But to no avail would he keep his mouth shut, so he really couldn't be helped at all. And there really wasn't there. Really, there wasn't. Even though he had a hearing about this evidence it really it would It didn't make any difference in this, did it. People lost all kinds of sympathy for him. Believed he was guilty.
Speaker 4: Yes, yeah, as soon as the confession came out, there's support for him completely evaporated, you know, mainly because he had been he had been so adamant that he hadn't been there at all that night, and so people who had supported him now say, well, he said, you lied. You know, we don't care in a sense now that you change your story completely that you actually did, whether it was for self defense or not, you lied. So all of that public support for him vanished. And there was this hearing, but in a lot of ways it was an improper hearing. There was no public at the time. There was no avenue to appeal a conviction. There wasn't an appeal court. There was an they could you could make an appeal on a point of law, but there was none none of those in the case either. So Struggle thought, okay, well that didn't work. I you know, my being saying it innocent didn't work. Now if I confess and just explain that, you know, then they'll they'll either let me go or they won't execute me. Well, there is no provision to let him go. There's only one thing left that would save him from being executed, and that was that every murder conviction was sent to the Justice Department in Ottawa, and they had the Cabinet had to approve it, and that the Governor General had to approve it. And it was at that point all the information was sent to them, the trial notes, all that stuff, and they had the power to commute the sentence to life in prison or to let the sentence stand. That was the only avenue he had at that point. And he didn't I mean, you know, he's not a lawyer. He didn't understand that. He still thought he could talk his way out of it. But there was there were no provisions you know to go. Even even with what we would see as the flagrant violations in law at the time, they weren't because there were no there was no law and there had been no case law to say, well, this is the way defendants are supposed to be treated when they're in the witness books. This is the law, this is the new law. You can't use the transcript from a previous you know. And and Morrison's argument, which actually was quite a good one, was that Strobel's testimony from the first trial was voluntary, he didn't have to make it, and he argued, you can't use that in this this trial. But he was overruled, so there there was no question of law and there there was no havenue to appeal, right.
Speaker 6: This has been very fascinating talking about the trials of Albert Strobel. Needless to say, his u his protestations didn't work out and he was executed. I want to thank you very much for coming on and talking about the trials of Albert Strobel. Love, murder and justice at the end of the frontier. I know this is a Caitlin Press release. Caitlinpress dot com tell us how they might find out more information about this case. And find out more more about this book.
Speaker 4: Well, find out more about the book is is you know buy it?
Speaker 6: Yes, I have to put that plug in.
Speaker 4: Uh. It's available on Amazon, on Indigo and probably that public libraries will I know that the Toronto Public Library is ordered a copy or too, I don't know, but some of the others there Indigo of course connected through Cole's books can press dot com. It has a basic description yet of the description of the book and and the blurbs on the back and you can see the cover and that so if if if viewers want to go there and take a look at that, and I can say, I mean it's available for ordering and any of the you know, the major the major online store places.
Speaker 6: Absolutely well. I want to thank you very much, Chad Reimer for the trials of Albert Strobel, love, murder and justice at the end of the Frontier. It's been a real pleasure. Thank you so much. And uh, I hope you have a great night.
Speaker 4: Thank you for having me.
Speaker 6: Thank you very much. Good night, good night.