Speaker 1: Hey, everybody, welcome to Game Spot After Dark, episode ninety. I am your host this week John lack Sypeke uh Lucy, our regular host is out this week because she has to go back to the UK, along with Tam also out this week.
Speaker 2: So the.
Speaker 1: Man, it's about time, you know, like, God damn we kicked the Brits out before and we're doing it again.
Speaker 2: O God, you put this fool in the host she wants love to see it.
Speaker 1: But to replace those uh, those those libby Brits lie means that the right word what you say, yo, yo, I think you're.
Speaker 3: I don't even want to want to try, like.
Speaker 4: I don't know recording it's like what you say.
Speaker 1: Okay, I'll start authority on it. But you know what, we'll do a second take. I'll do a second take. If that's not cool, okay, just do it, just roll we keep going, okay anyway. I am joined by the wonderful Michael Hyam Yo, what to do baby, the fantastic Jordan.
Speaker 4: Remae Hello, Hello, and.
Speaker 1: For the very first time, the illustrious Persia What is uh first time?
Speaker 2: First time, but you've been here for a long time, first time, long.
Speaker 5: Time actually, as of the seventeen, it will have been two years.
Speaker 2: Two years day. Congrats folks listening probably seeing Persia in all sorts of places on GameSpot dot com. If you do a lot of video content, so shouts out to you. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Well, in fact, because you're the first time on, that means we have a little segment we like to do, the Chris from Dayton, Ohio segment. Chris from Dayton, Ohio is one of our long time listeners who long time ago asked us to tell us a bit about ourselves. So every time we have a new guest on, we like to always ask them to tell us a bit about yourself. So Persia, tell us about yourself, what you do here at game Spot and some of your favorite games.
Speaker 5: Wow, all right, well Hi, I'm Persia at game Spad. I work on a lot of cool video content and sponsor stuff and live streams. It's very exciting and I enjoy it a lot. And I've been able to do more editing recently, which has been also very exciting and stimulating through the brain. But before a Game Spot, you know, I was a little esports nerd, a little like competitive try Hard I started way back and like Halo two got addicted to going to tournaments, won a couple of vocals that like my nearby game crazy. You know, for people who don't know who that is, it's like the Hollywood video game section.
Speaker 3: So you know, I thought I.
Speaker 5: Was I was hot ship and everything. So I got tired of competing with the team. Couldn't rely on my team. I wanted to go out there and went on my own. And what did I do? I wouldn't learn fighting games. Have I won a tournament since that time? Absolutely not, because.
Speaker 2: But you got heart?
Speaker 3: But yes, I have all the heart in the world.
Speaker 4: Say, does anyone remember the very first day that Persia showed up in the office back when we actually went into an office and she just brought up like her dope ass like fighting stick and just like went to town.
Speaker 2: Who want to throw hands of school girls? And she did? It was like, oh yeah, we fuck with school girls? Is CONCOOLI goddamn, I forget that day.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 5: I remember one time before I was even working at games By, guys were streaming skull Girls.
Speaker 3: I saw it on my Twitter feed.
Speaker 5: And I was like, man, imagine getting paid to play skull Girls. They like fast forward sometime and we were I was playing with John Luke.
Speaker 3: Actually we were playing on the stream.
Speaker 4: It was fun.
Speaker 5: Yeah, but yeah, so I felt so bad that day though, because I remember I was trying to like record some combos for Mortal Kombat and Jake was like, can you stop.
Speaker 2: Because I use I have like rubber silencers under my because I know that she's loud in here.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 5: I ended up borrowing John Luke's silent stick, which I think is still over there.
Speaker 3: So yeah, yeah, yeah, so yeah, definitely.
Speaker 2: I also remember Evil to twenty nineteen. I saw you were commentating.
Speaker 5: Yeah yeah, I uh man commentating so fun. Through going to fighting and tournaments and stuff like that, eventually got on the mic. Back then, it was a lot easier to get on the mic because you know, it wasn't as professional. It was like Spooky would have a stream up. Someone on the mic had to go play their match, there was an MPC and they're like.
Speaker 2: Yo, come over here, you don't micro quick.
Speaker 3: And I'm like, yeah, you got it. And then fast forward.
Speaker 5: Sometimes people are starting to take commentary really seriously and I was like, hey.
Speaker 3: Yeah, me too, Like I want to be a part of that as well.
Speaker 5: So I commentated a bunch traveled like more than ever at that time because I was also younger too.
Speaker 3: It's like, oh, it was ten years ago.
Speaker 5: This was basically ten years ago because that's when Marvel came out, and yeah, I ended up being the first woman to commentate at EVO officially and the first woman to commentate a Marvel topic as well.
Speaker 4: This is like really dope is.
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 5: Like I feel like I commentated almost like one hundred events during my time doing Marble stuff, like.
Speaker 3: I was in it. It was like the best years ever, super excited.
Speaker 5: So it was really cool to go from being like freelance commentator who basically survived off of passion and exposure and heart right to get.
Speaker 3: Something like GameSpot. It's like amazing, Like stability is so underrated. Okay, awesome, So yeah, I'm.
Speaker 1: So happy to have you on. Finally, we need to get more, more, more people on the staff on. I think that's going to be a big goal for this year is shouting out all the wonderful people who I mean, will you get obviously you're on camera all the time, but people people who normally don't get the love a Game Spot who are awesome people. Bring them on anyway, We're here today to talk about. Oh, actually a lot. We got a lot of shit to talk about because there are some some big things. I'm gonna go to probably Michael, I'm gonna save you for last, because you're talking about the big thing this week. So why don't we actually start with I guess technically both Jordan and Persia, because you guys are our resident Apex legends experts, and there's some some new Apex stuff I don't I played a little Apex when I first came out, and I kind of fell off.
Speaker 2: So hit me with all the good stuff. What's what's going on?
Speaker 4: To say another, like behind the scenes at game Spot, like, there was a moment when we were having like Game of the year conversations with twenty nineteen and John Lee were should it should Apex still be up there? We haven't played since launch.
Speaker 1: Literally everybody turned around and yelling at me, and I.
Speaker 2: Was like, it's just.
Speaker 4: Play Apex, John Luke, come back, come back to us.
Speaker 3: It's a great time to come back, to be honest, and I'll be extremely fair.
Speaker 5: I took a couple of seasons off too. It's not I've been playing NonStop since season one. I played like season one through three took like four or five almost six off, and then you know, hit it again really hard, especially when Horizon came out, because she's the best, and I always joke with my friends imagine being on the ground. I love that character because you can make the illis flanks by the reason why.
Speaker 4: The Horizon's gonna get nerved in the season she's so she needs to be nerved again. She's too good. No one should be allowed to create a black hole in a Battle Royale.
Speaker 5: So yeah, it's a great time to come back for sure, even if you've taken some seasons off.
Speaker 2: Maybe I will.
Speaker 1: I just need to find the right the right crew. My crew, My Battle Royale crew is Calie rest in Peace form.
Speaker 3: Whoa, Oh my god, that's terrifying, but dead.
Speaker 1: Friend of the show Callie Plaguey and also well member of the show occasionally Ben Jenka, who was on last week talking about Final Fantasy. Every time I play a Battle Royale with them, we do extremely well because we're all on the same page and we're all very cautious, like municative. We communicate. We don't like picking fights like other friend of the show Matt Pagett also Rest in Peace he I don't like playing Battle Royales. Well, I love playing Battle Oh he's.
Speaker 2: Gone and he talks shit, Wow, I hate to see it.
Speaker 1: I love Matt and I love playing games with Matt. You try to play Battle Royales with him, You're like, all right, so what should we do? And then Matt just he's already run off. He's already like fifty yards that way getting into a fight. He's already dead, and you're like, god, damn it.
Speaker 2: He's aggressive and he doesn't tell you when he's gonna get aggressive, exactly like.
Speaker 4: You might like this new season. Then John Luca's Respon's been teasing hard that they're going to add something that isn't Battle Royale. One of the devs, the director of Communication, was like, you know, in the same way that like Fortnite went from this like zombie game to Battle Royal, Like wanting to be really cool if more games just added new genres to them that were basically a whole different other game that transformed the game, like let me, let me pitch something.
Speaker 1: So like what if there's teams, two teams, a bunch of different people and they're fighting each other, but then they get an alt where they summon a mech and they can get in. That mech will come when it comes.
Speaker 4: Like, because if we're talking about.
Speaker 1: Titan Fall, I am in. I played so much titan Fall two, that is my jam. Apex is fine, it's just not titan Fall.
Speaker 4: I can't I can't really disagree.
Speaker 2: But tell us about the new the new Apex stuff. There's a new.
Speaker 1: Character, right, there's news.
Speaker 4: Yeah. I call her Valkyrie for note. They that's her call sign, but they haven't like confirmed if that's like her legend name or if it's something else entirely. But she uses an old titan Fall to north Star mech, repurposes the parts to create a jet pack that allows her to like rockets and stuff like that. When I was talking, cancel, you pause and look at me. It's like north Star Titan. No, you're not gonna like what I have to say next. He's just using the parts, just using the pieces. They're adding a bow and arrow. They're changing one of their maps. They call it Olympus Infested, which sounds really disgusting. But I think they're just adding a bunch of trees and bushes and shrubs.
Speaker 3: To the map.
Speaker 4: So we'll see how that turns out, am I missing anything? Persia? I feel like I'm not missing anything.
Speaker 3: I mean, Vaty's definitely New Maine. Like I said, imagine being on the ground. I am all about the aerial characters. It's gonna be late.
Speaker 5: And I'm just excited too that they're incorporating more of the Titan Fall stuff.
Speaker 3: But in an interesting.
Speaker 5: Way, right They're teasing us with all these little things, like little pictures, little tidbits, but then diving into actually reviving a character through a backstory is kind of cool when I felt like people weren't really giving that character much of a thought beforehand, besides the fact that they were Predator and they were like someone that you fought in titan Fall two.
Speaker 3: I'm talking about Viper, by the way, But I think that's cool and we get to learn more.
Speaker 5: And also, though side note, I'm like, dang, why are you making me feel bad for the bad guy?
Speaker 4: It was pretty funny when that new trailer came out and a bunch of people were like, man, I feel kind of bad about killing Viper, and a bunch of other people are like, nah, Viper was an asshole. He wrote to BET's arms off, and then there was a whole segment of the Apex community that was like, what is everyone talking about. I'm like, oh right, there's a bunch of people who played Apex who have just never played Titanfall or titan Fall two and have no idea that Viper was like the most annoying boss battle.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, shit.
Speaker 4: Yeah, the aerial north Star boss fight on the Giant ship and he would just like keep coming back, and You're like, dude, why you just not?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 4: Yeah, oh.
Speaker 2: That makes me way work.
Speaker 1: So I'm now yeah, okay, legend is his daring titan Fall lore, but more titan Fall lore in.
Speaker 4: Ax.
Speaker 2: I don't got time.
Speaker 4: Though.
Speaker 5: The other thing though about playing Apex, and this is what helped me kind of get back into it, was that you have to take the mentality out that being the last.
Speaker 3: One standing is the only time you're winning.
Speaker 5: Because sometimes I have the best games that I felt like I've ever played, and I still get like second place or like fourth place or something like that. But the progress of the accomplishment you feel, just when you're actually getting kills and you're dropping damage and you're getting those badges, you're like, oh, I'm.
Speaker 3: Winning right now. I am a champion A right, let's go.
Speaker 5: But you know I had to get over that whole like, dang, if I'm not the champion, every time I'm using and I suck and like why am I even playing? It's like so much more than that that comes with you just playing and getting better and stuff like that.
Speaker 4: We will turn this into an APEX podcast. If you don't stop us, John, you should just probably talk about what you're doing.
Speaker 2: We should probably.
Speaker 1: So. Yeah, it's like, all right, is fire yak is a podcast this week? Is it a persona podcast? Fantasy podcast?
Speaker 4: I will go all day, We'll use the entire hour.
Speaker 2: Bring Max, Max, Max Hacks Bloomenthal, bring him.
Speaker 5: On because that full Walldorf and Norma this whole episode.
Speaker 1: Well, why don't we move on then to the other game that Persia you've been playing Before Your Eyes.
Speaker 2: I've never heard of this. What is this? Ben, but was talking about it last week? But I want to I want to hear what you have to say Persia.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 5: I actually found out about it because I had saw a tweet and the tweet was basically saying, how Before Your Eyes is a short game, It's only like an hour and a half.
Speaker 3: But the reviewers.
Speaker 5: Some of them they were playing it, they said, oh, this is a great experience, but since it was under esteems I guess time limit, they were refunding the game at Oh, So I started playing it kind of at a principle, I was like, that's messed up. You know, these people are putting their heart and souls in these games. And then you actually loved it, but you still refunded it, Like it's messed up, right, So I was like, out of spite, I'm playing this immediately, yet I'm done working and it's only an hour and a half. Like, sometimes you don't have a bajillion hours to give to a game, like John Leck was just saying, I don't have the time, but you would probably have the time for this game. And it's not that intensive either. But the interesting thing about it is that we've all heard the expression your life flashes before your eyes.
Speaker 3: And all this other stuff, So it's basically like that.
Speaker 5: And it uses your webcam to see how many times you blink, and sometimes you'll blink and you'll progress to the next part of the story.
Speaker 3: So sometimes you'll be in a moment where you're like, no, I don't want to blink.
Speaker 2: I don't.
Speaker 3: I want to see more of what's going on, and you blink and you miss it.
Speaker 4: What if I'm crying and just like blinking constantly.
Speaker 5: Well, it's tears, and I've tested it and approved it for you.
Speaker 3: So that is not a problem.
Speaker 1: Sad girl, prove that sounds terrible for me because I have this problem where if I am thinking about blinking, I just start rapidly blinking. So I would just like skip half the game, Like, there.
Speaker 2: You go for your speed. This Summer is a GDQ.
Speaker 5: You can play it without a webcam, Like if you don't have one, you can still play without it. I haven't tried it without the webcam, but it does give you the option at least. But it was really good, Like I don't want to say too much more about it because I feel like the story kind of gets a little spoiled.
Speaker 2: In that way.
Speaker 3: But it's very well done. It's very moving. I cried a lot.
Speaker 5: I thought I knew how things were going, and it's still managed to like hit me in the gut and surprise me and all of that in an hour and a half.
Speaker 3: Like I felt like I should have paid more.
Speaker 2: I was like, well, like I said last week when Ben was talking about it, like this is like, this is the type of game that I would I would want to play because it's effective and like that whole blink, Like like you said, you can play with the mouse and there's a we have a review up now that kind of explains how that works. But just don't hit the same.
Speaker 3: Right exactly exactly.
Speaker 2: Awesome.
Speaker 1: Well, moving over to Jordan, I see you have a little game called Mass Effect.
Speaker 2: And Effect and Trauma on his list.
Speaker 4: Wow, it's always a good time to go back and play a fan favorite.
Speaker 2: Man, I'm going to be on the podcasts. All'm gonna drop some bullshit, and I respect.
Speaker 4: That I thought about it. I'm like, you know, I could talk about how I've been playing some Outriders recently, but I've also been playing some Massffect and Drama. Which game is going to make the bigger splash with this group of people. But yeah, I'm just so excited for Legendary Edition to come out, and so I'm like, oh, I just want to play some more Mass Effect. But I obviously don't want to play the trilogy again right now, because he use then it would just be like, oh, and now here's the code for a legendary edition, go speed run through the trilogy that you just played through for work for coverage, and like, that sounds terrible, that sounds exhausting. I don't want to do that. And I am still one of the standouts at GameSpot that thinks that Mass Effect and Drama is good. Actually, so I enjoy it. I enjoy Mass Effect and Dramaeda, even if all the rest of you fuckers don't.
Speaker 2: You'll ring of the Fire.
Speaker 1: I love it was there is there anything, uh, like I don't know, like playing it now, Like, is there anything like you've gleamed from it having like played it in twenty twenty one, or like in preparation for legendary Edition, or are you just like just kind of just casually playing it for fun.
Speaker 4: It's more just casually playing it for fun, like the really thing that just always keeps standing out to me. I'm like, man, it's gonna be so weird to go back to this and the original trilogy when Legendary Edition comes out, Like the fact that by the time and Drameda came out Buyer, where I had just gone completely away from the good guy bad guy dialogue that they kind of started with Kotor they had kind of done for a few RPGs for a while, and then they got to like, uh, Dragon, Acent Composition and Andromeda, and they're like, let's just kind of do like choices and there's no good ending bad ending, it's just kind of consequence to your actions. I'm like, huh, I wonder will legendary editions somehow feel a little bit dated going back to that, well, I enjoy it more, just because so many RPGs now come out that don't really do the whole binary system anymore, and lots of games have started kind of getting away from like, ah, yes, the world is black and white. They kind of do the whole like the world is gray type of deal. So it'll be interesting to kind of go back and experience that with Mass Effect. And that's just kind of what I've been thinking about when I've been playing and Drameda again and just going through the game and being like, wow, like this is normal, Like this is what's normal now for there to just be like two choices and for them to not be tied to Paragon or Renegade. And I'm gonna have to get used to the fact that I'm going back to the old way when legendary Edition comes out, because I will absolutely play that trilogy like four more times again when legendary Edition comes out, and.
Speaker 2: Make the same choices all four times.
Speaker 4: Like I tell myself, you know what, maybe I'll romance Miranda this time or Liara, or maybe I'll even be wild and do like an asshole like Ashley or something like no, wow, no Tally again. We should do Tally again.
Speaker 1: The second you hear her voice, you're like, Nope, no girl for me.
Speaker 2: That's wild. Though I thought about that too, Like damn I played. I played Paragon every time I played Mass Effect like one, one, two, and three, so like I was like, oh, I want to see Renegade, Like no, you know what, that's not the Shepherd that I know. So I'm not going to do it.
Speaker 4: I can't be mean to my friends. I literally just can't do it. Like there's so many people that buy where It's like, are kind of disappointed that not many people played Renegain. I'm like, then you shouldn't have written such good characters that I wanted to be friends with.
Speaker 1: Especially three three you could be so brutal. Three is three, Renegade is wild.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Like, I'm not gonna listen to my friends problems and be like, dude, I'm like really depressed right now, like my people are dying, and be like shut up and just case do that.
Speaker 2: I like, at the end of Three Girls has like this, Gars has like really cool, Like we've been bros since day one and I'm fucking proud to be your bro and finish the fight dog. So if you're like an asshole to him, like damn, like.
Speaker 4: What this might be the last time we see each other?
Speaker 2: Yeah, what the fuck was this last?
Speaker 3: Then that's so interesting, isn't it. Like even though it's a game and.
Speaker 5: It's not real, I still can't bring myself to pick the responses that I know are me and I'm like, come on, I would say that I wouldn't do it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, God blessed the people who do that and then post the results to YouTube that I can find out with the Renegade results are without actually having to do it myself. SAT series.
Speaker 2: I fucking love that ship because we all started that right when I got to game Spot because I was twenty sixteen. Yeah yeah, and I thought it was the funniest ship, Like glad someone did. I thought that it was mad funny. What was it? What was your what was Shepherd's name was?
Speaker 1: Uh no, not not truck Shepherd. That's a different thing.
Speaker 2: Uh Baldwin Baldwin, it was hell the funny damn. That's a throwback.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Pja Decker all.
Speaker 1: Right, p J Decker, Baldwin Shepherd. We had like a Baldwin Shephard, Twitter count everything, and I don't don't know there was tied to Jake's like CBS, I count, She's gone.
Speaker 4: It's like, sure, contact Twitter and somehow get it back.
Speaker 2: Who has the ham duet account? Ham is the wild throwback that I think, Oh, only me and Jean Luke know about.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think I know, all right, Yeah, I know, I know.
Speaker 2: Who it is.
Speaker 4: It was.
Speaker 2: It was John Carlo n I bet shouts out to him. It was maybe John Carlow, or it was Eddie. It was him or Eddie.
Speaker 1: It was like someone like left field that you were like, what like they had it the whole time.
Speaker 2: I thought it was Tay for a minute, but I was like, old Daddy, Tay, don't don't. Don't play like that. No more so, this is a conversation that only matters to me.
Speaker 4: There's someone listening to after Dark, right, now who's been like a day one game spot fan and they're like, yo, I haven't heard these names, and so long.
Speaker 2: Y'all remember the three ham do it fuck?
Speaker 4: All right?
Speaker 1: Well, I guess moving on to to me. Then I took it off. I'll put it back in there. I peeped the Resident Evil seven eight. God, jeez, what year is it? The Resident Evil eight demo? That time demo they had on Saturday. It was like a thirty minute demo that you could only play for eight hours. Did any of you else play it?
Speaker 4: I did not explain how timed it was, and I'm like, oh, the time was. Well, thankfully someone has posted it to GameSpot dot com, so watch it.
Speaker 3: It was.
Speaker 2: It's okay.
Speaker 1: It's a very short demo. You get like one combat sequence and then it's mostly like a cut scenes, some some story stuff, some scripted sequences.
Speaker 2: It's all right.
Speaker 1: It looks great like playing that on you know, I have PS five. I was playing it on that with my my TV and I was just like, oh, damn, this looks so good. Like the environments look amazing. Like That's one of the things I loved about Residentval Like seven was just like the tiny little details and like the house but it's like that, but it's like a whole village and you're seeing like little details in every house and you're like, oh man, I'm really bummed it's not in VR this time, because I actually played like all of seven in VR. It's like the first way I experienced that game, which was so good.
Speaker 2: That well was a wild feature video feature on gayesaw dot com too, that blew up Man. That was a twenty seventeen.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, yeah, that Think You're Dip. That's like one of those video that people were still like that was a good video.
Speaker 4: I'm like, damn it, Peete, see Village come to VR when the PSVR two headset or whatever it's going to be comes.
Speaker 1: So yeah, uh yeah, but yeah, it's I would love to see that. So the only thing I didn't like about the demo, and I'm hoping they fix it for the full release, is I thought the aiming actually felt really bad, which is kind of a crucial part of evil, right because it is the aiming, And it was one of those things where as I'm like it felt real like like sensitivity was too high, it was too floaty, and I didn't mess with the settings because it was like a time demo and I was like, I just gotta gotta keep going like whatever, like I'm gonna keep playing, I'll deal with it. But I was just sitting there and I was like, man, this just like does not feel right. And it's one of those things where you're thinking like maybe it's just me, like you know, maybe I'm just tripping, like who knows, but I immediately after the demo's overloaded up seven instantly felt better, like felt like they did. The controls just felt so much smoother. And then you pull up a game like Resonaval too, and it's like, wow, that feels even better.
Speaker 2: So something's off. I was.
Speaker 1: I was like googling it on like Reddit because I was like, did anyone else feel this way? Someone was recommending you have to like turn acceleration off, and apparently that like is way better. It's kind of weird that I unfortunately get to try it because it was like way after the demo finished. So I guess when that second demo comes out this weekend, I'll like try that and see if I feel differently about it. But uh, yeah, that was like the one thing that I was like, hmm, this doesn't feel good to shoot. It's just kind of a problem because it's Resident Evil and the comic that's such a core part, and they're putting like mercenaries in the game, which I like love mercenaries and I'm so excited about it, but I'm like, it needs to feel good if I'm if I'm gonna want to do that, So hopefully that acceleration thing fixes it or they they patch that in because it it reminded me. It's a bad comparison, cause I feel like I'm gonna sounds way more negative than I mean to be, but like it reminded me of launched Resident Evil six, and then it felt bad, Like I don't know if like people remember, but like when Reside Evil six launched, like people rip on my game for all sorts of reasons, but like I remember, like playing it, I was like, dude, these controls feel like garbage, and I was like, this is the people who made Reson evilfore, like what is this trash? And then eventually, like in patches and like new ports and stuff, like they've they've tweaked it, so it actually like does that that no longer feels bad to play, but I remember how how bad it felt when I first played it, So this unfortunately kind of reminded me of that. It was a little bit of a bummer, But I'm still hopeful that they'll fix that out or maybe I could just tweak the settings and it'll be fine.
Speaker 2: How's Vampire Lady? Uh?
Speaker 4: She wasn't.
Speaker 2: She wasn't in the demo.
Speaker 1: Uh, So I didn't get to I didn't get to see anything with her. A lot of a lot of nasty wirlf boys.
Speaker 3: So Reson Evil five is like my favorite one.
Speaker 5: And so when you know, I didn't play the earlier Resident Evils till like way after I played five, and I struggled so hard using the controls and like the original games. But what I will say from what I watched from our playthrough of it was that it felt more like the originals visually. I don't know if that's because it was in a village again or what, but I was like, wow, this like kind of reminds me of when I was rolling through and Ben was like, hey, you can get that key down without dropping it in the well, and I immediately shot it and it fell in the well, and I was like, well, there goes that. I was like this totally reminds me of the area. So I was like, visually, it reminded me of the older Resident Evils, like immediately, but I haven't like got my hands on it yet, so I wouldn't be able to speak to that.
Speaker 3: But it's interesting that.
Speaker 5: You said that the older controls even fell better than this newer one.
Speaker 2: So yeah, it's weird.
Speaker 1: Just like I don't know for like playing because like I said, I went back and immediately played seven. I was like, it just feels better. So I'm not really sure what's what exactly is going on with that because I assumed it would just feel the same as seven, Like I said, hopefully, hopefully they iron that out. Uh So, the other game I've been playing is Returnal. It's not out yet. It comes out I think in like a week or two, but we we have a little preview. We're able to talk about the first two biomes of the game, which encompasses around like you know, the first couple hours.
Speaker 2: Uh So, I don't know.
Speaker 1: About you, guys, I pretty much knew nothing about this game going in. I knew it was made by house Mark, who've made some like really excellent stuff for like PlayStation. They made like Reso gun nic some nice shoot them ups, some nice schmups, although they're not actually technically schmups, but yeah right, yeah they're good shoot him ups. Peter Brown would would smack you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean I smacked him if you watched uh, if you watched uh game. So Extra Life twenty eight or nineteen. I felt really bad because he was my manager at the time too, and I was like, damn.
Speaker 4: This might come back to bite me.
Speaker 2: Achievement on lock.
Speaker 1: That's the Extra Life. The rules go out the window.
Speaker 2: It's like, uh, you know, ain't nobody nobody's manager. But what's the term.
Speaker 1: It's like when uh, like even's the playing field? No, no, no, Like when when you go to like like waters that are owned by any borders, It's like, that's what extra.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's like we're all sovereign citizens. Yeah, exactly, Like rules don't apply any no government out here the time laws. You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm this Extra Life. Hope we get to do a proper a proper Extra life sometime soon.
Speaker 2: Back's gang you know the vibes for real.
Speaker 5: I missed office so much, Like I'm like, it's a disconnected from the team man.
Speaker 2: But yeah, I've been playing.
Speaker 1: I've been Playter Reternal, and like I said, I knew pretty much nothing about it. It is a like it is just straight up a roguelike, like it is a high budget like Triple A looking Hades or you know.
Speaker 2: Risk Rain two.
Speaker 1: Risk of Rain two is actually a very excellent example because Risk Rain two is like third person and three D, which this is as well.
Speaker 2: But where Risk of.
Speaker 1: Rain two I think is kind of doing its own thing, where where you're like constantly kind of like recycling through waves of enemies and you're you're moving from like map to map and map. This is like, oh, this is just straight up like traditional like a nuclear throne or like a rogue legacy where you go into a room, have enemies kill them, and then like okay, I'm gonna there's a power up here that's randomly generated. I'm gonna pick I'm gonna go through this door, and then another room is randomly generated.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so like.
Speaker 1: Hades, and but it's all this like gorgeous, like big budget like Sony Batched, like you know Triple A experience where you have I mean, so the premise is basically the woman whose name I admittedly do not recall at the moment, but she crashes on this planet basically finds out that she's been there before because she finds like a corpse of her self, and then it's like what is going on? And then every time you die, it just resets right back at the crash and then you keep going, so the the the loop is built into the narrative, and there's like this mystery of like what's going on and why is she here that I, at least so far, feels pretty compelling. It's like they're they're seating enough things in there where you're like, okay, like I want to keep going a little bit further to see what the deal is. Like they're getting like little like Kojima level trippy, where like you'll find like her house and then you like go inside and it switches to like first person and it looks like pt for like a minute, and you're like clicking on things and they're they're creeping in some like.
Speaker 2: Horror elements, not full on horror, butch just.
Speaker 1: Like like she opens up the window and there's like a dude in an astronaut suit like just staring at her, and you're.
Speaker 2: Like psychological thriller element.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, that's a good that's a good term for it. So like that stuff is like okay, like I wanted what's going on, so I'm like hooked onto that. Uh. But then it's just got like those really good roguelike hooks where you know you're picking up both permanent power ups as well as temporary stuff.
Speaker 2: You'll they work.
Speaker 1: In like the fact that you're on this alien planet. So for example, you'll get like you'll pick up like parasites that'll attach themselves to your arm and they like work with your suits, so they'll give you a positive and a negative attribute. So it's like, hey, this parasite, uh, the one I picked up made it so that if my health ever got way too low, it would auto refill my health both back up to like a certain point, which is super super clutch. But then the trade off was my dash in my melee took longer uh to cool down, so I had to be more careful. I couldn't just like rapid use my dash anymore. So they have like interesting trade offs like that. And then the enemies are just like straight up like bullet hell style like near automata just like here are the flying bullets patterns like you're.
Speaker 2: Excuse you, but you have like a gun.
Speaker 1: You have like a gun, and you're as you go, you're picking up different weapons and you're you're making it's the classic rogue like you're constantly making trade off decisions like do I want to pick up this gun or do I want to keep going? Uh? Should I spend my money on this upgrade? I might get something good, I might get something bad, like random draw. I really like it so far.
Speaker 2: It's it's a really good, good.
Speaker 1: Roguelike, and I I'm curious to see what the reception is because I feel like they're just outside of like, you know, it's it's been a big thing. Sony's been showing it on their I think they had like the PS five reveal and and some of their state of play stuff, But I feel like for the most part, this game's kind of been flying under the radar, like not too many people have talked about it. So I'm curious what the reception is. But I think people who got like really into games like Haites and Rogue Legacy and Nuclear Thrown like Mechanically are probably going to have a really, really good time with this game. It's scratching all those itches.
Speaker 4: And does it utilize the what's it called the dual sense for anything?
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, so it uses the adaptive triggers. When you hold down the left trigger, if you just feather it a little bit, you'll aim and you'll do your basic shot. And if you hold it down, you'll switch to an alternate fire on your weapon.
Speaker 4: So that's really cool.
Speaker 2: That sounds like kind of a big deal.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, it's cool, and like the alternate fire will change depending on the weapon you get or it's ran my So one of them was like, oh, I could love a grenade, or I can like shoot like a lightning bolt for like a certain period of time, or I had this like weird, I don't know, it's like alien tentacle goo that would like hit people.
Speaker 2: Gross, dude.
Speaker 1: There's a lot of they're definitely going for that, like hr Giger kind of gross alien environment stuff, although not explicitly in a way that's like like some things are like, oh, okay, you guys watched Aliens and you're explicitly copying it, but like a little more a little more subtle, I would say. And also the environments do change, like the first environment is very much like alien wet forest, but then the second environment is like this super like bright red desert that you're going through these alien ruins of and yeah, so like already like the environmental mix is good.
Speaker 5: Oh.
Speaker 1: Also, they got this cool online feature where it's like dark Souls. You'll you'll find like people who've died when you're playing online, and it's like you can like see their death. But when you activate it, it's like, hey, do you want to like avenge this person? And if you like, yeah, I want to avenge him, and then whatever killed them will spawn into your game and you have to it, which is how I actually died last night because I was like, yeah, I could take this song and then this like giant tentacle like it's like a weird metal box which just like tentacles coming out of it, and it was like fifty feet tall, and just like spawned.
Speaker 4: You're like, oh, that's why.
Speaker 1: A good run going too, And I probably could have kept going, and I was like, I made a mistake.
Speaker 2: I should have done this.
Speaker 1: The second I spawned, I knew. I was like, oh, I should have just kept going. I shouldn't have tried to tried to avenge them, but.
Speaker 2: That's what happens.
Speaker 1: So yeah, I so far. I'm extremely impressed that. I think it's great. If you like Roguelikes, I definitely think it's worth checking out if you have a PS five.
Speaker 2: What was one of the games you compared it to, Hades Broke Likes. Yeah, yea, damn nut here.
Speaker 4: I thought we were gonna get away from this.
Speaker 2: TAM's inside not not physically weird, spiritually.
Speaker 4: About that?
Speaker 5: All right?
Speaker 1: Anyway, Michael Higham, what have you been playing?
Speaker 2: All right? It's from jokes to sadness. Let me tell you about Near Replicant. Last week, I was talking a little bit about my preview for Near Replicant. Review of Bargo is up the day after this recording, But since you all listen to on a Friday, the review would have been live for a day at this point, and Near Replicant fucked me up, man, like I wouldn't want it any other way. Uh shit, how do I say this? Your boys have been going through some ship, and Near is a game that if you're going through some ship, it might be the game that you don't want to play or the perfect game depends on how you how you cope with sadness. For me, I like to just like, yo, fuck me up, just like it's cathartic to me to just like feel like if I'm if I feel like I'm going through some shit, I just want to like gay, Like I listened to sad music when I when I'm sad because it's cathartic to me. And I think that I've also come to find games that I also find kind of sad, but I'll like uplifting at the same time, because it's like you can't just have like ship sadness and darkness the entire time, like there has to be a purpose that you earn through it. A lot of people go through shit in Near and like, Yo, fuck man. I'm excited to see what people think of the story and Near replicant because like, obviously everyone loves Near Automata and it has like such a tremendous following, but not many people played the original Near, and I'd only picked up the original, like Yo, Near Automata is like one of my favorite games of all time, And I only picked up the original Near because Tam bought it for me earlier this year, and I was like, like it's gameplay wise, Near is extremely dated. And so the thing with Near Replicant is that it revamps to combat system, so it plays like a Platinum game, but structurally, like the quest structure and the level level design has not changed at all. So it's like kind of this uncanny valley where you have a really really good combat system, but the levels are like the the the encounter design and some of the like the things that you have to do in the game are very much what the original PS three and Xbox three sixty game was. So it does feel a little bit weird to play. I enjoy it. I don't. I like, I kind of I recognize how it's antiquated, and it's kind of it is antiquated in that way, but for me, it's it's good enough to play. I enjoy playing it. But I also say in my review that the gameplay is in service of its story, and that's honestly, like, if you're playing a near game, or if you're playing a game like this, that's what you're here for. And I said, I open up my review saying that Near Automatave is about about androids kind of finding their humanity, whereas Near Replicant is like people trying to hold on to whatever humanity they have left. And I think it's a really good contrast between what we know you're near Automata to be, and a lot of people might be surprised by what Near Replicant represents. It's really endearing and it's very character focused because like you have an Automotay, you have nine S two be and eventually A two, and you kind of don't necessarily have a connection with them until late in the game because that's how they come to understand themselves. For Near Replicant, you play a character who's doing his doing anything he possibly can to save his sister, and then he meets characters like Kaye and Emial who are also like extremely different from one another, but they're all kind of like fighting the same battle in a way. Like a Meal and Kane are some of my favorite characters of all time, and they've been through some fucking shit. It's really traumatizing, or their stories are very traumatizing, but I think a lot of people are gonna identify with those sorts of things. Like there's it's hard not to talk about without spoiling it, but I will say that a Meal and Kane I think are like some of my favorite characters of all time, especially a Meal, like yo, fuck ah, there's this moment, and there's this moment in halfway through the game that a Meal goes through and I remember playing on stream with the original Near and like I was like fucking ball and alive on stream. I don't give about fuck man because it has a lot to do with how people struggle with identity. It's really earnest, which is like it surprised me, Like here's this Japanese game from a long time ago, and like you've had games like Persona four Golden try to tackle those sorts of themes and like fumble them in really critical ways. As much as I love that game, whereas the original Near hit hit those notes so so subtly but also just like so effectively as well, And like people are gonna get that now because the original leader, Like I don't I don't know if many people would want to go back to that, to that game. But here's this new release where it captures everything that the original game was and I'm excited to see what people think of that. And like that shit fucked me up, dog, Like I'm not I'm gonna lie. And the thing is like that world is so so it's intense with just grief, and it's sad, and it feels it feels sad to be there. But there's something that always drives you, and it's the like the people around you, that keep driving you want to uncover the mystery. But in as you try to save your sister, you learn more about the book, the floating book grim Marvice, who is just like the silly he he he acts like he hates everyone, but deep down inside he he knows he loves everyone. It's and the thing about the grim Marvis who is the floating book, I think that he is adorable. He's like an old Liam O'Brien. If you all know Liam O'Brien, he voiced Grimoarvice, and he's like this old British man who just like hates everyone, but by the by the end he like that that kind of trope flips flips around. And I don't say this, I don't know who says this about a floating talking book, but Grimmore Device is so fucking adorable because of the animations, the animations of the way the book floats and opens his pages while he talks, and like his mannerisms. There's there's so many subtleties in the animation of Grimoarvice that speaks so much to the character. And there there's this, oh my god, the ending to this the multiple endings to this fucking game. Oh my god, dude. Ah, it's it's it's a lot. It's intense, and I want to I want to like reach out to people, be like, you know, the gameplay stuff might wear you down, but to earn the extra endings because you know how near is there's route they're not I wouldn't call them endings the more like routes. So there's Route A, and there's Route B, and then the third time you go through it have C and D endings. And then there's an extra there's an extra route that you can unlock. I'm not gonna say how, Folks will probably find out eventually, but because you know how Yokatar does, if you're familiar with his work, if you're familiar with in your automata, you know what I'm talking about. And there's an extra there's an extra like two hour scenario that's not in the original game. And I played through it recently, like right before I started writing my review. I like, I have to see this final ending, and it's it's a lot, man, it's a lot, especially if you if you got any love for Automata, like Yo, New Applicants gonna fuck you up. It's because it's so different. It's so different. Like when I went into the original Near, I was expecting to see like the seeds of what Automatave eventually became. But Near is very the original one is very much its own thing, even though it shares a lot of the same themes, a lot of same characters. And I remember a lot from Near Automata, from like the logs and the things that you learn about that world, and then I'm seeing it in the original Near, and it's a lot of it is fun, is clicking, and it's this really weird revelatory thing to kind of see the things that I thought I knew about in Automata, but like watching the how the origins of it unfold in this new game, it's it's it's a very powerful thing, at least to me, it is. Yeah, it's a I didn't expect it to be so character focused, but Yo, like Kaye and a meal is a meal is like one of my favorite characters of all the time. I'm not gonna lie. I'm I feel like I say that often, but you might I never But like, I know I know a good character when I see one, and I think that I've said this on the last episodes. I'm very deliberate with how I spend time with games. I only spend time with games that I know that are going to pay off to me. So I was like, Okay, I'm gonna play it original Near, Like if I don't like it, at least I know where the origins of Automata came from. But I didn't know that that they went that hard on the original. In the original game, like emil Is, he's such a sweetheart, and the voice actor Juliane Taylor does such an incredible job of portraying such wholesomeness and like the power of friendship, bro, Like shit, you know me is the power friendship?
Speaker 4: Yo?
Speaker 2: Any game that that does the power friendship in like the best way possible. Near is one of those games. And it's I don't know, man, like, just come on, y'all, just play this ship. Yeah, it's it's I'm I'll never forget it. It's it's it's unforgettable cast of characters. They're so well done, they're so different. The voice performances Laura Bailey, Liam O'Brien, and Juliane Taylor are oh.
Speaker 4: My god, Y know this that has some good talent yea, Oh my god.
Speaker 2: And I think I think a lot of people will get something out of it because it has a lot to say about, Like, here's this world full of mysterious thing science and magic, power and whatever. The fuck the end of Dragon Guard one, all of a sudden became Near and like, what the fuck does that mean? There's a lot of there's a lot of that, and that's that's stuff is fascinating. But at its heart, Near is a very human game, and I think a lot of people are gonna be able to relate to it. Dude.
Speaker 1: This is like it's probably my most anticipated game of the of the year because like, I mean, I'm with you, Like I fucking like Near Automata is like top top shit, right like that that game is so good and it like like I am I'm ready for this game to just absolutely destroy me, you know, in the same way that like and it's like I'm like there's that part of me that's like ah, you know, like kind of like what you're saying, Oh, I know what to expect. Like I played I played, you know, Automata, and like that game, you know, threw me off guard, but this time, I'm ready, Yo, Katar, like I know what's up.
Speaker 2: But it's like no, I probably no, you're not. I super don't. I'm sure I don't. But I think I've even like, like I'm pretty sure.
Speaker 1: I like watched a video that like actually talked about it and like said some of the story beats, but like I had like no context for any of it, and I like, forget half of that video, and I'm like, so I'm just like I'm ready.
Speaker 2: I'm ready for you to like, like, I will reiterate that the game can be very tedious from a gameplay standpoint, Like some of the boss battles are really really good, but the things like the the the level at which you need to repeat content in order to see everything can be a little can wear you down. But if you ever, if you if you get to that point, please just push through it. It's worth it. It's easily one of the biggest flaws of the game. But like I accept that and I recognize that and I say as much in my review, but man, the payoff is payoff is incredible. And the fucking soundtrack, Oh my god, Like dude, Like the soundtrack is the one the thing that seals it all, Like that's that's kind of it's kind of like the thing that holds it all together, because even when nothing is necessarily happening in the story, the soundtrack music is kind of telling you how you're supposed to be feeling in that moment. And there's just like some incredible tracks that you can listen on your own, and there are some tracks that are very indicative of the moments that are also part of kind of how they personify the certain characters in the game, especially with Kane and Emil. And there are some songs that if you are really really into Near Automata, when you make the connection between certain songs that are in this game and some of those songs that are in Automeda, that will fuck you up as well. Because I mean, I say that Near Near Replicant and Near Automeda are quite different from each other, but of course they're them being so closely connected. There are very strong threads between the two, and one of them is a lot of the music and when you when you realize that, like it'll hit you out of nowhere because god damn it. Man, like I I man yo katar kok I hate y'all. Also, I'm talking to Yokotaro next week, so we'll see how that goes. You know. The first time I asked him was like, Hey, you think you think it's cool to make me cry? Do you think it's cool? Tell me?
Speaker 4: I'm gonna actually try with this one. Michael. There there is just like a running theme where every game that like Michael talks about, I'm like, man, this sounds exactly up my alley. Yaka is a persona Final Fantasy fourteen. And then Michael is like, yeah, it's just like one hundred and twenty hours. I'm extremely good. I'm like, that is way too long for a game. So I end up not playing them.
Speaker 2: How many hours I put into Apex, soone them like check your check your little luck.
Speaker 4: Look, I only have to play Apex for like thirty true's you know what, It's fair. But I'm gonna try with this one. I'm going to try to get through.
Speaker 2: It's it's funny because I think this is the one that will they'll have most people drop off because of how ready they can get.
Speaker 4: Yes, but you told me that it's only like forty hours, which I'm like, I can do that. I can get through forty hours. I got through Assassins Creed Haul in like five days. I I can I can get through.
Speaker 2: You're replicat, That's that's true too, like George Jordan's Jordan's a world course when it comes, like when you review ship like you don't fuck around. Man. I have a Shiman got me Tense three Nocturn also on here, but I still very early on it. I don't have much to say other than it it's a that's a it's SMT three that.
Speaker 1: That's another one that I'm I'm so curious to play because I've never played, uh SMT three, but it's like that's like the one that people are always like, dude, like if you've got to play an SMT game, like this is the one, like this this is the big one, and yeah it's really good. Yeah, someone who loves Persona and even like older personas like I've played like Persona two and one, which are have more of those SMT roots, Like it feels like it's not my Alley.
Speaker 2: So yeah, it was really.
Speaker 4: Cool as they're talking about at all, like oh shit, what is this game?
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's Shiman Got Me Tense is a the original. It's like the je John like you're you're You're probably just as familiar as I am with sure. Yeah.
Speaker 1: I mean like SMT is like the how I describe it.
Speaker 2: Source material of like Persona is a spin off of SMT.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: SMT is like the weird like.
Speaker 1: Goth middle RPG, like goth RPG, like everyone's like I'm here playing Final Fantasy and then like SMTS over here like summoning Demons and devil shit.
Speaker 2: You know, the vibes with each other like low key you like fucking you, like, uh, what's what's another, Lucifer, this is your gang right here. You know what I'm saying. It's like it's very metal.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's extremely metal. And like those older games are like hell A Dark and like touch on some like real series like Demonic subject Matter and the Persona games are gonna spin off of that, and you know, uh, the the later Persona games got way more like kind of like poppy and fun, and I mean I love those games, but like there's always like this this this weird resentment that like older SMT fans have for like modern Persona fans because they're like, fuck y'all, fools, and you're weird Ja Cob.
Speaker 2: And I'm like, fuck y'all. But SMT's fire. Yeah, I'm like, can't we just have can't we have both?
Speaker 1: Can't we just all love each other?
Speaker 2: Like I want J Pop and J Roth, but I also want like I'm down with loose friendship, like come on, let's get it.
Speaker 1: But uh, but s m T three Nocturn is like the the big one that like everyone always points to. Is like if you were to play an SMT game, like this is the one, it's uh uh it's the one that the featuring Dante from Devia may Crime meme comes from. Like that's that's s m T three. They had like a crossover shout out to the PlayStation blog who uh we mastered that uh stick that sticker, which I blessed them for that.
Speaker 2: Like damn, I wonder how how how much Capcom had to get involved with that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so they uh he was like a special Uh I forget it was just the English version or if it was in both, but yeah, he is like a special fight that they added into s m T three and he's in the remaster version as well, so it's like Dovile May Cry two Definite May Cry. So it's like the Dante no one cares about, which is like weird, like yeah, but yeah, Like it's got that Demon ship. It's got like all all the personas from like persona. Three percent of four are the demons from the s m T games. Like that's like sort of like the cross kind of like how cool. Like every Final Fantasy game has like the you know, the summons and stuff that are like, oh, these all carry over from each game, like like Jack Frost is like you know, he's in every every s m T game, or you know Lucifer Mara.
Speaker 2: Mara Sam tomorrowing big ass Dick. It's the Demon that's just the big ass.
Speaker 1: Dick on a chariot, a on a like on like a golden wagon chariot.
Speaker 4: It's something.
Speaker 1: But yeah, I've never I've i've never played I've never played it, and I'm I'm very much looking forward to just seeing what it's all about.
Speaker 2: It's a it has voice acting now, which I think is really good. Okay, cool, that's that's good here because the original did not have any voice acting, but the sound quality of the music is exactly as you ran from the PS two days. So there's this really wild, uncanny valley between Oh, this has like high quality voice acting and also has the sound quality. This ship sounds like it's playing in like ninety six kilobytes. Like, what the fuck is going on here? It's really weird. Like it's fine because like the game is still good, but like, what are we doing here?
Speaker 1: They not have like access to the masters anymore, I.
Speaker 2: Guess, not like HD remastered everything except for the how it sounds.
Speaker 4: Should we do music?
Speaker 2: No, it's fine, It's like shit it it's uh, I don't know. It's still that game, so it's still good. It's just you kind of maybe wanted a little bit more from an HD remaster, at least so far. But I'm just playing it. I'm enjoying it. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Well, all right then, I think we're gonna move on over to topics. All right, We're gonna keep this brief because we actually got to get out of here somewhat soon. But there's only really one big thing to talk about, and that is the fact that Sony backpedaling on the store shutdown for the PS three and Vita. I gotta be honest, I wasn't expecting this at all. I figured like they were just gonna stick to their guns on that one. And yeah, I mean it's a pretty short blog. There's like not much to say about it. On their end, there was like a thing from Jim Ryan, who's the president's CEO CEO of Sony Interactive Entertainment, who just said, recently we notified players at the PlayStation store for PS three and PS Vita devices, was planning to end this summer. Upon further reflection, it's clear we made the wrong decision here. So today I'm happy to say that we'll be keeping the PlayStation store operation for PS three and PSVDA devices. However, the PSP commerce functionality will retire on July second one, as planned. All I can say to that is, uh, I'm glad I didn't go fucking buck wild and buy all those PS three games. Like literally, I was on vacation last week. I made like a list of like every PS three game and every Vita game I wanted to buy, and I was like, all right, time to start spending some money. And I have bought a couple of things, but I like was like, I should you know, pace myself. I got a few months still before, you know, I don't want to blow my paycheck in one go. And now I'm like, whoo dot you the fucking bullet on that one.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, this is surprising because the way like Sony's probably like, yeah, we're gonna do the shit. We don't know what fuck what anyone says. But I mean, like I, yo, I still used a PS three store in Vita store, like yo, don't do this now or ever, like damn. I played SMT three the original because I bought it on PS three on the digital store like three years ago. I remember my twenty eighth twentieth birthday party. I was sitting in my living room swinging a bottle of Henessy playing shit, MA got me Tense three nocturn my PS three, motherfucker, don't shut that shit down. And then even recently, well when I was going to Packs twenty nineteen West or twenty twenty East or whatever the fuck last time we was able to go out and about I was playing Persona Too Innocent Sin because I bought it on Vida that was a PSP version, but I bought on Vita that year. There's a lot of good shit that you can't shut down dog like come on, uh like come on, yeah, yeah, although.
Speaker 4: I think we have to like also just talk about the fact that I think the only thing that PlayStation has really learned from this is that we were too loud and shut trying to shut down these stores. We got to be more quiet and sneaky about this in the like, Wow, you're not right. There's there's no way that they don't try to shut down the Vita in PS three store again before the PlayStation six comes out, like in the next like three to five years, they try to do this again. There's I I don't think they just leave them open for forever.
Speaker 2: But it's also like if you're gonna do that, you've got to have rehourse, like, Okay, this you're gonna be able to We're gonna give you access to these games. They're gonna work on the new platforms exactly.
Speaker 4: Well basically what Xbox is doing where it's like the Xbox One Marketplace just transitioned into the series X like marketplace. Sony just doesn't have something like that, so they have to take something like that up like all their place, all their PlayStations, use different online marketplaces exactly. It's not connected.
Speaker 2: So yeah, it's funny you bring that up.
Speaker 1: It's like you they have like PS now, which a lot of PS three games do exist on that, but I mean one is the streaming service, so you're not actually owning the game or even playing it like on your platform. You're you're streaming it.
Speaker 2: So that's some of you can you can download locally, but not not all of them.
Speaker 1: And I and I don't know if you can do that with a lot of the PS three games, but even then I was checking it. They don't even have every They have most of them, like most of the big ones, but they don't have everything. For example, they do not have Ratchet and Clank Tools of Destruction, the First Future trilogy. It was not on PS now.
Speaker 2: I checked.
Speaker 4: It's a ratchet and clank game. I know, not the biggest franchise in the world, but like still the first.
Speaker 1: Party sony like and I was and maybe I'm wrong if someone wants to prove me I'm wrong, but like, well, I was checking because I specifically was looking through and seeing like okay, what do they have? And I was looking through and they had all the other ratcheting clanks, they had cracking Time, they had a quest for Booty one for all into the Nexus. They didn't have Tools of Destruction, and I was like, what the heck, why don't they have Tools of Destruction on here? I think they only had Resistance three. They didn't have Resistance one and two, which I mean, like, like, I'm not saying those games are like fantastic and everyone should go back and replay them. You know, Resistance was like a launch game for the PS three and you know, all right back then but kind of rough now, but like you still need a way to keep that shit alive, you know, like to preserve that history for those games. So I'm glad that stuff still exists for now, but I'm with you, Jordan, like.
Speaker 2: Matter of time.
Speaker 4: Man hopefully comes up with a solution before that next time comes up, and they're like, oh, and we found a way to port most, if not all, of the PlayStation three titles to the store that the PlayStation five uses. And we're gonna just follow Xbox's lead and just be like we're just gonna continually update this one marketplace and use it for all our consoles from here on out. And I'm not quite sure how you save the Vita. That might just be a net loss that they have to take, but.
Speaker 5: Just kind of make another Vita, Beata Classic, same ship.
Speaker 2: But like, I don't know.
Speaker 4: It just looks like a PlayStation branded switch or something.
Speaker 2: Like that Yo Vita's fire man fu dude.
Speaker 4: I wonder if PlayStation ever looks at the switch and they're like, what the fuck?
Speaker 2: Why is this.
Speaker 4: Doing so well?
Speaker 2: Like market that thing? Man? I dude, I love the Viata. I have a Vita. I love the Vita.
Speaker 1: It is such a good like device, Like the actual like making quality of that thing is like so good.
Speaker 4: You had good games like Gravity Rush and stuff.
Speaker 1: Like that, like oh Gravity, And I think Sony just didn't know what to do with it. I don't think they knew what to do with that thing. Like the hardware team came out and they said, like, look at this thing. It's fire and they're like, I don't.
Speaker 2: Know, like I feel like and then like like I feel like, yeah, A lot of the first part herself is like, let's recreate console games on this. We'll put Uncharted on it.
Speaker 4: But that's like but Uncharted on the PlayStation console will be a new handheld like yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and it tries to be a console game, but it's like like you don't.
Speaker 4: Nintendo's just like look handheld and home console all in one and wow.
Speaker 1: Like they needed to lean into the their their market because like all the visual novel people came in and said, like, dude, let's show you what's up, Like we'll put that, We'll put you know, Dong and Rappa, We're gonna put it on there, all this like anime bullshit, We're gonna put it on there.
Speaker 2: Like somebody.
Speaker 4: They had found a way to put Bloodborn on PlayStation Vita.
Speaker 1: Wow, that is that would be I can't even imagine the frame rate on that.
Speaker 2: It could be. It could be the the y'all been keeping up with the Bloodborne p s one D make that has been creating. Yeah ship you sell mad Vitas at that point.
Speaker 1: What if what if they made a Vita two and they're like blood Born to exclusively on VTA two.
Speaker 4: People would buy People would buy it.
Speaker 2: That's how you do push. That's how you push.
Speaker 4: Everyone who's like a PlayStation fan and loves their first party titles. Once blood Born to, Like, if you want to sell a system.
Speaker 5: That's how you do Itam's gonna be like first.
Speaker 1: Line, Yeah, hand them out to people. Make sure everyone gets a chands. All right, we're gonna move on to a few listener questions. We're gonna keep this pretty quick, so probably only not gonna get through everything, but we'll save them for next time.
Speaker 2: If you want to do I want to do the one from Rio? You want to do the one from Yeah? Excellent?
Speaker 1: If you have any particular ones you want to do so yeah, if you if you want to do, send your own listener question. You can hit us up at after Dark Podcasts at redventures dot com, or you can join our lovely discord where all of these questions this week are from. Just hit up me or Lucy on Twitter and we will get you in there. All right, So Michael want you to read Maria's question.
Speaker 2: Oh shit, I know he was going first, but A shouts out to Maria A serious business. That's that's the homegirl right there. Let's see, you're throwing a pot look party and can invite three video game character who will choose a food dish from their game universe. Who do you invite and what food do they bring? Oh? Oh my God, this is this is this is a heavy question.
Speaker 4: It is because you have to be characters that you would get along with, characters that will get along with each other and try to kill each other. Characters can come from world that have good food, and it has to be food that actually like goes together. Like there's there's layers to this question.
Speaker 2: This question is a lot. It's heavy.
Speaker 5: Fuck.
Speaker 2: I would uh Mina from Battle Chef Brigade.
Speaker 4: Oh that's a good one.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, that that's the first thing that came to mind for me. I don't remember what they cook. Some nasty shit over there, but a girl match three, I'll eat it. I don't care. She's she's the one. Oh I love her, Yo, Mina's she's dope. Cooking mama, I I don't know. I I think cooking mama.
Speaker 3: Is you know.
Speaker 2: I like her. I think she's very attractive and I would wife her up. But what no, you do not get to gloss past that, and she would bring like I feel like cooking. Let me let me look this up. Real quick cooking mama, cooking.
Speaker 4: Mama, judgmental cooking mama. Like, oh, you almost did so well, you got ninety eight percent ride it's like, shit, the hell up?
Speaker 3: Like that?
Speaker 4: I feel like mama.
Speaker 2: I feel like cooking Mama can cook like fire Filipino food, so or at least she can bring curry at least there So cooking Mama can bring curry and ship. Who else can cook? Who's uh? I would want Kuryu, a cosmic Curriu, to bring ramen because he used to work at a ramen stand in Yakuza fi he knows how to make him he did, It's true.
Speaker 4: Yeah, there you go.
Speaker 2: That's my answers.
Speaker 4: I hadn't thought of Mina, and now that Michael has said Mina, I kind of feel like I also have to say the fact that she can somehow make somewhat delicious food out of like nasty monster creatures somehow someway, I'm like, and she could probably turn anything good. So I can invite almost anyone to come along with Mina and she can make the entire dinner tastes good. Okay, So I have to do. I gotta have Mina in there. The game's not out yet. Some cheating with this, but there's a game coming to Xbox this August called soup Pot, and it stars someone who lives in the Philippines who's stuck inside during COVID, and they spend their time as passing the time by ordering ingredients and learning how to cook Filipino food and stuff like that and streaming it to their families. So instead of you getting a grade like oh, you did good job, it's like your aunties and uncles being like, hell yeah, way too much salt. What the hell's wrong with you?
Speaker 2: Nothing is more fire than the And then my aunties Dina go on like, let's what's this game called Jordan?
Speaker 4: What's this It's coming to Xbox and a PC in August. It was It was one of the soup pot super It was one of those games hidden in the four hour ID at Xbox Live stream that Xbox had.
Speaker 2: That sounds really cool. Yeah, oh I think, Oh Ship, I know one of the developers who worked on this game. She's dope yo super shoup Let's fucking go baby.
Speaker 4: So yeah, I bring along that protagonist character they can work with Mina. Get some good Filipino food in there, then.
Speaker 2: Ship, I'll Ship, I'll cook you Filipino food. Jordan, let's go.
Speaker 4: I would love that. I've been getting like fast food takeout like all this week and I feel like a slob.
Speaker 2: I'll cookie some nice dog I got you, baby, I.
Speaker 4: Am going to you know what, I it's gonna this is like a weird poll, but I have like the sinking suspicion that Ramia Parak Rampart and Apex Legends would be like a really cool person to hang out with and she would probably actually like bring some pretty good uh Indian food to the table. I'm kind of like here for that. So yeah, I'm gonna say those three characters.
Speaker 3: This is a tough question.
Speaker 2: Tough questions, a tough question.
Speaker 5: I mean, definitely, I'm a hit up lifeline and I'm gonna be like, Yo, bring those cookies girls.
Speaker 2: It's good. Yes, Yo, she can come through with the wild beef patties.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, Like she's gotta be that.
Speaker 2: She's got to be there, pretty goat, y'all, let's go. Jamaican's out there.
Speaker 5: I'm like, who else character wized? Do I know that cooks like a specialty dish? You know, I'm just trying.
Speaker 4: Like a mission where it's like, oh, you have to go somewhere to get the food to bring it back to like the chef to make food for the rest of everyone in your party. I'm like, I can't remember any of the cooks, not mass Effect, not Dragon Age anything.
Speaker 5: Okay, so this one is basically going to be like super horrible, and no, I doubt anyone's can even gonna remember this game because it.
Speaker 3: Was an old like educational.
Speaker 5: Jumpstart game where you were a friends like you were this girl and then in your big crazy house you had all this robot crew. So I would invite the robot crew because they had a kitchen staff from the robot crew, and you would go in there and they.
Speaker 3: Would teach you like measurements and stuff.
Speaker 5: That was the educational part, Like you go in the kitchen, all these ingredients come down the line and you got to.
Speaker 3: Get the right measurements and you gotta make this stuff. And then I'm inviting the whole crew. They were cool. The girl who lived there, she was a menace. So you know they deserve a day out. They could come to the cookout and chill. They could bring the cakes. Man, I got a lot of pastries at my I.
Speaker 2: Respect it.
Speaker 3: If it's a group cookout, then you know my squad's got the sweets on lock.
Speaker 5: So Elf forte is a chef, but he's a horrible chef. But I feel like, you know, I can't just leave out my you know, Mexican homie like that. I still got to invite him.
Speaker 2: He's on his way up.
Speaker 3: He's trying to learn how to be a better chef. You know, I got to respect the grind. You know, you gotta support your friends when they're at the bottom, so that we're in there.
Speaker 4: At the top.
Speaker 2: Yeah, if he if he bring, if you bring like the wild like if you fuck up his h like carne soada, like you could have to be like, oh, you know, this is good.
Speaker 4: Dog. I appreciate the effort.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I felt like he would be a good company.
Speaker 5: And you know, if it's a cookout in the backyard, we gonna have some backyard wrestling while it's.
Speaker 2: Dang.
Speaker 4: I'll try to exercise after I'm about to pass out.
Speaker 1: So for mine, I was thinking I would bring, uh so girou Sojo is gonna bring his curry and some coffee for everyone.
Speaker 4: You know, enjoy a wait, curry and coffee. You're gonna have spicy curry and coffee. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Absolutely. Word on the street is that's that's a fire combo.
Speaker 4: It'll be a fire combo when it's coming out for sure.
Speaker 2: Then I was gonna.
Speaker 1: I was gonna because we're probably gonna do outside, So I figured we'll bring Link from Breath of the Wild in I mean that dude can make Oh my god, that's such a good Yeah, like, you got so many options. I've been looking at all his stuff and.
Speaker 2: I was like, oh man, he's like even dubious food, dubious dishes.
Speaker 1: Man, you can do dubious food. Was vegetable risotto, the carrot stew, Like, oh, there's so many options.
Speaker 2: How you got the guardian keys? You can you can mount a guardian exactly has another while throwback r P robins.
Speaker 4: Have just destroyed someone. Someone's gonna go.
Speaker 1: Uh. And then I figured I was gonna invite Tally and she was gonna.
Speaker 2: Bring the tequila. Oh ship, that's right, y'all. Tally Tally knows how to make a fine tequila drink. Yeah, Italian how to turn up because she got like Hallo faded in the Citadel DLC or something. Is that a spoiler this pint?
Speaker 1: Because multiple times in three but in in the Cidel DLC in particular, she gets it's like progressively more drunk.
Speaker 4: It going to be so hard to not post a bunch of like images and gifts from Mass Effect when Legendary just comes out, because you know a bunch of people are going to be playing that game for the first time.
Speaker 2: It's like the fuck, Like we've been talking about this shit for the past ten years, Like you've.
Speaker 4: Had your chance.
Speaker 2: That's just hello, funny. Yeah, that's that's a good that's a good call though. Damn. I like that question because we've got we've got a nice variety here. We got a lot of a lot of ethnic dishes that we can bring through the vibes.
Speaker 1: Well, unfortunately, I think we're gonna have to call it there. Well, like I said, we'll save the rest of the questions for later. But thank you everyone you submitted them. Keep submitting the questions.
Speaker 2: We do love it.
Speaker 1: Like I said, you can do that at after Dark podcast at readventures dot com, or you can join our lovely discord and submit them as well. And that's going to do it for this episode, episode ninety of After Dark. We're so close to one hundred, guys, just a couple of weeks.
Speaker 4: Remember when Jake first.
Speaker 2: Pitched this thing, Like, yeah, I remember when we used to record it in a studio, real last studio.
Speaker 3: So this is going to be a total side note. And I know we weren't going to do another question, but.
Speaker 2: This question, though, is no okay question. Let's get it.
Speaker 1: Let's ask this from a Jacob Report, who, like Marie, is also one of our mods over on the Discord channel. In honor for twenty I need to know what you name your video game inspired cannabis brand. Everyone go around quickly, what's your cann't?
Speaker 4: Okay?
Speaker 5: I only wanted to do this one because in the midst of our conversation today, the best name ever popped into my mind. So if you guys don't want to submit one afterwards, I understand, But the greatest video game related cannabis brand would definitely be called gas Effect. Come wine.
Speaker 3: I guess all right.
Speaker 4: I was just thinking that. I'm like, you know, mass Effect would be pretty good, but it's too because you're just then using the game. But I don't have to be changed to something.
Speaker 5: All right in scene, thank you for letting me.
Speaker 4: Like, I just want to drop my answer. We can exit now.
Speaker 3: As we were discussing, I was like, it's too good.
Speaker 2: Ship man. See the wheels Michael. He's thinking, A damn, I don't know, man, fuck this to this is when you put him put me on the spot like then I then it can't come up with nothing. But you know your boy be smoking on that dank droll.
Speaker 4: You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: Yo, I got like wild pre rolls and yore y'all. I thought. I thought I thought you could, like you could do a pre roll by by yourself.
Speaker 5: Yo.
Speaker 2: I did that ship like there's like a field out here by my place. I was like, yeah, I'll smoke this pre roll. I feel in some type of way.
Speaker 5: Yo.
Speaker 2: I was like halfway through it, like I got lost. I got lost in the sauce. I was like, Yo, blessed, pick me up, man. I didn't even I didn't even call him like my phone. I thought I was talking to somebody. I was like, just helped me out, man, I can't.
Speaker 4: I don't know where to pick me up.
Speaker 2: Oh that should boy? Wow, shmizzy on that. Yeah, shmack, that's what that's what shmack effect.
Speaker 1: All right, Well with that, thank you all for listening, and we'll see you all next time.
Speaker 4: If we're I'm it again