Speaker 1: Hi everyone, Welcome back to Between Us Girlies.
Speaker 2: I'm Bailey, I'm Casey, I'm Lindsay, I'm Ran And today we have one of my dream guests, Poverty Shallow, four time survivor players soon to be five with all showing survivor and your.
Speaker 3: Book was released today. Nice girls don't Win. How do you feel?
Speaker 4: I feel Wow, I don't really know. I'm like so many feelings. I'm really excited that this book is out in the world. I've been working on it for so many years. It's like the biggest commitment of my life, beyond my child.
Speaker 3: When did you decide like this is what I'm going to do, Like I'm going to put pen to paper and I'm going to write this out. Like was there a moment where You're like, I have to tell this story.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it was.
Speaker 4: It was an important piece of the puzzle for me to kind of look at my life.
Speaker 5: I was.
Speaker 4: I had just filed for divorce, I'd moved out of my spot and moved into an apartment on my own with my daughter, and she wasn't with me for some stretches of time with the custody split, so I was alone for the first time ever and I was like, how.
Speaker 5: Did I get here?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 4: And I think of myself as a pretty smart person, and I couldn't compute how I'd landed in that place that was so far off from the vision that I had for my life. So I was like, you know what I'm going to do. I'm going to just I'm going to write a book. I'd always wanted to write a book always. I'm a writer. I was a journaler when I was a kid, a dear diary. And so I just sat down, and I actually, before I sat down, I called a friend of mine who is a writing teacher who lives in New York, and I was like, will you help me do this? And so she coached me and really taught me how to write scenes and dialogue and we did it together for two years.
Speaker 3: Wow. I'm so excited to read it. And you talk about like everything from survivor to grieving to relationships, Like was it hard to kind of relive some trauma like as you're writing this back or was it more healing for you?
Speaker 5: It was both.
Speaker 4: It was so hard to sit down and think about those things that were so painful and feel those feelings because I'm my coping style is if something's really painful, I just I'm like, oh that hurts.
Speaker 5: I don't want to feel that or look at that.
Speaker 4: I'm just going to do this other hard thing that's so intense so I can distract myself from this painful, really hard thing. So I'd been doing that so much in my life that I'd created this whole kind of wreckage of pain and loss and trauma.
Speaker 5: That was unresolved. So then I sat down.
Speaker 4: And looked at like my childhood for the first time, growing up in a commune with a very controlling guru. It was a wildly dysfunctional place. But I'd never looked at any of that or had conversations with my parents about it. So I interviewed them for the book, Okay, And it was just really informative that I had had this childhood growing up that had very similar emotional themes and even physical landscape to survivor.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it was like the exact same.
Speaker 4: I paralleled it. It was like we basically had tribal council every night and the commune.
Speaker 6: And you didn't know any of this prior to this interview, Like you kind of did you have memories of it or was it totally new to you.
Speaker 5: You hear, we had some memories.
Speaker 4: I grew up there until I was nine, Okay, so I did have some memories, but very spotty.
Speaker 5: I hadn't thought about it in any kind of deep way.
Speaker 4: I'd just been told that it was an idyllic childhood, and I felt that it was idyllic.
Speaker 5: It was like very free.
Speaker 4: I ran around in the woods with friends and didn't have too much adult supervision. It felt like very natural and grounded and connected. But underneath the surface, what I didn't really have the ability to comprehend because I was a child, was there was so much abuse happening by the Guru and control, and there were so many adults. All the adults in the community were bowing to the Guru, giving their authority over to the Guru. Like the Guru control to everyone's decisions. She took everyone's money. Everyone donated all their money, their time, their energy to her. So I saw all of this as a child. I wrote it in my book too, because I was like, oh, that's how I learned what that's what love is as a kid.
Speaker 5: That was a template.
Speaker 4: So I had to really look at that and kind of break it down so that I don't repeat it in my personal life.
Speaker 3: Yeah, did you guys sleep, Like was it like were you with like your family just in a house, but like was it in like a community? Like I can't like visualize this.
Speaker 5: It was like communal housing.
Speaker 4: We had a room in a shared house with multiple families.
Speaker 7: I'm sure a lot of this shaped like why you were so good at Survivor. But do you consider this to be like a cult? Like is that like a culty upbringing or like.
Speaker 4: It has some of the hallmarks of a cult. I'm not calling it a cult for specific purposes.
Speaker 5: But it does have some of this.
Speaker 3: And then like, how did you guys like decide to like leave that commune? And was it weird kind of you know, adapting to a different society because that's all you knew was a child, and then you know you're nine years old and then suddenly you're not in that anymore.
Speaker 4: It was a culture shocky completely. So we moved from that's chapter one of the book. Yea too, And I broke down the book in the survival modes, flight, Fight, fawn, Freeze.
Speaker 3: Which is amazing, right, yeah, cool?
Speaker 5: Correct.
Speaker 4: I thought it was helpful because I'm doing a lot of work on my nervous and stuff.
Speaker 3: So you grew up like in Florida and then was that where you were located when you went to your first season of Survivor.
Speaker 5: No, we moved to Georgia, Okay when I was nine.
Speaker 4: My parents did a lot of work, and I commend them for this because it's not easy to leave a community that is your whole life, and especially something that's so controlling and you're insulated there. They were very isolated from the outside world, so they did a lot of work to deprogram that kind of thinking and to establish themselves in their own inner authority so that they could make decisions that were right for them. And then they realized, like, this is very unhealthy. We want to get out of here. So they bounced with me and my sister. When I was nine, we moved to Georgia and they really built a life from scratch, so it was very They were my first experience and first teachers of this is how to survive. This is any time you get stuck in something that's not healthy, you can get out of it.
Speaker 5: You can start over.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 6: What an amazing message, just like in life, but also for you to pass into your book like was that a huge driving force for you to kind of teach other.
Speaker 5: People these things when writing this book, or.
Speaker 6: Did you really just want to tell your story and kind of see where it landed.
Speaker 4: It's a service project. I'm a life coach. I'm like a virgo.
Speaker 5: I can't help it. I give a lot of advice to people, whether they want it or not.
Speaker 4: I'm like, read this book, it's medicine.
Speaker 3: What like when you're writing this, what is something that you're really excited for people to read, and what's something you're like a little bit nervous, Like is there a certain chapter that you're like, ooh, it's going to turn some heads.
Speaker 4: There are multiple chapters that are going to turn head. I wrote some provocative stories in there, and not to sensationalize anything, but my life is pretty and intense at times. So some of the stories, I mean, the survivor stories, everyone's aware of, I think for the most part. But what a reader is going to hear for the first time is my feelings and my personal experience of going through the things that you saw on screen.
Speaker 5: So there's that stuff.
Speaker 4: And then I went through a really difficult divorce and I lost my brother to an overdose around all around the kind of the same time, and that was super hard and painful. But I wrote about it because when I was going through that stuff, the things that helped me was hearing other people's stories of going through divorce and how they came to the decision to do it and then how they got through it to the other side, and then grief, Like I read a lot of grief memoirs when I was dealing with the grief of the loss of my brother, and it was just supportive. So I just wanted to include those stories so that other people could find their way through that experience, because it's something that we all, every single person has been touched.
Speaker 5: By grief, and a lot of people have been touched by addiction. So I included those.
Speaker 4: And then also, you know, I came out in a quick relationship and so there's a nice little sex scene in there.
Speaker 5: It's pretty spicy.
Speaker 3: What's the biggest difference you think between dating women and dating men?
Speaker 4: Well, May's not a woman, mased, not binary. But so I haven't actually officially dated a woman, okay, but I've dated and not man.
Speaker 3: Okay, okay, would you date women in the future.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think dating may like really expanded my mind where I'm it just broke the box for me. Yeah, so there is no box anymore. Oh, wide open.
Speaker 3: We love that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's how everyone should just live with.
Speaker 5: Yeah. Open.
Speaker 6: You don't have to contrain yourself if you want to, if you feel comfortable.
Speaker 1: Finding your place.
Speaker 6: But I feel like I always find more comfort in just being like, I don't know, it's fluid, who knows what, what I am, what I'm doing anything like.
Speaker 5: That, right, And it's more fun like that.
Speaker 4: There's so many rules that I was adhering to without even knowing. Being in a heterosexual dynamic yah and dating men, it was I was just performing this role of woman in any date, any relationship. And then when I didn't have to do that, it.
Speaker 5: Was like what, Ah, I'm so free, happy too. I was so yeah, I'm so happy.
Speaker 3: I love that. Well, let's talk Survivor. So I'm a huge Survivor fan. My bar Mitza was Survivor themes. We have a segment which we'll get to that is completely based off Survivor and you have a big part in that. But your first Survivor season, Cook Island season thirteen quite a controversial season, certainly how old were you when that? Were you twenty four when that was filmed?
Speaker 5: Twenty two, twenty two?
Speaker 3: And did I read somewhere did you apply for a different show? And then they cast you for Survivor? Was an amazing race.
Speaker 5: I wrote the story in my book.
Speaker 3: Okay, oh see, I'm a super fan, so I know you're.
Speaker 5: Gonna love the story too.
Speaker 4: It's a full scene of going into the casting office. Yeah, and like getting the call beforehand from a friend who was a casting agent, because this was around it was a very different era in Survivor and in casting where they were recruiting.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: So a friend of mine was a casting associate who was a recruiter, and he called me to do race. So I went in with two girlfriends and then the casting agent was like.
Speaker 5: Pick and I was like what you pick?
Speaker 4: I guess your job And she was like you want to win, don't you? And I said of course. Then she said which one would you win with? And I just picked right there in the room, and then she was like you're good for Survivor.
Speaker 3: Way, now, how'd you watch Survivor before?
Speaker 5: No, so did you see.
Speaker 3: Anything before you got signed? Like, had you had any idea of how the game worked or whatever.
Speaker 5: Yes, when they put us in the hotel for casting.
Speaker 3: They show you old seasons.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 4: So we stay in a hotel for a week, maybe a few days or a week, and they would show us episodes of Survivor. So and the casting director told me to watch Stephanie La Grosse's season, her first season where she becomes the only woman left standing on her tribe. Tribe gets like completely descinated. Yeah, that was insane, a lone wolf out there. And I was like, okay, oh god, I got to learn how to make a fire without that actually was terrifying.
Speaker 6: From watching it in the hotel room. And then like a few days later you go in. Was it anything like you expected? Like did the show actually prepare you at all?
Speaker 5: No? How many be prepared mathchingly.
Speaker 4: No, it was such a experience. It was like a learning experience.
Speaker 5: On the job. That's how I like to learn.
Speaker 4: I'd prefer to learn on the job versus like sit in a classroom and.
Speaker 5: Read the books. Hands on experiential learning.
Speaker 4: This was a life lesson. So many life lessons on international television.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And I mean, like, how amazing though that they picked you, because that started this legacy like, because how what if you had gone on amazing race, Like do you ever think about that?
Speaker 5: I would have been the first person out. I have no direction.
Speaker 4: I'm like, get out of the subway in New York and immediately start walking in the opposite direction of where I'm supposed to go.
Speaker 5: I would have I have lost Reyes so fast.
Speaker 4: Survivor was meant for me, And I do think that sometimes in our lives there are moments that are destined, that are just woven into the.
Speaker 5: Fabric of our life plan.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and for me, and from writing the book and looking at my life from sort of a bird's eye view, Survivor is that for me? It was really a magnetic force. Like me and Survivor are magnets towards one another. Like I have the perfect skill set to do well in the game, and it is the perfect match for me. I'm so comfortable in that environment, which is so crazy, like it's not fun to get rained on or like have rats run across her chest at night?
Speaker 7: Oh no, I'll do it.
Speaker 5: Yeah. Yeah, Like if.
Speaker 6: You're is there any part of it that is uncomfortable? Like of all the things you experience, the rain, the rats running across your chest, which I would literally fly home, swim home if that happened to me.
Speaker 3: What is like the worst part of it?
Speaker 5: It's the rain, really, the rain is the worst part. It's so demoralizing. No, wowocks aren't that bad. I guess you get used to like just like I think, I feel like there's coping mechanisms for the bugs.
Speaker 4: You can put your long sleeves on, you wear your buff over your face at night, but there you can't avoid the rain, and once you get wet, it's so miserable.
Speaker 7: I don't know if you're allowed to answer this question, but like, let's say, like you get diarrhea or like you have a really bad heading, Like are the producers giving you an advil? Do you have access to maybe a bathroom or no.
Speaker 4: There's no bathroom? No okay, wow, there's no bathroom.
Speaker 5: So you're on your own there to have find what works for you.
Speaker 4: And I will say that coconuts are a natural laxative and that's the only food out there.
Speaker 5: Sometimes there's rice on Australians. Whoever we had rice, and I think winters at war we had a little rice.
Speaker 3: But medicine, right, if you.
Speaker 4: Have well, they do have medics on hand, so if someone has some kind of issue, they can talk to the medic.
Speaker 3: I remember on Cook Islands. This is such a weird memory, but I get really bad headaches and Jenny had a really bad headache and the one cowboy I think was his name, he like did something to her head like it was very like chiropractory and she's like, my headaches gone. And I literally will always remember that scene from that season because I as a kid, was like, do I have to like touch my face and like, like, you know, pressure my sinuses to get rid of them.
Speaker 4: I remember that. You remember that he pulled some kind of demon out.
Speaker 5: Of her forehead.
Speaker 3: It was very interesting.
Speaker 5: Read mark on her face.
Speaker 4: First days after she was liked eggs gone, but she's got this like red.
Speaker 3: So a few years later, you come back for Micronesia, the season you end up winning, which was epic, and I remember as a little kid because I was like your biggest fan. I had so much anxiety the first episode because they immediately went after you out the gate. You had freaking Jonathan Penner being like, we got to get rid of parvity immediately. But you went all the way to the end and you won. Do you I don't know if you're allowed to like pick your favorite season, but was that like your favorite one that you were on, if you could pick, or is it like picking a child, Like you can't choose a favorite.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, it's really hard. I loved Micronesia because of the women.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and they though they were so cool. Yeah.
Speaker 4: It is so hard and rare to find one ally who you can trust and work with in these games. M hm, and I had four yeah, like Alexis, Natalie, Amanda SII, I mean the incredible and I felt like the stars aligned and it was just like so magical playing with them. That was my favorite part of that season, and it made it a blast. It was really stressful and hard because I was playing such a psychologically cutthroat game and I was on strategic.
Speaker 5: Alert, Like, h I alert the entire time.
Speaker 3: Do you think you play better when your back is sort of against the wall and like you kind of know that people are after you, and it like kind of you have to be a little more scrappy versus if you're like in a sense of wait, I feel like I'm okay, And I feel like that's when people get blindsided because they have this like false sense of safety.
Speaker 4: I have never had an experience of not having a back the fall.
Speaker 5: I don't know.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I definitely think you do better like but I think that's like the good situations because it forces you to really get like down and dirty and like figure it out.
Speaker 4: It makes me play a very risk forward game when I the pressure is on and I'm like, all right, I gotta throw some hail Marys and pray that this works.
Speaker 5: It works.
Speaker 4: Yeah, crazy, my head explodes, like it's amazing that the things that I do in these games pay off.
Speaker 5: Yeah, like that, like playing.
Speaker 4: Both my immunity idols in one go Josh.
Speaker 7: Like Brandon's super like you don't understand. So Brandon and I have been friend since we were five, Like he's the first grid I've ever had. Knowing that his born Mitzell was Survivor themed, like I knew that he was a Survivor fan, but living with him hit different because he sat me down. I think we watched like Big Brother once and I don't typically watch like game shows, and I love Big Brother.
Speaker 5: Maybe it was Big Brother, yeah, and you.
Speaker 7: Were He was like, well, if you love Big Brother, like you have to see Parverty and us like who's poverty. And he's like, she does a double she plays a double idol and I'm like, I don't know what that means. And the three of us like we've all sat down and watched that with Brandon like sixty times.
Speaker 3: Like it's my super ball and like your speech where like you talk about the bananas right before, like it's just epic and it literally like you set up the villains to decimate the heroes at that moment because it's five and five and you're dead at a stalemate and you had the advantage after that.
Speaker 5: So I was fueled by fury and vengeance.
Speaker 3: Yes, which is so funny because we had a guest on last week and she said everything she does is out of spite and rage and that is what you need. But something I want to talk about that. I think it has been really interesting, especially in watching some of your interviews. Is you kind of talk about this idea that a million dollars you win that at a young age twenty four at that time, right, but like is it a lot of money? Like what does that really mean to someone who's twenty four? Because I think when I was growing up survived, I was four years old when the first season of Survivor came out, I'm like, a million dollars and now I'm twenty eight, and I'm like, it's a lot of money, but like that does go fast, So like what was it like? Did you feel like I remember? I think I just saw that you took the check and you put it under your bathroom saying like can you tell us about that moment?
Speaker 5: Yes?
Speaker 4: I yes, I just to tell this story and I write it in my book too. When I got the check for a million dollars, I had like negative six hundred in my checking account, Like how do they even let.
Speaker 5: You do that? I don't know.
Speaker 4: But I tried to buy a sandwich at the airport at JFK and I was flying home after I won. I have the check in my bag and my card gets declined, and I'm like, I'm stark, like.
Speaker 5: I just want to days.
Speaker 4: I was like, I guess I'll get a cookie on the plane, but I couldn't because it was so embarrassing.
Speaker 5: I was like, it was crazy.
Speaker 4: How ironic is that that I'm a millionaire and I couldn't buy a sandwich? And I realized when I got home I had the check, but I had also booked this gig, which was so fun.
Speaker 5: I was on Into the Blue Too Shark movie, right, yeah, very.
Speaker 4: Special movie, and they flew us to Hawaii, Amanda and I separately.
Speaker 3: I did not know this, by the way, Oh my god.
Speaker 4: Well, I'm sure you can find the clip on YouTube. There's a volleyball scene on Into the Blue Tuo. So I was like, oh, well, I just got to go do my movie debut, so I don't have time to go deposit this check. And I was like, ah, I don't know what to do with it. It's like a million dollar check that's real, and like, I didn't print this out myself, so I just shoved it under my bathroom sync and I was like, that'll keep it sick. And then I flew to Hawaii and did the movie. And so I still had no money because I hadn't had time to go to the bank, but they gave me per diem for the movie, so I had like sixty bucks half.
Speaker 5: It's like, I guess I can buy something with that.
Speaker 4: Y Yeah, it was wild, but I realized I didn't manage the money very well.
Speaker 5: I was still in.
Speaker 4: This you know, fight flight freeze fonn State of operating, which kept me in this place of.
Speaker 5: Survival.
Speaker 4: I was in this survival mode, so I didn't have any kind of context to not be in survival modes. So a million dollars would have taken me out of survival mode, and I didn't know how.
Speaker 5: To deal with that. I didn't know how to be.
Speaker 4: In a place of stability or abundance. So I was like, ah, and everyone was hating, Like I was just getting so much backlash from the press and from people who had watched Survivor.
Speaker 5: I was being slut shamed. I write about this in the book.
Speaker 4: It was like the Perez Hilton era of like it was just slut shaming all the celebs, and everyone was just like, Oh, that's normalizing all of that. And so I was just like, you know, I didn't know how to ground myself in that time, and so I invested all my money and I started a wellness center with a girlfriend of mine, and I put all of my money in there.
Speaker 5: We remodeled the space.
Speaker 4: It was pilates, yoga, massage, it was so many things I did my yoga teacher training. I was like, I'm going to prove to the world that I am something more than like a vapid horror reality fame chaser, and it was out of this place. I built the center, out of this place of lack, out of feeling not good enough about, out of trying to prove myself to change other people's opinions of me. And the money just went into a black hole. And so I finally got out of that. I sold it, but I'd lost quite a bit of money and that experience, and I got out of it, and then I just had to rebuild again. So I do tell these stories in the book because I think it's helpful for people to hear.
Speaker 5: Yeah, like what money.
Speaker 4: Mindsets, because it's something that people don't really talk about very often. And I've had this sense that a lot of people think, oh, I won a million dollars at twenty five MS set for life, and that.
Speaker 5: Wasn't the case.
Speaker 4: I've had to start over and rebuild many times in my life and it's possible.
Speaker 3: Yeah. So interesting now because now you've done TV where there's social media too, but we're also more progressive as a society. Do you think, like, was it hard back then when you know we weren't as progressive, but there also wasn't TikTok, Instagram and everything where you could read all of these things about you, you were still reading them just I think social media now you're reading them so much more on your face. Yeah, Or was it easier now when you kind of can be more yourself and that's more accepted, but you're seeing things on Twitter, Instagram, everything, Like, was there a difference on like the toll of being on TV on your mental health?
Speaker 5: Yes?
Speaker 4: I think at a young age, because I didn't have a very strong sense of self established, it was really hard to hear those kinds of critiques and not take them personally. Yeah.
Speaker 5: So I feel.
Speaker 4: For the young people that are going on, like in their twenties, going on log Love Island and doing all these shows and getting the immediate backlash from social media, because at least I have had time and I've processed a lot of stuff. I've done a lot of therapy. I like worked on myself. I'm in a good place. I'm grounded. I have a good sense of self now and I have more acceptance of who I am and I trust myself. So I'm like, I can be me and you can have whatever opinion you have of me, and that's fine. But I will say, like, so it really affected me, I think because of my age and because I didn't have that stability internally. But now that like the tides have changed and social media is unavoidable. It's how I work, it's how I promote my work. I'm constantly on Instagram promoting my work, so I can't not engage with it, and that I think is tricky because I love that, like the tide has changed, people are really loving and supportive. That's the majority of the comments that I get now are very supportive, which is so nice.
Speaker 5: And I know that people.
Speaker 4: Change quickly, so I'm like, I'm not getting attached, but it is like it's yeah, it's like hard to set a boundary around it. When in the past, before social media was such a big deal, I could just like not pick up the s Weekly, yeah, or not look on the website.
Speaker 3: It was kind of like out of site, out of mind. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Did you notice a difference being on the traders versus or whatever with like social media, because I feel like traders are with like so many other reality TV stars and you're like clumped in and you're also a trader. Yeah, So I was sure if you saw a difference in that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and Traders did a good job. He got as a really good PR team. They did a good job with promoting and marketing and getting us out there.
Speaker 5: And I just got a lot of love.
Speaker 4: From doing Traders and the memes and the like squinty face shifts were really funny.
Speaker 3: We loved you so fun so epic closing out your like Survivor chapter. I remember when I saw you were doing Winners at War. Its like there's no way. I was like, she would never do TV again. I was like, she's never going to do it, And you did it. And do you think that like kind of opened up the gates for now You've done the Traders, You're doing Australians or whatever you're you know, like, are you happy that you did that? And was an epic experience because it was also the Edge of Extinction, which like I will get into that, but like will we.
Speaker 5: The PTSD from Edge of Extinction is so real.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I don't know how you guys did that. I was like having so much anxiety.
Speaker 4: Oh my god, I am grateful. Yeah that I had the opportunity to go back and play. It was crazy and I did write about it.
Speaker 5: Yeah, in the book because.
Speaker 4: There were a couple of factors that brought me back into Survivor.
Speaker 5: At the time, I never really wanted to play again.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I just had a baby, which is absolutely insane.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and I was like, who am I? What's my body? And then they're like, go play Survivor And I was.
Speaker 4: Like, ohky, Yeah, it was wild because I was ten months postpartum.
Speaker 6: Oh wow, are you like the only person in Survivor history to do something like that?
Speaker 3: That's incredible?
Speaker 5: Ten months probably?
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 4: But Shawnee, who just played Australian Survivor, had a baby when we went out and played, and I think he was a year.
Speaker 3: Women are incredible. Women can do anything.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 4: And she was like, she stopped breastfeeding to go play and that was really hard for her, A hard decision to make.
Speaker 5: I stopped breastfeeding to go play.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and pot a wear and tear on your body out there too. I can't even imagine.
Speaker 5: Oh my god, I lost so much.
Speaker 4: People are like, how did you get your butty back? After go starve on an Island thirty nine days? Edge of Extinction?
Speaker 3: Insane? Is there anyone you've never played with that you wish you would have or is there anyone that maybe was on the same season as you, but you were like on different tribes and never got to like actually play together.
Speaker 4: I would have said Tony. I would have said Tony yeah, because he won winters at War, Yeah, and I was. I was on that season, but I never got to play with him.
Speaker 5: Yeah, And I was like.
Speaker 4: Dang, he's he was good on this good Yeah, So I would have, but I played with him the Australian Survivor.
Speaker 3: Oh, oh my god.
Speaker 5: Yeah, so me, Tony and three play together?
Speaker 3: Oh my god. Okay, so we'll get to see I.
Speaker 5: Gotta taste can see. Yeah.
Speaker 4: I can't think of anyone else off the top of my head. But I was like, dang, I wanted to play with him on When is it wor.
Speaker 3: Is there anyone you're dying to see play again?
Speaker 4: Amanda Kimmel, Yeah, I would love of course, I would love to see Amanda play.
Speaker 5: I would really love that. I just don't know.
Speaker 4: I mean, she's been out of the universe for so long. I just wonder how.
Speaker 3: She would yeah, how she would do?
Speaker 5: How she would do?
Speaker 6: Is it like similar to like riding a bike, like you never forget or when you put yourself back in this situation, you kind of have to like readjust oh.
Speaker 5: Yeah, there's a warm up. I was like, oh god, I forgot.
Speaker 6: How is there like a decompression from it too? Like do you come back into the real world and you're like strategizing the grocery store, or like, are you able to like come back and be like, thank God, I'm in normal life.
Speaker 4: I was like that for the first three seasons that I played. Wow, jeez, because I didn't have any separation between real life and the game.
Speaker 5: I didn't there wasn't a line.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and I didn't have the ability to kind of contextualize this is a game, this is real life. But as I moved out of survival mode and into a more grounded, stabilized place inside myself, I can rightfully place the games where they belong, like this is a game.
Speaker 5: I play this role when I play these games.
Speaker 4: I do these dastardly things when I play these games, and that's okay because it's a game and everyone else is agreeing to this certain set of rules and this competition, so I'm not I'm not breaking anyone's hard I'm not running over their kids, I'm not stealing their money out of their kids college funds.
Speaker 5: Like I'm I am trying to win this game just as you are, and you are and.
Speaker 4: You are, So I now have that ability to kind of put it in its right spot. But no, I didn't have that when I first played my first.
Speaker 5: Three seasons of whatever.
Speaker 7: Wow, does anything freak you out or like scare you? Like I'm listening to you talk and I'm like, if I was a kidnapper and I took you, like I feel like you'd get away in like five minutes, I would.
Speaker 5: Use my response. I would be like I've always wanted to be to pick up.
Speaker 3: That you were saying. Bearing alive is like a now.
Speaker 4: Go oh no away. Thank god I didn't have to get in a coffin Traders.
Speaker 1: So I want to ask you some Traders questions. Okay, I loved you on Traders. First off, I have to ask about your iconic headvans. You ate up all of your outfits on the Traders. I loved it, Like, was the head fans something. I don't know if this is a real question, but like, just wasn't more iconic for you on Traders? Just like have something like I feel like it's just so different from Survivor. You kind of like stand out a little bit, but not to stand out.
Speaker 4: It was so fun to prep the our jobe for Traders. I hired a stylist.
Speaker 3: I would do the same thing. Oh, like you have fabulous guys.
Speaker 5: We're eating.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's like a fash.
Speaker 5: I understood the assignment. Alan Cumming is going to bring it.
Speaker 4: I'm living in a castle, Okay, I'm gonna have to show up. So I hired a stylist and it was an insane amount of clothes that we had to prepare to and I was like, who would I want to be if I was playing this game as a character. And I love Blair Walder from Gossip Girl, so she was my inspiration in every way holistically conspiration.
Speaker 5: Like I was like personality style the whole thing with my squinty, pouty face.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I love that so much.
Speaker 5: Amazing, brushed it, thank you, And I have a question.
Speaker 1: So that's a way to prep and going back to what you're saying by like taking the game versus real life. I feel like Traders, that's such a different game. You're also proving the people just like you're.
Speaker 3: Not a liar?
Speaker 1: Is that a different way of playing a game too, I mean completely different than Survivor.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it was. It's a completely different game.
Speaker 4: It's so hard because I was constantly under attack and couldn't escape. Survivor, if I'm feeling stressed or under attack, there's so much space, so I can leave and go jump in the ocean and kind of regulate myself and reset. But with Traders, it was one room after another of people accusing me, and I was like, I'm lying.
Speaker 5: They all know I'm lying. Oh my god, they can see it on my face. I was like, God, I was so bare annoying.
Speaker 3: I'd be like blinked, weird.
Speaker 1: I'm like, do they know I'm lying right now? Like, even if you weren't lying, if you weren't like a trader, I'd be like, oh no, I'm not doing anything wrong.
Speaker 4: I know, and then that makes you look guilty. So there's no way to not feel insane, right.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 6: That's why I feel like the game players always just do a little bit better when it comes to traders and in strategic moves, because I think there is a level where you, like I just you can't put real people in a room and be called a liar and have them react accordingly, but you put a game player in there and they're like, oh, I don't what to do?
Speaker 3: I know how to interact? Because people your season did take it personal, Like it seemed like MJ was like devastated with like Trishall and CT just being like, no, we're playing the game. Were you at that point like do you feel like you're past with reality TV had kind of helped you be like no, this isn't personal. Guys like yeah, because it seemed like people were up yes, yeah, but that union was tense.
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, MJ was really pissed. Phedra too, Yeah, was missed Dan.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: They've never had the experience of, you know, stepping into that kind of game play arena and have it be not personal. I think Housewives it is always personal.
Speaker 5: Yeah, Like I'm trying.
Speaker 4: Your job is to take things personally. So they were doing their job, you know. I I don't I like forget the threat of what I was going to say.
Speaker 3: Now, was there like a moment where you were like regretful of being a trader or did you go in and you wanted to be a trader? Like how do you think you would have done as a faithful I.
Speaker 5: Think I would have been a good, faithful because I would have felt more free.
Speaker 4: I would have felt more able to express myself in a regular way.
Speaker 5: And connect with people.
Speaker 4: I'm really good at connecting with people when I'm authentic, when I'm like truthful to what's happening inside.
Speaker 5: But if I am holding a secret, I'm like, I'm lying.
Speaker 4: I just always assume people know I'm lying, so I'm like, I just act weird.
Speaker 5: I can't help it. I don't know.
Speaker 4: There's something on Survivor that gives me like a little bit of like, uh, like little I don't know, there's something about lying on Survivor that's easier for me because it feels more. It feels different, it feels more like it's not an overt lie.
Speaker 5: It's more like a subtle like I'm with.
Speaker 4: You, like a mission, but like I could actually be with you, so things could change, it could be together.
Speaker 7: Do you think that working with like going back to the different personalities of a game player versus a housewife like you and Phedra were traders, was that weird working together coming from such different I guess reality backgrounds, Like did you have any moments where you two clashed where she was more like drama and You're like, no, no, we have to play the game like this.
Speaker 5: We had those moments in the turret.
Speaker 4: Well, it was one moment, really, the moment when I came after the housewives at a round table.
Speaker 5: She was pissed, yeah, And I was shocked because I was like, what do you me and you're upset? I have to, of course obviously.
Speaker 4: Play and say something so people don't think I'm a trader, and she's like, don't come.
Speaker 5: After that, surely go. I was I and I read.
Speaker 4: To her credit, she was able to drop it like when we were in the turret and I was like, look, I like you are we going to be on the same page?
Speaker 5: Are we on the same team? Like she got out of her system. She yelled at me.
Speaker 4: She felt cleared the air, and I was like, okay, good do you did what you had to do like I did what how to do, and I think we both are like able to do this together if you want to be on the same team.
Speaker 5: I like, I got your back.
Speaker 4: And then she was the thing that I think was really surprising to me about Pedro was she was really loyal and I did not expect that from her. Yeah, and I didn't expect it from a housewife. I just thought like they would play for themselves. But she was loyal and as soon as I realized that about her, I was like, I trust her, Like I don't think she's gonna throw me under the bus. And even at the very end where it was us going against each other at the round table, you can see we don't really go.
Speaker 5: Against each other. We're both like I don't want to.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's really how was that feeling when like you're just seeing your name being flipped and like you're tallying it up and you're like, oh, because like you also have to go up there at the end of be like so like I lied for the past however many weeks like is it a good feeling or like kind of a bad feel Like who I'm relieved back and I'll have to lie to you guys.
Speaker 4: Any I wrote this, see so you're going to get to write it. It was like kind of bittersweet because I didn't want to be out of the game, and it was a relief to be able to tell the truth.
Speaker 5: It's so freeing to.
Speaker 4: Tell the truth of it's shockingly liberating, and I really enjoy feeling free. So it was great to just be able to drop that and be like, you guys, get me.
Speaker 5: Way to go.
Speaker 4: But it was a good moment for me too to have that experience because I'd been doing all of this work on myself as I played Traders. I was in the middle of writing my book, my book Proposal. When it got sold, it did not have Traders in it because I hadn't played. So the book was being written as I was living life, like multiple chapters at the end didn't exist. I hadn't had my queer relationship, I hadn't played Traders. When I sold the book book, so I was like, I need to obviously this is important. I'm going to write all this in So I had been doing so much work on myself when I got the call to go play Traders, and I was in this place of real emotional honesty, like that was my practice because I had played Survivor so many times, I was so practiced in avoiding my feelings and like not really even understanding what my feelings meant or what they were trying to tell me. So I was doing a lot of somatic work, like embodied therapy to understand what I was feeling and where they were, what direction my feelings were pointing me in, so I could live a life that was more honest to myself. I was like, okay, and it was so much work to get there. And then I was like, oh, no, I have to play a lying game.
Speaker 6: Yeah, that's like exposure therapy to the absolute back exactly.
Speaker 4: I was really worried about it when I play before I played, because I was like, I don't know if I can do it. I'm too vulnerable. I was like a baby deer.
Speaker 3: Well, you crushed it. So we're going to play a game we play every week, a game called would you Rather? It's very simple, So would you rather play in a future season of The Traders All Stars with people from different Traders US seasons or play in the very final season of Survivor USA. It's called like Survivor Legends and it's all legendary players.
Speaker 5: I will never play Survivor again.
Speaker 3: Are you going on the record and you're saying that yes and you mean it?
Speaker 5: Heard it here?
Speaker 3: I just got goosebumps. Even if Jeff is saying part of this is the very last season, there will never be a season of the show again.
Speaker 4: You're saying no, there is nothing Jeff can say or do. No amount of money he can pay me to play that game again.
Speaker 3: Oh my god. Okay, but Trader at All Stars, Traders.
Speaker 5: All Stars is on the table. Yeah, I would do it.
Speaker 1: Would you want it in a freeze?
Speaker 5: Never? Okay?
Speaker 3: The survival skill the guys would no? Brother?
Speaker 5: No? No?
Speaker 3: Have you watched Big Brother?
Speaker 5: I can not handle Big Brother. It's like trapped in a coffin for me. I can't do it.
Speaker 3: Would you ever do a dating show?
Speaker 5: No?
Speaker 3: Okay, okay, good to know. Okay, this is a dicey one. If you were to play Survivor again, we know you're not, But if you were on the show, would you rather be voted off, pre merge with an idol in your pocket? Or make it all the way to the final four? You're the lead contender to win, but then you lose the fire making challenge.
Speaker 4: I would rather lose fire making challenge. It's a skill I just simply do not.
Speaker 5: Have you ever want to go out with an idol in your pocket?
Speaker 3: Yeah? That's like always my biggest Fearit not that I would ever play, but if I did play, I would be so scared that I would go out with an idol in my pocket. Just play it, just play it.
Speaker 5: Just play it. It's fine even if you don't need to play it. Just play it wrong. Don't go out with an idol on your pojet.
Speaker 4: Yeah, if you have a little sneaking suspicion it could be you just get it out of there.
Speaker 6: There's a life metaphor in there somewhere. Yeah, Like just do it, just even if it's wrong.
Speaker 3: Just fill in your gut it anyway.
Speaker 5: Don't be a hoarder, don't be an idle order.
Speaker 3: So we have a segment every week that is based off Survivor called a Muni Necklace. And you're very familiar with the Union necklace you have, like the record I think for like most female Immunu wins like ever in a season, right or something like that. Probably I would know, I would know, But we say it a little differently. We say a Muni necklace as like a way to say like a hot take. So like if you were talking in Survivor lingo, someone would say Ammunion necklace. But I don't think Boston Robb's that good of a player. Like you say something very controversial after and the whole point of having an immunia necklace on is like, we can't judge you for saying it. You're like, you're safe from our judge.
Speaker 5: Oh okay, I love that.
Speaker 3: So it doesn't have to be a survivor related. It could be dating anything, like one of our guests has said her ammuniy necklace was your boyfriend isn't your best friend? Like totally should be categories my best friends are back surround, my boyfriend's my boyfriend? Do you have an union necklace? A hot take that's maybe relevant to your life right now? It could be about literally anything. It could be as something small as a union necklace. I hate red high heels, like something like that. You can think on it for a second if you need to.
Speaker 5: Okay, yeah, because I don't know, we.
Speaker 3: Should have propped to you. I feel like you, Yeah, anything in your book maybe or maybe a process of like writing the book that maybe inspired something.
Speaker 4: There's really so much in my book, but my friends like not many any connections.
Speaker 5: Do you guys have any ideas, like any hot takes?
Speaker 3: I would say one that I this is just so like irrelevant. I hate going out with people that aren't on the same page as me about what we're doing.
Speaker 5: Oh okay.
Speaker 3: So like this week we were like out and these two girls were just trying not to have a good time, and I was like, so go into your room, like we're having a pregame in the kitchen. If you're going to just sit there and be miserable and your bed is downstairs, just go lay down like you. If I'm feeling anti social, I will I will retreat. Yes, I will retreat. I won't put my bad mood on everyone else. We've talked about this self isolated. Yes, So in that situation, I was like, am I like a bitch for like thinking that these girls should like go like not be here right now? Like we're all listening to music, we're having fun, we're drinking, and like they very much so are reading that they don't want to be here and they don't have to be here. Yeah right, So like are they just here because of fomo? So that was my immunity necklace this week.
Speaker 5: And then they're holding you hostage.
Speaker 3: They're holding us hostage. I wanted to vote them out.
Speaker 5: Next time you vote yourself off the island.
Speaker 4: That's what you do when you're okay, I have one thank you?
Speaker 5: Yes, immunity necklace. But I think Michelin Star restaurants are overrated.
Speaker 3: I like this, okay.
Speaker 4: I am just like stop with a little sprinkles of like gold flame and caviar on your ice cream. I just want chocolate cookie dough peanut butter cup ice cream, and I want it to be big.
Speaker 5: I wanted like a big, giant bowl of it, not like a.
Speaker 4: Teaspoon that took you twenty years to formulate the recipe that you had to source the ingredients from Okinawa.
Speaker 5: Like I'm so real.
Speaker 6: I'm into two Michelin star restaurants now. And I went to French Laundry in Napo, which is like a three star Michelin restaurant, and there was a point where the service was so good that I was like, can you guys just give me a second?
Speaker 5: Like they were like waiting on his.
Speaker 6: Hand and foot, and it felt so overwhelming. So I kind of like this hot take because I agree. I was like, I almost wish you guys ignored us for a.
Speaker 1: Little bit, like and the deconstructed, Like if there's like four plates for one dish.
Speaker 5: Just give me the peanut butter and jelly, right, Like I.
Speaker 1: Don't need the jelly, the peanuts and like the butter, and I have to make it myself.
Speaker 4: I leave.
Speaker 5: They're hungry, you're starving. I knew it. I knew it.
Speaker 3: I went to in Mexico and I did not think it was good. I feel like they're always just trying to throw like a fish in there somewhere, and like, let's just not chilling the fish, chilling the beats, Like I don't want to beat South something gel too.
Speaker 7: I hate a beat, salad, something that's like, yeah, something that's all.
Speaker 5: Heal, flaw ruck cheese. No, give me a grilled cheese. I'm so happy.
Speaker 3: Rap wrapping up? Is there? So our demographic is mostly women who listen to this, and your book is obviously about being a woman. Nice girls don't win. What is one advice you would give to a woman in their twenties kind of feeling stuck in life? Or is there any like words of inspiration that you wish you could give yourself, whether it was when you were twenty two and playing your first season of Survivor twenty four and you win a million dollars? Like, is there any advice to women you would like love to instill in somebody?
Speaker 5: Absolutely?
Speaker 4: If there is a door in front of you that you're curious about. Walk through the door. Open the door, walk through it, find out what's on the other side. Don't be afraid to get messy. Your life is not supposed to be linear. You're not supposed to have it all figured out when you're in your twenties. Explore all the possibilities and don't be afraid to embarrass yourself because you probably will and it's really okay. So just make sure that you have some good friends and some people that you can laugh with and like, go down some dead ends, turn around, play in the dirt, like just get messy, and definitely always walk through the door.
Speaker 5: Oh I wish you were my sister.
Speaker 7: It feels like read the book.
Speaker 3: So what's next? Are we doing a book chour? Is there? Like? And I think I saw an interview with Rob Sesterna that you might be working on producing a show of your own coming out.
Speaker 5: Actually, I really am so excited.
Speaker 3: I mean to people, because we are I do, we.
Speaker 4: Will be casting, so expect a phone call. I am currently actively presently on a book tour. This is a stop on my time and yeah, it's super fun. I have that big drag show and that's gonna be a blast. I'm selling books at a drag show like Coolt's tell you yeah.
Speaker 5: I go to DC. I go to the Mall of America, which is like what we always rides in there.
Speaker 3: I know I always want to go there.
Speaker 5: Well, I'll tell you how to.
Speaker 4: And then I'm back in La at the Grove for the final sort of official stop on the book tour, and I am I've created and developed a show with my friend Amy Bean, who we co host our podcast, Nice Carlton Whim and the show is so campy and fun. It's a horror reality competition show.
Speaker 5: What it is really good.
Speaker 4: It's a never before done concept and I'm super pumped about it.
Speaker 5: We're pitching it.
Speaker 4: We've had a few pitches already. We've got a few more when I get back. And then I'm also working on something with another network that we are pitching in July. So something's gonna pop and it's gonna be great.
Speaker 3: That's amazing. Thank you so much. Where can everyone follow you?
Speaker 4: I'm p Shallow on Instagram, on TikTok exclusively on one platforms all.
Speaker 5: I can handle me get you on TikTok, No I can't do it unless you run it.
Speaker 3: I'll run it for you. Okay, you run it for And where can we buy your book?
Speaker 5: You can buy my book anywhere books are sold. Amazing. Yeah, but the link is in my bio too.
Speaker 3: Wow. You made the stream come true. The tribe has spoken. Thank you, Bye guys, fue