Speaker 1: Bucky.
Speaker 2: I think my favorite kind of sandwich is a pizza broad.
Speaker 1: Oh come on now, why would you? Why would you? You cannot do that? So I was I'm glad you mentioned this because I'm an appeal to our crowd. Yes, please do right at the top of the show, please do. The Wisconsin Timber Ratlers and Apton, Wisconsin local minor league team, one of the best minor league teams in the country, has an annual food fight and they ask fans to submit a recipe for a different item on their menu. Could be a burger, could be a sandwich, could be a side, could be you know, French fries. Whatever. So this year they chose brats, and one hundred and thirty people submitted and I was lucky enough to be one of the finalists. Yes, remind me again what it was. It is the Grand Southwest Grand Slam. Yes, they did not do it the way I wanted them to do it, but that's okay because they have really talented chefs there that are going to put it together. I wanted a Brios roll, okay, okay, and and they put on a Brioche pun, which means they split the brat in half. Halopenno cheddar brought from Salomon's Meads. They split the brought in half and they made an X on it, which I think that's why I'm gonna lose, Like I'm not going to get chosen, because who's going to want to buy that right now? I haven't heard people who've actually tasted and said, no, it's phenomenal, like this is I bet? Nick Vitrano from Kiss FM said I crushed it. Leo said, Leo tried all five of them, all five that are finalists, and Leo said that mine was the only one with flavor. Is good? All right? But anyway, So it's a briosch roll uh spread with avocado crema and then you have this jalapenno cheddar brought on it top with pickled onions, roasted corn, and black bean salsa with cilantro on lime. It's good stuff. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I mean, I'd never eat any of them, but I also don't eat sandwiches, so I really am not a good test of character case.
Speaker 1: So if you're not going to eat it, that's fine. Here's how I view for yours, and how do you vote? Timber Ratlers dot com is where to go or If you follow Tim Ratlers on Facebook or x they have posts on there, but the easiest way to go to timber ratlers dot com. Right on that homepage, there's a food fight kind of like blurb. Click on that and there's a link in there to vote vote number one Southwest grand Slain. How long does this go? March fifth?
Speaker 2: Okay, okay, good, we'll talk about this on the show next week.
Speaker 1: Is that's remember I said I was gonna have a mission for HBO. This is the mission.
Speaker 2: Okay, cool. I only came across it because it was adorable. I never see you on Facebook ever. But now I'm a social media guy, as you know, in big time.
Speaker 1: I don't really again, like I said this, the only time I post on social media is when I'm promoting myself. Yeah, and now I'm a final five finalists, and now I'm promoting.
Speaker 2: Myself and your wife is helping. And I saw her post and you went underneath it and put thanks honey.
Speaker 1: Yeah exactly.
Speaker 2: And I liked both her post and your post. And that's the only reason I knew this was happening.
Speaker 1: Yes, he posted as well, and our good buddy El Grande.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'll get it up there as well. Then I want I want to fit in on this too, then, but I'm pulling for you. But I was joking. The pizza brot probably sucks, probably made by a bad person, So don't vote for that.
Speaker 1: I'm not I'm not concerned necessarily that. When there's a hot honey brought that I'm not too concerned with. I think that two toughest ones are gonna be the poutine. There's a poutine one which is great, sounds delicious, and then the Ruben brought too. I think there's a lot of people that are all about the Ruben. If you look on social media, if you look on the Post and the timber Ratlers, you know, when they gave you the five finalists, it always seems like one. Everybody's saying one, three and five which is mine, the Ruben brought and the poutine, and everybody seems to be settling it on three and five rather than one, which is fine. Yeah, that's the lame. The Appleton postcrests in the local newspaper. Yeah, they had a story on it, and they posted the photo of mine twice in their article, which I think is good. However, I'm not the main image on that I think they chose the hot honey brought for that. And then on wl l UK Channel eleven here in the Fox Valley, they did a story on it and they used my recipe as the main phoont.
Speaker 2: You got to get on your old time slot and make sure that they push it out there as well, because that's yeah.
Speaker 1: I mean listen, I've posted on it like I have a show. I have a fantasy football show tomorrow, I have one on Friday. I will be pumping that up. I've had some people that that view my show that have already said they contacted me on x that they voted as well. So okay, we're going nationwide.
Speaker 2: There we go. I dig that, I dig that. I'm pooling for you, man. We'll see what happens.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I got a good feeling, all right. I honest to god, I could keep talking about this and the show is called off topic, but I have I have looked forward.
Speaker 1: Enough to talking about this with you, Balky.
Speaker 2: I said to you off the air, this was gonna be my my colde open until I remembered that you were in the competition. But I was gonna say, like I'm supposed to be the cynic The Jaded, The Jaded Movie Guy of the two of us and we are realistically outside of Anaconda. Twenty twenty six has been a great year for the podcast really, and these last two weeks have been absolutely phenomenal. This week of course being and I really have to do this right, good Luck, Have Fun, Don't Die?
Speaker 1: Correct?
Speaker 2: Okay, yeah, See, to me, having fun is the most important part, so I always want to put that first before good Luck.
Speaker 1: Yeah. It is a little weird, ye you know, to have it, and it comes in into the movie that there is a this is part of the movie. It's not just like a random like, oh, we named it this because we thought it was cute. It does have something new with the movie. But good Luck, Have Fun, Don't Die is the latest movie that we're reviewing today. It stars Sam rock Bell, Hilly lu Richardson, Zazzi Beats, Michael Pana. Directed by Gordon Verbinski, who you may remember directed Rango, the first three Pirates of the Caribbean movies, and some other things I can.
Speaker 2: Which I don't know if you If you knew this about me, I did not know the director of the Pirates of the Caribean, but the original Pirates is in my top ten movies. It came out when I was fifteen. It just like hit at the right time. I saw it in theaters. I actually, I think I might have told this story, but I went to the theaters with my family and might show. They were like, what do you want to see? I think it was like my birthday or something. Yeah, and my dad was like, I really want to see this Pirates movie. And I was like, sounds stupid, not interested. Let's do twenty eight days later because this both came out at the same time. Yeah, exactly, and I picked that. I was disappointed with that, and I saw Pirates two weeks later in theaters. I was like, this is one of the greatest things I've ever seen in my life. And I think it made me hate twenty eight thays later even more that it was so good. But I love those movies. So when you told me that yesterday, it's the same director that elevated that elevated my expectations of this movie, and I would say it's still exceeded what I was expecting when I went to go see it.
Speaker 1: Personally. I read some critics say that there are very few directors that could have pulled this movie off, which I don't necessarily agree with, but they said Gord Verbinsky was the right guy for the job, and based on our analysis and viewing of this movie, hard to argue. I mean it like the as far as the direction goes, as far as really everything goes in this movie, I don't have a whole lot of complaints.
Speaker 2: Not at all, and like to me, I agree with that sentiment honestly that only certain directors could pull this off, because I think there's a lot of people and I will use an example, and this is someone who I did deeply respect as an actor.
Speaker 1: Yea, Peter Dinklic.
Speaker 2: Sure he is what I refer to and I did not invent this term, but I like using it for him. I refer to him as lol random, Like he's not funny random, yes, Like it's like, oh, look how wacky I am, but like it's uh, I include Ryan Reynolds in that conversation. It's like, look, how strange and quirky I am. And it's like, I don't like you're trying too hard to be that, Like actual quirky people are just the best example is Hugh Jackman is a strange, freaking dude. Yeah, yes, he is way more quirky than Ryan Renolds. But Ryan Reds is like, look how wacky I am? And then meanwhile, Hugh Jackman, it's a very understated like, Ah, that dude's weird and I like him for it.
Speaker 1: All Right, So a couple of things I want to just piggyback on this. Yeah, Ryan Reynolds, I always think it's weird for him to be living in real life because I think myself included view him like the way he talks in movies, the dialogue he has in movies, and he's kind of type cast. Absolutely absolutely, how does he do that in real life? It's totally different. I was watching a Denzel Washington interview today and it's like, how do these guys who are so good on screen with memorizing lines that were written for them? Like, it's totally different when you hear him talking real life. And Reynolds, I think it'd be a huge letdown because nobody has the right one liners like he does.
Speaker 2: It's like Tony Stark versus although Robert Downey Jr. Is a funny dude in real life, but like it's the same idea he did.
Speaker 1: They did this thing at the Oscars a few years ago where they were interviewing all these actors and directors about what drama is and what film is and what cinema is, and Robert Towne Junior is one of them, and he was the only one that was like and not poking fun of it, but being funny. Yeah, everybody else is taking it very seriously. So he's kind of like that in real life. And then I don't agree on Peter Dinklic. I don't believe he's like this quirky like.
Speaker 2: No, I'm saying he was just recently in the movie Toxic or Toxic Avenger.
Speaker 1: Yeah. He also he had a recurring role in thirty Rock.
Speaker 2: Anytime he said at that yeah really yeah, anytime he's in a comedic role, it's like he's like, oh look, how like Novenger was just loud and obnoxious, Like it wasn't funny. I didn't enjoy it very much. And I think I would have liked it more if the lead actor. I think I would have actually been entertained from a comedic standpoint, because you knew he thought that he was eating the scenery up and I was just like, ah, man, you just you don't pull. This isn't the type of person you are, and that's fine. But I say all that to say this movie could have been the Peter dinklinch type of movie. You're like, Ah, you're trying way too hard to be weird. This hit all. I'm like, oh no, this is the exact level of weird. It doesn't feel like you're trying at all. This just flows. And that's the best compliment that I can give a movie like this.
Speaker 1: Just real quick to put a button on this. You know who is like that? For me? John ham Like, why are you describing? Yeah, tries too hard to be funny. Yeah, there is an SNL like within the last couple of years where they're taking questions from the audience and he was, you know, one of the plants in the audience, and his question was, am I funny? You know? He said that to the host And if you did you watch the Confess Fletch movie, the latest Fletch movie. That's John Hammond stead Chevy Chase. It was weird because he's such a good looking guy and obviously has this reputation for Don Draper on Mad Men. It's weird to like see him be comedic like it's just you don't know if it's if he's dead panting, if he's being serious or whatever.
Speaker 2: He was in Tag I don't remember in particularly.
Speaker 1: And then getting back to Dinklage, he was the in the comedy Elf, small small role in that, and I'm like racking my brain. I'm like, what other comedies or like whatever comedic roles has he been in. I really can't think of anything, but Ben I'll bring this up and if you haven't watched it, he hosted SNL during the peak of the powers of Game of Thrones, right, he was hilarious. He did this space pants sketch with Gwen Stefani where he was like this weird dancer at this club while these gangsters are trying to have like a meeting to like either kill each other exchange money. And then he did another one where it was two couples out to dinner at a former brothel in New York City and they had glory holes. I don't know if I can say that on the podcast. Okay, I'm giving it. They had glory holes in this brothel, right, but they when they redid it and made a restaurant, they never took the glory holes out, so all the food to serve through gloryholes. So it's like bread and corn dogs and corn on the cob. And he is just he's not trying to be funny, like he's just funny. Like it's just hilarious, you know what I mean. But I did not see Toxic Covender, so I got it right now, and I was excited for that. We talked about doing it on the podcast.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that movie came and went very quickly in theaters. But nevertheless, I say.
Speaker 1: That, so circle this, circle this back here. You're just saying like, basically, there was a possibility where there could be, like the movie itself could be trying too hard to be quirky, to be unique, to be funny in sort of a I don't know.
Speaker 2: The best way I can describe it is when it's when it but it was, it was.
Speaker 1: It was.
Speaker 2: It's like when a drama club kid tries to be too weird and you're just like, ah, this sucks. That's that's the way I look.
Speaker 1: At I was watching mal Rats clips the other day, mm hmm. And this is true of clerks, like any like early Kevin Smith stuff. The dialogue is so weird, so forced, and I don't know if that was intended or not, but like seeing guys like Jason Lee and Ben Affleck and Ethan Sutley and and I can't remember it was Jason or Jeremy Lonnon and that it just it looks like you're watching like a high school yeah, you know. And I don't know if that's intended or not, but it is a little like watching it now. Yeah, there's there's a certain nostalgic aspect that I enjoyed it, but it's still a little off putting. And I don't know, I don't know, I mean, is that just I don't know.
Speaker 2: I like this tangent and I promise we'll get back to the movie to those of you listening, But I will say I believe Quentin Tarantino changed dialogue in movies all of a sudden. You'd have people in movies talking about movies talking. We talking the way you and I do right now, but it would be dialogue in a movie, and you never really saw it like that before. To me, Kevin Smith watched that and was like, I'm gonna do that, but he's not Quentin Tarantino. And I love Kevin Smith, I love Jay and Silent Bob. I love Clerk's Clerks. I think the budget for the first one was like ten thousand dollars made one point six million. I love that story. Ye, but it's what happens when someone who maybe isn't as much of an a tour as Quentin Tarantino is kind of tries his hand more traditional sounding dialogue, but it just kind of sounds cheesy and outdated in a lot of ways.
Speaker 1: One of my favorite nineties sitcoms is news Radio. I think I've read heard up to you before, and there is one episode where two people were arguing over who Mushmouth was and who dumb Donald was on the old Fat Albert Show. Yeah, and all of a sudden, another character says, Okay, now I feel like I'm gonna Quentin Tarantino movie because that's the kind of stuff you have, just this random stuff. The whole big Back conversation in the car between Samuel Jackson and John Travolta. Pulp fiction, What the hell's the point of that? But it's legendary now, like it's it's like it's like baked into like you think of pulp fiction, you think of Libig Meca.
Speaker 2: You know, like literally a Simpson scene where like they don't call it a krusty burger with cheese.
Speaker 1: So so, so anyway, you could be right on Tarantino because like his his films are you know, it's a Tarantino movie.
Speaker 2: When you're watching immediately just from the you don't even need to watch it, you just need to hear it and you're like, no, that's uh, that's exactly what I think exactly. But but yeah, so, I mean, I don't know how we got on to Kevin Smith from.
Speaker 1: I don't know either. It's not important. Let's get back to this movie. The gist of this, the setup of this is a man from the future claiming to be from the future. I should always say that to set you up. Maybe is from the future, maybe he's not, but he claims to be from the future. And he walks into this Los Angeles diner ten ten at night. I don't know if that was crucial or not, but they made a point of yeah in the movie, and he basically is dressed kind of weird. He looks very homeless, like, you know, like he's dressed like a homeless person, and he claims that the right combination of people are in that diner to save the future of the world, because he knows what the world turns into and we could save it tonight. And then the whole thing is trying to recruit people. Some people go along with them, some people don't, and the adventures start. I said on your show, we were talking about this non linear storytelling. We get some backstories, flashbacks to how these characters came to be in this diner, how they came to be the people that they were to a certain point, I mean that's a huge degree. And then we actually get the the the process and the result. But and maybe we get into themes right away. Obviously the theme hand heavy handed on the role of artificial intelligence. Yeah, and phone usage and phone usage. And speaking of phone usage, I'm watching this and I'm on my phone on my phone right now. I'm on my phone all the time then, and I feel like, God, I I have got to stop.
Speaker 2: So can I say so, as you know, I'm a TikToker now.
Speaker 1: And follow me every because like you do that for work.
Speaker 2: No, but no, no, no. So I posted something that kind of hit minutes before I went into the theater, and so like I would bring up TikTok, and it would be like seven more likes, and I'd wait four more minutes and be like thirteen more likes. I'm like, oh, I think this might catch a little fire here. And for the first half of the movie, I'd say every five minutes I was checking to see and then and I've never been that guy ever and the theme of the movies, You're so pervasive talk fifth, fifth, yeah, but so like it actually did okay, And I'm sitting there watching the movie, watching how the kids aren't putting the phone down, watching the opening scene when they show you every table and the server walks by and everyone's on their phone, and I'm just like, it didn't resonate with me until about halfway through, and I'm like, dude, this movie's good. Check this out when you get home. And I put the like I had to actively, and had we been watching Send Help, I don't know that I would have made that.
Speaker 1: It was heavy handed.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't know that I would have made the connection that I need to put this down and just enjoy the freaking movie, especially given the fact that it was two hours and fifteen minutes and it felt like I was there for like thirty.
Speaker 1: It flew really didn' drag. I read somewhere human evolution, and I think there's a mural of human evolution posted in this I know what you're gonna say, Yeah, but no, you don't know what I'm gonna say. I'm just in references. But the final part of human evolution is in this mural that's depicted in the movie. Is this guy with one of those heads VR headsets on and his head is slumped down and yeah, you know, just walking and it's like the evolution of man, you know whatever. I read an article and I can't remember where this was, and they wanted make it abundantly clear that this is not anywhere near happening. But if people continue to walk around with their heads down, buried in their phones, because and I don't know how they explain this, but it made sense human evolution could evolve into us growing horns out of the back of our heads, something with like the structure or the pose or whatever something like that. And again, this is not like a couple generations away. This is like thousands and thousands of years you know, down the road that humans if this phone like the way we treat technology, and we were constantly with our chin in our chest. Horns might be starting to grow out of the back of human beings heads. I gotta find that article. I'll send it to you.
Speaker 2: But you know what's crazy is I mean, this is my stupid memory that if you know me, you know this is what I'm good for. We used to read Time for Kids when we were in sixth grade and there was an article when I was in sixth grade in nineteen ninety nine. Yeah, it shows the evolution of man and then it's almost like the de evolution and it shows someone hunched over a keyboard and basically looks like the first iteration when it happens. And that was back in nineteen ninety nine, and they were telling you, like we kind of see the trajectory, like the Kammonos has got their first computer in nineteen ninety eight and it was like exactly the kind of computer you think it is in that era, and they were calling their shot then and here we are. I mean, iPhones were a decade later and the rest is history. But I mean this hit on so many I think worries it took part as a terminator. Like I know you don't watch the show, but this was to me three episodes of Black Mirror with a through line kind of connecting all of those episodes. And there actually are two or three episodes of Black Mirror that are the exact formula where it's two or three, but that each story is like, you know, ten minutes and then it tells like a whole story in an hour. That was the way that it looked at this. This touches on a lot of fears, takes them too in my opinion, A like, I don't want to say logical conclusion because you see how why some of the crap is that happens in this movie. But before.
Speaker 1: I want to explore that more. But before we get I want to talk about the wild crap. So I compared this to you and I and I said, it's to a lesser degree sorry to bother you. Which can we spoil that or no? Yeah, okay, so I'm sorry to bother you. It's a telemarketing a guy who's trying to make money telemarketing, right, and one thing leads to another. He's unpeeling the layers of an onion and we find out that there is this like horse cocaine that people are snorting oblivious to that it actually turns them into like horse people. Yeah, a weird turn, like the weirdest turn that we've we've seen in cinema.
Speaker 2: My favorite of the decade in ten years.
Speaker 1: So I said, there is a turn in this movie that's similar to that. Not to the degree of absurdity, but there is a pretty absurd part in this and I'm like, and Sam Rockwall's character is kind of setting us up for you know, when they're at that house where so you know something weird is gonna happen, and then something weird happens, and then it was like, something really weird happens, and I'm like, what the hell am I watching? And that was and that was the first thing I thought of was Sorry to Bother You Again, not to the same degree, but to the level of like, how does this play into this story right now? Well?
Speaker 2: Can I say? And this is why I loved this movie but it's not going to get a perfect score is because I remember seeing Sorry to Bother You advertised, and I remembered going into it and I'm like, oh, this looks like it's gonna be the black perspective of Office Space. I'm like, that could be a pretty cool movie to watch, and it in no way hinted at the two thirds plot twist. It in no way hinted at the greater socioeconomic They have the perfect jobs where people no longer work for money and they just work for room and board, and you have you have all these different elements all coalescing that the trailer will confident enough that it gave you like ten percent of what the plot was going to be. And I was like, yeah, no, that plot interests me. Half of the trailer was in the final fifteen minutes of this movie. They show in the trailer like, it's not a spoiler, you can watch the trailer. They show a giant hoof in the trailer, don't.
Speaker 1: Tell you how it relates to.
Speaker 2: They show you a scene that basically looks like it's the last scene in Toy Story when all the scary toys come out to scare sid. They show you that's the trailer.
Speaker 1: And I remember the wires or whatever.
Speaker 2: Yeah, in the trailer, and they show you the baby doll heads, which is what sticks out to me from Toy Story. And this was all in the trailer, and I feel like there was enough meat on the bones if you would have just shown me the first ten minutes. If the trailer would have been just different clips of Sam Rockwell in that diner trying to convince people that this was a good idea, I'd still would have been telling you, let's go see this movie and.
Speaker 1: Just like maybe like because the other thing we did to bring up is the people with the pig masks, yes, that are kind of after him. That was bizarre in it, and they you know, I just and did they ever really explain the pig mask thing?
Speaker 2: No, yeah, they didn't. There was some stuff left unexplained. And for the record, there's still a ton of strange crap that we're not going to spoil for you that was not in the trailer. There was one I had a classic Ben Kommeno's moment in the trailer. There's a conversation between a mother meeting two other parents and they're talking about a shared experience they had with their children, and they're talking about one of their kids being racist. And I couldn't still hold on in this movie. Yeah you don't remember, I don't want to.
Speaker 1: No, no, no, it's two mothers.
Speaker 2: No, it's a mother talking. It's one of the main characters talking to a married couple. It's a black man and a white woman, okay, and the guy says, yeah, our daughter's a little racist.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, I remember that part. I remember that I was the only one in the theater. Temple's also in this movie. I forgot about that too. Yeah, so that's another one that I heard.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's all weird as hell, and that's not spoiled at all, and.
Speaker 1: I loved it.
Speaker 2: There's there's plenty of weirdness that goes on spoiled. I wish this movie would have been a little more confident to maybe not play as much of its hand in the trailer, because I was sitting there waiting for the moments that caught my eye in the.
Speaker 1: That's a production company thing, that's not that's not an earth. Oh sure.
Speaker 2: But like I mean, I think I say it all the time about Civil War. You didn't have to put Spider Man in the trailer. I was freaking gonna go see Civil War. You could have hit me like a ton.
Speaker 1: Of I I I'm telling you, that's that's a casual thing. Like when people have people who have been avoiding Marvel because they don't care, you know, for years, and then you have this one that has all these characters and you're introducing Spider Man finally into the MCU. See, I got gotta put him in there for for us, No, we don't need that, yeah, but for for like that the what do they call in politics, Like there's uh, there's there's you know, the left side, the right moderates, the moderates. Yeah, you know, like the people could kind of give to craps and then if all Spider Man's in this one, I'm there.
Speaker 2: You know, I guess I wish and like this movie it doesn't have any brand recognition and they lean into that with U with one character that like what what character are you? And like I loved that because there's there's nothing recognizable about this. As we've highlighted a couple of times some of the cast. Sam Rockwell obviously huge blockbuster guy.
Speaker 1: Did you agree with me that you think like you thought he'd be in the movie more. I felt like I felt like he was in it a lot, but I thought he'd be in it more. Yeah, I wasn't. I wasn't put off by it. Okay, Yeah, I mean I wasn't put off by I guess I was surprised.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and you and I just have a different because it's like when I said Keanu Reeves was in was in Ballerina for fifteen minutes, You're like, it was longer than fifteen minutes. And we looked it up and it was like seventeen minutes. You were like, see, So like I feel like we just have a different perspective. Like to me, that was definitely longer than a cameo. I got enough.
Speaker 1: Sam Rockwell, yeah, I wasn't craving more. I just was. I just thought i'd see more. I guess maybe because there was so much exposition on Zazzi Beats and Michael Penis characters, Hailey Lou Richardson's character, we did get to see some background on Sam Rockwell as a kid, Sam Rockwall's character as a kid. And was there another flashback or was that it? I feel like there's oh ah, Judo Temple's character. Yeah, I can't remember what her name was now I have it up here. And then and then the other thing that we didn't talk about, Susan Susan. Yeah, how in this just do we find out what year this was taking place? It was at present day? I don't know. I don't know Okay, but in this reality, in this film, how prevalent, not prevalent, how common commonplace school shootings are. Yeah, I mean just like it to the point where it wasn't even affecting some of the parents at all. Yeah, it's just like, yeah.
Speaker 2: No, it was all very because like weapons to me, which we saw for the purposes of this podcast. It was supposed to be a metaphor for it was a very light handed metaphor. But it's like, you know, why this teacher's class all the kids go missing. It was clearly you know, playing on the school shooting motif, but not in a way that would be heavy handed, especially for people that might you know, why are there politics in my movie? This wasn't afraid to do it at all, and it's still felt very like I was like, no, this is basically where we're at right now, not in prevalence, but in attitude towards it.
Speaker 1: Well, and then the one that senior referencing before when the when them, I think those moms God, which is like, what's the difference, They're just going to shoot each other anyway.
Speaker 2: Like, oh my god, is your child completely unhymned?
Speaker 1: Well, it was. It was wild stuff. And and obviously that wasn't even the most ridiculous you know, no, no, not at all.
Speaker 2: And I mean there's a whole Michael Painis thing was basically like an updated version of the Faculty, which anyone who knows he knows I love the Faculty, and uh and and that was giving me faculty vibes the entire time.
Speaker 1: I didn't think about that, but yeah, that makes perfect sense.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's like a body snatcher type of thing infused with some tech and in a way that I could have watched a whole movie of just that. I'll be real all, Like I said, it's just like Black merr I would have watched a feature length of any of the premises placed in front of us. They basically took four different movies and tied them together in a way that was such a payoff. Like they say, he starts the movie off, Sam walkwell stop starts it off, saying.
Speaker 1: Oh I love that too. That they get right into it right away, right just boom.
Speaker 2: And he says, whoever comes with me, you're gonna chip in in some way, and they do so many I didn't even realize there was stuff that I didn't know the answer to until later in the movie. I'm like, oh, I didn't even think about that, and then he realized, like going on sabbatical and what does that mean? I'm like, oh, okay, So he realized, Oh, there's actually a way deeper meaning to that that I didn't even consider. Like you're like, okay, it's a shady thing that clearly it's not actually sabbatical. But then they give you that answer, and like there's so many little moments like that that absolutely paid off.
Speaker 1: I do like, and I talk to my wife about this because she didn't watch it with me. Did I just go out or am I still Oh? I'm still going okay, fine, all of a sudden, my ear phones went out. Headphones. The role of teachers versus students in this movie too, Yeah, Like, I wonder how many teachers watch this and they're like, yeah, we know this is satire, this is not real, but man, it feels real. I wanted to ask you this.
Speaker 2: Actually, I'm glad you brought that up because I do a lot of discussion of teachers pay and funding for schools and how do we get our literacy rates to be higher and all that as a non parent, And there's some people that will interact with my radio show and say, Ben, you're not a parent.
Speaker 1: You just don't.
Speaker 2: It's not like when you were in school anymore. Obviously this was too an absurdiest degree degree. But how relatable did you find it in terms of well, I'm not a teacher, but like are your kids on the phone? Like like do you know these kinds of things? Like do you always have contact with them?
Speaker 1: Here's the thing. I'll preface my answer by saying this, have you seen the trailer for Toy Story five? I haven't, No, Okay, So did you see how many Toy Stories have you seen? Just the first three? Okay? So the fourth one is kind of like a takeoff on it. What would you say the theme is in those Toy Story movies? What's the overarching theme for me?
Speaker 3: Like?
Speaker 2: So, wh I've always said that every movie is the exact same, like like the toys are like, we need to get out and we need to go to this place it's better, and then they get there they're like, actually it was better where.
Speaker 1: I was broad your scope on this, brought your scope on it a little bit. Think about the humans in the in the Toy Story movies? Just growing up? Yeah, and it's just like coming of age. Yeah, change happens, whether it's for the good for the better, it's just right. Well I shouldn't say right, it just happens inevitable. It's inevitable, like Thanos all comes back to Marble exactly. The trailer for Toy Story five could not be more on the nose. Then, what would you think would be knowing that this movie is coming out in twenty twenty six? Yeah, what do you think that the the antagonist would be in a movie about toys and kids? What do you think the antagonist would be in this movie? And by the way, it is based on the trailer, it is the villain.
Speaker 2: I'd have to guess it's like a console or something because they're all like old school toys and like they're gonna be competing against an iPad.
Speaker 1: It is something called the Lily Pad okay, yeah, which is basically an ipade. And this girl who got by the way, the girl who got all these toys, and she was playing with the toys at the start, and is it Andy's kids. No, it's like it's like a neighbor that remember we gave all the toys. Yeah, so it's her and then she gets this lily pad, and all her friends have lily pads, and none of the toys get played with anymore because she's on this screen.
Speaker 2: Which is literally the promise of the first movie, Like buzz Lightyear was like the.
Speaker 1: Malty, but that's still a toy. And I think Tom Hanks's character says something that like, you know, toys are for fun, but tech is for everything. The pig, when he realized, is that he's never gonna be played with, and he's like, I got DIBs behind the dresser, and then the dinosaur goes, oh, great extinction again. You know. I mean, it's it's a lot of it's a lot of stuff with it, and and it's true because like I know, like when I I'm trying to get my kids gifts for birthdays and Christmas, like when I mean, I'm sure it was the same when you're growing up. We got toys. Yeah, when we were a kid. It became and my kids are twelve and ten now, but it's become the last four years or so, tougher and tougher to get them toys to play with. When everything revolves around the screen, everything revolves, Oh I want Roebucks you know, for frow blocks, you know whatever. You know, they want all this stuff or whatever, so I can identify with it, and that to me is totally different than when I was a kid. Yeah. I mean I grew up out of little toddler toys, but I was still getting totally baseball bats, basketballs, yeah, you know, stuff like that. I was still getting stuff to physically play with and be active, and I can't remember. Oh, this is your question about my kids, yeah, and how they are right now. There is a fantasy football podcaster I listened to. His name is JJ. I think it's JJ zacher Reson. I listened to so many sometimes I get mixed up. But he said about iPad usage with kids. Who am I to say that my kids should not be well versed into something that's going to be pretty vital to them when they're in their teens in their twenties, Like they should be familiar with tech, they should know how to use tech or whatever. So for him, it was more like, I don't want to shut down screen time. I got to balance this out for what the world's becoming and how my kids need to adapt to thature. So he wasn't looking at like screen time is evil, screen time is necessary. It's it's the balancing act, right And so for me right now, for my kids, that's sort of how I take it, Like, yeah, you know, I like I played computer games video games as a kid, Like, so I'm not going to call out my kids for not doing that. But at the same time, it is a little weird for me knowing how much I had to read real books and write real stuff back in the day and now I'm not. And they socialized like we used to grow it's different. It's totally different because most of the socialization is done virtually digitally. That's kind of what I fix, sure or whatever, And it's totally different.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And like I always cause there's a couple of years in between us, and like video games were a little more prevalent when I was growing up, Like I got toys and we got video games. They're always joke up my show, I say, but the game sucked, like you couldn't sit there. But like Nintendo games were hard as shit, you know what I mean. Like GoldenEye, which is a classic to the guys of a lot of millennials, had eight maps, Like you're only gonna play that for so long, whereas Call of Duty it's ten minutes, ten minutes, ten minutes, game after game, all of a sudden, six hours goes by. You're playing with people around the world. If I were ten years old, it would have been a lot harder to get me out and throw football around compared to it's like, you know what, I've had enough of this game. Let's go outside and do something else. So it's different, But I'm always cognizant of me being told you're not gonna have any social skills, You're not going to know how to talk. And meanwhile, I don't shut the hell up, and I'm always social on the weekends and go out and do things. And I don't want to be that person who's like, well I didn't have this growing up, and it's going to ruin you. I don't know if it's.
Speaker 1: Just normal human nature to feel that way. Yeah, I was like, well, this is I like where I'm at right now. This is what got me here. I want the same thing for my kids, you know, because but that's not.
Speaker 2: My is The thing that will push our generation over the brink is when virtual reality actually gets good, which they dabble in in this movie A little bit and there will be people U There is a theme in this movie that has been explored a thousand times over in Black Mirror, in Adventure Time. And if I thought enough, I could give you ten more examples of if the virtual reality world is it was in Ready Player one, If it's better in the virtual world for people. Who are you to say, oh, come out of the virtual one?
Speaker 1: What was the one with Florence Pugh and Harry Styles, Oh, oh, don't worry about don't worry Darling exactly? Another example, right, and it's like, who are you to say? Leave that?
Speaker 2: But like as people that lived in reality will all sit there in our sixties being like in min day, the real world was good enough. Like that, I think is inevitably where that will be the breaking point. I think for a lot of millennials, because like I'm open minded, I'm like, yeah, I grew up on video games. I turned out fine. You guys will be fine. But that's gonna be and they that, like one character who was very anti tech finds a VR headset all of a sudden finds that there's another option out there, and they kind of they explore that theme, and I found it interesting they picked that because I've said for years that will be the millennial breaking point of just like stop stop acting this way, because I feel like my generation goes out of their way to like, nah, live and let live. We We we turned out fine. We were told eminem and the Simpsons and Mortal Kombat, Yeah, and Grand Theft Auto, We're gonna turn us in, all these crazy people. We turned out just fine.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so the majority of us. Yeah, although I would make the case that the people who didn't it wasn't directly affected by it.
Speaker 2: Those stiff exactly right. I mean, look at Mortal Kombat today, like it's hilarious to watch what they told us was going to corrupt us in nineteen ninety four.
Speaker 1: You know, I totally forgot about the whole Mortal Kombat thing because when I was growing up, I wouldn't even had the inkling to play it or watch eventually watch the films came out unless there's this big stink that was put up, you know, like I gotta check this out.
Speaker 2: Yeah, sounds awesome, exactly, And so these movies kind of shine a spotlight on that. When I was in Thailand, my friend even said, you kind of sound like a boomer right now, And I'm like, I'm not trying to I'm just saying, like some of the stuff, Fathers, what.
Speaker 1: Do you make of who did the character Ingrid? Who did she represent? Because she was very anti tech? Medically she had to be anti tech, But then what did being anti tech turn her into? She didn't have a great job, she yeah, to me, it didn't suggest that she liked her job, alienated from her parents, yep, I assume at least, And she just seemed like a very lonely person.
Speaker 2: And it even it goes on much further in ways that we can't go into this podcast, but it as it reverberates.
Speaker 1: But but the whole thing was like I don't know, man, Like I feel like you rooted for her, but at the same time, she's representing a section of the population that just is getting fewer and fewer, right, So I don't know what the meaning was there, Like like should we should we be anti tech? Shit is you know, regardless of whether we can be or not, But is it better off to be anti tech? Because I think that you know, the people that were pro AI and and and you know, the phones and the screens and everything in this movie, they're not really viewed as like heroes. They're not viewed as people you want to root for, And yet you're kind of rooting for Ingrid, but it's like, why would you root for her given what her forced status or forced philosophy on technology was. Where did that get her?
Speaker 2: And to me, what sticks out is the overall mission of the movie, right, It wasn't to stop the AI. You watched Terminator it ye, that's a great point. Bring that up to make sure this doesn't get built. This movie addresses the inevitability of these technological advances and the smart way versus the dumb way to go about it, which is probably the best way to look at it. I mean, we've been joking about it a couple of times during this podcast. I just used AI for my first time last week. I just yeah, it was to do these freaking clips that it creates.
Speaker 1: Wonderful.
Speaker 2: It's so convenient. But like I've always.
Speaker 1: I've never liked chat GPT or anything.
Speaker 2: Never used chat GTP, my GPT in my life. The only reason I use Elon Musk's AI is whenever I want to ask it to make Elon look stupid, and I'll be like, well, Elon Musk's AI says this, that's the only time I've ever used it. I've never used it for content creation. I've never used it to write an article because I don't want it to know how I think. I think that's one of the few unique things about me, is the way that I'm wired. And the more I type into AI, the more it's like, oh so Ben checks these specific boxes and I can now emulate that in a way I don't want to.
Speaker 1: Yes, that that that AI, that that you could actually understand what AI thinks about you because that and the and the and then would you view that as a realistic representation.
Speaker 2: Yeah, not a realistic representation at all.
Speaker 1: What are you scared of?
Speaker 2: Because it's only going to get better and have I.
Speaker 1: So eventually it's going to know you better than you know yourself. And that's scary. Absolutely.
Speaker 2: Have I told the Jet Lee story on this podcast. Matrix is one of my favorite movies.
Speaker 1: Have you seen it? Yes? Okay? Good? Uh?
Speaker 2: The Oracle has a bodyguard no name, Asian actor that was supposed to be Jet Lee.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 2: They offered him one hundred million dollars for that role. What and he turned it down?
Speaker 1: The first matrix. They were able to offer him one hundred million.
Speaker 2: Dollars because because they wanted to hook him up to a mo cap suit, and in nineteen ninety nine he turned it down and everybody thought he was a crazy person, and they asked him, why didn't you do this role, and he said, because I've spent decades mastering my moves. He says, nobody can do the moves the way that I do them. If I do this in a motion I'm paraphrasing, if I do this in a motion capture suit, they will be able to use CGI to make it look like anybody can do my moves, and I will no longer be an asset anymore.
Speaker 1: So he looked at it.
Speaker 2: He might not have made a hundred million dollars the rest of his career, but if you wanted somebody who could do unique, wild stuff in a karate action flick, you went to jet Lee because that was the only way that you could get it. And I'd argue that was in nineteen ninety nine, almost thirty years later, I think he looks like a genius, even though he might never have made that kind of money outside.
Speaker 1: Of it fact. But then at the same time, it's just like, Okay, that might be true, but now they could do that regardless of emotion. You don't need motion capture suits anymore to create CGI like that.
Speaker 2: But I think for specific movements, like they still use motion capture suits like Andy Serkis had to be Caesar.
Speaker 1: That is true. So that brings up another good point. Why do we need to still do this?
Speaker 2: If?
Speaker 1: If if our technology is becoming so good, why do we still need.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I got nothing on that, but like, clearly there's extra elements there. But so I say all that to say, like, that's why I avoid using AI. Like before I had a media career, I didn't do social media, Like I very much am ingrid, but like you're watching me almost transition before your eyes, be like, I guess I gotta learn this shit because it doesn't seem like it's going anywhere, and for the purposes of what you and I do for a living, you're kind of stupid to not I use it daily.
Speaker 1: I have to, Like it's just I mean for me, for like, for crafting social media posts, for crafting marketing emails, Like to me, it's it's such a time saver. Now granted, and I've heard this before too, and I heard this years ago. It might be true. I use a GPS all the time in my Yes, that addicted all the time. Even if I know if I have the route memorized, I still use my GPS. Why Well, Number one, it's because I tend to think about a lot of stuff while I'm driving. I tend to listen to a lot of fantasy football podcast while I'm DRIVXIT exactly unless I get that. Sometimes, dude, I'll even have the GPS route set up, and if I don't have audio cues on, I'll still miss it. I've done that dozens of times. So that's why I do that. I've heard that GPS. Using GPS a lot is going to make us less intelligent as humans because we're not using this part of our brain that figures out what we need to do without the aid of some sort of extra I do believe that or whatever. And my whole and and whether that's true or not, that's fine, But my whole thing is, like, dude, I'm thinking about my day. I'm trying to assimilate fantasy football knowledge while I'm driving. The last thing I need to do is figure out where I'm going. Yeah, you know, I always said this is one guy went to college with. I always said, like, when I drive, driving is like the seventh priority, which is terrible to say. And I've been in a car excidents before somebody, I shouldn't say that, but that, But that's sort of like my thing on it. And I do wonder as a society because if that's true about GPS is and and we both agree that it is, or we both at least at a minimum believe it, what does that do for us living on screens, computer screens, iPad screens, phone screens or whatever. And this movie really taps into this is what we think is a very realistic possibility, you know, in the range of outcomes, right in the range of outcomes, this could happen so much so that this guy gets sent back from the future, yeah, to sort of take care of this, to make sure that And it wasn't even it wasn't even a matter of like he wasn't coming back, Like you mentioned this earlier, he wasn't coming back to like take us back to a simpler time, right, because he's it's Rockwell's characters like, look, this is going to happen regardless what we need to make sure of is that that it literally does not kill us.
Speaker 2: That's what the whole thing, you know, to take it into the real world. I had a story prepped for today that I didn't have time to get into. They are using AI agents like the you know, whether it's chat Ept's co pilot, what groc whatever the hell, yeah, Gemini. Yeah, they're using it for wargame simulations. And regardless of which AI you use, ninety five percent of the time it's like three escalations in the AI is like, let's nuke them, and it takes my escalations and it's nineteen times out of twenty they're like, yeah, let's just nuke it. And like that's where these things are at right now, and like the whole point of the movie is making sure they're safeguards and not to get two into the outside the box weeds here. But there is a one company called Anthropic that was just basically designated an enemy of the state because they refused They refused to work with the American government because they said they had two stipulations. They didn't want their software to be used to spy on people, and they didn't want it to be used to create weapons. That fire without human input, and the US government was like, you know what, get out of here, and if anybody wants to work with us, they can't work with you. And so you've got simulations going straight to nukes, and if you've got the US government saying we want you to give us weapons that fire without humans doing anything, and then we're just like, oh no, this is fine.
Speaker 1: This is absolutely That's why I'm watching this.
Speaker 2: Movie and I'm like, oh my god, this If you study this stuff the way I do, you're like, this hits on so many different levels.
Speaker 1: And I think the obvious response to that is like, wow, that's you know, how could we as a peace will ever elect people that would be in a position two? Because it's all of them, Well, hold on to elect somebody that would essentially use advanced chat GPT or AI or whatever to be in a position to make a major decision that's going to affect millions of people's lives. Right, And then I think about him, like, well, I never thought Donald Trump would get elected not once but twice, and that happened, So anything's possible. We elect people that we believe represent ourselves. I mean, I think when people are voting that that is what they're thinking, Like, I want to vote for the person that I think best represents my interest in a sense would be most like myself. And I could easily see Tom, Dick and Harry. And this is what I was going to bring. I shouldn't say this, and hopefully she doesn't hear this. I have a friend who utilizes chat GPT more than any human should, huh, and for decisions that should not be made by AI, including a life decision. So not.
Speaker 2: I assumed you meant like trivial ones, but you mean.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, like what should I eat? What? Yeah? Yeah, No, this was to like should I marry this person? Okay? And and you know, and my I was talking to my wife about this too, and she's like, you know you can for the way you frame a question to chat GPT, it'll give you the reasons for yes for no, depending upon how you frame it. And I'm like, dude, like, you cannot. You can't ask AI should I marry this person? But maybe in five years that'll be normal. Exactly in ten years it'll be like you're stupid if you don't do that first.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah you didn't ask yeah exactly, yeah no, yeah, And I mean this film kind of touches on that as well. With the students they had to ask it who Tossky was or whichever whichever Russian philosopher they were going to have them read Michael Paige's whole Yeah, and the questions getting dumber and the questions get dumber and dumber with each student, like to the point where it's just like, Yo, this is like a book, but it's really old. Like it gets to that point and it's like that, that's a very real thing I saw in the Atlantic. Uh, college grads are using AI to write their resumes. Companies are using AI to read the resumes, and then it's just shooting all of them down. It's like a I can't even write a resume that gets accepted by AI.
Speaker 1: You know. So I had I had a zoom call with this film director in Austin, Texas. He's actually going to be shooting a movie up in Green Bay the end of next month, and he wants me to be like, he wants me on camera for it, but he also wants me to be a producer in it. And I can't really reveal what it's about, not that I'm not I shouldn't even brought that up. But he told me about this book and he's like, chapter ten or chapter eleven in this book is all about this subject that he wants to do it on it or whatever. And I'm thinking to myself, like, I'm not going to read this book. I'm much less a chapter in this book. Yeah, And then like on C like he knew what I was thinking. He's like, and you could just go to chat GPT and say, hey, can you surmise what chapter ten of this book by this author is? And you know, like boom, it's right up there. Oh yeah, and writing resumes and reading resumes at this point, Ben, Isn't it kind of stupid not to do? I mean, like it's all about working smarter, not working harder. Now, eventually, you know, the robots take over and human intelligence fails or whatever, but man, it's going to be a sweet ride until we get there.
Speaker 2: I'm so anti this nonsense that I filled out my performance review legitimately, Like I didn't even use my AI to be like, these are my goals for twenty twenty six. Like I actually was like, all right, what am I trying to accomplish this year? And let's lay it out there. I just I relate it to Ingrid so thoroughly other than like you know, the illness elements everything.
Speaker 1: But like no, I mean, but I think there's a there's a commentary on that too, like like we like we we all.
Speaker 2: I'm Will Smith and I Robot, you know what I mean. There's always that guy is always portrayed as the guy who was like, ah, they should have listened to that guy. And that's where I've positioned myself as well.
Speaker 1: Like you always bring up the religious woman in the midst. Yeah, you know, that's that's not.
Speaker 2: I don't want to be her, though I want to be Will Smith. I get it.
Speaker 1: No, but I just I don't. Okay, well, let's talk about before we wrap things up. What did you make?
Speaker 2: I could go for another hour, but.
Speaker 1: I know, yeah, what do you make of the end? We didn't really talk about the movie were talking about because.
Speaker 2: We'd spoil so much. There's so little that you can talk about in the plot, because the plot is why you go see this movie. Yeah, that's the best thing I can say about it. Fifty four minutes into.
Speaker 1: The and like, I know, if something is it's binary unique as a binary descriptor. But We don't always use unique as a binary descriptor. We use it as like a range of things, a scale of zero to ten, zero being I've seen this movie literally a thousand times to ten. This is the only movie in existence like this. What's the uniqueness fact?
Speaker 2: So that's hard. I'd probably have it at like four or five in terms of the actual plot points, motifs, themes, things like that, but probably closer to seven or eight in terms of the way it's actually carried out on the screen.
Speaker 1: Is it the ending? What did you make of the ending? And is there a message in the ending? Yeah?
Speaker 2: So there's two kind of twists that take place. I think one of them you could see from a mile away. One of them completely got punched me. The overarching plot twist I knew halfway through. I'm like, oh, this is how this is going to end? And sure enough, yeah.
Speaker 1: Are you talking about the penultimates?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I know. The penultimate scene completely caught me off guard. I didn't see that coming at all. I loved that.
Speaker 1: I thought that was so really, what's the one that you could have seen coming?
Speaker 2: Well, in like the last two minutes of the movie, I was just like, oh, yeah, that's actual.
Speaker 1: Son and everything. Yeah you saw that coming. Yeah, I don't. You're okay, So the one you didn't see coming is literally the final scene.
Speaker 2: No, you're you're inverting it. I saw the final scene coming, but but yeah, okay, yeah, all the other stuff.
Speaker 1: But in order to see the final scene coming, don't you have to see the penultimate twist?
Speaker 2: No? No, I mean I'm not telling you more what I mean off the air, but there there's.
Speaker 1: Okay, let's just get back to this. Yeah, this is what I want to ask you. Yeah, the final scene with those two characters. Is there a message to us in how it how this situation quasi resolves itself? Or am I reading too much? I mean there are elements of Honestly, you know what's ironic?
Speaker 2: Is it kind of to me? The ending scene is your last statement that you made like two minutes ago, when you were like, you know, the robots might take over, but until then, it's going to be a.
Speaker 1: Hell of a round.
Speaker 2: Essentially, what they're describing is the hell of a ride part in the final scene, and it's just like, look, everything's going to be totally awesome, and I'm going to make sure that it's totally awesome, And that's kind of the technologies philosophy there. And I think there's a lot of people, there's a lot more people.
Speaker 1: Than I think.
Speaker 2: I think listening to our voices right now, there's a lot of people telling themselves I wouldn't succumb to this. And I think there's a lot more people that want to use this shit to write their emails and want to use this shit to be told. Now, you are right about the decisions that you're making.
Speaker 1: Trust me. I'm an Ai chap hand raised on that one. Yeah. Okay, So I've heard people say to me and just people say in general that technology, it might be newer, but it's not necessarily better, right, Okay, Yeah, And while I think that's true for certain medial things, Ben dude, technology is so much better. Like, yeah, I mean there's certain things that I get annoyed about, but ninety five point nine percent of everything that technolog Jesus like it has made our lives easier. It's been so much better. And then these people that can you know, these you know, old men, crusty old men, a you know, it's all you know, better back in the day when you know, we had to go to eighteen stores to get all the things we need, we had to spend a whole weekend shopping. I like that a lot better than spending thirty minutes on Amazon and having everything automatically delivered to my house. Yeah what, Yeah, you know, you know what I mean.
Speaker 2: Like there's give and take. Though I've actually said this on my show before, because I'm clearly if you can't tell by this podcast today, I'm very skeptical of the implementation of AI.
Speaker 1: But I say I also I'm not well, I mean, I'm skeptical of it because I think that when we've had the opportunity to utilize new and exciting things, humans are just I don't know if it's greed. I don't know if it's pride, I don't know if it's ego or whatever it is. We usually screw these things up, for sure.
Speaker 2: But the comparison I always make is is like, if we were having this conversation thirty five years ago, would we be saying the exact same stuff about the Internet. I'd argue A lot of bad has come with the Internet, for sure, but mostly a lot of good stuff has come.
Speaker 1: I would I mean, like the stuff I do for work could not do a shell of it. I would not be employed by either of my companies if it wasn't for the Internet. But like, also, maybe that's true for most people. You're being spot.
Speaker 2: Oh, absolutely, it's true for most. As a former sales guy, I remember I was working with a bunch of people in their fifties when I was twenty four. We had sales Force as a software application. I had seven hundred and fifty clients that I'd have to keep track and it would be like, hey, Ben, you haven't called this client in ninety days, but oh, I should probably make my voice heard and look at these guys. I'd be like, it's like in the eighties, what were you guys doing, Like, well, how would you keep Trackers say, like, we get a book, we'd look at the last time we wrote something in the book.
Speaker 1: I think sounds impossible. The whole thing that technology gives you a scalability, right. Fantasy football company I work for twenty years ago, twenty five years ago when we weren't in business, came in business in two thousand and eight. Turn in the century. There is the world champion with fantasy football, and you'd have a thousand people out in Las Vegas drafting their high stakes fantasy teams right over the course of a weekend, which is awesome. You know what, We're way bigger than that company ever was, and we haven't gotten close to a thousand people drafting at once. Because of the Internet, people can draft their teams at home. They don't have to fly anywhere. The ability to scale sales is a perfect example. The ability to scale your client list and how much bigger you can become now because connectivity, Like you could be in Tokyo, you could be in Lisbon, you could be in sou Polo, and you are a click away, you know what I mean. And that is amazing and it's awesome, and I would say it's much more awesome than horrific.
Speaker 2: But the trade off is agency and privacy. If the algorithm.
Speaker 1: Agency privacy and expectations as well.
Speaker 2: Yeah, if the algorithm decides your sales company isn't gonna be seen, we're gonna put you on page five. Well, now, all of a sudden, your business. Maybe you were on Badge one and they could turn that off tomorrow if you say or do the wrong thing. Our emails get spied on every day. Is that worth it? It depends on who you asks. Yeah, but this AI conversation just feels like the next logical step in that conversation. And I don't want to be the guy who says, don't do the Internet. But at the same time, I don't want to be the guy that gave the Rubbers stamp till whatever the hell is coming up next. And that's the whole theme of this movie.
Speaker 1: Yeah, did I ever tell you? I might have asked you. Did you ever watch the HBO show Silicon Valley.
Speaker 2: You have asked me. I have not seen it. I'm familiar with this.
Speaker 1: So basically you should watch it. It's awesome. Yeah. The way that the series wraps up is they came up with this algorithm for compression and that it could de encrypt like anything, and they discover that it became too powerful that they could not unleash this on the world because privacy would literally there would be zero privacy in the world because of how powerful that they made. Yeah, So they basically and they're presenting it this big conference in San Francisco. They basically had to train wreck it on purpose so that nobody would ever, you know, find out like how good this And they were geniuses, you know. And then the very end of the show is there's a hard drive with this algorithm on right, and they can't find it. Yeah, of course you don't know what happened to it. Somebody has it somewhere, which.
Speaker 2: And that's even the point of the Terminator series. You think they stop Judgment Day and Terminator to Judgment Day, and then you find out ten years later someone's gonna build this. Like, even if you destroy everything, all you did was set it back. That's the only thing. There's gonna be someone smart enough to figure it out.
Speaker 1: The last thing I want to say about the ending is initially when I saw it, I'm like, boom sequel, because you know how my mind point is, I'm always like this is you know, because there's never really an end to any story. Every story really can take it. And so the first thing I thought of is like, oh, this is great. When we get the sequel, this would be fantastic. And I was thinking about it, I'm like, this isn't set up for a sequel. I hope it's not. I hope I don't. I don't think it is. I don't think you can continue. I don't think you can make another you could continue the story, it would not be anywhere near as compelling as this one.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I would agree. I think it was. I don't want to say it was lightning in a bottle, but I think this was a very interesting movie with themes that are very fun to dive into. Like, I feel like this is what Megan wants to be. This is what so many technology movies want to be in terms of entertainment mixed with high level commentary, and I feel like this found a really nice blend of the two. Personally, I like.
Speaker 1: The fact that Rockwell's character is allegedly from the future. I keep saying that because every description I've seen says, this man claims to be from the future. Yeah, so I want I'll be real. That influenced the way I watched the movie that you kept saying, well, that's how it was built, like, you know, because you don't know if this guy's from the future or not. And and I do like the way that he hit some great one liners in this and like it was just it was the perfect comedic spice on top of this intricate story that was that was great.
Speaker 2: I almost quoted one of the people, but it wouldn't make any sense. I'm still stuck on the conversation with the parents at the at the house.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, that was great, just the hole.
Speaker 2: Back and forth and like I like started off like casually laughing, and it just like kept building because every next line.
Speaker 1: To the point should I be laughing at this? She told, fuck, but it just kills Yeah it was. And then with the human advertisements too, I thought was great.
Speaker 2: That was fantastic, which like again, like I said, a lot of unique ideas, but very few things we haven't seen before, because that's Truman show.
Speaker 1: Remember when the Yeah that's true, He's like, what the hell are you doing? At a great point, I totally forgot about that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you've seen this stuff all the time. But it was done in a very cool way. I refuse to do back to back ten. So I'm giving it a nine only because I wish and I know you're gonna put it on the production company. I don't give an ish the trailer. I wish it had more confidence to not show so much of his hand before you got But what if.
Speaker 1: It would what if it would have done that? Ben? But I mean you still weren't going to give it a ten. I don't know, man, you might I might have backed back ten. Huh, who knows? Who knows?
Speaker 2: Someone said I should turn it into a catchphrase like it's a ten. Yeah, I'm not if I'm going to say it's a nine. Solid story, solid acting, fun plot. Like I said, there's enough plot twist that I didn't predict everything that was going to happen. It made me laugh. What else do you need?
Speaker 1: I'm going to give it an eight, and the reason for that was number one. This is not I mean I I always rate these films on my personal enjoyment, not what I think the masses would like.
Speaker 2: So this is not Yeah, I don't give a crap. This is this is me.
Speaker 1: That's fine, but you should rate it that way.
Speaker 2: Yeah, then you should as well. I'm not going to wait, you're doing it for the mass.
Speaker 1: I know I'm doing it personal. That's what I'm saying. I'm saying I don't rate movies for what I think the masses would like. I'm rating it based on my personal joint masses can go down. Now, well, this this is not like although I will say that you've really kind of turned me onto this bizarre sci fi genre sort of, it's not my cup of tea. But I still can enjoy that. So I'm not gonna it's already out of the running for ten because it's I and I have this thing too where I kind of make up my mind before a movie if I'm gonna like it or not. And this one I kind of made up my mind. I'm like, I think this is gonna be good. It will be great, but I think it's gonna be good. Yeah. So and then I just I don't know, I should probably be giving it extra points for the absurdity that happens in the last third of the movie or maybe yeah, last third of the movie or so, it's just sometimes I think it was absurdity for absurdity's sake, yeahl random. Yeah, And I'm just like, okay, I don't and and that was to me that that rubs me the wrong way a little bit. It's still funny, yeah, you know, it's just so I give it an eight, which is listen, I can't imagine a lot of people going to this movie and saying, oh, that was stupid. Yes, some people will. I think most people.
Speaker 2: I did look it up. It got eighty five critics and audience got My.
Speaker 1: Wife knew I told my wife the plot of this movie. I said, hey, do you want to watch a movie? Because we had nothing new on Sunday afternoon, So do you want to go see a movie? And she's like, yeah, which one? And I said, good luck, have fun, don't die. She's like what. So she immediately she's turned off by the title. Then I gave her the three sentence description of it. She's like, no, I'm not seeing that, Like, let me share the trailer. I'm not interested in the trailer. So she was out on it right now. Oh wow, she'd be one of these people to be like and she went to it. She's like, that's totally stupid, you know which I mean, it's it's fine because like some people like you know again, I make up my mind whether I'm gonna like something or not. She probably would have made up her mind that this is going to be dumb watch it.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, and if it's not your cup of tea, there's definitely not her cup of tea.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, exactly. By the way, that whole thing I played on the said on the podcast last week that I said I'd never let my wife listen to. I played it for Saturday night, so she heard that whole section, and basically she said, you know what, I think we should just agree that if either one of us has a chance to sleep with a celebrity, they do it. Yeah, And I said, I sign off on that hardly. So now we have we have a Rossqueller friends past.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that was that was really the ultimate goal of this podcast. We could hang it up right now.
Speaker 1: I know that mission accomplished, right, I feel like George Bush hanging up the sign. Mission accomplished. There's no reason to go for it. But we will press on.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and so you got to do this on the show or on the show? Yeah, okay, yeah, So the two now these are just mine too. If you have something else great scream seven.
Speaker 2: Comes out, okay, I figured one.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I you know, i'd have to catch up because I don't know at what point I stopped watching them, but I know I've seen several, which is fine. I don't mind it because those are those are fun cam'ty, yeah for sure, and they're usually not very long. The other one, and I can't think of the name of it, okay, Glenn Powell is in it, okay, and it's it's something to the effect of he has to kill all of his family members in order to get this inheritance or something. Oh, I did see that how to Make a Killing? How to Make a Killing? Yeah, yes, so there's that one, which I think is a pretty unique you know, and like I think, I don't think he was the only one in it. I thought that there's like the cast is pretty good. I don't know who directed it at all, but those were the two I came up with.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Margaret Quality, Jessica Henwick, Toafer, Grace ed Harris, Zach Woods.
Speaker 1: Zach Woods from Silicon Valley.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, no, I that one definitely called. Well, I'll tell you what, why don't we do that one then?
Speaker 1: Because I'm I'm good, But that's the way I was leaning. Yeah, let's do that how to make and that? Now, can we confirm that is out? Because I didn't look at it super close. I'll get a text message from you on Tuesday. Hey, it's not a.
Speaker 2: Hey I'm at Scream seven because.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because it's not. Because how to Make a Kill. So you have twelve hours to watch to watch, to watch three scream movies or whatever. Yeah, not that you need to watch all the screams, but I just I do think you absolutely would need to. Really. Yeah, are you all caught up on it? Of course?
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's already out, came out the twentieth Okay, we're good. Yeah, yeah, let's do that then.
Speaker 1: All right, how to make a killing next week?
Speaker 2: That's good, that's exciting. All right, guys, good luck, have fun, don't die, go see it, let us know what you think, and we'll talk to you next week