Speaker 1: Check Podcasts.
Speaker 2: Thanks for listening to the Donnie and Dolly podcast. Catch the show Monday through Fudday, ten am to noon on Check.
Speaker 1: I think you're gonna want to hear this.
Speaker 2: Your local sports coverage lives here.
Speaker 3: Two nothing, It's Alva not so fast Cohole Breadth with Don Taylor. I say that the winner of the draft lottery should be the winner of a two man loose.
Speaker 2: And Rick Dolly Wall.
Speaker 1: I had a cherry tree up little Ricky.
Speaker 4: I used to go up that tree and just sit there for hours and munch on those cherry years.
Speaker 1: Donnie and Dolly, it was a championship weekend across sports. This is Donnie Dolly the team on Check. I am Ryan Henderson alongside Rick Dollywall, broadcasting live from the Paul Carson Studio at Oh Boy Productions, Derek Wong directing the show, and Quinn Taylor in the producer seat. You're back.
Speaker 5: I am back from Terra beautiful City.
Speaker 1: Good time.
Speaker 5: Rained yesterday, but Friday is Saturday.
Speaker 1: Were good? It rained in Toronto.
Speaker 5: You mean yesterday was rain in.
Speaker 4: Toronto, which was brutal, But anyways, I.
Speaker 1: Got through it. You get Do you have any get togethers with anybody that you enjoyed it.
Speaker 5: It was a good time, good time had for all.
Speaker 1: I think the crown is flowing in Toronto.
Speaker 4: It was a good and I felt the buzz in Toronto, the World Cup buzz in Toronto. Yes, how do you not?
Speaker 1: I saw it at the airport. Okay, let me tell you.
Speaker 4: Think there were some guys on the flight that were going going to the game. We're going to a match, a match, Yeah, and it was. It was a whole slew of these guys and I felt the buzz of the World Cup. When Donnie asked me about the buzz last week, it was before any games were played. Now games are. I'm starting to.
Speaker 5: See the buzz at the Vancouver Airport, Toronto airport.
Speaker 1: It's a buzz, trust me. It's more than just at the airports. And we'll get into that as the show goes along. Canada, of course, with their first match one one on Friday afternoon, World Cup in full swing. Lots happening over the weekend. As I mentioned, championships galore, the Knicks winning fifty three years, Rick Nicks finally get a title in the NBA. So we'll get into that as the show goes along. And last night, of course, the Hurricanes, we shall mention quickly as well. BC Lions thirty one twenty seven loss in Saskatchewan. They come up short, Rick da little dejah vuish, little dejah vuish in my opinion, they had a lead late and they let it go. We'll talk to BC Lions quarterback Nathan Working around eleven fifteen about that and much more. But last night Rick the Hurricanes Carolina getting it done in game six, three to nothing shut out victory for the Hurricanes to be Stanley Cup champions. The statistics with the Hurricanes, Rick are just incredible. Sixteen and three in the playoffs the Hurricanes went. Of course, we know the back to back sweeps in rounds one and two, four game sweeps. Jordan's stall Consmith winner old this to do it. In the National Hockey Brandon Bussy. The Brandon Bussy story is incredible. Right backup, undrafted, undrafted, He made his NHL debut in October twenty seven years old, claimed off waivers. The Panthers are trying to sneak him through waivers. He was telling the story last night to Kyle Becossius about them. They were on a ten hour drive him and his fiance were on a ten hour drive and they diverted because the Hurricanes picked him up off Waivers. Taylor Hall wreck. The Taylor Hall story, I think is one that's not getting enough playing. My opinion, former first overall pick. We know in twenty ten, he's got eleven hundred games, seven franchises, he's played for in sixteen seasons, and he finally gets the Stanley Cup championship, much like Alex Ovechkin. That's what the NHL statistics they sent out today. It's very similar the two situations in terms of how long they had played and then getting their first title. So just very impressive stuff from the Hurricanes and they get the job done last night in Vegas.
Speaker 4: Okay, So for me, twelve million dollars under the cap, lots of value deals, no major horrible contracts, Like I think we got one great analytics department. They got a cheap owner there in Carolina and he just won the Stanley Cup. Yeah, Tom dund look what he's doing in Portland of the NBA. But the Trails guy doesn't do crazy spending. He watches every penny and he just won the Stanley Cup. Nine Canadians on the Carolina roster before you even start. There was ten eleven twelve on the Vegas team. So having Canadians and going far is important. Canucks are one of the lowest teams in the NHL with Canadians only two or three and they might lose two or three in the UFA here free agency coming up as well, So there's a lot of things. You mentioned a copycat league. So what are team's going to look at when they look at Carolina and how did they win the Cup? One area that the Canucks have not been great at is analytics. I'm sorry, but ye talk to people. If Evan Gold was gonna come here from Boston, he was going to revamp the analytics department. You know, the eye test. Most guys like the eye test over analytics. Analytics help. But Carolina is a great analytics team. Can the Canucks get better there? You know, for ten to eleven, twelve years, the Canucks have always been capped out, capped out. I know they got money this year, but they've always been capped out. Carolina just proved when you sign sensible deals, you don't get capped out, you know, And I think that's another issue right there, that they got to get better at And I want to bring up Jalen Chaffield.
Speaker 1: I'm sorry again, you can play that again.
Speaker 4: So I want to tell people that the Canucks signed him as an undrafted.
Speaker 1: This guy right here.
Speaker 4: The Canucks signed him as an undrafted twenty year old out of the Ontario Hockey League. They gave up on him. Carolina gave him a chance. He played twenty three minutes last night. Four block shots. He's a right shop. He's a right shot, top four defenseman on the Stanley Cup champions. He played eighteen games in Vancouver. He has played over three hundred games for Carolina. So what did the Carolina Hurricanes do with Chatfield that the Canucks couldn't do? They developed him. He went to their farm team. He was on a one year two way deal. He worked and worked and working. And I've told this story last year. Chatfield was a UFA. A Canucks showed interest. He's told his agent, I'm not going to July first. I love playing for Rod Brendam or the Campbell River Native And he went back there. Culture another thing that people talk about Carolina. Why they're so good, great culture there. Look at all those guys, how happy they were last night they all Miko Ranton and how do you feel today?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 4: You know, Mitch Marner said, nor to Carolina before he went to Vegas. There you go a lot of people said, we don't want to go to Carolina. It's not a sexy city. It's not New York, LA or Florida. But look at that. Yeah, but do you want to win? Want to win?
Speaker 1: Because you just brought up a good point, Rick, Because you know, we hear about Dylan Larkin reportedly Minnesota, Vegas, Florida. Who knows Darnold Nurse. We don't know teams. We know he wants to go to the East though, and potentially out of Canada. So who are those teams going to be? Are they going to be Florida? Are they gonna be like you do? You're right? You know we here we always hear all this stuff about Winnipeg. You know, nobody wants to go to Winnipeg. Tell me the last player that that is of significance that wants to go to Carolina. And yet here they are a Stanley Cup champions today without a superstar. They don't have a superstar. They got really good players, Logan's they don't have a superstar. They don't. I'm sorry, Logan Stankoviin's not a superstar. Yeah right, They've got really good players and they've put the puzzle pieces together in a really good way. And Rick, and look at how their postseason, their postseason struggled.
Speaker 4: You're a little bit higher than above average.
Speaker 1: But but you're sorry quickly. You're right about the player development thing.
Speaker 5: Then it developed.
Speaker 4: They developed Jake Zachfield when the Canucks couldn't do exactly.
Speaker 1: And that's what worries me here. And it's something you've been talking about because arguably the two most important people with player development here in Vancouver, they just got promoted, yes, and so how do you backfill that?
Speaker 4: But I give the Canucks credit for identifying Chatfield and signing him as a twenty year old undrafted player out of the HL. But they didn't draft him properly. He goes there.
Speaker 1: He didn't develop them properly.
Speaker 5: Right, Who is the last Riot?
Speaker 1: Every night?
Speaker 4: He plays twenty to yes five minutes signocking shots. I mean, he checks like crazy. He's a big guy, he can skate so well, he's a right shot. I mean, and here's the other thing about Chaffield. People don't realize if if they would have developed Chaffield, they wouldn't have used Horrorvat's first round pick to get your buddy Heronic. Yeah, so if Chaffield was here and a right shot top four d the Canucks would not have had to get Heronic.
Speaker 1: But it's something. If you look rick at drafted the draft history of Vancouver Canucks, you have to go a long ways back to see a player they've developed, because you don't get credit for Quinn Hughes. You don't. You know, the higher end players you don't develop. It's the lower end guys that you draft and you develop or you got you acquire from another team. You see something something somebody else doesn't and you developed them. And that story has not happened here in Vancouver in a very long time. In fact, all that seems to happen is the players go and they get to developed elsewhere. Look at put Coleson too, I mean, Pud Coleson's been developed by the Oilers and do a different kind of player that's fit perfectly for them. And look at Eric Tolsky's getting a lot of flowers today right justifiably so he could have made some bad moves to Rick He could have traded for LEAs Petterson, right, I mean, we know that they were very interested in Lias Petterson. How would that have gone down if if he had gone there? What do you fixed his game? I don't know, but but yes, everything he's done seemingly has turned out. The pivot off ranton In is something that we don't see in the NHL often that a tea takes a swing and quickly moves off that swing because it doesn't work right. Usually guys are pretty stubborn. I made this trade. I want to see it work. We've got to give him time. Whatever. No, it wasn't working, boom gone. You get stan Covin in there. I mean, and he played such a master a huge role for them. That line was just fabulous. But I mean, it's just all the puzzle pieces were there and they fit.
Speaker 4: We haven't even mentioned the Campbell River native Rodmore. Yeah, we ripping a year ago. Oh what's he done? He can't get over the Eastern Conference hump. They got over the hump this year, the Eastern hold on. No, no, no, no, stop. Let me get this in on Brendan Borg before you start ripping him.
Speaker 1: He's a b C boy.
Speaker 4: He should be in the Hall of Fame.
Speaker 1: Absolutely.
Speaker 4: He wins the Stanley Cup with the Hurricanes as their captain. Twenty years later as a coach. I don't know if you have that Quinn and him had taking off his shirt with the cup and there you love this video, This Rod brendan Bore. This is your favorite video of the better shape than most of the players. They're not an inch of out on this guy. He's in the gym all the time. Look at this Campbell River native and uh, he couldn't be in the media. He couldn't be in the media because I'll tell you no one in the media has got that body.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 4: But look at this Rod Brendamore. And you know what, he could have gone elsewhere. He to New York, La Florida for five million a year. He could have He loves Carolina, he loves playing, he loves coaching for that owner. And uh and I'll tell you something else, folks. When he retired, the guy that got him into coaching was a guy named Jim Rutherford. It was Jim Rutherford who said to Rod, Hey, you know what, Uh, you got leadership qualities, you should get into coaching. And uh, I don't think I look, I'm happy for Chafffield last night, but I don't think I was more happy for anyone more than Rod brandanmore last night. He's a great coach, and we talked about culture. We talked about Chafffield saying, no, I don't want to go to UFA status because I want to return and play for Rod. He's a players coach and good on him.
Speaker 1: My point on Brindemoor by the way, no, you were, and it still stands. Ray he's a champion today. Here's a Lukets Stanley Cup champ every year, not fifteen sure, but ultimately before this and they talked about this last night and the ice before this, the rep with the Hurricanes was couldn't get over the hump, couldn't get over the hump. Talented, couldn't get over the hump. They finally did it. That's good. Good for them. There are the Washington Capitals. The Capitals were the same way and they finally did it. But if you look back in the seasons prior for the Hurricanes, it's a lot of one win in the Eastern Conference final bow out and when they have amazing regular seasons. But they finally did it this year.
Speaker 5: Before Edmonton won their Cups. What happened Ryan?
Speaker 1: They ran into.
Speaker 5: No No, no No.
Speaker 4: They went to la and they blew a five nothing lead and lost six to five, and the media was all over him. You have to lose before you win, sure to struggle before you have success.
Speaker 1: So my point last year when I was bringing it up, is something that they talked about themselves last night. Their reputation was a team that couldn't get over the hump, and they finally did it last night against Vegas. And look, we're already getting people talking about their path being easy because of Florida situation and all gotta win.
Speaker 4: It's easy for every team exactly. It's still impressive. Path was easy for every team, not just Carolina.
Speaker 1: It's still impressive. Absolutely.
Speaker 4: Okay, so let me get some Canuck tidbits in here, because now we're gonna focus on Hockey's over. So now we've got the NHL Draft coming up. Now, we got free agency, we got July first, so the Canucks are out there, they're talking to a lot of agents. When I checked in this morning, I was told no updates on UFA's Teddy Blueger and Adam Foot.
Speaker 5: No, not Adam Foot. Teddy Blueger and Derek Forbert.
Speaker 4: I've been told this morning to keep an eye on Utah hiring Adam Foot as an assistant coach. There is interest in Foot from the Mammoth and I do believe they are trying to get a deal done. Let's see if they get it done. But this is going to help Vancouver. Patrick Alvin goes to Seattle, if Adam Foot go to Utah. I'm being told they're trying to get a deal done, that's gonna help the money. That's gonna help the Canucks on the dead money in management, every little penny helps, and it can help the owner. Maybe saying yes to a player for money. All that stuff matters. So just keep an eye on Adam Foot and Utah.
Speaker 1: We don't have time to get into this money thing that you keep talking about.
Speaker 4: You don't take it, so you you take It's not it doesn't matter.
Speaker 1: It's a billion dollar business, right Don't then don't tell me he didn't have a billion dollar business by giving away free money. Sure, but but don't then don't stand in front of a podium and say that these guys have all the resources, because they don't. If that's the case, if you're looking at an Excel spreadsheet and you got to balance every dollar in dollar out. You don't have all the resources. I'm sorry, all the resourcess guys like Ryan Smith and Utah resource guys like Foley in Vegas and what they provide, well, I want to see it's new game.
Speaker 4: I want to see this owner provide the Twins with better, uh absolutely better analytics. So that's all money, more money, more money into development because there's a ton of kids coming to Vancouver in the next three drafts. Development's got you pour your money into development and in the analytics.
Speaker 1: On the other side, we have a loaded show eleven fifteen. We're gonna be talking with Nathan Rourke. As I mentioned BC Lions quarterback eleven o'clock, Jamie mcclennan. He'll talk more about the Stanley Cup final last night, the Carolina Hurricanes beating the Vegas Golden Knights. We haven't talked about the World Cup yet, of course, as I mentioned, Canada one to one draw against Bosnia and Herzegomina on Friday afternoon, and then of course all the matches over the weekend as well. The city's been on fire, regardless of what you think it's the buzz is picked up in a big way some of the scenes on Saturday, specifically with the first match of BC Place. Yeah, this is this is incredible. We'll get to this more as the show goes along. On the other side, though, Doley is going to join us. Paul Dolan, our World Cup regular, He's going to join us as the tournament goes on. Canada's next match is coming up on Wednesday here at BC Place against Sorry. Thursday. Next Wednesday is their third and final match Thursday this week against Katar. Canada will make their debut at BC Place. Don't lease up next to talk about the World Cup. It's Donnia Dolly the team on.
Speaker 2: Check Donnie and Dollie. The team is supported by able Auctions dot CA Closing your Business we can help.
Speaker 3: Able Auctions specializes in helping British Columbia based business owners close their business and sell their assets in a timely, orderly manner online events for everything from machine shop and manufacturing auctions to industrial equipment, retail inventories or any other type of business assets.
Speaker 5: Able Auctions can help for a.
Speaker 3: Free confidential consultation on getting your business assets sold. Please email Sales at Able Auctions dot Ca. That's sales at ab LA Auctions dot ca.
Speaker 1: Hey Monday, and all of our guests today are brought to you by our friends at Passant Motors. Bright deals and better drives are ahead at Passant hit the road with huge savings going forward. Stop by their dealerships. They had a jazz and the team located at one six three one five Phraser Highway and Fleetwood, or check them out online at BA, S A and T Motors dot com. I don't know how we're gonna do this interview with Doley because according to you, there's no buzz in the city when it comes to the World Cup. Stop it. But we're gonna try our best. Paul Dolan joining us now from Apple TV and our World Cup regular Doley, how are you, sir? Oh? You got to saw so he had his red jersey on on Love and Friday and today you've got the white jersey on.
Speaker 6: From forty years ago. I can tell you that.
Speaker 1: Would you turn off your ringer?
Speaker 5: Ah? I am, it's off. Go ahead, go Doley go.
Speaker 6: It's more of the disrespect for soccer it is for anything else. It's got kind of a basement mil dew smelt to it for lay nice.
Speaker 1: So it smells like this room.
Speaker 6: I'm sure it does. I said to my wife, I got aware this the to the game, right the Adida section, the old Adidas jersey, and it's a size extra medium And she said, no, not very flat.
Speaker 1: Well, at least she's looking out for you. At least she's looking out for you. Let might do it anyway, so doulei. Friday afternoon, Canada's World Cup opens with a one to one draw against Bosnia and hertz Coovina. Your initial takeaways from Canada's performance in Toronto.
Speaker 6: So let's just talk about the performance, if that's where you want to start. It was okay, it was I guess slightly above average, you know, towards the end of the game, obviously, they really started to come on and show what they can do. When they're the team on the front foot, they're the aggressive team, they're the team that is pressing the issue. We didn't see that enough in the first half. And oftentimes World Cup games, especially the first game, especially with the nerves, your first ever game at home in a World Cup, obviously it is going to be at the point where you are kind of nervy and maybe don't play to your full potential, few wayward passes, this type of thing. But I think they looked in full control of most of the game. They just couldn't find that cutting edge near the end and to concede on a corner kick as they did with basically the only time that Bosnia really threatened Maxis goal in the first half was really concerning. And now you're chasing the game, You're coming from behind against a team that's looking to sit anyway and defend that and make it difficult for you to get through, and that's when you need your big players to jump up in big moments. Unfortunately, in the first half Jonathan David had that big moment and couldn't convert, and there was one or two other opportunities. But once the changes were made in the second half, and a lot's obviously being said about Kyle Laren and the big moment that he did step up and scored the time goal in almost the winner, you have to say that Ali Amat I think really changed that game when he came on. The former White Cat player came on, and his ability to not just go down the line like Tejon Buchanan was doing it and getting crosses in, but to come in centrally and really put Bosnia on the back foot on their heels, kind of not knowing which way he's going to go. He was creating chances that way. And credit to for ishmael Kone on the goal for driving the play for getting forward and then a beautiful one too with promised David who also came in as a sub. And those players had a big impact. Laryn scores a terrific goal. And so you leave the whole thing, I think in a good spirit because you've got the point. It would have been a disaster to have lost, and there were twelve minutes away from losing that game.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So Jonathan David Doley, you mentioned him a lot of talk about you know, he has struggled before this tournament as well, and that grade a chance sitting there for him and he couldn't bury it. Do you expect him to start Thursday? Will you be surprised if he doesn't start on Thursday?
Speaker 6: I won't be overly surprised if he doesn't start. But do I expect him to start? I actually do I think that you give the guy that I don't want to say has gotten you there. Obviously, as the host you automatically qualify, but over the course of the last number of years he's been an integral part of the team. Kenna's all time leading scorer, generally does it in the big moments. He's still getting into those spots, but I think that he probably starts with Kyle Laren, although promised David as well when he came on, had a lot to say, so I think promised David would be the first sub rather than Tanny Alosha. But you need to see how things unfold. If Katar does what they did against Switzerland, which was to really frustrate the Swiss, I mean they only scored the one penalty kick goal, then you know, if they're not able to break them down, then I think changes are made sooner rather than later. But I think you give Jonathan David and Kyle larn the startup front against Katar and try to get something early and then maybe it really starts to open up if Qatar has to push back the other way.
Speaker 4: Only what does Canada have to do better? What was your takeaway that for Games two and three that they got to be better at.
Speaker 6: I think it's I mean it's a simple thing to say when you only get the one goal, but they have to take their chances. They have to be more efficient inside the pendley or that the frustrating thing, or that maybe somewhat worrying thing is that we saw that against Ireland as well, a team that played Katar funny enough and played them off the park, but is not a World Cup qualifier and had a very young lineup when Canada faced them in the last game in Montreal, and they just were not able to break them down except for the corner kit goal. But in open play Canada has struggled to score as of late, and so that's the biggest thing for me is finding a way to finish. And for me it might include having a player like an Ali Amen because you don't have Marcela Flores as a direct dribbler. But it could mean that Mail Flora Ismail Cony does what he did on the game time goal, which was to drive to goal a little bit more. I think you need to get inside the penalty area because anything can happen once a foot gets stuck out by one of the Katari defenders or what have you. The closer you get to goal, and I saw it on Saturday night, by the way, when I was at BC Place and Dolly, I mean, let's talk buzz, okay, And I know I'm going off topic here, but I have to mention how incredible it was to be at BC Place in your home city hosting a World Cup. The last mile walk up, the activations on Granville Street, Robson Street was buzzing, the building was on fire. BC Place, the Adida soccer ball at Science World, it was incredible. It felt to me like when we were walking downtown in February of twenty ten. Honestly, I had that same feeling. And this is before Canada's kicked the ball in Vancouver. So the atmosphere with the Turks and the Aussi fanasy was singing down under. This is going to be something massive on Thursday with Canada and Qatar. And if they can do what they need to do, which is get out on the front foot early, get an early goal, and get that crowd behind them, it's going to be something else.
Speaker 4: Okay, let's talk about that game with Qatar. What kind of problems do they pose?
Speaker 6: Well, you saw against the Swiss that they were pretty resolute defensively. The keeper made some good saves. I feel like the Swiss were very wasteful in that game, and that's exactly what Canada. Canadi afford to do. But they're a team that will battle. You know, you think of guitar and you think of how small it is, but they've brought in a lot of players from different countries, particularly from Brazil and naturalized and this was ahead of the World Cup in twenty twenty two, that of course was held in Qatar. They've got an incredible manager who managed to Spain and Lopatagi, so they've got a guy who's very organized in soccer. As you know, if you can get a good defensive setup in structure, you can make it difficult for the opposition and then use your offensive players on the break when you counter. And Canada does lead the space in behind because they're a high pressure team that likes to put the bodies close to the Katari goal, and that means if you're not breaking them down and the Quitar team is out on the break on the counter attack, then they've got the space to run into. So that is the threat for Canada. But I feel with the strength of players that we have, with the fifty thousand plus backing that I'm sure Canada will have at the game, and the fact that they know if Canada wins this game, they're through to the next round and with a good chance of winning the group if they're able to do something against Switzerland, I think is a huge motivator and will be not the deciding factor. I think Canada is a better team.
Speaker 1: So do you think that draw on Friday puts any pressure on Alfonso Davies to come back for this game coming up this week?
Speaker 6: I don't think necessarily the result. I think it's literally down to what Fonsie can do for fitness. You can't press more or less based on the results that you're getting in the tournament. The fact that Qatar in Switzerland did tie, I think relieved a little bit of pressure, although you know, some people are pointing out the fact that Okay, well now you know it puts Qatar in the mix as well when you thought, you know, the top three to get through. But you have to have a mindset that you're not just going to try to get through as a third place team. You are a host nation, one of the favorite teams because you're playing at home and have a good team. I think you have to look at it as here's a good chance to win the group now, you know, with a win against Guitar and a win against Switzerland. I think you have to think of it that way, and at the very worst to win against Guitar and a draw against Switzerland. But I don't think that any of that puts any different emphasis on when Alphonsa Davies can play. I think when he's fit, he'll play.
Speaker 1: We only got about ninety seconds or doily. But which are the host nations you think is under the most pressure to perform at this World Cup?
Speaker 6: Funny enough, in some senses, Canada is because you know, I think Mexico will do well at home. They always do, given the altitude and just the history there. The US have to say this played the best performance is certainly the best for five minutes of any team that's taken to the pitch. Yet they were phenomenal against Paraguay. I've never seen them play like that. I think that pressure that was going into the tournament has been relieved a little bit because of how well they played there. I think for Canada getting the draw and having to win a game at the World Cup and having to get out of your group. Maybe there's more pressure on Canada than any other It sounds strange to say, but it's a big game on Thursday against a team you're supposed to beat that puts even more pressure on you.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Absolutely, well, don't we appreciate this And I'm glad you enjoyed Saturday night. The pictures just looked amazing and we'll catch up with you later in the.
Speaker 6: Week look forward to th Fellas.
Speaker 1: Thanks to Paul Dolan joining us from Apple TV and also our regular during the World Cup, Rick, We're gonna take a quick break on the other side. I want to talk a little bit more about the World Cup because I was at the fan fest on Saturday night out at the P and E, so I'm gonna share my experience on that and we'll also talk a little bit more about what happened over the weekend. It's Donny Doll the team I check.
Speaker 7: Looking for the ultimate Vancouver Island getaway.
Speaker 1: Head to beautiful.
Speaker 3: Parksville and experience the Bayside ocean Front resort, where every stay feels like a vacation you'll never forget. From sunrise walks on the beach to sunsets on the patio.
Speaker 1: Bayside puts you steps.
Speaker 7: From the sand with ocean views in every direction. Splash in the indoor and outdoor pools.
Speaker 3: Hit the fitness center, then relax with a hand crafted cocktail at the ocean front.
Speaker 7: Restaurant and lounge.
Speaker 3: Whether it's date night, a family trip, or a corporate event, Bayside is your perfect year round escape. Book your getaway now at two five oh two, four eight eight, couple three.
Speaker 7: Your eye on an adventure starts here. Remember that dead electric leaf blower in the garage, still hoping it'll come.
Speaker 1: Back to life.
Speaker 4: Opeic is PC's recycling program for battery powered and electric outdoor power equipment.
Speaker 3: Just like other electronics, electric lawn and garden equipment can also be recycled when it reaches the end of its useful life.
Speaker 4: All electric yard tools don't have to end up in the landfill. If you're an electric outdoor power equipment capy fixed, it could be recycled.
Speaker 3: Whether it's a leaf blower, trimmer, or lawnmower. Many can be recycled for free in BC. Visit opeic dot Ca to find a depot near you and recycle responsibly.
Speaker 7: That's Opeice dot Ca.
Speaker 1: Time now to set up our Wadling Dog poll question for the first time today, a reminder you can experience one of Victoria's iconic destinations. That's the Watling Dog. They have the World Cup on with Canada games shown live and loud on all of their twenty two TVs with full sound throughout the entire Wattling Dog. Come sit and stay at the dog today, Rick.
Speaker 5: All right, Quinn, get her up the waddling Dog. Pop pull question.
Speaker 4: What can the Canucks learn from the Hurricanes winning the Stanley Cup last night? Manage the cap better, improve analytics. Don't worry about size or everything. And look what's leading seventy nine everything? Manage the cap better. Carolina's got a lot of good value deals. They don't have anyone overpaid other than cock kick and the Emmy that guy, but that's probably their worst contract. Everyone else is pretty decent. There's no one that's super duper. There's no eleven point sixes. But anyways, improve analytics.
Speaker 5: They are.
Speaker 4: They invest in analytics. That's a high analytics hockey club, so they don't worry about size.
Speaker 5: Stan Covid Blake, who's the third guy?
Speaker 4: Quick seth Jarvis, Quinton Jarvis who is in six four twenty. So a lot of their skill guys are small, right, And don't bring up stan Covin and Vancouver, because the Vancouver Canucks took Danilla Klamovich five spots before stan Covin. Klemovich has not played a game in the NHL and has spent four years in Abasford.
Speaker 1: His contracts up.
Speaker 4: I'll be very interested to see what the Canucks do with Klomovic. So again size, guess what they got three small guys that are scoring in Carolina.
Speaker 1: It's interesting, Rack, and we're gonna talk to Jamie McLennan about this full disclosure. We pre taped with him. But you know, usually because the league is so copycat, right, a team wins a championship and oh, we got to do this now. But usually it's oh, they had really big you know defenseman, we got to do that. Or they had a ton of speed, we got to do that. It's the Hurricanes. It's like they just they smother you. For one thing. I'm not quite sure how you can they checked. They're one of the best checking teams need right, and so how do you copy that? I don't know how you can really copy that. You can't just bring in all that style of player. You also can't just bring in Rod Brindamore's system and the way he coached and the culture he sets and all those things. Like they're unique. They're a team that's unique. And you know, almost every other champion I think you could say, oh, they've done this really well, the Hurricanes seem to be a unique one. I don't necessarily know it's easy to just duplicate it.
Speaker 4: No, it doesn't have to be a duplication every day. They just have a coach, they play to a system, they believe in them, and they love their coach, and they played for their coach.
Speaker 1: What else?
Speaker 5: What else is there to say?
Speaker 1: So you raved about Jalen Chatfield earlier on the show. This is from Brian in our Bayside Ocean Rumbers or inbox. Send your submissions in by the way text us six four two hundred ninety four ninety four. Email the team at Chechmedia dot Ca. Anything you want from the weekend, Send us your thoughts into our Bayside Ocean Rumbers or at inbox. Bryan Rick Hindsight is twenty twenty. You can't complain about the Canucks letting Chatfield go. I used to listen to you on the radio. You and all the other experts never complained or said one word when he left Vancouver. It hardly got any media attention at all. Let it go. That's Brian, let it go.
Speaker 4: So we're gonna let go the fact that the Canocks out of defenseman here, they didn't develop them. He went to Carolina basically for free, and they developed him into a top four defense But how can you just bypass.
Speaker 1: That because I agree with what he's saying, Rick, Like, I obviously can't get in a time tunnel and tell you about what we were talking about the day of him being him leaving the organization. But I don't think anybody was sitting here going he's gonna be a top four defenseman and a Stanley Cup champion. My goodness, what happened to you? Not bring it up? You bring it up?
Speaker 4: Sure, because if they would have developed him like Carolina did, they wouldn't have paid money. They wouldn't have taken Horbat's first round pick to get Aronic.
Speaker 8: Yeah, well, you know what it feels like? Deja vu? For the last two years too, we're talking about goostaersly for the exact same thing.
Speaker 1: It's not the exact same thing because there's a stop in between. Yes, yes, that's the one difference with for Stille.
Speaker 8: But still it's still a defenseman that they didn't develop properly that ended up having a major role on the championship.
Speaker 1: Well that's the thing, Quinn. It's it's one thing, like because the the It's one thing when like Jonah Gadgovitch just won a title with flour Yeah right, no, but it's one thing when one of those guys leaves your organization and look at it just worked out. It's another thing when like Forestling and Chatfield.
Speaker 4: Are twenty plus minutes exactly twenty plus. He played twenty three minutes last night.
Speaker 1: Chatfield.
Speaker 4: Rod Brandamore loves him. We had Brendamore on the show. He was raving about chatfield size, his strength, his skating.
Speaker 5: So there you go.
Speaker 4: How do we not talk about it? Yeah, Like, I mean, but I know what Brian there and the Caducks gotta learn the lesson there, maybe develop them better. They had him in Utica, right, And it wasn't Travis Green, it was Jim Benning. It was better who had basically essentially given up on Chatfield.
Speaker 8: And I get what Brian's saying too, but like it's also we're not the ones who are supposed to like see these guys and know what their development is going to be, like like the Canucks should have I don't know which gym it was. They're supposed to be the smartest. They should have known the Chatfield was gonna turn into something like this. Yep, but the Connucks did a good.
Speaker 4: Job of identifying him as a twenty year old undrafted player so early. But the only played eighteen games here. The thing that burns yet he's played eighteen games of Vancouver, but three hundred plus in Carolina.
Speaker 1: I mean, come on, uh, this is Scott in Black Creek. Brian is bang on this and Rick every team as players that developed somewhere, Dude.
Speaker 4: The Canucks just happened to have Forestling, Chapel Gadgevich who have gone on to win Stanley Cups in the last two three years.
Speaker 1: I was gonna say, Rick, you're right, every team does have them. It feels like, again no statistics to back this up. It feels like the Canucks are the leaders in the clubhouse in terms of players that have gone somewhere else. And developed.
Speaker 8: You know what's fushmatable frustrating about that too. It's like it's not like the Canucks were great. A good team of Chatfield is Year or Forestley, you know, yeah, exactly. He would have had way more opportunity here on a bad team. Same with pod Coles.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, absolutely. Okay, we just talked to Doley about the World Cup. I just want to mention quickly for Saturday night, you were whooping it up at a at a wedding. I was at the FIFA fan fest at the p and E Grounds at Hastings there. Uh. I went with my son Max and my parents. We checked it out. It's it's really really well done. If you want a spot to watch games, not just Canada, any of the games, it's a really good spot because you've got the amphitheater, but there's also screens everywhere for you to check out. There were some things for my son to do. He's going to be four in July, so if you have a young kid, don't expect them to have a ton to do, but there was a there was enough to keep him busy. The one thing you're in for sticker shock when it comes to food and drink. Because yes, it's free to enter it unless you have tickets, reserve tickets and the amphitheater. It's free to enter it. But I spent fifty bucks rick on a slice of pizza, a Greek pita wrap, a bottle of coke, and a bottle of water. It was fifty bucks, yep.
Speaker 5: But why didn't you before you went there?
Speaker 4: You know these guys, Yeah, they're gonna they're gonna take you to the top of the mountain. They're gonna take your wallet, and they're gonna say give us everything.
Speaker 1: I mean, come on, Yeah, you know it's it is a bit steep, but it was my choice. It was my Well, no, you can't take there's a lot of things you can't take in. That's the other thing. If you're going, check out the website before because there's a lot of stuff that was left at this You can't take spray, sunscreen in. There's a lot of restrictions, so make sure you check it out before you go. Don't just think you can take whatever into it, especially with the.
Speaker 5: Be the food prices they got you.
Speaker 1: It's still it's still you're right, and a lot of this stuff glosses over me now it's still gross. And it's not just there. It's in the buildings, it's for Canuck games, it's for white it's for everything. It's the prices are just nuts when you're asking people to pay what they're gonna pay on top of their ticket prices. Again this was free, but still just it's it's it's a lot. But anyway, and look, I really felt that kidding aside, the buzz is kicked up in a big way here. The scenes on Saturday night with that Australia match were unbelievable. Derek, you got this video. This was This is Kenneth Chan from the Daily Half. This is Gramville Street Rick at one am on Sunday morning, late Saturday night after the Australia match let out. It's packed, jammed and they've done a great job. They've shut down the cars on Granville, They've got all these activations so they've really you know, got the pedestrians to really flock to this area, which is gonna be great for all the businesses, but it's you know, you kind of forget how multiculture of this city is, and you also forget how many people will travel and support their soccer team, like some of the Australia fans and the crowd specifically, and this is not knocking Turkey, but the Australia fans and the emotion and the passion and they're singing down Under at the end of the match. Just unbelievable, unbelievable stuff. Just quickly, some other notes from the weekend. Doley touched on at USA pounded Paraguay for one, Germany over Curisaw seven to one. That was massive. Brazil and Morocco won one. As I mentioned, Australia over Turkey to nil. Today Rick Seattle gets their first World Cup match. Belgium is taking on Egypt down in Seattle, so they're gonna get their first taste of the World Cup. Fans are actually going into the building right now in Seattle, so some good stuff there. I'll have more on the World Cup in DTMZ. Some interesting stuff with these restrictions about brands. If you're not a FIFA partner, you can't be talked about wow. So we'll talk about that coming up in DTMZ. Quinn's got big Rye coming up in a moment, But first we're gonna talk about our friends at Able Auctions, our title sponsor Able auctions is Jeremy Dodd. June the twenty third, Abel is going to sell the contents of a closed communications contractor thirty trucks in vans including bucket trucks, bucket vans, service vans, and other others, plus over one hundred commercial grade ladders. You need a ladder, recko look.
Speaker 4: At these ladders.
Speaker 1: One hundred commercial grade ladders and wire inventor everything from bucket trucks to ladder sold to the highest bidder. Coming up on June the twenty third. For information on this communication contractor closure auction, say that ten times fast go to able Auctions dot ca. In to get your business assets sold at auction, you can always email sales at able Auctions dot ca. That is sales at a b l E Auctions dot ca. A eleven o'clock Jamie mcclennan eleven fifteen. Nathan Rourke Up next though It's Big Rye featuring Quinn Taylor, Donnie Dall, the team on Check.
Speaker 3: Three foot hot Dogs, postgame fireworks, Friday noonters and the future Toronto Blue Jays Right in your backyard. Catch a Vancouver Canadians game this summer as they celebrate seventy five years at Bailey Stadium. For tickets, promotions and more information, visit Canadians Baseball dot com or call six oh four eight seven to two five two three two today.
Speaker 1: Just before we get to Big Rye the Twitter guy featuring Quinn Taylor, this is a very good submission, Rick, It's unsigned. Unfortunately, Brian is one hundred percent correct. This is going back if you're just tuning in. Brian sent us a submission. I'm not sure where Brian's from, but he emailed us in our baseside Ocean from resort inbox saying that Rick was doing some hindsight when it comes to Jalen Chaplin and the Canucks. This is good. Though we can cry about missing out on guys we didn't develop, but what about Joshua Sherwood, Garland and many others. Those are all guys that came in as nobody's in the Canucks developed them. Dakota Joshua's one, specifically Rick and Dakota Joshua.
Speaker 4: Those guys aren't winning Stanley copp No, but guys the Canucks are letting go or winning Stanley Coppers.
Speaker 1: That's a big difference. Sure.
Speaker 8: And also Garland got traded for a ninth World exactly, da.
Speaker 5: Quota joshuas struggled this year in Toronto.
Speaker 1: Okay, but hold on, he's had some health considerations that have played into his struggles since that time, exactly.
Speaker 4: I don't think those are the right. The guy that they did develop was Sherwood.
Speaker 1: Developed.
Speaker 5: Sherwood went salary wise to a crazy number. Yes, went from under a million to five. Yes.
Speaker 4: And and that's the guy if you want a pinpoint. But to say Joshua who struggled this year in Toronto with injuries, and uh, also, who's the other guy?
Speaker 8: Garland?
Speaker 1: Garland Garland. I went to lump in here because you're right, Quinn, he was part of a pretty expensive trade package. But but but you.
Speaker 4: Can absolutely say Orsling was a draft pick they gave up on quick quickly.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 5: He uh, what's his name?
Speaker 4: Chaff Field was a signing by the Canucks out of the OHL. He was young too. So you had these kids when they were young, you could not develop them. They go on to win Stanley Cups elsewhere and play significant roles.
Speaker 1: That's a big difference.
Speaker 4: I would also put pot holes in there too, Pod Colson, but he hasn't.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I know, but he's still he's still developing.
Speaker 1: Was absolutely. I'd say they developed Dakota Joshua. And by the way, one of the guys apparently that was responsible for finding Dakota Joshua was Ryan Johnson.
Speaker 4: Ryan Johnson played a big role in Why Dakota josh Vancouver?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Absolutely, Okay, big Ryan now featuring Quinn Taylor.
Speaker 8: Yes, yes, so. Well, the first thing I wanna show you, guys is that when I actually asked you a question, Jordan's Stall he won Con Smythe yesterday, he was the oldest Con Smith winner of all time? Who was the last? Who's the second oldest winner?
Speaker 9: Well?
Speaker 1: I saw this, did you see it? It has a twenty eleven connection, right, that's Tim Thomas, Tim Thomas, Tim Thomas.
Speaker 8: So Tim Thomas won it, yes or Tim Thomas was the oldest player before Jordan Stall won the Con Smythe and then Jordan Stall won it yesterday, taking over the oldest player ever. Which is crazy too because it's like him when they went in a two thousand and nine Yeah with the pe Penguins, Ye seasons, all that time of between. It's kind of like last year two with Marshawn when he won in twenty eleven and had the long gap in between the four, winning again of Florida.
Speaker 1: So am I the only one? I don't get this debate with who was going to be the guy to win it? Really, who's it going to be other than Jordan Stall.
Speaker 8: It's not like Jordan Stall had an insane like entire all four rounds. It it's not like he was the best player every single round.
Speaker 1: But let's be honest.
Speaker 8: It's not the finals NVA. Yes it is, but it's not. It is, but it's not. It is, But the NBA one is called the NBA Finals. Sure, this is, this is the playoffs for everything. But this is this is what it always has been. It always has been this way.
Speaker 4: Right when he had six goals and six games, he was almost seventy in the face off, sir Ya. When he scored the two goals in Vegas, John Tortorella went out of his way? Where did he score the two goals.
Speaker 1: In front of the net?
Speaker 4: John Tortorella went out of his way. We got to fix that. That guy is getting there. He's doing too much damage in front of the net. Yeah, when the other coach goes out of his way to mention you without being asked about you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he had a great final.
Speaker 8: It is, but I think it's it's more about all four rounds, that's what it's called. But it's not I still probably would have voted for him. So this is this is weird for me saying this. But Taylor Hall and Stan Covin and all those guys they probably had it like out of all the four rounds, they had way better playoffs.
Speaker 1: Okay, but so then so based on that though, then it should have been Marner. But what happened with Mitch Marnos. Yeah, but you see, I mean, look at McDavid won it right here. They want it. But you're right, it doesn't happen often. But Marner had a quiet Stanley Cup final though as well, especially the outside of the hat trick game. Right outside of that one game, he had a quite so I think that hurt him in winning it. The leader, by the way, in terms of points for the Hurricane side was Jackson Blake and Taylor He had twenty, Taylor Hall had nineteen, and Nick Eithers. By the way, and his postgame interview after I think it was Ellie had asked him about what he would say to the people of Winnipeg, and he got really choked up talking about Winnipeg. But he again, there's another move that just fit perfectly with that team. They talked about forever needing more scoring, and they needed that guy that when you needed a goal you could look to him. And Nick Eithers was kind of that guy. I just wasn't overly surprised. And I saw people the discourse last night of like, oh my god, I can't believe it's the Jordan Stall story was just so good and and and and I think you and I agree on this, Queen. I think a lot of the time legacy comes into some award voting. I hate that I do too, And I think that that played here. The Jordan Stall story played here too. Not just what he did, like Rick said, six goals and six games. I mean, that's impressive feed in itself, but the story and the the age and the gap and all that stuff, it definitely plays into voting.
Speaker 8: Like if you take off Taylor Hall or Stan Covot or Blake or any of those guys, they probably don't get to the Standing Cup Final.
Speaker 1: No, you know, Freddy Anderson, four lines.
Speaker 4: Everybody contributes. You look at their fourth line and look at their third pair. Those guys contribute as well. It's a total team effort with that club.
Speaker 1: Yes.
Speaker 8: The next I want to show here is at Arlington, Dallas.
Speaker 1: Jerry World.
Speaker 8: Yeah, Jerry's World.
Speaker 1: Uh, what's Jerry's World? The Dallas Cowboys Stadium.
Speaker 4: Okay, you're talking like their.
Speaker 1: P and E or something. I don't know. Jerry World, the big building in Dallas, I get it.
Speaker 8: Anyways, after Japan played their first World Cup game, fans at the stadium cleaned up not only the bleachers and where they were sitting and stuff, but the players. They also cleaned up and folded all their clothes in the dressing room, which no other team does this, No other team in any other league does. This is japan thing. They do this every single World Cup, every single sporting event, every sporting event, even in Japan.
Speaker 1: They do that. It's amazing and I don't think it's featured here. Quinn. There was another photo where all the pennies for all the subs would like fold it perperfect in a corner.
Speaker 8: And all the garbage bags that you see the fans with they brought that all from home. Yeah, they brought this. It's not like a gimmick or anything they brought in. They did it all themselves.
Speaker 1: Really impressed of Japan and Netherlands. By the way to to draw yesterday, some people say most entertaining match of the tournament. I'm not going there because the first half was a dud. It was the second half where it really became really interesting. But it's just these fans, it's amazing and the shots of them cleaning up. And this goes to something that I witnessed at the fan festival on Saturday. Why are some people pigs? Like why like we stopped for a.
Speaker 5: Shady break alcohol related? I guess, I mean there's alcohol.
Speaker 1: We stopped stop, we stopped for a shady break. And on the grass there there's two cops like with like they had mixed drinks in them and they were just like discarded on the grass. Can we not take them to the garbage can? That's like literally within seeing distance of this, Like how lazy? Well, like, why don't we just turn into animals? Like at home, you clean up your stuff unless you quinn. According to your dad, you clean up your stuff. Then we go to like a movie theater or sporting event or anything, and it's just like we become animals, just leave our crap everywhere. I don't get it.
Speaker 8: Well, speaking of that, and this kind of contrast with what happened with the japan fans is when the New York Knicks they won on Saturday night. Look at sixty three people got arrested, four stabbing, yeh one shooting after I don't know if you saw some of the videos, but people were fighting, going after stats, fans now growing school buses.
Speaker 1: I will say, though, sixty three people in the mass of a humanity, it's not that much. Now. The shooting was also very okay, it was very scary, clearly obvious.
Speaker 8: Okay, but it's sixty three people arrested. But that doesn't mean there's not more committing crime.
Speaker 1: Sure, sure, but by and large, and somebody posted a video actually so they won on Saturday night, the Knicks did. They posted a video of Times Square on Sunday morning. It was impeccable. Like the sanitation workers there must be the best in the world. There was not a piece of garbage. There is no remnants of a massive amount of people celebrating that Nicks win on Saturday night. It was very impressive, but yeah, there was some damage. They destroyed a school bus which the school bus was being used. Actually, I think for FIFA transportation.
Speaker 8: That was stupid. That was so stupid. They had like ten school buses in the middle of time. I know, I know, I know, I know, I know. I don't know what they were thinking. I know what it's like here.
Speaker 1: When they had those cars parked right outside of the Canada Post Building in twenty eleven, they were just sitting there. It was perfect. He was ready. But anyway, the scenes out in New York though, were something impressive. I mean fifty three years and we talked about this a lot. It's a unique situation in that, let's be honest, everybody that's a basketball fan there is a Knicks fan. Like there's what, there's ten Nets fans. Come on, if any of those other teams win in New York, it's split much more. This is a universal thing.
Speaker 4: Like when the Devils won the Cup, it was not a big deal, no, because if the Rangers win the Cup, it'll be like the Knicks. As I think that Rangers fans in New York are right there with the Knicks fans.
Speaker 8: Oh no, I don't think you because Rick thing is Islanders fans.
Speaker 1: I'll fight you on that. Islanders fans specifically, maybe not so much the Devils. There's so many Islanders fans care.
Speaker 8: There's way more like Islanders fans who are Knicks fans than there are Nets fans.
Speaker 4: Yes, absolutely, don't underestimate New York and how hockey crazy they.
Speaker 1: Are, sure, but but there again, it's split. It's like baseball. There's a ton of Mets fans. They love their hockey. Yeah, oh absolutely absolutely. But anyway, thank you for that, Quinn, appreciate it. You're doing a great job with big guy. I'm getting a little nervous. Actually, I might be losing out. You might have to zoom in every day from home and we'll have.
Speaker 8: One I keep on coming on't I don't get it like I've been on Monday in the past like three weeks, I know, and I find out like at Sunday nights.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's all your pops is planning as usual. It's crack system. We got running around here on the other side, a loaded eleven o'clock hour. I do want to mention, is it just me coming up around eleven forty this morning? Brought to you by OPEI c get your submissions in for is it just me anything over the weekend? You want to share your thoughts on six oh four two ninety four ninety four. Email the team at checkmedia dot Ca. All of that into our Bayside Ocean Front Resort. Inbox eleven fifteen, Nathan Rourke, Bclyons quarterback is going to join us. We'll talk about the Lions loss disappointing loss in Saskatchewan with Nathan up next though more on the Stanley Cup Final, the Hurricanes or champs. Jamie mcclennon is next. It's Donny Dolly the team on check.
Speaker 3: Hey everyone, it's Donnie and Dolly and we're looking to partner with your company.
Speaker 4: We have several packages and price points to fit your budget and spread the word about your company on the show, in our podcast and on social media.
Speaker 7: We'd love to get involved with your company.
Speaker 3: Called two five oh eight, eight oh twenty two eighty two or email advertise at Checkmedia dot Ca.
Speaker 1: All of our guests today brought to you by Bassont Motors hit the road with huge savings at Baisant Stop by their dealership located at one six three one five Phraser Highway in Surrey, or check them out online at Basa and T Motors Dot Calm Stanley Cup awarded last night in Las Vegas. If there's a better? Is there a better? There's no better place to win the Cup as an opposing team than Vegas. Oh, like the parties built right in, party time, Like even over La New York. Vegas built right in. And the Hurricanes had no problem celebrating based on some of the videos on social media last night, Hurricanes over the Golden Knights three nothing in Game six. We're joined now by former NHL goaltender TSN NHL analyst co host of Overdrive. He does it all, Jamie mcclennan. Jamie, thanks for doing this today. How are you, sir? Too bad?
Speaker 9: You guys doing today?
Speaker 1: Very good? Very good. So all of the statistics, Jamie, with the Hurricanes are just so impressive, Like they really did steamroll the playoffs for the most part. How impressed were you by what they did? And were you so prized at all? This thing didn't go to a seventh game?
Speaker 9: I was first all work backwards. I was surprised that didn't get to a seventh game because I thought Vegas was going to have their best opportunity and in their best game, and to be honest, I couldn't tell if they did or not because Carolina was too dominant. There was no time or space out there. Carolina was relentless with their four check, relentless on pucks, even offensively. When you think that maybe Vegas had a lane to get towards the net, there'd be a stick out of nowhere that would disrupt the play. And when they did get through, Bussy was unbelievable. Now he got a couple bounces, so one off with Jack Eichel on the back door, off the crossbar, another one that goes on the top of the net and drops down. But you need to have luck when you're playing well, and Bussy was brilliant. You look at Frederick Anderson. To get there was great. But for them to only lose three games, and I go back to I have to laugh out loud. Do you remember when Montreal absolutely destroyed them in that first game?
Speaker 1: Oh yeah?
Speaker 9: And Rod Brandemore's media after the game, I was on a panel and I was actually laughing out loud because He's like, I've eight years, I've never seen anything like that. I've never seen Jacob Slaven play that bad. I've never seen our team not check and get away. He was absolutely honest and dumbfounded. And I kept thinking to myself, Okay, well, you know Carolina is in one that was the exact opposite, because every time you thought there was going to be a little crack in their play, they bounced right back and were able to get to their game plan. And you see every interview on the ice last night at night, whether it was Jordan Stall or Taylor Hall or Jordan Martin Hook, all talked about guys buying in. All talk about Rod brandanmore and what he brought and how hard he worked for that group. I mean, that is a team that emulates their coach and they they just steamrolled the playoffs and I'm happy for him. They're a likable group. You see Eric Toulski. People are talking about analytics versus the eye test.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 9: Tulsky's a brilliant you know, a brilliant guy. I kept thinking, Okay, Brandon Bussey, who gets a shoutout last night, was pulled off the Waivers, Goss the Spear, who I think was the fifth guy they handed the cup to, you know, another efficient signing. You look at some of the moves that were made stank Hoven, you know, you take a big swing and and you know with the moose, and he decides he doesn't want to stay. And what happens, stank Hoven stays and gets a cup. So Taylor Hall signing. You know, people thought maybe Taylor was at the end of his career. He finds a way to find a home there. All of the moves that Carolina made kind of just all fell into into line. And Rod Brindemore is the kind of the head of that snake. I was very happy for them and to see them win last night.
Speaker 1: We got to expand the Brandon Bussy story. Jamie, as you said, claimed off Waivers. He made his NHL debut in October. Just everything about this guy and he's an amazing interview last night postgame, just so humble and just pointing to the team entirely. Where do you know we get these stories in the playoffs of you know, a long shot guy, maybe not a goaltender. But where does this story rank for you in terms of these players that you see win a cup and it's completely unexpected.
Speaker 9: Well, I mean it's right up there because it's the storyline. Again, you know, Frederick Anderson was the guy was twelve and I think twelve and two. Yeah, the playoff yeh, I mean, unbelievable record, So you're looking at it. He really didn't do anything wrong. I don't know if he was dinged up or he was obviously, you know, struggling with mental health because of Claude Lemieux all of that type of stuff. It's a it's an unbelievable storyline and you think about it on so many different levels. Bussy won thirty one games for them this year. He was on This wasn't you know the Jamie mcclennan sitting there on the bank for seventy games Like this is a guy who was their number one goaltender and they went to Anderson because of the experience in the playoffs, and it paid paid off. You know, this is a scenario where when you look at tandem situations, they ended up having to use both goaltenders to get this done, to get this over the line. And it's a good lesson for a lot of teams that we'll call it. There's thirty two teams in the league. There's probably twenty five teams that are in a tandem situation. Outside of the Winnipeg Jets, the Tampa Bay Lightning, the New York Rangers, that type of stuff that have clear cut starting goaltenders. So it is kind of a lesson of how you're able to use both goaltenders regardless of the situation. They found a way to do it. So Bussy's an unbelievable story. I don't know what his future holds. I think he's a fantastic goaltender, but you know, could you see him having a market correction next year? Maybe the teams figure out him a little bit. Him being a twenty seven year old rookie. I watched him in the AHL All Star Game a couple of years ago when he was with Providence. You know, he certainly's had a unique career and pathway. I think of Logan Thompson, a lefty goaltender who was kind of a erratic in the net. Aggressive. You know, Logan has kind of found a way to be at the top of the goaltender hill and it's taken him a while and a unique path as well. So it's a great story for Bussy and a great story for Carolina.
Speaker 5: And another great story is Jordan Stall.
Speaker 4: Thirty seven year olds are not supposed to win the cons Mike Jamie, what did you think of him?
Speaker 9: I thought he was brilliant and I loved his emotion. In his interview afterwards, he was tearing up, saying like I just wanted it so much. I mean, here's a guy that goes seventeen years in between a Stanley cop. You know, wins one as a rookie in nine you think, oh, you win something as a rookie, you think that's gonna happen every year. Took him seventeen years to raise it again. And I was, you know, the con smythe was warranted his body of work in the finals. I know Mitch Marner had a bunch of points, and I think there was a lot of people that thought he was just gonna be his regardless, It's just a great story and it's nothing to do more. It's more about Jordan Stall than it is about Mitch Marner, because I think Mitch Marner was fantastic in the playoffs. But I look at it, when Carolina needed somebody, they needed a big goal, a big play of fasaw, it was their captain that gave it to him. So that's that is the definition of a consmite for me that I have no problem with them giving it to him, and I thought it was it was well deserved and just an amazing Another amazing storyline.
Speaker 4: And another one is Campbell River native Rod Brendamor when you watch him on the bench or last night with the cop with the players, he just looks like a player's coach.
Speaker 1: Does he know he is?
Speaker 9: I mean, the most intimidating thing was when he took his drencherd off the room and he's in better shape than every player in that room. Ingals crazy And honestly, I had a friend who was a coach there with Rod years ago and to a point where I think they had to have I'm not lying. I think everybody the organization had to have a conversation with Rod about his workouts because he was so intimidating for every player. So imagine being a young player coming into the organization and your coach is in the gym working harder than anybody else in that room. It's almost it's humbling. So I think I remember the coach is joking, but it was a serious conversation saying like Rod was going to have to stagger his workouts to allow the players in the gym so that they wouldn't be intimidated by their coach. And I don't think it's as much as intimidating as he's inspiring. And I you know, you see his micd up moments when he comes into the room. He's pacing, he's talking, he's he's raw emotion, and what he does is he drags it out of those guys. And I think that's what's impressible about Rod brandanmore is it's it's you know, he's not lying to you. He's just looking you in the eyes and say I need more from you. You're not working hard enough, You're not doing.
Speaker 1: X, Y and Z.
Speaker 9: And I think players respect that. And if can take a look at it, there's a reason why he won as a player and now certainly is one as a coach. He's a he's a brilliant coach and an unbelievable human.
Speaker 1: So it's a copycat league, Jamie. We see this all the time, the winner and then the other team's try and duplicate it. I don't necessarily know there's one thing the Hurricanes do that's like, oh, yeah, we need to add what they have. What can teams add that the Hurricanes had.
Speaker 9: I think there's an attitude and a culture. You know, I come back to it, and there's I use the word likable. They're a likable team. You know, they didn't have these these villains. I'm sure there's guys that have had checkered pass and struggle a little bit here and there, but but you know, once they got to Carolina, they all had a defined role. And you know, we're watching Chatfield right there. You know, Chatfield's a good, young, good defenseman, and you know, people in Vancouver, hey, what what happened? Well, he's found a home. And you look at Stankhoven. They have to give, you know, they give a lot to get him. You know that Ranton and they had to give Stankhoven to Carolina for Ranton and if you're Dallas. But I think it's the attitude. I think it's the culture and it shows that you know, they have superstar players. But the superstar players are kind of wired the same way as the coach a Hoost Vashna Koff. You know, I look at Jarvis, they just they're not these guys that are larger than life. They're really good player and we'll call them star players. But they play within a system. And I don't think they're guys that just hunt points and hunt the camera and and and just you know, make it all about them. They are really good players that fall within a system and fall within a team structure. And to me, I don't you're right. I don't know how you replicate that. I think what you do is you try and have a culture that puts team in front of points, team in front of everything. And you know, however they came about it, you have to give Eric Tulsky and his management group a lot of credit too. They swung for the fences. They got rattingen and it wasn't going to work there, so they turn them into Stankhoven. They tried to get better every year, and they didn't give up on the people that were there or run them out of town. This is the one thing that I can think of. And I don't know how you guys will feel about this, but it took that group a long time to get over the line. So people today are saying, is this more like the Washington Capitals? You know, it took ov time over the line. It's possible, you know what you could come back to. It's very hard to win in the National Hockey League. So if you got a really good team, instead of blowing it up every summer or laying blame or having to have a body on the tarmac, all that guy's got to go because of X, Y and Z, maybe it's hey, let's load up and go back at it again. How many years in a row did Carolina lose in the conference final and then they finally pushed through. I think if anything, it gives organizations maybe hoped to go. You know, we got a pretty good thing here. We need X, Y and Z to get over the line. But let's stick with it because we just saw Carolina do it.
Speaker 1: Very impressive stuff from the Hurricanes. Very impressive stuff from you, Jamie. And I know when you took your shirt off in the locker room, much like Brenda More, everyone else was intimidating. Oh I know, I can tell intimidated is the wrong wordy Oh, so now it's kind of sounding what would happen in this room if the exact same thing time.
Speaker 9: I always joke when I played in Florida, Gary Roberts walk into the shower, I'd have to wear a wet suit up to my neck because I'd be like, I cannot be in the same shower as this guy who's like, there's muscles on top of muscles. So you know what, at Rod Brandanmore is an intimidating figure right now, and there would be never I would never take my shirt off around Rod.
Speaker 1: That's fair. That's fair, and I think you're in the majority on that. Jamie, thanks for this, appreciate it. We'll talk to you in a couple of weeks. Thanks for having me, Jamie mcclennan from TSN joining us And yeah, Rack, just very impressive stuff from the Hurricanes. So many different storylines, Jamie said. It just seems like every move they made just all fit together. The puzzle just works so perfectly, and here they are winning the Cup.
Speaker 4: Analytics twelve million under the cap, so much to learn from.
Speaker 1: Teams of Canucks have been.
Speaker 4: Either at the cap with no moves, no money for a decade yep, and here's a team with twelve million under the cap.
Speaker 1: Just want to stand the up. Unbelievable yep. Really impressive, really impressive stuff. On the other side, we're going to talk about the Lions performance in Saskatchewan with BC lines quarterback Nathan Rourke. He's next, It's don you know the team on.
Speaker 2: Check Dollie and Dollie. The team is supported by Ableauctions dot Ca. Closing your business we can help.
Speaker 3: Able Auctions specializes in helping British Columbia based business owners close their business.
Speaker 7: And sell their assets in a timely, orderly manner.
Speaker 4: Online events for everything from machine shop and manufacturing auctions to industrial equipment, retail inventories or any.
Speaker 5: Other type of business assets. Able Auctions can help.
Speaker 3: For a free confidential consultation on getting your business assets sold. Please email sales at able Auctions dot ca. That's sales at ab l A Auctions dot Ca.
Speaker 1: Monday and all of our guests today are sponsored by our friends at Basis. Bright deals and better drives are ahead at Paisson Hit the Road with huge savings going forward. Stop by their dealership located at one six three one five Phraser Highway in Fleetwood, or check them out online at bas A and T Motors dot com. We've been talking about a jam packed weekend rick on the sporting calendar locally, including the BC Lions getting things underway in Saskatchewan Yesh Saturday, they lose thirty one to twenty seven to the Rough Riders in a rematch of last year's Western Final. We're joined now by Nathan Rourke, BC Lions quarterback Friend of the program, Nathan, Thanks for doing this today. How are you.
Speaker 10: I'm doing well, guys, Thanks for having me so.
Speaker 1: How nice was it to finally get into a full game against a real opponent with real results on the line.
Speaker 10: Yeah, I mean it was great.
Speaker 11: I mean, obviously not the outcome that we were looking for, but you know, with a week run by, it's a little bit of a strange setup. You know, a long, longer training camp, a lot of uh, you know, a lot of preparing and it's good to just kind of get everything going.
Speaker 1: You guys, as you mentioned, come out on the losing end of it. What kind of report card would you give your team though, in just the first game of the season.
Speaker 10: Yeah, I mean it was interesting.
Speaker 11: I mean I think we had basically, I think all the all the cards go against us. We had got the injury bug, especially on offense, a lost bunch of people, had two receivers go down out, an offensive lineman go down. I had some people moving in some different spots. You know, we I thought we had you know, a couple of calls that could have gone either way, especially down the stretch, and we were still, you know, a possession away from from beating the the you know, the raigning champs in their in their place, in their building. So obviously, you know, we'd love to be able to make plays and be able to come out with that with a win on that one.
Speaker 10: But it's a long season.
Speaker 11: We know that we're not gonna we don't want to peek at you know, game one, and so we've got a lot of a lot of things to build off of. But we showed a lot of heart short of fight, and we I know that we'll have a chance to bounce back this week.
Speaker 4: Nathan, twenty seven points should be enough to win a football game. I thought you did your job. The defense a lot of criticism right now. You know last year this happened a lot of drives at the end and you lost. But what about the d They could have held up a little better there in your eyes?
Speaker 11: You know, for me, I look at it as you know, in this league, you know we've got to score thirty over thirty as an offense.
Speaker 10: I think that's the way it is.
Speaker 11: And you know, obviously you love to you love to get some stops and stuff like that. But I think they did a really good job fighting against a really good offense. Trevor Harris is one of the best in the league and terms of getting the ball out to his receivers, and you know, they think they pretty did pretty good job limiting a Jla who's a good running running back, and they've had a very good running game, you know, ever since they've been there. And you know, they gave us the ball at the end and we had a chance to go down and win it and we didn't get it done. So our production the first half's got to.
Speaker 10: Be a little bit better.
Speaker 11: Got to be better on a first down, did a good job taking care of the ball, but got to get the end zone shot for too many field goals, and so I look at it that way. We gotta score more more points. And player defense in their positions.
Speaker 5: Boy, your favorite receiver was Justin mckinnis eight catches.
Speaker 1: What was going on? What were you seeing with him being so open?
Speaker 11: Yeah, I mean, I think it's just one of those things. You know, you never really go into a game trying to get someone on the ball, but he was just finding those spots, and he was making some really big catches over the middle. You know, we knew going into that game that you know, there was gonna be some opportunities for that and uh uh. You know, one of the greatest things about him is his frame, and and you know, he was able to make some catches that were just unbelievable and and then take some hits on the way down.
Speaker 10: So hats off to him.
Speaker 11: I think that's a testament to not only his natural ability, but also to the work he's put in the off season to to make to change his body and become a super strong guy and work on his frame. So happy with that and hoping that we can need to spread the ball around to all of our weapons.
Speaker 4: When you have the best quarterback in the CFL, like the Lions do, that offensive line is critical. How did you think of what did you think about the old lines play?
Speaker 10: Yeah, I think you know, I think we did a great job.
Speaker 11: I mean, obviously with the with the injury, we had some guys moving around different some different spots. Operationally, when we go into an environment like Sketchwan where it's loud and you know it's the first game of the year, we got some people playing, you know, some new new guys playing up there and specifically in places that they haven't played together in those positions before. You know, Corey wood Drift has a bunch of snaps, but he hasn't played left tackle, and so you know, I think they did a really a good job considering you know, I've got to.
Speaker 10: Do a better job.
Speaker 11: I think sacks are a statistic that's just about just as much on the quarterback as it is on the offensive line. It's my job to get the ball out of my hand, to go through my progressions as quickly as possible, to be able to move in the pocket when needed. And I just need to do a better job of that than like my feet when I turned on the film yesterday.
Speaker 10: So you know, I think I think we need to do a better job running the ball.
Speaker 11: Uh, in terms of calling it, I think that we showed that we could run the ball throughout the game, and we just got to get have a little bit more of a balance attack. And I think that starts with me making some better decisions and making sure that we're getting lined up and being the right spots.
Speaker 1: Nathan, that Oline helped you out at the end of the first half there that touchdown, that rushing TD you were right there and the big boys came up and pushed you into the end zone. I what is that? What is that experience?
Speaker 6: Like?
Speaker 1: Are you just trying to hold onto the ball and wait for that wait for the help to come behind you and get you over that goal line?
Speaker 11: Yeah, I mean that was the first time that's ever happened to me in my U my career, where it certainly happened for other players, whether it's a receiver or running back where they kind of get held up and you know, it's a we always talk about, especially in practice.
Speaker 10: Buck always talked about.
Speaker 11: Following the ball and you know, chasing the ball, and and our guys did a really good job. And that might have been the biggest hit I took all all all game was from from uh Brandon Yates there the first one to get that kind of the pilego and stuff like that. So that's uh, that's one that certainly feel like that one's less of my touchdown and more of the offensive line. So hats off to them for the for the effort and forgetting me through.
Speaker 1: I want to ask you, Nathan, I watched the arrow up documentary, I learned a lot about Nate DeMont Nac, the first round pick of the Lions in this past draft. He didn't play this week and he's hurt, But what do you think the ceiling is for him? Because he seems like a heck of a player. Yeah.
Speaker 11: I mean, he had a great camp and obviously the injury was a little unfortunate because he'd love to continue to see his his to growth in his development. But you know, I had a great career over it in North Dakota and we're we're happy to have him. I think he's a he's a great, great, great player showing a lot of upside. Love to continue to work with him. And I think based on how we're built with all of our Canadians at skill positions, I think we have some of the the best ratio breakers quote unquote in in the league. And I think he's he's just gonna add us U a tremendous amount of flexibility for us uh down the line. So I mean, he's got great players ahead of him right now to learn from and and I know he'll continue to put the work in to be able to contribute this year or over the next couple of years as.
Speaker 4: Well, Nathan. Last one, you guys are living out of a suitcase. Saskatchwan now Hamilton, a little bit of a short work week and then off to kelowna. Boy, the ty Cats just went into Winnipeg dropped thirty seven points in a win.
Speaker 1: This is gonna be a tough one too. Yeah.
Speaker 10: Absolutely, we're looking forward to this one though.
Speaker 11: I mean, after a tough loss in Saskatchewan, it's it's it's not bad to have a short week of although we are beat up, but we'll get back on the horse quickly. And and uh, you know this is a team that, yeah, they put up a bunch of points there there, there got some ton of weapons on offense, and uh, we know that they're gonna give us our best, their best on defense. So we're gonna have to come with a great plan and and put together and obviously traveling again is is you know, obviously difficult, and we're gonna we're gonna we're gonna need our best football for this one and expect a sixty minute football game.
Speaker 1: Great stuff, Nathan, really appreciate the time. I know it's a busy time for you, obviously. Good luck in Hamilton and we'll chat again down the road here.
Speaker 10: Thanks guys, appreciate it.
Speaker 1: Nathan Rourke BC Lions quarterback joining us on the program and again Rick as I said, a little bit of deja vu for me. Had to lead late and let it slip away. Defense, didn't, you know, hold things down and get it over the finish line for them.
Speaker 4: Well, he's giving you twenty seven to thirty points every single game. Yeah, Like the defense can't allow over thirty every game.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and even early on in that game it's Saskatchewan was moving the ball with will. I don't know. They gotta figure some things out there. It's only week one game, yeah, for sure, you know G two. But they and by the way, there's new jerseys. Sweet, there's new Pacific Frost jerseys. They're sweet. You don't like them, Quinn and I like them amazing, But you you don't like them.
Speaker 4: There's not enough Like, I don't know what. It doesn't scream BC Lions, it doesn't screen, it does even the oranges, you know it does.
Speaker 1: How does this the nineties era?
Speaker 4: No, okay, the nineties were the ninety four Great Cup. Yeah, yeah, but I don't know. I just something's about these I don't like them. It doesn't scream BC Lions. I love them.
Speaker 1: I love them. You know what else screams BC Lions.
Speaker 4: Pastime Sports Absolutely the world is here in Vancouver and Pastime Sports and games as you covered. When it comes to jerseys, scarves and other collectibles.
Speaker 5: Celebrating the beautiful game.
Speaker 4: Never been a bigger time to show off your team colors led by Canada as a host country. For more information and store locations, visit pastime Sports dot Ca.
Speaker 1: A front of the laptop, we've got those Pannini World Cup stickers they maintain there's still the hottest item going when it comes to merchandise at the World Cup. In the middle, these are these Canada Soccer collectible bag clips. They are many players that can clip onto your backpack or whatever. It's a mystery though, so you grab a pack, you don't which play're gonna get. And on the far left of your screen of Pop Figurine, that's Maple. That's Canada's World Cup mascot. And they've got the pop figurine version of it at pastime. More on the World Cup next and DTMZ and welve Birthdays as well. It's Donnie Dahal the Tiamont Check.
Speaker 12: The bc Construction Safety Alliance is a not for profit association that makes safety simpler by providing health and safety services and programs to more than fifty seven thousand construction employers and two hundred and twenty thousand workers across the province. We want to bring the BCCSA safety message directly to your job site. Book a free visit from the BCCSA Safety on Tour Mobile Trailer Safety on Tours instructor guides your workers through a series of dynamic safety demonstrations, from the effectiveness of fall arrest systems to the power of proper head protection. At now to book a memorable Safety on Tour experience at Safetyontour dot Ca.
Speaker 4: It's eleven thirty six on a Monday morning, Donnie Dahli on Check TV. Now time for DTMZ, brought to you by the world famous Wister Golf Club. Go see big Al out there. Great track, great track.
Speaker 1: That is right, Rick, and we got some new visuals coming up here. DTMZ brought to you by the Arnold Palmer designed with their golf club. Phase three of their golf course renovation is now underway. Look at this the golf course is going to reopen for play in the summer at twenty twenty seven. But get the latest updates on their renovation by following them on Instagram at Whister Golf. And don't forget pro Shop and Driving Range are open during the summer as well. So this renovation, Rick, that's happening. It's the they're getting new greens installed, new irrigation is starting to get installed, and they're preparing for sotting. So this is a hell of a project they're undertaking. And like like they are moving a lot of earth around at Whistlir Golf, so it's gonna be spectacular when it's done. Okay, quickly, Rick, this is something a little different. This is a tweet I've got from Kevin Newon from the San Francisco Standard. Okay, this is the press box at Levi's stadium. This is how uh hard FIFA takes, how seriously FIFA takes covering up non sponsored material. All the press box condiments that are not FIFA partners, they get a black label on them so you can't see them. She got like Frenches, Mustard Hines, catch up. They don't sponsor FIFA. They don't get any sort of coverage during the World Cup. It's ridiculous. It's incredible, all these stadiums, like, for instance, this game being played at Levi's Stadium, the massive Levi's logo up at the top. It's covered up. It's just San Francisco Stadium. You don't see it. It's the honest. It's the one good time for BC plays not to have a naming naming rights partner because it can still be just BC Place Stadium, because there's nothing to cover up or worry about. But I cannot believe somebody actually went through the press box and went, Nope, nope, you're not one of our partners. We're not talking about you during the World Cup. Well why not strike a deal to just have their products? Well, they didn't want to buck up. I guess. Wow, you're familiar with press box food. A lot of the media is familiar with the press box meal.
Speaker 4: Well, no, because I don't go to the games anymore.
Speaker 1: That's a good point. When I did, you had a lot of bad coffee.
Speaker 4: All the food was free at Canucks games, and then now charges and now they charged the media.
Speaker 1: Okay, birthdays, all right, Quinn, get her up.
Speaker 4: The birthday's sponsored Donnie and Dollies, Backscratchers and Dental floss Emporium and ball Zach Alberta.
Speaker 1: All Right, this guy.
Speaker 4: Was the second round picker Columbus in twenty eleven, played junior and Oshwap helped Canada win bronze at the World Juniors in twenty twelve, helped Canada gold medal at the twenty ten Iive in a Linka started his career in Columbus on the line with Marion Gabrick and Brandon Dubinski. Named an assistant captain. In his third year with Columbus, became the fifth Blue Jacket to score thirty goals in one season. Became the ninth player franchise history to play all five five hundred career games with the Blue Jackets. Are you too serious?
Speaker 8: Jenner? Is it Boone Jenner?
Speaker 1: Yes?
Speaker 2: Is this?
Speaker 4: It's Boone Jenner who his contracts up and he might hit July first, and he just changed agents.
Speaker 1: So who's his new agent?
Speaker 4: Pat Morris, my good pal in Toronto? Okay, here we go. This undrafted forward scored twenty nine goals in the NHL this season. Played in the Alberta Junior Hockey League Edmonton Kidd nominated for the Hoby Baker playing for Colgate University. After the NCAA, he would sign with the American Hockey League's Toronto Marley's. He would sign with the Maple Leafs and he would score fifty four goals in not nice right, No, he would score fifty four goals for the Leafs in the last two and a half years. He would then get.
Speaker 5: Traded at the deadline. Bobby McMahon, Bobby McMahon, Bobby McMahon, who is going to hit a lot.
Speaker 8: He's another free agent.
Speaker 4: And he's another guy whose agent, when he saw the Sherwood deal probably thought, hmmm, my guy needs to be at Sherwood.
Speaker 5: Who do we hear about Sherwood today?
Speaker 1: Oh uh mckayff, your buddy.
Speaker 4: Yeah, mcaff his agent Danny millions.
Speaker 1: If he gets five million, that's.
Speaker 4: I mean, hey, hey, hey, right now, the center ice guy still center.
Speaker 1: Come on five million dollars, mcaff, Come on.
Speaker 4: The McCarn deal. I just talked to an agent who's got a UFA center. The McCarn deal last week is reset in the market for centers. It's just setting it all right.
Speaker 1: Here we go.
Speaker 4: This singer and actor was inducted in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in twenty sixteen. Started out performing at parties hosted by Doctor dre.
Speaker 1: Is it dra Yeah, Okay.
Speaker 4: His third album, The Predator, referred to ice Cube ice Cube. Oh that's fishy. How do you know ice Cube?
Speaker 1: Well, I knew that album title, The Predator. I also know with Don dre Nwa ice.
Speaker 8: Cube not a great album name.
Speaker 1: No, it's not. It's not Quinn. You're right, straight out of Compton Fantastic movie. It is an ice Cubes kids plays ice Cube.
Speaker 5: Yeah, just Friday Movies.
Speaker 4: Yeah, One Jump Street, Yeah, Three Kings with George Clooney and Mark Okay, let's go to this last one. This actress guest starred on The Love Boat and Murder. She wrote back in nineteen eighty six, two shows you guys, Hey, I thought don Yeah, I don't know. I thought Donnie was coming today.
Speaker 8: I didn't know.
Speaker 5: So that's why I love Boat. Oh the Love Boat was a great show.
Speaker 4: Captain Cubing, remember Isaac Washington that Love Boat was great for those of us in the eighties and watched Love Boat.
Speaker 1: You'll know.
Speaker 5: She was the girlfriend of Michael J. Fox on Family Ties.
Speaker 4: Some of her films in the eighties, Masters of the Universe, Cocoon, The Return, I'll Be Home for Christmas. She became the highest pay TV actress of all time one million per episode for the final two seasons of her sitcom. She was in the movie Scream. In nineteen ninety six, she had a cameo appearance in the big budget remake The Longest Yard.
Speaker 1: She starred in the thomis who is any Cox?
Speaker 8: Courtney Cox?
Speaker 1: What do you say? Courtney Coxy?
Speaker 5: Cortney Cox?
Speaker 8: So many other things he could have said, But where did she get.
Speaker 4: Famous Springsteen's video? DA's it in the Dark? Bruce Springsteen. They set it up so she would go up on the stage.
Speaker 1: And yeah, yeah, yeah, that's it. That's it. Well, of course, Courtney Cox. Monica and Friends, Yes, that's where she did you. Did you watch Friends? Yeah? I in and out? Did you watch more Seinfelder Friends? Friends? Okay? I like them both equally, and in my opinion, I think Friends is held up longer than Seinfeld has. I think Friends is more popular now than Seinfeld is. Anyway, that's just my two days. Okay, this is a birthday from yesterday. Rick, this is one of your favorites. Okay, Oh boy George, Oh stop, Boy George, Culture Club. He turned he turned sixty five years old yesterday.
Speaker 5: The Boy George is sixty five yesterday.
Speaker 1: Oh so to play us out, this is one of your favorite Come a Chameleion, Culture Club and come a comeleon Off covered by numbers. The album Oh Yeah, this is Boy George, as I mentioned along with Culture Club, Is It Just Me is coming up next.
Speaker 7: He remember that dead electric leaf blower in the garage, still hoping it'll come back to life.
Speaker 4: Oh b I see is BC's recycling program for battery powered and electric outdoor power equipment.
Speaker 7: Just like other electronics, electric lawn.
Speaker 3: And garden equipment can also be recycled when it reaches the end of its useful life.
Speaker 4: All electric yard tools don't have to end up in the landfill. If you're electric outdoor power equipment can't be fixed, it could be recycled.
Speaker 3: Whether it's a leaf blower, trimmer, or lawnmower. Many can be recycled for free in BC. Visit op e i C dot CA to find a depot near you and recycle responsibly.
Speaker 5: That's ope IC dot CA.
Speaker 1: Is It Just Me brought to you by our friends at op e C Outdoor Power Equipment Institute of Canada o p e S operates a province why network of recycling depots to ensure old electric outdoor power equipment gets collected and recycled responsibly. Visit op e i C dot CA to get more info. Rick take it away, all right.
Speaker 4: I love your nostalgia, Rick, but I draw the line at Love Boat being called the great show West coming at me hard.
Speaker 1: First of all, Wes.
Speaker 4: Wes watched it, well, I know West watched it because Love bok on Saturdays, followed by Fantasy Island. Remember the plane, the plane? Yeah, remember the playing the plane.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Fantasy Island was good too, But Wes, you're out to lunch. Love Boat was good.
Speaker 1: This is from Surrey, Troy. Is it just me or does the Lions Pacific frost jerseys look like a light theme of the gun metal gray jerseys? And I agree with Ryan and quit Quinn as they do look very cool. I see what you're saying there, Troy, But it's it's obviously like a reverse because the other ones were dark and these ones are light. But I know what you're going with it. It's definitely a unique look. And I'm a big I'm a big fan of them. I'm curious what Modes thought when he was trying to call the game and the numbers and the names, But I thought that looked pretty sweet.
Speaker 4: The numbers and the names were an issue on that Jersey hire. Branda Moore as eleven point six's personal trainer of this offseason, Don Die from Nanaimo in.
Speaker 1: Hot, Yeah, coming in hot, he would certainly, I think he would get him into shape.
Speaker 4: It's not like Peterson shows up to camp and he's thirty pounds overweight.
Speaker 1: It's not that.
Speaker 4: I think a lot of guys showed up to camp last year not in great shape. I think Ryan Johnson is going.
Speaker 1: To fix that. Justin and east Van. Is it just me? But if the New York Knicks can win a title, then there's hope for the Canucks to win the Stanley Cup. Yeah. I mean there's a lot of people that saw for the first time a championship on the New York Knicks, considering it was fifty three years between their last one and the one on the weekend. So and by the.
Speaker 4: Way, the Rangers ninety four Stanley Cup parade was one point five million people back in nineteen ninety four.
Speaker 1: That was a massive, massive number.
Speaker 4: If the Rangers win it today, obviously there's gonna be more than one point five million.
Speaker 1: There you go, you another one?
Speaker 5: Yeah, I do, Hi boys shwin here?
Speaker 4: Can you imagine if we traded pd to Carolina when they were invested and interested in him, and he hoisted the cup yesterday? How would the Canucks fans feel about that?
Speaker 1: There you go? Yeah?
Speaker 4: I mean would they won the Cup with it? Would they have won the Cup if.
Speaker 8: Their lineup exactly would not have won the Cup if he went there, wouldn't have No, would have ruined their whole thing because his production drop.
Speaker 4: He went from one hundred points to fifty.
Speaker 1: Well you also could they have made other moves that they did? I'm not so sure. I mean, the Taylor Hall signing is crazy? Uh, Dave from the couch and is it just me? But if Adam Foot gets hired by the Mammoth, would he then be referred to as Bigfoot? Bigfoot? You get it, mammoth mammoth foot, won't you? Okay, you're short of there. Yeah.
Speaker 4: Adam Foot, by the way, is talking to Utah right now about a possible assistant coaching job. So we'll see if they can close that deal. And then you remember Bigfoot right in the eighties.
Speaker 1: I know, big that's not specific to the eighties exactly. Just listen to me.
Speaker 4: He's talking about Adam Bigfoot. I'm talking about the real Bigfoot. Yeah, I know, he's not specific to the Yeah, but the six million dollar man.
Speaker 1: When they showed the episode of a Bigfoot it was but Quin's right, it wasn't just an eighties He's listen to me.
Speaker 4: We as kids were scared back then, all right, he Bigfoot was real. It scared the hell out of us. And I'm talking about kids in elementary school. I don't know about the high school guys.
Speaker 1: All right, Well, wrap pop. The final segment of the show, Next got a couple of photos, poll question much more. Sonny dall the team on check.
Speaker 4: Looking for one of Victoria's most iconic stays. The award winning Waddling Dog has been welcoming guests and their dogs for over thirty years. Ten minutes from the airport and the ferry, their room blend vented charm with modern comfort, making it the perfect home base for your island adventures. Your trip isn't complete without a stop at the legendary Waddling Dog Pop twenty taps Waldwall TVs Every Canucks game and UFC pay per view, plus an extensive daily happy hour, and before you go, stock up at their cold beer wine store, hundreds of local and imported options, plus exclusive Donnie and Dolly merchandise. The Dog isn't just a hotel, It's a destination. Come sit and stay all right.
Speaker 1: Time to talk about our Waddling Dog pole question for one final time during the live portion of the program. Come sit and stay at the Dog today, Rick, all.
Speaker 5: Right, get her up. The Waddling Dog pop pole question.
Speaker 4: And it is concerning the Carolina Hurricanes winning the Stanley Cup last night. So the NHL is a copycat league. So we're gonna ask what should the Canucks learn from the Hurricanes? And look at this, everything is leading the way at seventy percent. They managed the cap better in Carolina. They got twelve million to play with and that's was heading into the finals. Improve analytics. Carolina's analytics are very very strong and don't worry about size. Some of their best players are small guys stan Cove and Blake and Jarvis. They're not six four two twenty and all three had incredible playoffs.
Speaker 1: So there you go.
Speaker 4: Everything is what the Canucks need to approve.
Speaker 1: I think a lot of people are calling for them to beef up their analytics department over here. Look, there's some hot takes about how Tolski's revolution hockey after last night's win. But I think it's fair to say they could spend a bit more the Canucks could on analytics.
Speaker 5: Okay, we've got a couple of photos credit where we're going. We're going to overwater, over Water, We're going We're.
Speaker 1: Going to the Dog. Actually, we're going to the Dog.
Speaker 4: Okay, so this is our favorites marine. In the middle, there is Bob on the right side that there are two of our best viewers all time. And then they got their friend Mike there. They went to the Waddling Dog to watch Canada's first soccer game. They took this picture outside, obviously, but they also took a picture inside just hold On and brend and the owner was in Toronto, and Brendan sent me the picture.
Speaker 1: Oh nice inside. Why didn't you send it to me?
Speaker 4: I didn't send it to you because I was a little busy in Toronto. Anyways, I returned all their messages on Friday and saying great stuff. But there's Bob and Marine, two of our biggest fans with a mike.
Speaker 1: Appreciate that. We'll get to the other one tomorrow. We don't have time for it all right. That music means we're running out of time. Joannie will be back tomorrow. Chat with Craig Button among other guests tomorrow. Among another guest tomorrow, Travis S. Green Tube. Okay, thanks for tuning in. It's Donnie Dolly, the team on check.
Speaker 2: Thanks for listening to the Donnie and Dolly Podcast. Be sure to follow us on Twitter at Donnie and Dolly for all the latest show content.