Speaker 1: Aha, there, Hello, Nina.
Speaker 2: Nina, Nina, and Hey. Eighteen month old Dovenda and his baby brother Avinda were the sons of successful businessman Neil Chohan. With a loving marriage to his wife Nancy, Neil had everything a man could want. But in February two thousand and three, just two days after this film was shot, all five members of this happy family simply disappeared.
Speaker 3: Vanished without a trace, the generations of one Faba Choan's and out the center of a major police hunt.
Speaker 2: Why would anybody want to simply walk away? And Anina told me, Hid, this is the story of a man who made an entire family disappear.
Speaker 3: Detectives later found evidence of a car bridge an.
Speaker 2: The story of an extraordinary deception by a ruthless criminal who wanted to get rich at any cost.
Speaker 4: Had absolutely no moral conscience whatsoever, a.
Speaker 2: Man who almost succeeded in outwitting the police by committing a crime so unique and horrific no one dared to believe it had taken place.
Speaker 4: Prosecution had described the crimes as beyond belief.
Speaker 2: In two thousand and three, businessman Neil Chohan was the owner of a successful fruit importation firm based at Heathrow called Siba Freight. With a wife and two children. Choen was known to his staff as a contented family man and an easy going boss.
Speaker 5: Niel's way of running the company was a relaxed, sort of like happy girl lucky attitude. We were mucked in whenever it was busy. Here, get pizzas, get drinks. They want to sort of like one big, happy family.
Speaker 2: But owning a freight company had made Neil Chohan a target. In January two thousand and three, a recently released convict arrived at siber Freight looking for work. His name was Kenneth Reagan.
Speaker 6: You must be Ken, that's me.
Speaker 2: You're mister choin right. Neil Chohan had spent time in prison for tax evasion and was sympathetic to the ex con who said he wanted to go straight.
Speaker 7: It was a very fair person. He'd always give people not a second chance, but a tenth chance. He'd been in prison himself, and obviously he'd had a second chance, so why shouldn't anybody else. Ken came on as a year driver, not frightening again, his hands dirty.
Speaker 8: As a worker. I thought he was good.
Speaker 2: But Kenneth Reagan was no ordinary delivery driver. Five years earlier, Reagan had been a successful drug smuggler known to his friends as Captain Cash.
Speaker 9: In the late nineties, Ken Reagan was a career criminal. Reagan set up freight companies in around the Heathrow area and he'd used those as a front to bring drugs into the country. He knew most of the major criminals in London and criminal families, and he was very much living the high life.
Speaker 2: It was in a fashionable London bar that Reagan first met celebrity agent and socialite Belinda Brewin.
Speaker 4: He was a bit rough. I think it's not well educated, quite charming, dressed well, nice watch, spent a lot of money. He was kind of like a rich wide boy. Reagan's nickname was Captain Cash. He always had a lot of money, and I mean high denomination notes. He had a briefcase and I've seen that twice and it was just full of money, and I think he thought it bought in class when he had none whatsoever.
Speaker 2: Belinda would eventually be drawn unwittingly into Reagan's world of crime and deceit. It started when the gangster became obsessed with her.
Speaker 4: He used to phone me quite a lot and emails saying I've never i haven't felt like this in thirty years. You're like a drug. I can't. I mean, just bizarre, considered that he didn't really know me at all. And then one day a friend of mine said to me, why on earth are you going out with someone like Reagan? And I said to him, I'm not, and he said, well, he told me that you're his girlfriend. And I said, you've got to be kidding, and he said, no, I'm not, which I found slightly worrying. And then literally, I think, a few days later, he got arrested.
Speaker 2: June the seventeenth, nineteen ninety eight, Reagan was caught with twenty five kilograms of heroin. Facing eighteen years in prison, he decided to become a grass. Reagan's testimony helped convict twelve major criminals, while his own sentence was reduced. By the time he was released from prison four years later, Captain Cash had few friends and little money.
Speaker 9: When Reagan was released from his prison sentence, He's very much gone back to having nothing. All his assets have been stripped from him. It's part of the confiscation order. And here he was back living in one bedroom of a very small bungalow with his father. Reagan I think very much wanted to get back in the driving seat as a drug importer. Mister Chohan's business was the perfect framework to hang his drug dealing activities on.
Speaker 2: Reagan came up with a plan to steal Neil Chohan's company, a plan so ruthless that no one would realize it had taken place. He began by setting a trap. Soon after starting work at SEBA, Reagan approached Chohan and said he knew some investors who wanted to buy the company. The bait was a cash offer of three million pounds, a large enough sum to tempt the businessman whose wife Nancy wanted him to retire.
Speaker 4: I investors.
Speaker 10: I knew that Nancy wanted to go back to Inda. She'd made it clear she missed India, and we talked about it a couple of times, because he did say that the level of education India was higher than the UK and Nancy was desperate to go back there.
Speaker 2: While Chohan considered his offer, Reagan began working on the next phase of his plan. Seber freight was not the only thing he wanted to acquire. By this time, Belinda Bruin had given up her house in Chelsea for a new life in Devon. Reagan's obsessive calls and letters had stopped during his four years in prison, but now free, he began to pursue Belinda once more.
Speaker 4: A few weeks after you got out of prison, he left me a few messages on my mobile. He said that he had a business deal he wished to discuss with me. And at the time, I had this huge house, a huge mortgage and two kids at private school. When I'd given up my job and then my boyfriend left me, so I was it was how can I put it? Yes, so I rang him.
Speaker 2: Reagan told Belinda he was planning to take over Seber Freight and needed a new managing director. Although she had no relevant experience, Reagan offered her a huge salary for a two day week.
Speaker 4: At first, he offered me fifty four thousand pounds, which is a lot of money. But I thought, you know, I've got two kids at private school and a huge mortgage. That's not going to cover everything. And so he said, fine, I'll pay you seventy two thousand, and I thought, well, that's great.
Speaker 2: The job offer gave Reagan an excuse to visit Belinda at her isolated Devon home.
Speaker 4: He'd come up with bizarre reasons, like he'd want me to sign a letter or form, or he'd want me to help him fill in a form, and he'd drive all the way from Salisbury or from London to my house for twenty minutes.
Speaker 2: Reagan seemed to become strangely fixated on the land around Belinda's farm.
Speaker 4: He used to moan about the mud a lot the mud in the lane. You know, I couldn't live here, it's so disgusting. He wanted to cut down some of the trees and build a nice wall and electric gates. I mean, this was an old farmhouse, not a football as pad in Essex. He kept saying, I could make this place really, really nice for you. What you need is a drainage ditch.
Speaker 2: By February, chohen had made up his mind he would meet the investors that Reagan said wanted to buy his company. On the Thursday morning before Valentine's Day, he left his office telling staff he had a meeting at Stonehenge.
Speaker 8: He said, I'm going off to do a deal and sell the company. He said, and I'll let you know. And that was the last time I saw him.
Speaker 2: On Monday morning. The employees at Siba were greeted with a shock announcement.
Speaker 5: I came in on a shift on Monday. We all gathered around and Blinda was introduced as a new owner of the company by Ken.
Speaker 4: Came in.
Speaker 9: The shocked everyone.
Speaker 5: It was something we were expecting.
Speaker 3: Everyone was thinking, what had happened to Neil? Where he had gone? But is it real that he sold the company? Or what about our jobs? And so many things happening At the same time.
Speaker 2: Reagan produced a letter which explained that Chohan had sold the company and was retiring abroad with Nancy due to ill health. It bore the signature of Neil Choen Well.
Speaker 3: Because of it being a busy company, you couldn't sort of sit down and start whinging about her or do anything about it. You just had to get on with the work. Because it was a busy company, you would have to get on with the work and get the work done.
Speaker 2: Belinda was given a desk and a computer and began examining the books as Reagan had asked her to, but on her second day she felt ill. Instead of going to Siba, where Reagan was expecting her, she drove home to Devon.
Speaker 4: When I pulled into the drive, I couldn't believe it. There was this old beaten up jack yo and I thought, what an's going on here? And I saw these two guys in my field with a digger.
Speaker 2: The two men were William Harnsey and Peter Reese, both friends of Ken Reagan.
Speaker 4: I went absolutely mad and I swore a lot, and I said, you know, what on earth did they think they were doing? And he said, well, we're building you a drainage ditch, you know. And there's this bloody great big ditch in the middle of my field running along the side of the hedge. I just couldn't believe it. Reagan arrived. I said, you know, it's not the fact that I might not need a drainage ditch. It was my land. You never asked my permission. You just don't go digging up people's land. He said, well, I thought you would appreciate it. I mean, it just looked like a car park and now I'd just hated it. But I was going to have it taken up, and they said wait till the summer. But as it happened, the Metropolitan Police dug it up for me.
Speaker 2: In two thousand and three, convicted drug smuggler Kenneth Reagan was on the verge of regaining his former millionaire's lifestyle. Neil Chohen, the previous owner of siber Freight, had disappeared. Now Reagan was in control of his bonded warehouse, an ideal front for importing drugs. For five years, Reagan had been obsessed by socialized Belinda Bruin from a farm, but now she was on his payroll. It seemed as if Reagan's dreams had all come true, but the secret behind his success was about to be exposed. Twelve thousand miles away, on Coverma was working as a journalist in New Zealand. Nancy was raising a family in England with her husband, Neil Chohan, and Onca was planning to visit the family for the very first time.
Speaker 6: I was very excited because I was going to see Nancy after nine years, and it was like our family reunion after a long time.
Speaker 2: Onca used to speak to his sister and mother almost every day, but on the fifteenth of February, the phone calls simply.
Speaker 6: Stopped, and I was trying to get all of Nancy. I was trying to get a lot mom and ill. Nobody was here, so you know, I thought something's not right.
Speaker 2: Concern for his family's safety, Oka contacted the Metropolitan Police. A routine missing person's inquiry established that the family home was empty, but neighbors and colleagues seemed to think the Choen's had all gone to India.
Speaker 9: You have to remember that if people wish to leave a country and relocate to somewhere else, then it's their right to do so. In this particular inquiry, the friends and family in the UK were very much of a belief that mister Chohan had decided to do that.
Speaker 2: Onca decided that if the police couldn't find his family, he would fly to Britain to investigate the disappearances himself, alone in a country he'd never been to before. Oncer went to the family home in Hounslow and was shocked by what he discovered.
Speaker 6: As I entered the house, I could the kids twice on the floor, the baby feed bodens, all the baby feed and the clothes. They were still in the house. They afraid that there was a cook food inside.
Speaker 2: Onca became even more suspicious when he discovered his mother's most treasured possession.
Speaker 6: My mom's prayer book was there inside the house. That was something strange because my mum used to carry it with her all the time. One thing I couldn't figure out that Harwood a family disappear. We're talking about two three adults and two kids, you know, two babies, and how can they just disappear without telling me?
Speaker 2: With compelling evidence that his family had left the house against their will, uncle went to the police and convinced them to launch a full investigation. DCI Andy Rowl began his inquiry by interviewing the last person who was known to have seen Choan on the day he disappeared, Kenneth Reagan.
Speaker 9: Mister Reagan told us that mister Chohan was trying to sell his business and he was very much trying to steer it down the lines of that mister Chohan was an unsavory businessman who had got himself into deep water financially and that had no other choice really but to disappear.
Speaker 2: But detectives were unconvinced by Reagan's story. Using new forensic technology, they were able to track the movements of both Reagan and Chohan's mobile phones on the day of the disappearance.
Speaker 9: Initially, we could see mister Chohan's telephone was in the Handslow area. We then tracked the phone down to the Stonehenge area. Now, of course, mister Reagan lived not far from Stonehenge in a village called Wilton in Salisbury. What we could see is that Reagan's telephone met up with mister Chohan's telephone, and then the two telephones traveled from that meeting point further down into the West Country towards.
Speaker 2: The only lead the detectives had in Devon was that it was home to the new managing director of SIBA by Linda Brewin. They decided to pay her a visit.
Speaker 4: When Reagan found out that the police were coming to my house, he was furious and he said to me, you know, you mustn't allow the police to come to your house. They'll just cause you aggravation. You know, once they get a foot in your house, you mustn't let them come to your house. I want you to phone them back and go and meet them somewhere else. And I thought, well, why would I want to do that.
Speaker 2: Later that day, DC hi Andy Rowell received a phone call from Reagan's associate.
Speaker 3: I've got some information about Neil Chohan.
Speaker 2: William Halsey claimed he'd recently spoken to Neil Chohan and that the missing businessman was still in the UK.
Speaker 9: I don't know if he told me he's on the Mister Hauntsey had told me that he was going to meet with mister Chohan in Newport in Wales by the Passport office to supply him with stolen passports. So what he was saying to us was is that he was happy to deliver mister Chohan into our hands.
Speaker 4: And then what happened was that got a phone call from Dr Ral saying listen, thank you very much, Blinda, but we won't be coming to see you today. We have other information and in fact we probably won't need to come and see you at all. Reagan then rang me up, obviously to check to make sure that the police had canceled their meeting, and he seemed to know that they had and I said, yes, they're not coming. He said, yes, I know. They're going to go to Wales and arrest Neil Chohan. So that was the end of her.
Speaker 2: The meeting with Chohan was due to take place on Easter Monday, but over the weekend, Belinda received an unexpected visit from Reagan. Harnsey and Greece.
Speaker 4: Reagan said, I'm going to do the lane by your stables, which actually did need graveling, and that would have been a great place for the gravel. So I thought, well, okay. So when a digger arrived, I wasn't. It didn't surprise me because I thought, oh, they're going to come and grade the lane. And it was a Saturday, and I took the kids into town and I let them get on with it.
Speaker 2: Two days later, detectives traveled to the spot where Harnsey said he was planning to meet Chohan.
Speaker 9: In Newport where the passport of this is quite an iconic bronze statue of a pig, and that's where Haunsey said that he would bring mister Chowhan to notice. On the day in question, he in fact turned up with mister Reagan as well, and the pair of them stood there for some moments. They then enacted receiving a phone call and a text, and then made it plainly obvious through their body language that something had gone wrong with the arrangement, and they explained they'd received a phone call from someone saying we know you've told the police. We're friends of Nil's or Annul Chohans. The deals Off.
Speaker 2: Police traced the calls, but only to an unregistered phone. They were no closer to finding Neil Chohan, and all they knew for certain was that they had been led on a wild goose chase.
Speaker 9: I don't think personally he was having a swipe at the police and the sort of the subtle choke about pigs. I hope not.
Speaker 2: Anyway, While Reagan returned to work at SIBA, the police reverted to their original plan and called in Belinda Brewin for questioning.
Speaker 4: D I Raoul said to me, I want to have a full and frank discussion with you. And as I was leaving, Reagan said to me, listen, Belinda, if the police ask you what I was doing on your land, he said, you're to tell. He said, just tell them that I was helping you with your water system. I thought that was very odd. I mean, he'd said he'd look at it, but no work had been done on it, and I just thought it was odd. When I went to meet the police, they said to me, what do you think has happened? And I said, well, I don't really know. I said, I've told you everything that I know, and he said is there anything else that you think is odd? And I said, well, when I was leaving today, Reagan asked me not. It said that if you were to ask what he was doing on my land, I was to say he'd been working on my water system. And they said, well, what was he doing? And I said he'd dug a drainage ditch. And the two of them looked at each other and said he did what.
Speaker 2: Detectives rushed to Tibetan, convinced that a gruesome discovery awaited them on Belinda's farm.
Speaker 9: We exhumed the dig site painstaking fingertip forensic examination using highly trained forensic archaeologists and pathologists.
Speaker 2: The murder squad spent the next five days digging in Belinda's field, but the bodies they had expected to find were nowhere to be seen. In April two thousand and three, police had been so watching for the Chowan family for over two months, but they'd been looking in the wrong place.
Speaker 1: We planned to go out for an evening's canoe in nice quite a day, nice calm, see pleasantly warm time of year. Yeah, it's an enjoyable evening that we decided to venture out further than what we.
Speaker 6: Know we would do.
Speaker 1: After a short while, I noticed on the floating in the sea it appeared to be three floating objects, which at a distance was unusual, you.
Speaker 5: Know, as we were sort of just canoeing around looking about, or I hadn't noticed something, but I just totally discarded it.
Speaker 4: It wasn't until he sort of shouted body at me.
Speaker 2: I was just like what.
Speaker 1: As I approached them, realize that he.
Speaker 11: Was obviously our body, a large body because it was oversized, somewhat inflated, but the feet were floating out of the water and the torso the head was face downwards in the water.
Speaker 4: He got me to go in call up nine ninety nine.
Speaker 1: I'll determine to stay with the body, come what may. But I did expect the rescue service would have been there sooner rather than later. It mightn't have been in the water cano in in the dark for nely three hours. He does get a bit unnerving. You can't ignore a body. Since you find a body, just say it's there. I guess I think I can still see the body flats on.
Speaker 2: The body was taken to a mortuary in Bournemouth, but it would be almost a week before it was identified as that of missing businessman Neil Chowman.
Speaker 6: I went to Bournemouth and saw the body. The first time I had a look on Neil's face. I could I could see that he suffered a tragic debt. Here was he suffered a violent debt.
Speaker 9: He had received a blunt drawn ra injury to the back of his head. He had had a packing tape wound round his mouth, but the main blow to the head, followed by a subsequent suffocation, is the likely cause of death of mister Chohan.
Speaker 2: While Neil Chohan's clothes were removed for forensic analysis, a hundred miles away police was still searching for evidence that his body had been buried in Belinda Bruin's field.
Speaker 9: The sight of the dig obviously became extremely important and we recovered some substantial evidence from that dig site, namely hares from their burnt clothing jewelry, which suggested that there had been, in fact been a burial site. Those hares were subsequently identified as mister Chohan's. He had been murdered at some stage he had been placed in the grave down in Devon, that he had been exhumed from that grave at a later date put into a boat. The boat had gone out into the middle of the bay at Bournemouth and dumped it into the sea.
Speaker 3: Until his body was found. We all hoped that he would be back one day, even if he had sold the company or not, he would still be back one day just to to visit us or whatever. But when his body was found, you had just lost all hope and that it was the end of him.
Speaker 5: But then our concerns sort of we knew what happened to Anil, but then our concerns drifted towards Nancy and the kids and the mother.
Speaker 9: The fact that the dig site was so big, and that if if you had wanted just to hide one body, you wouldn't needed to have gone to the extent of digging such a huge sight. Couple with the fact the entire family had gone missing. Couple with the fact there had been a bonfire there and we had recovered some items of jewelry which we believed to belong to Nancy. And also there was some small poppers found that that one would find on baby gross suits, so we believed that the family had all been put into the ground at that point. From that moment on, the entire investigation changed focus and became a category A, which is the highest category of murder inquiry. Kenneth Reagan, obviously, from that point on, became prime suspect. At that stage, Reagan's whereabouts were unknown, as were Hauntsey's. They were very much on the loose, so to speak.
Speaker 4: I was a bit overcome by the whole thing, really, and I don't really know what I thought, but it never sort of maybe I just didn't want to think that somebody had been buried in my field, so I tried to make myself busy, and I noticed that my horse had ripped its horse blanket, so I took it off the horse, put it in the car, and I drove up the lane and lo and behold, I bumped into Reagan and Haunsey, who were in a car. I was really shocked to see them, and Reagan wound the window down and I said to what are you doing here? And he said we need to have a little chat. And Haunsey then said, why didn't you get in the car. We'll go and have a coffee. And I thought, well, I don't want to get in the car with them. So I had the horse blanket next to me, and there was a little cottage just and I said, I've got to take this back. I've borrowed this from you know. Pointed to I've got to take it back, and they were expecting it back. I'll be back in two minutes, I said, so they said okay. So I drove off and I drove round the corner and I phoned d Iral and he said, whatever you do, don't get in the car with them. So I said, okay. He said, I'm going to send two police officers back. Two police officers arrived, but Reagan and Hauntsey had gone.
Speaker 2: Reagan and Haunsey had escaped to Europe, leaving Peter Reese behind. But alone and on the run, Reese developed a guilty conscience.
Speaker 12: I think he was cornered. He didn't know me from Adam. He just came in, sat down, and more or less started pull on his heart.
Speaker 2: At at the time, Wendy Powells was staying at a boarding house when a new lodger moved in within hours. Reese made a startling confession.
Speaker 12: I just took him as any you know, new lodger that came there until he started saying, have I seen him on TV? And I said no, should I have done, and so I just wondered, he said, because I have been on TV and I thought, oh, he's not a celebrity or anything.
Speaker 7: You know.
Speaker 12: He didn't look that way, and he just said that he was involved with an Asian family that had disappeared.
Speaker 4: They could put me at the scene.
Speaker 12: Of where the bodies were buried, but I didn't kill anybody. Was going. You know, they can't do that. They can paign that on me. And I'd say to him, you know what is going on?
Speaker 4: You know?
Speaker 12: He just said that Reagan was crazy because he killed two children. I gasped and I said, hey, did you were they killed? He said that Reagan had shot them. It was Reagan. He's his psycho, he said he killed them all. I knew what I had to do because how many people coming to your home every day and say that they've killed five people and two babies, three adults and two babies.
Speaker 2: Wendy Powells alerted the police, and after just twelve days on the run, Peter Reese was arrested at a nearby pub. Despite his confession to Wendy Powell's, Reese refused to answer any questions and the whereabouts of the Chowen family remained a mystery, but three weeks later a fisherman discovered another body floating in the solent.
Speaker 6: I was told that Nancy's body was decomposed, but I interested on seeing the body because for me, it was not a securitan. For me, it was my baby sister. For me, she was she was still alive, and I was to her.
Speaker 4: And that was it.
Speaker 6: Tearful goodbye, That's what I said. I felt sorry that I can't hear her. I did sear dead, nanty. I tried my best, but I can't tear you.
Speaker 2: Kenneth Reagan was tracked down by police in Belgium after two months on the run, and just six weeks later, William Harnsey gave himself up. The three prime suspects were now in custody, but they refused to answer any questions. With three family members still missing and no witnesses to the murders, police needed hard evidence to link their suspects to the crime. Little did they realize that the vital clue they needed had been left by Neil Chohan himself. April two thousand and five saw the start of the longest criminal trial in the history of the Old Bailey Police were trying to prove that Kenneth Reagan, William Hornsey and Peter Reese had abducted and murdered all five members of the Chohan family. The nine month trial saw almost four and a half thousand different exhibits from financial transactions to petrol receipts, but it was telephone tracking evidence which provided the foundation for the whole case.
Speaker 9: We got ourselves into position where we pretty much knew exactly what had gone on and could give a very clear indication to the trial the enormity of the crime and who'd committed it.
Speaker 2: Initially, police had established Reagan and Chohan's movements by tracking their mobiles. Once they gained access to Haunsey and Reese's phones, they had compelling evidence for an abduction.
Speaker 9: Our telephone intelligence had suggested that mister check Johan had been with mister Reagan, Haauntsey and Reese, and then the telephones traveled down to Wilton in Salisbury, namely three Forge Close, which was Ken Reagan's home address. Over the critical period when mister Johan had initially been had gone missing, there was never a time that one of those telephones wasn't in that area, leading us to believe he was being guarded at number three Forge Close.
Speaker 2: All the men could now be placed at the scene, but detectives still needed further clues as to what really happened at three Forge Close. In the run up to the trial, they unexpectedly received some vital new evidence from one of the suspect's own relatives.
Speaker 13: Mister Hauntsey's son approached police and produced to us alex Mark color printer and also this gray suitcase, which contained a number of pieces of a four paper with mister Chohan's signature.
Speaker 2: On the printer and documents from Horns's suitcase explained how Reagan had managed to convince the staff at SIBA that Neil Chohen had sold the company and left the country. Police argued that Neil Chohan was held at three Forge Close so Reagan could force him to sign the documents under duss what.
Speaker 13: Are you playing at?
Speaker 4: What are you doing? Just fucking sign it.
Speaker 2: The suitcase contained ten blank sheets with Showen's signature spares, which Reagan could have used to produce other forgeries if they were needed.
Speaker 9: Reagan's initial plan was to get rid of Annual Chohan. I think once he'd gone down that road, he was left in a position where he had to murder the entire family because he knew that had he not done so, that Nancy would have raised the alarm. We could see clearly from the telephone intelligence that while mister Reese remained in Salisbury, Reagan and Hauntsy traveled to London to Sutton Road, Hounslow, where they spent several hours. I can only guess, but it's possible that that is when the family met their deaths in that address. I don't know that to date. What I can say is that Reagan haunts you were in the area, and I can say that the family disappeared on that day. For mister Reagan, these murders were something he had to do to get what he wanted, and it was meant almost meant little to him as changing his shirt.
Speaker 2: The police were unable to establish precisely where or when the family were murdered, but they were convinced that Neil Chohen had been killed at Reagan's bungalow. The problem was proving it.
Speaker 13: We carried out a full forensic examination of the premises over many days. There was nothing significantly found there. The reasons for this was that the room had been recently decorated, and certainly the furniture from that room was certainly removed, and Reagan had replaced it immediately with new furniture.
Speaker 9: The fact that premises had been redecorated, the carpet had been removed, the sofa had been removed, really was clearly indicative of someone trying to conceal evidence and clean up a crime scene.
Speaker 2: But despite the suspicious activity at the house, it was not proof that Chohen had been murdered by Reagan. It was only a single extraordinary piece of evidence that will convince the jury beyond reasonable doubt, a clue which had been initially overlooked by the scientists and left in storage for almost eight months, A clue left by Neil Chohan himself.
Speaker 13: We have two exhibits here. One is the right sock of mister Chohan, which was taken from him at the post autumn down in Dorsets. Most of the clothes were submitted immediately to the Forensic Science Service for examination, but socks. Normally is very little evidential value in socks. But for completeness, we decided to send the remaining items of clothing to the scientists who had requested them. When the scientists unpackaged the sock and examined it. Inside was found a folded piece of paper. As you can see, it's in a very delicate state. He has been dried, but it's obviously been in the seawater. I think the way it's been folded so many times has protected it. And it's a letter from the Cheltenham and Gloucester Building Society and it's addressed to mister Reagan of number three Forged Close, and it's dated the twelfth of February two thousand and three, which clearly meant it arrived the day we believe mister Chohan was being held captive at Forge Close. You can only imagine the fear that mister Chohan would have been in to secret this in his person, and certainly to put it into his sock. He must have realized that he faced imminent death.
Speaker 9: Of course's overwhelming evidence of the message that mister Chohan was trying to descend from beyond the grave as to who had actually murdered him.
Speaker 2: After a nine month trial, the jury reached a unanimous verdict. Peter Reese was sentenced to twenty three years for the murder of Neil Chohen Harnsey and Reagan each received five consecutive life sentences for murdering the Chohen family. They will never be released from prison. The remains of Challenge at Corps Neil Chohen's mother in law, were eventually found off the coast of the Isle of Wight. The bodies of the two babies, eighteen month old di Wnder and eight week old Ravender, have never been found.
Speaker 9: I think that the killing of any child is extremely tragic, and I think as a police officer, having investigated such crimes, you can normally see a reason why that happened. Someone snapped, someone was depressed, someone was mentally ill, and there's normally a variety of motivations for a child being murdered. In these circumstances, the motivation was purely self gain and greed, and for me, I found that particularly horrific.
Speaker 6: I still have nightmares about all the killers might have killed Nancy, or who was killed first. Was Nancy killed in front of my mom, or my mom killed in front of Nancy, or the kid killed in front of Mom and Nancy. And it's just very hard, you know, and I don't think I'll ever be able to come to terms with it.
Speaker 2: Uncle returned to New Zealand. He would never meet his sister's children. The only time he saw them altogether was on a family video he found in their empty home.
Speaker 6: When I found Nancy's video was filmed just two days before the disappearance, Hello, and I could see in the video of the family celebrating life and the kids playing in the house. The eldest son, he took his first steps in the video, and my mom, she was very happy in the video. When I had looked at the video, I was very happy, you know, because I never actually saw Anil and Nancy living together.
Speaker 13: It's probably gardener, very nice.
Speaker 6: But through that video, I came to know that Nancy was very happy with Neiland. She was, you know, she was very lucky to have a guy like Anil with her. Every time I close my eyes, I can I can see Nancy smiling and as if nothing has happened. She's still there and she's waiting for me to come over.
Speaker 1: Bat Fold actuated b