Speaker 1: Hey, it's Neil Savedra.
Speaker 2: You're listening to kfi EM six forty The Fork Report on demand on the iHeartRadio app. If you feel like chatting with us, you can use the talkback feature.
Speaker 1: Pretty cool.
Speaker 2: It's got a little red circle with a mic in it, and you press that and you've got like thirty seconds and it goes right to us here and we can hear them, and then we connect and we'll be buds forever, friends for life. Except you'll come up to me and I won't know who you are, and the hug will probably be a little awkward for me. That's okay, I'm a hugger. Just don't go from a wallet which has moths in it. Welcome to the Fork Report on Neil Savager. By the way, in kind of the giddy, playful mood, I've been chatting with Kyla. We just catching up on life, news in the world, and this is a place, if you're not familiar with it, where for three hours we kind of break from the heaviness of that stuff and come together and just celebrate food. Know there's a lot going on, but you know what, there's a lot of good going on too. Nobody talks about the good stuff. Hey, I had a great day. My boy, my little boy eight years old the other day told me that he had one of the best days of his life the other day.
Speaker 1: And you know what we did.
Speaker 2: It was just the family together, throwing footballs back and forth in the pool, grilling. So there's good stuff, and we have to remind ourselves of that. And you know, with grilling season being here, even though in southern California it's always grilling season, I wanted to talk about burgers, something seemingly so simple, but technique and ingredients are imperative because of its simplicity. When you're making something complex, a lot of times it can, you know, kind of hide behind all the other ingredients and the complexity of it. But the more simple something is that you're going to cook or make, the more right on the money has to be. And I hear this probably more than any other thing. Pizza dough is probably up there somewhere, but more than any other thing. I'm asked about the perfect burger, which lends one to ask, or leads one to ask, what is perfect to you? Do you like a thick burger a thin burger? Do you like thin patties? Like a smash burger, but you want two of them. My brother cannot eat a double patty. He thinks it's gross. I know, right, he just can't. He won't have like a double cheeseburger or something. Yes, I know your next question is gonna be even at in and out it's a single like he doesn't go and give me a double dove like the rest of us humans and that because that's not his jam.
Speaker 1: But why is it gross? Like is it just too much meat? Something?
Speaker 2: But I mean even but you would think, well, what about a smash burger? But even a smashburger bothers him.
Speaker 1: I have no idea. I don't do.
Speaker 2: Therapy on this show whole other show. But so I want to talk about these. So whatever your perfect burger is, let's go through some of the things you're gonna need. The biggest problem people will say is my burgers turn out to dry. So there's two things that can go wrong when your burgers go dry. Wrong meat ratio or wrong meat altogether or cooked too long, just overcooked. So the right meat to use. And I'm sorry for those of you who are like, oh, I'm gonna make a chicken burger.
Speaker 1: It's going to be dry.
Speaker 2: Probably you're opting for ground beef with good fat content, and you can't get that anywhere else than an eighty twenty ratio. That means eighty percent lean twenty percent fat, which is the exact opposite of my body makeup. Strangely enough, if you're playing the home game. So for a juicy burger, which my boy loves, Daddy, make me one of your juicy cheeseburgers, you need an eighty twenty ratio. So if you're going lean on the meat, you will not get this, You just won't. You gotta avoid lean meat. That's you know, lean meat. You put it if you're mixing it into your spaghetti sauce or you're doing something like that. That's when you go for the lean stuff. But don't do it when you're doing a burger when it's the star of the show, right, So avoid that because it's gonna, you know, give you dry burgers. The second thing is that when you're cooking the burger, people tend to overcook them. Yes, you want them at a certain dunness. The better quality of the meat, the looser you can be with the heat. I kind of hesitate saying this because reality is you need to know what you're doing. The reason why you can have a rare or medium rare steak and then at a restaurant when you ask for a burger medium rare, they said, okay, that's this. And then there's a little thing on the menu that says having hamburger meat less than one hundred and sixty five degrees can be dangerous. Is because when you grind a steak to make hamburger meat, the steak has the most bacteria on the outside and it's most preserved on the inside. Once you grind it, they all mete with each other and now all the bacteria is throughout the entirety. That is why hamburgers should be cooked to one sixty five. So what I do to keep them from drying out is I slowly.
Speaker 1: If it's a thicker burger, I put it on high heat.
Speaker 2: I'm searing that while I'm cooking it, turning it over and then bringing it. I bring it up to a top rack off of the direct heat, and that's where I put my cheese on it, drop the lid and melt the cheese. But what I'm doing is that heat is going to continue to travel from the outside to the inside of the meat. As I take it off and as I put it on to the plate, it will continue to cook and then it will get to a nice juicy state rather than cooking it to one hundred and sixty five and then taking it off, it's going to go up to about one hundred and seventy.
Speaker 1: Five after that.
Speaker 2: So that's one of the things that you have to battle with is the keeping those juices in there. When we come back, I'll talk about the tricks and tips you need to actually make those patties.
Speaker 1: There are a trick to it.
Speaker 2: My mom makes great patties, always have, probably because with seven kids you couldn't spend a lot of time on them. And that's really the tip that we'll get into to get those patties perfect for grilling or roasting. If you're you know, if you're putting them under the broiler, whatever it is on pans here.
Speaker 1: We'll get back to that when we return.
Speaker 3: You're listening to the Fork Report with Nil Savedra on demand from KFI AM six forty.
Speaker 2: How you doing just celebrating food on a Saturday. Still a little hazy out there, But I gotta tell you, man, because it's like started with the June and gloom every single day, but man, the heat gets up and it's just these lovely Southern California days. Great for grilling. Been doing a lot of grilling, enjoying that. I hope you're doing the same. I want to remind you a couple of things. One, Moe Kelly is on YouTube every night during his show. You've got to check it out. There are so many times that I'm either in my home office or in my home shop and I have them on and it's exactly like sitting as I have done, and I've sat with him during his show before. It's exactly like doing that. But you're at home. So if you're in your Tony's or something, no one's going to have a problem. If you do that live with Mo, there's a problem, trust me. I found that out the hard way. But it's it's a lot of fun and it's an interesting way to listen and enjoy the program, all right. Also want to remind you that the twelfth, Saturday, July twelfth, write that down. Join me at Wild Fork Foods in Santa Clarita. That's right off the Magic Mountain Parkway. There in store at wild Fork Foods and if you've never been to one, man, it's spectacular. You can get all kinds of rare meats and things like that as well as your classics. But they also have pre prepared stuff. A unique experience to say the least when shopping. But it's a summer grilling season. We'll be doing giveaways broadcasting live right there at two four one seven five Magic Mountain Parkway. I would love to meet you. I'm going to bring some swag to give away, some Folk Report swag as well. So July twelfth on Magic Mountain Parkway at Wild Fork.
Speaker 1: So write that down.
Speaker 2: Talking about technique of the week and burger patties. I know it seems simple, but man, if you can't get a burger patty right, then people will hate your guts. There, I said it. That's your life is going to be people hating you and talking bad behind your back. There is nothing more sad to me. And someone makes bad burgers because you know those people you invited, they may be smiling now and all of that, and you can tell they're the ones that are putting, you know, three times the amount of condiments on the burger that they should be because that's how bad it is, and they're going to talk bad about you. So it should be a point of pride. When you make the patties. You want to keep the ground beef cold. You want to keep it cold until you're ready to make those patties. Cold hands too, And it's one of the people that one of the things people do, and one of the tips that I've seen is a capable of ice water next to them and you can actually put your hands in the ice water when you're packing them. The key to this is you want to make them you know, quickly. You do not want to overwork the meat. You want to gently shape them. This will help you get little pockets in there that will hold the juices. If you make it too dense, you're going to get a dry burger. There's nowhere for that juice to kind of hang out. Also, when you have your hands are naturally warm, and they are going to heat the fat. And that's why when you make patties for too long with too warm hands, you come and you're you pull your hands away and your hands are covered in fat, even chunks of fat, and those chunks you've actually pulled because you've ground, they've ground the meat together, so you got the eighty twenty meat and that twenty percent fat is now getting onto your hands, which makes the patty have less than twenty percent fat, and that will make them. You want patties to be slightly larger than the buns because they're going to shrink during cooking.
Speaker 1: Some people do this.
Speaker 2: I do this on occasion, depending on if I'm hand making my patties means I'm not using anything else to create their shape. Then I will put a little divot, a little divot in the center of the burger, and that way, when it can constricts because of the heat, it'll push that divot out rather than making it look like a football. Some people will put when they go to put it on the grill, they'll put a piece of ice on It does similar thing. It keeps it very cool on the inside and the top so that it doesn't constrict.
Speaker 1: As fast.
Speaker 2: As far as seasoning goes, salt and pepper is great. You really don't need anything else. I'll tell you something I'm a fan of, though, and this was because my mom is lowery seasoning. Salt love that on a burger. I just you know, and I'm mostly a salt and pepper. Guy like when it comes to meat, I'm like, hey, just you want it to taste like the meat, not a seasoning. But I do love me some lowery seasoning salt and it goes great on a patty. So you don't want to salt too early. Can you know? The thing about salt is it pulls moisture out, so you do it right before it goes on, and you want it on a hot pan or grill. You get that sears. It's almost the opposite of cooking a steak, where you're doing a reverse sere. High heat, does that great crust, Oh that crunchy, lovely crust, and avoid pressing down on the patties. But as far as flipping them, flip them out over once you want. People say, oh, you should only flip it once. If that's how you grill them, that's fine, But there is no real difference there is, like people. Matter of fact, science has shown that the more you flip meat, it actually rotates the juices, just like a rotisserie does on the chicken and can actually keep it more flavorful.
Speaker 1: But the.
Speaker 2: Seer gets there because of the heat, right, and if you flip a bunch of times you won't get that seer because the grate that you're cooking on or the pan never gets time to come back to heat high heat again because that burger every time you flip it is stealing heat from there. So, for instance, when I cook burgers, if I'm cooking for burgers because my wife doesn't eat red meat, I'm doing it just for my son and me, and so I will make room so that when I flip them after the first sear, I'm flipping them not back to where they were, but onto a new part of the great so that they get that full heat again and that works nicely. And then if I need to flip them over again, the part that I didn't flip them on before is now hot enough to do that.
Speaker 1: So those are some things.
Speaker 2: Let them rest a few minutes to really what you want them to do is to come to one hundred and twenty degrees in the center. Is when they've rested enough, that goes down, so they've gone from their high heat down to one twenty. And you know they're not gonna squeeze out. But I can eyeball this a little more than I do with a steak. I'm very specific about my steaks and timing. But then you choose your toppings. I like grilled onions on there. That sweetness and that depth of flavor is always great. Pick your cheese, all of those things and you're good to go. Mmm burgers.
Speaker 3: You're listening to The Fork Report with Nil Sevedra on demand from KFI AM six forty.
Speaker 1: How do you do. Thanks for hanging out today.
Speaker 2: We'll be with you until five o'clock as we celebrate food kind shake off the heaviness of the week or news and everything else going on in the world and just celebrate food. The people that make it, the culture behind it. Want to remind you we will be out and about starting July twelfth. Saturday, July twelfth, I would love for you to join me at Wild Fork Foods in Santa Clarita. Haven't been up there in a while, just off a Magic Mountain Parkway. Starting at two pm. Got a live in store broadcast. We're going to be celebrating the summer grilling season and we got a lot going on. We've got Wild Fork food samples. They're going to be cooked by a grill pit master. There prizes every fifteen minutes, including the chance to win what they're calling the Fork in the Road Chef's package. It features a barbecue proteins from Wild Fork along with tickets to see the Dodgers, also a dining experience in the Hornblower Dining Yacht. And that's going to be on July Saturday, July twelfth, So write that down Wild Fork in Santa Clarita. That's two four one seventy five Magic Mountain Parkway. Don't miss out. It's just a one day live broadcast. We'll have food, prizes and more details at KFI AM six forty dot com slash Wild Fork.
Speaker 1: I hope to see you there.
Speaker 2: We're putting together our next guest coming up, as we have a lot of guests today scheduled, so as we get ready and prepared for them to come in and hang out with us, I wanted to tell you about something I saw at Aldi, which, if you don't know, Aldi is a German grocer. They do have this one aisle that people refer to the as the isle is shame. And I don't know if that means that it's Aldi's shame. I don't think so. I think it's people shamefully walk up and down looking for cool things. That's what it probably comes down to. But it's this strange aisle that is like no other aisle. It's not a grocery store, an aisle you see in other grocery stores. It can have you know, electron small electronics there, it can have dishes. They actually have their own brand of dish and housewares, you know, kind of like Kirklin I guess at Costco. But the thing is, they have this one serving dish right now. So imagine this. You've got a round, a bit a large round lazy susan that is made out of melamine, melon, melon, melanine, not them. I think that's right. Every time I say it, I want to correct myself. That is sturdy, great for the backyard. And then within that large bowl is the section sectioned off for their bowls as well, but they're shaped more oblong. And then in the center is a small round bowl for dips. So imagine you can put your crew to tay around it. The like almost identical serving trays are in some other food focused and cooking focused stores, for like seventy seventy five Bucks. Here it's nineteen ninety nine. A huge, huge difference in the cost and the fact that you can get something like this for so inexpensive before.
Speaker 1: Fourth of July is a hot deal in my book.
Speaker 2: So if you're planning to do something in the house on Fourth July, or you're hanging out with friends and family, this is going to be an absolute key buy. And I know they're flying off the shelves, but I wanted to give you a heads up hoping that they'll still be there. If you have an Aldi local to you, you got to check us out.
Speaker 1: It's white and blue. It's white with.
Speaker 2: Some blue designs on it, but it is almost identical to ones I've seen at other stores that sell you know, housewares in the like, and it's less than half of that much less than half of what they're selling another one. So if you do get it, take a pick. Hit me up on social media at FOK Reporter. I'd love to see it. I just when there's these deals like this, I just do my best to make sure that we get them to you and you know what's going on.
Speaker 1: All right, stick around.
Speaker 2: Much more to get to, including Nancy mckeerney from bake House Bread is coming on talk about Fourth July and fun stuff, So go to wear. You've been listening to The Fork Report. You can always hear us live on KFI AM six forty two to five pm on Saturday, and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio app How do you Do?
Speaker 4: And?
Speaker 2: Boy, am I a bad host? I completely completely screwed up there. I would both be talking to Nancy McCarney and from a bake House Bread Company thinking she was here in person and not on the phone. Because we have so many guests today. Nancy, welcome to the Fork Report.
Speaker 4: Hi, how are you?
Speaker 1: You're good? Apparently losing my damn mind, but I'm all right. We have so many guests coming in.
Speaker 4: I've lost mine too.
Speaker 2: So I didn't even look to see whether. But of course you're out there in Arizona, which I'm gonna assume it's warmish.
Speaker 4: It's very warm. I think we're one o two today.
Speaker 1: Oh my gosh, out there. So we do visit you. We just tried that to during the summer.
Speaker 4: Good call, great call.
Speaker 2: But bake House Bread Company, why don't you start just give us a synopsis of what people will find when they go to Big Housebread Company dot com.
Speaker 4: So we have we we've been in business since nineteen ninety six. We started out as a like a local shop here and now we're nationwide with Croker, so you'll find us in Ralphs locally there. We've been in Ralphs for about four years. Our best seller is zucchini bread and yeah, yeah, it's it's it's actually based on my mother's recipe, so kind of fun.
Speaker 1: I love it.
Speaker 2: That's such a great it's a good summer bread too, it's fresh and it's a.
Speaker 4: Great And we have a pineapple coconut that's a great one too, and banana kind of the tried and true. Uh yeah. So and then if you go to bake housefread coompany dot com. Though we have a number of other flavors and hopefully in the next month you'll be able to buy directly from our website. So we've been working fast and furious to make that available for people because we have a lot of we have a lot of winter visitors here and they go back to wherever they've come from and can't always find our products. So we want to support people.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's great. I would imagine. You know, like most breads, they do freeze well, so if you had.
Speaker 4: To, you know, they freeze very well.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, okay, Well today brings you to us because the fourth July is coming up and you have some ideas to create some red, white and blueberry charcuti ree boards.
Speaker 1: Yes, so please give us some tips. Blue foods are hard to come back.
Speaker 4: Well, you know, charcuterier boards are highly shareable, kind of grab and go easy for your party. I actually have two parties I'm going to go to, and I plan to grab some fresh strawberries, fresh blueberries, probably some raspberries and bread those on a tray, and I'm going to cut up probably our coconut, pineapple and banana and zucchini and either chunk them up and then have a bowl of whip cream or a squirty bottle with cream and the holes and people can either grab and put in a bowl and score a little with cream and make their own kind of their own parfait.
Speaker 2: You're speaking my language now, How do you know it's so good? I mean everything that sounds delicious. But Nancy, how do you know when people you say you've got a couple parties to go to, how do you know when they're inviting Nancy or when they're inviting Nancy's charcoutery boards and fresh baked bread. But what do you mean, well, what if they're using it for your food?
Speaker 1: Nancy.
Speaker 2: I hate to be the one that broke this to you. I'm just saying, like, how do you know that they want you there? Or if they're just saying, bring the goods, Nancy, and you can leave when you want.
Speaker 4: It's the thing I usually I usually bring them some extra loaves on the side for their freether.
Speaker 1: I bet you're incredibly popular, very popular.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, I love there's there's something that I know that our country, our wonderful, beautiful country, has all kinds of ups and downs going on currently as it has throughout its history. But Fourth of July to me means it really focuses on our entire history and we the people coming together. And I have the best memories of connecting with family and neighbors and things like that, and I think that one of the things that speaks to that are the desserts or the sharing of food, or you know, the picnic style atmosphere. All these things come together. And I love that you've kind of focused in on that. Your social media I want to hit as well. Your Instagram bake House Bread Company at bake House Bread Company. Same on Facebook there as well, and the website is Bakehousebreadcompany dot com. You know, Nancy, I'm so sorry we didn't have because of my mistake. We only had a shortened segment here.
Speaker 1: But I'm gonna invite you to come back on.
Speaker 4: Oh we'd love to you love to. I appreciate it so and uh I liked the tip about Aldi that you shared Earl.
Speaker 2: Telling you, sister, you're gonna love that thing. It's beautiful and it's great for the backyard.
Speaker 1: I know, I love the tip. Yeah. Uh so, Nancycurity. Uh, they're at bake House Bread Company.
Speaker 2: So you're gonna go you're gonna be able to sell or you're going to be selling bread on that website how soon?
Speaker 4: Yes, yes, in in in the next month, in the next month, go to bakehousebread Company dot com and uh yeah, our Yes, this is what.
Speaker 1: We'll do, Nancy.
Speaker 2: All have Kayla connect with you and when you go live on the website, you come back on and we'll spend some more time again.
Speaker 4: I would love to.
Speaker 1: That would be free.
Speaker 4: I would love to. That would be terrific. All right, you have a wonderful day.
Speaker 3: You stay out of that Arizona he You're listening to The Fork Report with Nil Savedra on demand from KFI a M six forty m